[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/toy/ - Toys

Name
Options
Comment
Verification
4chan Pass users can bypass this verification. [Learn More] [Login]
File
  • Please read the Rules and FAQ before posting.
  • There are 74 posters in this thread.

05/04/17New trial board added: /bant/ - International/Random
10/04/16New board for 4chan Pass users: /vip/ - Very Important Posts
06/20/16New 4chan Banner Contest with a chance to win a 4chan Pass! See the contest page for details.
[Hide] [Show All]

All work safe boards are now on the 4channel.org domain. Make sure to update your script blockers and whitelist the new domain.

There's now a setting option under Navigation to display the full list of boards on 4channel.org

The 4chan Vtuber Competition is over. Click here to see the winning entry!

File: Toa Metru.jpg (160 KB, 709x512)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
The thread is slow but the last one reached bump limit after 44 fuckin' days.
Post bionicles, MOCs, concept art, lore discussion, nostalgia bait, anything and everything.
Where the fuck else are you gonna go?
Thread Question:
>from the Rahi/Dark Hunters/other MOC contest books, which models were actually good?
>>
>>7209015
>>7209015
Old thread
>>
FUCK OFFFF.
>>
>>7271258
I liked Tahtorak and Ancient, which won their respective contests. It was neat that characters like Darkness were cool enough to be incorporated into the dark hunter lore. But the real cringe shit are the paragraphs some 4th graders wrote about their figures. Real donut steel stuff, like “my character was a former toa who beat five makuta in a fight but got fused with a rakshii. Now he doesn’t speak but he’s stronger than the shadowed one x5”
>>
>>7271268
Wasn't there one who could copy physical abilities just by watching for a bit? Pretty fucking cool power, but the whole article was the Shadowed One wanking him off punctuated with "and I keep his girl in the basement so he never finds her and keeps working for me."
Actually, that last bit is kind of a neat idea.
>>
>>7271268
I wonder what percentage of that book was kids submitting their edgelord shit and Greg embellishing the kids' ideas with his own edgelord shit. I'd be tempted to write the whole thing off as just kids being kids, but then you have stuff like Greg's serials and OCs which likewise feel like they were thought up by some edgy teen.
>>
>>7271327
I'm willing to bet it was about half and half.
>>7271268
Tahtorak was pretty fuckin' great, really. My first kaiju before I knew what kaiju were. Good times.
>>
File: IMG_9824.jpg (1.49 MB, 4032x3024)
1.49 MB
1.49 MB JPG
Oh neat, I was going to make a thread for MOCs only, you saved me the trouble. I've been experimenting with making weapons out of technic stuff. This is supposed to be a SMG if you couldn't tell.
>>
>>7271477
needs a stock
>>
>>7271493
Ah, that's what it was missing. When I first built it I wasn't why it looked funny. I'll see what I can do.
>>
Greg is a hax
Bionicle post 2001 is mediocre at best
I spent a little fortune in samefag toys with diferent masks and colors
Greg is a fucking hax
>>
>>7271477
Not a bad idea desu. Liking what you've done with the Hero Factory helmets. It's odd...HF came in the shadow of Bionicle which it suffered for but it introduced some real nice parts.
>>
>>7272258
>post 2001
So... you only like the rahi and the toa mata?

I’ll keep it real with you, the people in this thread who bought six identical characters over and over are the same people who buy different variations of Star Wars troopers, or repairs of different spider-men. It’s a collectors mindset
>>
honestly the worst thing that happened for bionicle is greg taking over a major aspect of the creative direction of the series. he doesn't understand subtlety & usually equates battles down what the plot demands. there is really no need for dozens of pages on character perspective & otherworld journeys, nor is there a need for a scientific explanation for the reason every single organism inside of the MU is able to blink their eyes.
i don't give a fuck about the league of shadows because they don't ever do anything in the immediate plot. i don't give a fuck about helryx & the illuminati because they only appear after the fact. makuta was reduced to cartoon villain. notsatan is a joke at best, for appearing threatening at first but then fucking off & dying whenever later. the piraka have difficult to remember names & the personality of the honeycomb mascot. the idea of additional makuta is rendered utterly pointless by the predetermined plot the gods making teridax the special makuta & the others just jokes at best.

