[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Dragon DnD.jpg (277 KB, 1200x1178)
277 KB
277 KB JPG
Dragons are powerful, mobile and intelligent. Yet they don't build civilizations. Why is this so? They're not social critters. Outside of mating and mothers with hatchlings they will at best ignore each other or attempt to kill each other. They don't have human drives towards interaction, cooperation and against randomly attacking or harming others*. A hundred dragons working together could be a powerful force on paper but it would never work in practice. Dragons know this and as such avoid each other.

*that these qualities are not absolute in humans does not mean that they don't exist.
>>
>>66247395
You described tons of monsters in DnD, intelligent, yet completely irrelevant as anything other than a bowling pin for the heroes to knock over. It's called shit world-building.
>>
Yeah, sounds about right.
>>
If they wanted to, a typical fantasy dragon could rule any world it exists in. But most people don’t want their setting to be ruled by the iron-scaled fist of a draconic dictator so instead, dragons spend most of their time sleeping on piles of wealth existing as barely above animals really, while still serving the age-old purpose of being slain as an anthropocentric power fantasy.
>>
>>66247414
*good world-building
>>
File: dragon.jpg (541 KB, 1200x648)
541 KB
541 KB JPG
>>66247395
That's why dragons prefer to rule over humans. They're easy to command, willing to follow orders, and cheap to bribe. Many of them will even be willing to die for you.
>>
>>66247395
Because they have such personal superiority complexes that it takes any notion of cooperation out of the question.
>>
>>66247395
Having dragons rule civilizations is a ridiculously common dnd cliche, what are you even talking about?
>>
Most high fantasy dragons are portrayed as far too intelligent not to realize that if they don't curb humanoid civilization, they will continue to develop more and more dangerous weapons to finally be able to successfully kill the winged monsters that are clearly their predators. It is human nature to do this, unless the dragons were able to maintain that they were their gods, or establish a position of dominance over them, and impose limitations on their technology under threat of annihilation. Yet all the time, they remain as functionally just animals who talk, it's a silly contradiction.
>>
>>66247395
Dragons of the style you're describing and displaying are reptiles. Whatever else they are, they are reptiles.
Borrowing from the traits of reptiles they lack emotional depth (or even the most fundamentally basic emotional capacity) and follow common reptilian trends of keeping to themselves and in many cases abandoning offspring as soon as feasible.

So yes they don't have human, mammalian, drive towards socialization, tribalism or empathy.
Thus even "good" dragons only function with others as rulers over pathetic lower life forms or subservients to mighty gods and titans. Power and using it to go from point A to point B in their own (and only their own) lives is all even the intelligent ones genuinely care about deep down inside.

But if Jurassic Park can give a big lizard warm-blooded compassion then by all means you just go crazy as you want to go with the idea.
>>
File: Helm of Laff.jpg (31 KB, 388x532)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>66247430
Funny joke.
>>
>>66247440
>humans
Fuck that, give me a nice tribe of Kobalds any day.
>>
File: 1552726468380.jpg (130 KB, 511x1000)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
>you're meant to believe that dragons are mighty, and yet most of the time they are brought down by just 1 single human.
>>
File: 222121.png (2.18 MB, 1149x1275)
2.18 MB
2.18 MB PNG
>>66247529
Kobolds are for baby dragons still learning the ropes of how to control their minions. When was the last time you saw a kobold society build grand cathedrals, or mighty fortresses?
>>
What would a civilization bring for a dragon.

They are doing fine for food, comfort, shelter.
>>
>>66247414
Having all intelligent beings operate under human logic is not good worldbuilding
>>
File: dragon cave.jpg (866 KB, 2308x1417)
866 KB
866 KB JPG
>>66247571
Pride, power, and wealth.
>>
>>66247590
On the other hand, I consider it peak arrogance to assume intelligent beings behaving intelligently is a human only trait..
>>
>>66247516
It's true. Nobody actually wants to play in a setting that's 90% mindflayers and aboleths.
>>
>>66247603
>doing shit for others
>pride
>>
>>66247638
>muh insignificance
Fuck off to sci-fi if you want to be autistic, fantasy is romantic and inevitably anthropocentric
>>
>>66247395
Only weak creatures need civilization, strong creatures are largely self-sufficient and view others of their kind as competition. So they generally avoid each other.
>>
File: 0_p9uAeAWqaOBo7f9_.png (501 KB, 1600x850)
501 KB
501 KB PNG
>>66247427
Just because you said that the next kingdom players encounter is gonna be ruled by a dragon emperor.
>>
>>66247648
>having your sigil marked on every mighty temple, grand fortress, and city wall within a hundred miles of your home
>people sing your praises in the streets and powerful generals bring the fear of your name to newly conquered territories
>tales of your greatness are entombed within libraries and cave walls so no one will ever forget your likeness
>>
Any civilization that could be lead or built by a dragon would be infinitely cooler if it were any other monster.
>>
White dragons are the best archetype of dragon. Animalistic, nihilistic, with a wicked sense of instinct.
>>
>>66247667
Fantasy is literally anything anyone wants it to be.
>>
File: wallpaper-123cc2.jpg (388 KB, 1920x1200)
388 KB
388 KB JPG
Civilization is for weak, squishy humans. Walls to keep the elements out. Roads to roll their wheeled vehicles and run their dominated work animals on. Farms to grow their crops. Shops and markets to distribute their goods.

What does a dragon need with any of this nonsense? A dragon thrives in the elements, roads are useless to winged flight. He hunts his prey in the wild. He takes what he wants with claw and fang, not coin. A dragon has no need to civilize the world. The world is already at his mercy.
>>
>>66247723
Yes and I invite you to explore the fantastic realm of sci-fi and spare us your realismfaggotry
>>
Dragons cannot get along.
>>
It's a bit presumptuous to say that dragons have the exact same drives as humans, at the point you might as well ask why aren't dragon dominating every profession since they're so smart/strong.
The idea is their wants/needs/drives are vastly different from our own.

BUT
There are always outliers so sure, there could very well be a dragon who instead of hoarding gold in a cave hoards competent advisors and generals in a castle and runs a nation.

Just bear and mind he'll be seen as a huge nerd by the other bigass lizards.
>>
>>66247722
I also enjoy just a simple beast that needs slaying. Most believable reason Dragons don’t have a society at least
>>
>>66247701
I'll bite.

Oozes. A civilization built by and lead by oozes. Hell you can even throw in jellies, slimes and puddings. I want to be convinced.
>>
>>66247745
>proceeds to get ganged up on and made extinct by humanoid races
>>
>>66247776
Can oozes communicate with each other or others? What's their int score typically?
>>
>>66247548

To be fair its usually a mixed-race party that includes mighty wizards, blessed clerics and masters of all manner of fighting.
>>
>>66247829
It still never made sense to me. I mean think about it, most fantasy involves legendary heroes taking on dragons who are themselves legendary and cream of the crop. Yet given the fact that even normal dragons are typically above most humans, shouldn't said legendary dragons be so far above that you would need more than just a handful of powerful humanoids to even give them pause?
>>
>>66247814
Dragons are never not ganged up on.
>>
>>66247848
What fantasy are you talking about? Because usually in stories it's about some guy who's been blessed so far out the ass as to be near invulnerable.
In D&D videogames it's usually about a group of heroes who have conquered loads of foes before taking on the legendary dragon.
It's important to remember that D&D was written that by level 9 you should be great legendary leaders of men, or warriors of great renown, and by level 15 you're basically a demigod among mortals.
And if you're taking on dragons before that point, odds are you're beating up the dragon equivalent of a snot-nosed teenager, or even babby killing.
>>
I can only imagine dragons feeling the need to build a city if they were surrounding by eldritch abominations or something even scarier than dragons are. A dragon's dragon, one could say.

