[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1564663675775.jpg (287 KB, 1600x1566)
287 KB
287 KB JPG
previous thread >>67717455

pasta bin: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8

>Anybody Gencon this year?

>Favorite con story?

>What con are you looking forward to?
>>
first for wingspan is a below average game
>>
File: bird surfing.png (85 KB, 1000x1000)
85 KB
85 KB PNG
>>67795880
and yet not awful
>>
>>67795893
Are they still having supply issues with it? Good marketing by them
>>
Any Shadows of Brimstone players out there?
Fun times cowboying up with cthulu-esque monsters, currently trying to mutate a character to gain a prehensile tail for dual wielding targa plasma pistol and dark stone inlaid double barrel shotty
>>
>>67795868
Just downloaded the Race for the Galaxy app and the easy ai is kicking my ass. I'm having fun though.
>>67796139
I almost bought that today but instead got Blood Rage because it was cheaper (hopefully it's good).
How are you enjoying it? How long did it take to assemble all the figures? What are your complaints so far?
>>
>>67795868
>gencon
every year
>story
took niece to orc stomp, her immediate reaction was to be amazed that thin gamers existed at the con
>looking forward to
GrandCon or nothing til 2020
>>
>>67795893
For upwards of $45 you coulf buy four "not awful" games, anon.

Unless you're a hardcore egg fetishist and want those egg minis, Wingspan makes no sense.
>>
>>67796972
>How long did it take to assemble all the figures?

hours and hours, but it was my first time working with minis, honestly though I had a blast doing that, painting was the real chore for me.

Its a complete dice chucking extravaganza but being a cowboy getting to go on horror adventures with the possibility of some otherworld sci-fi thrown into the mix as well is right up my alley.

My main complaint is that it seems like a game best played with four characters to get the most effective combat combos, we usually just play two player and I find the stat tracking difficult enough that I don't want to try and run two characters.
>>
File: IMG_3180.jpg (1.81 MB, 3264x2448)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB JPG
>>67796972
this was probably the most complex assembly
>>
>>67797501
$45 anon is here again.
Might as well start a new thread as this one is about to go to shit.
>>
Fact : there is no excuse for low interaction in games. 99% of eurogames are worthless. Games are meant to be competitive, if you dont like it fuckoff to another hobby, like gardening
>>
>>67798129
Woah there watch out, Type A personality coming through
>>
>>67785104

Not the Anon you were talking to, but I can give you something of an explanation:

The Mind is too simple to be called a true "game", as it's a simple little acting exercise placed in a box: count as high as you can as a group, in order, without fucking up.

And the thing is that it seems like that's not something you can get better at without imposing a system, but, weirdly, you can. A group of people can struggle and fail, and then hit a stretch and somehow just "click" and vibe on timing together, taking turns and moving together.

From a scientific standpoint, it's probably something to do with micro-cues and unconscious timings, but in the moment, it makes you feel very relaxed and connected with the group in a way that's not quite like anything else, other than the thrill/surge of warmth that comes when someone knows you well enough to finish your sentences...spread over a group.
>>
>>67798129
Actual fact: In settings with three or more players, high degrees of player interaction makes the game less competitive, as the winner of the game is less likely to be decided by individual player skill and instead come down to things like collusion or another player's poor performance. This is why poker and marathons can work as competitive sports that feature more than two participants, but you don't see 3-player chess or, I don't know, 5-player volleyball.
>>
>>67798129
Low and subtle interactions like spot denial and emptying the general supply of a specific resource which are both low indirecte interaction can have huge impacts.

Anywau, Lisboa is my jam and that one has tons of interaction.
>>
>>67798297
No shit Watson, if you try to apply higher player count to games specifically designed for two opponents like chess or volleyball it looks stupid. Same as with games like COIN or Root that fall apart if you try to play them with 2.
>>
>>67798129

>fuckoff to another hobby, like gardening

No
>>
File: i dond ged id.jpg (15 KB, 307x462)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
I literally don't understand Skull at all.
I've watched the rules, I've watched people play it, I don't get why you would make any decisions that you're allowed to make at all in that game.
The entire concept evades my stupid brain. Why would I lay a skull? Why wouldn't I? Why the fuck would I guess?
>>
>>67798734

It's a simple bluffing game. You lay a skull to trick other players into flipping your skull or at least make it harder for them. You wouldn't if you want to win by guessing yourself because you have to flip your stack first. You guess because you want to win. Winning by being the last standing is usually rare, depending on the player group.
>>
>>67798590
>implying those games don't fall apart with more than two players either
wow you won because the other players suck at threat assessment, good job, very competitive
>>
>>67797913
Are you salty because I'm right and it hurts when the truth cuts through dumb rationalisations? Seems you are.

Marketing for boardgames is pretty slick nowadays, don't be the dupe.
>>
>Miniatures games? No thank you, that's childish, I prefer the elegant beauty of a meeple.
>>
>>67798129
You're confusing "competition" with "vicariusly living through fake violence because you're a pencil-necked dweeb in real life".

Russian Railroads is about as hardcore wrt competition as a game can get. In contrast, most ameritrash is dumb "lol, I rolled high and now the flavor text sez your head assplodes, bask in my dice-rolling skill, losers" bullshit.
>>
>>67798802
>you won because other players played less well
Whoa
>>
>>67798861
You sound poor anon.
It's ok.
Not everyone can afford good looking games with eye-catching aesthetics.

I love Lacerda games, and you are just being a troll magnet right now
>>
File: 1558225431525.png (2.07 MB, 1084x1178)
2.07 MB
2.07 MB PNG
>>67798861
>Not substituting minis and meeples with Conan miniatures in every game
>>
Winning a game by taking 5 minute turns looking at everyone else's boards and denying them the right to (thing) is shit gameplay. You should win because you go the log technology that got you more logs every time you want logs to build the house to god and get god points.
>>
play blood bowl
>>
Why is this thread so dead?
>>
>solo gaming
>>
>>67799635

That belongs in /v/
>>
>67782575
I know Hoyle is owned by the same company, but I'm pretty positive it had the Bicycle brand on it. Maybe it was printed before Hoyle was even a thing.
Wish I could post a picture of the book, but it most likely got trashed after gran died.
>>
>>67799694
Meant to reply to >>67782575
>>
>>67798734
No offense, but how can you possibly not get Skull. If you know the rules, just play it. It will make sense then. Very likely the answer to.your question "Why would I do X" is simply "bluffing"
>>
>>67798734
You know exactly what you play but can only guess wha tother people played, so you know how high you can safely bid but you're pushing your luck with any number higher than that, and you're trying to trick people into bidding high so they draw skulls and lose, and try to win low bids so you have a higher chance of drawing roses.
The game's all about the bantz, reading opponents to call out bluffs, assessing and mitigating risk and a big helping of luck in case you're bad at the former.
Also, it's a great drinking game since the rules are simple and you play with beer coasters.
>>
>>67799843
>>67799797
>>67798758
>>>67798734

I lose this game by trying to bluff people into bidding higher than me when I put down a skull, I would say 80% of the time
>>
File: quality post.jpg (41 KB, 500x286)
41 KB
41 KB JPG
>>67798129
>My opinions are facts!
>>
>>67796139
>>67797692
I've got a full mine cart pledge sitting next to me right now actually.

I still haven't put everything together, and have barely started painting. Taking my time and enjoying it though, it's my first time with mini's as well. I agree it's best played with 4 though, seems most balanced at that count.
>>
File: detective-png-bonus.png (121 KB, 450x450)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>Back first kickstarter in ages
>Succeeds, goes to pledge thing
>$32 shipping, for me in the US, shipping from the US
WHELP FUCKIN' FORGET THAT
>>
File: 1565134819550.png (219 KB, 640x501)
219 KB
219 KB PNG
Question for you, /bgg/:
>How important is artwork in a game?
I've always thought having good artwork is just icing on the cake, a bonus you don't really need. But as I've written in the last thread, there were a bunch of recent experiences that made me question my stance. I like terra mystica more than gaia project, even though gaia project without a question is the better game. But it is so unbearably ugly. I like Shogun a lot, but the art is so bland and unexcitingly beige that it really affects my "hunger" to play it. Meanwhile, I really love Madeira, which is a paper-thin theme VP salad game, but has a nice colourful board and components, which I feel really make the game better - or at least I am quicker to get it on the table.

