[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: what game is this.png (375 KB, 1026x863)
375 KB
375 KB PNG
Previously on /bgg/: >>66161854

Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/h8Tz2ze8

What is your favorite solo game?

What other games do you play solo?

How awful is MPS?

Have you backed Bloodborne yet?
>>
>>66210783
>solo game
Aeon's End or Arkham Horror LCG
>other games
Onirim, lots of Uwe Rosenberg games, some roll and writes when I want to cozy up with some tea in bed.
>multiplayer solitaire
It has its place. Some Euros are better as MPS than they would be with interaction.
>Bloodborne
No thank you
>>
>>66210783
heavily modified runebound 2nd ed
much of my library, there are many fan made modules from fury of dracula to descent.
depends on the game
yes
>>
Sharing a project I made recently, not too big on board games more of a rpg guy... basically a Zelda dungeon layout that you can print out and use. Since this is a Bloodborne thread of sorts, it seems fitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sqn2DEE6os
>>
>>66210783
>Solo game?
Agricola's solo mode is very much to my taste. I know that not everyone will like the fact that it's a "beat your score" game and the random occupations make scores from different games not especially comparable, but I just take each game as it comes and don't worry about whether I'm actually improving.
>Other games?
Not that many. Samurai Spirit is a decent co-op that works solo, I've played that a couple of times, and solo Bananagrams is more fun than it deserves to be.
>MPS?
It's fine at low player counts. The issue is MPS with more than about three players, because other people's turns aren't engaging in these games.
>Kickstarter
Not even once.
>>
>>66210783
>favorite solo game
Skies above the Reich
>other games I play solo
Most hex and chit wargames play solo very well especially chit pull activation games like At Any Cost Metz 1870
>MPS
Pretty bad, if you're all playing together I want interaction
>CMON cashgrab v12.0
No thank you
>>
Anybody play Wasteland Express Delivery Service? Any experiences? I'm looking for a Fallout-type game (in terms of atmosphere) and I know the actual Fallout is beyond horrible.
>>
File: IMG_20190513_174502.jpg (3.11 MB, 3323x2482)
3.11 MB
3.11 MB JPG
>What is your favorite solo game?
Too Many Bones. It comes with a separate deck for solo balanced encounters which is really nice, though a little skinny without 40 Days. Also some characters absolutely do not work solo and even the ones that do work, you just have a number of skills that you never use now. All in all though, it is a decent amount of the same fun.
>What other games do you play solo?
I rarely to never play solo but you will occasionally find me playing Baseball Highlights 2045 solo. It's so simple and effective, though sometimes you get laughably bad enemy decks.
>How awful is MPS?
It's a sliding scale. I can take interaction turned pretty low, but there's a line that once crossed instantly drops to "too far"
>Have you backed Bloodborne yet?
Nah. Way too much is add ons and ks exclusive, and the game doesn't really feel like it has a selling point outside of an IP. Maybe I'll play it at a convention one day. I think Kickstarter is great but this is kinda the blander end of Kickstarter.
>>
>>66210783
>Favourite solo game
Scythe hands down. Its the only solo game I have that feels like you are actually playing an opponent. I really like that the strategy is just as much about reducing the AI's points as it is about increasing yours.

>Other solo games
Viticulture, Teotihuacan, Terraforming Mars, Spirit Island, Gaia Project, Clans of Caledonia, Concordia, Troyes, Mombasa, Great Western Trail + more. Basically if a game I own has official or unofficial solo rules I'll play solo.

>MPS
I'm a fan. Sure it can be tedious with high player counts but at 2-3, or occasionally even 4 depending on the game, I have a lot of fun with them.

>Bloodborne
In no way am I backing that trash pile
>>
>>66210783

>favorite solo
Hoplomachus, Dungeon Alliance, and Aeon's End are in my top three.

>what other games do you solo?

Too many bones, Resident Evil 2, Clank, and Dark Souls card game.

>multiplayer solitaire
Usually not balanced for shit. It can be done, but most games that aren't pretty clearly solo setup are obviously subpar for a solo play.

>bloodborne

Yeah, I'm all in.
>>
>>66211616
Honestly I'd just wait until Fantasy Flight inevitably makes a Fallout LCG. They've got the IP and there's no way in hell it wouldn't sell amazingly well. If it's anything like AH LCG, it'll be a great game too.
>>
What are the add-ons in the El Grande big box?
>>
We're in the home stretch now. Only $140k left to go.

Bloodborne boys WHERE WE AT
>>
>>66211032
I've been eyeing Aeon's end for a while. Which version should I get?
>>
>>66213956
About five expansions. Some a lot more fiddly than others. One replaces the power cards entirely, which is a pretty drastic shift that I've been hesitant to ever try out. Also new scoring regions and a boat. Some of the modules don't seem like they'd overlap very well. I got big box just for the base game myself as it was second hand for cheap.
>>
>>66214032
You can't really go wrong with either and eventually you'll probably get both. The core box has easier bosses and more simple cards, but has a better spread of spells, gems, relics, and mages in my opinion for trying out combinations. War Eternal is slightly more complex and has harder nemeses, but the design of the mages and cards are slightly more narrow.

Realistically you'll get both first and then start getting all the expansions. I haven't got them all yet but for me so far I'd say Outer Dark > The Void, but the core sets beat them both for value. Getting Nameless in a few days and The Depths I'm gonna get last because it comes with only 1 nemesis and the cards seem slightly more meh.

Don't know anything about Legacy so can't help you there.
>>
Gaia Project or Kemet?

it's a gift.
>>
>>66214242
>which of these two completely different games to offer
>>
>>66214281
I'm glad you understand the question.
>>
He liked Root. Hmmm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1vW6nOlMlg
>>
>>66214464
>>66214242
Gaia Project looks like garish crap to me; Kemet at least offers some kitschy yet endearing art and moderately lightweight fun. Plus it's cheaper.
>>
>>66214242
>overrated engine euro vs overrated area control skirmish
The only thing they have in common is playtime, based on your group either pick the passive game (Gaia) or the aggressive game (Kemet).
>>
>>66214242
Split the difference and get Scythe
>>
>>66214229
Thanks for the info, anon. Not really interested in Legacy so no need for info. I've been looking for something to scratch my deckbuilding itch that doesn't always take as long to play as Mage Knight does.
>>
>>66214647
I'll add also that The Void and The Outer Dark are later expansions while Nameless and The Depths are earlier ones. Design space wise if you do only get 1 core box you should get expansions that lie opposite of the box you choose so that you have more overall variety in design. So if you get the base game, get Void and OD, and if you get War Eternal, get Nameless and Depths. Or just buy whcihever one has nemeses you think look interesting. For the core box I'm a huge fan of Carapace Queen, and for War Eternal I think Gate Witch is incredibly interesting.
>>
>>66214647
why not Arctic Scavengers or VotK? I'm seriously tempted to grab the VotK box from CrowdOx. Talk me out of it.
>>
>>66214917
Don’t support terrible Kickstarter practices anon. Queen Games are established enough they don’t need to kickstart anything, they’re just being greedy cunts.
>>
>>66214917
>Talk me into it.
The Last Rites box will let you bury your priestess waifus alive in your tomb.
Oh wait, out of it.
Uh, tarot size cards a pain for the sleeves and shuffling?
>>
>>66215030
>Queen Games
Fuck my stupid brain, I meant AEG. Although the point still stands for Queen Games as well.
>>
>>66215047
IT COMES WITH FUCKING SLEEVES

>>66215058
either way what's wrong with releasing the box set though KS? it's not like there were KS exclusives, it's hitting the shelves in November, it's not bad just because they use the same platform as CMON plastickfucking money whores.
>>
>>66215109
>IT COMES WITH FUCKING SLEEVES
I already have the three versions of VotK, I'm not paying jack attention to the details of the KS
>>
>>66214242
Gaia Project is an incredible game which is in my top 5, but only get it if they like heavier euros with less interaction.
Kemet is ok. Not as good a game as GP but if they're into aggressive, highly interactive games then its probably a better choice.

>>66214580
This is another good option.
>>
>>66215109
It’s not CMON bad, but it’s still not good business practice to offload your shit to Kickstarter after you’re an established company. The whole point of Kickstarter is for people to throw money at someone with a good idea but no current way to actualize it.

Imagine if Microsoft or Google had a Kickstarter for a new product they were making. It would be ridiculed and rightly so because those are established companies who don’t need to generate revenue to bring their ideas to life, they already have capital and processes to do this. AEG doesn’t need to do a kickstarter for a new card game, they have created and released many similar products before and (theoretically) know what they’re doing. If they don’t believe the product is financially viable, they should have enough industry knowledge to not make it and release it. They have no need for a kickstarter expect for either pure greed or a desperate grab for money due to financial trouble.
>>
>Miniatures
After a certain point you have to recognize that you’re playing make-pretend with toys and that the games that feature miniatures are basically systems designed to facilitate the make-pretend toy experience, which is why most miniature games are coop instead of engaging competitive games.
>>
File: 1554854816810.png (27 KB, 209x355)
27 KB
27 KB PNG
>>66216223
Isn't that exactly why people play coop miniature games?
>>
>>66216223
>After a certain point you have to recognize that you’re playing make-pretend with toys
Welcome to boardgames, friendo. Make believe is the core of what makes abstracted mechanics work.
>>
>>66214647
When I was looking into it to see if I wanted it, a lot of people suggested the legacy game for newbies because it teaches the game really well and you're left with a game that can still be played, not a trashed game.
Google aeon's end base vs legacy to see different opinions.

