[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

What’s /toy/‘s opinion on the IAmElemental figures?
>>
>>7586861
I thought these were dead
>>
>>7586861
They should have continued the 6inch ones. I have Courage and she's a great figure. The smaller ones were really bland and a little cheap feeling.
>>
>>7586861
Honestly? It's proof that feminists can't make toys. The designs are kind of bland, not to mention the line doesn't have any real characters or story. They focused more on making the bodies have "realistic proportions" than designing a cool-looking figure.
>>
the what
>>
>>7586864
There's a Wisdom on the way at some point.
>>
>>7586861
I like the first wave but I don't like the second wave. I think they would be better as a show than a toy line cause it sounds like a cool show.
>>
>>7586861
They look really dumb.
>>
>>7586929
These all look like they have the same body type, though. I’d really want a range of different body shapes on this simple/uniform looking kind of design.
>>
>>7586929
I'm sure plenty of people making toys would identify as 'feminist' if pressed, by nature of respecting the desire for equal rights for women(a foregone conclusion, but the ever late-coming reality most normies live in).

It is true that toys are a sausagefest though so I really I don't mind their mission statement in theory. It's like a lot of other anons have said, these just seem bland. I mean, they were designed for kids and I respect that but they also come off as very generic. It's clear from their website they're coasting off the politics though, so I doubt they're that concerned.
>>
They all have the exact same body and face, with just a different backpack and hairpiece for each of them. That's a problem because it doesn't get kids to buy additional figures.
>>
>>7586966
/pol/ makes no distinction over "feminist" and "feminazi". To them if it's not white Christian male, it's subhuman.

And yet if they're the "master race" they haven't been able to hold onto the power they used to have. Some superiority.
>>
>>7586861
They don't look bad but they don't look interesting
>>
>>7586950
That's because every one uses the same body mold. A unique body for each one would cost more, it's why even Hasbro recycles molds. And every body is a bit fat with small tits.
>>
>>7586978
Most people on /pol/ aren't white
>>
>>7586966
>It is true that toys are a sausagefest though
If by toys you mean action figures. And that's the problem. The vast majority of girls don't want action figures, they want dolls. They can be a bit unconventional and offbeat (it's why Monster High was so successful) but they still have to have something feminine about them.
These people are vastly over-estimating the size of their audience. Like with Lammily (a doll with realistic proportions) or GoldieBlox (engineering toys for girls), no one outside of a handful of virtue signalers really wants these things.
>>
>>7586861
They look decent enough to get one, but it's beyond me why would you want more than one.
>>
>>7586861
I‘m always a bit tempted to pick one of these up from bbts, but the better ones are sold out and in the end the limited articulation kills it for me.
Also some of the planning baffles me, like no real backstory and the weird branded accessories (like a branded lunchbox. Who‘d want that?)
>>
>>7587025
>limited articulation
is it ML style articulation?
>>
>>7587113
>is it ML style articulation?
No wrist or ankle joints even on the 6 inch one
>>
>>7587127
jesus christ, and they are charging slightly more than ML for that?
>>
>>7587127
The 6.5" have double pegged ball joints at both their wrists and their ankles. Double knees, elbows, I believe ball pegs in the neck and torso and lower torso, etc.
>>
>>7586861
None of these are elements.
>>
>>7586861
usually when people accuse some media producer of "pushing an agenda" they are full of shit. an artist is going to express himself, and it is only an "agenda" when certain people don't like the expression.

this, on the other hand, is clearly some producers pushing an agenda. These toys were made to fulfill a purpose. part of that purpose is probably to inspire children to play with them, but that was clearly not what lead the design. This is why we let ARTISTS do art, and relegate the philosophers to consulting.
>>
>>7586861
I found 3 on a flea market, they're ok but really could use some torso articulation, a simple waist swivel would help a lot.
>>
>>7586861
None of the stores near me even carried them. I wanted the wings one too
>>
File: 18274.png (1000 KB, 907x625)
1000 KB
1000 KB PNG
I actively swap out the lower limbs just so they can articulate their feet.
>>
>>7586861
Femanon here, it's a lazy bland crap sold under muh feminist agenda.

>>7586929
This

>>7586966
>>7587008
She-Ra and Golden Girl are good and rare examples of action figures (more precisely action dolls) aimed at girls done right.
>>
>>7586861
Wave 2 looks a bit better (they have a Greek look) and they dropped the blind bag format, but I don’t think these things are gonna be around for wave 3. There was a lot of buzz around the time the Kickstarter was first funded and then interest dropped off, because guess what, social justice types don’t really buy things.
And it’s too bad because the idea of female focused action figures is not a bad one, they just need to look interesting and that’s where these fail.
>>
>>7586966
It’s this, all of this. There’s a disconnect between the feminists in the toy industry and the weird outsiders doing things like this. If the retailers weren’t so weird about gender roles and keeping costs down to pennies Barbie would have Boom Co weapons, guitars (Walmart’s buyer is convinced that girls don’t play guitars because ????) and neon pink Iron Man-style armor by now. In-industry the main hope is that, someday, they can add more gimmicks and play value into beloved franchises, out-of-industry it’s a push to make things to counter the status quo just to counter it with no consideration of if it would be fun.
>>
>>7587458
LONDON
>>
File: 1.jpg (212 KB, 600x450)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
Desktop army does this but better.
>>
>>7587667
But I'm femanon

