[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: A tad excessive.jpg (32 KB, 324x480)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
Villains and their lackeys Edition

Welcome to /wbg/, the official thread for the discussion of in-progress settings for traditional games.

Here is where you go to flesh out the details of your worlds such as lore, factions, magic and ecosystems. You can also post maps for your settings, as well as any relevant art (either created by you or used as inspiration for your work).

Official Discord: https://discord.gg/yrp9saR

Resources for Newfags: https://sites.google.com/view/wbgeneral/

Previous Thread: >>66646342

Thread questions:
>how common are villains and rogues in your setting?
>is there something in particular that brings people to evil? A common cause for their change of heart?
>what are the most common aims? How ambitious can a bad guy be?
Hard Mode:
>who's the single most powerful villain in your setting's history?
>has a villain ever achieved all of their aims? What happened next?
>what's the most heinous goal that someone tried to reach?
>what about the most noble? If it was truly a good goal, why were they considered evil?
>what sort of people do they employ? How are do they treat their lackeys?
>where do they get their assets from? Who do they deal with to get their resources?
>how do they equip their minions?
Dante Must Die:
>are some of the bad guys right?
>>
A not very well liked civilization are the Aeternians. The Aeternians are a fascist people who staunchly fight against interbreeding and keep it from happening in their borders by using extensive and fairly invasive monitoring. They don't allow genetic/physical modification/cyberization that's too extensive. They either banish or execute crossbreeders, and will execute transhumanists on sight if they're near their borders. The Aeternians do this out of fear that if people just go fuckwild and modify themselves too extensively, they'll burn themselves out and kill the species. They're not wrong and it's happened before, so the Aeternians make sure there're extensive breeding populations.

Part of the good of their conservation efforts is on many worlds that they colonize they try to keep it largely the same as they found it. More likely than not, in the future they're going to leave so they live in dome complexes or in orbit so they're sealed from the world itself unless they really need something outside.
>>
>>66714246
The Horrors
Nine mindless, formless abominations that attacked the gods moments after the beginning of time. The gods themselves didn't know where they came from, and were nearly destroyed but for a stroke of luck.
A tenth Horror came into being whose hunger for destruction drove it to consume the other nine Horrors so that it could feast on reality for eternity with no competition and no interruptions.
Fortunately for the cosmos, the tenth Horror couldn't stomach the other nine, and once it finished consuming them it sunk through the bottom of Creation, opening a rift through reality into the screaming Void beyond, where its infinite corpse festers and rots until the end of time.
Parasites from the void descended on the last Horror's body and eventually came to infest the rift in the bottom of reality. Thus the Abyss was born
>>
File: joseph-pegg-vampknight2.jpg (318 KB, 1920x1915)
318 KB
318 KB JPG
>>66714246
There are countless Beastman warlords, Dwarven slavers and Vampire lords just outside the Empire.
>is there something in particular that brings people to evil? A common cause for their change of heart?
Many of the people who discover that the gods have been dead for millennia go join the retinue of a Vampire lord as an act fo rebellion
Some, like the Beastmen or the Dwarves, just want to kill and enslave everything in their path. The vampires, however, are somewhat different, they know that the Empire is built on a lie and want to destroy in order to bring forth a new order.
Currently, that would be Katrina, the Queen of Blood, who has united all of the Vampire Lords under her banner and launched the third Blood Crusade.
Kastrof is the one who came the closest to destroying the Empire once and for all during the first Blood Crusade. He had taken the Imperial palace and slaughtered all the Imperial guards, but couldn't bring himself to kill his brother and killed himself instead.
Arazar, a beastman warlord had attempred to slaughter the population of an entire continent.
>what about the most noble? If it was truly a good goal, why were they considered evil?
Kastrof might be considered the most noble one as he wanted to destroy the Empire, but not its people. He's considered evil for obvious propaganda reasons.
Beastmen and Dwarves are very similar in the fact that they only employ their own people and kill and enslave everyone isn't them. Vampires employ countless mortal servants to serve as infiltrators and shock troops and they usually treat them with a modicum of respect.
>>
>>66714246

Incredibly. Civilisation has collapsed almost entirely, and the nature and abundance of its remnants means it's easy for unscrupulous people to gain a measure of power.

The accessibility of it. Those remnants are universally powered by sacrifice or at least blood magic, and a significant part is parasitic in nature. Once you get going, it's very hard to stop and survive.

The most common is to just raid and pillage what little there is left. The most ambitious, and impossible due to how depopulated the world is, is to enact sacrifice on such a massive scale as to reawaken and control all, or most, of the old technologies.

>Hard Mode:
The Outworlders, alien invaders from beyond the rim of the world. Little is known about them, but they caused 99% of the world's population to die on the altars of the serpent-men just so they could fire their surface-to-space defences with sufficient power to repel the assault. What became of them after, nobody knows, but they may yet return.

Numerous times. Usually it leads to a formation of small, ultimately unustainable empires, whether based on sorcery or the sword. Other times the villain will gather their men, slaves, and supplies, and walk into one of the Cities of Bone, never to emerge.
>>
File: The_Knight_of_Cerebus.jpg (174 KB, 1230x900)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
>>66714734
>where do they get their assets from? Who do they deal with to get their resources?
Beastmen just take what they need with brute force. The Dwarves have their slaves that they work to death in order to make whatever they need. The Vampire Lords are the ones who are the closest to a functional society, with the only difference being that they see all their mortal subjects as meals.
A Beastman Warlord will equip his warband with whatever weapons he comes across. Dwarves have their traditonal heavy armors, manifactured and maintained by their slaves. Vampire Lords will equip their mortal servants with regular weapons and armors and their subjugated Vampires with armor suits that protect them completely from the sun.
The Vampires are right in saying that the gods have dead for countless years, but maybe trying to cover the world in eternal night might not be the right solution.
>>
>>66714246
The most fun villains are over the top crazy.

The best villains are rational geniuses who have compelling reasons as to why X is necessary for the situation.

Their goals may or may not be Evil, but they interfere with the players goals.
>>
>>66714888
The last elven king attempted to gain control, power, and turn one of the surface-to-space emplacements upon Thrax, the Last City of Man. He has succeeded in the first two, but the weapon lacked power, and 'only' sheared off a district and part of the city's foundations. The attempt cost the king his life and that of every one of his followers.

Three or four generations back one of the wannabe sorcerer-kings attempted to genocide all of tritonkind. He's considered evil because he failed while inflicting significant collateral damage.

It varies, but ultimately most henchmen find their end in a serpent-man machine or on an altar. Most know this, but times are desperate and maybe if they kill their master they can be the one locking people into cursed armour to fight for them.

Predominantly in the Cities of Bone, named so due to serpent-man architecture being based on living flesh encased in ceramic plating for protection. Now most of the buildings are dead or dying, and the cities, built for creatures far larger than a man in the first place, look like boneyards stretching into infinity. They are full of monsters that may be dominated, scavenger tribes, and old machines. Many villains begin as adventurers that venture into one such city and find a weapon or a machine that needs to be fed to function.

By trading their loot away to the tritons, other warlords, or the merchants of Thrax. The more reckless ones give their minions banes: weapons and armour made for slave troops in ages past. These are mighty, but powered by the blood and soul of the user.
>>
>>66715144
Yes, absolutely. Mankind will be extinct within a few generations if it continues to dwindle away in the ruins of a single fortified city, and the only way out is the old magic. For obvious reasons this does not go down well with people whose species was nearly extinguished to facilitate the use of said magic.
>>
>>66715014
The best villains are the ones who can challenge the hero's worldview
>>
>>66715287
How do we get the hero a world view?
>>
>>66715437
By writing it?
>>
>>66715474
In /tg/, the writer isn't the hero.
>>
>>66715521
Doesn't mean that the hero can't have his opnion about things.
>>
File: Instant pilot juice.jpg (668 KB, 1280x1280)
668 KB
668 KB JPG
>>66715437
With aircraft
>>
File: Yveltal Emblem.png (40 KB, 170x170)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>66673586
>>66714246
Well, in addition to the villains that exist in the current era that my players exist in, there are also a number of villains that my players are learning about that existed in the past. Some of whom they have met already, and some of whom they might get to encounter later. The rest are all dead because yeah. Some baddies from the past are:
>Xande, and evil sorcerer who tried using the life-force-stealing powers of Yveltal to siphon the powers of one of the children of Arceus. His son Julius betrayed him and he died.
>Julius became the final boss of that whole spiel when he realized instead of borrowing Yveltal's power to steal from one person, he could take Yveltal's power for himself and absorb EVERYONE's life force. He merged with Yveltal, and after a long battle his consciousness was sealed away on the moon.
>Morgana La Vaes: Was one of Xande's unwilling followers, and also was a fey. She was turned into a Larvesta for many centuries after Julius and Xande's conquest failed. One of my players has a Larvesta in their team.
>And then there's Maria the loli witch my players already met.
There's evildoers on both sides of the Law-Chaos spectrum though, but most of them are driven to act on their evil nature either by the power of Arceus and her children, or by the Profound Darkness.

The desire to become a god/immortal, the petty desire to just be better than everyone else, and in Morgana's case, doing evil because of the circumstances she found herself in.
While Julius would try to absorb all life on earth to become all-powerful, the Profound Darkness would seek to swallow all light in the entire universe, basically returning the world to the void it once was.
>>
>>66715570
The villian's thoughts should reflect the thoughts of the hero.

Most players have characters without thoughts.

What do you do about that?]

I'm stuck sprinkling out a dozen possible villains or heroes, which the "MCs" decide to either agree or disagree with.
>>
>>66715707
>Most players have characters without thoughts.
that's their problem
>>
>>66714477
Speaking of actually, there any advice anons can give me on making said fascist government?
>>
File: .jpg (332 KB, 1280x1810)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>>66715645
>>66714246

The Profound Darkness. I based my Profound Darkness off of the actual Profound Darkness from Phantasy Star, so to match, it's basically an eldritch abomination from the depths of outer space that can spawn smaller lifeforms that in turn can infect, possess and control humans and pokemon alike, increasing their combat ability while doing so.

Darkrai. He just hates humans and likes to trick them into acting out against each other by feeding them nightmares of the things they fear most. Darkrai is actually the reason for the fact that the twin brothers a really long time ago bickered over the throne and started a war that separated the Forgotten Kingdom into two, irreparably splitting the brothers, their people, and the Dragon of Light that was supposed to watch over the Forgotten Kingdom down the middle. Darkrai caused the setting's equivalent of the War of the Roses. Or World War I, whichever makes sense to you.

Julius and Xande recruited a bunch of sorcerers to help them reawaken Yveltal so that they could use him to siphon away the powers imbued within Arceus's great-granddaughter, and take her powers for their own in a bid to become gods. In order to do that, they performed terrible experiments and ran test runs for this energy siphoning plan on innocent people.
I'm not good at writing Tales-of-style noble villains. I wish I was though. The best I could say is Morgana La Vaes. She was a fey who was made by Julius to assist in their plan on the threat of her fey comrades being destroyed. So she became a traitor to huamsn and the fey in order to protect them the best she could.
>>
File: telmast2_colored&shaded.png (224 KB, 2009x1386)
224 KB
224 KB PNG
I want to run a Warframe-style campaign, except without warframes. Basically the players would be teenagers with special powers they gain from ki or nanotechnology or something, and fight an evil invading space fleet, going on special missions to sabotage their ships and what-not. Like Warframe but if the operators were the ones attacking. They could maybe get armor and such. I'm planning to use a power points system from Savage Worlds to do it (so not actual supers from that system).

Anyway, I am having a hard time thinking of how to fit supers-kids into a setting kind of like Halo before the Covenant attacked, except confined to one solar system. I have this idea they are being kept in a govt facility where they are being studied, but that won't explain where they got weapons training and how they learned their powers. My other thought was a monastery planet where they learned "the way" or some eastern inner power thing. Then their planet gets attacked. I also considered them being at an alternative school on some planet (I was figuring these would be troubled youths who used stuff like invsiiblity powers and got into trouble). But I don't know which premise is best.

The enemy faction is going well. I am having a hard time thinking of a good way to differentiate them from Warframe. One thought I had was they are slave takers and inject stuff into peoples' necks to make them compliant. So they wouldn't see the "real" Telmast (which might be aliens or elder-brain type creatures), only the humans they hijacked as soldiers. Plus that'd be a fucked reveal when the players infiltrated some lab and figured it out. But I don't know if bringing aliens into it is a good idea. I'm also not sure what the "explanation" for their powers should be. They already play Project Biomodus which uses the nanotech excuse so if I use that they'll think it's too predictable.
>>
>>66715835
People are afraid of things they don't understand.

Most states like this select a leader based upon how average he is, how much he is like everyone else, how he's not very smart or bright or special, he's just a "Man's man" or "Average Joe."

The problem is leaders are rich and powerful, so now the leader has to make his rich self seem more relatable.

So what he does, is make the rest of the world more unrelatable.
>>
>>66715920
What if you something in Ender's game, where they're special, but think they're just kids playing or practicing to be average soldiers?
>>
>>66715865
>Dante Must Die
If I count one particular NPC as a villain, they would probably be in the right for their actions.
Kyogre.
Kyogre used to be the guardian of the seas whom a race of mermaids worshiped. But the wars that came about after the kingdom split brought death to a lot of the mermaids and pokemon who lived in the seas, due to the warships waging their naval battles in her oceans. More than that, all the Manaphy that lived in the seas died because of it. She eventually plummeted the ships into the waters and since then no one has been allowed to travel through that particular stretch of ocean.
So Kyogre is a very vengeful sea god, but she is right.
>>
>>66715835
Read the Doctrine of Fascism by Benito Mussolini and Giovanni Gentile and you'll gain an understanding on what fascism is all about. Work your way from that and adjust it so that it makes sense that fascism would be the go-to ideology for whatever country you're going for.
>>
>>66715835
Fascist governments are based on influencing the citizens' perception of the state's status to keep order and distract them from inward problems. They keep the idea of "enemy" and military discipline always alive in their minds, even when there's no such thing in sight; they create a pompous, strong, and yet "down to earth" image to instil a sense of security; they modify schools to teach their worldview to children; they use after-work leisure and youth organisations to make their doctrine permeate all of society's strata; they suppress the opposition through violence and censorship. By governing every bit of social life their ideology spreads until it's an integral part of every person's life.
An important part of it is propaganda, spread virally through every bit of media possible. They entice the viewer/reader/whatever so that they get a strong emotional response by seeing the regime's content.
Am I coming across the wrong way? I'm just telling you what I know.
>>
>>66716270
That's kinda something you can apply to most authoritarian one-party/dicatorship-esque regimes. Fascism is more specific than that.
>>
>>66716290
Fascism is about The Party, Which controls The Military, Which is what all things revolve around.

