[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Disciple Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Artificer v2
https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-Artificer2-2019.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>Previous thread:
>>67795887

Has your character ever taken a disciple or apprentice, or trained someone in the course of the adventure? Who was it, how did it happen and how did it go?
>>
Getting into D&D using Fantasy Grounds, mother of God there are some fucking autists of note online, holy shit, it's going to take a while before I find people I don't want to kill.
>>
>>67803212
Welcome to online games, where those too afraid or embarrassed to go out to your FLGS have full license to act.
>>
Should a hawk familiar be allowed to have the “flyby” ability that the owl has? Why or why not?
>>
>>67803212
I don’t imagine it’s any better than roll20
>>
Any humanoid insectoid race similar to Shirren from Starfinder?
>>
>>67803290
In terms of verisimilitude, I would say yes, definitely. Balance-wise, I don’t see it as a problem; the hawk doesn’t have much more with flyby than owl. But if you asked me that in-game I would totally see you as a powergamer.
>>
File: insectoid-warrior-01.jpg (100 KB, 600x849)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>>67803322
Nah, bug races aren't allowed.
>>
>>67803290
just use the owl statblock and refluff it as a hawk.
easiest way to go about things
>>
>>67803365
I looked around for a while before asking here; are there really no bug men? What’s up with that?
>>
>>67803403
There really aren't. The only ones that people mention with any regularity are the thri-kreen, and Wizards has been really reluctant to put out anything on them or Dark Sun in general.
>>
>>67803365
>>67803403
You could easily reflavor the Simic Hybrid to be an insectoid.
>>
>>67803403
They're too cool. If everyone was allowed to play insectpeople, then the other races wouldn't get any play. It's a sad state of affairs.
>>
File: dnau0ul3qcs21.png (1.83 MB, 992x1424)
1.83 MB
1.83 MB PNG
PӨƧƬ FΣY

>Most adventurers who get charmed by a Dryad are never found again, not because it's impossible to rescue them but because they don't want to be found.
>>
Class with the most viability right at Level 1? AL is my only D&D outlet right now and I don't want to wait seven turns to miss/buff one ally.
>>
>>67803345
I’m totally new to D&D, what defines a player as a power gamer and is there any case where it’s ok to try to have a powerful character? What if your playing in an extremely small party of only 2 adventures?
>>
>>67803295
>>67803238
It's literally full tables of the worst fucking players on the planet, it's terrible, I'm going full fascist when I start DMing online until I find non-insufferable cunts, I'm not putting up with autism, I refuse.
>>
>>67803466
Monk with their two attacks or Cleric with bless are both pretty reliable from turn 1.
>>
>>67803468
There's nothing wrong with optimizing, but as a DM you'll start to notice some players need a great many rule alterations/changes to "make their character work," and those small changes add up to make the character really, really good at something. There's no line I would draw in the sand, but it's very much a "you know it when you see it" kind of thing.
>>
>>67803403
Insects aren't people
>>
>>67803345
> the hawk doesn’t have much more with flyby than owl.
it has 2 more AC which I'd already count as a fairly major advantage.
They're not as good at scouting as owls, what with owls having darkvision and keen hearing, though.
>>
Does anyone use any nice equipment when they play that they really enjoy using and enhances the experience for them? A nice rolling tray or dice box? iPad vs dry erase board? Ale horn cup?
>>
Good feats for Eldritch Knights other than War Caster and Shield Master?
>>
>>67803365
>>
>>67803431
I looked them up on your recommendation and that’s a pretty good idea.
>>
What's a good way to make campaigns more brutal and unforgiving to my players?
>>
>>67803752
Crit fails
>>
>>67803752
debilitating injuries and wounds when critically hit that have impact outside of combat.
>>
>>67803752
Getting knocked unconscious increases your exhaustion by 1 level.
>>
>>67803811
I like that idea. Thanks
>>
>>67803238
To be fair some places dont have FLGS.
>>
>>67803641
Spell Sniper if you ever fight outside of small battle maps

Without knowing more about your character that's about all you'd use

Also get a Ruby of the War Mage if you can
>>
>>67803641
magic initiate is great for getting more cantrips
>>
High elf tome warlock with magic initiate at level 4.

How many cantrips is that, and what should they all be?
>>
File: homunculus.jpg (184 KB, 1000x754)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
>>67803456
ugly fey ?
>>
Are tridents and nets actually any good in D&D?
Considering a gladiator looking Fighter.
>>
>>67803752
Since 3.5 i always roll the monster's attacks and damage in front of my players, a lot of DMs try to save their players from monsters when they crit too much, for example. My players know i don't do it when i roll the attacks for them to see and they accept it better when a pc dies.
>>
>>67803752
give them as many encounters as the system intends. 5e is remarkably well balanced and can challenge almost any player if you throw 6-8 decent encounters at them in a day.
>>
>>67804056
Yeah, they're fine.
>>
Monks with magic initiate. Should they bother? What spells/cantrips work best with them? Is it always anything that gets them hex???
>>
>>67804022
Dude are you serious? Are you incapable of doing such simple math yourself? its 3 warlock cantrips plus 1(high elf) +3(tome) +2(magic initiate) from any class, for a total of 9 cantrips, as for witch you should get that entirely depends on your subclass and build strategy.
>>
>>67803928
>Ruby of the War Mage
What use is this other than RP purposes?
>>
>>67804135
It turns your weapon into a caster focus, so if your DM is a stickler about components and somatic requirements, you're able to keep casting spells without having to drop/stow your shield
>>
>>67804135
depends on the type of dm really, if its one of those that really focus on realism during fighting, switching from your weapon to your focus can become a hastle(costing your whole action just to switch), so having a weapon that is already a focus becomes very useful, but only with that dm.
>>
File: baba.gif (2.42 MB, 500x213)
2.42 MB
2.42 MB GIF
>>67804052
Hellboy has a lot of fucked up Fey, it's a good source of inspiration if you want to make a fey villain
>>
>>67803752
More encounters. All appropriate creatures savage players that hit 0 hit points (Malicious intelligent creatures that just love to kill, wolves and other hunting beats, any smart creature that sees people getting healed).

Multi-attack is the strongest PC killer next to save or dies and don't feel heavy-handed/unfair.
>>
>>67804178
nice, thx
>>
>>67804161
>>67804167
Oh right.

Yeah thankfully the DM doesn't really care about that sort of stuff.