Personally I decided not to buy any, but probably would have gone with the base game if I was going to buy one
>>
File: Raid on St. Nazaire.jpg (60 KB, 397x543)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>66210783
Nice OP image.

>What is your favorite solo game?
Just got Dawn of the Zeds so I'm not sure how that one plays. But I really like pic related. The automated German defenders can be a total bitch.

>What other games do you play solo?
Nemo's War, The Hunters (WWII Sub warfare game), Robinson Crusoe, Too Many Bones, and Archipelago.
>>
>>66214647
>looking for something to scratch my deckbuilding itch that doesn't always take as long to play as Mage Knight does.

Core Worlds + Expansions is solid.

>>66214917
>why not Arctic Scavengers
This is another solid choice. Helionox is also good if you can find a copy.
>>
>>66216241
I sort of like a mix of collegiality and "oh, by the way, I'm cutting all of your throats in 2 turns" just sort of being out there.

It's all very nice, but Player X is totally gonna win if they accomplish the victory condition, etc.

Everything gets explained nicely, ad nauseum if necessary, if the rules do not require it you can "take stuff back" or fix mistakes, etc.

But at some point, someone wins, possibly by a disgusting margin.

The last two rounds of a game about magical unicorns and collecting them I played got kind of intense that way.

We play a lot of games where things get intensely contested in a nice way. Just because only one of them explicitly had a mechanic for Dorfs killing Dorfs in "I'm taking your shit" raids like some kind of 3D, Dorf Fortress Catan doesn't mean it wasn't intense at times with the others.
>>
>>66214013

Sittin tall on my EB pledge senpai. Might go all in when the pledge manager opens up
>>
>>66216374
I quite like Core Worlds but it's just a little too long for what you get imo.
>>
File: it's all so tiresome.jpg (33 KB, 300x300)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>66215368
>The whole point of Kickstarter is for people to throw money at someone with a good idea but no current way to actualize it.
That was the intent; the market decided to use it as a pre-order system for established companies, and a way for less intelligent publishers to tank their business by over-promising
>>
File: Ch...ch-check...'em.jpg (30 KB, 579x329)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>66216925
>>66216374
>>66214647
>something to scratch my deckbuilding itch

Funny thing. Now that you mention it, I feel the same itch - I have a few games with deckbuilding mechanics (Forbidden stars, Mombasa/GWT, Dominion, A few acres of snow, ...) but none of them feel... statisfying enough, if that makes sense. I do realise deckbuilding is not the main mechanic in most of these though.

Is there a consensus on "best deckbuilder"? I've looked into stuff like core worlds (which I found too heavily luckdependent albeit pleasingly fast), Clank (which I didn't like), millenium blades (the duels themselves and the artstyle kind of drove me off)
>>
Is Unfair worth buying?
>>
>>66212333
This guy got the right idea.

Although I would rank the Gaia Project Automa above the Scythe one.

Have you tried the digital Automa for Clans of Caledonia yet ?
It is pretty good and a substantial upgrade over the 2 dice blocker in the base game https://cocautoma.github.io/#
>>
>>66215030
As somebody that works in a FLGS I can confirm that Queen Games is just the worst when it comes to greedy cunts.
>>
>>66217206
If you want a soloable one, Aeon's End has a ridiculous amount of replay value.
>>
>>66217387
>Cooperative deckbuilder
I'm unsure anon. I've avoided most cooperative games like the plague because all of them I've played were either extremely easy or had massive quarterbacking problems.

Not a hypercompetitive kind of person, but as said, I've found most if not all coop games I've played to be bad.
>>
>>66214242
Gaia Project.
>>
>>66215368
Kickstarter is just a way for boardgame companies to give discounts for those who preorder.

Maybe that wasn't the original intent of the platform, but it's definitely how it is used now.
>>
>>66216264
>Make believe is the core of what makes abstracted mechanics work.
Are you dumb?

Games have three properties:
1. Clear, abstract, unambiguous rules.
2. Meaningful decisions to make.
3. A way to compete and track score.

"Make believe" is not part of what makes a game a game.
>>
>>66217686
Aeon's End is not easy. It actually has two difficulty levels across each nemesis and there's different levels between them to boot.

Quarterbacking is a player problem, not a game problem.

You want a deckbuilder, that's by far the best one out there. Competitive deckbuilders are boring.
>>
>>66217946
I second this Anon. I cobsider me and my group to be at least decent at boardgames, and we don't always win the game at the easier setup. Granted, we always use a randomized setup, including nemesis and mages, but still. Have only played with 3 or 4 players though.
>>
>>66218085
It's also harder with less players. True solo is a huge challenge.
>>
>>66218173
I heard it's easier with two players, actually.
>>
>>66218221
Sort of depends on the nemesis. On the one hand you can ramp your deck faster, on the other hand there's less players to fight against the nemesis powers/attacks. Something like Pulverizing Ray for example is much worse at 2 than at 3 or 4.
>>
>>66217946
>>66218085
Thing is, "hard" in coop games is difficult to manage.
Robinson crusoe is hard as well. But it's hard because randomness can and will absolutely fuck you. 4/6 missions in RC are absolutely doable on the first try. The cannibal island (or was it vulcano?) scenario however is considered the hardest. But it just is the hardest because randomness dictates the game to a degree that it is the sole deciding factor if you win or don't.
As another example (albeit not a deckbuilder) I feel Pandemic has a similar problem but to a far lesser degree. Which leads to Pandemic being an enormous borefest (seriously, how is this game still so popular?) because there is an optimal move like 98% of the time and 2% of the time you are just deciding between taking equal risk A or B.
Summarizing all of this: without humans to compete against, cooperative games always felt to me like you either lose to RNG or you win, and both are very unstatisfying.

The game however looks interesting. Although the card art is... well, debatable. But it kind of reminds me of the first two diablos, so that's a good thing.
>>
>>66218503
>randomness
Aeon's End is a game where you build your deck and you never shuffle it. Really the only time it feels like RNG screws you in that game is the turn order cards, but considering how much agency the game gives you over your deck, you really have no one to blame but yourself if you lose.
>>
>>66218503
>Summarizing all of this: without humans to compete against, cooperative games always felt to me like you either lose to RNG or you win, and both are very unstatisfying.
You could be trying Spirit Island, which still has RNG but it feels different from "oh shit, bad card got turned and I got fucked solely because of that"
Sure, sometimes a bad card can hinder you, but whenever you get fucked it's only your damn fault, especially since you will know with a big forewarning where the invaders are gonna build or ravage.
>>
Alright, so I got a weird question for you, regarding TTS and what to play on an unusual situation: I'm gonna play with a friend, but thing is he can't log on the TTS itself, so I need a decent title I can stream and play together.
I was thinking of Sherlock Holmes, but that's the only title in my mind at the moment.
What else could I try?
>>
>>66218831
kdm, it's actually decent to watch when digital
>>
>>66219150
That may be a bit too hardcore for him, he's more on the casual side.
>>
>>66218503
>lose to RNG or you win, and both are very unstatisfying
also reminiscent of games with two equally high skill opponents
>>
>>66217322
Yep!
It is definitely a huge upgrade like you said. When I found board game geek's compilation of all the unofficial automa rules for various games I almost burnt myself out playing so many solo games.
>>
I thought Scythe was shit and last few months all I see is praise
>>
>>66218649
Well this actually sounds like I should give it a try then. Thanks for bearing with me.

>>66218757
Never really looked into it, the first few reviews I watched of it seemed kind of meh. And, not being the biggest fan of coop games, I just never looked back. Maybe I should.
>>
>>66219605
>I thought Scythe was shit
Why?
>>
>>66219605
There's one really vocal fan.
>>
>>66219605
Scythe is 'OK' - not great, not awful, - at what it does. It was definitely over-hyped, and not as described by the creator.
>>
>>66219946
>not as described by the creator.
In what way? What aspect of Scythe did Jamey lie about?
>>
>>66219970
this is going to devolve into a semantics argument over '4X'. essentially, many thought combat would be central when the threat mainly looms in the background. idk why people thought he lied when it was evident from the descriptions and vids on the project
>>
>>66220016
>why people thought he lied
Because many people who play mechs on maps games are braindead and think that doing anything with them other than fighting is boring. That's actually what I love about Scythe- it's a game that dared to break conventions and did so successfully.
>>
>>66217828
So you only enjoy one very narrowly defined subset of games.
>>
>>66217206
>Is there a consensus on "best deckbuilder"?
If there is one it's VotK. The kickstarter is on PM and includes all expansions plus sleeves for less than the normal core (I mean that's relative)

Answers also acceptable: anything but dominion
>>
>>66220277
I feel like I must be missing something as VotK fell totally flat with me and my girlfriend. We like a lot of deckbuilders and I'm sure there's something good there but after two plays we have had no urge to ever play it again.
>>
>>66220314
Not the guy you're replying to, but for me I felt like it found elegant solutions to two of the key problems that break a lot of deckbuilders. The pyramid mechanic is a great compromise between the Dominion-style "these are all the cards that will ever exist, so just stare at them and form a plan and then there's half an hour of execution" and the Star Realms-style "new cards just enter the market at random at the end of your turn, better hope the card you really need doesn't appear then or you're fucked" mechanics, and the entombing mechanic is a good way to make deck-thinning always available (which it probably should be because it's usually so strong that if only one person gets it they almost certainly win he game).
>>
>>66220066
No. Read my damned post again, you tard.

