[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

Fortune Telling Edition

Welcome to /wbg/, the official thread for the discussion of in-progress settings for traditional games.

Here is where you go to flesh out the details of your worlds such as lore, factions, magic and ecosystems. You can also post maps for your settings, as well as any relevant art (either created by you or used as inspiration for your work).

Official Discord: https://discord.gg/yrp9saR

Resources for Newfags: https://sites.google.com/view/wbgeneral/

Previous Thread: >>67027452

Thread questions:
>Does fate exist in your world?
>If fate does exist, then is everything 100% fated or are only certain events fated?
>What are some of the ways that people tell the future? Is it all just a sham?
>Is fortune telling ever prone to great error or misunderstanding?
Hard Mode:
>How does one become a fortune teller or seer? Is the power benevolent, diabolical, or somewhere in-between?
>Are there times when knowing the future greatly affected the course of your world's history?
>Can a prophecy ever be altered or even avoided entirely?
>How tolerated is fortune telling in a given place? Is it encouraged? Outlawed? barely tolerated?
Dante Must Die:
>What is the scariest thing about knowing the future of your world?
>>
File: ethnicmap.jpg (729 KB, 1445x811)
729 KB
729 KB JPG
Just finished an "ethnic map" for Rhûne, showing where the major ethnic groups can be found on the map, along with the real world racial groups they most closely match up with.
>>
>>67113809
is shem the shemites?
>>
>>67113633
I have a setting involving massive mothership that act like a self-sustaining city carrying an entire civilization that is also modular in that it is made out of smaller ships, basically a starship made out of starships. humans are the ones that built inhabit and control this ships, said humans are descended form both an alternate imperial japan and USA so the human civilization on this mothership have a government that is a mix of both, also this modular mothership has an FTL drive that lets it travel through not only space but time as well, however this ability of time travel caused the earth to be destroyed in a paradox cause by a time travel based world war so all that is left is humanity on a mothership made out of smaller ships that seem to have come out of nowhere from everyone else point of view. The humans can go out of their ships and vehicles for very long without the universe trying to retcon them do to mankind fucking up their own past and only survived the result paradox thanks to anti-paradox field generators and humanity’s determination to survive and fight. The human faction of this setting is known as the United Fleet Federation and their capital/HQ is the obviously mothership.

United Fleet Federation, is involved with a time travel war between two other nomadic races that have time travel the organic-like robots that mastered time travel called Regulators and the tribal/ marauder based race that mastered faster than light travel simply called the Clans that are related to a benevolent precursor race called the Seconded Race that master both space and time travel and could travel between universes that were eaten by their own asshole precursor race known as the first race.
>>
>>67114108
The Regulators act like some kind of time travel police and the Clans was a uplifted race that was chosen by the Seconded Race to be their successors, however after the Seconded Race got eaten and retconned by the First Race, one of the clans started to abuse the gifts their “gods” gave them and started to worship the First Race as “dark gods” and created a space empire that enslaves or kill off the lesser races, this pissed off the Regulators who do not see the clans as worthy of being the successors of their creators so decided to wipe them out before they fuck up the universe even more. Humanity got involved after their modular mothership wiped out a few ships of the empire and the Regulators are freaked out about how humanity managed to abuse time travel to the point of retconing their own homeworld and yet still managed to survive.
>>
Not as such. Events are predictable due to collapsing probabilities, but the future is malleable and those with foreknowledge can change future events.

The primary means is through astrology. Because the heavens of Rhûne are part of a grand mechanism maintained by the architects, a larger pattern can be observed by observing a small part of that pattern.

Other means include card reading, palm reading, tasseography (tea leaves), haruspicy (reading entrails) and throwing bones. These methods tend to be far more vague and open to interpretation error, and practitioners are as likely to be charlatans as not.

Yes, as mentioned above methods other than astrology are often prone to error. Astrology is much more precise, but takes hours of star-watching and performing calculations to find results, and can still return errors. Obviously the skill of the diviner is a major factor in making accurate predictions.
>>
>>67114108
>>67114121
*I have a setting idea
>>
>>67114145
>How does one become a fortune teller or seer? Is the power benevolent, diabolical, or somewhere in-between?
Astrology was taught to mankind by the Angels, other forms were taught by faeries and are seen as a dangerous doorway to black magic. There is no real demonic form of divination, because divination is fundamentally rooted in a desire for knowledge and truth, which is anathema to demons. Demons will only tell you the truth about the future if it leaves you feeling powerless and helps them corrupt you.

>Are there times when knowing the future greatly affected the course of your world's history?
That's hard to say. Many a knight has waited until the signs were auspicious to begin a quest, and most wizards will check the stars before engaging in any great task. So in subtle ways, certainly.

I generally eschew the use of prophecy in my games. Even the most powerful divination generally only sees a few days or weeks into the future, becoming more and more vague the further out you go.

>How tolerated is fortune telling in a given place? Is it encouraged? Outlawed? barely tolerated?
It's strongly associate with gypsies and charlatans, but is not strictly illegal.

No one knows the future of my world, not even me. That is determined at the table, with dice.
>>
>>67114108
>>67114121
This is neat.
>>
That the "bad guys" win.
>>
File: 8FYtOWp.png (274 KB, 768x480)
274 KB
274 KB PNG
>>67113875
The Shema are named after the Shemites, and are essentially my settings Jews, though they're also based on Bedouins.

They were conquered and made slaves of the Sphinxes, who forced them to build the Empire of Riddles. Then their homeland was devastated in a magical apocalypse, and it still hasn't recovered.

Many Shema fled from Shem, becoming wandering refugees and eventually becoming my setttings gypsies, while others refused to leave and still struggle to survive in their blasted land as Bedouin-like nomads.
>>
>>67114378
>They were conquered and made slaves of the Sphinxes, who forced them to build the Empire of Riddles. Then their homeland was devastated in a magical apocalypse, and it still hasn't recovered.
I haven't laughed this hard in a while
>>
>>67114397
Well, you can hardly be a setting's Jews if the world isn't constantly shitting all over you.
>>
>>67113633
>>67114108
>>67114121
>>67114149
now that I posted my setting idea I will answer the questions as they actually fits the setting
Yes but humanity new paradoxical nature makes them immune to it as a race with no past has no future.
The clans shamans and the Regulators temporal computer have the ability to predict the future though the new Empire restrict the powers to the nobility
Thanks to time travel and humanity retconning their own homeworld yes
for the clans it is a power that can be passed down to ones offspring and Regulators has cybernetics that can turn you into one. I say somewhere in-between
The setting does involve time travel being used as a common weapon of warfare so yes, though a prophecy that is decided by the first race can only be defied by mankind right now
A prophecy in this setting is more like a plan enacted by the First race that cannot be defied by normal races, humans accidentally erasing there own homeworld from time however gave them the ability to defy a prophecy making them a threat to the First race.
encouraged by the clans and Regulators, only for nobles in the empire, outlawed for civilians in the federation.
>>
>>67114218
want to know the how the federations goverment works? it has four branches, the president, congress, supreme court and a colonial council of lords head by an emperor.
>>
>>67113633
>>67114530
I almost forgot the last question
the fact that the future and fate is ultimately controlled by the first race who are really fucking evil and the only thing that can stop them are the humans who are doing a universe scale manifest destiny as they belive that they are the rightful rulings of the universe.
>>
>>67114218
>>67114575
Also religion in the federation is basically a mix between Christianity and Shintoism.
>>
I'm working on religion in fantasy from a writing perspective, and what story purpose they fulfill (above simply "people are religious, my story is about people"). Currently I have the following ways, though I'd be happy if people can offer more.

>Gods/religions can appear in a story as representative of...

>...societal beliefs.

This occurs most often (when it is explicit) as "the gods exist because of, and in relation to, the belief of humans." In other words, gods have personalities informed by what people believe their personalities are, powers informed by what people believe their powers to be, and so forth. But you can also see it in, for example, "the gods were physically created by a society to reinforce and reify their social norms." This is true to an extent of real world religions - they frequently serve as higher justifications for cultural norms.

>...humanity per se.

In this case, gods are like humans, with human faults and human vices. These gods can more easily serve as characters within the story. They may rely on worship for survival (in Exalted, it's their sustenance), or it may simply be a form of self-aggrandizement. Greek Gods appear this way in many (though not all) forms.

>...fundamental parts of humanity.

The muses, in Greek myth, fall into this category, as do many other gods, like the Chaos Gods of Warhammer 40k. The god represents the idealized or understood form of certain principles, feelings, or other characteristics which make up a part of a complete human person. Generally such gods are relatively minor, as a primary god tends to accrete a variety of myths and therefore domains.

>...cultural or ideological conflicts.

This generally occurs in places of sharply delineated cultural conflict: Protestant and Catholic, Hellenic and Christian, Mazdakites versus Zoroastrians, and so forth. A more modern exemplar of the same basic idea would be fascism versus communism versus liberalism.
>>
Couldn't reply in the previous thread but to the anon talking about heraldry symbols, how about using a phoenix not for love but for rebirth. Seems like the perfect symbol if you have an empire that's trying to rebuild itself or brand itself as a reforged !not Rome.
>>
File: 1537215481075.png (1.03 MB, 1176x1322)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB PNG
>>67113633
Yes and no. Yes because the Will of Everything will set in motion events to correct changes in reality that are caused by magics that use the sacrifice of a soul such as curses and will create such situations to ultimately undo them. Think of it more like a process then a purposeful act but time and effort will always prevail.
>What are some ways to that people tell the future
It's usually sort of a magically inclined educated guest with signs and portants but never anything concrete. The actual attempt to know the future in it's entirety has only been attempted once and the act broke the individual who tried it into a gibbering husk of a person after a ritual that sacrificed a number of souls to do the task and the Will of Everything corrected as a response.

That said, as for some form of divination Empaths are generally a thing with people who are psychically sensative to other's spirits and able to sense things like lingering emotions that can be visualized as brief snatches of memory and even the stagnation caused by souls becoming shades and the spiritual pollution of soul destruction
>>
Bump
>>
File: ireland2100.jpg (175 KB, 975x1063)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
This would make a great game setting.
>>
>>
File: largemap.gif (198 KB, 1372x1941)
198 KB
198 KB GIF
Most of the geological stuff is done

Flip it and change the names and it stops being a flooded Ireland
>>
File: ireland-mineral-map.jpg (115 KB, 350x443)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>
File: Flag1.png (13 KB, 800x500)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
We're talking a lot about maps and such, but what about flags? Have you guys made them? What nations, groups or ideas do they represent?

