[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Group Portrait Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Artificer v2
https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-Artificer2-2019.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/
>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previous thread:
>>67188653

Does your party have a name that everyone knows you by? Are the PCs an ad-hoc group, or are they mostly part of the same organization?
>>
Because anon was retarded and couldn't understand

>Spell Snare
>Casting time: 1 reaction, which you take when you see a creature within 60 feet of you casting a spell
>Classes: wizard
>Components: S
>Duration: instantaneous
>Level: 1
>School: Abjuration
>Target: A creature in the process of casting a spell

>You interrupt a creature in the process of casting a spell.
>If the creature is casting a spell of the selected school, its spell fails and has no effect.
>When you prepare Spell Snare, you choose a school of magic that Spell Snare can affect.
>You may prepare Spell Snare multiple times and choose a different school for each preparation.
>If you learn Spell Snare instead of preparing it, you may choose one school when you finish a long rest.
>>
So my players just got in Vallaki and just triggered the St Andralls feast scenario and just finished interrogating Milikov. A bit of a background the Valor Bard who is a Noble is being given shelter by Lady Wachter. The Zealot Barb of Kelemvor and Battle master who is a monster Hunter are tagging along. The Forge Cleric Dwarf doesn't want to go in the Village because it will be closed until the Festival is over in 3 days. He opened his Smith right outside the town gate by the river waiting for the festival to end since he has to get to the north gate to Lake Zarovich to the Balinok Mountains. How should I handle this complex place? Barovia was pretty simple and empty, how do I do this?
>>
What's the point of Find Steed? It's not any better than a regular mount. Find Steed's Steed has int of 6 but is either independent and you can't do ride-bys or incapable of attacking.

I already allow the mount to take its action+movement any time during the riders turn, sharing the turn of the rider and allowing each to take an action. Should I allow find steed to follow the rules I play by but give the steed the option to attack?

RAW mounts are pretty crud.
>>
>>67200907
It's cheap. As in, costs 0 gold and comes guilt-free for when (not if) your mount gets killed, because it's a spirit, not a real Twilight Sparkle. You can also cast it whenever you need a mount, even if you a thousand miles away from a closest iHorsey shoppe.
>>
>>67195453
Tell your DM to check the 4E Neverwinter Campaign Setting. It's full of factions that might want to spy on the city. Other than an agent of the Zhentarim or Harpers (or both!), your character could be:
-A thrall for the Abolethic Sovereignty, advancing the agendas of those ancient mind-controlling creatures.
-A member of the Red Wizards of Thay, who can be pretty subtle and certainly make enemies of enemy nations.
-An inhabitant of Evernight, a dark echo of Neverwinter, gathering corpses and intelligence for its undead and necromancer allies.
-A mercenary from Bregan d'Aerthe, the drow organization led by Jarlaxle.

>>67195478
That's one weirdass question but from what little I've seen of the show and relevant adventures, PotA and SKT have some decent opportunities for faction play (turning the cults against each other, allying with some giants).

>>67195507
You seek to commune with the mammals and take their forms to understand their strange "emotions". Perhaps there is something to be learned here.

>>67195516
Would help if you gave us details on the location. The Alexandrian has a lot of heist-related DMing info and actually reworked all of Dragon Heist, including new maps that you could grab.
>>
>>67200907
What do you mean cant do drive bys? If its independent it can attack, but you dont want to do that. Tell it what to do. And what it does is ride you over to an enemy, mounted rider uses booming blade, then mount uses disengage action. Nex turn when the goob starts chasing, you cast a spell, and the mount dashes away.
>>
File: 1561807131092.png (737 KB, 700x768)
737 KB
737 KB PNG
This is a dumb question, but does counterspell check for what the normal level of a spell is or the slot used to cast it? I.e does a 9th level magic missile have the same counterspell difficult check as Time Stop?
>>
>>67201080
The sot used to cast it
>>
>>67200852
Too narrow to be useful.
>>
>>67201080
>When a spell caster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts magic missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that magic missile is 2nd level.
Page 201 of PHB.
>>
>>67200961
>not a real Twilight Sparkle.

I should hope not; Twilight’s strong enough to serve as a warlock patron at this point.
>>
File: 1561816080303.jpg (22 KB, 370x420)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>67201088
>>67201111
Missed that, cheers.
>>
>>67201120
>a warlock patron
Shit, I dropped it early in s6 because I couldn't handle the cringe of Newbie Dash episode, maybe I should get back to it.
>>
I need your best „read the PHB“ macros
>>
>>67200828
I brought up the prospect of a name to our party, to which our dwarf immediately shot me down and that was the last we discussed of it.
>>
Whet's better: Ranger 1/Rogue 1/Ranger 18 or Rogue 1/Ranger 19?
>>
>>67201221
ranger 5/rogue 15
>>
>>67201221
What are you dipping rogue for? 1d6 sneak attack and expertise?
>>
>>67201221
>Ranger Hit die d10
>Rogue Hit die d8

Gee I wonder
>>
Are Sun Soul Monks fun or good?
>>
>>67201245
Reads Iike a fun firebender to me
>>
>>67201236
anon you solved it hit die is the only thing that determines which class is strongest so the only optimal thing to do is just play barbarian
>>
>>67201221
Rogue for an extra skill
Ranger for martial weapons, although rogue already gets most of the useful ones unless you want something weird like a whip
>>
>>67201164
Season 6 is good. Season 7 is a bit rough to get through because the overarching story and the final villain just isn’t that interesting. Season 8 is pretty fun, with a bunch of new characters (Ocellus the changeling a cute! CUTE!!!), and the final villain can be summed up as “Darla Dimple from Cats Don’t Dance weaponizes Facebook”.

Season 9 so far has been pretty strong, with one episode, “Frenemies”, being entirely from the villain’s perspective from start to finish, no appearances by any main characters, and managing to edge its way into my top 5 favorite MLP episodes of all time. Pretty good for such a late arrival.
>>
>>67201236
>Hit level 2
>Both options have exactly the same health
>>
>>67201293
Then the new player that picked barb to be a savage is actually a powergamer because he picked barb and used a greataxe.
Related, his powergamed barb died. He hasn't responded to my texts so I'm going to have a pregen for him, what do I give him that doesn't require complex strategy or reading spells?
Do I give him arcane trickster with booming blade anyways?
>>
>>67201307
I couldn't get through the first few eps of S3. Does it get better?
>>
>>67201333
The same barbarian but with a different color scheme
>>
>unironic ponyfaggots
go back to your containment board, horsefuckers
>>
>>67201341
Season 3 has the return of Trixie, so I think so. That being said how much you like the last episode of it depends heavily on how much you like the idea of Twilight Sparkle as an alicorn.

For the record her being an alicorn isn’t a power boost, she’s just a tiny bit taller. Both the first Equestria Girls movie and much of Season 4 is given over to Twilight not really knowing what being an alicorn “means” and trying to figure it out. Season 4 is very strong, though, and culminates with, I shit you not, a DBZ style fight that goes on for a solid three or so minutes (pretty long given the show) between Twilight Sparkle and the villain, Lord Tirek.

Season 5 is also pretty good because it introduced Starlight Glimmer as a villain, who is basically Twilight Sparkle if she had no sense of proportion and grew up without Spike or Shining Armor as a moderating influence.

