[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: bullywug_5eg.jpg (18 KB, 254x300)
18 KB
18 KB JPG
Bullywug Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA-Artificer-2019.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: >>65724635

How much bugs could a bullywug hug if a bullywug could hug bugs?
>>
>Years of no rpg
>Decide to join local gaming club to scratch the itch
>Get in contact with 5e dm currently running a campaign
>"Yeah anon you can join our D&D campaign"
>Turns out is actually some homebrew inbred abort child of AD&D that is being "developed" since fifteen years
>Setting have elves coming from space, proxy Jesus, and a fucking 150 pages PDF listing all the cities and areas in the world in a dislay of blandness and autism I never witnessed before
>Obviously no index
>Every class and race is pulled straight from TSR settings, literally the slightly different sized humans carnival
>You have skill and weapon mastery exp that are calculated separately from character exp, and you have to write down the exp gained after every action
>Character background is rolled randomly on a plethora of tables with zero reference- only the dm can understand them. He took four hours to make my character because he didn't remember how his system works
>But there is no rule for using a one handed sword with two hands or having a npc
>That would be clunky
What the holy fuck I got myself into
>>
>>65729892
>Bullywug
That always sounds like a music genre to me. Like Boogie Woogie.
>>
>>65729892
A bullywug would hug as many bug as a bullywug could hug if a bullywug could hug bugs.
>>
>>65729937
That's not 5e at this point. That's not even DnD.
>>
>>65729818
Anything involving magica summons, arcane bindings, and magical automatons like Helmed Horrors and Golems and stuff.

>>65729882
Reposting my own question.
>>
>>65729937
Sounds like someone's fantasy heartbreaker.
>No Index
Fucking burn it
>>
I fucking hate swamps
>>
>>65729985
Magic missile. No rolling to hit, just straight damage. Flying targets usually are low-ish on HP but high on AC.
>>
>>65729994
How come anon?
>>
What is a coffelock?
>>
If a weapon is described as holy should it have built in radiant damage ?
>>
>>65729985
If it's not magically flying, knocking it prone or unconscious makes it fall.
>>65730017
A warlock/sorcerer multiclass that never takes a long rest.
>>
>>65730017
A lock to avoid coffee stealers
>>
File: avengers_desposito.jpg (90 KB, 780x439)
90 KB
90 KB JPG
>>65729994
>>
>>65730023
I would say no. I have had holy weapons be like, +2 against undead or fiends, no need for radiant damage.
It is nice though for things like vamps.
>>
>>65730017
Warlock/Sorcerer multiclass where you spend pact slots to convert into sorcery points, to then convert into proper spell slots. The idea is you can get by on never long resting (Even thought RAW actually states insomnia will kill you through exhaustion levels).
>>
>>65730053
Wait, is that legal?! Can you convert pact magic into sourcery points?!
>>
>>65730068
Yes, nothing prevents this RAW.
>>
>>65730023
Radiant damage is just lasers, light, and other EM waves. Holy weapons don't have to do those sorts of things.
>>
File: Boogie_cover.jpg (22 KB, 214x300)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>65729938
>sounds like a music genre to me
I always think of this
>>
Okay, for the last time.
> Flail Snail.
>>
>>65730085
Is it good? That's like, 2 sourcery points per short rest.
>>
>>65730089
What about them?
>>
File: JMbWyqM.jpg (55 KB, 524x700)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Are there playable Giant-kin in 5e?
>>
File: dendy_kappa.jpg (81 KB, 567x462)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
do kappas count as bullywugs?
>>
>>65730116
Until you level up Warlock. Remember that they get up to 5th level in their pact slots.
>>
>>65730157
> Flail.
> Snail.
>>
File: sssempai.jpg (15 KB, 320x180)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>65730165
goliaths and firbolg
>>
For a character that only uses trident, at what level can I give him an upgrade? Alo whats better for upgrade, +attack or extra damage die?
>>
>>65730165
Firbolg and Goliath
>>
>>65730173
So it's sorc1/warlock x? And you're gonna cheese the game by quickening Eldritch blast? Is that what this class is all about?
>>
I like fisticuffs and magic fighting styles. Would it be too wild to flavour warlock blade pact boon as a body enhancement instead of a magical weapon? I know I could just play monk but I like the idea of perfecting your body through magic too.
>>
>>65730179
Sure are.
>>
>>65730179
A snail that flails?
>>
>>65730226
Ki is magic.
>>
>>65730233
Or a flail that snails?
>>
>>65730226
I don't see why not if the player is clearly just doing it for flavor
Just promise you won't abuse it with multiclass shanenigans
>>
>>65730221
Has to be at least Sorc2, because that's when you get Sorc points. You can't hold sorc points above your sorc point max, so you need to put a few more levels into sorc to get the most out of it.

It can be about quickening blast, I've seen it played that way, but it can also be bladelock spamming Eldritch Smites.
>>
>>65730246
Yeah but it's honorable magic from your own self. I wanna be edgy and leech off my sugar daddy's magic dick.
>>
>>65729994
>*laughs in Miyazaki*
>>
>>65730268
>Prone damage on sea might be too much
Average of 4d6 is 14 damage, looking at ~50% chance to save most uses, so brings the average down.
Buffed Desert aura is flat 10 at 20th. And it's AoE, Sea is single target.
Sea needs something to keep ahead of Desert.
>>
File: 1400417766943.jpg (331 KB, 976x990)
331 KB
331 KB JPG
Has anyone done a fix for the Wild Sorcerer?
>>
>>65730267
I was considering that holding the magic in a fist was basically the same as wielding a weapon for the sake of keeping the mechanics identical.
>>
>>65730340
I made this one a while back.
>>
>>65730340
make it a roll instead of arbitrary DM choice
>>
File: img.jpg (33 KB, 412x243)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>65730017
>>65730053
>>
>>65730443
the tome invocation negates your need to sleep
>>
> Level 10 party.
> High stake battle against villain.
> Enemy mage is able to forcecage barbarian in a 10 ft box.
> Wizard tries to counterspell. Rolls for it, but fail.
> Barbarian is locked inside a box.
> We can't dispel the box.
> We don't have disintegrate to try to destoy it.
> No one has dimensional door prepared to jump in and try to get the fighter out (and to be honest, that's an awfull strategy, because the caster would probably be stuck there with him).
> There is no concentration. Straight 1 hour duration.
> Proceeds to play 14 rounds of an epic battle with one of the players being stuck ina box unable to play.

Holy shit, I mean, this spell is raw, it's in the manual, and an evil villain could use it... But that was the most unfun and cringeworth experience I've ever had in a table. And I wasn't the barbarian!
>>
>>65730494
errata specifies that you still have to long rest, you just don't need to sleep while doing so
>>
>>65730443
>implying 99% or more groups use non-PHB rules
>implying 98% or more groups even use PHB rules
>>
>>65730443
yeah so you can "only" do it 24 times before you need to cast a Greater Restoration
>>
>>65730497
terrible DMing. LITERALLY anti-fun.
>>
>>65730511
no it doesn't
>>
>>65729892
Players are currently in a swamp and about to be heading towards a Bullywug camp, they're 5th level so Bullywugs and Giant Toads aren't a massive threat anymore, aside from the Froghemoth they're worshipping are there any other frog/toad things I can throw in to spice up encounters?
>>
File: 1555185291948.jpg (24 KB, 490x287)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>session last sunday was canceled so everyone could watch game of thrones.
>>
>>65730568
I think he regreated his decision latter. He himself didn't understood the power of that spell.
>>
>>65730593
the rule pictured above literally says the con saves against exhaustion are triggered by not taking a long rest, not by not sleeping. the fact you don't have to sleep doesn't change anything
>>
>>65730494
Specifically the Aspect of the Moon feature, yes.

