[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games


Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.



File: ff8.jpg (150 KB, 755x552)
150 KB
150 KB JPG
Misunderstood masterpiece or charming failure?
>>
>>5196097
a charming misunderstanding... but seriously, i was into pc gaming back then and i enjoyed that one more than vii or vi
>>
How about its just a failure. It feels like even less of a jrpg than Xenogears, which is an impressive achievement.
>>
>>5196097
Masterpiece
>>
I had a grand ol time when I first played it. my first final fantasy and my favorite
>>
Its pretty good
Best OST in the series
Fun to break
>>
>>5196097
Great graphics, great music, trashy no-challenge no-conflict gameplay and a pathetic failure of a script.
>>
You have to pay attention to the details to get a good idea of the story.

So you can imagine how people think the game is shit.
>>
>>5196196
It’s not like the details make for an interesting whole. You just get to learn about obnoxious shit like Moombas. You wouldn’t like a scavenger hunt either, if you were told to search for turds.
>>
>>5196097
A game for autists that cant shut the fuck up about it every week on /vr/ without realizing that more people are going to resent it like other entries in the series like FFVI which got shoved in everyone's faces for a long time and people got sick of it.
>>
>>5196320
t. brainlet

bet you think its stupid too how squall and everyone was in the same orphanage too
>>
File: Mog-Sacrifice-FFIX.png (384 KB, 638x444)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>5196097
ff9 is the misunderstood masterpiece. it went back to medieval fantasy instead of the gay ass futuristic bullshit they've been doing.
>>
I stopped playing at the part where they realize they were all orphans. The story was just so fucking retarded I couldn't go on.

Also the game was just TOO damn easy. Stock up on magic and EQUIP them (don't USE them) on characters to buff them up. Then when you fight keep cancelling the menu until you get a Limit Break. That already breaks the game but if you want to break it more, use a Limit Break with Zell or whatever the fuck his name is and do (left -> right) then (down -> up) over and over and over. Every single boss goes down easily.

So the story was too retarded for me and the gameplay was also retarded. Trust me I wanted to like the game.
>>
>>5196097
masterpiece of what? it does mechanics, plot and pace horrendously bad. It's pretty, I'll give you that
>>5196338
>ff9 is the misunderstood masterpiece
masterpiece of waiting endlessly for my ATB to fill

FF was pristine only from 5 through 7, just stop overrating the most mediocre titles
>>
>>5196371
Let's not ignore 1 and 3 here, both are excellent games
>>
>>5196097
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splitting_(psychology)
>>
>>5196097
It's hard to talk about this game one way or the other without steppung on someone's toes and starting up an argument. So rather than do that, I'll just say that I liked it.

I watch anime, so the plot didn't bother me. I like being able to do crazy builds, so the gameplay was right up my alley. Further to that point, I also like games that let you make shit, so refinement was my jam. I also really liked the cast, and it has the best music in the genre.
And don't even get me started on triple triad.

It's clearly not for everyone, but that's OK too. I don't like personalityless mass appeal games. I like games that win me over with how one of a kind they are. If you happen to like more standard games, then good. I hope you enjoy them.

But for me, even 20 years later (almost) I still play FFVIII and it's still a hotbed topic online, while games that came out last year mean nothing to me, and a lot of other people as well. That alone makes FVIII a special game in my book.
>>
I love FFVIII. It's also completely broken by Junctioning.
>>
VIII is the best video game ever made.
>>
>>5196193
Accurate description.
/thread
>>
>>5196371
Mechanics are great and the pacing is a breath of fresh air compared to many other games. What a retarded NPC response lol. Jesus christ.
>>
Most anticipated squeal that had to be so bold and ambitious that it was destined to fail to live up to the expectations of fans.

I appreciate that Square was really trying to make the most cinematic game of grand proportions but they just got lost in the weeds a bit trying to wrap what was at it's core a war film with an overarching theme of the power of love transcending time and space (literally). Another victim of Japanese overblown unsubtle melodrama.
>>
>>5196346
Most Final Fantasy games have a problem with magic being really weak compared to auto attack and FF8 is by far the worst because it, as you say, additionally has a reason NOT to use it.
>>
>>5196097
charming failure

side quests were interesting
>>
>>5196470
>Mechanics are great
great to break the game by junctioning 100 tornados by the time you reach the game, nullify roleplaying and reduce tactics to "press X to attack"
>pacing is a breath of fresh air compared to many other games
it is something new alright, we went from tightly paced games to this boring slog with endless dialogue about teenage love drama

you know what is a NPC thing to do? worshipping nostalgia. I loved MGS back in the time but now I can't see it the same way after playing much better action-stealth titles. I don't let myself to get blinded by first experiences.

