[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 35 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

Will fucking off to South East Asia after I graduate to teach for a few years change my life?
>>
no
>>
>>1590177
vague
>>
>>1590176
Change it in what way?
>>
>>1590193
I hate my current life in UK suburbia - I hate my narc parents, I've been suicidal, my girlfriend left me, I just want to be born again and live a kind of Indiana Jones existence for a few years.
>>
>>1590176
"will literally changing my entire life change my life?"

you're stupid. your life will obviously change, but you will likely remain stupid throughout it.
>>
>>1590197
>live a kind of Indiana Jones existence

so do it. go to third world nations, go off the beaten path to where people still live like it's the 1800s.
avoid using electronics, avoid using the internet. smoke hashish in morocco or india. hang out getting quietly drunk in a cafe somewhere in south america. buy a dirt bike and go explore wherever.

do it.
>>
>>1590205
this is how i envisage it

is this a romanticisation?
>>
I’ll bite.

First off, which country do you want to teach in OP
>>
>>1590211
vietnam
>>
You don't want to raise your expectations too much; SEA is as trammeled as trammeled gets. There's not a beach on the continent that doesn't have a huge hotel blocking out the sun; there's a plastic bag and a drunk, drowning Aussie floating in every placid jungle pool.
That said I don't want to shit on your dreams. If you can wangle a position where you can contribute something and use your time well, I give mad props to you; you'll have had more success than I did. Just don't let yourself degenerate into blasé backpacker scum; don't end up that overweight, jobless 35-year-old on the roof of a backpacker hostel in Marrakech bragging between puffs on your joint about that time you drank snake blood in Bangkok.
>>
>>1590209
Yes. You'll get blisters and diarrhea and pneumonia and robbed. But that's also apart of the adventure.
>>
>>1590197
Dude fix your problems before you travel. Traveling can break you if you don't have a good mindset.

The reason why travelers have such high suicide rate is because they hope the travel will fix them and when they find out it doesn't they end their life.
>>
>>1590847
>travelers have such high suicide rate
Do...do they?
>>
>>1590868
Yep. I feel it too. Once you get out there and see that humanity is garbage everywhere and that no amount of teenage pussy and partying will bring you happiness, it becomes hard to ward off the sooner mindset.

Better than being a brainless sheltered npc fuck, since at least you have a good reason for wanting to kys.
>>
>>1590872
I've only met nice people while traveling and I'm a perma-virgin so I've learned to factor things other than getting laid into my overall sense of accomplishment. Sounds like you're projecting your own set of doomed postmodern values onto all travelers.
>>
>>1590874
I don't care about and didn't ask for your shitty opinion, literal incel. Your unique perspective as a mentally ill reject is valuable only to yourself.
>>
>>1590205
but how to make $$$?
>>
honestly i dont know how you could ever live in england and not be suicidal, everything about it just seems to suck
>>
File: IMG_20190321_170621.jpg (30 KB, 567x425)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>1590197
Travel will not fix preexisting contemplations of suicide. Getting away will be fun and probably good for you in the short term, BUT IT WILL NOT FIX YOY. Once you get back to a normal routine back home the depression will be there waiting for you to pick up where you've left off.
>>
>>1590879
>that literal incel is less of a bitter faggot than you
lmao
>>
>>1590176
No matter where you go, there you are. Your problems are unlikely to be WHERE you are, you need to work on WHO you are.

That said, the challenges of trying a different lifestyle in a different culture can be useful for bump-starting your ass to get to work on that. But where you travel to is the interesting new background for your life -- the new life is something you still need to make happen.
>>
>>1591794
i'm sorry but i don't think op was looking for your vague life-coaching bs.
>>
>>1591797
kek
Reddited
>>
No shut up faggot
>>
>>1590176

Absolutely OP; however, how old are you? If you are below 21 you should wait a few years. Don't be stupid about it either. Don't become a degenerate and embarrass us Whites abroad.

>>1590205

I like this guy.
>>
Travel only "changes" you if you make it so. Read the local lit, learn about the local people, so on and so on. If you just dick around in watering holes you may as well have just stayed home.
>>
>>1590205
this.
i'm 31 OP. travel was the highlight of my 20's, but it was fleeting. I wish I'd spent a few years, rather than a few weeks each year overseas.
>>
>>1590197
seen countless men (always men) of your type rock up in phnom penh, then appear again in the police funny pages six months later after swallow-diving from a not-too-high-rise hostel.

Establish firm and non-negotiable boundaries before you even get on the plane - too many folk can't handle the freedom.
>>
>>
>>1591982
why is it always men?>>1592182
elaborate please
>>
>>1591794

>Wherever you go, there you are
>But that's you in a new context, and that's not nothing

t. marc maron
>>
>>1590847

long term travel often breaks the few social bonds an isolated person has and makes them truly 100% alone
>>
>>1594050
boi I wonder
>>
Yes, you will waste several years toiling in a third world shithole for minimal compensation when you could be earning a much higher wage at home. When you inevitably return home you will be destitute and will than need to get a mcjob and spend several years building a career from scratch, instead of already being relatively financially secure and on a stable career path.
>>
>>1595244
This is why I travel. It works quite well. My mom didn’t even respond when I texted her on mother’s day.
>>
>>1590176
I say why not. It might be dumb if you have some good relationships or some career but otherwise home will always be waiting for you.
>>
>>1590202
Underrated post
>>
>>1595256
>When you inevitably return home you will be destitute and will than need to get a mcjob and spend several years building a career from scratch, instead of already being relatively financially secure and on a stable career path.
Literally me.
Had to spend too much of my 20s on and off homeless because of it. Finally on my way with a solid career choice, but I'm 30 and starting to feel like I'm losing the energy for life.
>>
>>1591654
I had the opposite experience. Girlfriend broke up with me lost my job so went overseas for 2 months for the first time alone, had some fun nights but i was bored 70% of the time. When I finally came back home I realised how much I actually liked my mediocre life and the company of my family two friends, once I was back all the depressing thoughts mostly vanished
>>
Possibly. Just make sure you put some startup money away that you won't touch for when you get back.

It definitely changed mine as I became more Alpha out there. Found my confidence, learned to stop putting women on a pedestal, learned to be wilder/more spontaenous, etc. Basically, I realized that if I act how I do when I'm traveling, but back home...I get the same results (make new friends, fuck hot women, have a fun life).

YMMV though as some people get sucked into the expat life and all of that. Nothing wrong with it, but you're sort of fucked when you're ready to move on from it.
>>
>>1590176
You will catch an incurable sexual disease and be changed permanently, yes.
>>
>>1590176
go but have a good plan for coming back.

I did it for one year in Japan and it was one of the best years of my life, then came back to the USA for med school, but still find ways to go back constantly. WHichever country you go to, learn the language and make lifelong friends.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.