[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Mobile] [Home]
Board
Settings Mobile Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

previous thread: >>67655065

pasta bin: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8

> Favorite Game mechanic? (Drafting, deck building, area control, etc.)

> Game or Games with your favorite mechanic that you like the most?

> What game are you surprised you liked because you generally don't care for a mechanic that it contains?
>>
File: 23432432523.jpg (100 KB, 1080x1246)
100 KB
100 KB JPG
>Why yes, I do have multiple P500 games ordered, how did you guess?
>>
I like hidden traitor mechanic because I like when at the end of the game people are just getting shouted at for being the traitor, accusing the wrong people etc.
>>
>>67717455
>What game are you surprised you liked because you generally don't care for a mechanic that it contains?
Wish I could contribute something, but as I am the person who buys 95% of our groups games, I rarely play things outside my "zone of interest"
>>
>>67718029
>as I am the person who buys 95% of our groups games
Way better situation than people wanting to play trash every other session
>>
>>67718149
Agreed, but getting something new you're excited about to the table and afterwards hearing that most of them didnt really enjoy it is a shotty experience as well. Additionally, I am stupid enough to hold on to these games because "maybe, someday..." And suddenly half my games cuboard is full of things you know won't get played. And I still play sheriff of nottingham every other time because everybody loves it... even though I am so VERY tired of it.
>>
>>67718029
Same here

Sorta bugs me how unwilling my group are to put any money into the hobby. I'm happy to buy board games because then they're *mine*.
But when we're several months into an RPG campaign and people haven't even bothered to invest in the players guide for £17, that's irksome. I know that not everyone has money to splash around, but i don't feel that's a big ask.
>>
>>67718321
I feel like most of these people arent interested enough in boardgaming/rpgs to really... delve into it. Sure, my friends are happy enough to play and have fun, but I suppose if me and one other guy would stop organizing dates and buying games... I think they'd exchange boardgaming for some other social thing and not look back. Which sounds a bit depressing.
Maybe they are interested in the hobby but don't feel the need to take initiative.
>>
The rules for the new Dune are available:
https://www.gf9games.com/dune/wp-content/uploads/Dune-Rulebook-.pdf

>>67717455
> Favorite Game mechanic? (Drafting, deck building, area control, etc.)
Hmm, area control I guess, though obviously in combination with other mechanics, for example worker placement (Dominant Species is kinda worker placement right?).

At the moment probably Triumph & Tragedy or War of the Roses. The latter is maybe a bit too guessy though due to the hidden action planning, so idk, but it's still a lot of fun when someone gets in a perfect bribe or attacks a place the other guy totally didn't except to need to defend.

> What game are you surprised you liked because you generally don't care for a mechanic that it contains?
Triumph & Tragedy gets another mention, and Churchill. They both include dice rolling to resolve combat, which was something me and my group were very skeptical of. We ended up enjoying both games, though we haven't played Churchill in a good long while sadly.

>>67717919
What've you P500'd?
>>
Are there any 2v2 worker placement games? I think that would be a lot of fun, honestly.
>>
File: jackbox-1014793.jpg (66 KB, 800x450)
66 KB
66 KB JPG
What does /bgg/ think about pic related? Are they fun games that get used at parties or in your rotations, or are they more novelty?
>>
>>67718905
Bit of a mixed bag. Fibbage and Drawful were the only ones we got any mileage out of
>>
>>67718628

>a longer short game
>>
>>67718628
>What've you P500'd?
Loveless on Vinyl: The Board Game
>>
>>67718628

Honestly Dune just looks worse than Rex. Shame they removed the asymmetrical victory conditions as well, turtles were great.
>>
>>67717919
Mystery Wizard right bro?
>>
File: c8pooz5q6ff21.png (56 KB, 579x485)
56 KB
56 KB PNG
>>67718905
The newer games are much better. Try Tee-Ko (pic related) and Patently stupid.
>>
>>67715429
>>67717065
Yeah there's a certain kind of Gen Xer that is really overrepresented in this hobby. Always stuck in whatever anti-Reagan politics they grew up with and annoyingly credulous.
>>
>new bloated phone tier web design for boardgamegeek
I hate modern web design
>>
>>67719945
>update old page design to absolute shit
>don't update old shit algorithm to account for influx of hype ratings
If it's true that 80% or better would come to BGG from google and immediately leave I understand the reasoning, but the site is a shadow of what made it useful in the first place
>>
7th continent is fuckin' tits, spirit island is pretty good, tiny towns is above average, wingspan is slightly below average
>>
>>67719085
Read again, they're still in.
>>
>>67721149
If by tits you mean how a gay like yourself would view tits
>>
>>67718905
For parties we like Quiplash 2 and Fibbage All About You the most
>>
>>67718873
How would it not be bridge on the one hand or quarterbacked on the other?
>>
>>67717455
>Favorite Game mechanic?
Kitchen Sink (every mechanic rolled into one game)
Dinosaur Island

I have yet to find a traitor mechanic gabe I don't hate. It's the main reason I was short listing who goes there, but y'all talked me out of it.
>>
>>67721149
>wingspan is slightly below average
You fucking son of a bitch, how dare you write something I can't disagree with!
>>
>>67717444
To reply to that earlier anon. I don't want more people to feel welcome because you're going to start getting proportions equal to the masses and therefore pandering to the masses and the masses are fucking stupid.

It would be great if women could come into the hobby and not make it about themselves and whatever vapid shit they picked up in their latest brainwashing cycle. It would be great if room temperature IQ people could come into the hobby and then leave again because sometimes you're just too stupid to engage in something. Instead we get all manner of abortions birthed into the hobby that rightfully should be dead before they even hit the concept stage but now get to stick around and propagate because companies want money.

While this hasn't necessarily hurt quality growth at this exact moment (although who knows what games we could have had) it certainly hasn't helped. And what happens in the future when yet another company decides that instead of putting time and effort into a game they can just shit out Dice Chucker #12864 (now with 50LBS of plastics and minis) and rake in those sweet sweet millions.

Indie designers on kickstarter you might say, well hopefully so because unless we get a complete shake-up that's probably the only way to go. Except that going under kickstarter, you're still subject to overarching control from a company susceptible to SJW screeching. Anyway, does anyone have that picture of a hobby being taken over by women and their thirsty orbiters, it's probably fairly apt.
>>
>>67721149
7th continent or Sleeping Gods as a world exploring game with story elements and some not uninteresting mechanics.
>>
File: VeryGoodBigGoblins.jpg (104 KB, 1034x534)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Eurogames that take longer than 90 minutes are trash. Fight me.
>>
>>67719945
the old was shit and completely unusable on mobile. New one is actually servicable.
>>
>>67721149
I have played wingspan four times and would not be sad if I never played it again in my life so I think you're right on that one
>>
How does sleeping gods look like?
Does it have interesting mechanics?
Is it similar to 7th continent?
>>
>>67727204
What makes women more susceptible to brainwashing then men? You seem to have drank the koolaid pretty deep there senpai
>>
File: 1559700787750.jpg (31 KB, 446x360)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
Whats that really obscure board game your group plays on a religious level consistently?
>>
Eric Lang/CMON area control stuff or Matagot area control stuff?

More specifically, Kemet or Rising Sun?
>>
>>67728579
New Angeles
>>
>>67729925
You're asking for shallow, the players will work it out, with *minis!!!* vs. actual game. They don't compare, CMON has the best minis and if that's what you care about get Rising sun. I mean Kemet doesn't even have minis.
>>
>>67728579
Acquire.
>>
File: wut.png (12 KB, 560x407)
12 KB
12 KB PNG
>>67729934
>New Angeles
>obscure...
Wut?!?
>>
>>67728579
Tumblin' dice Is the obscurest I can think about
>>
>>67721149

I own 7th continent and I thought it was a bit mediocre desu. Bought it for my GF because she was intrigued.
I didn't feel the need to play it again after the first time anyway.

Could you explain what's so great about it to you? I'm genuinly curious.
>>
>>67727204
>And what happens in the future when yet another company decides that instead of putting time and effort into a game they can just shit out Dice Chucker #12864 (now with 50LBS of plastics and minis) and rake in those sweet sweet millions.

