[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

>Unearthed Arcana: Artificer v2
https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-Artificer2-2019.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread:
>>66251872

Squad goals edition

You've got full reign over what characters you and the rest of your party play for your next campaign. All party members are acceptable D&D players to you and will play whatever sheet you give them. How do you make your perfect party?
>>
>>66256458
>TQ
Alright fellas, the top tier 100% pure Kino goblinoid party.
>Hobgoblin BM Fighter, acts as party leader, S&B. In command and in control
>Hobgoblin Evoker Wizard, high-offense blaster caster, abuses Sculpt Spells for asymmetric artillery, 2nd in command, battle-planner and tactician
>Bugbear Zealot Barbarian, 2h GWM, dedicated to Maglubiyet, extremely wild in combat, largely kept in control by:
>Hobgoblin Order Cleric, servant of Maglubiyet, serves as chaplain, healer, and party support. 3rd in command.
>Goblin Scout Rogue, scouts and gathers information, reports to Wizard. Fights with a shortbow in combat
>Hobgoblin Shadow Monk, member of the Iron Shadows. Serves as an assassin and spy, reports directly to Fighter. Confers with Cleric regularly to send messages back to HQ, as Iron Shadows serve as Hobgoblin Stasi.
>Nilbog (Goblin Glamour Bard): haha, him? he's just a jester who loiters around the camp. kind of funny though, we bring him on missions and he insults people to death. Oh god oh fuck, he learns Synaptic Static? Oh fuck did he just Feeblemind the BBEG?
>>
I give them empty sheets and tell them to make their own characters.
That's how the best parties play out
>>
>>66256485
Based and goblinpilled
>>
>>66256458
human fighter, elf wizard, dwarf cleric, and halfling rogue
>>
>>66256485
>goblin rogue
Don't do that. You're wasting nimble escape by getting cunning action. Goblins are better as fighters, monks, or basically anything else. I know it looks flavorful, but you're negating the race's biggest feature.
>>
>>66256485
LET ME IN
>>
Which part of campaign creation do you struggle with DM/GMs? For me it's always the start, like where do these characters come together and why? After that the story kind of comes to me and I am able to plan ahead a lot easier, create events, villains, encounters, etc. But starting is always the hardest...
>>
File: Oath of Valour.jpg (136 KB, 791x693)
136 KB
136 KB JPG
>>66256458
I'm putting together a homebrew paladin Oath for a player. How do you guys see this stuff? If there was a player using this in your group, would you feel as though they were unbalanced or likely to show you up?
>>
>>66256458
Any of you do a TES campaign? I found a game and I’m pretty pumped
>>
>>66256458
Kinda what >>66256485 said. I'd probably just make them all pick typical goon races for a comical "evil" campaign.
>>
>>66256458
All barbarian lawful neutral party of raiders who go around extorting city states for fun and profit
>>
>>66256598
>free action
no
beacon of courage is fucked, at least make it give temporary hp
>>
File: 1550863719609.jpg (20 KB, 243x216)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Should I multiclass as a revised UA STR beastmaster at level 6? I'm running Sentinel and picked wolf as my companion.
>inb4 artificer better than beastmaster in every way
A cold steel construct does not replace a fuzzy friend.
>>
>>66256678
UA revised ranger is unbelievably frontloaded. It's prime value multiclassing
>>
>>66256591
>where do these characters come together and why
People worry about this so much but it's such a non-isue.
You're in a [Vehicle] and you're going to [Place].
Then you make the player write in their backstory why they're in that vehicle.
>>
>>66256578
I gave up on trying to optimize any of these because the hobgoblin racial stats are dogshit for everything but Wiz and Artificer.
>>
>>66256719
There's a difference between optimizing and completely negating the only feature that makes the race worth taking, anon.
>>
>>66256598
>Destructive Wave and Holy Weapon on the spell list
Don't just cherry pick the best spells, do something interesting with the expanded spell list.

>Free action
Doesn't exist in game terms. That's a 3.5-ism
>Heroic Surge
So for 1 minute, every short rest, I can do 3 attacks per turn... on a class with on-hit damage... with access to divine smite...
If I dual wield with this feature, I'm looking at getting off 2 divine smites a turn on average. That's a but much.

>Beacon of Courage
This is a bit overpowered, and it's the worse of the two options.

>Aura of Valour
Uhh... that's already on the paladin base chassis.
>>
>>66256458
I really want to play in an all Artificer Party

The Soldier Battlesmith, who seen too much of war, his fellow soldier & Alchemist friend who was a frontline nurse & raised by the church (Acolyte)
Joining them is a mad inventor Artillerist who flunked wizard college for poor social skills & not giving a damn about the safety policy (Hermit) & lastly an Archivist who writes forgeries & follows criminal pursuits (Charlatan)
>>
>>66256748
it's not like picking rogue will make the bonus go away. you're not negating anything, you're just making it redundant
>>
>>66256591
Making the story about them and their choices. It can be difficult to predict how they'll ask and frame the events of the story, especially if it doesn't accurately reflect the events as I "know" them.

For example, the party was tasked by the empress to find her stepdaughter. The princess and the party both know the empress wants her dead. The princess ran into the safety of a pirate gang, along with her retainer (strong in his own right). The party tried to convince the retainer that the empress was "safer" for the princess than the pirates, arguing that, despite keeping her safe for months and months, the pirates were not trustworthy. I just had the retainer ignore their words and start combat, but it didn't feel like the right course of action.
>>
>>66256768
sounds fun
>>
>>66256624
Yes, but /5eg/ is just for rules and builds. You’ll probably have to wait until the weekend tes thread
>>
>>66256748
Fine, make the Rogue a Ranger if you want. The difference is negligible.
>>
>>66256624
If you wanted to do a real TES campaign you'd have to overhaul the whole magic system. Are you overhauling the whole magic system, anon?
>>
File: Dark_Elf_Trilogy[1].png (137 KB, 350x200)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
Worth a read?
>>
>>66256804
>Goblins make Rangers actually usable
Not that anon but I'd argue it's not negligible.
>>
>>66256774
Yeah, it's a small race with great stats, 30ft walking, and darkvision, there are worse choices even if nimble escape is made redundant by cunning action.
>>
>>66256624
What’s the homebrew rules?
>>
>>66256804
Thanks, anon, you make my heart sing.
>>
>>66256829
I mean the difference to the party's cohesiveness and composition. Both work narratively.
>>
>Wizards and Sorcerers can get a swim speed with Alter Self
>Druids can transform into aquatic creatures for a swim speed
>Warlocks can take an invocation for swim speed starting level 5
>the only option for a martial to get a swim speed is the barbarian with a magic aura
Why is swimming so hard for martials?
>>
>>66256911
Play a Sea Elf. Problem solved.
>>
>>66256591
Yeah. The players often want to make selfish asshole characters, but then it's very hard to get them to commit to a party and the interpersonal conflicts that entails for characters.

The easiest route to success on that front I've seen is to make the world overtly hostile and pc-phobic.

>>66256911
Swimming without a swim speed is just difficult terrain or an athletics check senpai.
>>
>>66256911
There's always downtime training but it does depend on your DM.
>>
>>66256911
If someone has water walk that's enough for a whole party.
>>
>>66256807
>>66256851
I’m not sure what my DM is doing. I’d be fine with just refluffing Faerûn stuff to Tamriel stuff, but it’d be awesome if the DM homebrews
>>
>>66256911
>How come these classes can spend resources/customization to do thing, when I cannot
>>
>>66256971
Sea Elf Shark Totem Barbarian using a Trident.
>>
>>66257013
I could see cool refluffs like a Hexblade if the Ebon Blade, etc.
>>
>>66256763
>Don't just cherry pick the best spells, do something interesting with the expanded spell list.
Destruction Wave is actually kinda there as a placeholder. I just need to find something to fit the theme.

>So for 1 minute, every short rest, I can do 3 attacks per turn... on a class with on-hit damage... with access to divine smite...
If I dual wield with this feature, I'm looking at getting off 2 divine smites a turn on average. That's a but much.
Do you think it would be more acceptable were the character unable to apply their Divine Smite to the bonus attack?

>This is a bit overpowered, and it's the worse of the two options.
Would you say it's the range or the amount of healing that makes it overpowered?