'Make believe' is not an essential property of gaming. Some games feature 'make believe', some don't, but either way it doesn't make it less or more of a game experience.

Maybe you think that a movie must have actors who wear pants to be a movie?
>>
Are CMON fans the worst?
The Bloodborne comments are full of blind worshippers of Erik Money Lang and some other dude talking about their great track record...
>>
File: 1554733151567.jpg (85 KB, 640x779)
85 KB
85 KB JPG
I invested $350 into the Bloodborne Kickstarter.

Good or bad idea?
>>
>>66220459
>theme doesn't make it more of a game experience
That's definitely subjective. Sure, theme isn't an essential property of a game, but if we're being this pedantic all a game needs is one property:
A decision in which the payoffs for each choice are different for the player making that decision.

Games do not need a score or score tracker, they don't need meaningful decisions, and they don't even need clear rules. All that makes a game a game is whether or not there is a decision to be made.

What makes a game fun can be both mechanical, as you described, and thematic.
>>
>>66220520
I would narrow that down to minitature fans that don't care about boardgames at all
>>
>>66220533
Super terrible
Go for core if you really have to and decide later in the PM
>>
>>66220550
Any further or actual reasoning?
>>
Is Scythe campaign good? What does it play like?
>>
>>66220540
Wow, you are one dumb cookie.

> Games do not need a score or score tracker
Nobody said anything about any particular score tracker.
And yes, games absolutely *do* need a score. Keep in mind that a simple "win/lose" binary is also a kind of score.

> they don't need meaningful decisions
Yes they do, Snakes and Ladders isn't a game.

> and they don't even need clear rules
They absolutely do need rules. Being "clear" is a subjective emotional reaction, not a criterion.

> All that makes a game a game is whether or not there is a decision to be made.
No. Something with decisions but without rules and/or victory conditions isn't a game.

> What makes a game fun can be both mechanical, as you described, and thematic.
A game that isn't fun (in your subjective opinion) is still a game. Being 'fun' (whatever that means to you) is not an essential property of a game.
>>
>>66210783
Scythe hands down. Its the only solo game I have that feels like you are actually playing an opponent. I really like that the strategy is just as much about reducing the AI's points as it is about increasing yours.
>>
>>66220533
>invested...Kickstarter
Bad idea.
>>
>>66217828
If you associate that abstraction with anything, you're using your imagination to fill in the blanks. Doubting you're so cold as to only see the world in numbers and stats, you're pretending in some form.
>>
>>66218831
I mean you could do a webcast or Skype, facetime, whatever. TTS doesn't really benefit the situation if you're running it. You need clear one way video. I'd think card text would be an issue.

Also is it technical stupidity, toaster rig, no computer? What's the actual issue?
>>
>>66220314
That's fair. You should sell it, they're listed for a fair bit atm because half of everybody is scared of tarot sized cards, lol.

What other deck builders do you both like? Paperback is my favorite odd ball, Artic Scavengers my group's favorite. I like clank and clank in space despite having the star realms market problem, there's at least other stuff to do. Basically im a whore for any deck builder that's not dominion.
>>
>>66220533
Bad. You should go $700 so you have a copy to sell. You literally can't not make money.
>>
>>66220815
>>66220540
>they don't need meaningful decisions
>Yes they do, Snakes and Ladders isn't a game.

So you're both wrong: one of you is an autist, the other is retarded. I'll leave it to you to figure out which is who.
Uh,
1. There are no decisions in snakes and ladders or candy land
2. They're still games
>>
>>66220815
>Snakes and Ladders isn't a game

Imagine being this wrong
>>
>>66220533
Invest at much as you can into copies of bloodborne! It will be the currency of the future!
>>
>>66220459
>"Make believe" is not an essential property of gaming

Technically, it is, because you have to construct explanations for why components in an abstract game work the way they do. It is a small amount of make-believe, but it is there.

The reason pieces move differently in chess is that they represent different 'units'. This is, technically, make-believe. You are not commanding an army, you are moving tiny wood pieces. But the game needs a system, and the system needs reasons, so those reasons are explained via make-believe.

>>66220540
>>66220815
>>66222363
>>66222375

This is not a constructive argument to have. It's been had many times on these threads over the years. The point of "when exactly does it stop being a game" is the "induction is impossible" of game theory: it's a base issue that has no clean resolution.

Technically, Snakes and Ladders isn't a 'game', it's an interactive methodology of explaining the path to nirvana. But people play it, so it is.

Candyland is LESS of a game, since the randomization is already resolved at the outset, meaning it is simply a "deal cards to see what happens" device.

But it's difficult to discard them without also removing other games.
>>
>>66220533
Absolute chad idea, we will rule the earth to come like kings.
>>
>>66222111
No computer, I can use stream to display my TTS as long as the game being played does not become too tedious because of that.
That's why my idea was Sherlock Holmes, but it's the only one that comes to my mind.
>>
File: 1535171814262.jpg (68 KB, 578x406)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
What are the odds the current tariff war is going to sink Americam Kickstarter projects that have recently been funded?
Was Blood on the Clocktower playing 4D chess all along, originating in Australia?
>>
File: 3push2push1.png (967 KB, 1280x720)
967 KB
967 KB PNG
>>66223492
>you have to construct explanations for why components in an abstract game work the way they do
do you? I mean, really?
>>
>>66223984
>CMON goes out of business and all Bloodborne backers are left with is the taste of ashes in their mouth
>>
>>66217244
>>66217244
>>66217244
>>66217244
>>66217244
>>66217244
>>66217244
>>
>>66217244
>>
>>66224270
CMON is literally printing moneyfigures, I doubt tarriffs are going to impact them. Plus you know the backers would gladly shell out an extra $50 just to get their fix.
>>
>>66224298
CMON also reported a fat chunk of losses last year, I hope they turn it around if only because I like the look of their games, even if they all turn out to be medioccre. Hoping at least one ends up panning out into something I really like, my next hope (that will probably be quashed) is Project: Elite.
>>
File: 1447038900087.gif (8 KB, 99x99)
8 KB
8 KB GIF
2 of my players left for a few days from our DnD game, and we want to continue the story in a more "build up your garrison".

What game has a good system to play "stronghold" or "age of empires" in a /tg ?
>>
File: file.png (601 KB, 466x509)
601 KB
601 KB PNG
>>66224414
well obviously NOT red dragon inn since you'll be being faggots instead of drinking, so there's that.
>>
>>66224121
>Posts a picture of a game about pushing marbles out of a ring with larger masses of marbles
>Where the ability to push those marbles is named "sumito", a made-up word that closely resembles "sumo".
>Doesn't think there's a level of make-believe/simulation
>>
>>66224414
>Stronghold building game
I....I really don't know one. Sure, there's stronghold which is cool, but it really isnt a castle builder

I kind of need this in my life
>>
File: coimbra.jpg (193 KB, 681x681)
193 KB
193 KB JPG
anyone remember Coimbra?
>>
>>66224930
I remember looking into it some time ago, but deciding against it because >dice drafting
>>
>>66222363
>2. They're still games
They're not, at least not in the sense of /tg/ games.

The word 'game' is very overloaded -- cats torturing mice is a called a 'game', and so is the history of grand politics in Afghanistan between the Russian and British Empires.

But it's disingenuous to argue about dictionary definitions when everybody knows what you mean from context.
>>
>>66220667
It's more of an introduction to the various tweaks it offers. I enjoyed the novelty of a bunch of linked games of scythe, but some people find it frustrating since nearly half the scenarios are a variation on race to the factory. I'd definitely recommend it if you want a bunch of stuff to extend the replayability of the base game.
>>
>>66223984
>tariff war ends in limited nuclear exchange, tiny fiefdoms arise around those smart enough to have backed Bloodborne, as minis are the only viable currency
brb lads, I'm getting in for 1400$
>>
>>66220815
>no one said anything about a score tracker
Uhhh
>3. A way to compete and track score.
A way to track score aka a score tracker. That can be pencil and paper, done mentally, whatever, but there's still a method of score tracking. At any rate it's wrong. Win/lose binary is not typically thought of as a "Score", but even then it's still not correct, as all games actually need are different payoffs, not necessarily win vs lose.

>Being "clear" is a subjective emotional reaction, not a criterion.
Then why was it included as a criterion? At any rate games do need rules, but those rules don't have to ever be conveyed to the player playing the game. Complete vs incomplete information.

>games need etc etc
Your entire argument is trying to reduce a game to what it actually needs to be a game, and all of those things you mentioned are not critical to a game being a game.