Exploding Kittens, Bears vs Babies, and all those other garbage games are already a thing anon.
>>
>>67728579

Is Chaos in The Old World obscure?
It's either Rex, CotW or Risk: legends for funsies.
>>
>>67727885
New one is worse on pc which is what matters
>>
As per an anon's request, I have reviewed Crusader Kings.

Please view and leave me some feedback!

https://youtu.be/aE32o7QfAss
>>
File: raus.jpg (106 KB, 560x510)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>>67727885
>mobile browsing

>>67728579
Roadzters
>>
File: DuchiesRivers.png (161 KB, 3072x2048)
161 KB
161 KB PNG
>>67730832
Thought I was on /v/ for a few moments, but I see there's a ck board game
>>
>>67730832
Better video quality - intro is reasonable in length and the text is legible, but there's still a heck of a lot of echo in your physical environment. It sounds like you're recording the audio in a room with a lot of hard surfaces. Lighting is good in this video. Viewer can see the board and items clearly and without glare.
>>
>>67728579
For a few years at the beginning it was 3 dragon ante.
We picked it up a few years ago and we simultaneously stopped and went: well that was atrocious how did we enjoy this for dozens of games way back when.
>>
>>67730654
Not really, it was always a bloated mess

>>67731175
>German animefag has no argument
I mean we all have preferences, but yours is akin to shitting on the streets instead of using the loo
>>
>>67731571
>assuming my nationality
BGG isn't supposed to be for mobile faceberg browsing, it's design was to be a useful game encyclopedia. If you couldn't figure out how to spend 5 minutes for page customization you shouldn't be playing anything above Candyland, and shouldn't be using it
>>
>>67729925
/Bgg/ will tell you to get Kemet because Kemet is the current meme AND that /bgg/ posters in general cant into diplomatics.
That's why only a few are able to great stuff like TI4, Rising Sun and New Angeles.
I myself dont like E. Lang at all except for that he made CitOW and RS which are both very good games.
>>
Anyone done any DIY boardgames?
>>
How do I win twilight imperium if my group plays with random races?
>>
>>67718628
Wait, so they took the old Ilya's P&P version, then fucked it up with random art and a worse cover, all in dark blue/orange meme color scheme?
>>
>>67731571
>it was always a bloated mess
No it wasn't, it is more bloated now in both terms of memory and vision. A big fat overhead following you around, big blocky info boxes showing less information per screen and an increase in memory which you can compare through waybackmachine.
>>
>>67731881
Diplomatic skills and perfect timing of gaining the last 4 points you need to win at the same turn.
>>
>>67732110
Ilya did all the art for it
>>
>>67727811
I agree only because typically in these games an hour in the winner is apparent and the rest is going through annoying motions just to be polite. All long 3+ games should employ automa-like decks so the losing players can mcfucking resign without ruining the game for everyone else. This doesnt solve the gaming nights, but it does solve playig with randoes in a local club.
>>
>>67727811
Archipelago
>>
>>67727811
I won't, but still heavily disagree
>>
>>67728569
Who knows what the exact neurological reason is, that's just how it is.
>>
File: Finished 01.jpg (265 KB, 789x588)
265 KB
265 KB JPG
>>67731867
>Anyone done any DIY boardgames?
Yes - pic related.
>>
>>67727811
>Fight me.
Society frowns upon those who beat morons and other easy targets.
>>
>>67733033
>that's just how it is.
Oh look! It's baby's first bait.
>>
>>67733215
Yes you are, and I'm not falling for it.
>>
>>67717455
Any good houserules/interesting ways to play settlers of Catan? We only have the basegame, and only still the old version where the border is made from water tiles and the 2:1/3:1 port things are also on water cards. The only other board game we have is ticket to ride Europe (with the station thingys for each color)
>>
>>67733487
>Any good houserules/interesting ways to play settlers of Catan?

Not that I know of. Are there any particular mechanics, themes, etc that you find appealing? Odds are very good that someone here can point out a good game of that type without it costing a small fortune.
>>
If that anon that was drumming up discussion about Res Arcana earlier this year is still around: has it held up well? Does it have legs or has your group already moved on to better offerings?

>>67733172
Hey, I remember this! You posted it way back when. All magnets right? Does the Duke still hold up and get regular play nowadays?
>>
>>67732814
And this is the fallacy of thinking that only winning the game matters. Not to mention that by quitting early you all but guarantee that you'll never actually learn anything about the game in order to improve your strategy and skills.
>>
File: TerraformingMarsCorps.jpg (1.22 MB, 3264x2448)
1.22 MB
1.22 MB JPG
Thoughts on the corporations in terraforming mars?
>>
>>67734590
Some are categorically better than others? Terraforming Mars is shit so it wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>67734620
what are some good board games I should get and play instead?
>>
>>67734667
Mottainai
At the Gates of Loyang
Trajan
Archipelago
Anachrony
Village
CO2
La Granja
>>
>>67728579
Neuroshima Hex, if you stretch the "obscure" requirement.
>>
>>67728579

Literally can't remember the name. Some german roll and write.
>>
>>67733900
I usually have fun fucking over whoever the clear winner is even if I have no hope of advancing to the top myself. Though I guess this is actually viewed as a bad feature by a lot of people
>>
>>67728579
Outpost:Siberia
>>
File: home-alone-2-11.jpg (18 KB, 544x288)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
>>67727811
Lisboa
Anachrony
>>
>>67734883
Ganz Schon Clever?
>>
>>67734590
>>67734620
Some are. There's also a ton of community made corporations on BGG if you ever get tired of the normal shit.
>>
>>67728579
Some of us have a hard-on for Resident Evil DBG. Not many people seem to care about it despite it being fucking RE. Probably because it's clunky and luck-dependent.

Other than that, maybe Treasure Hunter? But that gets recognition just for the designer, and it was super prominent in that board game anime thing a from the other day.
>>
>>67736003
Seems like a game it would be fairly easy to make up new cards for.
I'm not sure if new corps will be necessary, but maybe new cards and then a drafting system.
Only had a couple of games,but even by the second round I was making so many decisions based on future possible cards that I knew would appear for at least one player.
Even taking the standard deck and then pulling out 10-20 cards at random and not show anyone which cards could be an okay solution for that imo, would equalize it slightly for newer and older players.
>>
File: 91a5uQnZf2L._SL1500_.jpg (266 KB, 1500x1500)
266 KB
266 KB JPG
Can anyone explain what was so special about this game? Was it the fantasy that people liked, because on a gameplay level you literally spin a wheel, get points, and that's it.
>>
>>67737741

Most games from that era are shit.
>>
>>67727885
Board games and smart phones don't mix well. At any level, in any fashion.
>>
>>67729925
thats tough, although kemet and RS seem nominally similar in reality they are different enough I can't easily recommend one over the other. If I must choose, I think I like RS better even though I own kemet and have played it more. I think it might be a case of me playing kemet to the point that I've noticed the problems with it though, while I haven't played RS as much.
>>67730024
what are you taking about with kemet not having minis? What would you call those sculpted plastic playing pieces then?
>>
>>67730342
I'd certainly call CitOW obscure in 2019. It just manages to be just so damn good that it still gets a little bit of discussion.
>>
>>67738165
>citow is obscure
>so damn good
lol^2
>>
>>67738333
anon whatre you doing. two minute lang hate is about to start. youll miss it!
>>
>>67738333
its been out of print for years
and its good
you gonna add anything to the discussion or are you just going to snicker over in the corner?
>>
>>67738084
>I've noticed the problems with it though
Such as?
>>
>>67738526
Many of my games end in a very kingmaker-y kind of position that leaves a real bad taste in my mouth. Player A is one point ahead of player B, and will win... player C isn't going to win no matter what they do, but could take actions to make player B win instead of player A. That problem is intertwined and closely relates to the next one: Having a wargame where it always feels like you're in the running, and where things are really tight and anyone could win, that's great... except that I've found it oftentimes means that you struggle and toil over an hour and a half, and you think that you've played really well and done everything you can, and then the game just always seems to be decided in the final turn. And if the game is always decided in the final turn, what did the rest of the game matter for anyway?
>>
File: ss diplomacy.jpg (201 KB, 1402x588)
201 KB
201 KB JPG
>>67717455
>>
>>67738773
That's an issue only if you play with 3 players, kingmaking doesn't work that well with 4 or 5.
>>
>>67739118
I have found it happen in some 5 player games as well. I don't know If I've ever played 4 players
>>
>>67739167
It's not hard to have at least 3 out of 4 players with similar VP, and gaining or losing many in a single turn is a common thing if you do not plan well your actions.
Rather than letting someone win, I think it's easier for the fourth guy to exploit that situation and steal lots of point from everyone.
>>
>>67737741
Honestly I think there's a good market out there for a decent life-sim board game for anyone who wants a shot
>>
>>67733033

>I can't provide evidence to support my argument but it's totally true guys I pinky-swear with a cherry on top!
>>
Anyone else backing Trudvang Legends?

