[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/trv/ - Travel

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: shinshunno-utage(2).jpg (1.07 MB, 5568x3712)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
Shurijo Castle edition

Post about
>Your favorite Japanese drinks, bars, and degenerate drinking activities
>Getting drunk with salarymen
>Traveling to Japan
>Living in Japan
>Teaching in Japan
>Joining the Yakuza
>Getting your weeb fantasies crushed

"Dude what should I see in ________?"
>https://www.japan-guide.com/
>https://www.jnto.go.jp/
Solid general guides - sights, sample itineraries, pre-travel considerations, etc
>https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1fmfaySQHmojbRGKWCwRecq6Ln1Bb2Xdh&ll=35.67928012473078%2C139.68638283648374&z=12
/JPG/anon put together an autistic supermap of sights, restaurants, and shopping. Go nuts.

*Info on prostitution*
Please try to refrain from asking questions about prostitution.
Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese (don't listen to this, this was likely written by a weeb with zero real life experience in the field). What is available can generally be found in the following links
>http://rockitreports.com/category/sex-in-tokyo/
>http://erolin.net/
>http://rockitrisingsun.com/
>http://hentaitokyo.com/
Note that most of these companies are owned by the same group so behave.

*Note about the JR Pass*
Many people ask about whether or not the JR Rail Pass is worth it. It depends on your itinerary.

>http://www.hyperdia.com/en/
Plug your itinerary into Hyperdia to determine ticket costs, then compare to the below JR Pass options:
>7 day Pass: 29,110¥ (approximately a Tokyo-Kyoto round-trip bullet train trip)
>14 day Pass: 46,390¥
>21 day Pass: 59,350¥

>https://www.japan-guide.com/railpass/
Super-easy rail pass calculator. Fill in your planned trips, get a quick yes/no response.

Please check the /trv/ sticky before asking questions. It's filled with links to great resources, many of them specific to Japan travel.

Please refer to the previous thread while it's still up >>1497725
>>
will a lot of places outside of Tokyo be closed the day after New Years
>>
>>1501505
Outside of Tokyo is anywhere else on the planet, clarify
>>
>>1501489
Bit early for a new general, is it?
>>
File: pic_123_clean_790.jpg (118 KB, 790x1054)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Where can I find events like picrelated?
>>
>>1501576
Outside Don Quijote on special days or any street corner in Akihabara and Harajuku
>>
>>1501576
Do get precised though.
>>
>>1501576
Looks like from an anime con one of very many out there. So just go to one and enjoy seas of people
>>
File: 1534870433176.jpg (65 KB, 674x1199)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>>1501576
Just like her too.
>>
>>1501555

Seems like it I guess.
>>
What are the greatest chances of me finding any cute attractive girl's around the country?
>>
>>1501546
I plan on going to Ooarai for a day and don't know if I should go on the 2nd
>>
>>1501505
Depends, expect a good handful to be closed, chains all over should be open like mos burger, 711, dennys, etc

>>1501644
Cute girls exist all over anon, are you talking about just meeting them or attempting to fuck them
>>
>>1501704
>meeting them or attempting to fuck them
Pretty much both of these ways for now.
>>
>>1501704
true, but even with more store's like Circle K, Club Sega, and even Costco as well'
>>
Should I go to a soapland in the morning and then go to Mogra for the anison matrix at night tomorrow?

Anyone have experience with either? I am thinking paradise soapland but I am worried because it has been many years since I last got laid (like 7 years ago) and the last time some women wanted to fuck me I couldn't get hard (she was black, I dont find them attractive, but it still messed with my head).

As far as Mogra is concerned, my only problem is how late it starts and ends. Is it normal to go and then leave maybe half way through (like at 2 in the morning or so?)
>>
>>1501798
Soapland is fun. And while I can personally vouch for Paradise, the girl I spent time with there is no longer in the line up. However, they do have a good amount of English speaking girls and all the other staff speak English as well.
>>
File: A-POP BAR_B5.jpg (612 KB, 700x988)
612 KB
612 KB JPG
>>1501798
Im guessing the regular events are these, open from 6pm to 11pm...? That sounds a little strange, a club only being open for 5 hours. To me anyways. Sounds like an easy job.

Aren't soaplands really bloody expensive?
>>
What are some must try restaurants in Akihabara? I have a budget of about $100CAD/meal.
>>
>>1501864
>soaplands
They can be depending on your budgets, But which town are you planning on traveling over to?
>>
>>1501798
>should I go to a soapland in the morning
Fuck no dude
> to Mogra for the anison matrix at night tomorrow
If you've never been sure, but mogra is kinda a rippoff. Fun one time thing then that's it.

>As far as Mogra is concerned, my only problem is how late it starts and ends. Is it normal to go and then leave maybe half way through

Few of my friends have played there, we usually left around that time. Just know the trains ain't running till 5am so good luck paying to get back home or a nice taxi fair.

>>1501951
Hero's is good for steak, Takeru is good but crowded as fuck when open, Henry's burger is interesting, Aged meat bar is good but think is 2 people min.

For food I'll usually go up to Ueno, short and easy trip up.
>>
>>1501988
How is a $15 door fee for a night of music and fun a ripoff? I don't drink btw
>>
This is gonna sound weird but is there a certain way you drink from public water fountains? They shoot straight up how do you drink without it just falling back on the fountain head.
>>
>>1501990
Oh if you don't drink then idk, couldn't imagine doing mogra without drinking or serious pregaming. They play music upstairs and down stairs but idk anyone who goes there other than staff not drinking.

the picture in the pic of mogra with tables and stuff, yeah that's no not how that works at all I've never seen tables down in the dj area.
>>
>>1501988
>fuck no dude
Why not? They are privy but seem worth it for the nuru massage and the whole experience of it?

Also, dont tell me to just go on tinder or something because I dont know how to pick up girls and it is too much of a bother to try and get one to have sex with me.
>>
>>1502044
Really have no idea which place you plan on going to or visiting so hard to tell, generally mornings won't have the best of the best, just the B or C team, though they can be cheaper depending where you go.

I'm guessing if you are going in the morning you're just looking to say you fucked a jap overseas, want to lose virginity and don't care, or trying to cheap it out.
>>
>Go to doctor for vaccinations
>Tell him about my travel plans to Japan
>Nah u gucci mane just gives me a flu shot
>Read the wiki article on the Japanese encephalitis today
>Half of the infected get turned into potatos
I'm really freaking out right now because I'm leaving in 12 days. I thought about buying and injecting it myself but I don't know help...
>>
>>1502162
You're more likely to die in a plane crash or get truck kun'd than you are anything else. Asians are more subseptable to shit and you're in off season for any bug kinda shit. Like the amount of people that get it, and let it go on to full stages per year is so stupidly low. Also it generally affects very young or older people with much weaker immune systems.

Just take some vitamins daily like the ones posted early in the thread and you'll be fine for most anything. It's likely that you can catch it in your own country during summer but probably don't or your body fights it off.
>>
>>1502162
>During 2007-2016, among the 55 reported cases, all but one case from India were infected in Japan. Among these 54 cases infected domestically, the month of onset for the majority of cases was August-September (Fig. 2); the earliest onset was April 14 (case infected in Hyogo Prefecture, 2014) and the latest November 18 (case infected in Nagasaki Prefecture, 2011). The suspected place of infection was from 23 prefectures, all located in the western half of the country (i.e. none east of the Kanto region), with many being in Kyushu region and Okinawa Prefecture (22 among 54 cases) (Fig. 3). Among the total of 55 cases reported, 33 were males and 22 were females; 39 were aged ≥60 years and 7 were aged ≤10 years (Fig. 4). Six of the cases (2 male cases and 4 female cases) were fatal at the time of notification.

>Conclusion: Since the 1990s, the annual number of reported JE cases has been at around 10 and remains low. In recent years, most cases were among the elderly ≥60 years of age with low immunity against JEV (Fig. 4). In countries that lack a JE vaccination policy, children ≤5 years of age constitute the largest number of JE cases, and 75% of all JE patients are aged ≤14 years (see pp. 166 & 168 of this issue). In Japan, JE patients ≤10 years of age have also been reported, and vaccination is an important measure against prevention of infection and disease.

Over the course of 11 fucking years 54 cases happened in japan, only ever affecting anything worth noting to very young to very old
>>
>>1502165
But are some medications even allowed onboard the plane or will they be inspected only?
>>
>>1502176
Just buy shit there, you'll be fine stop being a nervous wreck. See >>1502166 , again you probably are exposed to west nile virus, along the same line of shit, at home and are fine in japan you'll be as fine.
>>
I'm interested in visiting Minoh Waterfall and the abandoned Fukuchiyama railway trail when I'm visiting Japan in March 2019. Will the place be closed during this time?
>>
>>1502224
Closed? nah should be open most stuff is open year round unless there is vast amounts of snow, though most of that area isn't really too snow heavy especially in march
>>
>>1502055
Mornings at soaplands are cheaper though, so depends on how much he wants to spend.
>>
>>1502044

You'll be in a foreign land as a foreigner, just strike up a conversation with them and don't sound like a tit. Or on the occasion they ask if you want to fuck straight away, then bang. You aren't spending the ludicrous amount of money on a soap land that might go to waste because your junk decided not to work again.

Or you could just kys.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1541249053635.jpg (42 KB, 720x960)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>1502322
>Mornings at soaplands are cheaper though, so depends on how much he wants to spend.
>>
I'm flying to Japan soon and have US Samsung Note 9, does anyone know if it has felica/can it use Mobile Suica for transportation, so I don't have to carry the card around with me?
>>
Going in June, when should I book a hotel?
>>
>>1502804
Depends on your budget. If you want to save money but CAN spend more, wait to catch last-minute deals, so you don't get screwed. If you're willing to spend a moderate amount of money now, book ASAP.
>>
Can anyone recommend me some worthwhile "nature" side trips from osaka, i'd like have some contrast but have a hard time finding hiking trails and the like
>>
Which APA hotel should I stay at in Tokyo?
>>
File: chocoalte-fed-wagyu.jpg (470 KB, 2026x1847)
470 KB
470 KB JPG
Where should I eat Kobe beef/Wagyu in Tokyo?
>>
>>1502852
Just go to Kobe, holy shit.
>>
I want to go to Tokyo for Halloween
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKRBOsSYWtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8bVtkSrXrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykdY2KWJy4U
>>
>>1502861
Why? To see other foreigners in shitty costumes? I feel like last time were already more foreigners than Japanese. And where are many foreigners there is crime, rape and other problems. Therefore, they need thousands of police to keep an eye on you. Japanese hate halloween now.
>>
>>1502867
Well, they pretty much have a lot of Security guards patrolling around each plaza's.
>>
>>1502867
>Japanese hate halloween now.
No they don't. they have a big Halloween in Kawasaki that has been going on for about 20 years. The majority of the participants in costume are Japanese
>>
>>1502842
On here:
http://advice-blog.xyz/story/amuletvanga_shak_v1/?subid_1=708&subid_2=26195212511542213378&subid_3=32
>>
BR dude here. Honestly I'm always surprised people come visit us. Our cities are boring as hell if you're not in Rio or Sao Paulo. I think what makes Japan somewhat good for tourists is that tourists come with lots of money to spend and are usually wealthy, coming from countries with dollars or euros as its currency. That's how you enjoy Brazil. Brazil is not for the poor. Living in a country that has some beautiful shit in it like Fernando de Noronha but not being able to use it 'cause it's overpriced as fuck is totally depressing.
>>
>>1502852
Naviguru.com
>>
OK, I've got a pretty long language course in Fukuoka coming up, and I have a few questions I haven't been able to find the answer to yet.

