[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • Maximum file size allowed is 8192 KB.
  • Images greater than 10000x10000 pixels are not allowed.
  • There are 44 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

I just got back from a trip to Central Asia, including Samarkand, Uzbekistan. Why does no one anywhere mention that Samarkand is a complete shithole? It was literally like being in Afghanistan. Muddy with rocks everywhere and trash littering the street.
What places have you been that you got there and thought “holy shit, This place is a dump.”
>>
Thailand. Everywhere smells like sewage. The people are all semi-retarded. Their religious shrines are just shitty pillars with bits of colored broken glass pressed in to form patterns, or a giant clay statue that people actually pay for bits of gold leaf to smear on top. You can't drink the water there, it's basically minimally-treated sewage coming out of the pipes, it's brown and it smells bad. The women are just out to scam foreign guys into marriage so they can live in the luxury of a British council flat with an alcoholic itinerant carpenter for the rest of their lives.

Only saving grace is that you can buy a dozen women for a giant all-night fuckfest in your hotel room for about a hundred pounds.

One day I was walking over to a grocery store to buy some food and saw a guy standing in waist-deep raw sewage to clean out a sewage line blockage. No protection equipment because why bother he's Thai. FFS, for all I know that was the clean-water main.
>>
>>1503916
>What places have you been that you got there and thought “holy shit, This place is a dump.”

LA, I was super excited to go after seeing a lot of things about it figured I'd go all over and have a great time. Got, traffic non stop, bums all around, always an unsafe feeling, noise everywhere, expensive as shit english pubs, and mediocre spots crowded with tourists. It was nothing like what I expected and I don't care to return
>>
>>1503965
>going to Thailand to pay for the privilege of fucking an ugly woman
I will never understand this. Cannot you just attract a local uggo?
>>
>>1503965
That’s why you stay at the beach
Have fun in bongistan
>>1503968
I agree
t. LA fag
>>
>>1503916
Hangzhou

Spent 3 days trying to find a meal that wasn't a giant bowl of slop with massive oil layer on top. Cigarette smoke everywhere, even taxi drivers smoke inside their car, driving is dangerous, everyone yelling and spitting.

Granted, I don't speak any Chinese but holy fuckballs. I'd rather spend a month in Kathmandu than a week in Hangzhou.

I always imagined Kathmandu to be a giant shithole before I went, and infrastructure/poverty-wise it certainly is that, but for some reason I clicked with the people quite well there so I enjoyed my time thoroughly despite the grime. People make a place what it is. Which is why I'll add Singapore to my list of shitholes, despite how advanced it is. Nation of overpaid autists, can't fucking stand them.
>>
>>1503916
We've said that several times. I always mention it in any central asian / uz thread
>>
>>1504311
I wish I would have seen those threads. I got back Sunday and I just keep thinking about how miserable it was. I need to go somewhere else soon to cleanse my palate.
>>
>>1503916
>Cuba

So many people go to Cuba and say how amazing it is and nearly glamorize communism. Especially Havana, in the last 5-10 years I've seen it listed in so many of those "must visit" lists. I went there a few years back and Havana was run down, it was grimy and falling apart everywhere. The people were assholes too, I found them to be fairly friendly in other parts of the country, but in Havana they were just assholes who wanted money out of tourists.
>>
>>1503916
What is your pic related?
>>
>>1504322
>grimy
>run down
>falling apart
You'll get your McD's and Pizza Hut and loud mouth cunts swarming all over the place pretty soon. Don't worry. In the meantime, enjoy something that is not designed solely to relieve you of your money.
>>
>>1504331
not him but Shah-i-Zinda.

>>1503916
thing is as a whole Samarkand is ugly. It still has some amazing sights like the one mentioned, The big mosque and the Registan but the city has no soul. Bukhara and Khiva on the other hand also have amazing sights and the atmosphere is amazing. All in all you should visit all 3 of them if you are in Uz
>>
>>1504028
I found Kathmandu actually pretty cool. If you need comfort you can always go back to Thamel
>>
>>1504347
All three of the big tourist spots were worth the visit, but they all had something lacking, I think.
Khiva was stunning, but very very small. It felt like a park tourists would go to, and local couples to have their wedding pictures taken.
Bukhara was overal the most beautiful city, but lacked the sights Samarkand had. In Bukhara there were "just" some madrassas, minarets and domes.
Samarkand had the most interesting and unique sights. But the city itself was a bit of a let down.
>>
>>1504333
You're a fool if you think that's how it is. Literally everyone there see foreigners as a walking dollar sign. Not only are they trying to rip you off when you buy things but they also try to scam you. I had so many scams pulled on me that after my second day there I basically gave up on meeting genuine people.