his focus on what is cool & why, is not a bad one for a children's' toyline and he has made some good decisions overall (like supposedly forcing lego to keep the original toa around). but that direction lacks any of the substance really found in the earlier stories. the "why" behind bionicle just becomes increasingly frustrating outside of the animations, movies, games, & "non canon" material.
[spoiler]tldr: i feel greg & lego took the "bio-machines" of bionicle a bit too literally instead of figuratively[/spoiler]
>>
Are there any good bionicle discord servers?
>>
>>7272672
No.
>>
>>7272672
https://discord.gg/R9BdKTK
>>
DEEPEST LORE IS BEST LORE
>>
>>7273031
This, but unironically. Bionicle's lore is an absolute treat. Literally everyone fucking off from the skakdi is hilarious.
>>
File: IMG_3844.jpg (909 KB, 2512x3449)
909 KB
909 KB JPG
>>7272427
That actually belongs to a Bootleg I got from Five Below years ago. Other then the arnor shells and the torso pieces, they are pretty much indistinguishable from Lego CCBS.
>>
File: 6947-153297333.png (495 KB, 2631x1558)
495 KB
495 KB PNG
How's my model?
>>
File: IMG_9827.jpg (1.54 MB, 4032x3024)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
>>7273954
Looks spot on, Anon. What's it for?

Also, I'm dumping more pictures.
>>
File: IMG_9829.jpg (1.43 MB, 4032x3024)
1.43 MB
1.43 MB JPG
>>7273994
>>
>>7271906
yeah other than that it's pretty neat looking
>>
>>7273994

Just practicing and creating stuff for the fun of it I guess, though I'm tempted to dump time into learning unwrapping, texturing, rigging and Unity just to make a small game and spite by gaslighting bastard of a brother.
>>
>>
>>7274103

That's not gunpla. It's the one that comes with the candy. G-Frame.
>>
>>>/bant/7057774
you can migrate bionicle threads to /bant/ if you guys want, we have been having bionicle discussions for a couple days now.

also I don't know if cross-board links are still working after the split so forgive me if that's a dead link
>>
>>7274165
We probably won't shift the general, but I'm happy to have shitposts as well as regular discussion, so thanks for the heads-up.
>>
they have downloaded the file
>>
why did those story serials give so much importance to characters who never even got sets like fucking helryx and arthaka were pretty much the top two good guys in the universe with huge story importance but never got toys
>>
>>7274611
Maybe Greg had more control with them, since they had no official products?
>>
Who is the best Bonkle girl and why?
>>
>>7274688
Hahli, more exactly Hahli Mahri.
>Best personality
>Best look
She is the best waifu choice. Too bad she suffers osteoporosis
>>
>>7274688
Gotta go with Hahli too. She’s the only water Tom that actually does anything. But Gali was a toa Nuva so she gets brownie points too
>>
>>7274688
Lariska
>>
File: 1509692135071.jpg (291 KB, 1400x720)
291 KB
291 KB JPG
>>
>>7275050
Edgy.
>>
>>7275218
What can I say? I like the pushy type.
>>
>>7275438
Lariska is more like a kid with AHDH that likes to go around with knifes, tho.
>>
>>7275451
Could be. Wasn't my impression of her, but it's been a loooooooooong time since I read the Piraka books.
Which were fucking golden. Hilarious change of pace, though I didn't mind the more wholesome heroics that came before. The Piraka took the dysfunctionality of the Toa Metru's early years and quadrupled it, and I thought that was fun as fuck.
>>
oh no no no no
>>
>>7274882
*crack*
>>
>>7276053
Would Von Nebula survive the snap?
>>
2016 is highly underrated
>>
>>7272537
Yet here we are talking about a story he wrote almost ten years later
>>
File: 20180911_231815 1.jpg (2.92 MB, 4032x3024)
2.92 MB
2.92 MB JPG
>>7271258

Some of the Rahi were cool but the dark hunters were hot fucking garbage. All of them.

I respect those kids for creativity but they knew nothing about actual functional MOCs. Because... well, they're kids.
>>
Brickfair hype anyone? 8 months to go
>>
>>7276135
The sets maybe. Fuck how they wrapped up the story though.
>>
File: 747984-306564399.png (114 KB, 550x376)
114 KB
114 KB PNG
The best thing about G2 was by far the free concept art pdf as it turned out. If I were good with 3D then I'd make a gallery in various sites and upload my stuff with a description about the shit LEGO pulled to us and /system/.
>>
>>7276053
>>7276059

"My joints doesn't feel so well."
>>
File: 1527264257374.gif (518 KB, 500x715)
518 KB
518 KB GIF
>>7276053
MORE BROWN AND BLACK PIECES
>>
>>7276053

Even fucking chink KO crap has more printing than overpriced "proper" LEGO...
>>
>>7271258
Could I just say it was stupid of them to use the Maori Mythology Names without sounding like a bleeding heart tosser?

