[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 39 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

File: kenting-tpkq9eo8e6q21.jpg (183 KB, 1200x1600)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
Your thread for:
>night markets
>transportation
>bad oil
>computer parts
>shopping
>housing
>where to go
>what to see
>whom to do
in the Free and Independent Republic of Taiwan (a representative democracy not affiliated with the People's Republic of China).
>>
It was a big earthquake anon, biggest one i' have experienced so far in taiwan
>>
>>1578239
When did this earthquake even erupt? Also how strong was it?
>>
>>1578378

This afternoon, was a 6.1. I happened to be on top of Taroko on the Baiyang trail at that exact moment so the epicenter was basically directly below. Scary shit when you hear the fences vibrate and rocks start falling. Two Malaysians weren't as lucky and got smashed by some falling boulders on the Lushui trail. Had to get airlifted by helicopter since the roads were blocked by rockfall for a few hours. We were all stuck up there waiting for bus services to resume. I took a video of the rescue chopper landing in the carpark. If I figure out how to upload it I'll put it on here later if someone wants to see.
If I hadn't decided to sleep in for an extra hour and had taken the 6am bus instead of the 7:30 one I would have been on that exact same trail as the Malaysians at that time. Feel like I dodged a bullet today.
>>
>>1578378
In Taipei was quite strong, my furniture shaked a lot. Nothing was damaged though, but my taiwanese friends were little bit concerned.
>>
Earthquakes aside, what should I watch out for when I go to Taiwan in September? Dangerous foods, bad parts of town, shady women, rip offs, boring places, etc.
>>
>>1578429
Well, good thing is that nobody was severely injured at least. Still I've that there's a few more quakes that have erupted in parts of Mainland China as well.
>>
I’m going to Taiwan for a festival next week. I’m gonna be in the Hualien area when it’s finished. Are there any nice spots to spend maybe 4 days around there? I’m probably not going to the Taroko Gorge. Any tips are appreciated!
>>
>>1578476
Really nothing of the sort in Taiwan. Maybe taxi scams, but it’ll be obvious.
>>
>>1578378
>what is google
>what is the Taiwan Central Weather Bureau earthquake site

>>1578476
For a short stay you don't have to worry about much of anything. If you get into a fight with a local, expect all of his friends to jump in with him on beating you up. The temples tend to be run by gangsters, so don't get into any fights with the temple gang crowd.

>>1578902
I've never run into a taxi driver who was trying to scam anyone. Maybe a third of them are complete idiots, and absolutely none of them know how to read a map so don't even bother trying to show them something on Google Maps.
>>
Bumping the REAL Taiwan General thread because some stupid nigger tried to claimjump it with his own.
>>
>>1578216
that giraffe has such a short neck. That's so sad.
>>
>>1578409

I was there last August. Man I cant even imagine being on any trail during that. Nuts.

I was at the top of taipei 101 during a 4.0 earthquake, that was crazy.

Glad you are OK
>>
File: The-Taipei-101-With-Fog.jpg (109 KB, 1600x1058)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
Has any one lived in both Shanghai and Taipei? I'm moving to Shanghai for the money, but had my heart set on Taipei. If shit goes south, I'll just buy a ticket to Taipei and start again.
>>
>>1578409
Streamable.com
>>
>>1578476
>what should I watch out for when I go to Taiwan in September
September is the wettest month of the year. There is also the possibility of typhoons. You should wait until November/December
>>
>>1579946
>also the possibility of typhoons
Those are a bonus. I love typhoon days. Sleep in, eat the traditional can of tuna with crackers, shitpost on /trv/, what's not to love?
>>
Can anyone recommend any good bars or eateries in Taipei? Only there for 3 days before heading to Hualien for Organik festival.
>>
>>1580288
Le Fumoir is a great scotch bar.

I really like Zhuji for taking visitors for a Taiwanese meal. Shin Yeh is ok. Din Tai Fung is Din Tai Fung.
>>
>>1578871
Go to the fuckin gorge dummy.
>>
Anyone else feeling all the little earthquakes tonight? Literally a dozen or so.
>>
>>1578871
Hualien isn't that amazing desu. Go to the World Inn for the best coffee ever. Gorge is really a must. My Taiwanese girlfriend was attacked my a rock macaque there so be careful. The locals stone them.
There's the big ass night market which sells fried duck head, indigenous alcohol, fried sandwich and has comfy buskers.
>>
>>1580288
Go to ximen for drinks. It's mostly the LGBT community but the places have all you can drink for like $30aud/NT$600.

Try all the local places for Lu Rou Fan. Absolutely DELICIOUS. Can't fuckin replicate the taste back home
>>
>>1584455
Kaohsiung has a LOT of white people. Apart from ximen, we saw more there than Taipei desu
>>
File: 1554826715235.jpg (37 KB, 720x900)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>1584455
>>1584466
Hualien. And white people there are actually willing to acknowledge each other with a little smile and a nod, like hey cool we're all in this together.

