[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 43 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

Why is Hawaii so popular for Japanese people? I was under the impression that Japanese people don't travel and would rather stay in their comfort zone.
>>
>>1513980
A few Japanese are trailblazers.
>>
>>1513980
They see it as a middle ground, not really America and not really Japan. If you ask if they've been to America they'll say no even if they've been to Hawaii.
>>
>>1513980
Because they have to take a 14 hour flight to get to mainland USA, whereas Hawaii is much closer.
>>
>>1513980
Returning to the scene of the crime.
>>
mainland is 10 hours away and hawaii is like 7 and some change
>>
japanese think lesser of other asian countries and would rather go to america instead
the amount of tourist infrastructure for them there doesn't push them out of their comfort zone much
japanese is the largest self reported ancestry in hawaii
>>
>>1514157
>Japanese think lesser of other Asian countries
Thailand, Singapore, Taiwan, South Korea and increasingly Indonesia and Malaysia are popular travel destinations for the Japanese, who hype the culture and traditions of those countries about as much as a Goa backpacker.
Even the Japanese have plenty of people who go to India to "find themselves".

The Japanese are, if anything, possessed of an inferiority complex about their own country, as you'd know if you'd actually been out there and talked to a few.
The occupation era and the US' long-standing status as both the greatest importer of Japanese products and the tacit watchdog with military bases all over the country has instilled a kind of silent conviction that Japan is "only an island country", and combined with the aftermath of the Bubble still not being over, going overseas is seen as extravagant, almost preposterous.
There's also a lot of stuff about how that worn-down national identity and face culture affect actual English-speaking ability, which in the end means that Japanese tourists default to Hawaii because it has a Japanese-speaking infrastructure and plenty of Japanese people lived there even before the war. There's also a rather different culture and a lot of sun, sand and nature that you have to go to Okinawa to see in Japan.

And as >>1514008 says, not all Japanese keep to safe vacations and those who don't often do crazy shit like trekking Africa thin with a single camel or luggage car.
The Japanese aren't "serious" or "conformist" as much as they just place a very strict dividing line between "work" and "play". No one's going to put in a huge amount of work for an adventure vacation unless they're really passionate about traveling, in which case they emphatically will, because one is relaxation and the other is your ambition.
>>
>>1514157

Interestingly, the Japanese students I talk to at the university of Hawaii know very little about the history of Japanese immigration to Hawaii. It's always a shock to them to find out that a third of Hawaii's population was Japanese when they hit pearl harbor.
>>
>>1513980
It shows you are rich. It's a social status thing not anything else
>>
>>1513980
>>1514044
They think they won at Pearl Harbor.
>>
>>1514107
Just like all these Amricans at PeaceMuseum in Hiroshima.
>>
>>1514624
This. As poor Nippon goes to Thailand and Indonesia.
>>
>>1513980
Because they think it's theirs
>>
>>1514623
Doesn't their education system gloss over WWII anyways?
>>
>>1514008
shopping at ala moana and doing diamondhead hike. Wow such trailblazers. Almost all the japanese that visit hawaii just go to the beach at waikiki and the most tourist areas imaginable.
>>
>>1514623
>>1516065
Why the fuck are Amerifats obsessed with WW2?
>>
>>1516121
I mean it is literally their countries single achievement or conflict where they were doing the closest to an objectively right thing. America is that washed up boomer who wont shut up about his band in college. It was a good band. They met Led Zepplin. But nobody cares because he wont shut up.
>>
>>1516121
It's their "Global Domination" pass card. Except we're supposed to be grateful about it.
Just one look at that card and we're supposed to say, "thank you sir, may I have another air strike, for libburdee?"
>>
First non-retarded answer: Hawaii has always been a major travel destination for Japanese. The food is similar, you can get around almost anywhere using only Japanese and it's regarded as the #1 honeymoon destination which helps to add to its popularity.

