[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Decorative bus edition
Post about
>Your favorite Japanese drinks, bars, and degenerate drinking activities
>Getting drunk with salarymen
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

"Dude what should I see in ________?"
>https://www.japan-guide.com/
>https://www.jnto.go.jp/
Solid general guides - sights, sample itineraries, pre-travel considerations, etc
>https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1fmfaySQHmojbRGKWCwRecq6Ln1Bb2Xdh&ll=35.67928012473078%2C139.68638283648374&z=12
/JPG/anon put together an autistic supermap of sights, restaurants, and shopping. Go nuts.

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution. If you're coming to Japan solely for prostitutes you should probably consider a different country like China or Singapore.
What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/

*JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.
>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥ (approximately a Tokyo-Kyoto round-trip bullet train trip)
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

>https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
Super-easy rail pass calculator. Fill in your planned trips, get a quick yes/no response.

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.
Old thread >>1590016
>>
I have a fucking huge head. There aren't gonna be any hats that could fit it in this country, are there?
>>
RIP Shibuya Halloween party.

https://soranews24.com/2019/05/14/tokyos-shibuya-neighborhood-likely-to-ban-public-drinking-due-to-halloween-mayhem/
>>
>>1595043
There are so many bars and places to drink it's really a non issue. Besides if you haven't pregamed before getting there then lol
>>
if you want travel japan a bit spontaneously and need to choose a place to stay what are most consistently inexpensive places to stay ?
>>
>>1595048
airbnb, hostels
>>
>>1595048
9 hours if I just need to crash and don't mind using coin lockers for your shit
Hostel like Grids or 3000 yen hotel if I want somewhere to stay multiple nights and want to leave my shit in one place

Airbnb is good but eh the security deposits and rates make staying in a mystays or apa more appealing.
>>
>>1595050
Weirdly i have never actually been charged one of those security deposits, even though i've done like 15 Airbnbs in japan. Also even solo and getting a full apartment/studio i almost always find Airbnbs to be cheaper than hotels.
>>
>>1595055
Weird guess I do book in odd places though, usually in the mountain areas or northern japan I tend to notice it more. After the airbnb rules kicked in last june I noticed it more, could just be the places I chose.

The worst one was during a convention in Chiba and the people there insisted not using wifi for any uploading pictures or streaming, the only other option was some dude's camper van.
>>
we /soapland/ boys
>>
Should I even bother going to Kyoto in November? Everyone seems to say it's overrated and one of the smaller temple cities like Kamakura or Nikko are better and less crowded as well.
>>
>>1594796
If you wanted to meet people, you would have stayed at a hostel. It's always a crapshoot as to whether you meet bros or fuckwits, but I've always had good experiences in Japan, and found a travel buddy at each area I stayed in.
If you don't speak japanese, and you're not willing to put yourself out there and make an ass of yourself, this is your only option.

OR, you could not be such a desperate fag, and enjoy your own company. Travelling solo is the best, because you're not relying on anyone. If you're bored in another country,ask yourself why. Can you not be happy by yourself? Why not?
>>
File: 1552207252888.png (1.37 MB, 1080x1080)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>Booked a flight a month ago for 30 days.

Starting to worry that might be too long. From reading on here it seems like I should be able to afford (~$170 a day budget not including anything) everything. Just not sure I won't get tired of it after awhile. Has anyone here been for that amount of time?
>>
>>1595068

My 18 day trip I have booked seems not long enough. I'm stressing over what cities to go to still, because there's so many cool sounding places that I will need to skip over. I could probably do just Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka and still not really scratch the surface
>>
>>1595070
I haven't really started to plan yet (will this week) and leave in about 4 months. Maybe once I start planning I will see that it's okay. Anything/where you recommend for a non weeb?
>>
>>1595061
If you want a lot of iconic sights Kyoto is worth it. You will be able to get a lot done by seeing Kamakura, Nikko, and some smaller stops like Hakone and such along the way. Kyoto is good just not the only place to see temples/castles/etc.

>>1595068
170 a day is fucking overkill, I've done 100 a day with hostel and still had tons of cash left over per day. I've done 1 month my first time there with 3000 USD and lived it up fairly well. If you don't have a JR pass getting around may be costly, but you probably have time.

>>1595072
Depends what you're into, seriously avoiding Akihabara, Nakano Broadway, Ikebukuro(sort of), and Nipponboshi in Osaka and there you go all the weeb shit mainly cut out. It's stupid easy to avoid weeb shit in Japan unless you go looking for areas and spots with it in there. That is unless you consider seeing some anime poster or some shit 'weeb filth area' then japan and asia is not for you

No clue what you like so impossible to say, Japan guide has a good basic itinerary thing for 30 days, worth looking around there for some ideas
>>
>>1595074
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2400.html

just select 21 days and add fluff where you want for things that look cool
>>
>>1595074
Thanks for the help. That is where I was going to start planning. I couldn't care less about seeing weeb things I'm just not into them is all. The hardest thing right now is getting hotels/airbnb/hostels ahead of time and allocating days/time frames. Seems daunting trying to fill 30 days and booking places to stay ahead of time.
>>
Is the pocket wifi worth it?
>>
>>1595061
Im generally a 'kyoto is meh' kinda guy. But if you are already going to the area for osaka, or nara or anything else kyoto is worth at least a day. Because the really iconic sights are iconic for a reason.
See fushimi inari as early as you possibly can, first train gets there at like 7am, any later and you will be in the sea of chinks. Sunset at kiyomizu dera is pretty beautiful and the area down the below the main temple is pretty nice (especially in autumn). Then the arashiyama area with tenryuki, the bamboo forest and the monkeys is worth it (bamboo is shit but you have to go through it anyway for tenryuji and to get to the monkeys.

>>1595068
I did like 18 days, the first trip, then 32 the second trip, i still havent even been further north than sendai or fuirther south than hiroshima. So no, its not too long. Though if solo you could get a bit lonely/sick of being just with yourself, but that depends on how you are personally (i had a friend with me for just over half of each of those trips, good balance of solo adventure and sharing fun with someone).
>>
>>1595078
Personally if I had to suggest I would just break your trip into 6 5 day or 5 6 day stays per location with day trips around or something like that.

>10 days in Tokyo
Good enough to basically see everything around the loop, day trip to Nikko/Kamakura/enoshima/Yokohama/etc
>7 days in Osaka/Kyoto/Himeji/Nara/Hiroshima
I'd base in Osaka and shoot all over using a JR pass
>7 days in Gifu/Nagano area
>4 Days in Hokkaido
>3 days buffer for whatever

That's super out there but eh, just what I would do in that time of year, Nagasaki is cool but not really worth it for anything but the bomb stuff.

>>1595080
If your phone can't accept APN stuff, you need multiple devices online, or no dual sim phone. Yes. If you can accept dual sim then it's usually better to get the sim as less devices to carry around and cheaper
>>
>>1595080
If solo, possibly not. consider a sim
If solo and staying at all places that will have their own portable wifi (decent amount of Airbnbs have them), almost definitely not. Get a sim in that case.
Or if solo and staying at a couple places that wont have internet and/or dont have portable wifis of their own, then its worth it (though still consider sim card)
If traveling with someone, split the cost and its probably worth it.
>>
>>1595081
>Though if solo you could get a bit lonely/sick of being just with yourself,
I'm usually pretty good being alone, but the language barrier might make it a little harder. I'm trying to learn a little, but I doubt I will be able to understand much.

>>1595082
Thanks for the help. Seeing it broken up like that helps me get a baseline of how to do it. Would you get the 14 or 21 day JR for something like that. I was leaning towards 21 just for the piece of mind.
>>
>>1595086
Depends how you want to get around 21 is worth it if you're going to do day trips out of Tokyo+see the other parts of the country.

If you're mostly going for the tourist things I would suggest only going as far south as Hiroshima(nagasaki really isn't worth it unless it's near summer and beaches are in mind). Northern Japan is incredibly boring unless you are into super niche things or want to practice japanese IMO. Mostly just farm shit, port towns, and ryokans in the mountains. Really nothing interesting till you hit up near Hakodate, Chitose, sapporo/Otaru.
>>
>>1595068
30 days is great because then you can squeeze in plenty of time to go to Fukuoka and Hiroshima and after doing Osaka/Kyoto you can take Gifu province route and visit the more rural areas/Takayama/Kanazawa/Matsumoto before going to Tokyo. You can have a really damn great trip if you do that route. Just make sure you plan ahead properly and make a rough itinerary for each area, book accomodations ahead of time and have a long JR Pass (21 days probably) and save Tokyo for last where you don't need the pass as much.
>>
>>1595084
>If solo, possibly not. consider a sim
You still might get urgent calls from home, and unless you own spare phone or 2 SIM phone, SIM would be useless for you.
>>
>>1595099
The yeah another thing for that person to consider.
Though everyone i know that would need to emergency contact me also has my whatsapp, facebook messenger etc, so with constant internet of the portable wifi, i was just as contactable.
>>
File: 4234632464362.jpg (181 KB, 697x523)
181 KB
181 KB JPG
Going for my first time in October for 14 days. Tokyo > Kyoto > Osaka with 2 nights at Koyasan. Staying in Kyoto to have the best chance to see the sights without the day tourists. Will be using Osaka as a base to go to places like Nara, etc during the day. I dont want to rush from venue to venue, so I feel this itinerary is reasonable for my first trip there?
>>
I have 85 days.
I'm starting to work on my route,
problem is I start AND finish in Tokyo Narita airpot.
I'm thinking of taking the ship from Osaka to Busan and be in Busan + Seol for a few weeks.
Any ideas would be welcomed
>>
>>1595143
Just get a domestic flight.
>>
>>1595068
More time lets you get off the main tourist path.

I spent 20 days from Kyoto to Hiroshima to Kanazawa. With less time I wouldn't have been able to stop at the smaller cities along the way and see Onomichi, Kanazawa and Kusatsu Onsen; which were my favorite locations.

Even still I wanted more time to visit Shikoku, Kyushu and Hokkaido.
>>
I saw on a documentary that a guy paid for a girl to cuddle , clean ears and play sister, how is that called?
Can i get it in Akihabara??
>>
>>1595152
The ferry is 4900 Yen
>>
>>1595218
Ferry is cheaper but
1. Takes longer
2. You are going to Korea wtf why would you do it
>>
>>1595273
Fuck your shit, Korea is awesome. I was there last year and it was almost as nice as my Japan trip this year.
>>
>>1595273
The ferry sounds comfier tbqhwy
>>
>>1595216
just soapland
>>
LEAVE JAPAN ALONE. YOU ARE RUINING OUR HARMONY

STAY AWAY. GO TO CHINA OR KOREA

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Cover-Story/Japan-gets-more-than-it-bargained-for-with-tourist-boom
>>
>>1595216
This >>1595305

Don't half-ass it if you're going for that kind of experience anyways
>>
>>1595314
>GO TO CHINA OR KOREA
Eww, no.
>>
>>1595068
I did six weeks and am going back in July this year. Just don't spend too much time in one place, but also don't be like me, spend more than 2 days in each place.
>>
>>1595141
I would have thought jyoto wasa better base????
>>
File: the_tears.jpg (40 KB, 393x308)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>1595321
I am too afraid of catching some shit bro
And j don't care for sex honestly
I have sex back home, but nothing but one night stand
>>
>>1595332
Not that guy. But he's saying he is staying in kyoto for a few days then moving to osaka
In my opinion (and a bunch of peoples here who have been) Kyoto is meh as a base because after sunset there is significantly less to do. Plus its only like a 20min train trip to kyoto from osaka (which has tons to do in evenings and night), so you can absolutely get there early enough to avoid crowds (at mainly fushimi inari, or any other place you decide to visit at like 7am). There is almost literally no reason to stay in kyoto.
>>
>>1595314
>China or Korea
Nah, I'm good. Besides, the tourists that shit things up the most are the Chinese, the Thai, and some of the "Others."
>>
Just booked a 2 week trip for July (I know it will be boiling)

Never been abroad on my own before and meeting a friend who's semi famous who speaks English but not fluently. Probably going to be awkward af. I'm excited but nervous.
>>
>>1595380
Good luck and have fun, anon-san.
The first solo trip is always amazing.
>>
>>1595403

Thank you! Hopefully everything will go well.
>>
I remember someone vaguely mentioning a service to ship physical goods from Tokyo to back home internationally, which I probably will need because I don't have that much luggage space.
Do you know the name, or am I just imagining things?
>>
>>1595314
>go to china
fuck no, only good part of china is hong kong.
>korea
if I wanted to be afraid I was gonna be nuked id just go to Ukraine
>>
Any tips on hooking up with japanese girls at comiket?
>>
>>1595433
just b urself
>>
>>1595433
>Any tips on hooking up with japanese girls at comiket?

