[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: germanstates.jpg (143 KB, 800x798)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
What are your favorite parts of Germany?
I'm going to Berlin this year, but next year I want to go back and maybe do a Frankfurt+ Freiburg im Breisgau trip.
Keep in mind that from New York, there are only direct flights to Berlin, Frankfurt, and Munich. I know 4chan doesn't seem to like Frankfurt very much, but I'm the type that can have fun anywhere as long as there are good restaurants and bars.
>>
Which city is better, Karlsruhe or Freiburg?
>>
bump
>>
I've heard great things about Stuttgart but can't confirm/deny. Personally I did Mainz for 4 days, Nuremberg for 4 and then my parents came to visit me in Berlin for 7 days.

All extremely lovely places filled with lovely people (Berlin had the usual big city problems) but the great thing was that you can take day trips literally anywhere for pretty cheap.
>>
>>1642235
I went to Cologne and Dortmund last year. Cologne didn't really have anything going for it except the cathedral. Dortmund had nothing much in it, but it was a really green city. Parks all over the place. Probably quite a nice place to live.
>>
Reeperbahn in Hamburg
Bahnhofsviertel in Frankfurt
>>
Bamberg, Würzburg, Tübingen, Schwäbisch Gmünd, Freiburg, Heidelberg. No joking pretty high up in the list of most beautiful cities is the world in my opinion.
If you love nature go for hikes pretty much anywhere in Baden-Württemberg.
Have a look for cheap train tickets.
If you are American then a few hours of travel won't face you I presume. I would go to Munich and from there to Würzburg, Bamberg, Nürnberg. If you have the time then be sure to visit every city I mentioned in my list. Have some Rauchbier (smoked beer) in Bamberg.

If you have any more questions be sure to ask.
>>
>>1642235
The best thing about Frankfurt is the Robert Johnson in Offenbach (if you like techno). Don't miss the Germanisches Nationalmuseum in Nürnberg if you go there as some anons advised. Nürnberg is a pretty brown and sometimes dirty city, but you can have good food, culture ("medieval" buildings and many Nazi sites) and beer there for reasonable prices.
>>
>>1642235
I like to go to Baden-Baden to see some old Russian dicks at the baths
>>
>>1643426
Only good post so far. People unironically recommending Frankfurt, Dortmund, Cologne or Stuttgart, lmao. These are bland modern cities at best (Frankfurt, Stuttgart) and Germany's Rust Belt at worst (Dortmund, Stuttgart). Go to Tübingen, Bamberg, Heidelberg, Regensburg, Nördlingen, Rothenburg and Freiburg, OP.
>>
>>1643447
Dortmund, Cologne*
>>
>>1643448
climbing the cathedral is definitely worth it, i hope you arent fat op

i did the koln and frankfurt cathedrals and also recreated hitler at the Römer
>>
>>1642235
>What are your favorite parts of Germany?
Anything with mountains or rocks. While you definitely won’t find the
>no one around me for days
Solitude (or solitude feeling) that you can in the US, there’s still surprisingly lots of nature left.
>>1643447
>People unironically recommending Frankfurt, Dortmund, Cologne or Stuttgart, lmao. These are bland modern cities at best (Frankfurt, Stuttgart) and Germany's Rust Belt at worst (Dortmund, Stuttgart).
So what does a city have to offer for you to be non-lmao?
Sure, they’re all not world renown cities that are on everyone’s instagram bucket list like New York or San Francisco, but depending on what you’re interested in, you can still find things to do an visit.
I.e. if you’re into cars, Stuttgart is a must. As is the rusty Ruhr area if you are interested in the history of heavy industry and mining. And Frankfurt kinda flies under the radar, but it really improved quite a bit over the years! I’ve been there with my gf last year and yeah, it’s not Las Vegas, New York, Vancouver or LA (to which she has all been) but if you’re not a narrow minded autist, you can make your visit worth it.
>>
>>1643449
The Cathedral is only only thing worth seeing in Cologne and it is very convinient that it's so close to the train station so you can get back there and leave Cologne as soon as possible when you are done.
>>
>>1643454
dont forget the hordes of beggars and "street performers" infront of the cathedral

love stepping over some retarded slav lady bouncing up and down like michael j fox to get into a church
>>
If you visit Dortmund take some sandniggers with you please.