Recently Okinawa has overtaken Hawaii when it came to domestic tourists tho
>>
>>1516275
>Recently Okinawa has overtaken Hawaii when it came to domestic tourists tho
How can Hawaii be a destination for a DOMESTIC tourists? Unless I crossed timelines all of the sudden..
>>
>>1516275
The Japanese aren't very innovative or adventurous are they?
>>
>>1516278
domestic as in Japanese. More Japanese traveled to Okinawa than to Hawaii in 2017.
>>1516281
depends on the person. From the general populace: no. They don't have nearly enough time off to explore things beyond Japan as getting anywhere requires flying. There's plenty of people who venture to other adventurous countries however,
>>
>>1516281
Japanese and asian people are generally very very predictable and set in routines. Shit like this is common
>high class trip
LA + Disney world or Hawaii
>upper class trip
West coast america Private stay for a weekend in an ryokan
>middle class
Disneyworld in tokyo or okinawa
>lower class
okinawa/local beach

Europe doesn't exist to Japanese outside London, Korea is why bother, and china is worrisome. It's not about what you do when you go on vacation it's about the destination. Most Japs would be fine going to Hawaii for a week, going out for lunch and supper and spending 90% of the time in the hotel room posting on their phone to line.
>>
>>1516121
>>1516255
>>1516256
Stay mad, paupers
>>
>>1516361
its a bit cookie cutter, but at the same time, they have limited time

they saved their money, it's their choice to spend it. 99% of caucasian people that are capable of saving money and married spend it the same, at high class resorts in disneyland. the difference is that caucasians are kind of dumb and aren't good at saving money (or staying married)

you'd be dumb to take your children to marrakech
>>
>>1516361
>Europe doesn't exist to Japanese outside London
Frenchfag living in Lyon here, I beg to differ. I hear Japanese in the streets every few weeks or so. I'm actually surprised about this because Lyon isn't that relevant in the grand scheme of things, but nips definitely love coming to France, mostly in Paris but also in province too.
Also I was in Rome last week and I shared a hostel room with three guys from Osaka.
>>
Sri Lanka seems to get a lot of Japanese traffic. The locals can speak a surprising amount of Japanese, and even use it by default when they see east Asian tourists.
>>
>>1516121
Because it's arguably the one they least fucked up.

>Vietnam
They lost.

>Korea
It didn't technically end, and many South Koreans resent Americans for the divide it caused.

>Iraq/Middle East
Many people have a poor impression of it.

>WW2
Um yeah, they helped defeat Hitler or whatever.
>>
You guys think its possible to sleep with a female Japanese tourist
>>
>>1516491
Only if she's married. Most female Japanese tourists are actually sex tourists looking to get laid.
>>
>>1516377
>T.nip or weeb
>>
>>1516415
>Sri Lanka
Why go there? It is a literal shit hole
>>
>>1516530
It's actually not as bad as I initially thought. It's far from great, I agree with you on that, but it's also far from the worst.

If I had to choose between a decade in Sri Lanka, or a week in India, I would still choose Sri Lanka, hands down.
>>
>>1516533
Christ, I sat next to a Sri Lankan on the train from Paris to Rotterdam and the guy smelled like literal shit, was old but had creepy pics/vids of young girls on his phone and kept rubbing my arm. Never again.
>>
>>1516496
Is this a meme or true? If it is true that is fucking sad. Do they have so little respect for their spouses?
>>
File: 31(1).jpg (217 KB, 1274x512)
217 KB
217 KB JPG
>>1516540
Japanese Women either only have a physical interest in you due to fetishism. Or because they are projecting their rom-com fantasies on you from numerous western romance films she has seen. They literally call this "white guys are gentleman" and they have unrealistic expectations like you giving roses and getting on your knee kissing their hands like in some weird anime. There is also a stereotype that American men are oversexualized animals because every single older woman (married or not) is going to approach you for sex and if you refuse they get angry and tell you that it's free and even grab you by the arm trying to force you in since they can't possibly comprehend that you have emotions and feelings since you are just some non-human gaijin in their eyes.
>>
>>1516496
Do you have any proof of this claim
>>
>>1516403
Well it's a damn shame that ain't an argument since you might have had a point
>>
>>1516567
You are in every thread that has to do with Japan saying the same thing without any evidence.
>>
>>1516403
You met a rare breed then, most of japanese people rarely go to europe due to shit exchange rates to the euro and not really knowing all that much.
>>
>>1516121
I agree, but fuck literally every other country on the planet when they think they are any less war-mongering and violent than the states. Especially europoors.
>>
>>1516860
>I agree, but fuck literally every other country on the planet when they think they are any less war-mongering and violent than the states.
What about Switzerland.
>>
>>1517130
Super jews who run a bank masquerading as a country?
At least they did the red cross.
>>
>>1516809
Refute my argument
>>
>>1513980
Japanese girls go on 'working holidays' to escape from the reality of daily Japanese work-slave life and the pressure to be married before 25.