Pic related is flag of an Elven island I'm creating for my world.
>>
>>67113809
Neat. I really need to make something like this to figure out where various people can be found. I have a bit of an issue in that there are multiple sapient species though, and am having issues approaching it in a way that results in a satisfactory spread.
>>
>Have a couple of countries based on cultures of Europe
>Map looks like Europe
How do I stop doing this?
>>
File: rhunemigrationmaps.jpg (246 KB, 1000x1000)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>>67117585
How many species do you have? Do they have multiple subcultures?

Generally, I think the more sentient, civilization building species you have, the more each species should tend towards monoculture. Having a large diversity of sapient would, I'd think, increased the tendency to see one's race as elemental to one's culture. It would also tend to limit the growth and physical expansion of each sapient species into new territory, kind of like a game of Civilization.

Think about the history of your world. When I created Rhûne, one of the first things I did was create a series of migration maps (pic related) and figured out how humans spread out over the planet, where they found fertile areas and proto-civilizations bloomed.

Now, in Rhûne the early neolithic humans found very little resistance -- only the very degenerate descendants of the long fallen reptiloid empires (lizardmen, snakemen, troglodytes) who were already faring poorly due to a mild ice age. Elves, dwarves, halflings, orcs, beastmen and so on didn't exist yet, and there were far fewer monsters running about.

You might want to start with my second map, and treat each species as a different proto-civilization. This might mean you have less ethnic diversity among your humans, unless they have a big continent of their own to spread out over.
>>
File: fantasy_map_1562402749554.png (3.63 MB, 6830x3125)
3.63 MB
3.63 MB PNG
>>67117742
Go here:
https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/

Select "Pure Landmass." Hit generate. Get something like pic related. Does it look like Europe? Yes? Refresh. No? Badda Boom, Badda Bing.
>>
File: Great_Lakes_Map_ialo-vo.jpg (1.21 MB, 2100x1701)
1.21 MB
1.21 MB JPG
>>67118096
These maps can be difficult to do a good job of placing mountains on.
>>
>>67119546
Just put them wherever, only retarded fags here give a shit about tectonic plates or whatever gay shit you think matters
>>
>>67119647
>only retarded fags here give a shit about tectonic plates or whatever gay shit you think matters

This should just be in the OP in every wbg thread.
>>
>>67119647
>>67121256
to some of us, it's as jarring as seeing a dyslexic put a backwards s or ə in a word, mispelling, or bad grammer. just because you're too ignorant to appreciate logical maps doesn't mean more cultured people shouldn't strive for some sense of realism.
>>
>>67121508
>more cultured
Shut up retard.
You do not play table top games, you do not read fantasy novels. And if you do don't bother the dm/author with your innane drivel about "akshually the mountains would be more like this". None of that fucking matters in the slightest, the world is a medium for the story and the characters within it, not something for you to jerk off to because you have raging ocd and mountain ridges make you feel funny things in your pants/
>>
>>67121525
whatever helps you sleep at night kid, none of it changes the fact that you're just simply and unironically incorrect. you're wrong and you cannot deal with that without projecting your literary and gaming insecurities on others, I get that. if it helps you feel better, go ahead, lambast me as tho I was the one incorrect, as tho I were, in fact, the retard in this conversation.
>>
>>67119546
Click "heightmap."
>>
>>67121561
You are the retard in this conversation though.
>>
>>67121561
I didn't read half of what you typed once I realized you're the kind of retard who moans on and on trying ot make himself seem smart.
Tectonic plates do not matter in a fantasy setting, just like an anon said a few threads back, your readers/players absolutely do not care that Aljksdjfoyuksd means dog balls in high elven.
>>
OK, I need feedback on this. It's a document for my players, I've conveyed some of this verbally and through notes, however before we actually start the campaign I wanted to record the most fundamental thing about the world. It's rough, and I haven't put it through a word processor for spell check, and I apologize for that. Any feedback or commentary is welcome.

---
[Gaea is an isolated valley on the world of Gaea, an Earth analogy. There are some substantial differences in Gaeans, however they are not some fantasy race derivitive, they are the humans of their own world, and of their own world view. The following is not meant to reflect or comment on genderfaggotry in our world but an attempt to set the Gaeans apart in their own humanity.]

Gaeans

The Gaeans, or inhabatants of Gaea, see themselves as fully human in every way, and call themselves human in their own language. The only sentient species of Gaea they are what we would see as amphibious in features, with smooth skin and large, solid, dark eyes set somewhat high in their faces. Bipedal, with skin color varying throughout the spectrum and spotted, striped, or solid often in bright colors. Their noses are diminutive to the point of being mere orafices and their heads are hairless and smooth. They are however mamalian, and breasts are covered by chest hair which ranges naturally and in styling as widely as we have and vary our own crainial fur.

cont.
>>
>>67121581
The largest distinction is Gaeans have only one sex as a race, and three individuals are required to produce offspring. Two are required to produce gametes and a third to carry the fetus(es). Any of the memebers can be one of the two genetic donors, and any member can carry a child, should they so choose that role at that time. Socially one of the genetic donors often would be described as an "absentee" parent, leaving most children with two parents and a third that is related but does not actively participate in child rearing, regardless of proximity. Often one of the rearing parents is the birth parent, the individual who carried the child. These social norms are violated of course with single parents of any role, dual gene donors choosing to raise the child and the birth parent playing the absentee role, and all three parents playing the rearing role. There are of course orphans, adoptions, issues of sterility, but these are all far less common than we would experience. Much romance and dramatic literature and stage production are given to the love triangle in all its iterations, with major and minor love interests and jealosy on all sides.

Regardless of role and being of a singular biological sex, individuals present as what we would consider "male" and "female" and the translation of the common language to ours result in "he/his/him", "she/hers/her". It is seen as too arduous to use "xe/xer/xim", and the Gaeans take no offence to being what we would call "misgendered"; in fact it is not possible in their native language to misgender as they have only one. Languages have a similar existance and evolution, and while there are evidences of other languages existing in greater Gaea, the Gaea valley is reduced to one single common languages, and at least one obscure dead language analogous to Latin.

cont.
>>
>>67121589

In addition to romantic literature, much of the mythos and lore that our type of humans would know exists for the Gaeans. There natural analogies as well, wolves are wolves, dolphins would be dolphins, and tree frogs might be seen as distant ancestors, or might have evoloved similar to monkeys and be established in that environmental niche. Thus "monkey" would be, to us, a large colorful mostly hairless mammal, more akin to a large tree frog than our type of "monkey". By and large, these distinctions are not necessary, the important point and what is germaine to the story is the fact that the Gaeans see themselves as human, and see their world much like we would (or would have) viewed ours.

EOF
>>
>>67118056
That's pretty helpful, thanks. I did want to avoid monocultural species, and think I can use an approach like this.
>>
File: Prokudin-Gorskii-18.jpg (3.38 MB, 2866x2664)
3.38 MB
3.38 MB JPG
>>67113633
>>Does fate exist in your world?
The people of the Upper Grasslands believe in goddesses weaving the tapestry of their fates. Best not to tempt them lest they cut the tapestry short. In general, fate isn't an every day consideration for the rest of Wael.
>>If fate does exist, then is everything 100% fated or are only certain events fated?
It's only the fates of certain individuals that's 100% fated. They know what awaits them, how it concludes and that they can't fight it.

>Hard Mode:
>>How does one become a fortune teller or seer? Is the power benevolent, diabolical, or somewhere in-between?
There are no dedicated fortune tellers, only blood rituals can grant the ability to glimpse the future but even then, the work involved in such rituals is tremendous and rarely practical.
>>Can a prophecy ever be altered or even avoided entirely?
As far as anyone knows, no. Most people aren't even aware of things like prophecies and fates.

>Dante Must Die:
>>What is the scariest thing about knowing the future of your world?
That it ends sooner rather than later. The turn of the millennium could play a role in this.
>>
>>67121508
Maybe in realistic settings, but you have to admit that it can be cool when the geography is so alien that the setting truly feels dreamlike or magical should the setting call for it.
>>
>>67122477
Not any of the idiots who have been arguing, but the answer's really in between, and a bit different on a case-by-case basis.
You don't need to learn anatomy to draw a face, but the best portraitists absolutely know about muscle groups in the face, and it looks better even to the layman.
That said, many GMs sink into a hole where they care about this stuff more than just the amount needed to avoid glaring errors. Knowing just enough to not make it look plain stupid is as much as you need for GMing, and anything beyond that is excessive for a map your players will only really glance at to decide where they're going.
On the other hand, if you're also a geography geek and do enjoy the process of mapmaking, then whatever. That's a hobvy like any other, and I have difficulty understanding why someone on /tg/ of all places would rage at someone for having a nerdy hobby.
>>
>>67122614
>just the amount needed to avoid glaring errors. Knowing just enough to not make it look plain stupid
cannot be iterated enough
>>
File: 1541729329190.jpg (362 KB, 1920x1070)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
>>67122614
>You don't need to learn anatomy to draw a face, but the best portraitists absolutely know about muscle groups in the face, and it looks better even to the layman.
I agree with you but this bit is wrong or at least a bad example for the point you're trying to make. Even knowing that a face has two eyes, ears, one nose and one mouth is learning anatomy. A layman can tell when an artist has a basic foundation of anatomical studies or not, even if they can't pinpoint exactly what it is. We see faces everyday after all. It's why they simply say "something's off about this". The same can be said about map making, though the likelihood of a player going "hmmm these rock formations don't seem sound but I don't know why" is very low.
>Knowing just enough to not make it look plain stupid is as much as you need
I very much agree with this and not just to DM but for worldbuilding purposes in general.
>>
>>67122614
>why someone on /tg/ of all places would rage at someone for having a nerdy hobby.
I was upset at him for acting like an elitest snob and pushing the idea that your setting must have a wonderfuly crafted geography when most players will simply not even pay attention to the map, and those that do will likely not pay attention to the geography that much, and those that do will likely not care that you didn't make it realistic.
That way of thought is detrimental to lots of world builders and throws them down the rabbit hole of geography instead of actually helping them in areas tangible to the players
>>
>>67124316
Yeah, that's fair. It's not uncommon that I see someone getting into worldbuilding so they can make an rpg setting for their friends, only for someone to lead them to believe they'll look like an idiot if they make anything but a perfectly plausible planet to every detail with all of its history since the dawn of time fleshed out.
>>
File: 2016-09-07 15.28.10.jpg (1.65 MB, 2435x1485)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
Does your setting have giants? Are they extinct?
>>
File: 1562461094637.jpg (12 KB, 250x221)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>67121508
>this whole post
>unironically
>>
File: plate-hires.jpg (257 KB, 2000x1114)
257 KB
257 KB JPG
>>
>>
File: PTmap.gif (14 KB, 548x286)
14 KB
14 KB GIF
>>
File: tzmapcolour.jpg (158 KB, 667x960)
158 KB
158 KB JPG
>>
File: 1528106478425.jpg (619 KB, 2379x1918)
619 KB
619 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>67128981
Reminder to not try and pass your fantasy worldbuilding off as actual cartography.
>>
File: 037.jpg (35 KB, 400x222)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>67128190
Hmm, my world's supposed to draw heavily from storybook fairy tales, which definitely have some giants. Giants in many fairy tales seem to live surprisingly similarly to civilized humans, just larger, with a full range of personalities from cruel to jolly. Perhaps giants in the setting should just literally be humans with a rare condition that causes them to grow tremendously?
I hadn't given that much thought, but I'll have to kick the concept around a bit.
>>
>>67129075
this is actually something I want my players to understand. while *I* as the DM know the world, the map I gave you might have been made by some guy paid by the king to go west and map all the lands and the guy just went to a frontier tavern, drunk all his commission away and made maps based on traveler tales and outright guessing. Anyone who followed his "fantasy" maps was not likely to return an complain due to the outright fallacy of the maps.
>>
File: half-orc tg.png (243 KB, 600x745)
243 KB
243 KB PNG
>>67129239
giants could have human babies, human moms could have giant babies.

also are their no other races in your world? if there are why do humans be the only race that catches giantism randomly? no giant not!elves, not!dwarves, no giant pixes?
>>
File: travelmap.jpg (300 KB, 939x607)
300 KB
300 KB JPG
>>67130965
If you want to get pseudo-historical, the real maps used by real merchants looked nothing like what we consider maps, and looked more like (pic related) except far more artistic -- this is just some bullshit I whipped up in 5 minutes.