As for how they'd look, I don't even know where to start imagining that. Are we assuming the dragons are D&D shapeshifter types? If so I guess they'd just default to small humanoids since it's most efficiently adapted to city dwelling. If not, I guess they'd just build walls around a stretch of land with mountains and cliffs and dwell in caves.
>>
>>66247824
The vast majority of oozes do not communicate and as a species overall they have an Int score of 0.
There's some one-off examples that can fake an Int score by enslaving a creature that does have Int. No explanation is ever given as to why they would do this because they exist only to eat and breathe, and reproduce asexually.
>>
File: 1553834901243.jpg (155 KB, 1080x1348)
155 KB
155 KB JPG
>every dragon the moment an even half-way competent hero is pointed in their direction
>>
>>66247990
>half-way competent hero
Ah yes, I see the dildo has arrived.
>>
>>66248002
They only need to be half-way because luck and fate will skew things enough that the dragon monumentally fucks up at just the right time and right way for it to be killed.
>>
>>66247814
>So powerful you either have to mobilize entire armies or get lucky and have a group of plucky adventurers use every trick in the book to bring them down
If you were attempting to prove his point then good job I guess.
>>
>>66248014
That's what all the chew toys think before they die
>>
>>66247855
Turin was alone
>>
File: mfw.jpg (28 KB, 214x287)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>66247990
>not realizing they're being manipulated to take out incompetent rivals in Xorvintaal.
>>
File: 1532878795528.png (302 KB, 630x1244)
302 KB
302 KB PNG
>>66248024
Modern fantasy just keeps on thinking up more and more humiliating ways for a dragon to get done in
>>
File: [Skeptical Sighing].gif (926 KB, 500x579)
926 KB
926 KB GIF
>Dragons are ultra powerful demigods who can cast spellz n sheet and could totally conquer a fantasy setting if they wanted but you juts don't care about muh realisms

Dumb thread.
http://www.paperspencils.com/your-dragons-suck/
>>
>>66247990
How much of that is due to modern game design skewing things in favor of the players?
I recall an AD&D adventure where the players are given warning ahead of time of a dragon ahead, and if they investigate they can find signs of a second dragon. If they proceed anyway, they walk in on the two dragons who due to magical senses were expecting them.
The result is the party coming in through a bottleneck and being immediately hit with a breath weapon that if they fail their save leads to being blinded and immediately losing 75% of their levels (or 50% on a successful save) and having two dragons ready to kick their asses.
>>
>>66247990
>gloating about slaughtering children

If I gave a shit about my kids I'd be appalled. Instead, I'm just disgusted by your misplaced sense of pride.
>>
>>66248083
>I have some sort of stupid composite of media featuring dragons so that I can contrive a non-existent scenario to make it seem like dragons are ridiculous when they're actually just used in different ways according to the media they're in

Dumb poster.
>>
>>66248152
The bigger and older the dragon grows the more set in his ways he is and the easier it gets to surprise him with unusual tactics, and the more he grows arrogant from lack of challenge. Dragon killing stories are not only about the triumph against all odds, but that no one - no matter how big and strong they are - is above defeat. The death flag for those sort of dragons is extra large.
>>
>>66248223
Whatever, fag. *breathes death plasma*
>>
>>66248258
Pride comes before the fall. The righteous self restraint, clever inventiveness, and noble spirit of humanity will always win. Heroic knights are the bane of dragons, as soon as one exists they've already lost.
>>
I have my dragons rule kingdoms or cities as behind the scenes forces. Basically the locals Revere them as some sort of physical god

This works great because to me, dragons are so powerful and far removed they take more joy in playing what is essentially a 5 century long game of chess with mortals instead of just torching a city.

My players understand that the dragon is more powerful than you and far more intelligent. But they have flaws that come from each ones individual personality. He may have spent a few thousand years accounting for possibilities but he has a weakness for say something stupid like fancy mirrors that he values far more than that magic sword you want
>>
File: 1557833374441.png (458 KB, 838x985)
458 KB
458 KB PNG
>>66248269
>The righteous self restraint, clever inventiveness, and noble spirit of humanity will always win.
That's called pride anon. And it comes before the fall.
>>
File: 1551383785064.jpg (760 KB, 2500x1406)
760 KB
760 KB JPG
>>66248301
It's the simple truth. Evil is threatening but ultimately powerless before true righteousness.
>>
>>66248269
A human! Lecturing me on pride! HA! HA HA HA HAAA!!! I haven't laughed this much in centuries!

You sully the lands to breed slave cattle. You mar the forests and the mountains to build your pathetic settlements. You dot the landscape like a pox. All in pursuit of wealth and power. A desperate scramble by a horde of weakling apes. All in the name of sticking your own flag down before some other tribe does. And you DARE lecture ME on pride!?
>>
>>66248326
If you want true righteousness go find an angel, humans are sinful and corrupt creatures.
>>
File: 1538763214442.jpg (551 KB, 1920x1095)
551 KB
551 KB JPG
the wyrms have been getting uppity
>>
File: 1555432738334.png (2.93 MB, 1300x1785)
2.93 MB
2.93 MB PNG
>>
File: ecological pyramid.jpg (40 KB, 800x486)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>66247395
I can see one of the vain chromatic dragons forcing a society to create a monument in his honor, or perhaps a great mirror to admire himself, other than that what use does he have for great works? Dragons aren't builders by nature, they don't need houses to the degree humans do, they have all the weapons and armor they need naturally, they would have little need to enter a church, even if you could get somebody to build one big enough. for them, and they get their food from hunting and raiding which they are quite good at, not farming. It makes the most sense for a dragon who has dealings with a civilization to establish the usual order instead: give me tributes of livestock or healthy young women or men to feed on, or I'll burn your kingdoms to the ground. Another dragon would just get in the way of that, because they'd be competing for the same spot at the top of the food chain.
>>
>>66247395
In my setting they are shapeshifters and manipulative. They take on the form of humans or elves and use them as pawns. Because they are so long lived, they plan long plans and use subtlety to bring their plot to bear. In one sense they definitely build culture if only to use it as a tool.
Most often, the PCs in my games rarely know they've talked to a dragon as he sets them up or uses them. Most often, I use dragons as my main villains and occasionally the most powerful allies.
>>
>>66247395
Niv-Mizzet would qualify technically, but he's nuts and too ambitious in his scientific pursuits to give half a fuck about maintaining his guild.
>>
>>66247700
>thinking others can represent your majesty in it's fullness
>thinking you will ever not be there to be forgotten

Hairless ape logic.
>>
File: 1534633736919.jpg (133 KB, 864x585)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>
>>66248068
What's that excerpt from?
>>
File: 1537797259457.jpg (488 KB, 1920x977)
488 KB
488 KB JPG
>>
>>
>>66247395
I have a nation of Aztec styled elves ruled by a giant feathered dragon that claims to be the Avatar of their god.

I like to keep dragons extra rare. Seeing a dragon is worthy of myth. Slaying one earns you sainthood.
>>
Who would be a suitable rival race for dragons? Giants perhaps?
>>
File: 1538722792816.jpg (142 KB, 1024x683)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>
File: 1538940927913.jpg (3.15 MB, 2560x1710)
3.15 MB
3.15 MB JPG
>>66248552
Eastern Dragons. Since they might as well not even be considered the same thing.
>>
File: great dragon.jpg (137 KB, 1600x1050)
137 KB
137 KB JPG
>>66248514
>Commission (read: threaten) human builders to make a statue to your beauty and power
>First one makes it look too bestial
>Get annoyed, eat him
>Second one is a sycophant, gives it too much of the human concept of nobility he projects onto you
>Get angry, eat him
>Third one clearly is injecting his own human idea of attractive sexual attributes onto the figure
>Get disgusted, eat him
>None of them can capture your terrifying, intelligent, glorious, predatory, drconic splendor.
>Give up, torch and eat their entire city, fuck back off to your mountain.
>>
File: 1555784705531.jpg (851 KB, 1920x1358)
851 KB
851 KB JPG
>>
File: IMG_20190504_144504.jpg (91 KB, 906x862)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
Because they're apex lifeforms that don't need other dragons to thrive, completely unlike man.
>>
File: RedDragonAD&D.jpg (272 KB, 1075x1480)
272 KB
272 KB JPG
>>66248552
>Red Dragons can get up to 354 feet in length
>Meanwhile Titans are only 25 feet tall

Giants are just a moderately bigger snack.
>>
File: 1536921438151.webm (2.91 MB, 960x540)
2.91 MB
2.91 MB WEBM
>>66248672
But man always pushes their shit in.
>>
Not all dragons are complete fucking assholes. A lot of them just want to be left alone and find humans annoying.
>>
>>66248068
I think that dragon needs an adult.
>>
>>66247751
Man, calm your titties, I am not the dude you replied to, but you need to take a chill pill.

Thinking outside your romanticized fantasy bubble sure must be hard for you, my dude.
>>
>>66248674
>Titans are only 25 feet tall
I glanced at this as I was scrolling by and at first assumed you were talking about 40K titans.
I was going to say that I think you might be thinking meters instead of feet.

Would be interesting to see what the results of a red dragon vs Imperium titan would be.
>>
>>66248119
>How much of that is due to modern game design skewing things in favor of the players?
Absolutely none, it's been a staple of fantasy since medieval times.
>>
>>66247590
protip: intelligence is evolved primarily to aid social animals maneuver in social groups. solitary animals have no need for it.
>>
>>66247395
If I have intelligent dragons in my settings, I always sneak in dragon cults. This serves a few purposes- a. it explains why there isn't a dragon civilization any more, b. it explains the dragons horde and their accompanying dungeon.
>>
>>66249144
What are octopuses?
>>
>>66249138
In traditional fantasy, especially that dating back to medieval times it's about one of god's chosen champions, not some half-competent asshat(s).
>>
>>66247494
It's because these creatures were made up in a medieval frame, when people didn't think that one day man could have weapons to slay a creature as big as a mountain. When people look at dragons through a modern lense, of course they don't reall make sense.
>>
>>66247647
Have you tried? It would be good fun.
>>
>>66247427
Now next session I run I will have HFY empire ruled in secret by a dragon who wants to run it into the ground.
>>
File: MoarKrabsHD.png (549 KB, 998x751)
549 KB
549 KB PNG
>>66247758
Yeah, let me tell you the story of a PC dragon who started out as a lawful good boy.

