[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: reflect.jpg (94 KB, 800x596)
94 KB
94 KB JPG
I've never had any players magic realm. People just make fairly normal fantasy characters and the worst I've ever seen them do is murderhoboing. I even allow players to play unusual races like Kobolds or Orcs and nothing has ever come of it. Yet going off of /tg/ magic realming is apparently prevalent in almost all groups.
>>
>>67206716
Caster supremacy. Never seen it. Not as tg describes it anyhow.
>>
Having a game group.
>>
>>67206716
I've been a GM/PC for 19 years now.
Seen everything bad about players at least once or twice, but never to the degree that it is described on this board.
Everything on 4chan is just a fable anyways, we all know that.
>>
>>67206716
I've never actually encountered a Mimic. I don't know if the DM never used them, or if we're all just so incompetent that we always manage to touch/steal/break everything that wasn't a mimic in a dungeon while overlooking it entirely.
>>
>>67206716
people going apeshit because their GM doesn't do things however CR or whatever d&d show does
>>
>>67206716
>Things /tg/ constantly complains about that you've never experienced
pretty much everything /tg/ complains about.
>>
>>67208784
/tg/ always complains about casters in absolute ideal which doesn't exist and therefore it is irrelevant
>>
>>67206716
Critical role nutjobs. Y'all talk about how LGSs are full of em and the people I've met that listen to it are sensible players that don't constantly reference it or try to recreate it. I've run quite a few one-shots at LGSs and DM'd for my younger brother's high-school age group (which seem like the usual crowd for critters) and none of the people I've run across have this issue.

The only problems I've had are people who cheat rolls and hardline Muh Pure Fantasy chuds that get their panties in a twist when a pc or npc is anything vaguely resembling a minority.
>>
>>67206716
The super unpredictable players who you can't plan for, and are so unpredictable you shouldn't even try. Maybe it's because I mostly play with the same group and have done so for a very long time, but I find it's pretty easy to guess how my players will react to a situation, in at least broad brushstrokes. I've never had say, an important NPC attacked and killed out of the blue and scrambled to figure out how to salvage the plot because I didn't see that coming.
>>
I have never once had an SJW in my game
>>
I've only had one player ever act anything like the shits /tg/ bitches about, playing female characters who were all sluts, min-maxing a tiefling monk, expressing autist-hermit tier racism in a wierd psuedo-fruedian slip, but in game so it was cool I guess

I found out later he was an avid /tg/ & /Pol/ lurker

I play with an unusually diverse group, half women, half gay, and majority non-white, as well as a variety of political views. The white, Norse pagan guy was literally the only problem
>>
/tg/ would like me to believe every bard, druid and rogue player arent obnoxious retards
>>
>>67208784
Caster supremacy comes specifically from D&D 3.0 and spin off Pathfinder, because those versions did not address the burgeoning power creep of casters in relation to martials.

Also, players can conceivably combine or customize spell effects IF the DM is bad and doesn't curtail it before it breaks everything.
>>
File: incel threads.png (132 KB, 354x488)
132 KB
132 KB PNG
A player bringing his girlfriend who ruins everything. The 'bringing girlfriend' I've seen several times, the 'ruins everything' never. Of course everyone's experience is different, but I have a STRONG suspicion whoever obsessively posts threads like pic related is the one with a real problem.
>>
>>67209553
I have never had a Nazi either
>>
>>67210527
I’ve seen it, but not to the party destroying degree. The DM’s girl being a player is the most distracting because she ended up being the main character and couldn’t fail
>>
>>67208784
you've never played with even a minimally competent caster then
>>
>>67210527
The worst I have seen on this situation is the girlfried suffering the cushion effect: She sits on the chair, seems comfy, but has no interaction on table. It´s basically having an spectator who made me waste my time walking her through character creation
>>
>>67209116
wrong
>>67209838
white guy did nothing wrong
>>
>>67210527
a friend of mine actually had this problem, the chick obviously didn't want to be there/didn't really know how to do anything. e.g. in the middle of a battle (5e) on her turn she said "I look at my spell book to see if I can find out what to do" and ended her turn
>>
>>67209553
YOu have, they just keep their mouth shut because they can't find anyone else to play with. Happens to me. I play with a bunch of retards but pretend they're smart.
>>
>>67208871
>Everything on 4chan is just a fable anyways, we all know that.
If that's true then this is a fable, too.
>>
>>67206716
Elves. I've never met one of them so I'm not sure what everyone is complaining about.
>>
File: 1562720341109.png (1.89 MB, 1024x787)
1.89 MB
1.89 MB PNG
>>67208784
>>67209116
To be completely fair, 90% of rpg players can't play a caster as perfectly as the white void theorycrafting required for caster supremacy. And it's even higher than 90% when accounting for /tg/ users.

