[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Meetings Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Sorcerer and Warlock
https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-AberrantLurk.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>68304536

How did your current character end up joining the party? If your character was a founding member, under what circumstances was the party formed?
>>
>Playing a Zariel Tiefling Paladin in Avernus
Good idea or great idea?
>>
>>68310372
>If your character was a founding member, under what circumstances was the party formed?
Army buddies resigning to do something more interesting.
>>
>>68310473
It fits the genre, but it’s hard to tell whether it’s a great idea based solely on that.
>>
>>68310358

Oh sure, Adamantine and Silver weapons (especially Masterwork ones) are often times just as good. I typically prefer having those available to purchase in stores rather than having to justify Bipolar Bob's Discount Magic Items
>>
File: =).jpg (47 KB, 500x375)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>68310372
>If your character was a founding member, under what circumstances was the party formed?
Half-orc enters town. Human picks fight with half-orc. Human and half-orc beat the shit out of each other, then become friends. Human calls his gnome friend, half-orc calls his half-orc friend and they go on adventures.
Beautiful, isn't it?
>>
What are red flags that you're dealing with That DM
>>
How to into sorcerous origin? I don't want to use one of the DMG lore things, but I also am struggling to come up with a specific "awakening" idea.
>>
>>68310594
Well what sort of Sorcerer is being awoken?
>>
So I'm on a tiefling goolock and about to pick Pact of the tome
I'm picking vicious Mockery and encrypt thoughts. What's a good third one not available to warlocks
>>
>>68310594
>I also am struggling to come up with a specific "awakening" idea.
Firblog comes up to the says character and says "yer a sorcerer"
>>
>>68310594
What kind of sources
>>
>>68310625
I struggle with literally all of them, but let's say Shadow since it was mentioned a bunch in the last thread. How to into non-edgy Shadow Sorcerer awakening?
>>
>>68310594
You have a near-death experience. Say, you get beaten to an inch of your life by John McHighwayman and, on the verge of death, your bloodline manifests and you obliterate the guy with your spell of choice.
>>
>>68310640
Life-or-death situation, it looks like the end. Suddenly, you bamf to safety.
>>
>>68310640
Born on a new moon, the thing is, the moon was supposed to be a full moon that night
>>
File: 1567052066117.png (477 KB, 505x675)
477 KB
477 KB PNG
>>68310640

You get sucked into the shadow plane/lands and get a big dose of planar radiation that you carry back into the material plane

You get attacked by a creature from the plane of shadow and the taint from that mutates you
>>
>>68310705
Not that anon but stealing the shit our of this if I ever hate myself enough to play a sorcerer
>>
>Want to do lurker of the deep swashbuckler because it sounds fun as fuck
>Hexbuckler is too good and don't wanna be dead weight toward the late game like the last campaign I was in

I will never forgive Xanathar's guide for making this class its boring as fuck.
>>
>>68310705
nigger, new moons aren't caused by shadows.
>>
>>68310640
>Finding out you're 1/16th shadar-kai was nice, but awakening your dormant shadow fey blood with a ritual you found in the village library might have been a bit much
>At least you can pick up chicks now. Chicks love pointy ears
>>
>>68310735
Just play what'll be fun. If it turns out terrible, you'll probably just get killed.
>>
>>68310767
Yeah true.

Looks like a fun class for me. I am doing the tabaxi swashbuckler with feline agility so I run all over the place, having a tentacle to impede enemies during cooldown's sounds fun though I wish it had a grapple.
>>
>>68310372
My party wiped fighting a chain devil. They're all level 9
How do I bounce back from a TPK?
>>
>>68310372
reposting for an actual response:
I'm starting my first real proper game soon. The first thing the PC's are gonna do is an initiation right where they kill an Alpha Lockhorn (pick related, kind of a cattle like creature that charges and gores, but normally they're just domesticated cattle)

How should I stat him? If theres 6-7 PCs, around 400-500xp is a medium encounter. A "Giant Boar" could work. I dont want to gore them to death within the first hour, but I still want them to be scared of it.
>>
>>68310865
Gore them anyway, just adjust the damage number so they don't go over the instakill treshold.
>>
>>68310739
>During the time of the lunar cycle the moon should be it’s brightest, instead it’s dark as if covered by a layer of shadow
I’m not saying it was a 100% natural new moon you, almost as if there was some freaky magic shit going on at the time or something
>>
>>68310860
Make em roll new characters. (if you're a man, and your players arent critroll faggot babies who think deff is scawy)
or Give them all a level in Warlock Fiend.
They now work for him.
>>
>>68310619
Shillelag
>>
>>68310640
as a kid while playing in the woods you stumbled upon a clearing that felt weird and cold to you and you ran back home. You didn't know it at the time, but it was a place where a cult used to gather and perform rituals and a figment of dark magic was still left there and attached itself to you.
The real "awakening" of your powers could occur in pretty much every stressful situation. For shadow I'd go with something not physically harmful, like you literally disappearing into shadows to escape something or accidentally conjuring a scary shadowy silhouette. In that way I feel it's less edgy than the typical "my powers awakened and hurt/killed those close to me"
>>
>>68309741
NPCs are no pushovers. I would have Sildar survive by jumping in the water, and then later he comes back for revenge against the PCs. His body almost entirely burned, covered with bandages, almost looking like a mummy, and the full might of the Lord's Alliance by his side. How do you like being evil now, murder hobos?
>>
>>68310895
Oh no they aren't critroll babies. They're pretty thick skinned really
I just expected them to curbstomp the encounter
>>68310910
Sildar should run the fuck away and come back with 2d4 low-level fighters to kick their asses the next time he's in the village.
They get arrested and sent off to a penal colony in kara-tur. Bam, new plot hook
>>
File: Tiefling Barbarian.jpg (289 KB, 1920x2984)
289 KB
289 KB JPG
What are the best class/race combos for cute monster girls? And I mean full monster, not just cat ears.
>>
>>68311014
Do half-humans count as monster girls?
>>
File: Nott.png (190 KB, 296x519)
190 KB
190 KB PNG
>>68311014
Goblin/anything
>>
File: th.jpg (35 KB, 474x688)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>How did your current character end up joining the party? If your character was a founding member, under what circumstances was the party formed?

In this campaign, the main antagonist is an Imperial Inquisition routing out and destroying heretics in the land they're invading. Pretty standard stuff. My character (a tiefling warlock/rogue) was due to be executed due to his race, but managed to break out of captivity thanks to his rogue abilities and his patron's divine assistance. He then instigated a prison revolt, which ended with the Inquisition summoning angelic beings to smite the entire city.

For a chaotic good character this weighs heavily on his consciousness, so he feels compelled to atone. When he found out about an organized resistance operating in the metaphorical underground, he joined without hesitation.
>>
>>68311014
Catgirl/catgirl
>>
File: hawkeyemash-main2.jpg (72 KB, 530x735)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
Stat him
>>
File: Selection_138.png (28 KB, 195x113)
28 KB
28 KB PNG
>>68310878
His damage is 2d6, and charging gives him another 2d6. I'm thinking I just nerf his base damage, but if he can charge, hes still gonna pincushion the PCs.

His block:
Alpha Lockhorn

Forest Green leathery skin, with dark grey horns.
Three horns, the length of which can reath a full third of the creature, extend from the skull of this fast moving herbivore.
Some Lockhorns live for centuries, and become Huge, Aggressive, Territorial beasts.
Capable of taking heavy wounding and gratuitous smashing , caravans have come to fear the sound of an Alpha Lockhorn’s charge.

Huge beast, unaligned
Armor Class 10 (natural armor) (+2 while Charging)
Hit Points 42 (5d10 + 15)
Speed 40ft.
Challenge 2 (500 XP)

Biome
Continental Grasslands and warm steppes.

Charge
If the Lockhorn moves at least 20 feet straight toward a
target and then hits it with a tusk attack on the same turn, the
target takes an extra 7 (2d6) Pierce damage. If the target is a
creature, it must succeed on a DC 13 Strength saving throw or
be knocked prone.

Relentless
(Recharges after a Short or Long Rest). If the Lockhorn takes 10 damage or less that would reduce it to 0 hit points, it
is reduced to 1 hit point instead.

Monocular Vision
If Lockhorn attacks a creature , after the attack it loses sight of the creature it attacked, and will only re-acquire perception of its target after moving, or attacking another creature.