Just that we're able to speak or use hands when we need to.
>>
>>67803928
oh, spell sniper doubles the range of all your spells that require attack rolls, so 10ft reach booming blade and green flame could be useful
>>
>>67804380
just be sure to practice your HIYAs in your best Link voice when you shoot laser beams out of your sword
>>
>>67804178
Do feys count as witches or witches count as feys? I need to learn more about monsters.
>>
Does anyone have a copy of the preview for Odyssey of the Dragonlords that was just released the other day on kickstarter?
>>
>>67804056
Tridents are just expensive spears that don't benefit from PAM. Nets are good if you can get the hit (restrain is really good), but you will always have disadvantage to hit with them unless you have Crossbow Expert or Sharpshooter.
>>
>>67804429
Hags are originally from the feywild, like elves, people forget they are originally fey because of the overuse.
>>
>>67804437
Is that the book about greek mythology stuff? It looked interesting
>>
>>67804437
Yeah - I’m uncertain whether I want to buy it or not. I read their playerguide and didn’t like that it had specified destiiws for the heroes.
>>
>>67804056
No
>>
>>67803365
What does bug cock look like and what does it taste like?
>>
So do you guys use that Strongholds & Followers book at all?
>>
File: EBx4zZmVAAAaRXs.jpg (214 KB, 1362x2048)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
>summer is nearing the end
>wasn't able to find a beach theme campaign
Hold me, fa/tg/uys!
>>
>>67804745
Ask your mom.
>>
>>67804802
Me mum is an asexual bee queen.
>>
>>67803625
I recently bought a cheap wooden dice tower, and little plastic miniature stands that can hold cardboard pieces. Printed out a lot of little figures on cardboard to put on them, wish I knew about this shit years ago.
>>
Thoughts on multiclassing? If you DM do you usually allow multiclassing?
>>
>>67804800
Life isn't an anime but neither are most D&D games, suck it up.
>>
>>67804800
Just ask to have a beach episode with you guys, literally just take some random encounter tables, an encounter, some random loot, shit like that. Just something that carries over, opens some loose RP, and might be real fun.
>>
>>67804848
I allow it, but my players never actually use it.
I love my players.
>>
File: 201907sdorica (1).jpg (177 KB, 1024x576)
177 KB
177 KB JPG
>>67804800
What exactly were you expecting to find, anon?
>>
File: armor-druid.png (1021 KB, 727x868)
1021 KB
1021 KB PNG
Aside from Breached Foundations and Claws of Iron, is this subclass fucked?
>>
>>67804848
I do but I regularly ran gestalt campaigns in 3rd so I am not the best person to listen to.
>>
>>67804848
multiclass builds almost always break the game, so no i dont allow it, and i dont know a single dm who does.
>>
>>67804848
It's more bookkeeping, but I allow it. My players are based enough to only do it when it fits their character (for example, the storm sorc who multiclassed into tempest cleric because he believes his sorcery was a gift from a god he now worships)
>>
>>67804848
I think that if you multiclass between spellcaster classes with cantrips, that you should only get one cantrip when you take that first level.
>>
I'm converting the AD&D 1e Wilderness Survival Guide to 5e, and I want to know what people think so far.

When traveling in the wilderness if the PCs want to hunt for food, they designate a party Hunter. Hunting takes two hours and is best done either in the early morning or the early evening when animals are most active. The Hunter makes a Wisdom (Survival) check with a DC based on foraging rules in the DMG, with the DC increased by 2 for each additional party member that goes hunting (since it's more likely they'll scare an animal away).

Once they find something, I roll to determine what they find. They can then make ranged weapon attacks against whatever creatures they encounter, with each success being a "hit" rather than them rolling for damage. Small creatures are killed after one hit, medium creatures after two, and large creatures after four. They can keep making attacks as long as they have ammo and until one of them misses, in which case the creatures run away.

If a creature has hits against it but isn't killed then the party can roll Wisdom (Survival) to track it as per the tracking rules in the DMG.

Once killed, a small creature gives one ration, a medium three, and a large six. A Ranger in his favored terrain doubles this, and if the party spends an entire day butchering and preparing the meat this is doubled again.

Thoughts?
>>
>>67804946
Powerful players bad, no fun allowed
>>
>>67804920
Yes. Absolutely fucked. Iiiiiinstantly banned at my table.

Still less brokwn than Moon druid
>>
>>67804848
Multi-classing is fine, but I expect players to put effort into it:
>Why would you character multi-class (In-character)?
>How did they learn a new set of skills? From where, who?

Two basic things I want answered.
>>
>>67805138
Wanna elaborate?
I was comparing it to moon druid myself, which isn't saying much in terms of game balance
>>
File: UpscGns.jpg (1.82 MB, 1988x3056)
1.82 MB
1.82 MB JPG
>>67804912
Not that anon but it could be fun fighting some evil elemental islandgod and weresharks or something.
>>
What's the best video tutorial series on D&D 5E? Everywhere I look it's retards talking about their retarded campaigns, or trying to sell me geek shit.
>>
>>67805160
Matthew Coleville:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-YZvLUXcR8&list=PLlUk42GiU2guNzWBzxn7hs8MaV7ELLCP_
>>
>>67805117
Ranger tested, Ranger approved.
>>
File: 1562958789459.jpg (428 KB, 1827x2004)
428 KB
428 KB JPG
>>67805134
Hyperpowerfull characters that can defeat anything easily, ah yes, much fun
>>
>>67805182
Bye, I’m totally not matthew... don’t forget to smash that like button
>>
>>67805214
Put more effort into you games, lazy boy. It isnt rocket surgery
>>
File: 1565373927108.jpg (94 KB, 599x800)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>67805117
i actually like this, was looking for a more realistic ruling on hunting, the outlander automatically finding food is so cancer.
>>
File: 1553907958964.jpg (66 KB, 598x778)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
>>67805270
Swing on down by /osrg/ and grab the AD&D 1st Edition Wilderness Survival Guide off their trove, it has a lot of neat rules like this.
>>
>>67805247
"bro just make your encounters around my character that I meticulously crafted to have aas few weaknesses and as many strengths as possible bro. What are you, a shit DM?"
>>
>>67805306
Not him, but u sound like an idiot. Just add some hp to monsters and make their attack rolls +1or 2 to hit.
>>
What would happen if you wrapped a iron chain around someone and cast Enlarge/Reduce (Reduce) on it?
>>
>>67805373
Which works to balance the game around one player.
The rest of the party, on the other hand, are going to be taking buffed hits from monsters because of that one player.
>>
>>67804848
>Multiclassing
Yup, but I also use Downtime: Training to level. NPC trainers in villages are good to train to level 4, and you have to go to cities to train to level 10. Past that, you have to find some fonts of power, legendary trainers, or go extraplanar to train.

As long as they find an NPC who can train them in the class, they can do it. Warlocks make actual pacts that have story consequences and clerics can fall like paladins if they go against their god's tenets. Some classes like wizards that have already gotten into the class just need a safe place to train or study.

https://youtu.be/pOcsBiCaEJ8
>>
>>67805395
The creature would probably take some (1-4) bludgeoning damage and have advantage on breaking the chains on its turn
>>
Fuck it

Johnny Cage archtype for monk

>3rd Level:
Gain the following 2 abilities: Shadow Kick and Force Ball
Shadow Kick: Spend 1 Ki point to perform the Shadow Kick, your character instantly moves 10ft in one direction (or until an enemy/object is encountered) and perform a standard unarmed strike, with a bonus +2 damage
Force Ball: Spend 1 Ki point to throw a ball of green magical energy forward 30ft and deals your current martial arts die in damage, you are always classed as proficient for this attack

>6th level:
You may use your DEX, STR or CON modifier in place of your CHR modifier when attempting to charm or persuade a creature, and you gain proficiency in Persuasion if you didnt already have it

>11th level
Your Shadow Kick now knocks targets prone on a failed DEX save, and Force Ball now throws 2 orbs (both must be at the same target) instead of one

>17th level
You learn the Ninja Mime Parry move, and Shadow Kick, Force ball and Unarmed Strikes gain an extra D6 damage

Ninja Mime Parry: Spend 3 Ki points to perform a Ninja Mime Parry, which lasts until the start of your next turn, the first time an opponent Successfully hits you with a melee attack within 5ft, the Ninja Mime Parry cancels out any damage rolled, instead, you instantly perform an unarmed strike, which doubles any damage rolled for this attack

Probably broken or underpowered as shit
Wrote this while I was bored
Rate it
>>
File: beastfolk races.jpg (90 KB, 720x720)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>67803190

>it's been three months since the last Unearthed Arcana

jesus fucking christ what happened this time
>>
Good events for a session set in a local fair?
Alternately any valid adventure I can find online with this theme? It doesn't matter if it's from another edition or system, I can adapt that.
>>
>>67804848
It can be OK if it can be justified. Usually powergaming players can't justify it.
To head that off, my DM doesn't allow it. I'm new to DMing 5e so I've yet to allow it either.
>>
>>67805410
Then leave the monster stats alone and when u roll to hit the one powerful player add +5 to hit against him. Figure it out dumbass unimaginative DM
>>
>>67804920
Shit flavor and OP mechanically.
>>
>>67803641
Resillient, Warcaster, Sentinel, PAM, GWM, CBE, SS, Lucky, Ritual Caster,
>>
File: wallpaper-2610821.jpg (580 KB, 2500x1233)
580 KB
580 KB JPG
PCs can benefit from one source of magical food (goodberry or create food/water) per day to count as a "meal" while adventuring. PCs need two "meals" a day.