>Uhh... that's already on the paladin base chassis.
Oh shit, you're right. I forgot that was there, I thought it was one of the Oath auras.
>>
>>66256911
You sink in plate too
>>
>>66256911
Trained in Athletics you shit
>>
File: images (1).jpg (15 KB, 259x194)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>66256768
>>
>>66257066
Oh, just to add to this: part of the Oath, as requested by the player, is that the character cannot use ranged weapons or attack spells.
>>
>>66257101
>>66256989
>athletics
Nothing in the rules says athletics removes any of the disadvantages of underwater movement without a swimming speed (i.e. weapon limitations, half movement/a third movement in difficult terrain); it's only listed as a discretionary option for being able to swim through rough waters at all.
>>
Running something akin to elemental evil/ princes of the apocalypse

My players straight up murder elemental cultist in the middle of town without provocation, in the all faith shrine in a town that preaches religious freedom before the cultist did anything evil. I kinda let it slide but I really felt it was murder, you can't go around killing people just because they worship evil gods right?
>>
>>66256458
Can we never get an OP like this again?
I hate these extremely lame party pictures.
>>
>>66257184
PUNISH THEM
>>
Whats the best way to make a Firefighter build? I'm thinking some kind of cleric. Either Forge to resist heat or Nature to have a better connection to water
>>
>>66257216
That seems oddly vindictive, I'd rather they just not treat it like a video game where they can kill everything for exp and drops.
>>
>>66257087
Sauce?
>>
>>66257208
explain
>>
>>66257243
Yea exactly and you should teach them that by PUNISHING THEM
>>
>>66257243
So punish them. Video games have a game over, throw them in jail for awhile, confiscate their gold etc.

Otherwise they will just see a dm who doesn't have the ovarian fortitude to reign in them being murderhobos
>>
I'm a DM, I run an online group. I don't want to run it anymore because the group is silly, everyone just wants to meme and fuck around. Do I just block everyone on discord?
>>
>>66257293
No you fucking doofus, tell them you're not enjoying the game and are considering leaving and explain your reasons why. Maybe they'll shape up, if not, get out.
>>
>>66257222
Likely a storm sorcerer with control flames. You miss out on create water but I don't see it as essential when you can flexible casting the water sorc spells.
>>66257243
Yes, but they won't do that unless you show them that indiscriminant murderhoboery has consequences. It's time for overpowered guard statblocks.
>>
File: 1556627596405.jpg (50 KB, 900x813)
50 KB
50 KB JPG
>>66257184
>you can't go around killing people just because they worship evil gods right?
OF COURSE YOU CAN YOU FUCKING DUMBASS, IF ANYTHING YOU SHOULD
>>
>>66257293
Just tell them that you are unable to DM anymore because your job now requires you to work at session hours and you don't have any more free time.
Ask if somebody else wants to DM and they will flee like rabbits.
If you just block everyone, chances are word will spread around and more decent people won't want to play with you.
>>
>>66257317
seems a bit too confrontational for me, I don't want them to change, I just want a different group.
>>
I'm making a kobold bard of glamour for a One-shot , what is an expected performance if you heard there was a kobold bard in town?
>>
>>66257243
Actively worshipping evil incarnate shod be reason enough to make sure you never see another day
>>
>>66257342
We don't allow it in real life, so why would it necessarily be allowed in D&Dland?
>>
>>66257359
>Just tell them that you are unable to DM anymore because your job now requires you to work at session hours and you don't have any more free time.

Perfect
>>
>>66257087
Not in 5e.
>>
File: 1285877373365.jpg (12 KB, 300x279)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>DM refers to his fantasy world as "back then"
red flag
>>
>>66257361
That's a shitty attitude. If you're so milquetoast you can't talk to your players as an adult then you clearly aren't cut out for being a Dm. That's some 5 year old with a Gameboy level problem solving.
>>
>>66257373
Satanists aren't nearly the same thing, they're just retarded and delusional and the thing they worship doesn't exist so they're not threatening anything
>>
>>66257397
Wrong fucking thread you troglodyte
>>
>>66257342
So why don't you go kill a bunch of Satan worshipers?
>>
Any suggestions for a good flaw for an ex-noble, now-blackmailer rogue who plots vengeange on his brother?
>>
>>66257373
This is not a perfect world
>>
>>66257429
>>66257413
>>
>>66257413
I think he's talking about the Nation of islam
>>
How do I roleplay in combat?

I swear it's like a switch in my brain. Out of combat I can RP fine but as soon as we roll initiative I act like I'm just playing fantasy XCOM and it makes me feel shitty. I avoid telling other players what to do but holy shit it's a hard thing to fight down when I know we could have won this like six rounds ago. That and my own 'emotes' on my turn are boring as fuck and any reactions I have are purely out of character.
>>
>>66257452
In that case it's because the world is falling apart and we're supposed to tolerate them
>>
>>66257266
It’s under the armor rules or swimming rules. I’m not home and don’t have a PHB with me right now
>>
>>66257413
I'm not talking about Satanists, they don't even believe in a literal Satan.

Christians, Jews, Muslims, and many Hindu sects all worship very evil gods. Same goes for ancient Hellenistic religion.
>>
>>66257478
I'm gonna let you in on a little secret, anon, it isn't.
>>
You can't kill cultist just because their god is "Evil" in order to be evil one must commit an act of evil. Also it's not strictly speaking illegal to be Evil. You can be Lawful Evil and protected by courts and law enforcement. Just because you are evil, doesn't mean you are stupid.
>>
File: 1555692332151.png (72 KB, 230x230)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>66257482
>Christians
>>
>>66257373
>pray to satan for years
>get nothing

>pray to the god of death that lives in the depths of the abyss by sacrificing a child
>receive the power to launch rays of power from your fingertips, to summon demons and other abominations, and to cast any kind of illusion or wondrous power two times every hour

It should specially be allowed in D&Dland, at the very least with proof.
>>
>>66257499
>Yes, I actively worship tiamat goddess of destruction and patiently wait the day she comes and kills all the infedels
>WAIT WHY DID YOU DRAW YOUR SWORD WHAT DID I DO
>>
>>66256591
I find it hard to start a new villain after the old one has been defeated.
>"Yeah, that beholder that was a huge deal for 8 levels? Now there's a lich."
It more has to do with causing adventures to lead up to the big bad rather than just throwing him into the mix.
>>
File: 1365812965578.jpg (17 KB, 411x292)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>players figure out a way to bypass your big fight
Do you let them win unceremoniously or do you railroad them towards the cool setpiece you prepared?

>players figure out a way to trivialize your encounter (or get lucky with rolls)
Do you change it on the spot to make it challenging or do you let them have an easy win?
>>
>>66257512
>by sacrificing a child

You don't need to partake in human sacrifice to worship evil gods. Also if a satanist sacrifices a baby and gets nothing he is still evil. You can worship evil gods and not have committed evil acts.
>>
File: 1554519030159.png (432 KB, 700x700)
432 KB
432 KB PNG
>>66257482
>Christians
>>
File: up9ajc6xjvx21.jpg (1.06 MB, 2025x3500)
1.06 MB
1.06 MB JPG
>>66257268
What explanation do you even need?
Nothing highlights just how bad the design direction of D&D has gotten than "modern" party art for the game.

It took a steep nosedive in 4e thanks to the terrible art direction, and 5e has gone further down the route of "random and bland", with parties that look like they're filled with nothing but unlikable shitheads created by people without any sense of creativity.
>>
>>66257512
Who says they worship by sacrificing a child?

Let's say they worship a god of slaughter and bloodlust. They are employed as a soldier, and revere their god by dedicated their deeds in battle and bog standard prayers to this deity. Are they out of line? Are they even evil, despite worshiping an evil deity?
>>
>>66257520
>>Yes, I actively worship tiamat goddess of destruction and patiently wait the day she comes and kills all the infedels

Muslims literally believe this and we dont kill them.
>>
>>66257468
The dm can do a lot of it for you. Ideally you just say what action you'd like to take, roll the appropriate dice and the dm narrates the outcome.
But then again, if combat is just grinding out a bunch of hit points from nondescript random enemies then there's not a lot of roleplay opportunities.

Just get in to the habit of saying
>I attack the goblin with my sword
or similar and I'd say that's adequate.
>>
File: 1355843935601.png (248 KB, 418x417)
248 KB
248 KB PNG
>>66257422
I'm not a troglodyte
>>
>>66257566
The west is falling for a reason
>>
>>66257549
>DM is shown as someone wearing a dark cloak
FUCKING STOP YOU GODDAMN ROBOTS GET SOME CREATIVITY
>>
>>66257506
>>66257543
>hey guys, you should kill those other tribes, slaughter all their men and rape all their women
>but i'm good because i also say love thy neighbor
>slavery is still fine btw
Yahweh is pretty evil by D&D standards.
>>
>>66257478
This isn't /3.5eg/ ya goof.
>>
>>66257499
>in order to be evil one must commit an act of evil
Devils and demons are inherently evil from their inception.
>>
>>66257551
Exactly, you cant just go around killing people based on which imaginary friend they pray to. To kill someone in the middle of town, in broad daylight in a shrine, with people watching, they offered no resistance, they had no weapons, they were just preaching the end of the world, is an act that is at the very least illegal if not evil.