There are very very few redeeming features of Havana. If you want a much better experience in a similar climate there are cities across the Caribbean and Latin America which will offer you vastly more.
>>
>>1504350
> Kathmandu
If I ever get out of here, that's what I'm gonna do
>>
>>1504028
>Kathmandu
Other than the dust and the exhaust gas, I didn't think it was that bad other than the rivers. Then again, I am comparing to the worst dumps I've seen, which are rainy season Africa cities.
>>
>>1504368
I didn't make it to Khiva. I found Samarkand fascinating - obviously the sights (even though it is noti mmediately obvious the degree to which they are modern reconstructions) are something very special - perhaps the Shah-i Zinda mausoleum, as it is still a place of religious devotion and pilgrimage, especially, as one could see popular devotion there, not just tourism. But I also found the combination of medieval (or ostensibly medieval) and modern fascinating and appealing. Things like: seeing old men sitting out in the streets with their friends, wearing traditional blue felt clothing, drinking tea; or going to the market and cafes there for somsas for lunch; having a wine-tasting session (with history and commentary given - obviously that I speak Russian helped) in the wine factory (man their wines are excessively sweet, and how they came to be made there is fascinating, and while their black balsam is.no match for Riga's or Unicum, it's alright); discovering the fashion museum; drinking tea in a workers cafe outside the city centre. But all in all it struck me.as being a fairly agreeable provincial (yes, post-Soviet) university town with some amazing historical sights at its heart. The other thing that struck me was that I have been anywhere where so many Russian-speakers curse so little! Which maybe also says something about the character of the town. I rather liked it. Main downer? A surprising lack of good restaurants (or even bad ones) oh, and taxi drivers trying it on, until.I argued at length with them.in Russian. Seeing a beauty salon named after Beyonce was a big surprise!

Bukhara I thought suffered by the detachment of the historic quarter from the rest of the town (which really did strike me as lifeless and unremarkable). And (despite the fact it had the only madrassah in USSR!) in places felt like too much of a museum piece, albeit a fairly unkempt one. But the people were very friendly.

Now, after those citirs, Tashkent was a letdown.
>>
Medellin's highways, and road system in general. The city is beautiful and fun, the people are friendly and affectionate, it's all-around a great place to be......except in a taxi/uber.

Every trip in a car took years off my lifespan. Every single car endlessly released thick black smoke from their exhaust pipes, and you're choking on it the whole time. Nobody ever has their windows up with the AC & filter running. After awhile I started to think, "Do the people here not know that you're not supposed to breath in car exhaust?" And I mean that literally. Like nobody was educated on what you should & shouldn't breath in.
>>
>>1504028

Kathmandu is indeed quite delightful, in a way people perceive India to be, before realizing India is an open sewer.
>>
>>1504424
that's right. Hindu temples in Kathmandu are kinda atmospheric and exotic. Hindu temples in Delhi or Amritsar are fucking gross
>>
>>1503916
I've never been to Third World countries, but Naples didn't live up to my expectations.
>>
>>1503916
>What places have you been that you got there and thought “holy shit, This place is a dump.”

London.

I have seen better cities in Third World
>>
>>1504028
>Which is why I'll add Singapore to my list of shitholes, despite how advanced it is. Nation of overpaid autists, can't fucking stand them.
Wtf? Singapore is cool, are you one of the British autists who feel confused when somebody doesn’t say sorry 20 times in a minute?
>>
>>1503916
Boppard, Germany.

The place is ugly as sin, there's trash everywhere not on the waterfront, the locals WILL annoy you to tears with single interesting thing there's in town (which apparently is enough to make some couples go there in fucking honeymoon) and the landscape is a trasplant of the GDR in FGR. Absolute shit a place.

Athens, Greece.

The Acropolis is iconic, and the archeological museum is great. That's it, otherwise it's just current Rome but even dirtier, generally depressed, and way emptier of interesting things. At this point the only thing that makes Athens better than Rome is that San Lorenzo now doesn't allow the purchase of alcohol past 21:00, but the Plaka does.

Weymouth, England

A beach town whose beaches are a pain in the ass to reach, and that's got most depressing """major train station""" ever.
>>
>>1503916
Delhi and Varanasi were disgusting. India in general was bad, though some places I visited weren't complete trash or the positives compensated for the filthiness (Jaipur comes to mind). When I crossed the border into Bhutan at Jaigon/Phuentsholing, everything immediately changed. Relatively clean streets, peaceful traffic, no chaos and loud noises everywhere. Seriously what the fuck is wrong with Indians.
>>
>>1504896
No, I'm confused how a developed nation focused on global commerce boasting a leading education system can have English as its main language for such a long time and yet be completely incomprehensible when speaking. Have you actually tried to have a conversation with a Singaporean in Singapore? Even without the hodgepodge talk their mannerisms look like they're following some guidebook for communication with occasional short circuiting in their brains. There's a video floating around of Singaporeans dancing at a rave that make Boston Dynamics look more humanoid.
>>
>>1504961