Fascism is about a glorious past that never was. It is lying about the past and saying its whatever you set out to achieve.
>>
>>66716349
>It is lying about the past and saying its whatever you set out to achieve.
I dunno, the Roman Empire certainly did exist.
Unfortunately Italy was at that point a barely-unified country of farmers with nothing even resembling a functioning industry geared towards war, so 'conquering' the old Roman colonies and territories was mostly carried out diplomatically.
>>
>>66716369
Rome was a place where slaves became non-citizens who did a lifetime of service to become citizens who did a lifetime of service to become land owners.

Rome is a place where every god exists, so long as you say that the Emperor is a God.

Rome is a place where race has nothing to do with anything, it's about how roman you are and if you earned your place.
>>
>>66716290
I see. I honestly see little difference in operation between dictatorial regimes, so it seems I should read up on it more closely.
>>
>>66716489
It's weirdly syncretic in some ways. It's not firmly right-wing like a lot of people think because it borrows a lot of traditionally left-wing ideas, the most notable one being an almost complete nationalization of private industries. It's worth it to read about fascism from the source to get the best idea of what it's all about.
>>
>>66716489
Fascism kills unions, USSR was unions all the way down.

Fascism makes up a past, USSR makes up a future.

Fascism perverts and uses religion, USSR kills religion.

Fascism puts the CEOs in charge, USSR kills them.

USSR is put in place by peasants or students, Fascism by election or coup.
>>
>>66716516
Nazi Germany had only two leaders who weren't noble officers or industrialist inheritors.

There was no nationalization, just making Robber barons ministers and then putting everything under their control.

It's like saying Bill Gates is minister of software and forcing you to give him all your software.
>>
>>66716578
>Nazi Germany had only two leaders who weren't noble officers or industrialist inheritors.
I wasn't talking abut National Socialism, that's an ideology begat from fascism with its own principles. There's a reason why Benito and Hitler never truly saw eye to eye and it was based on ideological differences.
>>
>>66716607
Putin is literally the top oligarch in a pyramid of oligarchs, he's also Ex-KGB.

All his people are much the same.
>>
>>66714082
Pragmatically, unenforceable laws become sporadically enforced at best. Given how evil corporations tend to be, the major enforcement will probably be some sort of sabotage of open projects. Corps are the sort of mistake that just keeps giving, really.
>>
>>66715707
>> sprinkling out a dozen possible villains or heroes,

That is Exactly the way to do it.

A good group is the best judge of where your game should go.
>>
>>66715835
It depends frankly, fascism varied a lot between its proponents.

Mussolini's Fascism was different From Hitler's NS, Hitler's NS was different from Austrofascism, Austrofascism was different from Codreanu's Legionarism, ect ,ect
>>66716489
There are differences, but the totalitarian regimes of the 20th did use a lot of the same methods for maintaining control, mass culture, censorship, secret police. That's what maked them totalitarian rather than just authoritarian.
>>
>>66716641
...Okay?
Fascism started in Italy and it was founded by national syndicalists who borrowed ideas from the left and the right-wing. It didn't really matter to them where they stood so they kinda just borrowed what made sense to them from either side.
The National Socialists based their ideas on fascism as well as inventing their own notions and ideas based on shit like phrenology and social Darwinism. They initially borrowed a lot of support from the left-wing and they started off as a purely left-wing party with anti-capitalist sentiments, but during the Night of the Long Knives they did away with their left-wing branches and leaders and became far more firmly right-wing, pro-capitalist and ethnic.
>>
>>66716676
Its not working for my second group thou.
>>
>>66716727
Social Darwinism is something pushed by people already in power, to justify why they are in power. (See "Master Morality" from Nietzsche or "Divine Right" from the Middle Ages in Europe)

Eugenics is pushed by the same people, as they are the ones who can marry within their "superior breeding stock".

The Thule Society was the foundation of the Nazi Party, the "Brown shirts" were just poor people brought on to do what poor people do best, fight and die.

It's somewhat like how in the Revolutionary War, it was the poor who did most of the fighting, but they were whipped when they asked where their pay was and why officers and politicians benefited from the war more then them.
>>
>>66714246
Hello yes I need some info and this is one of those things that are tricky to google. In my setting there's an android rebellion going on and it's a thematic thing that their hero unit mechs are named after figures in Greek mythology that were fucked over/cursed/dubiously treated by the gods, and human hero mechs are named after demigods. I have plenty of demigod names, but figuring out names for android mechs is hard. So far I have Galatea, Arachne, and Narcissus but that's it. More names are appreciated.
>>
>>66709593 here.
What are the hallmarks of a memorable villain? I want to make both villains-you-love-to-hate type so that my players will enjoy finally getting to and fighting them, and more relateable ones. They'll be a squad tasked with bringing a letter to the allied commander in the besieged capital, and they'll have to go through enemy-held territory.
>>
>>66716857
Villains that people remember well, typically have that British thing going where they are better then you, smarter then you, and think they are above you.

Or you can do Hannibal stuff, where he has livers with his fava beans.

Or you can have the villain hit really close to home, be a perversion of your heroes.
>>
>>66716831
>Social Darwinism is something pushed by people already in power, to justify why they are in power.
I thought Otto von Bismarck was more chill than that. But there's a reason why half of all doctors joined the National Socialists when they rose to power, because the ideas of phrenology and social Darwinism were trendy and rad at the time.
Also, Germany itself was a poor bastard at the time. The Party was founded by a poor, bohemian art student who went into politics.
>it was the poor who did most of the fighting, but they were whipped when they asked where their pay was and why officers and politicians benefited from the war more then them.
The US government didn't have a whole lot of power to do anything about their armies in the beginning. Most of them were farmers who ended up leaving during certain seasons during the war because they had to tend to their crops. They weren't whipped for shit.
>>
>>66716930
Hitler didn't found The Party, he was basically their Obama to their Democratic Party.

They found a new guy who could speak well and was likable.

"Baumann proposed that Bavaria should break away from Prussia and found a new South German nation with Austria. In vehemently attacking the man's arguments, Hitler made an impression on the other party members with his oratorical skills; according to Hitler, the "professor" left the hall acknowledging unequivocal defeat.[35] Drexler encouraged him to join the DAP.[35] On the orders of his army superiors, Hitler applied to join the party[36] and within a week was accepted as party member 555 (the party began counting membership at 500 to give the impression they were a much larger party)"

Thule Society is further up the same page.

-

The Continental Army had a policy of whipping people for desertion and because it never seemed to pay it's troops, lots of people deserted.

The Army itself tried to coup the government over their own pay not arriving and their families becoming destitute, the officers whipped the men till any word of this idea was silent.
>>
>>66716930
Not him, but an over looked aspect of most, if not all, revolutions is that they almost always organized by an elite but fought by commoners.

The American revolutionary war was lead by Anglo-Saxon cavilers, while the typical Continental Soldier were Scots-irish yeoman. The french revolution were lead middle class businessmen and the minor nobility, but the average soldier was the from urban poor (but not the countryside). Even the October revolution in Russia was done with a former law student at the helm, when was Russia was still only about 80% primary school enrollment.
>>
>>66717015
"On 5 January 1919, Drexler created a new political party and proposed it should be named the "German Socialist Workers' Party", but Harrer objected to the term "socialist"; so the term was removed and the party was named the German Workers' Party (Deutsche Arbeiterpartei, DAP).[30] To ease concerns among potential middle-class supporters, Drexler made clear that unlike Marxists the party supported the middle-class and that its socialist policy was meant to give social welfare to German citizens deemed part of the Aryan race."

This happened before Hitler even joined the party.
>>
>>66717015
>The Continental Army had a policy of whipping people for desertion and because it never seemed to pay it's troops
No wonder when they're a bunch of undisciplined bumpkins with rifles. Not like human rights where a big deal back then.
I just hope it's not some 'boo-hoo the poor' shit you're pulling.
>>
>>66717031
A lot of revolutions are led by "The Middle", as mentioned in 1984. The Founding Fathers were pretty rich and powerful, but they weren't the king and they weren't the nobles back home; there was someone more powerful then them.

You'll see upper middle class and barely upper class in these things.
>>
>>66717031
>Not him, but an over looked aspect of most, if not all, revolutions is that they almost always organized by an elite but fought by commoners.
Yeah, what about it?
>>
>>66717015
>he was basically their Obama to their Democratic Party.
Don't sell him THAT short, anon.
>>
>>66717071
Not him. "Boo-hoo the poor"? What the hell is this? The poor always have it awful and usually for no legitimate reason, read a history book.
>>
>>66717071
The Red Coats were literally undisciplined bumpkins with rifles. I literally have a discovery book in my house that explains that lots of Red Coats were just people who signed paper while they were drunk and woke up having enlisted.

Most of the people who had good education, good social standing, and so on; knew better then enlist in any army of this time period, period.
>>
>>66717076
>>66717083
iirc the only time a revolution that didn't have elite leadership almost succeeded was the Taiping rebellion.
But that might have to do with Qing incompetence, rather than any brilliance on the part of Hong Huoxiu.

>>66717107
>short
Its not that unjustified, Hitler was only 5'9"

>>66717130
This, armies were usually recruited from the very bottom of the barrel at the time
>>
>>66717123
My point exactly: "Boo-hoo the poor."
>>
>>66717149
Marching into musket fire while everyone around you fell over dead, while having to reload, fire, and march exactly as a trumpet or drums said; was complete garbage.

No one wanted to do this, and it never paid well because the work required was considered very unskilled.

Let's get back on topic though, we were talking about how Fascism isn't the same as what the USSR was.
>>
>>66717130
That's what you get when HQ is literally an ocean away and supply lines are difficult to maintain due to the looming threat of the French.
>>
>>66716741
You have my sympathies. Do they play with their phones?
>>
>>66714246
>>how common are villains and rogues in your setting?
Ubiquitous. Spies literally exist everywhere, and are actually reporting information to their superiors constantly. Spies are so common, that rumormongering has become a standard business model, and there are essentially freelance spies able to be hired ad hoc. In terms of true villains though, it really depends on what you quantify as a villain.
>>is there something in particular that brings people to evil? A common cause for their change of heart?
Fear. Everyone who could be considered evil does this out of fear in some regard. Fear of losing their home, their family, or their life.
>>what are the most common aims? How ambitious can a bad guy be?
Get the other guy before I get got. General bad guys aim fairly low. They make sure they stay at the top, but never, NEVER rise above their peers for fear of reprisal. Sort of like dozens of gang leaders who all agree to stick to their sector of town.
>Hard Mode:
>>who's the single most powerful villain in your setting's history?
Thats a hard question to answer, so i'll give the 3 that might qualify.
Gaspar Cyril de Santo Cristo aka "Soul Taker" - Nobody really knows who this elf is in person. They only know he moves from town to town finding pregnant human women and cutting them up horrifically. Sort of based on Jack the Ripper, but with an added zealot side. He kills humans specifically to prevent their numbers from growing. Always leaves a note saying he's stopped a potential prophecy. Truly fucked up individual
Cessia Tani - Goblin Matron who is 83 years old, with 5 daughters who were all born in the same year. Has 124 female goblins in her lineage right now, and her guild controls in excess of 4000 members. Her whims decide nations fates.
cont.
>>
>>66717213
They just make jokes. One of them keeps insisting everything is gay and his character is "lawful evil"

They can't fucking roleplay, they can barely engage in combat properly.
>>
>>66717187
>was complete garbage.
Those tactics were a limitation of the technology that was available at time, those square formations had worked since antiquity and the guns of the 18th century simply weren't effective enough to be big game changers.

>we were talking about how Fascism isn't the same as what the USSR was.
Of course it wasn't the same, it would be stupid to argue that the totalitarianism of Mussolini or Hitler was the the exact same thing as the totalitarianism of Lenin or Stalin due to thier ideological difference. But that dosen't mean that they didn't some or similar methods of maintaining their power.
>>
>>66717282
It IS true that Stalin, much like his contemporaries, was very prominently interested in creating his own cult of personality and had his own firm ideas on what the USSR ought to be. Stalin was just a lot more totalitarian and willing to do arbitrary killings and making people vanish. That's not saying his peers didn't do so as well, but I'm saying he was particularly engaged in doing that.
>>
>>66717282
Someone was asking about fascism and stuff about Stalinism or general authoritarianism kept popping up.

Then we had a dumb guy who was all "Nazi Party was left wing, durr".

Modern China, Modern Russia, Nazi Germany, and Sparta have nothing to do with 1950s China or the USSR.

It's like confusing Latin and Greek.
>>

Since the Gods made a deal to kill themselves and reincarnate 999 years, numerous sorcerers, warlocks and other magicians have risen as arcane tyrants of the land, while people lose faith.

There are the 4 Impure Princes, fiend lords who seek to corrupt the souls of mortals and free them from the Golden Staircase, the cycle of reincarnation and road to godhood. Passion, Deceiving, Wrath and Ambition are the impurities they represent, having a hand in the corruption of many would-be gods and heroes.

