[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Well, what did /toy/ think of Hasbro's Inhumanoids? Did you know they wanted to reboot it? It was going to be called Primordia,the series would've feature ecologica monsters coming back to revenge on mankind, it got cancelled and shelved with all their other concept of Unit E.
>>
>>7633835
That big, green Cthulhu mofo had some really creaky joints.

But this series so was cool, I loved it as a kid. I thought it was a spin-off if He-Man and impaired those toys with the Inhumanoid monsters.
>>
>>7633835
I had all three of the big ones, a couple redwoods, and the Earthcorps tank. Didn't even know the tank was from Inhumanoids and never realized they made figures of the people from the series until about a year ago. Sadly the only survivor of my collection is one brown redwood and most of Tendrill. Missing one of his tails, and I just found him kinda c runched behind a metal filing cabinet in my basement. They're all pretty expensive online and the price is only going up, so I don't see myself rebuilding my collection. And it's a damn shame that the rights are so badly tied up so they'll never get revived.
>>
>>7633835
They were cool toys, but for toys in the 80's they were kinda meh.
>>
>>7633835
>this reboot got canned in favor of a Jem movie and comics no one asked for

And we can forget COPS ever coming back, too.
>>
>>7634025
Yep
Primordia looked cool
>>
I only ever had Tendril, but that was still pretty cool. Really wish they'd do something with this series, though.
>>
>>7633835
I had this
>>
File: Alien2.jpg (46 KB, 261x601)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>7633835
Hasbro's Inhumanoids has always been one of my favorite toylines. On concept alone, I believe it could have easily seen as much success as Transformers or GI joe. But for whatever reason it didn't, and that reality always upset me. Throughout the latter half of the 70's and through out most of the 80's , big monster toys no matter how imaginative or fun, were always faced with a 50/50 chance of success. Either they fly or they fall, and Inhumanoids vanished.
As excited as I was for a spiritual successor to the line in Primordia, the series looses alot of it's bizarre charm when you get rid of the Inhumanoid moniker. It's akin to the same issues I have with Marvel's recent attempt to "bring back" monster comics. It just felt very lack luster and downgraded. I have no doubts that they would have cheaped out on the line.
>>
File: inhumanoids1.jpg (64 KB, 599x468)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
If hasbro really had any faith in bringing back Inhumanoids, or any of the brands they've recently purchased they would do their homework in relation to what people they'd trust to re-imagine these characters and concepts. Not only that, but they'd also release some of these series' onto blu-ray or digital. Inhumanoids hasnt seen the light of day outside of an incredibly rare dvd with the first 9 episodes that came out in 2003. Hell, if they'd just re-release the original figures the same way they've done with the g1 transformers over the last two years, that would be just as much of a smart move.
But they have done none of that, they have invested nothing into any of this.
>>
>>7633835
D. Compose with his rib cage jail was one of the best toys of the '80s.
>>
>>7634025
>Per Aubrey Sitterson, the Inhumanoids were supposed to appear in G.I. Joe (2016) (and therefore the Hasbro Comic Universe), but when they sent in the script to Hasbro, it transpired that Hasbro had lost the rights, therefore any Inhumanoids characters couldn't be used, forcing Sitterson to rewrite the characters into the "Fatal Fluffies" (enemies from the 80s' Joe cartoon).

Not sure why you think Jem is why they didn't go through with it
>>
>>7636726
They don't have the rights

Blame whoever does
>>
>>7636721
>On concept alone, I believe it could have easily seen as much success as Transformers or GI joe. But for whatever reason it didn't
What I've always heard is that kids loved them but parents weren't enthusiastic about the grotesque designs or large pricetags. Ultimately it's the parents that actually buy the toys. I'd also submit that the heroes were sort of ugly and boring looking too, seriously how often do people talk about them?
>>
>>7636731
They have the rights to the series, they just dont have the rights to the names. I believe those are still held by Marvel, which I am very surprised hasbro hasnt just coughed up the money and bought them back. Hell marvel still owns crystar and animax.
>>7636755
Yeah I've always heard the parents thing too. All the more reason I think they should just re-release them now. Make a few youtube ads and let them loose around christmas time, they'll sell swimmingly. As for the heroes, yeah they're a bit bland, but you could easily play around with them a bit more to get them working. I think the problem they had were their goofy designs, aside from their helmets, the armors themselves looked very slap-dash and lame. If you ask me, the redwoods and the granites were more fun and fit in better as the good guys against the might and size of d'compose or tendril. Though I do understand Earth corps is there to add a human factor for the kids to latch onto, I think they should have gone for an almost fantastic four route where in some specific granite or redwood joins the earth corp to team up against the inhumanoids.
>>
>>7636874
I'm actually curious how well they would do. The only thing at all similar from recent years I can think of is those King Kong/Rampage toys, I also remember them filling up the clearance isles. Was that an issue with the toys, the franchise, or the marketing?
>>
>>7636728
This has to be one of the most hardcore scenes in any 80's cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDKyL6y7FZ8
>>
>>7637639
Man...even as a little kid, I always had weird mixed feelings about that scene. Something kinda turned me on(in so much as a kid can be) about it as well as freaked me out.
>>
>>7637629
I think the issue with those toys was that they made too many of them. My understanding is that they sold well enough, but clogged shelves for a while after, and both films weren't exactly summer block busters to begin with.
>>
>>7637798
And they were made by a company known for cheap stuff.
>>
>>7636874
>They have the rights to the series, they just dont have the rights to the names.
Or the characters, or the designs. Which is why they didn't show up in the comics with a name change.
>>
>>7638136
And why Primordia looked like some totally different kaiju shit.
>>
>>7637639
Fun fact: Marvel published an Inhumanoid comic in the late 80s and it was a stealth adaptation of the cartoon.... and fucking ENDED on this ciffhanger with the token female getting turned into a zombie, due to it being abruptly canceled by Marvel with no warning.
>>
>>7638136
You'd think they'd cough up the money then, especially after going out of their way to buy rom and micronauts from marvel in the first place. Just makes no sense, primordia would have failed without the direct inhumanoids tie.
>>
>>7638232
I remember reading that comic after revisiting the series. It really doesn't satiate one's appetite for more. Also, from the art alone, you can tell it was the lowest priority title at marvel's star imprint.
>>
>>7636874
I still have all the Animax comics. I wish that could get revived somehow, but vehicles just don't sell these days.
>>
>>7638841
I doubt any third party companies would even be willing to rerelease the original toys considering how big they actually were. Its a shame, this world doesnt deserve nice things.
>>
>>7638797
Didn't they buy back Rom before Disney bought Marvel
>>
>>7638797