Your thoughts?
>>
File: convulsion noises.jpg (298 KB, 1077x808)
298 KB
298 KB JPG
>>67799961
My thoughts are that bad artwork won't dissuade me from playing a great game but will dissuade me from playing a mediocre game.

But even more relevant is to split the question into three:

Does artwork affect your...

1) purchase of games?
2) decision to play/'try new' games?
3) enjoyment of a game?

I'm definitely affected in the 1st and 3rd question.

The 2nd I'm unsure of simply because I wouldn't remember all the games I've passed on purely by their looks. I can think of a lot of games that don't entice me with their artwork but that's usually combined with the fact that I know about the game already and that it's probably not for me.

The latest example of 1) is Millenium Blades. There was a usedcopy available on an online market. I already enjoy BattleCon so I looked it up. I was pretty turned-off by the artwork and decided I didn't need it. Another example is Clans, which I was interested in last year but was turned-off by the board-design. Then a used copy was available and I researched a bit and thought 'Hell yeah this sounds interesting and unique!'

My two best example of 3) is Nations and Cosmic Encounter.

Nations' gameplay is alright but fucking hell the artwork couldn't be more bland and soulless. The resource tokens are BY FAR the ugliest and clunkiest I've ever seen. TTA has a solid spot in my collection with superior artwork and overall design while Nations I let go off a few months ago.

And on the flip-side Cosmic has overall terrific artwork that makes the game much more immersive than it has any right to be. Primarily it's the the totally bizarre and unique creature-designs that does it for me but the design of the planets and the Warp really improves the game's table-presence with all the vibrant colors.
>>
>>67799961
Good artwork is a quality, but it's not a priority, and it won't save a bad game.
Bad artwork is offputting, but not a dealbreaker if the game is good.
>>
>>67799396
Get gud at Architects of the West Kingdom scrubadoobadoo!

>>67799599
Only shit games as of late.
Will get fixed as soon as Black Angel, On Mars and Court of the Dead arrives.

>>67800374
But anon, Nations is a ton more streamlined. Vlaada even helped them make Nations.
I have both TTA and Nations, but I can only bear TTA on the app because the downtime is horrendus if you play with more than 2.
>>
File: Ascension Art.jpg (196 KB, 1024x768)
196 KB
196 KB JPG
>>67799961
>>67800374
To continue, a simple question /tg/...

Do you like Ascensions original artwork?

I ask simply because I've read a lot of differing opinions on it. Personally I love it but I can see why people would describe it as lazy, ugly or uninspiring. I on the other hand would describe games such as Imperial Settlers the same way. You could call it an 'overload of polish' while Ascension is very 'un-polished'.

It has its similarities with Nations with the muted colors, pencil style, soft edges and overall lack of fine detail. But what I think does it for me is its unique theme and grittiness. It's like a mix of steampunk and dark fantasy through an expressionistic lens that I haven't seen anywhere else.
>>
File: comparison.jpg (183 KB, 700x490)
183 KB
183 KB JPG
>>67800559
A comparison of style between the original and the revised artwork.
>>
>>67800582
>>67800559
It's charming.
>>
>>67800374
I'd say 1 and 3 for sure. Exactly as you saidy I was looking into millenium blades and was put off by the artwork (though also by how combat works, seemed very underwhelming). Cant really say much to 2 since my brother and me usually buy the games in our group. But I wouldn't dismiss a game someone brought purely from the art, but would if it was at a convention or similar.
>>
>>67800559
>>67800582
Funnily enough, I find the "original" artwork charming in a way, but the overall design to be a bit... anemic. I am a bit like a child in the sense that I like games to be colourful and peppy, and the overall card design (not the artwork itself, the layout, font and colouring of the cards)l seems ugly to me.

I like the revised version more, but more because of the better contrast and layout than the art itself. Shame they did what seemingly everybody does nowadays and made the flavourtext way worse and shorter.
>>
>>67800559
Yeah, i liked the old artwork. The chalky style gave it the soul that most card games lack nowadays.
>>
>>67800422
>But anon, Nations is a ton more streamlined. Vlaada even helped them make Nations.
>I have both TTA and Nations, but I can only bear TTA on the app because the downtime is horrendus if you play with more than 2.

Streamlined and boring.
I don't care much for downtime if the game isn't engaging. Nations is just overall way too formulaic for my taste.
They removed tension with the redesign of war and aggressions/raids.
They traded the intricate design of the Action-mechanic for bland euro-resources that you collect and spend.
They traded the River, which functioned both as a timer and a market, with a set number of rounds and a fixed market.
They traded the function and inherent design of the fixed Age-decks with larger decks that you only partially use every game, making the game more random and varied. Whether the randomness is for the good or worse is debatable, but I think more for the worse because the random distribution of cards (and it is very random if you don't house-rule the ratio of cards to be placed) cannot simulate the designed power-balance of TTA's decks and the weight behind the choices you're presented with when you, for example, deny the last Iron Mine in Age 1 from your opponents.

The fact that Vlaada was involved isn't an argument and doesn't change my critique of the game. I'm not a real fan of his style anyway.
>>
File: nippon vs madeira.jpg (440 KB, 1824x685)
440 KB
440 KB JPG
>>67799961
To illustrade an example, Nippon and Madeira were created by the exact same team of designers and artist and use pretty much the same mechanics. Nippon even came out later.
And look at the boards. Nippon probably is the better game, seeing how it is pretty much the second iteration of their design - and yet, I'd much, much rather play Madeira, simply because it looks more pleasing.

I find this rather strange, seeing as how I've always thought I'm drawn to mechanics and not art, but as written above, I've come to realize that this is not always strictly the case.
>>
>>67800852
The game on the right looks like the designers ate to many Skittles and now they're "Shitting the rainbow"...
>>
>>67795868
>>Anybody Gencon this year?
Some friends of mine did, but I did not.

>>Favorite con story?
First time I went to Gen Con my friend warned me about Fa/tg/uys with horrendously bad personal hygiene. Think he's exaggerating badly. We go to the game auction area. Someone's B.O. is so bad that people are gagging and trying not to vomit due to the stench. It literally smelled like someone had week old road-kill that had been rotting in the heat hidden in their clothes. It was amazingly vile. And the stench lingered for a good 10 - 15 minutes after the person left the area.

>>What con are you looking forward to?
While I like PAX East, I'm looking forward to hitting PAX Unplugged again in Philly this year. It's a solid venue where they host the event, and there is ton of excellent food at reasonable prices and other attractions all within easy walking distance of the event location.
>>
I enjoy Catan, Avalon & Dominion, what other board games can you recommend?
>>
File: 51kaLFBYbWL._SX466_.jpg (59 KB, 466x494)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
About to play this for the first time with a Buddy of mine. How hard is it to learn the rules in one sitting? I wish there was a physical rulebook that I could have read before hand, but it seems you learn through the dumb application.
>>
>>67800582
looks like SOUL vs SOULLESS to me

>>67800559
If I ever bought this game I'd look for an original printing. Thanks.
>>
>>67801242
>Real-time games
>App-based games
Yeah, it's cancer
>>
File: 1563540615362.jpg (44 KB, 479x640)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
What was the game that implemented Battle Star Glactica's mechanics in a allegedly better way?
I remember having heard that, but I forgot which game
>>
>>67801284
While I agree, I love the theme and general gameplay pitch

Let's see how cancerous it is though. I hate timed turns...
>>
>>67801242
Not at all. I played it once, arguably the scientist is the easiest role to play, but it's really easy.
If you feel unsure about it, you could always watch a video tutorial, there's one out there for sure.
>>
>>67800914
I do agree, but I think it's also the high contrast on the photo. Just took the first thing that came up.
>>
>>67801383
I hope so, otherwise that's an obnoxious choice of colors.
>>
>>67801167
Talisman
>>
>>67801286
Dark Moon?
>>
>>67800852
>simply because it looks more pleasing.
Anon, it looks more childish. (I have news for you, buckle your diaper.)
>>
>>67801671
>Dark Moon
That's it
Thank you, anon
>>
>>67799917
What’s in the mine cart pledge?
>>
>>67795880
I just played it for the first time, it did feel like a below average entry-level eurogame/engine builder for girls. I do like the bird feeder dice roller though.
>>
>>67800802
TTA is better designed in the sense of how many gears are getting turned for each action. I love that. Which is why I love Lisboa, BUT Lisboa is much less fiddly, just like Nations.
The fiddlyness of TTA and the amount of downtime is putting me off, even though I love the app.