The path to a higher existance is so principal that reaching godhood is not that strange as a goal. In the main world of the setting, the Sorcerer-Kings basically want to explore their growing powers and use them to fill the political power vacuum left by the decaying theocracies.
>>
>>66717321
>Then we had a dumb guy who was all "Nazi Party was left wing, durr".
In fairness, you could make the argument that the strasserists were left wing, given that they considered capitalism to be jewish, were in favour of class warfare, and even considered an alliance with the USSR.

But that ultimately comes down to whether you believe that its sufficiently different to be distinct from Nazism or not.
>>
>>66717254
Fausto de San Salvador Ignacio - Elf that has been a part of 283 tours of duty. Has lead 5 crusades, and has been in direct combat for over 500 years in some capacity. He is the most respected war leader in the world, and commands 10000 professional soldiers.
>>has a villain ever achieved all of their aims? What happened next?
I guess? There haven't really been any mustache twirler villains so, not much to say.
>>what's the most heinous goal that someone tried to reach?
In the past, the Hobgoblin empire sacrificed around 5000 prisoners of war in one week using blood magic to cause the destruction of their rival. It was the reason the gods removed magic and exterminated the Hobgoblins.
>>what about the most noble? If it was truly a good goal, why were they considered evil?
Cessia could be considered noble. She believes that allowing congress to deem people as cull targets is immoral and wrong. She is considered evil because she uses her votes and power to just target the people SHE considers dangerous, getting the world to kill them for her.
>>what sort of people do they employ? How are do they treat their lackeys?
Everyone willing to work for them really. Most treat their lackeys really well. Killing others means your family doesn't die.
>>where do they get their assets from? Who do they deal with to get their resources?
>>how do they equip their minions?
They are guilds or soldiers. Either through legitimate business, or mass looting.
>Dante Must Die:
>>are some of the bad guys right?
I would say yes. But them being right is going to cause a lot of misery.
>>
>>66717321
>Then we had a dumb guy who was all "Nazi Party was left wing, durr".
How you doin'? The National Socialist party USED to have left-wing factions within its party before the Night of the Long Knives which was a point in time where the Party purged itself of the younger left-wing crowd that was found in the SA and many problematic members of the command, like for instance Ernst Röhm who was not only an openly homosexual member of the party but under his command the SA took left-wing stances and supported labor unions and shit. That stuff couldn't stand for long, so when he could, Adolf purged the party and made it more firmly right-wing.
>>
>>66716900
>Villains that people remember well, typically have that British thing going where they are better then you, smarter then you, and think they are above you.
That describes most Pact officers, really. Most think that everything non-elven is livestock to be exploited for labour, slaughtered in rituals for their life-stuff (since their war machines and beasts are mostly powered by that), or hunted for sport and taste, which brings us to
>Or you can do Hannibal stuff, where he has livers with his fava beans.
The Pact almost literally runs on NOPE, and many of its people are very much monsters in a very pretty body. Be it for amusement, hatred, or sheer insanity, they employ methods that go beyond mere necessity, and are rewarded for their devotion by both the Bound (priest-caste, used to be the nobles who backed the Avatar) and the gods themselves. I've got a few ideas here, but my players are also fa/tg/uys and thus I'd better keep my mouth shut.
>Or you can have the villain hit really close to home, be a perversion of your heroes.
>good Pact people with a twisted sense of duty that forces them to serve their country
>quislings
>prisoners experimented upon and turned into obedient soldiery
and so on?
>>
>>66717394
Thule Society > DAP > Nazi Party

I don't consider them part of this.
>>66717413
All three of the organizations above were anti-marxist, the SA was just a pawn organization brought on for a short while to punch people in the face.

They were disposed of as soon as they outlived their purpose.
>>

Actually two, the Dark Twins, a pair of mortals on their path to godhood trought their reincarnations and empowered by the 4 Impure Princes. Their birth marks the doom of the world unfortunate enough to participate on their crusade against the Golden Staircase. The prophecy says that their ascension will come when one of them kills the other.

The original bad guys, the Shadow Titans, actually accomplished their plan creating living beings, still souless, but living, and using them to win the Spirit Wars. Unfortunately, souless beings are not kind pets.

The Dark Twins don't want to anihilate the souls of any living being. Just mix all souls into absolute impurity so they revel in their primal essence and accept the nature of having a soul, a complete, sinful soul.

The entity created by the Souless hive-mind, the Shoal, actually wanted to unify all tought and memory under on conscioussness to make sense of existence, anihilating souls as nothing more than a source of chaos and unhappiness. They were considered evil because they were eldritch, cold and unnatural.

The sorcerer-kings that act as real antagonists basically have their own realms with loyal servants. One has a horde of fire sheperds ready to plunder and enslave. Another is followed by savage knights who believe her a godess. Two of them are just slaves who bide their time poisoning the ears of the court.
>>
>>66717448
>the SA was just a pawn organization brought on for a short while to punch people in the face.
And it sided with labor unions. In 1936 they were sometimes referred to as 'beefsteaks' because they were brown on the outside, and red on the inside. It had to do with the influx of Communists and Social Democrats who were disenchanted with the old guard and wanted something more radical and revolutionary. This wasn't even a secret.
>>
>>66717446
When I say a perversion, I mean like... Think of Black Panther. Spoilers below

Black Panther sees black people suffering, villain sees this suffering too.

Kill-Monger wants to do "reverse imperialism" with "reverse slavery" and "reverse racism". He wants to tit for tat, eye for an eye, sink to their level.

Black Panther defeats this person and decides instead his people will coexist with the rest of the world, and look out for African people.

-

If you want to do a less political example, think of the first Iron Man, spoilers below.

Stark sees his weapons being used for evil and stops making them, the villain is like an uncle who wants to keep making weapons and sell them to bad people.

At the start of the film he's selling weapons, at the end he's fighting against selling weapons.
>>
>>66717494
The middle and upper class didn't want to get their hands dirty, so they brought on some poor people to punch other poor people in the face, then took them all behind a shed to put them down.

None of the people fighting were the public face of the party and none of the main speakers were busy fighting in the streets.
>>
>>66717260
If they can't settle down and it stops being fun for you, invite the best one of the group (if there is one) to start a different game and find some more players. Then hand over or shut down the first game.
>>
>>66717580
I've been talking to another group and I have them on what I call an "Evolution is survival of those most adaptable to change; The Job"

If they don't make the most of their abilities, equipment, what is looted, and so on; they're not going to make it.
>>
File: 20190612_021904.jpg (1.54 MB, 4032x1960)
1.54 MB
1.54 MB JPG
I need to get in control of my life. Making clothes for an imaginary world is too autistic, right?

Yes, I know it looks shit.
>>
File: 1549284975900.jpg (115 KB, 1920x1080)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
>>66718877
>too autistic
>>
File: Nox.gif (182 KB, 320x160)
182 KB
182 KB GIF
>>66714734
>>66714916
What are the beastmen? Are they similar to Warhammer fantasy beastmen? Are the Vampires completely removed from the Empire citizenry? I'm guessing Arazar just didn't realize how big of a task that was, or if not, what stopped him? How aristocratic are the vampires?
>>66714888
>>66715144
>sacrifice on such a massive scale as to reawaken and control technology
Interesting... Which setting is this? I assume you've posted here before, i'm just trying to tie other threads together in my head.
>>66715014
Why not both? Pic related
>>66715645
>>66715865
Just how many of the legendary pokemon are evil? A noble villain is fairly easy to do in a pokemon setting kind of. Heck, Team.... magma (the ones who wanted to capture Kyogre) had a somewhat noble goal, just with batshit insane methods.
>>66716832
Hekatonkheries, Nessus, Pandora, Odysseus, Minos, Midas, Prometheus, Stymphalian. I could probably think of more, but thats off the top of my head.
>>66717367
are you also
>>66717473
>Dark twins
Soul bathing eh? Cool beans. Where do the average folk fit into this setting? Are these villains legends, myths, or up front focused beings? Would the different kingdoms band together to fight these major threats?
>>
>>66719105
What a good fucking BBEG
>>
File: C-mMUToVwAAF7LZ.jpg (192 KB, 1200x842)
192 KB
192 KB JPG
>>66718877
Anon just draw your designs. It's much less time consuming, you can create many designs quickly and discard those that don't work and you don't even have to be good at drawing for it to serve its purpose. I'm not gonna say it's a waste of time, but your effort could be invested much better.
>>
File: 1482366136113.jpg (672 KB, 1913x825)
672 KB
672 KB JPG
I posted this pic last thread (would love to find its source one day) and it has been inspiring me lately. The trouble is nailing down a path to take for this new setting. I want a wilderness campaign, or rather a West-Marches campaign where there is a lot of wilderness filled with ancient ruins, but where large, even advanced cities exist as hub areas for adventuring parties. I'm having trouble deciding on flavor.

Should I go with:
>a post-post-apocalypse world where Wild Magic bombs let the Planes flow into the material realm, permanently mutating everything so that old maps and understandings have to be re-imagined by the survivors who hid in Vaults/Sanctuaries,
>or a world where humanity/mortal-races have plane-shifted to an apparently untamed wilderness dimension, only to slowly discover it is actually a green post-apocalyptic world full of the ruins of once mighty civilizations, but with no sign of what caused their demise apparent...

tl;dr I like pic related and want to base a world on it. Should I go fantasy-nuclear-post-apocalyptic or we-found-a-spooky-mystery-world?
>>
File: 1240128151.jpg (474 KB, 800x1731)
474 KB
474 KB JPG
>>66720409
Artist is named regourso, though the only place he posted his stuff at was deviantart and his account has been shut down, so it's likely he goes by a different name now.
I was never a fan of post-apocalyptic settings, so I'd go with the second. What do you find more fun? I think that's what you should be asking yourself.
>>
>>66720518
I like the wilderness and dungeon-exploration aspect. I know that's old-hat for most GMs and worldbuilders, but I've always focused on the political and historical realms so it's fresh to me.

So, you think the mortals exploring a "New World" works better for that? How much do you think I need to detail the "Old World"?
>>
>>66720606
You just have more questions with a New World setting and it's entirely of your choosing whether you want to answer those questions or let the consumer fill the blanks for which you provide some hints here and there.
>>
>>66715835
Fascism is a difficult to pin down ideology, as it is heavily dependant on the avlues of the culture it springs from. In its most basic form, Fascism is about the united effort of a people to improve and elevate their State, such that it can reciprocate the effort. It's about everyone working for the betterment of the State, guided and directed by a Leader, avoiding the influence of foreign powers and corporations. The Leader and Government will generally pursue paths of Autarky and Irredentism, and maintaining the traditions, values, and culture of their Nation while steadily and measuredly progressing forward.

Like a different anon mentioned, read the Doctrine of Fascism, it's the cornerstone of Fascistic thought. If you want to go deeper, I might recommend For The Millions or 100 Questions Asked & Answered, both by Oswald Mosley.
>>
>>66720732
Given this definition, are ants, bees, and wasps and such fascist governments?
>>
>>66720849
I guess in a way, as goofy as that sounds.
Though, I doubt bees can understand concepts like Irredentism, Nationalism, or Heritage.
Again, it's a difficult ideology to pin down as it varries heavily based on WHERE it is being conceptualized. Italian Fascism is dictatorial, whereas British Fascism is Democratic. Nazism is racist, but there's an Ethiopian form of Fascism. So much of it comes down the circumstances of the movement and the identity and values of the people birthing it, that trying to create one catch-all definition is a fool's errand.
>>
>>66719105
>Just how many of the legendary pokemon are evil?
In my setting as I've made it so far, the ones I've noted are:
>Kyogre: Wants humans to fuck off and stay fuck off because they led the Manaphy and mermaids to near extinction.
>Darkrai: Hates humans because their refusal to heed his dream-induced warnings led to the death of a friend he once had. Now he actually kinda likes watching humans destroy each other all because he plants a little bit of fear in them.
>Giratina: A demon from another plane of existence who simply wants to feed on the life of the people from the surface world.
>Yveltal: Yveltal, if I'm to be honest, is a victim of circumstance whose only viewed as evil for being the opposite of "Giving Life" that Xerneas represents, and that he was merged unwillingly with Julius.
>Genesect: "Evil" is putting it loosely, but Genesect was created solely for the purpose of being a weapon for the evil Kinbadi councilmen to use in their war against the opposing kingdom.
>Suicune: Takes a human form like the other hounds, but he is being coerced under penalty of death to work for one of the BBEGs. Here's hoping my players catch on and help him out.
I didn't use all of them from the games, but I did use a bunch of other legendaries. Pretty much every other legendary I did add in operates on a "don't start nothin' won't be nothin'" basis and are either amiable towards people or are indifferent to their problems.
>>
>>66715939
That'd be an idea. I'd have to think of a good way for their powers to manifest though. Also the players would know beforehand that they have powers so it'd just be them waiting for them to "kick in" when I gave the go.
>>
File: 1431820641072.jpg (355 KB, 1600x1200)
355 KB
355 KB JPG
>>66720682
The trouble is deciding on what mysteries there are...and which, if any, should have an answer. I'm alright with there being no answer for the players, but I should at least know what's going on, to create a consistent feeling.

Another thing to consider is who exactly is a refugee to this world. I have the spark of an idea that they came to this New World from one where some nebulous Dark Lord or The Shadow had won the final apocalyptic war for the realms (see standard fantasy cliche #9276) and some factions amongst the survivors made a quick getaway. I am inclined to go with either All Human refugees, or a group comprising my list of playable races.

I could also combine the ideas a little. The New World suffered a cataclysm in the ancient past. Perhaps a War of Wild Magic that saw Fallout-esque mass-destruction. It would allow me the latitude to play with having Ghouls (see original pic here>>66720409) or Wights. Revenant humans from some long lost empire, or perhaps a group of recent humans transformed into half-undead. Like a natural consequence of this world. I like the idea that getting too close to some magic artifacts from the War causes ghoulification if messed with, leading to a distrust of magic and magic research.