It will however depend on the laws of the city. Even if they are guilty of worshiping the wrong gods there is a system of law. You break the law at your own peril.
>>
>>66257625
Sure, but we're not talking about devils or demons, are we?
>>
>>66257635
We're talking about the people who actively help and sustain them
>>
>>66257468
I like to give brief descriptions of my attacks and put some flair and panache into them. Some examples could be
"I do a rising slash into his armpit"
"With my first attack I punch him in the stomach, and with my second I elbow him in the head"
"I disengage and leap over the table, throwing a dagger at him as I fly"
Simple stuff can add a lot more to image than the "I hit stuff" rock-em-sock-em robots shit
>>
>>66257625
We are talking about human cultist. Also, I think the better point is that one can be lawfully evil, therefore protected by the law of a city. Just killing members of the population without just cause isn't going to fly.
>>
>>66257632
These friends aren't imaginary in dnd, they're real and have a true grasp on the world
They're still evil
>>
>>66257644
Do they? Evil gods and demons/devils aren't synonymous in D&D.
>>
So thought a tempest cleric would be pretty cool to play but as I was building it I noticed it lacks a very class flavorful cantrip: Lightning lure.

I want access to this awesome ability for the displacement potential and interactions with class features. Is it worth it to go magic initiate or just dip into wiz/sorc? Are they any other ways to get it?
>>
>>66257644
and? They're committing an act of evil. That makes them evil. They weren't evil as babies.
The only people I would call inherently evil are psycho/sociopaths
>>
>>66257681
They're evil now, which is more than enough reason to remove them from existence
>>
>>66257657
You still killed a bunch of unarmed people in the middle of town in broad daylight. How are you going to prove they broke the law, or that you were in the right to kill them to law enforcement, who by not arresting them are giving them passive consent to preach.
>>
File: 1541202313131.png (545 KB, 640x640)
545 KB
545 KB PNG
>>66257661
>scagtrips
>>
>>66257661
I wouldn't dip for a single cantrip. I'd also talk to my DM if he just wants to hand it to me or if I could get some in-game character quest to gain it
>>
Would it be acceptable to kill an adherent of Ares for being an adherent of Ares?
>>
>I debate religion seriously on /5eg/
>>
>>66257733
theology is an amazing niche concept that is criminally underused in DND to the point of being overruned by fedoracores
>>
>>66257733
Fuck off, we're discussing something in relation to D&D mechanics.
>>
>>66257721
Out in the wilderness where no one can see? Sure.

In broad daylight in the middle of town? Probably not.

>>66257733
More about if you can kill things that are evil, but have not broken the law.

IMO, you report them to the authorities and see what they have to say about it. Self defense is the only reason to fight in a city if you are law-abiding .
>>
>>66257700
So killing Demogorgon by attacking him while he's with his guard down and unable to defend himself is somehow bad?
>Are giving them passive consent for speech
If the entire town is ok with objective evil thriving and being worshipped in the open day then it should be burned to the ground
>>
>>66257754
>5e mechanics specifically tied to alignment
All two of them?
>>
How’s gunplay in 5e? I want to play a fantasy western
>you all meet in a saloon...
>>
>>66257661
Lightning lure specifically is annoying because your caster stat for it cannot be wis unless you're an arcana cleric.
Sorc1/clericx is a good character, especially nature cleric for shillelagh.
Vhuman for magic initiate will get you a first level wiz spell like find familiar.
You can be a high elf as well.

You have a lot of options, although none of them are optimized specifically for lightning lure. Booming blade on the other hand, very optimal.
>>
>>66257790
Play another system, unironically
>>
>>66257751
>>66257754
t.
>>
>>66257774
You keep comparing unarmed HUMAN CULTIST, with walking devils and demons of wanton destruction. If Demogorgon is somewhere, he is fucking shit up.

It's literally a town of religious freedom.
>>
>>66257777
there are two mechanics specifically tied to alignment?
>>
>>66257790
If I recall, the DMG has gun rules, but they're basically just loud crossbows.
>>
>>66257764
>Out in the wilderness where no one can see? Sure.
Even then I'd consider that spotty. Historically the Greeks paid tribute to Ares when they needed skill in battle. He was definitely evil, but you didn't have to be evil to worship him.
>>
>>66257764
>More about if you can kill things that are evil, but have not broken the law.
but if you can tell something is inherently evil, and not in the vague sense of our worlds definition of evil, but by D&D definition, you are doing all non-evil beings a favor by killing an evil being.
They are evil. it is in their nature to do evil. They will eventually do, or have already done something evil. 'evil' isn't an abstract concept in the D&D world, it is essentially a "bad guy" label.
There's no debate to be had.
>>
>>66257815
Humans in dnd are capable of the greatest evils, its literally said in the book
Either way demons as you said are walking engines of destruction and mayhem, being ok with this and supporting them is abhorrent
Sooner or later those "peaceful" cultists WILL fuck shit up the second their God needs them
>>
>>66257855
I'm not too boned up on Greek mythos but I recall reading somewhere that worshiping Greek gods was more like trying not to be cursed rather than trying to be blessed, most of them were fucking dickheads.
>>
>>66257856
A fine enough speech from a the perspective of GOOD. However, a LAWFUL entity would say that Evil entities have a right to peaceful existence so long as they let others live peacefully and only lose that right when the behave or commit acts that break the law as society has set.

So if the society you are in tolerates evil beings until they break the law, you have no right to kill them.
>>
>>66257936
That society is clearly fucked and has no idea what they're doing
>>
>>66256711
>>66256678
you can if you really want. but the issue is your beast bud doesn't get more Hit Dice if you MC out. so he dies really fast at higher levels.
>>
>>66257936
an evil being is evil because:
It has committed an evil act
It will commit an evil act
otherwise it is not evil by D&D definition.
>>
>>66257955
Literally every country on Earth works that way. Except for the ones you would never want to live in.
>>
>>66257972
So you are in agreement that you can't go around beheading cultist of an evil god just because they are cultist. You need probable cause they have done something evil.
>>
>>66257790
Remember your varieties of cover and that going prone gives disadvantage on being hit and it’s not bad. Gunfights are much more fun for Martials than sword fights
>>
>>66257976
It IS a clown world after all
>>
Why exactly do we need alignments?
>>
>>66257997
Why are they worshipping evil if they aren't evil
If they actually are evil they will become dangerous sooner or after
>>
>>66257976
point is, and this is what you don't seem to understand, is D&D evil is not the same as our worlds evil. Evil can be subjective. Evil is abstract. the best definition of evil for us would be someone who commits crimes or atrocities without remorse or for pleasure.
In D&D it is quite literally a label. An evil creature in D&D already HAS committed a crime or WILL commit a crime, otherwise it is not EVIL.
>>
>>66258005
so paladins can feel good about themselves when they out an evil party member and smite them to kingdom come
>>
>>66258005
VERY good question
>>
>>66258008
see >>66257855
>>
>>66258005
Character consistency.
>>
>>66258005
So we can have at least some guidelines that define our character so we can't just asspull 'it's what my character would do'.
Without alignments, you would see a massive surge of characters who are the stereotypical chaotic stupid
>>
>>66258008
so an example in DND where good people worship an evil god is Umberlee being worshiped so she doesn't fuck up islanders and people out on the sea.
>>
>>66257971
Doesn't it get hit die at any level with UA revised ranger?
>>
I'm undecided on a 4th level spell for my GOO tomelock. I like to try and keep my spells thematic, with my character mostly being built around mental fuckery; though I'm open to others.
Any suggestions?
>>
>>66257999
I think you just have to admit that LAW and ORDER is higher up on the cosmic hierarchy than GOOD and EVIL. You may commit an act of good and still break the law and have law enforcement come after you.

>>66258008
You can say the same of all Humans, good or evil.

>>66258010
I do understand, I also understand if you break Waterdeep law under the banner of good, they will still lock you up.

