[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: jpzj94j8cox21.jpg (909 KB, 4200x5940)
909 KB
909 KB JPG
Landmark Edtion

>Unearthed Arcana: Artificer v2
https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/UA-Artificer2-2019.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20and%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread: >>66237497
What are some notable places in your setting, /5eg/?
>>
I saw a bunch of posting in the previous thread about "new" artificer while making a cursory scroll through it, did they release a new version of the 2.0 one or something?
>>
>>66243965
There's a big city like a week or more ride away from our home camp. We've only ever been to one small settlement so far, just hoofing it in the wilderness.
We are finally going to go to a city after about 4 months of weekly sessions, so that's pretty significant.
>>
I'm making a Bugbear Arcana Cleric. What cantrips and spells do you recommend?
>>
>>66244033
yes
>>
>>66244056
Any major changes or just tweaks?
I suppose I'll just read it myself.
>>
Asking again, what do y'all think about letting Artificer "install" infusions to buff/improve Iron Defender or Homunculus. How far would you let an Artificer go? Only infusions/magic items that don't require attunement? Infusions/magic items that grant additional options for actions/bonus actions? What about casting spells via spell-storing object(infusions can be spell-casting foci)?
>>
File: 1547086881294.png (203 KB, 439x347)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
Kensei Monk's Agile Parry doesn't specify a target. Can I just punch the ground to gain +2AC on my turn?
>>
>>66244076
Artificer is designed to be sort of a pet/companion class now.
>>
>>66244120
RAW, yes.
>>
>>66244120
Don't be a shitbag.
>>
Youtubers worth watching for informational content? Not playthroughs.
>>
>>66244120
>>66244137
But there's no point in doing it, now that I think about it.
>>
>>66244055
Booming blade and green-flame blade are the typical arcana cleric picks but they don't function with long-limbed unless you have the spell sniper feat, since they stipulate a 5ft range.
So you either take them anyway aware of that limitation or get something like minor illusion, prestidigitation or mage hand.
Clerics prepare spells so you get the full list.
>>
Anyone else sick of all these classes that use spellcasting modifiers for weapon attacks?
>>
>>66244056
you misread the question dumbass
>>
>>66244144
please.
>>66244169
I can think of a couple.
>>
>>66244188
The 2 of them?
>>
>>66244120
Just don't play kensei, it's a retarded design.
>>
File: 1539181114075.jpg (503 KB, 1200x1696)
503 KB
503 KB JPG
Planning on having the PCs (5 players, All lv3) a mansion and some land. They'll have to solve why it's haunted and all that junk, but I fear it might be more then what they should have at that level.

Thoughts?
>>
>>66244188
this is because of all these gishfags complaining
>>
>>66244188
you mean Hexblade and Shillelagh? what else am I missing
>>
I just discovered the 5e tools supplement to roll20es, what's cool stuff i can do with it besides steal content
>>
>>66244238
Artificer
>>
>>66244238
Artificer can do it too.
>>
File: scatman.gif (187 KB, 499x350)
187 KB
187 KB GIF
>>66244127
This is really starting to irk me. It would be cool if there were one artificer that specialized in building little constructs that gradually become frankensteins and shield guardians and shit, but it feels tacked on with the other ones. I really hope the survey is full of people saying they don't like the pet parts.

The only ones it seems to fit on are the wand artificer (because summoning magical floating crystals that zap your enemies while you dart around sounds rad) and the Battlesmith sounds -okay- but feels like it could just be turned into THE companion archetype and skip all the battle medic stuff; something alchemist could already do on its own.
>>
>>66244261
>>66244256
oh, hadn't read it. not sure how I feel about that. what level do they unlock the ability?
>>
>>66244229
Ordinary nobles aren't any stronger than a third level character anyway.
I'd offer them the option to take it or sell it. Maybe give them a range of characters they can sell to and the shady characters that would use it to traffic child slaves or whatever pay the most.
>>
>>66244222
I bet you're the type who also believes physical stats shouldn't be used for spellcasting.
>>
>>66244188
All they need to add now is a way to attack with CON.
>STR, obviously
>DEX, ranged and Finesse
>CON
>INT, Artificer
>WIS, Shillelagh
>CHA, Hexblade or Tome Shillelagh

You actually can attack with CON if you take the UA Aberrant Dragonmark and choose a Cantrip with an attack roll, such as Shocking Grasp, but it's a specific spell attack and not generic melee attack.
>>
>>66244285
>>
>>66244285
>>
>>66244300
Knowing them, they'd take it, though would it be cliche to have it given to them via the will of a deceased relative.

Would you think it's something to do or not?
>>
>>66244306
you could int attack before with the UA theurgy wizard getting shillelagh via nature domain
so a wizard subclass stealing a cleric subclass's ability to steal druid spells
>>
>>66244302
Nah, i'd be okay with that. It's kinda the same at the end of the day, though CON and DEX do quite a bit more stuff than the mental stats.
>>
>>66244229
Depends. Maintaining property can be costly, especially with hired help.
So this can be a reason for them to go out and make more coin or a reason for them to hunker down and manage a budget, depending on how you handle it and what resources they have.
>>
>>66244306
Missing Martial Arts for DEX
Shillelagh is the most limited, being for the last cool weapons only, but it's the easiest to steal.
>>
>>66244152
Agree, WebDM is great.
>>
>>66244306
Don't forget bard has always been able to attack with charisma with shillelagh.
>>
>>66244327
Idk, are there other ways to transfer property ownership?
Is it cliche to drink water out of a cup?
>>
>>66244370
Same with tomelock
>>
>>66244256
>>66244261
>>66244285
Just one subclass (Battle Smith) but yeah. At level 14 Bladesingers get to add INT to their damage while Bladesinging, but don't use it for the attack roll.
>>
>>66243965
There's a city with districts that reflect all of the D&D alignments and is the center of religious conflict, but it's not that interesting.
>>
>>66244357
It might be boring but mechanically it's solid.
>d8, a Longsword's damage
>Magic Weapon by default
>One handed so you can use a shield, (And if you're using Shillelagh you're probably also wanting the extra AC)
>If you lose your weapon you can literally just cast it on a stick
>>
>>66244357
Hey, a d8 Staff of Power is a gishfag's wet dream. It's got +2 to everything, a smite and cool spells like fireball and wall of force.
>>
File: 1524247416891.png (43 KB, 288x302)
43 KB
43 KB PNG
Everyone says balance falls apart in tiers 3 and 4 (11-16, 17-20). Why? What are the worst offenders?
>>
>>66244403
Eww no. If you're going to gish at least use a real weapon.
>>
>>66244406
Casterchads.
>>
>>66244357
Quarterstaves are PAM+shield+Dueling-compatible and thus, kinda ballin
>>
>>66244399
Why are quarterstaffs more powerful than spears and tridents again?
>>
>>66244406
17+ is dead easy just because of wish alone, but in general 11+ has revival spell problems aside from 'no save, you just suck' spells like wall of force.

At that point wizards for example aren't likely to be running out of spell slots, they have enough to keep going all day. Then, barbarians aren't getting any damage progression whereas paladins, one of the strongest classes already, gets a +1d8 to every attack and more smites and another immunity aura.

Basically casters just get more and more versatility as well as more damage whereas martials just get more damage.
>>
>>66244417
yeah but like specifically why. what spells
>>
File: Capture.jpg (31 KB, 464x361)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>66244437
It's magic nigga
>>
>>66244451
Barbs do kind of get damage progression in tier 3 - their rage uptime over the course of an adventuring day increases with level. Of course if you only run 3 encounters / adventuring day that doesn't matter
>>
>>66244497
You get to rage in encounters that likely weren't very strong in the first place, wow! Such progression compared to 'every single one of your attacks does more damage'
>>
How is the hit point math on he Artificer familiars supposed to work? When it says "5 times your aetificer level + your INT modifer", does that mean the INT mod is applied each level like CON on a regular monster/PC? Or is it applied only once (e.g. a level 6 artificer alchemist with +4 INT would have a 34 HP homunculus, or a 54 HP one?)
>>
>>66244406
I honestly never noticed any issues at 10-15, other than the ability to use the better resurrection spells, at tier 3 and I've been DMing that shit for years.
I personally think Tier 3 is the best part of the game too, so maybe I'm just biased.
>>
>>66244406
The problem I've found is you can't have mundane problems anymore. Big, heavy locked door? Not good enough to keep heroes away. Some nasty beasties playing guardian in the temple? They can be peppered with fireballs before they even smell the party. Need to navigate a forest maze? There's a spell that will tell you the exact distance to your destination so you never get lost.