Imagine each of those circles was a tiny, extremely detailed but only vaguely realistic city, castle or village, and the lines connecting them were drawn as roads, with little drawings along the roads suggesting forests, bandits, monsters and the like, and the sea lanes being drawn with crashing waves and little ships sailing them.

The scale is almost meaningless, and its more about giving a sense of relative distances and the places you should be passing through on your way from here to there.
>>
I'm writing down some of the stuff I have in my head about my world, but what should I call the category pertaining to how stuff works in the world, e.g. magic, the gods, the calendar, etc?
>>
File: MedievalMap.jpg (1.66 MB, 1851x2806)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
>>67131474
A real example of the sort of map I'm talking about, though this is fairly undetailed.
>>
>>67131490
"Cosmology" can cover:
>Astronomy (e.g. calendars)
>Stars and Planets
>Extradimensional Planes, Alternate Universes, etc.
>Gods, Angels, Demons, Devils, Extraplanar Beings, etc.

"Metaphysics" can cover:
>Magic
>Faith and Religion, Gods
>Natural Laws (if they differ from normal Earth assumptions)
>Souls, Afterlives, the Undead

It's not unusual to put calendars in their own section, sometimes along with a section on holidays.
>>
>Men, Orcs, Elves, and many other races experience a near apocalyptic event as hordes of goblins breach the surface and raid their lands in what seems to be an extemely desperate manner.
>Word then reaches the various races via one way or another that the dwarven under legions were systematically driving the goblins out of the underdark or eradicating them in general in a bid to expand thier underground holdings
>The goblins between the over races and the dwarves have all but been wiped out in the setting

This sound plausible? Was inspired by the huns having the effect of causing the migrations of peoples.

Only instead of the huns its dwarves systematically genociding their most hated racial foe.
>>
>>67132311
Sounds cool. Are the dwarves generally seen as an enemy by the overworld races then since they're the cause of the catastrophe?
>>
>>67113809
I like the distribution of Maadi and Akari, but everything else is way too neatly cut up for such a roughly defined (because small in number) set of ethnicities. This is basically world building with the most interesting crutch for culture building removed.
>>
The Sea of Erotic Manga in Australia.

Geologists are such pervs.
>>
File: eromanga sea map_b.gif (12 KB, 527x272)
12 KB
12 KB GIF
>>
File: FourClans.png (192 KB, 1265x1205)
192 KB
192 KB PNG
How garbage is this mythology? Obviously going to purple prose the hell out of it later when I actually need religious texts

>Standard goddess trio creates universe & life
>Due to reasons (families in danger of something), four animals end up working together to seek out the goddesses
>A dragon (think Discworld swamp dragon), a forest sprite, a fox, and an ape.
>To reward their bravery and camaraderie, the goddesses uplift the creatures to human forms and take one each as their clan
>The Maiden chooses the dragon, and gifts them great strength, and names them the Wyverians of the Dragon Clan
>The Mother chooses the fox, gifts them courage and curiosity, names them the Kitsune of the Fox Clan
>The Crone chooses the forest sprite, gifts them longevity and wisdom, and names them the Elves of the Sprite Clan
>feeling sympathy for the uplifted Apes having no deity to name or guide them, the three goddesses gift them great magical power, becoming the Ape Clan
>and thus the Four Clans of Humanity were created

>>67134028
Jesus fucking christ why is the post button right next to the 'drag to make the text box bigger' thingy
>>
File: dddeeditled.png (767 KB, 1419x1415)
767 KB
767 KB PNG
>>67134111
I rather like it .
>>
>>67134111
>'humans' are divided into 4 distinct races
So how would a, for example, half-kitsune half-dragon work?

>elves are just a subclass of humans
I'm not sure how I feel about this

>Short elves, Tall kitsune
All of my yes
>>
>>67134812
>>'humans' are divided into 4 distinct races
>So how would a, for example, half-kitsune half-dragon work?

They don't, there are no half-whatevers. It's entirely down to chance which clan a child will be born into.
There's a fairly well-known tragedy about a dragon and an elf who had twins, but the twins were from each clan. The dragon child dies of old age while the elf is still just a child. It's the biggest reason why elves tend to stay to themselves.

>>elves are just a subclass of humans
>I'm not sure how I feel about this

Tried to do something different with all of them really:
>Elves aren't that special besides living 20 times longer than the others
>Dragons are the most common of the races and aren't uniquely magical
>Kitsune... don't have tails? I think I need to find more unique points for them. More bureaucratic than tricksters.
>Vanilla Humans are actually specialists rather than the usual 'jack of all trades'

>>Short elves, Tall kitsune
>All of my yes

My man!
>>
>>67134192
>great wet desert
>>
File: DDcyclops.jpg (105 KB, 1092x570)
105 KB
105 KB JPG
>>67128190
Giants are based on the idea that ye olde people mistook elephant and mammoth skulls for cyclops skulls due to the central hollow. They're grey skinned, have big noses and tusks, and some of them become or are born as cyclopses: their giant eye is a source or symptom of enlightenment. Regular giants can have very tough clay or stone-like skin that makes them very difficult to harm without using weapons or arrows that you'd usually use for dealing with well armoured knights.
They live in mountains, wastelands and tundras. Humans view pretty much all of them as barbarians, but the church and religious areas are happy to have them around if they convert. In other places they're accepted as labour or slaves. One !European mercenary company's gimmick is that they've got a giant as a soldier. They treat him pretty well and he's very useful for scaring the shit out of enemies and for speeding up sieges.

Trolls also exist and are believed by humans to be related to giants. Trolls are human sized and they're like elephant neanderthals: like giants they have big, bulbous noses, grey or brown skin, and tusks. Humans, giants, trolls and elephants are actually all related species evolved from an elephantine common ancestor. Some human races sport some or all of the elephantine features like wrinkly, enlarged noses, tusk-like teeth and grey skin.
>>
File: 4501660415_51e7678729_o.jpg (7.43 MB, 2300x2328)
7.43 MB
7.43 MB JPG
>>
>>67128190
>>
>>67134192
>>67135374
>West Eastland
>East Westland
>While looking for Trouble, you can end up at Rock Bottom
I like this map.
>>
>>67132453

For the most part. The dwarves lack in giving a fuck though currently even though they should. The whole goblin over-migration event presages the literal rise of the now united and much expanded dwarven empire.
>>
>>67114108
>>67114121
>>67114530
>>67114656
Anyways the human federation has government, culture and religion that is basically a mix of 1950's USA and Imperial Japan and favor long range combat, the Regulators are basically philosopher atheists with a semi hivemind that uses both long rang combat and melee combat equally, the clan race worship the second race as gods, tend to reproduce and have sex like made, they also really love melee combat to the point of putting blades on there fighters, bombers and starships. Also does anyone have any questions about this setting.
>>
Do you find it's better to create a world with a large number of civilizations (ex. 15 medium-small civilizations), or just do a world comprising ~5 large states?
>>
>>67141923
I usually favor smaller numbers of states and cultures. Partly so that humans feel like they're a less common species than they are in the real world and also lets you better focus on those places without getting too overwhelmed.
>>
I was thinking of a setting that takes place during the 70s or 80s involving secret paranormal/supernatural government agencies and conspiracies, kind of like Hunter: The Vigil but with a cold war and SCP type twist, the USA agency deals with of aliens, the Chinese agency and Japanese agency deals with yokai and other asian myths though the Japanese one is made up of magical girls, The EU agency deals with European fantasy and myths such as wizards and dragons, the USSR agency deals with werewolves and vampires, a christian agency in Italy that deals with demons, and an agency in Greek that deals with creatures from Greek myths. This agencies and their governments are unaware that the other agencies and any paranormal/supernatural entities covered by those agencies exists as the areas with these paranormal and supernatural mostly do not overlap, though when they do overlap, it tends to result in an agency having to deal with another paranormal or supernatural being they had no idea exists and have no experience in dealing with.
>>
How do you come up with unique human nations and cultures in a relatively low magic setting? Most of the time my mind just defaults to real world cultures. The funnest I've gotten so far have been wild alt history scenarios, like if an early iron age desert civilization near the fertile crescent had a religious exodus and formed colonies and settlements while making their way northwards on a religious pilgrimage to the northernmost land in the known world, making a coastal empire similar to the Phoenicians while also being the dominant power in the northern regions at a time when most of the cultures lacked cities, written language, or masonry, with surviving texts being a large window into the past in the current(late medieval/early modern) era, containing lots of accounts of names and cultures along with ruins and temples in general, along with being an explanation for dark skinned people being parts of the same modern day cultures
>>
File: 337e03c8ddj01.jpg (35 KB, 720x1008)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>67143927
>How do you come up with unique human nations and cultures in a relatively low magic setting? Most of the time my mind just defaults to real world cultures
You take a culture you like and add elements from other cultures. You need a good reason to add something, though, otherwise it will feel like just a mishmash.
>>
>>67144645
To add to this, it can also help to pair this with something you want/need to add to your setting, like I made an ancient civilization so that my players would have ruins to explore, or a certain nation because I had certain spells I wanted to add to the setting revolving around shadow and ice magic.
>>
>>67143838
I did something similar to this but it took place in the 1860s and the civil war. My friends really liked it. Using the mythology of the real world is a great advantage too since you can just look things up instead of having to come up with virtually everything yourself.
>>
>>67144645
Not that anon, but does it ever annoy you when a culture is too similar to a real-world one? Just curious.
>>
>>67144751
>Using the mythology of the real world is a great advantage too since you can just look things up instead of having to come up with virtually everything yourself.
Though I do need to come up with names for each agency, though the USA agency I can just give it the same name as the alien/men in black conspiracy aka Majestic12. Also each agency would have training and equipment/technology to mostly deal with the paranormal/supernatural beings of their home country, so it would be interesting when these "masquerades" and agency cross paths, like vampire hunters or magical girls finding out that aliens exists and the USA has an agency to deal with them.
>>
File: 1541717663644.jpg (238 KB, 1031x1400)
238 KB
238 KB JPG
>>67144776
Not really. Helps to add elements from cultures from different continents or ages, does enough to make it distinct. Like having 16th century Japan as a base, with elements from 12th century Mongols and 15th century Inca. But as I said, you need to have a good reason for adding elements from other cultures and it's especially helpful if you know how these elements came to be in the first place because then you can integrate them much easier with your world.
>>
File: 1545132701516.jpg (262 KB, 1920x1080)
262 KB
262 KB JPG
>>67145066
Forgot to add: cultures shouldn't be static either. They should take from other cultures as well as evolve on their own. So you start with not!Rome, add chinese merchants and mercenaries and eventually you get something new. You can't have not!Rome be the same culturally for hundreds of years, especially if it deals with various other cultures.
>>
What are some things I should keep in mind when writing islander or archipelagic cultures?
>>
>>67145186
“Better to sleep with a sober cannibal than a drunk Christian”
>>
>>67143927
Read a bunch of things. Mix and match.