1. I'm coming from the UK, so I want to buy all my yen before Brexit happens and the exchange rate plummets.
However, I'm not sure I want to carry six months worth of cash with me.
Are there any pre-paid cards I can load up in yen (not sterling, this is important) before I go?

2. I've been looking at options for phones. My current phone should work from in Japan from what I've found (Xperia XA1), but are there any good SIM-only deals I should use?
Will data-only be enough, or would something with call options be a better idea?
>>
>>1502971
Get a Starling Bank account and you can use the debit card both to buy stuff, but also withdraw cash from atms for no fee.

You may still get charged a fee by the ATM to withdraw cash, but otherwise you just pay that day's mastercard exchange rate, which is always far superior to what you'll get from any foreign exchange.

I just transfer money from my main bank account to top it up whenever I need to.

You could also get a Monzo or Revolut account. They are the same for spending, but have a limit on how much you can withdraw per month before you get fees, so Starling is the best for frequent travellers IMO.
>>
>>1502971
1. Another option, if possible in the UK, is to open a bank account in eur/usd with a card attached to it. Then your money will be in eur/usd and you can withdraw them when needed in yen from any atm in Japan.

Can you share more info about the course? Why Fukuoka? I'm thinking of doing a course myself.
>>
>>1502993
Well, the course I'm taking is 24 weeks long, and the course fees, including dorm accommodation, are 959,500 yen. I've been to the school before (albeit quite a long while ago) and they were pretty good.

And why Fukuoka? Two reasons mainly.
Firstly, it's cheaper than Tokyo and I've been there before.
Secondly, the food, especially the street food, of which there is plenty to choose from.
>>
>>1502971
>want to buy all my yen before Brexit happens
Brexit aint happening for a long time lmao
>>
File: 1540066816159.jpg (51 KB, 720x719)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>1502867
>Why? To see other foreigners in shitty costumes? I feel like last time were already more foreigners than Japanese. And where are many foreigners there is crime, rape and other problems. Therefore, they need thousands of police to keep an eye on you. Japanese hate halloween now.

God what a load of BS coming out your shitty post. Do the board a favour and keep your shit opinions to yourself
>>
>>1503032
>>
Yeh, and the longer it goes on, the lower the rates are gonna go.
>>
File: dddd.png (314 KB, 385x493)
314 KB
314 KB PNG
>>1503032
It's all true. Sorry to hurt your little weeb feelings.
>>
>>1503045
Real bump.
>>
Oh... so this is what depression feels like. I’m waiting for my Connecting flight in LAX and here I am, after two fantastic weeks in Japan, I just see fat people and screaming children everywhere.

How do I get out of this funk? Just look at my photos until the pain slowly goes away?
>>
>>1503048
get your mind off of not being there
>>
>>1502867
Japs love Halloween and Christmas, there's more decorations and events every fucking year you lying weeaboo cunt.

The most pathetic thing I see living in Japan is gaijin attempting to suck up to the Japanese. Please understand, your fellow expats would gladly see you disappear under a bus and Japanese think you're a fucking weirdo at best.
>>
>>1502971
How do you parents feel about you wasting your time, money, and effort to learn a dying, irrelevant language?
>>
>>1503043
If you're referring to the truck being flipped at the Shibuya Halloween block party, that was done by mainly Japs. As was the upskirt photography.

And by blaming gaijin for everything and going along with whatever the notoriously biased Jap media says, the only weeaboo here is you faggot.
>>
>>1503059
Do they also celebrate easter, thanksgiving, and Valentine day's as well?
>>
>>1503074
I think thanksgiving in japan is their labor day
>>
>>1503074
Christians might celebrate Easter, I don't think they celebrate thanksgiving, and Valentines Day is girls giving ornate, hand-made sweets and chocolates to the boys they like, as well as generic, "obligatory chocolate" to their male friends and colleagues. "White Day" is when the males who got gifts are meant to reciprocate and give chocolates back.

Christmas is a time for couples, like a month-long Valentines Day almost, and the New Year period is a time for family and praying at temples, but Western-style NYE celebrations and parties take place in the bigger cities too.
>>
Will movie theaters be open in Tokyo on the Dec 31st or Jan 1st?
>>
>>1501489
Can anyone tell me some shops where I can buy Love Live nesoberis near Shinjuku Station?
>>
>>1502867
I was in Shibyua at halloween this year mate. The streets were jam packed with 15,000 people, 98% of them Japanese. All of them having a good time seeing people dress up or dressed up themselves.
>>
File: mmexport1543824374834.jpg (113 KB, 1360x1080)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>1503043
So, isn't that a cop in the background BTW?
>>
>>1503153
Just Google "寝そべりぬいぐるみ ラブライブ 新宿"
>>
>>1501489
I work from home online.
I want to pack up for 3 to 6 months with my wife and live in Japan for a while.
What's the best town for that?
Needs to be relatively cheap, safe, and have good internet.
Big bonus points for powerlifting gyms near by or good regular gyms.
>>
Going to google this as well, but wanted to ask here too. What’s a temp job for someone who has software and art graphic skills. I can speak fluent Russian and English but no Japanese. A lot of my friends suggested to go into JET. They said you don’t really need to know how to speak Japanese anyways. But they also warned me the pay is awful. So it’s like, I have a lot of skills to offer... just don’t know Japanese.
>>
File: DSC00420.jpg (462 KB, 1616x1080)
462 KB
462 KB JPG
pic related is a cute dog i saw at the fish market
Just came back from my first time 3 week visit.
I miss it already, I had a great time.

I also miss this tune a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkDmwZ9pO1o
>>
>>1502842
I stayed at the Apa in Asakusa near Tawaramachi and I had a great time. They have a onsen/pool on the top floor and you can see the city.
>>
File: DtK-a4OV4AEHHiD.jpg (163 KB, 800x1100)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
Is a pocket wifi necessary if you only travel around Tokyo?
Are there a lot of shops around with free wifi?
>>
>>1503238
I bought a Mobal sim card which was significantly cheaper and is easier as it doesn't require charging and carrying another device.

Free WiFi wasn't as available as I thought.
>>
After working in a Japanese restaraunt in Canada for about a year and meeting all the japanese kids who worked there on a working holiday. I have been planning on living a year in Japan as I love the food and am big fan of the indie music scene there. I spent 2 weeks in March in Tokyo/Osaka to see of my weeb dreams would be crushed, but I actually really enjoyed my solo travel experience and want to go through with my plan to spend a year.

The thing is I would like to try something different from just doing tokyo again and would like to live in Sapporo for the skiing and weather,(I hear they have cooler summers and very cold/snowy winters which are ideal for me) as well as just a less cliche trip. I am worried about if the music scene has anything close to what it was like in Tokyo. I liked the smaller shoegaze/mathrock/prog type stuff.

Also my Japanese is quite limited but I can read ひらがなとカタカナ and some the most common Kanji, as well as a decent ammount of speaking and listening experience from work. So I could expand my moon if communication with people in Sapporo is as bad as I heard it was from co-workers.

ty for reading my blog

Would you reccomend a working holiday in Sapporo for someone who likes the live music scene, or Sapporo in general? Y/N
>>
>>1503212
>3 to 6 months
How do you handle the visa status on that?
>>
>>1503206
I gotcha there. Thanks!
>>
>>1503258
Get it by there now,
>>
Looking to rent Ivideo Pocket Wifi for 4 weeks use in japan.
Been looking around, lots of mixed reviews, but most say it works in Japan.
anyone experience?
>>
>>1503268
I mean you could easily use it on your digital camera also, It worked really well for me at first.
>>
>>1503249
N
>>
>>1503268
I've used them on my 2 visits and it worked perfectly fine. The only issue I had is that there was one instance where the thing just got stuck on the home screen (wifi itself was still functional), but I managed to find a way to reset the thing and it worked fine afterwards.

I do remember one person here mentioning that he had issues with it while in Okinawa, but I think he also mentioned that the weather might've something to do with it.
>>
>>1502867
Partly true, at least when we're speaking about Tokyo. A lot of the younger generations love Halloween as it gives them an excuse to dress up and party. But the general public is starting to get annoyed by it all.
>>
File: sf4.jpg (162 KB, 1280x720)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
Is there any special name for the rivers like this with hill on both sides and the rocks you can step across in the water? How common are they in Tokyo?
>>
>>1503290
Maybe nearby the Yokohoma river I'd say.
>>
>>1503290
The area between the river and the slope is called 河川敷, or flood plain/river terrace.
>>
>>1503230
very cute dog
>>
>>1502971
OK, so my budget has shifted quite a bit. I may only have £500 per month to spend, about 72000 yen.
Bearing in mind that my course and accommodation are already paid for, will this be enough? Or should I wait to get some more money together?
>>
>>1503290
Those are just flood plains, you can find them near any river really

>>1503249
> I have been planning on living a year in Japan
Good luck getting a year visa for anything that isn't a sponsored work visa
>>
>>1503372
>£500 per month to spend, about 72000 yen.
So that's roughly a little over £16 or 2,400 yen per day. It's doable for sure, but you won't be eating out or spending much during your free time.
>>
>>1503372
As the other anon said, 2,400 yen a day is completely doable the biggest chunk of your cash will be coming out of transportation. You may want to look into either bringing a bike over or buying one there to cut out costs of train passes.