Taipei, we all ignore each other because what the fuck are all these white people doing in MY Taipei? Also, there are a lot of niggers in Taipei nowadays, mostly Africans from the few countries there that still have diplomatic relations with Taiwan, but also a lot of Ameriniggers who are busy trying to impregnate all the dumbest sluts.
>>
Fuck this makes me wanna go back so bad. Can't wait for CNY2020
>>
>>1578216
What are the best destinations to surf on the east coast?
>>
I want to bring my partner to Chinese culture. I am quite familiar with mainland China, and just a tiny bit of Taiwan.
Now, I know mainland has a lot of bad/boring shit and I am not a huge fan, even though I love the more remote areas (mountains in Yunnan/Sichuan, etc). But I am not sure whether Taiwan or mainland China would be a better starting point for introduction to Chinese culture? I know Taiwan is somehow more traditional without mainland retardedness, but I fear it's a bit too small if we want to do something full blown History/nature?
Yeah, mainland China has a shitton of History for obvious reasons but the cities are boring as fuck. My partner wants a new travel experience. Wonder if Taiwan is fun and different enough to btfo someone who never left Europe apart for going to Japan?
>>
>>1578871
I was at organik as well
>>
>>1584466
I dont know if serious but thats NOT the case. Lots of chinese tourists tho
>>
Is Din Tai Fung a tourist trap?
>>
>>1585926
Your boyfriend would probably get icky about squat toilets in China. Taiwan is a good introduction to Asia in that it's clean and first world and just a little bit foreign feeling. In terms of history, it's lacking, but the food is good, the night markets are interesting the first few times (they all sell the same shit, but you won't tire of them in just a night or two), and the traffic has a little bit of that chaotic Asian vibe.

Taiwan's more gay friendly anyways, homobro.
>>
File: P1000192.jpg (5.95 MB, 4896x3672)
5.95 MB
5.95 MB JPG
>>1586201
did you come across the giant autist at all?

thought he was just on the wrong drugs but started seeing him everywhere and gradually getting the impression his tent was decorated with intestines

some good sets but I'm still recovering from the lack of sleep
>>
Is Lao Wang in Tao Yuan still alive?
>>
>>1578216

is it better to go to hong kong or taipei?
>>
>>1588669

Upping this - I’ve the same question.

Looking to go to either place by mid may; haven’t booked shit yet (its fine I’m a SEA-bro so planning this shouldn’t take more than a day)

Would like to know which is preferential foodwise, culture wise and scene wise. Also great if you could provide drinking spots.
>>
>>1588669
>>1588726
/trv/ always shits on me for saying this, but to me Taipei all the way. I mean I'm glad I've been to Hong Kong, and it's always good to see my friends there, but Taipei I find simply more fun even if you just end up going there alone. Always something happening, amazing food, enough sights to keep your itinerary filled, people who are genuinely friendly. HK I would only recommend if you really miss Western culture a lot. Taipei is also pretty easy to process for Westerners, but it still feels a little more like you're actually in Asia compared to Hong Kong. Food is great in both places, but it's cheaper to eat amazing food in Taipei.
>>
>>1588669
>>1588726
Maybe it's just because I reside in Taiwan, but I find Honkers a lot more interesting and fun. Taiwan is a backwater.

Taiwan: gray old dilapidated concrete buildings because we're gonna retake the mainland any day now!

Honkers: glass skyscrapers and light shows.

Taiwan: it's illegal to own a boat or airplane because you might smuggle stuff from China

Honkers: IS China

Taiwan: Nobody has any money, practically everyone eats a crappy 50NT lunch box.

Honkers: Dozens of Michelin-star restaurants.

Taiwan: just walking from Dingxi MRT to work, I pass by four separate shoe stores all selling the same shit. That's within just a few blocks, not some miles-long hike. Clothing stores, the same brand has nine hundred tiny little bathroom-sized stores all over the city. And yet I cannot find a single place that sells certain common hobby-shop items. Because nobody does sell them at a retail level anywhere in the entire fucking island. Because it's much more important to have 900 "LA New" outlet shops than it is to have 899 "LA New" outlet shops and one fucking serious R/C modeling shop somewhere in the entire country. I can buy an entire fucking shipping container full of the same part if I want to buy wholesale from the factory in Taichung, but I cannot buy a 100-count box or a 4-count baggie.

Honkers: they actually comprehend the notion of product differentiation in retail sales.

Taiwan: ZERO English on their sales websites, you cannot even use some major websites because they (for no reason whatsoever) require you to enter a valid Taiwan ID number and foreigners get a slightly different formatted ARC number that WILL NOT VALIDATE. Try to contact the company and NOBODY IN SALES SPEAKS ENGLISH. If you miraculously get passed down to some schlub who knows a few words, they have no authority to sell to you and won't make any money if they do, so they put in zero effort.

