[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bgg phd.jpg (590 KB, 1393x1753)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
Previous Thing: >>68131561
Useful Thing: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8
Question Thing:

How much are you on /bgg/?

What's the best advice you've seen here?

What's the best advice you give here?

Are you more lurker or poster?
>>
First for ded hobby
>>
>>68194635
>How much are you on /bgg/?
I check it when I see it has new replies, so probably 4-5 times a day.
>What's the best advice you've seen here?
51st State: Master Set. God forbid there's an enjoyable, interactive engine builder that finally exists.
>What's the best advice you give here?
I 'unno anymore. My taste in games has changed a lot over the six months and the more I play any given game, the more I hate most designs. Safe, uninteractive euro? Boring shlock that's mostly determined by player order as everyone just optimizes their points to win. RNG-heavy multiplayer game? As if player order wasn't bad enough, now you've got to worry about dice and cards coming out at bad times too. Games that avoid both of these are so few and far between, unless it's a 2P game, which is my favorite player count (or 4 in a 2v2 game).
>Are you more lurker or poster?
Lurker with the occasional "I'm real s-m-r-t" posts that look real fuckin' stupid in retrospect. Probably like this one.
>>
>>68194635
>how much are you on /bgg/?

Most of the time, in the sense that when a new /bgg/ starts, it gets a tab and I check it every now and again for new posts. I work from home most of the year, so I'm therefore on for a lot of the time.

>Best advice you've seen here
Any time someone thoroughly explains their feelings about a given game and the mechanics that make them feel that way.

>best advice I've given
Don't really know, I just try and help when I can.

>more lurker or poster?
I'd say I lean lurker. Plenty of days I don't see anyone discuss anything I'm interested/knowledgeable in, so I don't say anything.
>>
File: pic3402936.jpg (147 KB, 1032x630)
147 KB
147 KB JPG
i have my eye on pic related. have never played dominion but it looks pretty neat.
is it actually good?
>>
>>68194635
Yes.
Shower often, hide your power level, go to meetups, try to connect with others without being super creepy and voilá, you'll have found yourself a nice gaming group.
Don't come here looking for a hivemind, give yourself the chance to make up your own goddamn mind about stuff you like or not. Memes are OK.
Yes.
>>
>>68195441
Dominion is both shitty and expensive. You need at least 4-5 expansions to make it slightly better than total garbage, and sleeving is mandatory, so, invest in ~1500 sleeves.
>>
>>68195441
No, no it most definitely is not.
>>
Constantly, the Void between generals is torture
Pick up space hulk death angel before it goes out of print. I hate 40k so I was hesitant but I ended up loving it
Give solo gaming a shot
About 4 posts per general
>>
>>68195441
I wouldn't get that if it were free.
>>
File: 66f.jpg.cf.jpg (14 KB, 400x448)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
FFG virgin
>low IQ, low testosterone, obese
>plays repetitive, simplistic ameritrash
>pays thousands of dollars for tiny amounts of content, repurposed artwork, and endless expansions that add nothing of value
>his favourite themes are childish nerdy things like lovecraft or star wars
>his games are designed by LGBT activists and women
>played Twilight Imperium once, considers himself a wargamer ever since

GMT Chad
>highly educated and fit
>plays top of the line wargames, considers his COIN collection to be a casual filler to unwind
>buys his games cheaply with P500 program, plays everything on VASSAL anyway
>plays games with historical, political, and scientific themes, convinced that even gaming should be educational
>never held a miniature in his hands, clips his counters as meditation practice
>his games are designed by war vets, historians, and scientists
>'Twilight what? The only Twilight we play in this house is Struggle'
>>
Wtf is coin?
>>
>>68195852
COunter INsurgence.
>>
>>68194635
I have the thread pinned on my catalogue page for /tg/ so I can find it every time.

"Don't buy Wingspan" followed by "Ignore that guy" I bought it and enjoyed it and have leant it to my co-worker who runs a boardgame night in the library I work at and now another co-worker wants to see it because she's a huge bird watcher and can't wait for an Australian edition to come out(the Cassowary "Select a card from the deck, if it is a bird, tuck under this card. Then hide.").

Have fun. Watch YouTube videos of people playing the game you want to buy and see if it looks like your cup of tea.

I post a bit. Mostly about the games I own if they come up or asking about games that look promising but I've not had a chance to play yet.
>>
Should I get Tiny Towns?
>>
>>68195585
>>68195684
>>68195702
thanks guys <3
>>
File: domcards.jpg (193 KB, 1500x915)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
>>68195441
Core Set and Intrigue are among the shittiest sets.

Get the Basic Card set (Just money and VP cards, pic related) and Hinterlands. Then, get Empires and/or Seaside.
That's a way more interesting starting point into Dominion.
>>
File: 1543172024795.jpg (18 KB, 320x240)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>68194635
Every day. Never liked boardgamegeeks UI much. /bgg has made shooting the shit about boardgames a breeze these past 5 years.

Play what you enjoy. Someone talking shit about Talisman, Cosmic Encounter, the new hotness (that's actually a mild turd) doesnt prevent your group from having a blast being dicks to each other or enjoying a light-hearted system.
But really its been the games anons have recommended/discussed here. Most of my purchases in 2018-2019 were games you folks suggested.

The buying order/guide for Ashes? Spent an afternoon in paint on that one. Also telling that one anon to get El Grande over Brass.