2 day subways passes are 720 yen but still for a long time a bike makes more sense economically. Don't think you can just walk everywhere unless you have very good shoes, and/or don't care about your feet.
>>
>>1503373
>Student Visa
>Working Holiday Visa
Check you eligability for those if you plan on staying a year.
>>
>>1503238
Depends, I usually just get a phone for my sim. Wifi is mostly available but not as available as you would thing, aka no free open wifi areas that don't require you to sign up.

willmyphonework.net is a good utility, and if it works with NTT you would be best grabbing https://www.japan-rail-pass.com/services/simcard no limit and decent lengths of time for usage. Pocket wifi is good if you have multiple devices or people needing wifi, other than that a sim is probably the way to go as you don't have to carry more shit around, cheaper, and one less thing to keep charged
>>
Has anyone had their pocket wifi delivered to their hotel? Would they just need my ID give me my package? Etc. I'll be arriving on New year's Eve and I doubt I'll be able to pick up the wifi at Narita.
>>
>>1503460
Narita has wifi pickup and dropoff zones, there is like a wall of wifi vending machines after customs
>>
>>1503461
And how are the chances of getting a ride from Narita into downtown Tokyo?
>>
>>1503472
100% Buses run constantly for 1000 yen(cash only IIRC), the Narita Express if fucking amazing 4000 yen for round trip tickets(valid for 14 days) or covered by the JR pass. Big airports and transportation to and from them don't stop because it's new years, most all of Tokyo will be open. The only things that will be closed for new years in Japan are smaller mom and pop shops, most anything else is open.
>>
>>1503226
You would probably make more on JET than you would using software and graphic design skills.

Use JET to basically finance a gap year or two of travelling in Japan and asia and seeing if you're one of the 1% of people with just the right mix of autism and social anxiety to consider living in Japan long-term.
>>
>>1503460
>I'll be arriving on New year's Eve

I think you may be overthinking just how unimportant new years is to Tokyo. While yes it is a big thing and important to many families, it doesn't shut down tokyo or main cities for that matter. As a tourist the biggest issue you'll have to deal with is small food shops closed, some small trinket stores, gardens, and museums closed. Tokyo is one of the biggest cities on the planet and isn't closing up shop because new years. Sure offices may be closed or running a skeleton crew, but that won't affect you by any means aside from some shops possibly being more crowded. Trains will be running, buses shuttling, and taxi's making a killing in profits. Your chain resturaunts will all be open, 711's lawsons and other stores open; just count on some shops closing up early.

Unless you are going to some small town like Takayama, you shouldn't notice all the much closed that would hinder your plans.
>>
>>1503048
The only cure is going back to Japan, sorry. I still remember how neutral it felt to be back home. Always get more culture shock coming back to the US than being in Japan
>>
>>1503475
Thanks, I'll find out a little bit more and then see about that once I've arrived there.
>>
Could someone please post that website that shows upcoming live music events in Tokyo? Can’t even remember the name
>>
File: anki-dec-2018.png (45 KB, 676x430)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
I've studied Japanese for the past year. I've been using Anki and I'm up to nearly 1000 mature words, pic related. Not a huge weeb really, just wanted to learn a difficult and interesting language with lots of good media to consume for practice. I'm planning for my trip to Japan this March.

What are some travel trips specific for someone who knows the language well enough to hold simple conversations?

What are the best places to practice my Japanese?

Will knowing Japanese help me make friends? Will it help me meet single women?

The Japan General OP often says "Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese". I see this one has a caveat. What about people that do speak some Japanese? How will my experience be different?

Anything helps, thanks /trv/.
>>
>>1503602
>What are some travel trips specific for someone who knows the language well enough to hold simple conversations?
That a lot of Japanese probably won't talk to you unless at a bar, social event, or something like that, trains are usually dead quite and people don't walk and talk all that much, unless it's business people don't talk all that much over lunch either.

>What are the best places to practice my Japanese?
bars, common areas in hostels, arcades, parks, etc. You might actually find more people attempting to touch up on their English more than anything though. Your Japanese will be appreciated a bit at restaurants and stores but it will pretty much be the same song and dance at each location. Also talking to anyone before noon is down right next to impossible most the time since everyone is constantly fucking go-go-go mode.

>Will knowing Japanese help me make friends? Will it help me meet single women?
Yes and yes

>The Japan General OP often says "Japan's sex industry is almost completely inaccessible to foreigners who do not speak Japanese".
That's more of a meme than anything, you should have 0 issues with getting into the industry if you aren't a dumbass. The biggest leg up you'll have is the ability to understand if someone is trying to rip you off a bit easier, but you should be fine so long as not listening to nigerians in shinjuku. Japanese will come in handy if you are going to go to a club or bar and the ability to really talk with women; probably the biggest gain is here for knowing japanese. Japanese will just kinda help you understand the signage for a massage shop or soapshops, though more and more will have a girl standing outside or some kind of english lettering depending. Love hotels will generally only be in Japanese though, and are almost always cash only.

You're probably going to be kinda shocked at how non talkative Japanese are unless they have a beer in their hands.
>>
>>1503602
Also you might find it kind of funny how many people will be speaking English phrases to you in Tokyo. There is a sizable push in both the business front and the government front to get English phrases down for the upcoming Olympics.
>>
>>1503519
I see. I have only ever been to Japan a few times during cherry blossom season/Golden Week. Really curious to see how different (if at all) the country is during that time.
>>
Hey I'm in Kyoto any of you lads wanna get a pint or karaoke later tonight?
>>
>>1503609
Shit will be as closed about as much as it was for golden week + a few more shops. I went to Japan last golden week and read online about how "oh it's so busy", "oh all things are closed!", and "worst time because it's expensive". None of that seemed to be really true compared to other times I had visited.
>>
>>1501489
How do I convince my mother that I don't want to live in Japan? Ever since I was young, she has been trying to convince my father to move to Japan, since "it would best for our son". She keeps bringing up about how Japan has the best schools and have fewer crimes than America, and how he won't be discriminated by a racist.
>>
>>1503615
>he won't be discriminated by a racist
if he's white, then that's true.
If not, well, bad news for you and your father.
>>
>>1503615
What? Is she Japanese or something?
>>
>>1503615
Your mother is either Japanese or retarded, likely both.
>>
>>1503617
My mother is Japanese.
>>
>>1503615
Explain to her that
>There is far less financial aide for things like schooling, first time home buyer, etc
>You will be working till you are dead or so old you can't enjoy anything
>College compared to American degrees are a joke, useless for the most part outside Japan
>The amount she and your father make will be substantially lower
>you can no longer be dual citizen
>moving out from japan post graduation is a much harder than moving into it
>work/life culture considerably worse
>access to many resources becomes limited

>She keeps bringing up about how Japan has the best schools
She's fucking wrong, Japanese can memorize a lot of functions and facts but critical thinking? HA, public schooling isn't the best I agree but private schools exist in the US and aren't that bad, not to mention most schools have AP or Honor courses. If you're 18, then america has some of the best variety of colleges you have to chose from compared to japan.
>have fewer crimes than America
Yeah, forget the amount of suicides, unreported crime, and other shit that goes on. Japan has also far less car accidents, but also less people driving.

>>1503619
She must have grown up in a really privileged family then because most people who moved out tend to stay out.
>>
I heard that you can trade in stuff at stores for money.
Things like anime figures and similar.
Thinking of bringing some rare American comic books.
Anyone tips for shops that might take this kind of stuff?
>>
>>1503652
You could go to either like a pawnshop or a thrift store to do that.
>>
What should I do if I get checked-out of my room at noon and don’t have a flight until 7 pm over at Haneda.airport?
>>
>>1503753
Play arcades.
>>
>>1503615
Go to Japan, anon. It's better than the United States. You won't die from being shot by a lunatic, you'll get access to the best education in the world. And when you compare the crime rates between Japan and the United States you'll be safer overall. The Japanese will accept you as one of their own
>>
>>1503753
Happened to me before. I just found a locker at a station to store my luggage and just did some last minute exploring, which ended up being Shibuya since for some reason I barely visited the area on that particular trip. One last cheap meal at Genki Sushi and looked at some random crap at Tokyu Hands and Loft
>>
>>1503652
That isn't really true, you trade prizes from pachinko parlors for cash since gambling is technically still illegal they use a loophole to get around it
>>
Maybe slightly unrelated to actual travel, but can't think of a better place to ask.

What about retiring to japan? America is going to shit, and i'd rather save as much money as i can over the rest of my life and retire to a place with good food and good shogi than die in this hellhole. My guess would be its pretty difficult for a foreigner to be allowed to live there though, especially a minimally productive retiree. however home prices actually look pretty good compared to where i live now, so that's a bonus. idk, just an idea. your thoughts on the matter?
>>
>>1503810
America in its worst is still better than Japan at her best, anon.
>>
I'm wondering if there are any delicious restaurants or bistros to dine at like the Man No Bistro in Hong Kong?
>>
>>1502991
I've looked into this, and it looks like the account would be in sterling, not yen. Am I reading it wrong?
>>
>>1503811
i dont like it here. the food is shit, the people are assholes, im tired of it all.

not even one of those faggots who wants to move to japan because anime, i'll go anywhere. japan just seems like one of the nicer places in the world to escape to.
>>
>>1503894
>Japan just seems like one of the nicer places in the world to escape to.
It's not. It's just as equally if not worse than the United States
>>
>>1503894
>>1503810
stay out, you're a subuhman.
>>
>>1503810
>>1503894

As someone who spent July->Sept there, additional months/weeks, and was actively ready to change jobs to move there but didn't let me give you a word of advice. Japan is a great place to VISIT, it is a bad place to LIVE; It is very deceptive in that aspect.

>America is going to shit, and i'd rather save as much money as i can over the rest of my life and retire to a place with good food and good shogi than die in this hellhole.
If you think "ah I'll retire in japan" just as easily as you can in the US hitting 65, moving to Arizona and buying a 20k home for cheap and get decent social security you are dead wrong. Japan will fucking tax and nickel and dime anyone to death before old age, owning a home near any kind of medical resources is tough since you aren't going to be owning a car unless more tax + payments. You'll need to have kids and live above them or some shit.
> however home prices actually look pretty good compared to where i live now, so that's a bonus.
Look into moving elsewhere in america then, Texas, American south, and midwest have plenty of cheaper housing opportunities for you. If you are in a mega city think about moving out of it. Japan is by no means cheaper in housing when you compare what you are actually getting for your Yen/dollar.