The reason I bring in "fun" is because all of the things you mentioned are pretty critical to making games tangible and enjoyable to play, and if we look through your definitions of what makes a game a game, we could add in the thematic explanations as well and just accept that most games need some amount of all of these things to be enjoyable.

>>66223492
Like I said, it's pedantic to reduce games to not needing theme because of his specific mechanical definitions when in fact games don't even require those mechanical properties to begin with. The entire point of my post was to show how unhelpful it is to say "a game only needs X to be a game". It's not helpful because it's too broad to zero in on why we pay board games. Make believe, aka theme, is definitely something that happens even in abstract strategy games, and to say it's not an important property of games is both technically true and ridiculously unhelpful.
>>
File: 1460032223990.gif (1.99 MB, 400x400)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
Anyone tried Batman: Gotham City Chronicles yet?
>>
>>66226559
Yep. 3 games. Ask away, but I'll say this up front:

Fantastic game design overall.

Rules fucking suck to learn, 3 games in and I'm still getting things wrong (nothing so far that's helped me, fortunately, but it still bugs me when I've been basically watching rules threads nonstop and asking questions myself).

Storage sucks ass.
>>
File: plaindoll.jpg (109 KB, 700x606)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>only 3 hours to go and we need to raise $100k for the doll
H-help me out here /bloodchads/ are we go-gonna be OK??
>>
>>66224930
Yeah. I wouldn't say it's a must-buy but I quite like it. I think the two resources thing gives it quite a bit of flexibility.
>>
>>66226846

Honestly might just drop my pledge on account of never actually playing the game, what with sony refusing to let it be ported to PC. Still, looks fun though.
>>
>>66226672
I just got my all-in today and the components look amazing. (Have just opened the two main boxes so far) I'll wait with opening the expansions until I've got a few games under my belt.

How is it with different player counts?
How's the balance? Should the expereienced player play the villians or heroes?
>>
>>66220533
based and singaporepilled
>>
>>66224930
yeah, great mobile app art
>>
Anybody pay Glory to Rome? Worth getting and why (not)?
>>
File: 61D-DUIzRPL._SX425_.jpg (54 KB, 425x425)
54 KB
54 KB JPG
What are /bgg/'s thoughts on Descent and games similar to it?
>>
>>66227759
I think dungeon crawlers need to be way more creative than they are right now. Legacy is just another blind alley.
>>
>>66227021

>Different player counts?

Fine, as long as nobody has crippling AP. Had a learning game take 3 hours because the 2 heroes were talking out their possibilities and contingency plans. Smart ideas on a micro-decision basis, bad on macro (as in their overall strategy needed more work).

>Balance
Seems really tight, but villain-favored for first-timers. Usually villains are straight-forward on what they should do and go about it, while heroes are far more nuanced to get down. Of course this can also be determined by scenario since most of them have the onus of "doing things" on the heroes, while others are on the villain to get their task done before the heroes stop them.
>>
>>66220575
2-3 weeks for hype to die down before you decide if you really, really want to spend up to an additional $250 on a CMON cashgrab game.
>>
Anyone got a full PnP of Antiquity that is not a redesign? Also give me some ideas of games I could print that are not card games yet are good and/or a bit out of print / obscure
>>
>>66227759

I'd say Kingdom Death is similar enough, and it's amazing and currently has no equal on the market. I can't even think of another game that has a world and setting that I even care about. That said I've yet to try gloomhaven.
>>
>>66228287
I was really hoping KDM would do something for easter, but they've been all quiet on that front since black friday of last year. I've only ever played it on TTS but it's fun and I want to get a physical copy at some point.

Gloomhaven isn't bad, but it can drag on to the point where it overstays it's welcome. We've had games set up where it'll take us the whole night to finish off a single mission because of the game mechanics and objectives. It's like they didn't really intend for you to ever get through a whole campaign. It's another game where I've avoided grabbing a physical copy, not because of the price but because of the sheer size of the box - that, and, if somebody in your group already owns it there's no real reason to buy it yourself.
>>
>>66228411

>not because of the price but because of the sheer size of the box

I'm curious how gloomhaven stacks up against KDM with it's expansions. I went all in on the kickstarters, so I'm sitting on core and...season 1? Wave 1? However they're going to label the current set of expansions, and it takes up a shit ton of space. I got a battlefoam transport bag specifically for KDM as well. Regarding price, that's typically why I carry my copy to conventions when I go to them. Looking forward to dreamhack this year in dallas, bringing my copy to play with a friend I only see like once a year. Brought it last year to austin and he loved it.

>TTS

I don't think I'll ever want to go that route. Like, sure I get that it's the only option for some people, but its like watching a great movie in pirated format with shit cam quality. It's just not the same as sitting around a table with actual people playing it, and if I can't get that environment, I'd rather just not play and wait until I can.
>>
>>66228545
>TTS
It's an option. When all of your old pals you used to play D&D with every sunday night moved halfway across the country in opposite directions for college and then settled in another state it's really your only option.
>>
>>66227759
Descent without the app? Ok.
Descent with the app? Great.
Descent co-op adventures? Ball breaking hard but fun.
>>
>>66226846
well it's been 3 hours, did you get the doll or did all the weebs drop their pledges?
>>
>>66228095
some of the 18xx are PnP
>>
>>66210783
>Have you backed Bloodborne?

Oh, it’s a board game now? Kick ass!

>go to page

32 minutes left. How much?

>hunned dollah for base game, two fiddy for everything

Ha ha, no. I just dropped a buck twenty on Old School Essentials. I’ll get this if it actually hits market.
>>
File: file.png (359 KB, 680x213)
359 KB
359 KB PNG
>25 minutes to go
>$22,000 short of the doll
>weebshits BTFO
>>
>>66229705
They'll say the Chinese backers made them hit the goal, especially since they never have to reveal the actual numbers.
>>
File: spack_sporer.gif (7.95 MB, 480x258)
7.95 MB
7.95 MB GIF
Space Explorers shipping. This week or next.
>>
>>66222279
Paperback is a lot of fun, although I don't get much chance to play it as my friend owns it. We also enjoy Clank, Aeon's End, Star Realms(its not the best game but its satisfying for such a quick and easy game), and Tyrants of the Underdark, which is definitely our favourite and one of the more underrated games out there.
All of these use deckbuilding to work towards a greater goal of either attacking your opponent/enemy, or vying for board control/movement. Games like VotK and Dominion just sort of make you deckbuild for the sake of deckbuilding, which usually leaves me with the feeling of "why are we doing this?"
>>
How important are Scythe expansions? And if they add a lot to the game - which one to get?
>>
What are some games that used to have all the hype, and are now barely even whimpered?
I taught my wife Santorini recently, and realized that game was hyped as fuck when it was being funded and initially hitting stores. Hardly a peep now. Summoner Wars was the bees knees for years( till is one of my favorite games), but I'll never read a forum post including it in the games someone played last week.

In the inverse, what old as balls games still get talked about and hyped in your game groups/social circles, to your delight? Or seething rage, idc
>>
>>66230153
>important
The game comes with a fuck ton of variability to begin with. That said Invaders is great if you want more boards/factions and Wind's Gambit is great if you want new ways for the game to end. Fenris has a campaign if you're into that, but if not it adds a bunch of modules similar to what Tuscany did for Viticulture.

I'd say buy Scythe base first if you haven't yet, and as you feel the game needs more, go get more.
>>
>>66230203
KDM? Do you count that as a board game?
Zombicide and Agricola died pretty quickly with my group, still see people at my LGS playing those one every few months though.
>>
>>66229620
Unfortunately, 7 or 8 of the nine major sets are KS exclusive because CMON are fags. Fortunately, there will undoubtedly be idiots desperately trying to unload their all-in pledges for a fraction of the price they paid for them.
>>
>>66230454
It'll be Green Horde all over again. It's why I don't back CMON anymore - if their game turns out bad, bullet dodged (and you can get the game for next to nothing later, see: B-Sieged as an easy example). If the game is good, at worst I'll be paying a $10-20 markup and get my game immediately (and if it's when an ebay coupon os rolling, a discount).
>>
>>66230203
Photosynthesis. One of the few games I played during the hype, and I couldn't understand what all the raving was about. Now? not a whisper.