Poster. Some anons probably recognize my table and chairs by this point.
>>
>>68195720
I wish volko Ruhnke was my dad
>>
>>68197750
>Core Set and Intrigue are among the shittiest sets.
I dunno, they used to be, but the revised versions patched a lot of issues. Most of the really dull cards are gone entirely, and even just core by itself isn't Big Money + Smithy default mode anymore
>>
>>68198187
they still don't hold a candle to any of the more interesting x-packs
If you exclusively want to play with entry level people, they're fine, but for anyone who has ever dipped their toes in boardgames, there are much better sets
>>
>>68198010
What does El Grande have in common with Brass?
Also I saw some recommending Rattus, isn't it RNGfest? Rats tokens' effects are so different some may barely touch the board while others could potentially wipe your cubes if you're unlucky.
>>
>>68198231
>What does El Grande have in common with Brass?
Anon was trying to choose between the two. I had played both, gave my two cents knowing what he was looking for in a game. Turns out El Grande was a huge hit and he was happy about his choice and my advice.
>>
めっちゃ面白いyoutubeチャンネル見つけた。これは伸びそう
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCE6aMGctVUQknPDJM6pFSTQ?view_as=subscriber
>>
>>68198169
He'd just be even more disappointed in you, if that's possible.
>>
>>68198231
>Also I saw some recommending Rattus,
Yeah, that was me.
>isn't it RNGfest?
No, there's little luck in the game because you know the rats and their distribution in advance. They're gonna trigger sooner or later in any case, if you don't plan in advance you can't avoid them.
>>
>>68198525
What I meant is that sometimes their effect is so bland it can highly alter the match.
>>
>>68198334
Fuck Off. Holy shit spammers make trolls look like rocket scientists by comparison.
>>
>>68195441
Dont let anyone fool you into that dry piece of shit game.
It was shit when it arrived and it is still shit just like Pandemic, Betrayal, Shadows over Camelot, Talisman, Catan etc...
>>
>>68195720
This is what socialy dysfunctional autists tell themselves when FFG chads grab their wives.
>>
File: 1540491225442.gif (1.03 MB, 240x160)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB GIF
>>68199654
Gigachads own every FFG expansions AND every GMT game known to man.
They rotate 18XX games with their harem.
>>
>>68198375
i dont think my dad is disappointed so much as indifferent to his children.
>>
Are there any coin games (or other solo Wargames) that aren't historicals?
Fantasy or sci-fi would be best but I'll take modern as well
>>
>>68198610
Not in my experience. Like I said, if you don't get hurt now, it will catch up to you eventually anyways. Most of the game is preparing for the final round.
>>
>>68200439
COIN system itself is pretty generic (hence the proliferation of COIN games with effectively the same mechanics, yet spanning 1500 years of human history) so you can disregard the historical theme and just play them as euros. Next War series deals with theoretical near-future warfare. For sci-fi wargame there is Space Empires 4X, but it's not asymmetrical and plays quite shitty solo. Root is probably what you look for anyway as a kind of COIN Fantasy
>>
>>68200439
I might suggest, if solo is your main goal, taking a look at Nemo's War and / or Dawn of the Zeds by Victory Point Games
>>
Someone please make Fluxx: Brexit. These two would go together extremely well.
>>
File: a distant plain.jpg (605 KB, 800x600)
605 KB
605 KB JPG
>>68200439
A Distant Plain covers the modern Afghan insurgency. It's quite good solo too if you're willing to spend some time figuring out the flowcharts. Not exactly easy to get people to play though, the theme doesn't exactly inspire the same excitement as WW2 or Vietnam tend to
>>
File: El Alamein.jpg (36 KB, 600x600)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>playing Dominion
>when you could be playing WWII anime Dominion instead
>>
>>68199781
>own every FFG expansions AND every GMT game
Is such a thing even possible!?
>>
>>68202130
El Alamein is 2lewd.
Tanto Cuore is just fine.
>>
>>68202130
I don't need anime tiddies in my board games. I have anime tiddies on my computer for my private use. I don't want to whip them out in front of all my friends at board game night.
>>
>>68194635
>/bgg/ visitations
This has been the first time I've browsed /bgg/ in several months. IRL got in the way too much work increasingly going to shit then being made redundant at the end of June, had to do a new PC build (Ryzen 3400G) due to my old mobo killing both my new and old GPU, been spending the last two months of NEET life migrating from Windows 7 to Linux (and experimenting a lot with WMs and Proton) on my main desktop and working on a hobby project, have a very promising job interview today for a 3-6 month deployment contract starting next week so I'm pretty optimistic for now that I've barely been playing board games at any consistent frequency, yet I've played Titan more times this year with one of my friends than all other years since I started doing serious board gaming combined and I've also got some good 18XX action this year, so I'm fairly content on that angle
>best advice seen
The praise for Valley of the Kings, Dominant Species, Pax series, Cutthroat Caverns, Imperial and Quartermaster General have lead me to some excellent purchases, if any of the anons from a few years back are still around you all have legit tastes
>best advice given
I hope my autistic shilling back in the day for Infamous Traffic, Chicago Express, Cave Evil: Warcults, Imperial and Tammany Hall have made some anons make worthwhile purchasing decisions
>Lurker or poster
Should be looking to get back into the swing of posting more soon. What's been the general reception of Pax Pamir second edition from anons, especially compared to first edition? I've only gone as far as opening my box and inspecting contents, (man that cloth mat is lovely) but I didn't get metal coins since I already own poker chips
>>68199781
>tfw fall into the Gigachad category as I own stuff from all three
feels good man
>>
>>68194635
>feels good meeple
Alright you asshole, you made me chuckle.
>>
>>68202214
Also forgot the ask the mandatory question - what good shit has been released this year? Haven't been following news at all
>>
Getting into heavier euros now. What is the best Vital Lacerda?
>>
Cute that the new VotK credits people's BGG usernames for coming up with some variants.
>>
Do you ever buy 3rd party upgrade kits, like fancier meeples and stuff? Which companies would you reccomend to buy from?

Im considering pimping out my copy of Lords of Waterdeep.
>>
>>68202130
I love Barbarossa and El Alamein but I can't play them in public and refuse to buy the photo versions that appeared after I bought the shameful anime editions.

Really fun deckbuilders.
>>
>>68202873
MeepleSource stock some nice alternative chits. Quite fond of them.
>>
>>68202593
Lisboa
>>
>>68202214
>>68202214
>>best advice given
>I hope my autistic shilling back in the day for Infamous Traffic, Chicago Express, Cave Evil: Warcults, Imperial and Tammany Hall have made some anons make worthwhile purchasing decisions

It was YOU!
My friend bought an infamous traffic and Tammany Hall, and I got imperial, and we've been having a blast ever since

>Lurker or poster
>Should be looking to get back into the swing of posting more soon. What's been the general reception of Pax Pamir second edition from anons, especially compared to first edition? I've only gone as far as opening my box and inspecting contents, (man that cloth mat is lovely) but I didn't get metal coins since I already own poker chips
Never played first, my playgroup has really enjoyed pamir 2nd. Working our way up to ten plays since my friend bought it and I started teaching it in August. We've seen various strategies come out on top. Players in last place at 0 points claw back to win in the last scoring check. And throughout, paranoid tension abound over spies moving and dominance cards flopping onto the market. It's been rad.

>>68199781
>tfw fall into the Gigachad category as I own stuff from all three
>feels good man
You own a harem? Absolutely Haram, anon
>>
Has anyone tried out D100 dungeon?
How does it compare to 4 against darkness?
>>
>>68202873
Rarely to never. I can appreciate a pimped out game. The closest I've come is Imperial Assault's organized play prizes which I've won from tournaments. And I'm trying to finish up painting and getting good at that. It's nice to bring minis to life.

Otherwise I'm such a jew I'd rather spend sheckles on a new game instead of just enhancing the experience. I rarely play a game THAT much.
>>
>>68204873
What's your stance on card sleeves?
Are you too Jewish to buy them, or too Jewish to buy the same game twice and so are forced to Jew it up with penny sleeves?
>>
File: 1566608785084.jpg (53 KB, 720x960)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
What kind of meaningful interaction does Le Havre have? I'm someone who considers Castles of Burgundy to be quite interactive because of extremely potent boat mechanic as well as taking tiles from the communal board before the other person can do it. I'm also the kind of person who does not consider a game like Marco Polo to have any meaningful interaction.

How solitaire is Le Havre? niggers
>>
File: Wingchads.png (140 KB, 1261x559)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>68196255
>now another co-worker wants to see it because she's a huge bird watcher
WINGCHADS
>>
>>68205945
>"With a boat, you can go any turn you want" he said to himself, out loud
>>
>>68205166
Not anon but I'm pretty resistant to sleeves.
>extra cost on top of games, can potentially even double the cost of a game
>spend hours just sleeving all your cards
>feel slipper and don't feel as nice to play with
>don't really notice much card wear even on my most played games
>>
>>68206346
Nice one faggot
>>
Why are so many reviews on BGG just random notes that would only be useful to the reviewer? Why are there so many reviews that are just "Sleeved"
>>
>>68205952
I know you did your best, but take some tips from the Lego generals cast of faggotry
>>
>>68206495
> Rated 7: 7
> Rated 2: fun
> Rated 10: *incoherent finnish*
> Rated 1: all expansions
>>
>>68206837
>Rated 6: 2.28
Seriously what the fuck, are these bots
>>
>>68206865
I don't have a bgg account so I assume all those weird reviews are people adding a game to their collection and figuring they can give a rating and some keyword for themselves for ease of reference. Like a person can browse their bgg collection and at a glance see which games remain unsleeved, or which they had fun with when they played it 2 years ago. However if it doesn't work that way, I've got nothing.
>>
is /bgg/ dying? There seems to be some gap time between threads, when in the past we would get a new thread before the other one died.
>>
>>68195852
Really bad series of games.
So very wrong about games hates them, and I trust them.
>>
File: file.png (47 KB, 191x264)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
>>68199625
>>
Daily. There's the occasional autists having some pointless argument but this place is still comfier than BGG.
Hm, can't say if it's best or not yet given the print runs, but these threads have gotten me pretty interested in Sierra Madre games. Got Greenland not long ago (not been able to play it yet though!) and looking to pick up Pax Porfiriana and maybe Pax Transhumanity later this year.
I'd like to believe some of the few GMT games recommendations I've given have been of some use. It's mostly been Dominant Species, Triumph & Tragedy, Churchill, sometimes COIN games.
More towards being a lurker I guess, me and the folks in my group don't often buy all the newest/hottest games so I just don't have much to say.