>get introduced to a dragon pup that has been raised by a lumberjack, the lumberjack died and the dragon strolled off
>our (to that time still neutral to good) party accepted the young stray dragon and we wanted to somehow get him into the city without trouble to show him the wonders of society
>it's a demon invasion going on
>dragon thinks society sucks ass and doesn't want to go there again.
>we try to bribe him with gold, he refuses
>as it turns out the lumberjack was a sort of eremite that hated society and keot the dragon knowingly away from gold
>life goes on, adventuring and later on we stumble upon a magical homebrew item we introduced a while ago to spice things up let's simply call it the two headed ogre magi essence
>it's a sort of magical gem that you can use to give extra effects to your equipment, cut from the hearth of a two headed ogre
>the dragon eats it, he ate an essence before, so what could go wrong?
>he grows a second head, which is chaotic evil and obsessed with gold
>is so obnoxious that he managed to talk the lawful good head into being addicted to gold as well
>and so the time of the two headed dragon as our money hoard started
>dragon becomes a complete gold junkie with the evil head more and more becoming the dominant one
>sadly this happened to the same time the group's inquisitor and me, the group's morally questionable phallanx fighter become obsessed with "interrogating" suspects of treason to the city state that hired us
>of course we loot all corpses, and of course the dragon takes the gold
>pic related
>become evil murderhobos in denial, especially the inquisitor, who was LN but acted more like LE, yet he was always keeping an eye on my character because I was the first to be recategorized as LE
>shenanigans shenanigans
>we arrive at Austriatown
Cont.
>>
You know how Hobbes talked about the State, comprised of the body of the people and Ultimate Authority of the Rulers as a leviathan?

A Dragon is political leviathan as well as a physical one. Each Dragon is an intelligent, self-sufficient, single-minded and constantly armed entity, which can enforce its power on its hunting ground.
The same goes for all powerful and intelligent monsters, they don't need a social contract or system of authority as each is fully capable of protecting and projecting power.
>>
>>66249522
>dragon ODs on essences and almost dies, but manages to get a deal with an evil godess to find something of equal soul value to safe his life (the godess is basically the one reaping your soul if you go too greedy on essences)
>dragon gets mad and decimates austriatown to loot the gold and harvest souls and to simply be angry because he ODed without actually wanting that (swallowed a shapeshifted elf who had an essence bow)
>absolutely not evil inquisitor gets mad and pvp starts
>both parties have to flee later on, the group's monk and my character tried to calm both parties down
>dragon comes back and steals all our gold later on, luckily I was on 0 cash anyway

Moral of the story: Dragon's and gold is a volatile mixture that can make your whole group go evil as soon as they taste the destructive power of a two headed dragon friend
>>
>>66247395
I think the reason why dragons can't work together is due to their inherent pride. Every single one of them thinks they're the smartest one in the room and most deserving of the top spot. The only way they could work together is if one of them beat the other into submission, but even then it's only a matter of time until that crumbles.
>>
>>66247395
Because they're parasocial. Like jaguars.
If you take a jaguar, which will tend to hate other jaguars when it isn't trying to fuck, and then give it a genius intelligence and the ability to fly...it'll still prefer to be alone. Being smarter won't give it the physiological need for associating with other jaguars, much less associating with a community of them. Which means, no greater civilization of flying jaguars.
>>
File: 636238888310108665.jpg (523 KB, 909x1000)
523 KB
523 KB JPG
In my world dragons were independent and had constant territory struggles between eachother until anow abyssal threat almost ended the world and them with it. Being warned of the return of said threat they formed into a cohesive society. They successfully defended the world against said threat but almost went extinct in the process, and now the 2 remaining survivors of the species wait underground for the end they know they can't prevent.
>>
>>66247427
I actually once wrote a song for a competition where the prompt was "mythical creatures" and I did a dragon who was a tyrant king.
>>
>>66249634
>parasocial
Brain fart--presocial. Parasocial is pseudo-socialization like 4chan and habitually watching Twitch streamers.
>>
>>66247548
If we're speaking about real word legends, dragons are exemplars of sin that are only ever killed by a righteous man backed up by God.
From a traditional RPG standpoint, dragons are typically some of the most dangerous things around and can only feasibly be brought down by legendary and exceptional figures, A.K.A P.Cs and specific N.P.Cs
>>
>>66247776
I'll throw an idea, but it operates on the basis Oozes are capable of any reasoning at all (Therefore they have an Int, albeit a low one), which seems necessary to even have a society.

An ooze civilization would be a swamp. Not in a swamp. The civilization IS the swamp. Oozes would still operate without a greater sense of individualism or singular purpose, instead being stirred together in a slurry where communication takes place by "physical contact" and literally temporarily melding together. Instead of ingrained social order, it's a mishmash of shortsighted cooperation for mutual benefit but with long term connections. Oozes would probably leave whenever, and new oozes would join whenever. I'm imagining some greater orchestration like bees would have, but without the direction. So the goal would be to expand the swamp, but none of the oozes would have the same goal.

Extremely simplistic hunting and gathering done by "oozing" something until its either mostly dead or all dead, and dragging the remains back to the greater swamp to be dissolved among other Oozes.

No architecture, because the oozes themselves are their entire homes and don't require more upkeep than "don't die" and "eat food". Again, just a swamp, except the water is oozes.

All along, it turns out the oozes only wanted to talk, except their talking killed you.
>>
File: 1529086197055.png (11 KB, 154x150)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>66247395
they do have a society. it's based entirely on bribing anyone significantly bigger than you into not killing you and hoarding gold so you can do that.
>>
>>66248068
That is some of the stupidest shit I have ever read, and I read the Diveregnt series.
>>
I remember one of the old FR books describing an adult dragon who spent a lot of effort and energy to slaughter a whole bandit fort just to steal all of their shit and make a hoard for himself.
Flying back home, carrying this huge hoard, exhausted, he got jumped by a tribe of three dozen trolls.
While he did kill a great deal of them, he was injured and the survivors ran off with half of his loot.
The plot hook was that the dragon realized he fucked up by taking over this area (it used to be the territory of a more powerful dragon who died years prior), but he can't find a safer place to live until he can get enough treasure together to bribe the other dragons whose territories he would be passing through.

To me that kind of symbolized dragons. This young shit head thought he could just take over where an older and more powerful dragon left a vacuum, got fucked because he's not as hot shit as he thought he was, and now he is in hot water because other dragons are going to gladly kick him while he's still down.
>>
File: 1548288294719.jpg (4.26 MB, 3741x2521)
4.26 MB
4.26 MB JPG
>>
>>66248701
Because you only ever hear the tale where the dragon gets slain. Humans don't tell the stories where they die, and ordinary situations like "that guy who was incapable of killing a dragon" don't make for great legends.
>>
>>66249891
From a comic with an already absurd storyline and goofy plot twists that felt the bizzare need to make its MC learn every magic system in the entire setting. This was yet another hilarious and welcome scene.
>>
>>66249891
That's some good shit, can I get the sauce?
>>
>>66249230
Extremely social creatures?
>>
>>66249958
You're in for one hell of a ride...
https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/The-Black-Moon-Chronicles
>>
>>66249595
>>66249522
So, is this just a story of space pirates stumbling across a small amount of phazon?
>>
>>66247427
That's why dragons are extinct in my setting. There's nothing particularly interesting to do with them, so I figured not having them would be better.
>>
>>66249975
I can already tell that this story is going to go to several weird places, and I love it.
>>
>>66249648
What if dragons were eusocial?
>>
>>66250015
>story
Don't think of it as a plot so much as a vehicle to justify looking at pretty pictures and you'll enjoy it a whole lot more.
>>
>>66250029
Fair enough.
It really is some nice art.
>>
>>66249987
Basically, yeah
>>
>>66250041
You might enjoy the plot, but the MC's power wank is disgusting. It starts off semi reasonable and then hits a sweet spot about midway through, and then just shits itself past a certain part that kills most if not all of the suspense and basically turns the entire plot into a character drama rather than an adventure.
>>
>>66249705
That's a pretty cool idea. Basically a sentient swamp, that to all outsiders just appears like a dead, undulating bog. Are there trees in the super ooze? I'm picturing some birches, like they would stand in a moor. What plothooks would arise from such a society? What would a group of aventurers coming across the ooze town even do, other than trying to cross it or get around it? Maybe retrieve an important item that has fallen into the center of it? (Maybe it is a jewell granting a light intelligence buff, causing the ooze to be sentient in the first place.)
>>
>>66249962
They are? I thought the one thing truely holding them back is that they aren't all that social. That, and their short life span. So information doesn't really transfer well between generations, and thus can't be amassed.
>>
>>66249144
protip: dragons dont exist
>>
>>66248083
>OSR faggot has faggot contrarian opinion
>>
>>66247647
Tf are you on that’d be lit. Imagine toppling their galaxy wide empire in a space DnD game. Not done in 5E though there’s a ton better systems for space games. Besides lore wise the future IS 90% mindflayers and aboleths. So even in your shit lore you’re wrong.
>>
>>66248624
Just use magic to force your thoughts into their head. EZ
>>
>>66250118
They are social apparently. Tons of articles pop up about it.
>>
>>66250384
Huh. Then I guess we should consider ourselves lucky that they live underwater. Can't really build shit underwater.
>>
>>66249144
brainlet here, are eagles social? because they are very smart and they mostly just use it to kill animals with gravity from what I've seen.
>>
>>66250417
Eagles aren't even that smart, actually. If you want smart birds, ravens are parrots are what you should be looking at.