Thanks.
>>
>>1642235
Stay the fuck out of non-southern/eastern German cities.
>>
>>1643740
No Schleswig-Holstein?
>>
>>1643740
Why, though?
>>
>>1644022
Generic, bland, depressing.
Bamberg on the other hand will feel like a Bavarian Disney Land.
>>
>>1644051
I’m a southerner myself, but that’s just not true. Even a fucking deprecated shithole like Bremen/Bremerhaven has some things worth seeing (Bremen old town and the museums in Bremerhaven). You just gotta figure out what you’re interested in beforehand.
>>
>>1642235
East germany is underrated as fuck favorite place is saxon and saxon switxerland to hike, gf is from there so she took me to dresden, leipzig both amazing cities not as americanized as berlin. Also i really liked hamburg
>>
>>1644022

big reason why eastern germany is underrated is because west germans love to talk shit about eastern germany just because they are richer than the east like this cuck, however the great thing about eastern germany is that it isnt as americanized as the west and still has retained its german culture and traditions like parades

>>1643740
>>
Area in and around Heidelberg for me.
>>
>>1644418
I find all parts of Germany interesting. I'm going to Berlin later this year and might do a daytrip to Leipzig.
>>
All of Bavaria and Austria. Both not really Germany though
>>
>>1643740
Thanks for the advice Mohammed.
>>
I was born in Freiburg. It is a very beautiful town that is not too crowded and has great nature around (Schwarzwald if you enjoy hiking, Kaiserstuhl if you enjoy wine tasting)

In Freiburg itself I definetly recommend the Altstadt around the Cathedral and visit a rooftop cafe for a nice view over Freiburg.
It does also offer some nightlife as Freiburg is mainly a students city (The district for clubbing is known as Bermuda-Dreieck)
>>
>>1645320
I do want to go to Freiburg on my next Germany trip, but that would likely require flying into Frankfurt. So I need to figure out how to work that out, and try to reduce extra travel time
>>
>>1645324
You can travel by train. That takes roughly 2hrs.

Also have a look at Basel (40min by train) and Zurich (2hrs) as destination airports
>>
>>1644372
How is Bremen today? I might get a job offer for 50k eur/annum. I calculated gross/net it comes out to around 2.4-2.5 (tax lvl 1). Is that ok by german standards?
>>
If you don't go to Bayern you're a fucking idiot. If you really want to experience Germany as an American go to Austria. I'm not even memeing.
>>
>>1645342
I do want to go to Austria some day.
>>
>>1645338
you would be tax 4 though
>>
>>1645338
I lived in the outskirts of Bremen for like six months with a 45k job. And monetary wise, that was plenty, even though I wasted like 200€ every weekend to go home.
The city center itself is really beautiful but there’s nothing around it. For tourists, that’s enough, but living there? No thanks. No landscape, no nothing. If you’re not intheir soccer or gun club, it’s kinda hard to get to know the locals.
But maybe it’s because I’m a southerner and I don’t understand the northern mentality (and vice versa). Also the fact that they don’t have any dialect at all and refuse to understand anything that’s not 100% written high German is really off putting. But don’t base your decision solely on me. Maybe I’m just autistic (but I have had 0 of those problems after moving to Austria)
>>
Is Munich a good place to visit/work/live ?
>>
I stayed in Hamburg when I was younger, very fun city. Bremen is also cool, you should check out the climahaus if you're there. When are you in berlin? I'm actually going back to germany this fall for a wedding near Hannover. I'll also be hitting berlin, as well as munich for the tail end of Oktoberfest
>>
>>1645451
If I may ask, whats the difference in mentality between South and North? I've never lived North of Munich. I've been to Frankfurt once (yuck) to pick someone up from the airport since their flight was cheaper there than Munich.

>>1645463
I like Munich but it can be expensive. How much will you make or expect to make?
>>
Bavaria is my spiritual homeland
>>
>>1645482
This is now a Bayern appreciation thread.
>>
>>1645487
Near Garmisch-Partenkirchen, on the Kreuzeck.
>>
>>1645489
I own a vacation rental around there, so AMA if you want to know what to do or go in this area.
>>
>>1645490
>>
>>1645489
>>1645490
Ahhhhh
I want to retire to Garmisch. Been there twice. Most peaceful place on earth
t. Amerikaner
>>
>>1645478
60k/year before tax
I am an EU citizen from south of Europe, if that matters.
>>
>>1645498
That should be enough live ok, and being Southern Europe is pretty cool, so that matters. You won't live downtown, but I doubt you'd want to anyway.

>>1645492
Unironically buy property there. Its super limited and always goes up in price. Its a tourist hotspot year round. Have Airbnb guests pay for the mortgage until its time to retire.
>t. vacation rental owner
>>
Is Halle (Salle) worth visiting?

I want to do a day trip from Berlin and that one is only about 1 hour away by train. Hamburg is 2 hours.
>>
What would be a good place to catch some punk/alternative shows?
>>
Visit cologne during carnival, see the cathedral, a bunch of free museums, great food. While you're in the area go see the Baggar 288 (pic). Then pop over to the greater Bonn area and visit Schloss Drachenburg, a 19th century castle in the mountains in mint condition. They do laser light shows inside too which is sweet.