Outlander only grants advantage on survival checks to find food and water.

Or, is it better to just ban those things that make survival gameplay trivial?
>>
>>67805604
Anon, that's just the shortlist of "What feats should I ban?"

good list
>>
Am I a fag for banning Bards and Sorcs from my game?
>>
>>67804116
Sure if it fits their character.
>>
>>67805629
Resilient and Ritual Caster are fine.
>>
>>67805524
I thought they just plain stopped doing UA? Like it's WotC saying "Here's the D&D Beyond page for homebrew crap, YOU nerds do it".
>>
>>67805632
Just someone intimidated by their raw sexual energy. So, closeted.
>>
>>67805616
I think it's better just to ban stuff that "solves" survival. Why should an outlander or Ranger struggle to survive? That's literally what they are good at, and don't have a problem with it, so no, they shouldn't be in a survival campaign.
Goodberry can be fixed with Gritty realism easy, which I recommend for any travel / survival heavy campaign.
>>
>>67805632
>Bards
Maybe
>Sorcs
Yes. Sorcs are rather underpowered.
>>
>>67804848
I allow it, but almost all of my players are new, and none have even showed interest in multiclassing
>>
>>67805616
Make it so that if they subsist off of nothing but goodberries they get sick after a certain period of time, similar to the rules for Wondermeal in Pathfinder.

They start taking levels of exhaustion because eating literally only one thing, even magical food, is not good for you.
>>
>>67805632
Maybe, but at least your game isn't.
>>
How would u deal with my character. V. Human w ritual caster feat and outlander background. Has a familiar. 5 levels Ranger/Hunter and 5 levels Rogue/assassin. Former military Scout Sniper, fought Orcs. Was trained to sneak behind enemy lines and take out specific targets. Can survive in the wilderness and track down targets. Has the sharpshooter feat, colossal slayer, as well as expertise in stealth and perception, he can sneak attack and assassinate. Spells include hunters mark, cure wounds, zephyr strike, and dark vision. Familiar helps give advantages for sneak attack.
>>
File: EB2u1H5WwAA6zec.jpg (77 KB, 680x510)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
This is Earth's quietest place: inside the room it’s so silent that the background noise measured is actually negative decibels and you can actually hear your own heartbeat and your bones moving

Also looks deadly as fuck
>>
>>67805666
>Yes. Sorcs are rather underpowered.
Oh really?
My players always chose sorcs over wizards. And almost always bards.
Never warlocks either. (Understandably)
>>
>>67805616
If people choose to eat fucking goodberries and bland conjured junk all day, let them. If you want to make survival an important factor, don't play a game focused around magic and hitting shit with swords.

I reward players who explore a locale's cuisine, whether it's with plot-related clues or a simple buff/bonus from improving their lifestyle. The guy who goes to eat at the inn is more liked by the townsfolk than the creepy hippie who eats magic berries made from whatever the fuck magic is.
>>
>>67805629

I'm>>67805604
The only feat out of that list I really dislike is Lucky. But, I've made a decent amount of homebrew/houserules and prefer a higher power party.
>>
>>67804946
I am one of the main DMs at our large FLGS and all 9+ tables allow multi classing.
>>
>>67805762
okay, so what kind of encounter can you run there?
>>
>>67805761
A bunch of intellect devourers
>>
>>67805764
wizards can keep up with damage output and get more spells. Almost a straight upgrade.
>>
>>67805761
Familiars using the help action get killed.
Other than that, nothing much. Maybe just give you worse magic items than I do to your teammates.
>>
>>67804920
If you remove the improved beast form the circle spell list and the insta-deleteing BBEG features seems good to go
>>
Anyone know of a good frog god? And I kind of want to fuck with the timeline/official story by having Baalzebul/Beelzebub be transformed into a literal giant fly (instead of that fucking slug thing). It makes more sense in a symbolic sense for what I've got planned for the stupid fucker.
>>
>>67805764
Warlocks are far stronger than bards or sorcerers tho
>>
>>67805395
If its a low str cuck, they are paralyzed and take 3d10 bludegeoning damage a turn. If they don't get out by an amount of turn equal to their con modifier they go down, and suffer a level of exhaustion for every other turn.
If its a high str chad, they break the chains
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (132 KB, 1280x720)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>67805836
Take Maturin, The Turtle, from Stephen King's Dark Tower series and IT. A guardian of reality, but make it a frog.
>>
>>67805836
Xathoqqua and Bobugbubilz are two frog deities from various retroclones I've played in the past. Both of them are evil though. Xathoqqua is kind of an all-around Chaos deity associated with life, death, savagery, etc. while Bobugbubilz is basically Yig but with frogs instead of snakes and is more directly malevolent.
>>
>>67805865
>t. smelly high-strength low-int incel who can't even cast Prestidigitation
>>
A Narzugon devil can claim souls and turn them into devils without any kind of pact or agreement?
>>
>>67805836
something based on this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Frog_God
>>
>>67805836
Obviously the Egyptian chaos god Kek
>>
>>67805287
awesome, thanks
>>
>>67805817
>>67805859
I don't get my players then.
I'd just like for them to pick literally any other class than Sorc or Bard for once. Sorc always chooses wild magic aswell which is wearing me out.
>>
>>67805905
>Needing prestidigtation with great Cha score, prof in Athletics, and tons of other fun spells.
>Implying I dont have a level of Sorcerer or Warlock.
>>
>>67805913
Yeah shit's fucked up.
>>
>>67805946
Is it the same people picking the same classes? Or different people picking from the same group of classes?
I would just have an adult conversation with them, and say that you want them to play something else, or roll for their class.
>>
>>67805946
>always picks wild magic
They aren't doing it to powergame, I think they just like randomness. Wild Magic is basically the weakest of all sorcerers but the most fun.
>>
Looking for a boss for my campaign. A sacred stone of parlor, the sun god was stolen and my players have to set out to find it. The stone warms a city in the mountains and provides a magical protective barrier that keeps the town warm and safe. Since the stone was stolen, the town and the temple of pelor are venerable to Attack. Who would be a good boss that could have stolen the sun God’s stone? I’m new, are there any ice devil lords or gods of darkness? That kind of thing? It dos t have to be a deity that stole the stone, could be one of their followers
>>
>>67805920
Cool romance story, wonder if I can implement that in the campaign if I add it.
>>67805922
Wash your mouth with salt before you speak such sins again.
>>67805953
>Warlock
Lack of soul confirmed. And your Cha is pathetic, your Athletics rolls keep failing because of the penalties you're taking from steroids and could you at the very least bother to bathe once in a while?
>>
>>67805993
Fire giant who really wants that good source of warmth in an otherwise shitty environment. Gives the players a chance to talk things out, also check the Eberron 5e book for rules on giant magical plot devices. (Literally giant magical devices in this case.)
>>
>>67805801
Nothics
>>
File: Fatherllymicillusion.png (439 KB, 644x414)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
>>67805993
Make it a multi-stage thing. The people who stole the sunstone did so because their society in the north or south (hemispheres, man) is in the grips of an unnatural and endless winter.

The PCs find out that the winter is caused by an eldritch abomination that fell from the sky in the north. This monster can magically connect with its home, a realm of endless ice. It is terraforming your setting into a copy of its home.