But of course eagles do have a certain intelligence. That anon is way too absolute when saying that intelligence is mostly found in social animals. Lots of predators need intelligence, for obvious reasons.
>>
>>66250435
but parrots and ravens are certainly social, I wasn't looking for the smartest birds just a bird that is certainly intelligent beyond instinct and solo preditors.
>>
>>66250417
Yes, they're pretty damn smart. Highly social they mate for life and utilize advanced hunting techniques. One of the most distinctive mating traits in the entire animal kingdom are the "weddings" that Bald Eagles have where they both fly high into the air grasp each others talons and then free fall for several hundred feet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyMl2nYBDE
>>
>>66250504
>but parrots and ravens are certainly social
Yeah that was kinda my point.

>>66250591
Interesting. I didn't know that.
>>
File: S01E01-Glenn_w_Bible.jpg (19 KB, 300x441)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>66247395

Realistically because civilization only came about because humanity was knocked around by devastating natural disasters and then the disasters let up enough that humanity had the need to develop agriculture, writing, and architechture to survive the next wave. This means that Civilization is started to compensate for hardship. Thus, if a species is so strong it doesn't get affected by the weather, hunger, or anything else then it does not need civilization and will never make anything. It doesn't need to.

In truth its because they ripped off tolkien when they wrote this crap down and Smog liked squatting in dwarf holes than making his own house.
>>
>>66247494

Are these dragons also in settings with a high enviromental message?
>>
>>66251118
Actually, agriculture came about because that was the simplest way to get drunk. People sure as hell weren't farming grain because they liked eating grain so much, especially if you look at how natural grain looked like before we cultivated it.

Also, Smaug isn't the first dragon to sit in dwarf holes. Fantasy authors aren't just ripping off Tolkien, they are fulfilling classic mythological tropes.
>>
>>66247603
>Pride
Congrats, the humans bring you food

>Power
Congrats, the humans bring you food if you tell them to.

>Wealth
Congrats, if you give them little gold discs and other shiny rocks they will bring you food.

Honestly, "they tuck you in at night" would have been a better answer.
>>
>>66251213
>People sure as hell weren't farming grain because they liked eating grain so much, especially if you look at how natural grain looked like before we cultivated it.
Wild grain was a very good source of calories. The bulk of the calories consumed by a Hunter/Gatherer society (outliers like the Inuit aside) comes from plant sources. Sure they'd prefer to eat meat compared to wild wheat, but if wild wheat was on hand they'd eat it because the alternative was starving to death.

Farming started in several locations within a fairly short (in geological/evolutionary terms) window of time. A shift in climate due to the end of the ice age was the most likely situation.
>>
>>66248449
>I think this dragon is into some kinky shit.
>>
>>66249280
>not some half-competent asshat

You will respect High Wizard Hugh Mongous and the chivilarous P. I. Staker and thank them for all them have done to protect the fiefdom of Mediville!
>>
/tg/ - Dragons and the Animal Kingdom.
>>
>>66249705

I would imagine calcified tubes would stick out of the water the slimes could use for transportation reasons or to just catch birds easier or something.
>>
>>66250118

Nope, social. They also communicate via skin colors that can't be seen by the human eye. They are super alien, man.
>>
>>66250083
I can only imagine dead trees. They were probably alive before, which makes for a better warning that "woe I probably shouldn't touch this """"water"""" , and oozes could climb the husks ala >>66251629

This is also sort of where the idea sputters out. It would be preferable to think of the Swamp as more than just an obstacle, though one that thankfully can't be brute forced from any non-magical bullshit I can think of.

The half dragon ooze sort of comes to mind as a plausible cause. Arcane experimentation that uplifted something mindless and now it wants to spread intelligence among others of its kind either to plot or out of freakish abomination loneliness. I think the plot thread of "should this new intelligent species be allowed to try to thrive and expand" would be neat, but would probably collapse under the sheer power of murderhobo and the immediate "this needs to stop" of every possible sentient race in the setting.

It could lead into a greater morality dilemma spearheaded by Druids and possibly Lizardmen cultures, perhaps even a dragon (or the Half Dragon Ooze) refusing to allow the Swamp to be culled in the interest of allowing a new sentient species and having the Oozes slowly grow more intelligent throughout the campaign for better or worse. Especially threatening once the oozes realize (like everybody else) they could just dismantle an entire community by slowly rolling over it; with the motivation of eating people. Trying to evacuate or defend the nearest town or city is a little generic, but a good start. It could lead into plot threads about establishing fortifications and walls, while finding an effective way to genocide the Swamp.

Especially neat if the Oozes could feasible spread their newfound intelligence, making even a single survivor a threat.

Finding a way to actually communicate with Oozes would be interesting in order to more directly observe them growing more intelligent over time if people want a spicy hot bath.
>>
>>66251220
>Dragons ultimate goal is to be a much loved celebrity showered in affection.
>>
>>66247395
>A hundred dragons working together
This right here is the problem, for all their brilliance, dragons can’t really wrap their brain around the concept of the “other” in all but the most abstract sense
>>
>>66247395
Dragons are anti-social nerds who are afraid someone will damage their nerd collection (horde).

They should act accordingly. They are your typical incel.
>>
>>66247561
On their dragoness overlord orders them to
>>
>>66247395
They are innately too proud to do so
>>
>>66247395
They are not social enough, as you said.

Also, they don't need to transmit knowledge to each other to be wise, since they live very long lives and can survive a lot more stuff. They just have more learning opportunities even without oral traditions, monuments, books, schools, etc.
>>
It's always the same old excuses. They aren't naturally inclined to, they are too proud, etc etc. Never mind that we are asked to take at face value that they are supposedly as intelligent or more so than humans despite this apparent natural limitation. It's a contradiction of behavior, and in many fantasy settings indirectly or directly results in the dragons being wiped out and dropping like flies, while they sit about doing absolutely nothing about it.
>>
>>66248002
>Adventurer’s face when the dragoness points out his “dragon slayer” business card is missing an s

>>66248552
Other dragons
Or sphinxes, don’t know why but I feel sphinxes might work

>>66251384
In public no less
...mind you it’s not like anything can stop it
>>
So I'm balls deep in the hatchling cloaca, it's screaming and crying for help in its draconic voice, when it's mother bursts into the room. This big old bitch of a blue dragon calls her hatchling a pussy for not being able to handle human dick at its age and promptly starts slicking it's house sized cloaca whole hurling insults at the emotionally and physically ravaged hatchling.

As I finish up, I slip the mother a sack full of gold for having to put up with such a little crying shithead, and that's when the hatchling asked for a kiss before I left. What kind of weak shit is that? I kicked it in the face and it's mother was so embarrassed by its spawn she handed back the gold and said I could use it to raise the disgrace of her making and kicked the little shit out of her den.