Same experience crossing into Nepal, which is hardly a wealthier or better educated country by any standard. First day in Kathmandu was such a bliss, similar architecture and culture but it was like fucking Japan compared to that shithole called India. What a joy to be able to walk around the place without being pestered by touts, nor covering my ears from the deafening noise or constantly losing my appetite from the piles of rotting garbage everywhere.
>>
>>1504958
>dude beer lmao
>>
File: buthan india.jpg (1.32 MB, 2560x1920)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB JPG
>>1505013
>>
Didn't have any expectations to begin with, but avoid Belgrade if you're ever in the Balkans. They won't want you to visit anyway.
>>
>>1505225
Really? I heard Belgrade was a party city with a lot of foreigners
>>
>>1505225
I am planning my Balkan tour soon. Belgrade is supposed to be the first location of my trip. Can you elaborate further?
>>
>>1505065
>>1504961
Thanks guys, I'm definitely going to check out Nepal and Bhutan now
>>
Is Japan the only country with clean streets and people that won't scam any tourists?
>>
>>1505874
Singapore, New Zealand, most north/west European countries.
>>
>>1505876
>most north/west European countries.
Except for London, Paris, Brussels, Amsterdam, Berlin, Cologne, Madrid, Barcelona, Rome, Vienna and the most major cities, right?
>>
>>1505874
Switzerland because they already have too much money after WW2
>>
In kathmandu and the foul air and greedy cunts who live here are killing me

People told me to avoid it but I got stuck here with visa problems
>>
>>1505881
You listed mainly south/central.
>>
>>1504322
Yeah I hated Cuba. I've been to dozens of poor third world countries but nothing prepared me for how awful and sleazy the locals were in Havana. Whole country should have been nuked in the cold war.
>>
>>1504382
>everyone there see foreigners as a walking dollar sig
You're right.

t. Cuban diaspora
>>
>>1504961
>>1504961
>>1504961
Varanasi was the highlight of my India trip. It was by far the dirtiest/grimiest/metal place I have ever set foot in but thats what I liked. It was just insanity, the filth and shit these people willingly lived in and made no attempt to clean. Really unique experience IMO, obviously if you are looking at a guided tour of Paris then it probably isnt somewhere you will enjoy.

>inb4 realtraveler
>>
>>1504882
I love how grimy and raw Naples is. Agree it's a shithole, especially if you go into the working/immigrant districts but still has some charm.
>>
>>1503965
>The women are just out to scam foreign guys into marriage so they can live in the luxury of a British council flat with an alcoholic itinerant carpenter for the rest of their lives.
This is strangely specific. Any bad stories?
>>
>>1505874
I’ve been to Munich and other places in Bavaria several times and have never had problems. Although in Munich there are a lot of women in burqas which is unsettling
>>
>>1507331
>2018
>visiting Germistan
Shiggy diggy
>>
>>1507331
>Although in Munich there are a lot of women in burqas which is unsettling

These are Arabic tourists you dense motherfucker. Munich is a prime tourist spot for Gulf Arabs going on a European shopping tour and maybe a medical visit while they are there.
>>
>>1507346
>t.t-they’re just t.tourists!

Thank god I live in America and can legally carry firearms to protect me from terrorists.
>>
>>1507377
Don't bother replying to the German antifa cuck, he shitposts anytime anyone brings up the German invasion
>>
>>1505874

Taiwan is relatively clean as far as their streets go, but it's crowded as fuck and the air quality can be awful sometimes, especially around religious holidays

>better send some joss paper to my dead relatives, a metric fuckton should do the trick

Meanwhile, everyone is inhaling the unavoidable smoke pouring out of the temple roofs
>>
>>1507382
>German invasion
Oy vey. Get over it. Not even your parents were born then
>>
>>1503965
>saw a guy standing in waist-deep raw sewage to clean out a sewage line blockage.

You shouldn't talk about women's vaginas with such euphemisms its very disrespectful. Racist and sexist much?
>>
>>1505874
Australia, New Zealand too.
>>
>>1504333
>In the meantime, enjoy something that is not designed solely to relieve you of your money.
Confirmed for never having visited Cuba
>>
>>1505013
Is /trv/ just posting the most hyberbolic stories possible? I've lived in Singapore, and while Singaporeans definitely have a unique accent, they'll often put on a Western accent to speak to foreigners. So unless you're travel illiterate, you shouldn't have any problems interacting.
>>
>>1504882
I was surprised how poor Napoli was. I really enjoyed my 4 days there, but probably wouldn't go back. There's not much to see either.
>>
>>1505874
yes, just don't talk to nigerians there and you're clear

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.