Do my ramblings sound like they're onto something?
>>
>>66720409
>Planes flow into the material realm
>plane-shift
Why does it have to be multiplanar? I mean, is that a particularly important aspect for what you're going for? I feel like a lot of the personality and mystery of a setting goes right to shit when a multiverse is used for no good reason.
>>
File: 1490283405625.png (631 KB, 760x1080)
631 KB
631 KB PNG
>>66721252
Just a justification for weirdness I heard recently. I do, or at least should, have some minor planes, if only for the mechanics of the system I'm using (d&d assumes a couple of things for their classes to function, like there being fae, demons, celestials, etc). I suppose I could make them just part of the material world, but I would need to justify their existences in some way, like with a theme or something.
>>
>>66721374
I was a huge fan of Planescape back in the day, but I hate how it has seeped into so many places. If you want to evoke a really cool sense of wonder, have all of those strange and mysterious entities live in the hidden corners and deepest dungeons of the world. If you have entire other planes that operate on bizarre logic and are teeming with magical entities, you've just explained where everything comes from and have just created a multiverse that is more strange than the strangeness you're trying to bait your players with.
>>
>>66721439
Good points. Alright. I'm thinking of setting the game itself either in the second or third generation since the dimension-jump, or go for a couple centuries out, to give time for the populations to recover. Thoughts?
>>
What are some fluffy ways to limit party size? I'm eyeing up running a solo game. To make the solo aspect run more smoothly in my system of choice and to play up some themeing the player can recruit party members from folks they run into on their journey. My player would be cooperative with a "no more than 4 guys" rule but all the same I'd like to have some kind of fluffy reason for that to be the case. It's a fantasy setting and the game borrows heavily rips off Breath of the Wild. Hexcrawl through a geographically improbable mix of biomes, solve problems for fantasy locals and discover your past kind of deal. Technology level is malleable at this stage.
>>
>>66722056
Have some sort of artifact/relic/forgotten tech that there aren't many of in the world. Each of the PCs has at some point in their backstory obtained one of these. Lots of dungeons, key events, and even the portals that link various realms together can only be accessed by those that have these relics, meaning that the party has to pretty regularly be culled down to the number of relics they have.
Yes, I'm suggesting you add Sheikah slates to your BotW ripoff.
>>
>>66722259
But uh, not literally Sheikah slates. Make them something more appropriate to your setting. And the implication here is that you can once in a blue moon let the players get their hands on a spare to add another person to the group.
>>
So here's a question of the soul and intelligence. Say a race is stricken with some dreadful fucking affliction/war is coming/dear god something wants these poor cocksuckers dead just for the sake of argument. No race wants to go purposely extinct and they scramble for a way to survive.

They upload themselves as digital copies of the race, leaving the bodies as husks with no direction and practically retarded. War/affliction/macguffin comes and the physical traces of the race are wiped. Their civilization is left with some problems, but salvageable. Certainly better than mudhut mcgee. The digital form is surprisingly liberating but also limiting in some ways. Most are content to live in digital utopias at least for now while others wish to explore or be in the real world. My question to you lads is: Are these digital copies still the race that died? Or are they shades now, having lost something so very much a part of them, and something else entirely?

When does the person become an unperson, or do they at all?
>>
>>66722259
I like that a lot. Building on it: perhaps some kind of device that allows for telepathic communication between party members. This would be a softer cap, allowing me to throw temporary travelling companions into the group. It would also provide reasoning for why the player gets to control these NPCs in combat. Mental orders and whatnot. Some kind of holo-tiara or earpiece maybe. It would also be fun to have the player speak to the inventor at some point
>You invent a device that allows four people to speak to one another without uttering a word and all anybody ever asks is "Why not five?" BAH!
>>
>>66717501
Oh, I see. This sounds really nice, anon, thanks for the help.
>>
>>66722812
>Are these digital copies still the race that died? Or are they shades now, having lost something so very much a part of them, and something else entirely?
I would say yes, absolutely. They think like the originals, they feel and act like the originals, and since the originals are dead.
Copying a file creates a clone in another place and deletes the original, but if you say that it's true consciousness transfer then you don't have to worry about this particular problem. Plus, better to have a "mere" copy than letting the original just die and end up with nothing.
Also
>their bodies continue to function
How does this process work in your setting?
>>66722056
Maybe they've got a delicate assignment to do where subtlety is the key, and the more they are the more conspicuous their activities will be?
>>
File: Vampire.png (1.36 MB, 1042x1536)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>>66719105
>What are the beastmen? Are they similar to Warhammer fantasy beastmen?
They are somewhat simlar, with the only differences being the fact that they have a proper military organization and are capable of building stuff.
>Are the Vampires completely removed from the Empire citizenry?
Yes, They have their own peninsula to rule over in the south of the Empire. There are a few young Vampires who try to live inside the Empire, but they are either killed by Inquisitorial Knights or they manage to realize that they have to run away as soon as possible..
>I'm guessing Arazar just didn't realize how big of a task that was, or if not, what stopped him?
He didn't care if it would have taken him decades to complete his goals: the longer the war, the more prestige he would gain from it. He was defeated in a long war of attrition that culminated in a typical fantasy battle in which he was killed.
>How aristocratic are the vampires?
Think of a mixture betwen the Ventrue from Bloodlines and the Vampires from Skyrim and you're pretty close to the idea.
>>
>>66722812
They are a different species at the point they shed the entire set of biological constraints behind their existence. Iconoclastic? Yes. We do exist.
>>
>>66719105
>Interesting... Which setting is this? I assume you've posted here before, i'm just trying to tie other threads together in my head.

I haven't, it's for an ACKS thing I'm puttinng together to run over the summer.
>>
How should I do Orcs, (if at all), in my setting?
Having a "grug atacc" race to be generic badguys can be useful from a lazy writing and trope perspective, but I don't really know how I'd want to have them portrayed.
What's your favorite depictions of Orcs in various settings?

One idea of having them be basically a bioweapon made by some evil Wizard might be appealing for how they came into being, but Lizardmen (And by extension Dragonborn) already fit that bill.

Another vague idea is that all the "fantasy" races, (Except the aforementioned Lizards and Dragonborn), are essentially Humans who at some point had their respective civilization get exposed to magical horseshit and become said races over time, with the "evil" races being those who were already barbarian tribes living in shitholes to begin with before they started contracting magic-AIDS.

I could always go the Warcraft Dindu Nuffin "we wuz honor and shit" path, but I feel that's not only overdone at this point but honestly just a bit of a shit crutch unless I was to deliberately say that Orcs are massive hypocrites about "muh honor", raiding and pillaging but bitching when there's retribution/only challenging people (Or at least Outsiders) to "duels" when they feel they have a massive advantage.

Or I can just skip Orcs entirely and have Human bandits and raiders in regions without a big military presence.
>>
>>66714246
Ancient empire whose provinces long ago became independant or lost to barbarians has a renaissance and begins reconquering it's old territory.

What are some fun things to do with this premise? I thought that some form of cultural continuity with the old empire or hybrid barbarian/imperial culture in the provinces that looks to the old empire as a source of glory and legitimacy and now has to deal with the neo-imperial resurgence trying to call in oaths of vassalage and tribute that have been lip service for centuries might be interesting. Especially if the provinces don't really consider the neo-imperials to be the true heirs anymore. How do you go about culturally reintergrating such a region?
>>
>>66724121
Wizard wars solve many problems of this type. Evil wizard wars solve almost all of them. You could have Orcs be a different model, or made by a different side, or be a failed or rebellious experiment. You could have Orcs be the ur-humanoid from which all others were derived by evil wizards to serve different functions. There are options.
>>
>>66724138
Since there's already two or three Liches that have been being assholes pretty much since the dawn of time I've been contemplating making pretty much all the horrible abominations from Kobolds and Lizardmen to Owlbears and Orcs one of their's fault and just slap in something about how their specialty is fleshcrafting.
>>
>>66724189
Sounds good. You can even have a plot about how they've moved on from over warfare to proxies and wars of assassins, so they stopped making armies of monsters.
>>
>>66724121
If you don't know what to do with them then my first suggestion would be to skip orcs and not include them just because every fantasy world needs orcs. If you need big and stompy badguys there are plenty of ways the human bandits or barbarians can be juiced up.

If you do want orcs then the other way look at the problem is asking yourself "what is an orc?"
As you say, orcs have been portrayed very differently over the years so what really defines orciness beyond the name?

Once you have a list of key traits and concepts then you can start to work that into a coherent vision. You might be surprised where the ideas take you and how things evolve from the conceptual building blocks.
>>
>>66722812
>are they persons?
Assuming the upload process did not massively destroy or rewrite parts of their minds, yes.
>are they the same persons?
This is the kind of question that philosophers will forever argue about. No easy answers here.
>are they the same nation? Culture?
If they want to be, yes.
>are they the same species?
No. Species are defined by physical body and their bodies have changed far too much.
>are they a new species? Related to the old one?
Sort of related. The usual means of defining a species - breeding, inherited characteristics, and such - are hard to apply to digital or constructed beings.
>have they lost anything?
Presumably the sub-conscious sensations that biological bodies have? But in theory those could be simulated as part of their virtual spaces. Or replicated with really advanced robotics.
In those cases they would think nothing lost. But there would be space to disagree, argue 2D vs 3D love and stuff like that.
>>
>>66715014
best is when they interfere with the players goals indirectly and it sets of a ridiculous chain of events
>>
File: Darkangels.jpg (1.66 MB, 1779x1736)
1.66 MB
1.66 MB JPG
goys, I need some help.

I'm trying to put super human soldiers in a setting, but the more I think about them, the more they sound like a copy of the Adeptus Astartes. What can I do to do make them different from the Space Marines?
>>
>>66724866
Start over and stop thinking 'space marines but not'.
>>
>>66724121
I've always loved the Warhammer version of orks. It's simple, but clean, effective, concise, direct, and understandable. It also has some surprising story/plot implementations.
>>
I don't know if I should continue trying to carefully craft my setting in a loving and consistent way from the ground up or just go full retard and throw in everything I want before narrowing things down and putting everything together.
I also thought about making a Seussian setting.
>>
>>66724866
Make them like River Tam from Firefly.

(They don't have to all be petite girls.)
>>
>>66725339
>River Tam from Firefly
can you expand on that?
>>
>>66725080
Go full retard, nobody is going to read it, much less meticulously check it for logical errors.
>>
>>66725650
Enhanced humans with heightened dexterity, reflexes, speed, and low level psychic 'Spidey Sense'.

Sometimes known as 'Dex Monsters'.

A drop pod might hold 16 Jet Li dudes but only 6 Andre the Giants.
>>
Don't really know how to phrase this question: but how can I have a royal family/bunch of nobles who have special "blood" that doesn't get diluted over the generations/centuries? And doesn't end up with them resorting to inbreeding to keep the bloodline going.

Basically a long time ago (unsure about time frame, maybe 1k years?) these nobles mixed with a different race, making them half-whatever. Said different race no longer exists.

I kinda want to do something like the "specialness" of the blood is transmitted through all the females or the males.
>>
>>66727171
Don't overthink it. The blood is special and one of its special traits is that it doesn't dilute. It will always stay dominant.
>>
>>66727416
well that works. Thanks.
>>
>>66727171
Specialness of the blood is not genetic. Embrace a more medieval outlook about the inherent power of nobility and a prestigious ancestry.

Are you a legitimate scion of a noble dynasty? If so then congratulations, you have special blood. It's stronger the closer you are to the main line, with the strongest being the reigning monarch or title holder. Cadet branches are not quite as august and bastards are more of a wild card, sometimes diluted but sometimes just as strong especially if their sire is particularly illustrious. It's not inherent to having a title, but those higher up the feudal hierarchy are naturally more disposed to greatness. That's why they are noble and you are a peasant.

Incest is a good way to actively debase the blood, you are literally tainting it with sin.
>>
>>66727171
Scientifically speaking, you cannot do that without inbreeding due to the simple fact that humans come from one sperm and one egg.
However, >>66727416 has the right idea if you make it a magical process. Don't make it "dominant" in the mendelian sense, that only means that the one copy of the allele possessed by the organism will be manifested.
Elaborate on the "special" bit, though.
>>
>>66727171
If you have 300+ nobles, geneology charts and careful marriages, there is no problem.

The Special stuff can be on the extra leg of the chromosome of females.
>>
>>66727473
I should add that several cultures have promoted the idea that their nobility are inherently better because they have a different ancestry to the servile peasants. In the renaissance French nobles latched onto the idea that they were descended from the Franks while the commoners were Gauls.

The Polish possibly took this idea the furthest. Their nobles decided they were scions of the ancient Sarmatians, a nomadic empire that once ruled the European steppe which was much cooler than sharing a heritage with the slavic peasants. They were basically weebs, larping as a culture they knew little about and their notion of Sarmatism was a mix of contemporary Turkic nomad fashions and pure fantasy.
>>
>>66727493
The specialness is basically: somewhat taller and stronger, have a stronger connection to their gods, live longer lives but don't -age- as fast/bad (eg a 70-80 year old noble will still be hale and hearty), they don't wind up decrepit and senile when they're old old.

>>66727500
I was thinking of having the nobles be a very large group, I really have no idea how big royal families were back in the day but I was thinking 500-1000 adults at least
>>
>>66727473
I think this kind of approach is much better than trying to muddy it up with ill-fitting genetic mechanics.
>>
>>66715707
>Most players have characters without thoughts.
There's your main problem, then. If the main characters have no depth or nuance, then there is no way to make a truly great antagonist to pit against them.
>>
>>66727740
>it's those darn dastardly players that make me a shit gm
>>
>>66727626
This is great, thanks a bunch dude.