But now, Lisboa has removed them all, so I dont really care.
I just had a better time with Nations than TTA if I exclude digital experiences.
>>
The only con I give a shit about is UK Game Expo, which a) already happened and b) I didn't want to buy many board games there this year.
>>
>>67801795
I'd still rather have madeiras artwork. Just because we are adults doesn't mean childish things can no longer be fun. If you actually want to brand something as childish just because it's colourful.
>>
File: 1563300369827.gif (131 KB, 800x1001)
131 KB
131 KB GIF
Enlighten me why I should visit conventions. Not that I'm that opposed to it, it would just mean taking days off and probably bei g stressed a lot. And from what I've heard, Conventions can be summarized in loud, busy and smelly which doesn't seen like a great atmosphere to enjoy games.
>>
>>67801242
>app supported
At this point, why not simply play X-Com the videogame? App games just confuse me, I play board game in the first place to tear my face away from the monitor
>>
What are the best games for sitting around a table shooting the shit and drinking. Something that doesn't take too much brain power.
Love Letter is our current pick but it's getting old.
>>
>>67802520
I agree. Best I can guess is that it makes it easier to implement an AI for coop games so you don't need to have an antagonist player to take nor create cards or components to implement that AI manually.
>>
>>67803094
For Sale
Coup
Incan Gold
>>
>>67803259
Oh, and No Thanks is great for banter and fucking over friends.
>>
>>67800987
>First time I went to Gen Con my friend warned me about Fa/tg/uys with horrendously bad personal hygiene. Think he's exaggerating badly. We go to the game auction area. Someone's B.O. is so bad that people are gagging and trying not to vomit due to the stench. It literally smelled like someone had week old road-kill that had been rotting in the heat hidden in their clothes. It was amazingly vile. And the stench lingered for a good 10 - 15 minutes after the person left the area.
I warn new people every year, and they don't believe it until they get that first hit of con funk. Back when Gencon was the size of origins at 30k people or so, they'd have legit swag bags with free shit in them, for like 3-4 years in a row it included deodorant and/or axe body spray, because anything is better than the stale sour stench you get walking through the expo hall.

>>67802393
Big cons are usually a push, the upside is you get to try games you might not regularly, and the auctions/consignment stores are fantastic, especially if you're not limited to just board gaming. But they are crazy expensive if you don't have housing, and just the badge + event tix are getting out of hand.

Small/mid size cons however are fantastic. They're all over the country, anywhere from 100-3000 people, same benefits, way less stink, and usually anywhere from free to $40 for a weekend. The vendors aren't as big, but honestly with internet sales there's no real loss there anymore. Depending on your location there's likely also 2-3 cons a year which you could do for the cost of a single Gencon/Origins/UKGE/Spiel trip
>>
What's a good introductory area control game and what's the next baby step after that? I'm trying to work my group up to Twilight Imperium slowly but surely.
>>
>>67804682
I like to use Small World, but I know it hasn't aged well for many people.
>>
>>67804682
El Grande. Easy to learn, knife fight in a phone booth, no dice rolling so you don't feel screwed over by Lady luck.
>>
>>67804682
>area control intro
World's Fair 1893, plays fast and it's really simple to teach
>baby step after
>>67804818
do this and then you're good forever, El Grande did it best
>>
>>67804682
El Grande
Cyclades with Titan expansions
Battle for Rokugan
Eight minute Empire
>>
>>67798129
>doesn't realize how competitive gardening is
my aunt gardens and she makes steev look like a co-op pansy when it comes to getting a feature
>>
>>67799867
>I lose this game by trying to bluff people into bidding higher than me when I put down a skull, I would say 80% of the time
protip: stop doing that
>>
>>67800582
It also looks like the left was done with pencil or marker, and the right was done digitally.
>>
>>67801671
Is it actually better than BG?
>>
>>67797501
>Unless you're a hardcore egg fetishist and want those egg minis
haha
>>
>>67798861
>>
>>67804682
Anyone here played Rattus? It's hard to find fora a reasonable price and I've heard it's a good area control game, similar to El Grande.
>>
>>67800374
>Does artwork affect your...
So I kickstarted Space Explorers and its' a great game, but it was very on the expensive side and I always have a bad taste in my mouth over the reuse of art assets- they basically took all the overfunded KS burgers and just slapped the same image on each type of card, then zoomed in to make three versions. Everyone who plays comments and it's really sad because it's overall, and otherwise a decent solid game- but the chincy fucking art bullshit is just sad.

Otherwise no, I like good art but I try to separate artistic design from mechanics design in evaluating a game.
>>
>>67802393
what game is in the second frame?
>>
>>67805567
Yeah, it's a great game.
>>
>>67805591
Spirit island
>>
>>67804818
It's very fickle as concerns player count, and mostly out of print.

Rattus is similar and plays great with many player counts.
>>
>>67805570
>it was very on the expensive side
Are you American? You were gypped, the art is limited because it was sold for cheap in other countries. ($15 should be the max MSRP.)
>>
Is the expansion for Root any good?
Thinking of getting a copy, I like the base game well enough but the fact that they put it out at launch just rubs me the wrong way.
>>
>>67805620
>mostly oop
Devir, a Spanish publisher still prints it. I found their 20th anniv Big Box for $60.
>>
I was in the mood for a two-player game so I went ahead and ordered Omen: A Reign of War and everything else Omen related that's available based on what I read of Space-Biff's reviews. Anyone here played it? Anyone have less than glowing reviews?
>>
>>67805620
>Oop

The big box is relatively new and available everywhere. Might be different in the US but I believe you'll get it in most of Europe no problem.
>>
>>67805620
>It's very fickle as concerns player count, and mostly out of print.
>Rattus is similar and plays great with many player counts.
Having played both, Rattus left the collection after about a year, el Grande is still there. Rattus isn't bad, the role selection is fun. But El Grande is fine 3-5 players. Rattus caps at four without expansions, which are oop. Ive seen El Grande at Flgs, and I'm not aware of it being as out of print as it used to be a decade ago where secondhand copies skyrocketed in price.
Not that OP areacontrol anon should dismiss rattus, it's fun, but I found el Grande tighter. Using the power cards at the right moment to grab a perfect pay and shiv someone was more satisfying than nabbing a role repeatedly just because it got left out at turn order. Which reminds me, rattus has turn order weaknesses while el grande does not. How to play out your 13 action cards for priority is to to you, and you know how things resolve going into that selection.
>>
File: 1563590919403.png (375 KB, 1026x863)
375 KB
375 KB PNG
>>67805591
Whatgameisthis anon, was that you?
>>
>>67805017
>my aunt gardens and she makes steev look like a co-op pansy when it comes to getting a feature
This anon knows.
Rose and orchid competitions are no fucking joke.
And gardening is very satisfying. Wife and ex colleagues that live in countryside have got me into it. Reaping the rewards of your own labour is a marvel and you can garden in the day, game at night.
>>
File: IMG_20190730_121929.jpg (2.96 MB, 6024x3742)
2.96 MB
2.96 MB JPG
>>67796972
>>67796139
Im playing with my group of friends, we are a party of four (1 marshall. 2 gunslingers & 1 saloongirl) and get p´plenty of fun.
My character is´a mutating marshall who sold herself completely to the dark power of darkstone.
Work in progres with the minis
>>
File: IMG_20190801_220953.jpg (2.09 MB, 4608x2304)
2.09 MB
2.09 MB JPG
>>67806944
>>
File: 46096.jpg (91 KB, 1118x686)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>67806944
>>
File: 1.jpg (1.84 MB, 4608x2304)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
>>67807078
>>
Can I no longer get 7th continent from the kickstarter? Can you only get it from ebay now?
>>
File: Ogreheug.jpg (1.23 MB, 1632x1016)
1.23 MB
1.23 MB JPG
Played some Ogre this weekend. Was good. Technically a wargame I guess but it came in a board game box, so...
>>
>>67806055
>Which reminds me, rattus has turn order weaknesses while el grande does not.
That's not a weakness, that's a feature. Manipulating board state to end the game at the *exact* right moment is like 50% of the skill in the game and great fun.