Just because you do Good, does not mean you do Justice. There are procedures, laws, courts, judges and juries. Anyone who takes life outside of these systems better have a damned good defense when their court date comes. Vigilantism is not tolerated by the LAW.
>>
>>66258031
giving praise or a prayer to an evil god doesn't make you evil. Being a priest or cultist of one does.
One prays for a favor by the god for personal benefit
The other wants to do the will of said god
>>
>>66258058
hallucinatory terrain
>>
>>66257955
You like the thought police?
>>
>>66258057
I guess it's a little ambiguous. It says "For each level you gain after 3rd, your animal companion gains an additional hit die and increases its hit points accordingly." To me, that "after 3rd" clause suggests that it's referring to your ranger level.

If your DM rules that it isn't (I probably would rule that it is), then hell yeah go take Fighter levels instead so you can get Extra Attack
>>
>>66258068
>>66258052
>>
>>66258046
But this doesn't happen in systems without alignment, why would it start happening in d&d?
>>
>>66258061
>I think you just have to admit that LAW and ORDER is higher up on the cosmic hierarchy than GOOD and EVIL.
No it's not
Lawful evil is still fucking dangerous to the world and one of the most hideous and horrible creatures to have ever existed is the pit fiend, who is LAWFUL
>>
File: Alignments.png (457 KB, 448x1055)
457 KB
457 KB PNG
>>66258094
Reminder that LE is one of the best alignments if you do it right.
>>
>>66258094
The difference between angles and demons largely depends on where one is standing at a particular time. The law however is rock solid, immutable, crystal clear and transparent to all. If one is chaotic in their good, they are law breakers that must be brought back into the fold of justice by lash and whip.
>>
>>66256458
>no shiteyes, only blue-eyed aryans on OP
based
>>
>>66258127
gonna be playing a LE character soon, bretty excited
>>
>>66258058
Banishment, dimension door and sickening radiance are all pretty justifiable and strong.
>>
>>66258150
>green, red and purple are now blue
>>
>>66257531

if they won you let them win
if you wanted a big fight that the heros had to face, write a book

removing player agency is the first step on the path towards murderhobos
>>
>>66258071
why?
>>
>>66258235
it's a decent spell that fits your theme
alternatively you can just grab shadow of moil like every other warlock out there
>>
What refluff/flair are you the most proud of?
>>
>>66258319
Every single rapier refluff on a dex character I've made
Fuck rapiers
>>
>>66256458
>How do you make your perfect party?
Literally all I want are players engaged with roleplay who will show up every week.
>>
Ghosts of saltmarsh will be the first time I DM
I'm scared
>>
>>66258319
refluffed maces/clubs as tonfas for my monk
tonfas are so much fun
>>
>>66258319
>>
>>66258205
Jeez man that was just a bait, i expected someone to bite it, nobody did. I tip my fedora in respect of /tg's decency. Have a nice day, sir.
>>
File: wn8c1cx9L1s0ysuu.png (45 KB, 500x500)
45 KB
45 KB PNG
Post your character's sheet!
>>
I'm assuming the answer to this is 'no' but can anyone except a Paladin (or Bard) get access to the Find Steed spell? I want to ride an elk.
>>
>>66258473
No, unless some magic item can cast it for you
>>
>>66256825

Sure. Homeland is an interesting look at Drow society, and is a decent read, Exile is fun for its Underdark escapades and companion characters.

That said, Sojourn... eh, not a huge fan. It feels like a series of plots cobbled together, lacks interesting villains (not to mention a few really annoying ones), and meanders to its conclusion. There is one decent battle sequence, and it does connect the trilogy to The Crystal Shard, so you should still read it, but don't expect it to compare to the first two.
>>
>New Skill: Perception
• Dominion over Investigation, Insight, Sleight of Hand, Survival and Perception (renamed to Awareness)
• Perception becomes the primary Stat for Rangers and Inquisitive Rogues

>Dexterity renamed to Agility
1. Strength is fine with only Athletics. Agility will be fine with only Acrobatics, Stealth, improving your AC, and attacking with finesse weapons and ranged attacks

>Charisma now has dominion over Animal Handling
• You can’t be an asshole and get animals to obey or like you

>Remaining Wisdom skills absorbed into Intelligence (Medicine)
• Wisdom is ill-defined and a catch-all for noticing things, Medicine, and Handling Animals
>>
>>66258473
only through those classes can you get it
but if you have one in the party, then a ring of spell storing allows you to store the spell in the ring and then other party members can use the ring to cast the spell and gain their own mount
>>
>>66258626
bait/10
Intelligence (medicine) is the only good one
>>
>>66258624
I'm the guy who asked, I read the first two chapters of Homeland in the last half hour
I learned more about Drow society in a few dozen pages than anything in Out of the Abyss

I'm going to run an OotA campaign so it's a very good read so far
>>
>>66258653
>>66258531
Thanks.
>>
>>66258058
Black Tentacles, it's on the spell list for a reason
strong aoe crowd control that works against most creatures and with Eldritch Blast and Repelling Blast you can constantly knock enemies back into it as they attempt to approach you, they spend their action attempting to escape so even if they do they cant do shit on that round except move
>>
>>66258667
There’s nothing wise about the Wisdom stat. It’s 4/5 noticing things and getting animals to like you. Medicine could be construed as wise, but it fits INT better
>>
>>66258720
Insight is definately wisdom
>>
File: Oath of Valour.jpg (258 KB, 794x1054)
258 KB
258 KB JPG
>>66256598
How does this amendment look?
>>
>>66258626
>not changing con to endurance and adding luck
>>
>>66258720
>Wisdom
>Wisdom reflects how attuned you are to the world around you and represents perceptiveness and intuition.
animals don't give a fuck about your personality. You have to know how to behave with different animals, and what kinds of things calm or agitate them. Charisma is all about personality.
>>
>wanting to add more filler skills
>>
>>66256825
>>66258624
Seconding: I found Homeland to be pretty good, Exile was okay in parts, but Sojourn was utterly forgettable. I'd read the first two, but the third only if you're a completist.

>>66258368
You got this. Remember, your players are more scared of you, than you are of them.
>>
File: 1556098675751.jpg (292 KB, 671x720)
292 KB
292 KB JPG
Are there any previous edition books that add anything to this edition? I grabbed a few ideas for monsters from 4e's monster manual but that's about it.
>>
>>66256825
Probably if you are a teen, I enjoyed them then. Not so sure if now.
>>
>>66258779
>Perception means he’s ripping Fallout
>>66258784
>animals don't give a fuck about your personality.
Yeah, they do. If you mistreat an animal it won’t have any loyalty. You don’t need to be Wise to train an animal. It takes a personal touch to form a bond.
>>66258747
>Insight is definitely Wisdom
It can be construed as such, but it also fits Perception
>>
>>66258788
Skill count is the same
>>
>>66258911
low charisma =/= an asshole
>>
>>66258911
But a hermit who has lived in the middle of the woods can train animals fine. But if you brought him to talk to people, he would come off as incredibly uncharismatic.
Also why would someone with low charisma mistreat an animal? All you need to train an animal is the wisdom to do so. You don't need to be confident or know how to tell a convincing lie, you need to know when an animal is being hostile or submissive and to act accordingly.
>>
>>66258626
yes, wisdom is knowledge learned and how to apply it to your situation

Like if you're in a forest or a dungeon an unwise warrior will charge headfirst but a wise one will slow down and check for traps and ambushes because those are common occurrences.
an intelligent person might just put two and two together and know how to apply for the medicine but the wise person has the experience to do it correctly.

an animal is an animal, not a person. You CAN be an asshole and get animals to obey you if you understand how their mind works.
My chickens don't run up to me when I get home because they like me, they do so because they know I have a bucket of leftover vegetable scraps for them to eat. I can shoo them away or scare them off plenty but if I have a bucket in my hand they will run up to me regardless. I'd say that in the case with animals that have higher INT you could ask your DM to apply persuasion (Cha)
>>
>>66258882
One of the 2e books had the whole process of how to become a lich detailed across two pages. Then there's dweomers or however they're called, super-spells beyond the max level.
The setting books are all perfectly usable, as long as you use 5e npcs and monsters.
>>
If it has 3 or lower INT, animal handling.
>>
>>66256458
>You've got full reign over what characters you and the rest of your party play for your next campaign
I like not having that kind of control desu.
>>
>>66258951
Getting an animal to like you is not Wisdom. It fits Charisma more
>>66259045
Training an animal is not an act of wisdom. If anything you’re following steps needed to classically condition an animal

