[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 74 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Please consider donating to help the victims of the KyoAni studio fire: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-kyoani-heal

File: booze.jpg (39 KB, 550x412)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
Your thread for:
>night markets
>transportation
>bad oil
>computer parts
>shopping
>housing
>where to go
>what to see
>whom to do
in the Free and Independent Republic of Taiwan (a representative democracy not affiliated with the People's Republic of China).
>>
File: taiwan-250518.jpg (2.36 MB, 4000x2248)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
Why is romanized spelling so inconsistent in Taiwan? In some of the places I've been, the names of locations varied quite a bit.
>>
>>1613483
Stop making so many fucking threads.
>>
>>1613514
They can’t decide if they want to use Wade-Giles, Hanyu Pinyin, or Tongyong Pinyin. Wade-Giles is random as fuck but remains in use for names, the most famous being stuff like “Peking” instead of “Beijing” or “Tao Te Ching” instead of “Dao De Jing”. Hanyu is used much more widely and is considered the standard Pinyin so it’s also used in Singapore. What’s crazy is that the guy who invented Hanyu Pinyin was born in the Qing Dynasty and he died in 2017 so he was 111 years old. Tongyong was developed in Taiwan and was promoted as being an improved version of Hanyu but it has just as many if not more problems. The benefit of Tongyong over Hanyu is that it’s easier for non-Chinese speakers to learn how pronounce words. The most accurate phonetic transcription system is bopomofo but most foreigners do not want to learn that.
>>
>>1613591
>>1613514
Yeah I saw signs in Kaohsiung and Keelung spelled how they sound, as Gaohsiung and Geelung. Can't remember gf's explanation but I think it was similar to anon's
>>
Got an odd one for y'all. Where can I buy betel nuts if I can't speak the local language? I've wanted to try them, but it looks like one of those things that aren't typically targeted to tourists.
>>
>>1613679
Do you have any friends? Or friends of friend? If not, look for 檳榔 at a cigarette shop/stand and ask for bin lang. You'll probably pay a really high price though if you look like a tourist
>>
>>1613665
The ones spelt with G at the beginning are the Hanyu Pinyin romanizations so they are more accurate but the Wade-Giles are the more common romanizations despite being clusterfucks.
>>
>>1613582
He just doesn't want to acknowledge the fucking rain. Our next two weeks, probably:

>rain
>rain
>more rain
>rain
>rain
>light rain
>drizzle
>SUNSUNSUNSUNSUN!!!!!
>rain
>rain
>rain
>typhoon and beach party day!
>rain
>rain

>>1613679
Where are you located? You can buy them absofuckinglutely everywhere, except maybe in the high-rent districts such as Xinyi in downtown Taipei.

If you can't find them anywhere near you, there are a few near Dingxi MRT station or a short bus hop from Danshui MRT station.

I think it's called "binlang" in approximate phonetics. Just look for a granny in a tiny box store who's trying to wrap little things up in leaves. The stores outside of Taipei often have bikini model photos plastered around them, and also use bright flashing LEDs to attract attention.
>>
>>1613514
I found that really endearing. My Chinese was good enough at that point that I could read the characters. My favourite was the jongs and jhongs. I guess that could be awkward if you're a newb.
>>
>>1614132
>Jiufen
>Jioufen
>Chiufeng

>Kaohsiung
>Gaoxiang

>Kenting
>Kending

>Raohe
>Laohe
>Jiao Er

These are just some of the ones I've seen.
>>
>>1614400
Lol yes. Not only were there inconsistent spellings for the exact same noise but there were inconsistent spellings for the same thing/place.
>>
>>1613591
I think I like Hanyu the most because in Tongyong “Zhou Dynasty” becomes “Joe Dynasty” but I can see how it’s easier for non-Chinese speakers.
>>
>>1614400
>completely forgetting about Taibei
>>
File: Taibei.png (420 KB, 1704x799)
420 KB
420 KB PNG
>>1614572
I've never seen "Taibei" except in Korean.

>apparently the Japanese call it "Taihoku"
>>
>>1613483
I just got a job offer for a school in Hsinchu County, particularly in Erchong. I'd be living in Hsinchu City and commuting to Erchong. Anyone have any experience with the area?
>>
File: taipei.png (289 KB, 1349x589)
289 KB
289 KB PNG
>>1614585
Russians also call it Taibei.
>>
Are there any camps or even neat temples I should go check out in Taiwan?
>>
>>1614814
>>1614585
oh fug i am going do daibei :DDDDD
>>
>>1614799
most places south of taipei will have shitty air quality and pollution from all the scooters and coal plants
>>
>>1614891
Are there smogs or anything worse too?
>>
>>1614891
Hsinchu is north of Taipei
>>
File: 20180201_183736.jpg (4.4 MB, 4032x3024)
4.4 MB
4.4 MB JPG
Go to Beitou. Soak in some hot-ass water then eat lunch at 7-11. Take the MRT back to your residence, shower off, then relax until the evening time. Go to a night market of your choosing. Maybe visit the zoo. It's a fun country but I feel like I only scratched the surface when I was there because I didn't try my hand at the dating game and didn't really know a lot of locals
>>
Is it pronounced a Taipei or Taibei
>>
>>1614899
Your face!
>>
>>1613483
Is Taiwan good for first-time solo travel?
>>
>>1615512
Depends on whether or not you speak Mandarin.