>japan just seems like one of the nicer places in the world to escape to.
Japan is probably one of the worst actually, in terms of foreigners getting proper healthcare it's shit, the food is expensive for actually nutritious food, retiree aide is a joke which is why you will go to outskirts of cities/country and see some 80 year old dude manning a make shift produce shop; cash only because can't report that to taxes! America may be going to shit in your eyes but it doesn't sound like you've explored much that is offered.
>>
>>1503652
Yeah what you are hearing is basically >>1503807. Gambling or playing games such as pachinko for cash is illegal, so you win "prizes" you can then take that price walk to a building down a hallway and "sell" it to someone for a set price. There is full legal gambling coming soon though,
https://www.upi.com/Japan-legalizes-casino-gambling-first-resorts-expected-in-mid-20s/3701532103125/

Save your comic books no one will know what to do with your comic books and stuff.
>>
Is my AirBnB host supposed to ask for my passport information? Or should I just send it without being prompted to? I have two places booked in January but neither have asked for a copy of my passport.
>>
>>1503980
Chances are they won't ask just any ID and you confirming via texting. Unless it is an airbnb into a hostel, that's a bit different but they will just run a copy of your passport for records. Generally airbnb does not ask for any kind of extra confirmation that isn't already info you put into airbnb, rarely a host has even checked my ID in japan always took my be first and last name.
>>
>>1503914
t. ALT
>>
>>1503825
Naviguru.com plenty of places around japan, Yokohama has a pretty good china town unless you wanna head to kobe
>>
>>1503989
https://gurunavi.com/

wow fucked that one up, this is the right site
>>
>>1500408
Bumping this
>>
>>1501489
redpill me on JET
>>
>>1503996
What do you mean red pill? Like convenience you that it is a great idea? Because don't think this is the right place or way to go about it all that much. If you don't like kids, aren't adaptive to a massive social and demographical change, and pretty self motivated; you're probably not likely to last more than a year.

You may want to ask here for more info >>1479261 in terms of teaching abroad, and some questions more about the JET program
>>
Aside from basketball, where teams seem to play only a few games a month or so in relatively small gymnasiums, are there any other pro sports events going on in Japan during the month of February?
>>
>>1504001
What do you count skiing as
>>
>>1504004
Fun perhaps so?
>>
>>1503894
The food is shit in Japan you fuck, be glad you live somewhere that has access to a variety of foods. All the good Japanese food has already been exported and can be easily gotten overseas, everything else is meh at best.

Chicken, white rice, weird root vegetables nobody eats outside this country like fuckin gobo, white rice, awful bread, chicken, whale, bland noodle soup, MSG, white rice, chicken ON SKEWERS WHOOOAAA, and white rice sweets. The food here is so bland and devoid of nutrients every expat I know takes vitamin supplements.

White rice is one of the most unhealthy things you can eat by the way. It's full of arsenic and it makes your shits like a chocolate thickshake.
>>
>>1504004
Not something I buy tickets to go watch other people do. Something to do myself, perhaps.
>>
>>1503993
Maybe look into anime events and live music concerts while you are threre? Who knows, maybe your favorite idol or band are performing during your stay.

https://anime.eiga.com/event/ Here is general list of anime/game themed events. Release events for latest shows, stage plays, seiyuu concerts
https://www.eventernote.com/events/ - same, but more focus on music. Check both.
https://collabo-cafe.com/ - collaboration cafe list
Also search for "オタク イベント" at google and twitter.

>>1503595
>Could someone please post that website that shows upcoming live music events in Tokyo?
Check eventernote website I linked above if you are into anime/seiyuu music.
For other music you can check "playguides" (l-tike, e-plus, pia). I prefer e plus event list. Pick genre on the left and look through events.
https://eplus.jp/sys/main.jsp?uji.verb=GGWA01_select&uji.bean=G.apl.web.bean.JOAG010101Bean&topFileName=TOP_001_00_100.jsp&uketsukeInfoKubun=001&ZScreenId=GGWA01
You can also check bandsintown, although I don't really like it.
And Tokyo Gig Guide
http://www.tokyogigguide.com/en/
>>
>>1504128
are you too poor to afford seafood, beef, fruits and vegetables or something? Must be some loser English teacher
>>
File: 1526516834390.gif (1.68 MB, 134x134)
1.68 MB
1.68 MB GIF
Any leaf-fags know where to find a cheaper better flight from YYZ to japan? I also have questions:
>is 20 hours a pretty normal flight time?
>is Osaka still cheaper to fly to or straight to Tokyo?
>is February a cheaper-ish time to go?

Best I found was between $800-$900 in February. This'll be my first time travelling ever so sorry if my questions aggravate some of you.
>>
File: Japan_Tohoku_Map.png (1.41 MB, 2538x3000)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB PNG
My friend and I are planning a trip from where we're at in Kyoto right now up to Sapporo and back around the end of December. I know plane travel's the cheapest way by far, so we're planning on flying up from Osaka, but she wants to stop at a few places in Tohoku on the way back (I was thinking Aomori, then Sendai and then Tokyo or Nagoya) so she doesn't want to fly back.

Does anyone have tips on how to do this without just taking the shinkansen the entire way? The highway bus from Sendai to Tokyo looks like it'd work fine, and I was thinking of taking the ferry from Hakodate to Aomori since it's less pricey than the shinkansen line, but is there any easy way to get from there to Sendai? All the buses I'm finding want you to get the Tohoku 4-day bus pass.

I'm not too familiar with places in Tohoku/Kanto myself though, so maybe there's a better way to plan all this out. Should I just bite the bullet and fly back?
>>
>>1504193
what's wrong with getting the Tohoku 4 day pass if you want to stop in places along the way?

Also do not spend time in Nagoya, there's nothing there. Go to Tokyo instead
>>
>>1504191
With one stop included, 20 hours would be relatively average though probably on the high end. Your minimum travel time to Japan would be the nonstop from YYZ to HND at around 13 and a half hours. And personally, I'd just book to get to/from Tokyo first and then handle domestic travel separately from there.
>>
>>1504198
Thanks a lot anon! What about pricing? Any particular website /trv/ uses?
>>
Hey fucktards I'm in Kyoto. I want to drink and the karaoke but I'm not going to do it myself, who wants to join me?
>>
>>1502852
Matsuzaka Beef is where it is, but rarely do foreigners go off the beaten "Kobe beef" path.
>>
>>1504208
PM'd :)
>>
>>1503621
just chiming in to say more or less in the right ballpark.
>>
>>1503894
Japan is nice to visit for the culture, food, girls etc. However, living here is another story...
>>
>>1504128
>devoid of nutrients
>longest life expectancy in the world

Are you the guy who shits up every Japan thread because he works a soul sucking job and had a dead end marriage?
>>
>>1504128
>The food is shit in Japan
Hahahahah.

Not to defend Japan or compare its food to other countries, but food in Japan is far from shit. I understand not liking Japanese foods due to personal tastes, the overall quality is pretty darn good.
>>
File: 1409877614901.jpg (28 KB, 362x409)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>1504210
Isn't most japanese beef shit though? I want the melt in your mouth orgasm stuff like I see people on youtube talk about so I can brag back home.

PS: wtf is this A5 crap? just give me the Kobe waygu beef! LOL!
>>
>>1504323
>Isn't most japanese beef shit though?
Not sure where got that impression from (or if you're actually serious give the rest of the post), but the beef in Japan is fine. They offer the normal stuff you would normally find in North America from super markets or restaurants, and also the mouth melting cuts that people always talk about.

If you really want to know about beef grading system in Japan, just google it. I found this site that explains it pretty well:
http://wagyu.org/breed-info/meat-grading/
>>
>>1504334
The post was a joke m8
>>
Any recommendations for what to see in Nikko?
>>
>>1504351
Kegon falls
Shinkyo bridge
Nikko Tosho-gu, Rinnoji and temples around Nikko Futarasan
Tamozawa Village

Day trip complete
>>
Less than 2 weeks to go, excited to see some good snow up in Hokkaido
>>
Any specific socks I should wear while traveling? 17hrs of flight time, last time my feet would swell up for ~2-3 days after flying and want to prevent it.
>>
>>1504418
Easy breathing socks for the flight
>>
>>1504364
Thanks for this, anon.
>>
are there any places in Animeland where I can sell Manga? It's in mint condition, my stupid brother bought all of these manga then left for Yurop without them and said I could do with them whatever I wanted. I plan on selling them.

They're in Japanese if it weren't obvious...
>>
>>1504485
Second hand shops will sometimes take in things, or access them for trade in for cash value. Hope you understand Japanese in a conversational level though. Since your average manga is going to be something like 300-800 yen; expect something like 100-300 yen per comic. If they are out of the wrapper forget it, no one is going to take it. Mandrake bookstores are probably your best bet.
>>
I realized there really isn't much I want to do in Tokyo other than walk into what I think might be a good restaurant & wander into as many shops as possible which will be a little dull for a week long trip. Outside of that I'd walk into any park or interesting attraction I come by, but was wondering if Tokyo Adult Guide is up to date? Has anyone tried Escorts in Japan before? I really don't trust finding that sort of thing at red light districts, and it doesn't help you can't exactly walk into anywhere you want as a gaijin.
>>
>>1504532
>Tokyo Adult Guide
No idea what that is but it's probably just going to point you to one of the MANY soap shops you can find around japan. Bunny girl in Ikebukoro is pretty good for the cost, under 150 USD you can nab about 45 minutes for their morning services if memory serves. If you want a fling thing use tinder, or go to HUB around tokyo for someone to pick up at a bar, generally mid 20's.

>it doesn't help you can't exactly walk into anywhere you want as a gaijin.
Assuming you don't look poor or a huge xXxweebanimesamuraixXx, you shouldn't really have any hard time being approached by some girls wanting to take you into their soap shop or massage parlor. Just avoid shinjuku and the blacks.
>>
>>1504533
>blacks
That's anywhere.
>avoid shinjuku
What district would you recommend? The black guys with cheap Korean/Chinese girls made me paranoid of red light districts, but it's probably true that if you just wander around someone will accept me. I imagine a guy approaching me = suspicious, and a cute girl = more legit.
Also Tokyo Adult Guide is just a forum for these topics, but I'm 99% interested in escort-type stuff and they only shared 3 websites that were "foreigner friendly": Asian Mystique, Nasty Dolls, and Club Boo. Would appreciate as much info concerning this topic so I don't end up with cheap chinks or end up charged and with no date and cut contact. No idea how legit the Tokyo scene can be outside of scamming Nigerians and it's kind of hard to find info, but these three websites at the very least should be legit since there's an entire forum of people on this website and they recommend them.
>>
>>1504582
Do you mean Traveling to Hokkaido? Where in? Sapporo? Hakodate? Asahikawa? Wakkanai? Nemuro?

