[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 32 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Going to be studying Spanish for 3 months in Medellin, in Laurales.

How many days is necessary for Bogotá and Cali? Is 8 enough between the two, or should I only go to Bogotá and then save Cali for the end of my program?

Any other recommendations for the 3 cities are graciously accepted. Also, anything else. I’ve already been to Cartagena.
>>
Don't go to Cali.
>>
>>1612430
Care to elaborate?
>>
>>1612321
Spanish is literally the easiest in use language for an English speaker to learn. Don't stress and don't drink too much and you'll be conversational
>>
All right folks, I wanna hear thr truth from /trv/: is Colombia dangerous? I feel it's a pretty cool place but I always feel that south America is pretty dangerous. Is it so?
Also how are hookers there? A lot of people on /trv/ say that Thailand and Colombia are the most popular sexpat destination. How much for a couple of shots? In Thailand is like 80$, is Colombia cheap too?
>>
>>1612460
pretty sure that's dutch
>>
>>1612688

German with the demonic throat sounds? Nigga please...
>>
>>1612644
$60 for two shots from FB girls
>>
>>1612459
It's called Calistan for a reason. Murder rate is quite high, not worth it.

>>1612460
Being barely understood, sure, actually speaking the language fluently though? You will misgender fucking everything and not know how to conjugate most verbs that aren't "comer" or "culear".

Is Spanish really the easiest language for native English speakers to learn? That's gotta be a bitch to know because I am a native Spanish speaker and I can't imagine having to learn all that conjugation bullshit.
>>
>>1612930
How to hook up with FB gyals?
>>
>>1612688
Its Afrikaans actually. Like Dutch, spoken by people of little interest.
>>
>>1612986
not telling it here. you autists will force these girls out of FB by your constant pestering.

If any of you is actually travelling to Colombia
contact this guy for Bogota Santa Fe tour.
https://colombia.craigslist.org/trv/d/tour-guide-bogota-travel-assistance/6889581460.html?lang=ko
>>
Thinking about doing Colombia too. Figure Medellin, Bogota, Caratagena, and maybe Barranquilla for Carnival. What else? I could do a month there. How dangerous is it for solo yravel? Im a tall white Ameriburger male that cant really speak Spanish though I can sonetimes underzrand signs. The most exotic place Ive been to is SE Asia. I heard the Pacific coast and Cali along with the Venezuelan border are no go areas.
>>
>>1613066
>not telling it here.
That's the point of /trv/, discuss and know more about travels at 360°, don't act like a snob cunt just because you know one thing more than us.
>contact this guy for Bogota Santa Fe tour.
>https://colombia.craigslist.org/trv/d/tour-guide-bogota-travel-assistance/6889581460.html?lang=ko
Who the fuck cares about you/your friend tour guiding people.
>>
>>1613152
>>1612430

Colombia is fine for solo travel. This is my third time here. Outside the major cities and some restive, rural regions, safety isn't much of a concern. Even in urban areas, your biggest risk is getting mugged by a junkie--not shot, kidnapped for ransom or taken on a late-night ATM tour.

Use common sense. If you go out drinking, book an Uber or take a taxi--don't walk through empty streets or take short-cuts through alleyways.

IME, best travel advice is just to remember that you're vacationing in a country full of people who aren't. Just because it's your party or special trip doesn't mean that things can't go wrong when you choose to be irresponsible, overly-trusting or naive.

>>1612430
I've met plenty of foreigners who go to Cali. Again, there's always the risk of being mugged--but the homicide rate isn't something that should affect tourists who aren't involved in the drug trade or seeking to be involved in the drug trade.

>>1612644
>m-muh hookers

Pathetic
>>
>>1613066
>touring Santa Fe without a local
nigger what are you doing
>>
>>1613282
nigger he is as good as local. And unless you look skinny beta bitch pasty white boy, Santa Fe is not that dangerous.
>>
>>1613296
I am a brown local and I wouldn't go alone to Santa Fe, wtf man
I guess travelers are oblivious to the dangers and enjoy some sort of psychological immunity to that because when we want to go there we always gang up. Just because nothing happened to you doesn't mean nothing ever happens to anyone.
>>
>>1613152

If you're traveling solo just try and pick up some basics before you leave and you'll have plenty of opportunity to work on it when you're there. If you don't just spend time with other backpackers you'll learn more along the way.

