[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: fear-of-flying.jpg (800 KB, 1945x1298)
800 KB
800 KB JPG
How does /trv/ deal with fear of flying?

I have flown dozens of times, however in the last couple, let's say five years, it got worse and worse

for me it is the combination of fear of height and powerlessness inside a plane

leaving for a 2,5h flight saturday, however I'm already thinking about not going due to the sleepless nights I'm having over this. Any Anons with similar problems?
>>
File: 1529875530352.jpg (35 KB, 472x480)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>1540014
I take Ativan and still freak the fuck out.
Visiting /trv/ to try and hype myself up for traveling but just the prospect of having to fly stresses me out.
>>
You must let go
>>
>>1540014
By never looking outside and watching stupid silly cartoons with the inflight entertainment.
>>
>>1540014
>>1540030
I have a 15-hour-flight from Brazil to Germany than a 15-hour-flight from Germany to Japan.
>>
>>1540130

In your case be grateful about leaving your favela in uptown macacolandia for the literal safest country in the entire world
>>
>>1540133
I was just trying to help OP feel better about his own flight.
>>
>>1540014
I used to be mad afraid of flying I just embraced the hopelessness and decided that if I died in an airplane crash then that'd just be it so it doesnt even matter
>>
>>1540014
I just took a ~24 hour train journey to avoid a 1.5 hour flight.
But I'll say it's not so much a big fear of flying, though it does make me a bit uncomfortable especially in the time leading up to it, but the whole airport hassle bullshit. Fuck airports with a rake.
>>
>>1540014
I have faith in the built in systems being able to easily compensate for the most incompetent of pilots.
>>
>>1540165
How much of an airplane's performance relies on systems as opposed to the pilot's skill?
>>
>>1540157
>but the whole airport hassle bullshit. Fuck airports with a rake.

Amen to that.
>>
>>1540014
I don't particularly like heights, but I suppose I get the powerless aspect. It isn't nearly as bad as you think; statistically speaking flying is incredibly safe. I teach people how to fly planes, AMA if you want.
>>
>>1540177
>AMA if you want.

-> >>1540170
>>
>>1540188
>>1540170
Aircraft performance has some to do with the pilot, some to do with the design and construction. Decision making, on the other hand, rests entirely with the pilots; determination of whether a situation is safe or not, when to proceed or when to delay a flight due to the conditions, when and how to change the routing in flight, etc. Pilot skill is most relevant during landing. This is where technique and precision dominate, and it depends on the person at the controls and whether the conditions are within, at, or beyond their personal limits. Also, understand that just because a landing is bumpy or a little rough doesn't mean it was bad; sometimes its the best option, and the safest, especially in crosswinds.
>>
>>1540211
Thank you very much for the explanation.
I have 3 additional questions.
What's the most pants-shitting moment you had in your career?

Also, what's your preferred airline?

Does pilot skill vary a lot from airline to airline or is there no such thing?
>>
>>1540232
Teaching people to land is always a bit scary. There is a very small window on the order of around 5-7 seconds where they can make or break the landing, and nobody starts out making good landings. During some demo stalls for one of my new hire flights I brought power to idle and the engine quit. In a single engine plane over mountainous terrain that’s not too good. I got it started again probably 15 seconds after and we just headed back.

I like Alaska Airlines.

Yes. Different company cultures will produce different standards among the pilots. Major airlines like Delta, American, Southwest, etc. mainly consist of experienced pilots with plenty of time. Regional airlines like Mesa, Skywest, Envoy, etc will have less experienced pilots. International airlines are hit or miss.
>>
>>1540276
Very nice read, thank you for your collaboration mate.

I personally like JAL and Lufthansa, haven't flown any American airline yet.
>>
>>1540014
You have a better chance of dying during the car ride to/from the airport than dying in an aviation disaster. Aviation disasters are more sensational then fatal car accidents, which happen all the time, so the media reports on them more and you are more afraid of them.

Not being afraid of flying has to do with the realization that you do not have nearly as much control over the circumstances in your life then you believe you do. Just accept it and enjoy the flight.
>>
Friendly reminder that phobias are generally irrational
>>
You sound exactly like me, I flew 24 hour flights all the time from the age of 2 up until 20 and then developed a phobia for god knows what reason.