No, at higher levels shit needs to be hidden in an antimagic chest on the elemental plane of fuck you in the belly of an astral worm or else it's utterly trivial.
>>
>>66244406
See >>66242711
And that's just the most basic comparison possible, "How many attacks can I make?"
>>
>>66244509
>You get to rage in encounters that likely weren't very strong in the first place, wow!
that's 100% dependent on your DM, but I don't particularly feel like getting into it
>>
>>66243965
How does one use the DnD sN!p?
>>
>>66244554
u wot m8
>>
>>66244550
If your DM is not giving you any indication of how hard an encounter is likely to be then it's shit DMing. You could either be in a 'if you don't run this guy is gonna party wipe you in three turns' encounter or a 'You could cast your best spell but it turns out all these enemies actually just die in one hit'
Information to make decisions based off of is a good thing.
If all encounters are the exact same difficulty, I'd be not only incredibly surprised they managed that but that would also sort of suck as well.

Not all encounters are combat encounters, and even then you shouldn't really have more than 3 deadly encounters in a day, I can't quite remember what the book suggests for that. Worst case scenario you get 5 normal encounters a day and you just let the other people burn their resources on the 2 encounters you aren't raging in.
>>
>>66244229
shadows are fucking OP
>>
Anyone else thinking of running/playing an all Artificer party?
Battlesmith as the Fighter
Artillerist is the Mage
Archivist is the Rogue
Alchemist being the Cleric

A handful of promising House Cannith Artificers find themselves caught up in some kind of adventure
>>
>>66244468
Animate Objects for 10d4+40 damage at +8 to hit per round for a minute as a bonus action
Scrying that can break a campaign if a DM isn't specifically prepared for it.
Nosave or suck spells like Wall of Force/Forcecage
Teleportation spells that break the first D in D&D
The ability to bind multiple high-level devils for up to a year via Planar Binding, Magic Circle, and Hallow
Wish to be able to do any of the above without the pricey spell components
True Polymorph to turn yourself or an ally into a CR 20 creature of your choice.
>>
>>66244597
This.
There should be encounters where you have no idea you're going to get fucked and there should be encounters where a scary mage talks big shit and gets hit once and instantly dies.
This is obviously more difficult if your players were DMs at one point, since they most likely have read the majority of monsters.
>I can't quite remember what the book suggests
6-8 medium-hard encounters.
less if you include deadly, more if you include easy.
>>
Rolled 4, 5 = 9 (2d6)

>>
>Be Oath of Devotion Paladin
>Hometown gets scorched, parents and 2 of his 3 siblings dead.
>Cause the beginning of the apocalypse by
divine smiting a book
>Either Killed, or horribly depowered the goddess I worship with an insane zeal (Think IRL idol otaku)
>Handed a second book that's part of the apocalypse to the BBEG to spare his parties lives
>on both attempts I attempt to commit suicide by monster encounter I survive.

Should I just have him hang himself and roll-up a new character to fix his fuck-ups or attempt a redemption arc?
>>
File: 1550735607261.jpg (398 KB, 1662x1688)
398 KB
398 KB JPG
>>66244632
I'm planning on ganging up on the STR dumped character with 6 shadows next session
>>
>>66244676
I hope they at least have a magic weapon.
>>
File: 1375597070074.jpg (126 KB, 900x503)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>66244302
>>66244346
A CON caster would be super-busted, but I still like the concept. Maybe it'd be less busted if it were a half or third caster, perhaps take some kind of HP loss when casting, although maybe that goes against the point.
>>
>>66244676
Only the strong survive.
Make them realize strength helps.
>>
>>66244658
Whatcha rolling for?
>>
Io worshipper, goal is to unite dragonkind and their follower/worshipper. Which class?
>>
>>66244652
Specifically on deadly encounters, because if you have 6-8 medium-hard encounters then you're really just covering for the times you don't wipe them in one or two turns with rage, deadly encounters are the ones you always want to be raging on. I seem to recall 3 or 4 or something like that, and that's how it usually ends up - 2 combat encounters, short rest, 2 combat encounters all of which are usually an attempt at 'deadly. With some traps or some social here or there that probably count to buff it up to 6 since they're not all gonna be deadly or some stuff to run away from or whatever.

>There should be encounters where you have no idea you're going to get fucked and there should be encounters where a scary mage talks big shit and gets hit once and instantly dies.
Only sometimes. Those should be the exception, especially when it's about the encounters where you'd get fucked up.
If you want a campaign that isn't just 'kill everything, everything is killable' then you need to make sure players know 'yeah, this is a really big fucking dragon, we don't want to fight it and its minions' or that the old lady is clearly completely unphased by the party and seems to have an odd collection of arcane shit, that you think you can hear things shifting in the building, that the place has a bad aura.
Giving players the impression an encounter is easy when it is easy also means chances are the encounter will go much quicker and smoother, too. No needless precautions.
>>
>>66244676
Same. The guy playing the highly suboptimal strength bard is gonna walk it off and the str dumped hexblade is toast.
>>
>>66244700
STR casting has very similar flavor/feel and it's not overpowered.
>>
>>66244739
Fighter, because he doesn't give a fuck about mortals enough to empower some schmuck.
>>
>>66244739
Divine Soul or Draconic Sorc, Life or Order Cleric, maybe Devotion or Redemption Paladin.
>>
>>66244544

That's not a good comparison, though.

>first round: bard casts swift quiver with bonus action and makes 2 weak bow attacks
>first round: fighter action surges and makes six great sword attacks
>second round: bard makes 4 weak bow attacks!
>second round: fighter makes three great sword attacks, adding a battlemaster maneuver to each one, for a total of twice the bard's damage plus disarm and trip
You can't just ignore other people's special abilities when making these comparisons.

Balance does become a problem at higher levels, but it's more about spellcaster utility than straight damage. I ran a game up to... what was it, 16? The barbarian was still doing the most damage, but the druid was controlling the battlefield and altering the course of the game with spells in a way she couldn't. Lots of area control spells, utility shapeshifting, divinations, magic-based mobility. I gave the barbarian a magic grappling hook flail, which helped a lot, but it was still tricky to DM for.
>>
File: Orc-Wizard.png (512 KB, 2000x1120)
512 KB
512 KB PNG
>>66244776
That's because Strength doesn't also cover something as important as AC or HP like DEX and CON do.
>>
>>66244799
>what is sharpshooter: the post
>>
>>66244676
the debuff stays until the pc does a short or long rest
>>
>>66244806
Yes, that's the point
>>
>>66244306
To go along with your example, if you were a Genasi caster (or high level Thief Rogue) you could use your racial casting stat Con for any wands or staves you use to cast spells that could involve attacks.
>>
>>66244799
>bard makes 4 weak bow attacks!
>not posted from my 2d6+str oversize longbow plus SS
>>
>>66244306
>>66244841
This, desu, fire genasi already attack with con.
>>
File: 1553124163101.jpg (40 KB, 358x354)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>66244843
>oversized longbow
>restricted to one single module
>>
>>66244879
>generic non-magical item
Anyone with a crafting proficiency could make one in a week or less.
>>
>>66244808

Ok, then the fighter is using great weapon mastery, and probably gets an extra attack or two from killing something, or critting from all his advantage attacks because he proned his opponent.