>>65730511
I had a coffeelock in my group for a while, and we ruled that out since it was errata. The rest of the group still took long rests, but he'd just read books, study magic stuff, and go to seedy meetings with possibly nefarious cultists during the dead of night to discuss the finer Eldritch things in life. It was fun until we woke up one time and he was missing, so we had to go on a wild goose chase to track him down where he'd gotten in too deep with a cult (that the rest of our characters had never even heard of). He died in front of us during a ritual sacrifice. The shit people get into when they get a few minutes of solo time with the DM is amazing sometimes.
>>
>>65729985
Any effect that knocks them prone or restrains them, such as Arrows of Wholloping, A Battlemasters Tripping strike, spells like Restraining Strike or effects like a Giant Spiders web attack causes an airborn creature to immediately fall and take fall damage.
>>
File: 5c59e77ceb3ce80d46564023.png (1.56 MB, 1500x1125)
1.56 MB
1.56 MB PNG
>>65730603
>be my group in previous session
>move into a swampside slum
>fish in swamp
>I cook swamp fish
>we take row boat through swamp
>we eat swamp fish
>mfw we are now swamp people
>>
>>65730497
Mental note: Never use force cage against PCs without providing an easy way out.
>>
>>65730603
Grung slavers

Trying to sell a frog statue to a frog tribe with no common language
>>
>>65730565
unless you make the save, then you get another free 24 uses, and it might not even end there!
>>
>>65730497
If a spell isnt conc,does the effect disappear when the mage dies?
>>
>>65730786
Nops. Only when the spell ends or is dispelled.
>>
>>65729937
>>65729970
Sounds like Final Fantasy 2 or some shit, with grinding for each stat. That's stupid as fuck.
>>
>>65730443
warforged coffeelock
>>
>>65729937
>150 pages PDF
Post it
>>
>>65730689
My party has yet to eat swamp fish, they just drank swamp Moonshine, distilled with real Slugs and snails!
>>65730719
I'd thought about Grung, but them being tropical felt like they'd be out of place, but a slaver/trader group visiting the Bullywug "City" would be an interesting encounter.
>>
>>65730863
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>eberron
does work though
>>
>>65730940
We're all ogres now
>>
>>65729937
Post the pdf, or DIE IN HELL!!!
>>
I get that many players enjoy uncovering conspiracy and scandal, but why are so many big cities in D&D full of corruption and secret evil?
Share some ideas you guys have for more good, noblebright-type cities.
>>
>>65730340
When I had one at my table we rolled with every leveled spell and did it like a countdown. So first spell needs a 20 to surge, second spell 19-20 and so on until a surge happens, then it resets back to 20.
>>
>>65730981
>why do players like conflict in their stories?
>>
>>65730981
you ever been in a city?
>>
>>65730981
> Why are big cities full of corruption and secret evil.
Buddy, do you read the news?
>>
>>65731003
Conflict is great and necessary, but when it's in an urban environment it can be more than just power grabs and manipulation of the people or whatever.
I'm trying to develop a theocratic nation right now and it's bizarre how many people think that in a fantasy world where gods are very much proven and powerful, theocratic rule still has to mean cult-like hierarchy and oppression of the people.
>>
If a bear totem barbarian takes 1 damage, and thats supossed to be halved,and halving numbers is accompanied by rounding down RAW, does that mean he takes 0 damage?
If a barbarian takes damage but negates it entirely through bear totem 3 or stone's endurance,does it prolong his rage?
>>
>>65731039
I'd argue the damage reduction is rounded down by 1, not the damage, so you'd take 1 damage
>>
>>65730981
Have you ever visited New York?
>>
>>65731039
I believe if you are damaged in any way and you do not have total immunity the damage must be a minimum of 1 damage.
>>
>>65731039
yes.
>>65731063
no that's not how resistance works
>>
>>65731090
oh really? which page says that
>>
File: 1555219721220.jpg (24 KB, 291x290)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
lads why is the Hunter's Whirlwind so shitty?
it's like Volley but worse in almost every conceivable way
>>
>>65731096
It doesn't; it doesn't say the opposite either. Everything just works better if you place a minimum of 1 damage.
>>
>>65730981
>my city is basically the largest small town
>even they have a fucking racket going on with this bullet train bullshit
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (17 KB, 480x360)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>65731135
>>
>>65730981
Because the Rogue is gonna be bored to tears if we tell him there's no crime in the city when he goes looking for the seedy underbelly. We actually did this once in a town that had been set up by a mass-mind-controlling wizard to get captured adventurers to raid a tomb for him. No crime because all the enthralled adventurers just worked all day. The rogue still went and stole crap during our long rests though.

A good noble-bright city can still have crime, and is arguably better off for having it. Rather that have the upper echelon be corrupt, however, they are the force of Law and Good while the "rebels" or whatever are legitimately evil people with evil goals. The king is good, the prince is good, the police/guards are good, and the common people legitimately want those rulers in place. Easy to do, but in my experience most players will spend literally the entire campaign cross-examining the good characters and eyeing them suspiciously because the archetype of the corrupt ruler is so extremely common.
>>
>>65731063
>>65731090
>>65731093

>everyone jumps on the damage part and no one jumps on the rage part

Please
>>
>>65731113
It's flavor over function so you, too, can be Link from Zelda and do a spin attack.
>>
>>65730981
Wherever there's a concentration of people, there will always be a concentration of assholes too.

Cities need people to run it, so some will be attracted to the power and money, and attempt to climb that political ladder whether by literal or metaphorical backstabbing. Cults and other unsavory organizations will recruit there. Rich people live there, thieves will follow, etc.

>>65731038
You can attempt to make a good theocratic nation but they'll still be somewhat oppressive by nature (like requiring certain traditions or holidays, forbidding others that can be seen as blasphemous). Citizens will be expected to follow not only the laws laid by the city, but the laws laid in the name of whichever god.

And because you have a city like that where people religiously follow the rulers, someone can attempt to climb that political ladder to rule by attempting to fool the people. In order to combat that then you'd need something like a secret police or inquisition.

No matter what there'll always be some shady shit. And if there's no shady shit, it'll be too good to be true.
>>
>>65731183
Rage calms if you end your turn having not taken damage since last turn. This is assuming the barbarian also hasn't attempted to attack, so this is relevant.
>>
>>65731176
>We actually did this once in a town that had been set up by a mass-mind-controlling wizard
And the players just bitch that that's not how real towns are instead of seeing the plot hook.
>>
So my cleric wants to behead and/or shame the party rogue.
Sides are being picked in the party and I’m not sure if I should let this play out naturally or have them fight the Drow slaving party that’s been stalking them for the past 6 sessions.
Wat do?
>>
How's this as a cantrip?
>You magically propel an arrow or other piece of ammunition at an enemy. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier damage. Bonuses from magic ammunition also apply. You may fire additional ammunition at higher levels: two at 5th level, three at 11th level, and four at 17th level. You can target the same creature or different ones. Make seperate attack rolls for each piece of ammunition.
>>
>>65731212
Yes but is damage still damage for the sake of prolonging rage if you resist it?
>>
>>65731039
>If a barbarian takes damage but negates it entirely through bear totem 3 or stone's endurance,does it prolong his rage?
I don't see what bear totem 3 has to do with damage reduction, but the rage would stay up with Stone's Endurance. The rules for SE say "when you take damage" and then it activates, so you fulfill the requirement of taking damage to keep the rage going without attacking something.
>>
>>65731241
Did you purposefully make it way stronger than every single other cantrip.
>>
>>65731240
Is the rogue a randumb chaotic neutral borderline suicidal kleptomaniac degenerate thief? If so, he deserves it, both in and out of character
>>
>>65731285
did you purposefully forget the existence of eldritch blast?
>>
>>65731301
Eldritch blast requires a specific class and class feature to be better than this, and you didn't mention which class spell list this was on.
>>
>>65731231
lmao that is literally what happened.
>I try to find the criminal shit and do... criminal shit.
>You try to look for thief markings and the tell-tale signs of crime, but you're unable to find any at all.
>What? That's bullshit! Every town has crime.
>Maybe there's a reason this one doesn't...
>Stupid town with no crime. Alright then, I'm just gonna go to that wizard's library and steal back that shield we gave him.
And he actually did it. My character later gave the shield back to the wizard after the Rogue gave him a friendly tip that he saw it for sale at the magic item shop.
>>
>>65731328
sorcerer, AKA I'm going to have eldritch blast anyways
I want something that has more flavor than eldritch blast and a reason not to turn every sorcerer into a sorlock
considering it needs ammo and is only on par with eldritch blast with at least +1 ammo AND can't get all the utility stacking that EB has, I think it would be fine
>>
>>65731241
Way too powerful. It's also just a way stronger version of Magic Stone, so it's really not even original. Compare your spell with it to get an idea of how stupidly overpowered your spell is.
>>
Running Curse of Strahd for the first time. Any tips? What's the best way of leveling up my players?
>>
Fanart of Dragonborn without tail are rare.
>>
>>65731275
>I don't see what bear totem 3 has to do with damage reduction
Not too much but it does broaden the chance, let me rephrase
If you are a raging barbarian and take 1 damage, which is of a damage type that will be halved, does it become 0,and does that event prolong rage?
>>
>>65731292
Rogues been slowly descending to chaotic evil by praying to the dark gods and shit. Not all that randumb and he’s really good at getting the others to actually start talking and doing shit instead of freezing up.
>>
>>65731192
but why can't it also function? why can't it say "within your reach" instead of 5 feet? it can't even work with halberds man that's dumb
>>
>>65731241
overly powerful and you forgot to either specify a damage type or confirm that the damage type is that of the ammunition used. adding your modifier to cantrip damage is no joke - you just made a cantrip that's stronger than any unaltered cantrip in the game and nearly as strong as eldritch blast with agonising blast tacked on. if this is on the cleric list, wizard list and therefore accesible to arcana clerics, or an evocation spell you also have to consider how OP it'd get with empowered evocation or potent spellcasting. oh or artillerist's wand prototype
>>
>>65731369
>sorcerer, AKA I'm going to have eldritch blast anyways
Even if you're doing sorlock bullshit at least you have to sacrifice a level in another class for the cantrip.
Here's a tip: Is a homebrew cantrip better than firebolt? Then it's too strong.
>>
>>65731369
sorcs don't get eldritch blast you dingus, and even if they did they don't get agonising blast so it's nowhere near as strong as this
>>
>>65731431
you lose very little from taking 2 levels in warlock as sorcerer and gain a lot, including eldritch blast and 2 invocations
>>65731410
>>65731414
fine, what if it was 1d6?
>>
>>65731369
Warlocks get Eldritch Blast because they are designed to hold up with short rests like Fighters. Sorcerers get way more spell slots and their sorcery points because they are designed to have more damage and utility that requires long rests. If they have super-strong cantrips, they make Warlocks superfluous.