If you mean the outskirt islands enjoy nothing to do other than hiking, and this time of year it is not possible. Hope you are going during the summer next year, most those islands you'll have nothing to do but walk around/bike. The outskirt islands have virtually no shrines or temples worth mentioning, not many musuems or iconic sites, but a great great place to ensure your japanese is spot on.

One thing I will say, if you go to the small outer islands you will be "whoa look white man!" and talk of the town; same with the eastern part of the main island
>>
>>1504180
Hey mate, you seem to have good knowledge in this area.
I only a little while ago finally watched K-ON, from that i got a bit of a taste for that style of music and I'm in japan right now so i would love to go see some live music/singing that is like K-ON.
I'm not big into music scene (especially japanese) so i have less than no idea what genre or style it would be or how i'd find real life groups like K-ON. Could you give me any pointers? Or straight up tell me bands that fit and if they would be performing anytime in the next 2 weeks? (if feeling generous).
I would appreciate any help you can give.
>>
>>1504239
Well don't a lot of them take vitamins (and or get them from drinks and other shit), so the food is kinda devoide of good nutrients but they get it back from those.
I'd say a big contributor to their life expectancy is their attitude to physical activity, everyone fucking walks or cycles tons even old people, this is literally one of the best things you can do to stay healthy, physical activity is the best medicine for basically every problem a person can have.
>>
what is the best way to travel? especially in japan,should i pick a place and walk around randomly and find weird and cool places or should i book in and do a bunch of touristy shit?
>>
Pls no bully. where can I play fortnite?. Arrived for thr first time and staying at shinjuku. Saw a drunk male host stagger home around at 5pm lol. Anty internet,gaming cafes that sure to have fortnite installed? I know my best bet would be a chinese/korean lounge, but I don't want to spend all day looking and turned away.
>>
>>1504656
kys
>>
>>1504613
Hey! No problem. I can't promise something that sounds just like K-On, but I can recommend you some girl rock bands performing in Japan in next two weeks:
Mary's Blood
https://marysblood.futureartist.net/event
(If I could, Iwould probably go to 17th Dec with solo appearance of Mary's Blood member event because there are several bands performing, and Necronomidol is among them)

BAND-MAID
Quite a schedule!
https://bandmaid.tokyo/calendar
Went to one of their recent lives in Europe, will go and see them in Japan in January. Don't miss them (unless tickets are sold out).

Babysitter
They seem cute, might be to your liking. Performing at 19th Dec in Osaka with two other bands.
https://www.babysitter.band/tour

Silent Siren
http://silent-siren.com/live/

Gacharic Spin
They are cool, but not exactly in next two weeks. Might be interesting to some people though!
http://www.gacharicspin.com/live.html

Яeal (Real)
http://www.realgirlsband.com/live/
22nd Dec, together with Babysitter

You might check other bands from this website http://www.gb-rankings.com/ or maybe look around for more niche music.
>>
>>1504656
Die in a fire.
>>
>>1504646
mix of those two desu, leaning towards planned, but with time for random wandering.
>>
>>1504687
How do we know what your current financial system? There is no way we can answer that.

If you have the funds, the only issue will be finding a landlord willing to rent/buy from as majority of them will refuse foreigners of any kind. You will more than likely need to have a Japanese person do all the logistics to work it all out, but why would you? Your childhood in Tokyo is certainly not the same as an adult surviving. I think you should reevaluate your decision as this is more of a dream than a reality. Not to mention space is extremely limited so even if you do manage to snag a place, you'll more than likely be living in a shoe box
>>
>>1504336
Given what I've seen posted here, it's sometimes hard to tell
>>
>>1504532
Tokyo Adult Guide is pretty up to date, and will at least give you a general idea of level of service of specific shops and which of them allow foreigners. But shops change their policies all the time and sometimes it simply depends on who's working there on that day.
>>
Anyone has any experience rock climbing in Japan?
>>
>>1504239
Long life expectancy doesn't mean that much when you realize
>japan has no standing military force around the globe
>far less car accidents
>far less gang violence
>single race for the most part meaning focusing on health issues is easy(protip: blacks die much younger bringing the avg way down)
>far less fatal natural disasters

Like the other anon said, most often have to take a shit load of vitamins daily in order to keep going. If you've ever been to Japan and did any sizable amount of moving around after say a week, you'll notice it. Not to mention you're kinda forced to go to the doctor if working past a certain age and health care tax is not that cheap depending where you live.

Life expectancy is only one of many factors in understanding a countries well being.
>>
>>1504754
>>1504754
i know this is offtopic /int/ shit but
>don't move to japan because healthcare is expensive
>don't move to europe because healthcare is paid for with expensive taxes
>don't move to america because healthcare is expensive
>don't move to australia because it's simply expensive
where the fuck is it a good place to move then? botswana?
>>
>>1504617
>>1504754
>Vitamins and excercise can totally compensate for a shitty diet

Neither of you has even a basic knowledge of health and nutrition. Diet is 70% of your overall well being.

I live in Japan. Japanese people have pretty good diets. They eat a lot of fermented foods and vegetables, and they don’t over eat as much as people do in other developed countries.

It’s why they also have lowest rate of obesity in the developed world.
>>
>>1504848
Didn't say vitamins supplements make up for everything but most Japanese do actively take daily supplements of them; compared to say americans who don't. I commonly bike about 16 miles a day(8 miles to and from work, 8 miles to and from lunch) + 1 hour of weights after work, though according to BMI that WHO uses I am considered obese.

Worked in Japan for a while, the ability to keep up with my normal gym activities like I did at home suffered quite a bit due to the average meal lacking in protien, broad range of vitamins and minerals, and such. Diet and exercise is vital to staying healthy, but just being thin on a BMI chart does not automatically make you healthier than someone else.

>Japanese people have pretty good diets.

Americans have good diets, and some have shit ones it depends. Blanket statements like these are bad when dealing with millions of people, demographics, races, etc. I know a good amount of japs that if I gave them my 20kg dumbell they would have a pretty hard time, though I can do curls with one arm. Really just depends on the person
>>
>>1504853
https://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2009/north-america-asia-lead-vitamin-and-supplement-usage.html

>In the U.S., 62 percent of respondents said they took vitamins and supplements to ensure a balanced diet, a response only matched by Japan with 60 percent.

Well it looks like you're wrong kiddo.

>Americans have good diets, and some have shit ones it depends. Blanket statements like these are bad when dealing with millions of people, demographics, races, etc. I know a good amount of japs that if I gave them my 20kg dumbell they would have a pretty hard time, though I can do curls with one arm. Really just depends on the person

Probably 99% of the people who classify as obese are actually fat fucks and not people built like they play middle line backer in the NFL.
>>
>>1504860
>Well it looks like you're wrong kiddo.
People consider vitamin water in america to be a all inclusive vitamin for the day, or something like yogurt a good supplement for health, or add guac to something because super food for health! ... Let that sync in.
>Probably 99% of the people who classify
If you're 6'1 and over 182 pounds you are obese
>>
>>1504864
No you aren’t, you’re overweight.

You would be obese at 227 lbs.
>>
>>1504597
I'm african american. I hope those islanders dont hunt me like a dolphin
>>
>>1504897
Just don’t be a overly sensitive snowflake
Saw a black kid at the mall connected to Kyoto station circling around trying to catch everyone’s attention for directions
I went up to him, tried to help and suggested he check out the directory and information booth
Don’t be that guy and remember that you are on vacation so relax
>>
>>1503996
It's basically wasting over half a year of your life to play the lottery; you get one chance to get placed ANYWHERE in Japan. You're better off doing the private eikaiwa route honestly, speaking as someone currently on JET.
>>
>>1504802
Stay where you are and improve your own standard of living maybe? It would be easier than up and starting again in a new country, especially one with a totally different language and culture.
>>
>>1504848
You, like the Japanese, are conflating being healthy with being skinny. There's huge social pressure to be skinny in Japan, plus nobody has any time thanks to the long work hours, so people often skip meals. Most of the girls I've dated here will be skinny, but have just one meal a day of total shit, like fried garbage, karaage, McDonalds, etc. Plus everybody smokes and drinks heavily thanks to work stress and social pressure. You're fooling yourself if you think Japanese people are healthy just because they're skinny.

And another thing - fruit is fucked expensive here. Honestly, I eat better on my trips to mainland China than I ever do living in Japan. The food is simply cheaper and healthier there, in a country where you have to boil the fucking water. But tell this to any sexpat weeaboo or Japanese and they'll start banging on about their precious, bland washoku...
>>
>>1504924
> you get one chance to get placed ANYWHERE in Japan.
This really needs to be restated hard, just because you get into a teaching gig the chances they actually give a shit about what you reply "would like to work in" is irrelevant. Great you got in, but the position you get may be in greatest spot on earth or bumfuck town nowhere. Getting in is a gamble, getting somewhere ideal is yet another gamble.

>>1504928
>You, like the Japanese, are conflating being healthy with being skinny.
This so much. Being in shape is more than just being thin. Being thin is one indicator, but it's not the sole indicator. The amount of working class people that are barely functional day to day without taking a huge dose of vitamin C or other supplements is honestly fairly depressing, as is the amount of people who routinely eat the discount lawsons/711/familymart shit. I always seem to have the same talks each time I come back from japan about how yeah japanese food is a shit load of carbs and fats/oils. As per the average income in japan most don't afford the things most people take for granted like fruits, veggies, and other common things that help fend off sickness, provide good amounts of energy, and ability to grow tall. I'll believe japanese are more healthy when I don't see a good bit of them smoking, slamming back beers, and passing out every chance they get.
>>
>>1504928
No, I’m not. I’m correlating to the fact that they live longer than anywhere else in the world, they’re least likely to obese in the world and they have some of the lowest rates of heart disease in the world (despite having a fairly high number of smokers).

I’m not saying they’re perfect, they have pretty high sodium intake thanks to all the onions sauce and onions sauce based products, but in general they eat better than most of the developed world and your anecdotal evidence doesn’t disprove that.
>>
>>1504940
Live expectancy is not a good way to gauge things like that. There are a shit load of factors that lower life expectancy that are not health related. Such as, natural disasters, car crashes, instant infant death syndrome, amount of immigrants from countries with far lower life expediencies, war, crime, etc. If you think average life expectancy = everyone is substantially, ooh boy you have a lot of learning to do. Dieting is important sure we agree, and you can do it as can ANYONE. Doesn't mean just because one higher average.