>>66727693
yeah I know chum diddly about genetics and stuff because I haven't taken a bio class in forever. This idea is a lot better than anything I was thinking of at first
>>
File: 1442135529090.jpg (1.17 MB, 1440x900)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
>>66724121
Though I don't care much for high magic/fantasy, I've always liked pre-WoW warcraft Orcs. They had both noble, shamanistic natures with a bloodlust that manifested itself in physical violence or more insidious means through fel magic and demonology.
>fantasy races (...) are essentially Humans who at some point had their respective civilization get exposed to magical horseshit and become said races over time
This is how Warcraft did elves, with them being ancient Trolls twisted by the magic of the Well of Eternity. Always liked this, don't see why it couldn't work with your setting.

You really need to think carefully whether you need orcs in the first place, the absolute worst you can do it include them simply because most fantasy has them. What would they add to the setting?
>>
>>66726393
sounds cool
>>
>>66727656
Then >>66727473 is right. Make the title itself bestow the powers on someone, like the Nerevarine.
This also opens up the possibility of someone acquiring royal blood, so long as they're someone of status.
>>
>>66727777
Checked, but it's a team effort. While more responsibility generally rests on a GM's shoulders, anyone not putting any effort into group enjoyment is going to shit up the experience.
I'm thankful every Saturday that the first system everyone at my table played expected GMs to rotate and players to have more than one character. Even though I usually GM now, my players enjoy contributing to the story besides just their character's arc.
>>
File: 1406841013583.jpg (393 KB, 2933x1372)
393 KB
393 KB JPG
Post your setting's races. Do you follow themes for adding people and cultures? How do you organize this aspect of worldbuilding?
>>
>66710305

7 kingdoms hex map

I like your map,
i suggest you make a political map separate from the geographical one. the titles are cluttered and distracting.
>>
File: 1560265094885.png (7.24 MB, 6868x6050)
7.24 MB
7.24 MB PNG
>>66729626
Oops, botched the link to last thread.
>>
>>66729609
Aside from standard humans and pokemon that exist in my setting, there's also Mermaids who live their lives scarcely scattered throughout the seas surrounding the continent. They worshiped Kyogre like their patron god of sorts.

Also there's Fey people. Arceus's granddaughter with her control over nature made an entire forest spring forth in which the Fey could live. I sort of made it a tossup for what qualifies a Fey, so I just decided to say that they come in a couple of different flavors ranging from 6-inch tall wood sprites to human-sized insect-half people to dryads. They all live within a place called Everjade Forest and the common motif as far as appearances go are "insect-like" and "one with nature".

>How do you organize this aspect of worldbuilding?
Honestly it started with
>"You know it would be kinda neat if I had my players fight a wood sprite / mermaid NPC and their pokemon at some point in this."
And then it grew into
>"Shit, maybe I should make an actual race based on these if I'm going to do that."
So I did that and categorized them as "the reclusive races who mind their own business."
>>
>>66723442
>How does this process work in your setting?
Uploading the consciense and leaving the body is like having a computer without the internet connected. The body can operate, but it's doing it dumbly. It has lost what it built over the course of its life and is suddenly back to vegetable. Automatic functions will continue, instinct will kick in, but it's not the person that was there before.
>>
File: Malkan Queen by Rotaken.png (975 KB, 763x1080)
975 KB
975 KB PNG
>>66729609
>Aita
Red-skinned elves. Range from bright red to pink to russet, with hair color from blond to black. Long-lived, as is required. Have a weird thing where every female's first pregnancy fails, except for in the royal family, who are said to have forged a pact with Death itself.

>Kelere
Dragon/kangaroo critters. Stereotypically martial. Have always been hailed as awesome heavy infantry, ferocious in the charge. Proficient sprinters, but no endurance. Tend to be sprinters in mindset, too, favoring audacity to temperance.

>Fosscae
Penguin/mole folk. Have long claws that act as magic antennae. Natural miners, obviously. Good engineers and artisans, and excellent mages. Have a religious sect which believes they can burrow to heaven.

>Edr
Flightless, yet feathered people. Have always been kinda miffed that they can't fly. Have an ancient myth that claims they all came from a flying city, which explains why they show up all over the world. Physically incapable of pronouncing the "V" phoneme.

>Humans
Because why the fuck not?
>>
>>66731058
I love the Dragaroos.
>>
Working on fleshing out a setting for a Pathfinder group I'm going to run. Any tips on making a world map?
>>
>>66731484
Make a big island or a peninsula.

England or Australia sized. Save the rest of the world for later.
>>
File: 1540866372358.png (1.01 MB, 2500x2589)
1.01 MB
1.01 MB PNG
>>66729609
>Humans
Humans arrived in the world through an artifact known as the Arc, a magical gateway they constructed in order to escape a dying world. They immediately broke into small kingdoms based in the ruins of the Giants, a race of beings who disappeared so long ago even other long-lived races have no idea what actually happened. Humans managed to bring a few bits of technology through with them, including early firearms and a scientific knowledge base somewhere in between Alchemy and the early Victorian period.
>Elves
The Elves have always live an isolated existence, somewhere between pastoralism and neolithic lifestyles. In the Giants' time, they were nomadic, only staying in one place if winter and food supplies allowed. Their culture and civilization has only just begun to accept long-term agriculture when the Human race appeared. Smitten with these beings who lived such short lives, but appeared as demigods by their technical skill, the Elves as a whole are torn between their fascination with mankind and their fear of man's illnesses and seeming genetic dominance, for any halfbreed between the two seems far too little elf at times.
>Dwarves
Once rulers of a mighty underground empire, the Dwarves fought against endless foes in the Deep, digging greedily in the process. Eventually, it was their own infighting that brought them low. Dwarves live in enclaves on the surface now, with only some delving into the caverns to reclaim some of their lost glory. They were so busy with their own affairs that their own history lost track of the Giants' fate as well.

1/2 (pic unrelated I just think it's cute)
>>
File: 1446068323800.jpg (43 KB, 384x750)
43 KB
43 KB JPG
>>66731730
>Wights
Early experiments with Necromancy (an art unknown to humans in the Old World) in the decade since humans came led to an early catastrophe as a swath of kingdoms and territories were smothered in a blanket of necrotic power. The Blightlands were forbidden thereafter. But not all who were living there perished. While thousands became a new wave of undead nightmare, many retained their intelligence and returned to civilization. Cursed and mistrusted, these Wights live a seemingly immortal life, beset by rot and existential horror. As more regular children are born Wighted, some believe that the originals bring a necromantic disease amongst them, and so are often shunned and discouraged from living in the cities. Many Wights themselves believe this, while others seek either a means of healing themselves or proof of their value as human beings.

I feel like I need a Small race of some sort. Just for balance sake. Is there some obvious niche for one I'm missing? I'm not feeling halflings, and I never know what to do with gnomes.

Pic also unrelated.
>>
>>66729609
Whenever I posted anything about any of my races, it tends to get long-winded while simultaneously nobody replies to the point that it feels like a waste of time.
>>
>>66731845
Same. But if I don't write it down somewhere it might as well not exist. And at least this way, I get it out so I can re-read and examine my work while getting a small chance someone will comment.
>>
>>66717539
Okay, so? You gonna whine about the poor like some dirty Red bastard?
>>
>>66720915
I think that Italian fascism was the founder of these ideologies, but when other factions like the Arrow-Cross Party, the National Socialists, the Utashe and even the British Union of Fascists adopted these ideologies, they had their own spins and emphases that they added onto or changed. I think that they're unique enough, even, that it branches out as different ideologies that have the same root. I'd also include Brazilian Integralist Action into that sphere, even though it's an outlier compared to the other ones listed just due to how it was very different compared to the other ideologies.
>>
>>66731634
Currently I have a few regions mapped out in my head. One is not-medieval Europe, another is not-Rome, then not-Persia and not-India. I based the known world on the Mediterranean, roughly, with Europeanish kingdoms filling an area west of what is roughly Iran, with not-Rome interposed in between. Europe is savage lands and the rest of the world is unknown.
I'm wondering what's the best software to design this map though, and some tips on making it realistic climate wise, or how to draw realistic borders to nations and trace shorelines and such.
>>
>>66727626
The Poles tend to have very fantastical notions on who they used to be and what they represent. Maybe that's why Stanislaw Szukalski was so popular among certain Polish crowds.
>>
>>66731871
I kinda didn't feel like having straight-up races and I've subscribed to the idea of having ethnic groups and cultures instead. The Conan series have only reaffirmed this decision and I think it was a sound one. I'm still thinking about having echoes of more traditional races in there, but not having it be too explicit.
>>
>>66731984
Use a geographical map of Earth.

I like Paint.net.

Hex maps can be helpful if you want to make a full globe. Use them as a building tool more than as a final product.

Go through the resources in the OP if you want to build from scratch.
>>
File: world-song-map-largeHP.jpg (1.34 MB, 2400x1769)
1.34 MB
1.34 MB JPG
>>66731984
>>66732177
Use this map and your game will rock on forever.
>>
File: RACESHEET.jpg (824 KB, 1875x750)
824 KB
824 KB JPG
>>66729609
These aren't necessarily all common, but they're every sentient race that has had a significant presence in at least one region of the world.
From left to right:
>Goblins
>Fosque
>Dwarves
>Humans
>Fatae
>Ottun
>Hlo
>Orcs
If any anon's interested, I can describe any of them and have more art of each.
As for themes, kind of? I wanted different sorts that are good for telling certain types of stories, as well as a bit of variety because all of the settings the group's played up until now have been pretty much human only. Adding cultures has been done more meticulously, but the specifics of the races have mostly been a group effort, as my players enjoy contributing and had some fun coming up with some of these.
>Organization.
Oh that's easy. I come up with an idea, decide to write it down, agonize for way too long over the details and organization, and then get distracted by something else. Send help.
>>
>>66731871
>And at least this way, I get it out so I can re-read and examine my work
Yeah, that is one of the positive aspects. "Telling" something is different than just thinking it for yourself. You often look at it from a different angle and you need to tell it in a way that makes sense for someones.
>>
File: wiscretsan.png (878 KB, 593x802)
878 KB
878 KB PNG
>>66731984
Here is another way to get a great map without getting a 4 year degree.
>>
>>66732456
What am I looking at?
>>
>>66732608
Kinda looks like that little thingie that sticks out of California.
>>
File: this isn't europe.jpg (2.84 MB, 3000x2098)
2.84 MB
2.84 MB JPG
Giving players this players' guide and this 'homeland' map to start a campaign (I've posted the new world map they're getting here before, not going to repost old content).

Would you be happy receiving this as a player as far as worldbuilding content goes? Would you prefer more, or less, or specific things I did not cover?
>>
>>66714246
Setting is called Mundterra, pretty generic fantasy setting which some very minor steampunk-esque things (like Dishonoured but the macguffin is crystalline magic, not whale oil, and it more closely resembles renaissance europe than Victorian England)
>How common are villains and rogues?
Not very. Most people are peasants or commoners with not enough capability to be bad. People with more power than that are just trying to get by, abd a lot of them do end up doing some shady stuff, but it's not often there's some villain with a grand plan. Bandits are pretty rampant, at least in the Human Realm.
>something in particular that brings people to evil
Other than naked self interest, there are several Gods who get their followers to do things that could be viewed as evil
>Common aims/how ambitious can a bad guy be?
Wealth and political power are common aims. Sadism is also one, but rarer. Orcs worship the God of Death, so they basically want to kill people until they're killed in a fight. As for how ambitious, the current ruler of one of the Human kingdoms, Kaiser Malice I, started out an utter nobody and did many underhanded dealings to get where he is, and in the present day of the setting, there's a character, Gaius, who wants to exterminate all life because he doesn't see reality as real. So that's pretty ambitious.
>Most powerful villain in history
The guy that caused the downfall of the Elysian Empire, known simply as the Dut, was certainly a villain from the Elysian perspective and certainly powerful. Leaders of the Orc Hordes also. Gaius, when he achieves his aims, would probably be the most powerful villain in the whole timeline. Him or Apollyon, the God of Death.
>Has a villain ever achieved all of their aims? What happened next?
Yes, Gaius canonically achieves everything he wants, that being an undead army that is unstoppable, and he becomes a Lich. But his genocidal designs get interrupted by the apocalypse.
>>
>>66732662
This is the guide, oops. Forgot you couldn't upload multiple attachments.
>>
>>66732608
The Great Inner Sea of North America 84 million years ago.
the outlines are the modern states, who all have free maps online.
>>
>>66732662
Assuming they're free to ask questions, seems good.
>>
>>66732662
Nice, but your text has serious problems.

And it needs a scale.
>>
>>66732698
Continued
>What's the most heinous goal some one tried to reach?
Gaius, but there was also a bandit who's main motivation was raping women
The Dut, he wanted to free his people from what he saw as opression from Elysium, he was seen as evil by the Elysians and some pro-Elysian historians
Most "bad guys" employ people who'll forego morality for pay. Malice has many loyal followers, but also his soldier don't really have a choice since he's king. And Gaius uses corpses.
Depends. A corrupt merchant will get his resources through trade and undercutting competition. A mercenary commander through pay or plunder. A monarch through taxes. Some by espionage. Some by straight up theft.
Most footsoldiers use pikes. Swords are a favourite sidearm. Armour varies based on class and region.
Well, maybe Gaius is. His philosophy is that because the world is created by the Gods, it's not really real. It has no real value because it came into creation from nothing and could easily be replaced. Essentially simulation theory, and he wants to end the world because of that, because that realisation shattered his worldview (he used to be very devout). I personally don't think he's right, but one could. The Dut was partially right about his people being opressed, but he did destroy the civilization responsible rather brutally. For other villains, right and wrong in a factual sense don't really come into it.
>>
>>66719723
I have drawn them, but If I make them, I can see them move. I can be sure the clothing makes sense.

The tunic was pretty simple, though I've not been able to get the knack of sleeves.