It's like the angels in Evangelion. I don't really care if it offends people that it "misappropriates" someone's culture but if you're not gonna even bother to even allude to the original mythology it's just distracting.
>>
>>7279034
Apparently they did play around with the idea of lifting more elements from the "source material", see the tribal dances and the allusions to Papu and Rangi, but they scrapped those when the Maori began bitching. So the names were all that were left.
>>
>>7279034
>I don't really care if it offends people that it "misappropriates" someone's culture but if you're not gonna even bother to even allude to the original mythology it's just distracting.

Bionicle had a lot of allusions to Polynesian culture, not just the names. Aesthetics, music, worldbuilding, etc.
Plus, pretty much every fantasy rips off a real life culture to some degree, so it's nothing too out of the ordinary as far as world creation goes.
>>
>>7276053
>they added stud connections to the CCBS "paw" piece for the gauntlet
Bless the KO-mongers
>>
>>7279520
It's actually Lego sticky tape, cut into one stud sized bits. I just recently learned that that's a thing.
>>
File: 47310.png (173 KB, 300x254)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
To this day I'm still angry this was never made in silver.
>>
>>7276053
Is Spiderman holding onto his spinal chord through his knee cap?
>>
>>7279692
They had the perfect opportunity with Toa Norik, too.
>>
File: 1526513952030.jpg (19 KB, 261x244)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>7279692
>>7279941
I thought he had those in silver
>>
>>7280496
The ultimate cuck. Iruini has gold but Norik has silver nuva boobs
>>
>>7280613
Nidhiki is the real cuck since Iruini was supposed to be him.
>>
>>7280613
I guess it adds some nice variance between the two so that they aren't quite literal clones of each-other. Still a shame though, especially considering how common silver Nuva armour is.
>>
File: 51ER6F1N19L.jpg (33 KB, 500x496)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>7276053
Reminds of Mega Bloks' Tech Bots
>>
>>7280887
Honestly, I wasn't expecting much from that, but it still looks quite disappointing.
>>
>Parent's gave away all my lego
WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO NOW?
>>
>>7279232
Hell even SW used many maori stuff for the Mandalorians and Clone troopers. Granted of course that Temuera is a maori kiwi.
>>
>>7280919
Kill them?
Jokes aside, get to bricklink buyin'
>>
>>7273031
>>7273403
I'm itching for deep lore discussion ever since I read the entire chapter book compilation.

>As the passage widened again, Helryx saw more creatures. These obviously were Rahi beasts, but not like anything she’d seen before. They were short, pale bipeds, with large yellow eyes and spindly arms and legs. They backed away and moved to the side as she and her ally passed. But as soon as the two had moved on, they assembled into a group and followed close behind.
Anyone ever take a guess at what these were?
>>
File: Vakama_1.jpg (23 KB, 320x336)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Watch out guys it's vakama oh god he's running towards ya you better watch out he's gonna wack you with his staff watch out oh god
>>
File: 1459135635811.png (479 KB, 657x654)
479 KB
479 KB PNG
>>7281258
>Even as a wise old sage, Vakama is still vehemently autistic to a nearly deranged degree
>>
>>7281258
Vakama is like canonically the worst leader right? If memory serves he gets through tough situations by using his powers creatively but fuck does his team get screwed over because of him a lot. Also as a kid I feel like the Toa Metru stuff went on FOREVER
>>
>>7281381
The Toa Metru are the only team that managed to at least halt Teridax endgame, so that makes them the best team.
If only Vakama didn't fire that goddamn rhotuka or they stayed in Metru Nui after their battle against the Makuta in first place...
>>
>>7281218
Which book/serial is it from? That might help us figure it out.
>>
Fuck G2
>>
File: 1544039140341.jpg (37 KB, 504x506)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>>7281505
G2 was adequate
>>
>>7281395
Threatening to annihilate a physical law of reality barely qualifies as halting a villain's ascension into a god.
>>
>>7281461
It's from [spoiler]Destiny War[/spoiler]
>>
Just hand the company to the chinese already.
>>
>>
>>
>>7281545
Actually yes. Makuta was shitting himself to the point of making a truce with a Toa out of all beings in the Universe.
Also imprison him in the protodermis equivalent of epoxy resin for almost an entire millenia and taking away the means of accelerating (I am not entirely sure if this was the idea) his master plan twice qualifies as halting his plan.
>>
>>7281661
You got your times mixed up tho. Makuta was trapped for like one year and his pact with Vakama to stay away was the one that lasted 1000 years.
>>
>>7281684
So, one year between the events of 2004 and 2005, another one year truce and then 1000 years on Mata Nui with Makuta pissing the whole population off I suppose?
>>
>>7281258
If he can take on Rakshi with ease, who else can he take on?
>>
>>7281690
I think that's right.
>>
>>7281690
And then the rest after that also only happens within one year. Apparently.
>>
>>7281626
>>7281630
These look fucking sick. They've gotta be bootleged MOCs right?
>>
It's a pity they made Toa Dume and Nidhiki into Norik and Iruini, but at least we later got a proper mask for Nidhiki through Defilak. But then Greg went and made Mahri Nuparu's mask mold into Nidhiki's canon mask.
Can someone take a photo of Matau Metru wearing Defilak's mask?

