[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/vp/ - Pokémon

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What’s a cool theme for gen 8 starters?gen 4 was based on myths,gen 5 on higher royal classes; Gen 6 was based on rpg classes and gen 7 most likely on a circus/performer theme. But what about the next one?
>>
>>37169719
stop the water=weapons meme, is wrong
>>
>>37169722
Ok but they still clearly have a theme in each generation. It’s obvious with gen 6
>>
>>37169736
What's the Johto, Hoenn or Sinnoh theme?
>>
>>37169744
Ok IDK about johto and hoen but sinnoh:
Tortera: world turtle
infernape: wukong
Empollen: Poseidon
Their theme is myths
>>
>>37169744
He talks about water starters = loosly based on weapons.
>>
I did enjoy that Past, Present, Future theme from that supposed “leak”. Though what would present be like
>>
>>37169722
The literal only one that fits is Grass.

>Fire
>Zodiac
>Echidnas are rats
>Foxes are dogs

Water's theme is literally "animals that live in water but don't breath underwater". That's it.
>>
Fire fairy bun bun
>>
>>37169744
Only Sinnoh has a theme and its not based on aesthetics. They all gain a STAB that's super effective against the starter whose STAB they'd be weak to.

Kalos did the same thing.
>>
>>37169794
>The literal only one that fits is Grass.
Grass is the only forced one

>Third stage is a snake
>Uuuuh there were prehistoric snakes, the thame still fits!

>Third stage is a fucking owl
>Umh... prehistoric giant owl! Those were also a thing, don't ruin my headcanon!
>>
>>37169719
Movie genre theme + rpg theme:

>Grass: Grass/Fairy druid with a fanatasy based theme.
>Fire: Fire/Steel rabbit gunslinger based on old westerns and adventure movies.
>Water: Water/Fighting snail beast based on kaiju/monster movies.
>>
>>37169794
She's a badger, not an echidna
>>
>>37169814
I'm not gonna disagree it's forced but you're pretty off on the owl shit.

Decidueye's based on the stilt owl, which wasn't giant, but was flightless and native to Hawaii. And now it's extinct. That not only falls in line with the whole "evolution" vibe people are trying to force, but Gen VII's whole "extinction/invasive species" theme (which is definitely present). Its part of the reason Decidueye is Ghost.

I'll play devil's advocate and suggest Serperior is counted because snakes actually evolved to lose their legs, which is what Snivy does as it evolves to Serperior.

>the only forced one
If you believe the zodiac or weapons shit up there you couldn't even count your brain cells on one hand you're so stupid.

>>37169834
Typhlosion might qualify as a badger but Cyndaquil is literally an echidna.
>>
>>37169826
Hmm this one is interesting
>>
>>37169826
Cool idea because people can tweak it.

>Grass/Steel action hero, either like a knight or like Terminator 2
>Fire/Fairy romance protag, hunka hunka burnin love
>Water/Ghost horror movie villain, either like Jason or like Jaws (come on man ghost shark)

That way you have the Hero, the Love Interest, and the Villain. And appropriately:
>Hero is strong against Villain, but can't resist the Love Interest
>Love Interest leaves Hero smitten, but is powerless against the Villain
>Villain can easily take out the Love Interest, but loses against the Hero
>>
>>37169813
Empoleon uses Water, redundantly.
Your story works with Infernape. We’re good here, but...
Torterra SE attacks the redundant type.

>GRS/GRD-[GRD v FIR**]->FIR/FIG=SE
>FIR/FIG-[FIG v STL]->WTR/STL=SE
>WTR/STL-[WTR** v GRD]->GRS/GRD=SE
>>
>>37169719
Niggers
>>
>>37169854
>If you believe the zodiac or weapons shit up there you couldn't even count your brain cells on one hand you're so stupid.

Well looks like we have a bit of a butthurt, don't we?
Oh btw, at least try formulate a correct phrase before calling someone else stupid, my dear tardo friend.
>>
>>37169950
He's 100% right, though
>>
>>37169950
I won't disagree but pls stop with buzzwords. I don't know why you're so hostile to people who agree with you.

All of the themes are forced. At the very most a single gen has a theme, like Kalos.
>>
Why can't the fires starters be 'based off' the zodiac and not directly copied? Like they just look at it and decide in what direction they want their design to go. It'll explain the foxes=/=dogs and echidnas=/=rats. They can still use it to decide what kind of animal they want to use and tweak it a little. They definitely don't just copy them from the zodiac and throw some evo's on it.

