[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: DeiNLUrWsAA8uNF.jpg (390 KB, 969x870)
390 KB
390 KB JPG
There are a lot of things from the beta I wish were kept, but this is one I'm glad they managed to change.

Completing Johto, then going back to basically the full place from Red/Blue was an amazing feeling. Imagine being promised Kanto all game only to have this mess of a squashed Kanto at the end.

God bless Iwata with his 1337 coding skillz fitting Kanto in.
>>
>>37358207
>God bless Iwata with his 1337 coding skillz fitting Kanto in.

fuck off with this meme
>>
>>37358216
Shut up, underage bitch. At least make your posts less obvious, you might as well be wearing a trip.
>>
>>37358223
I'm not the one parroting incorrect shit I read on the internet.

where the fuck did this
>Iwata put in all of kantoooo!!!!!
meme even fucking start? and why the fuck do people feel the need to mention it every time kanto in gsc is brought up even though it's not even true?
>>
>>37358235
they literally have a game freak NPC suck iwata's dick in SM because of gold and silver, you fucking momo
>>
>>37358223
The idolization of Iwata is weird. The dude was the CEO of Nintendo, and CEOs do what they do – the interview where he laughs with Sakurai about bullying the guy into making Brawl is pretty fucking telling.

Insofar as what Iwata did for Pokemon GS, I think it's a bit of an exaggeration – he's not the one who went ahead and coded Kanto into the game himself, he fixed some stupid compression routine GF had written up, and this gave them back a ton of extra space.

The spaceworld demo data was too idiosyncratic to go back to (and since most of it was incorporated into the second draft of the Johto region, would've been redundant to program in) and they likely hadn't enough time to draft up entirely new areas, so they went with existing resources and put Kanto in.

Crediting it to your CEO is polite corporate appeasement, but it's an exaggeration.
>>
>>37358235

It is true.

Exaggerated, and all he did was implement a compression method that already existed in other formats.

But the reason Kanto was that tiny thing in the beta is because it's all they could fit until they used better compression.
>>
File: What is this shit.jpg (251 KB, 1280x951)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>37358207
That town's geography doesn't even make sense as a mini Kanto.

The bay where Vermillion is located is gone, and so is the cycling road as a result.
There's nothing, not even a tiny row of trees, indicating Viridian forest is there.
All the mountainous regions are gone, except for that slab that I assume is meant to be Mt. Moon. The rocky region where the rock tunnel and the factory were is gone. Even Lavender town is gone, aside from the tower that's far too north, closer to Cerulean city.
Speaking of which, Cerulean and its surrounding landmarks are completely gone.
The entire fucking west coast is gone.
If it wasn't for Pallet Town on the bottom left, I never would have recognized it as Kanto.

I'm fairly certain some /vp/ anon could make a far better mini-Kanto than this.
>>
>>37358248
>they literally have a game freak NPC suck iwata's dick in SM because of gold and silver
Yes because he helped with the localization. Nothing to do with
>BUT HE FIT ALL OF KANTO IN DA GAME!!!!

>>37358257
>But the reason Kanto was that tiny thing in the beta is because it's all they could fit until they used better compression
No, the reason it's that tiny in the beta is because they planned the entire region map differently to represent all of Japan. Scaling Kanto be way larger than every other area makes no sense.
>>
>>37358252
You have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69kQBv3Gql8
>>
>>37358292
>Scaling Kanto be way larger than every other area makes no sense.

Then why is Pallet Town the same size and bigger than the cities?
>>
>>37358252
>>37358257
Even if he only made a smaller contribution than we thought, I wish CEOs in the west were like this more often. There is no need to exaggerate what he did, but it was still something I would never expect from an actual CEO
>>
The Spaceworld map is supposed to represent the entire country of Japan, every "city" there is equivalent to one "region." The gyms are replaced with League buildings for this reason. When they decided to focus the map on the irl Kansai (Johto) region instead of the whole country, its neighboring Kanto region became fullsized again. It's just a matter of relative scale.
>>
>>37358327
Oh god, 8:42
>>
>>37358459
Not watching that shit. Tell me what happened.
>>
>>37358554
He went on saying something about not just speaking to us, but instead "directly to our hearts" while doing the hand gesture iwata typically made.
>>
File: Jaranra art.png (454 KB, 388x580)
454 KB
454 KB PNG
>>37358207
If kanto was planned to be to small to have wild Pokemon, meaning every Pokemon is obtainable in Johto, does that mean Johto would have more identity?
>>
>>37358920
>muh identity meme
>>
>>37358935
>not wanting houndour slugma sneasel ect. obtainable before e4
>>
>>37358920
"Johto" in this beta only consists of three cities that later became New Bark Town, Violet City and Goldenrod. Everything else was in different regions.
>>
>>37358942
>why do I have to actually progress through the game for things? everything should be available on the first route!
>>
>>37358979
they don't have to be on the first route, but they should obtainable sometime before the elite 4. Houndour could have easily been in the burned tower. Larvitar could have been in in Union cave.
>>
>>37358988
>they don't have to be on the first route, but they should obtainable sometime before the elite 4
yeah, let's make it so there's nothing new to find after beating the game, great idea
>>
>>37358995
Would have been OK if the Kanto-exclusives hadn't included literally all the Dark types in the dex except Umbreon, especially when they advertised Dark as one of the newly discovered types.
>>
>>37358252
>he's not the one who went ahead and coded Kanto into the game himself, he fixed some stupid compression routine GF had written up, and this gave them back a ton of extra space.
No one ever said that he coded Kanto in there himself, not even the OP said that.