Fire Bolt, Poison Spray, Ray of Frost, and Chill Touch are all great damage cantrips that sorcerers can use that also scale with level.
>>
How the hell do you guys build a city for an urban campaign? I'm trying to make a government that isn't just medieval europe and I have no idea what to do
>>
>>65731447
1d6+cha is still stronger than firebolt
If your issue is legitimately flavor and you're not just trying to power game, then just ask your DM to reflavor it man.
>>
File: WildMagic.jpg (1 MB, 2550x3300)
1 MB
1 MB JPG
>>65730017
Sorcerer Warlock (And Paladin) Multiclass.

Warlock Invocation to never need to sleep or eat.
Sorcerer ability to turn Pact-Spell-Slots into Sorcery points.
Sorcerer ability to turn Sorcery points into Spell-Slots that last until you take a Long rest.
Take a short rest.
Recover Pact-Slots slots.
Turn Pact-Slots into Sorcery points into Spell-Slots.
Take a short rest.
Never take a Long rest. Take a week of Downtime.
Have 50,000 spell slots of your highest spell level.
Can spend spell slots to cast 5th level powerful spells sorcerer magic.
Can spend spell slots to cast 5th level healing spells with Paladin magic.
Can spend spell slots to deliver 6d8 smites on EVERY attack with Paladin magic.
Can spend spell slots on sorcery points to Quicken-Empower-Twin every spell you cast.

Countered by the ruling that even if you don't need to sleep or eat, you still need long periods of rest to recover, which consumes stockpiled spell slots. But this ruling can be countered at the expense of 100gp per day to cast Greater Restoration, considering the lack of things to spend money on this is kinda viable. I mean if the GM is letting you go this far with it, he will let you go to Ye-Old-Diamond-Dust-Store.

>>65730340
I've used this and found it to be a great fix. No more "LOLRANDUM" or "Whoops u fireball the party XDDD" or "YOU TURN BLU!" shit and more unstable magic effects. The rest relies on how generous your GM is with returning your Tides of Chaos.
>>
>>65731369
>needs ammo literally who cares? ammo is cheap and light
>only on par with eldritch blast with at least +1 ammo
utterly wrong, do you think EB comes with agonising blast as standard? it's the strongest cantrip with that as a cost - to use it at full strength you need at least two levels of an otherwise fairly weak class and to blow one of your invocations on it
>>
>>65731485
fine, what if it was 1d4?
>>
>>65731241
Why not flavour it like Greenflame Blade effects?

As part of this spell a ranged attack, if it hits, do X.
>>
>>65731485
if I was trying to powergame I would just take eldritch blast
>>65731492
like I said, sorcerer doesn't miss two levels that much, I wouldn't say getting the strongest cantrip in the game is "blowing" an invocation, and you still have another one to use
>>
>>65731241
Make it 1d8 flat. The ability to use +X ammunition is enough of an upside by itself.
>>
>>65731389
Ah, you might need to reread the totem feature. I think you missed the part where it says hostile creatures have disadvantage against "targets other than you or another character with this feature". It's designed for helping allies, not the barbarian. I play barb all the time so that stood out to me as something you might've missed.

That being said, the rage would indeed still occur. You "take damage" any time a damage roll is made. So if for some reason the roll gets modified down to zero, you still "took damage". You just took a quantity of "zero" damage. Think of it like your barbarian being pissed that someone tried to hit him, even if they are too puny and weak to pierce his beefy hide.
>>
>>65731468
Use a random generator, roll on a table, or just make arbitrary decisions based on the cities needs on a decade by decade basis.
>>
>>65731518
do you mean as part of a weapon attack? I want it to be using magic to throw an arrow specifically
>>
>>65731447
>you lose very little from delaying your spell progression by 2 levels on arguably already the worst full caster for the sake of a better cantrip
and really you're only gaining one invocation seeing as the other one is taken up by agonizing blast.
>>
>>65731557
Sounds too similar to Catapult as a 1st level spell.
>>
So in a featless game, the purpose of crossbows is to be what, the common mans weapon?
>>
>>65731543
Dude you're thinking of wolf or some shit.,I'm talking about bear, lvl 3, it broadens the rage resistance from slash pierce and bludgeoning to all elements except psycic
>>
>>65731520
>if I was trying to powergame I would just take eldritch blast
this is just eldritch blast with agonizing -1 damage that you don't have to dip for, it's overall a way better option and definitely more powergamey than having to set yourself back and make a goofy charater development choice to justify a cantrip.
>>
>>65731640
Rogues
>>
>>65731640
better if you don't have extra attack and on more people's proficiency lists
>>
>>65731642
Oh, level 3. I thought you might have meant the 3rd bear totem power that you get at level 14. My bad, dude. Those additional damage type resistances work the same as the normal bludgeoning one, so you're still good to keep raging if you take 1 fire damage or something.
>>
>>65731678
Rogues only get light and hand though right?
>>
Is there an option CoS to be Strahds successor?
>>
>>65731640
Why does crossbow damage scale of dex? You're literally pulling a trigger,no dex involved

Fucking annoying that crossbows are historically str weapons before tools to circumvent the heavy loading mechanism were made common, yet its been added to the already overpowered dex stat
>>
>>65731693
Which limits it to rogues then pretty much
>>
>>65731700
Yeah. A light crossbow is a WHOOPING +1 average damage over a shortbow.
>>
>>65731730
Where is the strength involved in pulling a trigger? Reloading is not part of the act of aiming at a target and pulling the trigger
>>
>>65731730
Because its still firing a ranged attack that is influenced more by precision and good aim rather than the amount of force your body as a whole can output
>>
>>65731379
I thought dragonborns aren't supposed to have tails.
>>
why the fuck are wizards and sorcerors proficient in the crossbow. just makes no sense.
>>
>>65731753
Meh, die size only feels noticeable when you're making 3+ swings a round anyway though. Paladin and rogue are pretty weapon die independant imo.
>>
>>65731781
Only since 4e.
>>
>>65731781
Exactly. No one remembers this point though
>>
>>65731762
Fair point, a crossbow should have a minimum str requirement

>>65731777
The game doesn't factor in things like headshots or limb damage so I don't really know where you're getting at
>>
>>65731730
Same could be said of bows. Moreso even, since bows require you to hold back the string continuously while aiming. In either case, the designers decided the precision required for aiming was more relevant than the strength required for drawing/loading, so they represented that with making them scale off DEX.
>>
>>65731786
just in case they get stuck without any magic
>>
>>65731786
Hold over from ye olden days when cantrips were nonexistent for battle purposes I suppose? In theory id imagine a light crossbow is a much easier weapon to use than a regular bow, short or long
>>
>>65731803
It's sort of a "might as well" thing. Like using a rapier instead of a shortsword.
>>
>Bahamut's worshipers and clergy had no formal rituals or ceremonies. Those who followed the Platinum Dragon believed in the philosophy of "praying through their deeds". The only activity that was considered as something like a ritual was the Rite of Rebirth, the magical process by which non-dragon humanoids transformed themselves into dragonborn.
DMs, would you allow one of your players to do this if they wanted to? How would you handle it?
>>
>>65731786
So they won't be completely useless if they're away from their component pouch, arcane focus, spellbook, etc. Or if they're silenced.
>>
>>65731833
Bow attack bonus should be dex,damage bonus should be str

Prove me wrong
>>
>>65731739
There are lots of clerics that get proficiency with martial weapons and Pact of the Blade warlocks are proficient with their bonded weapon. The warlock has to also take the Improved Pact Weapon invocation from XGE to use a ranged weapon for the pact weapon though.