ACTIONS
Tusk. Melee Weapon Attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft . one target.
Hit: 7 (2d6) Bludgeon damage.
>>
>>68311097
-10 HP
>>
File: elf waif.png (404 KB, 1000x1000)
404 KB
404 KB PNG
>>68311026
Anything not straight human is a monstrous race.
>>
>>68311127
>Elves
It's fireball time.
>>
File: Wistful Selkie.jpg (81 KB, 640x385)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>68311026
Things that aren't monstrous: humans, dwarves, non-drow elves, gnomes, halflings, and anything that are a combination of these without something else.
>>
>>68311075
>warlock/rogue
How does this play? Been wanting to make one for a while but people always seem against it.
>>
File: Ashling.jpg (822 KB, 1920x1200)
822 KB
822 KB JPG
>>68311127
See>>68311168
>>
>>68311168
>>68311191
Cleansing fire for the lot of you then
>>
>>68311191
Is it bad I find Ashling really hot? Pun not intended
>>
>>68311219
Nah, I'm with you. Genasi types are underrated in every sense.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (617 KB, 800x955)
617 KB
617 KB PNG
>>68311096
But anon, if you use that much catgirl in one character, it'll become a catwoman.
>>
>>68311281
Was expecting something more leather clad
>>
>>68311181
Pretty well if you go Pact of the Blade. For rogue I went Swashbuckler so stealth isn't a big component for his build. Hexblade and Hex Warrior are good because a) extra damage and healing on enemy death, plus a wider crit range and b) you can use generally stronger non-finesse weapons using DEX/CHA as your modifier. Chill Touch is also a surprisingly good cantrip due to healing prevention.

For the most part your warlock traits buff your melee damage. You're still mostly a rogue. I'm an RP fag though so I dig the supernatural elements for story.
>>
>>68310372
>How did your current character end up joining the party? If your character was a founding member, under what circumstances was the party formed?

My character saw a flyer for a opening in a band. He thought it was a warband and ended up as hired help.

One night our prick of a (NPC) drummer quit in a huff and I took his place. The rest is history.
>>
>>68311281
It's multiplicative, not additive, so the cuteness goes up.
>>
>>68311075
I want that Tiefling's nose to rub my pussy!
>>
Is doing the floss an acceptable foci for bard spells?
>>
Why in the hell is Lizardfolk skin better armor than every manufactured armor? Shouldn't people be wearing lizardfolk like onesies for that sweet sweet 13+dex?

They should've just had 13 minimum AC and no formula.
>>
>>68311607
Depends, is your character 13 or younger? If yes, sure.
>>
>>68311607
I read this as "is dental floss an acceptable foci"
>>
I'm trying to remember the name of an old monster from like 2e, it could eat magic, communicated telepathically and looked like a hovering worm like thing. Started with a P, but I can't think of it.
>>
>>68311613
They don’t last very well. While the lizardfolk is alive it will constantly shed damaged scales and regrow fresh ones; once the lizardfolk is skinned this no longer occurs, and the skinsuit degrades rapidly.
>>

>Tabaxi Rogue.

Country went to hell in a handbasket, my character in her early youth was a opium smoking merchant who did pottery for a living prior to the country going to shit and the family shop burned down. Seeking a way out she went to the docks looking for the next ship out of there. She stowed away on a boat not knowing it was a pirate ship there to loot. She was eventually found out and a slave for a time being before working her way up to a shipmate do to her natural talents for climbing the masts and being quick on her feet (feline agility and all). She sailed the sea's for about 2 years visiting various ports until they finally docked at the pirates home continent and disbanded, not knowing where to go she wandered and was captured again until the main party helped her escape and attacked her captors.
>>
>>68311748
The aforementioned tiefling warlock/rogue would get along with your character provided she has opium.
>>
Why do ostracized races like tieflings and half-elves get charisma bonuses? Shouldn't it be the contrary since they are not very well regarded by people? And then if you want to be more liked and raise above the stereotype you should spend more points on the stat.

Is the Charisma supposed to showcase that tieflings/halfelves are naturally silver tongued because they need to be in order to survive?
>>
>>68311860
>Is the Charisma supposed to showcase that tieflings/halfelves are naturally silver tongued because they need to be in order to survive?
Yes, but it's worth noting that tieflings got a penalty to charisma prior to 5e.
>>
>>68311860
>Is the Charisma supposed to showcase that tieflings/halfelves are naturally silver tongued because they need to be in order to survive?
I think so. Also you could argue being ostracized makes you more independent/self-dependent and can raise your confidence. Obviously doesn't go for everyone, but it's a decent justification for your character's stats
>>
>>68311860
Nah, races with CHA bonuses are one of the devs' fetishes, is all.
>>
>>68311936
>>68311871
But then why don't half-orcs get charisma, tho?
>>
>>68311281
who is this braphog
>>
>>68310372
The party is what is left of a small kingdom destroyed by an army whose allegiance we are still trying to determine. As far as we know, we were the only four people to flee: the court jester (blade bard), the court wizard's apprentice (abjuration wizard), the crown prince (paladin, swore an oath of vengence upon those who destroyed his kingdom) and my character, a high-ranking soldier from the royal guard (Battle Master fighter)
>>
>>68311974
This. There's a reason Half Elf mathematically gets way more shit than every other race and the tiefling looks like a fetish picture from some deviantart.
>>
>>68312036
Is this also why Firbolgs went from being celtic warriors to Tumblr fruitcakes?
>>
>>68311860
They're hated by normalfag society, obviously, but the CHA bonus comes from the fact that everyone in the multiverse is a secret monstergirl fetishist.
>>
>>68312069
Nah, they were just feeling silly at work that day.
>>
>>68311985
They ugly unless stated otherwise.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (670 KB, 800x955)
670 KB
670 KB PNG
>>68312005
Fatima Eaglefeather from Sdorica.
>>
>>68312196
Charisma has nothing to do with being hot or ugly.
>>
>>68312213
Tell that to tieflings
>>
How big can you make a dungeon crawl map before your players will want to kill themselves

Is 35x35 squares fine?
>>
>>68311860
Being hated doesn't diminish someone's verbal IQ.
>>
>>68312213
t.low CHA Orc mutt
Uuuum, sweetie? Sorry, but only the beautiful people are allowed to talked.
>>
>>68311985
I would rationalize that as tieflings/half elves generally appearing weaker and becoming more prone to using charisma to avoid violence, while half orcs look threatening enough to mitigate violence so their strength does the talking for them.
>how does the devilfolk look weak
Because his horns grew in when he was 15, he's a lanky fuck, who cares.
>>
File: fortnite-build-1212x682.jpg (109 KB, 1212x682)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>>68312232
Nah, it's got to be a 35x35x35 cube. Players love verticality.
>>
>>68312245
t. tiefling tranny warlock
>>
>>68312277
I hate cubes
>>
>waited 5 days for my dm to send me a homebrew subclass created that I need to roll up my character
>it's ridiculously unbalanced
>sent him a cleaned up version to ask if I can use that instead (something he's allowed in the past)
>a day goes by, no word
>game's tomorrow
>tfw the character won't be ready by tomorrow
>>
File: nordom.jpg (25 KB, 281x441)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>68312305
>>
File: Y THO.jpg (912 KB, 1813x2111)
912 KB
912 KB JPG
>>68312315
>homebrew subclass
>>
File: 1549728617806.jpg (87 KB, 790x767)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>68312315
>character won't be ready by tomorrow
Making a characters takes fucking twenty minutes, what are you on about.

If he won't get back to you, just make the character as the closest legitimate sub-class to whatever was homebrewed and refluff it. If ol' boy has a problem, tell him to suck a dick because he never got back to you.
>>
>cloak of flies + bb
Kek
>>
>>68310531
Adamantine weapons are trash. They auto crit objects. In a system with very loose object HP rules and no such thing as Damage Threshold.

Similarly, the number of things that silver weapons apply to is actually very small.

Silver does not get past resistance to nonmagical weapons. It only gets past "Resistant to nonmagical attacks not made with silvered weapons."
So only: Were creatures, ghosts, and devils. and very notably NOT Vampires.
>>
>>68312464
Adamantine armor's pretty nice, though.
>>
File: me.jpg (12 KB, 188x264)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>time to make a dungeon map
>didn't prep one at all
>unbox a tileset and just slap random pieces together on the board
>throw a random trap or have undead fall out of the ceiling
>"This is why I could never DM, the amount of prep work you have to do for this shit must be insane"
>>
>>68312464
>Vampires not affected by silver and radiant damage
5e was a mistake
>>
>>68311860
Because they're supposed to gravitate towards Charisma-based classes.
>>
Fuck you I'm playing a kenku
>>
>>68311860
Race based bonuses were a mistake.

Best way to build a character:
Race First
Then roll in whatever method the DM wants. (I use 4d6d1 swap 2 because I'm weak and softhearted).
Then Class.