>>7281753

I found them in AliExpress through google images while looking for a side pic of Maxilos's hau.
>>
File: kermit.jpg (53 KB, 600x649)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
You are tasked with making a Bionicle game or have the opportunity to make a fangame with Lego's approval. What would be your ideal game?
>Genre
>Setting (Gen 1 or 2? Location? Story period?)
>What is it about
>Any special/main feature

I have an idea but I am concerned if it is too much of a lorerape
>RPG/Hack and Slash
>Gen 1. Metru Nui, between the defeat of Makuta and the return of the Toa Metru
>The main sinopsis is that you are some kind of a renegade Toa "hired" by the Order into doing some tasks on the damaged city (rescuing characters and artifacts, help imprisoning criminals) and fighting enemies of different factions as everyone wants to rule after the power vacuum that the Great Cataclysm has left,that would include the beggining of the Visorak invasion and /trying/ to stop it. There would be both canon and non-canon (OC) characters as allies and enemies.
>Customization
>Miramax style
>Exploration by many means of transport(foot, those legged vehicles,chutes, Kikanalo and even flight if possible)
>Each Metru would provide different resources and services, while Ga Metru would be ideal to find "sacred" weapons (aka special weapons) Ta Metru is where you can forge armor, weapons and Kanoka disks that can be used as ammunition or to create masks
>Mask+Toa Tool+Elemental power combat. Depending on the mask and weapon equiped the abilities that you can use are different. For example if you have a two handed firearm or dual blasters ala Kongu you wouldn't generally be able to use Elemental power with it, meanwhile some masks have no use in a battle like the Kaukau or Rau but have other uses, and if you had a Hau and some swords you would be able to deal elemental damage by chanelling your power, melee damage and get a temporary protection due to the mask when active.
I want to learn some programming and/or modelling before try to get people to help to not be just another ideas guy. Maybe in some years I could try to do this ludicrous project
>>
>>7282558
Oh...a videogame.

Since I'm a fa/tg/uy I'm trying to create some sort of fork that incorporates Savage Worlds and that Lost Chronicles game. It's been interesting trying to determine what will stick and what won't.

It is nice, though, that I've been able to convert a surprising amount of stuff between the two without much fuss.
>>
>>7282558

>G2 with elements from G1
>Open world island of Okoto
>Dark Souls-esque mechanics
>The player is a ghoulish villager exiled after he fell to an unknown infection like others
>The infection is secretly spread by Kraata
>He increases his power by scavenging and taking parts from his defeated opponents
>Village (class) selection only affects starting location and colours
>Can find colour kits in the world
>Can find masks and krana that offer different abilities, including the golden masks of 2015
>Can have access to elemental powers by hunting elemental creatures and taking their crystals to a likewise infected blacksmith
>Upgraded enough, he/she can increase his/her physical stature
>Can't enter the villages
>Can find camps and abandoned settlements. Even explore the city of the mask makers
>>
>>7282616
cont.