It's not bad either way, but if you want true easymode as an English speaker, just go to Britain or Canada or the USA.
>>
>>1615873
>Depends on whether or not you speak Mandarin.
This. English pretty much only exists in Taipei. Outside of Taipei, it was pretty difficult to navigate. Even New Taipei City, which is a stone's throw from Taipei proper, speaks significantly less English. In Kaohsiung, I only ever saw and heard English at the train stations and night markets.
>>
Anyone dealt with bringing a girlfriend from a non-visa-waiver country to Taiwan? My girlfriend is from Ukraine and they require visas and can only get 15-day visas. How can I bring her over long-term? I already have an APRC for myself and am running a business, but I don't want to marry her until we've lived together for a while just to be sure.
>>
If I've been to Taiwan will I still be able to visit China? I mean they don't stamp passports anymore but would the Chinese immigration at the airport know that I'd been and turn me away?
>>
>>1616530
Unless something changed *very* recently, Taiwan does still stamp passports. And even then, it wouldn't/shouldn't be a problem. Many visitors to Taiwan, and even Taiwanese themselves, visit Mainland China all the time.

Hell, there are many (Mainland Chinese) airlines that fly between China and Taiwan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taoyuan_International_Airport#Passenger
>>
>>1616545
What a weird situation. China threatening to invade if they say they're not China yet they act like they're part of China in many ways.
>>
>>1615512
making it my 2nd solo trip should be sick
>>
>>1613483
Yeah, Taiwan has nothing to do with the People's Republic of China (PRC), but it's still part of the Republic of China (ROC). There's no such thing as the "Republic of Taiwan", even with the Taiwan separatist party controlling all branches of government they've done jack shit about declaring independence.
>>
>>1617830
It should be the Republic of Formosa and all the chinks should get deported so only Austronesians are left
>>
>>1617830
>they've done jack shit about declaring independence.
I don't blame them. Most of the world doesn't officially recognize them (or are afraid to), and they even have very strong economic ties to their oppressor.
>>
>>1617830
>>1618280
Because China said that they'd nuke Taiwan if Taiwan formally declared independence, and the U.S. told Taiwan that they wouldn't do shit about it if Taiwan pulled that.

It's entirely the KMT's fault. The U.N. was willing to recognize Taiwan as a separate country, but the KMT said "fuck no, either you pretend we're still the legit government of China or we're walking out!" And the U.N. said "'k, bye."
>>
>>1616526
Anyone got any ideas?
>>
>>1614036
>that much rain
Sounds like Taiwan is my kind of place.
>>
>>1618346
Maoists pls leave
>>
>>1614585
The correct japanese reading is Taipei but it used to be Taihoku yeah. Also a JP speaker unfamiliar with the city might read it as Taihoku yeah
>>
Does anyone here have some experience with getting prepaid SIMs in Taiwan? Any recommendations?

7/11 IBON mobile prepaid SIM seems pretty good(no link since 4chan thinks it's spam for some reason), but apparently they require 2 IDs when getting one.

For the secondary ID, can you use your foreign identity card or driver's license or does that have to be one issued by Taiwan? They also mention a guarantor, does that mean you need some Taiwanese resident with you to guarantee for you?
>>
>>1613591
>the most famous being stuff like “Peking” instead of “Beijing”
Everything else you said is right, but this one actually comes from a much older French method of romanization from before anything like Wade-Giles was even invented. It also might not even have been trying to romanize the same dialect.
>>
is it a good idea to visit in july or will i die in a typhoon or something?
>>
>>1620348
You're more likely to die from heat stroke than anything. I went there in October, and it was hotter than my most recent impression of India.
>>
Planning to visit Taiwan in September.
Recently got my motorbike licence and I want to ride the east coast from Taipei to the south.
Does anyone here had a similar experience ?
>>
>>1613665
>>1613705
>>1613715
>>1614132
>>1614400
>>1613591

really cool to see other anons who can speak and read Chinese.
>>
>>1620902
Yeah but they died! true story!
>>
Wat do in Kaoshiung?
>>
>>1615512
Yes I did it for 4 weeks

