[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 25 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 20180127_130352.jpg (3.19 MB, 4032x3024)
3.19 MB
3.19 MB JPG
I made this thread a while back, and it turned out pretty good. Ask an airline agent anything about air travel. Let's start with some basics.

>Who the hell are you and why should I care?
I am a cross trained agent for Piedmont Airlines, a wholly owned subsidiary of American Airlines. Essentially, I am an employee of American Airlines but Piedmont signs my paychecks. This means that I am fully trained and perform duties at my airports ticket counter, gates, bag room, ramp, and baggage service office for both mainline and regional flights. I am intrinsically familiar with practically all ground level aspects of airport operations.

>Where exactly do you work?
I can't reveal that because my station isn't exactly huge, and it wouldn't be too difficult to narrow me down. Suffice to say, I work at a mid-sized airport on the West Coast of the US that sees both mainline and regional flights to American Airlines hubs.

>What questions won't you answer?
Aside from anything that would reveal what station I work at, I won't discuss any sensitive security information regarding screening, armed passengers/crew, etc.

>How much do you make?
I make somewhere in the range of $14.25/hr

>Do you hate your passengers?
Honestly, no. Customer service can make some people jaded over time but the vast majority of travellers I work with are fine people. I do, on occasion, get people I want to strangle.

>Do you really just throw people's checked bags around?
When I have to, yes. We try not to abuse them too much but we don't have time to be gentle.

>Have you ever been injured on the job?
Personally, no, but I've seen plenty of injuries. One guy I know may even get an amputation, although that's kinda his own fault.

>Do you get flight benefits?
Yes, I get full flight benefits on American Airlines including guest passes, and I can ZED fare on other airlines.

>Why aren't you trip/namefagging?
I don't really care that much.
>>
>Somewhere in the range of $14.25

Do you not understand how ranges work?
>>
>>1652332
he's trans, so no he probably doesn't.
>>
>>1652332
I meant that more in the sense of "give or take" but in any case I wasn't hired for my math skills.
>>
>>1652327
Best sex story in airport?
>>
>>1652332
Range its from A to B. Not point A1.
>>
>>1652339
Honestly never encountered or heard about anyone having sex in my airport. I heard some strange noises coming from a bathroom once but it turns out it was just a schizophrenic man calling for help while he was being arrested. I've tried hitting on some of the flight attendants and asking a coworker out but no luck. Also, no, I am not a member of the mile high club. I've thought about ordering a pilot uniform off the company uniform page so I can trick gullible women online into thinking I'm a pilot though, that's probably my only shot at decent action.
>>
why are the vast majority of male stewardesses gay?
>>
Do you ever run into some CKs or whatever flavors of Platinums that are total dicks? Do you fuck with them in that case?
>>
I’m flying home to Australia from Copenhagen where I live, I wanted to stop off in Vietnam in the way back. Why the fuck is it so expensive to add an extra flight or better yet, is there a cheaper way to do it?
>>
>>1652342
>ordering a pilot uniform off the company uniform page
Please elaborate on this.
If employees of the airline can buy pilot uniforms without a certification or for that matter the job, there must be a million conveyor belt monkeys out there getting very laid.
>>
Why are airline staff all so different in leniancy and additide, wouldn't you think the company would want everyone doing the same thing? If you don't know what I'm talking about; I have arrived to airports with plenty or standard problems,late for a flight, no return tickets booked, no visa for country of entry, overweight bags, feeling very sick and the will either smile and tell me not to worry about it and ignore the fact I don't have a return flight or visa etc and just kinda smile, wave me on my way. But I can go to the same airport with same airline snd even if I just have one of the problems I listed they get really pissed and get fairly aggressive and insist i'm retardard and they won't let me fly. For example I never book returning flights and always get let throuhh without a problem but there was a different girl who was working who insisted they never let anyone board without return tickets and that I was lying about precious experiences.
>>
>>1652342
Do it. Buy it.
>>
>>1652327
have you ever had a belligerent customer?
>>
what's the secret to getting upgraded to business or first class for free?
>>
>>1652442
give a firm handshake and b urself
>>
>>1652442
Have frequent flyer status.
>>
>>1652371
Not really. Frequent fliers, well, fly frequently so they usually know how air travel works as opposed to casual travellers who expect miracles out of me.

>>1652390
Airline pricing is a very, very complicated subject that is far beyond my pay grade.