>>68202214
>What's been the general reception of Pax Pamir second edition from anons, especially compared to first edition?
I never played first edition. Got to play the second edition for the first time tonight, was a 5-player game. It was pretty chaotic and a fair amount of paranoia over others' spies. Given that it was our first game let's just our play was probably rather sub-optimal hah! That said, we enjoyed it quite a bit and we did manage to get in some pretty well-timed betrayals and battles that led to a good bit of schadenfreude around the table.
>>
>>68202873
3D printed resource meeples for LoW is the best game pimp Ive ever seen.
>>
>>68207419
got any games pee500'd?
>>
>>68207248
I don't know about you, Anon, but I haven't gone through the effort of saving previous OP images, and I certainly don't have the desire to MAKE new ones...Alright, I have SOME desire, but not enough to motivate me, yet.

It happens. If the anons with the images are around when the thread is dying, they make a new one. If not, we wait a bit.
>>
>>68200439
a scifi 4x using the triumph and tragedy system is in the works.
>>
File: 1567265277442.png (393 KB, 506x377)
393 KB
393 KB PNG
>>68207248
The past summer we've had threads regularly reach 100+ anons posting. It used to be 50-75 in fall 2018-winter 2019.
I'd say it's growing.
>>
>>68208547
Boardgame as a whole is a growing market.
>>
>>68202593
Yeah Lisboa is absolutely fantastic and what I think is his most well designed game. Although I probably find myself playing The Gallerist more as its a bit easier to get to the table and introduce to people.
After those two I'd put Vinhos Deluxe followed by Escape Plan.
Haven't played Kanban or CO2.
>>
>>68203950
I’ve only played d100 and I didn’t play it enough to get a flow of the charts, so it was a little clunky. The best part is drawing out your dungeon so it helps to have some talent or at least creative attitude, as my attempts to add in a sketch of a trap or loot chest always seemed a bit disappointing
>>
File: millenial blades.png (391 KB, 728x546)
391 KB
391 KB PNG
>>68208193
>>68207248
broken hand with a side of depression. been letting motivational frame anon handle it
>>
Anybody got a chance to play Gentes? My local store just got it.
>>
>>68205166
>too Jewish to buy them
No, I usually decent quality ones in bulk on sale, split with friends and such. Imperial Assault is sleeved since it gets lots of play.

>too Jewish to buy the same game twice
Sounds retarded, I haven't done it yet, but will probably do so with heavily used card games like Tichu. I would like sleeve it, but then the decks won't fit in the tiny box, and I like shuffling good playing cards without sleeves. That's not to say I'm been Hebrew enough to homebrew card games and shit, but this favorite game is cheap enough.

>Jew it up with penny sleeves
That's just heresy. Anyone who uses these learn early enough they fall apart anyway. You get what you pay for.
>>
>>68209906
Also, I don't sleeve every damn game. Maybe if I like the game and the cards get used heavily. Otherwise, I don't play with animals or play the games that much.

Sleeving dice, however is a must of course.
>>
>>68205166
I sleeve rare/oop shit and games that require stupid amounts of shuffling and reshuffling, deckbuilders being the worst offenders.
>>
>forgot to sleeve my metal dice and now they’re all scratched up.
It’s too late for me, I just have live with playing used good.
>>
How do you guys sell your unwanted board games? I'm not talking crap like hasbro games or whatever version of twighlight trivia you find in thrift stores. Seems like the best way to go about it is put listings up everywhere, drop the price every week or so, and once it hits ~10 usd or so and it's not even worth the time to meet up with someone, drop it off at a crisis or youth center.
>>
>>68210673
put them up on BGG or for math trade

the people who craigslist around here get all the good/cheap games sniped (possibly for resale) and wind up sitting on a fat stack of cardboard garbage.
>>
>>68210846
Is BGG even that useful for anything besides purchasing? I've hit up people who had things I've wanted, and if most never respond, and when they do it's usually like 8-12 months later.
>>
>>68202873
I always try to get sleeves, metal coins and an insert.

If the game has minis, I paint them and then get upgraded resources.
>>
>>68207388
So Very Wrong About Games are just two retards trying to sound smart while trolling.
I really hope they dont actually mean what they say. If they do, I feel pity for them.
>>
>>68210907
Math trade not trade trade
>>
>>68210673
Math trades or craigslist.
Trying to ship larger board games costs too much in shipping to be worth selling online, plus you'd be lucky to sell a game for half MSRP if it's used.
>>
>>68205945
Le Havre is a very interactive and mean game. Much more interactive than CoB.
>>
>>68196379
Update: I bought it and enjoyed it.
>>
Is there a better time than having friends over on a slow, rainy day, playing boardgames and drinking?

I think not.

>>68194635
Most of the time it's open on my phone and PC. Depending on how busy I am, I check from 4 times a day to all 15 minutes or so

What's the best advice you've seen here?
Pretty much all games I've got from /bgg/ recommendations have been great.

What's the best advice you give here?
Can't really answer that

Are you more lurker or poster?
I post in pretty much all threads at least once.
>>
File: 1521586698791.jpg (2.1 MB, 3264x2448)
2.1 MB
2.1 MB JPG
>>68214677
of those recommendations, what do you recommend? tryna expand my collection with some hittas
>>
Want to play Captain Sonar but we only ever play with 5 or 7 people (6+7 are a couple that shows up together every couple of weeks, usually it's 5 of us)
What do?

>>68214677

Good sex

>>68194635

Most workdays I check in at least once or twice, depending on how many people are around
>>
>>68210846
Guide on math trades?
>>
I own every game on the bgg top 100.

AMA
>>
>>68215658
Are you retarded?
>>
>>68215678
No, why?
>>
>>68215811
>>68215678
>>68215658
I was wrong actually, I don't own Crokinole
>>
File: 1566371702241.jpg (143 KB, 850x838)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
What's the best game that's both easy to pick up, has depth, and hits the table often? Asking for a friend
>>
>>68216297
Mare Nostrum.
>>
>>68216297
Mare Nostrum
51st State Master Edition
Stronghold (2 player)
Heroes of Normandie (WWII Ameritrash style game)
7 Wonders (Euro / Tableau builder with drafting)
>>
>>68210907
Direct trades are very hit or miss, I just got three to successfully go, but that was out of fifty or so offers I made
>>
File: Mother of God.jpg (29 KB, 640x352)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>68216297
El Grande. There's a reason why it's still recommended nearly 25 years after release.

It's quick, it's fun, it has depth, the big box that's "just" 50 bucks comes with a million expansions. It's great.

>>68216548
Not to be contrarian, but I don't really think 7W has much depth to it. Though I haven't played it with expansions.

>>68215658
>Both TTA
>Both TI
>Both WotR
>Diverse iterations of Pandemic
>A bunch of overpriced and overproduced KS games

Are you mad? Though the real question is "How many of them have you actually played?" followed by "How many of them have you played more than once?"
>>
>>68216297
Cthulhu Wars
51st State Master Set
Netrunner
Res Arcana
Summonet Wars
Sorcerer
Mythic Battles: Pantheon
Architects of the West Kingdom
>>
>>68216297
Concordia Venus aswell
>>
>>68217203
>Concordia Venus
As someone who likes Concordia, I've only seen the SUSD let's play and it seemed worse than the original.

That said, literally every SUSD lets play was fucking bad and I cannot fathom how people who do this as a job and have time to prepare miss and misunderstand so many rules.

I guess the joke is on me for actually watching it.
>>
>>68217191
Is there a way to find cthulhu wars at a decent price?
Any reprint incoming or whatever?
>>
>>68216799
Is El Grande 5 players at most, or 6 with an expansion?
>>
>>68202593
>>68203225

Its the Gallerist.
>>
>>68218642
Gallerist is just terrible, it's clearly Kanban.
>>
Can someone hit me with the elevator pitch for 51st state?
>>
>>68215658
Would you kindly fuck off?
>>
>>68219024
This is how I've sold it a few times on friends / opened teaching games with this line:

"Welcome to the apocalypse. Time to make your base a little less craptastic than everyone else's; you'll be seeking out various locations to either build yourself, strike deals with, or burn to the ground and reap the rewards, and you can take the torch to other players as well."