Cali is fine. Worth a day or two in my experience.

The Pacific Coast is one of the most beautiful places in the country. The only safety concern on the coast realistically is Buenaventura but you'd only be passing through in broad daylight to get a boat up to Juanchaco and Ladrilleros anyway. Alternatively book a flight from Medellin to Bahia Solano or Nuqui.

Can't think of much on the VZ border that would be of interest for first time visitor other than the La Guajira region but there's plenty of other coastal options on the Caribbean. That said, I'm pretty sure unless you're trying to cross the border you won't run into issues up there.

What else are you into? Happy to make other recommendations.
>>
>>1612459
unlike what the other anon said, it isn't that dangerous, at least not the entire city. it's kinda boring though, go there for a few days for the food, or longer if you like dancing and make sure to take lessons and practice a lot.
>>
I’m an Auscunt that went through Colombia for a month.
The girls honestly fucked me like I’ve never been fucked before!
I have a theory about it.
Unlike Seppos who eat dinner plate size burgers, Colombians eat small proportional arapas which are super tasty and allow them to stay thin and have actual waistlines. Plus all the dancing teaches them how to use their body.
Colombian Girls >>> Asian girls >>> abos >>> pig disgusting fat opinionated brainwashed American girls who unknowingly carry chlamydia

Colombian girls are the best things on earth
>>
colombian fag here. Just go to Medellin or maaaaaaaayyyybe Bogota. Althought is a cold city and it's people suck. like ever capital of the world, their people might be act like cunts

Cali is a hellhole, don't go there, also boring city

althought is not in your schedule

Go to san andres or santa marta. Nice place with beautifull beaches

and again, medellin has everything a tourist want. Cheap nightlife, food and rent.
>>
>>1613741
>San Andres
>>
>>1613741
>>
>>1613750
Cali (Colombia) in an image
>>
OP here, thanks for the help. Right now I’m thinking that I will either do Cali right either after Bogotá (which i have to go to no matter what for work) or the following long weekend for 3. Probably not enough time to get to the pacific coast.

I have 10 days between my classes and my flight out, so I might head up to Santa Marta as >>1613741 suggested cuz another friend suggested Parque Tayrona and hiking to la ciudad perdida.

Could also go to the pacific coast as >>1613433 suggested in that time, but we will see how I feel. I’m into food and culture, and nature as long as it’s accessible without a car (tough order, I know).

>>1613686
Is the food really that much better in Cali? I know the salsa scene is pretty popping but I wouldn’t stay for dancing unless I went at the end of my trip, after classes. Any food-based recommendations?
>>
>>1613929
Can you not read English? This colombian anon here: >>1613741 specifically said do not go to Cali, it is a hellhole, and your reply is some idiocy about food being better and salsa dancing.
>>
Can you read the whole thread? He wasn't the Only one so said something about Cali.
>>
>>1613943
Not OP but fuck off. Even my Uber driver in Bogotá last night was telling me how much he likes Calu.
>>
>>1614049
let him be. Cali is more dangerous than any major city in Brazil yet people meme about how they will be killed in fucking Rio of all places Cali has 3 times the murder rate of Rio.
>>
>>1612321
The best things in Colombia are their national parks and cheap whores, nothing else.
>>
>>1614074
>my uber driver said it was safe so it must be true
Those people go to literal favelas in the middle of the night to make $5, what makes you think their opinion means anything?
>>
>>1614970
>Cheap whores
Where to, cowboy? And how cheap?
>>
Flying into Medellin from Costa Rica. Have three weeks in the country. Taking it more leisurely and relaxed. Definitely want to visit a plantation (Americunt that drinks way too much coffee) as my favorite beans have always been from Colombia. While there I would visit a park or two, then fly up to Cali and visit there for another 5 days, with Santa marta, and then head to Bogota to round off the trip. I am very interested in Cano Cristales.. But not sure if I really want to stomach the cost since the flight from Bogota to there is like 150-200USD. Granted I was trying to check from here in the U.S so maybe the prices are cheaper in country? (That was the case at least for my return ticket home).
>>
>>1615016
NEVER go to Santafe or red distrits if you're looking for a prostitute in Bogotá. I would recommend photoprepagos.com and mileroticos "location -> chapinero" Prices are between $20 and $50
>>
>>1614977
I've also met multiple tourists who've been to Cali and didn't have any issues.

