[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 38 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: 20190708_194644.jpg (35 KB, 822x787)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
Travelers from 3rd world countries, are you always severely depressed when you visit a 1st world country and then have to return to your shitty crime filled country?
>>
I don't know, why dont you go ask someone from the US who visited Canada, New Zealand or Western Europe.
>>
Yes it's alienating af. It never goes away. It's very common for people to become jealous hateful crybabies and sudoku or hikikomori. A fitting reaction to having felt life's unfairness if you ask me.
>>
>>1629856
I always get depressed when I have to come back to London, yes.
>>
>>1629856
Absolutely, it always means going from clean, safe places with reliable public transportation and wide availability of consumer goods to overtaxed murderous shitholes. I have no idea why people from first world countries suddenly get the urge to move to places like these, I don't see how anyone would willingly make a move from being able to walk outside after 8pm to fearing for their integrity every single time they go outside.
>>
>>1629990
C'mon, NYC isn't that bad bro.
>>
this definitely wont turn into a "muh country is whiter than yours xD" thread. no chance
>>
>>1629996
That reminds me, I also went to NYC and it felt like a expensive third world city with all the hobo goodness. Pretty much as unsafe as my home city.
>>
>>1630009
It's on par with SF for glaring differences in income inequality
>>
>>1630009
London is similar, I saw cleaner cities in Third World countries
>>
>>1629888
i know this is b8, but i have experienced this. i thought i was going to cry on the plane ride back from geneva to the rural US.
>>
OP what you don't get is that most third worlders on the Western/English-speaking Internet are spoiled upper-class brats who went to fancy private schools, live in fenced-off mansions with security guards and let their maids and butlers write their shit posts for them. For the most part they have zero contact with the poor masses.
>>
>>1630022
>he actually believes this
>>
>>1630022
South American here. This is partially true, but travel is becoming cheaper and people are shifting their priorities, so this becomes gradually less and less true over the years. As for myself, I managed to backpack in Europe while I had a part-time job that literally paid $300/mo because I still live with my parents and have no college debt (public uni). My parents didn't give me a single penny.
I agree though, there's a bunch of self-righteous insufferable cunts going on trips with daddy's money. I simply managed to drag my short brown ass somewhere else.
>>
>>1630011
>WAAHHH WHY ARE THERE RICH PEOPLE WHERE THERE ARE POOR PEOPLE!!!
>>
>>1630138
I know you thought this was a good post, but it really wasn't, sorry. Better luck next time trying to make a coherent post!
>>
>>1630147
Hey man, I'm sorry you're jealous of my glorious post, but if you keep trying I'm sure you'll get it eventually!
>>
I'm from a post-USSR country and I always make sure to visit countries below that development index, so there's always at least some upsides to coming back.
Although every year there's less and less.
>>
Its 50/50
As a white saffa - I've seen places in the US and Europe which were far worse off and disgusting than what I've experienced here in South Africa.
>>
>>1629856
No, i really enjoy my travels and i have some sort of motivation when i have to return.
>>
>>1630252
I'm south African and I went to Perth for a week.

It was amazing just walking around at night. Only had one dodge experience but it was otherwise good.

I've been mugged in daylight in Johannesburg.
>>
>>1630247
Smart move, comrade.
>>
I live in a first world" country (Finland) and am even more depressed when I come back to this boring shithole from absolutely amazing "poor" places like Prague and Krakow that have an actual history and cuisine.
>>
>>1629990
>I don't see how anyone would willingly make a move from being able to walk outside after 8pm to fearing for their integrity every single time they go outside.

You just described most first world cities.
In the west at least.
>>
>>1631803
Nah, it's typically the noggy/kebab neigbourhoods. If it's a white neugbourhood then it'll be very safe.
>>
>>1630014
>I thought Iwas going to cry on the plane ride back from geneva to the rural US.
How so?
>>
>>1631803
>oh no a nog looked funny at me after 10pm
Try being shot/stabbed to death because you pulled your phone out.
>most first world cities
Yeah, literally everything in the West has the same murder rates as a big city in South America. Sure fucking thing.
>>
>>1631803
T. Untravelled /pol/-poster
>>
>>1631826
I didn't want to come back. the people there were super nice (definitely more friendly than the people at home), beautiful scenery, good food, etc. It's been two years since that and i still haven't left the country.
>>
>>1629856
My country is not crime ridden despite being third world.
>>
Been to most of Europe. Love the history and culture, ladies for a few weeks at a time. Would never stay. The people are cold. The weather is trash. And to be completely honest, I enjoy living in a wild west society. Be street smart and you can get away with everything. You get mugged in a your own third world country, you're a complete moron lacking vigilance. First world country boys are too puss to enjoy REAL freedom.
>>
>>1629954
>back to London
Why of all places in England are you still there?
>>
>>1631900
You sound like my indian ex-girlfriend and in both instances it just seems like stockholm syndrome.
What country are you from?
>>
>>1631900
Not always.

They aren't being sneaky about mugging you. If you are the only white person that's why they selected you.

