[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: osr5.jpg (399 KB, 683x884)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
Broadly, OSR games encourage a tonal fidelity to Dungeons & Dragons as it was played in the first decade of the game's existence!

>Trove (Bytee's is more up to date)
http://pastebin.com/raw/QWyBuJxd
>Tools & Resources:
http://pastebin.com/raw/KKeE3etp
>Old School Blogs:
http://pastebin.com/raw/ZwUBVq8L
>Previous thread:
>>65677200

Do you let any of your players run more than one character?
>>
>>65693827
/old/, what do you recommed for our friend here?
>>
>>65700284
Only time I allowed that was because one player had to leave early, so another player took over his character for the rest of the session.
>>
>>65700284
Yea, but only one at a time. You can play multiple character but each session you're playing only a single one. So if you wanna go to an easier dungeon with a low level character on session and play a different high level character to do a harder dungeon the next, that's fine.
>>
I don’t mind players having a stable of characters. In fact that is very old school. That way if a PC is recovering from injuries (1D3 HP per day under medical care) or training or off on another quest they can still play. My games are west marches drop in/drop out. So having a few PCs is helpful. All levels must be gained through play from 1st level. However players can only run one PC in an adventure at a time.
>>
>>65700368
4e because Golden Axe is a side-scrolling beat'em up
>>
>>65698007
>I mean, without your GM improvising a coup de grace or something.
But, Anon, that's not improvised. I'm pretty sure every old-school edition of D&D says that an attack on a helpless enemy is an automatic killing blow. For example, if you Sleep someone, you can just cut his throat, no attack roll, nothing.

You've just imported your concerns about a conundrum from the newer editions into one where it doesn't exist.
>>
>>65700284
>Do you let any of your players run more than one character?
Sure, absolutely. Whether it's substituting for an injured or traveling character, or running two or more on one expedition, that's fine by me. I'm more of a characters-as-pawns guy anyway.
>>
I want to DM but right now I don't have the time to build a whole campaign world and hexmap and shit...I think doing something more of a series of oneshots would be more manageable, and I think it could be even more better to somehow capture the feeling of some of Howard or Leiber's stories.

Do you think an OSR game would fit this? Or maybe I should consider other games with a different xp system? My genre is sword and sorcery and my to-go system is Labyrinth Lord, but do you think there can be a better system? Not a huge sandbox nor a megadungeon but a series of looooosely related oneshots.
>>
>>65701386
>More better
Oh god fucking dammit.
>>
If old school D&D is all about exploration and survival, and "role playing" a character with motives and emotions and such is a distraction, then why does Mystara have detailed explanations of dozens of nations, their beliefs and attitudes, fashion, social structures, etc.?
>>
>>65701386
There's literally nothing wrong with doing only one-shots. Many players would probably prefer having dungeons they can return to, but that doesn't have to be a megadungeon. I think one floor or small (10 rooms a floor) multi floor dungeons are good sizes for that.
The players are probably gonna want to get involved with the world eventually though. You don't have to build a setting or hexmap, but you should probably just grab one from somewhere else.
>>
>>65701448
Because roleplaying is intended as part of the game and you've bought into the shitposter's scams.
>>
What's something most OSR fags who weren't there for OD&D get wrong?
>>
>>65701448

Role playing is part of the OSR game as are adventure, exploration, combat. It isn’t the over emphasized main event you see in neu School D&D. Where amateur thespian drama club types try to “get into character” to the detriment of the adventure.
>>
>>65701499

Over emphasis on role playing and character development. The modern trend of nursing along characters (fudging hidden die rolls) to hit narravitist plot check points. A rollercoaster is a wild ride but it’s still a railroad. Let your games unfold by random rolls and procedurally generation and everyone will be much more vested in the experience.
>>
>>65701386
>Or maybe I should consider other games with a different xp system?
Use this for XP
http://themansegaming.blogspot.com/2018/06/20-non-gold-for-xp-progression-systems.html
>>
>>65701386
>Do you think an OSR game would fit this?
Unquestionably yes. But:
>do you think there can be a better system?
Yeah, if you want to do an episodic game with a short-story feel, then Barbarians of Lemuria might be a better choice.
>>
>>65701448
It's because Mystara was published at the tail end of TSR's lifespan, for the last old-school product. Those Gazetteers resemble a 2e setting because they were made in that era, for people who (at least ostensibly, TSR seem to have miscalculated this badly) wanted to buy that kind of product.