But that doesn't mean it isn't real if you meet one of those 10% so inclined.
>>
>Lack of roleplaying in 4e
Me and my group did tons of it. Hell, we had more incentive to do so than in 3.P because the limited skill list made us have to think more like we did back in Basic D&D.
>>
>>67208921
Lucky you, I chewed out a little normie shit and got them to leave the table over this.
>>
>>67213161
You can roleplay anything, including other skirmish and board games. I have. So, even if 4E is shit, you can still have a good time with it.
>>
>>67213161
The giant list of abilities in 4e disagrees with your limited skill list mistake.
4e it's very easy to never roleplay because you have the worlds longest list of things you can point too and say "I do this."
But of course you can still RP despite that.
>>
>>67213215
>>67213260
The absolute vast majority of those powers are specifically for combat and even the ones that can be used outside of them are mostly things like "I shoot these arrows deep into the wall and make a makeshift ladder." And with the introduction of the Backgrounds and Themes, it helped people in my group really refine what they wanted from their character. Also, the DMGs had quite a fair bit to say on things like roleplaying, how to use character hooks from backstories, etc but I'm guessing a lot of people who bash the system never really even looked, they just saw that classes took up a huge chunk of the PHB and stuff and wrote it off as "wargamey" or some shit, something my group never even batted an eye at and we started with Basic, then Advanced 1e and 2e, then 3e (which we dropped in favor of CoC and WHFRP 2e until 4e came out) and we're now on 5e.
>>
The Quantum Ogre.
people only bitch about it in context of a hypothetical and no one has ever properly provided a situation where it was done in a way that was noticeable.
>>
>>67206716
Never had Chaotic Good Drizzt clones. Never had tieflings complain about prejudice.
>>
>>67216253

This.
>>
>>67212125
Wrong how? The shenanigans casters can do are happening are only allowed if the GM does a piss poor job of managing his own fucking campaign. Just think and roleplay a tiny bit more and the crunch dispells itself.

>>67212560
That is powergaming though.
>>
>>67209289
>>67210527
These, as well as:
>people who don't chip in for drinks/food
>people who don't clean after themselves
>people who show up drunk/stoned
and I've been perma-GMing for 10 years now
>>
>>67208784
While it wasn't full blown D&D 3.5 caster supremacy I did have a GM who clearly erred on the side of casters or at least he restricted martials to what "made sense" while casters could do whatever.

It was a rules-lite system and I ultimately ended up playing a battlemage since there was zero (literally zero) reason not to.
>>
>>67212098
I have seen this, played a campaign for a bit with a group and she just obviously wasn't interested but was playing to keep her fiancee happy. Don't get me wrong she was a total cosplay and LARP geek, just obviously didn't care for tabletop.
>>
>>67214087
I found it was okay but it certainly stifled roleplaying and verisimilitude in combat. Might not have helped that the DM cranked the challenge so we were kind of in a "do the optimal thing or die" mode and I don't know how reflective that is of 4e in general
>>
>>67206716
>Magical realm
Never encountered one gimmick more then twice and never seen a gm get uncomfortably into anything.
>Muh caster supremacy
It's rare I even SEE pure casters.I see more clerics then wizards and even then the ones I've seen get flexed on by the barbarian and Monk
>LE NAATTY TWEENY M-MORDY!
Unless you consider some "ooh"ing to be loosing your goddamed shit. Nobody I've played with freaks out.
>Munchkin wizards
Call it a 5e thing but I've also never seen a caster pull a fucking yu gi oh move. Ever. Nobody has ever wasted 5 minutes explaining how they combine effects to one-shot something with a spell
>"I cast X. Can we move on now?"
Even playing a bard I've never seen somebody end an encounter or hurdle with a single spell

Now things I've seen
>The disinterested/disruptive gf
tiefling fey warlock whose patron was the gm just telling her shit. Played a hermaphrodite and wasted her turns flashing enemies and looking for more people to fuck
>Powergaming
Mostly in AL. A player with a fighter/rogue/ranger setup taking sneak attack potshots from half a thousand feet with a magical bow his gm buddy got him.
>Pre-triggered dm
Enough "no evil characters ree" BS convinces me that people have been burnt often enough for me to be punished by pro
>>
>>67213179
You sound like one of those people I only hear about on 4chan and never meet IRL.