My old city of Essen was voted the green capital of Europe, because it was completely 'sploded during ww2 and rebuilt from the ground up with modern zoning and construction. The grugapark there is amazing and the bar/club district Ruttenscheid is great for picking up Arian bitches
>>
File: LargestExcavator-1.jpg (1.02 MB, 1200x1200)
1.02 MB
1.02 MB JPG
>>1647025
Forgot pic
>>
File: bagger288.jpg (478 KB, 2000x1500)
478 KB
478 KB JPG
>>1647025
>While you're in the area go see the Baggar 288 (pic).
Bagger!
But don't expect too much. There's no way that you get close to it. And most certainly not as close as I was (pic related). There's a few vantage points where you can see into the pits (which in itself is quite impressive), but the holes itself are off limits to the public. Don't know if they're doing tours, but if they do, I'm certain they won't allow you to leave the truck.
>>
Bavaria is the best region. Then Austria. Then Baden-Württemberg. Then Saxony/Hamburg tied. Berlin is a shithole and only good if you really just want party and drugs. Cologbe and most of the west is a cultural dessert.

Best citys Vienna, then all the smaller Bavarian and Swabian ones. Bamberg, Rothenburg, Passau, etc.
>>
>>1642235

I hateloved Hamburg. Yes, it has its nice parts, but the Bahnhofsviertel is just full of criminals and junkies. Also I participated in the Kiez Tour, pretty funny.
>>
>>1645320
Will I be able to communicate with people in Freiburg if I speak Hochdeutsch or do I have to learn their swabian dialect?
t. Planning on studying at Albert Ludwigs Universität
>>
>>1647369
>Freiburg
>Swabian
Uh, don't worry about your dialect, or rather lack thereof. You will not live long enough if you mistake a Badenser for a Schwob.
>>
>>1647395
Oh alright I haven't really looked into all of these regional differences since I'm still one year away from actually moving there
>>
>>1647438
Ye as long as you dont mention Swabian or Maultaschen you will be fine
>>
>>1642237
Freiburg by far.
>>
>>1647843
I disagree
>>
>>1645482
Bavaria is so beautiful. wow
>>
>>1642237
Freiburg is best imho
>>
>>1643382
Cologne is great on NYE ;-)
>>
I toured the western parts of Germany and other parts of west Europe last October with my American rugby club. I visited Stuttgart and the surrounding countryside, Heidleberg, Cologne, and Frankfurt. Here are my feelings on those areas:

Stuttgart: OK city overall. Very friendly locals in my experience. I think it would have been more fun if I was younger, single and not touring the city with distant relatives. There were young people (teens to early twenties) drinking everywhere in the historic areas starting at dusk. I will say that the young people in the city are filthy. They litter their trash and waste everywhere they go. However, the next day the streets are spotless... The old people clean up the children's messes of the previous night dutifully. Honestly I was disgusted by the way the young people treated the historic areas of the city. Very disrespectful.
The countryside around Stuttgart is bountiful with beautiful scenery and history. Hohenzollern Castle is a short distance away, which I highly recommend.

Heidleberg is great! Worth a visit. Beautiful city, pleasant people. Night life is so-so.

Cologne is great as well. If you arrive by metro, you'll be immediately greeted by the most impressive cathedral in Germany. I recommend the Belgian District. Solid night life!

Frankfurt was a shithole. I honestly feel more safe in almost every American city I've been to or lived in. There are nice areas, but the heart of the city reminds me of Detroit.
>>
>>1645342
Can confirm, west germany is basically America Lite
>>
>>1649349
even Baden Wurttemberg?
>>
>>1649682
Stuttgart is a shithole, but yes.
>>
File: 1565381019457.webm (1.95 MB, 960x1200)
1.95 MB
1.95 MB WEBM
>>1642237
Karlsruhe is shit construction work year Uni looks like shit
>>
>>1649682
even Baden Wurttemberg
>>
bümp
>>
When you're going to Berlin you should visit Potsam with its castles.
>>
>just met the first Germans I’ve ever liked yesterday
>stayed out all night swapping stories
>invited me to Hamburg in a few weeks
Huh, I guess not every German is shit. I’ll have to re-evaluate
>>
Is there anything interesting to see and do in Münster?
I study there already nearly a year (I continue to live in Hamm and commute), but overall Münster feels hardly more interesting except it's not so poor.
>>
Rhine river valley if you enjoy hiking and wine.
>>
File: _DSC1648.jpg (3.18 MB, 2000x1333)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
>>1654426
>>
>>1642235
>Frankfurt
I went to Zum Gemalten Haus and had me a massive plate of like a gazillion different sausages on top of delicious sauerkraut, some Handkäs, and a shitload of apple wine.
Def one of the best german meals I've ever had. Highly recommended.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.