[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Have about 4000 usd and want to travel to someplace in Africa for a bit, but no clue where. Any anons have any suggestions on what to do on this budget?
>>
>>1502581
South Africa. Fuck pol. It is an outstanding destination.
>>
>>1502583
South Africa seems a bit boring though and i've heard it's full of racial tension right now.
>>
>>1502584
If SA is too boring then the rest is bound to be more boring.

>full of racial tension
Pol-meme. That will not affect you one bit.

But OK then. Go to Malawi. Watch the tropical fish. Get stoned. Be bored.
>>
>>1502585
but i dont want to get stoned and i'm not much of a safari type either. But i love nature and beautiful surroundings with a mix of city once in a while.
>>
>>1502586
Morocco rocks. Also; where are you located now?
>>
>>1502587
I live in Scandinavia.
I've heard good things about Morocco
>>
Maybe check out East Africa. Kigali's surprisingly nice, Zanzibar's beautiful and cheap, lots of stuff in Kenya
>>
>>1502589
i've heard West Africa got the least amount of colonial treatment.
How's west compared to east?
>>
File: echo-terrace[1].jpg (57 KB, 550x413)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>1502586
>i love nature and beautiful surroundings with a mix of city once in a while

Well, that IS Cape Town. And it is high summer there now, while Morocco is actually gonna be quite cold. You can take KLM, Ethiopian and Turkish to Cape Town, and it's pretty fast and "cheap". Stay in Sea Point and go for hikes 20 mins from your front door. Or stay in Simon's Town or Fish Hoek and have whales jumping outside your window. Or do both. I usually do some time down on the peninsula (pretty but boring), then get a flat in town (sea point, gardens etc), which is stunning and with access to food, museums, Table Mountain and beaches.
>>
>>1502594
huh that does sound pretty nice actually
Do you work for the SA government since you're so apt at advertising it?
>>
I would go to Namibia desu
>>
>>1502597
Namibia looks beautiful too, i'm a big desert guy.
>>
>>1502596
I just love the place and I've spent a lot of time there. And it gets cheaper every year due to the Rand being quite fucked up. And I am tired of the polfaggery related to South Africa. Fuckers can afford to watch a Molyneux video. They can not afford a plane ticket.

If you are down on the peninsula you would benefit from having transport, but in the city you can cope with Uber.
>>
>>1502602
how recommended is night walking?
in China i could walk in some of the most poverty stricken slums without a single fear.
Does the same go for SA?
>>
>>1502603
The slums are out of bounds at night time. There are tours in the daytime no worries, if you want to have a drink of moonshine in a tin shack bar, then that could be your ticket. But you will see those slums when you leave the airport, and that's pretty much as good as it gets.

There are group night walks up to places like Signal Hill. I would not do it alone. You could stroll down the main streets of Sea Point, Clifton, Camps Bay etc. without a problem You could also go for night walks down on the peninsula without an issue. Daytime walks are perfectly fine everywhere in the City Bowl. You need to be a bit more alert at night. Think of it as a large US city or London. It is not Mogadishu.
>>
>>1502601
Would be interesting to go but I don't want to spend a lot and travel on my own
>>
>>1502609
aha alright. So it depends on the area.
What areas are the best when it comes to hotels and easy access to general stuff?
>>
>>1502611
have you thought about finding a tour company?
>>
I'm going to south Africa next year and my capetonian friends tell me you can spend a month there for anywhere between $1,500-3,000 US, depending on your budget.

morroco seems a bit touristy already, and Egypt is overrated.

i want to go to either eithiopa, Kenya, Tanzania or a combination of the three. I heard the wildlife is amazing there, and Ethiopian food equally as good.
>>
>>1502612
Sea Point (think art deco, old jews, boardwalk, safe as fuck, very central, close to walks)

Clifton & Camps Bay
(safe as fuck, millionaire's row, posh restaurants, Atlantic Seaboard, good walks)

Fish Hoek and Simon's Town
(more remote. Safe as fuck, Daytime and evening train. Few restaurants. Whales. Good walks. warmer Indian Ocean seaboard, good value Air bnb's)

Muizenberg
(learn 2 surf, slightly less safe than the other places)
>>
>>1502615
damn, thanks dude!
>>
>>1502616
My pleasure. Enjoy
>>
>>1502590
nobody travels to the west of Africa at all, have you even researched this?
>>
>>1502581
Africa is a rather large place with more countries than any other continent. depends a lot on your interests.
do the garden route in S Africa.
eat delicious food in Cape Town.
smoke cheap blonde hash in Morocco.
see self-drive wildlife at Krueger.
do a cool wine tour in Franschhoek http://winetram.co.za/
culture in Egypt, red sea is awesome, dive with whale sharks in Djibouti, ect so much
>>
>>1502584
stupid comment based on idiocy.
i travel there regularly, one of the best places ion the world, racial tension will effect you 0%
>>
>>1502619
nobody travels there? I hardly believe this.
What for?
>>
Is Africa the most blandest continent out there? Not talking about Northern Africa btw. For me Africa = blacks

I mean if we are being honest wildlife is all it has going on.