They always pick Australia or Hawaii.

Wish I lived in one of those places because of the endless supply of fresh manko washing up on the shores.
>>
>>1516567
Dude did you turn my text into a pasta? Anyway while still true that is out of context.

Truth is married life in Japan is usually devoid of sex as both husband and wife have tons of affairs outside of their marriage. The older women usually go for white guys for the same reasons middle aged white women make trips to jamaica and africa. They think they can score relatively tall well endowed men for their hardcore sexual fetishes. I personally even knew of one rich Japanese women in her 50s that actually paid a late teens/early 20s white kid as a kind of "sugar mommy" relationship where she paid his rent and gave him gifts and everything all the while she was married of course.
>>
>>1517787
Source on all of this?
>>
>>1517787
Don't Japanese men cheat on their wives because their livelihood depends on it?

I often hear that Japanese salarymen have to jump through weird hoops to appease their boss, including but not limited to hanging out after work.
And hanging out after work can include drinking themselves silly, making them into the buttmonkey of the group (making them sing silly songs while dancing), and going to a brothel & fucking a prostitute paid for by the boss. All because they're terrified of being fired.

To me, it seems like Japanese women cheat for pleasure, and Japanese men cheat to (paradoxically) maintain a family.
>>
>>1518060
>To me, it seems like Japanese women cheat for pleasure, and Japanese men cheat to (paradoxically) maintain a family.
Any proof of this? Not doubting you, but I sorta want to read more into this.
>>
>>1514805
No.
I went there to catch Pokemon with Go.
>>
>>1518167
The drinking work culture is true to the experience of all native japanese people I know

Ive never heard about being :"forced" to go to soapland or a prostitute
>>
>>1518167
no. but I hope you don't think vice or some shock doc is proof

I'm sure it happens. japan has naerly no legal issues regarding job 'harassment'

on the other hand, japanese people are generally very conservative and shy. most could never do something like that in front of their colleagues. they generally try to hide much less scandalous things than that from their colleagues
>>
>>1516743
Refute me
>>
>>1517787
>Truth is married life in Japan is usually devoid of sex as both husband and wife have tons of affairs outside of their marriage.
Absolutely disgusting. I don't understand how one could live like this with another person in one house. Unless you purely married for money of course.
>>
>>1518956
>Unless you purely married for money of course.
Literally every Asian marriage ever.
>>
>>1513980
Because it's like going to America without leaving the Asian pacific and without the travel lag that comes with going to mainland America.
>>
>>1513980
The sushi made with spam is kinda cute
>>
>>1518060
This is kind of common in all Asian culture, but it’s dying out in a big way.
Particularly the KTV girls from your boss thing, that’s now only gifts for partners not underlings
>>
>>1513980
>Why is Hawaii so popular for Japanese people?
It's tropical, """America"""" and it's full of Japanese people so they feel more comfortable about not being able to speak English.
Japanese get almost no time off of work, so they only ever spend 2-3 nights somewhere, which makes their popular destinations like Hawaii, Guam, Korea and sometimes Cairns perfect.
>>
>>1517787
>I personally even knew of one rich Japanese women in her 50s that actually paid a late teens/early 20s white kid as a kind of "sugar mommy" relationship where she paid his rent and gave him gifts and everything all the while she was married of course.
Expand on this more, please.
>>
>>1520261
You just need anon to wait to make up more larp ideas and there you go
>>
>>1520275
Truth hurts
>>
>>1519214
What?
>>
>>1514107
Don't a few pay them respects?
>>
>>1516809
Stop lying ffs

Düsseldorf is the City with most japs per capita in Europe and they are everywhere
>>
There's also a large community of japs in Brazil I heard.
>>
>>1513980
Going to big island for a week starting saturday. Is the jap thing mostly honolulu or will i need to go out of my way on BI to avoid japanese culture?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.