>>1615892 exaggerates a little bit, I dont speak Mandarin except the basics words for hello/you're welcome/my nationality and everything went well from Taipei to Kenting.
It was a little more difficult on the island of Penghu but still okay.
Anyway, Taiwanese take their cell phones and use google trad if they have troubles to understand you. There is also body language
>>
>>1620978
Fo Guang Shan Monastery
Tiger & Dragon Pagodas
E-da World
>>
>>1620978
>ferry to Cijin island. Rent a bike and go around, climb up to lighthouse for a good view. Eat cheap seafood on the main stretch.
>kaohsiung 85 observatory. Place looks like it's stuck in a time warp - cheesy music, old carpets, weird mascots and some exhibition about millet grain with a hello kitty cutout, and oddly deserted most of the time. Great view, especially if you come at sunset.
>kaohsiung public library. pretty neat.
>love river. pretty neat too, lots of plants and i think parts of it light up at evening time.
>pier 2 art centre. cool artsy shops, a bunch of semi-hidden qwerky public artworks in the area. also a superb pineapple cake shop called Sunny Hills where you can try their cake with some tea.
>>
>>1620329
Correct. It’s the French romanization of Nanjing Mandarin which greatly differs from Beijing Mandarin (which serves as the basis for Standard Mandarin). I thought the French would have gotten it from a Southern China language like Hakka since it has that kjaeng sound but I suppose Nanjing Mandarin is just that weird.
>>
>>1621995
In Japanese they say it Pekin, which is close to the french prononciation but with a slightly higher pitch.
I wonder if the japanese influenced the french in some way.
>>
>>1622229
No correlation. The Japanese name is derived from Middle Chinese and the Nanjingese pronunciation is closer to the Middle Chinese form because it keeps the ‘kjaeng’ sound that the French also ended up using. If they had been romanising Northern forms of Mandarin then they would have heard the ‘jing’ sound instead. During that period, Europe exerted way more influence on Japan than the other way around. Japan would only become relevant much later on.
>>
Going to Taipei for 5 days in early September. What are some must do/see things for someone who likes to explore, hike, and just wander around?
>>
i've been teaching AP physics in PRC for two years now (winged my way in with engineering degree + celta), would it be possible for me to move to taiwan and continue doing this or would i have to go and get a proper teaching licence?
>>
File: 1tn2xe.jpg (58 KB, 379x531)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>1623936
I tried to get into international schools last year, they all wanted a teaching cert. Master's in CS, I can teach in universities but not AP CS in high school, go figure.
>>
Hey fellow /trv/ers! Hoping some of you guys can help me out!

My wife and I are going to Taiwan for a wedding July 9th to July 15th. The wedding is on the 13th and it is in Kaohsiung so I have booked a hotel in Kaohsiung for a couple nights but other than that my schedule is pretty open.

We are flying into Taipai on the 9th and I am planning on renting a car. I have a US driver's license and insurance, will that be sufficient to rent a car there? We might spend a day in Taipai but I really want to drive along the east coast and I want to spend a lot of time in the national park.

Anything I can't miss while I am in Taiwan? Any tips for getting into Taiwanese nature on the east coast or the best / most unique places to stay on the route from Taipai to Kaohsiung along the east coast??

Thanks guys!!!!
>>
>>1613591
Tsingtao
>>
>>1625056
>We are flying into Taipai on the 9th and I am planning on renting a car. I have a US driver's license and insurance, will that be sufficient to rent a car there?
You are absolutely required to have an international driver's permit (IDP) in addition to your license.

In the U.S., you get it from AAA. Yes, that means you have to join it.

It's basically nothing more than a notarized translation of your license, but they're the ONLY ones who are approved to do it.

Fuck the antispam system, useless garbage.

www dot ait dot org dot tw slash u-s-citizen-services slash local-resources-of-u-s-citizens slash driving-in-taiwan slash
>>
File: trudeau_snub-999741.gif (2.03 MB, 512x288)
2.03 MB
2.03 MB GIF
>>1625056
BTW, if you're not used to third world traffic, Taiwan's qualifies. Assholes run red lights, lanes are just suggestions, and scooters will swarm around you like locusts.

ALWAYS wait a few extra seconds after a light turns green before you start moving. If you don't, you WILL get T-boned. And at night, don't expect them to stop, period. I've nearly gotten killed by some fucktard in a BMW who thought he was too important to have to stop for a mere pedestrian just because it was a red light.
>>
I will be in Taiwan with my wife during mid autumn festival. Any suggestions on what to do? I live here and she is moving over here the week before. I know some Chinese and have lived in China before but this is her first time in east Asia so I want to show her something Asian and cool.
>>
this is wow wonderful picture. good.
>>
>>1613483
>kinmen
>taiwan
>>
>>1625466
You're not wrong. Kinmenese people get offended if you call them Taiwanese.
>>
I'm pretty close to buying a plane ticket to Taiwan for 3 weeks in November. Is there enough stuff to do for three weeks? I haven't done any research yet but I know of Taipei, Taroko Gorge and Sun Moon Lake. I also heard that the food is generally good and the country easy to travel through.
>>
>>1625463
>lived in China
>currently live in China Lite
>"what to do?"
Bruh.
>>
>>1625503
I wonder how many countries the world would have if regional locals had it their way.