Easy to get away with shit if you're the same race as everyone else.
>>
>>1629856
There's weeks of sadness but not depression from returning. My cuntry has one of the worst traffic congestion and public transportation plus the weather is hot and humid combined with air pollution.
But I can imagine people from developed countries living mostly in snow and cold with less human contact and haven't seen the sun for months. Now that's fucking depressing man! At least I can go to the beach and enjoy if I'm starting to go insane. No immigrants to deal with is a big plus.
>>
>>1631900
I agree about the people being cold, it's one of the worst things about Europe
I'm not talking about "they don't smile all the time and are cheerful 24\7", they're just a bunch of assholes
Most of them have this "eat your meal and fuck off" vibe to them to a point that I'd hate to eat restaurants because I always felt like they were doing me a favor by even letting me in
I'd get it if I was a "tourist" type that is wasted or loud all the time
The non-whites who worked in the service industry were actually really nice
Obviously, I'm not talking about the whole of Europe and more around the parts of Western Europe

All of that being said, I'd still prefer to live there and not my shithole country
I'd take cold people over constant bullshit from everyone because my country has a massive superiority complex so every day is a grind
Also, I dig the weather
>>
3rd worlders(exclude chinese and indians) can be shit but they are so far and in-between it's negligible. I mean yeah they are bad but you can spot them a mile a way and easily avoid them, they often tend to stay in some trash heap they think is amazing and get drunk too fast and pass out. Virtually anyone I've met who was from some backwater place at home or abroad was either complete trash just going to the bar for the white woman or so polite you almost feel bad for them.

Euros are by far more annoying to meet most the time
>travels once out of the bubble of the EU
>wonders where X is like back home, it should be like back home!
>talks about how there is not IN YOUR FACE THIS IS THE CULTURE shit even though many downtown places in Europe look stupidly similar
>brings up local politics all the time or worse US politics that are basically a headline of understanding at best
>talks about the local but basically stayed within a 5km circle or few block radius of the place of stay because using google maps for bus routes or trains is hard and not like back home
>feels they are the gift to whatever area they are, if you really don't care to talk with them or about them gracing your area with their presence then you're being rude
>cheapscapes to literally everything because "don't agree with tipping culture" or some other bullshit reason like "eh not as good as things I got in X... ahh X.. now that's a fine place"

I'd rather take a thirdworlder who I know is either easy as shit to spot and avoid, grateful for help and polite, or knows how to shut the fuck up along with controlling their kids.
>>
>>1630124
Did your maid write this post?
>>
>>1631802
Try going to New Delhi or Manila for a few weeks during summer, then you might appreciate your boring home country more.
>>
>>1630009
Can't imagine how sheltered you have to be to think NYC is rough, dirty or even particularly poor. Go to New Delhi, Dar Es Salaam, Bogota, Nairobi, or anywhere else that's actually in the third world.

NYC has some trash and mentally ill hobos packed between some of the richest ZIP codes in the U.S. It isn't even dangerous anymore unless you go to some East Queens project at 3am.
>>
>>1632119
>I'm not talking about the whole of Europe and more around the parts of Western Europe
If you think that Western Europeans are cold and unfriendly, wait till you visit Scandinavia, or the East as a POC.
>>
first 2 days after coming back I'm depressed as hell but after that it actually inspires me to get out of here
>>
>>1632238
I've heard that about Scandinavia, that's why I'm not planning going there any time soon and I'm white so I don't have that issue
Why are people like that? Is it the lack of sun that is turning them into assholes?
>>
>>1631913
Is there decent work anywhere outside of London? No.
>>
>>1632229
Went to Manila for a month in June. Returned to Germany and felt sad to go to such a bored place instead of the rowdy, but energetic atmosphere which was Manila/Philippines.
>>
>>1632291
What’s there to do in Manila?
>>
>>1632298
Hang out with people, get swamped with girls because you're white and exotic, drink and party randomly in the streets because no one gives a shit.

Meanwhile in Germany everything is stoic as fuck. Everyone has a resting bitch face and just want to go to work and then sit at home all day meaning the streets are empty and depressing all the time.
>>
>>1632285
I'm not really Scandinavian, but we'd like to think that we are (we're considered Eastern). Scandinavians are not assholes, at least by our standards.
It kind of shocked me when I visited the States, the constant smiling and smalltalk in the stores, pedestrian crossings etc.
We just don't do the fake smile constantly and don't make small talk with complete strangers.
Basically showing less emotion, both good and bad. Generally it's not that terrible, really, if you ask for help you will still get it. We tend to open up a bit when we drink though.
>>
>>1634164
I hear Russians and Scandinavians are iften bemused by the petty pleasantries of the US. When you grow up here it seems totally normal but if you think about it, it starts seeming weird.

It’s possible it’s a way to indicate you’re not a threat in a multi cultural society.
>>
>>1634192
It's not just the politeness in America that annoys non-Americans though, it's the unbearable sincerity. There is no cynicism, the people feel brainwashed. Americans all have this childlike awe about them that really pisses me off. Even those who criticise things do it in this weird sincere way. Like they'll hate the governnent but will still chant U S A at the drop of a hat. Not to say sincerity is inherently a bad thing, but a lot of other places, by virtue of having been through a lot of turmoil, are a lot more cynical and therefore American politeness and enthusiasm comes across as naive and childish. Not to say that too much cynicism isn't annoying in its own way.

Also, I'm aware that this depends on the part of America, but I still find it to be broadly true.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.