[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: hexen box.jpg (114 KB, 640x821)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLNhOXZGeds

Forgetting that it's the N64 port they're reviewing, Hexen was always a bad game, even for the era. It was trying to be "Doom, but as a fantasy RPG", but it was just a really bad Doom total conversion because it didn't go far enough to change things. Strife went full hog in being an RPG and wasn't just a "Doom but-"

Hexen is like if Blizzard released a sci-fi themed version of Diablo shortly after its success and just changed swords to laser swords and magic was now nanobots
>>
>>5201735
People are annoyed that they're trashing the game based on a port to an inferior system that's irrelevant today (besides to N64 superfans perhaps). I mean of fucking course the controls in a 90s console FPS are gonna be bad.
>>
I remember thinking HeXen seemed so cool when I was a kid. I tried playing it maybe a year or so ago and I got lost, bored, and didn't bother playing much more of it.
>>
>>5201749
I played it when it was new, when FPSes were still fresh (so you'd play any of them as long as they weren't just Wolfenstein clones) and I was in love with the gothic medieval hell design you saw in games like Diablo

Thought it sucked then too.
>>
Hexen is just OK. Good things and bad things
>>
>>5201756
I vaguely recall playing it at a CompUSA before I got it, but I was a kid so when I did wind up getting it, I was probably more focused on the badass monster enemies than how the game actually played.
>>
I would rather kill myself than play a Hexen level.
>>
First Person Switch Hunter
>>
>>5201791
>>5201758
>>5201749
I recommend skipping original campaign and just playing Deathkings expansion.
>>
>search the whole level for the brown switch in the corner of two brown walls behind a brown tree
>"a door has been unlocked somewhere"
>"a fourth of the puzzle has been solved"
>>
Hexen 64 is great. The texture smoothing helps the graphics immensely, making everything much easier on the eyes, the controls work great, and the framerate is good.

Shows how many brainlets there are that not only are not able to get anywhere in Hexen, but they shit mindlessly on a near perfect retro port.
>>
>>5201735
>if Blizzard released a sci-fi themed version of Diablo shortly after its success and just changed swords to laser swords and magic was now nanobots

So, Total Annihilation?
>>
>>5201735
>Other people get angry when someone shits on a game they're a fan of.
>Other people have opinions different to me.

wtf is this thread.
If you want to talk about the game talk about it, don't talk about other people's opinions and asking "why they're so angry in the comments", that's retarded.
>>
>>5201735
>but as a fantasy RPG

It isn't an RPG at all you pleb.
>>
>>5202178
Or the original Starcraft.
>>
>>5201735
>Hexen was always a bad game, even for the era. It was trying to be "Doom, but as a fantasy RPG", but it was just a really bad Doom total conversion because it didn't go far enough to change things.
no, that's Heretic, Hexen is an interesting game and I quite like it (played it last year for the first time as well as Heretic)
>>
>>5202927
It's like a FPS shooter mixed with RPG game

>>5202168
I might be dumb but the game still sucks
>>
>>5204072
>It's like a FPS shooter mixed with RPG game

No it is not. Medieval, swords and magic type games don't automatically mean RPG. You simply choose a character and that is it. There is nothing RPG about the game stupid fuck.
>>
>there are people who actually got lost in Hexen
Holy shit, it's hilarious.
Especially if they somehow got lost in Seven Portals.
>>
>>5201735
>Hexen was always a bad game, even for the era.

I dont know if I agree with that but the N64 kinda sucked.
>>
>>5204156
You have an inventory and can drink potions. You have stats and can level up. It's an RPG, deal with it autist.
>>
>>5202178
>>5203995
TA and Starcraft are not ARPGs dummies.
>>
>>5204187
I guess virtually every modern AAA game is an RPG then.
>>
>>5204194
You can't level up and increase your stats in most games. It's a strict RPG trope.
>>
>>5204190
It's a metaphor, genius.
Doom reskinned into "Hexen" is comperable to Blizzard reskinning Warcraft 2 into "Starcraft". Which is what they did.
>>
>>5204201
No, was a terrible analogy. DOOM and Hexen have far more in common than Diablo and Starcr-
>Warcraft 2
There you go. Much better comparison.
>>
>>5204187
>You have an inventory and can drink potions.
So DN3D and Blood are RPG too?
>You have stats and can level up.
Confirmed for never playing the first Hexen.
>>
>>5204196
You can't level up and increase your stats in Hexen.
Perhaps you confused it with Witchaven or Hexen 2.
>>
>>5204196
>strict RPG trope
No. (Almost) All RPGs have leveling and stats but not all games with leveling and stats are RPGs. LoL/DOTA have all these things but they aren't RPGs.
>>
File: d6f.jpg (18 KB, 403x389)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>5204220
>mmoRPG
>not an rpg
>>
>>5204272
Those games are mostly called MOBAs. MMORPGs are something like Everquest or World of Warcraft.
>>
>>5201735
>Hexen is like if Blizzard released a sci-fi themed version of Diablo shortly after its success and just changed swords to laser swords and magic was now nanobots
Blizzard did exactly the shit you describe with Warcraft and Starcraft, you fucking mouthbreather.

Also the game you're describing is Heretic - Heretic was just a reskin. Hexen had a lot of stuff going for it, including being the very first FPS to include character classes - so games like Team Fortress, and by extension all of the TF2s and Overwatches and Battleborns - owe their existence to Hexen. Respect your fucking elders, scrub.
>>
>>memories flooding back
>>playing Heretic for the first time with my older brother back in the 90s
>>one of us wonders if doom cheat codes will work
>>type idkfa
>>it worked! got a magic staff, must be awesome, let's see how it compares to the bfg9000
>>press attack
>>it just does a melee poke
>>well, maybe it 1shots enemies?
>>theory fails miserably
>>wait where are our other weapons
>>fuck

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.