None of this, oh I got an 18, now let's racially boost it to the cap at level 1 crap.
>>
>>68310372
He was tracking a Goblin pack that had terrorised a near by farm. the Goblins ambushed the party on a forest trail which is where my character assisted in the fight and offered to split the reward.
it shames me to admit that he was a DMPC at the time.
>>
>>68312196
I want a half-orc sugar daddy!
>>
>>68312501
I usually put a lot of time and effort into session prep, but on weeks when I've have fuckall for free time, my collection of Mage Knight Dungeons crap is pretty handy.
>>
>>68312584
>4d6d1 swap 2
Use 3d4+4 you fucking pansy
>>
>>68312245
>He thinks that elves are people
lyl
>>
>>68310587
One plot hook instead of multiple. Honestly, some of the worst games are the ones were you all go along with the DMs plot even tho no one is really interested in it. The DM should always have multiple plots so the players themselves get to choose. It's a red flag for rail roading.
>>
>>68312575
Why?
>>
>>68310895
>>68310949
Warlock idea is a good one, could make it temporary so once they kill him they get to replace that warlock level with their class level. Plot would be fun.
>>
>>68312629
You're right. They transcend the concept of people. They're gods.
>>
How should I rule rests for Dungeon of the Mad Mage? I've been doing 1d6 chance of encounter on short rests and my players only rest in reasonable rooms. I want them to be a tactical decision as opposed to rest when you feel like.
>>
File: 058.jpg (98 KB, 749x895)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
>>68312629
They are the most mundane thing from the feywild, i want to go deeper
>>
I'm a human Loremaster Wizard that was living as a monk in Candlekeep (Cloistered Scholar background and taking inspiration from the Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep prestige class from NW2), one day i was sent on an errand to the small town of Greenest to sell the monk's monthly gazette and grab some supplies and met the rest of the soon-to-be party on a shared wagon: A nutcase Don Quixote-type human Paladin of Devotion with illusions of grandeur, a human Cleric of Helm, a savage growling halfling Druid that can't speak any languages, and a pretty-much-a-bard half-elf Bladesinger.
When we arrived on town all we could see was a blue dragon soaring around and kobolds burning the town, and the rest is like they say, history... (Yeah, this is Hoard of The Dragon Queen).
>>
>>68312828
What i do in ToA is to roll the D6 3x (day, afternoon, and night) when they go for long rests.
>>
In the real world, a good chunk of injustice and evil came from religion, or used religion as a justification. But in a world where the gods can clearly communicate with their worshipers through spells, how would people justify kingship or any other form of caste-like segregation?
>>
>>68313200
I'm trying to keep their short rests. I like the ToA rules for large hexmaps like Chult, but I want to keep some level of tension for short resting.
>>
>>68312979
Man, the Feywild is suppose to be wild as fuck. Like crystal towers held together by honey, desserts fill with multi-color sand, oceans with abstract creatures living there. The only way to truly show the Feywild is by video or art, not just words.
>>
>>68313233
As in, I don't want them long resting more than once per session at least. Short rest characters like Wizards should feel powerful in that regard.
>>
Okay, I'm running low on character concepts. Any of these sound good?

>emotionless, spaced out autist with a rich inner world
>manic crackpot obsessed with aliens who thinks they hold the secrets to vast sexu-I-I mean cosmic powers
>ambitious prodigy who wants to make a name for himself
>awkward kid who's trying not to die
>>
File: file.png (2.8 MB, 869x1080)
2.8 MB
2.8 MB PNG
>>68313243
The reality bending stuff happens mostly inside the Demesnes of the Archfey besides that the feywild is a plane oversaturated with positive energy that makes everything more intense, eating a fruit or looking at the scenery feels like an addicting experience, not only because of the place and the creatures but because your body is getting pumped with positive energy and pleasure to the point that you will become disable or crazy if you stay for too long.
>>
File: Abstract-Painting-3.jpg (928 KB, 2560x1600)
928 KB
928 KB JPG
>>68313318
I wonder how long the average person can survive before going insane?
>>
File: images (17).jpg (31 KB, 504x608)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
I asked about the chaos marauder flesh warping a couple threads ago and I've figured not how I think I can work it.
Play a spirit totem barbarian with a 3 level dip into Warlock for in any pact of the blade. For fluff say my spirit totem and old one pact are the same entity and that it inhabits my character as part of the the deal. Take only self buff spells and them plus the pact weapon are all fluffed as the spirit warping flesh and manifesting claws and armour plates and what ever.
Does that all seem to work to basically have pic related as a dnd character?
>>
i took a shit in my friends phb and slammed it shut tee hee
>>
>>68313406
Delightfully devilish
>>
>>68313405
Sure but the claws and armour will be comestic only.
>>
>>68313318
So exactly like an ecstasy trip.
>>
>>68313318
Plus everyone wants to have sex all the time.
>>
File: 1401543745034.png (250 KB, 500x333)
250 KB
250 KB PNG
>>68313257
>Short rest characters like Wizards
>>
>>68313475
I mean sex is basically the most mundane thing in the Fey Wild so naturally Fey are attracted to it.
>>
>>68312408
Not him, but...
>Making a characters takes fucking twenty minutes
I have a double nigger in my table that takes TWO (2) hours to fucking finish his characters WITH NO OPTIONAL RULES ALLOWED. I don't know what the hell he takes all that time on. The worse thing is that he insists on helping new players make their characters.
>>
>>68313349
Can't be worse than society.
>>
File: etape3small.jpg (94 KB, 418x499)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>68313503
Feylings, rise up!
>>
What's the deal with people dissing non-human races? I get that some people want to be snowflakes and stick out so they feel special, but what about the people who just like the races because they feel cool? What if I just want to play a minotaur or a dragonborn just because I think they're cool and might make for some interesting roleplay opportunities? Would you still deny me from playing at your table?
>>
>>68313405
technically, pact of the blade doesn't forbid natural weapons
>>
>>68313533
I would deny you playing the WotC broken as all hell stat blocks.
>>
>>68313533
I just hate how people pick all these special races and then act exactly like your average human, with no actual roleplay at all.

>Yeah i wanna play a Kenku!
>What'ya mean i can't talk?! BAD DM LET ME HAVE FUN!!11
>>
>>68313349
Imagine how junkies abuse drugs so much that their bodies can't get anymore pleasure, when they run out of dopamine i think. But you're also in a party for decades, and you also don't age, humans are just not built for that, you start doing things just to challenge reality, going places you should never go, dealing with creatures you must never deal, sticking your dick in things you don't fully understand, losing touch with reality. It doesn't make sense to people who just arrived there but for you it's what keeps you from ending it all

>>68313462
It's a place where everything is potential drug, the only way to stop it is to leave the plane, sometimes you don't have the choice, sometimes you're not strong enough to leave

>>68313475
If you're lucky enough to find one of the neverending bachannals, be accepted, and pray that you don't draw attention or jealousy of some powerful fey while you're there
>>
>be a Feylock Human
>party gets sent to the Feywild
>my time to shine
And we didn't offend any Fey noble while we were there! Though my master wanted my fourth born grandchild to be his new Warlock after I retired. Good deal for not dying, no?
>>
Can demogorgon make it on its own against a party of 6 magic item covered level 15 minmaxers? What if they fight a balor and 4 nalfeshnees beforehand?
>>
>>68313632
Depending on your patron, i think you did well.
>>
>>68312464
>and no such thing as Damage Threshold.
Boats and ships do have damage threshold. It exists, but only for very large objects.
>>
>>68313632
>4th born grandchild
You know that's gonna end up being the good one.
>>
>>68313643
Depends entirely on the DM, if you just toss monsters in a convinient map with zero preparation like you should never do with a legendary monster then it's easy
>>
>>68313578
You chose the worse example it's possible to choose. Nobody want's to sit at a table for the next two years listening to some dipshit squawk and pantomime.
>>
>>68313713
Then play something else.
>>
File: pantsu_fairy.jpg (101 KB, 500x640)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>68313684
>>68313632
>Just before you retire, the local Druid reads a prophecy about your 4th born child being actually your very own reincarnation
>>
>>68313667
I use damage threshold for most gargantuan creatures, my players don't complain
>>
>>68313758
Eat my ass, crybaby.
>>
>>68312631
Even for a one-off? I'm trying to come up with something for when our DM wants to take a break and I figured having too many plot hooks would be a bad thing.
>>
File: x9Vzy4s.jpg (36 KB, 530x530)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>68313768
>tfw should have expected that from the Fey from the get-go
Though he hasn't been that bad. Only sent my Feylock on two suicide missions. One where he met his wife.
>>
>>68313768
Post the rest of this panty fairy set.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (38 KB, 623x527)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
What are the things normie pop culture gets wrong about D&D that you hate the most?