Trousers are annoying.
>>
>>66733472
Rock on.
Dude, keep at it. I did fiber arts heavily in skuul.

Trad Japanese and weird stuff too
>>
>>66732344
I love seeing all the races lined up.
>>
>>66731964
>having correct knowledge of fascism beyond nu/pol/ circejerking
actually based and redpilled
>>
>>66719105
Dark twins guy here, yes same posts, forgot to link the posts.

Average folk live in a iron-age society, so right now, many are trying to settle new fertile lands, reestablish trade routes, and join the Scanvegers Legion (auxiliary armies of not-roman gnolls).

> Are these villains legends, myths, or up front focused beings?

They absolutely exist, but as the worlds in the multiverse are many, and few know exactly where a soul has reincarnated, is treated as legend.

>Would the different kingdoms band together to fight these major threats

Probably, but also could easily be subdued and seduced by the dark powers.
>>
>>66724866

Think about how war is in your setting. Think what tech is avaiable in your setting.

Use the tech avaiable to better adapt the human race to that warfare.
>>
>>66733860
Yeah I like having the size comparison to get a feel for the differences.
>>
>>66729609

>Rivadians

Two horned, herbivorous humanoids of great size, quasi-amphibous and somewhat similar to a rhinoceros (actually closer to elephants). Culturally they are solitary ,have a great (but strange) sense of humour. Basically fat cunning and nice ogres their major civilizations being somewhat like the polynesian and somewhat like ancient egypt.

>Gnolls and Aardvolk

Aardvolk are a smaller breed of gnoll. They live in and worship the earth. Have great senses and are normally very peaceful except if you invade their homeland, then its basically underdark afghanistan. They are small but very quick, stealthy and with many beasts as allies.

Gnolls are gnolls, but their main civilization is a theocratic imperialist republic. Kind of a mix of Rome and the Arab caliphate. They are major slavers and the creators of ghouls (as actually good treated slaves). Currently they are the major power, as they are the ones not so affected by the 999 year absence of their old gods (their system of governement depended less on the guiding of their gods compared to the other theocracies, and is more stable)

> Humans

Divided in the fire sepherd hordes, the Cutting Woods tribes and the Sonjaal League.
>>
Do I have to have a "small" race? If I'm making a D&D campaign setting, are halflings and gnomes required?
>>
>>66734556

I would recommend havin a small race in a D&D setting. But personally i always welcome the absence of something as lame as a gnome or a non-hobbit halfling.
>>
>>66734650
Well, my setting tends towards the less fantastical, so I've been disliking gnomes and halflings, but what the hell else is there?
>>
File: 1557341416865.jpg (1.07 MB, 2000x1333)
1.07 MB
1.07 MB JPG
Hello /wbg/, first time posting on this general but I've had a question on my mind for the past few days and can't solve it.
I try to summarize the question as such : "Can you just do a historically inspired setting without it being too obvious and your players taking it seriously ?"
I have ideas floating around for not-Austria in the not-early-17th century, but there are spies sent by the not-ottoman empire that try to steal a not-byzantine relic sealed in a crypt and resting on not-a-bejewelled-saint (see pic related for an example)
>>
>>66734699

It depends, what kind of setting we are talking about? sci-fi? horror? realistic fantasy?
>>
>>66734699
I assume you aren't considering dwarves smallfolk?
Also, no, you definitely don't need a smallfolk race. Especially if you have no niche in mind for them.
I kinda hate gnomes personally.
>>
File: 1473878280490.png (5.18 MB, 1131x1600)
5.18 MB
5.18 MB PNG
>>66734770
This one: >>66731730, >>66731752, >>66720409, >>66721214.

As short as I can make it,
>a low-fantasy human-only world evacuates some of its people to a Myazaki-esque high fantasy world when theirs explodes
>Elves are primitives both enamored of these advanced (mix of 16th to 19th century tech) humans, and scared because smallpox and halfbreeds
>Dwarves want to rebuild their lost kingdoms, and see humans as a natural ally (or at least a provider of firearms for when they need to genocide the greenskins)
>Wights are humans who dabbled in this newfangled thing called Necromancy and it fucked them up (Fallout Ghouls)

>>66734822
Nah. Dwarves may be small, but not smol, and definitely too broad for that. Also, game mechanics pin them as medium.

I also hate gnomes to one degree or another, depending on my mood.
>>
>>66734871
Seeing the green post-apoc as a possibility maybe something feylike, less gnomes, more the children of the forest in ASOIAF. Truly primitive and native of the borders. Goblins are also an option.
>>
File: 1440653649808.png (26 KB, 270x270)
26 KB
26 KB PNG
>>66732344
>slimes
>pic orcs
hot
>>
File: 1528391197628.jpg (145 KB, 757x1056)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
>>66734920
I feel like my Elves are already hitting that primitive native niche. But something more...elemental? Could work. I'd like to avoid animal-folk or something like that, unless I could swing like small Thundercats. An insectoid could also work, like 3E's Dromites.

So,
>small elementals (mephits?)
>small bugs
>small thundercats

Any of those jump out? Pic unrelated.
>>
>>66735076

Small elementals and small bugs seem specially apropiate for western feel. Sand mephits could give goblinesque humour without killing grim western feel.

Small bugs could also be interesting bu i would avoid sci-fi like hive mind types
>>
File: 1521613322624.jpg (88 KB, 600x816)
88 KB
88 KB JPG
>>66735140
>western
How do you mean? I think the bug idea would fill its own niche, so I'll work on that. I wasn't going for a hive mind, though if you know which bugs/insects have family units, that'd be grand.
>>
>>66734940
When he pitched a slime race to me, I'll admit I winced. I blame /tg/. But they're just little amorphous blobs. No humanoid form or shapeshifting or anything. I've come to like them.
>>
File: 1415408333692.jpg (53 KB, 580x435)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>66735393
Amorphous is best, anon, no hole can deny them. Your player is on to something.
>>
>>66735140
Hivemind bugs are so overused.
>>
File: 1529527761857.jpg (1.65 MB, 3036x4048)
1.65 MB
1.65 MB JPG
not my work
>>
File: 1445088119156.jpg (340 KB, 1385x955)
340 KB
340 KB JPG
This guy again: >>66734871
Should my humans have arrived in the New World (Terra?) in the last generation? Two? Three? I'm not sure if 30 or 300 years is a good amount of time to let them recover some numbers and begin rebuilding in the ruins of the Giants. Is it more compelling to be a recent immigrant to this new world or a descendant of the originals? I want there to be at least a little connection with the founding, or at least with the idea of humans coming from another world, else it would feel like meaningless background info.
>>
>>66737707
Other question: Would you fellows still consider a Goblin with four-arms to be a goblin? How far can you stretch the tropes and characteristics of a race before it becomes its own thing? Because I'm considering making a race of 4-armed Georgian-period industrialists based on a fusion of the UrRu from Dark Crystal and goblins, and just calling them goblins.
>>
Bumpity bump bump
Bumpity bump bump
Look at /wbg/ go...
>>
>>66734720
Yes, and even if they did notice, as long as you treat the material seriously, I'd imagine it would be acceptable anyway. Not sure how fastidious your particular players are, but if you are seriously concerned, you may want to identify the ones who are most likely to have an issue and avoid whatever it is that they are most sensitive to. Most people might not even notice the references, unless you go out of your way to be obvious (such as calling the polities 'Ostria' or 'Ottoturk Empire' or whatever).

The setting sounds fun, by the way.
>>
File: 1513931148904.png (1.92 MB, 898x1164)
1.92 MB
1.92 MB PNG
>>66734720
I like the sounds of it. You can certainly do it, so long as the players can deal with intrigue, and using real inspirations will at least help in making a scenario more plausible by taking from real events and/or stories.
Could you elaborate a bit on the story here? It sounds exciting.
>>
>>66714246
The costumes get weirder with every sequel
>>
File: 1558468542636.jpg (42 KB, 540x592)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>66729609
For this one it was quite easy, since I have a mostly extinct progenitor race that's responsible both for creating humanoids and for the current state of the world.

>Humans
Humans were made to bleed on the altars. They have strong souls, multiply rapidly, and are just robust enough to survive the rigours of ritual preparation. In the modern age they make for powerful priests, sorcerers, and wizards, as a human soul is a precious commodity for the gods, spirits, and demons of the world. Every human has the ability to make pacts with those entities, manifesting in a little priestly or sorcerous power in those that make use of it.

>Elves
Elves were made to be overseers. They have power over the lesser creatures of the world, including sentient races, and use it as a matter of course. Elves are horrifying, and their demesnes deep in the wild some of the worst places to visit. Every living thing, from great basilisks to blades of grass serves the elves. Or that's what they want you to think.

>Dwarves
Dwarves were made for precision work, and arduous labour. They're small, dextrous, and indefatigable. Modern dwarves still live in the Cities of Bone, excavating dead buildings, carvig cities into their protective coating, and feeding on the flesh within.

>Tritons
Tritons are dicks. Remove tritons.

>Shunned
These are a failed attempt to create sorcerous servants. Each shunned is different, and they all resemble an ill-conceived mix of humanoid ad reptilian features. Some are men with serpent heads on long necks, some have no arms and use their tongues and tails to manipulate objects. Some are snakes with legs. Some spit fire or venom. They're universally hated, being made in the image of the serpent-men, but their magic is powerful, and they take to the old machines easily.

>Crow Men of Thrax
They're the sole race without a clear function or origin. They simply appeared in the Last City of Man after it was nearly destroyed, and began trading with the humans.
>>
>>66739176
I have a lot of luck since my usual group since they, like me, are interesting in discovering settings inspired by periods of history that most people don't know much about.
I have previously created a setting set in 1890's Japan inspired by Raidou Kuzunoha games and they keep asking for more, and I think my attention to historical details (though I warn them the setting has anachronisms e.g: cars are the models you would find in the 1920-30) is partly to thank for this.
>>66739928
The name of the campaign would be "Impetuous Emperor".
20 years after a devastating war of religion, the young emperor Karl-Friedrich (born right after the war, name extremely pending), just succeeded to his father and everyone trusts him to continue the work his father started and get the empire back on its feet.
Although KF (see why it's pending ?) doesn't want to right now. After seeing his father die of a heart attack at just 50 and blaming the stress of managing an empire for it. He's also young.
Coming back from with his entourage from a routine military visit in a border part of the empire. Because of bad weather blocking a bridge he's forced to go through a small village/town where the citizens are rioting in front of the castle.
They will discover that the lord imposed unauthorized taxes on the locals, all for fueling a very demanding bohemian lady he was infatuated with.
If they decide to solve this problem they may learn that this lady is just one of numerous agents sent by the not-ottomans to sap funds and undermine this border region they previously failed to take by force.
On the big politics side the not turks are trying to not only trying to take the empire for themselves, but especially recover the golden helm of the not-byzantines. As legend say it would grant unlimited and unbeatable tactical and political wisdom to the one wearing it.
In truth, this helm-crown (look up berkasovo type helm) is cursed as it houses the twisted ambitions 1/2
>>
>>66740887
of the previous wearers. Which torment the wearer's mind. Although they provide good advice their voices eventually drives the wearer insane with power and ambition.
That's the basic pitch of it anyway. The players play premade characters (as my players usually like having an easy to play adventure once in a while), one player plays the young emperor while the others choose between his numerous advisors and imperial guards.
>>
>>66737707
I'd personally make them recent immigrants. That just sounds more interesting to me.
>>
>>66714246
I had an idea for a D&D setting but my friends basically told me it's way too basic, and already done.
I was playing Amid Evil and it came to me that I would like a setting with vast deserts and landscapes that hide ancient cities and dungeons.
Civilization leaves by the coast of a big continent and only about 5 - 10% of the world has been explored.
There was a long time ago a magic catastrophe and the ancient civilizations are no more.
Adventures would start in bordering cities of the known world, where explorers would team up to embrace adventure and explore the immense deserts and forests and tundras where these ancient promises of knowledge and treasure are hidden.
The theme would be more sword and sorcery.

I have more stuff to explain but basically te TL DR is a D&D world where the focus is exploring the unknown and going through dungeons and ancient cities.

Should I ditch it or try to work on it?
>>
>>66740963
About magic, the setting would be pretty low magic, although some of the ancient civilizations where highly magical, with impossible wizard towers protected by automatons and the such.

The majority of magic users now are people who have managed to learn the language of the ancient civilizations (since it's the language of magic) and managed to buy/find spell scrolls or books in one of these ancient dungeons.

Sorcerers can exist and are known, but not common.

Warlocks exist, but I would have to think about the patrons.

Paladins and clerics work but I haven't figured out the pentagon yet.

Most magic items (if not all) are found in the ancient cities and dungeons, so if you have one, you are either a scarred explorer veteran or you had enough money to buy it from one.
>>
>>66740963
One of the reasons civilisation hasn't developed to new lands is the existence of giant monsters that act as natural borders. The sands hide an immense sandworm draogn, the seas hide crakens the size of castles, the plains are ruled by tarrasques and dragons.
These are not commonly seen, they are more than anything something to be afraid of, a monster under your bed.
>>
File: eeg.png (1.97 MB, 1920x1080)
1.97 MB
1.97 MB PNG
>>66740963
It was at this moment of the game, with the dunes going beyond the horizon and the long abandoned wizard tower far away. It called me to adventure, it made me want to go there.
>>
File: newmap.jpg (76 KB, 800x1000)
76 KB
76 KB JPG
Is GRRMs Song of Ice and fire a good or bad example of worldbuilding?
>>
>>66737945
You could call them Tetragoblins or 'Oblins or something similar, give them a clear similarity to goblins without using the exact same name.

I don't think using goblin directly is too bad for a 4 armed race, though I would probably see it be that goblins with 4 arms are the more advanced or special kinds of goblins as opposed to the standard.