Starlight’s plans are always great. A typical Starlight solution to "I see a fire" is "1) Realize fires need air. 2) Spend as many years as it takes to work out a way to remove the entire planet's atmosphere to deny the fire its air. 3) Cast spell or fully implement solution. 4) Go back and see if the original fire's still there.
>>
>>67201333
Champion fighter
>>
>>67201326
>not rolling for HP
>>
File: 1506614455829.jpg (48 KB, 615x710)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>67201362
this, fucking hell what is wrong with you lot
>>
Anyone got a list of generators? I've been using donjon and Eigengraus Generator with decent success, looking to offload more boring work onto the machines.
>>
>>67201404
Oh, just to connect this back to D&D, Starlight Glimmer reminds me of that one elf that one human fucked, index and then died, and then that elf spent the next several millennia trying to bring him back to life, and the group basically spent five campaigns dealing with an elf with no sense of proportion.
>>
>>67201426
>index

*once. What the Hell, autocorrect?
>>
>>67201326
/5eg/ in a nutshell, where even the rules for character creation are unknown.
>>
>>67200881
The problem here as I read it is that the party is split. Find a reason to drive the Dwarf to Lady Wachter, perhaps she wants to entertain the party as a whole and see where their allegiances lie. Let the party explore her house and basement. Give them a couple of days to meet other people in the town and then kick off the festival.
>>
File: 1516132270195.jpg (111 KB, 623x414)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
>>67201362
>>67201414
Honestly it explains a lot.
>>
I've been wanting to start up a game again after previously running Forge of Fury which was a more lengthy dungeon crawl. However, this time around I've decided I think I'd like to make my own adventure, and something more than a simple dungeon crawl. So, I prepared this big huge map, came up with these factions, made up a history and now they're all pitted against one another in a looming civil war. The issue is I don't know what the "actual campaign." is yet, as in, what the players are meant to be doing, whom they're working for and what the "end" of the campaign is even meant to be. It'd be nice to maybe come up with some sort of quest that would involve them traveling around to meet the different factions, do something in their territory and then down the line force them to side with someone in the larger conflict. But what could that be? I worry I may be biting off more than I can chew here.
>>
>>67201453
That unless fun is being had in a very narrow way, many Anons hate it?
>>
>Warlocks are so shit that I've had to flavour my Eldritch Blast as a crossbow attack just to remain viable in combat
I LOATHE the reliance Warlock has on Eldritch Blast.
>>
>>67200828
The characters are members of an adventuring guild called The Pathfinder Company, in the employ of a cabal of spellcasters called The Diligent Mages. The DMs give quests to the PCs, ho ho, do you see what I did there?
Despite being set up as a meta-gag, we've actually ended up running it fairly straight...

On a related note: the group has moved their base of operations to Waterdeep, and I'd like to work Factions in (as it'd be an easy way to give out quests and missions). Now, our Cleric would like to join the Harpers (in their backstory their mother is a Harper agent). However, the Harpers tend to recruit intelligent spellcasters, and the Cleric is only one of those things (their background is a Soldier, so I see it as they lack imagination and flexibility, rather than being stupid).
Currently, I'm thinking that while the Harpers are normally all about subtlety and secrecy, sometimes in an emergency they need to make use of a blunt instrument, particularly one with a level of plausible deniability. Would this be a suitable rationale for the Harpers recruiting a bunch of adventurers who could be generally considered Nice But Dim? They'd operate as a Harper strike team, rather than being infiltrators and information gatherers.
The Cleric and Paladin are a shoo-in for the Order of the Gauntlet though, so I'll put that to them and see how they feel.
>>
>>67201501
>Warlocks unironically sell their actual souls (which are proven to exist) for a couple of parlor tricks and never having to buy crossbow bolts again
At least in 3.5 they could invis@fly at-will. 5e warlock should be npc-class only, reserved for creatures with less than 7 int and wis.
>>
>>67201477
>That unless fun is being had in a very narrow way, many Anons hate it?
I'm all for everyone enjoying themselves but tolerance gets abused often now.
>>
>>67201501
At the very least Agonizing Blast should instead let you pick one cantrips to apply it to. So like Create Bonfire can be 1d8+Cha modifier.
>>
>>67201501
Warlock is all about concentration spells and utility
If that's not what you're after, just play wizard
>>
>>67201608
Honestly /tg/ is one of the most pony-friendly boards I know, most of the best discussions about pony I’ve had on this board. If GR15 were to be taken down anywhere, /tg/ would be my first choice.
>>
>>67201573
>>Warlocks unironically sell their actual souls
Except that's wrong for everything except sometimes fiend warlocks
>>
>>67201620
>warlock
>utility
"No!"
>>
File: cox.gif (532 KB, 300x201)
532 KB
532 KB GIF
>>67201573
>Warlocks unironically sell their actual souls
>>
>>67201410
>>67201354
I will present him with an arcane trickster with whip proficiency and spell sniper and an ancients paladin with sentinel.
He can flub through these if he can't write down "fighter, greatsword" on his own.

Rogue gets whip proficiency from vuman skill becoming whip proficiency or a BG skill/tool replacement. I can do this because I'm DM and I don't think he'll realize what I've given him.
>>
>>67201642
>all of the at-will utility shit from invocations and tome/chain
>not utility
yeah, stick to wizard, brainlet
>>
>>67201655
If he's too much of a brainlet for spells, just give him booming blade from the spell sniper cantrip and make him a simpler rogue subclass
>>
>>67201628
I think that's because a lot of fa/tg/uys are rpg players and that mlp is a decently simple setting and maybe using pony brand will get nonplayers in. There was some OP extensive homebrew like 45 page PDF for 5e mlp.

I don't like Star Trek or Harry Potter, but they're also valid rpg settings to emulate.
>>
>>67201658
>all of the at-will utility shit from invocations and tome/chain
I can give you Chain as utility, but not at-will invocation garbage fire """utility""" nor tome.
The utility from having at will invocation instead of many slots for utility spells is dubious at best, and if you wanted rituals a class with ritual casting like Wizard and Cleric would've been a better choice.
>>
>>67201676
Probably better idea, desu.
Scout?
>>
>>67201722
Warlocks with that invocation have access to all 33 rituals in the game. Wizards only get 18, Clerics/Druids get 13.
I agree that Warlocks aren't necessarily great, but you're just plain wrong on this point.
>>
>>67201722
Book of Ancient Secrets is stronger than wizard or cleric ritual casting because it’s not class limited. You can cast any ritual spell you copy regardless of its class list, whereas wizards and clerics are limited to their own spell lists.
>>
>>67201752
>>67201758
Having potential access to all rituals != the DM gives your the rituals you want
Tome is great IF you get those rituals, but unlike proper classes the warlock can't choose to gain rituals at level up.
>>
>>67201779
This is true, but DMs who cuck you on that are likely to be DMs who'll fuck you on other things.
>>
>>67201794
Not necessarily, and consider the fact that in the same game where the warlock is getting ALL the rituals then probably the wizard is getting ALL the spells.
>>
>>67201779
RAW there is no requirement that the spell be written to be obtainable, so having the divine casters cycle through their ritual spells will be enough to make you as good as a cleric or Druid.
>>
>>67201722
>bunch of cantrips and ritual spells or an invisible familiar with opposable thumbs that you can control from anywhere on the same plane
>at-will detect magic
>at-will disguise self (alter self at high levels)
>at-will silent image
>120 feet bright light darkvision that works in magical darkness
>see through walls
>constant push + slow on multiple enemies
>extra ranged bonus action healing with celestial
>free AoE charm person every short rest with archfey
warlock has great utility, you're just the kind of smooth brain player that wants to spam fireballs all day
>>
>>67201808
The gold needed for warlocks to get rituals and wizards to get anything close to their entire spell list is not remotely comparable
>>
Can I grapple an opponent with a reach weapon like halberd?
>>
>>67196036
Look into CR-appropriate demons: a Nalfeshnee can scare PCs (maybe by letting out a horrible wail) and teleport (turn into bones, reform somewhere else?), a Shooshuva gets a nasty stinger and rampage ability, you could give it a flying speed.

>>67197531
There's a phoenix-themed paladin homebrew called Oath of Rebirth. It's surprisingly great.

>>67201464
You could just come up with a few "hooks" and let them play in a sandbox for a while until plot naturally takes shape.

You could have a big event happen at the PC's location, like a peace treaty being signed, a magic item auction, a succession feud, a cataclysm. Each faction send agents to gather information or influence the event, and those agents may end up approaching the PCs (to recruit them, study them, etc) or simply do something attention-catching within view of the PCs (in a way that really shows what the faction is about).
>>
>>67201816
to be fair, fiend can spam fireballs all day
>>
>>67201808
>33 spells for warlock, highest being a 6th level spell
>306 for Wizard to complete their spellbood
How is this a comparison?
>>
Looking over the artificier, which specialization do people think is better? Alchemy or Artillery?
>>
>>67201840
No
Ask dm for kuotoa mancatcher
>>
>>67201867
Artillerist is more quirky but Alchemist has much better fundamentals. The homunculus is lame, but bonus to healing spells is a lot stronger than bonus to cantrips, and bonuses to potion crafting are a lot more useful (especially at low-mid levels) than bonus to wand crafting.
>>
>>67201816
>>at-will detect magic
Pointless, ritual cast it.
>>at-will disguise self (alter self at high levels)
Debatable utility, you probably don't need it more than a couple of times per long rest.
>>at-will silent image
Ok.
>>120 feet bright light darkvision that works in magical darkness
Only worthwhile utility invocation but possibly only useful if you make it so by casting Darkness yourself.
>>see through walls
Limited in uses and useful situation to be used in.
>>constant push + slow on multiple enemies
Sure.
>>extra ranged bonus action healing with celestial
Actual powerful option by itself, doesn't really sell the class alone tho.
>>free AoE charm person every short rest with archfey
Not that great actually.
>warlock has great utility, you're just the kind of smooth brain player that wants to spam fireballs all day
And you're the kind of smooth brain player using "at-will" invocation twice a day and calling it the second coming of jesus.
>>
>>67201857
True, Wizard is too good in comparison.
>>
>>67201915
>ritual cast it
takes 10 minutes as opposed to doing it instantly, and have to do that 10 minute ritual again if you want it for more than 10 minutes
>you probably don't need it more than a couple of times per long res
it's still a thing you can infinitely with no time limit and without spending other resources
>Only worthwhile utility invocation but possibly only useful if you make it so by casting Darkness yourself
even in normal darkness, you have double range and better vision than everything else
>Not that great actually
Pretty great, especially with all the very good concentration spells you get as well
>And you're the kind of smooth brain player using "at-will" invocation twice a day and calling it the second coming of jesus
No, I just have high enough INT to be able to take advantage of utility without needing the game to play itself for me
>>
>>67200828
One of my groups became officially known as the Storm's Heralds. The others have never had a proper party name or major ties other than being hired by the same PC/NPC. I occasionally tease my current group into finding a name, since they're reaching literal "name level" soon.