>>1652409
You don't even need to be an airline employee. The only thing you really can't get is the medals/company insignia, but thots won't notice.

http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/4646

>>1652424
Companies do want us doing the same thing, but we are human. It comes down to a number of factors outside of that. For example, for normal passengers who has missed a flight and has to be rebooked for a different day or different routing, our policy is they have to be charged $200 plus the difference in fare. But in my case... I've forgotten how to do that. I can find the option for the $200 part but calculating the difference is fare seems to be a process that has to be done manually and charged as a custom miscellaneous sale. Now, I am a very lazy man, and I've been told that as long as you charge the passenger SOMETHING, the company doesn't really care. Usually, I'll just charge the very easy, simple, $75 fee reserved for same day, same route flight changes. As for things like visas and return trips, our computer program will warn us if you need a visa or something doesn't seem right about your international flight. We can and often do override these warnings ourselves, but remember that we at the ticket counter are held personally liable by law if you arrive at your destination and you end up getting deported. Personally, if I get a warning from Timatic that someone, say, needs a return flight and I notice they dont have one on their reservation, I'll just ask about it. Usually the answer is that they have one on a separate reservation, and I'll just take their word for it. But we are human, and everyone is different. Just remember we are personally liable to make sure those documents are correct.
>>
>>1652442
There is no secret. There is only one real scenario where you'll be moving passengers from the main cabin to first class and that is during oversold flights where the main cabin is oversold but there are still seats in first class. In that case, we can draw up a list of people signed up to AAdvantage by order of their status and upgrades are given out by that list. If two people have the same status (say there are four Platinum Pros aboard, for instance) than between those people it's a matter of who checked in first. In my experience, there have always been enough members to fill first class. In the theoretical event there were no AAdvantage members aboard, I believe we default to whatever non-basic economy class passenger checked in first. Overall, there is no secret because there is an empirical list that we are supposed to go down. Deviating from that list is possible but you'd have to waive an upgrade to first class, which is a fast way to get some angry emails from management, whereas if you follow the list the system already knows to waive the fee.
>>
>>1652327
If im not on a tight schedule, I always ask the ticket counter if the flight is oversold and if needed i can be bumped. Is this the correct way to ask? im always told no.

Why wont airlines force more people to check their bag? (we've all see the fat housewife with her 26 inch hard shell luggage trying to be stuffed into the overhead bin only to delay push back)
>>
>>1652517
Generally speaking, we do not solicit for over sale volunteers until we determine that a flight has been oversold. Once a flight is oversold, we should be soliciting of volunteers at the ticket counter, and closer to the flight again at the gate. Having agents solicit at the ticket counter is important because getting volunteers there will reduce the workload for the gate agents. In addition, we recently started to solicit volunteers when passengers check in at our kiosks and on the app as well. As soon as an oversold condition is detected, QIK (our computer program we use for practically everything except Gate and Baggage Service Office which is handled by Gatereader and NetTracer respectively) will automatically tell agents to solicit for volunteers every time we check someone in and trigger automated check kiosks and apps to solicit for volunteers. Those that volunteers are place on the VOL list and, in the event of a true oversale, they will be denied boarding in order of the list. In summary, you can always ask and you are asking correctly, but really unless we specifically ask you than there is probably no need for volunteers.
We are supposed to be very stringent with checked bag allowances. Checked baggage makes us good money, but I know for me specifically I can't always see over my desk at the ticket counter to determine the size of their carry on. At the gate, I'm often too concerned with just trying to get the flight out on time than to stop a passenger as I'm boarding, argue with them about their bag size, and force them to check it at the gate. In most airports a second gate agent can keep an eye out for that stuff, buy at my airport Eagle flights (which are our bread and butter) only get one gate agent. For larger stations with more staffing, there really is no excuse except laziness.
>>
>>1652327
Huh. I didn't think Piedmont existed at all any more. Charlottefag here, that airline was a huge part of my childhood here.
>>
>>1652771
We still exist as a subsidiary. It's not the same Piedmont from your childhood, really it's just named that so American can keep the brand name, but we are pretty widespread among the East Coast and dotted along the West as well, although our very few flights are all East Coast routes. CLT is one of our training and flight hubs though, I myself did my month of Customer Service training there. I actually just saw on the company webpage today that we had a workplace fatality in CLT on the 11th. RIP in peace.
>>
>>1652533
What do you eat at job? Any BK in the airport?
>>
How do I get a job like you?
>>
>>1654435
There aren't many restaurants at my airport. I'd kill for a Pieology or something like that. We just have two sit down restaurants, two Starbucks, and three Hudson News stores. Usually I just go down the street for fast food or, more commonly, steal first class leftover meals from the aircraft staying overnight. Technically that is an act of pilferage that can end in my immediate termination, but any dinner items not served on the way here are going to be thrown away. I don't like wasting food and they can't serve it on the flight back tomorrow morning, so it's not like the passengers will miss it, so what's the harm? By the way, tonight was an unappetizing looking but surprisingly tasty grilled chicken with a baked potato on the side.

>>1654445
This is an entry level position, and it's the first real job I've ever had. You can always check Americans website for employment opportunities, but don't forget to check Envoy Airlines and Piedmont Airlines as well. Both of those companies are wholly owned subsidiaries of American Airlines and working for them entitles you to the same flight benefits mainline employees get. At least, that's how it works for me at Piedmont. If you are going to apply, I suggest studying up on what kind of aircraft your local station services as well as how many flights a day you have. If you are expected to work on the ramp, be sure to mention any previous experience with performing physical labor. My own hiring manager has admitted he is more interested in hiring people skilled in physical labor than customer service even though our job requires strong skills in both; mainly because we can always train people to be better at customer service whereas he doesn't want a new hire to die when temperatures on the ramp hit 110°F.
>>
>>1652327
You have a higher chancer of cancer due to the scanners
>>
>>1654602
At least you help to avoid wasting food and saving money.