Unless you're cosplaying good luck getting anyones line outside the JP meetup at red saw each year. comiket is not like overseas cons, it's a sea of people constantly fucking moving to get a deal from their artist. You will not have any chill time with locals, trains are dead silent and smell like sweat, there is no good place to sit and relax.

Best bet is just at some arcade or what not or bar like the hub/ginza 300 bar after comiket
>>
File: wallpaper.jpg (231 KB, 640x480)
231 KB
231 KB JPG
Anons, what gift do I get for my friend (and to cover my bases now) my other friends in japan. all are men and women about my age, around 22-25. what gifts would they like from the USA? I want to ship some stuff over to them. thanks
>>
>>1595439
Chop sticks
bamboo drinking cup or shot cup
some weird flavor of kit kat or shit
maybe some temple charm thing
Head band that says I love Japan

All gifts probably be 300-800 yen depending how you look
>>
>>1595439
Why not ask them? If you really want to surprise them, probably American candies. Get random boxes of candy (usually $1 each), potato chip assortments, maybe some postcards and magnets for their fridges.
>>
Any nice forest walks outside Tokyo or Kyoto/Osaka that dont require an hour long train ride to get to? Not looking for a hike, just something to casually stroll through and appreciate.
>>
>>1595440
he said from the usa
>>
>>1595440
from the united states to send to japan. sorry./ captain autism here and I cant type for shit
>>
>>1595442
Kakone-yama Near shinjuku
Todoroki Ravine Park
Kama kura is an hour away but the bamboo forest and surroundings are blessed
For Osaka/Kyoto
look at Kuragari Pass
Minoo Park
For Kyoto
Daigoji
Takara-ga-ike

>>1595443
Oh wow lmao misread that

Honestly not sure, honestly I just bring odd candy bars, small edible things, or a gift of small liquor. I find consumables are far easier to present to people than long term material goods for whatever reason.
>>
Been to Japan twice, but have a couple questions.

Currently, my wife and I are thinking of going late June to the middle of July. We are trying to spend under 5k, and the tickets+hotel for three weeks is looking to be just around 3200 after taxes and fees. Is it possible to keep food, transportation, and activities under 1800 for three weeks? Last time we went we had no budget, but this time I'd like to be a little less spendy. We'd mostly be spending time in Tokyo+ the surrounding areas. I would like to see Kyoto again, but it seems expensive.

Thoughts?
>>
>>1595464
>activities under 1800 for three weeks?
That's about 4500 yen a day per person. Depending on where you are going and how rail/transportation passes are handled that's quite easy.

Keep in mind
>drink before going to a bar
not the most fun I know but drinking a few things from lawsons or cheaper mix liquor is cool, then just drink at a bar to keep the buzz going
>metro/day passes
JR ones in Tokyo are ~1000 yen, metro passes like 1500 for 72 hours, Osaka/Kyoto have similar things for the price
>JR pass niigata/nagano pass is a good value
https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass-regional/east/jr-east-nagano-niigata-area-pass
It's not the full pass but flexible over 2 weeks for 5 days of use, so you could to a trip to say Nagano/Matsumoto stay overnight then use it for something else later

So long as you just keep your daily budget planned out, you should be okay. If there is something big happening then you'll need to maybe do a save day or something. Cheapotokyo should help you out a lot of free/cheap events, which in June/July are quite common especially in the mountain areas.
>>
>>1595468
>https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/pass-regional/east/jr-east-nagano-niigata-area-pass

Thanks for the answer, I'll definitely keep all of that in mind. Is there enough stuff to do surrounding Tokyo for 3 weeks if we decide to forgo Osaka and Kyoto? I've spent a lot of time in the actual city of Tokyo, but aside from kamakura and Hakone, not much outside of it.
>>
>>1595141
Sounds good to me. When in Koyasan make sure to also do the night tour, it has an incredible atmosphere that's very different from doing it at day.
>>
>>1595314
This graph scares me.
Maybe I shouldn't expect the same experience I had in 2013 on my trip next year.
>>
>>1595470
Depends with your budget it could be a challenge, you could opt for some of the cheap bus services to get there if you don't mind doing a night bus or something
http://willerexpress.com/en/
Use that some offers, you MUST book ahead, will let you get around for like 20-30 bucks, just takes longer. You could easily do a round trip for both of you to Kyoto from Tokyo for like 100 bucks in transportation fees.

Bus passes are here
http://willerexpress.com/st/3/en/pc/buspass/
Worth it depending on your schedule, comes out to about 33 bucks a day to go most places, probably a better deal.

Kamakura is good The bamboo forest, beach will be nice, the buddha, and some of the forests leading to the tombs are amazing, temple is usually far less crowded so is the segmented garden parts

Enoshima Island is really amazing for the tide pools, shows, and other festivals that go on. Just buy the damn escalator pass for your feets sake

Nikko is a good get away

JAXA Tsukuba Space Center is a good day trip too

Kawagoe and Saitama have really nice old town to visit

Ome is good for small time feels leading into the mountains and is fairly cheap to get to IIRC, like 10 bucks

Yokohama, has some good museums and parks free zoos and aquariums on select days

Kyoto is doable with a bus, dunno though costs of hotels will be up there around that time you'd probably be better off with a private room at a hostel in all honesty
>>
>>1595472
>Maybe I shouldn't expect the same experience I had in 2013 on my trip next year.

It will be different but at the same time VERY much the same. Most of the influx of people come during summer months to Japan. Spring/Fall/parts of winter, feel very much sameish to where you probably wouldn't realize it unless someone pointed the graph to you. To be completely honest, most those tourists are doing the Tokyo->fuji->Kyoto routes, Kyoto is just a fucking steaming pile of shit right now and I refuse to go there anymore than I have just because it's so damn full of chinese and tour groups that it becomes annoying.

Every fucking time it's always like clock work you can be somewhere quite and then 15 bus loads of chinese or boomers from USA/Europe roll up.
>chinese all smoke
>kids run around touching all the NO TOUCH things
>Selfies sticks on literally everything
>americans and euros comment on literally every damn thing asking what they think it means even though the sign for english is right fucking there
>bars and restraunts jam packed
>not much open till late because the the places are catering to the tour groups
>no english turn aways even if you speak japanese to them about the order
>other japanese tourists are just as bad

Kyoto's fine if you want to squeeze in all those really photoesque, iconic shots that people when they think of japan go "yup that's japan"; but honestly it's not worth the hassle for me to revisit
>>
>>1595471
How do you do this tour when most temples have a curfew around 9pm and serve dinner around 6pm?
>>
File: IMG_5126b.jpg (1016 KB, 2388x3132)
1016 KB
1016 KB JPG
I had a Hello Kitty tour bus in Kyoto. Was pretty kino.
>>
>>1595080
Nah. Get a SIM card.
>>
File: IMG_20190507_180233.jpg (2.54 MB, 3840x2160)
2.54 MB
2.54 MB JPG
>>1595482
But is it as kino as the hand painted Kawaguchiko local trains though?
>>
File: MVIMG_20190507_151321.jpg (2.64 MB, 3840x2160)
2.64 MB
2.64 MB JPG
>>1595482
>>1595488
Or the Thomas the Tank Engine train in Kawaguchiko?
>>
File: IMG_5222.jpg (1.78 MB, 4032x3024)
1.78 MB
1.78 MB JPG
Might need help with my autism lads. I booked an activity on a whim - to go round shops in Harajuku with "a fashion Instagrammer". Time came and I went to the meeting point but realised I was the only other person apart from her. I could not face trailing round trendy clothes shops for four hours in the heat and crowds with a bored and contemptuous fashionable girl so I just hung around at a distance and observed her. After half an hour she left. Pic related - that's her with the flag and yellow-pink hair. the lady in the red shirt was with her presumably to make sure I wasn't a rapist.
>>
>>1595475
Just reading online it seems to be from 19:00 to 20:30 with a bus dropping you off just before 21:00
Seems to be cutting it a bit close.
>>
>>1595493
You made her wait for you for nothing and you should feel bad.
>>
>>1595500
She got paid, presumably.
>>
File: IMG_5247.jpg (1.81 MB, 4032x3024)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
Wanted to cop one of these solar-powered waving conjoined cats as a souvenir but they're kind of nightmarish.
>>
File: Dotonbori.jpg (109 KB, 700x467)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Heading to Osaka in a few weeks for the first time. Got a couple of full days to myself and looking for recommendations of what to do.
Going to see Osaka castle, and on the fence about going to Kyoto for a day trip for Fushimi shrine and a few bars/restaurants. Staying at Dotonbori, and will be hitting plenty of rock bars.
>>
>>1595532
Sky scrapers are cool see >>1595447 for some sights, Nipponboshi if you're kinda weeby the Tenga mega store is worth it at least. Aquarium is nice and the zoo is dirt cheap, the red light district with hookers blatantly out in the open is hilarious too
>>
>>1595532
Personally I thought Osaka Castle was a bit underwhelming. The Castle itself is gorgeous, of course, but once you go inside it's a very sterile museum with not that many interesting things to see. I'd go there to look at the building and take pictures but not go inside. I dunno, maybe that's just me.
Umeda Sky Building has a really cool viewing platform with a good view of the entire city that's worth checking out.
If you're into animals and shit, the aquarium is amazing.
If you also wanna do things outside the city, it's really easy to get to Nara for a day, also recommended.
I also liked hanging around Umeda station (or was it Osaka station?) in the evening, on weekends there's often street performers playing music. Not really an activity, but it's a very comfy atmosphere to soak up if you have the time to take it slow.
>>
>>1595532
My advice, get to Fushimi Inari by 6 AM. It sucks getting up that early I know, but usually the shrine is deserted at that time up until around 7-8AM. That's enough time to leisurely walk the torii tunnel up through the mountain circuit and back, with nothing but the scenery, your own thoughts, and a handful of caretakers and ordinary people.
>>
>>1595563
Have you been to Himeji castle? If so, how did that compare with Osaka?
>>
>>1595565
Not that anon but Osaka's castle really isn't anything special compared to stuff around it. It's just stupid easy to get in and out of and way less crowded compared to anything Kyoto.
>>
>>1595565
Himeji is way better. It's bigger, more beautiful and there's a lot more interesting things to see.
>>
>>1595057
Should have taken the dude's van bro.
>>
>met a Japanese couple at a shrine.
>guy is a total bro, his wife is sweet.
>they enjoy my broken Japanese and in turn I help the guy with English. Use Google translate to help.
>they drive me around Tokyo, very interesting and relaxing to see Tokyo in a car perspective.
>they take me to Japanese luxury restuarants, eel, its liver (they say its it's a specialty in cuisine) and sushi. Prices made me almost shit myself.
>felt guilty over their kindness, offer to pay my part but they refused and paid it all and all the alcohol.
>tried hooking me up with someone but I told him it wouldn't work out.
>spent the night at a karaoke bar.
I did learned that I do not like seafood. I forced myself and ate all the food and said it was delicious out of politeness. The sushi was especially hard to stomach.
>>
What's a good todo list for a quick unplanned 4 day trip to Tokyo?
>>
>>1595493
That's hilarious, anon. Thanks for this.
>>
>>1595565
Himeji is preserved and maintained, while Osaka isn't and just a museum inside. Osaka is nice, but himeji is the real deal.
>>
>>1595594
It's kind of crazy how hospitable Japanese people are. This would never happen where I live, and you keep hearing about things like this happening in Japan.