Two round total is still 9-10 fighter attacks, 6 bow attacks, and the fighter attacks are stronger. Fighters are good at damage. They have less power at high levels because of casters' utility, not damage.
>>
>>66244895
>an extra attack or two from killing something
Now I know you didn't read the rules.
>>
>>66244843
just how much DEX does your SS + 18 STR Oversized Longbow user have at level 10?
>>
>>66244799
>>66244895
>second round: the bard casts steel wind strike to make a total of seven attacks, five of which do 6d10 damage, before teleporting to safety
I mean if the fighter gets to bring action surge into it, he's competing with the class that has access to every spell of the appropriate level.
>>
>>66244895
the sad part here is that Swift Quiver isn't actually the best way for the Bard to deal damage

Animating Objects on a handful of coins or upcasting Spirit Guardians or whatever, depending on the situation, is going to do a lot more than Swift Quiver

also who compares 2 round dpr? most whiteroom math I've seen uses 3 which seems more accurate to my play experience
>>
Holy shit, those Battle Smith extra spells are complete garbage
>>
>>66244903

We're talking about two rounds. The bonus attack from kill or crit takes a bonus action, so max two extra attacks in two rounds.

If we're talking one round, the bard only gets two attacks to the fighter's six.

And the fighter probably proned his opponent on one of the first two attacks, so he's actually hitting with all his -5 +10 attacks.

Swift quiver and sharpshooter are good. But they don't make you as good at damage as a damage class.
>>
Bane or Bless?
>>
>>66244903
I could see it happening once or twice over two rounds. It's very dependent on circumstance, though
>>
>>66244971
bless cant fail
>>
>>66244971
Bane if you're mostly working with other casters, Bless if you're mostly working with martials. If it's a mix, bless' bonus to three people is generally better than bane's debuff against one, no matter how strong.
>>
>>66244956
>>66244895
>Bard takes 2 or 3 levels in Fighter for Archery + Action Surge
>Fighter goes back to being utterly BTFO until he hits level 20
>>
>>66244971
Bless doesn't have a save throw.
>>
>>66244956
>>66244911
>>66244895
the person who really gets blown the fuck out in the tier 3 comparison isn't the Fighter, it's the poor Ranger.
>>
>>66244991
>2 or 3 levels
the discussion was at level 11 and Valor/Swords bards only get magical secrets at 10, so they can't take more than 1 level.
>>
>>66244939

>Animating Objects on a handful of coins or upcasting Spirit Guardians or whatever, depending on the situation, is going to do a lot more than Swift Quiver

Yeah, those do things the fighter actually can't do: minions and aoe damage.

I agree (and have agreed through this entire discussion) that at high level casters pull ahead of martials. I was only saying that Swift Quiver, specifically, isn't a good example of this.
>>
>>66244544
See, that's a bad comparison though. For one, Swift Quiver is limited to ranged attack, requires a 5th level spell slot (Of which bards get 2 per long rest), requires concentration, and a bonus action to set up. And to get the 4 attacks you need to pick one of 2 subclasses specifically devoted to fighting. And it's something they do at level 10, not at level 11, so it's not even a Tier 3 problem. You'd have been better off doing Tenser's Transformation.
A fighter can just do that at will and can do 6 if they like to expends short rest resources. Plus they can afford to have had maxed Dex and Sharpshooter.
Tier 3 and 4 only doesn't work in a white room, though, as >>66244516 you do need to keep the stakes up for players with over 85,000 experience points.
>>
>>66245007
If we're talking whiteroom bullshit, Hunter can actually attack a stupid amount of tiny creatures within a 10 foot radius with a single action.
You'd think that this would give them a bonus against swarm-type creatures, but in their infinite wisdom WotC has decided that swarms of creatures only count as one.
>>
>>66244911
>The Bard has now literally blown their entire load of 5th level spells and both their level 5 magical secrets to attempt to keep up with the fighter
Shitty Bard
>>
>>66244989
Bane can debuff 3 targets
>>
File: 3551894-9178550243-hd-wa.jpg (569 KB, 1920x1080)
569 KB
569 KB JPG
Do you guys think it's reasonable asking my DM to instead of my BattleSmith's Iron Defender being a stupid pet have it be some extra arms, dr.Octopus style?
Mostly the fluff, mechanically the only difference would be it occupies the same space as my character and can be targeted separately.
>>
>>66245037
sure but who cares about that?
>>
>>66244895
And when you compare a 1d8+15 attack with a larger to-hit bonus by taking archery to a 2d6+15 with GWF as well, you realize that the longbow is doing almost as much damage, except by GWM only having a chance of giving you a bonus action attack the longbow actually does more damage. While being at range, rather than having to be in melee.
>>
>>66244905
>start vuman for SS
>str to 18 at level 4
>dex to 18 at level 8
Certainly enough. If you took a 1 level dip in fighter or ranger for the fighting style you'd still be making 4 attacks by the time fighter is making 3.

The real crime is assuming the greatsword fighter starts in melee.
>>
>>66245049
>to attempt to keep up with the fighter
It's not an attempt, it's an obvious success.
>The Bard has now literally blown their entire load of 5th level spells and both their level 5 magical secrets
Oh no, what ever will the bard do with just a 6th level spell slot, 3 each of 4th, 3rd and 2nd level spell slots and 4 spell slots?
>>
>>66245049
only shitty insofar as they could have also used those slots to massively exceed the Fighter's damage output which is literally the only thing the Fighter can do.

Fighters suck in t3 and 4. People just use Swift Quiver just to point out that a full caster can do the precise job of a minmaxed Fighter about 80-85% as well as the fully optimized and specialized Fighter can, while also being, you know, a Bard who can cast spells
>>
File: iWKad22.jpg (97 KB, 1440x1080)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>66243965
>When your party votes and decides to use a fumble chart
I hate this so much
>>
>>66245093
Just leave, nigga. Why would you not make that plain as day from the first moment anyone mentions that shit?
>>
>>66245059
Probably, if the mechanical differences are that small it doesn't hurt to ask.
>>
File: DeDeDe.jpg (350 KB, 1500x1500)
350 KB
350 KB JPG
>And here's my Aarakocra barbarian, DM!
>>
>Fighter's most powerful feature (Archery Fighting Style) is on level 1
>its second most powerful feature is on level 2
wew lad thanks for the multiclass and enjoy not getting good features between 11 and 20
>>
>>66244662
>oath of devotion
>devotion
>giving up
Get a grip and try harder.
>>
>>66245122
>Arcane Charge
>Survivor
>more Indomitable and Second Wind uses
There's absolutely some nice things that high level fighters get, they just don't compare to 5th+ level spells
>>
File: KirbyMyeh.png (23 KB, 500x500)
23 KB
23 KB PNG
>>66245115
There's no way in hell that Dedede has 50ft/rd fly speed.
>>
>>66245084
and cantrips and Bardic Inspiration and Expertise and Jack of All Trades
>>
>>66245093
No D&D > bad D&D
>>
>>66245159
>50
Goes up to 60 once he hits level 5.
>>
File: 1557372637998.png (74 KB, 800x300)
74 KB
74 KB PNG
>>66245159
That's why when I go over 20ft per second, I'm using my rocket hammer
>>
>>66245077
okay but can I really just assume my DM will be okay with me showing up with an Oversize Longbow?
>>
>>66244662
Just get more and more suicidal in encounters, providing it keeps others safe and you get to put out damage.
>>
File: KirbyFuckingPissed.png (128 KB, 600x600)
128 KB
128 KB PNG
>>66245173
>>66245176
No fuck you that's bullshit
>>
>>66245071

Forgetting a couple of things.

If you're counting the archery to-hit bonus in the bard's favor, you need to count the Great Weapon damage rerolls in the fighter's favor.

You also need to count the +1d8 on several attacks from battlemaster bullshit. And, more importantly, the fact that he's got advantage a lot of the time from proning his target.