Have a great day.

Any animals inside the airport ever? Stray cats or dogs?
>>
>>1654657
Strays? No, never seen any strays inside the airport, maybe just a cat or two in the parking lot. As for emotional support animals and service animals, I see those from time to time. We've really been trying to clamp down on people abusing emotional support animals. It used to be that people just had to show up with their animal and a note from their psychologist saying they had an emotional support animal and I had to accept them. People didn't want to pay the $200 that we charge for a normal cabin pet so they would just print out a fake letter from some fake doctor and I'd pretty much have to take it at face value. Now people are required to submit their paperwork about a week in advance of their flight so we can verify the authenticity of their note, and if somebody shows up with an emotional support animal without it already being on their reservation we can turn them away or charge them as a cabin pet. True service animals still don't need prior documentation though, but those have always been less of a hassle since they are actually trained.
>>
>>1654667
Didnt know USAfags were scamming with support animals. By the way, do you like cats or dogs? How many hours and days you work? Can you speak another language?
>>
>>1654677
Cats. About 30 hours a week give or take, I'm only part time. No, English only.
>>
Can you check the reservation statuses for airlines other than AA? If so, I would like you to help me out.
>>
>>1654687
How many Trump supporters fly with your carrier?
>>
>>1654715
No, under normal circumstances I can't look at other airlines reservations. The exception to that is if one of their connections is on an AA flight, they purchased the ticket via codeshare, or they get rerouted onto an AA flight. If at any point their ticket generates a six letter AA record locator, I can pull up the reservation, but aside from that no. There may be a way to do it, but if there is I'm not aware of it.

>>1654717
Passengers generally don't discuss their political opinions, nor am I really inclined to care. Most of my co-workers and myself generally lean right but discussing politics is poor for morale. With that said, many of us have a shared distrust with the left due to many of their frontrunners promising to harshly target airlines and therefore work directly against our livelihoods.
>>
>>1654677

"emotional support animals" is such a fucking scam. You see it at places in the US like grocery stores all the time where pets usually wouldn't be admitted. It's general some tiny toy breed of dog riding in some woman's purse or something. You can instantly tell an actual service animal because they are large working breeds and the person who has one is obviously disabled in some way. Dumb whores are devaluing the concept of an actual service animal by dragging their pets along with them for fun.
>>
>>1652424
Not sure why this employee made this thread to risk their job or why their training can't answer some of these questions. I'll answer a couple for you.

Return flights are required for some countries where you could be an overstay risk. Fact. Be the wrong citizenship, wrong race, wrong appearance and your treatment varies, yes. Do some get away with it? Sometimes. Yes, people aimlessly travel and get away with one-way security flags and the illegality of not having return bookings, but they can also be people of means who can prove they have decent money and a platinum credit card x10, and won't become indigent medically, illegally be forced to work, or someone who couldn't afford the ticket home. The airline used to be able to be fined some serious fines for taking passengers onboard without their proper immigration and customs criteria, everything from visas, transfer travel booking, and photo ID. If people land and no passport on them, who is in trouble? The airline too. If you intend to be so open ended, you lie about that fact. You're free to change your mind and plans later. Having no plans scares officials though.

Overweight bags are a big no-no, because they are actually responsible not for lying there with FAA regulations. Weights and balances simply can't be wrong. It's equivalent to overfilling an airplane and causing it to crash, or else that employee stealing from their boss by not charging fees. I firmly believe they let 1lb go, or not if you are bitchy and not a skymiles member with clout getting the free bag anyway, but the actual weight is indeed going into their computers or they ask you to move items to your carry-on. When it matters most? Going to the Caribbean, any island, and third world...they're packing the belly with crap people are paying to take home. They might even leave your bags just for funsies for their more lucrative cargo for $$$.
>>
>>1654818
The thing about bag weight is that none of that is calculated at the ticket counter at the time of check-in. The weight you see on the scale isn't inputted into my computer for weight and balance purposes, and theoretically I don't have to charge you for a heavy bag if I don't want to. Obviously that's a breach of policy, but my point is that I can look at the scale, see it's 60LB, and still charge it like a normal bag. Now, this does open up a bit of an issue. When a bag is checked as a heavy bag and charged as a heavy bag, it prints out a heavy bag tag. When we scan that bag planeside, it is automatically counted as a heavy bag. Otherwise, we have to manually enter it as a heavy bag after we scan it. That really isn't an issue in practice because policy states that heavy bags must have a separate heavy tag attached (pic related) that has the weight written on it. So even if the bag tag itself isn't marked as a heavy bag, since it's still tagged with a separate heavy tag it's still very obviously a heavy bag when it's coming down the bag belt and putting it down as a heavy bag on the scanner is literally one extra tap, so not a big deal... assuming the heavy tag stays on. If the heavy tag falls off or gets ripped off in transit, there will be no way for ramp crews to know it's a heavy bag without weighing it again, which is unlikely. That's where you start to run the risk of weight and balance discrepancies, although in practice one or two 60LB bags instead of 50LB bags isn't going to crash even a CRJ200. Probably.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.