I'm the one bringing all the odd ball hits to my group thanks to you fucking faggots and your shitty advice.
>>
>>66230203
>what old as balls games still get talked about and hyped in your game groups/social circles, to your delight?
Dune is the undisputed winner of this category.
>>
>>66230593
What have been hits for your group, anon?
>>
>>66229588
We got it senpai
>>
Been watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPOdVWbfKaM

to figure out if I want to get Scythe and the game seems really solid. Can someone give me some negatives? So far all I've got is that the lake dive mechanic is complete thematical nonsense and that combat seems even more simplistic than in Kemet. Positives are also fine.
>>
>>66232091
Solitaire cold war game that's largely determined by player / mat combos than actual skill. You can mitigate this with like, 3 different expansions mashed together, but at that point you're way better off getting a different game.
>>
>>66232108
Any suggestions?
>>
>>66232091
>negatives
You spend the first 12-15 turns masturbating in your own corner of the map before making the final push for area control, an absurd time compared to other games where you are contesting each other turn 1.
Combat happens only 0-2 time per player unless you get dealt the black faction, which is the only player that has fun at the table.
Only way to spread up your engine is from the luck of the draw off the event deck.
Better hope you get dealt a good faction + player board combo otherwise you’re going to be at a statistical disadvantage.
Popularity actively discourages interaction and encourages passive play.
>>
>>66232200
>event deck

Yeah, I think this is gonna be the deal breaker for me; I traded Spirit Island due to fear cards for example.
>>
>>66232194
Depends on what you want from Scythe. I've yet to find any board control games I like that are largely about board control - my fortes are more skirmish / tactics games (which one could argue has board control elements) and worker placement (and to a lesser extent deckbuilding, but I've only played Dominion and found a few suggested ones not hitting the same itch). Every time I try to branch out into other genres I find them lackluster.
>>
>>66232290
Eh, I like table activation (as in Marco Polo) but with player interaction, one-uppance etc. I mostly play 2p so that's why I didn't go for games like Terra Mystica for example. My top 3 games are Carcassonne, Castles of Burgundy and Roads and Boats.
>>
>>66232254
The event deck is probably the single least important aspect of Scythe. You always have good choices, I've never drawn a card and thought "of of course it's THIS card". They're always positive and they all give you 3 choices- 1 is free, 1 has a small cost, and 1 has a large cost. Even if you hate random encounters like the biggest Eurofag on the planet, you wont hate them in Scythe.

>>66232108
>solitaire
if your group sucks yeah it's solitaire.
>>
>>66232194
Not him, but nobody seems to agree on what genre Scythe is so I’m going to recommend a 90min 4x/hex&chit wargame, Conquest of Paradise. This underrated game does the economic resource management, exploration, alt vps, and Cold War/costly combat better than Scythe with more additions like supply lines and hidden movement.
>>
>>66232091
If you think it seems solid from watching that play through then get it. Don't listen to the autistic rants of the one guy on here that has a massive Scythe hate boner and complains non stop that it isn't combat 120% of the time.

Obviously its more euro focused but again, thats obvious from the video you posted. There are no hidden mechanics that you won't see by watching it.
building up your faction is satisfying, the event deck is a tiny part of the game, The game doesn't discourage combat, it happens regularly, its also there as a looming threat not to be used as "hurr I attack you every turn"
i've also never felt at a disadvantage due to my faction/board combo and I've played over 30 times.
It's a very good game.
>>
>>66232930
Seconding everything this anon said with the small exception of
>i've also never felt at a disadvantage due to my faction/board combo and I've played over 30 times.
There are definitely some combinations that are worse than others, but that's true of almost any game with variable player powers. I'd still say it's more balanced than most Euros that have them (like say Terra Mystica). Any downside here is also offset by the fact that each combination plays differently enough that it's fun to discover how to make them work. And even with two mats banned- Rusviet Industiral and Crimea Patriotic- I've never found that a new player playing those boards would even come close to beating a veteran player with a sub-optimal combo.
>>
>>66230203
Time Stories seemed like a thing that blew peoples minds, but then just blooped out of existence. I didn't even realize they made more than 3 campaigns for it. 7th Continent too.

My group continues to make really good use of Chinatown. That's a game that's just so simple and open.
>>
File: img_2823.jpg (270 KB, 768x576)
270 KB
270 KB JPG
As a mainly euro gamer I just want to put it out there that I find War of the Ring 2e to be one of the most brilliantly designed games I've ever come across.
You often read/hear "This game is X in a box", but the only time I've found this to be true is WotR. Even if you play purely mechanical, you cannot be off theme, the game is inseperable from it.
>>
>>66232194
yeah, ignore this>>66232108 moron.
>>
File: CHADVANG.jpg (252 KB, 691x945)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
Who /trudvanglegends/ here? I'm pre-emptively backing this masterpiece for $500. Bloodborne has taught me waiting around on this is pointless. CMON will ALWAYS hit those stretch goals, the campaign will ALWAYS be successful and the game will ALWAYS be great.

Trudchads, ASSEMBLE!
>>
>>66232360
>>66233507
>>66233309
>Conquest of Paradise
>Chinatown
>War of the Ring 2e
I just got some gift card money I'm gonna put towards a board game and all of these sound super appealing. Conquest of Paradise in particular but I worry it might be too heavy for my regular group.
>>
>>66229432
What's so good about using the app compared to overlord vs heroes?
I found the latter much funnier and fast.
>>
Anyone played this Civilization board game with an opinion to share?
>>
>>66233830
Wait, are they making a boardgame out of it? I know the RPG.
>>
Favorite worker placement game? Mine has to be Argent: the consortium.
>>
>>66235007
Yes, CMON and master designer Eric "MoMoney" Lang will be making another plastic pusher sometime soon.
>>
>>66226342
>A way to track score aka a score tracker.
No, you potato retard.

"A way to track score" is not the same thing as "score tracker". (The same way that "a way to move about" is not the same thing as an "automobile".)

Like I said, a simple "you win, I lose" condition is also a way to track score.
>>
>>66232091
>Can someone give me some negatives?
For the life of me, I can't figure out why somebody would want to play this over Gaia Project.
>>
>>66235024
>Favorite worker placement game?
Russian Railroads or A Feast for Odin.
>>
>>66235024
I've been a big fan of most of the L99 products I've tried, so I'd love to give Argent a go, but never got the chance and I play Eurogames infrequently enough that it's difficult to justify buying it. So currently my favourite worker placement game is easily Agricola, mostly because I like the fact that you get a different hand of cards every game and have to think of a strategy for it - you can't just play the game the same every time (this is why I hated Caverna).
>>
>>66235024
>Argentum: the consortium
Always wondered about that game. It seemed very cool, but I was driven off a bit by the usual Level99 artwork and the fact that it seems complex to the point of being convoluted. How does it play?

>Fav worker placement
I have to settle on Agricola, it still gets played after 12 years when I can't get new games on the table after a year. And the million cards and lots of variants are really nice, even if one does feel its age at times.

Would choose Madeira otherwise, but I suppose that's more of a dice placement game.
>>
>>66235204
Like I said you retard
>That can be pencil and paper, done mentally, whatever, but there's still a method of score tracking.
You cannot track score and not have some way of tracking said score. That's a contradiction.
>>
>>66235281
What? Argent is extremely simple in its mechanics:
You may take one fast action.
You must take one standard action.
That's your turn. The complexity comes purely from the combinaisons that arise from the board/consortium/mages/drawn spells/drawn supporters that are in play. It's almost entirely about your decision making skills once the setup is done.
>>
>>66233830
I smell a light and simple game just like CMON games in general...
>>
File: trdvng.jpg (210 KB, 721x1024)
210 KB
210 KB JPG
>>66233830
>>66235007
>>66235369
Damn, didn't expect to see Drakar&Demoner in /bgg/. I wonder how involved Riotminds will be with development. If nothing else they'll have a lot of art to draw from
>>
>>66234731
>app vs overlord

To be honest, this is entirely dependent on the overlord player. The missions for the app were also way more balanced.
>>
>>66234746
Its the light version of the superior 2010 game.
>>
>>66235830
I don't know, I found it more engaging, and even if the overlord is not the greatest player the quests themselves are still challenging for the players.
App made everything slower since you have to keep pressing on the tablet and update the board, killing the pace.
>>
>>66235281
The game isn't complex, just very dense with content and options.
>>
>>66235298
"Score tracker" != "a way of tracking score".

Compare: "foot scratcher" != "a way of scratching feet".

I scratch my feet all the time, but I sure as hell don't own a foot scratcher.
>>
>>66233843
Conquest is GMT’s most rules light game, only 8 pages of rules that can be taught entirely from the great player aids. If your group can handle light euros like Castles of Burgandy you’ll have no problem picking the game up since they are similar in complexity and dogshit ugliness.
>>
File: 1557003058697.jpg (597 KB, 2160x3000)
597 KB
597 KB JPG
>>66232200
>Popularity actively discourages interaction and encourages passive play.

Is this true or does this anon harbor a grudge against based Jamey Steigmaier of Stonemaier games?
>>
File: foot.jpg (58 KB, 500x500)
58 KB
58 KB JPG
>>66235970
>I scratch my feet all the time, but I sure as hell don't own a foot scratcher.
what do you scratch them with?
oh look, that's a "foot scratcher" because you scratch you feet with it.
>>
>>66236815
Whenever you initiate a fight in an area with workers (of any faction), you lose popularity. Unless you've got the right board that ignores that rule. Popularity is your end-game score multiplier so, yeah, it's discouraged.
>>
>>66236857
I "scratch" them with my mind, overcoming the meaningless urge to itch with sheer mental fortitude.
>>
>>66236857
With my finger, you dumbass.