You should've taken that hook up though and just dropped her after the trip.
>>
>>1595638
Literally Google 3 days in Tokyo and you will get a billion results with suggestions.
>>
>>1595565
Himeji Castle is not a recreation, but an original castle so it's really fascinating to to into. And it sits on top of a hill so you can peek out the small windows and get a nice view over the city. I'd say it's worth visiting. It's highly crowded with tourists though so try to get there as early as possible.
>>
>>1595565
Osaka castle is pretty decent to look at and the gardens around aren't too bad. Worth a look i'd say. As the others say the inside is fucking packed and is a basic museum layout. I will say though the top level is basically just a viewing platform and its a pretty great one in my opinion, because you are in the middle of a big park the view around is not cluttered, but just gives you a good view of everything around.
>>
File: DSC00513.jpg (1.49 MB, 1246x1500)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
do you like my picture?
>>
File: 1553237036757.jpg (83 KB, 700x525)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>1595654
Can second that, when I was in Osaka a dude in his 50s just walked up to me, gave a ticket to the ceramics museum and said "have a good time". http://www.moco.or.jp/en/exhibition/past/?e=523
>>
>>1595472
I went in 2013 the first time as well. It was kind of bad, especially Kyoto but not really that bad. Went back to Kyoto last year and holy shit, there's so many fucking people everywhere
>>
>>1595669
>Portrait shot
Pass!

Nah just kidding. It's comfy.
>>
>>1595043
I was there and this is totally understandable. Just look at this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBqFgy3sqFU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAANSI0_kcw
>>
>>1595688
I was there too, wasn't that bad honestly. Yes there's a lot of people squished together in a tight space but that's just everywhere in Tokyo. The few idiots turning over a truck, that sucked but banning it altogether because of them seems a bit over the top desu
>>
File: IMG_20190517_171236.jpg (1.92 MB, 2448x3264)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB JPG
Any anon that knows Japanese know what this is? I found it while hiking nikko
>>
File: IMG_20190517_171218.jpg (2.16 MB, 2448x3264)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>1595691
Here is the outside. I didn't see it in any of the shrine gift shops or the any other place. Its 99.9 silver, has text inside and what appears to be Sanskrit(?) which makes me think its an amulet but I have no idea. I'll post more if anyone can translate/summarize. Ill try to get charcoal or something to get an impression of the inner text
>>
>>1595068
Been there for 45 days. Was too fucking short.

The amount of things to do in Japan is insane.

Funny as it is I think 170$ is a bit too much a day. Save that money for souvenirs and luxury shit. Heres my average day in Japan.

On railpass i'd wake up early and go somewhere with shinkansen or express train. Off railpass I'd he same with trains or metro depending on city.

You wake up and grab yourself some mobile food from the konbini like the amazing sandwitches or famichiki or pastry. If you're lucky your local train staiton is a small hub with tons of restaurants so you can go eat there. Stuff like Cococurry, Yoshinoya, Tenya, Katsuya, McDonads, Dotour, Mcdonald, Freshburger, Pomme no Ki etc... Too many to list...

You explore the area you're interested in then you get hungry, you search for local food thats unique so local ramens or other specalities like Okonomiyaki, Monja-yaki, Yudofu etc...
this is usually 1000~1500 yen.
After that you explore some more.

Then night comes, you go shopping or you go to bars.

After that you go home and check whats new on the internet and go to sleep.

TL;DR It's not long, what are you interested anon so we can give you some places to visit?
>>
>>1595691
>>1595692
it's a ring
>>
>>1595080
Usually not, you lose GPS accuracy, you get some shit with a weak battery and a weaker battery pack. It's heavy as shit, and usually doesn't give you all that much.
>>
>>1595692
I think they call it a ring.

But seriously, i'd be at least somewhat interested to hear what it says if you figure it out. Though it's likely just a normal ring someone lost doing the same walk as you.
>>
>>1595141
This was my first trip too 1 week in Tokyo one week in Kyoto and surroundings. It's pretty good for your first trip. I ended up having several more much longer trips and it was also worth it you miss a lot of stuff on a 14 day schedule.

>>1595332
Kyoto is more expensive, has a tourist tax.
Osaka is cheaper, is 1 hour by normal train and 15 minutes by Shinaknsen. Also what anon said after sunset kyoto is kind of dead.
>>
>>1595691
>>1595694
>>1595696
Gee, thanks, guys. I never would have figured out it is a ring. You can go back to your CIA jobs now.
My camera is shit so Ill do the impression thing to is if I can get it translated. If not, at least I have nice silver ring. Now my intelligence and endurance stats are +2 and +1.
>>
>>1595691
>>1595692
Looks like American tourists hipster ring.
>>
>>1595690
I think they're more appealed by the risky costumes and displays of sexual behavior in the middle of the town.
>>
>>1595702
no pretty sure that's no issue, otherwise they would have said something the other 10 years or so Halloween took place in Shibuya. This year was just especially bad because of some destruction and all the trash that ended up littering the streets afterwards
>>
たこやき
たこやき
たこやき
たこやきttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czizBiAhHiI&t=16m14s
>>
File: IMG_20170302_184144.jpg (942 KB, 1600x1200)
942 KB
942 KB JPG
>Went to Japan two years ago
>This entire thread
I WANT TO GO BACK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>1595719
>went to japan 5 months ago
>this entire thread
I WANT TO GO BACK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
I know that feel my dude.
Before i went to japan i was always like "i want to travel to america", "i want to travel europe" and of course japan (it being the cheapest, closest and safest made it end up as the first place overseas i went). Now im just like "i should visit japan this summer, oh and this autumn and next spring", anyone asks if i want to go to america or europe, its just "maybe at some other time, i still have so much japan to explore".
It has everything you could want. I love big cities, i love walking/hiking/nature, i love ancient temples and history and i love japans media culture (anime, games, manga etc). Plus its so easy to travel in, still the cheapest place for me (other than SEA shitholes), friendly people etc. So few other places have all of that, its usually some or the other.
>>
I have a couple months of free time before school starts in august and I'm considering going back to Japan. However, last time I was there I was pretty miserable as I'm not a really social guy and it got pretty boring just walking around looking at things.
This time I want it to be different, but I'm not sure how/if I can manage that. I'm afraid that I'll skip out on things again because I feel uncomfortable doing things alone, but I don't have anyone to travel with either.

If I'm going to travel I'll have to decide soon as I would have to leave around early/mid june to get back in time for school, but I just can't make up my mind what to do.
>>
Guys I'm waiting in a long line for ramen.
Is mutekiya worth the wait?
>>
Where to pregame in shibuya tonight?
>>
>>1595747
Sega, idolmaster is a good warmup
>>
>>1595745
Fuck yeah it is.
The noodles and broth are pretty good (up there but not crazy special), but the pork is fucking amazing, really thick big chunk slices that are melt in your mouth.
I now realise you posted an hour ago and have either eaten or fucked off. but im still gonna post.
How did you like it? if you ended up sticking aorund.
>>
Has this always been a banner
>>
>>1595742
This is me Japan right now. I don't do night life or anime because that's degenerate. The only thing I truly like is leaving the city and going hiking. Plus it doesn't help all other gaijin won't talk with a dirty minority like me.
>>
>>1595753
I've never seen that one before.
It hits too close to home.
>>
File: 20190517_203039.jpg (2.94 MB, 4032x2268)
2.94 MB
2.94 MB JPG
>>1595752
Actually I just got out about a hour of waiting.
It was delicious, got the number 1, and a side of gyozas. As you said the pork was the best part.
Had three gyozas remaining, so I offered it to some Japanese kid as he was standing behind me as I felt we shared some kind of companionship.
Messed up the picture because I started to dig in and realized I better take a picture of it for the memories.
>>
File: japan boomer.jpg (166 KB, 1189x881)
166 KB
166 KB JPG
Who /hub/ here?
>>
reeee why does 4chan think all my imageposts are spam
>>
>>1595757
Damn a full hour, well i guess being friday night that makes sense. One of my waits was only 20mins but my other 2 were like 40 (i stayed in ikebukuro so i got it a few times for dinner).
I think I got the one that is extra pork with no egg or seaweed (i like how they print on that though). I did get that '1 pound pork bowl' one the last time i went, finished most of it and a friend helped (they got gyoza and something else). Damn that was good.
gonna do anything else around there? My friend and I did that for dinner then went into a bar nearby that has ping pong tables, darts etc, played for awhile then went to the karaoke place thats got all the rooms facing out to that intersection the ramen store is at. Can 100% recommend doing that. the karaoke part would probably be fun even if solo. (we did some strong zero and cheap conbini whiskey along the way to make it a little less awkward too, so try that)
>>
File: IMG_20190517_171001__01.jpg (180 KB, 682x1057)
180 KB
180 KB JPG
How about now?
>>
File: IMG_7368.jpg (1.26 MB, 2400x1800)
1.26 MB
1.26 MB JPG
>>1595765
>>
>>1595765
Fucking nigger birds
13% of the kite population yet 50% of the food thefts.
>>
>>1595764
Ah, I actually was wanting to go some bar nearby, but I forgot that I didn't check in my hotel yet, so I'm heading there then go back out somewhere as I think I'll be out past midnight.
Thanks for the tip, actually went karaoke last night and I had a lot of fun.
>>
>>1595773
Ah damn, thats inconvenient, but if you are still gonna go have fun its not so bad.
Yeah i hadn't done karaoke before then, it did turn out pretty fun.
Well whatever you end up doing have fun mate.
>>
>>1595778
Thanks anon, I'll try and figure what to do, it's actually my final night here after 21 days here.
>>
>>1595783
I hope you find something fun to do to send you off properly then.
Have fun mate, goodluck with the flight and everything tomorrow.
>>
>>1595692
If it is sanskrit then it is probably going to belong to some non-Theravada Buddhist sect, more specifically in this case a Japanese sect.
I doubt it is Sanskrit though as Sanskrit is generally written tied togethor in some fashion, not in the separated blocks I see with your ring.
I still get the impression it is of religious purpose though.
>>
>>1595654
I can vouch for this. On my first trip to Japan, me and a friend were hiking up Mt. Kinka in Gifu. We pass by this elderly couple, and take a break at one of the overlooks for a smoke and views. The elderly couple caught up to us, and gave each of us a tangerine! It was very sweet of them, they didn't speak a lick of English.

On another trip, I took the ferry to Tashirojima (Cat Island) and back. On the way back, I was heading for the train station, which was probably a two and a half km walk, nothing too bad. A young couple I had previously noticed on the ferry stopped by me on the street in their car and offered me a lift to the station. Their English was pretty good, we shared pictures of our cats, and they declined when I offered them a couple hundred Yen for gas.

I could keep going on and on about the hospitality of the Japanese. I tire of hearing people say that the smiles are fake and shit. It may be true to an extent on the Tokyo --> Hiroshima tourist belt, but once you leave it and get out there, it's a whole different ball game.
>>
I find it ironic how Japan's immigration law says someone who has engaged in prostitution will receice a lifetime ban from entering even though the country's laws for it are so lax and it's widespread in many diverse forms in Japan
>>
>>1595836
Japanese laws on paper and Japanese laws in practice are completely different.