Getting deeper and more detailed helps a lot. If you're thinking in terms of "okay, what would be an interesting variation on the organization of executive power here," "what would they do for laws/judicial system," "how do they approach writing," that's much better fodder for making something new and interesting than starting from nothing.

This is especially true if you're willing to look into real historical cultures to get novel ideas and expand beyond the Roman/Germanic/Enlightenment worldview on law and society. Nobody will notice you're mixing a Hungarian noble republic with the racial caste system of the Caliphate of Cordoba, no matter how blatant you make it.
>>
>>67113633
bump of hope
>>
I'm having trouble coming up with names for my Native American (Carib) based culture. I don’t want to just use real Carib words, but I also don’t want to make up racist Indian-sounding names
>>
>>67148178
Well that is a pickle. I'd say either use real words or pick a bunch of sounds that you feel sound most like Caribbean languages and make new words with them.
>>
File: 8499956966_806df4d410_b.jpg (366 KB, 1024x819)
366 KB
366 KB JPG
>>
File: nightland-hodgson.jpg (99 KB, 411x484)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
Am I 'cheaping out' by using Night Land style descriptive names for my landmarks and monsters instead of coming up with actual names?
>>
>>67149637
Yes, but you should be doing it anyway.
>>
>>67149637
"Actual names" are just descriptive names in another language or an old variant of the current language, assuming the places weren't named after a person or another place (e.g. New York). At some point in history someone called that river valley with two forts in it "Defended Dale" which over a few hundred years devolved into "Dervendel" or something, they didn't just make up a word to begin with.

tl;dr: no you're not cheaping out just make sure the descriptive names are interesting.
>>
>>67148178
Create a naming language. Less work than a full conlang, more than good enough for names, places and things. Pays off to work on one for a day or two.
>>67149637
Nope, all those exotic names in other languages are just descriptive names in their own tongue.
>>
>>67150920
>>
File: IPA_chart_2018-1.png (225 KB, 1700x2200)
225 KB
225 KB PNG
>>67150920
>>67150936
>>
>>67149637
This is pretty wild, what is it? Something made in 1995?
>>
>>67151883
That map in particular? Probably. But "The Night Land" itself is from like 1912
>>
>>67152773
Strangely nostalgic. Will check the book(s) out.
>>
>>67148178
>>67150920
>>67150936
>>67151021
Chances are your conlang is going to end up sounding like "racist Indian-sounding" words. Unless all the sudden these caribs are going to be enjoying high tea in their conservatories while they gaze outside at the latest dirigible, you're going to go for standard sounds in Caribbean languages.
My advice is don't waste your damn time on minutiae like making sure every village, river, mountain, sacred place, forest, ruin, etc actually means something in your made-up language.
If your setting is uninteresting, or your characters are boring and stupid, I'm not going to give a shit as a player what this town's name means when we walk past it on the way to the Ruins of Unpronounceable-ness to kill the evil avatar of the God Whose Name Cannot Be Said & reclaim the sacred jewels of I Haven't Bothered to Write that Down on my Character Sheet
>>
>>67153513
if you characters are interested in the lore behind some place, then bother coming up with a name meaning, history, etc. But don't waste time on places or things that won't ever come into play.
There is nothing wrong with filler just to populate blank spaces until they become important later on
>>
>>67153398
The original story is great, but read the re-written one unless you enjoy purple prose and the author mangling "thee"s and "thou"s

"Awake in the Night Land" is a collection os shorter stories, some of them good but they have a bad habit of trying to explain stuff that was weird and scary because it was unexplained
>>
>>67153550
This, use your best judgment >>67153513 anon, shit's not hard.
>>
>>67130990
Plenty more races. For the first time, likely to shake things up a bit, the players wanted "lots" of races. Humans are one of the largest, though, and most of the world is actually dwarf-centric. I've tossed the idea around that the dwarves of the expected adventuring region often call humans their language's word for giant, so it being a rare condition that humans develop is fitting.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (11 KB, 506x88)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>67154787
my second post was the tl;dr
>>
File: tr4flkdy2gp11.jpg (82 KB, 926x1248)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>67155251
How was I to know nigga?
jk have spooky forest
>>
Bump
>>
How are your towns lit?
>>
>>67113633

> >Does fate exist in your world?

Fate doesn't necessarily exist--but it does take a special kind of person to be able to make it such. Most people and events are results of fate, but it does not need to be so in my world. The closest thing to fate existing in the universe would be 'the eternal song', from which events and mass develop (and vice versa).

>If fate does exist, then is everything 100% fated or are only certain events fated?

No, see above.

Divination lets magic users to read into the past, the present, or the future. There are various ways to do this, all revolving around the idea of observation. Some read dice, some read stones, some read books, playing cards, tea--or even coffee grounds. All can be used to examine or listen to the 'eternal song'--or at least for an attempt to be made.

It is prone to error, usually tied to one's skill and endurance. It is one thing to be able to observe the past, or see a potential future--for beginners it is very difficult to even discern the two! The more skill a user has, however, translates into more clear pictures of the past/present/future, as well as more attention to detail, minimizing error in divination.
>>
>>67158260
Everyone gets drunk as fuck
>>
>>67158260
Lightstones. Villages and smaller towns use rough uncut crystals, large towns and small cities carve them into simple diamond or spherical cuts, and larger cities cut their lightstones into decorative patterns and sigils
>>
>>67158838
Do they shine all of the time?
>>
>>67159796
No they only shine when you turn on the lightswitchstone connected to the lightstone by the wiringstone
>>
Can I get some help with a bit of worldbuilding? I'm not so great at the more urban side of making settings.

My setting's nation is maintained by 5 guilds: the military guild (guards and soldiers), the thinker's guild (scholars and engineers), the mediator's guild (religious leaders), and the laborer's guild (mundane work).

Each of these guild has varying degrees of influence in different cities. For example, a more militarized city may be run mostly by the military guild, while a more bohemian settlement would give more sway to the artisan guild. Unlike Ravnica, these guilds are not (typically) competitive against each other, and tend to work more harmoniously.

Nearly every adult citizen is a member of one of these guilds. So the question is: why? How do these guilds improve the quality of life for their members? I know guilds in real life do basic things like providing insurance, maintaining costs, and other similar benefits, but when these guilds are also effectively tied to the government, I feel that there's opportunity for something more interesting.

What other ideas could I incorporate into this concept?
>>
>>67159955
If you practice something that falls under the guild's purview but aren't in it, they break your legs
>>
File: 1430644405676.jpg (828 KB, 3000x2119)
828 KB
828 KB JPG
My setting has a fate-weaving goddess. What are some good names for someone who has peeked at the tapestry of their life?
>>
>>67160828
Depends on if they can influence it or not, and if so, to what degree.
>>
>>67161135
They may struggle against their fate but the outcome is the same.
>>
File: 1541730110036.jpg (325 KB, 1920x1009)
325 KB
325 KB JPG
Pardon the dumb question, but in cultures where natural elements are personified and deified, did the people still make a separation between the actual thing and the created deity? As in, if a roman citizen pointed at the sun would he say "that's Sol right there" or "that's the sun"? I'm trying to make heads or tails of personification, specifically to what degree a culture's population believed in such things. I imagine it was the default way of looking at things, with scholars and other learned persons dismissing it?
>>
Retarded question but where the fuck does drinkable water come from? I know a lot of is snowmelt from mountains/rainfall-rivers-lakes-etc etc

But where would people get their drinking water on small islands surrounded by salt water?
>>
How meta is too meta for a general cosmology of the world?
I get really bored at work and just keep adding layers upon layers to what should basically be a simple plot, and I can't stop.
If I make the DM a God above all other gods, and saying that the PCs are all inherently special because they are the only beings in existence outside of the God Above All's direct control, is that too much?

>>67161672
You ever watch the movie Cast Away? A lot of small islands have rainwater reservoirs, small rivers or streams, or aquifers underground.
>>
>>67161712
oh shucks I was thinking something bigger than a cast away island but still "small" in my mind, like some of the baltic islands.
>>
What are some cool emigrated cultures or cultures in places you wouldn't have expected(like Madagascar being Polynesian in culture for a long time or North Africa/Iberia being ruled by Germanic kingdoms) to draw inspiration from if your world is built around many societies emigrating due to magical natural disasters throughout human history?