Honkers: hey buddy, you wanna buy stuff?!??!?! HERE, BUY FROM MEEEEE!!!
>>
My wife and I will be going to Taiwan this August. Don't know a lick of Chinese, and don't know shit about modern Taiwan in general. We like:
>eating good ass food
>eating good ass food
>eating eating eating eating
>eating cheap
and don't like:
>touching dirty peasants
>crowded tourist traps

What are /trv/'s based recs?
>>
So I lived in china a year and now I am in Taiwan for a year to work. I really want to continue learning Mandarin and want to talk to locals as much as possible but people here don't seem as nosy as in China and much more willing to speak in English. How are some ways I can maximize my speaking with strangers here? I pass as a local (Mexican)
>>
>>1588818
>ZERO English on their sales websites, you cannot even use some major websites because they (for no reason whatsoever) require you to enter a valid Taiwan ID number and foreigners get a slightly different formatted ARC number that WILL NOT VALIDATE. Try to contact the company and NOBODY IN SALES SPEAKS ENGLISH.
Learn chinese and quit being such a whiny faggot.

Do you complain because your shithole home country doesn't offer Belarusian customer support?
>>
How easy is it to date an Taiwan girl? Thinking about fliying to Taipei (or any other city in Thaiwan) for that reason.

It has worked in Thailand before, I am tall, blonde, have light skin and I am not fat. But I tend to have the autism.
>>
>>1592422
>Taiwan is trash if you want something related to history
Other than the National Palace Museum, which has the best Chinese artifacts (especially because Mao had everything that was left behind destroyed during his "Cultural Revolution"), the authentic folk religion stuff (eradicated by Mao during the CR), the use of traditional characters (banned by Mao because he didn't want the mainlanders to read their own historical documents and textbooks), and so on and so forth.
>>
File: honkler-rorschach.jpg (43 KB, 960x600)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>1593383
KMT: elect us so that we sell out your future to China so that we can grovel our way into political positions in your new S.A.R. government and continue to rule over you in permanent unelected positions.

DPP: clown world TBQPH. Unmarried cat lady is president, refuses to refurbish or build nuclear power plants so electricity costs are going to triple after 2025, no coherent policies or plans. I think the nuclear shutdown is the only thing they've delivered on.
>>
>>1593383
BTW me >>1595092 again.

Of the two I have to give the nod to the DPP, they at least aren't murderous psychotic robots who exploited the peasants under the mantra of "we will retake the mainland!" until they finally gave up and made their slogan "we will fuck you over and subjugate you to the mainland just so we can stay in power!"

The DPP may be clown world but at least they're more or less honest in their intentions. The KMT absolutely destroyed Taiwan's future and the ONLY reason the KMT managed not to turn the place into North Korea was that they couldn't maintain their stranglehold after the mid-1980s. Once Mao was gone and Deng Xiaoping stopped China from constantly destroying itself, the KMT no longer had any way to keep up any of their pretenses -- no more retaking the mainland, no more representing the left-behind people, no more killing anyone who wanted free elections.

Now the only things the KMT is any good at are hiding all the money it stole, buying votes from all the minority groups it set aside legislative seats for, and selling out Taiwan by conducting backdoor negotiations with Xi's government in China.

If the KMT win back control ever again, it'll be the end of Taiwan. They'll sell the whole island out under "one country two systems" and hold sham elections just like in HK where they're the only party allowed.
>>
>>1593429
Other way around, dipshit. My Taiwanese coworkers have very little problem reading simplified; the mainland Chinks can barely even figure out their own simplified characters, forget about the glorious history of Chinese literature or the beauty of traditional characters.
>>
>>1595097
Both can read the other scripts. You’re the massive retard.
>>
>>1595097
>glorious history of Chinese literature
chink lit is for fags, i can’t believe anyone can like chink shit for real
>>
>>1595096
This is why I will never understand why people think the KMT were the “good guys”. Both commies and nationalists were terrible. China was screwed either way it went.
>>
>>1595107
Taiwanese people don’t have any genuine interest in Chinese history anyway. They just pretend they’re more traditional to make their Mandarin classes seem more appealing and to get people to spend bucks on their museums. They seem to know more about Japanese culture than whatever their ancestors did on the mainland.
>>
>>1595110
well duh they don’t seem themselves as chinese and have been doing desinicization for decades now. i even know some taiwanese han who LARP as indigneous formosans LMAO
>>
File: xnf2ahgmphy21.jpg (276 KB, 1638x1228)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>1595108
The KMT were originally a pro-communist party. They only moved away from that after the mid-1920s. It didn't help that Stalin basically held Chiang's son hostage because Chiang had been stupid enough to send the kid to the USSR for schooling.

Anyway, if it hadn't been for the KMT being pissed off about losing the mainland, Taiwan would probably have been forcibly assimilated by the Maoists. So in that sense they were "good". It's a pretty narrow claim to "goodness", though -- "not quite as bad as the fucktards who killed a hundred million of their own population".
>>
File: 11-93.jpg (74 KB, 800x500)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>1595147
>>1595160
Half the stories in the news about those SEA monkey hookers is that they tested positive for HIV after being caught selling sex to hundreds of men.

So, enjoy your AIDS I guess?
>>
hey im interested in going to long dong to do some climbing but was wondering whether i might get eaten alive by one of those spiders. are they everywhere in the countryside and are they dangerous?
>>
File: 1555348513301.gif (1.88 MB, 498x280)
1.88 MB
1.88 MB GIF
>>1595830
The spiders are all over the cities too. Just carry a can of Raid around with you, you'll be fine. A squirtgun filled with rubbing alcohol also works.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.