I like the minis a lot. Except for the random OC black girl they added.
>>
File: IMG_20190809_205534.jpg (4.68 MB, 4160x3120)
4.68 MB
4.68 MB JPG
Any anons here still play Innovation?
It was my go to two player duelling game with my wife for a while (alongside battle con) when we lived abroad. We sadly let it sit on the shelf the past two years, but just busted it out for date night and oh ho it's still got chops. I think it's time we went back to integrating the echoes of the past expansion. Its also giving me a small suspicioun Cole wherle took some cues from it for pax pamir, what with two actions, favored suites mimic inventions that let you economize regular actions, and amassing icons for perks.
>>
>>67737741
1. it wasn't monopoly
2. it wasn't risk
3. it wasn't sorry or boggle or uno

that's literally it.
>>
>>67728579
I guess the most obscure thing we play is Broom Service but I think even that won an award
Rec me some obscure games /bgg/
>>
>>67728579
Doki doki volleyball, kobolds ate my baby, millennium blades, mage wars arena, custom heroes, sakura arms, don't rest your head, final war.
>>
>>67730059
It's known, but how many do you know who plays it? I play Mainframe.
>>
>>67737741
Well, it literally says "spin to win" on the box, don't say you weren't warned.
>>
>>67728579
I mostly deal in underrated games; Alicematic Heroes, Bunny Kingdom, Demon Worker, DokiDoki Beach Volleyball, Heart of Crown, Honshu, Kanagawa, Mythe (not to be confused with that debacle of Myth), Raids, Ravens of Thri Sahashri, Sakura Arms, Tanto Cuore (my all time favorite), and Terrifying Girl Disorder all see regular play at my table.
>>
>>67741140
I'll only play it on BGA these days, playing it on the table is an accounting nightmare. Sadly, Innovation turns into multiplayer solitaire once you know what you're doing, despite appearing to have tons of meanness.
>>
Thoughts on the century trilogy, worth getting all three or is there a clear winnner between new world and eastern wonders?
>>
>Perfect information and fixed start state
Chess
Hive
Santorini (with no powers)

>Perfect information but randomized start state
Santorini (with powers)
Patchwork (patch starting positions are random iirc)
Onitama (the 5 cards are random)

>Nonperfect information (almost perfect but not perfect)
Azul (since the 'upkeep'/refill is random)

Where would Sagrada, Photosynthesis, Samurai fit these categories?
>>
My local gay shop stocked Fields of Fire 2, any opinions? I never played FoF1 but I do love me some solo autism
>>
>>67744452
heh. Local gay shop.
>>
>>67738923

Man if there was ever a "shit that didn't happen".
>>
Almost all of my collection is based on SUSD. How'd I do?
Went to my friend's 2 years ago, played pandemic and betrayal at house on the hill and fell in love (before realizing it wasn't really a stat up stat down strategy game) and went hard.
Favorites so far are Tzolken, Quacks, Splendor, and Machi fucking Koro among about a dozen other games.
>>
>>67745092

I mean I think a lot of people started that way. Personally, a friend with Galaxy Trucker got me into it. Because fuck, if you don't know modern games, that shit is mindblowing. SU&SD recommended games are hard to fuck up with. That said, I don't take to their opinions quite so much as I used to. Still good though.
>>
>>67745170
I actually enjoyed monopoly too. SUSD said it perfectly in one episode, it's that, "Maybe this time I'll have ALL the money." But I realized it's all just chance, even the 2 player games with my friend that we only made last half an hour because we would buy the properties we want and trade and see how it plays out.
Now Machi Koro, there's a game that will slit your fucking throat if you try to be nice. Fuck you, I'm buying a sushi bar Every. Single. Time. Because if I don't, someone else will.

But yeah. Modern games blew my mind. We could actually lose to the board in Pandemic. I threw one of my friends into the pits of hell as an immortal 7 year old girl and now I mostly sell people potions full of hawk moths and raven skulls.
>>
>>67745250
Actually, speaking of ALL THE MONEY.
Any recommendations other than Suburbia (have it) and Chinatown (too pricey, hopefully they reprint it)?
>>
>>67745092
Not that bad. Pretty much what >>67745170 said. SUSD have more and more hardened their respective tastes (Social Deduction, small games, card games) and SJW stuff is more important than ever, whilst being kind of dismissing of lot of other stuff. I feel they have grown into the "this is easy and fun but has little substance" category. Which is fine, but I dislike their style of pretending their taste is an absolute objective measurement which frankly is arrogant.

I have little to say about your choice of games, tzolk'in is still great but I dont like the others much. If you have fun with them, thats all you need to know. But if you like SUSD, maybe check out a few of their earlier reviews where they cover more midweight games like village.
>>
>>67745299
>>67745250
>>67745170
>>67745092
>SUSD
That one is Yikes for me
>>
>>67745299

I mean they tend to focus more on "elegance of design", and new and clever mechanics these days, which I personally very much enjoy in games. Although I don't like euros nearly as much as they seem to now.
>>
>>67744345
Spice Road is the only one you want.

>>67744402
Nobody cares because they're all boring games.

>>67745092
Their taste is pretty shit though. When they preferred Conan to Batman from Monolith I understood how retarded they are.
>>
>>67745410
>>67744345

New World seems like a clear winner for my group. Eastern Wonders seemed like it was missing something. Perhaps one of the combos makes it better but we haven't explored those enough.

But yeah Spice Road is the best. I'm hoping for a Golem Edition big box with everything, including promos. But that may be a pipe dream.
>>
>>67745365
Agreed, but no reason in being elitist to people that still have a glow in their eyes when they discover new boardgames, aye?
>>
>>67745374
I dont know man. Their idea of "elegance" is like that of other people, entirely arbitary. I find that with "elegant" they more often than not mean "Few rules and quick to play" or "All mechanisms are interconnected"

Additionally, I find that they cover and like WAY less eurogames now than when they started. Even moreso since paul left
>>
>>67745434
Do SUSDcucks even like boardgames? I feel like for them its just a medium to connect with other oh-so-nerdy normies for muh social fun, and an easy outlet to express themselves politically. Theirs is the shittiest type of reviewer, who judge the game systems by how much their let them connect with their friends or tell some faggoty story, using terms like 'beautifully evocative' or 'immersive storytelling'. In short, they want every game to be a tabtletop RPG. I would rather much listen to niggas from Heavy Cardboard, DriveThru, or even fucking rahdo.
>>
File: PepeBGone.gif (1.87 MB, 320x200)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB GIF
>>67745747

Sheesh don't cut yourself on that edge.

They like games for mechanics most of the time, so your "critiques" (read: pseudo-political bitching unrelated to the reality of what you're supposedly critique-ing) are just revealing of the fact you don't have any idea what you're talking about.

I don't even like them that much, but you're clearly a moron.
>>
>>67745747
Other than the one segment where they bitched about Istanbul having no women, I find their other PCness kind of cute and funny sometimes, like Matt asking if "we're (men) the bad guys" and Quinns gritting his teeth and saying, "yes".
Plus it's not some guy sitting at a plastic table in front of one camera. They put time and effort into their videos and for me it's as much entertainment as review.