The math has gotten complicated, but I think it still comes out that the fighter is better at fighting than the bard who has specialized in using a particular spell. But the bard has other spells, which is the real problem.
>>
>>66243965
Is it just me or should they have just renamed the artificer to avoid people expecting/hoping for something that would fit in Eberron?
>>
>>66245184
>showing up
Probably not
>crafting over the first ingame week of the campaign with your woodcarving/carpentry tool proficiency?
Absolutely. You wouldn't even be able to wield it until level 4 anyway, so unless you're starting at a higher level where you'd also likely start with magical items anyway it's not even close to an issue.
>>
>>66245084
>obvious success
Uh huh. Anyway, gonna go do 3d10 + 30 + 15 a turn over here without requiring resources.
6d10 + 60 + 30 if I feel like action surging. Good thing I can actually afford to have 20 in Dex unlike the bard.
>>66245092
> People just use Swift Quiver just to point out that a full caster can do the precise job of a minmaxed Fighter about 80-85% as well as the fully optimized and specialized Fighter can, while also being, you know, a Bard who can cast spells
You can't though. If you've spent both your ASI's on hitting 20 dex instead of Charisma, you're not a good bard, and if you don't, the fighter is better then you with a bow. A fighter can take Dex to 20, and take 2 feats, like sharpshooter and something else.
Plus, the Fighter's SUbclass helps even further. maybe he wanted to have advantage on all 6 of those attacks, he could as a samurai.
>>
Are there any good fighting styles for a versatile weapon user? I go one-handed if I cast a spell but otherwise use it two-handed. Also using the monk unarmored movement, so armor and shield stuff doesn’t work great for me.
>>
>>66245084
>what ever will the bard do with just a 6th level spell slot, 3 each of 4th, 3rd and 2nd level spell slots and 4 spell slots?
Continue being a subpar fighter I guess.
>>
File: 1554312470332.jpg (48 KB, 630x596)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>66245194
>>
>>66245221
No.
>>
>>66245217
>A fighter can take Dex to 20, and take 2 feats, like sharpshooter and something else.
yeah this is that instance I was talking about where the Bard is 80-85% as effective as the Fighter, at the Fighter's only job
>>
>>66245221
Not outside of homebrew
>>
File: 1556999553181.jpg (12 KB, 344x259)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>make solo encounter
>PCs kill it immediately
>make solo encounter with more complicated mechanics
>"Its too annoying to fight!"
>"Its too hard!"
>>
Do you guys think ghosts of salt marsh will have new classes and races?
>>
>>66245217
>charisma is the only thing a bard has
>expertise isn't there
>bardic inspiration isn't there
>tons of other spells like haste aren't there
>>
>>66245253
>80-85% as effective
a difference of +2 to hit and +2 to damage per hit from stats alone, then a difference of 22 damage at the cost of -3 to hit, is not 80% effective anon, don't be dense.
>>
>>66245197
>If you're counting the archery to-hit bonus in the bard's favor, you need to count the Great Weapon damage rerolls in the fighter's favor.
Already have. It's +1.33 damage, which is maybe +5-7% damage?
Whereas archery's +2 to hit gives you what could be about +20-30% damage.

>You also need to count the +1d8 on several attacks from battlemaster bullshit. And, more importantly, the fact that he's got advantage a lot of the time from proning his target.
The bard is better at proning targets than the fighter, they can have expertise on athletics (a good skill to have it on) and just shoot at point blank for advantage on the next three shots. Better than hoping you hit an attack then making an enemy make save throw to maybe fall prone.

But, yeah, if you're using the fighter resources (especially precision strike, that's the one you really want to note here unless you're proning an enemy before an action surge) you should hopefully still come out on top for damage, it's just like you said that you're then gonna have to compare the fighter's resources to the other resources bard has where the bard can do things like cripple the BBEG's initiative.
>>
>>66245277
nah I was talking about the 20 dex Bard, anon
>>
>>66245274
No. It has boat mechanics, items, monsters, and a few small adventures they went out of their way to make setting agnostic. Several youtubers have who got pre-release copies have said it's pretty disappointing unless you're in it for ALL of it.
>>
>>66245217
>Anyway, gonna go do 3d10 + 30 + 15 a turn over here without requiring resources.
Outside of those battlemaster maneuver dice, of course. Not that fighters have any actual other resource
>>
>>66245274
Doubtful, but new subclasses would be neat.
>>
>>66244974
You only get one bonus action.
>>
>>66245302
That's a longbow + Sharpshooter. No resources spent anon.
>>
>>66245131
>>66245185
Guess i'll have him own up after having an epiphany, and take responsibility for starting the apocalypse by ending it early.

He's only 4th level and didn't have a single 16 on his starting stats, It's going to be one hell of a bumpy ride considering we hand to fend off 4 barbed devils as a prelude to the start of the apocalypse.
>>
File: 1557599650859.png (143 KB, 600x600)
143 KB
143 KB PNG
>>66245282
>>66245217
you know you guys can just actually do the math instead of playing pretend on 4channel.org

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?582779-Comprehensive-DPR-Calculator-(v2-0!)

remember to show your work
>>
>>66245282
Also inb4 >5ft disadvantage
If you're going for a ranged build then CBE it's still a good choice for when you can't be bothered to use swift quiver (bonus action attacks), a good choice for cancelling out 5ft disadvantage and a good choice for the ~+1.1 damage that using a heavy crossbow gives over a longbow.
>>
>>66245298
Gay
>>
>>66245274
>>66245298
Oh, also some new backgrounds that won't stand up to GGR backgrounds at all.
>>
>>66245317
longbows are not d10s.
>>
>>66244971
I find bane unplayable

I love the idea, but somehow the 30ft range just always makes it not viable in the encounters I'm up against
>>
>>66245315
twice, over two rounds, is when it would result in two extra attacks, which I could see happening, but one time over two rounds is much more likely
>>
>>66245326
>that won't stand up to GGR backgrounds
No fucking shit, GGR backgrounds add spells to your spell list.
>>
>>66245332
Oh my bad, not sure what I was thinking, it should be 3d8 + 30 + 15.
>>
>>66245274
>More powercreep
pls no
>>66245298
>Boat mechanics
Better have ice boat mechanics, too.
>>
>>66244971
Bless is almost always better but bane can indeed be strong if you're working alongside casters or a monk who're making the enemy suffer numerous saves, and the enemy itself makes attack rolls over save throws.
>>
I'm making a beholder-flavoured dungeon where each room corresponds to a different eye ray of the beholder (i.e. Fear Ray Room is super spooky, Petrification Ray Room features petrified creatures)
What puzzles/encounters would you put in each room to represent each ray?
>>
>>66243965
I need help deciding what kind of character to play for this waterborne adventure. Party is classic mage, rogue, and fighter (me).

I've settled on playing a Minotaur but I'm still uncertain on the class/what levels to do. We just turned level 4 and he's allowing us a free feat, but not one when we become level 4 for ASI (if that makes any sense)

As of now, I'm Battlemaster 3 and about to go into Barbarian to become a Storm Herald, mostly for the flavor. Is there anything in particular I should be doing? Other party members are a Sea Sorcerer and a Thief Rogue. Should I focus more on damage or "tanking"?
>>
>>66245384
Focus on tanking. The Rogue and wizard are good for damage, but you lack a healer so you should be soaking up as many meat points with your body as you can.
>>
What are your favourite three playable races and why?
>>
>>66245350
>pretending GGR wasn't published instead of adding more equivalent backgrounds, including some for non-casters
>>
Rolled 6, 5 + 2 = 13 (2d6 + 2)

>>
>>66245426
How does Battlemaster 3/Storm Herald X sound then? Using a halberd and the Sentinel feat, or should I just do axe and shield and get the Tough feat?
>>
In 5e, are casters all divine or arcane, or do we still have primal and stuff?
>>
>>66245384
You should be standing near enemies once the enemies get close enough to the party to grant the rogue sneak attack in case they can't hide. The other two characters are only as vulnerable as they let themselves be and they're both able to kite enemies (which will rely on you NOT standing next to enemies) but you also have to know when to stand next to enemies.

Use grapples/shoves where appropriate, but only where appropriate. Shoves in particular can help slow an approaching enemy down. Battlemaster also has some effects like frighten which is good too.