Gambling was illegal until a couple years ago yet every corder had a pachinko parlor.
>>
>>1595836

And it's not even about a conviction, just if one has even legally engaged in it
>>
>>1595772
I kek'd
>>
File: japanadeal.png (319 KB, 1686x1352)
319 KB
319 KB PNG
Some flight deals to Japan came in today. Most will be gone within 24 hours some less. Thought someone might want them.
>>
>>1595693
Thanks for the reply. What you listed seems to be about what I want to do. Go see what I want and then kinda of just wander around and relax. Still trying to figure out how long to stay in each area but I am slowly narrowing it down.
>>
When you guys do day trips for a couple days do you just stay in your base city or do you get accommodations where you are going? Like say I want to plan out a couple days in Nikko out of Tokyo.
>>
>>1595916
Depends on the time to get there and back.
If it takes an hour or so to get somewhere from the base city then it's cool. However if it takes you closer to three hours one way; then you should consider staying at your destination.
>>
>>1595912
Where do these people live that a RT flight to Japan costs $1200? Missouri?
>>
>>1595946
RT flight to Japan is like $2800 for me $1200 is cheap as fuck.
>>
>>1595380
You'd better have an insulated water bottle that is at least half full of ice cold water at any given time. Japan has fucking terrible AC and I honestly doubt you'll find any kind of place to just sit and cool off.
>>
My Japanese ex-girlfriend that apparently was secretly pregnant with my child gave birth to my daughter but is avoiding contact with me.

Is there anything I can do to get my child back? The girl is obviously half white and I don't want the psycho bitch to raise her in Japan instead of in the west with proper child care facilities and good education.
>>
>>1595912
just booked mine for $600. Gotta love Scott's Cheap Flights for the heads up.
>>
So being an IT Professional is something I can definitely do in Japan to make life work there right? It's apparently 2nd to English teaching when it comes to foreigners. And knowing Japanese as well would make it even better. Thoughts? Of course I haven't fully decided what I want to do yet so this is all speculation. But I think this is the path I want to go.
>>
>>1595958
I get that you are flustered right now but I really doubt this is the right place to ask for that kind of thing.
>>
>>1595961
I haven't worked in Japan myself, but I have colleagues who got some temporary programming work in Japan really easily even though they weren't even good at coding and straight out of school. So if you know your shit and know Japanese you could probably land a really good job there very easily.
>>
>>1595963
Damn that's cool. I don't want to be a shitter though. This is definitely something I'm going to be thinking about.
>>
>>1595961
IT work is extremely disrespected in Japan. It's like being a janitor you'll be treated like shit and be severely underpaid. Also lie to chicks you meet about what you do.
>>
>>1595969
But I just recently read that IT workers get roughly 4,500,000 yen a year. What kind of proof do you have for that?
>>
>>1595971
I don't really have paper proof as it's from personal experience. But I'm sure other anons here will chime in to confirm IT workers are disrespected and underpaid in Japan. Especially compared to the west.
>>
>>1595946
$800-$1200 is pretty standard for direct flights on non-chink carriers. Then occasionally you see deals like that that go into the $400s-$600s.
>>
Should I buy a SIM at Japan or do a carrier plan from my local carrier?
>>
>>1594866
Anyone know where can i eat a good omurice at a cheap price in Tokyo? Also, where can i find the best soba in the city?
>>
>>1595995
Pocket wifi
>>
Also please realize people in Japan are actually asleep now so most shit won't get answered until 4 hours after this was posted.
>>
>>1595971
Isn't 4.5m yen like $45k? That seems pretty poor for a skilled job.
>>
>>1595995
https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/
got my 8 day unlimited data SIM for $20
>>
Last time I was in Japan, I stayed in a minshuku with a view into the onsen. I had to stand up on my table, but I could see into it. It was fun watching all the Japanese women staying there wash their big bushes. I hope I can find a similar place again next time.
>>
>>1595995
I heard Google Fi is pretty good, but it'll only work on certain phones.
>>
>>1595692
Hey that’s mine bro!
>>
My dream is to back pack from one end of the country to the other. How plausible is this, doable in three months?
>>
Would you do 1 or 2 days in Nikko? Would you travel back and forth from Tokyo or get a room in Nikko?
>>
File: 1445888459994.jpg (23 KB, 654x512)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Are there good places for public karaoke? I won't know anyone over there, but I still want to get drunk and force people to listen to me sing.
>>
>>1596105
>Nikko
Totally depends on your time anon and JR Rail pass.

How long does it take from your Tokyo Apartment to Tokyo Station. Do you have a JR pass can you ride the Shinkansen to Utsunomiya?

If not how far are you from Asakusa for Tobu's Kirifuri Express. It costs 2,390 one way so 4580 yen return ticket. Takes 2 hours.

If you don't have JR Railpass and you can find somewhere to sleep for 4580 yen a night it's better to stay.
>>
>>1595961
Yes you can make a life. If you're coming from America or a rich EU nation you will be under-payed compared to your home country.

IT in Japan isn't the big money it's in the US or EU(UK, Germany, France,Sweden, Norway,Switzerland etc...).

>>1595971
Like you said yourself thats 40,881$ dollars a year. While if you're coming from say Hungary or Romania thats a shitload of money. Know that the average wage for US worker non IT is $47,060 a month. So truck drivers and such earn this much.

IT in the us goes from 60$k-120$k a year depending on location and type of IT.

Also note that the average salary in Japan is Average NET salary is JPY 4,894,972.

And for Tokyo it's a stunning JPY 6,950,005.
>>
>>1596118
I'll be in Japan for 29 days and will probably just get the 21 day pass. I don't leave for a few months so I haven't booked places to stay just yet.
>>
>>1596123
Well to me 3 hours is the limit for travel time for day trips.

So if you leave at 6~7 am you're there at 9~10 am and then again going back around 7-9 pm so you're back by 10-12 pm. Depending on where you live and when the first/last train depart.

Don't know about you anon can you take 6 hous of trains? I sure can I mostly sleep or play stuff like Nintendo switch or mobile phone games.

Hell I played Splatoon 2 on my switch over 4g tethering in the shinkansen. That kind of blew my mind.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLcUbfpfPac

Sanja Matsuri
>>
>>1596105
I spent 2 nights in Nikko, but wish I'd had more time. I spent the full day walking around Toshogu and the town since there was a festival going on, and the second day I saw Kegon falls, Akechidaira, and did a cruise on Lake Chuzenji. I wanted to do some hiking since the Nikko/Chuzenji/Yumoto area has a lot of good trails with bus service at the start points, but didn't have time. A day trip is really too short to do more than see the shrines and Lake Chuzenji.
>>
>my first 13 hours direct flight to narita in economy

I'm going to die right.
>>
>>1596134
It's not that bad, as long as your in-flight movie monitor works and the drink cart comes by often enough and turbulence doesn't lock the stay-seated light in the on position.
>>
>>1596134
>>1596135
And as long as you dont get a kid near you, and dont get a fat person on either side of you, and as long as you dont get a middle seat, and as long as you arent tall.
But yeah if none of thes issues either of us said come up, you'll be fine :^)

I think my longest international flights have been 8 hours (also japan trips), depending on your luck it can be smooth as fuck or be cancerous aids that makes you wish you were dead.
>>
>>1596134
Why are you not flying first class if this worries you?
>>
File: pnfxuatcdnw21.jpg (63 KB, 540x960)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>>1596134
I flew Economy with Qatar and Etihad and it was wonderful.

I have no idea why people complain about economy.
>>
>>1596136
Window seat
>>1596137
No first class in Iberia. Also i'm a humble office wagecuck
>>1596138
I fly Economy all the time. To japan always using finnair from Helshinki and is perfect. But direct flight 13h from Madrid is just too much time this time...
>>
File: seriouslove.png (199 KB, 413x374)
199 KB
199 KB PNG
heading to shikoku this summer to do the 88 temple pilgrimage. i'll be there for about 11 weeks, but due to unexpected changes with work losing clientele, i'll only have roughly $1000USD a month to budget. I plan on sleeping outdoors for the most part, only sleeping indoors maybe once a week. i'll be sleeping outside for the vast majority of the pilgrimage. depending on how long it takes, when i'm done making the loop i'll take into account how much it costed. if the cost is low enough, i'll just do it again, without hitting every temple up, to pass the time before my outgoing flight. if it doesn't, i'll just head to nishinari in osaka and rent a cheap place and dedicate myself to independent study until i leave. i've been taking japanese lessons through italki for the past two months, so i'll know enough japanese syntax to pick up on the tongue quite quick once i get there. this will be my first time going to japan. what do you guys think? any questions? any advice? i'm psyched.
>>
>>1596139
>window seat
Well theres one obstacle down.
If you arent overly tall, theres 2 down.
You are getting there. Just keep your fingers crossed it keeps going this way i guess.
>>
File: sweating man.jpg (10 KB, 251x201)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>1596138
Oh my.
That gets the (testicle) juices flowing.
>>
>>1596146
Suicidal girls in paratrooper uniforms are what get you going?
You must be starved for material, man
>>
>>1596152
Well i mean, crazy girls in military more so. A little less specific than what you thought, fortunately, because you are right that would be lacking im sure.
But even more specifically for this one its a cosplay of a cute crazy loli angel of death from an anime
>>
>fucked my foot up walking around in the wrong kind of shoes and now I'm limping all over Kyoto
Had to go back to the hotel early just to recover. Pray for me lads.
>>
>>1596160
>wrong kind of shoes
wat
>>
File: 1011A158_020_SR_RT.jpg (153 KB, 1024x768)
153 KB
153 KB JPG
>>1596160
Jesus what kind of shoes did you go in?

I specifically went out to get some walking shoes
>>
I fucking hate airports and those hipsters with horrible tattoos and rapper caps, they are fucking everywhere. The security guys are on strike too. Wonderful.

Anyway, Can I survive 3 weeks with just 'kore, onegai shimasu' and 'biiru kudadai'?
>>
>>1596162
Boots with a rise in the heel, basically the stupidest thing possible. I've bought a pair of sneakers since getting here, just hoping it's good enough to walk around on after some rest.
>>
>>1596163
>Arigato gozaimasu - Thank you
>Sumimasen - Excuse me
>Konnichiwa - Hello
These seem pretty essential to me too, but other than that, google translate is your friend.
>>
File: 2019-05-18_100148 .png (15 KB, 824x329)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
Made it past the lottery!
>>
>>1596167
You won a lottery to pay 9k yen, top kek.
But seriously congrats, have fun
>>
>>1596167
Neat. I've never really listened to a lot of Hatsune Miku, but I'd love to go to one of those concerts just to see what the holograms are like.
>>
>>1596168
Japan and their lotteries man...I even had to do a lottery to get some accommodation (at the university) but lost my first choice so have to travel 50 minutes from Komoba to Hongo.
>>
>>1596163
If you need a few things to learn it's these.

Ohayo - Good morning
Konnichiwa - Good Day/Afternoon
Konbanwa - Good Evening
Arigato, Arigato Gozaimasu - Thank you, Formal Thank You
Sumimasen - Excuse me
Hai - Yes
iie- No

doko - where
dore - which
koko - here
kore - this but close such as pointing to a product
sore - this but farther away like what the fuck is that over there

Place you want go to + doko desuka?
Point finger to thing say "kore o kudasai" - I want this
Ikura desuka? - How much is this?

Mistakes no to make

Okanjo wo onegaishimasu - I want the Bill
kanojo wo onegaisimashu - I want a girlfriend

Oh right also on trains you'll hear like "Tsugi wa or Mamonaku Shinjuku, Shinjuku desu, deguchi wa migi gawa desu or hidari gawa desu.