Example: I could say the US wins far more medals than japan on average per Olympic, thus Americans must be in far better physical condition than japan!
>>
>>1504943
>that’s totally the same thing
You’re really grasping at straws here buddy.
>>
File: life term.png (4 KB, 132x120)
4 KB
4 KB PNG
>>1504946
You're assuming a correlation is factual basis for the dieting Japanese do for being healthier, which isn't logical or true. Again look at the factors that play into average life span, Japan has far far fewer factors that could lower life span compared to US. Using average life span for any argument is generally stupid. Besides, even if it was the major factor, you are looking at a 5 year average difference; wow eating like they do for 75+ years really is a night and day difference isn't it! For some country with so many different factors like the US has, that's pretty on par.
>>
>>1504949
I'd rather die 5 years earlier than live, eat and work for 80+ years as a Japanese desu.
>>
>>1504949
>still only focusing on life expetancy
Ok, they’re still a lot less fucking fatter and and have lower rates of heart disease
>>
>>1504954
You are the one who kept bringing it up dude which is why I kept breaking your argument down. The post I was replying to you used it as a fact.

>they’re still a lot less fucking fatter and and have lower rates of heart disease
What is stopping you from proper diet and exercise to proactively prevent that? It sure as shit won't change overnight simply because you move there. If you don't know self control to keep your own weight and health in check, going "oh japan..." won't do anything other than start to make you sound like an uninformed weeb worshiping japan without having worked/lived there
>>
>>1504955
So you’re saying that Japanese people tend have a better diet, which was my original point
>>
>>1504957
Again I didn't say they have a good diet, I pointed out to your post where you expressed concerns about heart problems and fatness

>fatness
eat less calories, you'll lose weight otherwise you have some hiccup physics. You can lose weight eating nothing but potato chips so long as you burn more calories than you put in.
>heart problems
exercising can help prevent it but is not the sole resolution, if it runs in your family walking daily which people should do is proactive to combating it.

I was addressing two concerns that may seem to affect you personally.
>>
>>1504957
>>1504959
Okay, you guys are now aggressively agreeing with each other
>>
>>1504959
Why do you think I’m fat? All I did was point out that Japanese people eat better than most of the developed world and you seemed to take offense to that. I am American after all, and a lot of Americans do in fact eat like total shit. So do Japanese people, but at a lower rate than in the US. Again, statistics don’t lie.

My in-laws and I mostly eat a lot of vegetables and my dinner typically includes at least a salad, and some type of cooked vegtables and I eat more fish in a month now than I did in a year in the US. A lot of my co-workers eat in a similar manner. You also keep harping on conbini food but unlike in the US, cheap healthy options are readily available inside pretty much all convenience stores in Japan. Japanese people also don’t drink as many sugary drinks and their bread products don’t contain as much sugar. Sure, you can eat healthy anywhere, but Japan is easymode when it comes to healthy eating.
>>
Anyone wanna get together today or tomorrow? I'm in Osaka until Sunday, and after that I'm in Tokyo until the 20th
If any of you guys wanna hit me up message me on this discord, there are a couple others of us during December.

https://discord.gg/R8drUZ3
>>
Where can I buy a shipping label online for shipping something back to the US from within Japan?
>>
>>1505001
There are quite a few shops depends what you want to ship back, question is what. If it's fairly heavy you'll probably be better off getting a 3000 yen suitcase there, then checking in an extra bag. Most flights allow for 2 checked bags + carry on + personal item.

Weight will usually be the killer, UPS/FedEx exist there

https://www.post.japanpost.jp/cgi-charge/index.php?lang=_en

You should be able to calculate some stuff here. Japan post offices are all over.
>>
Does Japan carry OTC boner pills like in the shit you find at gas stations in the states?

If not what would be the closet nip equivalence?
>>
>>1505016
I got ED here and can't get a thing without seeing a urinologist, just go in soft or defame her face imo.

Or his face since it's 2018 -ftw
>>
>>1504963
You're retarded. I live here, the Japanese diet is shit. They just eat considerably less than westerners and that does it. Calories.
>>
I'm so glad all the retards stay in Tokyo, can't remember the last time I saw a foreigner I didn't know where I live and it's wonderful.
>>
File: IMG_20181120_195829.jpg (2.52 MB, 4640x2610)
2.52 MB
2.52 MB JPG
I ate here at Roppongi in my first night in Tokyo. I cant read moonrunes so I dont know the name of the place. I forgot the directions there too. Can someone tell me where this is?
>>
>>1505078
麺屋武蔵
http://menya634.co.jp/storelist/roppongi/
>>
File: looks-about-right.jpg (588 KB, 1920x967)
588 KB
588 KB JPG
>>1505081
>>
>>1505081
>>1505082
Thank you!
>>
Completely serious here. I'm going to Japan with my sister and we (she) will be attending various cosplay events. How far could I legally go to protect her from perverts and whatnot before getting into real trouble?
>>
I am leaving tomorrow and would like to know where I can get some japanese snacks that would not be available in Europe.

[Spoiler]I am also interested on a JAV where western woman are subjected to japanese sexual defeneracy. Any tips about where can I find such items?[/spoiler]
>>
real nigga hours in Kyoto
>>
>>1505036
First time leaving tokyo, and the shin-osaka belt? Enjoy, japan gets 1000x better the minute you leave that area
>>
>>1505123
>How far could I legally go to protect her from perverts and whatnot before getting into real trouble?

She won't have any trouble, Japanese are very hands off despite what you might believe in meme-verse. Cosplayed at comiket, retaisai, and a few other events; touching cosplay is a nono and everyone asks first. You're more likely to have creeps in America than japan with shit pulled. Just pointing and yelling "hentai" would be enough to stop most anyone dead in their tracks from doing anything.

Unless she says it is okay with her cosplay to others then nothing will happen because the social stigma of the crowd will ground pound him into committing sudoku.
>>
So I'm going to be in Japan from the 9th to the 23rd. I'm on my own starting on the 17th and the first week is going to be up in Tokyo. I've got the JR pass for both weeks and was wondering what I should check out in that second week. I have a friend who lives in Wakayama and can use that as a base. I was somewhat interested in checking out Nagasaki and seeing the old Cathedral and some other stuff like the peace park etc. I'd like to spend some time in Osaka as well. I'm just not entirely sure how to spend my time after my heavily itineraries Tokyo time. We'll be seeing Kyoto and some stuff up there.

I guess my question is what is some good stuff to do in the Osaka area and is Nagasaki worth the trip out that way from Osaka?
>>
>>1505195
>I was somewhat interested in checking out Nagasaki
Nagasaki takes a reasonable amount of time to get to and from since no shinkensan runs there, you have to do something like Osaka->fukuoka->limited express to nagasaki. I think it takes like 5 or 6ish hours forget how long it was last time I took it. Expect to spend a night there if you want to explore nagasaki properly, or fly.

Osaka is a good base for jumping around to koyto(worth a few days but no night life); while Nara/Himeji/Hiroshima/Kobe are all good day trips to do.

>Wakayama
I would avoid staying this far down since you're going to have a bit of a time getting up to Osaka and using your JR pass where it counts most on the high speed rail lines. If you only have 6 days I would just find a neat place in Osaka to stay hotel/hostel and then make that home base to quickly jet all around to see things.
>>
>>1505189
I'm more worried about gaijin perverts trying to make a move than Japanese perverts
>>
>>1505189
>social stigma
Glances at pervert with a disappointed gaze
>>
>>1505237
Tell them to fuck off then
>>
>>1504738
>But shops change their policies all the time and sometimes it simply depends on who's working there on that day.
Not getting an escort would literally ruin the whole trip. I'm not a normalfag who wants to insert penis into vagina, I want a fat ass Jap in seifuku literally sitting on and suffocating my face. I hope I won't have to settle for ugly skinny girls, or have racist managers working everything for a whole week.
>>
>>1505237
>>1505189

If your sister is cosplaying in Japan of all places, pretty sure she has been to some US based cons already then. Probably knows better than you how to take care of herself, besides. Cosplaying is only allowed in specific areas for, presumably what you are going to is comiket, so unless the creep is deranged and looking to actively ruin his life nothing will happen.
>>
>>1504538
To be fair, if it isnt a big Nigerian, it might be a sleezy looking Japanese native trying to tempt you with whatever they where offering, like Sex... In Shinjuku anyway. For all i know, he could had been hitting on me. I got bad vibes from Mr Might be Yakuza Man. Besides, i can get it for relatively free.

At least if you picked up someone at Hub or through Tinder/Skout/Whatever, it wouldn't be the end of the world if you came prematurely, right? I wouldn't know how those soap lands really operate, if the session ends if you do, yadda yadda. It seems like a lot of money to accidentally burn in the first 5 minutes because you blew your load without thinking. That would make me more paranoid.
>>
US here and visiting Tokyo at the end of this month, would it be better to exchange currency at my bank beforehand or to do it in Japan when I arrive there?
>>
>>1505333
Before hand usually, through your bank if possible. Sometimes the card will work but check what fees you get for using cards overseas
>>
>>1504538
>What district would you recommend?

Honestly go to HUB and look sociable in beer giving, no a tshirt and jeans is no. Kanagawa, or Yokohama, you'll get something good there.

In all honesty a Nigerian is just a red flag, if some dude in a business suit comes up to you and asks you how you are doing in english just give some answers in japanese and they will kinda tend to flake off. Escorts aren't worth it in japan, unless you have seriously deep pockets.
>>
>>1505343
I was thinking of withdrawing first and just exchanging cash over there to avoid fees. I was mostly wondering if the exchange rate would be better over there or at home
>>
>>1505352
My strongest advice is this just because I had a few run ins with bank fuck ups
>get from the bank everything you need to pay for hostel/hotel visits
>add 20 or 50 dollars worth of yen on top of that per day visiting for food/transportation
>draw out the rest out in japan

as per exchange rates realize the exchange rate according to google is often not what you would get even if you withdrawl. It's common for banks to do 1-10% withdraw fee + 5 dollar fee out for out of bank atm + atm bank fee.

So if you pull out say 10,000 yen you could lose 20%, where at a bank before you may lose like 3-5%. Just call and ask before heading over. Exchanging at airports is bad, and exchanging in japan CAN be very difficult depending on what you plan to exchange. Airports often go +15% usually Travelex runs them and you can get knocked 20-25% ez. 711 ATMs are all over usually charge 298-500 yen per transaction to exchange and is pretty good.