And no, my finger is not a "foot scratcher".
>>
>>66236891
And there is no way to mitigate this by enhancing popularity through losses from combat and the like?
>>
File: that feel.gif (898 KB, 487x560)
898 KB
898 KB GIF
>>66236915
>not going with foot fetish porn to scratch the foot "itch"

>>66237008
>And no, my finger is not a "foot scratcher".
here's where you're wrong
>>
>>66237008
>And no, my finger is not a "foot scratcher".
surely it is when its scratching feet, just like a book would become a weapon i you twatted someone on the head with it
>>
>>66237076
but foot scratchers exist as products as do back scratchers, and hands dont physically transform when being used for those tasks. forks dont physically become combs even if you use it as one
>>
File: Spoiler Image (684 KB, 634x466)
684 KB
684 KB PNG
>>66237150
>forks dont physically become combs even if you use it as one
surely you mean dinglehoppers
>>
>>66237065
You only lose popularity if you initiate combat with a worker. Against a mech/character nothing happens. You will rarely be attacking workers, and if you do it will only be 1 or 2 workers max. Getting 1-2 popularity to compensate is easy. If an opponent has mechs+3 or more workers in one space they will probably be hiding in their corner with next to no board control anyway so you won't be needing to attack them.

Also I don't get why every conversation about scythe only revolves around combat. If it's really THAT important just play a wargame instead.
>>
File: 1548272275336.jpg (62 KB, 781x400)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>Invested all that money into the Bloodborne Kickstarter
>Forgot shipping costs exist until some guy commented about it on the Kickstarter

How much does shipping internationally cost in USD?
New Zealand if that matters.
>>
File: IMG_6277.png (713 KB, 814x610)
713 KB
713 KB PNG
>>66233507
Also has some of the greatest promos ever.
>>
>>66237336
I do hate the concept of Big company KS in general and bloodborne backers shitting up the thread of lately, but honestly - the additional 40 dollaroonies (it says so on the KS page) shouldn't be the problem.
>>
>>66237336
>How much does shipping internationally cost in USD?
>New Zealand if that matters.
So Anon, which is your least favorite internal organ? Hopefully nature has favored you with a good blood-type as well.
>>
>>66237267
So you like the game?
>>
File: 1451478746791.gif (1.94 MB, 235x180)
1.94 MB
1.94 MB GIF
TFW Trudvang Legends is even simpler than Bloodborne and Cthulhu DMD

TFW it's a choose your own adventure with book with the occasional card play (like Bloodborne).
>>
File: frodo2.jpg (93 KB, 400x399)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>66237472
>Unless the shadow player can provide a good argument against it
>>
File: WHY.jpg (90 KB, 855x704)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>66238188
>mfw I always wanted more narratively driven games
>also mfw I realized they need to be lowest common denominator storytelling to not bei niche games

Is there an intelligent, narratively driven game? And by intelligent I just mean well-written. Because as of now, I am afraid we'll not get much further than the abomination that was Pandemic Legacy.
>>
Decided to stay off Scythe once I found out that movement and production are separate actions; that's my main pet peeve in board games.

>move
>end turn
>production phase
>end turn
>move again
>end turn
>fight
>end turn
etc

I hate stilted crap.
>>
File: Saar1.jpg (424 KB, 1291x878)
424 KB
424 KB JPG
>>66238774
>I want to move and produce on the same turn.
[self-sustaining deathball intensifies]
>>
>>66237472
A bit jealous, I only have the lame Treebeard expansion.

Do you own WoME? I am always on the fence of getting it, but I've been talked out of it by a friend. Love LoME though.
>>
>>66238819
Actually don't own the game at all, sadly.
It's on the list though, maybe later this year.
>>
>>66238800
What's that? Twilight Imperium? I don't play games that cost more than 100 bucks.
>>
>>66237472
>>66233507
Great game, but you need to be a fan of the theme to enjoy it, takes a very long time and isn't particularly complex. Basically Stalling Sauron: the Game.
>>
>>66239207
So get your friends to chip in 20 bucks.
>>
>>66239235
>friends

lol
>>
>>66238774
I've played scythe and I get why people like it art/theme/engine building but it didn't make me go wow lets play another game after really anti climactic ending for me and the combat is boring but to each his own i guess

Any alitplano fans here? The more i play this game more it opens up to me the beginning is a bit slow but once you get your bag going your turns feel amazing as your doing so many actions and plannin your moves more carefully, i just got the traveler expansion which seems like it speeds up the game but i have yet yo give it a go
>>
>>66237336
More a point of curiosity than anything, but re: international shipping costs, does it ever NOT matter that you're in NZ? Because it seems like that would matter. And also, why do you want the total in USD and not Kiwibux?
>>
>>66239520
>>66237336
>all that socialism
>can't afford shipping
>>
>>66239520
>why do you want the total in USD and not Kiwibux?
KEK! I thought you wrote 'Kwaibux'. Or are they the same thing?
>>
I should ignore the lingering sense of regret in fully backing Bloodborne, right?
>>
>>66239875
Why? It's yours now, you've quite literally bought it.
>>
>>66239875
No , you should learn from it so you do not back more shit
>>
>>66239482
>it didn't make me go wow lets play another game after really anti climactic ending for me and the combat is boring
This is going to sound like shilling, but it really is the kind of game that is at its absolute worst on the first few plays. It's less confrontational when most or all players are new, and it feels relatively narrow when you start. Once players wrap their heads around the system, the game opens up a ton, and in general I prefer games that open up over time than close off (for example Terra Mystica/GP, despite all the variability, really close off after a few plays).
>>
>>66239918
>kikestarter shill
It's in the mail hey? Nothing like preordering shit 2 years ahead of time
>>
>>66239875
Is it too late?
Then yes, probably.
Can you back out?
Then no, cancel it.

Either way, you probably will have long forgotten about it when it actually arrives/doesn't arrive. I suppose that's the reason why buyer's remorse isn't as big with KS boardgames as other ones, the temporal disconnect between paying and getting the product.
>>
>>66239969
>Nothing like preordering shit 2 years ahead of time
It's pretty amazing that you could miss the point of a thing by that much without access to a working FTL drive
>>
>>66238188
Have they shown the gameplay already?
>>
>>66240044
>It's pretty amazing that you could miss the point of a thing by that much
What is your fucking point faggot? Cmon needs your money up front to develop their sub par games?
I don't think you understand the point of kickstarter which is not for large companies to use as a preordering service.
>>
>>66240181
Not defending CMON, but you realize most of these are not their in-house initiatives. It's not like they've got guys like McVeigh or Adrian Smith on their regular staff. They do some launches as completely cmon, like zombicide, but mainly they just market themselves as an Indy friendly publisher. If you've got a half-developed product you can bring it to them, and they'll say, sure man, we'll get in bed with you, make it a kickstarter, and if it raises enough, you finish it, we'll publish it, everybody wins. Under the old way of doing things, you'd have to convince CMON to back you at substantial risk. Now, if you have a great game, all you have to do is find an audience.

If you're somebody like Eric Lang, that's got a lot of appeal. You get to publish and profit off a game without taking on any risk larger than the time invested in development. Likewise CMON gets to make money on something they didn't actually develop themselves. The appeal for the gamer is that it's a structure that allows a lot of niche games to exist which would otherwise never see the light of day because their fanbases are too small for traditional publishing and distribution. The BB license probably has enough inertia to get turned in to *something* on its own steam, but maybe not the game lang & co wanted.

By all means don't use it if you don't like it. But understand that KS exists specifically because it supports a different development model and different products.
>>
I think I'll just get over my Bloodborne regrets by fully backing Trudvang when it comes out. It'll be just as good value and there's no way both games will be unsatisfying.
>>
>>66239647
dunno, have to ask an expert
>>
Opinions on Dice Forge and Takenoko?
>>
>>66240737
Takenoko's cute but a little too basic for me. I was fucking bored out of my mind and in disbelief at the level of AP the other 2 players were showing when someone was teaching 3 of us. The game is as simple as:

>Have cards you don't have the objectives for yet? Work towards the most valuable one you can.

>Have all your objective cards fulfilled? Draw one and then go after it with your second action. If you have 5 cards fulfilled in your hand before this, play one.

>Play Bamboo-height cards ASAP.

Other than this, the only real "deep" strategy is trying to screw over opponents with farmer / panda placement to minimize their options. Otherwise there's not much value to planning super far ahead since your best game plan is to make the best usage of your dice you roll every turn. Roll double action? Well using the farmer twice is great to achieve the bamboo-height cards. 3rd action is probably the best in general. Upgrades (read: taking a water token 99% of the time) is a good way to avoid wasting actions taking water sticks. The lightning bolt is a great way to get 2 panda actions in one turn, same with the grow / farmer combo.

Rolling with the punches got me a pretty quick victory and I gleaned this from a single game, the teacher admitted he wasn't sandbagging either. Not trying to say I'm super smart, fuck I'm dumb as shit, but I was just annoyed by the glacial pace of the other 2 grown men who were thinking way too hard about the gameplay loop. I think the most difficult decision you make is what card to take when drawing more, which seems to vary with how the board currently looks / how close the game is to ending.
>>
>>66237336
It's $40 usd for the base game to NZ so for all in I'm guessing $70-80 USD?

Sup fellow kiwi. You're not in Tauranga are you?
>>
File: 81EWQ+gUgrL._SL1500_.jpg (221 KB, 1298x1500)
221 KB
221 KB JPG
just picked this up, lads. what am I in for
>>
Pax Pamir will ship out soon.