Hidari - Left
Migi - Right

Japanese is kind of dumb as it's based on Up, Down Left Right. Ue Shita Hidari Migi

That means for like asking directions people will tell you massugu as straight forward or move forward.

Also since you'll probably mostly intact with restaurant and konbini staff here some handy shit.

Some Japanese restaurants are pendantic as shit when it comes to sizes. Espeically Gyudon restaurants if you go in and say in english "One Gyudon please" and they'll be like "saizu" and then you say "medium or large" and they'll act confused as if you're asking for gods knows what. I had this happen on multiple occasions in 4 Japan trips in may cities.

Basically

Nami = Standard/Medium/Normal
Omori = Big/Large
Tokumori = Extra Large

Some have special shit like Yoshinoya has アタマの大盛 Atama no Omori or Sukiya has Chumori basically they all mean more meat less rice standard portion.
>>
>>1596174
Oh thank you anon. The Gyudon size tip is going g to be very handy.
>>
>>1596174
In every konbini you'll be asked this.

Irasshaimase - Welcome (no need to reply back if you want simply make a small bow)
Tsugi no Kata Douzo - Next person in line please
Insert here Atatame mashouka/atatamemasu ka? - Do you want it heated up (mostly for bento and other foods)
Ohashi wa go riyou saremasuka? - Do you want chopsticks (they might also ask if you want spoons for ice cream etc...) but you'll understand this as they'll say spoon, forku, milku, strooow, shuga
Fukuro ni oiresimasu ka?- Do you want it in a bag usually plastic.
Fukuro wo owake shimasu ka? - Do you want ti baged seperatly like Ice cream in one plastic bag and hot foods in the other.
Sho sho omachi kudasai - Please wait (They'll say this a lot)
Omatase itashimasita - Thanks for waiting (This is usally after they do something)

You want it Hai or onegai shimasu
If you don't wait it iie or daijobu desu or kekkou desu

If you want to be formal as fuck you can go Arigatou gozaimasu but if you wanna seem like a professional at the end say domo.

There with this you can live in japan indefinitely.
>>
>>1596175
Here more about it
https://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/999/words-characters-for-fast-food-meal-sizes-%E4%B8%A6-%E5%A4%A7-%E7%89%B9
>>
>>1596172
Yeah they do seem to love their luck based stuff.
Sucks you didnt win that one, that sounds inconvenient.
>>
>>1595971
4.5m yen sounds like a lot until I went to XE currency converter.
>>
>>1596184
That's under average for most big cities in japan
>>
>>1596174
Maybe a bit much of a knowledge bomb to drop on someone knowing nothing. But its good helpful stuff, so if he just slowly looks at these and not immediately try and cram them all in there, this will be helpful
>>
>>1596187
Well I'm assuming he'll pick and choose what he's interested in.
>>
>>1596177
I don't remember any of that stuff in any konbini I used. I just used grunts and gestures then arigato at the end. I'm not learning Japanese. Fuck 'em, we won the war.
>>
>>1596191
Yeah, thats sort of what i meant. I meant to actually put his post in the reply too. Just to sort of say, hey this might seem like a lot so just learn it in chunks.
Its a good post my dude, good information.
>>
Is there a black market where I still can buy ticket concert in Japan?
>>
>>1596160
I did the same thing in Kyoto. I guess I bought the wrong kind of sneakers to be walking around for miles on end every day. Just rest up as much as possible and try to do things that don't require too much walking.
>>
>>1596200
Just make sure your walking shoes are well and truly broken in months before the trip and take some small sticking plasters for any blisters.
>>
>>1596192
lol
>>
>>1596202
I did have some plasters for the blisters, but I did not break in the shoes at all since I wanted them to be in pristine condition on my trip as they were on the more expensive side and I wanted to look presentable on my trip.
>>
>>1596192
Oh shit I didn't know you were a WW2 vet! Respect.
>>
>>1596206
Heh I did the same thing in Hong Kong a couple of years ago, big mistake.
>>
File: Our Saviour.jpg (104 KB, 636x1130)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
>Family are going to Japan next year
>'Anon you speak Japanese, come with us!'
>Free trip to Japan, says yes
>It's during the olympics
How fucked am I? Since all weebs and those genuinely interested in Japan will avoiding Tokyo like the plague during this time, will the streets be hell, but the more specific shops and places I want to go be okay? It's for 2 weeks, and our air bnb (its a house to ourselves) is 1 hour away from Tokyo
>tfw I just want to go to Hokkaido
>>
>>1596217
Its a free(ish im sure) holiday, even if its not optimal its still gonna be pretty good.
It will definitely be busier, but overall with how fucking busy japan is anyway it probably wont be too much more crazy.
>>
>>1596134
>Have to take an 8 hour flight to Dubai just to get out of my shit country.
>3-4 hours at Dubai.
>Then another 10 hour flight to actually get to Japan.
God I envy people who can get to their destination on a single flight.
>>
>>1596220
UK? I did that very flight a couple of weeks ago.
>>
>>1596217
Just go and do things away from the top tourist attractions and the area surrounding the Olympics and you will probably be fine. Get a rail pass and visit nearby places like Kamakura, Enoshima, Yokohama, Hakone etc because most of the Olympics normies will likely stay put in Tokyo.
>>
File: 1442522127169.jpg (3.18 MB, 3648x2736)
3.18 MB
3.18 MB JPG
Was anyone else kind of disappointed that Japanese girls didn't look like the ones in JAV? I mean I know it was a stupid expectation and the girls were generally nice and slim and well-dressed but there weren't many 10/10 beauties. Even some of the maids on the corners in Akiba were a bit fugly.
>>
>>1596224
Come on my dude, most JAV whores and JPOP idols are ugly aswell.

That said, I saw plenty of extremely attractive Japanese girls during my 3 week trip, and I fucked a 9/10 one without crooked teeth.

But overall Korea has a better qt to uggo ratio than Japan, but the top girls in both countries are fantastic.
>>
>>1596224
Middle one would be a top cutie if she just lost weight t b h.
>>
File: 1552164793432.jpg (95 KB, 1024x683)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>1596224
Japanese people are some of the ugliest in the world, we know this already.

It has to do with it being an island nation and lots of inbreeding. In my 2 years of living in Japan the most beautiful women I've seen was only a 7/10. I feel like the average is 3/10 in Japan while it's a 5/10 in the west. The top 10% in the west is 8/10 while the top 10 % in Japan is 6/10
>>
>>1596224
I think the most beautiful Japanese girls are more beautiful than any others but the general standard is not that high. Even the plain ones have something about them though. I had a big crush on my tour guide in Kyoto and she was a chubby little woman with awful yellow teeth. She was so cute though.
>>
>>1596233
I had a crush on my super average looking ryokan host. She had such a warm genuine personality and a very expressive gentle face and kept chiming in with cute Japanese expressions during conversations.
>Soooudesune~ ^____^
That shit melts my heart.
>>
>>1596139
I've done MAD to NRT in economy it really is't that bad.
>>
>>1596233
>>1596234
You know those "warm" personalities are just masks right? They have different hospitality standards than similar functions have in the west.
>>
>>1596238
Luckily I'm not cynical enough to believe this is the case with every person in Japan.
And even if it is, I appreciate the effort they put in to be nice to people, unlike people in most places in the west.
>>
>>1596232
The two on the left are cute tho.
>>
>>1596241
On the far left is a 3/10 and the one with the blue scarf is 4/10. Get some standards dude.
>>
>>1596220
Why? I found single flights to be way more of a hassle to be honest.

I mostly fly Etihad and Qatar you fly 3~4 hours to Dubai or Doha. Relax there for 2~3 hours see some shops, maybe even sleep in the sleeping areas.

And then you go to the Japan flight.
>>
>>1596167
I won one of those lottery things each of the last two times I flew over. First was for a live interview event for Net-juu no Susume (I was the only foreigner in the room, but nobody made any particular deal out of it), and this year's was for Snow Miku 2019. The one thing I wish someone had told me before I'd gone was: earplugs. That concert was LOUD. Miku herself isn't overpoweringly noisy, but the live band is hooked up to some very amplified speakers that I would have been able to hear just fine through anything, and I could have spared myself the ringing that lingered for days afterward if I had been prepared.
>>
Lads, I believe I'm going with my gf to Japan for the first two weeks of September.
I want to propose to her there and was thinking on top of Mount Fuji.
Is there anywhere else that might be a good spot to propose or is Mount Fuji a good idea?
>>
>>1596265
Somewhere she can say no and get away in case she does?

Imagine the climb down if she says no.
>>
>>1596265
Im not 100% on when hiking mt fuji is good, but i think that fits in the window (its only like 2.5 months a year or something apparently). So just google that at least
As for other places, i guess if theres something specific over there you both want to visit, any hobby you both have that has something related, IDK.
>>
File: 1522877397454.jpg (49 KB, 449x425)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>1596272
faf didn't think about that
>>1596276
supposedly its the tail end, I'm not sure how busy it is, I wouldn't wanna do it if there are hundreds of nippons around, wouldn't be as personable
we're both into nature and naturey shit which is why I thought mount Fuji would be a good idea but I was curious if there are any other interesting/romantic places that would be worth considering
>>
>>1596278
Mt. Nantai is similar to Mt. Fuji, but far less crowded. Same with Mt. Tsukuba, if you really want to propose on a mountain. I've done the Tsukuba hike before, haven't done Mt Nantai but it's on my list. Tsukuba also has a cable car and a funicular to take you back down if you're tired/she says no.
>>
>>1596278
Some other mountain like Hieisan or Koyasan with lush nature and few tourists would be optimal in my opinion.

Or just take her up the cable car at lake Kawaguchiko at sunrise and propose to her with Mt Fuji in the background and the lake below. Make sure to actually book an accommodation in Kawaguchiko for a few days in case the weather is shit.
>>
File: 1444866313722.gif (3.31 MB, 500x280)
3.31 MB
3.31 MB GIF
>>1596279
>>1596280
thanks m8s that's some good advice, didn't know there were so many mountains around Japan.
Nantai or Lake Kawaguchiko sound like good options
we've done a couple of mountain climbs in Europe so higher elevation ones are always nice
>>
>>1596286
Good luck anon, I hope everything goes well.
>>
>>1596003
>>1596121
>>1596121
But are IT workers treated unfairly like he said?
>>
>>1596291
They aren't treated unfairly but they are looked down upon. It's not like they will spit on you or be rude to you. It's more like you'll be viewed as a janitor or fax machine operator. It just isn't a respected job. Women might actually get turned off if you tell you work in IT so lie about it like every westerner that works IT in Japan.
>>
>>1596287
thank you bruv ill post here come september how it goes
>>
>>1596232
Are you from the nation that everyone is artificial beauty of similar face of plastic surgery?
>>
>>1596261
Oh shit, I didn't think about ear plugs. Are normal ones ok?
>>
Anyone know where I can find about concerts for specific months?

I'm looking for what kind of concerts will there be in september in Tokyo.
Specifically, I'm looking for post rock or shoegaze concerts.

Japanese sites are fine.
Tried googling 東京 音楽イベント 九月 but didn't really find anything good.
>>
>>1596229
>But overall Korea has a better qt to uggo ratio than Japan
Isn't plastic surgery for young women pretty routine in Korea?
>>
>>1596310
It's common but also pretty obvious who's done it, and I don't count the plastic ones at all. The natural beauty vs uggo ratio is still better than in Japan.
>>
>>1596195
i would hardly call it a black market, as there are stores with physical, aboveground and easily spottable locations that exist only to resell tickets
dont remember what they're called though
>>
>>1596224
Hell, I'd tap any of the ones in your picture except for fatty there.
>>
>>1596291
Not I think what he means is, I mean in a big city you're disposable. Actual Japanese companies want you to work Japanese hours. from 9-9 not the regular western 8 hours or less. Actual over time and work.