You FF8 fags are always the same. "this thing is good because it's good", devoid tautology, you can't never justify the value behind things, tell me again who's the NPC.
>>
>>5196569
>you reach the game
meant dollet
>>
>>5196495
Once you release your work its no longer yours
It belongs to the consumers now
And the game is better if Rinoa is Ultimecia so Ill keep believing it
>>
>>5196097
Misunderstood.

Goat card game
Semi goat battle system

Materia is actually the goat battle system.
>>
>>5196338
Medieval fantasy is fucking boring. The magitek FF is infinitely more unique and interesting.
>>
>>5196624
based

> Squall getting lost in a time vortex and wanders around until he collapses, sees a white light and his lover reaching out to him
> No he doesn't die, it's just the power of love lol
> Squall not being seen from the others POV during credits but only Rinoa's doesn't have a bigger meaning than "supplies!"
> Ultimecia waiting at the spot where Rinoa and Squall promised to meet means nothing
> Ultimecia using the Griever GF, which is Squall's symbol that Rinoa wants as a reminder means nothing
> Rinoa going on and on about wanting to stop time means nothing.
> Ultimecia is just an asspull

Yeah sorry Kitase but I'm gonna take over the story writing of this game
>>
>>5196698
It really was a mistake for them to outright deny the theory. It fixes most of the glaring problems with the story and makes the game better in every way.
>>
>>5196097
you can't hate this game with such ost
>>
>>5196574
> grind for hours to strengthen characters
> "LOL game so easily broken!"
No shit. Tell us something else that's new.
>>
>>5196097
My favorite FF game by far.
Drawing magic was tedious though.
Otherwise fantastic game.
>>
>>5196841
Whenever somebody complains about the system you assume they don't know how to play and that they must be drawing until the end. When somebody complains and knows his stuff you still throw a fit because now suddenly the player isn't supposed to find a optimal way to play

so which one is it? also it doesn't take hours you dishonest dumbfuck, in 15-30 minutes fighting fastitocalons you can unlock card mod easily
>>
>>5196338
>he doesnt find cyberpunk dystopia to be the /comfiest/ of settings
m8
>>
>>5196501
Magic is pretty overpowered in FFVI. Other than that its situational (very strong at some parta of the game but mostly outclassed by melee at later stages)
>>
>>5196624
>>5196698
>>5196827
I still think Rinoa=Ultimecia must have been an intended part of the story at some point in development. There’s just too much that points to it and too many loose ends tied up with it for it to be a coincidence.
>>
>>5196097
Under-rated, and thats fine with me. Let cry-babies cry that junctioning is too hard. It makes me feel smarter for something I figured out to get the best use out of on the first palythrough with no guides or anything.
>>
File: 149.gif (1.71 MB, 235x150)
1.71 MB
1.71 MB GIF
>>5196624
>>5196698
>>5196827
>>5196903


>>5196827
>It fixes most of the glaring problems with the story and makes the game better in every way.

>Fixing the story by making it pointless since you achieve nothing, Riona isn't saved and Squall gains nothing from his character development making the whole story meaningless.

You fantheorists are the worst
>>
>>5196948
The canon final act of FFVIII is such pointless dogshit that yes, I do believe a gloomy ending with the cycle just repeating itself is an improvement.
>>
>>5196948
Your very limited idea of what a narrative must conform to is the worst. Enjoy being a pleb.
>>
>>5196097
It was my first Final Fantasy, I really can't slag on it.
>>
A favorite of the autistic
>>
both and neither
>>
>>5196948
>stories are only meaningfull if the MC wins something at the end

Man youd HATE asian lit
>>
>>5196671
It's really equal parts steampunk to medieval fantasy, and also done at a time when steampunk was still interesting and not done to death.
>>
>>5196948
>Fixing the story by making it pointless since you achieve nothing, Riona isn't saved and Squall gains nothing from his character development making the whole story meaningless.
Not all endings have to end with someone being saved or someone gaining something. R=U would have been a great twist and I still choose to interpret the story that way as >>5196624 does.

