[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vr/ - Retro Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Why is classic Sonic so awesome?
>>
>>5190752
it all feels competent and aware of what it's supposed to be unlike pretty much every sonic game that came after
>>
>>5190752
>Why is classic Sonic so awesome?
-overall decent to great ost
-great art direction
-fun boss battles

Gameplay didn't [spolier]___age___[/spoiler] all that great but it's still fun.
>>
>>5190754
Please stop, you wound me.
>>
>>5190754
fpbp
It was a platformer that was too cool for school.
And people DID skip school to play Sonic. He is way past cool.
>>
>2005
Modern Sonic sucks, it's just going fast without any sort of challenge, literally press right to win
>2018
le classic Sonic sucks, you can't go fast, they're always stopping you with enemies and obstacles xddd

What changed?
>>
>>5191075
Zoomer morons basically
classic sonic is easily the best the series will ever have, there are pretty much no bad games on the megadrive & cd
>>
>>5190752
>Sonic 1 - meh
>Sonic 2 - 9/10
>Sonic 3 - boring, slow as fuck

1 out of 3 ain't bad, I guess.
>>
>>5191889
>& cd
>>
>>5191018
>Gameplay didn't [spolier]___age___[/spoiler] all that great but it's still fun.

What's wrong with the gameplay? Pretty much standard platformer, same you'll find in modern day indie shit. Did you want dialogue and cutscenes and """meaningful choices""" or some shit?
>>
The Mega Drive/Genesis featured a 16-bit CPU chip that was used in arcade games at the time. This is why many of its games felt frenetic and fast paced even with limited colour and sound capabilities. It was the closest the console makers had gotten at that time to replicating the arcade experience at home.

Sonic is very much built in that tradition - timeless, fun and fast experiences. A classic in every right.
>>
>>5191075
>there is no way to have a game that feels fast and isn't stop-and-go without removing challenge
Sonic fans are so abused, I feel bad for you guys. Also the group that says classic Sonic sucks almost always recognizes the incompetence of 3D Sonic as well.
>>
>>5191910

I forgot to mention the microprocessor - it was the Motorola 68000
>>
>>5190752
MASONIC
>>
>>5191917
Classic sonic is objectively good.
>>
Because it rewards excellence and forgives ignorance. If you’re awesome at it you can blast through and get all the rings, the special stage, quick boss kills, etc. that make you feel so bad-ass. But if you’re still learning it doesn’t crush you, you lose your rings and try to get up to speed again. It’s so good Nintendo made Yoshi’s Island using a lot of the elements that made S&K so great.
>>
>>5191910
The speed of the game isn't really affected by the cpu. Unless you mean performance?
>>
why wasn't there a proper Sonic game for the Saturn?
>>
>>5191910
Thanks Wikipedia.
>>
>>5192819
Lots of reasons. Yuji Naka and the other people who worked on the genesis games were busy or maybe just were tired of it.
There was Sonic Xtreme but that got canceled due to miscommunication. I don't think it would have been very good anyway though.
>>
>>5192819

It wouldn't be a good idea to hang your console's flagship title on a 2D game back then.

Perhaps they should have though. I hated early 3D games.
>>
>>5191075
Is this why "people" are saying Marble Zone sucks now?
>>
>>5191075
uhh 2005 was a few years before unleashed came around with the 'hold x to win' gameplay
>>
>>5192819
seemed like there were attempts but i assume they ran into performance issues making a cutting-edge 3d game with how you move as fast as you do in sonic. notice how sluggish and lame sonic's movement is in that 3d sonic jam hub level. i think sega knew a whole game that worked like that just wasn't gonna cut it

i've said in a thread before though that sega should've just cut their losses and done a 2.5d sonic robo blast 2-esque doom clone which would've been much easier on the hardware but i guess sonic team just didn't have the developer hindsight to even think of something like that at the time
>>
>>5192819
ST didnt want make more 2d Sonic after &Knuckles and wanted 3d, but they didnt know what to do with 3d for years.
When they finally got something Saturn was over and the Sonic Adventure for the Saturn was changed to Dreamcast. Sonic Jam 3D's world was a prototype of that and that Sonic's model was in SA dreamcast version in one scene for like a second in the Tornado cutscene before chasing down Egg Carrier.

>>5193604
>now
That was always the least liked stage. For me it was due to being linear except for Act3 that had a "secret" path

>>5193609
There was Rush, which was a boost game
>>
>>5190754
This.

There's no much else that needs to be said, except that at the time of release the games were considered very technically impressive with excellent graphics and music. Even though the scrolling isn't perfect, it was seen as incredible at the time.
>>
>>5193754
Wrong, Labyrinth Zone was easily the most disliked Sonic 1 stage. Nobody talked much about Marble Zone although at the time a lot of the screenshots from from Marble Zone
>>
>>5193754

marble zone is kino
>>
>>5190752
Fun level design and simple, responsive controls that allowed you to build momentum, combined with a colorful, distinctive art style and a catchy soundtrack.
>>
>>5194109
>at the time of release the games were considered very technically impressive with excellent graphics and music
I remember when my cousin brought the game over for the first time, he hooked it up in the living room of my grandparents' house and as soon as he turned it on the "Sega" blew us all away, including my grandparents who were watching. And then he actually started the game and I just remember the colors were so vibrant and stunning I never saw anything like it before. We couldn't believe how it looked and moved, it looked like something from 30 years in the future. That's impossible for any of the younger generation to really appreciate.

