[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Are we ever going to figure out the pokemon universes alphabet?
It makes me confused, why didn't gamefreak just use Uknown symbols. I mean yes the unknown are based of the Latin alphabet but it's still distorted to the point where it'll look mysterious.
I JUST WANT TO KNOW
>>
This is gay as fuck. Everything up until now had English or Japanese text. What's so special about this shit show?
>>
>>39978315
No they didn't. I think older games had this weird alphabet but the resolution was shit so it was eaiser just to blue it and not worry about it.
>>
They're English words but the symbols change for each sign.
>>
>>39978334
Speaking of which, the big blue one just says Station
>>
>>39978334
Okay okay, well in the image above the only word that would make sense is "station" now we must test our hypothesis
>>
>>39978290
It's just generic made up gibberish they put in so that other countries don't have to edit textures or translate and fit text during localization. Pretty much every foreign video game or cartoon does this nowadays including the Anime as of XY if i remember correctly.
>>
Another sign ontop of the clothing store... maybe it spells boutique?
>>
File: centers and marts.png (304 KB, 1604x1463)
304 KB
304 KB PNG
>>39978290
Using Unown wouldn't be good either. In the games, nobody is supposed to know what the symbols mean.
>>39978321
When you're working with such a small number of pixels, it makes sense to just kind of throw whatever in there, but consider stuff like Pokémon centers and marts having legible text on them.
>>
>>39978373
I forgot about that
>>
File: aMj8pYW_700b.jpg (27 KB, 648x351)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>39978290
>>
>>39978366
Clothing
>>
File: reddit.jpg (13 KB, 237x240)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>>39978382
Go back.
>>
File: hmm.gif (1.27 MB, 296x160)
1.27 MB
1.27 MB GIF
>>39978290
>Creates a gobblygoop nonsense language for Pokemon
>Still uses Arabic numerals for route signs
>>
>>39978390
Meme predates reddit you fucking moron
>>
>>39978366
It can't be boutique if it's the same language as in the station. otherwise there would be that "3" looking character in the middle, but instead there's the "Y" looking one. Also the reverse "Ð" should be in there for "I".
>>39978383
And it can't be clothing is the first one is station because the "o" and "i" wouldn't line up. I think it's just random gibberish.
>>
>>39978434
Don't even bother trying to decode it. I tried with images when there was clearly a "Game Freak" on a stadium advertisement
>>
>>39978290
>except white people have to pay extra
>>
>>39978290
I am actually glad they didn't use unown symbols and created a separate language for immersion. Looks so much better than that useless shitmon and I hope they remove unown and every other useless gimmick space holder mon from existence
>>
We checked before. There doesn't seem to be any coherence, beside obvious words like Galar League using symbols that resemble English letters, and even that's inconsistent
>>
>>39978565
>implying it's a language and not just random shit
>>
>>39978434
There are two symbols for most letters. If you look at the "Galar League" it has two different As and Gs. The word "GameFreak" itself uses two different Es within one word, so you can't even guess that there will only be one symbol per letter per word.

Either way, the triple line letter (looks kind of like ミ) on the clothes store is the "E" used in the word "league".
>>
File: 1484278024542.png (111 KB, 600x500)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>39978410
>English doesn't exist in England-based region
>Arabic numbers do
>>
>>39978290
assuming the big blue sign says "station", the smaller maroon sign must be a word with the structure T _ _ I S _ O S _ which an online tool shows matches no english word. therefore the blue sign cannot be "station" if this is a functional cypher.
>>
>>39978315
If your textures don't contain real words, you don't have to retexture the game for all the different translated languages
>>
>>39978315
They started doing this in the anime during BW and then in the games with Sun and Moon.
https://www.pocketmonsters.net/content/Anime_Language
>>
>>39978757
Great so now our kids are going to learn how to read a nonsense language before their native one like that kid in Daddy Daycare who can only speak Klingon
>>
>>39978290
Have we seen much footage from the Japanese version of the game? Oftentimes in anime signs and whatnot will have Japanese text on them in the Japanese version, but then in the dub rather than use a localized language they'll just blur it all out or replace it with gibberish. Is that maybe what's happening here, or is the text like that in Japan as well?
>>
>>39978986
It's the same. They started using these symbols to not have to localize the text in the first place.
>>
>>39978709
I think it's just ching chong gobbledygook moonspeak at this point, either that or the devs spent more time thinking about background cryptography than they did for anything else in this shit heap.
>>
>>39979057
Alternatively it could be old English since some Nips are into that now I guess.
>>
I think the last time this was posted it was figured out that the signs do translate to English but they use different symbols for each word or phrase.