R=U lets you reexamine much of the game and it ties into the game's themes nicely. It can even be a meaningful example of how GFs cause memory loss as Rinoa (as Ultimecia) fails to recognize Squall for who he is. She's forgotten everything and now all she cares about is compressing time for a reason she can't remember and destroying Seed.
>>
>>5197092
I think theories like this is simply proof that 8's story is so messy and baffling that the fans will grasp at anything to try to form to sense of it.
>>
My biggest disappointment with FF8's story was probably disc 4/the end of the game. It just felt anticlimactic when you go into the future and immediately step into Ultimecia's castle. I was hoping we'd get to go to a full on dystopian future with a big 'Ultimecia City' and everything, and actual shit to do before you go and take her castle. It could have been some cool extra worldbuilding
>>
Good things:
-One of the best FF soundtracks
-Gorgeous fmvs for the time
-Great setpieces (Deling City mission, Garden vs Garden)
-One of the best minigames in any FF (Triple Triad)

Bad things:
-Story is absolute nonsense after the 2nd act
-Junction system is completely broken
-Game is just way too easy overall
-Every character that isn't Squall or Rinoa is terrible
>>
>>5197182
Your mistake was expecting anything.

FF8 consistently hints at a much bigger, richer world and consistently underdelivers and disappoints.
>>
>>5197195
>hating BASED laguna
>>
Good soundtrack but has a retarded story and uninteresting characters aside from Laguna and Irvine
>>
>>5196097
I was massively disappointed with this when it came out. I had to force myself to finish the 4th disc. I never bought a FF game again after it. I played but never finished IX or X, and decided never again.
>>
>>5196109

>It feels like even more of a jrpg than Xenogears, which is an impressive achievement. Because Xenogears wasn't a JRPG, it was a very shitty anime.

FTFY.
>>
>>5197410
>Why didnt Laguna ever go back to Julia? >Why didn't any of the soldiers come looking for him since kiros said he was AWOL
>Why did he all of a sudden shack up with a single mom
>Why would ellone even know about her stepbrother squall

Nah Laguna was a deadbeat dad who couldn't have been more faggier with the long hair.
>>
>>5197635
>Why would ellone even know about her stepbrother squall

So this is the canon timeline of shit that happens after Laguna gets married to Raine I think:

>Raine gets pregnant
>Ellone gets captured by Esthar since Adel is looking for her
>Laguna goes to Esthar to search for Ellone, ends up doing shit like acting in movies along the way because why not
>Raine gives birth, dies either in childbirth or shortly afterwards
>Squall is sent to Edea's orphanage with other war orphans (rest of the playable cast minus Rinoa)
>Laguna helps overthrow Adel, becomes President of Esthar, gets Ellone back
>Ellone gets sent to live in the same orphanage as Squall because ????
>Laguna never bothers to come back for Ellone and Squall because ????

If anyone can fill in the ????s feel free. Laguna is either the world's shittiest father, the story doesn't make sense, or both.
>>
>>5197479
you missed out on a great game on ffxii
>>
It's a character story with a number of poor or underutilized characters, and mechanics that are love or hate but easily broken over your knee regardless.

I think it has some of the greatest world building in the franchise, but it's almost wasted. For all of the issues I have with the game, I do love it, and I'll defend Squall as having an interesting, compelling character arc despite being chained to Rinoa. Seifer is another great character who's sadly underutilized, but there's a hint of something fantastic in his and Squall's interactions.

It's a deeply flawed game and I don't blame anyone for disliking it, but I personally really love it.
>>
>>5197648
It's been a minute, but Laguna either never knew about Raine being pregnant, or never had the opportunity to leave, both of which are feasible due to the world being fairly dangerous and long-distance communication being extremely difficult.

The movie gig was because he needed money for the trip, which to me implies he was searching for way longer than he thought he'd be.
>>
>>5197691
>It's been a minute, but Laguna either never knew about Raine being pregnant, or never had the opportunity to leave, both of which are feasible due to the world being fairly dangerous and long-distance communication being extremely difficult.