Getting an animal with a high emotional intelligence like a dog trained requires the dog to like you which is CHA if anything
>>
>>66259045
not that guy but this is arguing for intelligence
>>
>>66259236
I'm an uncharismatic person in real life (big surprise)
I've trained plenty of dogs during my lifetime. The nice thing about dogs is that if you know their body language and how they react to yours, you can quickly assert yourself and make friends with a dog.
>>
>>66259297
>if you know their body language and how they react to yours
So you're saying it's Intelligence?
>>
>>66259297
Dude, that's a charisma skill, you're simply unproficient in Persuasion
>>
>>66259236
>Getting an animal to like you is not Wisdom
In what way? You need empathy more then force of will to get an animal to like you, you just need to understand them.
>>66259257
It's arguing for wisdom.
>you need to know when an animal is being hostile or submissive and to act accordingly.
Those are wisdom based things
>>
>>66259338
Perception and Inisight are intelligence based now?
>>
>>66258626
I’m not going to touch this, but I will agree Wisdom is too vague for D&D

>Wisdom is knowing not to speak, listen and learn when people are talking about things you’re not well versed in
>Wisdom is wondering the “why” when people do certain things and trying to understand and approach them.
>Wisdom is observing, learning the facts, and waiting before you act

This doesn’t translate well to D&D
>pic unrelated
>>
>implying all of that isn't Nature
>>
I want to make a caster of some sort focused on temporary hit points. Maybe something that takes advantage of the False Life + Life Transference combo, even if it's inefficient. I thought maybe Necromancer Wizard was appropriate because False Life is a Necro spell, and Grim Harvest restores HP, but was hoping one of you guys had an idea.
>>
>>66259396
Fiendlock gets temp hp on last hits, but it's unreliable and dependent on what enemies the DM throws at you.
>>
Patrician stats for patrician games and patrician players are:
>Body
>Mind
>Soul/Personality/Alignment
>>
>>66259396
My immediate thought is that Warlock Invocation that gives you at will false life. Maybe Warlock 2/Divine Soul Sorcerer X so you can twin life transference?
>>
>tfw want to make a CHA Barbarian but they're too MAD unless you roll well
>>
>>66259493
It's not unbearable. Medium Armor is better for barbs until way high level anyway. Assuming half orc, you can get 16 strength, 14 dex and 14 con with 14 charisma (You'd be dumping wis and int though) It'd be better for say a Triton or Half-elf, and if you are fine with a 12 in Con, you can get a 16.
>>
>>66259493
Just be a triton.
>>
>>66259455
I will look at Divine Soul Sorcerer and Warlock.

>>66259429
Last hitting is a strange mechanic.
>>
>>66256458
>whos LoL characters are these
ah, makes sense
>>
File: bows.jpg (104 KB, 727x969)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
Got bored and designed some bow free spring-powered "crossbows".
>>
>>66258882
2e's series of books Encyclopedia Magica are good

4 books that are absolutely full of magic items and ideas for them
>>
>>66259679
It looks like a wooden machine gun. Noice
>>
>>66259396
You probably want to just go hill dwarf life or grave cleric. Life cleric for the obvious benefits, grave for thematics and false life as a domain spell.

Something you could try is to take the dwarven fortitude feat to round con and mitigate the lost hitpoints. Clerics can afford to dodge with their action pretty often.
>>
>1d4 finesse
>dagger for piercing, whip for slashing, both have an extra property unique to finesse weapons
>1d6 finesse
>shortsword for piercing, scimitar for slashing, both light
>1d8 finesse
>Rapier for piercing, none for slashing

is this intentional or an oversight? I've seen many groups oversaturated with rapier users because there simply isn't another option
>>
>>66259731
Likely intentional, they tried to make the weapons very simple and clear cut.
>>
>>66259731
Yeah. Slashing finesse isn't reasonably possible in the same damage tier as battleaxe or longsword without some sort of magic being involved.

Keep your eyes peeled for a sun blade.
>>
>>66259701
Probably maxes out t like 4-8 shots per box mag. Made it with the idea of giving a fighter a reason to ever pick up a crossbow
>>
>>66259731
yes and no, in their haste to trim the lists, they didnt balance every physical damage type perfectly. some things double up, others are weighted far far too heavily
>>
File: 1556999478028.jpg (5 KB, 220x220)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>Player wants to make a PAM socardin
>>
>>66259812
Let him, then do eight encounters per day.
>>
File: Capture.png (11 KB, 241x329)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
how does this look /5eg/?
>>
>>66259863
You are supposed to have 2 personality traits.
>>
>>66259863
There's nothing wrong playing an aloof character as long as you grow from it.
>>
>>66259863
>using pregenned traits
gross
>>
File: 1557417558303.png (438 KB, 750x745)
438 KB
438 KB PNG
>>66259863
>Roll20
>Edgelord
>>
>>66259879
Just gonna add one in after a few sessions, after I figure them out a little.
>>
>>66259863
>those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide
>fairness. we all do the work, so we all share in the rewards
what are you hiding?
>>
>>66259897
Nice insight
>>
>>66259770
Crossbow Expert is a thing, yknow?
>>
>>66259897
There are dudes looking for him anon, finish reading his Bonds
>>
>>66259951
why should you have to spend a feat to be equal to a bow?
>>
>>66259970
Because crossbows have the loading property and bows do not.
>>
>>66259951
Because I don't like how the loading property bars any multi-attack class from using them.
>>
Elves get longsword proficiency, but has anyone actually played an elf that used one? Seems like a weird thing to take if you have +2 DEX.
>>
>>66260028
If you somehow get Sunblade it can be good I guess.
>>
>>66259999
I know that, that's the issue. The rules invents a problem and give you a feat to fix the issue the rules cause. It's weird.
>>
>>66260062
Moonblade can too, but this seems pretty niche.
>>
>>66259886
could be dndbeyond like me
>>
>>66258667
Medicine is WIS only because the healer classes are WIS-based and they'd get cucked otherwise.
>>
>>66260095
DnDBeyond doesn't have borders on the description of characters.
t.DnDbeyondfag
>>
What's a good animal to represent use of the spear for a Bladesinger? Scorpion?
>>
>>66260145
Scorpion, Swordfish, Heron, Spider, to name a few that immediately come to mind
>>
>>66260145
A crane?
>>
>>66260145
Wait, spears are hafted weapons. It would be a Bird style. Hawk maybe?
>>
>>66260145
Snake
>>
>>66259731
I just use Cavalry Sabers & Backswords for d8 finesse Slashing.
>>
>>66260172
secretary bird
>>
>>66260166
Oh, I like heron. Thanks.
>>
>>66260166
>Heron
>>
>>66257293
>>66257361
What happened to men?
>>
File: Sawtooth_sabres.jpg (26 KB, 154x256)
26 KB
26 KB JPG
>>66259731
>Rapier for piercing, none for slashing
Reach into your Pathfinder weapon list and pull out the blade of the Red Mantis the Sawtooth Saber. Then never look back.
>>
If I give my players the option of spell point sorcerer, how much does it change things? What about Pala/sorc? Or Sor/lock? Am I looking at a dramatic boost in power?
>>
What are some common red flags found in trash players? Should I be wary of them liking things like anime, certain videogames or ponies?
>>
>>66260447
They post stuff like this on 4chan:
>What are some common red flags found in trash players? Should I be wary of them liking things like anime, certain videogames or ponies?
>>
>>66260447
>What are some common red flags found in trash players?
Shitposting on /tg/.
>>
>>66260447
It's okay to like anime or videogames, just be wary of people trying to emulate them using the D&D system. It doesn't work well and they'll be fighting you and the rules the whole time.
>>
Is it worth it for an Eldritch Knight to take a two level dip in Bladesinger?
>>
>>66260505
Take 3 in battlesmith instead
>>
>>66260505
I think other wizards are better. Bladesong isn't a good feature for a fighter.
>>
>>66260505
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bladesinger
>>
>>66260145
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>bladesinger

Seriously fuck why are people still even considering that this piece of trash even exists
>>
>>66260558
>>66260505
That's a pity, I wanted to play an Elf Bladesinger, but hearing that it was bad decided on Eldritch Knight. I figured I'd take two levels in Bladesinger though, for the bladesong. If it's not worth it, I won't bother. I'll just ask if I can refluff Eldritch Knight.
>>
>>66260588
Bladesinger is good, maybe not as good as divination but 23 ac at level 3 is not bad and only gets higher
>>
>someone leaked it
>>
>>66260588
You're probably better off taking the mobile feat or abjuration wizard depending on what you're looking for. Neither are something you really need though.