That's how I got this blue dragon, and that's why it's called Useless. Not good for much but dicking and kicking.
>>
>>66254054
Not how I was expecting that to go to be honest
>>
>>66254054
The fuck did i just read. are the scalies spilling over from /d/?
>>
In my setting dragons are fairly powerful and intelligent but don't dominate due to a number of factors. One, they are few in number (with elder dragons being extremely rare). Two, they don't tend to get along and many have goals and desires unrelated to conquest. Usually they won't be bothered by others if they have solitary pursuits. And three, and most importantly, there are many forces on the side of Order and Chaos that would oppose attempts by dragons to rule. Gods, mortals, monsters, and even other dragons might stand in the way. Some do try but are defeated for one reason or another.
>>
>>66253820
Yes. I don't get why that is such a hard concept for you to warp your head around. Being intelligent does not necessarily mean acting rational. Intelligence is your problem solving ability, rationality is your problem recognition ability.
>>
>>66254054
Seeing how you appear to be a knower of esoteric dragon stuff, I've always been morbidly curious, just HOW much damage would amputating a great wyrm sized dragon's genitals actually do to said dragon?
>>
>>66254300
And yet even less rational people go into hysteric/defense mode at the slightest perceived chance they or their group might be threatened, to the point where they can discard their normal behavior in order to do anything to survive.
>>
>>66254318
>their group
Why would a dragon care about dragonity as a hole? Obviously he is the most powerful of all, and those other dragons died out of sheer incompetence.

In any case, when a lot of dragons are slain at once or in a short amount of time, that is usually a big fucking deal in any fantasy setting that has dragons. Usually one dragon being killed is the stuff of legends, and most dragons would probably disregard it as a curious event. Because, again, it's not their problem.

I think you view dragons as those things that are constantly killed, and they are too dumb to do anything about it, but if that is the case, chances are the setting you play in is just kinda stupid. In 99.999% of cases, when a man meets a dragon, the man dies. You just happen to play as the 0,001% that survive.
>>
>>66254393
>Obviously he is the most powerful of all, and those other dragons died out of sheer incompetence.
That is the cliche mindset of a typical fantasy dragon, yes. That every one of them ultimately sees themselves as some sort of god and fails to see their own weaknesses which kills them. Every single one falls into the exact same trap thinking things will be different for them. You would think that even basic pattern recognition would be a factor for something that can live long enough to learn from the mistakes of countless others over the course of history.
>>
>>66254506
Yeah, because humans never repeat dumb mistakes, right?
Which setting are we exactly talking about where two dragons make the same mistake and die because of it? Because usually a setting where a dragon dies the standard hybris death where one scale in his chest was loose or whatever, that is a singular event and, again, the stuff of legends.
In settings where there are a bunch of dragons flying around all at once, they tend to be a bit not that powerful and can be killed by basic archery or some good spear most of the time.

I feel like you are throwing multiple settings into one right now.
>>
>>66254623
The circumstances may be different, but they ALWAYS make the exact same mistake, that being to not take their enemies seriously, and to think that there is no chance they can lose.
>>
>>66254743
Again, which setting are we talking about right now?
>>
>>66247395
The way I see it, the hoard mentality always kills draconic civilization. Chromatic dragons are too greedy to cooperate for long and metallic dragons will micromanage everything to the point where conflict arises over who should be calling the shots. Either way dragons wouldn't be able to cooperate and would probably be better off hiding in caves or lording over small populations of other races on their own.
>>
>>66254753
Every single one whenever the dragon isn't just an animal.
>>
>>66254790
Okay, but in said setting there usually isn't a precedent for that. So the "learn from the mistakes of others" accusation doesn't really fly.
>>
>>66254829
If it's usually big news whenever a dragon dies, why wouldn't other dragons know about it?
>>
>>66254054
>>66254097
To be honest when I realized it was edgy torture porn I was expecting the mom to shove both the guy and her daughter up her pussy for some reason
>>
>>66247548
Just as occasionally humanity is granted leaders of exceptional charisma and wisdom, we sometimes get people with immense skill in fighting. sometimes even both.
>>
>But Dragonslayers have the faith of God.

Reminder most stories of Dragonslayers predate Christanity such as Beowulf.
>>
>>66254982
Again - what setting are we talking about? Name a setting where two dragons die by a dumb mistake. I can't really recall one.
>>
>>66253681
>Dragon inadvertently saves small kingdom from terrible threat
>Gets praised and given gifts for days
>Starts liking it
>>
>>66248329
Yes. I dare.
>>
>>66254302
Well, it's a fight ending critical wound. The problem is getting a great wyrm to whip it's dick out in the first place and then you got an elm wood sized dong that you better be bringing a vorpal sword to use against.

Honestly, it would make more sense to get the gnomes to essentially make an elaborate dragon themed real doll with a fuck huge guilottine trap hidden in the cloaca with a trigger system at a deeper portion of the vag to ensure it hacks the base really good. Although I'm unfamiliar with dragon dongs, they might have a knot or something.
>>
>>66255562
Guillotine trap definitely sounds practical, though if one really wanted to kill the dragon simultaneously, would a doll rigged with explosives work or is it too unfocused?
>>
>>66255562
A vorpal sword? Don't suppose slamming a gate would work?
>>
>>66250118
Look up Octlantis; it's a town of octopods off the coast of Australia. Important if True (RIP) did a great episode on it.
>>
File: 1556999553181.jpg (12 KB, 344x259)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>66247395
What makes people so sexually attracted to dragons? They are just cat-like flying lizards.
>>
>>66251629
That is actually a really cool image; it looms like dead trees, but as the party gets close they see a bird fly too close to the top, and an ooze shoots out like foam from a fire extinguisher, engulfs it, and pulls it back to ground.
>>
>>66256316
power maybe
>>
File: 1553146914958.jpg (334 KB, 1267x1606)
334 KB
334 KB JPG
>>66256316
I remember when dragons used to be portrayed as more monstrous, if not outright like a serpent they were bloated and not at all appealing, or more insidious and ugly. But then, we have more modern interpretations that make them majestic, muscular, and healthy looking.
>>
File: thump.webm (2.73 MB, 976x550)
2.73 MB
2.73 MB WEBM
>>66256316
>cat-like flying lizards
Now imagine if this was 5x the size, smarter than you, with sleek exotic scales, inherently magical and is the embodiment of fantasy in general for a lot of kids that grew up reading trashy novels
>>
>>66256316
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Ju3mO50pc
very insightful.
>>
>>66255609

>fire damage

Depends on the dragon. Red dragon might just think it was a really awesome orgasm.

>>66255707

Too blunt to get through the tough hide. A portculis would be a pretty effective middle finger though, but it wouldn't die very fast if at all from the wounds inflicted and now you got an angry dragon to contend with.
>>
>>66257522
What sort of environmental hazards would you suggest using in a small fort, if say available weapons were inadequate and the populace undermanned? Talking desperate measures to get an unlikely kill or repel via de-dicking a drunk dragon that the group otherwise have no business even trying to fight.
>>
>>66251213
>>66251118

Christ...

Agriculture was almost certainly initially developed by fringe peoples. The successful groups claimed good hunting grounds, gathering sites and so on. Groups which had no access to said good grounds had to make do with lesser resources, like shitty wild grasses which could be collected for grain at a massive effort. Then someone had an idea to try and cultivate them and eventually you end up with plants actually worth the effort, in which case they get widely adopted.
>>
>>66257752
>environmental damage

Gets complicated, but odds are low it will be a black or green dragon since their environments of choice are usually not typically inhabited by humans so a highly corrosive acid is a good idea. Proper placement of gelatinous cubes could be effective for quick dick dissolving and in the case the dragon resheathes the dong the slimes just go along and start doing internal damage. This isn't an instant kill, but should be damaging enough and constant enough for the dragon to bug out to deal with the issue while the population in the fort books it or man's a ballista or two to pepper the bastard to death while it freaks the hell out like a guy who shoved his dick into a fire ant nest who somehow got inside his ball sack before unleashing the stings.

Alternatively, still go with guillotine, just make it out of glass. It only needs to work once, afterall.
>>
>>66247395
>Yet they don't build civilizations.
Maybe in shit settings.
>>
>>66258063
Why glass, in particular?
>>
>>66257292
That was oddly informative but equally disgusting. Furries truly are degenerates.
>>
>>66258063
Acid is a good idea, though not sure about gelatinous cubes. Mostly looking at relatively mundane and not exactly prepared for in advance, solutions.
>>
>>66247395
Personally when the matter of dragons ruling the world comes up for me I’ve always sort of pictured the end result something akin to a continental stretch of land broken up into a thousand+ little duchies that are of the same size caliber as the most tightly packed bits of Holy Roman Empire border gore. Single valleys which constitute a natural territorial extent of a given dragon’s ability to patrol just sort of naturally turn into their own little dukedoms with a Dragon hanging out in a great big stone mansion or renovated cave or what have you.
>>
>>66258115
Easier to get the material to make a large heavy glass blade. Use it. It breaks. Melt it back into shape to use again.
>>
>>66258263
could you make a sort of primitive version of flack to shoot at dragons? like launched bombs full of greek-fire or something
>>
>>66257522
How much blunt force would work? Not even to cut through, but to sufficiently damage the entire thing?
>>
>>66258947
Relative to size, a 3 for thick door made of solid steel would be akin to dropping a 1 inch thick index card piece of steel on your dick from your belly button.