Everyone has their tastes, if you want to simply know how to play a game to decide to buy it, you can do that, if you want 4 assholes to play the game, you can do that, if you want any number of reviews written or on video, you can do that. It's the internet, baby.

I've bought games after their mid-review turnaround where they complain about the same things they always do like victory tracks, it not having X, having no Y. But since I'm not ever going to be interested in $500 miniature games like Batman or I'm never going to have a group interested or even capable of learning Siderial Confluence then it doesn't bother me that cash n' gun's wasn't their favorite of the 3 they reviewed that episode (I can't actually remember what they chose). I like it because you point fake guns at your family and convince them that even though I'm winning that my smart sister has a plan to screw us all somehow and we need to stop her.

God damn it. I want to play games now. I need to figure out how to convince people that you can have fun not only with alcohol at the bar.
>"What, just sit and play games and do nothing?"
Small town problems.
>>
File: summer.jpg (134 KB, 640x480)
134 KB
134 KB JPG
What are your favorite variable power games?
I am thinking about getting TI4, but I think something a bit shorter would hit the table more often
I just love playing with everybody having a different playstyle. Different looking dudes would be a plus
>>
>>67745903

Better than sitting and drinking and doing nothing.

And you can always sit and drink and play games.
>>
>>67745916
I love TI4 for those long plays with a lot of shit talk.
Rising Sun is awesome as well if you want a shorter action-selection-with-diplomacy because the powers are are so powerful.
Cthulhu Wars may be the game with the most asymmetric powers (Tsukuyumi aint really possible to get yet).
>>
>>67745963
Sitting, drinking, and doing nothing is in our Ohio blood.
It's gonna be hard to convince people that playing games is doing more than drinking. Even today there's still that stigma. Board games are what you do when you've run out of ideas. The only real way to do it is to bring it up a couple of times and then lay into the games everyone knows by saying they suck in as colorful language as you can muster. Everyone thinks they're the best Risk player.
>>
>>67745811
>They like games for mechanics

I think you confused mechanics with 'SJW virtue signal points'
>>
>>67746330
get over yourself. It shouldn't be a big hurdle, judging by how small you are.
>>
>>67745916
I wish that I could recommend you Chaos in the Old World, but for the inflated out-of-print price I cannot. TI4 is absolutely terrific though, I fully understand your reservations about length, but if it seems like something you might be in to and you think giving it a shot might be worth it, I'd whole-heartedly say you should do just that.
>>
>>67745964
Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check these out. Just missed the Tsukuyumi Kickstarter though
>>67746535
I really think that I would fully enjoy TI, but you unfortunately need more people to play. I just don't see them taking so much time out of their schedules for a fun weekend of TI and beer.
>>
>>67746495
Woah now, is that some manlet projection there? I'm sorry you feel intimidated by real men and some women too but lashing out at people who are going to call a spade a spade isn't the way to go. Maybe you feel some kinship with Cucked Up because they're pathetic examples of human beings too and don't like to see them called out but that's just life sometimes.
>>
File: Nothing here.jpg (24 KB, 408x359)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>67746495
Not him, but I kind of agree.

Maybe I'm lacking a sense of humor or "I don't care" attitude here, but I find bringing politics into ANY hobby is always a bad idea. Look at videogames. Granted, it'd be even worse if they were somehow alt-right faggots. But I find it increasingly ridiculous. Slaves in Five tribes are insensitive? Meh. Being a bad, bad colonizer in Archipelago is only okay because there's the secret "Native sympathizer" objective? ...I guess. Chinatown should get an art update because there's a car crash on the board and this is racist? I wonder who is constantly thinking in races and differences if that's the first thing that comes to your mind. Kemet does something wrong because the economic power tiles are white? Literally shouted "oh come on now" at my screen.

And even though all of that doesn't matter, I find their high horse only increases in height because they've got a collective of "no one says anything hurful or possibly insensitive" community circlejerking in their echo chamber, and a heavily moderated site.

That said, they are still the most entertaining reviewers, and with the caveat of "it's SUSD, you know what the usually like" you can extrapolate if you'd like the game or not most of the time.

Thank you for reading my blog
>>
>>67717455
>hidden traitor

Is it like false friend?
>>
File: photo.jpg (42 KB, 620x496)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
Will people play anything these days?
>>
>>67746613
you need to stop spending so much time on the internet and get outside some.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (151 KB, 1200x630)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>67746650
No, you misunderstand.
It's a hidden traitor mechanic.
>>
>>67744345
Spice Road is the easiest to teach / get adoption
Eastern Wonders is strictly better than Spice Road
I haven't got New World.

Um, also, you know they combine, right?
>>
File: file.png (384 KB, 1911x890)
384 KB
384 KB PNG
>>67746748
I mean Fuji Flush is a good party game and 6nimmt is one of my groups favorites. How bad is the Mind actually?

also it feels like the board got reset or something, I saw this post last night and I know I got more than 4 hours of sleep for once.
>>
>>67748760
>Mountain burger standard
How many of you crazy hill folk are there in here.
>>
>>67730290
I found it as a good co-op game with the GF. It's lower weight and balances well with the rest of my library. I do think people overrate it, but it's not a bad game.
>>
So how's Black Angel?
Every playthrough video has me stoked. It looks so good!
>>
>>67750605
Pretty much a day one buy for me.
>>
>>67747113
From the makers of deck building: the deck builder game
>>
>>67746587
I salute you, aspiring TI comrade.
>>
>>67745299
>pretending their taste is an absolute objective measurement which frankly is arrogant.
I mean, apart from the fact they say "this might not appeal to you" or "this doesn't appeal to me" repeatedly in every video and the almost annoying level of self-deprecation they put on.
>>
Question, guys and gal : What mid-complexity card game would you take on a 2 week vacation ?
>>
>>67746645

In Kemet the "Slavery" power is under the "White Power" tree. Yeah I don't think that was intentional, but man it's hard to deny it's hilariously myopic.
>>
>>67752190
Something meant to fit into a backpack?

Innovation
Valley of the Kings
Battlecon if you only bring a dozen or so fighters
>>
>>67752190
Innovation
Evolution: the Beginning
Tanto Cuore
>>
>>67752474
>Evolution the beginning.
Fuuuck this anon here has the right idea.
Evolution is a rad system, making it portable, nasty at two players ,and streamlined, you couldn't ask for anything more.

Also, >>67752190, check out Condotierre if you like hand management and will be three or more people that would be gaming on your trip.
>>
>>67752340
I'm pretty sure that was intentional """"joke"""" by the devs
>>
>>67752563
Currently have Condotierre and Sushi Go on my short list. I was wondering I should pick up something else.

