[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Alis_Landale.png (126 KB, 336x502)
126 KB
126 KB PNG
NERO! WHAT HAPP--
ENED! DON'T DIE!
>>
Game sucks.
>can't walk to second town without having to grind
>can't walk to first cave without having to grind
>>
>>5200184
Grinding IS the game.
>>
>>5200184
>>5200445
Yeah, PS1 is a lootgrind game. Something good for an afternoon where you want to just chill, like DQ1.
>>
>>5200184
>>5200445
>>5200445
>>5200462
Wrong. First 30 minutes is a grind. After that it's easy.
>>
>>5200174
Battle must have been brutal. Someone blew her panties off.
>>
>>5200445
That's terrible.
>>5200462
How come DQ never feels like a chore but PS does?
>>
>>5200462
It's not like DQ1 at all, PS1 has 5 minutes of grinding at the start but it has an interesting world (or worlds to be more precise), great dungeons, great music, and it's overall far more enjoyable to play. Maybe the appeal of DQ1 is that it tries to be as boring as possible but PS1 clearly takes a different direction.
>>
>>5200572
This. DQ1 is generic fantasy story about defeating the evil D***** Lord. PS1 rips off star wars, sure, but it has three world maps and vehicles, two spaceships, great first person dungeon crawling, multiple party members that follow you, and animated monsters.
>>
File: Phantasy Star.png (230 KB, 960x540)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
Phantasy Star: Codename Alisa
Phantasy Star 2: Silent Apocalypse
Phantasy Star: Nuptials
Phantasy Star: Blood Meseta
>>
File: Dr. Mad.png (45 KB, 768x288)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>
>>5200184
I didn't really mind it. Made me feel like a pathetic Alis that had to train to start the adventure, and getting to that point was rewarding. The rest of the game was fun and grind-free too.
>>
>>5200490
To be honest there's barely anything to do in the game except move forward and fight random battles in identical dungeons. Grinding isn't necessary anymore but you're still going to spend 95% of the game fighting.
>>
File: Gamer Miki.png (106 KB, 1600x900)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
The game is outdated by modern standards but easy enough to get into if you aren't a crybaby faggot. The game is pretty damn fun. It's not tough and frustrating like the insane hell of the Wizardry games. The faux 3D smooth scrolling dungeons were and are still are pretty damn cool especially for an 8-bit system. The game had a lot more visual polish for a RPG of its time.
>>
>>5200572
this guy gets it. DQ1 is a Ford 2GA jalopy, this is like a Mustang in comparison.
>>
>>5200184
It's good if you just use an action replay code to bump up your levels. That way you can just get on with playing the actual game without that awful mandatory grind right at the start.
>>
>>5201680
Absolutely this. The first time you stroll outside the limits of the first town, get done in by a bee or two and limp home leaves a big impression. You realise you have to train, and it effectively establishes how dangerous the world you're about to explore really is.
>>
>>5203204
In reality you're just a nerd mashing A to skip through text and the game is poorly balanced because it's based on Dragon Quest 1.
>>
>>5203210
You could say that about any game.
>>
File: zombie-animated.gif (120 KB, 500x650)
120 KB
120 KB GIF
>>5201913
>car analogy
Might as well have gone with a food analogy.

>>5202534
>I'm such a homo I can't be arsed playing the first 10 minutes of the game fairly and must cheat
>>
>>5203282
First time I saw that zombie I had nightmares. I was probably 8 at the time.

My mate had just got an SMS (I had had one for a while). He got Rastan, and Phantasy Star and said Phantasy Star wasn't good because it was too hard.

Being autistic, I grinded that first hour or so, and took it back to my friend with a save on it, telling him about how awesome it was, how you could explore dungeons. It was amazing - a whole world in this little cartridge. He got hooked and we spent 3 years playing it on weekends together (we weren't very good at games - we were like 8 and this was unlike any game we had played before).

We got lost in dungeons a lot and died a lot and also had to call the Sega Hotline to find out how to get to the Air Castle. My friends mum wasn't happy about that call ($2.99 a minute in 1990).

