[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Fantasy Ocean.jpg (1000 KB, 1920x1200)
1000 KB
1000 KB JPG
Hey /tg/. I want to run an exploration focussed game. In short: most of the exploration is travelling over a seemingly endless ocean. That way it's pretty cool for both sides, I can change themes, biomes etc from island to island and insert ideas more organically, the players can choose where to stay longer and what to ignore without metagaming/telling afterwards.

My question is: I'd like to give the players a map that gets slowly more and more complete as a central mechanic, and I am unsure how to handle it. I was thinking of a linen map and printing out paper to stick to a cardboard piece and create 'tiles' they can draw out of a bag. Probably a lot of work, but I'd really like to do it. Has anyone run something similar or has any ideas on how to handle reallife maps?
>>
File: archipelago tiles.jpg (560 KB, 2227x1818)
560 KB
560 KB JPG
I had something like these tiles in mind.
Obviously not ones that need to connect in some specific way (land to land and sea to sea) since it would make all of this a bit too boardgame-y
>>
File: entdecker-close_0.jpg (96 KB, 600x400)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
Or like this. Making them obviously will be quite the challenge.
Last shameless selfbump
>>
Are you aware of the Traveller rpg?
>>
File: 1211741183311.jpg (362 KB, 1600x836)
362 KB
362 KB JPG
>>66239945
>Traveller rpg
Only by having seen it mentioned a bunch of times here
>>
Ryuutama
and seconding Traveller
>>
>>66239596
>That way it's pretty cool for both sides, I can change themes, biomes etc from island to island and insert ideas more organically, the players can choose where to stay longer and what to ignore without metagaming/telling afterwards.
Have you tried instead reworking the "weather hex"?
The design is as follow: you make a series of hexes, I think 3 rows deep. You find your "neutral" concept in the center, then roll d6 and move to similar, but a BIT different thing. In case of weather hex, that meant going from "sunny" to "slightly cloudy" or "breeze". Then you roll from your current hex and move to the next one to generate related thing. Maybe it will go back to central hex, maybe it won't.
The thing is, this allows to generate coherent situations and in case of exploration, a map of at least partially sensible things, WITHOUT forcing you to hop islands for a change.
>>
>>66240005
Traveller, although science fiction is the definitive exploration game. While it has a quite unique science fiction setting (Third Imperium) you can retconn it to other science fiction or fantasy.
. The things you mention, mechanics about travelnig mechanics about supply fuel, mechanics about randomly generating ports, planets, cities are all there.

Traveller is a game about a crew, flying from here to there to pay off their ships mortgage off.

Do yourself a favor and do check traveller out I'm sure grognards will come to your thread like flies if you open a traveller help thread.
>>
>>66240111
>>66240022
>>66239945
Well, from the bits and pieces I've read, this sounds very promising. And it probably is the better idea, all of these rpg-accessoires/gimmicks sound great in y head but need more time than I have... For a group that probably won't find it as exciting as I do.

>>66240038
I'm not sure I fully understand the idea
>>
>>66240204
A good idea in general is to play d&d only for d&dish reasons, that is kill monsters, grab loot, gain experience only to kill more monsters.

D&D is a nice party-combat game, but if you divert yourself into other topics, exploration, politics, horror, investigation etc there is almost always a better system for it.

Yes you can play a horror game in d&d but you would have to do a lot of legwork, why do that when you have Call of Cthulhu?
>>
>>66240264
A good point. I wasn't sure about the system but figured I could homebrew some simple mechanisms for travel expense, food and such. And dnd is just the easiest thing becaus everybody knows it. And my group isn't really interested in getting the most of the ttrpg medium desu
>>
>>66240608
>And dnd is just the easiest thing becaus everybody knows it. And my group isn't really interested in getting the most of the ttrpg medium desu
this is the cancer that is ruining the hobby, no offence to you.
I'm not saying d&d is shit nor stating it is wrong to play d&d, but the only reason people play it is that it is popular and only reason it is popular is that people play is, bloody unbroken cycle.

I mean in an alternative universe Traveller could have been the most popular game, I would be much more happy in it.

But going back to reality I do hope eventually d&d popularity will cause a trickle down effect and will convince players to try out other systems, you don't have to like them but trying wouldn't hurt.

Yes sometimes you need a little bit evangelizing and some systems are really demanding, but that depends. I think one can jump to traveller, or paranoia or call of cthulhu with relative ease. The GM must study the system though.