That said, I mostly play two players and Rattus is great with two, El Grande not so much.
>>
>>67807283
Well shit, I guess I gotta pay the price for being late.
For those who've played it, is the base game worth it or should I get an explanation? The base game will probably be $200+ so what's another $50, right? Should I just wait?
>>
Whats the best dungeon crawler currently on the market?
>>
>>67799469
>unironicaly giving gw money
>>
>>67807611
>Manipulating board state to end the game at the *exact* right moment is like 50% of the skill in the game and great fun.
That's fine. I'm talking about the classic problem in many games where X player acts before Y. If Y needs a specific role to win and X goes before Y and picks the desired role, that's not good game design, but turn order BS that has fucked Y over. Player agency is lost due to arbitrary seating arrangement, and that leaves a sour taste in my mouth. It was garage in Puerto Rico, is still garbage now.
El Grande gets around that with the power cards.
I totally agree with you that rattus makes for a better two player game. Would never recommend el Grande for a player looking to mostly play it at 2-3.
>>
>"The Big"
>>
>>67808070
>The Big Big Box
>>
>>67808112
>The big box virgin vs the small box chad
>>
>>67807395
Not all wargames are miniature games, in fact most aren't.
>>
Shovel knight kickstarter is back up
>>
>>67807862

Gloomhaven probably.
>>
>>67808829
Couldn't get into it.
>>
>>67807862
Gloomhaven if you want puzzly puzzly euro-inspired Crawler.

Sword & Sorcery if you want more in the traditional sense

Shadows of Brimstone and Kingdom Death Monster are way to random to be anything more than just experiences to create a story.

Too Many Bones is just a series of 4x4 grid combat encounters with basically no story. Cool mechanics though with the dice as skills.

Level 7 Omega Protocol is by far the best 1vsAll.

Secret Unknown Stuff: Escape From Dulce is kinda in the same way as Shadows of Brimstone, very random, but its a story generator.

Zombicide is pure simple pew pew, not much else. Fun with casuals where you just want to kill stuff and not think too much.

Nemesis is awesome, but not sure I'll label it as a crawler, even though it's in somewhat in the same category as Gloomhaven where you use cards to move, attack, loot etc, so yeah, I put them in the same category.

TLDR: Top games
Gloomhaven
Sword & Sorcery
Nemesis
Omega Protocol
>>
>>67806944
you know you don't have to paint left to right you know?
>>
>>67805266
>>67801286
>>67801671

No. It's easier to get to the table.

The expansion might heighten the experience on par with BG but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. The fact that it introduces amputation sounds funky.
>>
>>67799961
high priority only if buying, but I'll join any game
>>
>>67809032
Thoughts on mistfall heart of the mists?
>>
>>67804682
I liked small world quite a bit
>>
File: OGRE - micro game.jpg (94 KB, 361x500)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
>>67807395
>Played some Ogre this weekend.
Do you even lift bro?

>Was good.
Definitely has a lot of depth for a basic war game that came out in the late 1970's.

>Technically a war game I guess but it came in a board game box, so...
Not 'technically' a war game - it is specifically a war game, of the classic 'Hex & Chit' variety that has been around for decades. Hell, I've got a copy of Tactics II that came out in 1958 and uses a square grid rather than hexes but is otherwise a classic 'war game in a box'. OGRE helped create the 'micro game' (i.e. gate-way to gaming bait) trend in the late 70's and early 80's where complete war games came in a medium sized zip-lock bag.
>>
>>67809206
Havent played Mistfall, Folklore or Middara yet.
>>
>>67809363
>tfw couldn't convince brother to let me have his unpunched 2nd printing from 1978 despite his not really wanting it
>he got into the 10 v 1 ogre against Steve Jackson this year
>it's now a signed unpunched copy
At what point is it immoral to NOT have him killed?
>>
>>67809852
Did your parents name him Abel?
>>
>>67809852
Man, what I'd give for a timeline in which the bard reviews boardgames

>Ogre
Is it even remotely playable? Doesnt seem to me like it would have aged well.
>>
>>67809983
>Is it even remotely playable?
It's still quite popular and playable, it definitely has some older wargame/ameritrash heritage there, but that only means people allergic to seeing dice on the table should avoid.
>>
What 5-6 player game should I get?
>>
>>67805729
For my money the riverfolk is the most interesting faction out right now. Lizards are neat but not too dissimilar from the alliance.
>>
File: 1545245000944_01.png (156 KB, 310x342)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>67810502
Imperial
>>
File: ogre-photo-1.png (63 KB, 500x197)
63 KB
63 KB PNG
>>67810149
>>Is it even remotely playable?
>It's still quite popular and playable
There's a reason this game came out in 1977 / 78 and was still able to raise over $900,000 on KS back in 2011 with the 'Designer Edition' box, and not because it's a poorly designed game.
>>
>>67810700
Yup, hence my desire for fratricide
>>
>>67810502

Strategy Games

Game of Thrones The Board Game 2nd Ed
Omega Protocol
Dark Moon or Battlestar Galactica
Dune reprint
Mare Nostrum with expansion

Party games

Sheriff of Nottingham
Escape Curse of the Temple
Codenames
For Sale
Mascarade
>>
Do any of you have experience with the digital versions of Scythe and Terraforming Mars? I feel like trying them out before getting them physically but I also don't want to sour my first experience because of bad coding or bad ui.
>>
>>67798297
In fairness, a lot of games can allow high interaction without kingmaking. **51st State** comes to mind as something that enables this directly. Sure, you can all raze my shit - but I've drawn so many cards and have so many bricks that you're just rolling the dice and hoping I don't rise from the ashes stronger than before.
>>
File: 1460501733743.png (73 KB, 674x442)
73 KB
73 KB PNG
What's the best game of 2018?
>>
>>67811280
Razing is just giving away VPs
also you can't keep bricks between turns, you know that right? I mean if your shit's all razed you'll lose all brick production and storage if you had any outside the single brick the one faction gets.

>>67811328
Dinosaur Island
>>
>>67799961
I am a lot less forgiving if a game has bad artwork, and it's much easier to get into it if something looks good. I know it shouldn't make a difference, but it does.
>>
>>67811328
Root or At Any Cost: Metz 1870
>>
>>67810502
Here I Stand
>>
How do i get into board game design? Ive got the first iteration of the ruleset ready, but i don't know where to get parts to make a prototype from
>>
>>67807283
they're printing a retail copy in the near future ,go totthe serious poulp website for details, also coming out with a new game, 7th citadel which is supposed to implement the same mechanics in a new setting, maybe we'll get a second edition ruleset that alleviates some of the resource management isssues
>>
>>67811976
>retail copy in the near future
Thank god
>7th citadel
Should I keep my eye on kickstarter or the website?
>>
>>67811951
Paper and wood cubes work for a prototype
>>
>>67811951
meeplesource.com
other games modern games
MB era games
lego
rolled up balls of colored paper
coins
buttons
any of a bajillion other things
>>
>>67811328
Spice Road was last year right? I still play the shit out of that.
>>
>>67811328
Would have to be Brass:Birmingham and Architects of the West Kingdom for me.
The former is the better one of the two but I find myself playing Architects a lot more.
>>
File: boifs.png (972 KB, 1552x873)
972 KB
972 KB PNG
Guys why didn't this fix Munchkin? It made it more complicated with all this stack bullshit.