Theres the Gothic kingdoms in Asia and Africa, multinational Turkic confederacies and the Huns, Phoenicians sort of fit the bill with a large civilization of Punic coastal territories throughout the Mediterranean, the Jewish exodus, the Romani exodus, what else?
>>
>>67161599
Some American Indians and I believe the Aztecs praised the sun directly I think Europeans mostly worshiped the sun as a way to worship Sol, the same way one could pray to a statue of the Virgin Mary to pray, but that also leads to iconoclasts
>>
>>67161154
Fly-in-the-web
>>
File: Spoiler Image (11 KB, 700x700)
11 KB
11 KB GIF
>>67149637
Made a thing. 300 hours in gimp.
>>
>>67128190
There are some giants still around but they're very elusive and tend not to want to bother with smaller races. Its rumored that the trolls and ogres came from them, though both races deny it, and they are rather ambivalent about the giants themselves. The fire giants are all gone except for one who because he sided with the gods of the smallfolk rather than his own was made a god himself; dwarves are especially fond of him.
>>
How does /tg/ feel about man/alien/artificially-made planets in scifi/science fantasy? Cuz in the megaverse I'm making, an ancient precursor who spawned when the galaxy was young was the first sprawling stellar empire who decided that rather than terraforming or hoping to find a good planet just decided to into astroengineering and make entirely new systems because they're a bunch of cunts like that.
>>
>>67158260

City lamps and lamp lighters. The lamp lighters guild has a surprisingly large amount of pull in the politics of the capital and it's reach is far spread throughout the empire itself claiming monopoly over the trade in general.
>>
>>67163866

Personally I love it. I have a race simply known as "the dominant" that did that when some of the milky way was annihilated with the use of RKV's and other super weapons.
>>
>>67163963
Good stuff. The race in my megaverse that does it the most are the Aeternians, who've long since ditched their organic bodies and gone mechanical/energy beings inhabiting machine shells. They take stock of the many unbelievably myriad organisms in the galaxy and make sure they have a good breeding stock for when they make a new planet/star system or if a race they don't want to die is close to extinction. Usually, this is done by forceful abduction of breeding populations, but their hearts are in the right place.
>>
>>67162186
Sorry, not sure I understand completely. Would a roman citizen be able to separate the sun from the entity of Sol or would they be one and the same? From what I'm reading online, "belief" is a hard term to apply to such cultures due to how ingrained their pantheon was in almost every part of their society.
>>
Do backups of your work. Right now.

Because I did backups I had my work saved from January instead of June last year, and in the case of the map and one text file updates from march. Had a reformat a few weeks ago.

It really pays to do backups. SO DO A BACKUP
>>
>>67163866
Still can't get over Proteans and Reapers in Mass Effect. They really built up the mystery surrounding them in the games. Same with the cantaloupe-heads in KotOR. Basically, yes. Better make them fascinating though.
>>
>>67164540
It's all synced to cloud drives. Why wouldn't anyone do this?
>>
>>67133184
Not really sure I understand what your criticism is supposed to mean. What is it you think is "the most interesting crutch?"
>>
So how's your games going, lads?
>>
File: The Islands.png (2.53 MB, 4098x1875)
2.53 MB
2.53 MB PNG
Thinking about starting a new campaign with a whole new setting. Started by making a map.

The idea is "Pirates of the Not-Caribbean."
>>
>>67159796
If there's ambient mana, yes. So unless someone creates an antimagic field around them they pretty much shine forever
>>
>>67164574
Honestly I wish the Protheans were kept a mystery rather than Javik being a companion in 3. I was fine with Collectors being Protheans horribly mutated by the Reapers but didn't want an actual prothean. Kind of sad, honestly.
>>
>>67113633
> scariest thing
everything ends, and it's not likely it can be changed
>>
>>67164621
Particular cultural groups having to evolve differently under different circumstances. The crutch here is the full knowledge of an ethnicity's background as defined by the main group and then modelling from their how they develop when bordering a completely different set of cultures. I imagine you'll say you've already done this, especially considering how detailed your ethnic movements are (>>67118056) but then all I can say is that they ended up miracolously well defined and fluidly transitioning.

Dunno if you understood it now, I don't think it was that hard to understand in the first place, so maybe have some praise instead: I think the way you tackle cultural development leads to extremely cohesive and internally consistent worlds.
>>
>>67164662
Pretty good. One of the players wanted to try running a little story arc in our campaign, and he's been doing pretty well, so I'm taking the time off to prep stuff early for our next campaign.
>>
pg 10 map
>>
>>
To translate dwarven clan names - yay or nay? Translated keeps them from sounding bland and generic but you end up with weird shit your players won't bother learning to pronounce.
>Clan Athkul'thatr
Or
>Clan Steelstar
>>
>>67165030
I'm fine with Protheans appearing, I just don't think Javik needed to be a companion. A DLC like Leviathan or Shadow Broker about the protheans would've been much more enjoyable.
>>
>>67169614
I'd translate them.
>>
>>67169614
It's usually best to translate them or provide them both though if your dwarves are really alien to your players, keeping the names in their native language can play up that strangeness.
>>
>>67169614
Make the dwarven name short, easy to say, and cool sounding
>>
>>67170186
I was thinking something similar. If the players aren't familiar with dwarves then they'd only know them by how the clan name sounds in dwarven. But when they get more familiar with dwarven lands or the language, they'd begin to understand the meaning of the name. Just as if you went to some foreign country and asked what some famous river was called before you understood the meaning of the name.
>>67170224
While I like the apostrophe to add a bit of mystique, Athkul runs better off the tongue than Athkul'thatr.
>>
>>67164522
They knew what the sun was, worship of the sun is a way of worshiping Sol
>>
File: A&8 Political Map.png (4.89 MB, 3240x2186)
4.89 MB
4.89 MB PNG
>>
>>67131539
Any good guides on how to make authentically medieval trade maps?
>>
>>67166251
I think it's more that the for gaming purposes I've gone with a very high level of abstraction, somewhere between "race" and "ethnicity." I wouldn't expect perfect cultural uniformity across those entire areas, but breaking it down any more than the level I've broken it down to is just...well, it's just pointless.

As it stands, Rhûne has 15 different human ethnic groups, each modeled loosely on a real culture. That's quite a lot to ask players to absorb, and gives them plenty of options to pick from, and can support pretty much any archetype appropriate to fantasy gaming.

I feel like going deeper than I have would just get kind of wanky.
>>
>>67172623
No, not really. Sorry.
>>
>>67172623
If it's meant for a modern audience, don't bother because they are a pain in the ass to read.
>>
>>67172623
The big question is;

What data do you want to present?
>>
Is there any pattern to where it's most convenient to build bridges? Like, is there any reason why the best place to cross the river shouldn't be upstream/downstream/whatever?
>>
>>67176073
>>67174928
Point taken. I'll probably go with more of a stereotypical fantasy map and make sure some parts are inaccurate or incomplete for what I'm hoping to achieve. An inconsistent map can be fun, but an unusable map won't be.
>>
File: divided japan2.jpg (1.4 MB, 2550x3300)
1.4 MB
1.4 MB JPG
>>67172242
So...alternate history maps? What's the story behind this one? I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.
>>
How does this idea sound for my fate-centric setting?

The empire upholds a caste-like system that sorts people into guilds based on the star sign they were born under. Each star sign is associated with a guild that tries to improve the livelihood of its members. For example:
>"John was born under the star sign of the Ram, which means he is presumed to grow up stubborn and steadfast. The Ram Guild has brokered a deal with the blacksmiths of [CITY]: by bolstering their workforce and offering insurance, they can grant discounts and other benefits to all members of the Ram guild. Because of this, it is likely that John will be raised to be a blacksmith, with a job lined up for him as soon as he is capable. John wears a signet ring with a carving of a ram head on it so that others can identify him by his star sign."

This isn't a hierarchy system; no star sign is intentionally above the others. But some families may try more political strategies, such as trying to have a child born under the same star they were born under to maintain their influence within that guild/caste.
>>
>>67178706
Aces & Eights, a western game.
>>
>>67179665
Ah. Never heard about it. I just liked the idea of a spy game set during the 1960's, in a world where Japan was divided, China remained Democratic, and the Middle East went Communist. Never could find a decent system for it.
>>
File: 1515730925933.jpg (120 KB, 897x494)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Are there any weird problems or concerns with taking the Late Roman Republic, and swapping out the Senatorial class with Sorcerous bloodlines? I'm working on a setting based in that sort of era and culture, and I'm wondering if it would cause dissonance for the Not!Romans to have their upper-level Patricians be a powerful source of magic due to their heroic and legendary bloodlines.
>>
>>67180480
Aside from mages being the only creatures less politically stable than Romans?

The main issue is that handing the Patrician's phenomenal cosmic power is that it massively tips the balance in favour of the elitist Opitmate tendency without some sort of mitigating factor since it confirms their entire position of noble supremacy.

The political divide between the Opitmates and the Populares, and more importantly the ability for ambitious politicians such as Julius Caesar and Sulla to harness the power of the mob against the political establishment was a driving force in Late Republic politics. Without that rift the political landscape is going to look very different.
>>
>>67181009
Hmm. Good point.
>>
>>67181009
>Sulla the populares
>>
>>67180449
Sounds pretty cool, got any more maps?
>>
>>67182013
Not really. One or two proto-maps of the original. The setting was more or less meant to focus on Japan. Would've been fun. I had plans to have an alternate-universe Bruce Lee be their Chinese government contact.
>>
>>67180480
As I see it you'd still have a conflict between the populares and optimates provided that you'd still had the earlier secessions of the plebs, which I guess depends on the power of magic within your setting.
However the patron and client system would likely be much closer since the patron would have much more capacity to extend to his client.
Depending on the hereditary or random nature of magic capacity you'd also see a change in dynamic regarding New Men and the senate. If magic is something virtually exlusive to certain blood lines then it might be a real challenge for New Men to make themselves.
With wizard bloodlines you'd also have a whole new host of fresh taboos which would necessitate that the senatorial class relied even further on their clients to be able to function and prosper in society which would result in changed power dynamics over time as lower classes begin to prosper and become preeminant within certain fields.
>>
>>67113633
Is it unreasonable for people to be wearing full plate armor in the desert? Is it too hot?
Also, if an empire like the Ottomans had manufactured full plate, what would it look like?
>>
>>67183184
If you look at really hot regions, no one wore full plate there. Byzantine Empire, Timur's Empire, both existed at the time of popularization of full plate in Europe, had all the means and resources to produce it, but never did.
>>
File: 1507233060838.jpg (284 KB, 1997x1374)
284 KB
284 KB JPG
>>67178706
I used Franklin as a political entity in a game setting once,

>>67178809
I like the Star signs but the guilds seem odd,

More subdivisions would be cool

Ram with Luna Ascendant in Polaris.

instead of

August? Here is your shovel, dig ditches the rest of your life.
>>
How crucial is plastic for technology? Could a civilization achieve ours or greater levels of technology without having cheap plastic (I guess expensive specialized polymers are unavoidable)? Can a civilization into space without plastic?
>>
File: 1529770269535.png (576 KB, 1820x851)
576 KB
576 KB PNG
>>67184644
Pretty inevitable, it would be possible for it to be culturally avoided (mostly), but knowledge of it would exist.

You might be able to build a spaceship without plastic.
>>
File: carradoros.png (4.75 MB, 3094x2400)
4.75 MB
4.75 MB PNG
>>67184763
Bumping with a city I did ages and ages ago
>>
>>67186712
I like it. The aqueduct and the neighborhood plinth/obelisks are a nice touch.