Which makes it all the more insane that Ellone gets sent away to the same orphanage, especially after Laguna went to all that trouble and literally staged a coup and overthrew a country's government to save her.
>>
>>5197696
Oh, yeah, the orphanage thing is nonsense and doesn't seem to serve any real purpose in the greater story. The only way I could excuse it is by having that be Irvine's reason for not wanting to shoot Edea.
>>
The orphanage thing is kind of "2deep5me" but it exists to further Squalls introversion and independent personality. After losing his half sister and then moving to Garden he just withdrew into himself and decided to do everything on his own. He (like most people irl) and naturally introverted or extroverted and Squall is no exception. His introversion was shaped by his childhood though, regardless of whether or not he remembered it.
>>
>>5197690
shut the fuck up
>>
>>5196334
It is. From a storytelling perspective, it’s just a lazy way to get the characters to feel more like they know, understand, and like each other at a point in the story where they didn’t like one another whatsoever. Except conveniently not Rinoa so you don’t have to feel weird about her doing Seifer/Squall.
>>
The radio interference was one of the more interesting things about FF8’s world, but I don’t feel like they made a big enough deal about it. That whole segment that ends in Seifer abducting the president is centered around it, but I feel like it should have been a more focal point because if something like that happened in real life, the ramifications would be immense.
>>
>>5199490
How the hell did Galbadia get a signal out anyway? The source of the interference is the magic jammer on Adel's space prison, and it's sill on at that point in the story.
>>
name a more kino scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcJa5AOMoG0
>>
>>5199556
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRQCyOGTOBA
>>
>>5199496
Galbadia withdraws from the city but soldiers remain stationed at the mountain, Galbadia having reached an agreement with the Dollet Parliament that the radio tower would stay activated. This ensures Galbadian President Deling's live television broadcast, the first generated since the end of the Sorceress War, would reach as far as possible.
>>
It's a masterpiece and one of the top 3 Final Fantasy games, period.
>>
>>5199740
>FF8 is top 3
But the three top FFs come right before it
>>
Misunderstood masterpiece.

The game gave so much freedom to the player with its system it's amazing.

People were too dumb to play this game, and still are, and still keep spreading lies about it like "level-ing up punishers the player" because they don't realize everything lvl-ing up opens up and only stick to a few basic things.

One flaw though is that the lvl caps for magics levels, lvl20 and lvl30, are too low and too close to each others. It should have been lvl25 and lvl40-50.
>>
>>5197137
More like people are too dumb. FF8 did the mistake of taking the audiance for smart people.

The devs thought the audiance would be able to put 2 and 2 together to understand the whole thing.

But the audiance wasn't and isn't able to do that, so they don't realize how that the stupid theories like R=U or SquallisDead don't hold up because they can't think for themselves.

People need a fan wiki to tell them the story, EVEN for games that DO mouthfeed the story like FF9, and then will keep spread whatever lies and misinformation the wiki holds pretending that's what they understood for themselves playing the game.

A good example of this was the Iifa Tree = Necron theory for FF9 a decade ago.
It was spread as fact on wikias and everybody or forums or on /v/ would spread this pretending they were smart to understand it.
The whole thing was based on a single line, the Iifa Tree saying it'll be back when it "dies", which, together with the fact that the tree was of an undead type to begin with, is only meant for the return of the mist on disc4.

People are like are the reasons why we got games like FFX and FF13, which are just corridor gameplay, simple system, mouthfeeding stories, or even the game playing themselves like FFX13,
>>
>>5196097
more like misunderstood failure but a charming masterpiece
>>
>>5200067
6 is not good
>>
It's an interesting mess.
That kinda describes most modern FF actually, so I guess it was ahead of its time in a way.
>>
The military aspect was the most interesting point of the game. That's why Disc 1 is kino and Disc 2 has great moments, but the farther you go in the game the less the plot focuses on that part of the setting.
>>
not charming, just a failure
>>
File: updated my comp.png (468 KB, 500x495)
468 KB
468 KB PNG
>le FFVIII is a game for exceptionally gifted minds meme
>>
It's just as bad as the rest of the series.
It tried to do something different but failed miserably just like the other entries that tried and also got a bad rep due to e-celebs.
It's not as bad as the internet says it is, but at the same time it's not a good game, though you can say that for FF as a whole though.
>>5196109
>It feels like even less of a jrpg than Xenogears
No, at least in FFVIII you can kind of micromanage your characters for what's worth and pretend it matters, Xenogears' character building is strictly on rails at every turn and has NES tier game design at best for what little actual gameplay is in there.
Xenogears is also far more unfinished than FFVIII, which also begs the question of where did all the money and staff syphoned from there and other games like SaGa Frontier went since FFVIII is still blatantly unfinished and so poorly developed.