>Kinmen
>Kashmir
>Artsakh
>Abkhazia
>etc.
>>
>>1625685
I am Kinmenese and Kinmen literally isn’t a part of Taiwan - not geographically or legally. The Kinmen-Matsu Joint Services Center was even established in 2017 to focus better on our needs. Kinmenese and Matsunese are staunch KMT loyalists and sometimes seen as the truest representations of the Republic of China. There has been migration from Taiwan in recent years in an attempt to assimilate us or alter our elections by voting for DPP.
>>
>>1625685
Kashmir would just join Pakistan.
>>
>>1625847
Why do you support a party that wants to "reunify" with China just so that they can become the sole CCP-approved political party?

Are you all just a bunch of communists really?
>>
>>1625885
Are all you Taiwankers this misinformed? We want to reunify with China but we don’t support communism. The KMT are the rightful government of China even if Chiang was a clown - Sun was right. The CCP is an illegal party and the DPP are Taiwanese Hoklo supremacists who are too busy calling Aboriginals slurs. We suffered under Japanese brutality for close to a decade and literally fought and died against the communists on Kinmen to protect the KMT who were stationed on Taiwan. We are not Taiwanese, our identity predates it close to two thousand years. And Matsu has even less of a reason to support Taiwanese independence.
>>
>>1625899
All our problems would be solved if we got rid of the Taiwanese H*klo

t. Hakka
>>
>>1625900
Kek, are you that Singaporean from /his/?
>>
>>1625885
No, the Kinmenese are Chinese nationalists like a continuation of the ROC era. They have quite a large diaspora across SEA and I have also seen them in Chinatowns in the West trying to eradicate CCP influence by spreading pro-ROC support. Many historical Chinese associations were supportive of the ROC but have been shifting to the CCP in recent decades due to the Taiwan being more concerned with its own internal matters rather than reaching out for overseas Chinese support like they used to. Sun Yat-sen got huge amounts of his funding to overthrow the Qing Dynasty from Chinese-American communities who were predominantly Taishanese at the time. The only other major anti-CCP group in the West is the Falun Gong which fucking sucks because the FG are legitimately crazy.

>>1625904
LMAO I know who you are taking about but I am not him. I am a Taiwanese Hakka.
>>
>>1625899
>We want to reunify with China but we don’t support communism.
So why do you support a formerly Leninist party like the KMT?

>The KMT are the rightful government of China
>Chiang was a clown
Pick one. Chiang WAS the KMT for all practical purposes.

>>1625899
>Sun was right.
So you DO like communists, then. Because, guess what, until Sun died, everyone was one big happy backstabbing family with the communists, a giant "big tent".

>We suffered under Japanese brutality for close to a decade and literally fought and died against the communists on Kinmen to protect the KMT who were stationed on Taiwan.
You poor sad sorry fools. And now you're doubling down and sucking up to China instead of just going your own way and being something better and more successful.

Come up with any scenario where the KMT is welcomed back into China as the "legitimate government", considering what a clownshow their entire history was -- a less-fanatical faction of communists until Mao threw them out, then hardline fascist dictators murdering anyone who said anything bad about them until every important country on the planet said "fuck this, those guys are retards" and recognized Mao's CCP as the legitimate government of China. Then finally they gave up dictatorial control and Taiwan's economy suddenly bloomed.

You honestly have to have major mental problems to be able to support the KMT. "Stockholm Syndrome", codependency issues, spank me harder daddy, whatever you want to call it. Admit it, you just LIKE being abused.
>>
>>1625957
>going your own way and being something better and more successful.
They can’t. They will get dominated by swarms of Taiwanese Han. Same reason why Aboriginals don’t care about cross-strait relations because either way they get ruled by nasty chinks.
>>
Actually it’s funny to see how divided Chinese people are on the KMT when 4chan sucks their cock all the damn time. Muh “Taiwan is the real China” meme cracks me up when Taiwan should belong to Austronesian people. Fuck chinks.
>>
>>1625957
>"Stockholm Syndrome", codependency issues, spank me harder daddy, whatever you want to call it. Admit it, you just LIKE being abused.
Kinda like how Taiwan is about Japan then lmao
>>
>>1625994
>>1625996
>>1625998
Ah, it’s the Malaysian anon.
>>
>>1626001
I thought it was one of the South Korean who always calls us “island chinks” lmao. Have you seen the /korea/ threads on this board? They’re a hoot, my favorite is the one who pretends to be a white girl to shill Korean men.
>>
>>1626004
They are all dumb but the Kinmen anon is based. Kinmen and Matsu are the real China.
>>
>>1613483
>Taipei: Tonghua Night Market. Best night market! Near 101.
>Miramar Mall & rooftop music in the evening
>Maokong Gondola (Taipei Zoo)
>Yangmin Shan (take bus from Main Stn) & return from Yangmin Shan Visitor Centre Car Park to Miramar / Jiannan Road Station with bus# 681
>Taichung: Shin-Kong Mitsukoshi Department Store & the new Xitun District. Got a beautiful park.
>Kaohsiung: Rueifong Night Market nr. Kaohsiung Arena
>Dollars Mall (for excellent Lonris shirts)
>Dream Mall
>Gushan District (Love River)
>Central Park & Talee Isetan
>Cijin Island (can take bus# 35 Red for a round trip)
>E-DA Outlet Mall: Not sure. Can have huge queues, waiting for the shuttle. Not really much to see.
>>
>>1613591