Or if they've played engine builders before - "Post-apocalypstic engine builder that doesn't overstay its welcome and everyone actually pays attention to what everyone else does."
>>
>>68219024
Ever played Imperial Settlers? Less fun version of that
>>
wingspan is a below average game
>>
>>68217330
is SUSD the one with garbage jokes and play with that tranny
>>
>>68220063
It's the one where they all try and outcuck each other.
>>
>>68214758
not him but every new math trade thread on BGG will have a list of guides and instructions
>>
What kickstarters are you guys looking at?

I've backed shovel knight
I've got my eye on the veil

Ones I've backed but funding is closed for
Division:throne room
Ultra tiny epic galaxy
Outpost 18
The north
Tiny epic tactics
>>
It's been more than a decade since Battlestar Galactica board game came out. Did it stand the test of time? Looking for a good machination game.
>>
>>68222054
Honestly, the fantasy coins one that's doing pretty poorly. I love the look of the coins but I don't actually own any games with meaningful currencies, so I have a solution in search of a problem.

As far as actual games go, nothing looks interesting enough to back right now. My collection is already pretty solid at covering my favorite bases and incoming games will help me explore it a bit further, or existing games I'm going to take a dip in on TTS.
>>
>>68222143
Name?
>>
>>68222600
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fantasycoinhq/fantasy-gaming-coins-project-alpha/description
>>
File: 1485796062687.png (79 KB, 250x176)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>>68220063
SUSD is doing the same shitty performance on every review.

What's up with youtube personalities with being super annoying and irritating?

I really like Joel Eddy, Vasel, Zee, King of Average, Board Game Replay.

Ready Steady play, SUSD, Pair of Dice Paradice +++ and dont get me starting on Bits of Board, holy shit!

Bits of Board has even an more annoying voice than Pair of Dice Paradise, Becca Scott and NPI which I thought was impossible.

Man vs Meeple and No Pun Included always feel like they are just reading a shitty script with 0 emotions.
>>
>>68222054
Eyeing District 9, Weta Workshop's newest thing. Ameritrash plastic pusher a la CMoN.
They made Giant Killer Robo too, which seemed like fun.

So this one is a post-apocalyptic, card-driven, asymmetric run-and-loot with some area control and lots of combat vs player and vs game.
I liked the theme and the minis, but I'll have to read the rulebook before I decide.
>>
>>68217468
Tops at 5, even with expansions. Don't think it'd be bad with 6.
>>
>>68223539
I'm not going to get in on this one, but mechanically it's probably going to be better than GKR. It's at least got better names attached to the development team than the goons at Cryptozoic.
>>
Are cthulhu wars and chaos in the old world similar?
>>
>>68223787
Mostly, though Cthulhu Wars is using achievements to unlock spellbocks to break game rules, CitOW use action cards.

I like CW better because it playes at 3-5 whete CitOW only plays at 4 if you dont have the beyond stupid expensive expansion.
CW is allive and well with a ton of cool factions and maps.
CW is a lot better to teach and the abilities themselves are super fun to use.
>>
>>68222683
Normalfags eat that shit up. Besides, no one (but me and ~500 other people) will watch calandale talk meaningfully about the game for hours on end. They need zoom-bang-preach bugmen skits.

Try Heavy Cardboard, Grey Elephant gaming, JonGetsGames, marcowargamer... thats what I watch. Oh and that guy that did Mage Knight solo.
>>
>>68223944
CW is also damn expensive, not really sure if it's worth almost 200 euro.
>>
>>68224141
no game is worth more than fifty bucks
>>
>>68224240
Except wingspan - that one is not worth 45 either.
>>
>>68224240
I'm about $250 all into Heroes of the Grid and I don't regret it. I get lots of excellent miniatures and plenty of variety for the game to keep it interesting.
>>
>>68225338
fuck off shill
>>
File: pic2949044.jpg (73 KB, 900x506)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
I'm having a nice game night with my neighbor. How are you spending your friday evening guys?
>>
>>68220048
>Less fun
you mixed up your < > again billy
>>
>>68222099
>says here I'm a cylon, wtf does that mean again?
>>
>>68222143
The price points are kind of bogus and honestly I wouldn't know what to do with them except as a prop for D&D, once, in a leather bag, which a bag of washers would do just as well.

metal coins are a nice upgrade as part of a game, in the game, and they stay there. None of my games need those coins.
>>
File: birbs.png (2.13 MB, 1360x1350)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
>>68224258
>>
>>68210673

Flea markets for me. Sure you have to drop the markup price by at least 75% to move anything but it's the fastest way to clear out wasted closet/shelf space.
>>
>>68225950
Does her husband know you're posting her pic on the internet for guys to jack off to?
>>
>>68227134
He died, she still has the ring. Gaming helps her cope.
>>
>>68227090
As the guy you posted to, those are my feelings and issues as well. I'm trying to find games I actually like with currencies but coming up dry. I'm real damn picky 'bout what I get and nothing seems to actually appeal to me that has a ton of currency-counting and whatnot, even victory-point wise (most games seem to use board-wrapping trackers now).
>>
File: Capture.png (476 KB, 461x425)
476 KB
476 KB PNG
>every nu-mutt game with a weight of ~2.0 has to have a nigger on the cover
>>
Guys, what's the best Lacerda 2p game I can get?
>>
>>68227300
Get over it, Adolf, the world is 4/5 nonwhite.
>>
>>68227467
>the world is 4/5 nonwhite.
Odds are Adolf has some 'non-white' DNA in his background too. It's hilarious when they get the results of a DNA test and have to face reality.
>>
File: pic1870956.jpg (191 KB, 900x583)
191 KB
191 KB JPG
Dios Mio
>>
>>68227588
>tfw 3% Jewish
>>
>>68227751
I mean it's no spirit island but
>>
>>68227310
Blood Rage
>>
>>68227242

Jesus!
>>
>>68228064
It's like winning the lottery
>>
>>68225950
Had my wife's cousins once removed over. It's weird having babysat them when they were kids and now I'm teaching them Cole Wherle games to set them up for Eklund games and more down the road.
We played Pax Pamir, which they already really enjoy, and then they learned root. Was a fun time had by all. Being just three I didn't bust out Q.E., which arrived this past week. But I pitched it to them for next week and their eyes lit up at the potential for hijinks and runaway hyperinflation
>>
>>68227300

But the game itself is fun.
>>
>>68227310
Kanban, since the game already has inbuilt NPC player that helps to fill in. Wait for updated deluxe edition in 2020
>>
I'm getting a little obsessed with Labyrinth: War on Terror right now guys.

What are people's opinions of it?
>>
>>68227310
Lisboa is Lacerda's best 1-3 player. Can be crowded at 4.
>>
>>68223944
Is it worth getting CW if I already own CitOW?
>>
>>68229829
Depends on your group and how much you want to invest.
CitOW always require 4 dedicated players with equal experience to shine.
CW can be played at 3-5 (can be played at 2 and even 6+ aswell, but not recommended) and it can be played together with people who aint super dedicated because you'll have all six spellbooks in front of you the entire game while also providing guidance on how to achieve them which also kinda teaches your faction.

I like em both, but CW is a ton easier to get to the table while giving me the same feel while also having mostly the same ruleset.
>>
Stonemaier Games are so fucking sterile
They just throw mechanics at you and ask "DOES THIS FEEL LIKE A GAME YET? DOES IT FEEL LIKE YOURE HAVING FUN YET? WHAT ABOUT NOW?"

Complete shit
>>
>>68222683
God forbid someone try to review a game whilst also being entertaining at the same time. It's fine if you don't like it but there's no need to shit on it so violently just because it's not to your taste.
>>
File: pic750583.jpg (96 KB, 428x600)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
looks like good mechanics but very lacking in theme, and therefor will not hit the table often.
anyone have experience with this?
>>
File: 1451478746791.gif (1.94 MB, 235x180)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
>>68230606
>Entertaining
I think you're mixing it with being super tryhard AND annoying.
None of those people are funny in the least sense of the word.

>>68224056
I totally forgot Heavy Cardboard and JonGetsGames. Those two are great.
Not so sure about MarcoWargamer, he often feel so ambiguous. He feels so cold and I cant really see if he means it or not very often.