It'll probably take years before I find a group to play it with. Hope the solo automated opponent is good.
>>
>>66241660
>back the Pax Pamir reprint
>Cole Wehrle doesn't even come to your house to play it with you
>>
Board games for Thulsa Doom!
>>
>>66241762
Why is there no snake cult board game?
>>
File: 752.jpg (198 KB, 500x500)
198 KB
198 KB JPG
>>66241798
Because GMT will only ever give you the reverse
>>
>>66241581
A great, relatively fast euro with multiple different paths to victory.

Really like the game. The theme does nothing for me - it actually discouraged me from getting it - and yet I found ot great upon playing for the forst time.
>>
File: umm sweetie.jpg (6 KB, 237x250)
6 KB
6 KB JPG
>>66240639
>there's no way both games will be unsatisfying.

>>66241798
Because Ninja Division is going bankrupt before they do a remake of tentacle bento
>>
File: 1463807104640.gif (2.68 MB, 200x150)
2.68 MB
2.68 MB GIF
>>66238695
>balanced
>>
>>66241660
>>66241735
Yeah that was a pleasant surprise for sure, didn't expect to get it until like late July/August (though I guess that's still possible). I'm just gonna force my group to try it at least three, four, maybe seven times.

On a more serious and somewhat related note, I wonder if and to what extent the current US-China spat will affect the promised John Company reprint...

>>66241823
>GMT
>coop game
Goddamn it I threw coop games out the window a long time ago, but now I have to consider one.
>>
>>66235239
My guy
Patrician taste
>>
I'm going to play wingspan tonight for the first time. I'm looking forward to it because I don't understand the hype about it so want to see for myself.
I think it would be really cool if they would make localised versions cos I think a lot of the coolness factor is seeing birds you recognise
>>
>>66243076
Report back. My buddy has it and has played but I don't trust his judgement.
>>
>>66241581
To suck on the teat of negative vps because you couldn't move your train.
>>
>>66235239
I really wanna play feast, but that price tag is nothing to scoff at
>>
>>66241762
I realize you didn't do that but that is some sad fucking shopping
>>
>>66238698
Arkham Horror LCG
>>
How's Nightfall? (with Martial Law expansion)

I don't usually play card games. Is its chaining mechanic unique or even good?
>>
>>66238698
Sherlock Holmes games

>>66245249
lol
>>
>>66239956
>>66239482

100% agreed.
All my friends+girlfriend were not super keen on it after their first play, but after I got them to play another few times they all love it. The game doesnt end suddenly when you know what to look for and when everyone can see someone is about to get their 5th/6th star the rush starts and its always satisfying. Don't write it off until youve played it a few times with other people who've played it a few times.
>>
>>66242544
It'll be easier to consider after they do better on the graphic design
>>
>>66245372
Wasn't kidding, anon. AHLCG is a great narrative game. In terms of narrative quality and gameplay quality, it's probably the best marriage of the two out there.
>>
>>66245362
>How's Nightfall? (with Martial Law expansion)
>I don't usually play card games. Is its chaining mechanic unique or even good?
Oh my yes.
The chain mechanic is all about consequences. Building a combo you can cycle through on your turns chain is one thing. Being able to deploy it whenever during the game off of other players chains leads to much consternation, laughs, and cussing.
At the same time, blowing your entire load on someone else's chain leaves you vulnerable on your own turn.
The game provides of lot of
>Hahahahaha I am genius
>....
>OH NO!
Moments
It's a give and take of what you are willing to risk, and actually rewards paying close attention to how the other players are building their decks to either deny chain-mooching or get it on the action.
Base+ Martial law alone is great.
The design space for chains is well explored in just those first few sets.
>>
>>66239956
>>66245525
How exactly does Scythe open up?
>>
>>66246213
People fight more because they understand how to mitigate popularity loss. People try different strategies for scoring, learning to balance popularity gain with star gain. People learn how to adapt to different mats and factions which drastically changes their playstyle game to game.You realize some things that seem not at all viable (e.g. structure bonuses) are actually critical once games start to come down to the wire.

It really is a game where better players make the game better.
>>
I never played those wargames with barebones maps and hexagonal chits, what's the combat like there? Talking about PvP. Do they mostly feature same mechanics?
>>
>>66246086
Thanks, it's on my radar. Does it have a lot of push-your-luck moments?
>>
your top five reviewers?

1. calandale
2. undead viking
3. heavy cardboard
4. jongetsgames
5. marcowargamer
>>
>>66247826
Depends on how autistic the system gets, generally most are dice driven + unit modifiers like Twilight Imperium + other things like range and line of sight but there are plenty of exceptions to that.
>>
>>66248009
any cheaper alternative to TI?
>>
>>66247941
1. Michael Barnes
2. Michael Walker + Mark Bigny (power couple)
3. Board Game Replay
4. Space Biff
5. STEEV's take on any given ameritrash title
>>
>>66248018
Scroll through GMT’s catalogue and pick a game based on how autistic your group is willing to get, I’m not familiar with war games outside of them. I’ve been recommending Conquest of Paradise lately because it is a good intro to these games for casual Euro players, but if you got a heavy group jump into Cuba Libre, Fire on the Lake, Talon, Sekigahara, Space Corp or Space Empire.
>>
File: castle-ravenloft.jpg (112 KB, 600x664)
112 KB
112 KB JPG
got gifted this how fucked am i
>>
>>66248118
Sekigahara seems rather simple though, did not look at the others
>>
>>66248285
good minis not awful from what I've heard. I'd play it solo if you don't want.
>>
>>66248293
It’s rules light but strategy deep, the more you understand the hidden movement the more AP you’ll be facing, but it is 2p so this isn’t a con. Only played it a couple of times (don’t play 2p often) but I’ve enjoyed it every time, even if it’s one of the more entry level war games.
>>
>>66247941
>undead viking
Literally a paid shill for kickstarters.
>>
Just marathoned a 5 minute game of Kingdomino, what did I think?
>>
I hate to bring up more Kickstarter when we had to deal with weeks of bloodborne telling, but anyone have an opinion on Hostage Negotiator? I'm actually very intrigued by a game designed to be solo.
>>
>>66249626
Probably "Meh, it's an alright superlight game but I wouldn't want to play this very often"
>>
is the original world of warcraft board game worth the high price?
with all the recent talks again about WoW Classic, it reminded me of this games existence.
looked around ebay and it seems like the cheaper listings usually has something along the lines of "I dont know if parts are missing or not" which worries me.

im not a HUGE wow fan but i did used to play it years ago and I do remember hearing the board game itself is actually kinda fun.
>>
>>66247941
I think most reviewers are alright if you know their quirks and taste as long as they are able to articulate why they like/dislike something.
Eg. I'll know to not trust cuck up and sit down's opinion on heavier euros or rhado's ability to judge what a complex game is.
With that said, it's hard to watch new reviewers as you don't know their quirks, preferences etc.

Liked undead viking, but as another anon said, turns out he literally is a paid KS shill.
>>
>>66249626
That 5 minutes of Kingdomino is better than the best 5 minutes of Carcassonne.
>>
>>66247941
Undead Viking is beyond useless, and Calandale takes ten times as long as is reasonable to get to any useful conclusion. Marcowargamer is usually pretty good though, if I can power through whatever ridiculous thing he's doing with his hair/face this month.

>>66248095
>Rating me anywhere near actual good reviewers
Lewd as fuck, anon.
The rest of those are all really solid in my book, though I frequently want to 1v1 IRL Barnes.
>>
>>66247826
>>66248018
Sadly, from the 1970's through the mid 1990's Avalon Hill did a butt-load of classic 'hex & chit' war games along with a lot of other games. Unfortunately they're just a shadow of their former glory days since Hasbro bought them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Avalon_Hill_games

Another classic company was SPI.(Simulation Publications, Inc.) that did a ton of games in the 1970's and early 80's too. They got ganked by TSR.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simulations_Publications,_Inc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SPI_games

These are the kinds of things you find on Ebay or BGG's Geek Bazaar. And there is a web site with Vassel mods, check out:

https://www.spigames.net/

If you want current stuff look at GMT Games as this Anon >>66248118 suggested or check out MMP (Multi-Man Publishing) as they're the 'current' source of a many of the better known 'Hex & Chit' style war games.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/
>>
>>66247941
1. Board Game Replay
2. DriveThruGames
3. Heavy Cardboard
4. Jon Gets Games
5. Zee Garcia (for fun)

I hate Undead Viking and Unfiltered Gamer. They are totally useless and is shilling everything their paid for. Feels like they are unable to utter a single honest opinion.
>>
>>66243632
I played 3 player, none of us had played before. I won and we only played once, but here are my thoughts:
Damn I actually liked it and would like to play it more to make sure. I thought the theme worked really well, and they incorporated things about the birds that suited the birds quite well. I really liked how you got less action turns each round as you got stronger.
Some of the bird actions got too repetitive though.
>>
>>66251943
Thanks!
>>
>>66248095
>>66252501
>Board Game Replay

Funny that there should be 3 people in here that actually watch these when they only have 3k views.

Though I wouldn't call them reviewers.

Also, I think Tom Vasel of the dice tower is a good reviewer. He has his tastes, but he does a good job of showing how games function. All the lists where he and his friends are around are unbearable because of that bald guy though.
>>
>>66242544
>the promised John Company reprint
What? When? Where do I find this?