If you aren't a retard it's easy to learn how to pronounce Hanyu pinyin, even my 59 year old normie linguistically challenged mother could do it.
>>
>>1626608
So many non-Chinese struggled with Hanyu the Taiwanese government made Tongyong but Hanyu is not helpful to native Chinese speakers.
>>
>>1626628
I meant
*Tongyong is not helpful to native Chinese speakers.
Hanyu is better for actual Chinese speakers
>>
thinking about moving to taiwan to do a phd in chem at taiwan tech. is this a bad idea if they gave me a full scholarship? (would cover fees, foods, rent). I'm scared to make such a big change but that place was so cool when I visited.
>>
File: 7c6.png (11 KB, 211x246)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>1626648
>full scholarship
>would cover fees, foods, rent
>bad idea
>>
>>1626684
Well, it kind of depends on what he wants to do after finishing his degree.

>>1626648
Taiwanese universities aren't very highly regarded internationally. If you're looking to move to Europe or the USA and get a professorship, some guy who went to MIT will have a major advantage over you. If you're planning to work in Taiwan, or your interests are in good alignment with the industrial job market nowadays, then it's a good opportunity. Worst case, you could probably get in at one of the local patent firms. There isn't a huge amount of chemical practice here, but you'd get enough editing work to make a good income.

Check the terms of the scholarship carefully. Also be careful about any outside work, e.g., consulting. I know undergrad students only get very limited work permits and only if they need the money to survive.
>>
>>1626740
It's a PhD in Chemistry. That's pretty fucking cool. Even if he doesn't end up pursuing a career in science, and even if a Taiwanese PhD is worth nothing in the west, he's still getting a full scholarship that covers food & rent. At the very least, he can fuck around on someone else's dime for a few years.
>>
>>1626744
>>1626740
>>1626684
thanks anons. Yea I watch a lot of ryan boundless and i dunno.. it probably sounds gay or whatever but I really need "out" of my life and my career is in chem/chem eng and taiwan has a strong semiconductor scene and I'd be studying in that field. Always wanted to learn a second language and love warm weather... thx for the push.
>>
>>1626885
Taiwanese Mandarin, compared to regular Mandarin, is easier to speak, but harder to write.
>>
>>1627062
There is no such thing as “regular Mandarin”. Taiwan speaks Standard Chinese which derives from the Beijing dialect and some other Northern Chinese languages but with a Hokkien accent - in the south they speak with a much heavier Hokkien accent.
>>
>>1627064
Hearing Mandarin in a Taiwanese/Hokkien accent just sounds lazier somehow; it almost sounds like a white person trying to speak Mandarin. I've even seen other anons describe it as sounding "gayer." That's why I'm saying anon might find it easier. I'm using the Mandarin spoken in Mainland China as a guideline (ie. assuming that's the "regular" accent).
>>
>>1627065
Mandarin is actually a language group known as Guan and not a single language. The Guan spoken in Beijing is mutually unintelligible with the native Guan spoken in Anhui, Sichuan, and Shaanxi. In fact, Shaanxi’s form of Guan is so divergent that some linguists consider it to not be a variety of Guan at all but from a totally different language group known as Jin. The Taiwanese accent is somewhat effeminate because of the misuse of retroflex and addition of mood particles. It doesn’t sound like white people trying to speak Chinese to me but like a type of valley girl speech.
>>
>>1627065
There isn’t one type of Mandarin or one type of accent though. I guess upper-class Beijing accent or news anchor speech would be the most “prestigious” form like RP in Britain.
>>
I keep hearing that nip women are kind of fugly for the most part and sleep around more than any other Asians. Are Taiwanese girls any better?
>>
>>1628417
Taiwanese women won't cheat around as much but they're even uglier. I actually think Kazakhstan has the hottest women in Asia.
>>
>>1628417
Been on Singaporean threads before and they all think Han Taiwanese and Chinese-Singaporean girls aren't that attractive but for some reason they rave over Chinese-Malaysians. Aren't they all the same shit lmao?
>>
>>1628420
I think Taiwanese have better bodies than nips (for the most part) but worse faces.
>>
>>1628417
You can find hot girls among a sea of uglies like in any country. If you want to see a higher ratio of hotties to uglies then skip Asia entirely and go to Latin American countries like Venezuela.
>>
>>1628421
When I spent time in HK most of the young guys were saying that Taiwanese women were the most attractive, complained about mainlanders and were meh on HK women. Honestly I didn't notice much difference in either country and didn't actually pay much attention to the women there. Maybe I was paying more attention to the scenery but normally I feel like I notice the qts.
>>
>>1628429
>go to Latin American countries like Venezuela
Patrician taste. Latinas are the best.
>>
>>1628421
Chinese-Malaysians girls are hotter than Taiwanese girls in my opinion. They are more open-minded, multilingual, fitter and also have bigger tits. I don't care for Singaporean girls at all.
>>
>>1628499
They also have nicer ass and don't act like braindead autists when trying to act cutesy like some Taiwanese girls do, they are just normal and sweet.
>>
>>1629032
>Needless to say I am staunch nationalist and viewing nationalist things is high on the agenda.