Did you detail it?
>>
>>67187689
I think there was a rough district outline, but only for after the city had been destroyed. The game this was for played some four hundred years after this map was made and some three hundred years after it was raised to the ground by a misguided crusade.

I've posted some other stuff of that setting in yonder thread, including an a bit more competent city map:
>>67182996
>>67183583
>>67183721
>>
File: 1553393346396.jpg (118 KB, 500x560)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
Quick gents, I need a name for my not!Catholic state religion which dictates how people lead their lives.
>>
>>67188097
Messianic Judaism.
>>
>>67186712
Neat!
>>67188097
>I need a name for my not!Catholic state religion
Universalism
The Universal Faith
Anoitism
Govarism
>>
>>67188097
Tell us more about it. Is there a messiah? Is martyrdom celebrated and are general Catholic values all the same?
>>
>>67188097
The Path
The Way
The Ascent
>>
>>67189579
It's a lot of rules like you may not plant more than a quarter acre as a personal garden, traditional marriage is between a gene donor and carrier no other configuration is acceptable, may not climb higher than 3 man heights, tithes of food and material shall go to the church, no permanent shelter shall be build outside the boundaries of a town, towns may not be founded anew, all trade must be conducted in Capital, no more than 11 units of ore may be extracted, crops shall be rotated in such and such, no field may be fallow for more than one season, water may not be diverted or stored, etc.

They used to ritually sacrifice, but since the population has been down they don't have excess people.
>>
>>67190019
I feel you may have a distorted view of religion, I'd recommend reading some religious history, comparative mythology, or at least the Wikipedia page on religion.
>>
>>67190483
There are settings in which a caricature of religions is perfectly fine
>>
>>67190019
Why would anyone ever want to live here?
>>
>>67190019
>crops shall be rotated in such and such, no field may be fallow for more than one season, water may not be diverted or stored
Call it the Church of the Nebraska Groundwater Management and Protection Act
>>
>>67190483
What exactly did you think the old testament is originally if not a collection of laws, e.g. don't eat pork, no dairy and meat?
>>
>>67190729
>implying they have a choice

>>67190783
CoNGMaPA
Cong Mapa
His Head the Most Holy Mapa, praise Cong
>>
>>67190019
Ah, there's a bit of a difference between a parody of Christianity and not-Catholicism.
Church of the Actually Real God
We-Won-the-Schism-ism
Leviticism
Yeahwayanity
>>
>>67191099
It's state sponsored, there is a lot of obey authority, honor your gene donor and "mother", don't be homo, the head Mapa is the one true representative of Cong or whatever. So far im partial to The Way.
>>
>>67191154
THE ONE TRUE WAY.
>>
File: 1530832636682.jpg (1.41 MB, 3000x4500)
1.41 MB
1.41 MB JPG
>>
Help me out friends.
I need some ways to display to my players that they're walking into a country with a very corrupt, bloated central government without displaying the country or the government as overtly evil.

An example I've already come up with is that customs officers gouge foreigners with excessive "taxes" as they enter the country, using part of the profits to bribe higher-ups/law enforcement to look the other way.
What are some other things to do?
>>
>>67191008
Have you read it? It has instructions, but it's way more than that.
>>
File: 1533716001335.jpg (244 KB, 2048x1152)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>
>>67195370
Very pretty! Yours?
>>
>>67192655
Foreigners pay 2x the price across the board.
>>
File: WP_20180723_12_15_24_Pro.jpg (1.84 MB, 3072x1728)
1.84 MB
1.84 MB JPG
Not mine, I post it to inspire.
>>
>>67193013
Yes and I'm not writing an entire bible, I highlighted things germane to the campaign.
>>
>>67195576
good shit but someone tell that anon that thicker paper exists
>>
>>67191099
These names make me chuckle.
>>
Has anyone, perchance, any tools or references which might aid in creating good oceans? I'm building a world which is mostly water, but in going after topographical maps of our own ocean floor for inspiration and instruction, I've found that depth seems to be kept track of only in the most ballpark of terms. Any pointers? Anyone ever try to build an ocean, as it were?
>>
>>67192655
If you want anything done you're going to have to bribe someone.
Cops, guardsmen and officials will stop you from time to time and more or less obviously request a bribe to not bother you.
As such societal trust will be extremely low since everyone have to make sure that they themselves won't get into trouble if the taxman comes a-knocking a second time.
>>
>>67190019
For a comedy campaign I can see this as a gateway for some great Monty Python-esque fun. If you want a somewhat serious campaign though that is retarded.
>>
>>67198185
I generally use a black/white clouds layer for making realistic hills and mountains. They're also good for making oceans. I'd suggest making a couple of layers, removing varying degrees of black and adding bevel and emboss. Then change out the opacity for each layer until it looks good. Color code to taste, though light = shallow and dark = deep always works with shades of blue.
>>
File: star system 1.jpg (3.36 MB, 6600x5100)
3.36 MB
3.36 MB JPG
Bumping with an unfinished star system map/representation.
>>
File: 28490.jpg (571 KB, 2560x1600)
571 KB
571 KB JPG
So for this space setting I'm working on I'm pretty much saying 'fuck realism' and having a mishmash of full size planets, Outer Wilds style miniplanets, and floating space-islands all in impossibly close proximity to each other surrounded by seas of nebulas and asteroid reefs.

Putting aside that I still haven't figured out how day/night will work...

Question is, how the FUCK do I make a map of this to show my players?
>>
>>67200127
If you're going fully unrealistic you have the benefit of telling orbits to fuck off when you don't need them. That let's you essentially lay out your map as a old style sea chart but with planets instead of islands.

If you go with a 'space is mostly 2d' option for laying out your galaxy you're sorted.

If you go full 3d, I'd suggest making maps of common trade routes between the main planets instead of a full galaxy map.
>>
File: 1518594733786.jpg (4.64 MB, 3199x3199)
4.64 MB
4.64 MB JPG
>>
I asked this in another thread but got no reply.
If WotC's Tieflings are part of Open Gaming License does this include their house names and stories associated with them from the Dragon magazine? Having tieflings in your world seems to be fine under OGL but does that cover if I wanted to use some of those house names from their collapsed empire?
If not then how do those authors who use DnD lore get away with writing their books?
>>
games stats are different than lore.
>>
File: 1530806793746.jpg (4.29 MB, 2021x1550)
4.29 MB
4.29 MB JPG
>>
>>67202588
OGL specifically covers the SRD, which is almost entirely mechanics. Presumably books written in the D&D universe are licensed products and WotC takes their cut.
>>
File: 1539287202233.jpg (328 KB, 1500x1098)
328 KB
328 KB JPG
What's a plausible explanation for larger humans? I want a tiny corner of my setting to have humans a foot taller than average, but magic is out of the question.
>>
>>67205036
A biome with lots of tall grass fields, sneaky predators, megafauna game (elephants and megalotherium are cool), and a few thousand years of natural selection.
>>
>>67205036
The government of the region provides financial and other incentives for taller people breeding with each other, and shorter people not breeding, and this has been the case for hundreds of years.

Why? You can probably think of something.
>>
Looking for world building advice.

So in my setting there’s a demiurgic transfer of power from the monad/godhead “first light” deity to the god(s) of matter when the universe is first created. I’m sorta stumped on whether I want the god of matter and preservation to be a proper pseudo-christian gnostic demiurge, or have something more akin to Tolkien’s valar.
I think preferably I’d like both.

>>67205036
Only a foot taller?
You don’t even need to explain that, we already have dutch people and black people irl.
Normal run of the mill genetic drift/genetic bottleneck/selection pressures would explain it fine desu.
>>
File: 1535994475749.jpg (83 KB, 564x913)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>67205100
>>67205136
Forgot to mention that their home is basically a tundra, cold as hell, with inhabitants roaming the lands for game and without a central government, just tribes.
>>67205276
A foot, maybe two. Both sexes are noticeably taller but not giants.
>>
>>67204648
thanks guess I'll rename them all
what are some good fiendish-sounding/german-sounding surnames?
>>
>>67205609
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_demons_in_the_Ars_Goetia
>>
>>67198218
Retarded why? The bible is full of rules, the commandments, what you should eat drink, when, how to not cook it, keeping the sabbath. The Jewish tradition based on the old testament is that there are 613 commandments.

Just look at this https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of_actions_prohibited_by_the_Bible

Religion has always been a method of telling you how to live your life, from parenting to speaking in church. And that's just Christian old testament, the Quran is even more so.

So again, how is it retarded?
>>
>>67205446
That's harder. Makes the tall flora less of an option, and lankiness is a bad trait to have when it gets cold as fuck.
That said, if they regularly need to do things that require being big and brawny, and culturally prefer such partners, it wouldn't take long to get a foot over average and a little sturdier of a build. Just make it a culture where looking like you can hold your liquor or hold your own in a fight tends to attract attention from the opposite sex.
>>
>>67205730
Mostly because you can't have new towns or build shelters outside of towns which makes it impossible for the population to ever expand past a certain point. It's incredibly maladaptive.
>>
>>67205276
that's both really cool and fucking disgusting
>>
>>67205446
This could probably help a lot:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_gigantism#Possible_causes
>>
>>67205815
Manlets need not apply.

>>67205036
>be 6'0"
>move to denver
>constantly running into people 6'3" and bigger
>feels manlet

I don't have an explain for why denver is like this either but like others said, you don't need to justify 12"
>>
File: 1551630645558.jpg (34 KB, 564x699)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>67205815
Even though there might be no tall flora, could fauna still be big? It's a large expanse, maybe it would explain the need for bigger, stronger hunters. They effectively move between two homes in summer or winter, following the migration of animals. They sometimes run into other tribes, war, trade or assimilate with them.
>>67205865
Great shit, anon, thanks.
>>67205867
More like 7 or 8 feet, but thanks nonetheless.
>>
>>67205730
Religion starts as people trying to figure out why the world is the way it is, and when an explanation seems to hold water, people attach to that superstition. Many of the rules related to what you can't eat in Leviticus, for example, apply to things that often made ancient people sick. Also as the other anon pointed out, some of the rules are unreasonably maladaptive. The Old Testament has maladaptive rules, but had to get the theological equivalent of a retcon before a highly functional society could even live by it. Some of your rules seem like they would have caused a schism to interpret it differently and then easily win a schism war.
>>
How would society and civilization form and develop on a space ship the size of a star?
>>
>>67206071
That has a vast range of possibilities depending on how you go about it.
>>
>>67206004
>Some of your rules
I mean I pulled those out of my ass while phone posting, and shit like crop rotation is as valuable as don't mix dairy and meat in terms of rules turned into religious laws for the good of the flock. I tried to focus on rules relevant to my setting but like I said im not trying to write a bible, just come up with some examples of the type of controlling (and yes maladaptive, thank you for that) state religion.