And if you won't do that, they'll slowly demote you and fire you.

Thats why always find western centric companies. That have a good work life balance.

They're not treated unfairly they're treated like everyone else.
>>
>>1596314
They are 12.....
>>
>>1596313
This you can see these shops everywhere, you can recognize them by the countless listings. They're called Kinken Shops. Kinken means like "tradeable coupon redeemable for goods or services"

A famous one around tokyo is Daikokuya the big orange one.

Theres also ones with more resonable names like Access Ticket, Ticket Port, Ticket Ranger etc...

https://www.japanconcerttickets.com/best-kinken-shops-tokyo/
https://www.japanconcerttickets.com/kinken-shop-guide/
https://tokyocheapo.com/living/daikokuya-buysell-everything-you-can-carry/
>>
File: FBI.gif (3.71 MB, 498x280)
3.71 MB
3.71 MB GIF
>>1596321
Well fuck, I was only half-awake when making this post. Let me just turn myself in here.
>>
>>1596321
Your point? If anything that puts the fatty back on the table (until it breaks from her weight)
>>
Whats the consensus on hostess clubs? Whats the average cost and is it worth said cost?
>>
>>1596335
Unless you've got a good grip on the language, it's a waste of time. Even if you can talk with them, it's still a waste of time AND money.
>>
>>1596321
>12
Hmm hard to tell.

The left says says 大学進学コース University Entrance Course
the right says 幼児教育コース Early Childhood Course

I'd wager these girls are 16~18 and here for the 大学進学コース
>>
File: dsc01818.jpg (237 KB, 690x518)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
>>1596337
https://wordtraveler5.wordpress.com/tag/work/

Yep reverse image searched it they're Senior Highschool students.
>>
>>1596339
Jesus christ im not fully on the japs are ugly train, but fuck almost all those kids are pretty bad. In this pic only back left and back right are semi good looking
>>
File: DJCtmgbVYAAoCFo.jpg (309 KB, 1200x799)
309 KB
309 KB JPG
>>1596341
An easy way to see actual japs is go to twitter

https://twitter.com/search?f=images&vertical=default&q=%E5%AD%A6%E5%9C%92&src=typd&lang=en

This mean School.

This mean Class Picture
https://twitter.com/search?f=images&vertical=default&q=%E3%82%AF%E3%83%A9%E3%82%B9%E5%86%99%E7%9C%9F&src=typd

Obviously theres a lot of filler like content there but if you search my images you'll find tons of class photos like this one.
>>
>>1595836
>>1595842
>>1595843
You are a fucking retard, engaging in prostitution means either being a pimp or whoring yourself.
>>
>>1595985
>>1595946
>>1595949
>live in south america
>american + JAL costs $900
I assume it is $1000+ for someone who lives in a flyover.
>>
File: DNOqrm1VwAIhGQq.jpg (227 KB, 1200x899)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>1596343
>>
>>1596345

>Live in NY
>$970 JAL in November

I thought this was a good price
>>
File: 1556732064409.png (357 KB, 500x502)
357 KB
357 KB PNG
>>1596345
>Live in Croaita
>Flights cost 450€ via Qatar

Not in my fucking wildest dreams of 2004 did I imagine that my main god damn obstacle to going to Japan was going to be my job not giving me free time.
>>
>>1596347
>>1596343
Honestly niether of these are too bad. You'd easily find worse (and better) at any school near me.
Hell at least there's no fatties there. If it was my country at least 3-4 of the girls would be pretty chunky.
Also i have been to japan a few times its nowhere near as bad or as good as either side of the argument makes it seem. Its basically no different on average than at home. With the exception of literally no one being fat, so thats some instant bonus points japans way
>>
>>1596351
Japan actually has a noticeable increase in fat girls. Sure it's still only 20% of the population instead of 40% like Europe or 60% like the US but it's still massively higher since it was only 8% in 2009 and 20% now.

What I noticed though is that there are almost no girls in the middle. Either they become slightly fat and just give up and completely balloon up to obese. Or they stay skinny. It's hard to find "average" girls somewhere in the middle.
>>
>>1596352
I still see more fat people in one afternoon around my place than i have in both my trips to japan combined (nearly 2 months).
Same goes for tall people. Litlle race of munchkins the japs
>>
>>1596352
I'd take a harem of skinny butterface girls any day over the pickings we've got here.
>>
File: IMG_5095.jpg (2.32 MB, 4032x3024)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB JPG
Anyone been in this place in Shinjuku? What's the deal here, pay a set price and drink as much as possible?
>>
>>1596357
You think they're small? They seem kind of average to me, maybe slightly below but not much. Thing is I didn't notice many very short or very tall Japanese, very few outliers.
>>
File: 1377365681895.jpg (54 KB, 800x800)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Was going to catch some high culture at the Kabuki-za theatre in Ginza but a decent seat costs 14k yen so fuck that. I'll go to Asakusa Rockza and look at titties for 4k yen.
>>
What's the best gallery/museum/show you've been to in Japan?
My ranking:

1 Teamlab Borderless digital art museum
2 Asakusa Rockza titty show
3 Samurai Museum Shinjuku
4 Robot Restaurant
5 National Museum of Modern Art
>>
>>1596368
The Samurai Museum was pretty neat, but they could have put it in a better location. Nothing like being hassled by nigerians and yakuza street help for "japanese titties" and "the best bar ever" on the way to it.
>>
>>1596369
Why are you going to a museum after like 10 PM?

I never got hassled by touts in Kabukicho during my 10 days stay there before 10 PM.
>>
>>1596373
I had just finished up at Robot Restaurant and was still looking for something to do, desu.
>>
File: 1528916485681.png (600 KB, 1024x1024)
600 KB
600 KB PNG
>>1596134
>flying economy with ANA
>tfw 86 cm leg room
>>
>>1596306
As long as they're functional, they should be fine.
>>
>Buying a SIM card

anyone did that?
https://www.sakuramobile.jp/long-term/data-sim/compatibility/
Will it work with a Galaxy s8?
>>
>>1596431
POCKET WIFI
>>
>>1596431
they work with most phones, it just depends on if it's unlocked or not
that is, did you buy it outright or did you set up a payment plan?
(pocket wifi is easier)
>>
>>1596433
>>1596434
It's unlocked.

I'm doing a trip of 85 days,
most of it would be in Japan, with a trip to South Korea (probably a few weeks there)
so there's a SIM for 90 days
should I still go for a pocket wifi? can I take it with me to Korea? wouldn't it run out after 30 days
>>
>>1596436
Just ignore caps lock-anon. If you don't need internet on multiple devices and if your phone is unlocked, there is no point in getting a pocket wifi over a SIM card. Pocket wifis can run out of batteries and are a pain do drag around if you dont have a bag with you at all times.

>can I take it with me to Korea?
No, get a separate SIM or pocket wifi in Korea
>wouldn't it run out after 30 days
Depends on the pocket wifi. You have to return most of them after your booked period is done, unlike SIM cards
>>
>>1596436
Get a pocket wifi. It should basically be stickied in the OP to get a pocket wifi.
>>
>>1596436
Pocket wifi is superior for your laptop and phone.
>>
>>1596442
>>1596444
>>1596433

Get something that gimps you phones AGPS and google maps.

Get something thats about 0.5kg to lunge around with the mandatory fucking power bank because they've been overused have and have tiny batteries. Enjoy that overused power bank too because it will last a tiny amount.

Or you could be a normal human and simply have a phone in your pocket with a sim.
>>
>>1596368
I really liked Teamlabs Planets. From what I remember, Borderless is basically all of their best stuff thrown together, while Planets is a curated experience.

Kyoto Rail Museum and Omiya Rail Museum are both great as well, and Matsumoto castle has a small museum in the keep dedicated to early Japanese firearms which is pretty neat. And for gamers, Huis-Ten Bosch in Sasebo has a video game museum. Tons of old consoles on display, and a ton of retro arcade cabinets (some are pay, most are free to play).
>>
>>1595314
>STAY AWAY. GO TO CHINA OR KOREA
>literally all the increase in tourism is from chinese speaking countries and korea

Telling white people to stay home isn't gonna change anything at all
>>
Anyone gonna be in Osaka next thurs/fri/sat and wanna hang out? I promise I'm not a serial killer
>>
>>1596460
>I promise I'm not a serial killer
That's okay as long as you didn't do it more than once
>>
>>1596441
Thanks anon, based.

Actually thinking about it I'll still buy a 90 days SIM for Japan, even though I'll be there 50~60 out of the 85 with some on Korea
Now I have to actually start organizing it and book places ;_;
>>
Is akihabara a decent place to stay for few days? Found a hotel at a few days at an ok price, but I'm concerned that the nightlife is just weeb themed bullshit.
>>
>>1595759
>tfw it's day 8 out of 9 of your trip and you just don't care no more so you order the tower drinks and don't even use a glass.
>>
>>1596477
Mind sharing the hotel?
>>
>>1596486
You want to share a hotel room with a stranger on 4chan?
>>
>>1596487
I meant the name of the hotel anon.
>>
>>1596488
I'll share a hotel with you if you want anon
>>
>>1596489
I'm flattered anon but I feel you'll change your tune once you find out I'm black.
>>
>>1596490
I'm not actually the guy staying in akiba but I don't see why that'd make a difference.
>>
>>1596490
Do you own a bar with sexy girls?
>>
>>1596492
Nah, I'm a fat fuck who only can afford his japan trip to live out his weeb fantasies due to a series of lucky circumstances that came together at the last minute.
>>
>>1596486
Hotel Resol Akihabara
>>
>>1596493
I bet it'd be fun to hang out but I won't be in tokyo for like two weeks.
>>
>>1596500
Oh my trip isnt until August, thanks for the offer though anon.
>>
>>1596493
Well I'm glad things worked out for you.
I'm 31 and it has been my dream for almost all my life to go to Japan and this year the stars aligned and I finally got to travel there, so I can relate.
>>
>>1596140
Same anon who posted this, genuinely seeking insight here
>>
Do most of you guys take your luggage on the train, or ship it from the airport to where you're staying?
>>
>>1596527
Shinkansen and Narita Express both have enough room to bring a large bag and keep it in front of you, if there's no room on the shelf.