There are so many better gishes than bladesinger out there, and better ones than EK if you don't like EK.
Just remember that if you take 2 levels of wizard not only do you only get 1.33 spellcasting levels when EK would have given you 0.66 and progress towards extra attack / war magic but also that you won't learn level 2 spells until level 9 which is kind of pitiful.
>>
>>66260608
23? How? Assuming studded leather, 18 and 16 in Dex and Int and a shield, that's only 21 and I doubt I'd have those stats anyway.
>>
>>66260645
>"(Hardcover scan)"
Immediately knew.
>>
>>66260447
if they dont generate a character with an anal circumfrence
>>
>>66260645
They didn't edit this one too well like usual. Interesting read.
>>
>>66260670
Usually you use the shield spell for extra a.c. if you are smart then you will be using it nearly every encounter.
>>
File: 20190318_122633.jpg (3.28 MB, 4128x2322)
3.28 MB
3.28 MB JPG
>>66256458
Anyone have lawful evil stories?
>>
>>66260645
how many gigs of high res dolphin porn is this?
its 2mb m8
>>
>>66260645
I was hoping it was you catgirls guy.
You rascal
>>
>>66260588
Bladesinger is... fine. Unless you have a faggot at your table that adds up and compares DPS at the end of every session, no one will mind you playing something less optimal. There are mechanically better options, sure, but you'll contribute.
>>
>>66256911
Be a lizardfolk silly
>>
i wanna roll either a blade singer or a hexblade, which is more fun?
>>
>>66260705
>implying GoS has more than 2mg of content
You'd better temper your expectations, m8.
>>
>>66260738
Play literally anything else. There are plenty of other options if you want to gish that aren't worse-than-UA trash.
>>
>>66260738
Hexblade
>>
>>66260738
aren’t both those characters teenagers
>>
File: bard2.jpg (19 KB, 300x390)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
Who the fuck plays a bard.

Seriously.

If your group is 4 + GM, you're now basically 3 people fighting and one Julliard performer singing and dancing at the sidelines. While your party might not hate you, they don't feel any less functional or competent when you're away or dead.

You and your lute are dead weight and the first to be thrown in the metaphorical fire for warmth when shit hits the fan. You'd do everyone a favor in combat by closing your mouth shut and drawing a fucking sword instead of being an attention-whoring cheerleader.
>>
>>66260645
>Cat girls make excellent barbarians
>+2 dex and +2 cha
>>
>>66260738
battlesmith
>>
>>66260765
Pasta aside I've always thought the fluff of a "modern musician" bard to be baffling and stupid. Silmarillion style songs of power are cool. Creepy pied piper shit is cool. Flute-playing fey are cool. Playing a guitar solo to hypnotize someone or conjure a fireball is just jarring.
>>
>>66260765
>Blind man missing two limbs
>Tries to keep everyone's spirits up with music
>NO FUCK YOU WHY AREN'T YOU FIGHTING THIS ELDER DEMON ALONGSIDE US?

this pasta is stale
>>
>>66260765
>standing on the sidelines and singing

Is this bait for 2e or something? Seriously, when was the last time Bards worked that way?
>>
>>66260767
>not playing dex cha barb
>>
>>66260779
I'm going to need you to explain to me how playing an electric guitar to cast chain lightning isn't baller as fuck.
>>
>>66260738
Depends on the goal of the character.
Warlock is generally great, very flexible. Tons of features you can pick and choose. Only downside is if the dm is a 5 minute adventuring day type, and pact magic starts feeling underwhelming.

I would play a more conventional wizard if I were to play a one. It's a very defined role and I don't like bladesong or extra attacks as wizard features.
>>
>>66257373
Simple, BECAUSE we don't allow it in real life.
>>
>>66260767
>Not playing dex barb
>>
>>66260815
>>66260843
>dude muh AC
>>
>>66260779
actually all pasta aside I’m sick and tired of people who do a “my bard only plays x musician/band’s music” in fantasy setting
>>
>>66260786
>>66260786

I do have some beef with the modern idea of bards. Battle drummers or war-singers are cool, and they have a place in an advancing army; so does the man whose job is to beef up the troops' morale and help them de-stress. (Although you could argue that in a smaller group of adventurers, the man who holds the banner, blows in a war horn or sings in praise of his friend's well-aimed arrow shot is slightly less useful, his presence can be criticized, wouldn't it be better if he took up the sword?)

Even then, the archetype remains fun. So does the idea of the pied piper, strange and slightly terrifying as all magic users should be, or someone who has mastered songs of power in the vein of the Silmarillion's. Skalds and those who compose songs and poems about the great deeds of heroes also have a fairly nice flavor, even if they run into the "dear god, just grab something sharp and kill the orcs, the slightly magical song and prose you just wrote about us is NOT HELPING" issue.

But the kind of bard that's always played at the table, the bard the rules support, is none of these things. He's a wizard with a harp who can dance and perform like some kind of medieval-fantasy rockstar and insult his enemies to death. That just sucks.
>>
>>66260854
barbs can wear armor you know and its not even half bad
>>
>>66260854
>Attack at range
>Ancestral guardians
>Now the enemy has disadvantage against everyone but the one guy they can't hit and will have their damage reduced as a reaction too
>>
Hey I am revising Tempest Cleric spell list for EE stuff, giving it Warding Wind instead of Gust of Wind, and replacing Insect Plague with Maelstorm. And their choice of Shape Water or Gust as a cantrip, but it takes place of one cantrip known.
I was also considering changing Sleet Storm with Tidal Wave and Ice Storm with Stormy Sphere, but I think the ice spells are thematic enough.
Thoughts?
>>
>>66260874
>cucked out of rage damage and reckless attack
>not bad
Dex Barbs lmao.
>>
Assuming a hand crossbow, which would you rather have:
>Max weapon damage every time
>Extra 1d6 elemental damage
>>
>>66260873
The martial bards can play a lot more like what bladesinger was supposed to be.
>>
>>66260890
Extar 1d6. Max is guaranteed 6, but the elemental is more on average (As it's 2d6, which averages to 7).
>>
>>66260888
thats only heavy armor you nonce
this is what i get for having expected 5eg to read the book
>>
>>66260906
Sorry I meant strength and strength related checks.
>>
>>66260890
One is +2.5 damage
the other is +3.5 damage
go figure

if you meant 1d4 then it's the difference between 2d6+2d4 on crit and auto 12, in which case ... They're still the same.
So, from there, assuming you'd never take something dumb like savage attacker, max damage would be the better mechanical option as you know what your output is and know you will definitely finish off an enemy. Of course, swingey dice can potentially kill you something you wouldn't kill otherwise, I guess, but you coulda used sharpshooter.

Elemental damage is worse than magical weapon damage though.
>>
>>66260919
laughs in barbarogue
>>
>>66257661
Get booming blade, that and something else. I lile AoA
>>
>options for a race with +2 Int is...gnome.
>and that's it
>meanwhile several races give +2 to charisma
>Charisma based classes are also dominant, only 1 int based class
>Charisma skills are arguably the most useful when skills are ranked by governing attribute (persuasion checks come up in game all the time, while DM calls for perception checks instead of investigation)
Why the fuck does WotC have such a hard on for charisma?
>>
>>66261034
That's why in my games perception is only used for the passive and all active searches use investigation.
>>
>>66261034
Warding Dwarf is +1 INT
>>
>>66261034
With point buy or standard array, you don't need a +2, only a +1 to get your 16.
>but I roll for stats
The game is not balanced around rolled stats.
>>
>>66257661
I suggest getting Lightning Lure and Booming Blade/Homebrew a Lightning Blade cantrip from a feat.
>>
>>66261034
Exclusively looking at ASIs there's negligible difference between Gnomes and High Elves, provided you're doing point-buy.
>>
>>66256825
>

If you are a teenage boy.

And it is around 1990, sure.