I just like those down-to-earth, calm-and-collected, thoughtful and thourough reviewers who I can actually see means what they are saying.
>>
>>68230633
It was fine, but as you said the theme is almost imperceptible.
Another issue I had is that most cards' symbols are far from being clear, making the first games a bit clunky.
>>
>>68230633
I contemplated buying it once, watched some extensive mechanics / playthrough videos; I'd say it's a very good game. Solid expansion too. I don't see how it's lacking in theme, it's one of the most thematic games out there: you build a city, you influence its politicking, you directly mess with other player's resources... and it's very pretty.
>>
File: 1462671950063.png (544 KB, 717x678)
544 KB
544 KB PNG
Youtube Reviewers: Shit or not shit.

>Shit
SUSD
No Pun Included
Bits of Board
Sam Healy
Pair of Dice Paradise
So Very Wrong About Games
Geek & Sundry + Becca Scott
Discriminating Gamer
Rahdo (he loves everything that doesnt include take-that).
The McGuire Review
Rob Oren
Board to Death
Board Game Coffee
Board Game Ramblings
The Broken Meeple
>Meh
MarcoWargamer
Ready Steady Play
One Stop CoOp Shop (never seen a more dead stone face)
Man vs Meeple (same as with One Stop. They just feel like muppets talking from a script).
Roll for Crit
SlickerDrips
>Not shit
Drive Thru Games
Board Game Replay
Tom Vassel
Zee Garcia
Heavy Cardboard
JonGetsGames
King of Avarage
AntLab Games
Grey Elephant gaming
3 Minute Board Games
>>
>play le card
>flip some counters
>repeat for three hours
>thats it folks
Am I missing something about the supposed greatness of Twilight Struggle?
>>
>>68231136
>anything I don't find funny is catagorically not funny
>>
>>68231289
I know this is bait, but the tension that runs throughout Twilight Struggle is glorious. Those gut-wrenching turns when you play Decolonisation for Ops as Soviets, because it is the only thing holding a US Asia domination at bay when you are sure that the bastard is holding the scoring card, create great moments.
And if there is anything in a two player game more delicious than your opponent fucking multiple re-alignment rolls and improving your grip on a key country I've yet to see it.
>>
>>68231207
>Tom "Some people will like it but it's not for me" Vassel
>Not in meh tier

Dude doesn't want to say a shit game is shit in case the publisher stops sending them free games.
>>
I'm a librarian and it turns out that a bunch of different libraries around my city have different board game groups and interests going on every week for different age groups.

Anyway the young people and middle age groups are easy enough to sort out(just give them anything and they'll play) but there are a few elderly groups of people who go to play games and kind of help them keep their brains ticking over a bit as well as a short social outing.

The problem is that older people have trouble with too many rules AND don't like games that are too randomised.
So does anyone have any games that are simple enough on the face of things but don't require endless randomisation like dice rolls.

Some games we've looked at that I currently have are Hanabi, Tsuro, Santorini(not using the god-cards), Army of Frogs, maybe Azule or Flamme Rouge.
I've been forbidden from bringing Root, Twilight Imperium or Dune along for some reason.

So I was wondering if /bgg/ has any good ideas along those lines, games that aren't too random and don't have overly complicated rules for up to about four-five players.
>>
Why are board gamers so gay for metal coins on kickstarters?
>>
>>68232035
You wouldn't understand.
>>
>>68215658
Barbecue sauce, sweetsour sauce, or chili sauce?
>>
>>68222683
>I really like Vasel
why?
he talks like a retard, constantly wheezes since he's so fat, takes 30 minutes to present two-line rules and doesn't even talk about their implications?

I mean, the rest of your list are brainlets as well that don't know how to fucking edit, but vasel is like the VLOG off an autistic asthmatic kid
>>
>>68232243
> Waaaaahhhh! Stop liking what I don't like!
> I'm totally not a brainlet, myself. Srsly guys! Srsly!!!
>>
>>68232243
Vasel aint nearly that bad. Sam Healy though, thats one wheezy fat fuck.
>>
Thoughts on Ryan Laukat's Empires of the Void?
>>
>>68231207
>no based calandale
>>
File: Space 4x list.jpg (1.75 MB, 1050x2314)
1.75 MB
1.75 MB JPG
>>68232313
>>
>>68232029
Skip bo
6nimmt
Fuji flush
For sale
Nevermore
Machi Koro
>>
>>68232503
xia is missing among other things
>>
>>68232855
>Xia
>Space 4x
I know you can argue that Xia has all pf the 4 x's, but it aint a 4X in the sense of what a 4X is.
Xia is a sandbox competative soace crawler.
It's just as 4X as Mage Knight...
>>
>>68231207
I like you
>>
>>68230633
It's okay if you want a random-ass dice chucker where all the information is hidden.

Player interaction might as well not be there, because see above.
>>
>>68233065
Do you think Blacl Angel would be better?
>>
>>68232029
Carcassonne
Ticket To Ride
>>
>>68232805
Thanks I'll look into these ones.
I've only heard of about three of these so I'll see what I can see and we might be able to get the library to buy some and put them into the system instead of dipping into my collection.

>>68233231
Carcasonne yes.
Ticket to Ride maybe not, might take too long to play a full game. I'll run it past them and see.

All good suggestions and much appreciated.
>>
>>68232029
Century or azul
>>
File: Splotter-logo.gif.cf.gif (10 KB, 537x275)
10 KB
10 KB GIF
>want to play one of our ugly-ass games that barely feature any art and have component quality like somebody pnp'd them on a local office printer? That'll be 150$ plus shipping tip, available in no stores near you;^)
>>
>>68233291
>Ticket to Ride maybe not, might take too long to play a full game
>too long
???
How short of game do you need?
>>
>>68233362
About 90 minutes max. I've only played Ticket to Ride with five people and one of my regular group takes three times longer than literally everyone else to make a decision so my understanding of how long a game takes is very very skewed.
You saying its actually a faster game than I thought? That's a relief.
>>
>>68233402
I think the longest TTR game I’ve played was maybe 40 minutes, more like 30 minutes on average, maybe some AP prone players could get it to an hour, maybe
>>
File: ttr.gif (786 KB, 836x533)
786 KB
786 KB GIF
>>68233362
>>68233402
>>68233491
any game of ttr is too long no matter how short
>>
>>68232029
Photosynthesis, and it looks good on the table to boot
>>
File: 1424153581779.gif (1022 KB, 450x253)
1022 KB
1022 KB GIF
>>68233682
You stop knocking on network building! STOP NOW!
>>
>>68232029
Blokus
Carcassonne
Hanabi
Dixit
Code Names
>>
File: Fitk.jpg (42 KB, 533x399)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>68233682
Are COIN games worker placement?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (6.15 MB, 1800x1350)
6.15 MB
6.15 MB PNG
>>68234704
no, they're dexterity games
>>
File: payazzo.jpg (178 KB, 800x1067)
178 KB
178 KB JPG
>>68235018
no luck, but no strategy either
>>
File: gey payed.png (1.45 MB, 1280x720)
1.45 MB
1.45 MB PNG
>>68236568
>no strategy
pffft
>>
>>68233125
I don't.

It seems like the crappiness of the game is a deliberate design decision.

But whatever floats your boat, man.
>>
>>68234704
BGG says La Granja is a worker placement game, so yeah, why not?
>>
>>68236719
What's so crappy about it?
I have never played Trojes or Black Angel, but the playthroughs of Black Angel has made me quite interested.
>>
Did anyone on this planet actually finish Gloomhaven? Is it not a bit insane that #1 game on BGG is one with zero replayability that most people gave up on anyway?
>>
File: 1561244567670.jpg (186 KB, 1280x720)
186 KB
186 KB JPG
>>68238632
bgg is shilling basedwashed games to literal manchildren
>>
>>68233491
Probably doesn't help that all of us were drinking a lot, chatting about work and also catching up on life and stuff.
I'll see how it goes. If not I think Elfenland might actually be a better option if I can find a copy of it. I've played and enjoyed that game a bit.