I use wells fargo, I get charged 3% + ATM fee, so usually I am only losing about 5 bucks, but my rate of changing in the US is about 3% loss, but no added fees.
>>
>>1505352
And really exchange rates aren't really better anywhere, most banks exchange currency on a global market, using the american dollar in japan is just a "wtf is this dude" thing. google yen to usd and that's about what you'll get anywhere
>>
>>1505349

So, dress smart and offer pints?

Seems simple enough.
>>
Anyone here done the Shikoku 88? I was in Matsuyama in 2016 and met a German guy who did the whole thing but I wanted some more opinions before bothering with it myself.
>>
>>
Is Tokyo the only city with niggers and the other rabble? I know it's overwhelming majority ethnic Japanese but I just don't want to be disappointed, like diversity areas that I should avoid
>>
>>1505283
>Not getting an escort would literally ruin the whole trip
am i on /trv/
>>
>>1505478
You certainly are now.
>>
So I'm attending a school in Osaka for a year starting in January. I have just about everything figured out + been studying Japanese for six years.
I'm going to be buying a new laptop solely for this upcoming school year and was wondering if I should purchase it here and use my prong converter, or if I should just buy one when I get there?
>>
>>1505614
Purchase at home, for the love of everything good purchase at home. The amount of bullshit software, random ass drivers, and other shit you'll need to deal with is shit. You won't really get any better deal over there compared to home either. If US then the wall jacks are the same.
>>
>>1505616
Thanks bud, that's kind of what I was assuming but always good to get confirmation.
>>
>>1505636
No worries, I am an IT guy and my friends asked me first time I went over for some of those "cool deals in akihabara". Fun fact, there virtually are none, sure you can get a windows 7 desktop 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive and an amd dual core from 8 years ago for 40 bucks but do you want to? My biggest gripe with the shit I found in japan for electronics is that the custom keyboard software is fuck all annoying if you want to type in english, the cameras ALWAYS have some stupid fucking pre installed filter to layover a face and has to make a sound when photo is taken, and so much bloatware you may as well just reformat.
>>
>>1505639
Wew, I definitely do not want to deal with that while I'm adjusting to life in a foreign land and preparing for school.
>>
>japan in 1 week
>got basically all I need
>still feel like I am forgetting something

I hate this feel
>>
>>1505663
Right there with you, anon.
>>
Read a lot of mixed opinions regarding Osaka, but the general consensus is that it's an inferior Tokyo.
What's the best way for a first time traveler to approach Osaka? 1-2 day trip, or ignore it altogether? I'm mostly interested in good food, tech, games, and tourist spots, but I'm sure there's already plenty of that in Tokyo and Kyoto
>>
>>1505665
Osaka is a smaller older feeling tokyo if you are looking at it face value wise. Honestly when I spent a week in osaka, will state why in a second, it actually was more in tune with what I felt tokyo would be like. Semi dirty, hookers well in open view, neon lights everywhere, drunks out till dawn, yakuza in plain view, etc. Will say I enjoyed it though.

If you're going to Kyoto use Osaka as a place to stay at, kyoto shuts down fairly early and there isn't far too much to do after. Seriously, I don't know how many times anons post "hey in kyoto what the fuck is there to do tonight" or "where is the night life". Osaka also has good transportation to surrounding areas, kyoto you would be kinda stuck there or have to go to osaka and change trains.

In osaka, the aquarium is good, Kobe steak is not as a ripoff, tons of shit to see at night, no airbnb restrictions like kyoto, nipponboshi is neat, free castles and temples and zoo, etc etc.
>>
>>1505680
Gotten ripped off for what?
>>
>>1505670
Sound like great recommendations. Thanks. I'll keep Osaka in my plans in that case
>>
>>1505680
Oh derp you mean kobe steak wew, uhh I've really never gotten ripped off because I've looked at the prices prior to going in either via gurunavi, yelp, or the menu outside. Worst I've seen is like 9800 yen for a 200g cut + wine pairing on a 3 course set. If wine is in there I just walk away because it's going to be a ripoff for that "fine wine"****
>>
>>1505685
Yeah also Kyoto is like 30 or so minute train ride from Osaka, so you really are never too far away from it. If you lack a JR pass, the express line is like 10 bucks or something cheap for 45 minute ride
>>
Would I be in real fucked trouble if I ordered a prescription pack of SSRIs to my house in Japan from Australia? There is a brand I use when I want to have sex for a long time (first dates, really fun nights etc.)

Right now I am really hitting it off with this girl from Canada and I want it to be a fairly marathon session lol.
>>
>>1504686
cheers
>>
>>1505691
>marathon sex session
>SSRI
Nope. You're doing it wrong. You want an ED drug.
>>
>>1505719
Nah man it works I've done it like 5 times
>>
>>1505719
Are you a virgin or never taken SSRIs
>>
>>1505749
>hurr durr comment
Virgin on SSRIs? That is the only way one can decrypt your sentence.
I have done an SSRI for a laugh. Never had any priapism due to it. I'd do MDMA, Cialis, weed or good old Sildenafil if I wanted to screw without coming. Why mess with something that literally turns people into numb callous sociopaths? Not a problem if you're already one of those though.
>>
>>1505733
I was on SSRI for panic disorder and went off it after taking it for two years, tried to go back onto it and it made me really sick, tried a different type and it made me sick also, not sure what to do now
>>
>>1505756
I dunno it's called Priligy look it up. It's made to stop premature ejaculation. You just take 1 and then you don't cum, you don't got on a schedule or anything.
>>
>going to japan
>white american dude
>read shit about trump pissing off japan and china

How bad will it be guys? will I be kicked out of many places? I want to go to comiket and many anime places
>>
>>1505783
You will be turned away at the border. ごめんね
>>
Traveling around Jan/Feb, anyone ever have issues with luggage on shinkansen? Just have a normal suitcase + backpack. I was thinking I could get the green jr pass to avoid any space issues but I dont do well with sticking to a schedule and having to pick specific trains at specific times might be too much of hassle.
>>
>>1505838
You won't have issues, put it above or in the luggage areas. Green/reserved seats do not promise more luggage room, just a place to sit
>>
>>1505839
thanks
>>
>>1505448
You can find lots of diversity in Shinjuku, Harajuku, Shibuya and Roppongi. Also in Amerikamura in Osaka.
>>
i'm going for 11 nights. at the moment have booked all for Tokyo but i want to go to Tobita Shinshi in Osaka. What would be a good way to divide these 11 nights? I guess if i am going to Osaka I'll go as well to Kyoto.

I don't really like being rushed when travelling and if I do those dates it seems like I will be.. But now I want to go to Osaka so unsure what to do
>>
>>1505925
Osaka is tourist trap shithole, especially dotonbori, most attractions are meme greasy osaka food, amusement parks and chink-osaka "culture".
Nara, Kyoto i couldn't recommend enough tho.
>>
>>1505931
But my boring Kyoto. My "no nightlife" meme. My better kobe beef (than one served in Kobe).
>>
>>1505925
See >>1505670
>>
>>1505931
Ah, a fellow Touhou fan I see. Shall we masturbate to Reimu's feet together?

Seriously though, if you're not a pathetic weeb shut-in, stay in Osaka and travel to Nara/Kyoto. Everything is better in Osaka, with the exceptions of temples and... deer?
>>
>>1506188
yes
>>
Should I stay in Tokyo for 2 weeks or go up north to Hokkaido?
>>
>>1506254
If possible, both. But I'd go with Hokkaido in winter.
>>
>>1506264
Do you think 6 days would be enough for Hokkaido?
>>
File: IMG_20181209_215831604.jpg (3.75 MB, 3024x4032)
3.75 MB
3.75 MB JPG
Anybody wanna get some drinks Thursday or Saturday? I can go anywhere Thursday, but Saturday I'll only be in Shibuya for the night.

https://discord.gg/R8drUZ3 use this group to contact me, as it's the most reliable for me
>>
Is it worth it to travel to South-Korea from Tokyo?
>>
>>1505931
>Osaka is tourist trap shithole

LOL what, that's a first. Osaka isn't the greatest city out there but it's by no means a toursit trap, or shit hole.
>>
>>1506254
Hokkaido, without a car, can be a pain in the ass to get around. The trains are there but some lines no longer run, or run like once or twice a day and many are often 1 or 2 car trains.

Sapporo can be knocked out in a few days and asahikawa maybe a day trip. Wakkaina or whatever is 100 dollar flight and you can go to the most northern tip of japan there
>>
>>1506453
yes, go there and never come back.
>>
>>1506453
You mean Seoul? Unless you want to see something oddly specific like the DMZ, you're going to have your fill in Tokyo and surrounding areas.
>>
I know the advice is to either bring cash or ATM instead of using currency exchange. However, exchange rate at my bank is awful (1 USD = 107 yen even though the going rate right now is 1USD= 112 yen). If I use ATM, does it not still use the exchange rate from my bank? If that is the case, wouldn't it be better to just use the currency exchange instead (1 USD=109 yen) ?
>>
>>1506507
>(1 USD = 107 yen even though the going rate right now is 1USD= 112 yen)
going rate and what you can actually get from any bank will always be different. It's going to depend because the yen is in flux right now going from 111-115. You generally will get a very similar rate depending on your bank, some have no fees for use of atms and at rate exchanges, but more often than not they will still take some kind of cut. Call your bank and ask.

I use wells fargo, so my rates are generally like this
>2.5% overseas
>atm fee, usually ~5 bucks(bank charge and atm charge)
So if I pull out 100 dollars from a 711, I am paying about 8 or so dollars per atm usage. So usually get a rate of 1 USD = 100-102 yen or there about. Really the biggest factor is how much money you intend to spend during your trip. If just getting out say 500USD for your time over there I don't know if I would bother with anything else other than 711 atms to get cash out
>>
>>1505937
It should be clarified that Kyoto in fact does have nightlife, just the nightlife it has is just mediocre. If it's not an expensive bar, then it's a club packed with a zillion other tourists, if it's not that then it's some not-so-english pub filled with euros, and if it isn't that is wondering if you can enter the place where a busload of chinese just dropped at. You can find shit easily by the Kamo river, you'll just be paying a good bit for it compared to anything to find/do in Osaka.