>Laughable mountains
>Boring jungles
>Cities no one cares for
>Can't even walk around most capitals because of violence
>Over 60% of the continent is entirely off limits
>Mountains are a joke
>You need a car
>Distances are absolutely huge

I think it's worth one trip max to see some lions and elephants but other than that it's just large and empty
>>
>>1502590
west africa was jungle where they took slaves, east africa has much more grassland and the british civilized them a bit more
west african countries are smaller, borders and visas can be a hassle

>>1502602
if you go to cape town you avoid a lot of the problems because it's mostly coloreds there and the eff type are more in the north east?
>>
>>1502632
>>Distances are absolutely huge
That is your one accurate statement.

> you avoid a lot of the problems because it's mostly coloreds there
Actually, the coloured group are the slightly more pissed off (not that it will affect 99.9999% of visitors).
Black South Africans are quite warm and sometimes really quick-witted and funny. T I've struck up conversations with black security guards or maids and it has turned into absolute top conversation within about 10 seconds of talking. That's a stereotype though, and it might not be true for everyone.
>>
As long as you stick to Cape town and the countryside you'd be fine.
>>
>>1502581
Uganda is nicer than people imagine and it has some budget Safari options unlike Kenya.
>>
>>1502632
What's boring about their jungles? There seems to be lots of good hiking
>>
>>1502701
why so different? more people travel to Kenya?
>>
>>1502701
I found prices to be quite similar, like $110-150 a day for the cheaper tours, when I did research a year ago. Also Kenya seems to have more to do on a backpacker budget like hiking Hells Gate or visiting that lake I don't remember the name of.

What bothered me most about safari tours was that they all seem so rushed, and if you do a 3 day budget tour, half of day 1 and 3 are wasted going from and back to the capital
>>
>>1502632
Spoken like a true loser
>>
>>1502587
super cheap to get to morocco from europe... btw
>>
>>1502581
i was in Tanzania, Kenya, south africa, egypt, tunisia, zimbabwe and sychelles an there is only one choice form this list desu.
i was on seychelles twice, once in mahe, once in praslin and these are the safest places in the entire africa. Creoles are nice and treats you like some fucking god, beaches are like from dream and not crowded like everyone says (biggest meme made of seychelles- place fully crowded of rich scum old people), you can easily find place only for you to relax. food, especially fishes are great and coco palm jungles are fuckin awesome. South africa was my worst experience, even kenya where i had to fight with angry rats in my hotel in nairobi was better. Tanzania was nice, safari bit much overrated but still i was amzaed to see big 5. egypt is best location for coral reef diving and tunisia was pretty much european standard place.
>>
>>1502581
>Any anons have any suggestions on what to do on this budget?
Sure: don't.
>>
South Africa is the only viable answer for first timers.
>>
Looking for tips for Ethiopia, as I'm leaving in 36 hours. Been reading up, was thinking Northern circuit & Danakil - Bale - Arba Minch to Omo in 23 days, but all input is welcome.

>>1504297
Ghana and Senegal are viable options as well, as are Tanzania and non-election season Kenya. Might be missing a few others.
>>
>>1504394
Go to Harar.
>>
>>1504394
get killed by an Oromo mob
>>
>>1504394
>Ghana and Senegal are viable options as well, as are Tanzania and non-election season Kenya. Might be missing a few others.
If you want to jump into the deep-end; by all means
>>
>>1504902
Ghana and Senegal, along with maybe The Gambia, are babby’s first west Africa. These are entry level travel difficulty with quite a bit to offer.
>>
>>1502581
i live in SEA and go to Madagascar to relax and get the great food also its so fucking cheap and safe
>>
File: SAM_3944.jpg (2.52 MB, 4000x3000)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
>>1504948
Can I just say that Senegal kicked my ass? I've spent almost two years in the Maghreb and I've been to every shithole in Asia, but I still wasn't adequately prepared for Senegal. The hustles in Dakar were all new to me. The hopelessness of the transport "system" still gives me nightmares. The heat was so intense I had to lie motionless on my back from 11am to 6pm every day. The level of poverty has infected me with perpetual guilt. Not since my first solo trip have I felt like such a helpless infant.
It was all fun as hell and I'd love to go back, but if it's truly 'Africa for beginners' I'd hate to see how bad it gets elsewhere.
>>
>>1504293
This guy's exaggerating, but his point is that you shouldn't under-estimate how expensive Africa can be. $4k is enough for a few weeks of adventure and fun, but you won't be doing the Cape to Cairo with that much.
The exception being Morocco and Egypt, both are cheap as fuck.
>>
>>1504976
>hopelessness of the transport "system"
Taxis are cheap, problem solved.
>The heat was so intense I had to lie motionless on my back from 11am to 6pm every day
I absolutely suck at dealing with high temperatures - anything above 21° means suffering for me, but I was able to suck it up and go about my business.
>The level of poverty has infected me with perpetual guilt.
Welcome to the lives of a very significant part of the world population.
>>
File: africa.png (265 KB, 1291x868)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>
are africans less violent than african americans? i would love to visit africa, its the only continent i havent been to, but I'm kind of scared of going.
>>
>>1505397
you are going to be shitting yourself so much that the adult diaper budget/baggage allowance won't be worth it
>>
>>1502632
>large and empty
thats half the appeal of safaris
>>
>>1502581
Zanzibar
>>
>>1505397
They will analrape you and give you HIV. Happens to millions of tourists each year.