Also minor quibble but highly functioning society loved by those rules just fine before jesus and traditional Jews and amish are just two examples of people who continue to live by "maladaptive" rules.

Another random example is the mormon church proscribing underwear. I just don't get the comments of religion isn't laws or that's retarded without any specific issue being raised.
>>
>>67206071
>>67206090
For example how big is the star because the sun can fit over a million earths so that's a lot of land mass for culture to develop even if it would be really fucking hot.
>>
>>67206180
>>67206090
Well the spaceship is the same size of our own sun and the idea of the setting is this:
>A massive super advance ship the size of the sun that is able travel space and time and to other universes know as the Last Ark, it is called that because it contains mostly civilizations that lost their worlds to a sapient universe know as the devourer that is consuming all of reality.
>no matter where and when the Last Ark goes the Devourer and it's followers always finds the ship for there is no escape.
>It is believe by most of the new religions of the passengers on the Last Ark is that the great ship was created and piloted by God himself, but no one really knows were the ship came from or who really built it.
>The ship is normally protected by drones, turrets and automatic warships armed with the most advance weapons ever seen but even those are no mach for the impossibly large and powerful abominations that appears in areas of space and time that is infested by the Devourer's reality warping influence.
>The passengers normally finds themselves fighting the creatures the get into the Last Ark and maintain their section of the ship
>When the Last Ark finds a civilization it teleports the cities of that civilization into an empty but massive cargo hold located in a random place on the ship.
>there is at least 25 civilizations or races on board the Last Ark including humanity that all have contact with each other.
>>
>>67206153
I think it just looks like fedora tipping angst because it's not fleshed out yet, and other anons only saw that aspect of it. As it's given a little bit of nuance and made a bit more clear how and why it came to dominate, it'll be received much better.
>>
>>67205999
Yeah, definitely.
Hunting megas in the winter, then herding some sort of grazing beast in the spring and summer when it produces milk. Could take some inspiration from Mongolian nomads, but with a greater emphasis on hunting, due to the big beasties in the area.
>>
>>67205036
>>67205865

google this big fella.

>>67137298
>>
>>67205999
DOGGY
>>
>>67205829
Nailed it. And there are bad things that go bump in the night nipping at the population. When it really gets out of hand the river floods and ruins all the crop lands, people starve back into acceptable parameters and life goes on according to plan. Only 40 years ago something upset that plan and way too many people were killed, because the only way for the religious leaders to keep their power was to ensure nothing ever changed and the massacred group was about to ruin everything, even if that was originally also part of the plan.

Damn, I wish my players were half so astute.
>>
File: PlayerMap.jpg (1.36 MB, 4098x1875)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB JPG
>>67164675
Continuing to work on new campaign setting, settled on a final map. This is the player's version.
>>
>>67209739
I really like this map.

I have 2 suggestions. a scale and change or remove the volcano symbols.

Red spots with names would be cool.

Mt Kegger

Mt Blowhard
>>
File: 1518835115436.jpg (701 KB, 1891x991)
701 KB
701 KB JPG
What's an appropriately far-off date to set a scifi campaign, assuming some vague notions of reality are retained alongside a half-dozen explored/habitable systems, wormhole-based FTL, and the existence of psionics?
>>
>>67212045
~2600-2900 Would be pretty good in my opinion for a fairly hard sci-fi campaign with what you listed.
>>
>>67212238
>fairly hard sci-fi
Even with what I listed? Neat. Alright, so ballparking ~1,000 in the future wouldn't be totally crazy.
>>
File: 1560553511079.jpg (133 KB, 1000x565)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
Does your setting have a calamity, a ruin, a cataclysmic event that tore the lands?
>>
File: 1518830040435.jpg (84 KB, 1227x650)
84 KB
84 KB JPG
Bump
>>
>>67206231
Can't find the specific image but the one image of the huge star wars ship made by the Empire that has a story told from the point of a status report of this huge ship where the engineers in the engine room declare their own nation and the like
That might be a good place to start, basically if the ship is so big that entire countries can form in only a few parts of the ship
>>
File: e2qDGVs.png (156 KB, 2240x1178)
156 KB
156 KB PNG
>>67213803
Here ya go.
>>
>>67213837
Thanks anon, always liked this one
>>
Anyone know some good resources on training onesself to build up a repertoire of voices one can do for games? I once had a DM who could do a wide variety of voices--I'm supposing his career as an actor in the local theater helped a lot on that account--but I found that it really helped to get into the story and the characters he wrote. My turn to DM is coming around sometime soon, and I'd like to be able to pursue some mastery of... I suppose it could be called "voice acting," for it?
>>
>>67214837
On short notice best you can do is find people whose voices you like and try to imitate, with a variety in range. Maybe some voice acting tutorials, though I don't know how helpful those might be. Regardless, maybe see if your area has a theater scene that welcomes newcomers? Could find a new hobby there.
>>
>>67212303
Sounds good. 600-1,000 years into the future should make sense to start using FTL methods and psionics.
>>
>>67210829
Thanks for pointing out the lack of a scale, I had somehow noticed that. Adding one is going to be a pain the ass, might have to redo the whole thing.

I like the idea of giving the volcanos names, but they'd have to be Calabrian ("Italian") names, since Trimze is a Calabrian colony.

Monte Fumonero and Monte Arrabbiato?

("Black Smoke Mountain" and "Angry Mountain")
>>
>>67215744
>one is going to be a pain the ass
How far is it from A to B? Translate days of walking to miles if necessary. Measure and that's your scale. You can start with any it takes X to Y from/across A to B, measure, divide and there's your scale. It's the second easiest part of map making. The first being picking what color to make the ocean.
>>
>>67206231
>the same size of our own sun
I really don't think you understand how big that is. IIRC even Ringworld wasn't that big and it was intentionally colossal on an unheard of scale.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (167 KB, 1280x720)
167 KB
167 KB JPG
Many religions feature a deity and a direct counterpart or two opposing themes. Can such opposite be the lack of it? For example, a culture that worships fire, would it make sense for the opposite be "lack of light"?
>>
>>67216834
Well if you look at the green text you would see that the Ship is meant to carry and save civilizations from across the entire multiverse so it kind of have to be ridiculously big. The 25 races are just the once mankind know of, there maybe thousands of races on board.
>>
>>67206071
The important part is not "size of a star" but "space ship".
Does it containt transplanted natural environments with bedrock and all?
Pseudonatural environments soil layers and big rocks placed on metal decking?
Artificial environments with furniture and nutrient dispensers?
Are people on board able to control ship systems? Which ones?
>>
File: 1462634475967.jpg (207 KB, 779x1200)
207 KB
207 KB JPG
>>67212045
>>67213770
>>67215267
Bumping. So I was recently inspired by a friend gifting me a game called EYE: Divine Cybermancy. From all I've seen and heard, it's basically a 40k ripoff, but a neat one. Now, I don't want to do the same thing, but I'm definitely thinking on some similar wavelengths.

It is 1,000 years in the future. Mankind stretched out into the stars, and found them a little wanting. Outside of a nameless precursor race that left their shit lying around, we seem to be the first or second race in the galaxy/local-star cluster to have reached the spacefaring age. And so, with the founding of the First Interstellar Republic (name pending) humanity began to conquer the stars. At present, there are seven inhabited star systems filled with terraformed worlds (the Seven Suns of Sol), united loosely into an interstellar empire. But there are many, many empty, lifeless systems to exploit.

The Republic is a democracy in name only. In truth, the Directory and the Parliament run human civilization behind closed doors and with all the technological tricks in that trade. Megacorps truly run the show, vying for control over government agencies like the GATE Authority, or the Union of Spacing Regulation.

Humanity has evolved to deal with this life. While most humans are pure, and unaltered save for minor genetic augmentation meant to eliminate disease and disfigurement, with full-on Cyborgs and mutants being considered second-class citizens and deviants outside of a few sanctuary worlds and stations where they can serve with distinction. The only ones below these in the social totem pole are the Uroms, an uplifted species humans treat like pets, slaves, and the only alternative to Machines. 1/2
>>
File: 1420345853481.jpg (74 KB, 1412x607)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
>>67218631
Yeah. The Machines betrayed us. Who saw that coming. While the majority of our robotic AI rebelled, most of the Digital Intelligences (Siri 9000) remained loyal, as did a small number of Machines who saw the potential to gain freedom through service. These and newer Machines are tightly regulated, Shackled to a set of rules we really, really should have come up with earlier. The Rogue Machines still lurk out there in the black, plotting our demise.

We did find some aliens out there though. Many are only as intelligent as animals, but a few have created civilizations of their own. There are the Shuggaliks, a strange sort of insect-mollusk species we uplifted from the Iron Age and made into clients to fight on our behalf. There are the Rilen, a race of avian-saurians who stole our technology and became notorious bandits and pirates (our first contact went poorly). And finally, the Swarm, a race of hominids who seem to hunger for resources and flesh, who were the only species we found that was spacefaring like us. We’ve been at war with most of these for the better part of two centuries.

One final note tonight. Over time, the science of Psionics bore fruit in this new future. The power of the Mind became a new and glorious frontier. That is, until we discovered the Psyche. A realm of dreams, nightmares, thought, and those things best left forgotten. Perhaps spurred on by our own exploration, demonic beings have manifested in Psyche, and have begun to bleed into the waking world of our material space. Psions and regions of deep emotional turmoil appear to allow them easy entrance to our reality in addition to the occasional space-anomaly. They can strike us anywhere, at any time. There is a reason the Psi-Corps exists and why its iron grip is so tolerated. Any threat to reality must be met with extreme force. 2/3
>>
File: seven suns mollusk.png (220 KB, 380x610)
220 KB
220 KB PNG
>>67218711
Before I shut up for the night, tech. I want this setting to feel like a slightly fantastical future, but I like to ground what I can. So, drone and digital assistant technology should be rampant. Currency is measured in purely made up “Bits”, which act as digital currency. Though while travel is FTL, communication isn’t. So the local servers for every star system can only update their records and information while a wormhole (main FTL method, remember?) is active nearby enough for slower-than-light-but-still-fucking-fast internet speeds to hook up and make the transfer. This effects currency, so people still carry “Hard” currency in the form of small portable drives with cash loaded onto it.