Also, you can still use a crossbow for an Action and an attack on Bonus Action, if you are allowed a weapon attack on a Bonus Action. This applies to War domain Clerics that have their War Priest feature available.
>>
>>65731829
Then a bow should have a minimum str requirement for drawing the string
>>
>>65731859
>>65731841
yes, but they already have darts and slings for that. crossbow just seems like something slightly out of the scope of what a wizard or sorceror would reasonably know how to use. and even if you say, oh, well, light crossbows are easy, then why are they not also proficient in shortbows?
>>
>>65731829
>The game doesn't factor in things like headshots or limb damage so I don't really know where you're getting at

Combat is an abstraction true but I think theres still some room to interpret the difference between a 10 dex and 20 dex archer landing a shot as the latter being able to pinpoint gaps in armor or something to explain the 5 extra damage per shot hes getting over the 10 dex guy
>>
>>65731867
Isnt that how it used to be in 2E anyway?
>>
>>65731885
Dude, have you tried shooting a bow? crossbows are infinitely easier because you literally just have to press a trigger. Archery requires an actual good form and strength.
>>
>>65731910
2e also had other retarded garbage like Mighty Composite Longbows that required 18 strength to use and did 1d6+3 damage before attribute mods
>>
>>65731867
A minimum strength requirement is a better representation, but it's a waste of time either way.
>>
>>65731786
Crossbows are actually designed to be easy to use with no special training. You can also crank them to create the tension so you don't need to be very strong to load them. Here's a video of an old guy that looks somewhat wizardly using a crossbow. Skip to 5:20 to watch him actually crank, load, and shoot it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMoL_SBD6gw
>>
>>65731869
>There are lots of clerics that get proficiency with martial weapons
I figured that unless those domains also give some sort of psuedo extra attack as well theyd just go with cantrips for damage instead. I see your point though. The thing about still being able to bonus action shoot with a crossbow by default is news to me though
>>
>>65731867
you can say that about any weapon surely; if dex is accuracy then even a greatsword should need it - you're doing no damage if you swing wide really hard. the exception to this is the crossbow, amusingly since that's how this started, which should probably have a STR requirement to load but beyond that threshold it's not like how strong the person loading it was will affect the damage.

or you could just accept that combat in d&d is an abstraction based around fun and simplicity, and realistically there's an argument to be made for using most stats for most tasks but that's boring, time consuming and requires you to make a jack of all trades to do any task right
>>
Daily reminder that Desintegrat should be an at will wizard cantrip.
>>
>>65731867
way to be tedious as fuck for the sake of your autism.
kys
>>
>>65731725
Strahd is the land, if you kill him he’ll come back even if you are the “successor”
>>
>>65731949
>72 seconds just to fire 2 shots
Maybe the current rules for crossbows arent just meme balancing after all...
>>
>>65731975
Only if it’s self cast
>>
Explain why I should play human instead of Chad Half-Elves.
>b-b-but vumans!!!11!
Only good for one feat and that's it.
>>
>>65732064
Valf-elf
>>
>> new

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/272859/Artifacts-of-the-Guild
>>
File: cry animu.gif (1.3 MB, 498x278)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB GIF
>want to be a dashing rogue that fights with a saber and crossbow
>need cbe to effectively use the crossbow in the middle of a fight
>cbe requires me to have a free hand for reloading so i can't fight with both weapons
>i am however allowed to basically use the crossbow as a 1d6 finesse melee weapon and get a bonus action attack so it's not like having both weapons would give me any benefit
I hate this
>>
>>65732140
just get a third arm
>>
>>65732098
why are you shilling this shit here?
>>
>>65732064
Half-elves are the OG snowflakes. From a purely mechanical perspective, they are superior for basically any character build since they get the +1 to two relevant stats anyway along with all their other junk. But if you're just picking your race for stats and features, you should kill yourself immediately.
>>
>>65732140
bring a brace of loaded crossbows and drop them after firing
>>
>>65732062
FUCK YOU!!!!! FUCKKKKK YOUUUUUU!!!!!!! WIZARDS ARE THE MOST POWERFUL CLASS AND THEUY SHOULD BE GOOOOOSDDSSSSS!!!!!!11
>>
>>65731949
bro this dude's channel is fucking awesome