If you look at how the Known World is presented in Cook Expert, it's not at all like that.
>>
>>65701448
>"role playing" a character with motives and emotions and such is a distraction
You mean play-acting, and yes, that's a distraction.

>Mystara
BECMI is the 2e of the Kiddie D&D fork
>>
>>65700284
My players have a "stable" of characters that starts off at 2 and increases with more commitment and sessions played. They can only run 1 at a time but they can will their possessions to their other character but players are free to steal their shit anyway, that just costs them actual reputation in the player roster.
>>
https://youtu.be/TBdyJg-Pydg

I need more OSR inspiring anime. I've already seen the excellent Wizardry OVA, Goblin Slayer, Lodoss, etc.
>>
>>65700284
Yes, so long as the player can keep a focus on each character's objectives and role within the party (and not switch magic items between the two)... :-)
>>
File: 2.jpg (194 KB, 450x579)
194 KB
194 KB JPG
I want to elicit this feeling for my players when they enter one of my cities. Any tips? I'm starting from a place of strict time tracking, holiday festivals, weather, settlement features and NPCs.
>>
>>65701914
How do you handle willing possessions to each other?
I always just did the 10% tax on gold, but the magic items tend to be the more valuable bit and those don't get taxed. I guess sometimes they're never recovered though?
Never had players get keeps or anything, but I'm sure they'd try to pass those along to heirs as well.
>>
Long time games and sessions end up usually having the players with many characters. Typically play with 1 character at a time, sessions might be a mass effect pick your party style or your using the Jedi’s tonight just depending the run.

But everyone in group does DM and recognize they’re just writing an NPC or adding more background to the setting by defining more in universe flavor. My group likes to play because they like to create and toy with their creations.

Gives a ton of options for our baddies. Iv got sheets and stat lines for days.
>>
>>65702100
In my setting I have a strict religious power that pays mercenary bands to pull out dead adventurers from dungeon sites they control access to, and perform burial rites at a fairly cut-throat rate.

It's one of those things that stop making sense in a simulated world, each player can only will a dead characters belongings once, any debts incurred during the burial ceremony will have to be payed by the incumbent/s or else collateral (magic items usually) will be retained by the church. This of course doesn't apply to dungeons outside of the churches influence and players are able to drag their own dead out (requires 2 people to carry, they effectively miss the first initiative round if they are surprised) and it keeps people from drafting wills and naming recipients as it can fuck em over.
>>
My players have been tasked with repairing a fortress they recently took over. They’ve been sent into an abandoned castle to rout some bandits from there and recover some treasure, as a show of good faith on their part (my players are not heroic and the fort is politically VERY important). However, because the dude who forced the PCs into the commitment is a traitor AND hates them on a personal level, I decided to throw in Skerples’ “tax system” into the mix. Wrote up a contract stating they have to surrender 90% of all spoils acquired.
Now, my group is intelligent but not clever. Aside from pointing out they have a fortress to stash their loot, how else can I subtly help them to pull the wool over Mr. Shekelberg’s eyes?
>>
>>65702673
Don't; if they let him rob them blind then they deserve it.
>>
>>65701448
Often people get "role-playing" confused with "acting". Role-playing is making choices as if you were the character or creature you are playing. Having detailed source information helps with that. Somewhere along the line "role-playing" started to mean "shitty amateur voice acting" and that kind of "role-playing" is cringeworthy, superficial, and unnecessary.
>>
I'm looking to start a game. I can't decide between AS&SH or Wilderlands of High Fantasy. Any advice/preference?
>>
>>65702024
Read fantasy novels like The Eye of The World by Robert Jordan. The way he describes the throngs of people in Caemlyn is great. You don't have to describe every npc. You can describe crowds, groups, or factions they see. Caemlyn is interesting because you have two political factions and a lot of tension.
>>
>>65702707

Well said. The modern crop of professional actors playing D&D as a “show” does double disservice to noobs trying to learn about RPGs.

1. They think acting is an important part of the game.

2. The games are as tightly scripted as a TV show. Linear narrative rail roads.
>>
>>65701928
>I need more OSR inspiring anime.