Also it's out at Target.
>>
>>67811258
Never played the digital scythe myself, but it has been mentioned in old threads before that it is bad or at least does not leave the best impression.
>>
>>67811258
I played Digital Scythe once, it was okay. Took me a while to get where some of the controls are because I'm more used to the physical board.
Also couldn't work out how to look at the AI's boards which was annoying at first.
I lost in the end but will probably play it again sooner or later.
>>
File: hb1.jpg (89 KB, 748x627)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>67811328
I liked Hardback. Everdell looked good too, but I never got around to trying it.
>>
>>67812964
Ah, uh, anon...
>>
what were you guys' introduction to the more involved side of boardgaming?
>>
>>67813719
TI3 and Dominant Species, after getting bored of Catan my group headed to a FLGS and bought them purely because the boxes looked cool.
>>
>>67813719
What do you mean?
I got introduced to TI3 through a mate in the college's card game/role playing club, but explored euros and trash stuff myself through written reviews in the late 00s.
For heavier stuff like Eklund and Splotter, that only happened this past year or two through /bgg and a friend I got into the hobby that has bee-lined for the heavier shit. Never did much exploration of hex and chits games, but enjoy twilight struggle and would love to someday explore COIN and beyond.
>>
I played with the automa on Scythe for the first time today. It was very cool how they did it. However, it feels like a completely different game. I played on normal difficulty and lost 45 - 60. I placed only 1 star and it felt really rushed like I had no time to do anything. Albeit most of this can probably be attributed to me sucking, I don't know really what to do about the automa getting to 6 stars so quickly. Any suggestions?
>>
>>67813975
Oh and very early on in my intro to the hobby my FLGS had a great employee that helped my gf and I pick up some fantastic titles. Got us into galaxy trucker, neuroshima hex! and Dominion (it had just come out, and nobody could get enough of that design).
Was a combo of my own curiosity, friends that opened my eyes, and that one very amiable store clerk.
>>
Too Many Bones came in the mail today, excited to break it out this weekend
>>
>>67814019
I'd recommend starting on Autometta difficulty so you can get your bearings and figure out the flow of the solo game. Only go up a difficulty when you win.
I've found you have to be much more aggressive than in a multiplayer game. Every time you attack one of the automa's spaces you're denying it both victory points and more avenues to expand. You need to hit both it's combat and worker units to try and bottle neck them into a region of the board where their movement options won't get them anywhere good. Taking the popularity hits are worth it as If you just let them spread they'll take over half the board and there's no way you'll win.
Aside from that you'll just have to play more to get better at optimizing your actions. Because of how quickly they progress you can't waste a single turn.
My first couple games I lost but after 10 or so plays I can beat hard probably 60% of the time.
>>
>>67801242
>>67801284
>>67801307
>>67802520
Just got back from playing it and boy... what a complete pile of shit. I hated the experience we got out of it, but mostly because my tablet died just after the tutorial turned the game over to us to play. I hadn't anticipated that running it on "pretty" mode would demolish my surface pro's battery so quickly, we basically kept it running the whole time in the background while we learned. Fuck app piloted games, this is the last one I blindly trust without playing it myself first.

Gameplay wise the game is absolutely brutal and totally simplistic while doing so. Combat isn't tactical at all, more like a game of matching shapes. Totally takes the fun away from the X-Com tactical sense. I will try it again in solo mode to be absolutely sure I don't like it, but I'm fairly certain I did not like anything I saw in that tutorial.

4/10 rating, would not recommend.
>>
>>67814312
Thanks! Have you ever tried playing with another human with the automa? I imagine it might be okay if you use the hard/very hard difficulty and tweak some of the scoring for the automa.
>>
>>67813449
Why is it so expensive it's just fucking cards.
>>
>>67812041
pretty sure it'll end up on kickstarter, but I imagine they'll post on their website too, so I would watch that since searching Kickstarter is shit
>>
>>67812041
my, bad their website doesnt have shit about it, Here's the highlights from their last Kickstarter update

> The 7th Continent “Classic edition”

For months now, we’ve been receiving daily an influx of messages asking if The 7th Continent will be available again in the future, as well as alerting us about the rampant speculation on the subject on the second-hand market.

Given the cost of producing the game, it still isn’t feasible to offer a version that can be distributed via traditional means. However, we have thought long and hard about if it really wasn’t possible to propose it to these players that only discovered Kickstarter, or board gaming in general, too late to take part in the campaigns. Of course, this would have to be a more “limited” version of the game and one that would be sold directly in order to maintain an “acceptable” price point.

By excluding all the “Kickstarter Exclusive” content (plastic figures, exclusive cards, magnifying glass, etc.) and only keeping the “essential” components of the game, we’ve managed to assemble a “Classic Edition” that will be release in the 4th Quarter, in English and French.
>>
File: 7thcitadel.jpg (81 KB, 700x350)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>67815218
>The 7th Continent adventure is coming to an end… but our desire to keep exploring and pushing all the possibilities offered by this system is not. Therefore, in parallel to following-up the end of production, we’ve started working on a new game based on the same system. It’s with great pleasure that we’re please to present The 7th Citadel. The 7th Citadel will take place in a new unique "Dark Fantasy" world whose gameplay will be significantly enhanced compared to that of The 7th Continent.

>The game will be coming to Kickstarter in 2020 to allow us to continue its development and prepare a campaign that we hope will be just as exciting as those of The 7th Continent!
>>
Played Hanabi tonight and this game is fuckin easy. 24 points first try. Why do people like this game?
>>
>>67810502
Twilight Imperium 4
A Game of Thrones The Board Game 2nd ed
Rising Sun

All 3 works at 5-6 with fast turns.
A Game of Thrones goes really fast because everyone places orders at the same time then resolves them in player order according to order type.
>>
>>67815385
>TI
>good

nice bait
>>
>>67810502
Wallenstein
>>
File: djdykufl.gif (3 MB, 500x207)
3 MB
3 MB GIF
>>67815384
>>
>>67815384
Hell is other people
>>
>>67810837
>>67815385
Are you both seriously recommending that piece of shit Game of Thrones 2nd Ed.? You're both retarded.
>>
>>67810502
Kemet is the only one you need
>>
>>67810502
Sword of Rome and Dominant Species are great.
>>
>>67815384
Just blatant enough, but beautiful.
>>
>>67814789
I've had a couple games with 2 players + an automa. For my own personal taste I would really only go with normal difficulty as hard/very hard ends the game too quick for me and I'd prefer to flesh out a longer game when I get the chance to play with others. This means that the automa will usually come last but I like thinking of it more as an obstruction to the players rather than another player itself.
Playing solo vs 2 or 3 automas is also very fun. I usually just go for normal difficulty here as letting the game go longer creates some really interesting situations between the AI's. It also feels a lot more like real opponents where you're not constantly balls to the wall trying to quell their expansion as the automas fight amongst themselves a bit.
>>
>>67815384
I needed that. Thanks Anon you have no idea how good that felt.
>>
>>67801167
Carcassonne, Star Realms, Kingdom Builder, Tiny Epic Kingdoms
>>
>>67815399
>>67815653
>Durr I cant into diplomacy because I lack social skills

>>67815688
Get ready for a game where everyone is just scouring the Tile explanation sheet doing nothing.
>>
Which games have the biggest depth:footprint ratio? Excluding abstracts, I do own a mini chess set that fits in a pocket
>>
>>67813719
Catan

>>67815653
GoT is fun as fuck if you're not a salty bitch and are able to plan ahead more than 5 minutes.
>>
I want to like Scythe but it's too slow.
>>
>>67817069
Anon its okay to dislike Stoneshit. Just play Gaia Mystica instead of this confused amerieuro frankenstein.
>>
Anybody try cloudspire yet?
>>
>>67795944
>a game no one expected to sell very much breaks the market
>retards lol, I'm not jealous lol
>>
>>67804682
Ahnk Morpork
>>
>>67817650
> a Stonemeier (c) boardgame (c)
> not expected to sell very much
Anon, you're retarded enough to deserve to play Wingspan for the rest of your life.
>>
File: 1564559502762.jpg (33 KB, 375x534)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>67817677
>I don't know the very basics boardgame marketing nor listened to any podcasts by Jeremy Stonemeier or by the girl who designed the game

I have yet to actually play the game, but I thought I would just take a moment to laugh at you.
>>
>>67817694
>unironically likes SM games
>animefag
>trapfag
Checks out
>>
File: blueprints.jpg (27 KB, 255x345)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
Anyone here have Blueprints?
My sister is an engineer and I think it would be fun for her. Also just fun as in a resource denial game.
>>
>>67813719
Catan made me want to play with wood bits.
Murdering my friends in Betrayal made me want unique experiences.
Pandemic made me realize there are games that aren't dice rolling luck as even Catan felt devoid of strategy outside of your starting locations and wheeling and dealing with your family is always a tough sell. Everyone wants 2 or 3 of your thing for one of theirs.
>>
>>67805595
Is it? Checking some reviews and they're not that good.
>>
I'm looking for a present for my father and he's a huge war nerd. Are there any good historical wargames that are causal-friendly in gameplay? As a point of reference, I tried playing Forbidden Stars with him and he found it too complicated.
>>
>>67818253
Memoir 44 is a go-to brainlet wargame. Command and Colors system is a bit harder but still casul-friendly and spans a ton of historical periods
Try Grizzled too, its not a wargame, but its war-themed and my mom could play it
>>
>>67818410
Thanks m80, will check those out.
>>
File: 1537980739050.jpg (8 KB, 222x250)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>67815384
You cheeky little fucker.
>>
>>67811372
Not true, if your storage is razed they're moved to your general supply until end of turn (mainly things like the literal brick storage).
>>
>>67815384
I remember I was introduced to Dominion, Catan and Hanabi. Hated them then, hates them now.