>>67201573
>Warlocks unironically sell their actual souls
doubt.jpg
Could you fit the relevant bit of text? I don't recall it being a soul contract with fiends, let alone with the other patrons.

>>67201840
Why? You can't even grapple an opponent with a regular weapon. You need a free hand or something like a tentacle or w/e.
>>
>>67201867
Battlesmith and Archivist are both better. For SAD bullshit and cheesy ass ghost assassin.

Out of those two, probably Alchemist? But it's close as fuck.
>>
>>67201908
I dunno, that inspiration thing the homunculus can do looks pretty nice for what it is.
>>
>>67201980
Not him but I like the cover granted by artillerist turrets
Just too bad that they scale like shit and the wand thing is pretty useless
>>
Anybody else hate detect magic?
>>
>>67201988
Oh yeah I’m not saying it’s mechanically bad, I’m just saying the homunculus as a concept attached to the alchemist is lame. They are working on a homunculus-less alchemist, which I do look forwards to.
>>
>>67200961
>>67201120
>>67201164
>>67201307
>>67201341
>>67201404
Imagine the smell
>>
>>67202006
As a DM, I hate most magic
>>
>>67202006
No because my players think they can solve everything by pushing one of five buttons
>attack
>perception
>insight
>persuasion
>thieves tools
With no regard to actually interacting with anything.
>>
>>67202114
And you just let them get away with that?
>>
>>67201077
Mount and rider don’t go on the same turn. You have to house rule to fix it.
>>
>>67202069
Currently Old Spice aqua reef. Possibly some sweat since I work outside and it’s a hot day, or soil or plants since I work in the garden center at Lowe’s and am just on my break.

It’s almost like it’s possible to like a thing without necessarily confirming to stereotypes. Or is everyone here a basement-dwelling nerd with no social skills who’s never had a girlfriend and sacrifices cats to Satan while pretending to be a dragon? Because that’s the D&D stereotype.

Then again even as I typed that I considered where I am...
>>
>>67202026
I understand why they want to keep homunculus from being its own subclass because that would basically have to be minion-based and they're terrified of that this edition.
>>
How are these ideas to make the Assassin useful outside an infiltration based adventure?

Lv 9: Double poison damage with poisons the character made himself.

Lv 13: Melee attacks that get Sneak Attack bonus deal 50% bleed damage the next round.
>>
>>67202121
No
I don't count any rolls I don't explicitly call for and don't let them "make a perception check"
At least say "I search the walls for hidden doors"
I let doing the correct thing automatically work.
The party once found a dead end and got frustrated at their disadvantage on perception in complete darkness because they didn't use light so the barbarian said he punches the wall in rage and he found the secret door. (This barb was the one most likely to interact with things rather than the system)
>>
>>67202182
First one is fine, second one needs some kind of limit
>>
>>67202162
Go to any porn site and search “mlp”. It’s gross sex shit. Disturbed people that sexualized a tv show for infants
>>
>>67202006
As a DM I can easily deal with it. It only detects spell-like influence and doesn't even locate the source of the magic. The only annoying part is having to make up a school for whatever weird effect your player just pinged because ah, fuck, you forgot about those. It's a good spell and it makes sense that magic-users should be able to sense-magic.

But Zone of Truth? Detect Thoughts? Identify and its short rest equivalent for magic items? Fuck that. I like to have some mystery and light investigation in my game beyond level 1.

Don't even get me started on other cheap low level spells made for the express purpose of obliterating curses, disease, thirst and starvation from the game entirely. (Yeah, these are fine in a gritty rests game where you're burning a significant resource I suppose.)

People say Tiny Hut but that one is easily solved by the GM enforcing realistic consequences for plopping down an obviously magical camouflaged bunker in the dungeon and keeping it up all afternoon.

>>67202069
We're already on /tg/, the whole board reeks of BO.
>>
>>67202162
Good characters, decent plots, good animation, and a pretty surprising amount of effort given the target audience. The usual stuff.

As an example of the effort, an early Season-2 episode has one character, Princess Luna, use extremely accurate Early-Modern English throughout the entire episode. Like, correct sentence structure and usage of “thou” and so on.
>>
>>67202213
8- to 12-years-old is infancy now?
>>
>>67202321
Lmfao
>>67202363
8 year olds are too mature for MLP, you sad, broken man
>>
>>67202321
Congrats on having the same taste as my 3 year old niece, you disgusting queer mantoddler
>>
>>67202447 >>67202472
Seething.
>>
>>67201628
>>67201687
Fuck off faggots
>>
I want to have future weapons like guns and chainswords but also laser swords and laser guns. Do these rules exist somewhere? Should I make my own? How much damage would a gun or laser sword do?
>>
>>67202572
There's some stuff in the DMG, if I recall.
>>
>>67202589
It’s only a few examples and not really a new fleshed out weapon list. I thought of having all the weapons deal an extra die of damage to make the distribution of damage more like a bell curve, representing better overall killing power. Does that seem overpowered?
>>
Pony shit outside /mlp/ is against site rules. When you see their posts, do your civic duty.
>>
Does Ranger have any use in a seafaring campaign? Open sea doesn't appear to be favoured terrain.
>>
>>67202572
You can base them off of the existing medieval-ish weapons with little to no modification. Hit points are not meat points. An arrow piercing your spine kills you just as much as a pew pew laser gun melting your eyes and brain.
>>
Are there any rules for destroying magic items in 5e?
>>
>>67202686
A S K
Y O U R
D M
>>
>>67202696
Magic items usually have double the hit points of their mundane equivalent and artifacts usually can't be destroyed except by very specific means (e.g the book of vike darkness being ripped in half by a solar)
Otherwise you can give them a good whack and they'll break
>>
>>67202182
First is interesting, but I don't see why it shouldn't work to poisons you've bought. With how much gold that shit costs, you've earned it.
Second I like the concept, but that's a lot of damage. What if bleeding instead made it impossible for the target to hide and it automatically left tracks? Then again that's a bit of a ribbon.

>>67202202
Not the same anon but you're a good GM. I hope your players learn to be clever and pay more attention.
>>
>>67202694
But how do I justify stuff like loading a single bullet to shoot every round for a rifle (now rules) and a medical sword doing the same damage as a laser sword or chainsaw sword. Why even do a future theme if everything is the same?
>>
>>67202743
(Bow rules), chainsaw sword*
>>
I have a Tiefling Divine Soul Sorcerer in my party
>>
>>67202743
>how do I justify stuff like loading a single bullet to shoot every round for a rifle (now rules) and a medical sword doing the same damage
Balance the numbers (including cost, cost to use, etc., not just raw combat stats) and come up with a justification afterwards. For example, I'd argue that a gun is somewhat harder to dodge and significantly more demoralizing to be up against than a bow. Again, keep in mind that hit point does not equal meat point. From Basic Rules:
>Hit points represent a combination of physical and mental durability, the will to live, and luck. Creatures with more hit points are more difficult to kill. Those with fewer hit points are more fragile. A creature’s current hit points (usually just called hit points) can be any number from the creature’s hit point maximum down to 0. This number changes frequently as a creature takes damage or receives healing. Whenever a creature takes damage, that damage is subtracted from its hit points. The loss of hit points has no effect on a creature’s capabilities until the creature drops to 0 hit points.
>>
>>67202736
>Magic items usually have double the hit points of their mundane equivalent
That's... kind of disappointing. Thanks anyway
>>
>>67202743
Refluff crossbows, not bows.