The only other game that floored me like that was the first time I saw Donkey Kong Country, when a kid brought the booklet to school and we all kept asking "are these actually screens of the game though?" No matter how many times he said yes, it was hard to believe. Also the FMVs and prerendered backgrounds from FFVII and first person 3D sections from Phantasy Star were also stunning the first time seeing them, but not to the level of Sonic and DKC.
>>
>>5190752
Because it single handedly built Sega into a household name and Sega eventually went on to prove not too long after that how much of a hack company they were. So Sonic is this great amazing flukes on their part. Sonic was lightening in a bottle for them. Best platformers of the 16 bit era imo.
>>
>>5191075
>you can't go fast, they're always stopping you with enemies and obstacles xddd

It is sort of true though. You can tell which levels are great and which aren't. Levels like Marble Zone aren't good since they go completely counter to the idea of the franchise. The majority of Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles levels are good because for the most part the levels compliment the style of the games. One issue that is a constant though that 3&K did try to fix was the enemies stopping your momentum. The insta-shield is a decent fix but it should have lasted a bit longer to be even more effective. First games levels have aged the poorest.
>>
>>5193609
People used to say that about the Adventure series as well. And they were not completely wrong, Radical Highway is pretty much a boost Sonic stage, the seed was already there.
>>
>>5194113
That too, but not for those guys that found Marble boring and slow.

>>5194129
The platforming is pretty neat, but the stage is mostly linear. Even Labyrinth had sections with a 2nd path or the secret path to skip most of the act
>>
>>5193621
Sonic Jam's hub section is less sluggish with an analogue controller. But even then it's nowhere near as fast as it should be.
Was pretty impressive at the time though
>>
>>5194382

I rarely ever post, but I had to for this. The first time playing a StH game back in the 90's with your family...oh god the feels. Nothing will ever supercede that feeling. I've played damn near a thousand games since the original Sonic, but none managed to recreate that feeling of pure amazement that Green Hill zone brings to you. Gotta feel sorry for the millenials never having a chance to experience this.
>>
>>5190752
It had a great team behind it that realized what worked and what didn't. That team broke up after S&K and it wasnt until Christian Whitehead came along when another good Sonic game came out in 2017.
>>
>>5196315

>>5196315

I think you need to learn the age range for millennials buddy. It's perfectly feasible for someone who is a millennial to have played Sonic 1, at a young age back then. I'm 31, so within the millennial range, and played Sonic when I was about 4 or 5
>>
Because 80s culture
>>
>>5196315
>Gotta feel sorry for the millenials never having a chance to experience this.

I think you could leave out millenials and this would have made more sense. Millenials were born in 1981-1996. I was born in 80 (38yo) and relate more to millennials (at least in pop culture such as games and cartoons) than any other group. I grew up on Atari 2600 until I was 9, then moved to NES and other consoles when they came into existence. I remember a kid I used to be friends with who was 4 years younger than me (his mom used to babysit me) and they grew up on NES.

In other words, a lot of millenials were a huge demographic for sonic games on Genesis.
>>
Why would I feel sorry for someone who can do the exact same thing today for free but doesn't bother to do it? That doesn't make a lot of sense.

Some kind of "their eyes won't let them enjoy old graphics" retardation. That kind of thinking is inherently disordered. Also Sonic wasn't ever that good. I'm sure Minecraft can achieve the same feel spazzwad.
>>
>>5190754
>aware of what it's supposed to be
Yet it still has those long, obnoxious maze levels.
>>
File: 1527778863568.png (42 KB, 500x633)
42 KB
42 KB PNG
>>5191898
>3, boring, slow as fuck
How so? Granted I love 3 so I might be biased, but how the fuck is it slow?
>>
>>5194113
>Wrong, Labyrinth Zone was easily the most disliked Sonic 1 stage.

This is accurate. I don't remember anyone minding Marble Zone. The music was great and the level was comfy. Labyrinth Zone gave kids nightmares of Sanic drowning.
>>
As a kid, I hated Labyrinth.
Now it's one of my favorites.
>comfy ass resort-termal waters atmosphere
>comfy ass chill music
>intricate but solid level design
>rewards patience
>has one of the most interesting boss fights in the series
The key here is patience. Kids gets frustrated because they can't realize the whole zone is about calmly advancing, watching out everything. If you're careful, the flow of the acts is very nice.
>>
>>5198909
In general relying on auto-playing high speed tunnels to give any sense of going fast.

All the stages introduced in Knuckles are a slog.
>>
>>5197243
>>5197196
>’80s babies are millennials
please don’t drag all of us under this hopeless label
>>
>>5197620
Only Metropolis and Sonic 3&K suffered from such issues.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.