It wouldn't feel nice, but wouldn't hurt much. Get a 30 foot long piece of marble that is 5 foot thick and has a retarded amount of extra weight on it and drop it from about forty feet high and it would be akin to dropping a concrete block slab onto your dick from five feet high which might make it burst.

Really, a couple of swinging chain trap logs that clap together with sharpened points would probably do suffice damage.
>>
>>66254982
Not the guy you're responding to, but they certainly would hear about it, they just don't give a fuck. I don't think you understand the sheer arrogance of dragons in most settings. Clearly the dragon that died made a stupid mistake and/or the human in question got so absurdly lucky that the odds of it happening again are basically nil. It totally won't happen to THEM, they're so much smarter and stronger than that dumbass who got killed.
>>
>>66259039
I'd assume more than just two would be needed since it's not likely they'll be walking into the same trap again?
>>
>>66259175
More coverage unless you just want to detonate the tip
>>
>>66248360
So long as men content themselves to sin, that will be so. But know that we, not the Angels, are made in the image of God. Ours is the greater potential for Good, if only we try.
>>
>>66247395
They only care about gold and siring broods. They do rule the world. One dragon could potentially end civilization if it felt like it, but instead it would rather sire a brood then sleep with its plunder for 50 years, rinse repeat.
>>
>>66256316
Power is hot
>>
>Dragon queen ruler of the country we're currently in
>She practices first night right
>Even if people wanted to overthrow her or reform her rule, there's far too many integrated half-dragons

Shit's fucked brehs
>>
>>66261978
So... any of the PCs planning to get married?
>>
>>66262058
Actually one was planning on it but now she's withholding, at least within this country because she doesn't want to risk getting cucked and saddled with her husband's half-dragon.

Someone did joke about abusing the doctrine though as a chance to get to bang the queen. But we're not trying to play a game where we overthrow her or something. Just seems like a hopeless endeavor anyway.
>>
>>66248605
the fuck is this
>>
>>66262489
Two dragons about to fight it looks like
>>
>>66262103
>Actually one was planning on it but now she's withholding, at least within this country because she doesn't want to risk getting cucked and saddled with her husband's half-dragon.
>Not trying to go for a threesome with the dragoness queen
She's got shit tastes
>>
File: 1489989511200.png (1.44 MB, 885x1000)
1.44 MB
1.44 MB PNG
Most dragons I've got going tend to run other races civilizations. Being among the most "godlike" of mortal beings to not actually be divine in any way, they as a collection of species have an urge to rule, but cannot rule eachother to much effect, so they use their power to force themselves into a dictating position within a culture of their fancy. Sometimes this works out for them, sometimes it doesn't, and sometimes things go in a direction that makes weighing the pros and cons very difficult.
Despite usually presenting themselves as experienced conquerors and masters of the arcane, the few that don't suffer rebellions often end up learning more than they teach over the course of their appropriation of a civilization. Concepts like abusing capital-based systems to hoard wealth, or applying one's own power and knowledge of the universe into toolmaking, are things that blow the minds of dragons as on their own they never really encountered the direct need to have innovated these.
>>
>>66247590
>>66247667
Imagine being this insecure that seeing any thing not centered around hfy horsewank is "le insignificance". Imagine thinking sci-fi isn't filled with the same human wank.
>>
>>66249280
>it's about one of god's chosen champions
If bless is sticking to you that means you are a chosen champion already.
>>
>>66248360
Angel cannot a be a righteous creature by definition. Obeying God is their fundamental nature, and thus there is no virtue in it. Only a free-willed creature such as man can be righteous, as it is flawed and burdened by sin, but still chooses the virtuous path.
>>
>>66247768
Or maybe because your average dragon has the personality of an entitled, silver-spoon CEO that believes in the worst facets of social Darwinism.
>>
>>66247508
>reptiles
>lack the most fundamentally basic emotional capacity
... Excuse me?
Not all reptiles are emotionless. They're different from mammals for sure, and they express their emotions in different ways, and it's true they don't tend to be as social, but some are. And needing to start the day with a good preheating doesn't change that.
>>
>>66247561
What kind of lame kobolds are in your setting?
>>
>>66247571
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs
The rest of the hierarchy. I assume a dragon doesn't care too much about love/belonging, but esteem and self-actualization are up there.

Plus entertainment. Humans play SimCity and Civilization on the computer. Dragons can play it in real life.
>>
>>66247672
Killer whales are some of the strongest creatures on earth individually, able to solo body most of their prey, and still live in pods. Not quite civilization but about as close as anything neither human nor eusocial gets.
>>
If a dragon ruled as a king, and took many wives during his vast lifetime, outliving his wives and entire generations of his mortal descendents, but then suddenly died, who do you think comes next in succession?

The eldest living male descendent from his first wife or the daughter from the wife just before he died? I don't know dick about how monarchies work.
>>
>>66268217
the eldest and most fit to rule i'd say, this could be his eldest son from his first wife or his youngest son from his last wife depending on how many of his children are even alive or capable of ruling. depends if the kingdom prefers boys or girls as the ruler also
>>
>>66268217
Whoever has the most immediate leverage. The system is too unusual to draw parallels with existing succession laws, and even then history knows HUNDREDS of said laws and their systems, and EVEN THEN they were often disregarded because a pen is not actually mightier than a sword.
>>
>>66268240
>>66268247
Cool. The fact that there wasn't an immediate obvious answer means there's enough mental wiggle room that I can pretty much do whatever I want for internal logic. It was a setup for a not!France setting in a campaign I was planning with the nobility all being related to the original dragon king by blood and they're all conniving for the throne because of the power vacuum left by his death.
>>
>>66247395
Dragon civilization got destroyed 2000 years ago and each generation since then gets more feral and weaker. At this point there are only three ancients are left.
>>
Whats a good motivation for Dragons to conquer a place?
>>
>>66268372
Generally greed, prestige or vengance.
>>
>>66268393
is desperation a good motivator? the area im thinking of having my dragons conquer is rich in megafauna and has a similar environment to their homeland that got destroyed.
>>
>>66268422
Why not. If the dragon has no home it needs a new one and it isn't going to ask the bipedal insects inhabiting it for permission.
>>
>>66267316
This reads like it was written by an insecure alligator.
>>
File: 1383201153131.jpg (1.17 MB, 1386x1567)
1.17 MB
1.17 MB JPG
Dragons in shadowrun pretty much run the world
>>
>>66247395
The thing about dragons is that they're not extroverts (Bronze excluded) and get mental energy from solitude more than social situations.
Some of the lower-int dragons don't realize this and try to rule human/kobold/dwarven cities, but end up getting really fucking annoyed at all these pissants petty problems and social intrigues. They understand them all. They can see how they'll play out 12 moves in advance. It's like a young child who insists on explaining things you already know to you, except the kid's not yours and it hasn't gotten any smarter over 12 years.
So they eventually fuck off to live in solitude because fuck other people.
>>
>>66247414
Lizardmen have societies.
Orcs have societies.
Drow have societies.
Illithid have societies.
Xvarts have societies.
Goblins have societies.
Yaun-Ti have societies.
Kobolds have societies.

Try reading beyond the statblock of most monsters.
>>
>>66247395
They don't need it.
>>
>>66251220
>Dragons are just really huge puppies
I like this.
>>
>>66248552
Tigers
>>
>>66247427
Why would one seek to rule over their food, or an inferior less intelligent species? It'd be like whites ruling over niggers and we all know how that turned out.
>>
>>66270687
it's called agriculture.
>>
>>66270687
Sure the other fantasy races on average are better than the average human, but the best of man crushes the best of everyone else.
>>
>>66270744
So sayeth human conceit.
>>
>>66270731
Too tedious. Dragons are lazy, not stupid. Humans are uncontrollable savages. Why bother when dragons can just let humans breed like rodents, then eat said humans at their leisure?
>>
>>66270829
And yet it is always the dragon who dies of underestimating his human foes. never the other way around.
>>
>>66270855
Only in the books and movies written by humans. If dragons were real we would all be completely fucked.

1. Vastly superior physicality.
2. Vastly superior intellect.
3. Innate WWII level firepower, armor, and weaponry.
4. Magic. Lots and lots of Magic. May as well be flying immortal nuke dispensers.
5. Strategically minded and live where humans are likely to die (volcanos, icy mountain caves high up on cliffs, disease infested swamps, etc.).
6. Minions (golems, dragonbutt kissing wizards, etc.).
7. Insane Longevity.

In any real world setting we would literally have to nuke them. ...and even that isn't likely to work (wall of force, prismatic sphere, control weather (planes and missiles fall from the sky), reverse gravity, etc.). We would be so completely fucked.

Even in a magical world, any DM who just lets the party win is an idiot who knows nothing of strategy.