What do you mean by this? You support the KMT?
>>
>>1629041
Most of 4chan does, honey.
>>
>>1628517
>>1628499
SEA girls tend to have kino asses. I reckon it's the jungle blood, Malays in particular.
>>
>>1629041
It means TAIWAN NUMBAH ONE
>>
>>1629054
4chan is like 70% kids on /b/, I'm guessing the majority of 4chan doesn't even know what the KMT is.
>>
>>1629077
All SEA are part Negrito and they were short with giant asses.
>>
>>1626608
>>1626628
>>1626632
People can tell when you learned from pinyin because of what mistakes you make. The problem with pinyin is that it is presented as consistent, when it really is not. You eventually end up memorizing the sound of each syllable (there aren't that many), then learn pinyin or characters. There is no other way. I think that most native speakers cannot hear anything smaller than the syllables anyway, which is why the so desperately stick to characters.
>>
For someone who'se spent a lot of time in Korea, Japan, and Vietnam, but had never been to China, is Taiwan different/interesting enough to be worth a week or two?
>>
>>1630673
Taiwan is more interesting than Korea & Japan.
>>
>>1630826
>taiwan is more interesting than japan
lmao
>>
>>1613483
176 cm here,
Im a manlet here in the Netherlands but are taiwanese men short enough that i can finally live my dream of towering over people there or is that too much to ask at 5’9?
Am /fit/ if that helps
>>
>>1631375
Being fit doesn't stop you from being short
>>
>>1631375
Southern Chinese on average are short but I doubt they would find 176 cm “impressive” from a white person and you would be a few centimetres taller than most instead of towering over them.
>>
>>1631375
I'm 180cm and even I got outclassed by the locals.
>>
>>1631375
Being in Taiwan is like living in Hobbitville. It's sheer hell on the knees because every time you sit down on the local furniture, you have to stand up from basically a squatting position.
>>
Going to be in Taiwan for 5 days. Landing in Taipei with my girlfriend, we are both interested in trying out local cuisine. We also want to check out the nature. Anyone have reccomendations? Is 5 days enough in Taipei or should we visit another city?
>>
File: 1xadx3z4st121.png (402 KB, 960x807)
402 KB
402 KB PNG
>>1631375
You will be taller but not by a huge amount.
>>
>>1631710
Not surprising, Shandong province has always had the tallest people in all of Eastern Asia for whatever reason.
>>
>>1631710
Japan truly is the land of midgets.
>>
>>1631714
>shandong in dark blue
>northeast china which is 90% shandongnese also dark blue

SHANDONG STRONK
>>
>>1631710
Imagine being a man from SEA.
>>
>>1631722
This is why they become women.
>>
File: sopranoshorse.png (1.01 MB, 1280x720)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
I'm going to Taiwan from August 1st to 7th. We're gonna spend a few days in Taipei then the rest either scootering or hitchiking around the island. Do you think 300 USD should be fine for the week provided we stay in hostels and mostly eat night market/convenience store food.
>>
>>1631741
I've never heard of anyone hitchhiking here.

You need a valid IDP with a motorcycle endorsement to rent a scooter. No, they won't ignore the requirements just because you're a tourist. Without an IDP, in Kenting they'll rent you an electric scooter to go up and down the beach road, that's about the only place I've seen those available.

I don't think $300 would even cover your hostel beds, much less food for two. Taiwan's hotel/motel/hostel sector is ridonkulously overpriced. Even a shitty out of the way hotel-no-s charges $60/night. A quick search on Google for hostel prices shows they're $30 to $40 per night in Taipei, maybe you can find one for $25 elsewhere.