They didn't buy Rom and Micronauts from Marvel. They just found out that they owned ROM via absorbing a wide number of companies, one of which released Rom and Micronauts was a line Hasbro licensed from Japan.

And even then, they only own super basic bitch shit relating to the two franchises. Marvel owns pretty much EVERYTHING ROM related save the name and armored design and shared ownership of the original grey blob Dire Wraiths, not the more iconic red demon Dire Wraiths. Hasbro had to create a brand new face/appearance for Rom, for the IDW comic and redo his entire backstory because Marvel owns EVERYTHING else.

Same with Micronauts but worse, in that Mantlo staffed the Micronauts comic with a TON of OCs that Marvel continues to own and use to this day (most notably Bug, who was part of the Guardians of the Galaxy in the late 00s/early 00s). The only characters from the comic of note that Hasbro owns are the armored knights, time traveler, and Baron Karza.

It's why no one can reprint OG Rom or the Microanuts as neither Hasbro or Marvel want to cut a deal to reprint them
>>
>>7640288
Wow this is some hyper crisis tier legal shit. Again, all that can be said is how shit all of this is in the end for these ips. Without reprints of the original material they can't necessarily reach a new audience, and in pulling shit out of their asses, they've inherently ostracized whatever niche fan base these more obscure titles had to begin with. It just seems like it would have been more worthwhile to make new things from the ground up and or reference these character's past histories as little as possible. Honestly, this is reminding me a whole lot of the chucky legal split between paramount and universal, or hell, Sony and Disney's reign over the spiderman empire.
Honestly this is all such a shit situation it just makes me wish some third party would step in and fill the void left by all this corporate fuckery.
>>
>>7636874
>Hell marvel still owns crystar and animax.
no idea about Animax, but Crystar was created by Marvel and then licensed out for toys, not the other way around like most of their other toy based comics of the 70's and 80's

>>7640288
>neither Hasbro or Marvel want to cut a deal to reprint them
which is really weird considering how close of a relationship they have otherwise, you'd think it'd be easy to resolve
>>
>>7642167
Marvel considers both properties as being THEIR property, given that both comics outlived the original toy lines, featured extensive Marvel created characters, and were both heavily integrated into the Marvel Universe.

In particular, ROM remains a heavy editorial favorite and they've made multiple attempts to bring the series back with various Space Knight minis. To the extent that there was even talks about turning Nova Rich Rider into the new ROM; hence the lengthy arc in New Warriors where Rich loses his powers. The endgame for that plotline, which never happened due to the title's cancellation, was going to be Rich being turned into a Spaceknight.

Also, Hasbro wants to make movies off of the two properties, ROM in particular. Having the original ROM and Micronauts comics out might make IDW and Marvel money (and help out Bil Mantlo, who wrote both books and is currently in hospice with irreversible brain damage). But Hasbro would soon as irrevocably memory hole both classic runs to avoid issues with fans rejecting their new updated versions of them. Especially after their rape of MASK killed THAT book/revival dead.
>>
Thoughts on Gorzak, the unofficial Inhumanoid cousin?
>>
File: Future_Wolf_II.jpg (58 KB, 720x480)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>7644352
>"Just hear me out, fellow toy designers. What if we combine the xenos from "Alien" with... A WEREWOLF!"
>"Brilliant!"
>>
File: project-metalbeast.jpg (68 KB, 1024x672)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>7644352
Brother
>>
>>7642232
which sucks because IDW's ROM was pretty good.
I really hope this gets sorted a Rom line with a cell phone app that could "Scan" figures to see if they are Dire Wraiths could be so cool.
>>
>>7644352
He's fun, I remember finding out about him through dino drac. He definitely deserves more attention. I wish monster toys had a bigger presence in the west outside of the regular old licenses you always see slung around.
>>
>>7633835
I would fuck every single member of this board twice for a modern D'Compose

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.