I forgot the hard mode : needs to be either in French, or all visual.
>>
>>67751095
But it wasn't made by L99 Games, so it can't be made by the creators of Millennium Blades?
>>
>>67752697
>I forgot the hard mode : needs to be either in French, or all visual.
Calisse t'es difficile, toé.
If you don't mind cooperative games, the Grizzled I've found french copies easy, and Hanabi is zero text.
For sale, cockroach poker, and Diamant have no text, but are all lighter than perhaps you're looking for. Plus they really only shine at 4+ players.
>>
>>67752789
Kesse tu veux? Ma fille et ma femme ont de la misère a lire en anglais.
>>
>>67752908
>Kesse tu veux?
Jveux qtoutlemonde s'amuse.
Jaipur est parfait pour juste deux joueurs. Quand maman a besoin dune petite pause, disons
Bonnes vacances en tabarnac, mon mec
>>
>>67752697
You might as well get Sushi Go Party
>>
>>67728579
Startups from Oink Games.
absolute unit of a bluffing game.
>>
>>67750605
Tried it at Gencon. I didn't care for it but that's 100% because it's too long to demo. Willing to try it again when it comes out.
>>
>>67743693
>any group playing MB consistently
Why would you come on to the internet, just to lie?
>>
>>67753647
not him, I'd argue it's not at all obscure rather than it doesn't get plays. maybe it's your group?
>>
>>67732684
aren't you limited to just just one public and one secret objective barring any cards?
>>
>>67752190
It's not a card game but hive sounds perfect
>>
Thanks to the anon that convinced me to get Arkham Horror TCG, this shit is great.
>>
File: 1564628366568.gif (3.77 MB, 500x473)
3.77 MB
3.77 MB GIF
>>67755441
Shit, im the other anon that's been asking about it. Guess I also need to pull the trigger. Did you buy just the one core or start with a bang?
>>
>>67755441
Fuck,
I want it but I've spent over $250 on boardgames this month
>>
>>67757024
It's only the 10th anon. Are you even trying?
>>
>>67745811
In their kemet review of this past month, they whined about slavery and the crusades being white power tiles for the second time. They whined about the very same thing the first time. How is that not virtue signaling to your soi boi fan base?
>>
>>67752190
>Question, guys and gal : What mid-complexity card game would you take on a 2 week vacation ?
Sherrif of Nottingham
>>
>>67754131
Hive would be perfect !
>>
>>67755907
I got 2 starters and the whole Dunwich cycle.
>>
>>67758840
Damn, not sure I would go that deep myself on a blind run. Have you already started the Dunwich cycle? How many different investigators/classes have you played? Any buddies along for the ride with you?
>>
>>67758872
I've just played the core scenarios, really liking Agnes and Daisy so far. Been playing it with my brother.
>>
>>67758990
Cool. Will have to mull it over a bit more. My wife cant get enough of spirit island and we will often play it just the two of us, but im not 100% sure AH LCG will scratch the same itch.
I also just bought Q.E., so there goes most of my meager game budget for the month.
Appreciate your feed back. Let me know how the newbie experience continues in future threads.
>>
>>67745916
Mare Nostrum - give it a look.
>>
>>67752190
Lost cities was fun
I'd probably just bring a deck of cards and try to learn multiple games
>>
>>67755441
Can FFG shills honestly explain whats so good about this game? I hated every second of it and consider it one of the worst designed games ever.
>obnoxiously long setup for what amount to a fairly short game, absolutely killing any replayability, not that this trash was replayable in the first place
>no real deckbuilding unless you're willing to invest a gorillion dollar into buyig multiple copies of every overpriced xpack
>gameplay is as primitive as it gets, choices are obvious 99% of time, you either le investigate (aka roll dice) or le fight (aka roll dice). The whole thing is just a monotony of skill checks
>game wont even allow you the fun of chucking dice, instead you awkwardly pull tokens from the bag like an old woman playing bingo
>as random as it gets: random encounters, random bingo checks, random deck pulls (with a """""fun""""" curse cards mechanic). Ironically, the only non-random part of the is a dull monster phase, where enemies deal fixed, unavoidable damage lmao
>encounters are boring and uncreative and, yes, mostly just make you go through even more skill check bingoes
>boring monsters who dont do anything and have no AI, they're just meat bag damage dispensers.
>no effort was spent on the theme, there are no clever ways to get clues other than doing skill checks, no real purpose to having two different health bars, losing sanity doesnt affect your character in any way (with exception of special abilities), Your Choices Matter(tm) meme amount to reading a different flavor text and getting a wound or something
>for Lovecraft mythos, there sure is a ton of negroes and stronk whamens saving the world
>>
My friends suck with learning rules so I need board/card games that are easy to teach and end in 30 minutes max because of their short attention spans. What are your favorite quickie games?
>>
>>67761884
Summoner Wars is quite fast.
>>
>>67761781
I think this is one of the most retarded posts I've seen in a very long time on /bgg/.

Good job.
You actually made me reply.

[Spoiler]You should try it and see how much you have misunderstood[/spoiler]
>>
>>67762848
And yet atm he's more believable.
If he's so wrong, you should have zero trouble pointing exactly where and how he's wrong.
>>
>>67762812

It's also quite mediocre. I really want to like it. It's really up my alley. But it's horribly meh.
>>
>>67761884
Race for the Galaxy is probably the best under 30mins game you can find, but rules brainlets will never get over its iconography.
>>
>>67763273

I am annoyed that every game finds this acceptable now. I understand why they do it. But man I hate having to learn every game's iconography and constantly refer to a book for the first few plays.
>>
>>67763295
Looks like you're the brainlet, lol.
>>
>>67763295
There a video on youtube comparing RftG and Innovation. Both a similarly complex games that use a deck of 100-something unique cards with various abilities, but they approach design in different ways. RftG uses iconography to convey all its information, which is confusing initially but becomes instantly clear once you internalize the icons, while Innovation prints all its abilities on cards as a block of text, which makes the game easier to approach, but in the long run makes learning the game take forever with players being forced to read the cadds over and over again. Personally I say RftG way is better. Let me have my 3-4 botched plays.
>>
>>67763497

Shrug. My group plays different games practically every week so we have this problem constantly. And when we replay a game frequently you rarely read the cards much anyway, unless you have a specific rules or interaction question, in which case you either have it directly on the card, or in the case of icons you definitely have to look it up.
>>
>>67761884
Deep Sea Adventure
Kingdomino
Isle of Skye
>>
File: 1565518315934.jpg (276 KB, 720x960)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
>>67759685
Thanks anon, that looks like everything I'm looking for
>>
>>67764510
Seconding Mare Nostrum, it's really nice even if once you know the game the first moves will all be sort of scripted.
>>
>>67761781
Are you basing your opinion of the game on The Gathering? The tutorial scenario? Because it sounds like you are.
>>
>>67765122
If you need to know, I played the core campaign several times (trying to beat it on hard difficulty, which proved to be impossible wih only 1 box, great pay2win design) and entire Dunwich campaign once. I lost this one and didnt care enough to try again.
>>
>>67765462
>which proved to be impossible with only 1 box, great pay2win design
Maybe you're just bad
>>
>>67765462
>>67765651
Also are you aware that hard is supposed to be... hard? Losing hard campaigns 8 times out of 10 is the way the game is designed. It seems you're looking for something in this game that it was never made for.
>>
File: 1516405725275.jpg (136 KB, 2048x1586)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>67765462
>and entire Dunwich campaign once.
so you spent 160 USD + tax/shipping for a game you didnt like? Or your friend bought it all and you put up with repeated plays even though you disliked every aspect of gameplay?
Jesus anon, you are a fucking brainlet.
>>
>>67718628
Why is Dune so focused on moving counter-clockwise around the board?
It's so unintuitive.
>>
>>67766097
>you spent time and money on a game therefore you must like it
I dont get you reasoning. I got it in a bundle deal for less than 100$ and resold it for almost as much so calm you tits. There's popular sentiment on BGG that Night of the Zealot is just a sampler of the real deal that comes in Dunwich, so despite not enjoying the system I gave it a full spin. The real deal never came, the gameplay remained as boring and simplistic as ever.
>>
>>67767040
>>you spent time and money on a game therefore you must like it
Not at all what I said or implied but nice moving the goalposts there, anon.
>>67761781 you outline every possible aversion you can have for the game. All those negatives you can experience from the core set alone. Why you kept going through a full campaign and wasted your time either shows you're as stubborn as an ass or birdbrained. If I play a day of TI3 and go: wow, I have several issues with this system, playstyle, presentation, am I really going to give it another 4 sessions?
Good on you for getting your money back I guess.
>>
>>67764510
I'm glad you found that suggestion helpful. I wasn't sure my main board gaming group would enjoy it - they typically go for shorter play times and lighter games. That said, we did a single 'trial' turn and everyone was off and scheming and battling right out of the gate. The Romans ended up winning by blocking me from attacking them with an artifact on the turn they acquired enough money to buy a pyramid. The other two players were busy fighting each other and unable to mount an assault to take any of the Roman's resources. Everyone really enjoyed the game.
>>
>>67763273
The problem with Race is not it's iconography, it's that it's clunky. There is something awkward as evidenced by many players going to a hybrid phase system closer to Roll.

It would be great if they came back around and took what they learned from Roll and New Frontiers* and revamped Race with lessons learned on gameplay, keeping the complexity.

No reason it shouldn't be in anons take list, Race is still a solid game, it's just a more jagged pill to swallow than need be.