Really just depends what you're looking for, but what isn't a meme is the amount of anons who seem to be clueless what to do in kyoto after 6pm
>>
I have a unlocked pixel 2xl is the japan expirience sim card a good deal ? or should i look somewhere else? also is there a Line group for this thread?
>>
>>1506531
That uses the NTT Docomo network which is basically everywhere, shouldn't have issues just realize speeds can be fucky
>>
Anyone have some good advice on new years? Staying near the Tokyo Toy Museum, aside from the obvious being shinjuku is there any better place I should be looking?
>>
17 nights in Japan, what amount of yen should I buy before I leave? All lodgings are paid for already.
I can use my debit card at 711 with no fee, although my bank's exchange rate is worse than XE's (the exchange fee is baked into the exchange for my bank).
Also, is XE a good place to order yen? Anywhere else I should look?
>>
>>1506583
Depends where do you plan to go? Personally I do enough to have 30-50 bucks worth of yen a day after accommodations are paid for
>2000-2500 yen for food/snacks/drinks
>1000 for metro day pass
>800-2000 for museums/events/temple(if required)
>1000-2000 for any kind of souvenirs

As far as XE dunno never used em, would avoid things like travelex though and don't exchange at airports
>>
>>1506583
If you have 5000 yen for a day or more you should have no issues in any main city doing things. realistically the biggest hit to your budget will be just want you want to eat and time spent at bars. If you are thinking about going out to drink pregame first, and never do suntory highballs.
>>
Currently in Tokyo. I feel like I've done most of the big stuff, Shibuya, Ueno Park, Odaiba, Harajuku, etc that all the websites list as stuff to do. I'm wondering if there's any smaller fun stuff to do in Tokyo in places that aren't the big tourist traps.

I'm going to be taking some day trips to Hakone and Nikko in a couple days, are those places really worth the cost of the ticket to get to? I just want to make sure before I spend the money to go. Thanks!
>>
>>1506738
check out the Yanka area
visit Gotokuji temple
check out all of the other areas that aren't written in every boomer tourist guide (Kagurazaka, Jimbocho, Meguro, Shimokitazawa etc.)

Hakone is nice, never been to Nikko but I heard good things
>>
Sorry to post about this i know it annoys some here, but just a question about prostitution-y stuff.
I remember reading about a type of place a while ago where a girl would do a strip show and then masturbate and such while guys were in their own little pods watching and jacking off, i think they could also pay extra at the end for a HJ/BJ. but i cant find anything about this type of place now, any ideas?
>>
Do you guys have any recommendations for shops that sell figures and/or illustration books in Japan? Specifically in the Akihabara area.[spoiler] Is there a guide i can look through?[/spoiler]
>>
>>1506770
As far as I know there are 2 shops that offer such a service.

New Hot Point
http://www.new-hot-point.com/top

Madonna
https://nozoki-madonna.net/top

There might be others out there but listed under as a "strip club" or something similar, so it'll require you to do some research and see what these places actually offer.
>>
>>1506774
>Do you guys have any recommendations for shops that sell figures and/or illustration books in Japan?

Literally all over, so many shops to name, what kind of manga/hentai or figures are you looking for?
>>
>>1506738
Kamakura is about an hour to the south via the JR system and pretty worth it. Enoshima island may be a bit cold to visit this time of year though
>>
>>1506800
For figures, I'm searching for Alter's Plachta specifically and Alter/Skytube/Native figures in general. For Illustration books, i'm just looking for illustrations of various games/anime in general, the books doesn't have to be official goods, it can be some comiket stuff.
>>
>>1506811
Virtually any store, just go up a few floors.
>>
>>1506820
So i just go about visiting the stores near the station and try my luck there? Is there anything i should take note of?
>>
>>1506821
Not that guy but don't buy the first one you see. I tend to find better prices for stuff when walking away from the station.
>>
>>1506824
Oh okay. Do i need to know basic Japanese to buy anything? Or can i just go to the counter with the book/figure, hand them the money and bid them farewell.
>>
>>1506825
Most of the time figures are locked behind cases. Just learn to say "excuse me" and point at what you want. Not much more Japanese is needed.
>>
>>1506825
No just go around and point, most the shop staff in akihabara know enough english just flag one down lead them to the case and point/say the characters name.

Animate is close to the station and will have a decent amount of things, google Akiba Cultures Zone multi story place tons of figures on the third floor manga/books on second.

For most works you won't see too many figures on floor one unless it is a second hand shop
>>
Tokyo to Hokkaido and then back. Should I fly or take the train (aka buy JR pass)? Are regular train fares in Hokkaido cheap?
>>
>>1506836
Fly, doing so is 100 dollars round trip and from chistoe airport is like <1500 yen to get to sapporo, via ANA

If you do the train it's a ~5 hour train right just to Hakodate, which while interesting isn't really a city I wouldn't want to spend more than a day or so in, so if you want to go somewhere interesting like Sapporo it is 8 hours from tokyo and train changes. A flight is like 90 minutes or something fairly reasonable
>>
>>1506842
I'm going to have luggage and the cheap flights on Google Flights are all without luggage
>>
>>1506846
Pretty sure ANA allows for one carry on+personal item, I booked via Kayak. I can check since I booked going to Sapporo next week
>>
>>1506853
yup I am allowed one carry on and one personal item
>>
>>1506853
>>1506856
I looked at JAL's gaijin pricing and it's cheap. How much would regular train fares be in Hokkaido? Should I buy a JR pass for convience?
>>
>>1506864
Going via train, no JR pass would be 250 dollars one way to Sapporo, 210 dollars to Hakodate assuming from tokyo
>>
>>1506853
I booked my domestic flights via ANA's website and the tickets I got there say 2PC under baggage for each leg of the trip. Now, under most airlines I'm used to, that means two checked suitcases, not including carry-ons. Will they switch things up and say that this means two checked suitcases OR one checked suitcase and one carry-on, but that two checked suitcases and a carry-on is extra?
>>
>>1506877
2PC usually means allowed checked luggage, usually personal item is assumed included
>>
>>1506774
Generally you will get better deals outside of akihabara, but if you want something really specific or niche you can probably find it there. The book off in akihabara even has a little doujinshi section that is really cheap but ymmv
>>
File: 10590.png (173 KB, 1440x575)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>1506884
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping/assuming, and judging from the explanation on the site and what I got on my tickets, it seems like two suitcases and a carry-on bag is fine. I've just never flown ANA before so I wasn't sure if there would be unexpected peculiarities in how they parse that wording.

Only domestic Japanese flight I've taken before is Jetstar, and I chose that because at the time I was only going with no luggage and just a single carry-on.
>>
>>1506869
I mean trains within Hokkaido, i.e. daily travel
>>
>>1506894
Oh you can use google to check routes for a pretty accurate price. This is out of Sapporo for some common destinations

Otaru is like 1200 yen round trip
Chitose is about 1500 yen one way
Asahikawa about 4500 yen one way
Hakodate is about 8800 yen one way
Tomakomai about 1500 yen one way
Wakkanai is about 10,000 yen one way(flying there cheaper from sapporo)

Not sure where you plan to go, the JR pass for Hokkaido is pretty expensive I guess, 150 bucks for 3 days of travel over a 10 day period. Not sure where you plan to go though, I am doing Sapporo with some day trips around to some of the sourthern cities and Otaru
>>
Also Cities like Sapporo have cheap day/weekend passes for their rail so getting around isn't too bad
>>
>>1506893
It is 2pc checked luggage included, carry-on and personal item are assumed. I did this back in 2017, flew on a gaijin only fare with all my luggage from NGS to TYO.
>>
How's the weather in Tokyo? I'm not sure if I should pack clothes for super cold weather or are some light jackets enough, is it even snowing?
>>
>>1506980
Like right now or ? Usually tokyo doesn't get much of snow maybe a light dusting or so a few days a year. It's about 50 in the day, mid 30's at night
>>
>>1506984
End of year to mid-January
>>
>>1506987
https://www.accuweather.com/en/jp/tokyo/226396/month/226396?monyr=1/01/2018

Average is mid to upper 40's, near freezing at night
>>
Any hostel in Tokyo better or worse than the others?
>>
>>1506989
What type of clothing is needed for these temps? I'm from California and the lowest I've experienced is like 45F
>>
Would my JR pass come in on time if I ordered them on Dec 20th? I'll be leaving on the 30th.
>>
>>1507085
Good Jacket, long sleeves, and long pants like jeans

>>1507093
Usually it's fairly quick, I got mine in 2 days they ship from LA.

>>1507032
Use Hostelworld to rate hostels, if in doubt just book at GIRDS. It's more like a capsule hotel than a bunk hostel
>>
I want to figure out what kind of items I can take back from Japan to resell for profit. Recently I've seen a pretty niche example of a guy winning UFO catcher games for figurines that are then resold - the figurines not being tiny things, actual decently sized. Japan has this abundance of hobbyist goods and other weird stuff that people have to usually pay expensive shipping and tax for. Maybe there's some niche shit I can buy and resell on ebay for profits.
>>
>>1507110
Thanks. I'm worried because of the holidays and wasn't sure if they would be delivered on time.
>>
>>1507111
All those UFO crane game prizes you can find off aliexpress for cheap. The best you'll get is if you're willing to invest a good deal into exclusives from something like Comiket and resell, specific doujinshi works, or niche figures that are hard to find anywhere.

I know some anime vendors at cons that go to japan, load up on shit, then sell at cons for decent prices
>>
>>1507111
Comiket goods and Wonder Festival exclusive figurines are probably your best bet. Ebay takes such a massive cut that you'd be hard pressed to make money off crane game prizes.
>>
>>1507111
The amount of goods you would actively have to move over would send up red flags at customs in a second for what you would need to make any sizable profit. On top of that you'd still be competing against amazon.jp, a slew of proxy reselling sites, and stuff.

> Maybe there's some niche shit I can buy and resell on ebay for profits.
Your best bet would be figures then, but the amount of "profit" that can be had is highly questionable
>>
>>1506774
Mandarake in Nakano Broadway and Mandarake Akiba. I found Trader (lots of them around) was decently organized and well priced.
>>
>>1507111
I think in terms of profit per pound and ease of shipping. Rubber straps can be purchased for $6 a piece and sold for $15-30 at cons. They are also tiny and light. But is selling 100 straps for $10 profit worth the time and effort and that you'll be sitting on inventory for possibly unpopular characters? That's the decision you have to make.
>>
>>1504897
a few people (kids, most likely) will point at you, or run up to you and then run away when you say or do something. Don't take it personally, those people barely ever see anyone who isn't japanese.
>>
Don't know if it's ok to ask here but since peeps ask about the sexual industry I just thought I'd go for it

What's the drug situation in Tokyo?
>>
>>1508118
you mean as bad quality, getting ripped off, getting zucc'd by the cops?
>>
>>1508122
I can get that, of course. Truth be told you're pretty well fucked in any country if you're busted, but if you're not, how's availability?

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.