Dragons aren't just bags of bloated hit points. Their very nearly gods.
>>
>>66270960
If dragons were real they wouldn't fly or breath fire. I'd guess they'd be much smaller and live in a hot place like some island in indonesia.
>>
>>66270992
>If dragons were real they wouldn't fly or breath fire.
Bat sized with bombardier beetle style fire-breath?
Maybe using a different chemical reaction to get more firey fire-brath
>>
>>66270960
If dragons were real they would be long dead like all the other megafauna.
>>
>>66270992
If the dragons in all those stories, which is what we're talking about (so save your smartassery for someone who cares), we would be fucked. Unfortunately a lot of faggy, limp dicked, loser GMs play dragons as if dragons are just stupid lizards so they can give their players unearned experience points and be all like..."Yeah, my party took on a dragon. It was so cool. Derp. Derp.". ...and fags like that deserve to be slapped for their utter stupidity.

Dragons should ALWAYS be a challenge.
>>
>>66270960
Settings vary. Old myths have dragons as nothing but pests. If dragons were real than we can assume magic is real among other things that humans can use. Then what's to stop a group of people from learning magic and slaying a dragon. After all the most consistent theme with dragons is they live alone. Often times it's a team that defeats them.
>>
>>66270960
Literally the only way for dragons to EVER beat humans is to exterminate them before they even become humans.
>>
>>66271032
Mega fauna have none of the advantages dragons have aside from size. People like you are exactly what is wrong with D&D these days. MMORPGers will never understand anything beyond monsters being hit point, experience, and gold coin bags. They never actually have to face a real challenge. Ever.

Dragons should make your players shit their pants. Not make them rub their greedy little hands together in anticipation.
>>
>>66271063
Classic dragons are intelligent and powerful. In most RPGs this is the standard.
>>
>>66271093
Delusional thinking.
>>
I always run dragons as ruthlessly and as intelligently as possible. Most players have their characters die after a few elementals summoned by a dragon kill them off. The smart characters run.

When actually faced with the dragon itself (assuming they got past all its guardians, traps, tricks, distractions, etc.), it is rare for them to win, but when they do, they feel as if they EARNED that victory, because they DID. They also remember that encounter forever, have funerals for those that died, etc. Roleplaying actually becomes roleplaying instead of ROLLplaying.
>>
>>66270960
Dragons have no society, no technology, nothing. Fantasy plays them up as smart, smarter even than humans, but they live no differently from animals and often make the stupidest mistakes possible when confronted with persistent and relentless enemies that won't just lay down and die.
>>
>>66247395
Gold dragons kinda do
https://youtu.be/NN-TSzhzC6w
The head gold dragon rules the world of gold dragons, and each one control their own bits as far as i recall.
I think silvers also have a tribe or something, i can't recall, but they have to ask yhe elder for permission to breed with another dragon and it is advized to be other tribes
>>
>>66271610
You are arguing for the sake of arguing at this point. Idiots like you make poor human beings. Later, jerkoff.
>>
>>66247395
It ultimately boils down to this: they don't need to. They're perfectly happy in caves, stealing treasure, eating livestock, and hibernating for most of the time. Humans inherently created civilisation as a means to have an easier life. Dragons already have it easy.
>>
>>66249420
Onyxia?
>>
File: 1539337643688.png (183 KB, 500x400)
183 KB
183 KB PNG
>>66270960
THEY ARE GODS YOU STUUUUUUUUUUUPID HUMAN
>>
>>66274711
Just cause your mistress makes you worship her cloaca doesn't make her a goddess you stupid kobold
>>
File: 1532562728143.jpg (102 KB, 640x640)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>here's your dragon, bro
>>
>>66270960
>t. Kobold
>>
>>66276763
>SMASHED and SLAMMED
>>
File: 1556549242617.png (265 KB, 500x375)
265 KB
265 KB PNG
>>66249144
did the dragons in your setting come about through evolution?
>>
>>66247395
The villain in my current campaign is a dragon who's a high official in a government and plans to unearth ancient artifacts to further his rule. He does have a dragon hoard and all that but the dragon hoard is like step 1 for a dragon, once he has amassed wealth he invests it in power. Because dragons are all about power. Am I doing it wrong then?
>>
File: 101993530[1].jpg (110 KB, 600x349)
110 KB
110 KB JPG
Ask the Chinese.
>>
>>66248659
this is a very disgusting image
>>
>>66281049
Kill them while they're young with 5 people, or lose 5000 when they grow up.
>>
>>66247548
And humans die from mosquito bites
>>
>>66247751
>fantasy races being smart is "realismfaggotry"
D&D trannies are mentally ill.
>>
>>66248605
>>66270636
based
>>
>>66247395
Jokes on you, my world is ruled by a clan of dragons
>>
File: 1557331684139.png (490 KB, 475x792)
490 KB
490 KB PNG
>>66248462
>octopi

IT'S OCTOPUSES

IT'S A GREEK WORD YOU FAGGOTS, NOT LATIN
>>
>>66283472
>IT'S A GREEK WORD

The plural is octopodes, *because* it's a Greek word.
>>
>>66276763
That's a halfdragon though
>>
>>66284203
It's still cute
>>
>>66247395
Speak for yourself, I routinely have an area called "the Draconic Kingdoms" in my settings that is ruled by virtuous dragons. Mostly for evil dragons I keep them as the standard loot hoarding village burning type. But even they will often rule civilizations of kobalds or lizardmen and I don't think that's out of place even in most standard DnD settings.

Then of course there's the "secret dragon king". If you've got an immortal king that claims to be a demigod, have drank from the fountain of eternal youth, or whatever other form of immortality, its basically a crapshoot as to whether he's a dragon, vampire or demon in disguise (or possibly telling the truth?)
>>
>>66286601
yep
>>
>>66249637
>2 remaining survivors
both dudes?
>>
>>66247395
because they, like humans, have different opinions and desires, which split them into subgroups, in this case chromatic, which are evil in most cases as they worship Tiamat, and the metallic dragons worship Bahumat as the good and just one, and because of that infighting inevitably breaks out and what survivors last scatter and stick to themselves or small groups.
>>
Dragons are iconic antagonistic creatures that represent that which men hate and must destroy in order to better oneself. All kinds of Dragons should always strictly be simple evil beasts or destructive mindless creatures that only exist to destroy. Any changes to this tried and true formula just results in cringe. The only people who like that shit are furfags.
>>
Think of a dragon as a typical cat.

>Hyper predator that can and will depopulate vast areas.

A large population of dragons is highly unsustainable, and food will become extremely scarce.

>Lazy and sleep often. Bad for civilization which needs workers to build, create goods, and farm.

Dragons would probably resort to just taking what they want from nearby places, becoming a very raiding and warlike civilization that will only earn them the ire of their neighbors.

>Arrogant. "Why should I be the farmer!? I'm obviously the best candidate to be the ruler!"

Dragons would be extremely unstable around each other if power and wealth are on the line, and for the sake of maintaining their image, they will very commonly employ proxy battles against their political rivals to cover their tracks.

>The only workaround to these problems is enslaving other races to do the menial work.

Unlike kobolds, not a lot of races will tolerate this arrangement for long, and will likely cause dragons to become the target of mass rioting on a world scale.

So yeah, it'd be a very fun campaign.
>>
>>66254743
well we dont repeat the mistake .... has somebody talk about going to russia in winter is a good idea ? underestemating russians ? Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden, the short frenchman and this crazy austrian want to talk about this
>>
>>66247395
Simple: Why would they bother? Society didn't just poof into existence because it was bound to happen, statistically. Civilizations and trade networks and governments evolved out a system of incentives and human needs which dragons simply do not have. Anything they desires can be achieved through means which require significantly less work than creating a tax structure.
>>
>>66270855
"Man kills dragon" is worthy of a story. "Dragon kills man" is about as interesting as "Barack Obama buys a sandwich"

>>66247561
>why doesn't a largely subterranean race make buildings aboveground
A mountain becomes a fortress. Wherever the dragon is, is their place of worship. Armor, weapons, magic items, these are plentiful (mostly by theft), but only used by permission of the dragon.
That said, if the dragon's main chamber isn't well-decorated with fine sculpting of the walls, possibly with magnificent stone effigies of the dragon, they have faulty kobolds.

>>66255230
>inadvertantly
>his breakfast he caught just happened to be a feared wizard
>scrawny little bastard, had to go find a deer afterwards to sate his appetite
>three days later, some humans are cheering and singing happy songs about what they assumed must have been a terrible battle
>dragon literally just bit his head off while he was resting in a forest
>>
>>66295248
>"Barack Obama buys a sandwich"
Don't be racist, anon.
>>
>>66248515
>dragon acts like a giant cat
>sits in a box and pushes stuff off the ledge to see what happens

>>66248536
That's a mighty strong tail he's got.