Not the guy you were talking to by the way, just random posting.
>>
>>66740963
>>66741005
>>66741034
>>66741103
This sounds like a great game setting.

Your friends have stupid opinions.

If you made something totally unique they would bitch and whine much louder about how they have to read a whole page of text and that you won't let them play an elf.

Low magic is perfect. Make the travel in the desert part of the challenge but don't go overboard. After a while let them get things to bypass most of the survival trek aspect.

Trying to make it to Mosquito Oasis because sandgators attacked your water supplies during the night is more interesting than 1d4 random encounters.

If you want, you can use water and ration tokens so the players can keep track better.

>>66741167
Both, mostly OK, better than many other published worlds.
The scale is my biggest issue.

The fact that is Not!Europe is an advantage, imo.
>>
>>66737945
4 armed are just elite goblins.
>>
>>66740963
>I had an idea for a D&D setting but my friends basically told me it's way too basic, and already done.
They are not entirely wrong. It does sound like a fairly by-the-numbers Sword and Sorcery setting. However it is very solid foundation to build a kickass setting of exploration and Conan shenanigans. With a little inspiration and personal touches you can have an interesting and entertaining campaign world.

If you think you can bring the players around then you should absolutely keep working on it, maybe they have some ideas about what sort of elements from the genre they might like in the campaign? An unexplored world is a great opportunity to take player input onboard. If they shut it down without any constructive comments then presenting the updated and improved version might be a tough sell.

Low magic and D&D have an uneasy relationship, especially if you allow the PCs to be full on magic users (conversely some players take exception to core classes being off limits or restricted). You can say that wizards are extremely rare but if there are 3 spellcasters in the party all low magic tends mean is that the non-magic classes have fewer items to widen their options and NPCs have fewer countermeasures to PC mages running riot. It can work, but you need to bear in mind what low magic means from a game as well as setting perspective.
>>
>>66741987
>>66741733
Thank you for the replies.
My friends didn't upright ditch the setting, they just say that it's nothing new.

I had some ideas to add, like one of the reasons the great catastrophe happened was due to time travel, so the gods have set up a race of guardian angels that seek and destroy anyone who studies magic to change time, or seeks some artifact to manipulate it. I really liked the Dahaka in Prince of Persia: Edge.
Some paladins follow these deities in their oath.

I don't really like planar travelling, but I was thinking of planting portals far away from civilization that teleport to other planets in the same solar system (or other moons). There, different labirinths and constructions could be built by the first explorers or by things from beyond (aliens). I would love to see the face of the players after explaining to them that the planet they see in the sky is actually their home planet, and they have done space travel. I was thinking of making the main planet have a ring (I know, very goofy). And probably have the solar system have a sun but also a black hole (again, I know some people see this as snowflake material).
I really like cosmic stuff to a degree, so some sort of Wizard "school" would focus on teleporting miniature versions of space material and using it against their enemies (space dust, comets, then planets and later stars).

Rangers would have an easy time fitting into the world, as trained and scarred veterans who act as guides to locations in the unknown.

Warlocks could have patrons in a sentient enormous monster deep in the ocean, a hive mind in the sands, or the usual patrons of D&D.

Some of the people might be descendant of the ancient civilizations, and thus someone could be born a Sorcerer with the blood of a powerful caster from the old world.

Fighters could come from armies, noble houses (impoverished nobles desperate to rebuild their house or sons of nobles seeking something to prove), etc.
>>
>>66742683
>they just say that it's nothing new.
Nothing is new. You can expand upon and introduce depth to something in an interesting way, but it's extremely rare for a summary of a world to not be familiar.
People think they prefer novelty over nuance, always seeking something new, but novelty always wears off after a short while and I'd much rather be immersed in something with substance and charm.
>>
>>66734720
>>66739928
What are these jeweled skeletons called?
>>
File: Udklip.png (223 KB, 997x671)
223 KB
223 KB PNG
Trying to get back into mapping after taking a break
Thoughts? I am still debating size, but I am thinking something like western Europe to France.
>>
>>66742683
>active gods, time travel, space travel, D&D classes
>low magic

I'm starting to think that people say "low magic" when they mean "low npc power"
>>
File: 1464129576912.jpg (1.03 MB, 3780x1713)
1.03 MB
1.03 MB JPG
>>66742683
Sounds a little boring anon and I'm not sure it's because of the content or your lack of excitement about the setting. Work on it, anyway, and once you have a more cohesive version of your world, report back. Right now you're spitballing ideas and convincing yourself of what's good and what isn't.
>>
File: The_Black_Prince_of_Crecy.jpg (413 KB, 1471x1041)
413 KB
413 KB JPG
>>66741167
Good, he just has an issue with scale and time, but at least it's consistent for narrative purposes. It helps that he has dense amounts of lore for almost everything.
>>
>>66743189
Sometimes it is low magic in the current era.
Long ago was the Age of Mighty Stuff Happening.

But yes, you are generally correct.

D20 Modern has it's faults, but the limited spell list for characters is actually pretty good
>>
>>66743137
Bejeweled saints. Catacomb Saints.
>>
>>66734160
I try.
>>
>>66737200
Whoever made it did a good job because it looks very vibrant.
>>
>>66739952
That's why my favorite is 5 because it was crazy enough, but was still somewhat grounded. That's also why I like the designs in Total War.
>>
>>66737086
>Hivemind bugs are so overused.
especially by hiveminds
>>
Where do I get conflict?

I've got a setting with 7 towns, 2 religions, trade and routes all set up. Historically after several hundred years of peace in this community one faction wiped out most of the town that grows most of the food, and every other town had to conscript members to make up the deficit or starve. So at least 5 of these towns lost a significant (to them) population and these desperate groups all went to the farm town to work with the survivors. I have that as ~20 years ago in the setting.

I can't figure out what the fruck to do for conflict though. Like I mapped out every group in a grid and made notes about how each feels about each other group, but like, at the tavern or street level I don't know what that means. More importantly I can't seem to tease a plot hook out of all this past conflict- the whole thing seems really dry and uninspiring at this point.

What do?
>>
>>66746919
I mean, it's kinda easy to do, desu. "Hey, some X-es have been spotted a few days away from town. Let's Y them." or "I'm organizing a small raid party, you interested?" or something, I dunno.
>>
>>66746919
Start over, figure out what conflicts you want and how you want them represented on the level your players will interact with, the build factions and their relationships around that.
>>
>>66743189
>>66744600
Oops wrong post reference.
>>66745323
Hilarious, well played.
>>
>>66746919
I'm kind of tired now but if I understood you right there are some towns with no foods and other with food. I don't see what other kind of ground level conflict you can have beside "these other people are trying to take our shit".
>>
>>66747820
One town grew all the grains and herd animals.
One fishes
One supplies wood
One supplies metal and smithing
One provides both religion and government
One group husbands the forest
One town grows rice and fishes separately for their own needs

So the grain town feeds the government town, and the metal town, supplements what the fish town and forest town can provide (and trade). If there aren't enough people to grow and harvest the grain then everybody goes hungry.
>>
What place on your setting would be a super popular background image?
>>
>>66748310
Maybe the Citadel of Bontful or something. It's a fortress city that was built near the landing of the first of the conquerors in my setting. The most notable aspect about it is the current construction of a massive temple near the center of the city in memory of their god and the prophet that led them to this new land of prosperity.
>>
>>66748310
Thrax. It's a massive, crashed starship missing huge chunks of its hull and internal structure. Sections of it protrude from the sea, and house the last human city. Seen from the shore, it's a collection of overgrown spires supporting an incredibly complex network of platforms and constructions, framed by the rising ribbon of green and blue that's the surface of the world.
>>
>>66740887
>>66740934
I love this already.
How well-versed are the players in history? You could reward them with easter eggs and the like, and have fun all the while in case they don't recognise something.
>>
How would you go about inserting Maximinus Thrax into your setting without making it too obvious?
>>
I was thinking of ideas for hard-ish space opera weaponry. Do you think there's any point to coat missiles in radar-absorbing materials, at random angle and random speed in general direction of the enemy and with engine off, and have it start buring and course-correcting half-way though.

It would give the enemy less time to shoot it down, but I'm not sure if there's any point.
>>
>>66748836
I'd probably have this intimidating former bandit leader be slowly working his way up in some royal/imperial army with some political aspirations of his own.
>>
>>66748310
I'd hope a lot of it actually. The world's supposed to be pretty picturesque.
To give a particular example that I've been working on lately though, there's a desert nation where the terrain is composed of both black and white sand. The white sand is lighter and less plentiful than the black sand, and tends to get blown into striations and dunes. As a result, much of the desert almost looks like it's covered in giant zebra stripes, and can get pretty swirly where the wind patterns are more complicated.
Wearing both a black cloak and a white cloak was a common native tactic to be able to blend into the desert when needed, and influences fashion to this day.
>>
>>66748904
That sounds pretty dang neat, my man!
>>
>>66748836
Who is he?
>>
>>66749000
A roman emperor whose story only survive to our time as some kind of weird 80's movie.
From the top of my head here are the highlights:
>Thracian peasant.
>Supposedly 2,5 m tall.
>Got recruited into the roman army on the spot as a teenager after he easily bested half a dussin of the legions' greatest wrestlers after having spent the better part of the day jogging alongside the emperor's horse.
>Quickly rose through the ranks as he was a great trainer and beloved by the soldiers.
>Becomes military top dog at one of the roman frontiers.
>Promising young emperor comes to visit and inspect the troops.
>Assassinates said emperor and takes his place.
>Runs the roman empire from his frontier barracks.
>Openly scorns the aristocracy.
>After a few years the senate has had enough and rebels.
>Marximinus Thrax marches on italy but leaves a substantial force behind to guard the frontier.
>Never the less, the whole italian peninsula is panicking since they have no real shot at surviving the coming onslaught.
>Surprise twist - Maximinus gets bogged down besieging the first heavily fortified city he comes across.
>The legionaires under his command has had enough and assassinates him in his sleep one night.
>Let's put that head on a pike and send it to senate!
>It barely even manages to reach them before the entire senatorial class has descended into violent infighting over who gets to be the new emperor.
>>
>>66749321
Alright, I can add him. A Dwarven commoner who found success in the army due to being 5'5" and terrifyingly strong. Pissed off his kingdom's aristocracy, took the crown for himself, and then died when his army suffered a cave in. The Dwarves of my setting are far past their prime due to the sort of civil war and infighting he exemplified.
>>
>>66749749
Oh, I can dig that!
>>
bump
>>
File: 1466106114954.jpg (889 KB, 1200x853)
889 KB
889 KB JPG
>>66720409
>>66740948
>>66737707
Okay, I now need to hammer down where the fuck the humans of this world came from. I know I'm going to have their appearance in the New World have happened 40 years ago, but from where? For a little while I've been thinking it was the result of a LotR style high fantasy plot gone HORRIFICALLY wrong, but now I've got options to sort through, and I'd like some help.

>Fantasy Climate Change
Humans dug too greedily and too deep...or just found a cheap source of power that had an unintended downside that fucked them in the end. Main thought for this is they drew upon Necromantic energies that slowly decayed the world around them until it was too late.
>War Between Good And Evil
Sauron won and killed the planet, or at least gave Rohan and Gondor a REALLY good reason to abandon dimension.
>Prophesied Apocalypse
Gotterdamurang occurred, but the locals decided not to stick around long.
>Religious Refugees
Not!Puritans decided to bamf out of a world they saw as flawed and evil.
>Prison Colony
'Stralia, mate. A different world decided to mass-expel an entire nation, or tried to genocide them and it turned out the Mass Disintegrate spell was actually just a 100-mile wide Plane Shift.

Which sounds the most compelling to you?
>>
File: 326969030.jpg (79 KB, 800x449)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>66748756
>How well-versed are the players in history?
Since around here the very start of the 17th century is very central in our history all of them have a very good idea of what architecture, society and most of all warfare looked at the time.
I like the idea of rewarding them with easter eggs but that would only make sense if I make the setting entirely historical...
I could insert some historical characters or copy some historical events here and there for them to recognize it.
I think I will go on with this setting. Thanks to everyone who gave opinion and advice. I'll be laying some groundwork first.
>>
>>66727171
Go with the Dune option and have a secretive trans-national organization like the Bene Geserit that keeps track of the bloodlines and works to influence the marriages between noble families to preserve the superior genes.
>>
>>66751313
Last 2 sound better to me.
>>
How can I introduce giant blood/dna into humans? The more "natural" the solution the better. I was thinking of making these giants a race of smaller giants, or is that dumb?

I guess male humans-female giants would be compatible but male giant-female human seems like a problem. I'm also having trouble imagining male giants being cool with a bunch of smaller dudes fuggin their women.
>>
>>66752691
Human suffers wounds while killing Giant.
Giant blood splashes on open wound.
MAGIC!!
Human and their descendants now have Giant "DNA".
>>
>>66752691
A giant and a human fall in love.
The screen fades to black because you're not a weirdo so the details don't matter. Maybe the players crack a joke or 2.
Later, a half giant baby is born.
>>
>>66752860
thanks, it seems like most of my questions have really simple answers. Appreciate ya pal.
>>
What are some good ways to keep different geographically and culturally distinct without "here be elves" style ethnostates?
>>
>>66753771
Choose each race's "homeland" and make that place almost entirely them. Make the populations bleed out and mix in other places as seems fitting. Have a few very mixed nations with major ports or imperial tendencies. Something like that?
>>
What are some historical ways that pagans explained their diverse gods including multiple gods of the sun, that aren't interpretatio graeca (i.e. Jupiter is Zeus by a different name)? For setting reasons, religions are more cleanly divided and separated.
>>
>>66754348
A common tactic is claiming that the other side is just wrong and foolish.
>>
Starting to make a world, high medieval era, light on magic. Light as in, many people that live outside of "adventuring areas" (adventuring areas are frontiers or mostly just non-large settlements/cities) might not even think magic is real and that "those crazy yokels from the frontier" are just imagining things.