Grimgar Ashes and Illusions
Princess Mononoke (good example for OSR style factions and a mythic [s]underworld[/s] wilderness)
>>
Playing with the Rules Cyclopedia, are players supposed to drop backpacks before a battle or is carrying that much a mistake in the first place? Most could only move 1-3 spaces
>>
File: coon drawer.jpg (51 KB, 576x768)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
I love guilds- the generic fantasy world kind. Mages Guild, Fighters Guild, Thieves Guild, etc.

Is there any way to import this concept as anything other then just a background element into a fantasy world? I don't want to impede on player freedom too much, but doing some minor quests for a guild master to get special discounts on weapons and armor or trading in some rare monster body-parts to a colleague to get a new rare spells seems really fun.
>>
>>65704119
They're not really *meant* to do any one specific thing, they're supposed to have to make a tactical decision, or rather a set of them. Do I wear lighter armor and carry less gear, so I can move faster? Or do I wear heavy protection, at the price of moving slowly? What loot do we keep, and what do we leave behind? Can we even make it out before running out of light, at this rate?
>>
I feel like every time I run a game I'm not doing a good job and not running it how it should be, any live action play or tips you anons could share that could help me?
>>
>>65704608
>I feel like every time I run a game I'm not doing a good job and not running it how it should be

Sounds to me like it's your own mental stress and low self esteem more then anything. How could you possibly be running YOUR GAME the wrong way?
>>
>>65704371
Class = membership of a guild (ie a fighter is a member of the Fighters Guild)

Each guild is a sector of the bigger Adventurer's Guild, this guild gives the quests the players can take
>>
>>65704656
Well, I think I have trouble with being descriptive and keeping the players thinking that they're playing characters in a living breathing world. I fear I'm too focused on rules and such. I'm practicing the descriptive portion whenever I'm driving alone by doing character voices/ideas in my head and describing what I see around me as I drive as if I were describing it to a PC
>>
>>65702707
>REEEE PEOPLE DO SOMETHING I DONT LIKE
>>
>>65704927
>REEEE PEOPLE LITERALLY PLAYING THE GAME WRONG AND SHITTING UP DISCUSSION OF THE GAME
ftfy
>>
>>65704927
Okay Matthew.
>>
>>65704744
Start keeping a commonplace book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonplace_book and read lots of fiction to mine good examples of description from it

Also take in mind that sometimes it's best to be accurate than evocative, see pic related and this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYunaBkn9Ng
>>
File: Zak wars.png (41 KB, 777x762)
41 KB
41 KB PNG
*posts a legally actionable image*

Off to jail I go!
>>
>>65705206
Very cool idea. I do something similar to the book with my phone but I think physical book would be better.

I appreciate the response!
>>
>>65698066
>it's RC which is a compilation of all of BECMI
All of BECM. I was rewritten for it as Wrath of the Immortals.
>>
>>65705151
Hey, leave me out of this
>>
>>65701928
Slayers, Aura Battler Dunbine (technically a mecha show but the setting is medieval and death is a real threat)
>>
>>65705430
how do you run cities anon? genuinely curious, I though vornheim was useful for cities, I did pirate it like everyone else though.

The only other good supplement that also works for cities I've found was Yoon-suin
>>
Do you allow NPC romance in your games? If so, why are you like this?
>>
>>65706428
Yes. Characters have motivations other than finding treasure, especially when they start building holds. They tend to like to marry and make heirs.
The trick is just to not role play it very much. Never had any players try to go adventuring with their wives and can't imagine they would, since that'd put them at huge risk. I'd probably disallow it anyways though, just to avoid any potential problems.
>>
>>65706493
>Characters have motivations other than finding treasure
inb4 FOEGYG
>>
File: sakurako127.jpg (87 KB, 893x895)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
>>65706428
Yell at the players for treating you like a pimp but realize you sat down to play a game where the players can do anything.
>>
File: Player Motivations.png (392 KB, 739x570)
392 KB
392 KB PNG
>>65706493
>Characters have motivations other than finding treasure,
False OSR enthusiast, get ye gone.