>All you need to play is a D20!
>>
File: Pige.png (295 KB, 419x419)
295 KB
295 KB PNG
>>68313768
>Archfey prank your bloodline with reincarnation with a never-ending cycle of rebirth
Fey cruelty knows no bounds.
>>
>>68313854
>I just need the PHB and skim through it!
>>
>>68313854
I have literally never heard that.
>>
File: pan_fairy.jpg (103 KB, 500x640)
103 KB
103 KB JPG
>>68313848
>>
>>68313882
Thank you~
>>
File: QT3.14.jpg (63 KB, 1280x720)
63 KB
63 KB JPG
>And here's my Half-Elf Paladin/Sorcerer, DM!
>>
File: Spoiler Image (737 KB, 1200x1600)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
>>68313921
np
>>
File: lawyer.jpg (44 KB, 604x327)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>68313859
I'm sorry sir but Archfeys don't have the power to do that.
>>
File: Titania_Stats.jpg (715 KB, 1367x963)
715 KB
715 KB JPG
>>68313942
Gods can do a lot of things you seelie, and a lot of them are
>>
What is even a fairy patron? No, really. Fey monsters aren't even that strong.
>>
>>68313942
You severely underestimate Fey power and their desire to prank.
>>68313985
A being made of extreme emotions with a higer thinking who thinks you're cute and gets a gift. Now you're a servant to them!
>>
>>68311117
>6-7 PCs
5 sounds more ideal

Also, if that thing crits, it'll do 8d6 damage (and it should add probably +3? damage to that since it appears it has a strength of about +3) which will outright kill even a level 1 barbarian unless they're raging instantly.
>>
>>68314024
What if I think a fey is cute and I give them a gift?
>>
>>68311613
Unless you have unnaturally high dex, it's worse than a breastplate or that other 14 base medium armor.
>>
>>68314145
They still own you. Fey culture is amazing.
>>
>>68314145
Then they'll give a better gift because a fey in debt is a fey enslaved.
>>
>>68312196
>>68311860
Reminder that charisma is nothing to do with your subjective appearance or how some people view your race or whatever the fuck, the only proper measure of your appearance and even such is vague is constitution, and to an even lesser extent strength or maybe even dex.
>>
>>68312315
You don't need homebrew.
>>
>>68314167
>>68314166
>One foolish human noble who gave a cute fairy a pen she was looking at inadvertently started an arms race in the form of aggressive gift giving with a fae kingdom.
>Legend says they're still trading peacefully to this day, but the gifts can only get so extravagant before it all starts going downhill
>>
File: file.png (395 KB, 750x354)
395 KB
395 KB PNG
>>68313985
Feywild is a land of lost Gods and wandering primordials, Fey is not the only type of creature that originated from and exists there.

On a side note, here's some feywild inspiration, I was looking for an example of a fading city like the city of Shinaelestra that exists in the feywild during the day and at midnight the city appears in the high forest, it reminded me of the Black fortress from Krull.
>>
Post ideas for campaigns -
>An ancient evil awakens
>Turns out what was evil for its time is actually pretty socially acceptable nowadays
>He needs help handing out pamphlets
>>
File: 1548536837805.jpg (130 KB, 1194x1191)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>68313632
Jokes on you, Fey, I'm too pathetic to have kids.
>>
>>68310372
Does anyone know where Ghosts of Saltmarsh is in the trove? I cant find it.
>>
>>68314262
its in the home page retard
>>
>>68314240
Gimme one serious example of some old evil that's is now ok, in forgotten realms. Maybe something related to Shar, since back in the days getting spells from something besides Mystril's weave was indeed considered an abomination
>>
>>68314240
Do you then go on a quest to rid the world of its current evil ways so that the ancient evil can go back to being evil and all of mankind can go back to being good?
>>
My current campaign's first major chapter is coming to an end, and I want to hook us into Red Hand of Doom.

...but I, for some reason, cannot find the motivation to just read the fucking book. So the last session of Chapter 1 of this campaign is Sunday (I'm super prepped for it and it's gonna be fucking great)...and I need motivation to dig into RHOD.

How do you other DMs stay motivated instead of just taking the easy, improv route every week? Maybe I just take a month off and tell them I gotta prep.
>>
Dragonborn Paladin of Conquest.

Dragonfear feat? Yes or no? How would you change the feat to make it work better with the Aura of Conquest?
>>
A while ago I read of an idea for a wizard who only ever learned to counterspell and hit people with swords. Is it possible to build this character in 5e?
>>
File: file.png (1.23 MB, 1000x563)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB PNG
>>68313859
You are here forever
>>
>>68314580
Isn't it just an eldritch knight?
>>
>>68314580
Play a bladelock and take counterspell.
>>
>>68314580
There are a few gishes that could satisfy this, namely Bladesinger and EK as proper INT-based wizards. Note that, you'd still have learned other spells, mechanically. You'd just only cast Counterspell and flavor it differently. Though you might want to extend the idea to an anti-magic wizard in general to at least make use of your lower level spell slots for stuff like, Identify and Detect Magic and such.
>>
>>68314629
General anti-magic wizard was the idea, I just didn't know if there was a word for what I was thinking of besides counterspell. The idea was that he fights in wizard duels and wins by dispelling everything the other wizard casts and then hitting them with the sword
>>
>>68314667
This would be an Abjuration wizard. Abjuration, as a school, is all about nullifying damage both magical and mundane.

https://www.dndbeyond.com/spells/school/abjuration
>>
>>68314667
Either go EK and get to a high level then or go abjuration wizard and take booming blade or something.
>>
>>68314419
I mean, that's up to the players.
>>68314305
Freeing slaves, freedom for all, egalitarian ideals, seize the means of production. Free thought, freedom of religion, interracial mingling. The homosexual agenda. The elven agenda. The dwarven agenda. Halfings just in general. New political ideologies in general. Capitalism being predominantly self interested instead of existing for the "tribe". Or the opposite of any of these depending on your setting.
>>
>>68314707
>>68314744
Abjuration wizard it is!
>>
>>68314782
Bear in mind you'll either want Eldritch Knight, which is a Fighter, or Bladesinger, which is an elf-only Wizard. If your definition of "wizard" is a little more lax, consider bladelock or bard.
>>
File: 3zwd9czj7d731.jpg (85 KB, 480x360)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
>>68314475
Well that's my secret... i can't improv.
>>
>>68314475
My players have summarily ignored everything I've prepped in every session. There biggest concern is ALWAYS where is the gate. They've been to 4 towns in 5 sessions and are headed to the 5th new town in session 6. Including that there addre only 3 towns I haven't mapped, populated and tied in to major and minor arcs and personal backstories where relevant. And the first thing they do? How's do we leave?!

What inspires me? The least bit of interest from the players, of which I have none.
>>
>>68311871
Prior to 4e
>>
>>68314982
Have their wagon lose a wheel, or one of their horses break a leg. Have some of their gear need replacement, or maintenance, and it won't be ready for a few days. Put more of an emphasis on their supplies, or information gathering. Shortly after they enter the city, there's a riot, or quarantine, or siege, and nobody is allowed in or out of the city. Engineer a situation that requires them to stay there.

Leave blatant plot hooks about the city, create a sense of intrigue. Have plans set in motion that, if not stopped, will have consequences to them later, be they militant or economical. That or just, stop designing cities. If your players don't care about towns, focus on the stuff they do care about.
>>
>>68314496
bump
>>
>>68313643
Depends on where hes at, if hes at home absolutely not
If hes in a lair outside the abyss maybe, if hes just wondering about the underdark then theyll probably kill him just as easily as he killed orcus
>>
File: elrondgrey.jpg (26 KB, 500x375)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>mfw a H*man Wizard casts a spell near me
>>
Starting an "open table" west marches game at my FLGS to steal players from AL. What options should I ban / house rules should I have for 5e? Better to get it out beforehand than deal with it later. Anything mechanics related, I already have table etiquette stuff like what happens if your dice roll on the floor (reroll no matter what) covered.
>>
File: vMR2let.jpg (75 KB, 700x700)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
Any day now at least one DM will accept my application! hahaha
>>
File: tenor.gif (962 KB, 310x434)
962 KB
962 KB GIF
>>68315455
Best of luck, anon. Here's hoping it's soon.
>>
>>68315455
online geimu?
>>
>>68315427
Let the Ranger start with a focus/pouch by default.
>>
>>68311097
boomer/10
>>
>>68315455
Are you following the proper guidelines on how to make an application? Without them you are likely never landing a game.
>>
File: 16546.jpg (39 KB, 437x196)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>tfw dm didn't let me take the hit points from this effect
to be fair, I think this should be acceptable for the gamble of possibly getting dumbass flumphs
>>
>>68315553
I am. To the T I follow application guidelines.
>>
>>68315568
Not just the ones in the game anon, you must follow specific untold rules to maximize your chances to join a game, specially if they ask for a character before you join.
>>
>>68315568
What's wrong with you
>>
>>68315606
>specific untold rules
go on
>>
>>68315654
Sorry we're can't tell you. Post your dumb ass shit and we'll tear it apart though.
>>
>>68310587
>this game is inspired by Dark Souls/Warcraft
I'm guilty of this shit in every game I've run
>>
>>68315677
Come on, spill a little more details on your sins anon, what sort of inspiration did you take and how did it backfire?
>>
>>68315727
God I hope it's a dodge roll, bonfires, and fog gates.
>>
>prepared spellcasters need to decide which spells will use which spell slots each day

is this an improvement, or an abomination?
>>
>>68315739
What does the Dodge action do and when do you use it?
>>
>>68311127
That's a boy isn't it?
>>
>>68315739
>bonfires, and fog gates
At least you don't do item descriptions, weapon references and characters. I literally grabbed Siegward, reskinned him and dumped into the game and about half the party is non the wiser.
>>
>>68315785
I'd say abomination, a lot more busywork for caster prep with minimal upside. Frankly i'd rather not go back to 3.5-esque casting.