find of the day. thanks anon
>>
>>65732168
I like CHA characters even if they have only +1. Also, they're the closest thing to half-satyrs.
>>
>>65732160
It was some new news and I thought perhaps some dms who lurk would like to know.
>>
File: 1434387486553.gif (1.04 MB, 400x393)
1.04 MB
1.04 MB GIF
>>65732168
>not picking for mechanics
How does it feel to lose and be a dead weight to everyone in your party?
>>
>>65732188
this meme was never funny
>>
>>65732214
>That gif
Thank you.
>>
>>65732242
Only to those with an inferior, martial sense of humor.
>>
>>65732213
you gonna post every homebrew that gets uploaded champ?
>>
>>65732181
I hope all of those crossbows are magic because we'll be fighting monsters that resist normal weapons :^)
>>
>>65732064
Because gnomes make the best wizards
>>
>>65732273
I usually do but not today for you
>>
>Produce Flame
Can I move it around on my body to do fire dancing?
>>
>>65732267
I would still think martial vs caster memes were funny if I didn't see people unironically believing and repeating them in every thread outside /5eg/.
>>
>>65732360
Not him, and I'm also a DM. Please don't post shitty homebrew that you have to pay to see. It reeks of shilling and desperation
>>
if you play martial classes, you're a BIGOT
>>
>>65732368
I'd say that falls more under Control Flames, but if you had either cantrip I wouldn't be against either. Why not target yourself with fairie fire though?
>>
>>65732368
Not with rules as written, but you could use Dancing Lights or Control Flames for that. As DM I don't think I'd allow Produce Flame to be used like that unless you were just tossing it from hand to hand and moving it around yourself like basketball players do with a ball.
>>
>>65732425
>>65732368
I recommend Dancing Lights
>>
Can a lizardman knock up a human girl if he cums inside?
>>
>>65732368
It appears in your hand, so you could light your hands on fire, I guess.
Control Flames is closer, like what >>65732425 and >>65732442
said, but it's a cantrip about fire, so I probably wouldn't argue too hard unless you were trying to do some weirdly specific thing to try and get a ton of mechanic advantage.
>>
>>65732457
I only asked if I can use it like that for performances.
>>
>>65732474
Personally I'd give it advantage on a Performance check made with it, yes. I like the visual.
>>
>>65732453
no
>>
File: le d56 face.jpg (189 KB, 1400x1400)
189 KB
189 KB JPG
>>65732453
>>
Can you animate the skeleton while its still inside the dude(alive)?
>>
>>65732484
Same. I wish more of my players used cantrips and such creatively like that. It's the type of thing I give out inspiration for, usually.
>>
>>65732499
la goblino...
>>
File: Avian_slender_03.png (111 KB, 450x450)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>65732498
Is dragonborn the same as dragon? They were blood of the creator god. skeleton master race
>>
>>65732515
Seeing how the skeleton is alive, no.
>>
>>65732425
Control Flame only allows you to manipulate non-magical fire. The elemental control cantrips generally aren't good.
>>
>>65732498
Damn, all that fucking and nothing to show for it.
>>
>>65732533
No. Dragon-born are worse versions of Half-Dragons.
>>
>>65732390
Is this a dagger which I see before me, the handle toward my hand? Come, let me clutch thee! I have thee not, and yet I see thee still.
Art thou not, fatal vision, sensible to feeling as to sight? or art thou but a dagger of the mind, a false creation proceeding from the heat-oppressed brain?
>>
File: fgyp2sdqx8vx.jpg (3.52 MB, 3220x1704)
3.52 MB
3.52 MB JPG
>>65732515
Can you animate undead or it is just take control if you target them?
>>65732533
Wrong image
>>65732558
>N - no not without magical mean
Better start questing
>>
>>65732597
woah I totally forgot about Death Jr., man that takes me back
>>
name a more rad multiclass than druid 2/wizard X
>>
Does anyone have the edit with a more normal nose someone did a while ago?
>>
>>65732716
>a more normal nose
Dude, that's what they look like. That is unironically the least tumblr firbolg.
>>
>>65732716
What do you mean by more normal?
Less red/alcoholic?
>>
>>65732762
>>65732798
Yeah it was just less red and I think maybe a little bit smaller.
>>
File: plain nose.jpg (93 KB, 564x1091)
93 KB
93 KB JPG
>>65732716
>>65732816
Don't know about making the nose smaller, but here's a less red version.
>>
File: he got over his cold.jpg (81 KB, 564x1091)
81 KB
81 KB JPG
>>65732716
>>65732931
100 million hours in photoshop
i accept btc
>>
>the shadow dragon casts Shadow of Moil
>>
Trying to brainstorm what I might want to play in a SKT campaign. Anybody know what might be fun to RP?
>>
File: Spoiler Image (24 KB, 564x1091)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>65732716
>>
How does /5eg/ feel about Gemstone Dragons?
>>
>>65732214
It's almost impossible to be deadweight in 5e without doing something ridiculous. The only time I've ever felt a character was mechanically deadweight was a guy who brought in his Tiefling paladin waifu who had no STR or DEX because she was chubby and clumsy and he thought that was endearing.
>>
>>65730193
If it were me, I would be always be running the trident two handed and I would go for +attack because I love to hit things.
>>
>>65730497
Sounds super shitty. As a DM I think it's important to be aware of the implications of your spells on the players and alter or remove spells and conditions that are unfun for the players.
>>
File: Banderhobb.jpg (31 KB, 300x300)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>65730603
A Banderhobb
>>
Requesting the new supplement from DMs guild "artifacts of the guild". Someone has to have it
Ill be buying the print version.
>>
>>65730497
Similar situation recently
>Level 10 party is fighting the BBEG, basically a roided out Ulitharid
>He goes before 2/3 of the party in initiative
>Hits all of them with a mind blast
>Basically, DC 17 INT saving throw or be stunned for a minute (repeat the save on the end of your turns)
>None of them have INT save proficiency or INT scores above 10, basically an 80% chance of getting fucked
>Miraculously, only 2 of 4 party members fail
>Miracle of miracles, one of them passes their save their next turn
>The sorcerer, however, doesn't
>He spends the next 5 turns failing his save over and over again while everyone else is in the fight of their lives
>Finally passes the saves
>Manages to get one spell off before the combat ends
I was really feeling for him. I get that he had some bad luck, but 80% chance to get fucked and subsequently stay fucked is just fucking brutal.
>>
>bracer of flying daggers
so if a rogue carries a dagger he can throw 3 times?
neat...
>>
>>65733249
Where is that from?
>>
Fact: Warlock's Familiars should transform into stronger versions over time.
>>
>>65733260
Dragon Heist.
>>
>>65732992
I personally miss the sheer amount of variety previous additions have had with creatures/monsters. Gem dragons were always a interesting concept, they were neutral right? I have high hopes that 5e is gonna keep getting bigger and bigger though. Wouldn't mind another book with more variant rules as well, just for those of us that want a little more oomph to the gameplay.
>>
Is playing a female character as a male weird?
>>
>>65733288
It's only weird if you make it weird.
>>
Variant action options from the DGM: climbing a creature, disarm, mark, overun, shove aside and tumble.

Does any of you use that? What was the effect on gameplay?
>>
>>65733288
Pretending to be a girl is more strange than pretending to be an elf or gnome?
>>
>>65733229
Yeah, but at least he gets to save. A friend could have tried casting restoration on him or something like that... He could even be targeted by the enemy. Something could happen...

Forcecage? If you don't know how to teleport, that's 1 hour of sit out time.
>>
Anyone ever did a halberd or greatsword warlock
how'd it go
>>
>>65733287
>more variant rules
Pretty sure the designers aren't happy with the number of variant rules in the game already. They're adamant about not having another 3.5e
>>
>>65733288
Not inherently. I play female characters all the time because I can't stop myself and no one ever bats an eye. Just don't make it weird and nobody will think it's weird.
>>
>>65733229
A good solution to this kind of stuff is to let them out after a round but with a penalty like they lose their movement (so they have to dash to move)
>>
>>65733327
No spell short of Power Word Heal (a 9th level Bard exclusive spell) ends the stunned condition. The stun from mind blast can only be ended by passing the save or waiting the 1 minute.
>>
>>65733288
More often than not, unfortunately.
>>65733394
>all the time
yup, that's wierd. Me friend did that in school but with video games and now he's a "woman"
>>
File: Self Bow.jpg (8 KB, 306x165)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>65732140
I would talk to your DM about it. If it's reasonable and doesn't give you a sizeable advantage over your fellow players then you should be allowed to homebrew your fantasy in.

Or instead buy a magical self loading crossbow or some other device that helps you out.
>>
>>65733432
People like my female characters and I'm very attached to my penis, so it is what it is, man.
>>
>>65733229
Thats what he gets for playing a sorcerer and not a wizard
>>
>>65733488
A feminine penis Owo?
>>
I've only ever seen diviner, bladesinger, necromancer, and conjurer in play

Redpill me on the other wizard subclasses why are they worth going
>>
How should I round out my level 17 monk? For AL play

>Go to level 20 pure monk
>Get 3 more ki points
>Can turn invisible and get damage resistance
>Get Monk capstone
>Get an ASI/Feat
>+5 ft movespeed

>3 levels in Ranger/Gloomstalker
>+2 damage from fighting style
>extra +5 to initiative
>Extra 10ft movement on first turn
>Extra attack on first turn with bonus 1d8 damage
>Darkvision
>Invisible in darkness
>Spell slot

>1 level extra in monk, 2 in fighter/battlemaster
>Can turn invisible and get damage resistance
>+1 ki point
>+2 damage from fighting style
>Maneuvers
>Action Surge
>>
>>65733528
>multiclassing
>AL
I'm gonna tell him.
>>
File: 1553550163614.jpg (367 KB, 2000x1364)
367 KB
367 KB JPG
>>65733528
>2 in battlemaster
we can rule that one out, chief
>>
>>65733509
No.
>>
>>65733528
>Multiclassing monk
Stop it
>>
>>65733535
You can multiclass in AL
>>65733537
Yeah fucked that up, should be 3. The other option I was considering was 1/2 Cleric and I mixed them up.
>>65733545
Why?
>>
>>65733394
Jeremy Crawford is proud of you. Embrace alternate sexualities. Transcend your gender like a god.
>>
Man I just flip a coin for male or female I don't see why it's a huge deal
>>
File: 1551963697385.gif (925 KB, 500x208)
925 KB
925 KB GIF
whenever my bard performs a Ritual, I tell my fellow players that he's dling exactly this and play it on loop at full volume and that their chars have to listen for 10 minutes since that's how long the ritual lasts
https://youtu.be/ojyXqvHQQy8
>>
>>65733597
What do you do when you short rest?
>>
>>65733524
> Be evoker.
> Be level 9.
> Learn dawn.
> Cast dawn.
> 30 ft radius 40 ft hihg cilinder.
> Radiant damage.
> 4d10+int (evoker) damage. Con save for half.
> You can move the cilinder 60 ft as a bonus action on your turn.
> You can ignore 5 people, who take no damage from it (evoker).