>>65706523
Neener neener!
>>
What's your favorite bestiary aside from the default shit?
>>
>>65700284
I’d allow it. However, the party will level more slowly since they’ll have to divide exp between more characters.
>>
>>65706428
As a humane DM I make sure all of my PCs have been neutered at the start of a campaign.
>>
>>65706656
1e Fiend Folio
Dark Sun and Ravenloft MCs
>>
>>65700284

Does anyone know of good airship and glider/sailplane stats for OD&D, Basic Set D&D and OSR Clones thereof?
>>
>>65702673
Sure, the guy hates them and is a traitor, but that doesn't mean they can't work together for mutual benefit.
-The PCs could figure out their lord isn't passing the treasure up the chain and talk to their overlord.
-The PCs can trade gold (which isn't too useful) for valuable contracts, land, military and construction assistance.
>>
>>65706656
Fire On the Velvet Horizon
>>
>>65706656
Veins of the Earth
Fiend Folio
Random blogposts
>>
Thoughts on getting rid of tracking and spending coins. And running a campaign like a roguelite where the new parties are better equipped even if they are all new characters.

Start adventure:
Get X pieces of gear from this list.
Get 1 random potion
Get 1 random spell, weird object, etc...

End Adventure:
Characters return with treasure.
Treasure is divided with an extra share going to the company.
Characters return equipment to company.
Characters go party with their split (gain XP).
Split to company goes into upgrading blacksmith, potion shop, etc...
Finding new potions/spells can discover them to be added to the random list for next time.

Start Adventure:
Next adventure party can get more pieces of gear and random potions/spells etc... (more or re-rolling to get better ones)
>>
>>65707308
FOEGYG
>>
File: 1522594608105.jpg (2.06 MB, 1597x982)
2.06 MB
2.06 MB JPG
>>65707308
The gold = xp = better gear = carefully chosen item economy is pretty core to the OSR experience. Choosing exactly what to bring and what to spend money on is a player skill.
What's to make PCs return equipment. "We lost it," they say, having buried it out back for later retrieval.
It's not a video game. Upgrading other people isn't your job (unless they're hirelings).
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirror_armour
>It was believed that mirrors could reflect the evil eye, so they were polished and worn over other armour.
>>
>>65707864
Putting the Evil Eye on people is an underrated ability.
If you want to make a Witch class (as opposed to a Magic-User or Illusionist) the Evil Eye should be front and centre.
>>
Anyone ever just handwave resource tracking and shit and just use OSR systems cause they're rules light?
>>
>>65707941
I'm all for simplifying resource tracking, but getting rid of it entirely is silly.
Look, it's not all about "I have 9 flasks of water, 3 flasks of oil, a chicken that lays 2 eggs a day..." etc. Inventory and resources are a huge part of a skill-based system.
>>
>>65707941
You need to go back
>>
File: Bae sorcereress.jpg (844 KB, 3508x4961)
844 KB
844 KB JPG
>>65707880

That's how you counter magic.
>>
>>65700284
>this triggers the nu-grognard
>>
>>65708317
Triggers the old grognards too.
>One last note on the idea of “low word count, high content.” Combats were described very minimalistically. “You take four points of damage.” “I hit him for five points.” “He’s still fighting, he still looks pretty strong.”
>Partially, this was because we were all wargamers. If, in playing CHAINMAIL, when two units got into melee, if you started warbling about “swords gleaming in the sun, the hero dodges and executes a deadly stroke” before you rolled each die, people would stare at you like you were demented.
>No, I lie. Somebody would say “Shut the hell up and roll the dice and get on with the game.”
>>
File: so sad.jpg (34 KB, 601x388)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
>Zak still trying to rally the flying monkeys
SAD
>>
>>65708317
>late 2e
>good advice
pick one
>>
>>65708389
>Partially, this was because we were all wargamers. If, in playing CHAINMAIL, when two units got into melee, if you started warbling about “swords gleaming in the sun, the hero dodges and executes a deadly stroke” before you rolled each die, people would stare at you like you were demented.

>wargame
>RPG

Am I supposed to be triggered by any of this? It's common sense to non-autistic types that war-games and RPG's are two separate genre's.