For war-technology, drones have been slightly sidelined to avoid another Machine Rebellion, so some traditional warfare still exists. It’s just backed-up by cyberwarfare and long-distance pissing matches. Ships can go up to 10% of c, but it takes a load of power and its done Star Trek style by removing mass, so collisions in space aren’t as devastating as one would think. Ships rely on basic Digital Intelligences to translate data from light-speed scanners and make course-corrections to avoid enemy fire. Most weapons are mass drivers, with lasers serving as a flak and long-distance “tagging” weapon. Missiles have replaced starfighters, and typically feature a few guns on them before their antimatter payloads render several light-seconds of space irradiated.

Cybernetics exist and can hit Ghost in the Shell tier, but are ostracized. Same with gene-modding. It exists, but people think you’re a furry or weird deviant. Medical tech would be stellar (ha!).

I’m going to sleep now. What do I need to elaborate on? What’s the next thing to consider? Anyone got some fun sci-fi ideas they wanna lay on me?
>>
>>67113633
Kinda. Prophecy functions like Goodkind novels in that it’s like an ‘if a, then b; else c’ deal.
Technically anything can be prophecied but people only care about the big things
Divination exists, but magic in general is under brain drain and lost most of its practicioners. A lot of sham diviners have popped up because it’s one of the fields of magic where you can’t immediately verify whether or not they’re full of shit.
Yes. What you pull is only as useful as the questions you ask. Stupid questions get stupid answers.
Hard Mode:
Become a good magician; and somewhere in between. Certain prophecies are dangerous because their doscovery can attract the wrong kind of attention.
Yes. No self respecting ruler goes without a skilled diviner on their payroll
Yes. All futures are conditional on action (or inaction).
Once ubiquitous, but magic brain drain’s meant there’s a huge demand for people to learn the skills and quickly.
Dante Must Die:
The setting is post apocalyptic. Round two is coming.
>>
>>67215213
There are audio books on speaking in accents. they can be very helpful.

Otherwise, imitate people you are familiar with.
your foreign friend's parents, or John Cleese or even a comedian's version of someone doing Steve Irwin.

>>67215744
You're welcome.
The names sound good, mine were joke names. The triangles look weird, hand drawn volcanoes or just spots is better.
The scale should be simple to add.
>>
File: 1529775744123.png (2.13 MB, 1600x1587)
2.13 MB
2.13 MB PNG
>>67217073
>>67218504

Earth is about 8000 miles in diameter and has about 57 million sq miles of land.

Imagine a cylinder 8000 miles in diameter and 8000 miles tall. Put decks in it 1 mile apart.

each deck has about 50 million square miles

400 billion square miles

~8000 Earths is big enough for a lot of people.
>>
>>67205730
>Retarded why?
I might be somewhat late to the party but let's go through them:
>you may not plant more than a quarter acre as a personal garden
What is the reason behind this and what qualifies as a personal garden?
>traditional marriage is between a gene donor and carrier no other configuration is acceptable
Perfectly reasonable religious rule.
>may not climb higher than 3 man heights
This basically ruins the chances of civilisation unless the society has plenty of access to more or less willing unbelievers who can carry out the multitude workloads, such as miners and builders that require breaking this rule.
Besides, how do you measure it? Is it relative to the individual in question, some designated marker such as sea-level or something else entirely?
>tithes of food and material shall go to the church,
Perfectly reasonable religious rule.
>no permanent shelter shall be build outside the boundaries of a town, towns may not be founded anew
Utterly retarded, especially in combination since, without some letter-of-the-law shenanigans, it inevitable will lead to a downward spiral that ends in complete societal collapse as old towns seize to be without being replaced.
>all trade must be conducted in Capital
Why?
What qualifies as a trade?
Again, without a fuckload of letter-of-the-law shenanigans this will doom any civilisation that tries to follow it since trade, widely defined, is a fundamental part of society. I would even argue that it is the purpose of it since a society is all about becoming better off as an individual by exhanging services and/or products with others.
>no more than 11 units of ore may be extracted
Per individual and/or per session?
>crops shall be rotated in such and such, no field may be fallow for more than one season,
I could see religious reasons for this.
>water may not be diverted or stored
Utterly retarded since it dooms any chance of establishing or maintaining civilisation.
>>
>>67221216
>retarded
Unless the goal is specifically to maintain and foster tiny scale, self-sufficient agrarian communities even the Amish would deride as being locked technological stasis.
>>
>>67218504
>>67219842
When the Spaceship or Ark gets near a world of a sapient race it teleports every major city and town on that world to one of it’s sanctuaries sections that would be created for that races so it Mostly natural, though most of the environmental systems are failing do to age and the ship has damage sustained. The ship is powered by what can only be described as a perpetual energy reactor working with principles beyond the understanding of it’s passengers and energy to matter conversion and replicators are pretty common, While the ship is fully automatic and it’s technology is super advanced compare to the races that are on board, So far the humans on board have figured out how to override and take control of the some weapon systems and restart the repair drone on their section of the ship. The races on board also have to deal with the eldritch abominations that managed to get on board or dangers that result for system failures.
>>
>>67222316
So somewhat natural environment but also accessoble tech. You need to decide whether inhabitants grow/make their stuff or pick it up from replicators. If both then how it is split. This will give you economy and some guidance to possible social structures.
Is there an internal transportation network? If not, how do people get around? This will lead to levels of centralization, social or trade contacts and possible regions/realms.
>>
>>67221346
I'd go even further and say that society at all would be impossible if people followed those rules.
Hell, you could even argue that living would be impossible.
Hence why I think they are retarded.
>>
>>67216975
I guess so, but when you worship fire in opposition to lack of light are you worshiping the fire itself or the light the fire gives off?
>>
>>67222522
People mostly make grow or make there stuff because most of the replicators are AI controlled only make robot drones (both worker and combat) replacement parts for the ship or automatic escort warships, however there are replicators that make ores and minerals though those ones are very rare so who ever controls those ones would be very powerful. Also the tech levels of each of the know races when they were brought on board varied massively, humanity was taken aboard during the modern era, one race was taken a during their medieval era, one race had a galaxy spanning empire and another race out right has has magic instead of tech. There is a internal transportation network of shafts, elevators, and teleporters that are mostly used by the robot drones that Are also home to the dangerous creatures and abominations that manage to get in and the internal structure of some places of the ship are non-euclidean so exploration of the ship can be dangerous.
>>
>>67222522
>>67223321
Also how likely would a religion that worships the ship/ark appear? I also think a city getting teleported onto a alien ship would case riots.
>>
File: 1395979152395.jpg (174 KB, 1200x633)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>67218631
>>67218711
>>67218757
Bump for today.
>>
File: PlayerMap.jpg (237 KB, 1500x687)
237 KB
237 KB JPG
I kept the triangles because triangles say "mountain," and a dot could be confused for a town, but I made them smaller and black.

Had to rebuild the map from the ground up to add a scale, so I moved the compass rose as well.
>>
File: Archipelago-color.jpg (578 KB, 3000x1373)
578 KB
578 KB JPG
And here's the color version, which is a bit easier to read and makes it clearer which colony belong to which power (blues are Calabrians, oranges are Altrasians).
>>
>>67225054
Pretty!
>>
File: Tamriel.jpg (561 KB, 1800x1100)
561 KB
561 KB JPG
Post more maps.
>>
File: 1551623168079.png (103 KB, 325x319)
103 KB
103 KB PNG
Last bump
>>
Are next thread's questions prepped?
Didn't someone want something about superstitions and not-necessarilly-true religions?
>>
>>67228937
i wanted religion themed questions but not about institutions, rather about pantheons, gods themselves, forms of worship n shiet like that
>>
>>67224960
>>67225054
How did you make those maps?
>>
>>67226713
Do those appearances of Yokuda and Pyandonea appear in any canon material? Cuz I know that Elder Kings mod uses this map
>>
>>67229069
>>67228937
I had wanted general religion questions as they pertain to culture, but not a bunch of questions that only apply if the supposed gods are real and understood.
>>
>>67229268
A combination of Azgarr's Fantasy Map Generator (which is very powerful, but poorly documented) and some post-work in The GIMP.

https://azgaar.github.io/Fantasy-Map-Generator/
>>
>>67225054
This is now a magnificent map.

Thank you.
>>
>>67230156
This is fucking sick, thank you.
>>
>>67223321
Perhaps this is more easily explained as a 'Rolling Pocket Dimension'.

It acquires civilizations that are in peril because it is the Red Cross Miniverse.

Maybe it randomly wanders and scoops up cities like a Zoomba.

Youtube has taught me that when a Zoomba finds a dog turd, it tries to phone home and write a S.O.S.
>>
>>67231194
It solves the absurd size problem and the tech questions and 'How many billion Scruffybots are on board?' questions.
>>
File: 4595584_orig.png (490 KB, 590x410)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>67230328

Campaign and Worldbuilders take note:

I wish I could come up with this level of magnificent nonsense.

Totally random pic to prove my innocence.
>>
File: ozmarsmap.jpg (3.06 MB, 5100x3300)
3.06 MB
3.06 MB JPG
>>
>>67231814
Assuming an Earthlike atmosphere was already in place, how long would it take for significant greenery to spring up on Mars? Would things like lichens have to grow before plants could, or is Martian soil arable?
>>
Is it cheesy to have a culture/people that have a strong tradition of militia/self defence? Everyone of a certain age in a town/village is expected to contribute to the defense of their town/village.

They're exiles colonizing a "new" (to them) world. I wanted to give it a sort of early American colonial vibe (without gunpowder tho) but I truly have no idea how the militia situation was there.
>>
>>67231194
>It acquires civilizations that are in peril because it is the Red Cross Miniverse.
That's what the spaceship (also know as ether the last ark or final ark) is actually doing, the threat is a sapient eldritch universe that is consuming the multiverse and spawns weaker eldritch abominations that does it's bidding, and no matter were the Ark goes this threat always manages to find it. The Ark is meant to be a safe heaven from this being.
>Maybe it randomly wanders and scoops up cities like a Zoomba.
Well it is not picky about which civilizations it saves as well.
>>
>>67232370
Is it cheesy to be Finnish? Because you just described the Finns, as the Russians discovered in WW2.
>>
>>67232370
>Is it cheesy to have a culture/people that have a strong tradition of militia/self defence? Everyone of a certain age in a town/village is expected to contribute to the defense of their town/village.
That's basically every low societal tribe ever.
>>
>>67233511
>Is it cheesy to be Finnish?
Yes, yes it is.
>>
>>67232019
Assuming it would still be very arid. but vegetation is being introduced, maybe a decade. Faster if massive amounts of water were reintroduced.

Kind of guessing here because most terraforming probably takes centuries.
>>
File: hewaldry.png (353 KB, 610x684)
353 KB
353 KB PNG
>>67231070
Lots of links, maybe some new ones.
>>
Page 10 bump. Someone make the next thread.
>>
>>67239669
make it about love, romance and sex
>>
>>67240031
Done
>>67240597
>>67240597
>>67240597
>>67240597

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.