If it wasnt for me starting out with AH2 just a few months earlier which was a ton more compelling, maybe I would have given them a chance.

This was back in 2009-10.
>>
>>67818706
The other players also do it wrong.
>>
>>67816921
>>67816527
What if I told you it's just a bad game with plenty of better alternatives that aren't such casual snoozefests? No, must be because I'm a salty loser. Go play a real wargame some time that isn't made by FFG.
>>
>>67818253
In his defense, FS has one of the worst (even for ffg) rulebooks I've ever encountered. Not because the core rules are badly written, but because the moment you play it you encounter so many fringe cases that arent properly explained, holes in the rules and rules filed under god knows what in the reference.

Maybe A Few Acres Of Snow is just about right in terms of heaviness. What countries history is he into most?
>>
>>67819156
Not him, but I agree. GoT is not that bad, but it has been a convoluted and overly long experience most of the time.
>>
>>67801818
Literally everything they made for the first kickstarter. It's a ridiculous amount of content and I doubt I'll ever use all of it.

>>67805266
What >>67809078 said. It's not as good but it's a lot less of a mess to set up, play, and take down.
>>
>>67819091
So no one has read the rulebook, no one is playing hanabi. Just a communal solitaire?
None of that makes my sense. I've had groups that got rules wrong before, but those games (evolution, ticket to Ride) still got played more or less the same way.
What an elaborate ruse, you Kidder.
>>
I went to my LGS and got the Root Riverfolk Expansion today. I knew they didn't have a copy on their shelves so I was just asking to order one in(they're apparently really hard to get but I wasn't in a hurry).

Turns out they had a slightly damaged box(slight dent on the back) behind the counter which they've been keeping for two months for a former staff member who didn't put down a deposit.
It's probably one of the last ones available anywhere in Australia so that feels good.
Felt a bit bad about the previous intended owner but she did leave it for two months so I'm not feeling that bad, likely she just forgot about it.

I also bought Wingspan. Last copy they had, got it for my brothers wife for her birthday next month as she, him and their kids love board games.
>>
Brass Birmingham or Lancashire?
>>
>>67819159
WW2 Eastern Front and Napoleonic wars.
I think I will get him Memoir '44 first since I found it available at my LGS and if he enjoys it maybe expand further into heavier wargames.
>>
>>67819159
>>67819363
>In his defense, FS has one of the worst (even for ffg) rulebooks I've ever encountered.
To add to that, I completely agree. I was completely lost on my first play. I don't know how they managed to make such a terrible rulebook.
>>
>>67819304
Birmingham

>>67819156
You do sound like a salty loser.
The game is very accesable and fast.

>>67819159
Just use print the errata. No problems with that one.
>>
>>67819198
If this weren't 4chan, it could be an honest mistake. There are few card games where you're not supposed to look at your own cards, so you make one incorrect assumption and throw Hanabi in a corner for being boring.
>>
>>67819419
Who gives a shit about accessible? It's boring and a long slog. Why bother with it when you could just play Here I Stand instead? Much better combat, diplomacy, never boring. Try leaving your FFG bubble sometime.
>>
>>67819363
Try Command & Colors Napoleonics, it's in the same family as Memoir44 but better.
>>
>>67819629
>Comparing a heavy GMT game to a casual FFG game.
Whatareyoudoing?

Its impossible to get my casual gamers to play a GMT game. You have no idea on how to fit the right game with the right group trying to say a fork is better than a knife...
>>
>>67819756
Not true, I've got plenty of casuals to play Dominant Species and Cuba Libre. In any case that Anon never said the game had to be casual friendly and GoT isnt even much more casual friendly than Here I Stand, just more boring.
>>
>>67819543
>If this weren't 4chan, it could be an honest mistake.
Could it though? Probably a third of the rules revolve around how you give other players clues about the content of their hand. You'd have to be some dense fuckers to ignore how the entire resource system in the game are only used for something that makes no sense.
>>
>>67816830
Six hours and nobody has shillfagged hive? What have we come to.

Ignoring standard card deck games, Paper tales would be most depth for tiny footprint that I can think of.
>>
>>67819905
Hive is fun but quite shallow compared to chess.

Play a bit of Hive and you'll exhaust the openings and known configurations quite quickly.
>>
>>67819905
I own hive pocket and I find it to be... rather mediocre. Its quick and I like how it looks and the bag, but I dont really have an urge to play it. It's cool if you are going to a lake or beach for an afternoon since wind doesnt destroy the board, but I don't like it as much as most other games I own.
>>
>>67816830
It won't be easy to find a copy for cheap, but the old $3 edition of Ogre has a lot of replay
>>
Which games have you played the most this year so far?
>>
>>67820448
Dinosaur Island
>>
>>67820448
Purely on "time spent playing it", probably TI4. Was just 4 games, but surely +28h.
Game I played mist often this year is fucking quacks of quedlinburg. Which I actually dislike, but is such a quick filler. Come to think about it, I actually have begun to hate it, will probably sell it.
>>
>>67819836
>Just more boring
>It's a fact
So you dont think theme matters much for most casuals do you?
>>
>>67820448
TI4, Cthulhu Wars and Lisboa
>>
>>67820448
Spirit island with 15 plays so far. And no solo sessions, which made a fifth of its plays last year. Apart from that, Paper Tales, Evolution Climate, and Pax Pamir have gotten the most love.

I really want to be playing more Imperial, An Infamous Traffic, Chinatown, and Root, but what can you do.
>>
>>67820303
One probably won't find cheap copies of the original OGRE print run from the 1970's, but there are still copies of the 'new' (2011 KS reprint) $3 "Pocket Edition" of OGRE that show up. They typically run about $25 on Ebay for example.
>>
File: bgg phd.jpg (590 KB, 1393x1753)
590 KB
590 KB JPG
>>67820863
Are you a casual then? Who are you to speak for casuals if you aren't yourself a casual?
>>
>>67821528
I have been one, just like you and I rememeber what I liked.
My groups really enjoy it aswell as they all move the artwork and especially the show.

I think Here I Stand would be a very hard sell to them.

It's like trying to sell them Lisboa (which I love) when they like to play Architects of the West Kingdom (which I also love).
>>
>>67820448
Technically most plays would be SmashUp
Considering hourly, then it's Kingdom Death: Monster.
>>
>>67820863
Wars of the Reformation is a much more compelling theme than some bad fantasy novels.
>>
>>67821583
*Love the artwork

Phone posting is a bitch
>>
File: Damnit Photoshop.webm (522 KB, 408x578)
522 KB
522 KB WEBM
>>67821528
That image is obviously photoshooped! I can tell by looking at teh pixels.
>>
>>67821528
>Are you a casual then? Who are you to speak for casuals if you aren't yourself a casual?
That is some next level meta-gatekeeping.
Great pic tho.
>>
>>67819156
>plenty of better alternatives
such as?
>>
>>67819629
>Here I Stand
>cardboard counter shit
>boring ass theme
pathetic proposition
>>
>>67822764
Specifically for 5+ player strategy games, Here I Stand, Virgin Queen, The Napoleonic Wars, Sword of Rome.
>>
>>67822792
WOBCCT