Look up "Elder Evils, Father Llymic" for more info.
>>
>>67805974
Its three people usually fighting over them because I've started to limit the amount of classes to one of each per game. They usually switch around who plays what. One of them is definitely trying to powergame every time however. Even if he's not the best at it. His characters are always builds before they have any sort of backstory.
And yeah I'm not going to go "These are banned" but you're probably right about having a talk rather than just laying down more rules without explaination.
>>67805985
It just gets so tiresome after the fifth campaign of "Can I get my advantage back?" on every spellcast.
>>
>>67806010
Paladins have way higher Cha than autismo wizards. Therefore Paladins have a greater respect for hygiene and other social norms than skinnyfat wizards who are acne ridden, have bad posture, weak jawlines,receding hairlines, patchy beards, little smegma filled dicks, and reek of B.O.
>>
>>67806081
Thank you, googled the father Llymric, this gives me some great material to adapt into my campaign
>>
>>67803641
Ritual Caster, Wizard
>>
>>67806086
They are not powergaming, they just like the mechanical side of the game and/or suck at making a backstory. Thats not that big of a problem. Also, two players of the same class is okay, but same subclass is distasteful.
I think rolling for class is your best option.
>>
>>67806188
That's Constitution you acne ridden, bad posture having, weak jawlined,receding hairlined, patchy bearded, little smegma filled dicked, reeking of B.O. cunt.
>>
File: 1557001571825.jpg (160 KB, 960x960)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>Give players +3 legendary weapon
>Player A wants it
>Player B wants
>They both bicker and refuse to let go of the weapon
>This happens for almost 30 minutes
>30 minutes of bickering and fighting over an imaginary weapon

This is why guns in fantasy settings shouldn't exist, fuck FR.
>>
>>67806223
>Plays 20 int wizard
>Can't even come up with insults of his own
Every fuckin thread
>>
>>67806283
>Okay who wants a permanent double damage buff!
>There's more than one damage guy in the party
>>
>>67806283
Do they have any other magic items? Sounds like sour grapes.

What if one had a +3, but the other had a +2? They'd probably still fight over it...
>>
>>67806344
Show me where the caster diddled your save.
>>
File: 8c3.jpg (134 KB, 496x496)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
>>67806363
>they only play "damage guys"
>no one ever plays "utility bros"
>>
>>67806283
As DM pick the player u like the least and give him the +3 weapon. Then in the next room let them find a +5 weapon and give it to your favorite PC. Then just start laughing maniacally
>>
Random Q

Im joining a game...

>can I get a list of classes/subclasses?
>i dont want players to know what other players can do

What should I say?
>>
>>67806513
Run. Or, at least ask for story background so that you can make a character that makes sense in the story.

Alternatively, play a cleric who doesn't have a penalty in stealth. No one is ever angry at having another cleric in the party, and you won't automatically fail any stealth checks.
>>
>>67806513
What?
>>
>never played Sorcerer
>both Divine Soul and Shadow origins look interesting
>tfw constant fear of the class sucking with how few spells you get to learn and that I'd be better off playing a Cleric or a Bard/Warlock
Just how inferior are Sorcerers to all the other classes? I know I shouldn't be focusing on efficiency all that much, but I don't want to end up playing the Ranger of casters.
Fuck Wizards btw
>>
>>67806513
Nothing? The DM wants people to just pick in a vacuum and let the other players have to figure out what each character does through in game information. Humor him. If you end up not liking it, let him know or leave or whatever.
>>
>>67806592
Well, I had chosen a subclass of summoner/eldritch before based on theme and it had extreme drawbacks of regularly going insane with no real benefit or tradeoff.
>>
>>67806585
Who cares?
Every caster with damage cantrips is at the baseline as good as any martial
Any extra utility above that is an added bonus
>>
>>67806585
you'll be fine.

It only starts getting noticeable after level 10.

If you go Divine Soul, you'll still have healing. If you go Shadow, look at an elf with Elvish Accuracy to shoot into the darkness you can see through.
>>
>>67806629
Well that's really different, I have no idea what that is. Are you talking about the same campaign? Is this D&D 5e or something else? I guess I misunderstood, thought the DM just meant he didn't want to show you a list of what other players had as character classes.
>>
>>67806585
>I don't want to end up playing the Ranger of casters.

Then Sorcerer is definitely not for you.
>>
>>67806219
>I think rolling for class is your best option.
That's a very cool idea! At least for a oneshot or something! To break up the monotomy.
Thanks, anon!
>>
>>67806513
Just don't go full generic damageman and you'll be fine. Tell him that it's very obvious what players can do anyway though.
>>
>>67806585
Sorcerers are just as good as some other classes, they're just not in the OP tier.
>>
File: 200px-Marut_5e.jpg (14 KB, 200x250)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>campaign centered on an inevitable hunting down the party who are definitely not strong enough to face it with the party having to navigate through several planes in order to correct their mistake
What could be something that the party fucked up and have to fix?
>>
File: groundhog-day-driving.jpg (43 KB, 751x516)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>67806915
Every time they are caught and killed by the Inevitable, they wake up back at the start of the campaign. Starting equipment, but they keep their levels. They broke the timestream.

Everyone! Laugh at the wizard's spellbook!
>>
>>67806915
>Marut finds the party
>Starts slamming them
>Heal the player 1 HP every time
>they never die, Marut is fucked
>>
>>67807005
Every time at least one of them dies, they are all sent back. Have the universe explode after a little while in the campaign. they die, resetting. Stopping the end of the universe frees them from the time loop and makes them mortal.
>>
File: 1553065543637.jpg (302 KB, 823x1280)
302 KB
302 KB JPG
Im ttying to fluff a group of monks who live in a mountaintop monastary, these monks arent so much worried with religious enlightenment or other such lofty goals though they are all members of the group (going to say sect here since I dont know what else to call it) because their families where part of it and on the whole the sect teaches good martial arts as well as is rather wealthy. The families all came together as a sort of martial mafia to carve out a safe place in their home and help each other and they all do things to help aid the sect grow in wealth and power because doing so also helps their families. The highest elder and matriarch of the sect being a lamia. Sometimes she loans out her power to promising young monks to make them warlocks. Anyone have any good ideas for fluff for this?
>>
>>67806915
Maruts enforce contracts signed in Sigil, I don't remember the lore exactly but there was a place where two parties could agree on just about anything and the Marut would enforce the terms no matter what.

So either the party agreed on a contract and then reneged on it, or they have done something directly harmful to the whole contract/marut organization thing.
For example, assisting someone who had signed such a contract in his quest to sneak into their place and steal the contract so it no longer exists and is unenforceable. The guy got away from that contract, but him and the party are now hunted by the contract-keepers themselves.
>>
>>67807161
Set it up like Into The Badlands and have the upper classes be martial artists in a kind of Points of Light or post-apocalyptic world.

Magic could be outlawed because it caused the apocalypse, similar to Dark Sun. It doesn't have to be a setting wide apocalypse, and could just be located in the region with the Monk-Nobles enforcing the magic ban.
>>
My group wants to visit Waterdeep before moving on to the next part of their adventure.
What the fuck am i supposed to do to prepare? Seems like a monumental thing to get ready for just a week
>>
>>67807286
Read briefly the part of Waterdeep Dragon Heist which describes and overview of the city.
Don't go into details about its districts and such.

Just look at the general idea and remember the city is ruled by Masked Lords and an Open Lord (Laeral Silverhand, one of the daughters of Mystra, the godess of magic).

Waterdeep is generally Victorian London without most of the tech.
>>
>>67807371
Oh also two other striking features (besides its massive size and population of 2 million) are the flying griffon guards and the 7 or so gigantic statues that are dormant around the city
>>
>>67807286
Ask what they want to do there and plan around that.