That said, my ryokan helped me ship me bag from Kyoto to Osaka when I was making a one night stay in Hiroshima and it worked out perfectly since I didn't want to lug my suitcase all the way down there.
>>
>>1596531
I'm thinking more like, KIX to my airbnb in osaka. Bringing the luggage on the local train always seems like it's inconveniencing someone else.
>>
>>1596536
There is usually enough space near the doors on the train for you and your bag. Just don't take a seat with your bag next to you like a cunt and there's no problem.
That said, having your case shipped could be a good idea if you want the freedom to not drag your case with you if you have a 3PM check in.
>>
>>1596544
I get in at like 7pm, I'm just worried about rush hour. I know tokyo like the back of my hand but i've only been to osaka once so I'm a bit more worried than usual
>>
>>1596366
On average they seemed kinda small. I actually just decided to google statistics as i wanted to see hard facts instead of just my experiences. average male height in japan is 4.4cm less than where im from, females is 3cm less. So a bit of a difference, but i think combined with the no outliers either way like you say it makes them feel as a whole even smaller than that. Im only 190cm but i can count on one hand how many japanese people i saw that were as tall as me on each trip. Yet in one trip into Uni at home i will see far more than that (not even counting when i actually get to the uni where i then see another couple dozen).
>>
>>1596368
tell me more about this titty show
>>
>>1596368
>>1596560
nevermind sounds lame, could go get a """""massage"""" for like 4k more
>>
Anyone here try a dating cafe before? How was it?
>>
Been staying in Japan for about week now, going around with rented bicycle and having good time. But today I decided to go to Kabukicho and while I was at conbini buying some tissues, I looked out the window and saw some insaly buff dude in a suit beating up some low-lifes.
All good, wasn't my problem. But then when few of them were already down he fucking grabbed my (rented) bike and started beating rest up with it, finally totaling it on them!
Afterwards he just immediately ran off, what am I gonna say about this bike now?
>>
>>1596584
See if the guy wants to do a side story with you.
>>
>>1596584

Demand that he repay you the cost of the bike plus interest.
>>
What do you generally want to say when buying things at stores? I’ve watched native Japanese buy things and they are completely silent.
Is it strange to greet and thank them? I always say hello and have a nice day in my home country so it seems weird to me, but I have no clue.
>>
>Figure and figma prices
God damn, some seem fair and some are stupidly high. I havent been to Akihabara yet but Nakano and Shibuya had pricier stuff.
>>
>>1596644
>I’ve watched native Japanese buy things and they are completely silent.
You underestimate the amount of autism the Japanese have. For what its worth though, as long as you're paying in the correct amount you don't really need to say anything. In fact, you probably come off as an asshole by forcing them to talk to you.
>>
>>1596644
I just bow my head as a greeting and then thank them when leaving. Requires no response from them and is polite so it feels appropriate.
>>
>>1596527
I do I mean the only. Problem is usually the last train station to the place. Any train has enough space for huge tavel bags.
>>
>>1596490
As long as your not Nigerian and want to sell me "sexy massage"
>>
>>1596368
Teambordrless
Kyoto Rail Museum I got to use a train simulator and ride a steam train
Natural sciences museum ueno amazing basic physics experiments
Eso Tokyo museum amazing display of old Japanese life
>>
>>1596660
For figma prices (and general figures im sure) its a fine balance between popularity (both long term and if any current reason to extra popular), rarity (how many were made, how many get sold around) and age.
For example. I was lucky that most of the figmas i wanted were from things that overall are fairly popular (so lots of figures around) but weren't massively in the spotlight (so prices currently down to due to higher supply than demand).
I got my full K-ON and Madoka sets, crazy cheap. Each figure across the 10 averaging around than 2000yen. Would have cost me at least triple to get these to australia.
But then for a few other figures i wanted from SAO (i know i know), they are quite expensive, as overall its quite popular (despite the meme-ing), as well as currently still popular, with more seasons and games currently coming out. So demand will be high and supply lower (especially because as its newer theres been less time for people to get over their figures and such, so less being sold).
There you go, a probably longer reply than you wanted explaining the economics of anime figures.
>>
>mfw all the stupid tourists going to Tokyo
Yes, stay in your gaijin containment zone and leave the rest of Japan alone please
>>
>>1596675
>In fact, you probably come off as an asshole by forcing them to talk to you.
I mean, they are constantly reading off prices and the money I give them anyway. Makes it simple if I’m not really expected to say anything though.
Just making eye contact and smiling seems more than usual.
>>1596677
I’m guessing this is what I’ll do too, thanks. Just a simple arigato or domo seems more than enough and not much different from my home country equivalent of a casual thanks I suppose.
>>
>>1595532
Make sure to go to Nishinari so you cans say you went to the most dangerous seedy part of Japan. You should also DEFINTIELY go to Shin Sekai because it is really unique. If you are into prostitution Tobita Shinchi can not be missed.

>>1595563
The Osaka castle museum is great though? The history of the castle is really interesting. I guess if you don't like history or learning new things it isn't worth going to but I found it to be a really interesting and educating experience.

>>1595565
Himeji is beautiful. The entire castle grounds are amazing as well. It is on another level compared to Osaka.The interior of the castle aren't really anything to look at, but the novelty of the experience is that it is an original construction castle and it feels pretty cool to be walking around in it..

Having said all that, both are worth going to though I consider Osaka Castle to basically be an interesting museum rather than an absolute "you NEED to see this" spot.
>>
>>1596682
Pretty sure all the stupid tourists flock to Kyoto more so than Tokyo
>>
>>1596685
Nah it's Osaka that's hot with retarded tourists and weeb expats. Funny thing is that they think they are "underground" as well while it's tourist trap central. Might as well name it "New Kyoto".
>>
>>1596688
That's not my experience at all from a few weeks ago. I barely saw any tourists in Osaka but Kyoto was a complete mess with tourists whenever you got remotely close to any big tourist attraction. Tokyo was kind of in-between, but it was mostly a clusterfuck with Japanese people so the tourists weren't at noticable.
>>
>>1596167
You lucky fuck.

>>1596685
Wrong. Tokyo has a similar amount or even more tourists but it is simply a significantly larger place than Kyoto. Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto are the standard tourist route.

>>1596689
Wrong again. Osaka has become the new expat hotspot in Japan. Just like on 4chan, a lot of expats in Japan are contrarian by nature so they go to Osaka so they can be ""alternative" and whatnot. It is a very uninformed tourist thing to say that there aren't foreigners in Osaka.
>>
>>1596691
Sure my real life experience with Osaka must be false since you provided me with anecdotal evidence that it's hot shit with tourists.

>to say that there aren't foreigners in Osaka
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>1596691
>It is a very uninformed tourist thing to say that there aren't foreigners in Osaka.
Visited Osaka in January. I believe I saw more koreans and chinese in Osaka than in Tokyo (in ratio compared to japanese).
But I saw less white people for sure.
>>
>>1596689
Him
>I barely saw any tourists in Osaka
You
>Wrong again. Osaka has become the new expat hotspot in Japan.
You literally aren't even talking about the same thing, so no he isn't wrong you retard.

No one but you is bringing up expats. You are probably right about that, but they were all talking about regular tourists, which there were definitely a lot more of (and a lot more retard ones) in kyoto than in osaka.
you are the only one being an 'uninformed' tourist
>>
>>1596681
No, thats fine anon. I am looking for some Guts figurines but cant seem to find any good ones yet. Again, not going to Akihabara until a week and a half. Currently mostly in Shinjuku and Shibuya.
>>
>>1596702
Not particularly into berserk, so can't give any specific advice there. But in general akihabara does have A LOT of everything, there are 100s of stores, some secondhand, some new, some both. So theres a good chance you'll find a few Guts things you want. Whether they'll be at a good price, well who knows. From memory his figma has always been expensive though, from release it was pretty high and only went up. I think they did a re-release or are doing one. You could go ask the figma general (if you haven't been there already), no promise you'll get much help, but someone there might have an idea of normal prices and such.
>>
>>1596702
>>1596708
figma general on /toy/ of course is what i meant.
>>
>>1596691
There are foreigners in Osaka but Osaka isn't a foreigner city like Tokyo is.
>>
>>1596584
Okay, this is what you gotta do. Head off into the mountains. Train, and train some more, until you're strong as fuck. Fight a bear, then return to Kamuro-... I mean, Kabukicho. You find this guy, and shake him down for every last yen he has on him.
>>
I'm in Osaka right now lads and i want to see the monkeys in the bamboo forest in kyoto. How bad is the chink infestation in the bamboo forest? Went to a big temple in kyoto already and it was a nightmare.
>>
>>1596731
Go super early in the morning or you are fucked. Same goes for any attraction in Kyoto
>>
>>1596574
The girls are top notch. Plus if you see the last show at 9 pm the cost is only 4k yen.
>>
Guys. How do you deal with your heart and feelings aeeing those Japanese and Korean cuties dating those numale Asian guys?
Only some Osaka roasties have show some actual interest to have fun with me.
Going to Hiroshima next, don't know anything about it's nightlife tho.
>>
>>1596742
What the fuck they offer student discounts lmao.
Is it worth it? Probably going to the last show this week. Can I drink all the time?
>>
>>1596760
It's actually really artisitic and well done and the girls are lovely. Think you can drink, I just necked some Strong Zeroes beforehand.
>>
>>1596760
Yeah, you can drink. They sell cans of beer in the lobby, along with light snack fare.
>>
>>1596379
>Japan on JAL
>Flight attendant is super hot
>Spoke to her in Japanese
>Notice she's been giving me special attention
>keeps coming back to me to refill my glass of ume wine.
>Starts conversation where I learned Japanese, and what I did on my trip
>constantly keep having lewd thoughts throughout the flight.
I really enjoy the female Japanese flight attendants.
>>
>>1596837
Should've asked for her Line
>>
>>1596837
I really should have.
I only just recently set up a line, how significant is it to get a girl's line's number? Just as equivalent as getting a phone number?
I got one girls line that I regularly talk to.
>>
>>1596854
It's the main means of communication in Japan so yeah it's a pretty much like getting her number.
>>
What are some good resources for Japan travel discussions? I like to read the old posts and find new things to consider doing that I might not think about normally.
>>
Work’s sending me to Okinawa for a year — how fucked am I lads? Wanted to see the mainland in my free time but I’m gonna be $300 and 3hrs in the hole just to escape for a single weekend.
>>
I'm about to book one of those super fancy sushi joints, but my question is what if I get sick? I assume I'm not allowed to show up coughing and wheezing, but at the same time I don't want to pay the cancellation fee of 100% they claim.
What do bros?
>>
>>1596873
Don't get bit by all the Habu snakes.
Other than that enjoy your tropical vacation.
>>
Nara was disappointing because there were too many fucking people. I thought it was supposed to be less tourist infested than Kyoto. But I was last in Kyoto 2 years ago...
Has tourism in general just gotten worse since then, and Kyoto is even worse than before? Or has Nara caught up as more people hear about it being the "quiet Kyoto"?

Final question, is Fujiyoshida filled with tourists?

I'm not against people touring other countries except when they're loud, oblivious, and get in everyone's way
>>
>>1596953
Asian tourism has increased by a lot these last few years in Japan.
And people go to Nara to see the deer, and I dont know where you get the "quiet Kyoto" stuff from.
>>
>>1596953
>Nara was disappointing because there were too many fucking people.
NEVER do nara on a weekend, ever. I usually go on a week day and have a blast.
>>
>>1596956
Fuck the deer
I will say though, the botanical gardens were nice. Only old quiet Japanese folks and quiet contemplation
>>
Who's flown within Tokyo domestically? I want to visit Sapporo and Hiroshima next trip and the only way that seems feasible is flying.

Right now one way tickets look very manageable ($50 Tokyo to Sapporo), but next March (when I'm going) they are more than double.

Do the prices just get cheaper as the days get closer?
>>
>>1596995
>Do the prices just get cheaper as the days get closer?

No but round trip should be about 10k yen ANA/JAL have an airpass thing too. Flying within tokyo is fun but for the everloving fuck use the app for checkin assistance.

Also just a word of advice, make sure you plan shit out for Hokkaido. Hakodate is eh, Sapporo has a good fish market by the clock tower, Otaru for anything else. Also if going outside the main cities make damn sure your japanese is in check.

I went peak December from HND->chistoe or whatever and it was 100 round trip.

