[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 7 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: mountain-water.gif (497 KB, 500x475)
497 KB
497 KB GIF
Let's say I've got $10k and I want to live alone for a year. Besides the wilderness, where do you sign up for isolation? I'd like running water and electricity. There are too many people in hotels, and I've never seen an AirBNB without other houses next to it.
>>
alaska
>>
>>1631436
>>1631436
That’s $833 per month total on rent, food, entertainment. If you spend half on accommodations then your looking at about $14 a night. Your best best would not be anywhere that is used to charging a nightly rate, like Airbnb or hotels, since you’re usually paying a premium for very short stays. So you’d probably be better off renting an apartment for 6 months or a year.

I think there are cheap places in Eastern Europe, however not sure about remote, but how are you planning to get food at a remote place? Are you going to hunt or fish or forage? If not, you can’t really be too remote.

If you want remote without the wilderness you can always rent a cheap basement somewhere and stay in it all day everyday.
>>
What if I want to relax on a beach somewhere thats secluded?
>>
>>1631574
Secluded beaches aren’t known for clean running water or electricity.
>>
>>1631567
>If you want remote without the wilderness you can always rent a cheap basement somewhere and stay in it all day everyday.
That doesn't sound too bad. I could be like that ogre guy with the toe thumb.
>>
>>1631567
>how are you planning to get food at a remote place?
Drive 1-3 hours to a store. I don't care about being that far away from other people, I just want to scream without anyone being concerned.
>>
>want secluded place
>but want modern comfort
>830/mo

Some fucking place in south america I guess. You could probably make Ecuador anon happy and live well there

>>1631574
For 830/mo you won't be anywhere safe or with reliable electricity or water. Maybe the Philippines but that's a huge maybe.

You could possibly rent out some kind of secondary home from someone or do someone who has a summer home, then flip in season change. There are actually a lot of canadian snowbirds who have houses like that in Arizona, NM, and such.
>>
With that money, plus some good planning and coping skills, you could live fine in SE Asia or India, but not really alone, you’d be amongst the teeming sweaty third world hordes.

What languages do you know or what countries are you familiar with? Can you cook your own meals? Not every place has the same food you are used to for sale in the stores, especially in the boonies.

Your best bet is somewhere cheap and remote in your own country.

Also, if you just want a place you can scream aloud, that might get old after a few weeks. You need to have more of a plan for a year. I don’t think you really know what you want and perhaps you saw some tv show or movie that inspired you to want to do this, because you’re not really able to articulate what kind of situation you’re looking for.
>>
>>1631574
Not me. Fuck beaches.

>>1632227
You're right, I don't know what I want.
Instead of a year, let's make it a month.
I'm a dumb American. I don't know any other country or language.
I don't care if I live in a shack, as long as it's clean, and I have electricity to program with. I don't even need an internet connection, as long as I can leech wifi somewhere once a week to upload files and update packages.
This is a desperation thread. I'm going nuts and I want to be alone. I have a bit of money in the bank and I don't know where to spend it to get what I'm looking for. It seems no one rents places that few people want.

>>1632155
Poor countries are always viable for cheap living, but as you say, there are always people around.
If drinkable running water is too much of a modern comfort, I'll fill up large bottles and drive them to the location.

Parking a cheap used trailer somewhere sounds like my best option, but that eats up a large portion of my capital. I don't think it's wise to commit everything up front.
>>
>>1632384
10k for a year is not going to be viable unless you go to some poor country and a secluded place. Everywhere else is going to have strict visa limits.

Why not just to 6-8 months and ramp up your possible spending money a bunch
>>
>>1632464
$1000 a month, $2000 a month, whatever. I'm looking to sleep with no one seeing be or hearing me.
>>
>>1632384
10k for a year is not enough also for going abroad you will run into visa issues so your best bet is within the US.
Get a cheap VW camper a tenth and sleeping bag and go somewhere in the Appalachia area, plenty of secluded areas where you won't see people for days.