If you want future stuff to coexist alongside modern/near-future stuff you're going to need to do a lot of balancing tweaks. You could make modern the standard and make future the special stuff with limited ammunition that's basically magic items.

Also why the hell are you running this in D&D.
>>
>>67202861
Star finder is gay and I want laser guns, that’s why.
>>
>>67202907
Is it?
>>
>>67202907
>Star finder is gay and I want laser guns, that’s why.
Me too, anon, me too. I've been tempted to write a Dune-type setting with huge feudal houses that own everything. All ships are given out by family, loyalty or excellence for new captains. Any Star Captain can get/earn licenses from the different houses for bounties, faction rank and trade licenses. All warfare is channeled by law so most large fleet battles and land warfare is outlawed and instead goes through a highly ritualistic system that uses Star Captains to achieve their aims, while declaring formal wars, trade wars, etc - this is to keep the focus on Star Captain play. The empire is built out of the ruins of a vast empire with more tech, so there are plenty of cool ruins and crazy stuff to bump into if that's where the players want to go. Lots of room for intrigue, ship battles, pirating, exploration.
It's just too much time for me, though.
>>
>>67202213
Never been to /co/ I see
>>
>>67202686
Ballast.
>>
>>67202907
Use Stars without numbers then, using dnd for pure sci-fi is megadumb
>>
>>67203052
>Use Stars without numbers then
SWN is great for what it is, but it is not focused on character progression and customization, on purpose; DnD does that.
>>
>>67203052
But sci-fi is stupid. You could make everything work with magic to fly around in space easily. Using only technology would be dumb. Everything should be flying space castles, fighters with laser weapons killing space pig orcs and wizards doing super science.
>>
>>67202738
>>67202207
Give the second one 1/3 of the damage (round down)?
>>
>>67201840
No, but there's a Trip Attack maneuver.
>>
>>67202006
As someone who recently rolled up a celestial warlock (probably a bad idea but last campaign I played a cleric and didn't want to retread the exact same playstyle) I can't wait to use at-will, no limitations, Detect Magic.
>>
Any good cyberpunk homebrew for 5e? I understand there are probably actual non-DnD games I could run but my group doesn’t want to learn a new system.
>>
>>67202792
Tieflings breed true, so it could happen, I guess. It'd be pretty odd if this character was the offspring of a devil, though.
>>
>>67202792
>Comes from a line of people so attractive that celestials, demons, devils, elementals, extraplanar deities, etc have pumped potent semen into the women of the family.
>>
>>67200881
>He opened his Smith right outside the town gate by the river
What a drooling retard. Send some Strahd minions to raze the place, preferably when he's there.
>>
>>67203508
Just refluff all the weapons and armor. Include more sci fi magical weapons.
Read a bunch of Eberron
>>
>>67201326
>10+5
>8+6
Retard.
>>
I just joined a game that gives free feats at level 1. Any two feats I want. Any homebrew is also allowed. I have never had this level freedom before. What do I even make?
>>
>>67204170
>any two feats
Good golly that's a lot
Really you could do anything with that level of freedom, what kind of character do you want to play?
>>
>>67204217
I was thinking cleric since the party is mostly melee boys.
>>
>>67200907
The mount doesn't have to be a normal horse for one thing. Your DM can give a strong horse for righteous crusading, it's right in the text.
>>
>>67204170
Hill Dwarf Draconic (or Stone) Sorcerer with Tough and War Caster. Be the beefy caster boi you were always meant to be.
>>
>>67202792
nobody cares about making sense roleplay-wise anymore senpai
>>
>>67204170
Find some trash on D&D wiki
I'd just take something boring like resilient con+war caster shepherd/moon druid or sentinel+pam on an extra attack class.
Maybe shield master+? on duergar barbarogue or something.
I'm not creative.
Half-elf eleven accuracy + pam on paladin, then hexblade at 2nd level. Spear is applicable if you don't want to get hexblade to 3.
>>
>>67204236
Default choice would be Resilient Con + Warcaster to help you maintain concentration
If you're eligible for Prodigy you can get some nice expertise in something like religion or a face skill
>>
>>67204170
Arcana cleric with magic initiate and war caster could be fun.
Guidance, thaumaturgy, toll the dead from cleric
Fire bolt + Booming blade from arcana
Light + Mage hand + find familiar from MI
Plus resilient con or something else if you're Vuman and not hill dorf
>>
>>67204170
Find some overpowered Saiyan homebrew
>>
>>67204170
PAM GWM Barb. Variant Human for Sentinel.
>>
>>67204236
tempest cleric with spell sniper (for booming blade), warcaster and PAM
>>
>>67202696
Nope. Besides artifacts.
The only rules for magic items are that they are at least as durable as nonmagical versions and most have resistance to all damage. Nothing else.
Obviously its meant to be a case by case basis.
>>
/5eg/ a torch with blue flames that do cold damage is already a thing. do you think there's a way a torch could do electric damage?
>>
>>67204518
it could if it was a modern torch
>>
I have an art. Any ideas for a build?
>>
>>67204518
A lantern with a baby shocker lizard in it that zaps things within 5 feet of it.
>>
File: iceking.jpg (219 KB, 549x413)
219 KB
219 KB JPG
Why is Wall of Ice not immune to Cold Damage?
>>
>>67204518
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_lamp
except magic and shit
>>
>>67204581
Bugbear rogue (any)
Crossbow expert at 4
>>
>>67204581
I'd say Rogue or Ranger with a Light/Heavy Crossbow or Firearm.
>>
>>67204638
Roooogguuueeee
Sneak attack is the bugbear thing
Mm bugbear gets an extra die
Bugbears are sneeeee3eeeky
>>
File: 1528133015793.jpg (239 KB, 2048x1152)
239 KB
239 KB JPG
Trying to brainstorm a little conflict that's about to happen in the campaign
>Exiled and 'friendly' fire giant wants to trade with a large town
>Village near the town has a young bronze dragon guarding it
>When the giant hears word of the dragon, it's going to want to murder the fuck out of it and the party are the only people strong enough to go sort it out diplomatically or violently
With that basic framework, how do I spice this up or make it interesting?

The basic contention point is that neither can abide the others presence because of the long lasting grudge between dragons and giants, and each one offers protection in a different way - the fire giant mass produces cheap and high quality weapons letting the locals arm themselves while the dragon tries to fight things directly and scare them off, which should factor into which the party prefers if they need to force one (or both) to leave. I need more ideas for what this conflict could involve though.
>>
>>67204662
I completely forgot Bugbears get a special sneak attack. Probably because the one Bugbear I've played with never had much chance to use it.
>>
File: 1559288865818.png (225 KB, 960x715)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>player makes a supposedly edgy and unhesitating character
>player never talks throughout the entire session
>even when the NPCs are making fun of the character
>>
>hexblade 2
>shadow socrerer X
>Protector Aasimar

Is this the most blasty I can get with EB?
>>
>>67205051
Fiendlock with Kiss of Mephistopheles
>>
>>67205051
Technically yes but it’d be easier to convince your dm to let you play lore wizard
>>
>>67204800
I think if there was people who wanted neither and were acting as instigators maybe? Someone who wants all the giants were s and the dragon scales, or multiple groups or something.
>>67205051
Wait why protector? I thought scourge was the blast-y one?
>>
>>67204621
>>67204638
>>67204662

Definitely Ranger. In 5e STR bonus is completely wasted on Rogue (besides dude's got a morningstar thar Rogues are not proficient with.).
>>
>STR Rogue
Possible and works fine or meme build and stupid?
>>
I'm playing as a Yuan-ti Pureblood Lore Bard. I was reading about the paladin spell "Find Greater Steed", is it a good idea to get it as the bonus spell?
>>
>>67205405
Quite possible. Works very well for Mountain Dwarves.
>>
>>67205405
It works... Well enough. Your ac is bad unless mountain dwarf or similar to get medium armor, your damage is good because sneak attack even though you're stuck with a rapier at best with no shield, expertise covers most skills anyway, dex is just icing.
Its not terrible but hardly bad if done right.
>>67205431
It's neat for certain. I dunno, depends on what you want the bard to do exactly.
>>
>>67204853
sounds better than the alternative, dealing with an edgelord character that attacks anyone that bullies him
>>
>>67205480
you have shields if you go v. human to take moderately armoured at level 1
>>
>>67205480
>It's neat for certain. I dunno, depends on what you want the bard to do exactly.
Help in combat, fly, be my meat shield
>>
>>67205349
Fluff rapier as Morningstar, it's not like Morningstar has useful other properties

Bugbears are sneaky and lazy. Other than martial weapons and str, ranger doesn't line up with bugbear. You don't have to take advantage of every single feature.
>>
File: 97336.png (34 KB, 768x448)
34 KB
34 KB PNG
How do you guys feel about evil race shopkeepers?
>>
File: 1561309001069.jpg (13 KB, 480x360)
13 KB
13 KB JPG
>After two weeks on the road, you arrive at the city gates late at night, what do you want to do?
>We're all tired we'll find an inn to eat proper food and sleep

Scenario A:
>Do you want an upscale inn or a cheap one?