*t. haven't played NF yet
>>
File: IMG-20170914-WA0004.jpg (106 KB, 352x460)
106 KB
106 KB JPG
>NOTE: This is a game for 0 - 2 players. The BGG database does not allow a player count of 0.

Well that is something different.
>>
>>67754075
>2 point public objective
>1 point secret objective
>Free point from Imperial
>Another public objective from Imperial
>Additional action phase secret objectives
>Grab shard of the throne or crown of emphydia from whoever has it

Four points takes a little planning, but it's a long ways from impossible.
>>
File: file.png (1.24 MB, 1280x720)
1.24 MB
1.24 MB PNG
>>67766097
>so you spent 160 USD + tax/shipping for a game you didnt like?
I've spent more on games I haven't opened.

Also did I miss the memo, is brainlet the word of the day or something?
>>
>>67768046
What do you mean by clunky? I don't really see faults in Race design apart from maybe military being the most boring thing ever
>>
>>67768075
I'm not sure how I feel about VORE: The Board Game.
>>
>>67768201
The phases are hard to communicate, and the whole production comes after shipping makes it hard to do a single turn coup. It's hard to tell what other people are doing, e.g. predicting their phase and then engine you set up is lackluster.

There is nothing "wrong" with race, it's just my group likes roll so much better, it's easier to get out, get invested in and actually play. It's unfortunate it's also simple mode in terms of strategy, comparatively. I just want the smooth gameplay of Roll with the higher challenge of Race.
>>
>>67768090
It has been used on the site for months now, curious how you missed it.
>>
>>67768361
>you can win by coming out the other end, but you will be...changed
Yea, its a bit looney innit?
>>
>>67768485
Certainly a unique theme, and coming from the artist and designer, I know its not really going for any fetish angle. I just don't think I'll be able to take it seriously.
>>
>>67768090
What sort of stuff anon? KS projects or do you find great deals and bulk buy stuff without the time to bring them out at sessions?
>>
>>67762812
>>67763273
>>67764202
Thanks for the replies. Deep Sea Adventure is their kind of game. I downloaded Race for the Galaxy just for myself because it looks pretty rad.
>>
>>67769067
>I downloaded Race for the Galaxy just for myself because it looks pretty rad.
That app is so well done. I play vs hard AI with all the expansions and have racked up a ton of games over the past two years.
>>
>>67769067
If Race looks a bit much for your group look up Jump Drive, which is basically an intro/fast version of the same system
>>
Are you guys hyped about ANKH, Eric M Lang's upcoming game?
>>
>>67770467
I'm curious how the "two or more gods/players will combine" thing work beyond: you're in same team but clearly not doing so hot. But that's about it.
>>
>>67770467
Go away Eric, haven't you got more overpriced garbage to stick your name on.
>>
File: 1537120011612.jpg (51 KB, 603x540)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>67770467
>discworld game
>lang at the helm
>>
>>67771490
Oh really, Ankh as in Ankh Morpork? Godamn now I'm bloody annoyed. How dare that fucking hack tarnish a masterpiece like PTerrys legacy with his filth.
>>
>>67771490
>>67771633
Uh, no it's not?
>>
File: pic4815198.jpg (58 KB, 600x600)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
Anyone hyped for Dune 2019 reprint?
>>
Got to play a 2-player Gloomhaven a couple of scenarios yesterday and a 3-player Edge of Darkness and Forbidden Stars today.

T'was a good weekend!
>>
Anyone play any of the hexplore it games?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hexploreit/hexplore-it-the-sands-of-shurax
thinking of backing, i don't have any really deep co-op fantasy games besides maybe spirit island, and that kind of thing seems my jam. That link is for the 3rd game of the series, so i'm wondering if anyone has played the other 2.
>>
>>67773315
I got the last two games through a KS I backed last year. Sold them the minute they arrived.
Watched a couple more videos of it, and it is pretty damn random and simple.
Get's boring after a few times I guess.

It's more of a beer & pretzel game.

Guess my taste did change somewhat over the last year.
>>
>>67773198
Isn't everyone?
>>
Anybody know a good container for ziplock games? Not sure how common this is outside of wargaming but cheap games come in bags instead of boxes. I basically want a big flat box so the maps and rulepages can stay unfolded.
>>
>>67773443
Plano molding, the fishing tackle company is what you want to look up. They'll have dozens of options for you
>>
>>67773708
i looked through their entire catalog and they don't have anything. Just need a simple box thats roughly 1 ft by 2ft to fit unfolded maps and such in. I could make my own out of wood but for the price and effort it would be overkill.
>>
>>67773242
Is Gloomhaven as good as everyone says? It's pretty hyped.
>>
>>67774052

If you can get people to play it regularly. The SU&SD review is pretty accurate. Although the PC version is coming along, maybe wait and try that first 'cause it's pretty expensive.
>>
>>67773443
I repurpose GMT expansion boxes.
>>
>>67774052
It's pretty gud.
Feels great building the world map out of what you discover.
Combat is awesome.
Leveling is awesome with the perks and hand management.

I love it.
I like Sword & Sorcery quite a lot too.
>>
Had friends over last saturday, played three games and I realized three things. So I'll blog a bit.

>Alchemists with King's Golem expansion
I have no idea why this game isn't more popular. It is so excellent and unique on so many levels.

>Shogun (the Wallenstein reskin)
Was really looking forward to playing it again, but I have to admit that setup was quite the chore... as was the manual. Shogun for some reason feels strangly statisfying to me, but it also (and this is something I usually don't mind) suffers a lot from the bland presentation. The artwork is almost nonexistent, quick information tables/reminders are either absent or ugly and barely functional. Still like the game a lot, but I'm afraid I have to sell it since everybody else found it to be rather meh.

>Terra Mystica
Still excellent. And even though I like Gaia Project better gameplaywise, TM feels like the better game for me simply because it supports 5 instead of 4 and TMs artwork is fitting and even charming compared to GPs hideous, hideous player boards and tech table. I also find it strange that with Gaia out, Feuerland announced that there'll be another expansion for TM coming soon.
>>
>>67774025
model 1619, the hunter's box, 15x13x24
>>
>>67774234
>>67774025
Alternatively I've found some good options over the years at hobby lobby, both in their craft storage and in the cheap unfinished wood project pieces. Might be worth the time to go looking there if you've got one nearby
>>
>>67774234
thanks that would work great I just don't have nearly enough games for something that deep to be worth it at the moment. when/if i expand my collection i will definitely go that route though because those boxes are great for the money.
>>
>>67752645
pretty sure the devs were french so I'm pretty sure it was just an unfortunate coincidence in translation
>>
>>67774344
Yeah I find myself thinking that a lot when looking up containers for either PnP or travel games. Hard to find a box that's the right dimensions on all 3 sides; and it always seems like too big a hassle to spend a weekend in the wood shop for something small like a copy of Perudo
>>
>>67774443

3D printers are now under $200. Granted that's a hobby in and of itself. But I can now make custom inserts or boxes for absolutely anything.
>>
>>67774052
I wasn't sold on it at first but the more I played the more I liked it. Don't play with 4 players though. If you don't like fiddly upkeep and keeping track of junk the app supposedly helps (we didn't use the app so I can't say for sure)
>>
File: pic1694681.jpg (59 KB, 800x533)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
>>67774469
Call me old fashioned, if I'm gonna make something I like to do it myself instead of machine. Plus I've already got the tools so it's less startup cost. On the other hand sometimes it's a bitch to find the hardware you want, especially at an affordable price. Gave up on knocking off some german guy's x-wing storage method because the latches were pricey when I could find them. Course them dropping 2e helped too, no reason to time sink on a dead game
>>
>>67774052
no, it's not. everyone is an asshole and gave your mother herpes, when are you going to stop listening to that faggot?
>>
>>67774186
Is alchemist without the expansion worth it?
Interested in it.
>>
>>67773443
go to your FLDollarS and buy sandwich boxes for lunch, make sure they stack if you have a number of the games.

if they're paper sized go to dollar or local craft store and get paper bins. they also stack. walmart has some that fit letter size folders perfectly and are about 2" deep. 12x12 is pretty common also.
>>
>>67746050

Skulls is probably the best game to drink with.