Also, you really want 5 levels before you multiclass out. Losing extra attack because you want to pick some underpowered archetype isn't a good idea.
>>
>>66245468
Martials really need their second attack at level 5, so I would recommend getting there before you consider multiclassing. If you take Polearm master at level 4, you can consider taking 1 level in barb first.
>>
>>66245479
R E F L U F F
E
F
L
U
F
F
>>
>>66245479
In one of the Dragon+ talks, Crawford discusses magic, and he considers abilities such as the Monk's ki abilities or a Dragon's breath to be "primal" magic; i.e. effects that are clearly magical, but don't come out of manipulating the weave of magic. But all of the classes we consider casters are either divine or arcane.
>>
>>66245494
What?
>>
>>66245479
None of that matters or has any reflection in mechanics.
>>
>>66245468
>How does Battlemaster 3/Storm Herald X sound then?
It would help you tank a bit, but you are delaying your extra attack.
>Using a halberd and the Sentinel feat, or should I just do axe and shield and get the Tough feat?
Sentinel is great, and would really help you hold down the frontline so nobody gets to the wizard or the rogue. Also consider Polearm master if going this route, as you can make opportunity attacks whenever a creature enters within 10 ft of you, which then reduces their speed to 0.
Tough is good, but controlling enemy movement is better then taking more hits.
>>
>>66245509
Which are bards and paladins?
>>
So I want to make an Arcane Archer but I hear they're not that great. Should I dip levels into Ranger,Wizard or Rogue to make up for it or just go full fighter or just go with a different class all together?
>>
>>66245533
Bards are arcane, paladins divine.
>>
>>66245538
Yes. Full eldritch knight.
>>
>>66245483
>>66245487
>>66245531
How does Battlemaster 5/Storm Herald X sound then?

Also how is Shield Master? Worth it at all?
>>
>>66245538
Just go Eldritch Knight with a bow.
>>
File: confus.gif (922 KB, 498x372)
922 KB
922 KB GIF
>>66245436
>Using Ravnica-specific backgrounds in a non-Ravnica campaign
>>
>>66245520
use your imagination
>>
>>66245561
Yeah that's fine. Shield Master got nerfed recently; if you're using a halberd, it's a bad idea.
>>
>>66245561
>How does Battlemaster 5/Storm Herald X sound then?
Better. you also won't be missing an ASI
>how is Shield Master?
Good but not a persons first choice in feats. Helps with Dex Saves a bit and gives you half of evasion. The shove is only as good as your DM lets it be, but it can be great.
>>
>>66243965
What's the schedule for this weekends streaming event?
>>
If you had to guess the CR of the following lycanthropes, what would it be?
>Werealligator
>Werecrocodile
>Werecobra
>Werejackal (Not a jackalwere)
>Wereshark
>>
>>66245712
we need stats for a CR jackass
>>
>>66245563
or play what you want and not care about being suboptimal
>>
>>66245734
I need a base CR to build around my fine anon.
>>
>>66245712
Were-creatures range CR2-5 depending on easily adjustable to-hit, hp, and lycanthrope features, so take your pick.
>>
>>66245590
The single player imagination game thread is this way >>66243175
>>
>>66245782
I have never bothered to learn how Jumpchain threads work. I have chosen not to in 3 years on /tg/
>>
>>66245221
You don't have to change to 1-handed to cast a spell, taking your hand off the sword doesn't use your object interaction
>>
>>66245790
Well they shitpost a lot, so you’d fit right in.
>>
>>66245790
Same, sounds like some gay shit
>>
>>66245796
Oh right. Is there a good fighting style if I stick to two-handed only?
>>
>>66245752
They were looking for advice, I gave them advice. They clearly cared about optimization. You're a bit of an idiot, aren't you?
>>
File: parrot.jpg (28 KB, 564x458)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>lore bard in a turbo-level Phandelver into ToA game
>level 6 coming up
>torn between more character-related/flavorful spells or just getting top tier shit like Dispel Magic or Counterspell
>>
>>66245428
Vhuman: feats are neat
Goliath: carrying heavy shit is DOPE at low lvls
Elf: 4hr sleep allows for a lot of downtime activity
>>
Running a 17th level one shot as a first time DM, but a longtime player.
What should I expect.
>>
>>66245782
Only on this hellsite can someone read a thread so badly it leads to them to making this post
>>
>>66245822
I encourage people to play suboptimal john its what I do
>>
>>66245831
Top tier shit. Flavor and roleplay are for original campaigns.
>>
>>66245428
Human: Makes my peepee hard
Elf: Makes my peepee hard
Halfling: See above
>>
>>66245831
counterspell and a flavor pick
>>
>>66245428
Almost forgot to ask,
What are yours and why?
>>
>>66245831
Depends if the rest of your party are optimized or not.
>>
>half the table is LOLSORANDUM
actually kill me
>>
>>66245841
Only on this hellsite can be so badly in denial about his shitposting that he blames everyone else.
>>
>>66245874
I'm in my first game, playing a vhuman, because I couldn't resist the feat. I would like to try something more weird for my next character though, like a warforged, tiefling or goblin. The party got off to a bad start with goblins though, so I might have to rule that out.
>>
>>66245428
Aasimar - Light blessed people who bring the light with them. Or edgy folks, either are good.
Gnomes - Longevity and the ability to still experience the wonders of life.
Gith - I dig both types. Timeless and bored in a sea of dead gods, and wizened and mystic, in a land of chaos.
Otherwise I play a human or elf or half-elf.
>>
File: 1502385109868.jpg (59 KB, 768x960)
59 KB
59 KB JPG
Is Heroforge any good?
>>
>>66245963
Overpriced 3d printed minis that are fine if you have no clue nor any willingness to build/convert your own mini.
>>
>>66245904
I would try to feed their characters to an adult dragon.
>>
>>66245855
I know it in my heart, and I hate it.

>>66245863
That's what I'm leaning toward to satisfy my madness.

>>66245887
Half and half.
>>
>>66245428
Dwarves: they’re cool dudes
Drow: they’re assholes and I like it
Halfling: they make my pp hard
>>
>>66245994
I’m not the DM
but if I were I’d feed them to an ancient dracolich
>>
>>66245934
What feat? Tell us about your character and build anon
>>
What's a viable skill monkey? I don't mean the bard/rogue/knowledge cleric meme builds, I mean something that's solid at some specific skills, can contribute with most skills, and does this without taking a huge cost to viability elsewhere.
>>
>>66246016
You can probably steer them to a dragon lair because it'd be epic win or whatever.
>>
>>66245831
you already get dispel on your bard spell list
>>
>>66245810
Great weapon fighting
>>
>>66246036
You take either of the three things you listed and play them conventionally.
>>
>>66244437

Don't underestimate the power of a big stick honestly.
>>
>>66246047
probably, but in that case I’d probably get eaten too, and they’re just make even more lolsorandumer
>>66246036
Variant human rogue with the Prodigy feat from Xanathar’s
>>
>>66246052
Which I would have to take; I wasn't referring specifically to magical secrets, just the general treasure trove that are level 3 spells.
>>
File: 20190513_194647.jpg (2.37 MB, 4032x2268)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB JPG
Need a few suggestions. I want to simplify magic for my daughter and a few of her friends. The plan is to give them a dice/spell bag with a bunch of d20. The idea of a bag and personal dice will get them amped. Number of d20 in the bag is based on level and class. They can cast if they have dice by using those dice. A few dice replenish after short rest or all dice replenish after long rest. Cantrips are free.