Scenario B:
>You arrive at the Fluffy Duck inn, order some proper warm food and enjoy a full night's rest on a real bed for the first time in a long time

Scenario C:
>Having rested at the Fluffy Duck inn last night, the next morning finds you at Walter's General Goods store pawning off some of the loot you found, when suddenly...

Which type of DM are you? Which type of pacing do you prefer?
>>
>>67205660
Scenario A, certainly. They can get into a scuffle or meet a bored noble.
>>
>>67205660
There's the fluffy duck inn, it seems quiet but prices are high.
Across the street is the crazy goose tavern. It's loud but the listed prices are low.
Then some more flavor text that has them worry about safety but both are fine.
>>
File: 1531856831150.png (25 KB, 747x391)
25 KB
25 KB PNG
>>67202686

>>67202686

favored terrain applies to terrain, as in land, as in the ground

as in, not water

make your background as a sailor and then talk to your DM about it
>>
I'm currently playing a Dimir Operative in a Ravnica campaign, one of the unique thing about playing a Dimirfag is that you get to pick a secondary guild and you're encouraged to write a false identity.
The game has been going on for a while and I've been given a time span of 2 weeks by the GM of where I have had time to observe the PC Party and prepare accordingly.

My question is, besides writing a second backstory and pretending it's the only one, does anyone have some tips on how to play an infiltrator in a group of players without them knowing out of character? Thanks in advance!
>>
>>67205654
I support them.
>>
File: muh dicc when.jpg (7 KB, 231x218)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
>>67205654
*dinosaur noises*
>>
>>67205660
If they've been in the city before and it's just a stop on the way, then B. If they're here for the first time, then A.
>>
>>67205660
I prefer something like A but depending on the players I'm DMing for, I'm forced to go with C.
>>
How do you feel about curses /5eg/? Like them? Hate them?

I'm personally a fan of roleplay oriented curses that have minor mechanical impact. Things like voices in your head, minor hallucinations and the like.
>>
>>67205736
Have the DM have any notes about your secret
Write NOTHIng on your sheet, only your fake guild
Make sure being dimir isn't anti-party
If finding out makes the other players not want to play with your character, it's a bad secret. If your dimir goal is aligned with the party or not at all at odds, you want that.
E.g. Your goal and party goal are to deliver macguffin to quest giver or your secret quest giver. Bad.
Party goal is get macguffin and your goal is assassinate a target, good.
>>
>>67205814
I gave a dwarf a hammer that made him attack friends and lose his beard.
Nobody liked the attacking friends, everyone thought losing beard was hilarious.
Do more non-mechanical curses. Social ramifications are ok, like you smell like diapers and you can no longer high society.
>>
File: fdsafdsa.jpg (83 KB, 500x408)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
I'm designing a part of a necromancer lair and am making some garbage hole where useless body parts would get tossed.
Besides things like Carrion Crawlers, what are some good monsters to encounter down there?
>>
>>67205884
Crawling claw
Troll bits
Any kind of bug
Some kind of trash snake
>>
>>67205814
The only food and drink you can consume is porridge and water.

If someone isn't bothered by that then the player isn't really keen on roleplaying beyond numbers.
>>
>>67205884
Otyugh
>>
>>67204800
Hmmm, what do you need? A way for this to become an adventure rather than a concept?
-Figure out what the dragon, the giants, and the giants' leader(s) are about. Their wants, needs, personalities. Why do they offer these services?
-Figure out their resources, hideouts/lairs, minions. What can they do? Can any of that lead to adventure?
-Write down a short timeline of how the grudge manifests and escalates and what's going to happen if the PCs don't change anything.

>>67205660
B for sure. I might ask about inn prices at level 1 or in a less heroic system. Or I might ask in case the Fluffy Duck Inn offers different hooks and events than the Scruffy Duck Inn across the street. Otherwise I'll just move on, try to get some short, evocative description going, and tell everyone to spend 1 gp each.

I might do C if I find myself DMing for one of those really passive groups that spends too long awkwardly lazing around. But that's a bit ugly and I'd rather not.
>>
>>67205884
>Squirming, contorting and ever-expanding...this horror must be unmade
>>
>>67205884
Ooze
Goblins
A different, shittier necromancer with a smaller, shittier lair who has to make do with the big man's trash.
>>
>>67206003
Combine the last two, a shitty goblin necromancer and his two even shittier apprentices.
>>
>>67206018
Magical Realm: they are literally covered in shit.
>>
Does anyone here know how to make roll20s macros a toggle for global attack modifier/damage fields? For stuff like archery, dueling and rage?
>>
>>67205654
Don't include them. Players won't trust em or will kill em and take all of their stuff.
>>
>>67206018
Do they have their own, even worse lairs? With necromancer rats squatting in them? Is it necromancer ants all the way down?
>>
>>67205827
Aight, so far I got pretty much all that in mind.
Our group is very communicative with our GM and I've so far told him everything I plan to do.
My character sheet says I'm a Selesnya Conclave-person that likes harmony and dislikes suffering.
My character's intentions are slightly complicated, the other players fulfill missions for a quest giver and my own intentions would be to figure out what the fuck he's up to and report it back to the guild.
I have specifically made it clear with my GM that I would very much rather align with the party than to be the typical backstabber Rogue, he responded that I will have to make choices where I'd rather protect the party or report secrets.

Essentially, I report shit to my dude. That may or may not backfire in the end.
If I get caught I might be in trouble, but hopefully, by then I will have helped enough to justify me spying on our quest giver.
Then again, maybe if I find something that the party should know about, then maybe they'll appreciate it if I also tell them if something is fishy, that way if they ever find out, they won't lynch me because, in the end, my spying was of benefit to the party.
>>
>>67202686
>Does ranger have any use in a [...] campaign?
No
>>
>>67202686
I count the ocean as part of Coastal terrain
>>
How do you rebuild momentum after a TPK? My party may be looking down the barrel of one. After a PC death I understand, the other PCs pick up the pieces and keep doing what they were doing. But if no one from the original party is left and you're just starting up again from a different place with a different crew, how can you re-establish all the important NPCs and assets that the players have been building up over the course of the campaign?
>>
>Out of the Abyss
>party gets lost
>Shuushar the Kuo-Toa tells everyone to be quiet
>they hear angry rat noises
>he tells the party to split up, find the things and bring him the fattest rat they can find
>party manages to capture a fat rat
>Shuushar slices the rat open and spills its guts on the floor
>pokes them a little bit with his fish fingers
>looks at a tunnel exit and confidently says "that way"
>party looks confused
>Wizard asks me if he did magic
>I say no
>he says that's impossible
>I tell him it's not magic
>he seems flustered
Is it magic?
>>
Hello /5eg/

In my last session, the party's Dwarf, who is a brewer, offered to supply a tavern owner with 6 months worth of booze at a steep discount in order to bribe him and progress the session. They all made it back to their house safe and sound and the story of the last session was wrapped up.

For the next session, I wanted to do some unintended consequences of that bribe. The tavern in question is in one of the major cities of the setting, and I wanted to have the city's brewers guild/mafia get peeved about the arrangement and pay the Dwarf a visit, first demanding an extortionate cut of his profits and other outrageous claims, then, when he refuses (or kills them, more likely), they burn down his still.