Listen mate if your play styles don't match, just tell them to fuck off. Abusing them until they leave on their own is extremely not cool.
>>
>>67206716
Difficult players in general. All the players I've ever had have been 100% subservient yes-men. Never once have I had a player try to argue for playing a weird race, disagree with a judgement or try to min-max anything. The closest would be a couple of players who didn't get the setting very well and kept proposing ill-fitting ideas during character creation but when I bent those ideas to fit or threw them out entirely they just accepted it without complaint.
Magical realm, critical role cultists and all the political stuff I've also never seen. Have had scheduling problems up to my eyeballs though.
I think it's probably a combination of playing homebrew systems and playing overwhelmingly with people with little-to-no prior experience.
>>
>>67208921
>>67209289
>join new group
>phb only
>aw yea
>dm starts getting requests for splatbookshit and caves immediately
>im now the only normal person in a party of fucking freaks and weirdos
>all their characters and personality are clearly influenced by critrole tumblr furbolg cowface shit
>my characters face when he has to react to these outrageous circumstances
god damn it not again
>>
This thread is full of "I fit the description for stereotype who is awful but in my opinion I am not awful so therefore you are wrong"
>>
>>67208784
After playing a mythic level sorcerer in pf i can say ot exists, yet it's at a scale that few campaigns will ever see.
>>
>>67213161
One of my favorite campaigns was in 4e and it had little to do with the system.
>>
>>67213179
Damn... What a badass
>>
That women somehow, solely by the fact of their sex, can ruin a game. Played with relatively many, and rarely have they been the problem player. Usually it's the fat neckbeard types who says "normie" IRL unironically, that fucks the game up.
>>
>>67206716
>Yet going off of /tg/ magic realming is apparently prevalent in almost all groups
I think that is a hyperbole. It's just stories about them are entertaining. I also suspect there are far more accusations than actual happenings.

>>67208784
I think that is a leftover meme from 3.5e
Then again I never played Pathfinder, and barely any D&D so I could be wrong, and it could still exist.

>>67206716
>female players wrong
I only played once with a female, and while she was a bit unimaginative but that is okay, we played D&D anyways she was a golden player.
>>
>>67206716
>Magical realm.
Well, I've had people play characters whom I know pertain to some of their fetishes, but it's not like they're fapping under the table or being disruptive about it during the game. They just did characters they like.

>Caster supremacy
No sane GM would allow it to go on for long, anyway.

>Players making unasked for skill checks
Maybe I just raised them well, but mine never do that. They always ask permission, or wait for me to tell them they can make a check if they want.

>Players thinking nat twenties mean anything is possible
I usually have it at a particularly good success if it's a normal check, or just a success if it's a very difficult task.
Worst that happened was one PC seduced a sexless, emotionless being on a 20, and confused the hell out of them, because that was inconsequential and funny at the time.

>People bitching about the content of the world
I have a setting where there's rape, slavery, women fighters, communism, imperialism, racism, homosexuality and all sorts of things that make sense for the world and provide conflicts for the story, and nobody ever told me they didn't like it.

>Completely socially inept players
We're all a bit socially awkward, but everybody showers, nobody's unhealthily fat, and everyone is at least moderately polite. How does one even learn to play ttrpgs if they can't into basic human skills?
>>
>>67206716
This. I told my normo players "no magical realm" as a guideline once and they were legit confused. I explained it and they were still confused that people would do that in mixed company, like that shit only happens in seedy chatrooms.

They understood when I just said "autism" tho.
>>
>>67210527
The girlfriend thing happened to me and it was a disastah. GF was wasn't too terrible a player, but just wasn't that into it. Ok I guess, I can deal she's not hurting anyone or anything...

Then she brought along some aspie orbiter from work who was a total retard and didnt even know how to play despite claiming to be a veteran.

Then she was a slut and they broke up and it sunk the campaign because her BF (our friend) didn't want to play that campaign since it reminded him of her.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.