Get Volo's Waterdeep Enchiridion and have one of the festivals on when the PCs arrive.
>>
>>67807251
The setting is my dms baby and magic isnt outlawed but he wants us to make up some stuff he could work in. Im seeing the lamia as a not really good but not really evil just very goal oriented to help the family/sect because it also helps her. The entire thing being a sort of mafia esque hiarchy.
>>
File: 1309085035289.png (5 KB, 170x236)
5 KB
5 KB PNG
>DMPC is a 13-year old cleric girl
>she's some kind of chosen one
>we have to protect her
>mostly plays like a 13-year old so we let it pass
>we have some months downtime
>DM says his DMPC is now married to a 33 year old Wizard
>says we've been good friends with him all these months
>says his 13-year old DMPC is now pregnant
>says the Wizard will be his new DMPC and the girl will be retired because she's pregnant
>we say our characters would never accept that
>he says it was normal "back then"
>I tell him it's not "back then" it's a fantasy world
>he says it's normal in his fantasy world and if I don't accept it I'm acting out of character
>>
I want to make a tough mofo for an upcoming campaign going through Storm King's thunder, a dude who can take hits from giants and face them head on. I'm probably going to take heavy armor master to help with that.

Before the game starts and i commit to it, i wanna know if that adventure gives the giants magical weapons, or if it features a lot of creatures with magical weapons in general.
>>
>>67807626
How old is your DM?
>>
>>67807653
late 30s
>>
File: 2004430484_7.jpg (61 KB, 450x687)
61 KB
61 KB JPG
How do I run a good Steampunk D&D game? Also is level 3/4 too soon to give the players a chance at getting a small airship?

Also how do you guys DM Avernus?
>>
Hey guys. I was looking to attempt to run through Curse of Strahd solo so I can get familiar with it, as both a DM and Player, and eventually run it, but I know it's designed for around 4-6 level 1s to start with. How should I adjust my level to go solo? Make a lvl 3 character to start and ignore the lvl 10 cap?
>>
>>67807656
Alrighty then. Might wanna look into his travel habits. See if "Uncle Epstein's Magic Island" doesn't come up.
>>
>>67803534
Owls don't have darkvision
>>
>>67803466
Fighter with a feat like crossbow expert is pretty strong.
>>
File: PHBreadit.png (1.91 MB, 916x1162)
1.91 MB
1.91 MB PNG
>>67807703
>>
>>67807703
They have 120ft darkvision and advantage on perception. Also flyby.

They're the mary sues of the birb world
>>
>>67807662
Maybe give them an airship that they can't use for gamebreaking exploring.
Like a lil dingy of an airship with no weapons that other bigger airships would totally shoot down, so they can use the airship for a small area but not just flying away from the plot immediately.
>>
>>67807662
>Also is level 3/4 too soon to give the players a chance at getting a small airship?
Just depends on what you want from the campaign. If you want the campaign to revolve around there sick ride, go for it.
>>
>>67807703
You don't even have to know the PHB to call this post retarded.
>>
>>67807662
Eberron is a steampunk campaign setting

There are airships there but they're all controlled by a rich guild.
I think (but I may just be dumb) there are smaller airboats that can be operated by anyone.
>>
>>67803468
The rule of thumb is that you shouldn't be much stronger than the average of the party, either offensively or defensively. Otherwise the Dm has to choose between making encounters that you trivialize or ones that crush the other players.
>>
>>67807794
>There are airships there but they're all controlled by a rich guild.
The spice must flow.
>>
>>67803811
This idea sucks

>>67803752 Just have monsters attack the pcs when they're down. Two melee attacks whele they're down will kill them, a monster with three attacks can down a player and then finish them off with a single action.

Healing word is a meme
>>
File: Infinity_Train2.png (741 KB, 1422x712)
741 KB
741 KB PNG
>>67807005
I kinda like this idea, I was just developing the starting points for a campaign idea wherein the players are sent on an seemingly inconspicuous quest to inspect a cave and find someone, but this cave in actuality brings them to another dimension where the person is trapped or has been kidnapped. This dimension is special though, while in this place revival magic no longer works, instead if you were to die you'd be revived outside the cave keeping your levels and starting gear.
Now your not immortal while in here, you'd die for good if you die too many times in one sitting and in those instances reviving that person is basically impossible without finding a way out back to their the main dimension.
>>
File: eberron alignments.jpg (72 KB, 501x375)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>67807794
The reason Eberron is kept up to date for every edition is pic related.

Wizards knows that having fixed alignments is "problematic", especially for races like Orcs.
Eberron is a good way out of this mess, I wouldn't be surprised if they adapt FR to this system in a future edition.

I'm surprised they kept fixed alignments for 5e.
>>
>>67807626
>having a DMPC at all
>>
File: 1537123497018.jpg (268 KB, 922x1280)
268 KB
268 KB JPG
>my back up in case my character dies is a wannabe evil overlord who is a chuuni with actual powers at best

What cartoons should I watch to get into the mindset and would Sorcerer or Wizard be better?
>>
>>67807684
it's not balanced in any way for a solo player and is meant to challenge players even who out-level certain zones. you could try a gestalt character but you're way better off making at least 2 NPC characters as pseudo party members.
>>
>>67807945
>I'm surprised they kept fixed alignments for 5e.
They didn't.
This description pretty much matches 5e's description of alignment. Sure, it mentions an influence of certain gods on certain creatures, but for the most part alignment in 5e is just some fluid mess of 'if you're not a fiend or celestial or something then it could be anything' and that's why detect evil and good only detects planar or otherworldly creatures rather than humanoids.
>>
Just wondering since Im not veey good at this game and I am kind of new, Im trying to see if I can make a kensei/Pactblade warlock and looking to make it not be too far behind just a straight build of monk at higher levels. I remember there being a similar question a while back but I missed it at the time. You guys have any tips to make this work better or should I try a different build?
>>
>>67807957
If you're invested enough in D&D to be making "backup characters" it's time to DM.

Like a lobster who grows too large for its shell and leaves it behind to avoid the pain, this is your signal anon.
>>
File: mechanus.png (490 KB, 500x667)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>67807005
>they broke the timestream
what does this entail exactly? And why do they respawn?
>>67807011
that would require endless spell slots
>>67807238
This is good. I can probably sneak something like that in with a questgiver without them declining it. They are level 8 now, so next campaign, if we continue on these characters I expect to take it extraplanar.
>>67807081
Hmm, I like the idea, but so do you mean that the marut is after them to kill them before the universe explodes, since they are what's causing it be it directly or indirectly, but if they evade him for too long then the end of the world happens anyway and for whatever reason they start back at the beginning? Would you do it like Torment then ,where you retain your memories when you die and wake up?
>>
File: rrr.jpg (29 KB, 267x439)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>67808017
Or the healer feat and a minimal sum of money invested into healer kits.
>>
>>67807957
Wizards, a movie from like the 70s with lots of shit being killed, hitler movies, permanently aroused faeries, and of course wizards.

Merlin was a good movie miniseries that I highly recommend for a good display of how wizards should act.
>>
>>67807985
Good to know...
If it makes any difference I was gonna try running it with a Lore Bard (to eventually get animate dead at level 6), a straight necromancer, Or a rogue.
>>
File: maze engine.jpg (25 KB, 320x256)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>67808017
>what does this entail exactly? And why do they respawn?
Not him but I gotchu senpai.
Out of the Abyss, page 188.
It's a Modron artifact.
>>
>>67806642
Cantrips do about half as much damage as weapons for the entire game, what are you talking about?
>>
>>67808046
do you not have a group to play with? is this your first time DMing? or do you just legitimate want to play it solo? I can't stress enough that the module is not balanced for what you want to do. you will be getting a sub-par experience. it can absolutely be ran without "playing" it first, and many other games are better suited to solo play.
>>
>>67808024
>The creature can't regain hit points from this feat again until it finishes a short or long rest.
yikes bro
>>
>>67808071
And physical attacks are resisted by most of the Monster Manual, not counting the times martials can't even get close to their target or get locked down because they are the prime target for most encounters.
>>
File: capture3.jpg (51 KB, 498x595)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>67808090
You're not using the 1d6+4+Level heal, you're using the 1 HP heal.

Consider learning to read, bro.
>>
>>67805581
Oh yeah. "Hey I'm giving the monsters a +5 to hit against you and you only because I dislike your character. Aren't I a fair DM?"
>>
>>67808160
>this feat
Consider learning to read, bro. That encompasses both forms.
>>
>>67804848
There's nothing wrong with most multiclasses, they're usually sidegrades or make something that's ordinarily shit now viable.