>>68233318
Azul is on the list, Century I'm not 100% sure on I haven't played it myself, I'll watch some videos and see how it plays, it looks fun but might be overly complicated.

>>68232805
Some good ones there. Thanks.
The card games might be good because they're easier to work with.

>>68234345
Blokus and Dixit look good.
I can't believe I forgot Code Names, that is probably a really good one. Thanks.

Much appreciation to everyone. A bunch of older people will probably enjoy the hell out of this.
>>
>>68240925
>Blokus
don't do that to the poor jerrys
>>
>>68238632
I heard on a YouTube video that some group finished Gloomhaven a week or two ago having played it in regular rotation since getting it, 125 hours of estimated gameplay in the end to do it.
>>
Quick, /bgg/, what are your groups favourite medium weight games that take under or around 2h? I've noticed a lack of those in my collection.
>7 Wonders is a bit boring
>Village is about right
>As is El Grande
>Concordia takes too long, especially with new people
>Broom service is just alright
>Puertorico and small world are ok but very unexciting
>>
File: 1567304459351.gif (3.52 MB, 480x270)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB GIF
>>68241625
Pax Pamir 2nd edition (yes it looks like a beast at first, but one game under a groups belt and it hums and easily completes between 45 minutes to 1.5 hours even at five players, depending on scoring triggers)
Arboretum
Evolution: Climate
Imperial
Chinatown
Paper Tales
Isle of Skye
Modern Art

It's sort of all over the place, but we enjoy sticking knives in each other as much as playing a more laid back auction/bidding game
>>
I'm starting a prototype for an antique shop boardgame (buying, restoring, and reselling items) it's a worker placement with specialization in different types of items (granting better profit on those) and multiple ways to win. Does it sound interesting at all?
>>
File: 1557702488110.jpg (39 KB, 660x371)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>68241837
Have an antiques roadshow tie in and I am all over that shit.
>>
>>68241837
mechanics > theme, nigga

>>68241960
that's stupid
>>
>>68241837
It actually does to me, yeah
>>
>>68242236
I agree, but I also think that theme can be a major point in deciding whether to give a second-look to your game or not.
On the mechanics, do you think that a game needs an unique/innovative mechanic or is it okay to iterate on existing mechanics and match them in a way that doens't exist - even if its only due to the theme?
>>
Thoughts on Lorenzo il Magnifico? How's the player interaction and how's the game with only 2p?
>>
>>68241822
>Imperial
Got Imperial 2030, but no way that takes under 2h. I'm also not really a big fan of Chinatown or Isle of Skye (sold both). But I'll look into paper tales, thanks bro.
>>
File: antique bob.jpg (130 KB, 590x775)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>>68242313
I like innovative/unique mechanics that arise for any reason, but all the mechanics need to be well done.

Pie Town is a fucking top tier game and it's cartoony as shit, the theme wouldn't interest anyone but a midwest mom, and it has a unique "guess the recipe" mechanic that goes with the secret recipe- one which probably wouldn't work in any other game.

51st state, Sons of Anarchy, Bunny Kingdom and many others could be any theme and work fine. 51st state could be all about making sandwiches and it would work the same.

As long as you don't make it dependant on industry knowledge (I have no interest in how to bake a pie any more than what a louis vi archback wicker rocker is) then the antiques theme is great. I'd personally be more interested in antiquities: artifacts and the like, but antiques are fine as a concept especially if they bring some "secret recipe" mechanic with them.
>>
>>68241837
But how much plastic will it feature?
>>
>>68231207
Where does ActuaLol fit?
>>
>>68194635
I have bipolar disorder, so when my depression kicks in I'm here every single day for weeks on end. Otherwise I'm either on a manic upswing where I'm doing something batshit insane or obsessing over whatever grabs my attention then.
Buy Gloomhaven.
It doesn't matter what edition of Dungeons & Dragons you play as long as you're having fun. Too many people get wrapped up trying to find the "best" edition, or spend years reading through "osr" clones looking for the "right" system. There isn't one. OD&D or 5e. It doesn't matter.
Bit of both.
>>
>>68195698
What solo games do you recommend?
>>
>>68243813
Not him but I like Flamme Rouge solo because you can run it pretty fast with multiple bots at the same time instead of only playing against one only.
I also liked the Scythe solo mode and the Wingspan solo mode was pretty good at simulating an actual game(say what you will about Stonemaier their solo modes are usually pretty solid).
I didn't like the multiplayer version of Ex Libris but I did enjoy the solo-mode(in defence of Ex Libris I've only played the multiplayer version once and none of us really got into it).

The Root solo mode was bad(only one faction, barely any interaction, doesn't play like a regular player in any form, no buildings), but some fan made ones on Boardgamegeek were popular enough that they're going to be turned into the "official" version with the next expansion and I'm interested in checking them out at some point.
>>
>>68229552
Only opinion is that I want to play it.
>>
>>68238632
Zero replayability? You must be trolling. You can replay every scenario with different card choices or different groups of characters on different difficulty levels. You'll never play it out.
>>68241315
I have trouble believing the 125 hour claim. There's no fucking way unless they turned the difficulty down and basically just walked through the game. Would be boring as hell to do that. We're about 80 hours in and we haven't even completed 1/3 of the game.
>>
>>68243970
Thanks. Will check Flamme Rouge out.
>>
>>68244174
>I have trouble believing the 125 hour claim.
I got it from a youtube video and the source they used was a thread on Boardgamegeek:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2269055/we-did-it

How reliable/truthful the guy is I don't know but that was my source. I've only played one scenario in Gloomhaven and had a lot of fun, but my group is five people and Gloomhaven is for four players so the guy who owns it kept it for his other smaller group and we just play whatever we can.
The owner of Gloomhaven played the DM more or less managing all the monsters to make it easier for us to play which was nice.
>>
>>68237078
The game seems intent on destroying any possible strategy by making everything as random and/or hidden as possible.

That might be okay if you want a game to waste you an hour or two of time in as diverting matter as possible instead of actually leading you to learn to play strategically.

(Seems like almost every eurogame is like that today, disgusting.)
>>
>>68243970
Forty Five bucks to play solitaire
>>
Got to try out Great Zimbabwe... Gotta say if this is Splotter's LEAST fiddly game I don't really see much of an attraction for me to their stuff
>>
>>68243813
Mage knight
Xenoshyft
Space hulk death angel
First Martians
Helionox
Mistfall
>>
>>68243813
51st State
Lisboa
Arkham Horror LCG
Nations
Mansions of Madness 2nd ed
Dinosaur Island
Gloomhaven
>>
How's Underwater Cities?
Is it even more multiplayer-soltaire than Terraforming Mars?
>>
>>68244200
Flamme Rouge needs the Peloton expansion to go solo mode and it's fun if you like FR. If you
>>
>>68246047
I found it an excessively long game with just a fuckton of unoriginal mechanics thrown in there
>>
My group really likes coop games where we are a team and need to take down the big bad guy. Aeon's End and Legendary Aliens are our favorites games so far.
I have been keeping my eye on Sentinels of the Multiverse but the main reason that keeps me from getting it is that so many people say its very fiddly. Is it really that bad?
>>
>>68248058
check out robinson crusoe
>>
>>68246047
At 2 it kinda is, outside of rare spots getting stolen and the end game scoring cards.
At 3 the spot are already tight to the point it feels pretty cutthroat sometimes, the third player ended up traumatized and unwilling to play anymore because he could never get the spots he wanted at any given turn during every rounds of the game. Probably one of the few games i felt going for 1st player was a necessity more often than not just to at least be sure to get one action you actually wanted to do. In the end it feels more like a tactical kind of game than a long term strategy one due to this.
No idea at 4 but i imagine it's even worse.

Game lasts for quite a while, but personally i enjoyed every play through of it, around 6 so far. It does what it do well, probably one of the few worker placement that doesn't put me to sleep alongside Argent.
>>
File: pic149717.jpg (168 KB, 611x900)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
thinking about getting Battle Line (2p game).
anyone play it?
>>
>>68249031
Don't think. Do.
It's great.
>>
File: thomas btfo.jpg (152 KB, 1025x1019)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
>>68231767
>when I as US space decolonization and it never comes up again
>>
>>68249783
>>when I as US space decolonization and it never comes up again
Until the deck recycles
>>
Should I get Champions of Midgard, the art is shit
>>
>>68250464
I like it with house rules, but without some adjustments it has a few flaws. However I can say the same of every popular worker placement game.

