[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: BookReaderImages[1].jpg (284 KB, 1263x1642)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>Ellis
>>
>Final Fantasy IV Easytype (Final Fantasy II)

That's way more funnier, Easytype was made after US II and wasn't based on it. But it's still amusing to see that misconception being printed in an old magazine.

>Claude
I remember back before it's US release people were so sure that was suppose to be his name, there was someone who posted their translation of the Jap game and used that name along with other interesting choices like Turx instead of Turks.
>>
>>5200953
Still better than Aerith.
>>
>>5200985
>I remember back before it's US release people were so sure that was suppose to be his name
I was pretty young at the time and didn't give a shit one way or the other about Final Fantasy or JRPGs but even I remember hearing this a few times.
>>
>>5200953
>In Square tradition your pets aid you in combat
What Square games other than Secret of Evermore and Edge's in FF6 did that occur in the US before FF7?
>>
>>5202117
Whoops forgot about the GB games!
>>
>>5202117
They were probably thinking of Summons and not playable characters per se.
>>
>>5200953
>Deep Dungeon was Square's first RPG
I had no idea.

Explains why it sucks so hard
>>
Cloud is クラウド in Japan. This could reasonably be interpreted as either Cloud or Claude, if you're going with the common English pronunciation, which sounds basically like "clawed." Valkyria Chronicles 4 wisely chose to go with the true French pronunciation of クロード for Claude, although in the actual English version of the game, it's pronounced "clawed."

エアリス on the other hand is decidedly not "Ellis." I mean... it wouldn't have an ア in there, for one. But then there's also the fact that Ellis is primarily a surname, and then after that is usually an old-timey man's name, mainly black men.

The world's worst syllabary/alphabet strikes again
>>
Wow that's totally wrong, it's supposed to be Ellith
>>
>>5200953
Translated fictional names can be kind of ambiguous. They were just trying to map them to the most probable real western names. At least they made an effort, these days they'd just straight romanize the Japanese names.
>>
>>5203072
heh
>>
>>5202971
>But then there's also the fact that Ellis is primarily a surname, and then after that is usually an old-timey man's name, mainly black men.
Toshinden
>>
>>5202971
>エアリス on the other hand is decidedly not "Ellis." I mean... it wouldn't have an ア in there, for one. But then there's also the fact that Ellis is primarily a surname, and then after that is usually an old-timey man's name, mainly black men.

Well, the translators are working on pure guesswork at the time. They translate the name and get "earithsu", and figure that's nonsense, and try to guess what the Japanese meant. Ellis is way better a guess than the actual correct, which is "Earith", a change on the english word "Earth".
>>
Who the fuck is Ellis?
>>
It's obviously Airless.
>>
>>5206323
Definitely airless after Sephiroth skewers her
>>
>>5200985
I liked Bullet. That is a cool name, especially for a nigga with a gun arm.
>>
>>5202971
>, if you're going with the common English pronunciation, which sounds basically like "clawed."
What? クラウド sounds like 'crowd' ya deaf tit. To get 'clawed' you'd need an A sound not an U.
>>
>>5207112
that's probably why I didn't say that and went with a more abstract statement instead
>>
>>5200953
https://youtu.be/H3dToD7_ATU
>>
>>5200953
Did you know that originally Square had planned to have a second woman in the party instead of the chocobo? Some of her assets are still left on the game discs.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.