>>66248659
>"Bondage, breathplay, and knifeplay? Why are dragons always our kinkiest clientele?"

>>66249922
Exception: rather funny stories.
>A man left Chelm to explore the world, and visited a town plagued by a dragon. Hearing of the tragedy the beast brought upon the residents, the man decided to kill the dragon. He thought to himself,
>"I should visit the wise men of this town and learn how to deal with such a creature."
>"But if they were truly wise, they would already have defeated it. So there are no wise men in this city."
>"But from Chelm, our wise men can solve any problem! So I should ask the wisest man of Chelm."
>He looked all throughout the town, but he could find no other person from his hometown. Seeing as he himself was the wisest man of Chelm around, he consulted himself.
>"What makes a dragon different from another dangerous beast? His fire breath, and his scales. If I avoid both, it will be as though killing a large wolf."
>"To avoid his scales on the outside, I must strike his insides. But his mouth is where fire comes from, so I must not go through his mouth. I will instead go through his nose instead, and that way harm his head."
>"Now for what to use. I do not have a sword, but that is fine - others have tried with a sword, and failed. So a sword will merely lead to failure. A sword cuts and slashes, so a weapon that does neither will do best. As the wisest man of Chelm, then, I will use a hammer to crush the dragon's brain through his nose!"
>The dragon disagreed.
>The town of Chelm was told news of the man's death. After the funeral, the smartest men in Chelm gathered to discuss what should have been done, at the request of the messenger. An hour later, they have an answer.
>"The fire spread from its mouth to him. He ought to have fed the dragon flour, and thus smothered its flames."
>>
File: 1406407620507.jpg (144 KB, 1048x700)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
>>66268512
More likely an offended tegu. They're cute, curious, and can be mildly affectionate

>>66274711
What a cutie. I want to rub her snout and tell her she's being a good kobold.

>>66276472
Isn't there a ritual a dragon can perform to ascend to deityhood? Involves eating all of their hoard or something.
The little lizard's dragoness could well be a god, just a small one.

>>66278964
Is that Daniel Radcliffe?
>>
>>66247395
>ctrl+F
>Eberron
>No results

Fuck's wrong with y'all?
>>
File: Drmg232-Balagos.pdf (116 KB, PDF)
116 KB
116 KB PDF
>No mention of the legendary dragon king
>>
>>66296091
>Isn't there a ritual a dragon can perform to ascend to deityhood? Involves eating all of their hoard or something.
Yep, though depending on how she defines her hoard, the kobold may be on the menu as well
>>
>>66247427
>Hey, these monkeys are pretty good at making food and wealth, I shall become their god
>Fucking Tyrandar burnt all my monkeys now I need to hunt again fuck that guy.
>>
>>66297098
Those monkeys were part of your hoard, go kill that bastard
>>
>>66249144
>brainlets think fantasy creatures have to have evolved
>>
>>66247395
I could see that working for the sort of classical fantasy dragon that has become the norm these days. However, my setting does not have that sort of dragon.
>>
>>66247395
They do. It is just too large of a scale alien of a concept for you to realise.
>>
If dragons are such hot shit, why are humanoids the dominant force in the world?
>>
>>66302302
It's an anthropocentric fantasy. When we win, and we always do in the end, it's to show that we were victorious against the most beastly and strong of enemies. Dragons exist to be slain in order for us to get our egotistical rocks off while doing so. The dragon slaying fantasy fulfills the exact opposite role of the Lovecraftian. It's a paper tiger.
>>
>>66247508
>>66268512

Pic related: a reptile that engages in life-long monogamy and raises its own childen.
>>
>>66303635
All reptile owners make up lies. They think snakes can show them affection FFS.
>>
>>66302606
I think we all know that, but what's a decent in-lore justification for it?
>>
>>66303988
It doesn't need one because it's so common and ingrained that most people will generally take it at face value without challenging it.
>>
>>66304035
Just like they take for granted that horse's hoofsteps always sound like coconut shells struck together?
>>
>>66249637
>two remaining dragons

one good one evil, close during their early life, cooperating because they're reluctantly forced to.
>>
>>66249648
that explains a lot about 4chan.
>>
File: behindthelines_295.jpg (11 KB, 200x153)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>66247776
>>66247824
>>66247944
>>66249705

primitive era of the The Founders of the Dominion?
>>
>>66247395
Because any dragon that attempts to rule an actual civilization is quickly stomped by legendary heroes. Sure, dragons are far more powerful on average but they can't compare to the statistical outliers of the other races, and the incredibly high rate at which these races reproduce.
>>
>>66304877
How come there's never a group of legendary dragons who comes out of the woodwork to stomp all the legendary heroes?
>>
>>66247395
They start out as the most powerful beings in existence. No need to form a society to protect yourself when you can essentially dominate anything with a little work and patience.
>>
>>66247561
Voreposters get OUT
>>
>>66304974

Because they don't work together. It's like the old saying about elves, dwarves, and humans.

Say there's a magic location that needs to be protected for 200 years.
A dwarf will build a dungeon full of traps, puzzles, and fake treasure rooms. Dwarves live long, and build longer; they believe in hard work and craftsmanship.
An elf will just... guard it. They'll hide it, then hang out nearby for 200 years, assassinating or misleading anyone who gets too close. They'll just do it themselves.
A human will found an order of knights to guard it. Humans don't live long, so when they want to do something worthwhile they have to create a group that will outlast them.

Dragons are like elves, except even more extreme. They're unique, each one a legend.

Except of course in the many, many settings where dragons are either more common or more social and do work together all the damn time.
>>
>>66249120
Well, in a straight-up fight, the titan is extremely likely to win, because its weapon/armor/shields are just way better than the physical/breath weapon output of the dragon.

If the dragon isn't dumb, though, instead of allowing a straight-up fight, it uses plane shift or limited wish on the titan to dump it somewhere hazardous, use polymorph and teleport to transport inside and attack the operators directly, etc. Basically just high-end wizard tactics, as aided by still having all the dragon stats at human size.
>>
>>66269897
I like this.
>>
>>66296091
http://dnd.arkalseif.info/classes/dragon-ascendant/index.html
>>
For dragons who are merely powerful apex predators or forces of nature with the intellect of a raccoon or a dog, how do we explain them not infesting the world and destroying every civilization?
If they are beasts, they had to come from some evolutionary process, therefore men couldn't succeed on creating civilization because they already have trouble with them in the medieval era, dragons would have annihilated early men with ease.
They don't have any natural predators, and possibly never had, so they could just reproduce as much as they like and kill nearly everything.

How do we fix bestial dragons? (Arguably the best and only way to run dragons in most systems)
>>
So if the more violent and aggressive dragons all end up gradually killed off over time by humanoid heroes, wouldn't that end up the same as gradually domesticating them?
>>
>>66305168
Shouldn't 1 legendary dragon still be > than a handful of legendary heroes most of the time then? And shouldn't said dragon become even stronger each time it learns from the last group of heroes who failed?
>>
File: lxlmomDlzY1qgjlhf.jpg (34 KB, 500x354)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>>66305317
Their descendants would be weaker since only those who were not threatening enough and passive enough would be the ones with a chance to be domesticated.
Eventually they would become a much weaker breed but still useful to whoever was able to train them, particularly as tools of war.
>>
File: 1548199279382.jpg (320 KB, 1920x1440)
320 KB
320 KB JPG
>>66305354
>here's your domesticated dragon
>>
>>66305385
>>
>>66305385
That's not a dragon, that's a wyvern!
>>
>>66305488
That's just how degenerate they have become through human artificial selection
>>
>>66247427
I personally like them being the big fallen empire that has to exist for unreplicable magic items and ruins to exist everywhere.

Dragons were the rulers, and also the heavy cavalry. Dragonborn were the officers, specialists, and knighthood (born as in, they rode, which the other two classes did not). Kobolds were the footsoldiers and peasantry.

When Tiamat and Bahamut split so too did the dragons. The royalty split into Eastern Good Metallics and Western Evil Chromatics. Those that didn't kill each other off scattered, each to rule their pile of dirt somewhere.
>>
>>66283472
It's OCTOPODES
>>
>>66307514
Ok-toe-pod-ees? or is it poed-ees
>>
>>66307583
You could say Octo pohdz or Octo poh deez, I'm not sure which
>>
>>66247427
>Most people don’t want their setting to be ruled by the iron-scaled fist of a draconic dictator
A nation ruled by one of these guys sounds pretty neat for a setting though
>>
>>66247427
Tarkir was awful
>>
>>66248326
Why is that dragon hot
>>
>>66248552
Dragons can fucking fly
>>
>>66308413
you're not supposed to think its hot
>>
>>66308458
Oh, sorry

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.