You can get by on $10/day for food if you eat night market garbage. That's $140 by itself.
>>
>>1631760

Its been a while since I've been there - 2016 - but when I went we hitch hiked around the island, everyone was super friendly and we never had a long wait for cars. I also rented scooters on the East Coast with only an expired Canadian license. Rented them in Kenting and Hualien.

Hostel world is coming up with a bunch in Taipei for 14 bucks a night.

I guess it seems dumb to ask questions if it seems like I "know my shit" (don't mean that in a condescending way) but maybe I just slummed it super hard when I went or have things changed in the last three years?

I'm just replying to your comment becomes its near antithetical to my experience but again, its been a while so maybe shit has changed
>>
>>1631710
>northeastern China is the tallest
Do they have Russians living there or something?
>>
File: 1323403782886.png (325 KB, 1800x1800)
325 KB
325 KB PNG
>>1631724
>>1631722
SEA is fascinating. They somehow come up with some of the most intense martial arts, and yet they also have some of the most girly-looking men.
>>
>>1632057
Shandong is the tallest province in China and the vast majority of Northeast China is populated by Han Chinese from Shandong province. There are very few Russians in NE China - far more live in Xinjiang and Inner Mongolia.
>>
>>1632062
>pure-blooded Asians are taller than slavs, who already have a reputation of being tall
based
>>
File: 1280219.png (143 KB, 640x614)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>1632062
True, the Shandongnese have always been pretty tall. Archaeological evidence even indicates Confucius was close to 1.80 m despite being a complete poorfag living in war-torn China thousands of years ago.
>>
>>1631717
Seriously, the Japanese are on the same latitude as Korea with a narrow stretch of sea in between but they're so much shorter. Just travelling between Japan and Korea and you notice the height difference immediately. Japan is richer than Korea and has been richer than Korea for a long time so it's definitely not lack of nutrition (North Korea has that excuse). The Japanese have the height equivalent to the short Southeastern Chinese like Taiwanese or Cantonese people (and they have SEA blood so I can understand their shortness).
>>
>>1632059
It's called a Napoleon complex.
>>
>>1632073
>Japan invading Korea was just them going on a manlet rampage
>>
File: lexie-alford-Venezuela.jpg (197 KB, 1862x1048)
197 KB
197 KB JPG
>>1631766
How did you find people to hitchhike with? Do you speak fluent Mandarin or Taiwanese? Are you >>1631741 ?
>>
>>1631766
Also, even assuming you're right about the hostel cost, that's $168 for two people for six nights, and food is $140 for two people for seven days. Which is $310. Which is already over >>1631741 's budget. Which doesn't include renting a scooter, paying for gas to the driver you hitchhiked with (I guess someone can suck off the driver), or anything else. Good luck getting someone at the airport to drive you into town for free, but it's only $6 for a bus or $5 for the MRT (oops, not in budget, find someone to suck off and remember to do the currency conversion, US$5 is NT$155, you'd have to give a lot of NT$5 blowjobs to get the US$5 (NT$160) MRT fare between Taoyuan airport and Taipei Main Station).

Transportation is cheap on the trains and buses (IIRC $6 from Taipei to Hualien on the express train, each way per person), so it's not like they're completely fucked, but either they bring more money or they're gonna be skipping meals.
>>
>>1632057
>northeastern China is the tallest
Nope, it's actually Shandong.
>>
>>1632139
Shandong is taller but it's not a huge difference since most people living in the Northeast are Han from Shandong who migrated there during the Chuang Guandong
period (the other primary population being from Hebei). There also Tungusic, Mongolic and Korean minorities who are shorter than the Shandongese but they definitely aren't short based on overall Asian standards - just look at the massive difference between NEA and SEA populations (ignore Japan, it is a midget outlier).
>>
>>1632106

Yeah I'm that poster. My friend spoke a bit of Mandarin. We knew the general direction we were heading so a bit of gesturing and rough Mandarin did the trick. We also maybe lucked out in that 8/10 cars spoke decent English
>>
>>1632114

I totally just realized I didn't communicate very clearly. That's 300 dollars for JUST ME. My friends have their own, higher budget. Thoughts now?
>>
>>1632308
US$300 for one person is enough. You won't be getting bottle service at the hot clubs for that tho. Just eating, sleeping, basic transportation, and staring at scenery.
>>
Does anyone know where the Vietnamese or Thai restaurants are in Taoyuan? I have to go to the airport this weekend and wanted to hang out in one of their restaurant/club things. Which day would be better, Saturday or Sunday?
>>
>>1628421
i got into contact with a chinese malaysian studying in Germany via Tantan.
She is insanely hot, looks way better than all vietnamese, indonesian or thai girls you can find on tinder and tantan.
If only she made the choice to study in my town instead of being 200km away...
>>
>>1632401
Don't touch Chinese Malaysian girls. They are the biggest gold diggers out there.
>>
>>1632406
kek, she studies business administration
>>
>>1632406
Those would be Hongkies. I’ve never heard anybody ever say anything positive about HK girls, actually.
>>
>>1623596
asking again since the thread is alive again.
>>
How do I get tickets for the mid autumn festival thing in Pingxi?