If you get to level 14 you can overchannel it. Than it's a 30 ft radius, mobile area of denial that does 40 points of radiant damange on a failed con save and 20 on a sucess and ignores your allies.
>>
>>65733603
eat second breakfast
>>
Speed Factor. Has anyone ever use it? How does it fare?
>>
>>65733575
>Making a waifu is equivalent to apotheosis

Maybe the Japanese are on to something
>>
How do you rule stealth, invisibility and being unseen? Do you follow RAW?
>>
>>65733685
>Stealth
When you announce you're sneaking ahead, you are. When a failed roll would have instant and immediate consequences I'll have you roll
>Invisibility
Same as RAW. You can hide anywhere but unless you're actively hiding you can be found pretty easily if people are laying attention
>>
Would it be considered rude to take a 1-level warlock dip on a sorceror?
>>
File: 1554976010064-1.jpg (35 KB, 450x450)
35 KB
35 KB JPG
>>65733716
Multiclassing is gay in itself especially if
>dip
>>
>>65733701
>When a failed roll would have instant and immediate consequences I'll have you roll
This is actually quite smart, I'll use it from time to time for sneaking into areas players know are guarded. For unknown places it has the same issue as asking for the perception check: unless you ask for it all the time at random it kind of betrays something is up.
>unless you're actively hiding you can be found pretty easily if people are laying attention
I think that's not RAW. RAW you are explicitly found and even people not paying attention know your exact location until you actually take the hide action.

I don't like that part of RAW. So far I've always ran stealth using common sense rather than the handbook rules but I'm looking to codify them into a proper houserule.
>>
>+ 1 Attack Roll
>+ 2 Attack Roll
>+ 3 Attack Roll
>+ 1 Attack Roll Against 3 Types of Creature
>+ 2 Attack Roll Against 2 Types of Creature
>+ 3 Attack Roll Against 1 Type of Creature
>+ 1d4 commonly resisted damage (physical, fire, poison)
>+ 1d4 average resisted damage (cold, lightning, necrotic, or acid)
>+ 1d4 rarely resisted damage (radiant, force, psychic or thunder)
>+ 1d6 commonly resisted damage (physical, fire, poison)
>+ 1d6 average resisted damage (cold, lightning, necrotic, or acid)
>+ 1d6 rarely resisted damage (radiant, force, psychic or thunder)
>+ Reach
>+ Finesse
>+ Melee one die step upgrade (1d4>1d6>1d8>1d12) (2d3>2d4>2d6)
>+ Ranged one die step upgrade (1d4>1d6>1d8>1d12) (2d3>2d4>2d6)
>+ Wielder can cast Cantrip
>+ Doubles as Arcane/Druidic Focus/Holy Symbol

How would you weight those qualities, proportionally, if you had to assign them a number to score how good that quality is on a magic weapon?
Also, am I missing any generic quality?
>>
>>65733779
>So far I've always ran stealth using common sense rather than the handbook rules
That's actually what RAW mostly is. They deliberately left it super hazy so that DMs could figure it out, which on the face of it's not a bad way to handle it, but if you think about it for more than a moment comes off as super dickish and lazy. "Coming up with common-sense, functional stealth rules is hard; finish our job for us."
So in the following years they've had to come out with multiple explanations and case uses because people keep asking "what did they mean by this," with "this" being a blank check and a sticky note saying "use best judgment." Because in reality they had some specific ideas about how stealth and passive perception worked, but didn't make those clear enough to be useful, so instead you have a bunch of dumb shit.
RAW/RAI is probably that you're not considered "hidden" unless you hide, but you can be unseen/unnoticed regardless of "hiding."
>>
>>65733779
>but I'm looking to codify them into a proper houserule
Don't forget to share it.
>>
>>65733825
Magic Item rules are pretty hazy and most appraisals of rarity (IME) are similar to SCOTUS's definition of obscene material: "I know it when I see it." You're best off looking at pre-existing items like the flametongue, or some labelled properties of things. In some cases, you might use the DMG benchmarks for creating magic items, and treat something like +1d6 damage of X type as casting an equivalent spell like Elemental Weapon or Holy Weapon multiple times a day.
>am I missing any generic quality?
Some of the minor properties listed in the DMG might qualify for what you're thinking of.
3.5e had more coherent magic item property guidelines (because of the equipment treadmill), so looking there might be useful.
>>
>>65733825
>>65733825
>1/2/3 attack bonus
1/2/3 pts
>type restricted attack bonus
75% of value if a common type, half if specific kinds of creatures
>d4 damage
0.75 common/medium, 1 rare type
>d6 damage
1 common medium, 1.5 rare
>reach
1.5 or 2
>finesse
1 or 1.5
>damage die upgrade
>cantrip
>spell focus

Obviously it shouldn't be linear, stacking all the abilities at once would make it worth more points.
>>
>>65733918
I'll look into that, thanks.
Rewarding players as a new DM is really difficult, from what I was reading something that seems harmless could completely break your campaign, so I'm trying to organize a table.
>>
>>65733716
If your dm lets you just "take" a dip instead of it being justified in character and not shoehorned or handwaved your game is shit
>>
>>65733934
>something that seems harmless could completely break your campaign
Don't give your players a weapon of warning.
>>
Would dipping Magic Initiate to pick up Greenflame Blade/Booming Blade/Lightning Lure on a Battlemaster Fighter be a good idea?
>>
Here's the fifth version of YARR (aka /5eg/ Ranger.) I'm very happy with how this turned out.

Choice changes from the last revision:
>Bonus Action Hide / Dash moved up to level 3
>Hunter's Mark switched from 1/ short rest to WIS mod / long rest
>Hunter's Mark damage increased to d12 at level 20
>added some notes, spell list, pretty pictures

Other than that a few names got changed and shifted around. Tear into it if you think it's stupid or needs to be changed. But thanks to the revisions people have already helped with I think it's exactly where I want it to be. It seems pretty much perfect
>>
>>65733977
Sounds really boring.
>>
>>65733977
>dipping magic initiate
Vas?
>>
>>65733989
Gonna read it, but it looks nice at least. Thanks for sharing, anon.
>>
>>65733263

Familiar's are completely underpowered even with improved feat
>>
>>65734003
Familiars are either just fluff pieces or tools of abuse. No inbetween
>>
I wanna get into dnd what should be my starter pack?
>>
>>65734012

Johnny on spot healer/spare the dying when you cant move across the battlefield is the most useful thing that they can do honestly, it just feels like a waste.

They need some serious reworking. You're better off hiring a merc or doing literally any other kind of summoning.
>>
>>65733528
if you're a shadow monk, the gloomstalker levels will be neat. battlemaster is alright, but you probably need the last ASI since you're playing AL
>>
Does the disadvantage on ranged attacks at melee range thing count for spells, too?
>>
File: 1482864248222.png (512 KB, 800x1095)
512 KB
512 KB PNG
>>65733989
argh, why did you have to do this so late. i'm about to go to bed

>still zombie rexxar and not the transparent ranger image i posted earlier
>>
>>65734036

oh yeah. Unless it specifically mentions otherwise, yes you're at disadvantage at melee range as a caster. You can take a feat to remove it though.
>>
>>65734016
Barbarian is a good babby's first class. Functional if you pick the right subclass (totem or ancestral guardian), and not too many features to really worry about. Max Str, max Con, put some into Dex, hit things hard.
>>
>>65734054

If you do pick barb, don't multiclass till after you get second attack. Barbs are useless without 2 or 3 attacks even with reckless
>>
>>65733879
>>65733900
The way I've been ruling it is more or less, assuming a combat situation with normal enemies and one invisible foe:
>unless you're expecting invisible enemies or take search action, you're unaware the invisible foe is here until he takes some action (i.e. just moving won't reveal him because the combat is distracting)
>once you know there's somebody invisible, if he's within 60ft of you you know his rough location (+-5 feet in any direction) unless you're adjacent in which case you more or less pinpoint him
>if the distance increases beyond 60ft you lose track of the foe, you know he's somewhere but you don't even have an approximation of his position unless there's special circumstances
>if foe takes hide action and beats your perception, you also lose track of him no matter the distance
And it works similar for fog or darkness, i.e. you have 5 foot error range unless you're next to someone, and obviously you have harder time telling friend from foe.
>>
>>65733989
My only gripe is Hunter's Mark doesn't play well with dual-wielding still until high levels, but that's more of an issue with the system then the class. Not much you can do without having it become godly amounts of damage at low levels though.
>>
>>65734076

Dread ambusher and action surge to double your attack queue.

Go 8 attacks.
>>
Ive been told by my players recently that they want more magic items, not that they need to be powerful, but they want more of them. I want to give them an opportunity to get them, in my setting for SKT the Frost Giants have been raiding shipping lines from evermeet and the moonshae isles, effecting the prices of these goods at waterdeep and areas nearby.