So far as I can tell, you're the same kind of fear-mongering idiot who probably thinks that going to Mexico is an invitation to get butchered by cartels.
>>
>>1616056
Thanks anon.
>>
>>1612460
then why you always speak it like shit? this: >>1612932

>>1613313
>>1616056

I go to Santa Fe red light district all the time, just take some basic precautions.

I use Mileróticos / Photoprepagos all the time, but I'm extremely selective and have the 6th sense of a whoremonger. Most of the ads in these websites are not worth it.

>>1613692
60% of Colombian women are overweight/obese.

>>1613741

>Althought is a cold city and it's people suck. like ever capital of the world, their people might be act like cunts

nice delusion, faggot. Bogota has a mild weather of 15ºC; Medellin has a hot tropical climate of 25ºC.

you people are the ones who suck and ruined the country with your narco shit, sicarios, raeggeaton etc.
>>
What are the best thing to see in Medellin and in general the best experience you can do in Colombia! Serious answers please.
>inb4 fuck working girls.
>>
>>1613313
Ya engineers are bunch of pussies. I bet you are one too. I take some cash and my burner phone.

My Chinese-American friend got robbed though. So yes its not safe but I don't think its dangerous if you are brown or black.
P.S: No dar papaya
>>
>>1613152
pick up spanish else don't come
>>
File: 1559914487804.jpg (283 KB, 488x872)
283 KB
283 KB JPG
>>1617179
Media pushes colombian women here in the west. Tb.h its probably to prepare us for our racially ambiguous future thats fast approaching
>>
>>1617495
OP here, been in the country for about a week now.

There definitely have been circumstances where I've gotten away with something just cuz of my darker skin.

>>1617496
I have no clue how people come here without knowing Spanish. They took 100,000 COP off my medical fee pretty much cuz this gringo managed to scrape his way through the exam.
>>
>>1617576
>There definitely have been circumstances where I've gotten away with something just cuz of my darker skin.
can you expand more? I would like to hear that. At first glance do they treat you like local or gringo? And how do they treat you after you open your mouth assuming you are not native spanish speaker.
>>
>>1617576
>gringo
>darker skin
Always though gringo meant american but after spending some time with latinos im pretty sure they use it as a way to say white most of the time
>>
>>1617496
>>1617576
I speak shit Spanish--just basic conversational stuff--and have been to Colombia multiple times, plus many other countries in Latin America. Never had a single fucking issue.

You guys are either pussies or think that being in Colombia makes you "tough." Traveling here is easy-mode compared to third-world countries in sub-Saharan Africa or South Asia. Only concern is crime, and much of that concern can be alleviated by not acting like a total fucking moron and/or dressing like a show-boating retard.
>>
>>1616078
>people being evil is just a social construct bro
>be yourself and trust people they're all nice deep inside haha
Or you could listen to the advice of a local and get a couple of friends to come with you, jfc. That's literally all it takes but whiteys are always either "nothing happens to me xD" or dumb trustafarians.

>>1617495
Por eso, una forma de no dar papaya es ir acompañado de un par de personas que no se vea atracable.
>>
>>1617605
Okay, I'll listen to the fear-mongering anon off 4chan over the many Colombians and foreigners I've met who said otherwise.

The biggest complaint I hear about Cali from actual Colombians in Colombia is that there's shit-all to do there.
>>
>>1613741
>like ever capital of the world, their people might be act like cunts

this guy knows. Medellin(el poblado) is much better in terms of people and politeness. I almost cried the way cashiers treated me in Bogota. Fuck em. Never going there except for Santa Fe.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.