How do I find some sex in 3 days when my gf leaves? I am not here for English teaching.
>>
How long is worth spending in Taitung? I get the impression that most of the good stuff is either further south in Kenting, or further north along the coastline.
>>
>>1633312
Fuck off cheating scum
>>
>>1632406
>gold diggers
So like all women then?
>>
Are there any sensible ways of getting from Taroko Gorge to Datong, through the mountains? Is the only way to do it a pretty expensive private hire driver?
>>
>>1633317
It was chill, but I wouldn't spend more than a day there, maybe a few more nights if you use it as a base.
You don't even have to go too much further up North, like 10 km's up North already is beautiful.
>>
>>1634400
I vaguely remember the free electric buses in the Taroko Gorge... They must take you about third of the way towards Datong. At least down to a spot where you can take another (paid) bus to Datong.
Those shuttle buses were amazing. 'Unfortunately' they always already appeared by the time I was ready to take a photo of the timetable.
>>
>>1634457
>They must take you about third of the way towards Datong
So towards Lishan? I'm having some trouble working out what the buses and trains will be like in Taiwan because google maps doesn't have everything (like the new? tunnel between Kaohsiung and Taitung), and the official bus websites are bad or do not exist (like chiayi).
>>
>>1632401
malaysian chinese are top shelf
>>
>>1632401
>insanely hot
Malaysian Chinese women are the best.
>>
I bought tickets to Taiwan with Air China

I have a layover in Beijing and Shanghai on my way back

Do I need any kind of visa (europoor)?
>>
>>1633312
Go to the American Club in Taipei. There, You'll feel at home. All mainland hookers.
>Forget Taiwan girls. They are not into sexpats or whatever. Too classy.
>>
>>1633333
>>1626604
Here some info
>>
>>1636125
Depends how long your layover is. Off the top of my head, if you're an EU passport and your layover is less than 2-4.5 days (I think it varies depending on the airport) you can even leave the airport and explore the city. Do your research though, this isn't something you should rely on a message board for.
>>
How easy is it to forward luggage in taiwan on my own (not just throwing it at hotel staff)?

And is it possible to store a case in a station locker for a long period? I will probably want to keep a suitcase in taipei for about 2 weeks as I go across the rest of the island.
>>
Top of Starbucks or top of Taipei 101?

Will there be lanterns in Pingxhi during the mid autumn festival? Do I even need a special ticket?
How do I get tickets for the Pingxi Lanternf festivasl I'l be there for the mid autumn festival?
Is it actually worth visiting Kaohsiung? Got 5 days left when my GF goes so it's a big time committment and I can't figure out anything besides Kenting I
want to do? Does Hualin blow Kaosiung away?
Is the Cihu Mausoleum worth going to it's kinda out of the way?
Is there anything nature based to do near Cihu?
Nat
Kenting national park or Hualin....?
Has anyone been on the Alishan Forest Railway? Was it worth it? I'd need to dedicate a day to this
>>
Is a day trip to Kaohshung from Tanain enough. I mean desu Kaoshung seems kinda shit from what i am seeing on the internet. See the Lotus Pond ---> Leave
>>
>>1636155
Nah, I fucked loads of Taiwan girls since they like white guys. All Asian women are easy except for Koreans and Muslims. Mongols too are easy but the problem is Mongol men are batshit.
>>
>>1636371
Not surprised since they like Western shit and I knew so many of them who had white worship because they wanted to have cute mixed white babies they can treat as their accessories. No wonder so many hapas have mental illness.
>>
>>1636155
>Forget Taiwan girls. They are not into sexpats or whatever. Too classy.
LMAO are you on crack?
If anon is white and confident then Taiwanese women will flock to his cock. The problem is he is cheating scum.
>>
>>1636371
Any tips, I'll have 3 days in Kaohshung and one night in Taipei after my girlfriend leaves.
>>
>>1636155
>taiwan girls
>classy
They literally strip at funerals.

>>1637107
Same way you pick up girls anywhere. Go check up some PUA forums or something.
>>
>>1637107
Taiwan has one of the highest rates in the world of men buying sex so if you're really that desperate you can find hookers easily.
>>
>>1637248
He wouldn't have to though. Taiwanese men are not going to cockblock you and Taiwanese women are really easy. I agree with this comparison it makes to Korea:
https://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-29228.html
Taiwanese women are not as attractive but they're way more open and less conservative. You don't need to be handsome to pick up women in Taiwan when compared to Korea where the standards are higher.
>>
>>1637254
Taiwanese girls are easy but some people on this board are so pathetic they can't even get pussy in the Philippines.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.