99% of the map is also a wasteland with nothing in it, the Galbadian continent has four cities and two dungeons, you can't even count the Garden since it eventually disappears pretty fast, you can't even reenter the desert prison, Balamb has three(actually two) locations, Esthar has only Esthar... there's not even 15 stable locations in the whole fucking game, what the fuck where they thinking? Even FFVII had more stuff.
>>
>>5200231
The truth isn't a meme, kid.
>>
>>5199646
But that tower shouldn't even work. It was shut down because it became useless after the interference. Galbadia repaired it because they found a way to send wireless signals despite the interference and wanted the tower to send the tv signal farther.
>>
>>5196109
Eat my greasy SeeD you Dollet dotard. Say that to my GF and not online and see what happens.
>>
>>5200231
Not gifted minds.

Just the kind of minds who can fill in the blanks through noticing small details.

Here's a funny little detail. Seifers stance is the very same one Laguna uses while he was filming the movie.
>>
>>5200810
LMAO
>>
>>5200849
Siefer became a gunblade specialist because he saw Lagunas movie. Even went so far as to copy his stance and everything. He was truly genuine in his ideal of being a knight protecting people.
>>
>>5196097
I think if I didn't play FF VII and Tactics all the time right before the release of VIII I would have liked it a lot better.
>>
>>5200860
Yeah I agree. It's a shame that he was such a hothead though.
>>
8fags are to /vr/ what hunterfags are to /a/
>>
I don't know know much about RPG games but I love this one and want someone to recommend me a game, considering that.
>>
>>5199556
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yngLPkA2U
>>
>>5201729
There are not a whole lot of games like 8, if any at all. Maybe someone else with worse jergergers than I have can recommend one but I cant think of a single one similar in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>5200231
It is though
>>
>>5200076
>don't hold up
I've yet to find anything disproving R=U and it makes so much sense in the story that there's just no way it wasn't planned during development at some point.
>>
>>5196097
Or mediocre game that did some things well, other things poorly, completely missed the mark on why people fell in love with this series after VII with its over focus on narrative / cinematic experience and toning down of exploration and intriguing secrets / things to do outside of the main quest; tried way too hard to be different from VII, for the sake of being different, which led to some awful gameplay mechanics while the materia / esper / or job system of previous games were well received and would have been just fine. The whole drawing system feels like it came out of a corporate board room overthinking how they could make the game stand out and be different instead of just going with what everybody already likes. Overall just a huge missed opportunity.
>>
File: OOPS.png (124 KB, 890x663)
124 KB
124 KB PNG
>>5196338
>Misunderstood masterpiece
M7 most FF fans love FF9 and even older fans say it's the last "good" one (even though that's bullshit).
Also it's return to a more Sakaguchi-style setting is it's weakest point. Not to say I didn't like the games he had a more direct involvement in, FF6 is my favorite game ever, but it seemed masturbatory at times and my favorite part about the FF series (even newer ones) is how they're willing to experiment and go in a totally different direction from their previous games.
If I wanted the same game over and over with setting reskins, I'd just play a Tales game. Or blow my brains out because Tales games are bad.
>>
>>5196097

Boring rushjob of a game. It's a real mess, and lacks the charm of FF7.

Just take the cast, and their usefulness and backstory. Irvine fails an assassination once, and then he's just there. No character arc, no side-quests, nothing. Zell and Selphie are meant to be main characters, but they really do nothing and could be written out. Squal, Seifer, and Rinoa are the ONLY cast memeber who even matter in 8. Everyone else is just there to fill combat roles.