My question is any ideas for twists or other encounters that could happen in the city? My players prefer RP to combat, so maybe tracking down the location of the guild/mafia bosses could involve some intrigue? Ideas?
>>
>>67206318
Probably something like how people in feudal japan would check the time by looking at a cat's eyes.
>>
>>67206318
Why didn't you ask him to roll an arcana check?
>>
>>67206392
Oh yeah I asked him to roll and said no even though he rolled high

Basically my question is, can folklorish rituals, medicine etc be considered non-magic in a world of D&D?
>>
>>67206287
A wandering cleric of resurrection came by and zapped them with resurrections out of the goodness of his heart
>>
On the subject of Warlocks in this thread, i want to add that all the control EB options+sickening radiance carried my party through many encountersin the most recent campaign I played
>>
>>67206457
You need to be sure about the distinction between using entrails to divine information (magic) or poking through the stomach to see what it ate last, giving a clue to where it came from (survival)
The problem here is that it looks like you didn't make that clear. It sounds like he did use some sort of magic from what you implied in your posts (though very rudimentary divination) and it's generally poor form to confuse players like that.
>>
>>67206318
He knew the way and just wanted a nice rat to eat.
>>
>>67201245
I had an Aarakocra sun soul monk as a recurring villain in a campaign I ran one time. He was a lot of fun, basically a DBZ character.
>>
>>67206287
Don't re-establish them all. Reframe some of them. The old cheery guy who gave your party their big quest? Yeah he's actually just a manipulative cunt and your new party of people who are his direct employees, get to see him for the ruthless bastard he is. The fact that your party died? It has an impact on the world. The people who sent them that way may have made an enemy out of the creature/people that killed them. Or they needed that task completed because their boss was breathing down their neck and now the boss is about to execute that questgiver for incompetence, which is going to leave a town without its mayor/duke/whatever the fuck and there's rumours of a civil war brewing because of conflicting successors. As long as you make it obvious that the world has been impacted by their deaths/lives, they'll probably get right back into things.
>>
File: Sword-Words-spillwords.jpg (344 KB, 1700x900)
344 KB
344 KB JPG
So I have an idea for a puzzle/riddle that plays on the idea that Sword/Words are just one letter swap apart, but unfortunately that used up all of my creativity and I have no idea where to take it.
>>
>>67206990
penis mighter than sword
>>
>>67206990
Steal mechanics from Baba is you. Wall says "WORDS ARE HERE" With an S and other letters somewhere in the room. If they change it to Swords are here, they get transported to an armory.
>>
>>67206181
kek

>>67206287
>no one from the original party is left and you're just starting up again from a different place with a different crew
>how can you re-establish all the important NPCs and assets
That's just a thing that happens in story-heavy campaign man. You gotta either
1) accept that it ends there, maybe start a different story in the same world
2) you start over and slowly work your way back up with some things falling to the sideways entirely (it'll happen)
3) handwave it by going "okay, the new party found the previous party's expedition log/talked to their ghosts and recovered some of the McGuffins, now just write down on your sheet why you all care about this shit..."
4) just avoid the issue altogether by giving one or two players an out when TPK happens.

My advice is, talk to your group about it. Ask 'em what they'd rather do IF it happens. And ask them again AFTER it happens. I had two TPKs happen in my campaigns, in both cases the whole group said they wanted to switch to something different but in the same setting, so I happily obliged.

That being said, if you go with 2), it's a good idea to recycle elements in a way that makes sense and gives a different perspective on familiar events, like the other anon pointed out, or a discovery of yet-unknown plot points. Don't shoehorn anything into the new adventure, but do emphasize things that happened if you get the opportunity.
>>
>>67206990
have the word on a circular band so the players have to realise its both swords and words at the same time
>>
>>67206990
Maybe just a simple poem/riddle thing with the letters available to put together.

Cuts to the bone
Pierces the heart
Destroys a home
Rips it apart

Peasant or king
Hurts all the same
Past and present it brings
Deep sorrow and shame

Some dumb shit like that.

Also: add this: >>67207172 or something like it. Make sure you imply or show the word "swords" the riddle. Maybe make it like a 5 wheels with 4 letters on each that can spell a variety of words.
>>
>>67206318
Neato. Stealing this.

Did he do spooky divination that still worked, or did he just guess at random?

>>67206352
It's a pretty clever bribe, so I suggest also rewarding your player with unexpected good things so he doesn't get too bitter about it and stop trying that kind of stuff. What's special about your city? We need information, otherwise you'll get generic shit that could happen anywhere.

Booze and mafia related, at least: I once had my players track down a wine trafficker who cut his stuff with water, on behalf of the city watch, and catch him in the act, ideally with some written proof and evidence if they could.
>>
Forever DM here
I just joined a pbp west marches discord group and was wondering what I should get up to.
Most things are ok and I'm thinking pretty mundane. Human or hill dwarf shepherd or moon Druid. Some kind of PAM guy.
I'm not necessarily looking to do pal2/hexblade1/sorcX or coffeelock. Just something fun.
>>
>>67207307
*before the riddle

Like when a magician hints at you picking the colour "blue" by wearing a blue tie, writing with a blue pen and remarking on the sky or whatever the fuck they do.
>>
>>67207313
>Did he do spooky divination that still worked, or did he just guess at random?
It worked but there was no visible effect
>>
>>67207349
Is he of house Howard?
>>
Are hexblade and shillelagh the only ways to be SAD?
>>
>>67207513
All fullcasters are SAD unless you're trying to be a gish.
Also Rogue doesn't need anything other than high Dex.
>>
How do you maximize your potential damage with a Vuman Hexblade Warlock? I plan to go Blade Pact and then I'm wondering if I should multiclass or not. Also about equipment, I'm having a rapier and a shield with medium armor. About the first feat, I would like to take GWM, but I'm wondering if War Caster is better at this point
>>
File: drow bard.jpg (887 KB, 1800x1871)
887 KB
887 KB JPG
What would a drow bard be like?
>>
File: gun-kim-koludain.jpg (402 KB, 1920x2400)
402 KB
402 KB JPG
>>67207599
Usually, dead.
>>
>>67207599
A cockslut
>>
Would you let a player get Great Weapon Fighting as a fighting style if they're a ranger.
>>
File: 1469006158699.png (247 KB, 500x375)
247 KB
247 KB PNG
>try to make a warforged character on one of the online creators
>fail because i can't count
>>
>>67207710
If they actually want to play Ranger give them what ever they want. The poor bastard.
>>
>>67207710
No reason not to, it's the second worst fighting style.
>>
>>67207807
How is re-rolling 1's and 2's on damage dice bad?
>>
>>67207667
I think he's asking for something specific to DROW bards.
>>
>>67207838
You can only use it when you roll 1s and 2s, also you can only reroll once and you might make the roll worse (2 becomes a 1).
Furthermore all features that make the combat take longer because of rerolls are cancer.
>>
>>67207838
Statistically speaking it doesn't increase damage by an appreciable amount. It's a fun fighting style (nothing beats rerolling a 1 into a 6), but it's not minmaxy. I would definitely let a ranger have it.
>>
>>67207847
A cockslut that pretends to struggle
>>
>>67207599
bayonetta
>>
>>67207870
You reroll once per attack, not once. And it works on multiple dice, like with a greatsword.
>>
>>67207971
>And it works on multiple dice, like with a greatsword.
Still shit. Defense is the real fighting style made for two handed weapons, GWF A SHIT unless you suck off your dm and get a Flame Tongue Greatsword
>>
>>67201404
Would you shut the fuck up
>>
>>67207513
Nobody's really SAD in 5e. Even the hexblade needs con and some dex.
>>
>>67207513
>>67208116
hexblade 1-3 / stone sorcerer X
>>
>>67207965
nah, bayonetta would be a fiendlock vhuman
>>
>>67200907
Its loyal and telepathically linked to you, it is much better than a normal mount.
>>
>>67208154
Now you need charisma and con. Better just being a loxodon then UA honestly.
>>
I feel like I want to play a Monk. I like the physical ways it lets you interact with the world and a few odd RP opportunities, it gives you some niche resistances, and it meets a good midpoint of "reliable combat all day" and "resources to burn to go nova." But I'm worried that it won't actually be what it needs to be. The damage output will be too low to be a respectable combatant, helping allies with Stun and knocking prone could be done better by a Bard or Druid casting Faerie Fire, and the "disruption" of going after the weaker back line could be dealt with by AoE spells or ranged attacks. What exactly does the Monk do and do well that no one else does?
>>
>>67208252
Only two abilities is still more SAD than just about anything else
>>
>>67208252
>Better just being a loxodon then UA honestly.
>13+CON AC and Stone's Durability is somehow worse than 12+CON AC
>>
>>67208285
be a stunbot
>>
I keep seeing people saying that he Scout subclass for rogue is good but I'm not seeing it. You use a reaction to move away when an enemy ends its turn next to you? Sounds pretty shitty to me, you're still getting whacked.
>>
>>67207313
Pretty generic port city on the edge of some grasslands, settled by one of the orginal druidic tribes of the grasslands, they became civilized and left all that behind. Ruled by an oligarchy of noble houses and home to a college of Gold Wizards (transmutation/alchemy/etc)