(Watch out, brainlet casual coming through!)
>>
>>67822792
If you're playing GoT for the little meeples or seriously implying that the Renaissance is a boring theme, I won't try to dissuade you, arguing with retards is pointless.
>>
>>67807862
Gloomhaven. Outside of D&D I haven't had an experience like this one. I still believe original D&D is king if you're counting roleplaying games, but Gloomhaven definitely scratches my dungeon crawling itch.
>>
>>67808846
Then recommend a better one?
>>
>>67813719
Chess. Trying to get better at the game is more involved than anything else I've ever tried. Sure, it's easy to learn, but fucking impossible to master if you don't start when you're six years old.
>>
how do i tell my friends i'm tired of gloomhaven
everyone's playing it more and more selfishly to the point of doing shit like "eh i'm not gonna kill this monster even though it's gonna hit someone else for 7 damage this turn, would rather get the money even though i can literally do both at no detriment to myself"
that shit's not even an isolated incident, i'm so tired
>>
>>67820448
terraforming mars

when will this madness stop
>>
>>67823280

Sounds like your "friends" are just shit. My first experience with Kingdom Death was people wanting to read through the equipment and monster AI decks before anything happened.
>>
File: zJxHT.png (11 KB, 255x247)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>67823356
>read through the equipment
wait, before you even did the prologue fight where you can't make any of that stuff anyway? what the fuck
>and monster AI decks
jesus christ how horrifying. that must've been one of the most frustrating experiences of your tabletop career. what the fuck
>>
>>67823356
Reasons like this is why I'm very selective to who I invite to what game.
>>
>>67823356
Holy shit, this whole "perfect information only" meme needs to die. Randomness and hidden information is good.
>>
>>67823451
>Equipment
It was immediately after the prologue fight, but still. Fuck that noise. Even now, after getting several campaigns under my belt, I dont look at equipment unless I've already made it that campaign. Thematically, how the fuck could you know how something performs without actually testing it? Luckily, my memory of shit isn't the greatest, so even know after a bit when I start a new campaign, I have to relearn how things worked, and its great. Not that it matters, I always end up with a vicious dual katar wielding female survivor, and it's great. At a certain point it bites me in the ass but who cares, its fun

>most frustrating experiences of your tabletop career. what the fuck
It absolutely was. I was being flown around by a company, and I used someone elses copy that recently arrived while mine was waiting for me back home. I'm glad the group sort of disbanded after meeting up twice or so. The owner was cool, but fuck he seemed to misunderstand the spirit of the game. Then again maybe he was a metagaming fuckwit and I didn't know about it.
>>
>>67823549
i mean i'll come right out and admit that i ran a few campaigns without looking at what gear does ahead of time, but after a few early failures decided that it was time to start tryharding a little. i think the equipment is one thing, but pre-reading the enemy AI decks is just full-on "i don't care" mode.
>>
>>67819905
>excluding abstracts
>>
>>67823574
>but after a few early failures decided that it was time to start tryharding a little
No judgement here, but that's not something I'll ever do. From what I understand based on the fags posting in KDM groups how the game is boring because they "figured it out", there seems to be incredibly optimal strategies and cheesing out there the make the game easy. I know about the OP gear from flower knight, and I really wish I didn't. Idk, just takes the magic out of things when you have that kind of meta knowledge. I still act like I dont know anything when I demo the game to new people. "Uh, yeah guys, I only made it to like, year 3 before I had to wrap it up. I have no idea what the butcher does".

I feel my experiences have been much better for it. Telling people new to the game optimal strats just sounds like the most awful thing to do. If they actually want that knowledge and only care about winning, and not the experience, I'd rather just not play with them.
>>
>>67823073
Not the anon you replied to, but it's difficult to make on target recommendations without knowing what it is you're looking to get out of your D&D'esque board gaming experience. If you can articulate what it is you want, then if a game like that exists odds are someone here can point you in the right direction.
>>
>>67823736
at the very least, i definitely don't share my meta knowledge (from my own experience playing, i didn't look stuff up online) with my group, and if they're gonna make a mistake, i'll let em. like one of the guys in my group is absolutely obsessed with the bone dagger, just because it's got that teeny tiny chance of giving you +1 survival on a perfect hit. he absolutely won't even give a look at other weapons because he had ONE hunt where it panned out so well he almost solo'd the monster after everyone else died (he didn't make it though, and incidentally if he'd built a weapon with more strength his final attack would've finished the damn thing off). so i'm just kind of letting him waste his time flailing that thing at enemies and hoping to god it sticks until he sees how good everything else we're building is and finally admits that it's much better to be able to attack the monster with confidence that you can damage it.
not very hopeful he'll ever see the light on that, but that's part of the fun.
incidentally, as long as we're talking about KDM, how does everyone who's played it go about divvying up resources? sometimes i kind of dread playing it because everyone has their own ideas of what the best shit to build is, and it always turns into a big argument since the resources are in one big pool.
>>
Root and Sushi Go. Mostly with my girlfriend and her two younger sister. Root was their first "real" board game, they took to it pretty easily.
>>
File: 1562668367081.gif (490 KB, 500x286)
490 KB
490 KB GIF
>>67823956
You know what to do anon. This can only end in incestuous board game polyamory
>>
>>67823920
>Knife bro
He could just be edgy and love using knives, lol. I mean, I don't blame him, there's a certain aspect of coolness in facing down the horrors of KDM with a knife.

>Resources
I've always shared with everyone. Since it's my copy, and I do a good job with my gatekeeping and not letting shitters in, there's never any problems. "Alright guys, we've got a lot of supplies from that last run, so what new goody does everyone want?". If you just up and start demanding several things, you better have a really good reason, or everyone else better be pretty generous, or that's not going to work out for you. If im not sticking with katars, I'll request a helmet and large weapon. After a few lantern years theres more than enough equipment to go around anyways.
>>
>>67823483
>this whole "perfect information only" meme needs to die.
I can see where perfect information games have their place, if you want to purely know who the better tactician or strategist is, then perfect information is the way to go. But they certainly aren't the most interesting in my experience.

> Randomness and hidden information is good.
I've had this conversation with a lot of gamers over the years. Personally I enjoy games with hidden information more, and I find it interesting in games with random elements to see who can best adapt to things beyond their control and still maintain a winning strategy. And it's much the same in tabletop RPG systems. When there's no mystery and everything is known, then there's a diminished sense of interest.
>>
Does kdm use a board?
I'm contemplating printing a copy because I don't care about the minis
>>
>>67824215
KDM uses one huge board for the showdown with the monster, and a double-sided board (one for the hunt phase, one for the settlement phase). It also uses a lot (a LOT) of cards, as well as a bunch of roll tables in its rule book for taking severe damage, hunt events, etc. You also have overlay tiles for terrain, a bunch of tokens, there's a lot there.
I do wish there was a version of the game without minis, because while they are great and cool, I'd love it if the game was more accessible to the general public. I feel like an asshole every time I bring it up because the first thing most people think of on hearing "KDM" is either "titties" or "very expensive."
>>
>>67824301
>not "very expensive titties"
Clearly you need to bring it up to a higher quality crowd.
>>
>>67824206
That's why I like deckbuilders more than CCG's. You have to adapt instead of just pouring over everything available to make the perfect deck. That's why I can spend countless hours playing slay the spire, but after two hours I dropped hearthstone.

>>67824215
>printing KDM
There's a whoooooole lot of shit to print if you go that route. The box weighs like 28lb, and maybe like 2 of those lb's are made from the minis. I was hoping the new gigalion expansion would work as a demo, but you need parts of the white lion deck to make it work. Still that might be a cheaper buy in for you.
>>
>>67823483
>Holy shit, this whole "perfect information only" meme needs to die.
No it doesn't.
>Randomness and hidden information is good.
Only if you're a literal babbie.
>>
>>67824955
>randomness bad
yeah i agree, once you have the winning strategy every game should play out exactly the same. just like how the best players in basketball will make every single free throw and NEVER miss or make any mistakes and thus their team always wins with them making the same amount of points in every game, so should *i* get to win every single game of ti4 as i'm a genius who has mathed out the perfect method to win if only there weren't those pesky rng elements!
>>
>>67824955
>If things don't go the exact way I plan for them to, it's not fun!
One of the symptoms of autism is the need for routine.
>>
>>67824996
Thanks for the brainlet comment, anon. (BTW, can I have my oxygen back? I'm pretty sure my pet snail needs it more.)

Anyways, there's this thing called "competition". I know you're used to those badass bad boy games where 'competition' means checking who rolls a die higher, but maybe you should try some of the real stuff?
>>
>>67825078
how does RNG make a game less competitive? dice rolls aren't the only form of RNG btw.
>>
>>67825045
See here >>67825078, my potato friend.

Randomness and hidden information is need for *one* and *only* one use case: to soften the bad feels for crappy/stupid players when they play against someone not so shit.