Contrast that with FF7, where Yuffie is the most irrelevant character yet she gets two full side-quests and way more spotlight than most of the FF8 cast. Vincent, the other hidden character is one of the most important cast member for the backstory of the game. Red XIII is arguably the most useless cast member, since he gets one mandatory side-quest and that's it. But every other cast member is vital narratively, and most get some kind of later game spotlight.
>>
File: vdosmumrb2qz.jpg (106 KB, 920x584)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>5202693
>Any character in FF8 is worse than Tifa.
I've fapped enough times to her to fill a bathtub of cum but she is so much more boring and just "there" than any of the FF8 cast. Unlike Areith who's flirty and interesting and talks about her past, or Barret who's probably one of the best characters in the entire franchise, she exists to be Cloud's boring shonen love interest and not much else.
>>
>>5201101
This, but at least Hunterfags have the excuse of it being an actual ongoing manga. This game has been discussed to death.
>>
>>5202686
I usually prefer more medieval era settings but really like FF7's more than FF9's.
>>
>>5196097
Majority of people who played it were too retarded to understand junction thus had a hard time.
Interestingly enough those are the same faggots who complain about the story for being a romance because they were too fucking dumb to figure out junction thus never got to see the rest of the plot points after disk one.
Stupid assholes.
>>
>>5202807
FF8 fags like to repeat that people didn't understood the game. I'm gonna need citations for that because in my circle people didn't have problems with the game. Is it an American thing?
>>
File: 1519357139720.jpg (75 KB, 600x450)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>5202809
Cite my balls you dumb twat.
>>
>>5202817
so it's a made-up online narrative with the purpose of defending the game?
>>
File: 1326168427941.gif (1.93 MB, 185x171)
1.93 MB
1.93 MB GIF
>>5202840
Like the made-up online narrative that you have a circle of friends?
No.
>>
>>5199496
>The source of the interference is the magic jammer on Adel's space prison
Elaborate? I believe that during the broadcast the announcer says something like "wow! we are actually live on the air! This hasn't been possible for 17 years!" (17 being how old Squall was). Was it really jamming from Adel's prison? That is certainly interesting and DOES make sense. I always figured that the only place capable of broadcasting over RF was the Dollet Communication Tower and that it was not possible to broadcast simply because it was out of order. Did the Galbadians modify it in someway? Why was it possible to broadcast after the assault on Dollet?
>>
>>5203031
>Why was it possible to broadcast after the assault on Dollet?

The reason is that you can still make a small transmission and have it be sort of lukewarm quality, which is code for "It works when we say it does." That makes OK sense in a linear way if you just posit "big radio tower on big hill, signal... good" and just don't ask questions. But to borrow the Spoony argument, one has to ask: Did this radio tower not exist the entire time the interference was active? Why did they give up so quickly? How are people even going to see it unless they happen to be in front of the one screen in Timber which is facing a derelict alley? Do they all fruitlessly turn on their 20-year-old TVs every 5 minutes -just in case-? How would they know when to tune in and to which station?
>>
>>5196338
completely agree
>>
so like i get that a gunblade operates by using ammo to cause vibrations to make a vibroblade
but wouldnt the shot cause recoil and make your blade fly up instead of coming down where you want it
>>
>>5196097
The game fucked itself over by giving Card mod to your first GF instead of a much later one
>>
>>5203567
card mod should be like a level 90 gf skill or something
>start fight with diablos
>draw blind from him and blind his ass
>does nothing but spam demi at you
>win get his card
>100 demis to junction for everybody
i hate breaking the game but i cant stop myself every playthrough
>>
One of the best FF, if not the best.
>>
>>5203530
If you are strong enough to handle the recoil no?
>>
>>5203530
Unlike Irivine's firearms, Squall's doesn't have ammo requirements. He's just shaking the damn thing really fast.
>>
why we have to talk so much about this stupid game? Why there are always at least two threads devoted to this stupid game? It's the worst FF along with FFII and FFI, period.
>>
File: 73849622.jpg (95 KB, 565x313)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>5205928
Game with depth gets many threads. Get over it.
>>
>>5196097
Combat was tedious as fuck and boring with having to stock magic all the goddamned time. I know you could play the stupid card game instead, but that's AT BEST a lateral move, if not a step down.