I figured this could be a nice one off session unrelated to the main plot
>>
>>67208335
"This movement doesn't provoke opportunity attacks."
>>
>>67208335
Free disengage, 2 extra skills that come with expertise, extra movement, advantage on initiative, additional sneak attack... What's not to like?
>>
>>67208354
Yeah but before that the enemy ends its turn in front of you, which means it got up to you and whacked you.
>>
>>67208413
You're a rogue, if the place you're in allows for it (i.e. is not a small closed room) you can easily get more than 30 ft away from someone without giving up on your attack.
So it goes:
>enemy closes in with dash
>reaction move away + movement move away
>repeat
>>
>>67208396
>extra movement, advantage on initiative, additional sneak attack
You will be lucky to even see the 9th level feature in most games let alone the other things. Better to find something more front loaded.
>>
>>67208469
It's the most front loaded rogue subclass desu
>>
>>67208516
Swashbuckler says hi.
>>
>>67207599
In my setting? They're leading the Revolution against the Matriarchy.
>>
>>67208413
Scout is sort of made for ranged rogue. Enemy whacked you, sure, but now you're kiting him and can move 35 feet away with the right build. So when he gets up in your face, you can either uncanny dodge then disengage next round as a bonus action, or he misses and you moved away anyway.
>>
While your familiar your owl familiar is on your shoulder and you are looking through it's eyes, do your attacks still suffer from disadvantage in darkness?
>>
All right pals, rate my concept
Literal cat burglar
Wood elf druid
Around elves, watch yourselves
10/16/14/8/16/10
What subclass? Campaign starts at 3.
>>
>>67208634
looking through your familiar's eyes requires an action and ends at the start of your next turn, so you cannot take the attack action while looking through it unless you are hasted or have some means of attacking as a bonus action without first taking the attack action, in which cases I would rule you could make the attack without disadadvantage
>>
>>67208546
>Green Ronin homebrew tier subclass
I guess it makes for a good melee rogue or not since AT with SCAG cantrip exists
>>
>>67208653
land druid, moon is for faggots and the other subclasses are very focused in what they can do
>>
File: 1410154727394.jpg (124 KB, 600x905)
124 KB
124 KB JPG
Would Criminal or Charalatan be better for an Archfey Warlock spy/thief?
>>
>>67208701
Outlander to survive on fey dicking when you're near a forest
>>
>>67208343
Ok so there's a harbor, druidic history, the mafia, a brewer's guild, nobles, and gold wizards.
Some ideas:
1) Transmutation accident. A noble's manor turns to lead, or worse. Toxic vapors abound, doors are stuck, some rooms are half flooded in liquid metal. A dungeon with no enemies. Party has to help evacuate and investigate what went wrong. Maybe there was a sabotage. Maybe someone just made a huge mistake.
2) Two nobles are going to duel to the death tomorrow at dawn. The party's contact is a friend/ally of both nobles and asks the party to please stop the duel from happening. This could involve sabotaging the duel (if the nobles can't be found before dawn) or looking into the nobles' feud and reasoning with them/offering to settle the matter somehow.
3) Noble ball! Shipwright's ball! I've posted a good host (ha) of ideas for these before, I can post them again.
4) Party is invited to a distillery as part of a promotional event. They are gifted some free wine. That's it. Sometimes things are nice and nothing bad happens.
5) A hidden "cult" longs for a return to old druidic traditions. There's a huge oak growing in the middle of a tavern and similar things here and there. Party is tasked with investigating the conspiracy. Turns out the ones responsible are harmless and misguided at worst (though there could be a few or a lot of bad apples if you wish). But the PC's contacts insist: turn them in, they'll rot in jail for years for all this property damage. Up to the PCs to obey, or they could lie, hide evidence, and help the "cultists" flee.
6) An auction at a noble's manor. Maybe there's a murder. Maybe the party has to win the auction or steal the item and shenanigans ensue. Could be an exceptional vintage, a treasure map or a priceless heirloom.
>>
How do you rationalise your Warlock being level 1 if they've been under the control of their patron for decades?
>>
File: panic.jpg (27 KB, 300x300)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>have all the time in the world to prepare for the first session
>have only 6 days to prepare for every session after that
>>
Oh my fuck. How do I convince our sorcerer to stop wasting his action casting blade ward and instead contribute to the goddamn combat in a meaningful way? Why the fuck do people waste their time with that and truestrike? I fucking told them at character creation not to fucking bother with those cantrips. I am seething.
>>
What's the best anti-mage character I can build?
>>
>>67208795
Let him play how he wants to play, anon. It's not a big deal.
>>
>>67208808
v. human shadow monk with mage slayer
>>
>>67208660
Dammit, yeah, should have read it again.
>>
>>67208795
And that stupid shit took mage armor as well despite being a draconic sorcerer.
>>
File: lightning-warrior.jpg (21 KB, 320x240)
21 KB
21 KB JPG
Best way to make a thunder focused character?
Like most of his attacks are thunder focused and things like that

I am not counting the Tempest Domain Cleric because that's a little bit to cheesy
>>
>>67208789
Their patron put them in some kind of coma for those decades, like Link in BoTW. Or they have been serving their patron in minor, mundane ways until now, when they have been summoned to serve a higher calling.
>>
>>67208808
ancients paladin with mage slayer feat
>>
Are racial spell abilities able to be Counterspelled?
>>
>>67208795
Let him learn his lesson at the hands of the enemy.
>>
>>67208795
Truestrike is ok if you need to land stuff like Plane Shift, but aside from that you can't give a brain to brainlets. Sorry.
>>
>>67208826
Storm sorcerer with a bunch of lightning and thunder based spells.
>>
>>67208826
do you mean thunder the sound?
or do you mean lightning?
in either case the answer is immortal mystic with the appropriate wu jen discipline(s)
but also don't do that unless you want your party to hate your fucking borked overpowered ass
>>
>>67208826
There's a barbarian sublcass to look at in Xanathar's. Can't remember its name right now.
Paladin would also work as well, pretty sure oath wouldn't even be relevant.
>>
>>67208827
I don't like comas. He was definitely going to be actively serving the whole time, but when the patron only has one specific end goal in mind (like killing a really powerful creature), how can you "mundanely" work to that goal?
>>
>>67208832
>spells
Yes
>not a spell
No
>>
>>67208867
Gathering information, reasearch, materials, bribing people that need to be bribed for such things.
>>
>>67208867
Perhaps he was helping the patrons former champion like a squire of some kind, and now that hero has died and you're next in line to carry his torch.
>>
Can a rogue in one turn move 90 feet? (Standard speed 30)?
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (574 KB, 475x347)
574 KB
574 KB GIF
>be wizard
>Noble is assassinated before he can tell us whom is plotting to kill him
>Offer to use speak with the dead, party says no and scolds me for using necromancy
>Find out about possible suspect
>Others decides to chloroform and torture him to get info.
>Necromancy bad. Torture and kidnapping good
>>
>>67208748
How does outlander help you with that?
>>
>>67208867
Farming to feed his other forces? Sounds like the real problem here is you're putting the cart before the horse. A level 1 character should have a level 1 backstory.
>>
>>67208789
He was content with that power at first, but over time the Warlock grew impatient and craved for more power/knowledge/faggotry giving him a reason to adventure.
>>
>>67208901
Movement+Action Dash+Bonus Action Dash=90 Feet.
>>
>>67208867
Paper pusher in hell
>>
>>67208826
>Go pal 2/Draconic sorc (lightning) X
>be a protector aasimar
>activate super saiyan wings as an action then
bonus action thunderous smite
>fly into the air and pull creature with quickened lightning lure
>hit with booming blade+divine smite to activate thunderous smite
>send them flying back to the ground and take fall damage
>if they still get up when they try to walk towards anyone they explode
>>
>>67208320
He's saying that it is better to use published material, the loxodon, then UA, especially when its a better result.
>>
>>67208905
Not all spells from the necromancy school are evil. They only get into grey or black morality once you're raising skeleton armies and trapping people's souls.
>>
>>67208919
>A level 1 character should have a level 1 backstory.
That's the problem. It narrows down any potential creativity by forcing the patron to be a newly-acquired thing. Everyone who ever plays a Warlock has "suddenly been given powers by this great and powerful being". There's never any backstory that actually involves the patron beyond "the patron just started giving me things in the past few weeks".