Other options but limited to 90days max would be renting a cabin in rural sweeden, norway or finland way up north. But I guess after flights, transfer and rent there isn't much left of your 10k.
>>
File: 1561757912107.jpg (2.94 MB, 1304x7568)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>1632384
become this man
>>
>>1632512
Buy a cheap ass camper
go to montana
understand how to fish
fill it up with gear and solar panels
done
>>
>>1632521
>>1632537
Blowing it all on a mobile living space seems to be the most viable option. I don't want to commit to something so big when I'm fucking retarded and feverish, though.

Surely there's something more temporary/certain?

>>1632528
Yeah, that'll be me.
>>
>>1632557
>I want to be living away from everyone
>uhh nah can I get some normal first world accommodations
>I don't want south america because people might be there
>k get a van
>ugh seems uncomfortable

Just go ask on >>>/out/ dude
>>
>>1632557
Then get a tent, a sleeping bag and a greyhound ticket. That be $500 and you are good to go.
See >>>/out/
>>
>>1632559
A VAN IS PERFECTLY COMFORTABLE but the expense is unideally front-loaded. COMFORT is not the problem!! It needs to be tight. I'll spend all my money on a mobile living space!

I want to sleep away from everyone, so that no one hears me. But during the day, I'll mingle. I don't want people looking at me first. Once I get things set up, I will be the only one to initiate visual contact. I don't want people asking me how I'm doing.

I would prefer a noisy area. I breathe when the vacuum cleaner is on, or when I'm driving. No one can hear me.

>>1632570
That's an unsuitably short-term solution. /out/ is no good. I don't want to be out, I want to be in.
>>
>>1632578
>A VAN IS PERFECTLY COMFORTABLE but the expense is unideally front-loaded.

huh? used ones are like 2-3k do you not understand how to buy used? You'll be making an investment that will pay for itself over the course of a year in terms of living spaces. Craigslist my man, not hard.

>I want to sleep away from everyone, so that no one hears me.
ok
> But during the day, I'll mingle.
Nigga what the fuck are you even asking?

Just go to Colorado or Arizona, have a car, go into the city for shit, drive a bit out of it for buttfuck nothing. I can't understand what you are asking.

> I don't want people looking at me first. Once I get things set up, I will be the only one to initiate visual contact. I don't want people asking me how I'm doing.
You ain't going to have your cake and eat it to unless you go to some south american or SEA shithole own a bike, and drive in/out of the cities daily. You're asking for something really weirdly complex, rural america exists where you can be in a city and 45 minutes after driving be in bumfuck no where next to nothing. Do you like live in LA or NYC where that isn't common and never left there or some shit?
No clue what the fuck you're even asking at this point. Blythe CA would work for you I guess. There is a "town" surrounded by literally fuck all with absolutely nothing around. Same with Gila Blend AZ or most of Arizona for that matter. Flagstaff would probably be for you honestly
>>
>>1632578
>>1632578
> I don't want people looking at me first. Once I get things set up, I will be the only one to initiate visual contact. I don't want people asking me how I'm doing.

That’s easy. Just go to a city and give everybody a contract and make them sign it. Lol. What kind of bullshit requirements are these?
>I have $10k for one year
>I want to be alone
>but not in the wilderness
>but away from all people
>somewhere I can scream!
>where no one can hear me sleep
>I will mingle in the day
>I need clean running water and electricity
>okay I can drive for hours each day to haul clean water
>okay maybe not one year maybe a month
>I just want to program
>all I need is WiFi
>maybe I should get a camper van?
>no one is allowed to look at me
>I will initiate visual contact
Holy shit. You sound like you are having delusions or have bipolar and are currently in some high period. This is painful to read, you obviously have little real life experience.
>>
Then it is settled. I will buy a used camper van and travel the west coast.

The only question remaining is, maybe I should get a used RV instead, or perhaps a used trailer with a used truck. A used truck alone costs a bunch, but will be useful when hauling things (like the trailer). Not sure where I'd park it though. Trailers don't really go off road very well.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.