>While the villagers are hiding behind their walls, the island has been invaded by pirates, bandits, and the undead
>There's also infected rahi, hostile infected people, rahkshi, and Umarak
>The rahkshi are much creepier and xenomorphic
>Umarak is a roaming random encounter boss who can be fought multiple times
>In lore, he is an ancient primordial personification of hunting and not as sentient as in the official media
>Eventually the player learns the truth about the infection after he defeats Umbra and Makuta appears like a talking darkfire
>Makuta has been trying to create a Shadow Toa to help bring him back to the world
>The player has come further than anyone else and can choose to either side with Makuta and become the Shadow Toa or tell Ekimu and fight Makuta in a co-op boss battle to end the infection
>Siding with either character gives you access to unique powers and gear
>DLC
>An infected with a vendetta sides with the player to hunt Umarak
>They track him down and find him hunting Vezon, who is wearing Brutaka's mask
>Stuff happens and the infected disappears with Umarak, leaving the player to try and kill Vezon for the loot
>After the player wins, Vezon teleports away and accidentally takes the player to a G1 side story
>The player returns after finding the top half of the Mask of Time and attempting to rewind time for himself back to before he was infected
>He ends up rewinding time for everyone but himself and returning back to Okoto roughly a little after he left
>>
>>7282558
Probably just a bigger, modern gen version of MNOG
>>
File: 494.png (186 KB, 540x343)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
>>7282701
gib pls
>>
>>7282558

Do you have any drawing or painting skills?
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (1.75 MB, 5100x3300)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>7283311
Not that anon but I like to think I do...
>>
File: 485429235898.png (569 KB, 2937x641)
569 KB
569 KB PNG
I hope it won't look as bad when I wake up. I feel I've failed.
>>
>>7283421
Looks like super comfy PS2 graphics, anon.
>>
>>7283419

Blighttown concept art.

>>7283426

It's mostly the pic I used for texture I think.
>>
>>7283471
>Blighttown concept art
I actually drew that, anon
>>
>>7283505

That's...not what I meant.
>>
>>7283421
can i see the full pic you are basing the 3d model on?
>>
>>7283421
WOOOOOOOO
>>
File: Toa Nokama.png (805 KB, 800x1200)
805 KB
805 KB PNG
Here's a little something.
>>
File: IMG_20181210_190326578.jpg (2.16 MB, 2448x3264)
2.16 MB
2.16 MB JPG
>>
>>7283311
If drawing shitty basic drawings counts as skills yes. But nothing even half as good as >>7283419 or the movie concept art.

>>7283421
Looks very good. I like how are you basing it on the G2 concepts
>>
Are their any chances of bionicles coming back?

id pay so much money if i could just go to a store and buy some. but since they are discontinued they dont exist anymore.

i played with them so much as a kid now that im an adult id like to buy them myself and start a collection.

It makes me so sad.
>>
>>7283612
Damn, she is even thicker than Pohatu
>>
>>7283893

Dude what is this, a poem? Don't leave space after every single sentence.
Anyway, you can buy pieces of old sets on Bricklink.
>>
File: 976429235898.png (597 KB, 962x401)
597 KB
597 KB PNG
>>7283583

Sure thing. It's from the artwork pdf.
>>
Personally, I'm convinced that they'd give it another go in 2021
>>
>>7284162
I highly doubt it. Contraction is dead right now as a subtheme. The only viable buildable figs Lego has are licensed and system based(Minecraft), and every other venue they tried with CCBS was a dead end. HF slowly bled out as sales dipped, Ultrabuilds still clog up shelves all over the world, G2 was a massive flop to the point where year 3 never came to be. I'm pretty sure if they try Bionicle again it's System or bust.
>>
>>7284213
G2 was a flop because of marketing incompetence. And I am fairly sure that they sold way better than nuwars figures
>>
>>7281624
where do I buy this set?
>>
File: Sembo 11894 thmu.jpg (158 KB, 800x800)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>7281626
>>7281630
Some of that Chinese stuff looks downright gorgeous.
>>
>>7284216
Believe me I tgink so as well, but you gotta look at it from the company's perspective. The risk/reward factor of reviving Bionicle a third time as a Constraction theme but this time with more marketing I feel they would see as too dangerous to attempt. Modern Lego would rathe rplay it safe and keep the Contraction subtheme off the table for now. Hell, there aren't even any rival companies that I can think of that are doing constructable figures atm and making serious bank off of it. It's just not a thing like it was back in the 2000s.
>>
File: 11802.jpg (142 KB, 960x868)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>7284245
>>
File: 11886.jpg (395 KB, 797x1376)
395 KB
395 KB JPG
>>7284248
>>
File: 11830.jpg (299 KB, 859x1600)
299 KB
299 KB JPG
>>7284250

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.