>I wonder if and to what extent the current US-China spat will affect the promised John Company reprint
How? Cole is american. It's not like they are going to have to ship cardboard and dice from China.
>>
File: anomie.png (515 KB, 680x383)
515 KB
515 KB PNG
>escape plan is designed in my country
>in the next city over
>i can't afford to buy it
>>
>>66252949
Sounds like you need an escape plan lol
>>
>>66252916
>What? When? Where do I find this?
From Cole's twitter:

For John Company, there are a couple of different development/release timelines that depend a lot on how Pamir is received and how busy the rest of the year shakes out. Hopefully we'll have a good sense of that by the end of the summer.

This edition will be a considerably less dramatic redevelopment than Pamir 1e/2e. Our hope it to offer some kind of upgrade pack and make it so folks with the first printing of John Company can play with the updated rules.

In addition to some cosmetic and usability improvements, the priority is to slightly expand the game's economic sandbox in a way that is close to rules-neutral. And, of course, I want to take the three advanced scenarios through another round of development.

This choice is mostly informed by the peculiarities of John Company. I want to tune up the freewheeling negotiations and give players more ways to leverage each other. As with Pamir2, the hope is to make the game more of itself. The new edition will remain a long, curious game.

Lastly, I should say that this is a slow process. Drew and I work mostly on Sunday mornings and a couple evenings each week and we like it that way. Don't expect a bunch of design diaries and images to start flooding BGG anytime soon. We are probably a year out or more.

>How?
He actually had this to say about it after I posted that:

Re: Tariffs. They will hurt and may cause for some price adjustment to John Company but it will be small. Drew and I's business model relies on something like 90% direct sales we have space to absorb this without too many issues.
>>
>>66210783
Any WW2 grand Strategy (the whole world, possibly split up over several maps) games that aren't super complex/take too long, I was looking at GMT's Cataclysm, but are there others?
>>
>>66253292
I'm only aware of Triumph & Tragedy which would fulfill not being too complex or long, however it also doesn't encompass the whole world. Afaik the T&T designer is currently working on a Japan/USA/USSR theatre game with the same system that can be linked with T&T, but it's probably far off.
>>
What are the best unofficial Sherlock Holmes' modules?
I saw lots of them being listed on bgg, but few of them are actually popular.
>>
>>66253194
ty
>>
Reviewer (letsplayer) worth mentioning is Ricky Royal; he and calandale have some great insight to offer and high unintentional ASMR value.
>>
>>66253194
Cole Jewrle strikes again; only Splotter guys are bigger kikes.
>>
>>66253292
If you want something shorter, there's always Quartermaster General.
>>
>>66253292
Take a look at Quartermaster General - it might fit your bill.
>>
>>66254473
Damnit! I didn't see yours before I refreshed. Doh!
>>
File: tpo31aw05hu21.jpg (1 MB, 1730x1392)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>66254683
Just means your in good company being based with tastes
>>
Great moments in board gaming history!

Smithsonian Acquires Trap Card Used by Aaron Burr to Defeat Hamilton in Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel

https://thehardtimes.net/harddrive/smithsonian-acquires-trap-card-used-by-aaron-burr-to-defeat-hamilton-in-yu-gi-oh-duel/
>>
File: burr-1024x538.jpg (195 KB, 1024x538)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
>>66255836
>Not posting the pic headlining the article
C'mon anon, step it up

>curator Heather Milgrom, who helped to design the new exhibition featuring the holographic “Ultra Rare Mirror Force” that Burr used to destroy Hamilton’s “Black Luster Soldier,” drop his life points to zero, and banish him to the Shadow Realm. The card was discovered within a binder at a yard sale held by a descendant of the Vice President and purchased for an undisclosed sum.
>>
File: 1459689508120.jpg (87 KB, 620x592)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
mfw the DMC kickstarter wont make enough money to help SFG with their other projects which will just add more delays on everything when their teams are spread thinner and thinner.

I really hope SFG just kicks the bucket soon
They dont have any good game designers, artistic designers, concept artists, production partners, customer service or anything at all.
>>
What makes a co-op good or bad?
>>
>>66261066
That's not a simple 'short answer' type of question. An awful lot of different game design elements come into play.
>>
File: kirbno.jpg (71 KB, 1080x952)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>66261066
>>
>>66261066
I think a good co op is one that can't just be soloed
>>
Does anyone know any good Mecha rpgs?
>>
>>66261867
Why?
>>
>>66261923
>Does anyone know any good Mecha rpgs?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zFc57wN7noNauUzpeNB5Wr1vxSNMwG83eTCmeQVMP4g/edit
>>
>>66261066

Bad co-op is pandemic.

Good co-op is Too Many Bones.

To break it down for you, bad co-op is a game that, even if you play perfect you will lose because of the inherent mechanics of the win condition are random and can be literally unwinnable no matter the choices you make.

A good co-op game is a game that WILL crush you if you don't plan, utilize dynamic playstyles, and gives each player the chance to shine in various ways throughout the game but the chance that you can lose is always dancing on a knife's edge.

Aeon's End is another great co-op game.
>>
>>66254273
Ricky Royal will put you to sleep quick.

But he and I both list Hoplomachus as one of our favorite games of all time.
>>
>>66261066
The same thing that makes a normal game good or bad:
Each player should feel like they're adding and/or gaining something from the process of playing.

This simple principle derives several other ones:
-A good Co-op game is one where one player cannot make all the decisions for the group, because otherwise not all players are contributing.
-A Good Co-op has manageable randomness, or the randomized effects are not too oppressive. (Since otherwise, the player contributions will suffer or feel useless, given the lack of input they had in the outcome.)
-Choices should be interesting and/or multifacted, in order to facilitate the feeling of player input.

And so on.
>>
>>66262469
I like your original statement but think your thesis is a little short. Too Many Bones is more random than Pandemic if anything, it's not really about the chaos factor of victory. The difference is just players have individual agency.

Pandemic gives all players a stupidly easy set of universal mechanics, and then railroad them into what to do by giving them a special power that tells them what of those mechanics to do. In the end they have the whole world to look at, but everyone knows what they have to do which if they don't come to that conclusion themselves, then they'll likely be quarterbacked into it. Occasionally you'll get a fork, but not often and your job remains the same.

Half of Too Many Bones is deciding what you want to specialize in and how far, and even once all that is said and done, you still have decisions for days to make in how to accomplish that with the list of abilities. It ripples into you still having done something even on the turns where it boils down to roll all your attack dice at the enemy.

There's a time and place for Pandemic, it's great with people who only want to half play for that reason, new or kinda just passive gamers, but it honestly doesn't really give you much to think about and makes it a very poor game for the experienced.
>>
Pandemic Iberia is a good game, fight me.
>>
>>66266344
>Buddies and I spend half the game building railroads
>Only due the bare minimum to not lose in order to have more actions to build more railroad
>None of us ever even pull the railway guy role
>Still win cause by the time shit really hits the fan we have the best damn railroad in europe that takes us exactly where we need to go
It's fun.
I also like Rome even if I think the battle dice make it a worse game overall.
>>
>>66266344
Pandemic Iberia is the best Pandemic.
>>
>>66266344
>>66266440
Never played it tbqh, but it seems like a good version of a bad game isn't necessarily good. See Pandemic Legacy, which I find to be insanely overhyped. Yes, it's a pretty good version of pandemic. But it's still pandemic.
>>
Is there a throve with 2nd edition Siege of the Citadel? I am looking for a Kickstarter backers files not included in Dark Legion pledge = things like Hero Deck, Collectors edition rulebook, Mission Generator, Cardinal Durand, Tsarina, Imperial Regia, Major Tang, Sean D'armatto missions/rules/cards. Thanks!
>>
>>66266875
Besides the vanilla version, I've only played Pandemic Fall of Rome.

Rome didn't feel like Pandemic to me; it's a lot more predictable and revolves around moving army tokens and building forts. Feels almost like a wargame, to be honest.

>>66264894
>-A good Co-op game is one where one player cannot make all the decisions for the group, because otherwise not all players are contributing.
False. This is a player problem, not a game problem.

Too many people think coops are just "half-games", activities for those who can't handle a real game but still want to sit around the table and do some game-related activity.

Well, these people are wrong and dumb. Coops require certain social/psychological skills to be played, they are definitely not for everyone and can be more demanding than simple competitive games.

If you can't handle a coop, then do something else.
>>
>>66262182
Not very cooperative if you can do it alone
>>
>>66267709
Every solo game is also a coop game, and vice-versa.
>>
>>66267753
The first part of your statement it's true, but there are many co-op games that relies on different players having partial informations about the game state and limited ways to communicate them to others (Hanabi, The Grizzled)
>>
>>66267709
Just because it's soloable doesn't mean it doesn't require input from all players at higher player counts. One does not exclude the other.

I'd also like to know what coops out there aren't soloable. All of my favorite coops- Arkham Horror LCG, Aeon's End, Ghost Stories- have solo modes and can be played "multi-handed" solo as well.
>>
Everyone is asleep, so migrate whenever
>>66268275
>>
>>66268271
The Mind, it's shit tho

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.