They killed one of the frost giant kings daughters long ago in the campaign, and the story im running with is the father has gone mad over this and has sought Vapraks blessing and is presiding over a fleet of Frost Giant longships.

I dont know what to do from there, I want to provide a satisfying way for them to obtain a certain amount of magic items. They currently have the staff of the adder, a driftglobe, and some drow armor that lets them silent step.
>>
Any creative ideas to deal with Venomfang in Mines? DMing and I wanna be prepared.
>>
>>65734101
Give them useless magic items to remind them that they don't even need the ones you gave them. Magic items should great rewards, not on demand treats that you cash in your good boy points for
>>
>>65734101

Mix flavor magic items that add effects but not necessarily power without combining the use of multiple items.

then throw in useful items. The amount is based on perception of how often they're receiving them, not necessarily in what they do.

based on your items though, you must be in the beginning 1 to 5 level part of the campaign.
>>
>>65734046
sorry, anon. I was going to, but upon looking more closely I discovered his armor looks pretty heavy for a Ranger lol. I dunno, what do you think? should I still swap it? I guess it doesn't fit *less* than Rexxar.

>>65734076
you summed up the thought process exactly. as a consolation, you can consider this: If the Ranger takes TWF, he can switch between Longbow or Rapier + Shield while he is using his Hunter's Mark, and the dual Shortswords when he's all out of Hunter's Mark. then you get a big payoff when 11th level finally rolls around.

>>65734087
this is a very powerful combo, yes.
but unless I'm forgetting something, it's actually just equally powerful with PHB Ranger as it is with YARR.
>>
>>65734109
If they end up fighting him, don't pull punches. Even young dragons are several centuries old and are more intelligent and experienced than any of your PCs are. If you do have a TPK, just have the cultists capture the group in they're lair instead of killing them
>>
>>65730443
This is an optional rule.
>>
File: DC_-_Elf.png (1.37 MB, 1135x1335)
1.37 MB
1.37 MB PNG
>>65734163
Use this
>>
>>65733989
oh, and if you don't want to go through every feature trying to figure out exactly what's different from the PHB Ranger, just skip to the changelog on page 6.
>>
>>65734109
So, one thing that players can ignore as an option is Holding their Action. If you have the dragon play smart, he may not want to abandon his lair but he can certainly fly around the tower and duck in to poison breath and pop out right after. A dragon is gonna use their breath weapon every single time they have it, as long as they can hit as many targets as possible. In that tower, that's everyone, basically.

Otherwise, a dragon is smart, a green dragon especially so. They're unlikely going to sit in a room within range of every attacker. The tower's ceiling is 40 feet, they can easily cling to that and poison breath the entire floor with ease.
>>
>>65734087
8 attacks? wouldn't it be 7 with action surge? regular action two+one, bonus action one, action surge two+one. two-weapon fighting bonus action doesn't count as taking the attack action.
>>
>>65734228

The class I'm playing with also gets a surprise/sneak attack because of gloomstalker combo
>>
>>65734122
>>65734120

Nah they're at level 8
>>
>>65734243

your party is way underpowered for gear, you're jewing them hard.

my party started out with just basic starter items that they bought before beginning the campaign that puts them ahead of you. That was at start as level 3s
>>
Would have first 2 levels as fighter for my sorc representing before his powers awakening be too hindering?
>>
>>65734163
i mean, rangers can wear half plate with no problem, so it's up to you. maybe shift one of the other ranger pics up and stick that one lower down

>>65734188
or use this weebshit
>>
>>65734288
>calling vanillaware gorgeous artwork weebshit
I'm not saying it's not japanese, but anon. Please.
>>
File: 1481596837808.jpg (31 KB, 549x604)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>65731198
>they'll still be somewhat oppressive by nature

Evil detected
>>
>>65731803
Weapon die basically never really matters in D&D.

Well, maybe in 1E or something.
>>
>>65734377

Say that to my 10 skeletons.
>>
>>65732050
Yeah Crossbow Expert is full retard.

Crossbows should be fucking obliterating niggas at the cost of long load times.
>>
How do y'all do Scrying and awareness? If a creature makes the save against it, are they now aware of the spell? Or that they were targeted by the spell? Could a PC be scryed on right now and not even know it?
>>
>>65733992
Why?

>>65733994
I just meant taking the feat but I'm exhausted so it came out dumb
>>
>>65734422

depends on who the check is failing against, casters could sense type of magic but probably not specifics, creatures could feel a presence or pressure, it comes down to focus of the spell honestly.
>>
>>65734435

if you're going to waste a feat using wizard spell school, I'd pick up shield. Not dying is useful.
>>
>>65734308
weebshit is weebshit
>>
>>65734448
wut
>>
>>65734435
>taking it
yes
>on a fighter
no

dont know if it was on wotcs intention, but gfb/bb are designed specifically for melee classes that do NOT ever recieve an extra attack. if they get 1, its a questionable improvement, and if they get more, its almost useless
>>
>>65734465
>wotcs intention
I thought those were made by Green Ronin, the guys who did Sword Coast?
>>
>>65734459

The spells he chose are from wizard spell list, meaning as a fighter he would be using dmg as an int modifer/prof bonus

he's better off going eldritch knight if he wants to do that and not battlemaster. He should use the feat that allows you to take battlemaster moves instead since only 2 or 3 of them are any consistent use anyway
>>
>>65734422
The line "If a target knows you're casting this spell, it can fail the saving throw voluntarily if it wants to be observed." means that most creatures aren't aware. There are certain traits and spells that work for that, though, like blindsight or truesight.
>>
>>65734487
He could take them as a Warlock
>>
DEX BARB WHEN
>>
>>65734504

He could but most likely his int will be higher than cha if only for skill rolls.
>>
So I'm prepping a Dark Souls-esque game for some friends. I plan to be using XP as the standard "currency" in that you level up with it but also use it to buy things, slowing the leveling process a little, which I'm happy with. But I also want to introduce a mechanic where some aspects of the setting (like Bonfires) are basically inert, and need XP to be poured into them to activate. How much XP would be a good baseline, what should I base it off of? As much as one party member got for beating the monster in the area?
>>
>>65733989
Oh hey, was wondering when you'd be back. Thanks for your feeback on my one!

>Wis Mod Scaling
Needed this if the goal is to capture what PHB promised but didn't deliver. PHB says to go Wis when that's a lie (go Con instead).
>>
>>65734536

check homebrew exp based games and find a baseline that you like, correlate until you find the right medium between resource rich areas and areas where they will be tested through attrition.
>>
>>65734536
That sounds waaaaayy to videogamey for /tg/. It does not seem like the best use for the medium of table top games.
That being said, is there a reason NOT to activate these things? Consider that if a player needs to backtrack, and backtracking isn't that hard, then why should they activate these things? If the price is low, say, an encounter from the last weak area, then they will likely always pay it. If it costs all the effort to get there, then they might as well go back to buy better things with their exp.
If the price is high, make it worthwhile to buy. For example, a bonfire is worthless if enemies only respawn at the bonfire. If monsters are always present, then it's invaluable to not lose progress.
if the price is low, then assume they buy it everytime, just because they can.
I would base it off the total amount of experience they would have received thus far.
The first bonfire is 20 xp because they've earned 100 xp in fights, the next is 200 when they've earned 1000, etc, etc.
>>
Any good ideas for a minor puzzles in a cultist/necromancy test facility? Players are investigating zombie outbreaks and encountered a ancient tomb, guarded by 2 Owlbears. The idea is various experiments being held on zombies here, like: can zombies wear magic items like a belt of giant strenght, can zombies survive inside a gelatinous cube, etc. I want to make some puzzles involving these zombies being tested (to get the magic item they are being tested with.)
>>
>>65734621
Listen, don't even start. I have pages of a politics-rich setting that these assholes don't appreciate in the slightest, they treat everything like a videogame. I'm giving them what they want.
>>
File: Bully!.png (343 KB, 1240x1052)
343 KB
343 KB PNG
>>65729892
The most. They're an affectionate people.
>>
>>65734632
Fuck NADDPod.
>>
Does anyone have a good template or guide for writing character backstories? I've always been terrible and I'm trying really hard for this game.
>>
If Im playing mark of warding dwarf, i get 2con, 1dex, 1int and both regular dwarf abilities and warding abilities or only warding dwarfs?
>>
>>65734668
Regular Dwarf abilities like Stonecunning and Artisan's Tool proficiency as well as Warding abilities, but not the Mountain Dwarf "proficient in medium armor" or the Hill Dwarf "+1 HP per HD" because you're not a Mountain or Hill Dwarf, you're a Mark of Warding Dwarf.