Certain multiclasses are bullshit and I know which ones those are, so all I have to do is ask players what they intend to multiclass and unless they're being a shitter and know they're being a shitter I won't have to tell them 'no'.
>>
>>67808190
No it doesn't
>>
>>67808190
Okay, considering you have no understanding of how grammar works, let me inform you:

>When you use a healer's kit to stabilize a dying creature, that creature also regains 1 hit point.
>As an action, you can spend one use of a healer's kit to tend to a creature and restore 1d6+4 hit points to it, plus additional hit points equal to the creature's maximum number of Hit Dice. The creature can't regain hit points from this feat again until it finishes a short or long rest.
These are two separate bullet points. Do you understand what that means? They are individual abilities. You do not have to use both abilities at the same time. You can stabilize a creature and they will gain 1 hitpoint through the feat, but that does not trigger the second bullet point.

You should probably have been able to guess this, because there would be absolutely no point to the first bullet point existing if the second bullet point existed, other than if you wanted to only heal someone for 1 HP instead of full HP, like an enemy for interrogation.
>>
>>67808068
>they get to keep their equipment

Not a real groundhog's day loop, but whatevs.

I was thinking more like this: https://youtu.be/YS2KB_cFrTo
>>
>>67808244
You don't gain the 1 HP on stabilizing someone from any other class feature or spell, in this case.
'can't regain hit points from this feat again until short or long rest' seems pretty final and explicit. You cannot use either option on someone until they have rested.
>>
Looking for advice on an easy campaign to run for a level 6 bard and a level 4 Goblin Samurai. The bard likes to seduce and roleplay, the goblin likes to rollplay.
>>
>>67808295
why do you have only two players and why are they totally different levels
>>
>>67808295
Find two more players for official published campaigns.

Easy to run? Ghosts of Saltmarsh.
>>
>>67808161
Don’t tell them idiot, roll behind your screen. Do I have to spell everything out for you?
>>
>>67807626
FBI tip-line
>>
>>67808295
Storm King's Thunder has a mix of combat and roleplay.

Out of the Abyss if the bard is into weird stuff.
>>
>>67803238
I live in fuckoff nowhere, the nearest game store is 3 hours
>>
>>67808406
How is SKT? I hear it has some pacing issues - like, the module expects you to faff about a bit and travel far to complete some sidequests, but the main quest is presented with a lot more urgency.
>>
>>67808457
Levels 1-5 is terrible filler garbage meant to rush the players to level 5 for the real game
Past that you have one short section where a town is besieged by giants, then a long wandering section, and then you're locked onto the rails once you finish that until the end of the module
>>
>>67808457
>the module expects you to faff about a bit and travel far to complete some sidequests, but the main quest is presented with a lot more urgency.
I haven't played SKT, but ToA has this exact problem. I looked through the book after finished the campaign and there's a shit ton of stuff that we just never explored because the party is presented with such an urgent main quest.
>>
>>67808406
Out of the Abyss is quite hard and requires a lot of DM prep because many parts are not written at all, like the multiple travel sections they only give bad random encounter tables, or even their escape from the Underdark which is entirely up to the DM or even what they do on the surface since they have to gain a level up there somehow but there is nothing in the adventure to run in that downtime mid-campaign break.

There's no other way to describe it except as incomplete.
Also some parts of Out of the Abyss (Gracklstugh) are so poorly written you basically have to rewrite them yourself to make sense of things.
>>
>>67808294
So if you use fighter's action surge you can't use any of fighter's other abilities until a short rest???
>>
File: swordhiltcolor.jpg (214 KB, 725x764)
214 KB
214 KB JPG
I swear to god my DM and I figured out the most elegant solution to the magic item problem possible-

>Start campaign with magic, but fairly mundane background, weapon that has potential for further depths of power
>As campaign unfolds I unlock secrets about the weapon's past
>The more I unlock the more it grows in power
>Instead of worrying about finding new, more powerful loot, I'm instead looking for ways to upgrade what I already have
>>
>>67803466
Anything with 2 attacks. A fighter with Two Weapon Fighting is good at low levels, and AL gives you a full respec after a bit. Variant Human Fighter/Barbarian with Polearm Master is pretty good too. Monks get 2 attacks without a feat, but are less powerful and bulky.
>>
>>67808509
You gain the ability to restore one HP when stabilizing a creature from 'this feat.'
You also gain the ability to restore 1d6+4 HP to one creature using 'this feat.'
The creature can't regain HP from 'this feat' again until it finishes a short or long rest.
>>
>>67808295
The gob joined a bit later. It's a rural area without a lot of people interested in the hobby.
>>67808331
I'll try, but it's a miracle I have two.
Thanks though, I'll check it out.
>>67808406
Thanks anon. The Bard is weird, so she'll probably like it then. Though Storm Kings Thunder sounds fun from a quick glance.
>>
>>67803466
V. Human with either PAM, Fell Handed, Blade Master, or Spear Master
>>
>>67804421
RAW I think you need a Reach weapon to use BB/GFB at 10 feet, so no lasers
>>
File: Upgrading Items.png (668 KB, 488x936)
668 KB
668 KB PNG
>>67808510
This works well from my experience. Start off with a Common magic item that grows into a Legendary thing at the end. The only issue with this is that it heavily depends on what must be done to make the loot stronger.

Personally I like using these rules for Upgrading Items.
>>
>>67808510
That's called a "legacy weapon". It works great, as long as people don't want to switch weapon types.
>>
>>67808530
Great, you've worked out that if you use the 1d6+4 HP heal you can't use the 1 HP heal.
Doesn't stop the original deal with using the 1 HP heal over and over.
>>
>>67808606
They regain HP from that as well you stupid fuck
>>
>>67808548
Fell Handed and Blade?Spear Mastery are out. Adventurer's League doesn't allow Playtest Materials.
>>
>>67808486
>>67808457
People say that can be remedied by stitching lost mine of phandelver into SKT, using it instead of the level 1-5 content.
>>
File: terminator.gif (633 KB, 400x166)
633 KB
633 KB GIF
>>67808068
>>67807005

ah, very cool. So presumably the idea is to find the artifact, activate it and get the one where they go back in time, but by doing this they break the timeline and it's the marut's task to kill them since they shouldn't exist there? Should they continue to exist for too long the world starts to break, perhaps laws of physics start to break down and the planes start merging and so on, causing demons and aberrations and other things to spill forth? Is that maybe the idea? It basically presumes that it's not all a timeloop whenever someone timetravels, but rather it breaks the universe.
>>
>>67808672
>>67808672
The new Dragon of Icespire Peak looks decent for level 1-5.
>>
>>67808628
Fine, let me get you the big man to tell you you're an idiot.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2018/04/18/is-the-second-feature-of-the-healer-feat-intended-to-work-on-revive-unconscious-characters/
>>
>>67808700
I would assume that they already activated the artifact that sends them back. Stopping the apocalypse would free them from the loop.

Things could get weirder the more they loop.
>>
File: Minor Magic Traits.png (72 KB, 404x352)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>67808510
>>67808571
Oh and I'm also partial to making magic items that lead you to other magic items. Think like an equipment set in RPGS. You start off with a sword that will lead you to another piece of equipment via some quest and you eventually get all pieces of the puzzle for your magic gear.

These minor magic properties work well for this type of playstyle.
>>
File: 1527513627932.png (472 KB, 720x715)
472 KB
472 KB PNG
>>67808725
>ever actually using crawfish's tweets as an argument
pack it up boys he's reaching into the bottom of the barrel
>>
>>67808671
guess you're stuck with polearms then. I dunno, maybe you could salvage something interesting out of that, like a Druid 1 / Monk/Fighter X who uses a staff?
>>
>>67808510
Critical Role did something like that with the Warlock who could consume magic weapons and they upgraded his pact weapon.