You can't play an elf who was contracted with its patron at birth and has been serving the patron for two centuries, because then you wouldn't be level 1. Shit's dumb.
>>
>>67208905
Sounds like you're playing with brainlets.
>>
>>67208285
If you need to min/max for combat you have a shit DM

D&D is not Diablo. RP is your most powerful weapon. The strongest character in my group right now is a warlock with nothing but illusion spells (not even eldrich blast). He just killed four people by casting magical darkness on them and using devils sight and performace checks and illusions to get them to all kill each other.
>>
This is why level 1 starts are something I don't like.
Level 3 is where you get all your core class features, it's a good spot to really begin.
>>
>>67208905
Start mindcontrolling and mindreading people with spells, after all necromancy is the evil school.
>>
>>67208967
You're retarded
>After spending years attempting to unravel the nature of reality, you came into contact with higher beings. And so as you have taken notice of them they also have taken notice of you
Welcome to Goolock

shit is easy
>>
>>67209007
>Level 3 is where you get all your core class features
This isn't a hard and fast rule though. There are a few classes that don't confine to this pattern.
>>
>>67208905
Do they also scold the cleric for necromancy when they offer to revivify a dead party member?
>>
>>67209027
You're retarded. You realise you're just doing exactly what I just said everyone fucking does, right? That the years spent in your backstory were not spent serving a patron, but finding one? You disabled little rat. Kill yourself for being so fucking retarded.
>>
>>67208795
Likely answer: You can't.
Optimistic answer: Play the exact same build and steal the show, make the player see how useful YOU are.

>>67208789
You could be a soldier for a decade before you become a level 1 fighter. Maybe you took a long time to finish your training. Maybe things just slowed down to a crawl because of logistics and problems and you were relegated to boring tiring work that taught you nothing and you haven't been useful a SINGLE fucking time.
>>
>>67209044
>This isn't a hard and fast rule though.
How is it not? You get everything by then, all the other shit a class gets later than 3 is icing on the cake that usually just adds to mechanics that are already there.
>>
>>67208764
These are great!

I like the idea of a wine tasting, but instead the PC's might choose to sabatoge it as revenge/statement to the guild mafia to back off. This gives me cool ideas
>>
Every time I introduce a Magic Item to my party there's an 85% chance it's immediately given to the same character because he's the only one ever in melee range so he goes down at least once an encounter and therefore is seen as "the weak one". I don't really know where I'm going with this, I guess I just needed to vent.
>>
>>67208789
>he didn't serve for free his patron as a fiendish janitor before getting his Eldritch Blast Hotpocket Power™
baka desu senpai
>>
>>67209113
Then make it an item that character can't use.
If he's not a spellcaster, a ring of spell storing. Robes of some sort. A staff. A wand.
>>
>>67209113
>the party gives magical help to the one who needs it most
I see nothing wrong with this
>>
>>67208826

eldritch knight with a lance of lightning bonded to immediately recall it to you + lighting weapons and spells like thunder step

dip into warlock or something else for more spells
>>
>>67208789
the patron sees you as an investment for the future because reasons.
>>
File: 1396628008052.jpg (35 KB, 393x377)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>67209113
Sounds like the party considers the melee meatshield a valuable member of that team that is worthy of respecc and protecc
>>
>>67200828
Hyena squad.
>>
>>67208789
Too busy drowning in fiendish pussy.
>>
>>67209058
lol literally seething. Sorry you were proven wrong
>>
>>67208790
>Preparing
What are you, gay?
>>
>>67209407
>makes a retarded post because he can't read
>resorts to "u-umad" after he gets embarrassed on the internet
lol, classic retard.
>>
>>67208789
Levels are an abstraction and you shouldn't think too much about that.
Levels are related to adventuring experience. It determines how good of an adventurer you are.
If they were a warlock for a long time and didn't level they simply weren't adventuring. That's it. He has no experience adventuring.
>>
>>67205405
>dip barbarian for rage and reckless attack
>put expertise in Athletics.
>wrestle with advantage and doubled proficiency, and get free sneak attacks against anything you can't using reckless attack
Grappling is overpowered as shit in 5e. Most monsters in 5e have the grappling stats of a 1st level commoner, meanwhile your grapple checks will scale up to a minimum of 27 with advantage. With extra attack, tavern brawler or shield master, you can grapple and shove in the same turn. Since a grappled opponent has 0 movement, they're stuck in a prone position until they break the grapple, giving all your melee friends free advantage. Oh, and you can do this to one opponent in each hand.
>>
>>67209416
I'm guy
>>
>>67208789
Doing normie stuff does not grant you levels.
It's not a grind it's a sprint.
You could be a soldier for 30 years and stay at level 1 but kill a demon one night and suddenly you're level 2.
>>
>>67209446
don't give somebody the excuse to go barbarogue nigga
>>
r8 my magic item.

>Staff of Staffing.
>Magic Quarterstaff, Major Magic Item. Requires Attunement.
>This quartersfatt seems like a normal staff, expece it serves for staff staffs. The staff has 3 staff charges. While attuned to this +1 quarterstaff, you can expend one charge to staff any staff you see by screaming "Staff of Staffing". The staff recharges all its charges at dawn.
>>
I'm going to be playing a Bard for a new campaign starting up. Can I get some song suggestions for when inspiring mid-combat?
>>
>>67209426
Holy shit, you actually responded. I can tell you will be thinking about this all night. What's it like being a dicklet?
>>
>>67209508
I was expecting it to spawn a butler, a chef and a cleaner.
>>
>>67209113
>team is working together

sounds like a dream

or

>Every time the DM introduce a Magic Item to my party
>>
>>67209559
>u-umad
>m-muh dick
the sheer cope on display here is hilarious lol keep going
>>
>>67209542
Only posting this because of the title and the sick solo, don't play it at any table with normal people
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKYhi6Om5wg
>>
>>67209542
Just quote master of puppets for vicious mockery and inspiration.
>>
>>67209542
Are you planning on just using real world songs as if your character invented them?
>>
>>67209583
>still responding and not letting it go

big ooof.
>>
I want to GM modern fantasy with D&D. I'm tired of medieval settings, I want something new.

But I don't want to exchange systems because all my players are grumpy dudes too busy with their works and I fear that no one will wish to learn a new system or anything like that.

Is there any suplement for a 5e game set in a world technologicaly similar to ours?
>>
File: forbidden lore DC15.jpg (141 KB, 1000x715)
141 KB
141 KB JPG
Rolled 16, 3, 14, 10, 10, 6 = 59 (6d20)

fresh off a ban bois, check out my champion fighter
>>
>>67209645
Why don't you go to Eberron instead?
>>
>>67209635
>big oof
Jesus Christ. What an embarrassing post. You know you're not on reddit anymore, right?
>>
>>67209663
You need to learn to walk away, anon. It gets better. trust me.
>>
>>67209653
>3 int fighter
Enjoy your enlightening conversations with the parties' mounts.
>>
>>67209679
>i-im n-not mad! u-u are!
deary deary me, this mong is falling apart at the seams. it's okay to be illiterate mate, just suck it up and move on to the next thread. nobody will remember how easily you got btfo on 4chan. it's anonymous after all.

i'm sure you'll be seething enough to reply to this anyway though. you redditors do tend to get very angry when you lose internet arguments for some reason.
>>
>>67209696
Based on the not-RAW /5eg/ chargen that should be dex.
>>
>>67209662
Too flashy.
I don't like magic is technology.
I'm vying more for a modern setting like final fantasy 15 or something like that.
Only very few chosen people can use magic. Most people have to rely on modern tech to go through their day to day lives.
>>
>>67209720
It's like watching a train wreck.
>>
>>67209744
>n-no u lost! n-not me!
lol i own you. reply again.
>>
>>67209732
So he's crippled?
>>
>>67209759
>>67209759
>>67209759
New Thread
>>
>>67209755
Yes, daddy ;)
>>
>>67209775
lol seething
>>
>>67209605
no mostly just as a stand-in
>>
>>67209645
There's that one modern UA with the "ghost in the machine" patron.

>>67209755
>>67209775
Holy shit just kiss already
>>
>>67209758
just heinously obese
>>
>>67200828
>Does your party have a name that everyone knows you by? Are the PCs an ad-hoc group, or are they mostly part of the same organization?

We go by plan b because we always fuck everything up.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.