Awesome game. Scary Zombies.
>>
>>5203281
It's only DQ1 that forces you to grind for initial equipment.
>>
MY NAME IS RUDO

SHORT FOR RUDOLF STEINER
>>
>>5200184
Nigga Dat game is a master piece. One of the best games on the SMS. It was a breath of fresh air to see an actual 80s RPG with actual background in the battles and the dungeons are Hella fun.
>>
>>5203462
Don't forget enemy attack animations, the image cutscenes and more importantly the main characters actually had some dialogue.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (809 KB, 640x224)
809 KB
809 KB GIF
>>5203434
Phantasy Star II had the sexiest Mother Brain of all video games.
>>
File: PS2-Nei.png (28 KB, 640x448)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>5203434
Lazy NO JOB sponge NEET.
>>
>>5203531
She's only 6 months old, give her time to get an education first, eh? (She'd die of old age before finishing primary school)
>>
File: 1534620449464.gif (971 KB, 400x300)
971 KB
971 KB GIF
>>5200174

Why is she naked down there?
>>
>>5205437
those are pants unless you think she just has a different yellow skin tone from the waist down?

tights and leotards were quite popular in the 80s
>>
File: SGGG.png (710 KB, 1135x477)
710 KB
710 KB PNG
>>5205437
Based Kei poster.
>>
>>5205452
Is Tyrone wearing a bikini?
>>
How do I play the PSO series? The games have multiple rereleases and remakes and not all of them were translated in english. What's the best English version to play for all games?
>>
>>5205456
a time machine
>>
>>5205456
If you are already steeping so low as to play them in English you may as well play the GBA ports.
>>
File: title-main.png (140 KB, 640x448)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>5205454
Yes, I thought it was an animation error, but he's just wearing the top half of a breast plate and shoulder pads without any kind of shirt underneath.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhhs5UpGrRE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YquxNj4sq_g
>>
>>5205462
Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

>>5205456
If you're referring to JUST the Phantasy Star Online(PSO) series, most agree that playing the first two episodes and Blue Burst(4th episode, IIRC) are the best choices. Ephinea.net and/or schthack are the biggest private servers, both lauded and reviled for various reasons. Ignore PSO2(Japan only, though some of it's been translated, I hear?), and unless you like card games, you can ignore Episode 3 as well.

If you were referring to the series as a whole(at which point, drop the O), then you want to emulate the originals of PS1(get the FM synthesizer mod as suggested), PS2(it helps to get the Dialogue fix mod to help make a little more sense of the plot), PS3(this is a significant change from the standard formula, and thus has a black sheep tag going for it...you will love it or hate it), and PS4(the creme de la creme of the series...save it for last). You do not want to play the GBA ports as suggested because they are absolute crap in design, and there are random save slot deletions if you are unlucky(something about the music when you save, I think).
>>
>>5205456
>>5205487
Blue Burst on PC is the way to go, but if you want to just play only on a console PSO Episode 1&2 Plus for Gamecube is a pretty decent choice although a bit pricey if you want to own it legit. Having up to 4 player spit screen multiplayer is okay in a pinch.
>>
>Alis's hope cannot overcome the power of Lassic.
>>
How do I get into Phantasy Star 2? Combat seems boring.
>>
>>5207645
The fun of Phantasy Star 2 starts ramping up once the dungeons get more and more complex. Getting through them with the limited amount of healing items you can carry becomes more and more challenging. An individual combat encounter isn't supposed to be thrilling, though the occasional bullshit party wipe one can be brutal.
>>
>>5207645
PS2 just isn't worth playing compared to PS1 and PS4. It's a time sink where the enjoyment does not outweigh the tedium, longterm.
>>
>>5200174
I'm planning on playing PS4 since I keep hearing how great it is among retro JRPG circles but do I need to play the previous games first or can I just jump straight into 4?
>>
File: 1084023-alys2.jpg (34 KB, 480x480)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>5209994
You can jump straight into 4. All the stories are seperate from each other in each game, but 4 does have some references to the past games, which is probably more of a nice little nod if you've already played the earlier ones.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.