What should the rate for magically inclined people be? 1 in 1k feels like there'd be too many and 1 in 10k feels too little, or am I just imagining it poorly?
>>
>>66754961
Taking the High Middle Ages (c.1000-1300) we get these rough numbers, though of course it varied in that period and there was a trend of rapid growth until famine and plague in the 1300s caused massive population loss.

England: 3 million
France: 15 million
Europe: 70 million

With those as a rough guide, one in ten thousand people being mages will give you 300 in England, 1500 in France and about 7000 across Europe. A more sparesly populated region such as Norway or Scotland might produce 50 mages or less.

50 mages across a large area like Norway with plenty of wilderness is easy to write off as peasant superstion. 1500 in a large and populous country like France is much harder, and small but densely populated regions such as Flanders and Northern Italy cramming hundreds of mages into a well-settled space is much harder.

Perhaps instead of a hard ratio of mages to the general population, it varies depending on environmental factors so the more settled regions are not pumping out hordes of wizards. Giving wizards a reason to avoid cities and stay in the ADVENTURE ZONE, perhaps related to their magic, would help otherwise you would expect at least some of them to attach themselves to kings and merchant princes or ply their trade in the cities.
>>
>>66754348
I don't really understand your question, are you asking about how pagans justify the existance of their own gods, how they explain the existance of other peoples' gods or how they justify the fact that other people have different claims about the divine?
>>
>>66755471
Maybe magic powers unreveal in dire situations (kinda like planeswalker sparks in MTG,if I'm not mistaken on the lore of that) so people in the ADVENTURE ZONE *guitar riff* are more likely to be wizards since they get in danger more often unlike city folk who have the guards and walls that protect them..... Thanks man.
>>
>>66714246
Gaaah. I need help with names. I'm doing a tier system for Aspirants to a religious order I'm making and so far don't have much. Essentially, the Aspirants have to personally go through trials designed after Human technological evolutions (as far as the Order has them). Stone, copper, etc.

As a placeholder I have them called 'Stone Aspirants' and 'Copper Aspirants' but wnat something that sounds a bit better. Help, /tg/, you anons are wise.
>>
>>66756033
>Stone, copper, etc.
I'm gonna need all your divisions, since there are a couple different ways you could have it divided up, and I don't know how far you're going.
>>
>>66756076
Stone Age, Copper Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age (Late roman era I think), Steel Age (Medieval and beyond) Industrial Age, Atomic Modernity (Raygun Gothic era that forgot how to stop). Essentially, The Mechanists (the order) believe the omniverse to be a type of machine. At the center of this is their Goddess, Mechanica, who can see into the machine and connect to divine creation in ways the Mechanists simply can't, but aspire to.

Mechanica is just one of god knows how many deities are in the setting, since it's a larger universe, but the Mechanists are largely similar due to their Codexes being distributed by Mechancia's Angels. The Mechanists have existed since Man first walked semi-upright and began to take down notes (as best they could, anyway) because they heard a voice egging them on to do it. From Stone to Space.

I will also note it's a science fantasy universe, if that helps any.
>>
>>66756116
>>66756076
To expand on this a bit more, The Mechanists have orders dedicated to each age. There's the Eruditi Saxum, the Stone Scholars, who dedicate their lives to the age in a way that keeps them tied to their parent religion. The Eruditi Saxum continue to work and live in a relatively modernist stone age life style, creating small civilizations with stone and primitive technologies as their basis. Each Era has an Order.
>>
>>66756116
>Petran, Eneon , Brount , Sideron, Atsali, Mikani, Atom
I imagine one eligible for a trial would be referred to as an aspirant to the next rank. For instance, if Petran Michael were to become eligible for and interested in the next rank, he could be called Eneon Aspirant Michael. After he completed the trial, he could properly be called Eneon Michael.
Something like that?
>>
>>66756184
..Ya know what that's pretty much perfect.
>>
>>66756477
Glad to help.
>>
>>66756541
You did a whole lot anon. Thanks a bunch!
>>
>>66751882
Godspeed, anon, I'm sure they'll have fun.
>easter eggs
You've just said how to do it, no need to make it entirely historical if you take bits of it.
>>
One sec
>>
>>66759071
We've all waited far longer than a second about now.
>>
>>66756033
https://donjon.bin.sh many name generation options

google translate (rame = copper, pietra = stone (Italian))

age of rame, age of pietra
>>
File: file.png (16 KB, 952x169)
16 KB
16 KB PNG
>>66759071
bruh
>>
>>66760252
Yeah what I pitched him were tweaked translations into Greek.
>>
>>66748310
The first would be Castle Celestino, a fortress on an artificial island in the capital of Ascania. With its docking spire for airships and ornithopters, the Blue Jewel can service anything airborne, and its extensive docks bustle with activity day and night. The castle's 600 year old (and the world is 1700), and has endured everything from not!Kaiju attacks to sieges to the time the Pact tried to ram an airship full of bioweapons into it.
The second would be Bernabei Power Station, now repurposed into Battery 23-A. In its initial configuration, the massive power generator used a gate to the ideal world as an infinite source of ignicules, which would decay and heat up water for turbines. The portal would constantly "trickle" ignicules to provide a steady stream of power.
Its current configuration is also capable of sending short pulses of the particles, which are then channelled through a conduit and fired as an anti-thopter and airship weapon. Since the decay time of ignicules is known, it's possible to make them decay exactly where needed thanks Meson Accelerator and thus create a massive, pinpoint-accurate explosion thanks Stonehenge that ignores most forms of armour.
The third would be Ralossus, capital of the Pact, a mountain which came into being when Owain ascended to godhood and fucked it up by getting split into three. He stepped into the crop-nurturing machine used by the elven kingdom and tried to absorb the very concept of power, but the machine failed halfway through because he miscalculated and induced a small cataclysm. The capital and the earth on which it stood rose up some 15km into the air, instantly killing 3/4 of its people. The newly-born Avatar put the blame on the king and priest caste and usurped power. The entire mountain is a gigantic collection of magic circles, but they can't be used all at once due to internal conflicts.
>>66759300
>>66760262
I had shit to do ree
>>
File: gng map1.jpg (2.46 MB, 2550x3300)
2.46 MB
2.46 MB JPG
Me again >>66720409

So I have a new issue. I want my humans to have been exiled from their homeworld to the current setting, ala Australia (see here >>66751313). The main idea floating around my head is that a Peasant Revolt grew into a full-blown Revolution. Sic Semper Tyranis and all that jazz. A 20 year war enveloped the continent, but in the end the Rebellion failed. The reason I'm going with at the moment for why the Kings and Emperors didn't immediately genocide the survivors was because the ideals of the revolution had spread, and the nobility realized they'd make martyrs of the original rebels, and would never see the end of this revolutionary nonsense. So, as a compromise, they had their wizards construct a gateway to another dimension and forced the rebels, random civilians, and political enemies of the new regime into the portal before smashing it behind them.

But now I'm having second thoughts. Does the logic seem sound? Or is there a better way to get a breeding population of humans kicked offworld but not killed?
>>
Bump.
>>
>>66764853
Isn''t thsi thread already above the bump limit?
>>
>>66764903

No, the limit is 310.
>>
What's a good name for an insectoid siege beast that relies on caustic secretions to melt its targets? It's around 30 metres tall, with the ability to spit its melty thing from the mouth, six limbs of which the two anteriors are modified into chelae.
>>
>>66764933
what kind of insectoid? Beetle, ant, weevil, etc?
>>
>>66762869
Seems like a lot of wasted effort. Does this really justify using the mages' time? I'd think the king or emperor would simply crush them decisively and make an example out of them, plus if slavery is part of society they'd put the survivors to work. Smart men would also realize that out of sight isn't necessarily out of mind.
>>
>>66762869
Random happenstance Convergence. For some reason (explain it if you really want) the planes started merging together. But this was a temporary thing thankfully, but during the process of unmerging some humans got stuck in the other plane.
>>
>>66764988
Antlion, but just a bit slimmer. It's grey and green with red eyes.
>>
>>66765147
Acid Sapper?
Grey Tunnel Horror?
Causkelion?
Crimson Eye Stone Boiler?
You could also name it after its nationality or region. IE: North African Sand Blaster.
>>
>>66717473
Uh. So you're saying the noble good guys are the ones who want to callously eliminate the souls of every living being because they think self recognition leads to unhappiness, despite people wanting to live?
And you're calling the ones who want to make sure everyone actually has a soul and self identity that they can ascend WITH somehow the bad guys when they're the ones who aren't pushing a nihilistic suicide cult upon everyone and everything, nor making people disappear in into a formless blob mass of lowest common demoninator with no hope for distinction or improvement in existence?
>>
>>66765408
I love these, thank you anon. I owe you one.
>>
File: 1402031496454.jpg (67 KB, 344x660)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>66765068
>>66765140
Well, shit. I guess I got to think of some other idea. I guess I should look into Religious Refugees (ala Puritans/Cathars/Hussite/etc) choosing to voluntarily leave or a climate-style disaster necessitates the plane shift.

Religion is touchy, since I like to allow plenty of room for player choice in that sort of thing. And the idea of a religious minority self-exiling itself to have a lenient view on religious dogma doesn't seem likely. Or am I looking at it wrong? And anything as dire as climate change an equally unstoppable threat needs some development as well.

Thoughts?
>>
>>66765766
Could you go with what you were planning, except one of the exiles was the one who did the magic to help everyone escape?
Or you could have everyone be the descendants of an explorative colony that didn't expect to get cut off when they arrived.
>>
File: 1422324512880.jpg (133 KB, 1000x565)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>66765950
>Or you could have everyone be the descendants of an explorative colony that didn't expect to get cut off when they arrived.
I actually like this idea. Sort of a Stargate Atlantis type thing. What do you suppose the reason for the cut off is? If it's just an accident, then there's the chance they'll re-establish contact, which I don't want. It could be that they were on the brink of a Great War or Hot War if going with a fantasy nuclear analogy. The Old World might very well be consumed in Eldritch Fire.
>>
>>66766051
Those are the sorts of questions I reccommend leaving open. Your players wouldn't know from their end and wouldn't find out unless you decided to end the story arc with that, at which point you could decide. Especially since you're trying to be mysterious, right?
>>
>>66766175
Yeah, but as the worldbuilder I should have an answer for myself.
>>
>>66766230
I disagree, and think trying to answer all the questions in your setting is a common bad habit.
>>
>>66766245
Hm. I'll take your advice then. Thank you.
>>
File: iIhSsfr.jpg (376 KB, 1920x2716)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
>>66766230
>>66766245
Depends on the situation. You should have some answers for the most important stuff, at the very least an idea, but you want to leave enough space for things to grow on their own as well. Honestly it helps knowing what isn't an answer to a particular problem or mystery, at least for me.
>>
File: 1471200594983.jpg (64 KB, 736x800)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
Not world building but race building question: How can I avoid turning races into a tool for min-maxers or pidgeonholing into certain roles?
For example, if I give Orcs increased strength compared to humans, players going with a martial character will likely pick them.
>>
>>66767485
Give them a drawback to offset the boon? Yes they are stronger, but also take more damage? Or are culturally opposed to violence? Or are fiercely nocturnal and thus sluggish and half blind during the day?
>>
>>66767485
You can get rid of the idea that this is inherently bad. If orcs are stronger and therefore more likely to be martials, that would have just as much of an effect in-universe as with your players.
There are 3 sorts of players, definitively: Optimizers, who try to play the best they can; Janky Fucks, who try and make something work that shouldn't; and those who care about neither of these. Literally any understandable game with choices will produce disparity between these groups. It is impossible to have meaningful game choices and not produce differences. You can only try to make the differences not so great that reasonable people can't compete at all and have fun.
>>
>>66765456

Not noble intentions, more like, no real intention at all except cold logic kind of trope.

In fact, i didn't really put any true tragic noble anti-hero plot in the setting for now.
>>
File: Fenlon 22 .jpg (843 KB, 1600x1220)
843 KB
843 KB JPG
>>
File: 1534573112040.png (5.65 MB, 3023x3416)
5.65 MB
5.65 MB PNG
>>66767485
Just give them drawbacks. An orc is strong and hearty sure, it makes sense they would be a popular choice for martial classes. But they lack skill and finesse, which leaves the door open for more dexterous races in martial classes.
>>
>>66767832
/this
very well said. the biggest thing to remember is that stereotypes are fine in regards to race/class combos but exceptions exist and, as pc's exceptions are fine/encouraged and should be rewarded by npc intrigue and well planned RP chances. no one bats an eye at a human wizard, but an orc wizard is a thing to remember. Look at skyrim's librarian, one of the most based characters in ES history and memorable because of not only his attitude but his race AND THATS FINE.
>>
>>66767622
>>66767832
>>66768042
>>66768114
Thanks guys, I will take those to heart and rethink my ideas.
>>
Friday doldrums bump.
>>
File: dancouga badguy.jpg (376 KB, 519x3500)
376 KB
376 KB JPG
I just wanted to post this
>>
>>66771106
Nice.
>>
>>66748836

The amount of people who know who Diocletian is is rare enough. Let alone Aurelian, let alone Thrax. You're fine if you literally have him named Taximinius Mhrax.
>>
New thread in the works!
>>
There we go!
>>66772954
>>66772954
>>66772954
>>
>>66767485
I dunno how feasible it would be to add to the game but regarding your example some sort of endurance penalty could be a nice offset to to their strong martial prowess meaning that while orcs make exceptional shock troops, they tire quickly and thus make reduced damage for each round of combat.
As a comparison, IRL the gauls were famous warriors and were widely recruited as mercenaries throughout the mediterranean. However, they tended to struggle against disciplined opposition in a prolonged fight, meaning that if they didn't break the foe by the charge or soon thereafter they soon found themselves in an uphill battle.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.