It's not complicated or even requires a lot of attention, but is still fun and has significant depth to it.
>>
>>67773242
Edge of Darkness rules. If it goes retail without the stupid minis and a smaller box, it's going to be big.
>>
>>67774402
True. Including esclavage in a game doesn't make it better because they are French.
>>
>>67774573
I didn't realize that FFG came an repo'd all the stuff you already paid for when they stop making new content. I'm shocked! SHOCKED!!!
>>
>>67776481
No, but it's harder to find a game for it when everyone else empties their wallets on the 2e stuff
>>
>>67776553
Can you not use the same ships?
>>
>>67776962
Models yes, cardboard no; they changed movement dials for a few ships and all the pilots/upgrades are vastly different. 1e is still a good kitchen table game, but any LGS or meetup has people wanting to play 2e because it's like any other LCG/CCG type game and has moved on.
>>
>>67777019
how did FFG justify 2nd edition? Not to the shareholders with: more money guys lolz, but to the fans? Was it poorly received at first?
>>
>>67777069
1e was getting a bit bloated, they sold it on cleaning up, adding stuff like force powers and also balance
>hey we fucked up by setting everything to 100pts and power creep
>now it's gonna have no printed points value, and everything's done via app so we can patch shit faster
No idea if it's true or not, I only had a modest 1e collection mostly used for HotAC and other variant formats, didn't really feel like blowing a couple hundred on a new system when it could be better spent on other games
>>
>>67777019
Can you not print out the cardboard bits?
>>
Any recommendations for small games with solo rules?
>>
>>67777263
For casual games sure, but it depends on what the locals at your LGS are like and if they're okay with proxies. The only store even remotely near me is pretty serious about tournament style play and doesn't go for it
>>
>>67777284
onirim, friday
>>
>>67777360
That's both sad and wasteful. can you just buy cardboard without the models?
>>
>>67777505
They sold upgrade packs for $50 iirc, which someone did the math on, if you owned pretty much the entirely of 1e it was worth buying them, otherwise you were left with loads of useless cardboard. Hell ebay 3rd party sellers are crazy about reselling individual cards/ship tokens/etc, it's basically like buying into MtG
>>
>>67777555
well if you have 1k $ invested in ships, seems to me 50$ is a small price
>>
>>67777612
Sure, but if your collection was sub $200, it's just wasted chits
>>
File: 51AgYxRvk2L._SX466_.jpg (56 KB, 466x466)
56 KB
56 KB JPG
Anyone have any good homebrew scenarios for TMNT? I love how modular the game is.
>>
>>67777628
true
>>
>>67777933
Honestly tho in fairness, if you had a $1k collection, you'd be buying 2-3 boxes for each faction, so then you're sinking $300+ into cardboard, and a lot of it won't be useable for several yearly waves. At that point might as well buy the new plastic and get better models along with the fresh cardboard
>>
>>67777284
Outpost Siberia
Space hulk :death angel (out of print because of 40gay theming)
One deck dungeon
Dungeon solitaire (and labyrinth of souls /devils playground)
Friday
Onirim
>>
>>67778857
Or you could not support such jewry, save your money and actually exercise some forethought so that when 3rd edition is released down the road you can turn round and say 'I told you so'.
>>
>>67779131
Sure, which is why I didn't buy in at all, hell I didn't buy into 1e until it was 5 years old and even then it was only stuff on clearance north of 60% off
>>
>>67774573

>2e dead game
What? Everything carries over with fairly reasonable conversion costs and the scene is big as ever. The meta is waaay healthier too.
>>
>>67779516
1e is the dead game, I stopped a project for 1e because 2e came out and I didn't feel like re-buying a bunch of shit just for cardboard
>>
>>67778857
>>67777933
>>67777628
>>67777612
>>67777555

Uhhh KINDA? I mean that's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is that you get basically the entire format's gameplay (except for ship models you have literally everything) for $50 a faction. Yeah the conversion cost isn't cheap, but what you get is really quite player-friendly. The gameplay and balance changes they've made have also substantially improved the game.

Hate to be the FFG shill, they've burned me plenty (Netrunner was my main game), but 2e is really the best thing they've done in a while.
>>
>>67779574
Don't get me wrong the conversion kit is one of the cooler things any game company has done when tossing out an old system. That said, if a game is being thrown out in favor of a 2e or new theme or whatnot, it's the best time to cut and run. Or double down if you haven't spent all the much and were waiting for a switchover
>>
>>67766333
print a mirrored scan of the map, stick it onto your board, go clockwise, problem solved
>>
File: 11710a-56d8d0ca24a20.jpg (568 KB, 1280x1280)
568 KB
568 KB JPG
What are the best card games? Preferably games that are fun without gambling
>>
>>67780592
Spades, Gin Rummy, Bridge, Euchre, Canasta and Cribbage are all classics (aka old peop'le games). You don't need to gamble even though some have bidding as a mechanic.
My gran had a book printed in 1914 by the Bicycle Playing Card Co. with rules for over 300 different card games and variants of 'em, I bet you could find something similar online, perhaps some more modern games too.
>>
>>67773242
We played Gloomhaven too, scenario 29 kicked our asses and it felt like a cheap shot. The session took too long and by the end no one was having fun or even trying to win, they just tried to sneak in as many XP and steal loot.
Gonna try next week again, but I don't look forward to it, I'd rather skip that bullshit anti-fun dogpile scenario.
>>
Red Dragon Inn is pretty good, to ruin friendhships
>picks Olivia
>shuffles eleven hundred thousand drinks into your drink deck
>draws Dragon Breath Ale with a chaser on his turn
>nothing personell, kid
>>
File: GameTM.jpg (14 KB, 200x200)
14 KB
14 KB JPG
>>67746748
>>67748760

As a GameTM The Mind doesn't even qualify but as an experience it's one-of-a-kind if you can suspend you disbelief and not game the system. Just go along with the ride and

Granted there's zero strategy in the game, zilch! The only decision you as a group make is whether to use a shuriken or not. But I wouldn't even call that strategy because you can't communicate and discuss.

The game is all intuition and psychic-awareness-whatever, but I've gotten some hilarious moments from it that wouldn't be possible in other games. So for all that's worth it fulfills a very specific niche in my collection. It's very low effort, low stake, low commitment and medium-to-high reward depending on how far you get.
>>
>>67773404
It's releasing this month and I have seen much discussion about it. Granted I'm not technically a fan of game since I haven't played the original but the reputation it has and what I've read about it made me pre-order it.

I've played Rex once and was moderately intrigued by it, but from what I understand Rex took some detours from the Dune ruleset, mostly to the negative. Also the theme in Dune speaks to me a lot more than TI.
>>
>>67730654
I look forward to the popular site that hears "your site is shit on mobile" and replies with "good, now you have a reason to fuck off and get a grown up computer"
>>
>>67773404
>>67782162
I suppose most people (like me) always had Dune on a "need to play" list somewhere, but haven't had the pleasure of actually playing it. And even though you can really get a lot from reading the manuals, I can't really talk about gameplay, balance, player powers etc. without having at least played it once.