Personally, I don't much care for stupid players with delicate flower feelz.
>>
>>67825110
How does playing against the RNG instead of playing against a human make a game less competitive? Hmm, difficult question, might need a crack team of rocket surgeons to answer that one!
>>
>>67825117
>I don't much care for stupid players with delicate flower feelz.

Says the guy who can't handle rng. I bet you refuse to play games that incorporate roll to move dont you
>>
>>67820448
Spirit Island
Pax Pamir 2e has seen a lot of table time recently
Inis
>>
>>67825154
> I bet you refuse to play games that incorporate roll to move dont you
Yeah, I'm older than six years old, you guessed right.
>>
>>67825153
how am i playing only against the RNG? the RNG affects all players equally.
do you come up with an order for the cards to be drawn in all card-based games, and then hand out a list to each player in order to make things more fair? lmao
>>
>>67820448
we've literally played like 2 sessions of other games and then nothing but gloomhaven. it's not even a fun game
>>
>>67825210
>the RNG affects all players equally.
If that's true, then it's still (probably) a perfect information game, just with variable starting states.

And card games are a shit example if you want to argue for competitiveness. Most card games are barely above solitaire and designed to waste time, not compete.
>>
>>67825117
>Randomness and hidden information is need for *one* and *only* one use case: to soften the bad feels for crappy/stupid players
Speaking of 'stupid players', you <ahem> forgot: "Players who are so mentally inflexible that they can't adapt to anything that they can't control or know about in advance." But thanks for outing yourself. Sucks to be you when you realize that you're the mental midget at the table.
>>
>>67825078
Jee, I guess I better throw out my entire wargame collection, they're just bad games for uncompetitive babies who need RNG as a crutch. Real men only play TicTacToe and chess.
>>
>>67823280
This doesn't sound like a Gloomhaven problem. It sounds like a shitty friends problem.
>>
Is Spirit Island worth it? Or is this just the next hyped game everybody is pretending to love? I've heard people compare it to Mage Knight.
>>
>>67825650
If you like co-ops, it's good. Be warned, the expansions makes it a less tight experience, which can be a detriment to your enjoyment depending on who you ask.
>>
>>67825585
>>67823280

Maybe but I definitely agree that the mechanic of having to choose between being useful and getting gold is kind of shit. I have basically never taken the one loot card my class has because it's not terribly good and I have a team to carry.
>>
>>67825531

I've never met someone who hated rng who didn't seem miserable. Ive always just assumed because life itself is pretty random, and being exposed to something that causes you such irrational anger must be pretty exhausting to go through every day.
>>
>>67825583
And Hive. You forgot Hive.
>>
>>67797428
>immediate reaction was to be amazed that thin gamers existed at the con
Fa/tg/uys btfo'd forever
>>
>>67826145
It's bad. The worst part is the useless fucks that loot every opportunity they get and then wonder why I find the game more stressful than fun when I'm having to play around them wasting so much time.
It REALLY doesn't fucking help that you keep all xp and gold even if you fail. They're even less interested in winning because of this, BUT they also get so butthurt when we fail a scenario due to their shitty turn economy that they beg to "just call it a win" because they don't want to redo it. Then they blame RNG for the failure. I think I'm gonna sit out again tonight.
>>
New edition of Dune is certainly the ugliest piece of shit I ever saw
>>
>>67828342

Tempted to literally houserule that away.
>>
>>67828566
Yeah, my group is MASSIVELY anti-house rule. Even for objectively stupid shit like "if you wound a monster and it dies of wound damage you don't get kill credit," they still are against it. They just literally can't cope with their own shit.
>>
>>67828554
It's pretty fucking bad looking.
>>
>>67828554
>>67828732
Show us the sexy, sexy art from the previous edition.

Also if you were expecting good original art from Gale Force 9 I'm going to have one hell of a laugh at your expense. Picking up Ilya's stuff was way better than if they're done it inhouse.
>>
>>67828342
Have you tried speaking up? Afraid of offending them by telling them they're the ones losing the scenario by looting everything and burning cards like a bunch of tards? It's not that hard. Communication people. If the people you game with don't take constructive criticism, you have bigger problems than Gloomhaven.
>>
>>67828626
That'd be a pretty bad houserule bud.
>>
>>67829047
Yeah, I do call them out on their shit, but they get really defensive and butthurt about it. The gripe I have is definitely more with my group than the actual game, but it certainly encourages you to play selfishly.
>>
>>67829105
Hm? You genuinely think "wound death = no kill credit" is a good rule? I'm very open to hearing an explanation for that opinion. Personally I think that the order of events being:
>attack monster
>it gets wounded by your attack
>it dies from the wound you gave it
>you DO NOT get kill credit
Is an absolutely fucking stupid official ruling.
>>
>>67829157
>who wounded what
>will my wound override someone's previous wound
>why should only the first person to wound something get credit
>what if a monster wounded it
This keeps fiddly shit like keeping track of who did what out of the game.
>>
>>67829284
Wound isn't a very prevalent status effect, but you're valid re: overlapping wounds. I genuinely don't think it would be an issue.
>>
>>67829322
A certain class lets all other players wound shit. Also there's plenty of classes with a wound ability or card in their deck.
>>
>>67816365
Thanks for the suggestions! :)
>>
>>67817069
What do you personally find slow about it?
>>
what are some kickstarters going right now that look promising
>>
>>67831333
I liked the thought of After the Empire but the game itself looks a bit boring. Just middle ages tower defense / worker placement, but the tower defense feels more like a preplanned arrangement with an iota of RNG rather than an actual long-term tower defense, which kinda bums me out. I have enough worker placement games with more interesting themes, this one doesn't do enough for me.
>>
>>67831333
I'm tempted on Sleeping Gods but to be honest I could do without the metal coins (which are always over-shaded) and just have a cheaper game. Anyone know how Laukets stuff generally does price-wise after kickstarter when going to retail?
>>
>>67831333
Smartphone Inc just ended which was a game I was excited about last year and Ultra Tiny Epic Galaxies because it’s a game I’ve been interested in for a while and it’s be stupid to pass it up at that price.
>>
>>67831933
Is the Tiny Epic Games actually good?
>>
>>67799930
Yeah, Super Fantasy Brawl has an unnecessarily steep shipping cost.
>>
>>67832575
Not really
>>
>>67822934
>seriously implying that the Renaissance is a boring theme
If you like wigs and syphilis, you'll feel right at home in your local pride parade.
>>
>>67832575
Only played quest, but did not enjoy at all and while I am intrigued by galaxies, the sour taste quest left has prevented me from trying it
>>
>>67822897
i want to get virgin queen because i loved HiS but the map is just so weird
>>
>The Virgin Queen vs Here I Chad
>>
>>67833828
I like the way you think
>>
I don't want to start a thread for this, so here's a TI4 question: What is your go-to map solution for a four-player game? The suggested map is just too big and causes to little conflict for my tastes
>>
>>67819837
Naw, man.
Someone else out there in this world? Sure. But if someone wanted to say Hanbai sucks, they wouldn't take the time to take a real photo and include their fucking hand in it.

It's a great ruse. Even my family got the game.
>>
>>67823125
I would give up a kingdom to be able to move knights with other pieces in the same turn.
>>
>>67834151
This thread is about to die, better repost on the next one.
>>
>>67823956
Sushi Go Party is what I always break out first to asssholes who have only played Monopoly.
>>
>>67834292
thanks, I see that now
>>
>>67820448
Cryptic in terms of plays I think.
Gaia Project in terms of playtime probably.
>>
So I haven't had many reasons to come to /tg/ before. But then I remembered I have a shitload of good boardgames now and remembered this place (I'm sorry).

What are the house favorites here? I'm getting a lot of Spirit Island and 7th Continent from what I see. 2 that I don't have.
>>
>>67834375
It varies depending on what the new big thing is and there's always diverging opinions on most everything.
There's not a lot of games that get universal love, but I'd say El Grande is one of them.
>>
>>67813326
because munchkin is getting worse with every iteration
>>
>>67813326
Sometimes I wish I didn't read reviews.
I was a click away from buying it before I read it has some bad runaway leader syndrome.
>>
>>67825531
>Players who are so mentally inflexible that they can't adapt to anything that they can't control or know about in advance
Thanks, but I'd rather adapt to other players' actions, not a dice roll or a card draw.

This is what we call 'interaction' and 'competition', try it sometime.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.