Other than a table for number of dice each player gets, what should I consider or watch out for?
>>
>>66246036
Knowledge Cleric 1/Divination Wizard X is a really good combo for being an Int skill god and still being a good combat character. You can even get another cleric level for more skill versatility.
>>
>>66246093
you just confused me even more than 5e casting does
>>
File: persona.gif (104 KB, 250x250)
104 KB
104 KB GIF
>>66244639
that's lit senpai
>>
>>66246002
Why not get a new group?
>>
>>66244806

Strength does cover AC by allowing you access to better armor.
>>
File: tenor (7).gif (1.04 MB, 220x187)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB GIF
>>66246036
>meme builds
>>
>>66244152
I enjoy puffin forest. His stuff isn't always dnd based, but he tells a good story with shitty little animations. My favorite is him telling about the time he played an occult wild west game one shot who unearthed... Well, you'll have to watch. The ending is perfect for a one off.
>>
>>66246118
Players can cast any spell their level and class has access to, if they spend a d20 to do so. They spend it by rolling it.
>>
>>66244357
>Anti-magic field blocks your way
Nothing personnel.
>>
File: 20190507_205503.jpg (2.31 MB, 4032x2268)
2.31 MB
2.31 MB JPG
>>66246238
His voice is so get on my nerves
>>
Whats the die down from 2d6?
Is it 1d10 or 1d8 or 2d4?
>>
>>66246310
2d5
>>
>>66246310
1d12
>>
>>66245298
Finally a source book that justifies my sailor background for the cheese.
>>
>>66246336
Seriously?
Seems reasonable I suppose
>>
>>66246232
yes, multiclassing four ways to get a bunch of proficiencies is a meme build
>>
>>66246310
2d6 is 7, 1d12 is 6.5, 1d10 is 5.5, 2d4 is 5, 1d8 is 4.5
>>
>>66246341
backgrounds are completely customizeable raw. any background can have any proficiencies. read your phb
>>
>>66246386
Thanks for the math
>>
>>66246336
This, except for brutal critical
>>
>>66246238

I wish he would tell more stories instead of inserting more jokes or trying to animate more

hes great
>>
I feel good, I just rules lawyered the sorandum player
>>
>>66246238
He's one of the lolrandom youtubers that make the hobby worse imo.

>>66244152
Watch The Animated Spellbook
That mini series is fucking legit.
Apart from that ive not found any informational videos that convey a message better than the pdfs do
>>
>>66244469
he means premagic, a quarter staff is a d6 just like a spear
>>
File: 1323121363497.jpg (38 KB, 267x321)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>66246472
hi 5 my dude.
>>
>>66245978
How does one build/convert their own mini?
>>
>>66245428
Goblin.
A sneaky bastard with a penchant for violence and unassuming chaos. Unsettled other players when he talks about eating pets. Partial to Barbarians and Rangers.

Half-Orc.
So much fun roleplay opportunities. Infernal Bladelock, Warrior for Grumsh.
Criminal, selfish, shadow sorcerer.
Pious but outcast Paladin, overcoming his Blood thirst for a higher calling.
So much fun fleshing out the half-orc. And kicking ass doing it.

Hobgoblin.
THE War Mage Gish race outside of the actual Gish as I like to play them. I also really like the Lawful-Neutral/Evil Roman Imperium thing they've got going which can lend its self to good back stories.
>>
>>66246393
It's a joke.
>>
>>66245428
Warforged: don't have to worry about armor, like the aesthetic and flavor
Goblin: fun to play, gives me something to do with my bonus action if I don't already have anything
Half-elf/tiefling: I like playing CHA casters
>>
>>66246472
well? go on.
>>
>>66246491
There's nothing lolrandom about him. I will agree his voice is prototypical squeaky nerd, but he tells a good story about player antics. And some ways to diffuse them or just let the players royally fuck up.
>>
>>66246666
Dude the stories in which he talks about his dm ing,fuckiing over his brother,replacing angels with seals and all that dumb shit is the kind of
"YOU CANT SEE GROG" tier shit thats corrupting future players
>>
>>66246549
It's easy as buying a mini and changing the weapon or part, or as complex as sculpting it yourself.

Visit the WIP thread and ask around. They should know a great deal.

For most of my characters, monsters, and terrain, I tend to make them myself. For example, for a sword and board fighter, I use my Empire/Freeguild mini from AoS/Fantasy.

Typically I look around at my bits box (A box used to contain extra parts from kits I've brought) and combine them with minis to create characters I'm playing.

Historicals (Games about recreating historical wars and battles) are a godsend depending on what you're looking for since they're cheap, plentiful, and comes sometimes with oddles of parts. Since I play Warhammer in addition to DnD and what not, I tend to have a large collection of miniatures for sci-fi, sci-fantasy, etc.
>>
File: thonk.jpg (67 KB, 640x775)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
Best druid land?
>>
File: 1522042842851.jpg (294 KB, 472x800)
294 KB
294 KB JPG
>>66246549
>>66246767

Another way is to stalk ebay for parts (Typically Warhammer) and try to visualize the parts coming together for your dude.

Is he a large hulking guy in armor? Chaos Warriors tend to be a good starting point. Find a single Chaos Warrior, then start thinking of how to add/subtract parts to him. Maybe swap heeads or weapons.

In addition, Games Workshop been posting videos and tutorials on how to paint or sculpt which is great for new comers. I believe Privateer Press also has videos, but their minis aren't that great when it comes to customization as much as GW or most historical wargames.

Another system that has good minis is Frostgrave. Loads of parts, customization, and stuff for fighters, rogues, and of course wizards.

Be warned, painting and building minis is expensive if you don't know what you're doing.

Pic related, a converted Treelord via reposing some parts.
>>
>>66246803
Coast and grassland strike me as particularly good lists.
>>
>>66246832
>used to wargame and loved converting and painting
>hated actually playing, but if im paying that amount, i better get my goddamn moneys worth
>those ebay lots of "who fucking knows what bits they are, its 10 pounds of metal shit"
goddamn that brings me back, they still have to be in my attic somewhere
>>
>>66246894
If you DM, give them a new life and let them kill/aid your party.

Or alternatively, use them for PCs or assets (Friends, allies, etc). One of my characters is getting a boat so I'm building a 28mm-32mm scale mini for it.
>>
Which are the latest core rulebooks for starting DnD currently? Just the minimum assuming I just need to be a player?
>>
>>66246990
PHB, and if you want extra stuff, Xanathar's Guide to Everything.

Those 2 are what is considered essential in my group.
>>
>>66246990
phb gives the rules, dmg expands on things, specifically for the dm, mm makes monster use much easier. thats it for core, and realistically, in that order of importance

but they're all in the trove obviously
>>
>>66246990
PHB for play rules reference.
All the other books just have stats for races and subclasses and you can just get that for free on your phone via 5etools or like 8 other sources.
>>
>>66245428
>Kobold
they're similar to goblins, except Lawful. if I want to be a small race and get along well with my group, I'll pick a kobold. they're cute as heck too

>Goblin
they're similar to kobolds, except ̶C̶h̶a̶o̶t̶i̶c̶ assholes. I'm not one to be a dick rogue, but if I want to play a small race and I want to be selfish about it, I'll pick a goblin

>Bugbear
they're huge AND they're sneaky. I've played one as a luchador and my DM gave me the option of either pulling grappled targets to me or moving to the grappled target which was fucking sweet.

>special mentions
>changeling
never played one but the idea of being anyone you want to whenever you want to sounds cool as heck.
>>
>>66247120
based and cuteboldpilled
>>
>>66245428
Vuman, hobgoblin, and lizardfolk
>>
So my group is starting a new campaign in a setting that's early industrial age, with magic. I was thinking of playing something along the lines of a magic cowboy and was wondering what class would work best for that, and if there is any good character art for that?
>>
Just had the first session with my group. It went pretty well, our DM certainly knows what he's doing and our party has some great characters. The one thing I could complain about was a lack of combat in this session, since I'm a paladin and built my character for combat I'm not much use in the storytelling parts. The only fight was with our rogue getting robbed while by himself and fighting them off. But it was good overall, I'm really excited for our next session because we'll be doing some traveling to a different city which probably means we'll run into bandits or something to kill.
>>
>hehe dm I’m a male playing a female character I have tits haha how funny
>>
>>66247409
Artificer (battle smith) for that sweet repeating shot infusion
You can have your cowboy repeater and your revolver (refluff the crossbow or beg your DM to let you have a Thundercannon) and use a whip as your lasso. You also have the iron defender as your trusty buddy
>>
>>66247422
What's your Oath? Or are you only first level?
>>
>>66247422