The grass theme seems pretty obvious, though it could all be coincidence. We might we looking for patterns that aren't even there.

Water is the only one I don't see. I think they decide themes per gen and not per type. Primarina has a singer/bard theme going on but is definitely not based off a weapon.
>>
>>37169744
Sinnoh theme was myths
>>
>>37169826
Okay this totally isn't a leak.
>>
>>37170209
Why do the fire starts have to be "based off" the zodiac and not just be animals with fire abilities. Like they just make a design without needing to have forced theme. It'll explain foxes not being dogs because it isn't supposed to be a dog, and echidnas not being rats because its not supposed to be a rat. They don't have to use it to decide what kind of animal they want to use so they don't need to tweak, they just pick an animal. They definitely don't just copy them from the zodiac because they're not in the zodiac.
>>
>>37169719
>Gen 1: Reptiles or possibly kaiju
>Gen 2: None
>Gen 3: None
>Gen 4: World Myths
- Torterra = World Turtle
- Infernape = Sun Wukong
- Empoleon = Poseidon/Masculine Water dieties

>Gen 5: Empires (it's been more or less confirmed)
- Serperior = Western Monarchs
- Emboar = Chinese Dynasties
- Samurott = Japanese Empire

>Gen 6: classic Rpg classes
- Chesnaught = Knight/Paladin
- Delphox = Mage
- Greninja =Ninja

>Gen 7: Rpg classes expanded
- Decidueye = Archer/Ranger
- Incineroar = Pugilist/Brawler
- Primarina = Bard/Dancer
>>
>>37170289
>Gen 1
>Implying Bulbasaur is a reptile
Sugimori confirmed that the Kanto starters are based on small school pets that children would bring home (turtles, frogs and lizards).
>Gen 7
>RPG
No, just no. GF isn't retarded enough to use a European-ish theme for a set that's based on a fucking tropical region.
RPG is unique to Kalos and Kalos only.
Starter themes always corresponds with the meaning of the region's name they belong to.
Don't know what Alola means, but I remember Masuda said he wanted a "funny element" in regards to Pokemon designs for SM, so the Alolan set may as well be cartoon tropes.
>Hero
>Princess
>Villain
>>
Human Advancement

Grass would be indicative of agricultural accomplishment and domestication of animals
Fire would have motifs of steam or combustion engines
Water would be inspired by boats/submarines
>>
>>37170588
I believe a big part of S&M was the idea of extinction and invasive species; at least, that's the idea behind Alolan variants and Yungoos as well as the Ultra Beasts.

In that sense:
>Rowlet line refers to the Hawaiian stilt owl, which has gone extinct
>Litten line refers to the introduction of cats to Hawaii which become feral and decimate the prey population of native predators
>Popplio line refers to the the Hawaiian monk seal, which is critically endangered.
>>
>>37170650
>Litten line refers to the introduction of cats to Hawaii which become feral and decimate the prey population of native predators
As if Incineroar wasn't hated enough
>>
>>37170665
Cats do that literally everywhere they go. They're optimal predators basically everywhere.

Of course, the table is turned when Litten evolves and BECOMES the endangered species.
>>
>>37170588
Frogs aren’t reptiles
>>
there's literally no evidence to suggest feraligatr, swampert and primarina are based on those. not everything is a pattern, anons called me a brainlet because i said pseudos don't have to have an immunity, goodra was released and they all backtracked. do you really think gf would put the effort into being that intentional anyway
>>
Water starters aren't based off weapons retard. Their pattern is amphibious creatures.
>>
Not a huge patternfag but I like the idea because it gives me hope that nintendo gives a shit.
>>
>>37169814
Serperior is the evolution of snakes, that's why it loses it's arms and legs throughout it's evolution.