Things I do to help me get through it:
- Valium from the Dr, down a couple of those before you get on and keep dosing ("responsibly") so you don't sober up. 1 or 2 drinks helps
-Don't fly cheap airlines, If theres an option Malaysia Airlines or Qantas even if i have to pay an extra $200 for Qantas I'll take it for the peace of mind.
-Remind myself the statistics of safety about planes
-Watch movies zonked out on Valium and Alcohol.
-Tell myself that if I die, that at least people will remember me in a positive light (lol at this one but its true).

This may sound over the top and people are going to call me a pussy but this is flying AUS > Europe usually so its a long flight, short flights I just man up
>>
>>1540363
>alcohol + opioids

Enjoy your respiratory depression, dumb fuck.
>>
>>1540376
Well that's awkward for you considering its not an opiate
>>
>>1540376
gay
>>
I love when airplanes have turbulence. Because I know how safe they are, and the odds of one going down are infinitesimal.
>airplane has turbulence
>turn to the guy next to me and say this is fine, I fly all the time
>turbulence continues
>I look nervously at the wings
>tell my neighbor this isnt normal
>take out my wallet and look at family photos
>start whispering to them like "I'm sorry, baby. I'm not gonna make it to your graduation."
>>
>>1540276
OP here again

Quiet frankly, I have always been and still am very confident in the pilot's skills. It is not that, but rather the fear of them doing something nuts, e.g. the Germanwings plane whose pilot kamikazi'd a year ago
>>
>>1540157
>I just took a ~24 hour train journey to avoid a 1.5 hour flight.
Very understandable, I think bus/car/train is superior because you visually are able to follow your voyage. Plains have a very surreal touch in that regard, you don't really move, you enter a room somewhere and exit it elsewhere
>>
>>1540786
Extremely rare. It takes a long time and a lot of effort to get into the cockpit of an airliner. There are much more cost-effective ways of terrorism than getting your ATP and type rated in a commercial jet with a scheduled carrier lol.
>>
>>1540363
I never had any fear of flying but now in my early 30s I fucking hate the landings. I just imagine that one of these times the plane will veer off the runway and crash into another plane or something. I think it started when I went to Toronto on this tiny little Air Canada Prop plane for work. There were just three other passengers, a pilot and a copilot and no door between us and the cockpit. The landing on the trip back home to Hartford was windy and we yawed left and right pretty drastically before landing and it ruined me for landings.
>>
>>1540014
Poorly.
It's fucking horrible There's nothing beneath you holding you up and you're 100% dependent on a stranger to get you down safely.
>>
>>1541606
That's interesting the landing and take off is always the least scary part for me I have this really stupid and illogical idea that if the plane broke apart and dropped me out on the runway or something that I'd be justified and I could run away and be all right but the truth is as you all know take off and landing is the most dangerous part of flying but the sight of ground brings me comfort in a primal way that I can't really explain rationally.
>>
File: video1.webm (2.32 MB, 854x480)
2.32 MB
2.32 MB WEBM
>>1541606
>>1541614
>>1540014
>>
File: video2.webm (2.37 MB, 854x480)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB WEBM
>>1541817
>>
File: 25e[1].png (787 KB, 808x805)
787 KB
787 KB PNG
>>1541817
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>1540640
savage
>>
File: 1533592249062.webm (1.08 MB, 638x360)
1.08 MB
1.08 MB WEBM
>>1541817
>>
>>1542378
big if true.
>>
>>10/10 wasnt expectin that lol
>>
>>1540790
>very understandable
fucking kek, my family and most of my peers think I'm dumb as hell for doing so. Only my wife and an aunt of mine understand me because they also don't like flying.

That said, I don't know if I'd get to the point of making such a journey by car or bus. The train is reasonably comfortable over night, because I take a sleeper.
>>
>>1540014
It's uncomfortable but people always bring up how safe it is statistically, it helps if you literally imagine how many flights go in and out of your local airport daily then imagine that many flights out of every airport in the world and how few crashes you hear about.
>>1540122
also this

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.