The station sign does say station. There’s another sign that says Macrocosmos I think you can see it on the pokejobs video.
>>
>>39979052
To be fair it's not like that's a terrible idea. I at least find the weird symbols to be visually pleasing.
>>
>>39978290
>that pic
Doesn't it literally spell a word 'station' in basic substitution-type cypher? Thats super easy to decode if you have big enough pool of examples at hand.
>>
>>39979859
It isn't decodable. It's not simple substitution, it's random substitution. As in there's a set number of symbols but that replace the real symbols at random, every word is consistent with itself but not with other words.
>>
>>39978709
It's random. You can't figure a word out using a different word. It's uncypherable.
>>
>>39978290
STATION
N looks like the hiragana ん, which is the ending syllable -n in Japanese. It also looks like a backwards lowercase lambda λ.
>>
>>39979931
This kind of brute force is the only way to make sense of the words. That same symbol that was used for N here might not be used for N in any other word it appears in.
>>
File: ep033_sinnoh02j.jpg (273 KB, 640x480)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>39978757
The anime was using gibberish language long before BW.
>>
>>39979977
But from BW onward it was a actual writing system where the symbols had meaning.
>>
File: yell.png (37 KB, 238x138)
37 KB
37 KB PNG
I was pretty eager to try an look for patterns until I noticed Team Yell's logo only has three characters in it. If this is any language at all, it's not English.
>>
File: banner.png (47 KB, 492x125)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>39980222
If you're not convinced those two strokes are one character, here's the same character on a banner in one of the Gym arenas. The kerning makes it pretty clear.
>>
>>39978610
This. Does anyone actually think the spent time trying to create a made up alphabet? They’re too lazy for that
>>
Im bored enough to look into things and seek a deeper meaning where there is none, so hop to it people and post more examples.
>>
>>39980328
no
>>
>>39979977
They fixed that for the most recent DVD release
>>
>>39980227
could be phonetic. if it's anything at all.

/ieɫ/
>>
>>39978290
They use it so they dont have to change sitbs for every country
>>
>>39979977
I mean it sort of resembles シンオウ (Shin'ou; Sinnoh).
For シ, the longer curve has been placed between the shorter stroke.
For ン, it's like it got flipped upside-down and the smaller stroke grew and began floating away. The little dot is left unexplained.
For オ, it's on its side, the middle stroke is detached, and there's a random extra stroke along the back for some reason.
For ウ, it's just upside-down.
>>
>>39978290
It says STATION
>>
>>39980222
"Ll" could be a single letter. Just like "nn" is "ñ" and "vv" is"w."
>>
File: unknown.png (283 KB, 524x365)
283 KB
283 KB PNG
There doesn't seem to be any consistency at first glance, but looking at the M characters in the sign for the Macro Cosmos company it seems we're dealing with upper and lower case symbols which complicates things when dealing with signs that may be capitalized.
>>
>>39981531
In the last thread somebody had collected all symbols and they where around 50. They are upper and lower case and it's easy to distinguish. The problem is we managed to brute force ~10 words and in that we found 9 different ways to write the letter "A". That sign can say "HootBook" or something but which symbols replace what are random in every word as evident by their different use in "COSMOS".
>>
>>39978791
What the fuck are you doing with your kids? Just refusing to speak around them? Performing the Forbidden Experiment?
>>
It would be really cool if Game Freak actually made up a new Pokemon world alphabet, but I doubt they would ever put that much effort into any of their games anymore.
>>
>>39980222
My guess? It's "Marni", "マル二" Ma-ru-ni.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.