Echidnas aren't rodents, but porcupines are. Still, it's weak even without cyndiquill being the fire mouse pokemon
>>
>>37169719
>water starters use their related weapons
>primarina gets paired with a weapon that would be used against it
>>
>>37170588
I think the rpg thenes are stronger than the hero/villain/princess theme. Plus can't argue against the rpg themes not being present in the Alola starters.
>>
>>37171395
Luchadores are not a typical RPG class
It's not really there.
>>
>>37171406
Wrestlers could easily apply to being a Pugilist or Brawler.
>>
>>37171395
>Plus can't argue against the rpg themes not being present in the Alola starters
Mermaid isn't an RPG class.
>>
>>37170702
Yeah but why the fuck isn't Goodra a Fairy type?
>>
>>37170289
>>Gen 7: Rpg classes expanded
>- Decidueye = Archer/Ranger
>- Incineroar = Pugilist/Brawler
>- Primarina = Bard/Dancer
Stop this meme. They're based on performers.
>>
>>37169744
Johto was purity, hence they don’t change types.
Something about being based in Kyoto.
>>
>>37170688
He didnt say that. Whats with this board and people not being able to understand basic english sentences?
>>
>>37170688
"[T]he experience of keeping small animals such as frogs (Bulbasaur), lizards (Charmander), and baby turtles (Squirtle) as pets gives the game a sense of reality and makes it easier to get into the game. I realized it might be difficult to make an emotional connection if the first partner Pokémon is a tough-looking character."
https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-news/creator-profile-the-creators-of-pikachu/
>>
>>37169719
How about we go back to having monsters instead of fursonas?
>>
>>37169794
So I guess you must also believe that the Swords of Justice aren't based on the three musketeers since, you know, the musketeers weren't ponies.
>>
>>37171632
To be fair this only seems to be a problem fucking up the modern fire and water starter lines. Grass is still pure with no furbait bullshit.
>>
>>37171262
>seal is based off of a club
Okay, you've convinced me
>>
>>37170750
>Pokemon can't have two themes
>>
>>37171676
Decidueye is literally a fursuiter though
>>
>>37169719
>seal
>club
lmao

anyway, i made fakes once with a fire snake, grass thylacine and water echidna with a vague boomerang theme, but no one really liked em and looking back on the drawings i can see why lol. still think a grass thylacine would be cool, though.

as for a theme, i don't think they had one, besides all being arguably australian
>>
>>37171528
No they're based on RPG classes.
>>
>>37171528
What straight individual is entertained by a bow and arrow?
>>
>>37170750
>Their pattern is amphibious creatures
Which makes me think, what sort of animal can be used for the next water starter that's both appealing and marketable?
So far I've got;
>Hippo
>Elephant
>Specific dog species, like Irish Setters, Retrievers, or even a Dalmatian to give it a firefighter gimmick/theme
>Swamp cat-Fishing cat
>Tiger, although GF wasted that opportunity on Incineroar
>Various water birds, like ducks, cranes and seagulls
>Snakes
>Various lizards
>Rodhocetus which would be the closest thing GF would take for a dolphin
>Water/Flying Daubenton's bat
>WATER DEER IT'S GOT FUCKING FANGS
>Plesiosaur, possible concept since it was the one of the original Gen 2 Starters
Yeah.
>>
>>37171765
Knife throwing is a form of performance so Rowlet and Dartrix fit right in. I think archery might be too.
>>
>>37171783
Your reasoning for performers is no stronger than the other anons reasoning for rpg classes.
>>
>>37171781
>all mammals
No thank you.
>>
>>37171793
I'm not that anon, I don't think performers is their theme. It makes more sense than RPG classes though.
>>
Gen 7 is the Freudian Trio.

Deci > Ego
Roar > Id
Prima > Superego
>>
Gen 7 starters theme is superheroes:

Decidueye = Batman
Incineroar = Supermam
Primarina = Wonder Woman
>>
>>37171808
> Owlfags implied egotistical
Based.
>>
>>37171757
>He thinks GF repeats themes unique to regions with specific motifs and aestheticisms

Gen 7 starters are either;
>Story tropes (Hero, Villain, Princess)
>Habitats (Sky, Sea and Land). The name Alola means " land that overflows with life force and supports various forms of life," and since Gen 4, starter themes reflect the meaning of the region's names.
>Circus/Performer (Archer, Wrestler, Singer/Idol)
>Anime tropes (The edgy protagonist, The kyaaa kawaii desu love melody pop Love Interest, The Bruiser with a Soft Center)
>The three B's (Brains, Beauty, Brawn)
>No themes because GF rushed the whole fucking game and couldn't think what to incorporate on the starters, which is why they look so out of placed and mishmashed when standing next to each other.
Take your choice, but it's definitely not RPG.
>>
>>37171832
Forgetting:
>RPG (Ranger, Brawler, Bard)