Still I think studying systems is more productive than creating your own systems, at least at the start. Even if you play nothing but d&d, homebrewing rules AFTER you studied traveller etc will make a good difference.
>>
>>66240673
No offense taken, I mostly agree. Only "mostly" because if not for DnD getting more hyped and en vogue in recent years, I probably wouldn't have a group. And I do think the "tickle down" is real, as is with every niche hobby becoming popular.
There will always people that enjoy it at the entry level and never go deeper. Which is fine, but has the sad side effect of shitty memes, horrible streamers/e-celebs/idiotic representation in social media, tv etc. In short, very vocal people calling themselves part of a subculture that loathes them. Which lures more of these people in.

The question is, if people deeper in the hobby get more content, possibilities and platforms...it should actually be a good thing. Which is what I wish I'd see all of this.
Just my 2c of course
>>
>>66241025
Depends, I mean this is my anecdotal experience but 08-13 was really bad times for d&d, financial crisis, the whole 4e being rejected by most, even pathfinder outselling d&d in few sale quarters. But I feel that period was also the biggest rpg renaissance we had, maybe since late 80s. Paizo came into prominence (not to say I like pathfinder), wod came back, traveller came back with mongoose, good old indie games become more popular again (Cthulhu, Paranoia, even Cyberpunk) kickstarter relaly kick started this.
But then 2014 came with 5e and critical role and all that jazz, it feels that the wave of ''non d&d'' games stopped. I do mis 08-13, but maybe because I'm a 30 y.o. boomer and everyone is nostalgic about the past

anyways hope it will realyl trickle down, and also do convince your party to try other systems, maybe not traveller but something that would be more popualr with the group, once people try one game besides d&d it is really easy to have them try other games. The first non d&d game is important though
>>
>>66239945
Which edition has the best exploration rules?
>>
>>66241088
>Implying I'm not a 30 yo boomer myself

Is there a definitive/recommended edition of traveller? Just asking before I look up what best to get
>>
>>66242024
>>66242182
I get the rage of grognards but do check mongoose 2nd edition, I believe it is best suited for the modernplayers who are accustomed to d&d.

Mongoose 2nd is very compatible with mongoose 1st, and also check Cepheus engine which is basically an SRD version of Mongoose 1st (after 2nd decided to jew the third party publishers, they created Cepheus)
Mongoose 2nd has few books as its quite new, but do use 1st ed books.

Classic Traveller is also nice, but it was made in late 70s and early 80s, which might be bit gruesome for newcomers.

anyways get mongoose 2nd ed
>>
>>66242182
>>66242024
>>66242216
Also, few advice, Travellers is a bit different than d&d. It is more realistic in some aspect. Combat is deadly, you get hit by a sword 4-5 times, shot once or twice you will probably die.
The characters you play are not lvl1 travellers who will be lvl20 demigods, but they are regular middle age men, If you play a pilot chances are you will not gain 100000xp and become a better pilot after one adventure, the progression of your character is also very slow, kinda like real world.
The traveller feel is also different, to make an example from star wars. You are not jedis toppling down armies, and changing the course of history, you are fucking han solo, moving from here to there, doing some odd job here, some illegal job there, trying pay the mortgage on your ship, with sometimes hutts/imperials on your ass.
Or you can watch firefly (it has its own rpg(s) but thats another story)it is very travelleresque ,irefly was basically weadons traveller campaign from his college years.
>>
>>66242216
Any supplements that focus on exploration?
>>
>>66243079
I mean the game itself focuses on exploration, you can get the corebook and find it out yourself.
If you want specific adventures, Into the Unknown of 1st ed mongoose is more exploration based. High and Dry is a good starting adventure again 1st edition.
Pirates of Drinax of 2nd edition is considered to be really good, but as the name suggests it is more piracy than exploring, and it is a huge sandboxy campaign, maybe should be saved for later as dessert.
>>
>>66243264
No, I meant which supplent focusses on exploration mechanics. Most of traveller's corebooks are taken up by chargen, ship design, system and world design and combat. Where are the mechanics that focus on and enhance exploration?
>>
>>66243574
Book 3-Scout, Supplement 13: Starport EncountersSupplement 14: Space Stations Supplement 9-Campaign Guide Supplement 10-Merchants and Cruisers
>>
>>66243683
Legend.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.