If you don't like the art or theme, I'd say pass. For me I like the art, theme, and medium-light approach of the game. I've yet to try Anachrony but that seems like the next step forward for me when I get around to it.
>>
>>68250496
Thanks, I'll probably pass, mobile-game tier art and all.
>>
File: 1567946150516.jpg (330 KB, 1850x1232)
330 KB
330 KB JPG
Do you guys mind the games where each player has a separate tableau, usually containing cards so you not only have to keep track of your own tableau-buidling but figure out (and use) the other players' as well? Games like Santorini and Le Havre come to mind; the experience always leaves me feeling unsettled. Agricola, too - any game that constantly adds new parameters into the mix and you always feel like you're going to forget some stray rule. This is also why CoB is so good, you just take a glance at what other players are doing, no need for fake depth.
>>
>>68250954
>Santorini

Meant Keyflower
>>
>>68209997
>Sleeving dice
wut?!
>>
>>68251205
>he doesn't brocade his chuckers
>>
>>68251205
next thing you'll tell me you roll them on a non-velvety surface, you maniac
>>
File: 1561941600095.png (69 KB, 274x296)
69 KB
69 KB PNG
>>68251287
>velvety
Tell me velvet doesn't both sound and feel like a sexual act, and I'll call you a liar
>>
File: George-velvet.gif (1.65 MB, 376x267)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB GIF
>>68251415
>>
>>68251415
Velvet, nubuck, peach fuzz, close shaved pet fur, all those hairy textures creep me out when I touch em. Gives me the same feeling some people get with nails scraping a chalkboard, with the goosebumps and shivers and all that.
>>
>>68250954
>boy I sure hate it when games are interactive, just like, let me play solitaire in peace!
>>
>>68251527
Same
>>68251415
Yo are you the homosexual poster for /fit/ that always posts the anime girl wiping her face with a towel?
>>
Is Puerto Rico a bad game for 2p?
>>
>>68219554
how rude
>>
>>68252448
It's not that good at two (if you play the variant where everyone uses two cards) but it's alright.

Recently played it after a few years (but at 5p) and still find the game to be very solid. Not great, but solid.
>>
>>68250304
Spacing decolonization and destalinization on turn 3 is always so brutal
>>
>>68231569
this is axiomatic
>>
>>68248058
Aeon's End looks cool. There is no deck building and these are a bit longer, but have you looked into Eldritch Horror or Mansions of Madness? If you're into Star Wars, you can probably pick up a lot of Imperial Assault for an incredible amount of replay.
>>
File: pic4815198.jpg (62 KB, 630x630)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
Hey, /bgg/. I need someone who has played old/new Dune to give me the heads up on it.

Just read through the manual pdf and cannot decide if it seems like a game I'd love or loathe.Just a few questions:
- The rules seem a bit fuzzy sometimes (and I really, really hate unclear rules) - are they ingame?
- There are a million different fan variants for the problem above and no definitive solution
- I'm absolutely unable to tell if the game can be played in 90 minutes or will take 6 hours everytime
- Does the game often end by someone being kingmade?
- Is combat very swingy?
- How often does early kneecapping happen? And can players ruin their own economy out of inexperience?

Really want to get the game, but as of now it seems to me like GF9 didn't really change a lot of the glaring mistakes of an 1979 boardgame and did not really improve on it. Which they maybe don't need to? I don't really know.
>>
>>68252952
I really like the old school (if I can put it that way) look of some board games and it's a great incentive towards getting them. Stuff like CoB, Puerto Rico, Tigris and Euphrates...just a sucker for those. Somewhat abstract, with lots of tiles, none of shitty millenial freelance digital painting design...
>>
>>68253889
I have not played the game but I know this: to properly enjoy it you need at least four players and those players should know the book.
>>
File: 1537190335353.jpg (32 KB, 336x234)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
A couple months ago we had anons just getting into Arkham Horror LCG and enjoying it. If those anons are still lurking, how has the system been? Is it still being played, and has it been rewarding to explore the other classes and deckbuilding strategies? I never ended up taking the plunge, and apart from one anon sharing their lackluster experience with the core set + first complete wave of mythos packs, I dont hear much from others lately about how it holds up.
>>
File: source (1).gif (455 KB, 500x349)
455 KB
455 KB GIF
>>68255226
Everybody loves Arkham Horro LCG, but there is 3 major tips to enjoy it thoroughly. If you dont do these things, it will be quite frustrating.

1. Get a few cores and the first cycle to build an efficient deck from the start.
2. Always discard/use cards to get you at least 2 points more than you need to win a skill check if you really need to win it.
3. Hunt clues all the time to feed the story before the doom tokens catches you.
>>
I going to buy shogun(2006) and there is NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP ME.
>>
File: 1540766521866.jpg (26 KB, 330x225)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>68255637
Why would we stop you from buying a good game?
>>
File: source.gif (801 KB, 480x270)
801 KB
801 KB GIF
>>68255637
I wouldnt be able to stop you if you want to kill yourself either so... oh wait.
>>
>>68255637
Who the fuck is hating on Shogun? It's a 9 in my book. Haven't found a guy that did not enjoy it. Expansion is kind of weak though. I like the little cards that forces you to speadout for little bonuses, but that can easily be homebrewed.
>>
>>68249031
>thinking about getting Battle Line (2p game).
>anyone play it?
$16 for a beautiful print right now on GMT.
>>
>>68255711
>>68255699
Redpill me on shogun, what's so great about it?
>>
>>68253889
Just get Rex from FFG instead. It's basically the same game. But I will say that game time can in fact vary wildly depending on the players, the alliances they form, and how good the players are.
>>
>>68242236
>that's stupid
your stupid
>>
>>68243813
Scythe, Fire in the Lake, Spirit Island.
>>
>>68244569
I heard it's fifty three if you know the right people.
>>
>>68257998
As the original anon that enjoys antiques road show, who cares if he thinks its stupid.
I just wish that antique restoration game designer anon well in developing something he can enjoy with his friends and be proud of.
>>
>>68253889
They didn't do as much editorial work as I would have liked, but a few of the improvements are absolutely great, like removing three-player alliances.

-Overall there are still more rules uncertainties than I'm happy about, but less than old editions.
-They consolidated a bunch of the more popular variants into a single advanced ruleset, so you really just have to contend with two options in this edition.
-90 minutes is possible but unlikely. Three hours is about normal.
-Intentional kingmaking is very unlikely in this game, unusual for in my experience for any player to be out of the running at the end.
-Combat is extremely swingy, but as it's nonrandom, this doesn't really bother me.
-Kneecapping CAN happen, but I actually think Dune is relatively forgiving in this regard. Recovery can take a round or two from a really bad loss, but I've not yet seen someone taken seriously out of the running before the end.
>>
>>68258141
Can I have three fifty?
>>
>>68258365
It's pronounced 'tree-fiddy!' As in "I'll give you tree-fiddy for dat."
>>
>>68258427
I don't think the Loch Ness monster speaks in ebonics.
>>
File: that's racist.gif (134 KB, 220x196)
134 KB
134 KB GIF
>>68258682
>Ebonics
There's a term I haven't heard in decades. LOL!
>>
>>68259145
Have they given up and just called it 'american' speak now?
>>
I picked up Villainous and had so much fun with friends that I picked up the expansions but I immediately wanted more new characters. Replayability is fine, but the game doesn't have too much variation. As long as you are okay with occasional lucky pulls by opponents resetting your board state I'd suggest it for anyone who's into Disney villains.
>>
>tfw it wasn't game night and you wanna play some new board games
Fuge
>>
If anyone likes MtG and wants a much better alternative to magic game night, just grab however many Guild Kits you want cause those are absolutely the best preconstructed deck product they've ever released.
>>
>>68259587
No, they went with 'Black English' instead.
>>
>>68259997
I thought it was "African-American vernacular" these days
>>
>>68259755
Or they could buy any of a dozen better takes on the genre that don't support a giant cancerous growth on the industry.
>>
>>68260386
like?
>>
>>68259755
How about Keyforge?