An adult in 2019........what the actual fuck is wrong with you?
>>
If we're being honest in reality most people can be best described as 'decent neutral' you are generally out for you and your own but you never go out of your way to be a dick and generally do good when it's convenient to you
>>
What’s a good weapon for a Battlesmith? I’m open to any
>>
>>66260645
Nice.
>>66261034
GGR has vedalken which is just gnome with less midget baggage (and strictly speaking the save advantage is superior even if the difference is marginal). Great if your DM allows bullshit races and you're not passive aggressive enough to take yuan-ti.
>>
>>66261161
Either Heavy Crossbow, Hand Crossbow + Shield, or a Warhammer.
>>
>>66261161
Repeating crossbow, potentially refluffed to be a gun, was pretty much the first one people brought up.
>>
>>66261160
I think the average guy is Neutral with the majority trending towards Good.
>>
>>66261160
I'd argue the average person is probably a bit closer to LN than N, but it's not by a whole lot.
>>
>>66261161
reminder that all crossbows can be refluffed as guns due to their high damage output capabilities
>>
>>66261160
agreed, good is usually meant for people who actively do good. Like Volunteers.
>>
>>66261160
What if your character does good because it's convenient but will go out of their way to be a dick to someone that's already being a dick?
>>
>>66261161
Repeating shot was made for crossbows, so those are a nice choice, especially since you can S&B with them now.
Any 1-handed weapon will let you S&B as well. You're using your bonus action on your diamond dog, so PAM S&B drops in usefulness, so you can use whatever weapon you want.
And of course the Int greatsword is a great meme.
Basically whatever you fuckin' want, desu, although being able to double up on Enhanced Defense with S&B is great. 21 AC with half plate.
>>
>>66261276
Probably closer to CN
>>
>>66261276
That's just chaotic.
>>
>>66261158
the first 6 are actually competent
especially the icewind dale trilogy

I want to quit but I love Jarlaxle too much
>>
>>66261376
I have actually read all 6, but to be fair I was a dumbass teenage boy at the time.

I cringed every time I saw somebody naming their character "Drizzit" in video games for decades after that.
>>
>that feel when you want to get some nifty feats for your concept that will really solidify your character
>that feel when that voice in the back of your head wants you to take PAM/SS/CBE/GWM/LUCKY/ETC instead

Begone you foul demon, we play for fun not for powergaming
>>
>>66261418
that is fair
drizzt is the gateway drug to the better parts of FR
>>
>>66261424
Dual Wielder is probably my favorite feat. Then again I'm also a madman that went Vuman just to put Moderately Armored on a Warlock.
>>
File: 5Upi.gif (992 KB, 494x320)
992 KB
992 KB GIF
>>66261498
You absolute crazed man
I respect you
>>
>>66261321
The infamous "Chaotic Nutjob" alignment, favored by murderhobos. Frequently played in the same games with the "Lawful Stupid" paladin.
>>
I should also say with alignment my lizardfolk barb is too wrapped up in her personal problems to care about most grander scale ideological conflicts
>>
>>66261201
>>66261209
>>66261243
>>66261288

So go Hvy Crossbow, with a back up Handcrossbow & Shield?

What would be required to dual wield hand crossbows?
>>
>>66261612
no thats gay pick one and see if the DM calls you out for not following it
>>
>>66261642
Another Artificer to give your H.Crossbow the speedyshot infusion
Or you could beg your DM to let you double up because its ridiculous that you cant
>>
Alignments are a waste of time.
>>
>>66261642
You'd need a dip in some class that provides Dual Wielding, then two levels of Artificer so you can spend two infusions on Repeating Shot for each hand crossbow.
>>
>>66261646
Basically she's is neutral
>>
>>66261655
You don't need another Artificer. Pretty sure with how it reads you can use the same infusion on multiple items so long as it doesn't go over your max Infused Items.
>>
>>66261670
Only lvl 1 dip into Fighter technically
And you'd need DM approval or a friendly Artificer. Infusions are one per
>>
>>66261695
well than pick that one
>>
>>66261702
Are you sure? Im pretty sure this forbids that
>>
>>66261601
See, I like Chaotic Neutral. It's not just an excuse to do what ever you want and feel no moral qualms about it. But it's what Conan the Barbarian movie character is to me. Someone who has endured slavery. Who has been under the yolk of others and known what life is like with out the ability to decide for yourself. And just how precious that is. And whether it's a moral compass compelling you to do good. Or an evil force driving you to its will. You have to decide what it is you need to do to empower yourself. Whether that's betraying a king who payed you gems to find his daughter. Or killing the evil cultist who has slain your family. Stopping the cults influence wasn't even on your agenda. You serve your own moral code, with your own self serving agenda.

But that's just my take.
>>
>>66261243
>hand crossbow
>high damage output
Even heavy crossbows do less damage than a big axe
>>
>>66261715
>Only lvl 1 dip into Fighter technically
I forgot that only Fighter gets the Style at 1. Technically they could still dip 2 levels of Ranger or Paladin if they wanted to, but it'd be silly to.
>And you'd need DM approval or a friendly Artificer. Infusions are one per
Really? I could've swo-

>>66261743
Nevermind.
>>
>>66261716
No fucking duh that's what she is i was just explaining why she is neutral
>>
>>66261803
you said it in a way too complicated way
>>
>>66261771
Well yeah, duh. A heavy crossbow can only pull back so far, but a big axe can be as big as you need.
>>
>>66261826
and a gun should do more damage than any melee weapon
>>
>>66261771
>18.5 damage average, with extra shots using a bonus action
Meanwhile the battleaxe can't even reach that if it rolls max damage while being two-handed.

Bonus points if you want a sniper and play a rogue to stack that damage up on a single shot even higher.
>>
>>66261498
I'll see your madness and raise you Heavily Armored for my Hexblade
>>
>>66261842
>crossbow is a gun
>>
>>66261796
At that point I'd probably continue the dip into fighter for action surge, but yeah its fucking ridiculous you can't double up on infusions. If I was a DM I'd allow my player to do it honestly
>>
>>66261842
no because a gun's damage is limited to how big the bullet can be and how strong the propellent is
but you can just get stronger by using the axe a whole lot
>>
>>66261854
How the fuck are you getting 18.5 from a 1d10?
>>
>>66261869
are you retarded or something
>>66261243
>reminder that all crossbows can be refluffed as guns due to their high damage output capabilities
>>66261879
>how strong the propellent is
yes
>how big the bullet can be
no
>>
>>66261882
From 1d6, actually.
It's called a feat.
>>
>>66261903
do tou even gun?
>>
File: ab8rav2uuyaz.jpg (546 KB, 979x832)
546 KB
546 KB JPG
>>66261903
>bigger bullet
>doesn't do more damage
>>
>>66261862
I raise Shield Master for 1 Fighter/X Monk
>>
>>66261908
What the fuck is your math here
Every feat you can use on a hand crossbow you can get more damage from the melee equivalents
>>
>>66261936
I raise you toughness on my barbarian
>>
>>66261903
>ripping a bigger hole in someone doesn’t kill them better
>>
>>66261982
Athlete Bard
>>
>>66261950
1d6+5+10, 10 from sharpshooter.

Battleaxe has no related feat.
Longsword has no related feat. They can get +1 damage from taking +2 str, I guess, but that's about it.
Etc.
Some weapons such as polearms and axes have it, but not only are they less suited to it (they don't get archery, or don't qualify for sneak attack, etc) but...
Even games based around gun combat have it so that if you're up in melee with a big fucking axe putting your life on the line because your ego is about as big as your axe that you do do a little bit more damage than a gun at least.

And, in this case, if you use the big axe, 1d12 in two hands along with GWM, you can do a little bit more damage than a guy holding a light gun in one hand - 18.5 versus 21.5. What's the harm in that? Funnily enough, due to archery fighting style, the gun still averages more damage.
>>
>>66262017
>Not athlete artificer (old artificer)
For shame, I bet you don't even rocket jump.
>>
>>66261642
Why are you dual wielding when you should be using your bonus action to give commands to your pet robot?
>>
>>66262027
Nah, just swinging from sail rigging, singing shanties, and having 21 HP at level 5 with a +1 CON mod because my HD rolls are ass for this character specifically.
>>
>>66262019
>Battleaxe has no related feat.
>Great Weapon Master
>On your turn, when you score a critical hit with a melee weapon or reduce a creature to 0 hit points with one, you can make one melee weapon attack as a bonus action.
>Before you make a melee attack with a heavy weapon that you are proficient with, you can choose to take a - 5 penalty to the attack roll. If the attack hits, you add +10 to the attack’s damage.