I think finding loot is exciting too though
>>
>>67808761
ooh I like that. Like a pair of swords that constantly call out to one another.
>>
>>67808759
Okay. So the idea is that they knowingly used the artifact to give them a reset button, since they already know the apocalypse is coming? So they put themselves in that loop so they can try a suicide mission for instance over and over again until they get it right? But at the same time you keep the idea, as you say, to make the loop weirder and weirder the more they loop, so it's no that the world remains all the same. And in the middle of this, the marut comes and tries to kill the players since they shouldn't timetravel according to some rule or...?
>>
>>67808775
Please be aware that trolling outside /b/ is not allowed.
>>
File: 1406736222165.png (73 KB, 854x859)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
>>67808775
Either you're colossally retarded and still have no fucking clue,
Or you're only somewhat retarded and have decided to pretend to be retarded to cover up the fact you were retarded.
>>
>>67808803
oh sure, it's not something that I'd recommend for like, EVERYONE, but having a party member who has that option helps save on writing time for the DM. Now as it is I don't want anyone else's lame ass weapons (or armor, for that matter) because the gear I've already got is too important to my character to just discard.
>>
Do most DMs let you play the revised ranger from UA ? The regular ranger is lackluster, but revised actually has some nice things going for it
>>
>>67805117
It's not that hard man.
When traveling in the woods, take similar rules to the Nautical events
>One is the designated Navigator
>One is the designated Forager
>One is the designated Investigator for Plot relevant elements
>One is the designated Scout/Stealth Master
>>
File: Shifter.png (303 KB, 362x618)
303 KB
303 KB PNG
Is there any good art with 5e Shifters (by good I understand having five fingers/toes per limb.)
>>
>>67808827
Either the initial activation of the artifact that sends them back is relatively innocuous, a la Outer Wilds, or the party has convenient amnesia of the first couple of loops.

I actually just want to run a groundhog's day campaign with a looping mechanic like Outer Wilds. Memories and levels are kept across loops, but not equipment. Each loop is around a month.

There will be a nearby wizard's tower with the corpses of some higher level adventurers nearby the starting "wake up" spot. The tower is guarded by a reasonably tough golem and the tower has a teleportation circle so that the party can fast travel once they figure out how to defeat the golem. Easy way to skip past the boring start of the loop and get some better equipment once the Player's figure some stuff out.
>>
>>67808875
Revised Ranger + original builds or original ranger +UA/Xanax builds. You can't have everything.
>>
>>67808961
builds = subclasses?
>>
>>67805761

He doesn't have evasion yet, so AoE attacks. Also, I'd try to orchestrate a Donner party situation so he can have his moments keeping people alive, but outlander background doesn't means infinite food, so the area would get cleaned out of berries and I'd make it take time out of the day.
>>
>>67808867
Revised ranger is busted good. It gives the ranger more damage at early levels (which it doesnt need), little scaling (which it needs), and most DMs still ignore exploration (which makes a lot of its features useless). The spell list is still shit as well, with very few worth bothering with.
>>
>>67808983
Archetypes (original: hunter, beastmaster, UA: deep stalker, horizon walker, monster stalker, primeval guardian)
>>
>>67808961
Hunter much better than monster slayer though.
>Colossus slayer is a higher die size and doesn't use a bonus action, so you can start using it right from turn 1 combined with hunter's mark
>Doesn't get a shitty flavor feature that forces you to spend an action to get information that should be given to you with an int check before the fight.
>>
>>67809012
tbf, ranger should really get Fighting Style at level 1 rather than level 2.
>>
>>67808958
alright, I like the golem idea and amnesia would basically make it torment, which is fine I suppose. But how does the apocalypse fit into this and the marut and its motivation? I'm still a bit confused.
>>
>>67809073
No they shouldn't. Fighters get a fighting style at 1, the half casters get it at level 2.
>>
>>67809165
If you go with a groundhog's day idea, it doesn't need to be a marut. Just a "don't mess with the timeline" inevitable. The goal of your arc would probably be to escape from the time reset curse, a la groundhogs day, so that Mr. Resetti, the Inevitable, would leave them alone.

My groundhog's day campaign will have an apocalypse (the sun explodes after a month). I don't think I'll need a marut or an inevitable.
>>
File: 300px-Obligatum_VII.jpg (25 KB, 300x399)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>67809165
You could say the broke a primeval contract made by old gods by going back in time and attempting to stop the natural end of the universe. The Marut isn't naturally evil, it's just doing it's work.

In 3.5's "Elder Evils" there's a kolryaut Inevitable who realized the gods breached a contract by imprisoning Pandorym, a living weapon made to kill universes, so it sets out to free Pandorym from it's prison and might meet the adventurers in the adventure. Maybe you could give it a read and take something from there?
>>
>>67808875
Most do. But really, do not play gloom stalker + revised ranger even if your DM is retarded enough to allow it.
>>
File: 1557790974828.jpg (20 KB, 492x557)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Since golems are not affected by anti-magic fields, how would you beat a golem that is constantly surrounded by a portable anti-magic field that it carries around?
>>
>>67808521

Reading the AL guide--so I could play any character until the session during which I hit 5th level, and then essentially make any 5th level char I want? The only thing I have to keep is the name?
>>
>>67809370
punching it until it breaks?

Not being a wizard?
>>
>>67809377
yes. You keep the name because some DMs keep records which can be referenced.
>>
>>67809384
Golems are immune to non-magical weapons. Magical weapons turn mundane under anti-magic fields. Their resistances are bypassed by adamantine too but nobody ever carries those around.
>>
File: EB4TwXGW4AIjANs.png (439 KB, 680x424)
439 KB
439 KB PNG
I'm making purple worms a recurring theme in my Out of the Abyss campaign

They cannot be stopped, they'll just show up from time to time to remind the players who's really boss down there. It's like a hurricane on the surface, there's not much you can do except try to find shelter.

That way when they finally get to the part where they have to go to a Purple Worm lair later in the book, they should be truly terrified.
>>
>>67809370
The golem's non-magical weapon resistance is magical for as far as I know. I remember the flesh golem requiring magical rituals or some magical effects to grant it its resistance.

If you're homebrewing a portable anti-magic field which is thus probably a level 10 spell, you can homebrew things actually making sense.
>>
>>67809435
Grappling it, tying it up, and tossing it in a lake. XGE has rules for how high the DC is for escaping from ropes.

Dispelling the Antimagic field. Explosive crates. Burying it in an avalanche. AoE spells that have their origin outside the anti-magic field. Divine Intervention. Wish.
>>
>>67809435
Monk punching it to death with some adamantine knuckle dusters. All their unarmed attacks count as magical after a certain level too
>>
>>67809665
>>67809435
That's a good point. There are also certain other abilities that overcome it -

Devotion paladin's sacred weapon still functions in the antimagic field, but it becomes a non-magical weapon again. so it's effectively a +5 to hit non-magical weapon for whatever sense that makes.
But monk, monk is definitely, no matter how you look at it, overcoming that shit. The level 6+ monk's attacks are not magical - they 'count' as magical, meaning that anti-magic field does not suppress it.
>>
>>67809710
The devotion Paladins sword stops all of the effects. But a paladins improved smite still works.
>>
>>67805764
if youre doing lots of low level campaigns then i wouldnt play wizard much either because i would die to a stiff breeze and i dont have many fun spells to play with. at least sorcs have metamagic.
>>
>>67809338
Right, I think the simplest thing I can come up with is for them to find the artifact again and undo the timeloop from there. That would pose the question why the marut doesn't just show them where the artifact is or gives them the instructions of how to undo the loop, but I guess it would be enough for the marut that the party dies, and it's willing to keep doing it over and over...I guess? Maybe shaky logic.