So I just lurk. And wait until the first reviews and pictures of the game are out. Preorders are a blight upon humanity.
>>
>>67780592
>>67781415
Five hundred is a good expansion on Euchre, and Shut Up and Sit Down have a series on Youtube (not many episodes so far) called Card Games That Don't Suck; that's worth a look.
>>
>>67781415
Anon, you're almost certainly talking about the Hoyle books which list a butt-load of card games and variants. Quick google search on "hoyle card games" brings a ton of hits. Odds are extremely good that copies can be snagged for cheap off of Amazon.
>>
>>67779801
>if a game is being thrown out in favor of a 2e or new theme or whatnot
It wasn't really a new theme so much that 1e became a broken bloated mess during the end of its life. As a long time X-Wing player, it was really needed.
>>
>>67777284
Bios: Genesis, 2nd edition
>>
>>67782543
t. boomer
>>
>>67780592
Double Deck Oh Hell with 2 Jokers*, 7 players

jokers are ultimate trump, first out takes it
>>
>>67774689
Extremely worth it IMO. Got it for a mere 30 bucks. I'd recommend watching a playthrough/rules explanation and getting it if you like it.
But I have to add that if one person sucks a bit at deduction, it can end really badly for them.
>>
>metal gear sold out on amazon
fuck me ill never get that hind d now
>>
>>67782162
>>67782557
The biggest change I've noticed so far in the rulebook is a abolishing three player alliances. Which is FANTASTIC. A 2v2v2 table is a hell of a lot more interesting than 3v3 and will be a noticeable nerf to House Corrino.
>>
>>67731867
i did fury of dracula, carcasone, galaxy trucker, pocket imperium and mini dungeon adventures

my next one will be either that ghost punching game or memoir 44
>>
>>67784006
The change to the Fremen ally power was pretty good as well. I remember we'd houserule that Fremen allies could also avoid sandworm death, and fight at full strength without paying in non-stronghold areas, but that latter also demands that you're playing the advanced game (which is superior!).
>>
>>67777284
Phil Eklund games
>>
>>67777284
tiny epic galaxies
>>
File: spoonfeed.jpg (733 KB, 2205x3306)
733 KB
733 KB JPG
>>67782065
could you just explain it instead of making me go watch some stupid video?
>>
>>67777284
Ultra tiny epic galaxies/kingdoms are back on kickstarter for a few days. In spite of the lolsorandum names they're pretty decent games, especially at $10 a pop
>>
>>67785309
Why do Tiny Epic Kingdom have so shit rating on bgg? Any major flaw?
>>
File: 1565231913179.jpg (21 KB, 654x469)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
How come actual /tg/ content is relegated to one general, and yugioh and mahjong are banished to /vg/, yet this gay playing-pretend dogshit is all here instead of /qst/? Fuck this stupid board and all the retards on it.
>>
>>67785421
Would you rather that the entire general population of /tg/ was in here?
>>
>>67785421
You mean...your post? All flavors of fuck-face bullshit are allowed, asshat. Congrats on being an asshat, I guess.
>>
>>67786288
Are you 13 years old or something? Or probably just cripplingly autistic. Tg was in fact originally established to contain the shitty autism known as RPGs and 40k. Think of it as a board like mlp- quarantine the cancer. However, both of those shitty little hobbies died. Now, we're left with a dead board that no one gives a shit about and is improperly named. So it's about time that the draconic minority ruling party is thrown out. Tg should be renamed to "Board and Card Games", and the shitty darkRP shit should be merged with /qst/
>>
>>67786786
What happened to you that got you mad enough to actually make this post, man? I struggle to find a single thing in your post that isnt flat out wrong.
>>
File: 1459456643460.gif (2.99 MB, 174x200)
2.99 MB
2.99 MB GIF
>>67786786
>talking about autism
>being this autistic
Seems legit boio
>>
What is the best way to use the dice as a resource in your opinion?

What games use dice as resources?
>>
>>67787430
Troyes and Black Angel
Very curious about Black Angel tho
>>
>>67787430
>What games use dice as resources?
Ashes rise of the Phoenix born has my favorite take on dice as resource
>>
>>67787881
Roll for the Galaxy
Alien Frontiers
Sagrada

There are a lot of others too.
>>
>>67788085
Kingsburg is one right?
>>
>>67787430
Quantum has very interesting dice mechanics, but Indon't know if I'd call.it "the best" though.
Worst is roll to move and especially shit like Armada, where dice determine if you hit/succeed or not - but there are only a few rolls in each game, and those dictate how the game plays out, success and failure.
>>
>>67787430
Mage Knight
War of the Ring
>>
>>67774052
I played 8 maybe 10 times with different ppl and here are my thoughts:
This game is really slow unless the WHOLE party is immersed.
Combat system is challenging but fair; it really rewards players for their good planing.
Lore is incredible but you have to have a coherent crew that play with you so that everyone can recall to previous events, missions etc.
What I don't like:
Each player has to choose the right character that fits the whole party, otherwise the scenarios will be a chore.
If your party doesn't work together then it quickly morphs into a racing game where the players have to reach the exit or kill the one enemy needed to finish a certain scenario which is bullshit and kills immersion.
If you or one of your friends is not fluent in english, don't even try to form a coherent crew, although one can have fun while in battle, it will loose it's interest in the game while the story moments are highlighted which kills the immersion for the whole crew.

First 2 or 3 games were horrible then the next 3 or 4 were exciting but sadly it went downwards for me pretty quickly.
In defense of the game I have to say that the crew wasn't really a team but rather a group of individuals lead by one guy (the game owner)

I honestly think that Gloomhaven is a terrific game, but under very strict conditions and with a experienced crew.

Otherwise i suggest Descent to be more more fun and more board gamish. Gloomhaven is way over the top for me.
>>
>>67785420
I've got a few dozen playthroughs at 3-5 players so I'll chime in here.

Ultra Tiny Epic Kingdoms is a euro 4x that plays very quickly. I'd wager that the majority of negative reviews are because the game is relatively unforgiving right from the beginning. Every turn you take matters because the game ends so quickly. Adding to that the game ends very abruptly. Rather than ending when I player reaches a certain number of points, the "final round" is triggered once someone reaches a game-end trigger (finishing their research, tower, or army). After everyone has taken their final turn you tally points and see who has won. If your group is competitive you will be attempting to mentally calculate everyone's score mid-game, as well as figure out what their score will be depending on the actions you take. If a player doesn't pay attention to everyone else's scores they may trigger the end of the game when another player is in the lead, resulting in a disappointing and anticlimactic end.

Additionally, the combat in this game requires a ton of play to get used to. Players simply pitch resources to the battle, whoever throws more in wins. It is very easy for new players to sabotage themselves by throwing too much away attempting to win a battle.

That aside I think it's a pretty fun game. I've never played the expansion as it wasn't released in Ultra Tiny form. Its hard to call the game a "filler" unless your group is all hardened euro veterans. That said, it is fast and the play time and size make it easy to play spontaneously. I mostly played it during lunch breaks with a semi-competitive group.

I'd recommend the following house rule - rather than dealing 1 faction and 1 region card to each player randomly, deal three cards (in UTEK factions are on one side and regions on the other) to each player. From those cards each player chooses one faction and one region. This helps cut down on setup variance, and there's exactly enough cards for this to work with 5.
>>
>>67788523
I remember when I bought Descent second edition back in 2013 or 2014, I ended up playing it about 6-7 times and then I shelfed it because of how bland and clinical it feels.

Sword & Sorcery is a much better Descent for me.
Gloomhaven is its own thing in my opinion.

Sword & Sorcery is kinda like Exodus: Proxima Centauri where you can go everywhere and throw dice for combat all the time, while Gloomhaven is more like Forbidden Stars where you have to carefully plan your next moves because there is no takesy-backsy when the shit starts to flow.
>>
>>67787430
I think Monsterpocalypse does that? But its more of a minis game so not too much relevance to /bgg/
>>
>>67785421
There is not enough traffic to support board game topics outside of the single general. And a lot of the games we discuss are younger than 5e, so "traditional" isn't necessarily relevant.

Why don't you go be mad on >>>/r9k/?
>>
>>67787430
>What is the best way to use the dice as a resource in your opinion?
Roll for the Galaxy. Your dice are people or product depending on where they are.

Castle Dice has a nice dice pool of resources.

Mechanically (not what you asked) Sons of Anarchy. d6 added to a combat pool that usually averages 5, and again as a 50/50 does your dude die in hospital.

>What games use dice as resources?
the above two plus... sagrada? dice rolls tap specific resources in Castles of Burgundy but the dice aren't actually the resources.

In a sense One Deck Dungeon uses dice as resources, but not physical ones. I don't know I guess the tl;dr to the whole thing is
>by using dice as a resource
>>
>>67789612
What's the difference between ultra tiny epic kingdoms and tiny epic Kingdoms deluxe?
>>
File: great.gif (2.38 MB, 480x351)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB GIF
Daily reminder that Lisboa is the best game to have emerged in the last 10 years.
>>
>>67791371
SO MANY BABIES!

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.