>due to archery fighting style
Archery is +2 to attack, not damage, and axes/swords can use great weapon fighting
>>
>>66262075
thats why you go *toughness barbarian*
>>
>>66262089
They are a STR Valor Bard, perhaps I could multiclass into a Bardbarian?
>>
>>66262019
Not the anon you're arguing with, but iIf you're using PAM+GWM versus CBE+SS, the damage is
>Xbow: 1d6 three times = 10.5
>Glaive/halberd: 1d10 twice, 1d4 once = 13.5
>Qstaff+dueling: 1d6+2 twice, 1d4+2 once = 15.5
>>
>>66262125
>guns do less damage than a stick
>>
>>66262144
>crossbows are guns
will you knock it off buster
>>
>>66262082
Battleaxe is not a heavy weapon. Readnigga.jpg

>Archery is +2 to attack, not damage, and axes/swords can use great weapon fighting
I did say average damage output, which factors in chance to hit.
Archery is far better than great weapon fighting - archery gives 20~30% extra damage (average, if you consider hit chances) whereas great weapon fighting gives, specifically on a greataxe.. +4% or so damage. Of course, a bit better on a greatsword, that's more like +7 or 8%.
The numbers aren't skewed so heavily towards archery when you aren't applying the +10 damages but you're not rootin' and tootin' if you're not pulling out the big dick damage.
>>
>>66262163
>archery gives 20~30% extra damage (average, if you consider hit chances)
+2 is 10% more chance to hit, what are you smoking?
>>
>>66262144
>stick does more damage than a polearm
tfw even if you have GWFFS the averages tick up to 15.6 and you're still out 2 AC.
I'm aware people take it for AoO/sentinel shenanigans, but it's still funny to me.
>>
>>66262125
And once you factor in archery your average damage is higher than the other two. Quarterstaff can't even use GWM.

The reason those polearms can keep up in damage and melee isn't completely fucked is because reaction attacks exist, though technically the hand crossbow guy can pull out a rapier at the end of every turn and hope to swipe someone as they run, though obviously that's much harder than getting PAM reaction.

That said, yes, on a single hit a halberd will do more damage than a hand crossbow (reflavoured as a pistol) when you use GWM versus using SS. But what's so wrong about that? It makes sense that if you use a really big weapon and make a particularly dangerous swipe that you can just barely outdamage a centuries-old gun, doesn't it? Doesn't make it overall a better choice to use in warfare.
>>
>>66262158
Read the fucking reply chain you stupid retar
>>66262163
>Battleaxe is not a heavy weapon.
Why the fuck would you assume I'm talking about battleaxe and not greataxe?
>>
>>66262189
Consider two instances against a 15 AC enemy while you have +5 base hit chance:
You have archery, you don't have archery.
Each time you will use sharpshooter.
If you don't have archery, you have a 6/20 chance to hit. Also note that 1 of those 6 will crit and deal an extra 3.5 damage, bu that barely matters, so we'll ignore it.
If you have archery, 8/20 chance to hit.

That's 25% extra damage right there.
>>
>>66262219
stop calling crossbows guns retard
>>
>>66262241
Read nigger
>>
File: file.png (6 KB, 297x87)
6 KB
6 KB PNG
>>66262219
I don't know, why are you talking about battleaxes?
>>
>>66262248
learn about guns nigger
>>
>>66262254
I literally copied the words that you wrote, so again, why the fuck would you assume I'm talking about battleaxe and not greataxe
>>
>>66262275
Because I mentioned two different axes, one that doesn't work with GWM and one that does work with GWM in my post, and you decided to go after the one that didn't work with GWM and say it does work with GWM as well.

That said, I never did name it as greataxe exactly because I couldn't quite remember its exact name so it looks like I just ended up calling it 'big axe', the naming conventions aren't really helping anyone here.
>>
Optimalfags are the worst
>>
>>66262337
yes
I long for the day I can post about ranger without being called suboptimal
>>
>>66262337
I don't even care about being optimal but a fucking pistol should do more damage than a medieval nerf toy
>>
>>66262240
You shouldn't be blindly using SS/GWM, though. We have tables for this.
>>
What sounds more interesting.

Lizardfolk swamp circle Druid.
Or
Gnome Trickery Cleric

Also taking suggestions of any divine caster race combo for fun.
>>
>>66262337
so what you're saying is they optimized being the worst?
>>
>>66262373
Anything is better than a gnigger
>>
>>66262373
I'm always going to go with lizardfolk they're just fun to play and they have pretty good racial features
>>
File: 926.jpg (64 KB, 631x467)
64 KB
64 KB JPG
>>66262337
>be playing a fighter in a campaign one of my buddies is running that has 3 new players
>that shield mastery because I like shields and im running interference for the three newbies who are getting used to everything
>DM buddy pulls me aside afterwards
>"you took shield mastery and Healer? Why didnt you just go PAM and GWM?
>tell him im just trying to let the other guys shine
>gives me a confused look "yeah but those feats are kinda subpar. I'll let you reconsider your options so you arent dragging the team down"

I was so fucking confused
I knew he was a powergamer before, but I didnt realize my friend was such a fag either
>>
>>66262366
SS is worth using with a +5 to hit against an AC 15 target.
Yes, that's without advantage.
>>
What's the math behind why Archery FS is so good, anons? Near as I can figure it's a 15-20% increase in damage against enemies with medium-to-high AC. Meanwhile on a longsword, the +2 to damage with Dueling is around a 25% increase in damage.
>>
Have you accepted that lizardfolk are the true master race of d&d yet?
>>
>>66262398
Fuck that. Gnomes are the feys gift to the world.
>>
>>66262366
At the level mentioned your damage with hand crossbow is going to be 6.5 base.
With sharpshooter, 16.5 base.
In order to be in a situation where you shouldn't use sharpshooter, you'll need to be up against an enemy with, assuming you have +7 to hit, higher than 21 AC and lower than 25(26?) AC. Or, you know, if you want to make sure you hit because it's almost dead.

That's hardly blind, all you need to think is 'does the enemy have ridiculous AC for the current level?' and if the answer is yes you might need to do a good think.
>>
File: Pharagax-Giant.jpg (118 KB, 620x467)
118 KB
118 KB JPG
What's the optimal way to build someone who throws boulders?
>>
>>66262403
Jesus what a fag
>>
>>66262403
>three newbies
He should be happy you're not coming in with a dpr monster since everyone else is probably low-op
>>
>>66262445
Your telling me
Dudes your typical powergamer, but when I DM I never noticed much because we run with experienced gamers and we all enjoy the "deadly" type of games

But come on
We are talking about playing with three newbies who are barely figuring out what a fucking bonus action is
>>
>>66262440
Firbolg/Orc/Goliath bear totem barbarian 6, in to ranger.
>>
>>66262471
Thats the whole reason im a shield mastery/healer fighter
I really just run around knocking things on there ass and pulling out caltrops and shit
You know, trying to get people to be imaginative
>>
Rate my build
>High elf
>Arcane trickster rogue
>Elven accuracy
>Booming bladed rapier
>>
>>66262519
sounds fun anon
>>
>>66262519
make characters not builds
>>
What are some cool things your character has done recently?

Currently my character has chopped a guys legs off, backfliped out of a chair to avoid a falling chandelier, and Goldberg tackling a guy into a wall so hard it left a dent
>>
File: SirBearington.jpg (54 KB, 720x443)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
Tell me about your most recent character /tg/
>>
>>66262519
9/10 well-made but not overpowered.
>>
>>66262563
Zealot of Ilmater, Variant human barbarian with toughness
>>
New thread:

>>66262604
>>66262604
>>66262604
>>
>>66257835
That's effectively what they should be, to be honest.

For most people that want guns in high-fantasy settings, it's just a flavor thing anyway.
>>
>>66262563
Light theurge. Homebrew kitsune race because the DM let another player use it and after my old character died I decided to make the new one a relative of another party member. Just got done with the Curse of Strahd module and picked up some dark gifts at the amber temple. Due to what they were it's becoming more and more difficult to not be weebshit and at this point I'm considering leaning into it.
>>
>>66262563
I'm using warforged and Scout Rogue, but I'm playing him as a sentinel construct created to be the new body for a wizard when he passes, but for now the wizard is making him run the gambit through dungeons as a test of his capabilities. So he is acting as the point man for an adventuring party in return for them keeping an eye on him and reporting back of his capabilities.
>>
>>66256591
>Story is more important than rules

Yeah usually, unless the DM is basically telling the story without letting the players make any meaningful decisions.

'Cutscene mode' is the worst fucking thing my DM has ever done. It was his excuse to basically fuck us without letting us make any proper reaction because 'for story lol'
>>
>>66263135
This wasn't a D&D game, but I had a GM do "cutscene mode" but in the form of his GMPC (with its own fleshed-out backstory and motivations) going on a rampage and getting subdued by another group of heroes. This consisted of him spending 45 minutes reading aloud a scene he'd written at 3am the night before while the players sat and listened.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.