Ignoring combat it was okay I guess.
>>
>>5205928
>period
Not even close kid.
>>
File: 2532818-firstorder.png (478 KB, 1538x638)
478 KB
478 KB PNG
Timeless indie classic
or overrated aged like milk?
The UI is giving me carpal tunnel
>>
>>5203078
Because Ultimecia controlling Edea around the time Dollet mission happened chose to stop the Adel's interference of the signal. The reason the signal was jammed was Adel being imprisoned between Moon and Earth. The jammed screen shows phrases "I'm still here" and stuff like that.
>>
File: 1538590667118.jpg (36 KB, 270x322)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>go to a cave to fight ifrit
>get some satan summon from a bottle
>climb some tower to get a naked summon which sucks
>take part in a multiple choice exam which sets me up for life financially since everything is dirt-cheap
>go fetch some homo sniper to murder a witch
>pick up the best earth summon in FF, brothers
>faggot fails and I get skewered by ice
>???
>I'm on a train with some bitch in blue and the president turns into a zombie
>there's some interlude with much cooler characters
>the blue bitch is sick and I carry her to some future city where the cooler characters rule
>???
>I'm in space, dying, and then find a cool spaceship
>I return but everything has a bubble over it so I can't get inside anymore
>there's some island where I find bahamut
>I go to some spooky theme park horror castle and fight a german vvitch that OHKO's my summons
>rewarded for my efforts with some shitty teenage party found footage

FF8 felt like a side-story in a card game.
>>
>>5207129
Whatever.
>>
>>5196371
X had the best combat system. Fuck ATB
>>
>>5207905
max speed non wait ATB is peak gameplay
X is abusing quick hit haste to get 10 turns on one character before the boss gets 1
>>
>>5207908
That's after the main game. Before that you most likely don't have Quick Hit and haven't start power levelling. The Dark Aeons, Penance and high end of monster arena creatures are designed for that.
>>
>>5207914
theres also how every encounter is just rock paper scissors until you outlevel the region
and how every character needs to have a turn to get xp so you have to sit there and defend with two guys if your first turn character is too strong for a single monster encounter
>>
>>5207918
>have to

If you are autistic on having everyone get EXP from every single battle, that's your choice. I agree that if yoi go your way min-maxing the main game, you will be overpowered easy but that applies to other FF and RPGs too.
>>
>>5207925
> wanting to be efficient and not run around doing twice and many battles as you have to so most of your team doesn't wind up fucking useless is autistic

KYS retard
>>
>>5207129
If you were trying to make FF8 sound bad, you failed completely.
>>
>>5207930
Doesn't really make it sound appealing, but it if I'd never had played the game it would probably make me interested in a few different parts.
>>
>>5207929
First you say getting overpowered for each region is too fast, then that getting exp for every character from each battle is tedious and then that missing couple battles worth of EXP makes them useless.

You are too precious for this world.
>>
>>5196097
Absolute boring garbage 3/6 and 7 were the masterpieces. No villian will ever beat kefkas crazy ass.
>>
>>5207129
you forgot the part where your school is taken over by a sentient pudding
>>
>>5207939
jej
>>
What if...the world of FF8 operated like Castle Oblivion in KH: Chain of Memories.
The whole thing was this meta card reality where there's a card for everything and Ultimecia was just collecting them all.
>>
>>5196338
absolutely based
>>
>>5196338
Take notes, zoomers
>>
>>5207905
This. It's so odd to me that they finally made a perfect battle system (or at least the basic framework of a perfect battle system) and then completely dropped it never to return so they could do a bunch of stupid auto battle bullshit and literally just ripping the action battle system from Kingdom Hearts.
>>
>>5200231
God this meme is terrible
>>
>>5208297
But there was no Ultimecia card. Or Adel and the other sorceresses for that matter...
>>
File: dead man whatever.jpg (167 KB, 1024x614)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
>>5207930
It's a recounting of events remembered.
>>
>>5201101
>>5202741
No one wants to discuss anime with you. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>5208297
This FUCKASS game, I spent like two days griding for a card to get through a door and got nothing.
>>
>>5199474
From a storytelling perspective, the story actually begins at that orphanage. Your problem is you're following it narratively when the story picks up halfway through and they're teenagers. The reason they're all still together is BECAUSE they were in the orphanage.
>>
>>5211178
Kek



Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.