Is workable, but heavily depends on your group.
>>
File: file.png (376 KB, 400x589)
376 KB
376 KB PNG
>If you roll a 1 on a saving throw vs a fire spell the helm of brilliance explodes
Have you guys ever used an item like this, that could get destoyed much easier than other magical items? what about ioun stones or stong items that can run out of magic do you have any experience using something like this?
>>
>>68315804
Honestly rip-offs never bothered me much as a player, so long as they kinda fit, and the person doing it doesn't get overly possessive over it.
>>
Does it make sense being a CE warlock with a LE devil patron?
>>
>>68315788
If you dodge as an action, ending your turn, you can move 5 feet without provoking attacks of opportunity, if you're unencumbered you gain 5 AC and advantage on dex based saving rolls, and attacks made against you are made with disadvantage. You can only dodge a number of times equal to your constitution modifier per combat.

This was a joke.

>>68315804
I was actually joking about that, as I feel those are the things copied from Dark Souls to make a game 'Soulslike' when the little direct narrative (but heavy setting) and very interconnected world design are what actually define them best, in my opinion.
>>
>>68315824
I allow magic item shops with +1 weapons and armor, but if they suffer damage from an element, they break and the magic/enchantment is lost forever. Often they don't know what breaks them until it does, so they are always guessing.
So far they only lost a +1 shield that burned away. They haven't bought any other items yet.
>>
>tfw every cool spell that's not blasting or teleportation takes concentration
>>
>>68315846
Yes.
>>
File: trap head.jpg (227 KB, 768x882)
227 KB
227 KB JPG
>>68310372
Longtime Pathfinder/3.5E player here. Considering making the switch to 5E. What do you like about it over 3.PF? Less number crunch?
>>
>>68315903
Less bullshit, easier to make up things on the fly with the simplified ruleset. More streamlined combat without having to find 6 different kind of dice per turn.
>>
>>68310640
Alchemist's assistant, after your master distilled elemental shadow into its purest state they asked you to take the vials up to the storage closet upstairs, hijinks ensue.
>>
>>68315903
Less number crunch, less broken shit, full attack actions not existing, cleaner spell preparation. Think those are the main positives. Then again, I still play both, so eh.
>>
>>68315944
Would you say it has more of an OSR/AD&D feel to it? I'm running a campaign for my dad and uncles, so that would be a bonus.
>>
Alright, /5eg/, I've decided. My space-themed wizard is a lead-foil-gnome-hat conspiracy theorist who is obsessed with "outsiders": creatures from beyond the stars or from other dimensions who know the secrets to great sexual-I-I mean cosmic power!

I'm sort of basing him on Dib, but not really because I marathoned that show once years ago

This is going to be good

>>68315903
pros:
>less number crunch
>less shit to remember
>faster gameplay
>easier to join a game
cons:
>shit character customization options
>you can only really have one ongoing spell effect at a time
>>
>>68316031
Sounds like they should be fun to play, any idea what the campaign is?
>>
>>68315981
Never played either so I couldn't tell you, however I think even ad&d was more complicated for at least character creation.
>>
>>68316031
>shit character customization options
Could you elaborate?
>>
>>68315981
Tends to be less harsh then the older editions, unless you start cherry picking the oddly CRed monsters.
>>
>>68316104
Intellect devourers are total bullshit and I refuse to ignore it.
>>
>>68316049
kinda, the character's a reroll – the last one sort of ascended to demigodhood – so I already know the score, but we just hit level 5 and left the starting city so things might be different from here on out. Previously it was urban horror but the future's looking like it's going to have a religious fundamentalism plot instead of something ghost and abomination-heavy
>>
>>68316111
>CR 2
>Devour intellect reduces your INT
>At 1 INT you are unable to communicate properly or cast spells
>At 0 INT you are brain dead and stunned
>Only way to recover from this is from Greater Restoration
>At CR 2 encounters

I threw 3 of these fucks at my level 13s and one player lost his INT. Luckily I just waved around that dying and getting revivified brought back his lost INT.
>>
>>68316130
Sounds like they should fit in pretty well then, got some ranty conspiracy theories all lined up and ready?
>>
>>68316150
I think long rests are supposed to fix it too. However the stun and "roll dice to see if you're effectively dead after 1 hit" are just like, fuck you.
>>
>>68316167
No, crawfish has said that only Greater Restoration fixes it since its one of the few ways of recovering lost stats.
>>
File: 1470037629107.gif (1.14 MB, 300x200)
1.14 MB
1.14 MB GIF
>Big rp moment today
>Character resurrections. My bard, a warlock and paladin
>Paladin gets a proper breakdown of their afterlife
>Gets heartfelt words from the party to come back
>Warlock gets the same
>My turn
>DM repeatedly fucks up naming the power that's held my bard all it's life
>No mention of my afterlife outside "it's full of those wierd sounds you made"
>Because I died as a goat DM claims I cannot speak, remain one in death and heavily implies I'd be resurrected as one
>Straight up tell him that no I don't want to be fucking joke in this serious moment
>The moment is ruined, no call to return. No parting words. Just a real awkward line back and forth
I'm not mad. I'm upset. Faggotish as it is. This was a Big Moment and because the dm wanted to cling to some bullshit it's nothing but a foul memory
>>
>>68316180
I don't trust crawdad's opinion on the matter. How can something that causes no physical damage, and isn't a curse be permanent, and if it is permanent damage why can't it be fixed by something like lay on hands? It's essentially saying "This is not physical, it's not magic, but it's fixed by this rando spell whos purpose is to fix things."
>>
>>68316224
Also I would accept that it's psionic leeching that causes the dumbing down, in which case killing the devourer should fix it.
>>
File: 1541610885655.jpg (94 KB, 521x524)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>ToA
>Give player one of a kind magic item
>Restores all hp, recovers from all ailments, and gives bonus hit die when consumed
>Fucking lost in a sphere of annihilation with the PC's body
>Give players one of a kind magic item
>Allows character to cast misty step at will until death
>Character fucking dies a few sessions after
>Give players one wish as a gift from an stone egg found in Omu as part of an irl easter special
>Few sessions later they use it to avoid a TPK from the Beholder
>Player sits in sphere
>Obtains a wish in a 1 in 100 chance
>Uses it that same session as his last breath after getting forked by a Horned Devil
>>
>>68316347
Sounds like the Tomb of Annihilation's working as advertised, then.
>>
>>68315903
Less martial / caster disparity. Casters cantrips and low level spells have been improved so they're not a complete dead weight for the first 5 levels, but they also don't overshadow the end game nearly as much. They're still incredibly useful for their utility, but concentration means they can't buff themselves to out martial the martials at all. Cleric and Druid are still very strong classes though for being able to do both roles.

Oh and less twinked out builds because you can't custom order any magic item you want anymore. Some DMs play with magic items purchaseable from a small generated list that refreshes occasionally, others have it be loot only (in which case money becomes basically worthless), but the game works either way.

Battles are also a bit less interesting unless you keep a real tight handle on PC power. Monsters have very low ACs but a lot more hitpoints (but PC damage also scales up more as you level), so it feels a bit morel like beating a pinata at times than having a tense duel, and fights in general end a lot quicker. Strongly strongly recommend you port over the special abilities from PF monsters when it makes the game more interesting. A lot of 5e monster abilities are just lackluste.