>Crediting it to your CEO is polite corporate appeasement, but it's an exaggeration.
It's not an exaggeration, Kanto in its full glory fit in the game solely because of Iwata's effort in compressing the game.

Why do people have to try so hard to undermine literally everything so hard all the time on here? For literally everything you say, there's always some ACKUALLY faggot lying in wait. Seriously how salty do you have to get that someone is getting praise for something, I know it's not like he took credit for your compression work.
>>
>>37359292
>Kanto in its full glory fit in the game solely because of Iwata's effort in compressing the game
Wrong.
>>
>>37358207
This cant be real. It just cant.
>>
>>37358252
Okay so explain why they were ass kissing someone who WASN'T the CEO.

He worked for HAL at the time, you moron.
>>
>>37358920
No. The games were intended to be sequels to gen 1 first and foremost, and that was even more true during that stage of development. I wanna say at least half of the dex was pre-evos and evos for gen 1 mons.

Basically, imagine Kanto, but bigger.
>>
>>37359292
He did nothing you’re claiming though
>>
File: lol.png (19 KB, 958x576)
19 KB
19 KB PNG
>>37358979
>dude just don't put any new pokemon in the new region lol
>>
>>37362438
That begs the question why you couldnt catch Houndour or Slugma in Gen 1 if theyre in Kanto.
>>
>>37362438
they're in kanto to give the game postgame value
>>
>>37362662
there's more things to postgame then wild Pokemon, like gym leaders in this games's case
>>
>>37362662
Heres a crazy idea.

Put the Gen 1 Pokemon in Kanto but put the Gen 2 ones in Johto!
>>
>>37358207
This map looks like absolute shit. This would have not been ok.
>>
>>37362438
The worst thing about this is that it really limited your Fire Pokemon options for the first part of the game, you either got Cyndaquil, Growlithe, Entei, Ho-Oh depending of the version or got luck with a Fire Stone or Magby or you were fucked until Kanto since Slugma and Houndour are only available until you get to there and the same goes for the rest of Gen 1 fire Pokemon
>>
>>37359309
>>37361792
Every single source about the subject says otherwise, but you guys were clearly there which is why you have secert info that no one else knows, please, by all means share it, you stupid fucking cunts.
>>
>>37363416
>Every single source about the subject says otherwise
There's not a single source about it to begin with.
>>
File: retard.jpg (30 KB, 400x240)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>37363466
were you one of those miracle babies born with their brain outside of their body or something
>>
File: guy.jpg (30 KB, 400x240)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>37363486
>>
File: pres.jpg (30 KB, 400x240)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>37363496
>>
>>37363466
Theres a billion sources on it you idiot this was common knowledge years before even this >>37363486
they fucking talk about it in the Iwata Asks interview.

Don't fucking reply to me again.
>>
>>37363486
>>37363496
>>37363506
And it says literally nothing about
>IWATA PUT ALL OF KANTO IN DA GAME GUYS
>>
>>37363519
KANTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
>>
>>37363514
>this was common knowledge years before even this
because it was a false myth being spread around by people parroting shit they read from others without bothering to fact check.
>>
>>37363519
underage/newfag detected
>>
>>37363527
>you don't mindlessly repeat shit other retards say so that means you're a newfag
>>
File: source.png (28 KB, 623x213)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>37363530
I'd sooner believe the more credible sources than some random person on the internet
>>
>>37363526
Explain how it's a false myth when it's true, confirmed to be true, in numerous interviews, and even said in the pokemon games itself now? It was never a false myth, idiot.
>>
File: VCDvadR[1].png (11 KB, 523x113)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
Iwata made compression tools because of the English text of the game. English text takes up more space than Japanese text because it requires more characters to portray the same sentences, and evidenced by the fact that English Red/Blue are double the file size of Japanese Red/Green. Masuda also explictly said Iwata only worked on the localized GS when Game Informer went to their office.

How this got construed into "IWATA PUT IN ALL OF KANTOOOOOO" by the retarded fanbase and Iwata dick suckers I'll never know. Kanto was always going to be in the game regardless.

>>37363569
That's not an official source. That's just someone else parroting retarded shit they read on the internet.

>>37363581
Except it's not confirmed true anywhere. Find a single official source that says Iwata is responsible for putting Kanto in the game.
>>
>>37363611
cool claims bro got a source for them anywhere? no? damn wonder what I'm more inclined to believe
>>
>>37363611
As I understand it Iwata created the compression tools for the localization of Red and Blue, which Gamefreak then used to fit more into the Gen 2 games. It's also probably that the popularity of the anime in the west told Gamefreak that more games would probably be in demand after Gold and SIlver, so they decided that using all of Japan in one game was a bad idea and essentially restarted the game from scratch, resulting in a huge delay and us ending up with the Gold and Silver we have today.
>>
>>37363620
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qi4bxT_Bb4c&feature=youtu.be&t=31m30s
>>
>>37363634
>this is somehow more valid/official than any of the handfuls of other video game websites saying otherwise
>>
>>37363654
It's more valid/official because they had an interview with one of the directors of GS instead of just claiming Iwata put in all of Kanto without citing a single source.
>>
>>37363707
I see. your posts really made me think, I'll admit that. if you're right then serebii's website is wrong.. about yet another thing

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.