>>7587660
>Golden Girl and She-Ra never existed
There's plenty of feminist pandering shit in the market right now; scientist Barbie, project MC2, DC Super Hero Girls, Forces Of Destiny, Marvel Dolls, etc.

t. not solider
>>
>>7587660
>neon pink iron man Barbie
Speaking as a femanon, you would have never been able to pry that out of my hands if I was a kiddie.
>>
how did it even sell out
>>
>>7588412
virtue signalling? I gave mine guns yet still got congratulated on my post
>>
>>7588418
is it good
>>
>>7587905
>Golden Girl
>Feminist
Isn't that an /aco/ oppai loli OC?
>>
File: 20190611_174529.jpg (228 KB, 1383x1037)
228 KB
228 KB JPG
They're alright. bravery was kind of disappointing, but she's alright if you take the armour piece off. Fear on the other hand, has a good super hero feel, and industry is a nice mix of cute/tough with the fingerless gloves and pixie cut.
>>
File: 20190611_175603.jpg (243 KB, 1383x1037)
243 KB
243 KB JPG
Articulation is fine. getting them into a kneeling pose is a struggle, but they can sit cross-legged well enough
>>
File: 20190611_180009.jpg (76 KB, 692x519)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Hail Cobra!
>>
>>7586929
>It's proof that feminists can't make toys.
What are you talking about I have great confidence that Bossfight Studio will be very successful with their girls line? I know I for one will be multiples of these!
>>
>>7588570
that looks like a legit skinwaker
>>
>>7586966
>>7586978
>>7587660
You people are mentally ill, feminism is killing the west at the expense of men. Fuck off with this shit.
>>
>>7588588
you keep using that word. I dont think it means what you think it means
>>
>>7587905
There’s a big difference between ‘This is a thing associated with boys so I will apply it to a girl thing because it was a boy thing’ and ‘this is a thing that entertains me so I will apply it to everything so they will also entertain me’

She-Ra was, originally, ‘what if we expanded our market to our fans’ sisters?’. Jetpack Barbie is ‘I enjoy jetpacks and am working on Barbie, I want to apply a jetpack to a Barbie so Barbie can fly around’, see >>7587910
>>
>>7588483
No, it was real toyline >>7587458

>>7588570
Kek, everyone in the fashion doll thread called out on it being ugly af and false advertisement (see the nice drawings of the characters).

>>7588826
The so called reasonings don't matter (in the end it's both making profit), both She-Ra and Golden Girl were revolutionary for their time being the first action figures for girls.
>>
>>7588588
More importantly it kills the fun in girl toys.
>>
Disney killed star wars.
>>
>>7588931
>>7588979
Forces of Destiny was so misguided. If you're gonna make dolls, give them fully fabric clothes, not molded on crap.
The idea of a Star Wars doll line isn't a bad one inherently; there's lots of beautiful costumes that would make great dolls, but that's not what they did. These people want to make girls toys that aren't very feminine and it baffles me as to why.
Not to mention that the entire reason Disney bought Lucasfilm was so they could capture the boy demographic since they have the girls locked down with princesses. And yet when they get the IP they do all these things to pander to women, even though women aren't the ones buying Star Wars toys.
>>
>>7586861
It's an incredibly lazy and boring line.
>>
File: Padme outfits.jpg (124 KB, 736x850)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
>>7589044
>The idea of a Star Wars doll line isn't a bad one inherently; there's lots of beautiful costumes that would make great dolls
This

They could've made an entire fashion doll line around Padme from PT instead of tasteless tomboy MRey Sue.
>>
>>7589085
Disney had been purposely avoiding everything PT until the last year or so, especially when you consider all their sequel crap has been following RLM's criticism almost literally.

So there's hope for this shit to be made again.
>>
>>7586861
>>7587648
They had enough good ideas for about 3 good figures in each wave, then they fucked it by spreading the details across 7 highly generic figures.
>>
>>7589085
Damn, I'd forgotten how nice the costume design was in the PT.
>>
>>7588569
>>7588566
>>7588563
>Just a single joint in the elbow
Pathetic
>>
True facts, I love Honesty and Persistence from the first at wave mostly for their back accessories, and because their armor makes them look like some sorta industrialized magical girls.

And you can't find much better villain names than "Fear" and "Oblivion".
>>
>>7586929
>The designs are kind of bland, not to mention the line doesn't have any real characters or story.
wasnt that kind of the point to the toys? and isnt it the consumer's responsibility to imaginate a character into a toy, rather than create it after what it's known for in other media?
>>
>>7597000
A cowboy is a cowboy
>>
I like domino masks. They seemed ok, but a bit too expensive for an impulse buy.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.