5e adventures are a lot less inherently railroady than Pathfinder (assuming they're both being run by a capable DM), because there's only 1 large book instead of 6 sub adventures that need to lead into each other. This also means that 5e Adventures are somewhat shorter and a bit more thematically focused (which is both a boon and bane)

I like it because it's the closest I can get to running an OSR game and actually having players.
>>
>>68316347
I still don't get the sphere of annihilation trap. Like, you wouldn't feel pain or the loss of control of that limb as you put it into the sphere? If you go in head first wouldn't your body just go limp? How is it eating adventurer's whole?
>>
>>68316347
Sounds like you're giving your players lots of dramatic elements Anon. Good job. Also TOA a shit.
>>
>>68316375
Its different from the one in Tomb of Horrors, this one is located in a disposal room and sucks you in it if you pull the wrong lever. You need to pull one of two levers in order to escape the room since teleporting out just takes you to that room.
You pull the lever and you get two dex saves, otherwise you instantly die along with all your equipment.
>>
>>68310372
I never had a player character.
>>
>>68315903
>>68316366
The other cool thing about bounded accuracy is it means you can have open world adventures and tell the party "go nuts" and they can try to punch above their weight and still have a chance if they play it smart.

Whereas in PF you just *need* to have a certain amount of gear/levels to handle certain enemies, so they have to play a lot more linear to make sure that PCs have the right power level.

>>68316347
Nice man. I wish I was a player in your game, that sounds intense.
>>
>>68316153
Not yet. I think I'm mostly going to draw directly from lore or real life. That said, I don't want to rely too heavily on fantasy-/pol/ nonsense. The character has to be a little likable.

Ideas:
>blames every unexplained on outsiders or fifth-and-a-half-dimensional beings
>the government is trying to hide knowledge of psionic powers from the people
>gnomes aren't real, they're a ruse perpetrated by hatter's and cobbler's guilds to expand their customer base into the halfling demographic
>>
File: Iswlgoi.png (162 KB, 287x290)
162 KB
162 KB PNG
Hello?
>>
>>68316669
fuck off
>>
>>68316784
O-o-oh...
>>
File: 18ky133dhws2rjpg.jpg (64 KB, 640x360)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>68316669
Yes, hello, and everyone give a big welcome to our newest contestant, anon. Now, anon, what sort of character do you play?
>>
>>68316347
>Beholders
>Being any sort of threat
>>
How is Kobold Press' Midgard? I wanted to use a premade campaign setting out of lazyness and there just seems to be back shit about forgotten realms unless I look back at 3.5
>>
File: pokemon.jpg (49 KB, 900x900)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>68316910
Pokemon!
>>
When's abberant mind legal?
>>
>>68317380
never
>>
Which class best suits Undertale's Sans as far as capabilities go? He feels kind of Wizardy, although I'm inclined to say Light Cleric because I think you could replicate the flying bones with Spiritual Weapon and Spirit Guardians.
>>
>>68317601
Sans is intelligent yes, but he's charismatic most of all. Sans would most definitely be a sorcerer. He plays practical pranks on Frisk every time he shows up and spices things up using reality bending magic to make his pranks all the more nonsensical, so to me it feels like Sans would be a wild magic sorcerer, from all the sheer chaos he creates and his control of causality.
>>
File: file.png (538 KB, 612x407)
538 KB
538 KB PNG
>players finally meet the Beholder in the middle of his lair unaware he was watching them since they entered it
>Beholder looks at them with his anti-magic ray active
>they suddenly free fall upwards hitting the ceiling falling prone and taking damage
>PCs quickly realise the entire dungeon is upside down with a permanent reverse gravity spell on it that is suppressed when the beholder uses his anti-magic ray.
>Disintegration ray makes holes on the walls. ceiling and floor. when a player accidentaly enters one of these holes (via the reverse gravity/antimagi effect or the telekinesis ray) he falls indefinatelly and is effectively out of combat, or just falls on lava as the DM sees fit

Beholders have no right to be so much fun for the DM, not to mention the other rays like fear and charm, the lair and legendary actions and the maze of holes and tunnels the Beholder uses to hover in and out of them making it extremelly hard for the party to follow it
>>
>player gets a sentient sword
>use bone conductive headphones to talk to him
>play someone humming a song while they're in cobat
>they don't want the Sword anymore
>>
>>68317179
It's pretty alright, lots of empty space as well if you want to throw your own stuff in as well
>>
File: unknown.png (640 KB, 1748x2480)
640 KB
640 KB PNG
I'm making my first DnD character - he's a Dragonborn Warlock. He's got Eyes of the Runekeeper so he's themed around being a linguist/investigator.

What spells should I pick from Pact of the Tome?
>>
>>68317795
whys he look so angry
>>
>>68317799
He's seen some shit.
>>
>>68317795
guidance and message
>>
>friend wanted to try and DM
>just went with dragon of icespire peak for cheap
>apparently it's barebones as fuck
This is unfortunate
>>
>>68317867
theres a trove with FREE shit anon
>>
>>68317867
Sometimes less is more.
>>
>>68317795
Guidance, Mending, and Mage Hand or Thaumaturgy.
>>
How to RP a Devotion Paladin?
>>
>>68317982
Terry Crews
>>
>>68313854
>Casters are weak because no armor and d4 HPs!
>>
How should I handle a player falling into the River Styx?
>>
Varnë, armor of Caranthir - magic half-plate, very rare (requires attunement)
This suit of half-plate was once created by the great Caranthir. While wearing it, you receive +1 bonus to your armor class. The armor is shimmering slightly, enough to create dim light within 5 feet of the wearer.
If the wearer ends his turn 20 feet or more from the point he started in, attacks against him are made with a disadvantage until the beginning of his next turn.

R8 and h8
>>
File: 1523917989494.png (508 KB, 640x478)
508 KB
508 KB PNG
>This is your antagonist of the Arc.
What is your response /5eg/?
>>
>>68318196
Things are about to go off the rails.
>>
>>68318124
Make them immortal, one would suppose.
>>
>>68318196
I don't run railroad campaigns.
>>
>>68318124
Like with the ghost's horrifying visage, they must make a save, whether CON or WIS(whichever you like) or lose their lifespan for every minute they're in the river styx.
>>
>>68318196
Ia, ia, Thomas ftagn
>>
Friend says you can't power game pure druid outside moon. Is he right?
>>
>>68318437
Anything can be powergamed if you're autistic enough.
>>
>>68318124
Ignore the other two, the river styx wipes memories, including muscle memory. You set the character as a commoner with current hit points and stats but no levels or backround or features
>>
What are the odds of convincing a DM to let me use an Eladrin Elf? And what are the odds of convincing a DM to let me pick the Fey Teleportation feat whenever our group is allowed feats?

I mean I know two free teleports would probably be broken as fuck but I want to make a character who's backstory is a pretty thief who always got away somehow.
>>
/5eg/, I had Hellspike Prison for years but never ran the adventure within. I thought about running it in 5th, but there's a small problem: the included devils changed a lot between editions in terms of power level and now the end boss barbed devil is mook level and the things like chain devils and Erynies have been buffed. Should I run the adventure as is, with the main devil being weaker than the things before being an issue or should I switch the monsters around for similar CR to 3.5 ones?
>>
>>68318480
Kill yourself, waifushitter, nobody wants you jacking off to your character under the table.
>>
>>68318480
It's not as high-impact as you think. I'd allow it
>>
>>68318503
Could make up the story. Have the final boss act like an ass who's all "why fight you when that's my HENCHMEN'S JOBS" and make the final fight be more about the 1-2 monster they fight before him. Once they deal with them he'll seem like a pushover (think Shang Sung hiding behind Goro in MortalKombat 1/movie).

Or you could just up the challenge rating for the boss, flub some bigger numbers for the guy.
>>
>>68318527
Nah. Stay mad your character ugly.
>>
>>68318503
>: the included devils changed a lot between editions in terms of power level
It doesn't matter, the module's original level is just a guideline to new DMs or groups who don't know how to play the game yet. When you're running the adventure, the DM adjusts and changes CR as he sees fit to adjust the monsters to the PCs level.
If the module doesn't provide a background reason to why the Barbed Devil end boss who runs the dungeon is stronger than normal, the DM can think of a reason as well that matches the context as well.
>>
>>68318540
Well, I figure the Erynies is right next to the final boss, so combining the encounter could work. I am still doubtful about triple chain devil encounter though.
>>
>>68312501
I play and roll20 and do one of the following
>take the time to properly size the map and align to grid that I got from r/mapsubreddit
>combat is boring because map is flat with little cover
Or
>draw two or three elevations
>area of difficult terrain
>roll a few d6s physically on a paper and put obstacles the d6 size in those rough locations
>put a hazard that moves you into a bad spot or damages them
Combat runs great. I could prepare these in advance, but I'm so lazy and my players can never click on their token to be added to init, which gives me time to make the maps.
If it matters, I'll make maps in advance, especially if I want some set piece to be used. But I usually run everything on the fly.
>>
>>68318620
In 3.5 barbed devil was the big dick strong monster encounter because barbed devils were more powerful than any other devil included in the adventure. But in 5e the reverse is true, Kytons and Erynies were buffed while barbed devils were nerfed. Which makes me wonder if this would not turn the adventure into a grueling boss fight after boss fight with a weak guy at the end or should I replace the devils with appropriate ones throughout (e.g. use a Horned Devil for the final boss and barbed devils as elites earlier in the dungeon).
>>
>>68317885
As someone who tried to DM for the first time using the trove and a really shitty laptop. No.