Charisma is one of the best skills for out of combat helping out. don't be afraid to flex those sexy devotion muscles in non-combat scenarios.
>>
>>66245589
My character was teleported here by a Planeswalker. Why did you ask for backstories if you didn't even read them?
>>
>>66247451

this is why you can trust kobold players, kobold females don't have tits to wave around like toys
>>
>>66247451
>Players keep "joking" about a girdle of opposite sex
S-should I do it to them?
>>
>>66247478
I'm first level still, but I think I'm gonna pick oath of devotion. I picked Torm, god of courage and self sacrifice as my deity so that oath would be fitting. I'm also the group's only healer/tank so I'd rather spec into things that keep myself and my party alive rather than dealing damage.
>>66247523
Yeah I'm hopefully going to be doing more of that in the future, but there weren't too many useful opportunities to do it in this session.
>>
File: katy.jpg (32 KB, 402x401)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>66247451
that's when you make an NPC
who's sick of her shit
and have yourself a catfight
>>
File: 1557846340055.gif (1.87 MB, 350x263)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB GIF
What spells does this?
>>
>>66247737
Fireball
>>
>>66247737
fireball, but that one looked really small so maybe wall of fire
>>
File: oh_I_get_it_now.jpg (126 KB, 548x825)
126 KB
126 KB JPG
>>66247451
Oh now I get it >>66220641
>>
>>66247737
That's a wall of fire with the damaging area on the inside.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (203 KB, 837x645)
203 KB
203 KB PNG
>>66247560
That helps less than you'd think, anon.
>>
So, heres the sitch.

In a few months, i will be running a game of 5e for 4 family members; my two sisters and their husbands. All are pretty cool.

I will have two nights to run, maybe just one.

They have never played before.

I have never DMed before. 10ish years of gaming, and i've been writing fiction on and off my whole life.

And i will have only played 2 or 3 games of 5e before then, since i'm trying to get to a 5e game still.

Its gotta be family friendly, as others will listen in.

Which preset do i run, and what all do i need to do?
>>
>>66247597
No. Unless you're into that, and want them to tease you about it, in which case go right ahead.
>>
So a PC just died when the party is level 6. The player wants to roll up a new PC. Should I level them to 6 or start from scratch?
>>
File: 1530892601539.png (419 KB, 643x433)
419 KB
419 KB PNG
>>66247940
>>
>>66247969
just level him to six
>>
>>66247969
Depends on the type of campaign you want to run. Either can be fine, but generally players don't like feeling weaker or less capable than other people on their team, and their teammates might ask why they're dragging them around.
An OK compromise is starting them 1 level lower, but a lot of players still won't like that.
>>
>>66247969
Then he doesn't experience the progression of his new class
>>
>>66247947
Presets come with setting baggage. Just diy a setting and shoehorn in an appropriate pantheon for the sake of divine casting continuity, dawn war pantheon seems safe and easy.

You won't struggle with it, you're a writer. Just keep in mind you're not telling a story, you're asking the players what they want to do in the setting and then writing them a means for them to do it, provided they roll high enough.

>>66247969
From six. Game doesn't function at all with gaps in the pc levels.
>>
>>66247969
On the one hand, starting them at the same level as the party essentially says that permanent character death isn't much of a big deal, and that players can bite the big one with a dude and not necessarily lose a whole lot, which is a dangerous attitude to engender. On the other hand, being reduced to a level one weenie in an experienced party probably isn't all that fun, and lagging behind in power and survivability doesn't really help their chances of catching back up to the group.
>>
File: throw-that-boy-pussy.jpg (28 KB, 640x305)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
>>66247973
>>66247940
>>66247560
>>66247451
>>
>>66248001
I have absolutely no idea what story to tell. I haven't been able to find any good ideas at all in a year since i came up with the idea.
>>
>>66248030
Read more books, watch less television and anime.
>>
not asking for links (i'll do my own homework), but did the Stranger Things Starter Set get scanned? I have a physical copy, but prefer to use PDF's for actual play.
>>
>>66247560
>Implying Kobold players don't get weirder
Because 8/10 times they're just scalies sweating inside hoping they don't get found out.
>>
>>66248041

*deep breath*

I dont watch anime.

I dont watch tv, dont like the shit thats online.

I read a lot of books.
>>
>>66248065
Read different books.
>>
>>66247947
http://media.wizards.com/2014/downloads/dnd/DDEX19_OutlawsIronRoute.pdf
>>
>>66248030
Pick your favorite world shaping cataclysmic event, a set of fantasy races, and you're already 50% done.

Lotr is just a dark lord tricks everyone with free rings.
Dune is just some guy fucks up a eugenics project.
It's surprisingly easy.
>>
Stupid question, but is it possible to make scale mail out of giant shark teeth?

Had a friend recently join our current DotMM campaign. Dude wants better armor since he keeps getting popped back into humanoid form from front lining with our fighter but is playing the whole "No metal" schtick seriously.

So my theory is since I'm proficient with a leatherworkers tools is that we kill the giant shark in Waterdeep bay and use its hide/teeth to make a Druid friendly scale mail.

So is this possible or nah?
>>
>>66248116
Anon, with a sprinkle of imagination and DM input, anything is possible.
>>
File: you earned this.jpg (57 KB, 600x600)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>66248080
see pic

>>66248092
Bless you.

>>66248098
I'll keep it in mind. Maybe thats what i'll do this saturday...
>>
>>66248116
Echoing >>66248133 , absolutely! Flavor text is flavor text.
>>
>>66248133
My DM is a real stickler for the rules, which is why im asking here to see if its unwritten but still legal.
>>
>>66248065
Start watching anime and TV for a while, and then stop and switch back to books.
>>
>>66247947
is it a one-off?
here

>make a list of names, 10 females, 10 males, 5 soldiers, five nobles, 5 assholes
>think of several locations besides city like forest, desert, farm, dungeon
>think of some plot hooks that will get your characters to one of the other locations for quests

then just makeup everything as you go along and fly by the seat of your pants. one someone meets an NPC, pick one of your names you already have set for that role and then make a note of it and where they met if you have time
>>
>>66248154
Then your DM hates harmless fun.
Cunt
>>
File: SmugKong.png (216 KB, 360x460)
216 KB
216 KB PNG
>>66248136
>pic
If you're reading YA trash then it's the same as TV and anime where they just recycle the same few topes non-stop. You need to do a little reaching to find new ideas, or better yet, new approaches to old ideas.
>>
What's your favorite roleplay moment?
>>
>>66248116
kinda stupid, ye

are there any reptiles you could use? turtles maybe?
>>
>>66248158
Oneoff. And i need to be able to finish it in one or two nights.

*scribbles down said notes*
>>
>>66248116
Not "mail" really but you could probably make something like Tatami armor that would function identically. Maybe have your dm tweak some things about it to reflect it's not standard armor.
>>
>>66248166

when I make posts on /tg/ about gmaes i've played
>>
File: acc.jpg (48 KB, 680x675)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
>>66248165
I too would like to know what books anon reads
>>
File: 1526991095117.png (40 KB, 152x254)
40 KB
40 KB PNG
>>66248166
The time I polymorphed an innkeeper's daughter the barb was banging into a uwe and he kept going.
>>
>>66248207
A gentleman always finishes what he starts. Good guy barb.
>>
>>66248195
It probably wouldn't help you with D&D unless your setting includes a war between two hilariously unprepared forces, but the last book I read was Homage to Catalonia and I really enjoyed it.
>>
Why would a gish invest in strength or charisma instead of just using intelligence, wisdom, charisma to both attack and cast well?
>>
>>66248116
Sharks apparently have a lot of really nice, flat bones in their fins so you could definitely work with it.
>>
>>66248166
When our Firbolg druid got shitfaced after partying and we found him in bed with a dead hafling girl (of internal bleeding according to the medicine check). His players first response to hearing what happened was "Aw fuck not again"
>>
>>66248262
Because hexblade is a thing or because you're using spells whos sole purpose is buffing/unrolled effects as opposed to any kind of spell attack/spell save dc.
>>
File: 1550430197279.jpg (97 KB, 1000x664)
97 KB
97 KB JPG
>>66248166
The moment the party found out their wizard truly has no sense of right and wrong upon ordering underlings to do as they wished with a man's family so long as they were dead at the end of it. Then acting baffled when the party brought up how that was against his word which the reply was "I promised him they'd never want for anything again, they can't want if they're not alive so I am 100% keeping my promise. Also he defied all of us with his refusal to give up the information we asked for, examples need to be set if we are to sit at the top. If that is too difficult, or "evil", for you might I suggest a different profension?"
It was me, I am that wizard and enjoying every moment as the others realize just how far my character will go to achieve his goals. The sudden realization on their faces was priceless.
>>
>>66248274
That's horrible, impressive, and disturbing.
>>
>>66248262
Because they're only casting spells that don't need a caster stat, like shield?
>>
I got my party TPK'd at my session tonight. No one seemed mad but I still feel like shit about it.
>>
>>66248264
>>66248116
yeah anon use some whale bones
>>
>>66248337
What happened?
>>
Is the Quick-Fingered feat from skill UA worth taking? I'm playing a Human Bard and there's no other feats I think I'd want.