GF rehashes ideas all the time, why stop now?
>>
>>37169719
Water statrters are based on semi-aquatic animals but for a weapon theme
>Grass type with rose whips
>Fire type battering ram
>Water type torpedo
>>
>>37171859
Because a bard is a fucking poet, traditionally one reciting epics and associated with a particular oral tradition. Primarina is just a fucking mermaid with themes of a diva/primadonna and a Japanese Pop idol, and Incineroar isn't even a real fighter.
>GF rehashes ideas all the time, why stop now?
You have very little faith in GF. Yeah, GF can pull retarded stunts, but they're not going to reuse a /EUROPEAN-ESQUE/ theme that was made for the /FAIRY TALE/ starters on the fucking /TROPICAL/ regional set.
>>
>>37171859
Mermaids aren't bards, they just both happen to be related to music in some way. You're reaching.
>>
>>37169722
The funny thing is that it was initially made to make fun of zodiacfags and now retards take it as an actual thing.
>>
>>37171891
How is greninja european fairy tale esque?
>>
>>37171676
>owl wearing a cape and hood
>no furshit
>>
>>37171891
>Because a bard is a fucking poet, traditionally one reciting epics and associated with a particular oral tradition.
No in rpgs when a majority are music related. Which Primarina is literally a singer. Even it's Pokedex states that it's voice is it's strongest weapon. Bards use their instruments as weapons.

>Primarina is just a fucking mermaid with themes of a diva/primadonna and a Japanese Pop idol
Exactly. Bard in the RPG sense applies to anything musical.

>Incineroar isn't even a real fighter
Not in typing obviously. But according to Pokedex entries it's a fighter through and through. You cannot argue against this.

> but they're not going to reuse a /EUROPEAN-ESQUE/ theme that was made for the /FAIRY TALE/ starters on the fucking /TROPICAL/ regional set.
I don't see whats stopping them? They literally used Chinese, French, and Japanese imagery for the starters of the AMERICAN region.

>>37171895
>they just both happen to be related to music in some way.
>implying the mermaid/siren/selkie inspiration wasn't intentional.
>>
>>37171901
The Kalos starter theme were RPG classes, the mage, the knight and the rogue, respectively. These game roles would be based on various old fairy tales that had taken place during the medieval era.
The Kalos region was specifically given motifs and themes of a medieval setting (League), as well as some areas that felt were straight out of a story book. It would make sense for a starter set that came from PokeFrance, be given a theme that reflects it's unique aesthetic.
Yeah, Greninja has 'ninja' in it's name and appearance, but it's first and foremost a frog that represents a specific role in the theme given to it. Masuda even stated that the thief/rogue class is what Greninja's role was, as they often rely on speed and stealth and are often seen as nimble or ranged combatants while tending to focus more on dodging attacks rather than withstanding damage.
>>
>>37171832
>Story tropes (Hero, Villain, Princess)
How is Primarina a princess? Just because it's feminine doesn't mean it's a princess.
>Habitats (Sky, Sea and Land). The name Alola means " land that overflows with life force and supports various forms of life," and since Gen 4, starter themes reflect the meaning of the region's names.
What the fuck does French royalty and the Chinese empires have to do with America?
>Circus/Performer (Archer, Wrestler, Singer/Idol)
Stop this meme. If we're going to reach than the Gen 6 starters are based on generic medieval movie characters.
>Anime tropes (The edgy protagonist, The kyaaa kawaii desu love melody pop Love Interest, The Bruiser with a Soft Center)
Stop watching Chinese cartoons.
>>
>>37171963
>No in rpgs when a majority are music related.
Bards are versatile and are known to attack with magic-related moves and even cast spells. Primarina does none of that but scream and look pretty.
>Bard in the RPG sense applies to anything musical.
Again, Bards are known to use magic spells and even seduce enemies, which Primarina does not do.
>inb4 "But the seal is already a seductress"
>But according to Pokedex entries it's a fighter through and through. You cannot argue against this.
It's based on a wrestler, that shit ain't real fighting son, and the pokedex states that it's just an asshole who pisses fire.
>They literally used Chinese, French, and Japanese imagery for the starters of the AMERICAN region.
Because Unova was based on New York.
You know, the /MELTING POT/ ? Unova literally means one community despite the difference, which is supposed to be a reflection of New York, the state it was based on.
It doesn't matter if everyone has a different cultural background, it's all a community blur in the end. Which is why the starters were based on different countries, to reflect that image Unova has, what with all the cultural diversity and whatnot.
>>
>>37171994
>How is Primarina a princess? Just because it's feminine doesn't mean it's a princess.
Ok fine, it's the damsel.
>What the fuck does French royalty and the Chinese empires have to do with America?
Unova's Japanese name, イッシュ Isshu, is derived from the Japanese word for "one variety", 一種 isshu, or 1種類 isshurui. According to the game director Masuda, this is to express that although the region is diverse in race, they are all the same when seen from a distance.
A melting pot is a metaphor for a society where many different types of people blend together as one. America is often called a melting pot. Some countries are made of people who are almost all the same in terms of race, religion, and culture.
Snivy, Oshowott and Tepig are all from the same region despite their different cultural backgrounds, this is what is meant when starter themes reflect the meaning of a region's name.
>Sinnoh, Myths= Myth starters
>Unova, Melting Pot = Cultural starters
>Kalos, Beauty = RPG/Fairy tale starters
>Alola, Life that flows everywhere = Habitat starters
>Stop watching Chinese cartoons.
You are on an anonymous imageboard for Chinese cartoons and in a board specifically for Chinese animal creatures. Get real.
>>
>>37172021
>Bards are versatile and are known to attack with magic-related moves and even cast spells. Primarina does none of that but scream and look pretty.
Primarina has access to a variety of special moves including stuff like Psychic, Energy Ball and Shadow Ball