I thought having a searchable PDF would be awesome, but it was basically just terrible. And it made prep work pretty obnoxious too to have to keep bouncing between what I was writing and my screen.

If you are so broke that you need to use the trove for your actual game, then I strongly suggest you copy all of the rooms onto your flashcards / notebook in complete detail, not just the usual blurbs / monster stats.

Using the trove to scout something out before you buy it physical is just being a smart consumer though.
>>
File: 1543351611577.jpg (310 KB, 700x849)
310 KB
310 KB JPG
How old are you /5eg/?

https://www.strawpoll.me/18629366/

Kind of curious about the demographics of this general.
>>
>play with new group (pbp)
>rolls allowed so I make open hand monk because when else will a monk be playable?
>Goo tomelock, shepherd druid, champ fighter
>hunting a witch causing problems
>in her lair, no witch, but some owlbears
>druid summons some spiders
>champ gets pushed down a trap hole, which is a slide where orcs and a Lamia are waiting
>run down slippery slope, make orc heads roll
>druid follows
>warlock is still with owlbears and confused that everyone left him
>check his sheet, devils sight but no darkness
>chill touch, eldritch blast, frostbite, infestation, spare the dying, toll the dead
>crown of madness, dissonant whispers, hellish rebuke, hypnotic pattern, Misty Step, phantasmal force
>I suggest Misty Step to slide, hop down slide and see what happens once he's down
>he EBs an owlbear before Misty stepping and hopping down slide
>his next turn he disengages to move past a crap ton of orcs into a good position and says he just wasted his turn
>meanwhile champ fighter got manacles put on him and is restrained :D
>>
>>68318808
>emoticon
Anon, it’s an image board. Use the tool available to you.
>>
File: file.png (175 KB, 2560x1080)
175 KB
175 KB PNG
>>68318733
That's your call as a DM. You can adjust the Barbed Devil's CR up or change the final boss to something else.The DMG has rules to adjusting the CR of monsters, the 5e.tools has a tool to change the CR but do NOT follow it blindly, just use it as a guideline and compare to the DMG tables and with monsters of similar CR to see if the numbers aren't too off.
>>
>>68318953
Post the Uncommoner
>>
File: The Uncommoner.png (73 KB, 568x388)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>68318964
Here you go, anon!
>>
>named villain reduced to 0 hp
>GM immediately shuts us all down and describes a cutscene in which regenerates and runs away
>later scolds us OOC for not hearing him out
I think I'm gonna be sick
>>
Is there anything in the PHB or DMG that explains that players are expected to 1) use their god damn brains, 2) make rational decisions, as opposed to just rolling Intelligence for those things? Barring a RAW clarification, is there any SA or developer commentary about it?

Could a hypothetical player show up in Adventurers' League and Intelligence-roll brute-force answers to ~50% of the session's challenges in a perfectly RAW way, since "lntelligence measures [...] the ability to reason" and "logic"?

>>68318733
What you're asking is essentially
>Am I OK with running a dungeon of just big bad monsters with a weakling at the end?
which is to say
>Would DMing that be fun and manageable?
>Thematically, is that a good fit for my game?
>Are my players OK with that?
>Mechanically, assuming the players just fight everything, is this going to be horribly slow?
Only you can answer the first four questions. As for the fifth, I suggest just straight up running the numbers. Simulate a couple fights real quick, see if they last any longer than your group can bear. It'll be good practice too, what with how complex high CR monster statblocks can get.
>>
File: 1560714597988.png (26 KB, 644x800)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>68318996
Yikes, you don't like cinematic story telling? Okay bigot.
>>
>>68319045
I think I threw up in my mouth a little
have your (you)
>>
>>68318969
Goddamn someone is hitting up the local Gamespot for more D4s.
>>
Rolled 2, 4, 4, 4, 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1, 3, 2, 3, 2, 4, 1, 3, 1, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3 = 71 (25d4)

>>68319064
Imagine being a boomer that needs physical dice
>>
>>68310372
>A dungeon hallway is actually a massively upscaled heat induction coil, heating metals to incandescence within seconds.
I need help with this one. How would the players surpass it? I thought at first that "characters wearing non-metallic clothes and armors can pass without anything more severe than discomfort," but I'm not so sure if physics supports this.
>>
>>68319194
Throw all metal/tensers disk
Walk through
>>
Imagine being a zoomer who doesn't like the sound of multiple handfuls of physical dice hitting the table.
>>
>>68319219
Where's my (you)?!
Dice app makes the lovely rolling sound and adds up all the results. It's way faster. You're why combat takes an hour
>>
File: IMG_1728.jpg (396 KB, 1600x1200)
396 KB
396 KB JPG
>>68319187
>2019
>Not using a pop-o-matic for your physical dice
>>
>>68319242
Combat takes an hour because the system has massive amounts of hitpoint bloat. I don't think dice rolls have much to do with it (or that 5th was written with them in mind as an explanation for rolling physical dice being slow)
>>
File: 1557438416598.png (837 KB, 1431x1188)
837 KB
837 KB PNG
Anyone know of a good source for cheap bulk terrain? Stuff like doorways and rocks and stuff to make the dungeon mat more interesting?
>>
>>68319276
That's actually really neat. Too bad making one isn't really worth the time, and buying one's probably too expensive for what it does.
>>
>>68310372
He wanted to get out of his hometown and hitched a ride with a traveling monk. They wound up in town and, needing cash, took a job from some guy who hired them and a few others.

Now he and the monk are the only two of the original group left, along with a third guy who's dying (his player left IRL so he's basically an NPC now). Right now I'm trying to find a cure for him, since my guy feels guilty about another party member who died.
>>
>>68319242
-holds phone close to face-
-repeatedly taps the thing till he gets the roll thats high enough-

Oh wow guess I'm just lucky today XDDD Again XXXXXXDDDDDD
>>
>>68311607
I rule yes, but it's focus, Cletus; foci is plural.
>>
>>68311860
I thought it was related to their intimidating presence.
>>
>>68318996
Hah, at least he let the bad guy hit 0 hp. The worst railroad DMs just discreetly fudge hit points. Or don't even use hit points, I suspect

But yeah. Smelliest trick in the failed novelist's book. Sorry you had to deal with that, anon.

>>68319194
Personally I'd try throwing rocks and dirt and wooden furniture on it until it's safe. Those should be widely available in most dungeons.
Failing that, are the walls climbable? Is there a river or small stream nearby that could be redirected? Or a flying or heat-resistant monster that one could befriend?
>>
What subclass/class/multiclass do you despise the most?

Be honest /5eg/. No one's judging.
>>
File: file.png (189 KB, 309x309)
189 KB
189 KB PNG
>>68319287
Aquarium decorations, is one I hear often!
>>
File: 1536520681554.jpg (278 KB, 960x960)
278 KB
278 KB JPG
>>68319363
Bard. I have nothing wrong with it mechanically, the people who PLAY Bards are fucking insufferable. You are NOT SAM RIEGEL.
>>
>>68313231
Feudal rule could be an option.
>>
>>68319318
Jokes on your
I spent 0 time weighing dice, putting them in salt water, unbalancing them
Free app too