If not I guess I'll just be a Half-Elf.
>>
Heres a thinker, suppose there is a land where it only storms, so much so that the rising and falling of the sun is impossible to tell, and there is no moon or tides. How do the natives tell time? How do your players?
>>
File: 1547671530213.jpg (346 KB, 1920x3167)
346 KB
346 KB JPG
Why are Hobgoblins the best race?
>>
>>66248353
We entered a pocket dimensional stronghold. I entered the foyer and immediately stepped on a big symbol on the floor that set off a gong that alerted *every* enemy in the entire dungeon.

We were a party of 7 4-5th level players facing a level 11 simulacrum of aManchun or something like that as well as a two Martial Adepts, a Bard, a Mage, and a Swashbuckler.

Long story short, Fireball and Lightning bolted repeatedly until we died.
>>
>>66248381
Unless it's an intrigue campaign with a big city, I don't think planting evidence is terribly useful.
Prodigy is an option if you want more expertise/skills.
>>
>>66248405
It's Manshoon. And that's appropriate honestly.
>>
>>66248337
I'm worried about this actually. I'm taking over for another DM and the party is determined to take on a red dragon in its lair. They're level 5 and the party comp fluctuates significantly so I don't know what to throw at them. I want to continue DMing for this group but would hate to kick things off with a TPK. Maybe I can give the dragon some sort of absurd weakness they can exploit or give them a way to lure it out.
>>
>>66248394
They could base it off the lifespan of various creatures, especially their rulers, or if you wanted a little more high tech they could make candles with different colored wax at different heights where it would burn down to a different color every hour or something like that.
>>
>>66248166
My Vengeance Paladin finally getting his hands on the pirate who'd killed his crew and captain and left him adrift, just grapple his sword out of his hands and instead drown the man in a puddle of muddy water and then behead him. Sometimes the party forgets that their fearless and friendly leader is also a stone-cold pursuer of justice.
>>
>>66248405
Sounds like you didn't do enough scouting or research before stumbling headfirst into their lair. That's as good a reason as any to get TPK'd.
>>
>>66248426
>looked it up
>Leader of the Zhentarim
Oops.

Well, my wizard died as he lived. Killing his fellow party members with bumbling idiocy.
>>
>>66248430
OR, the dragon doesn't kill them when they inevitably lose, and gives them a task to complete. OR hobbit-style they need to sneak in and out or else the dragon will kill them, as they leave some great heroes slay the beast and then charge the players for making them have to deal with it, like a quest.
OR, let them die and give them extra-planar adventures where they awake on the river bank of the styx, haven been saved by a Hydroloth (Or something) because he needs some mortals to break into a devil stronghold.
Or ANYTHING else.
As a player, I would be mad if I wanted to fight a dragon, and got cheated out of a proper dragon fight.
>>
>>66248455
Eh depends on the group. Some DM's want you to do that sort of thing, some are just going to say "yeah looks like it's a building" when you try.
>>
>>66248455
Most of the people just "reincarnated" their characters and now we're fighting stuff in the Yawning Portal to make some money.

Two of us changed our characters entirely at least so it wasn't a frivolous TPK.
>>
File: brainlet_wizlet.jpg (92 KB, 645x1000)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>66248458
>>
>>66248471
So you send your familiar into the stronghold. Or you get someone to beast bond to a spider or something if it's barred against fey/fiends/whatever
>>
>>66248405
I'm not sure what your DM was expecting with that then. Sounds like you'd be fucked no matter what.
>>
>>66248484
He was expecting me not to step on the giant gold symbol on the floor in the center of the room.
>>
>>66248484
A wizard without an permanent alarm spell on his doorstep is bad wizard.
>>
>>66248495
In my experience if you have an "instant kill switch" anywhere near the vicinity of players they will find it. They will tear through 15 feet of pure concrete and press the "kill me" button if you let them. Such is the way of things. Hopefully he's learned now.
>>
>>66248504
Yeah but slap your party down and let them know they are in a place that they should not fuck about in BEFORE they kill themselves. Gotta have some semblance of pacing.
>>
>>66248508
This is helpful, I will remember to include more of these.
>>
File: eva-toker-reddragon.jpg (244 KB, 1200x903)
244 KB
244 KB JPG
>>66248469
>cheated out of a proper dragon fight
That's the thing. If they fight their way into the lair, they're going to get fucked by lair actions. I could just not use lair actions, but then that would result in what you said. There could be up to seven people, but maybe as few as four. And reds being reds, I can't imagine they would get off light like with what you suggested. Dire straits anon. Dire straits.
>>
>>66248508
The real kicker here is I was a gnome that weighed 30 lbs and still set it off. So he asked me to roll an agility check. I got a nat20. He asked "do you have thieves tools?" No of course not, I'm a wizard. So he asks our dude who has thieves tools to try and disarm it and because HE didn't meet the DC (of TWENTY) we got killed.
>>
>>66247737
Flaming Sphere?
Create Bonfire?
>>
>>66248207
What's an uwe?
>>
>>66248580
I think he means ewe, female sheep.
>>
How would you rule planting a shield to use as cover/firing stand?
An action? Movement action? Bonus action? Free action? Not allow it period?
>>
>>66248555
>Get off light
Yeah no. I did not suggest that.I suggested a task given to them by a Red Dragon. That is not getting off light. They might have to fight life and limb in the plane of fire while wearing some fallout ass explosive slave collars, WISHING they had never heard of a red dragon. Let them lose for not thinking this through, and plan for both the fight, and for the inevitable failure.
>>
>>66248580
Uwe Boll, he made some shitty movies
>>
>>66248569
>Nat 20
>Thieves' tools DC
I'm assuming the DM wanted the trap to go off regardless, but couldn't justify it with the roll on your die.
>>
>>66248593
There's rules for cover, half cover, three quarters cover. I'd just say "sure you plant it as an action and now you have (whatever is most appropriate for your character size/shield size ratio) cover." That's your action though. And you lose the shield ac.
>>
Strenght based intimidate. Yay or nay?
>>
File: uwe.jpg (10 KB, 214x317)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>66248580
>>
>>66248439
Think about Stone Age tech. But I like the idea of the lifespan of various creatures.
>>
>>66248604
Yeah, probably one of those "I wanted the party to run" moments that never fucking happens because the party never runs. Ever.
>>
>>66248627
>>66248627
>>66248627
>>
>>66248608
I know theres rules for cover but yeah i figured itd use an action
Still hopefully i can convince my DM to go for it
We've been fighting in open grounds lately
>>
>>66248615
Yes on weaklings easily intimidated by big guys, no when trying to scare veteran soldiers, mages or anything too strong.
>>
>>66248116
This homebrew has some alright monster hunteresque crafting rules, my only real issue with it is the Bone Armor/Weapons are way too much of a downgrade. I'd personally make it -1 AC but +1 Dex mod
>>
>>66247969
Players reduced to level one tend to get either offed immediately or become background characters that cant come out for risk of being eaten by something.

Average party level-1
>>
>>66248116
You can use hardened leather scales anon.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.