>>1596873
>I’m gonna be $300 and 3hrs in the hole just to escape for a single weekend.
Don't fly to Narita, fly to KIX, should be about 80 bucks or so
>>
File: 20190503_193253.jpg (2.36 MB, 4032x2268)
2.36 MB
2.36 MB JPG
>Golden Week Friday with a friend
>At Osaka Castle, big festival happening
>Go up in the Castle, big line but didn't take long to get in.
>Afterwards go back to Festival and drink
>Start to wander into the park nearby, get separated from friend
>Run into a Concert that is about to start
>Look at band that is playing
>"Silent Siren"
>OH FUCK, buy a ticket and some merchandise clothes to fit in so I don't stand out too much, message friend about the concert, he later gets in
>Never really a band concert goer don't know what to expect
>My seat is in the middle kind of close to the front, friend's seat is somewhere else in the far back.
>before the concert started people I'm next to seemed really like hardcore fans, they are sitting down not chatting like most people around the back or sides, complete stone faced, with silent siren hachimaki, robes, fans, completely geared up to the brim.
>Suddenly the band comes out
>HIGH energy all around me, the guys around me bust out crazy synced dance moves during performance
>Didn't want to stand out, know that I'm only gaijin there besides my friend in the far back. So I start getting the dance moves and the signs when to do them, as I notice one of the band members are giving some of the gestures for it.
>Be dancing and hand flailing, Cherry bomb hand gestures, all kinds of things I see doing, yelling as hard as the people around me are.
>This continues for what seemed hours of dancing, jumping, yelling, singing.
>had a good time, met up with friend, tell him how exhausted I was, and asked if he did the same thing I had to do.
>"nah bro people around me were sitting the whole time, we just sat back and enjoyed the show."
During leaving a guy asked if I came all the way from America to see the concert, as he came from the Philippines to see it as he won the tickets in the lottery, and asked how I got them, I told him I just bought them from the ticket counter for 5,800 yen
>>
>>1596995
Prices fluctuate and actual pricing is determined by complex revenue management computer black magic. Since you aren't flying until March, just keep an eye on the prices until they drop to an acceptable level. Fwiw, I paid about $100 USD for NGS-HND. You may also be looking at LCC prices now, but the only prices in the system for next March are full service airlines like ANA/JAL.
>>
>>1596971

Where should one go on weekends, honestly? Seems like everywhere is to be avoided on those days.
>>
Anyone know any good ryokans to stay at?
I'm trying to find one with a good view of mountains and shit
>>
>>1597040
Hakone is the usual suspect. Nikko/Chuzenji has a lot of good places with beautiful views. So does Matsumoto and a ton of small towns in the central alps. Have you tried google?
>>
>>1597041
I'm poking around on various websites.
Lot of information to sift through so i figured i'd just ask here.
>>
>>1597042
If you don't want to pay a shit load look at Gero and some places in Gifu. Hakone is good for english friendly ones though.
>>
>>1597016
Sounds fun. Good you were able to get into it, most people would just be embarassed.
I randomly came across a school 'battle of the bands' type thing at that same stage when i was there to see osaka castle. It was basically like real life K-ON with the cutesy type songs.
>>
>>1597016
Ha, right on, Japanese concerts are a blast. I came across a band doing a street performance on one of my trips, bought some of their merch and CDs. Now, whenever I make a trip back to Japan, I make sure to drop in on one of their actual stage performances. It's pretty neat, the singer, she even remembers who I am. Then again, I'm probably their only gaijin fan, so there's that. It's a shit ton of fun every time though.
>>
>>1597047
I'll check those areas out as well, thanks anon.
>>
>>1597016
Oh, they are going to perform with one of Bang Dream bands soon, saw announcements in trains.
>I told him I just bought them from the ticket counter for 5,800 yen
Well, you just got really lucky (both with your seats and ticket availability). Usually events like this sell out fast, especially if more famous bands are involved. Securing your tickets in advance never hurts.
Good thing you had a blast and joined in with cheering/calls!

I went to a live during the Golden Week (really famous pop singer) and got assigned a place in the middle of the first row. She noticed me during the MC, asked where I was from and if I came to see her. Then asked me to come over to the stage and offered me a handshake. Her band and audience gave me a round of applause - wasn't good for my weak heart.
Definitely a highlight of my trip.
>>
Is goign to skytree worth or will it be chink infested? was thinking of going to the aquarium there too
>>
>>1597101
Tokyo metropolitan building will have shorter lines and is free. Probably slightly worse view though, but still pretty great. Then theres tokyo tower whihc ive heard as a good skytree alternative as well.
>>
>>1597101
Peak time is always during the sunset. Just like in Tokyo tower and Mori tower.
Go one hour before and and during weekdays and you will be fine. The last time I was in the skytreeb some idol group visited the place and it was insane, cameras everywhere, it was on live TV too. Those cute girls ruined my photography session. I touched one of them improperly tho, the last floor is pretty small.
>>
Would you pay 275$ to go to the Fukushima no-go zone and some ghost towns?

Because I'm probably going to pull the trigger. It's 12h. Low radioactivity areas.
>>
>>1597115
No I'd get off at the station, wait for a while then after dark go in off a main road where the IR cameras aren't
>>
>>1596890
dont get sick
>>
I have lost the fucking yellow paper they give you when you pass all the security shit at Narita.
iirc you need to show it when you leave right?
>>
>>1597088
That must have been fantastic, I'd I think I would have got stage fright trying to speak in my broken Japanese. Did they try talking to you in English or are you good with Japanese?
I felt bit bad when I told him how I got my tickets and how he got his, I did got really lucky.
>>
>>1597115
Seems expensive, especially if thats americabux
But if you have the spare money and dont think you would just try and do it yourself then i guess it could be worth it.
If you do it come back here and tell us how it went.

>>1597117
>after dark
>Then cant see anything
Whats the point? unless you then sleep somewhere and spend the next day exploring
>>
>>1595432
>if I wanted to be afraid I was gonna be nuked id just go to Ukraine
are people genuinely this retarded?
>>
>go to Nara
>all these fatass overfed deer shitting all over the place
>smell coming through the gates next to todai-ji almost unbearable from the huge concentration of carb-laden deer shit
Such graceful creatures
>>
>>1597157
I can't do it by myself. There are gov checkpoints, and the JR obviously don't work anymore there. You would need a bike and know how to go using less know roads. If they catch you bye bye to enter Japan again in a few years.
I already paid and I will be with a private tour in a week. It's expensive yes, but in ten years most of it will be repaired/demolished. So now or never. Will upload a few pictures on the next thread if I remember it.
>>
File: IMG_20190424_113125.jpg (4.66 MB, 3840x2160)
4.66 MB
4.66 MB JPG
>>1597197
Should've went to Miyajima instead, the deer at Nara are cunts.
>>
>>1594866
I just came back from a group trip that visited several cities in the past 2 weeks. It was my first time visiting and I have been studying Japanese for 3 years so I can sort of talk to locals, ask questions and so on.

First time group traveling but I found out non of them were prepared; knew nothing of history, food etc. Most were bored out of their mind cause they couldn't communicate with anyone;
>why did they drop a bomb on Hiroshima
>why did Japan go to war
>what's gundam, I only watch my hero ac.
>what's hotpot
>museums are boring lmao
>I just bought 15 kpop cd's cause they seem cheaper

For a group holiday it felt kind of lonely cause it just felt people wanted to run from place to place, eat in between at tourist places and run back home to repeat the next day. My other friend who wanted to come along was sick of rice the 3rd day and only wanted to eat at the hotel from bread he bought at a bakery.

I think next time it is better to go alone.
>>
>>1597211
Ok yeah i guess its pretty serious business then. Fair enough. Just not sure it would be as exciting being guided like a tour, but if its the only way.
>>
>>1597225
Solo travel being the only option is the true red pill.
>>
>>1597225
>Most were bored out of their mind cause they couldn't communicate with anyone;
>why did they drop a bomb on Hiroshima
They clearly were actually mentally retarded. Not having fun would be nothing to do with not speaking japanese. I cant speak any and i have had an amazing 2 months total in the country.

Only one who isn't wrong is "My other friend who was sick of rice the 3rd day". Seriously why do they have so much plain rice with meals, bento boxes at conbinis, alongside your meal in a restaurant. Rice by itself is mediocre at best. Only place that had genuinely good rice were Gyudon places where the meat and onions and sauce actually go well through the rice and flavour it.

Overall you are correct, group holidays are never a good idea (except camping). Either solo or with 1 other person who you can spend lots of time with easily (but also be alright with seperating)

>>1597233
With 1 other that you get along perfectly with is in my opinion top tier.
I split my 2 japan holidays half with my sister half without (we get along like great bro/sis but also like best friends)
>>
>>1597154
She started talking Japanese to me (although I couldn't believe she addressed me directly at first) and asked if I can understand Japanese. I honestly answered that I can understand a little bit and am happy to be here.
I wish I was better at actually speaking because some fans came up to me after the show to congratulate me but language barrier got in my way.

>I'd I think I would have got stage fright trying to speak in my broken Japanese.
Well, not answering at least something would be the worst thing I could do, so somehow I managed to overcome all fear.
>I felt bit bad when I told him how I got my tickets and how he got his, I did got really lucky.
Due to random factor of seat assignment, you might never get good place like this ever, so don't feel bad. Japanese live shows are really an experience - from smallest bands to big names, from pop and seiyuu lives to various genres of metal, crowd and artists are always good.
>>
Are there any rules to how many times you can go into Japan on a tourist visa in a year? I have been thinking about visiting Japan a lot while working in my country. All I found was that you can only stay 180 days a year, so it I came 10 times with a 18 days during each visit would that be allowed? Or would immigration fuck me?
>>
>>1597235
>or with 1 other person who you can spend lots of time with easily

Solid advice I will take for the next trip.

I could understand why my friend hated rice at some point but there is something wrong with you imo if you want to eat both breakfast and lunch at the hotel alone in your room while you have so many options.

I guess I was annoyed with him specially in Tokyo when he didn't have anything to navigate with subway wise or other and sometimes mid day just wanted to go to the hotel and eat diner around there while the hotel itself was near the airport in a neighborhood without food that wasn't ramen or a supermarket. When asking him if he could find his way back he just started mumbling about noting down some stations on paper, so basically he couldn't figure out anything.

Lesson learned I guess.
>>
>>1596368
t. boomer tourist
>>
>>1597235
I envy you. I wish my sister wasn't such a cunt (I've cut contact with her for over half my life now) and that my brother wasn't such a lazy normie who only wants to go on vacations to sit on a beach for 2 weeks straight.

And my so-called best friend fell for the roastie meme and never hangs out with me anymore. Solo travel is my only option.
>>
>>1597225
>studying Japanese for 3 years
>group traveling. First time

Are you fucking retarded or just a 60yo boomer?
>>
>>1597248
Geez that sounds pretty annoying. I mean at least it doesn't affect you what he does (too much, other than worry about him i guess). But still why would they be like that? i don't understand the point. I could get not wanting to go to restaurants tons, so buying food at conbini often. But then to just go back to the hotel and eat there alone is weird.

>>1597285
Damn sorry to hear that mate.
I mean i definitely still enjoyed the solo sections a lot so its not like you have a bad time. But i'll admit there is something a little extra about going somewhere like that with someone you really get along with.
Hopefully you can find someone to travel with at some point.
>>
>>1597225
>>why did they drop a bomb on Hiroshima
>>why did Japan go to war
This is a yikes unless you're from tribal africa or something
>>
>>1597115
Fuck yeah do it. That's not much money.
>>
>>1597257
Well then tell me something trendy and fun to do, oh magnificent one.
>>
>>1597197
Did it get worse over time? I went there two years ago and it wasn't that bad. There was shit, yes, but no literal wall of stench to get through
>>
>>1597235
Same here, me and my sister get along super well and have a lot of the same interests, even the weirder super weeb stuff. We're planning on saving up our money in the coming year to then splurge it all on a Japan trip.
>>
>>1597407
>me and my sister get along super well and have a lot of the same interests, even the weirder super weeb stuff
Sounds like it's time for some incest
>>
>>1597404
I was there 3 weeks ago and it was fine, no stench at all really.
>>
>>1597438
>>1597438
>>1597438
>>1597438

New
>>
>>1597409
Nah, that's not one of her fetishes. She's mostly into pretty vanilla BL stuff.
>>
>>1597225
So you studied one of the most convoluted and useless languages in the world for 3 years just to travel in a group full of people you obviously don't give much of a shit about? You're the retarded one, not them.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.