>the sun explodes after a month
that sounds great, I think majora's mask has one of the coolest stories I've seen, so doing something similar in d&d would be really cool. Having sidequests that you do to gain exp/items/open up shortcuts in the loop, so checkpoints basically could be really fun and graitfying. Making sure the mayor's wife doesn't fall in the streets for the nth time so you can get invited to some party so you have easy access to the portal in the nearby court wizard's tower, or able to pick up the mayor's family divine sword so killing the demons in the caves become easy, that sort of thing.

>>67809344
>broke a primeval contract made by old gods by going back in time and attempting to stop the natural end of the universe
Right, this could explain why other people and creatures who have used high level time-related spells haven't suffered the same fate is because they didn't do it to prevent the apocalypse, where as if you did it with this knowledge you are breaking something. Or maybe simply add that limitation, that if the players use high-level spells like time travel or time stop then inevitables come after you.

>elder evils
will check it out, thanks.
>>
>>67809771
The fact that the devotion paladin's weapon is magical has nothing to do with its +CHA to hit, which is not treated as a magical effect or spell for the purposes of dispel magic or the like.
Improved divine smite does work as well, yeah.
>>
>>67809354
what's the catch? All I remember when our ranger played revised (not gloom) was that she could locate things with an exact precision and know exactly how many there were or something like that which felt a bit broken
>>
>>67805521
I like it.
>>
>>67809821
Both gloomstalker and revised ranger function like fixes to ranger. I wouldn't call them good fixes, but it'd be even worse to try to apply 2 janky fixes to buff a class to normal to the same character.
>>
>get an invite to a campaign
>GM says he's sorry but that invite was a mistake
>>
>>67808961
Well that doesn’t make much since, because the revised ranger UA also introduced the new archetypes that were eventually in Xanathars
>>
>>67809819
>antimagic field
>paladins magic still works

beyond cringe
>>
>>67810147
Deep stalker is a weaker version of gloom stalker.
>>
>>67810331
It's not magic. It doesn't say magic anywhere except, in sacred weapon's case, 'also the weapon becomes a magical weapon for the duration'
So it's just supernatural spookiness as far as abilities are concerned.
>>
I want to play a Knightly character, but I usually play casters, and my 1 melee experience is a Monk. How do I become a knight?
>>
>>67810379
Play a Fighter or Paladin with a chivalric oath. Use mounted combat. Take a noble background or something similar.
>>
>>67810379
paladin
fighter
barbarian
some sort of caster gish
what's the problem?
>>
How do I play pic related?
>>
>>67810049
>submit applications to campaigns
>get ghosted constantly, no responses even just to tell me that the game is full, not that I didn't make the cut
it's like yelling into the fucking void, why does it feel like i'm fucking job hunting when all I want to do is play a roleplaying game? feels like this hobby is a waste of fucking time sometimes.
>>
>>67810432
By buying a gun and shooting yourself.
>>
>>67810486
you should post an example of one of your applications, maybe we can help you figure out what's wrong
>>
>>67810432
From personal experience, I'd advise doing it somewhere temperate, because the top half of the costume is stuffy and the bottom half is chilly.
>>
File: 1465040235215.jpg (1.69 MB, 5000x5500)
1.69 MB
1.69 MB JPG
Just a quick reminder of elven superiority. It must be hard being any of the lesser races.
>>
>>67810489
This.
>>
>>67810379
Eldritch Knight is just the thing for you.
You can also do Paladin or even Cleric
>>
i'm trying to run a low magic campaign, so does this item sound okay:
>Shivershard: A flint handaxe, slathered in ancient dwarven protorunes painted in blue woad, emitting a freezing mist. Does 1d6 extra cold damage on a hit, however the user/carrier of this weapon suffers a -2 penalty on any dexterity based skill checks. Does not count as magical damage for bypassing resistances or immunities.
Idea is that instead of being magical in a sort of innate way, it's just VERY fucking cold all the time, for good or ill.
>>
>>67810489
No I mean like what class
>>
File: 1425376820614.jpg (97 KB, 510x546)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>67810648
*laughs in feat at level 1*
>>
>>67810679
Throw it in a chest with the meat from whatever creatures you hunt and you've got yourself a portable refrigerator.
>>
>>67810679
Magic so old it's a part of nature almost. Nice.
>>
>>67810648
Is it any wonder lesser beings gravitate to dwaves and humans?
>>
File: 1442608777784.png (87 KB, 270x370)
87 KB
87 KB PNG
>>67810648
>Elf: Can shoot you with a longbow instead of a shortbow for +1 damage and have 17 dex instead of 16
>Human: Attacks you 3 times in a round instead of 1 using polearms
>>
What is a good artisan tool proficiency for a folk hero to start with? Any that would be helpful for adventuring?
>>
File: cookie.gif (996 KB, 500x333)
996 KB
996 KB GIF
>>67810792
Cooking utensils gives extra health on short rests iirc.
>>
>>67810792
Cook's Utensils for that homemade goodness.
>>
File: 1534368626708.jpg (29 KB, 573x768)
29 KB
29 KB JPG
>>67810816
>>67810817
Based /ck/ hivemind
>>
>>67810816
>>67810817
Which dinosaurs in Chult make for the best eatin'?
>>
File: yamcha.jpg (60 KB, 1300x648)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>Rangers are the Yamcha of D&D 5e.
>Starts off good then gets outclassed later by everyone else and even has their abilities stolen later.
>>
File: 2015-06-221.jpg (450 KB, 650x688)
450 KB
450 KB JPG
>>67810850
They're all related to birds, ain't they? I'm sure they'll all taste great.
>>
>>67805544
Anyone?
>>
>>67810852
Revised ranger just steals abilities off of everyone else instead.
>>
>>67805521
>3rd
Unless it can be done as an attack rather than an action, Shadow Kick goes out of style as soon as you get your second attack. Monks don't hurt for movement, and +2 damage doesn't make up for the damage loss of only attacking once.
Force Ball is the same as just throwing a dart, and is worse after level 5, since at that point you can throw 2 darts.

>6th
Not broken as it is, but you really should pick 1, just to be more in line with existing subclasses. Also you should give them another proficiency if they already have persuasion

>11th
The 3rd level feature should be this by default. Open Hand is forcing Dex saves at level 3, and the Force Ball change might make it worth using over a dart

>17th
Drop the unarmed strike buff, it's kind of really strong.
Otherwise the parry is pretty sick, if a bit weak. If you get a 20 on the attack roll, you instead perform a fatality, killing the opponent instantly
>>
>>67810709
plan is to have it in a sort of barrow, filled with shitty nerfed skeletons (planning on making a point of saying their bones are rotted to shit). Then this axe would be found in a sealed coffin, along with the boss skeleton, who'd have better stats and that because he was essentially in a fridge for a couple thousand years.
>>67810777
that's what i'm going for :)
kind of wondering how to sort of keep going with that idea
>>
>>67810882
Farmers displaying prize hogs, pie-eating contests, dances with nervous youngsters, and sudden Cossack attacks.
>>
>>67805521
It's like drunken fist but even shittier
but at least unlike drunken fist it at least fits the flavour it's going for
>>
>>67811021
>>67811021
>>67811021
New thread.
>>
>>67810882
A boy is stabbed and his money is grabbed
>>
>>67811033
>BLACK'D-fag came back
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
>>
>>67811071
Kept you waiting, huh?
>>
>>67807626
Stfu player, you don't have to <<accept>> shit, if you don't like it just find another DM, it's his game.
>>
New to D&D, was thinking of a Trickery Cleric as my first character who pretends to worship Tymora (which explains the domain spells) but actually serves Leira. I like the idea but having trouble with character motivations, since Leira is the "lol idk" character. Would welcome input.
>>
>>67803472
Maybe, just hear me out here, you're the asshole
>>
>>67810694
>what class should Astolfo, a PALADIN OF CHARLEMAGNE, be?
Nigga.
>>
>>67808510
Yeah it's called an Heirloom.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.