>>1505401
this
>>
>>1502581
>tfw you’ll enjoy an opulent and cultured fortnight in a beautifully-cosmopolitan Rhodesia...

Feels bad man...
>>
File: 20181208_152336.jpg (931 KB, 2560x1440)
931 KB
931 KB JPG
>>1505373
Yes, this afternoon I had to exercise a high degree of caution, the stairs to this rooftop restaurant were a bit uneven.
>>
>>1505497
drink a real beer like Meta, faggot
>>
DO NOT FALL FOR THE COFFEE CEREMONY SCAM
DO NOT FALL FOR THE COFFEE CEREMONY SCAM
YOU ALSO DO NOT REMEMBER ANYONE FROM MERCATO
>>
If by Africa Travel you mean Detroit, don't go there, you'll get raped / killed.
>>
>>1505497
Kek. I think that guy's map must refer to the way people drive, that's the only way it makes sense to me.
>>
File: 1385132263282.jpg (65 KB, 624x526)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1505497
what country are you in fag
>>
>>1505503
Only been here for 36 hours at this point, random pick.

>>1505549
Impossibru, Ivory Coast should be near completely red in that case.

>>1505554
Ethiopia, you nincompoop.

Can't post pics, wifi is so slow upload doesn't finish before captcha expires.
>>
>>1505554
it's ethiopia read a book nigga
>>
>>1505563
What have you done today besides drink?
>>
File: SAM_2901.jpg (69 KB, 640x480)
69 KB
69 KB JPG
Can anyone here give me a comparison of Cote d'Ivoire and Ghana? They look pretty similar. I'll be in Bamako next month and I want to travel down to one or the other just to experience the tropics. I care about food and the outdoors.
I speak both French and English so that's not a huge factor.
>>
>>1505497
It doesnt just apply to you.
I.e. Ooga booga where the white women at
>>
>>1505574
My ex is from ivory coast
You should get yourself some booty
>>
>>1502632
Safaris suck, the best place to see adorable giraffes is the zoo. San Diego and Omaha have great ones.
>>
>>1502594
>>1502602
hey I'm planning to come down to Cape Town to stay for a few months,
Any tips how to rent an apartment for that kind of time? Like 3 months?

I'd be looking for something close to see, preferrably with actual sea views, but not far from the city life.

(not OP)
>>
>>1505742
close to the sea*
>>
>>1504976
>>1505076
what about the girls desu

t. was thinkig about going to Dakar for a couple of months.
>>
>>1505748
Dakar has great nightlife. It'd be easy enough to find a sugar-baby, otherwise if you've got game and speak French you might find someone who wants your dick more than your money.
In Cap Skirring I saw so many geriatric white French women walking down the street holding hands with young Senegalese guys, kek
>>
>>1505571
All of the Lalibela churches plus the Maryam monastery above the city. No alcohol so far. Will fix that later.

>>1505574
Haven't seen much of Ghana, but it definitely had nicer beaches, whereas Ivory Coast had nicer mountainous scenery in the Montagnes region. Ghana is more developed and easier to explore on the whole though.

>>1505669
Travelling with my sister at the moment, and local men have been respectful. Worst thing so far was a dude giving me a thumbs up indicating he found her beautiful. His face when I told her she was my sister was amusing.

>>1505748
Dakar has some absolutely stunning women. Being white and willing to spend some cash like >>1505762 says should do the trick.
>>
sex tourists should be shot
>>
>>1505748
>>1505762
>>1505950
any tips about renting a (nice) apartment in Dakar for a few months?
>>
>>1502581
>what to do on this budget?
Yeah, make your will up before you go.
>>
>>1506171
No idea; look on the Thorntree forums, that's where the OG expats hang out as opposed to the assholes here. I imagine you'd end up living in Yoff, it's a marginally nicer neighborhood than the others.
Dakar is an unusual choice though. I guess it's got an interesting vibe, good nightlife like I said, and there are many many white people there to rub shoulders with. You might even call it comfy, despite the chaos. But I'd recommend visiting before you commit to staying there.
>>
>>1505953
sex tourism in afric?
disgusting.
>>
>>1506172
should it be higher?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.