Nat 20, first try
Don't worry about the other rolls, I just like rolling to make sure the app is evenly distributing my results
>>
>>68313290
Alien guy or awkward kid offer the best/most roleplaying potential. Autistic retard with rich inner life would lead you to boring sessions a lot, and ambitious prodigy who wants to make a name for himself is literally stock character tier.
>>
>>68319456
>>
>>68319187
That's like bragging about your movie collection and showing a bunch of torrents.
If it ain't physical it ain't impressive.
>>
>>68319360
There is a pool of water nearby. It is, however, placed after the heat tunnel.
The heat hallway is dug into a wall, so climbing is out of the question. I am torn between making the system magical so a caster can dispel it away temporarily or making it nonmagical so one can tunnel around it and disable the systems.
The dungeon is mostly automatons and golems. The rock ones get by fine, but the hall was made to ward off metal constructs.
>>
The group is gonna be lvl 4 soon, as a barbarian with 16 str and the Fell Handed UA feat, should i pick up GWM or get the ASI for +2 str?
The occasional bonus action attack is really tempting.
>>
Why do so many players here think casters are overpowered?
In the campain I'm in the casters whine a lot because they're always in trouble in battle, and getting oneshot by rouges or getting knocked prone by wild dogs.
They even mentioned they're jealous because my paladin has 70 hp at level 5 while theyre still below 35 max hp
>>
File: wizardsandmelees_9442.jpg (24 KB, 350x276)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>68319541
pic
>>
>>68319541
In theory casters are stronger, but in game it depends on the DM and the players, DMs can fuck you up regardless of class and make it look like an accident
>>
>>68319541
Because the casters in your campaign suck. Otherwise they would have taken the spells that would be keeping them alive.
>>
>>68319562
But that only plots damage though.
At level 10 hitting a paladin is like trying to punch a cannonball, while wizards will still get dropped by a single fireball dropped on them
>>
>>68319590
Not just damage.
At high levels the wizard flies, teleports, shoots eye lasers, while the martial is thumping more times per round and, maybe, casting some spells or using maneuvers.
>>
>>68319541
Casters can just do more. RAW martials are lumped with nothing but restrictions, whereas pick a thing you want to do and there’s a cantrip for that
>>
>>68319541
Because casters get tons of tools to meaningful change the plot
>>
>>68319363
Ranger
Wanna be an archery or dual wielder? Play a Fighter.
Wanna be a nature dude? Play a Druid.
Wanna do both? Multiclass
>>
>>68319669
This. So much this. The last campaign I played in, everything was powered my magic of course: The airship, the shield that protected the city, the literally volcanic WMD, etc etc. So of course, the McGuffin we always had to chase that affected all those things was - you guessed it - magical. And who were the only people in the group with the magical knowledge of how to use them? The magic users, of course.
>>
>>68319526
ASI
>>
File: evans_cellar.gif (2.61 MB, 383x252)
2.61 MB
2.61 MB GIF
>>68316669
hello?
>>
>>68318996
What a ponce.

One of my players snuck into a bad guy's luggage, road up to the top of his hide out with him, and then assassinated him, negating the need for the dungeon I was gonna put in between, and I rolled with it.
>>
>>68319696
Should i wait after i get to 20 Strength at level 8 for GWM at lvl 12 then?
>>
Would a tiefling fiend warlock/divine soul sorcerer be fine?
>>
>>68319363
Moon Druid among others. Turning into any animal grants such IMMENSE swiss-knife utility I find it frankly ridiculous, even if the DM is sane of mind and enforces the optional "you must have seen the animal" clause and sticks to XGE's restrictive animal lists.
Because even if you're a boring-ass temperate forest druid, you're still the perfect urban spy (spider, fly), the perfect scout on land, water, air or underground (rat, fish, bird, badger), a great assassin (just change back and murder the guy), great at fleeing and chasing while also carrying party members (horse) on land... On top of that, you're also a combat beast (bear etc.) which, god forbids, transforms back at full health after it's "killed". And you'll keep unlocking cooler forms, especially at lower levels where giant beasts are fairly common.

Which, alright, all of this would be fine if on top of that you didn't also get FULL CASTING WITH ALL SPELLS KNOWN, as a second giant multi-tool, arguably the biggest the game offers.

Balance notwithstanding, it's also a chore to compile, list and print out and hand the Moon Druid player the relevant statblocks, guide the player through it, and hope they can handle it. As if keeping track of your spells wasn't enough for most players...

Also bards too, like >>68319384 says. They tend to attract the wannabe-rockstar, wannabe-leader, and/or wannabe-Casanova types. The result is jarring PCs at best, clear self-inserts at worst. I think it's a problem with the way the class is presented, frankly, it's not sufficiently rooted in familiar, traditional fantasy. As a result, players fall back on modern/present-day tropes (sexy music guy), and that may be what results in jarring character concepts and unabashed self-inserts.
>>
Strange question, there a table out there of Mesopotamian gods (i.e. similar to what they did in the back of the PHB with hellenic gods and shit)?
>>
>join new group
>three of the other player characters are evil
>playing a neutral good character
how the heck am I supposed to do this? I've been playing it off as a result of my character having a low wisdom, but their characters are just doing shit my character would never approve of in plain sight, like robbing a bar or poisoning people or killing innocents, etc. How do I reconcile my character's alignment with theirs? I'm finding it hard to come up with a reason why my character would continue traveling with a bunch of chaotic evil dickbags
>>
>>68319363
>Class
Bard. No questions asked, bard players are always the worst. It's either wannabe thespians or attention whores to such a high degree they get mad if anyone else tries to do anything social (because they have the biggest number? I've never seen a martial being opposed to someone helping him push a boulder). The worst cases insist on bringing a goddamn instrument or coming up with witty shit every time they use vicious mockery but end up using the same 6 quips every time
>Subclass
Champion. It's so BORING
>Multiclass.
Sorlock/hexadin. I hate these logic loops people go through to justify nonsense multiclassing, just play in a dungeon crawl.
>>
>>68319919
why did you join an evil campaign as a good character?
>>
>>68318196
I attempt a grapple.
>>
>>68319939
I didn't know it was an evil campaign until I got there, I just assumed that it was going to be a normal campaign. It's just some friends who invited me to play with them, and I was too shy to ask them a lot of questions about their game beforehand. Now I could reroll another character who is evil, but honestly I don't want to play an evil character. It's a shame, since they're the only group in my area
>>
>>68319959
Sounds like you're gonna have to choose. Do you want to play in an evil campaign as an evil character or do you want to not play at all?
>>
>>68319524
Hmmm, shame. In my opinion, if the most obvious answer is digging around the obstacle, then you need to rethink the obstacle.

If it's some kind of electrical device, could you shock it with a lightning cantrip or spell so it malfunctions?
Are all the golems hostile or could you potentially ride a rock golem to safety?
What about the "throw dirt, rock and wood on it and walk on that/keep going until it's disabled" answer?

>>68319541
>Why do so many players here think casters are overpowered?
1) It's not about level 5, it's about levels 7-20. Yes, many games stop before level 10, but a non negligible amount continues to the high levels, and that's where the gap widens.
2) ...because it's not about average skill, it's about the skill ceiling. The smartest, most fiendishly clever and resourceful player will be scary as a Fighter, scarier as a Paladin, and scariest as a Cleric. The caster skill ceiling grows higher as the levels go up and new, crazier tools become available.
3) Your GM seems to be smart and playing things by the book, but what little data we have shows he's among the 5%. 95% of GMs allow absurdly fast resource recovery, whereas the slow dwindling of resources during a long adventure is the only thing that ensures casters will step back and leave the spotlight to the indefatigable non-casters.
>>
>>68320033
>If it's some kind of electrical device, could you shock it with a lightning cantrip or spell so it malfunctions?
I'd allow it. A lightning cantrip makes the coil flicker for a few seconds. Proportionally bigger spells shut it down for way longer.

>Are all the golems hostile or could you potentially ride a rock golem to safety?
They're docile and happy to ignore anyone who isn't vandalizing the dungeon. Could work

>What about the "throw dirt, rock and wood on it and walk on that/keep going until it's disabled" answer?
I imagine the coil wraps around the entire hall? And surely the armor you're wearing would go incandescent anyway
>>
>>68319828
To be fair though, glamour Bard is all about being the sexy music guy.
>>
File: alens.jpg (15 KB, 389x292)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>68319847
>Mesopotamian gods
>>
What even uses a D12?
I've seen D4 dice get used before a D12.
>>
>>68320333
Ever played a great weapon fighter or barbarian?
>>
>>68320372
Ah shit I've shown my hand and revealed I only play magic users.

But honestly I've just started so was fucking around the 5etools trying to find spells or character hitpoints that related to the die and wasn't finding anything.
So good to know for future campaigns.
>>
>>68320487
>>68320487
>>68320487
>>
>>68319590
Being though in combat stops being an asset once the other guy learns how to bypass combat entirely.

>>68319689
Also this. In the beginning, high level play was about waging war with your armies. The Fighter was expected to gather a great group of men while the Magic-User tossed fireballs and provided some battlefield-scale help. Even back then, the Fighter had a near-monopoly on magic weapons, which he needed to keep up.

As wargame-scale games were abandoned in favor of superhero action, as settings grew more and more magical, all the way to Eberron codifying its banalization, the power cap increased. And there comes a point where even the biggest army of mundane humans stops being a threat, where even a guy who can decapitate five men per second can't contribute much, even with a magic sword. He needs to be magic too, the way the Hulk is magic, the way Hercules is magic.

>>68320097
Whether unarmored/lightly-armored characters can pass through unmolested makes a big difference. "How do we get past this?" vs "How do we get the Paladin past this without making him suck for a while?" don't have the same feel.
>>
/5eg/, I need your help. Through a series of events partially outside of my control, it seems like my campaign is careening headfirst into a wrestling tournament arc. Problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to run wrestling in 5e. Are there any official rules on this? Perhaps some helpful homebrew? Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>68319287
Liquor stores usually have cardboard boxes for free.
>>
>>68319590
If you think caster supremacy is due to damage no wonder you think they're not as powerful as people say.
You don't need to do.much damage if you can just portal enemies to the plane of fire.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.