>>68257403
What I like about it is I feel it's a decent hybrid game, part light war, part euro. There is no randomness in dice, but slight randomness in the unique battle system instead. There is a also a bit of randomness in programming half your actions, you only know in what order half will fire off in. As each action happens another gets revealed in the queue, so you're not that blind.

Our groups has fun with the theme and outcomes of war. Tax the hell out of a rich province and the farmers will revolt. It's rare, but you can lose a province back to the farmers. If the farmers are angry, then they welcome foreign invaders with a very slight advantage.

I love the battle "dice" tower. Sure it's random, but a controlled kind of random. If 10 of my army cubes are struck in the tower, and only 10 of all other armies, I've got an awesome shot at winning the battle when all involved armies are thrown into the tower. It's also awesome when something unexpected happens, like you gain people in the fight, or what seemed like a one sided battle turned the other way. But if you think about it, it all comes out even in the end.
>>
>>68255382
>Everybody loves Arkham Horro LCG
Speak for yourself, not everyone loves to gulp down FFG pigslop like it's heavenly manna. AHLCG is a 6/10 game that costs as much as a few dozen better games combined
>>
File: 1561660819708.jpg (984 KB, 2048x1357)
984 KB
984 KB JPG
Alright guys I really need help

Is there any game that is similar to Twilight Imperium but is more of a ground game and possibly fantasy?

I'm mainly looking for a strategy game with a lot of different gameplay elements, I thought GoT board game would be it but it's a little too straightforward and samey imo
>>
>>68261322
What did you like about TI that you want in this game?

There's the FFG Lord of the Rings mini game, friends have played it, but I haven't yet.
>>
>>68261366
Well TI is my favorite game so mostly everything, if there was one thing I'd remove it'd probably be the roll dice add number combat system

I like the trading, the deal making, the voting, the area control, the army management
>>
>>68261322
No personal experience with either but the two I most often see recommended for this niche are Runewars and Warrior Knights. Might be worth looking into.
>>
>>68261322
>>68261753
Ah yes... Runewars. This may be up your alley. I think that's a great recommendation for anon based on his criteria. Do check that out.
>>
>>68258295
>STEEV washing away my fears again
Thanks a lot mate, just ordered it. Tbh I would've done so anyway because it's not that expensive, but I feel better about it now.

>>68257403
It is a somehow extremely statisfying game. Though you might have seen me rant about it a few weeks ago - I really like the game, but it is such a bland and uninspiring nightmare of beige and pastel shades, and that really affects how often I get it to the table. The game itself is pretty cool.
>>
>>68252448
> Is Puerto Rico a bad game for 2p?
No, it's great.

Suffers a bit from balance problems - building costs aren't optimized for 2 - but if you play with the expansion that already comes in the box that's sold in decent countries you should be good.
>>
File: Frgggg.jpg (137 KB, 736x1041)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
I just don't get the appeal of Terra Mystica/Gaia Project. There's no theme, no interaction, no randomness, looks ugly as shit, feels overlong and basically railroaded by your faction choice and scoring tiles. It's just an Xbox hueg optimization puzzle.
>>
How's New Frontiers compared to Puerto Rico?
>>
>>68249563
>>68256487
thanks guys :)
>>
>>68263150
I'd argue that no interaction is fundamentally untrue and no randomness isn't a bad thing. And aside from that, you aren't really railroaded by your faction choice, there's just things your faction rewards you for doing and there are a ton of factions.

But, and even more so with Gaia Project, I can see the paper thin theme and merely functional artwork turning people off. (I find TM to be alright and fitting, GP is ungodly ugly)

But, you know, if you don't like it, you don't like it and that's alright.
>>
>>68263150
>I just don't get the appeal of Terra Mystica/Gaia Project
>It's just an Xbox hueg optimization puzzle
It sounds like you get it as far as what I can tell

That said, there certainly is player interaction, and it's not like the rest of the game is faceroll after you've chosen your faction.
>>
>>68262575
>>68260819
Is there a similar version without the Japanese theme my friends don't like?
>>
>>68258295
Never played it, but there is Wallenstein - of which Shogun seems to be a slightly updated reskin of

But judging by how specific your question is worded, you already knew that. I don't know why the paperthin japanese theme should be a problem though? Aside from the map being japan and the backsides of the player boards and initiative cards having a historical japanese figure on them, there is nothing strictly japanese about shogun.
>>
>>68261518
Well, GoT is a pretty great game, and the straightforwardness is pretty much only surface level.
The mechanics are intentionally easy so people focus more on backstabbing and social interaction.
Also, the expansion adds more complex on-the-table diplomacy, so there`s also that.
>>
>>68261518
A Game of Thrones 2nd edition is great.
You should also check ouy Exodus with Edge of Extinction expansion. Really fun and diplomatic, especially when people start to get WMD's.
>>
>>68263150
>no randomness
How in the world is that a bad thing, you numale dweeb?
>>
>>68265874
Some people like a bit of randomness to spice things up.
>>
>>68265741
>>68264575
Just to give a differing opinion: TI4 is also one of my favourite games, and I don't like GoT 2e all that much. I find the rules to be fiddlier and less intuitive (albeit that might be because it is one of the few games I didn't learn the rules myself but had them taught to me) and the whole political/diplomatic aspect to be forgettable. Most of that is because the game is - contrary to TI - entirely played ON the board; players can easily be kneecapped with no hope of recovery, backstabbing doesn't really accomplish a lot and because no point is ever permanent, I've yet to see a game won by something other than kingmaking. I do however like the diplomacy style of gameplay, and the bidding for roles is nice as well.
>>
>>68265741
did you play exodus proxima centauri?
>>
>>68266545
> I find the rules to be fiddlier and less intuitive (albeit that might be because it is one of the few games I didn't learn the rules myself but had them taught to me) and the whole political/diplomatic aspect to be forgettable
In the end it comes down to whether your group communicates enough so diplomacy and backstabbing arise from natural situations, rather than having to be solidified in game mechanics.

>backstabbing doesn't really accomplish a lot and because no point is ever permanent
this I don`t get. It gets you a victory (probably)
Yes, points are temporary, that`s the point (no pun intended). Because if you try to solo everybody, you`ll get taken down by an alliance. That`s why you have to ally, and why you`ll probably have to attack that ally down the line.

>I've yet to see a game won by something other than kingmaking
Why would you kingmake in GoT?
How would you even kingmake in GoT?
Generally, you can fuck up BOTH top player`s plans by allying with 3rd or 4th place, not matter how fucked up you are.
>>
>>68265874
Lack of randomness is poisonous to casual play. It just means that whichever player is best at autistically calculating ahead will win, every time. Plus, if I'm gonna waste my time on a pure battle of wits, I'd rather play a quick abstract like Hive than a long bloated euro
>>
>vinhos deluxe
>looks ten times worse
>costs four times more

what did they mean by this?
>>
>>68266651
>it comes down to whether your group communicates enough so diplomacy and backstabbing arise from natural situations
>this I don`t get. It gets you a victory (probably)
You are right in that all the diplomacy/alliance stuff is group-dependend, but we found that there are few incentives for it. There is little reason to honor deals if breaking them puts you in a stronger position, and no "sympathy bonus" since it is pretty much necessary to backstab someone to have a shot at winning, and everyone knows it. Might obviously just be my group, of course. But I've played the game with just shy of 12 other people in total, and not once have I seen a deal/alliance going further than "we have to stop X, we need to attack him both this turn". But I do want to add that I've seen the same people get really creative and political over TI4.

>Why would you kingmake in GoT?
>How would you even kingmake in GoT?
All games I've played ended the same way; after an obscene amount of time someone just went 'fuck it, I know you are going to win next turn, but not going to take your fortress and stop you" since the game turned into an endless "stop the player(s) that could win next turn".

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.