I answered your question on Reddit too, asshole.
>>
>>65734663

Who was your character before adventuring?
Why did your character start adventuring. What is his goal from all of this?
Why is your character interested in sticking with this party (why you wouldnt ditch them the first hard encounter to save your own arse)

Answer these, in a few scentences each. Expand while playing.
>>
>>65734684
>I answered your question on Reddit too, asshole
Thank you, but its just coincidence, I don't post on reddit.
>>
>>65729892
Fog Cloud is my favorite spell as a GM
>no more Attacks of Opportunity
>anyone can take the Hide action as long as they're in the fog
>searching for a hidden enemy takes a full action
>combat turns into peek-a-boo until the caster drops the spell or someone gets incredibly lucky
>>
>>65734663
I like the 10 Minute Background.
>5 essential facts about your character
>2 goals your character wants to accomplish in-game
>2 secrets about your character; one is known to the character, the other is not
>3 NPCs your character has connections to; two are friendly, one is not
>3 memories your character has which they consider important
>>
>>65734788
I'm a player with a GM who likes to do this. With Fog Cloud, Invisibility, Darkness, everything.
Here's the problem:
For the players this is boring as fuck.
Just a reminder.
>>
>Martial Adept lets you learn 2 manuevers
>Gives you 1 d6 to use for them

wowitsfuckingnothing.webm

Battlemasters already get shit on by their low number of superiority dice, and they can't even take this to help them out.
>>
>>65734788
>roll low, waste an action
>roll high, next round ready an action to attack first enemy to reveal his location
>>
>>65734814
9 times out of 10, it's the players who casted it in the first place. But it's not like the spell is unbeatable. Anyone with Gust of Wind or similar spells can negate it.
>>
>>65734821
And this is why casters in D&D are fucking cancer.
>>
>>65734819
You dont understand what short rests are and shpuld burn in hell. Go back to /pol/.
>>
>>65734820
>roll high, next round ready an action to attack first enemy to reveal his location
Assuming the enemy hasn't repositioned and re-hidden before your next round.
>>
>>65734821
Oh yeah. And you can dispel it. Our counterspell it. Our have Devil's Sight for darkness.
There are ways around it.
But my GM likes to abuse it. Every enemy we are defeating cast darkness to escape. Every mage has greater invisbility on him. Every damn fight has two full turns, maybe three or four, of 4/5 of the party doing nothing, wasting actions to try to find the enemy, attacking empty spots hoping to kill the enemy, while the one party member that has the specific spell to disable the current "You Can se Me Spend Your Turn Swinging at Random Tiles" effect tries to burn his shit to stop it.
Don't get me wrong. Is a valid tactic.
So is placing the party barbarian in a forcecage and forcing him to sayt 14 turns out of combat while the rest of the group plays the game.
It's a gimmick one time. More than that it gets boring really quickly.
This is one of those spells that players like to use, but I would advice restrain as a GM.
>>
>>65734830
If enemy does anything like attacking you or casting a spell he reveals himself before he has a chance to hide again. The only downside to readying an attack here is that you have only 1 attack and must use potentially weaker ranged weapon (as opposed to let's say a greatsword). Hiding is also a full action.
>>
>>65734814
This.
Had this happen to us last session, where DM used darkness (to cover entire 50ft by 50ft room). Just not cool, made us wander around. Also players dont act blind if they know another player found an enemy and is wacking on him.
We had to ex machina wizard feeling enemies staff with detect magic to know where he is to break his concentration.
>>
>not being inquisitive rogue who gets to look for hidden enemies as a bonus action
Hehehehehe
>hits for whole d6 with a shortbow
>>
Do you automatically see enemies if your passive percetion is higher than their stealth rolls?
>>
>>65734883
True, but the narrative clock is inevitably against the players and not the NPCs. No reason for enemies in a dungeon not to stall the heroes for as long as they can. And if everyone's content to just pop a squat and hide for 10 rounds, that's cool too.
>>
>>65734943
Depends on your DM because the rules for passive checks are nebulous at best.
>>
>>65734943
If they aren't invisible or completely obscured, yeah
>>
>>65734943
Technically yes. You may not know their exact position, but you can learn there IS someone hiding for sure.

The way I use PP is for monsters mainly. If they aren't actively searching, use PP. Otherwise, it's Perception vs Stealth.
>>
>>65734943
Yes.
PHB pg 177
>When you hide, there is a chance someone will notice you even if they aren't searching.
The difficulty for the stealth roll is their passive perception.

>>65735041
Unseen characters can still be heard and their presence revealed.
'Hiding'/stealth is the art of being unseen AND unheard.
You can be Invisible and run around shouting "It's okay guys, he can't see me!" which would ruin any attempt at Stealth.
Invisibility has it's own advantages, however.
>>
>>65735057
I would do it differently.
If they are unaware use PP, if they are aware roll perception and use whichever is greater, pp or perception.
>>
>>65735057
>>65735100
But they have to burn an action to roll percetion. That's why I asked about passive.
>>
>>65735098
>Unseen characters can still be heard and their presence revealed.
>'Hiding'/stealth is the art of being unseen AND unheard.
>You can be Invisible and run around shouting "It's okay guys, he can't see me!" which would ruin any attempt at Stealth.
>Invisibility has it's own advantages, however.
That's what I said. Anon asked if they could be seen. If they are visible, they will be seen. Sound has no bearing on visibility
>>
>>65735115
I would rule as a seen. If each hide, even low would require an action to contest it to see it, it would be extremely OP. You could even give NPCs advantage on perception if they hide behind a rock and enemies know that (pp gets +5). Hiding in combat should be a miracle in my opinion.
>>
>>65734943
yes
same rule applies to players, when your rolling stealth your attempting to beat the creature's passive perception, if they are actively looking for you though, like your attempting to escape some guardsman, then they will actively roll against you
>>
>>65735130
Not disagreeing, just expanding on what you said.
There's more than one way to fail a stealth roll.
>>
So my wizard casts invisibility on himself in combat to run away.
How do you rule it /5eg/?
>>
>>65735229
Invis gives advantage on stealth checks, right?
There's your answer, if they can't spot you, they can't chase you.
>>
>>65735229
>wizard no longer triggers AoOs
>wizard cannot be targeted by spells which require sight of the target
>enemies can attempt to attack a random square (at disadvantage) to hit the wizard
>enemies can roll Perception to determine the position of the wizard with non-visual clues, but attacks are still at disadvantage
>wizard can take the Hide action anywhere
>>
>>65734069
Seems fair to me and similar to how I run.

If they are invisible, you can usually pinpoint their square. Unless they are taking the hide action, which they can do pretty much anywhere, to try and move quietly. Advantage to hit and disadvantage to fight back is already enough of an edge without having to play battleships. Creatures and characters that can hide as bonus actions are the scary ones, as they can strike while invisible, hide and move, leaving you entirely blind to their location.
>>
>>65735229
>wizard no longer triggers AoOs
>wizard cannot be targeted by spells which require sight of the target
>enemies can attack him at disadvantage, even with invisibility if he makes no attempt to be sneaky it is simple to follow his movements and know where he is.
>wizard can take the Hide action anywhere, and does so with advantage.
>If he does, enemies cannot target him unless they have sufficient passive perception, or spend an action and succesfully find him with a roll.
>>
>>65734814
My players had a bit of fun fighting a darkness using enemy, I probably wouldn't do it more than once or thrice in a single campaign though. In this case it was a Warlock/Fighter who cast Hunger of Hadar then fled to safety while Eldritch blasting, the party had taken a beating from Hunger and didn't want to pursue. They finished him with Tidal Wave.
>>
>>65729892
New Thread
>>65735319
>>65735319
>>65735319
>>
test test test
>>
>>65733977
No, something like hex or hunter's mark would be better because fighters strength comes from having lots of attacks
>>
>>65734359
A crusade campaign to wipe out the heretics is a good campaign.
>>
>>65734828
>EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES WITH ME IS LE /pol/ BOOGEYMANG BECAUSE I SAID SO XDDDD XDDDD XDDDD XDDDD XDDDD XDDDD
Kill yourself, Kike.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.