>and even seduce enemies, which Primarina does not do.
Primarina learns Captivate and Baby-doll eyes through level up

Unless you don't consider game mechanics canon, your own post is contraddictory
>>
>>37172058
It's still a pop idol mermaid, and GF could not repeat unique themes for specific starter sets, I mean come on now.
>>
>>37169950
Um, that dude missed some punctuation and you did as well. You should probably fuck off because you sound really desperate.
>>
File: grayons.png (45 KB, 558x614)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
>>37171797
>list contains birds and reptiles
>"HURR DURR NO WANT ALL MAMMAL OPSHUNS"
>>
>>37172101
Why not?
>>
>>37169719
fetishes
Grass-bondage
Fire-bestiality
Water-crossdressing
>>
>>37169887
I like that but tweaked it.
>Fire/Steel Fighter/Hero
>Grass/Fairy Magic Protagonist/Lover
>Water/Poison Assassin/Villain

That way you have the Hero, the Lover, and the Villain. And appropriately:
>Hero is strong against Villain, but can't resist the Lover
>Lover leaves Hero smitten, but is powerless against the Villain
>Villain can easily take out the Lover, but loses against the Hero
>>
>>37169719
PLOT TWIST;
Following on from 'Lets Go' trying to make Eevee popular, Gen 8's Starter is Eevee, however it can evolve into only Vaporeon, Jolteon or Flareon - all of which would have a 'region specific form' which only the starter can gain.
>>
File: mudkip[1].jpg (29 KB, 546x410)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>37169794
>animals that live in water but don't breath underwater

swamper is a axolotl, they breath underwater
>>
File: maxresdefault[11].jpg (133 KB, 1280x720)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>37169826
>Movie genre theme
I buy this, but change water to terror/horror films
>>
>>37169719
Water/Dragon > Fire/Dragon > Grass/Dragon trio where your starter is actually a Dragon type and evolves into one of three branches based on the secondary type, or a Ghost type pokemon that does the same thing.
>>
>>37171963
>>37171895
>>37171859

guys...
>>
>>37169719
What's primarina supposed to be?
>>
>>37170289
>western monarchs
Wrong.
French monarchy.
>>
>>37171963
>american region
Stop this meme.
They based the initial design on new york.
There are a fuck ton of things completely unrelated to america.
The story, themes, mons, characters, many locations, etc.
Actually look through the game and stop pretending america invented everything.
>>
>>37169826
>old westerns
You gonna be specific?
Italian westerns or shitty amerimutt ones?
>>
>>37172054
>cultural starters
What a dumb non theme, every region has that.
>son wukong
>napoleon
>world turtle
>>
>>37169794
>Cyndaquil: fire mouse Pokemon, the fire mouse is Chinese mythological creature and a "form" of the mouse in the Chinese, coincidentally my favorite Pokemon is also my Chinese zodiac. Yes, design wise is based of an echidna or porcupine but it's canonically considered a mouse.
Stop reaching straws when you have two second stage fire starters with literal Chinese patterns on their body. If it wasn't a trend back then now it certainly is.
>>
>>37174877
By cultural starters, he meant starters based on different countries along with their cultures.
>>
>>37175078
I'm not doubting that quote, but where did it come from?
>>
>>37174856
I bet you think Braviary is based on the Phillipine eagle you faggot
>>
>>37170209
>grass theme is pretty obvious
except every fucking animal has a prehistoric counterpart
>>
>>37169794
No, the water starter theme is semi-aquatic animals.
>>
>>37175436
Yeah, exactly like sinnohs starters.
And kalos starters.
>>
>>37175465
>no argument because he knows majority of unova has nothing to do with america

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.