It even says in the third paragraph "This isn't a combat game."
>>
>>65708317
Beautiful.
>>
File: little cow.gif (31 KB, 498x310)
31 KB
31 KB GIF
>>65708389
>Combats were described very minimalistically. “You take four points of damage.” “I hit him for five points.” “He’s still fighting, he still looks pretty strong.”
That's pretty much how I describe combats now, except that I don't tell players how much damage their hits do.
>>
>>65708317
REEEEEEEEEEEE, WHERE'S MY HEXAGONAL GRID MAPPING AND FACING RULES!
>>
2e was far more FOE than WOTC published editions and there isn't anything you can do to change my mind. 5e is more of an old school game than 2e.
>>
File: qchabrjwc9s21.jpg (2.17 MB, 3024x4032)
2.17 MB
2.17 MB JPG
I have some extra cash. Should I buy a copy of DCC?
>>
>>65708687
Sure, it's solid. Also, Old School Essentials Kickstarter is up if you're interested in that.
>>
>>65708469
>Am I supposed to be triggered by any of this?
Um, no? I'm saying Mornard strongly disagrees with >>65708317's suggestion to make combat vivid.
>>
>>65708687
You should buy a copy of The Merchant's Heart™, available on RPGnow™ and DriveThruRPG™
>>
>>65708737
As will all things the reality lies in the middle. During actual play full blown cinematic gameplay would heavily slow things and leave players confused about what they can actually do on their turn.
>>
>>65708795
With*
>>
>>65708737
Mornard sounds like an absolute black retard gorilla nog if he's trying to make some sort of non-sequitur connecting war gaming to RPG's.

Your point is pretty irrelevant to the conversation. Not sure what you're even saying, actually.
>>
>>65706635
I genuinely had no idea what FOEGYG stood for. I finally understand. Thank you.
>>
>>65709144
Shut the fuck up Pasty
>>
File: 94a.jpg (42 KB, 600x500)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>65709255
Make me fuckboy.
>>
>>65708687
Yeah! It's good fun, and even if you don't use every rule system in there, there's some great art and fun ideas to be found.
>>
>>65708789
>Wah wah wah skerples shills too much
>Buy my deliberately shit module
Buzzclaw yourself
>>
>>65709393
>>Wah wah wah skerples™ shills too much
>>Buy my deliberately shit™ module
>Buzzclaw™ yourself
FTFY™
>>
I'm attaching the text for the next /osrg/ study group and anticipating a captivating discussion!
>>
Your player wants to trick a charging bull into hitting a wall by dodging at the last second. How do you do it?
>>
>>65709582
Save vs. petrification
>>
>>65709582
If they win initiative, it works. If not they get a facefull of bull.
>>
>>65709582
Save to dodge. If successful, bull does damage equal to itself equal to its normal charge damage.
>>
>>65709582
I tell them to stand up with their back to the wall while I charge at them
>>
>>65708737
>suggestions to make combat vivid

The suggestion is to make player's imaginations become reality. What's more exciting? Saying that you hit the Goblin for 4 damage, or "push-kicking the goblin through the decayed wooden railing, causing him to scream as he plummets into darkness"?

Making combat "vivid" isn't fluff. In a Roleplaying game, all fluff is in the game. It's a part of the world. If you use a sword of sharpness to "chop off a limb," that character isn't just suffering from some penalties to stats, he's missing an arm. If you throw a torch into pool of oil, the oil ignites. If you start singing in a Tavern, you're likely to get some other drunkards singing along with you and potentially start a mob.

Do you know how to play TTRPG's?
>>
>>65709538
Whatever city warrants an encounter table like this deserves to be burned and the ashes scattered to the four winds. It's clearly cursed.
>>
>>65709670
That's racist. Night Hags are valuable contributors to the local economy.
>>
>>65709538
>only a 4% chance of a monster encounter during the day (giant rats, wererats, werewolves, weretigers); lycanthropes would presumably be in human form
>24% of monster at night; only a 3-4% (depending on how you count night hags) of a fiendish encounter; 6% of an undead; 6% for a lycanthrope

>>65709658
>"push-kicking the goblin through the decayed wooden railing, causing him to scream as he plummets into darkness"
That's not exciting, that's boring purple prose
>>
>>65709670
Genocide Paladin's are my specialty.
>>
>>65709762
>That's not exciting, that's boring purple prose
Objectively wrong. Because it happened in the game world, it's not prose. Try to keep up retard.
>>
>>65709538
Only a 7% chance (0% at day!) of undead?
>>
>>65709762
>6% of an undead
1% Ghast/Ghoul
1% Ghost
1% Shadow
1% Spectre
1% Wight
1% Wraith
1% Vampire/Lich
>>
>>65707308
I dunno, finding cool treasure (and even better, finding cool uses for treasure) is a pretty big part of OSR IMO. Much like figuring out how to spend it.

You could always simplify the boring shit like living expenses, small change and all that.
>>
>>65708317
Skip Williams is false editions, excommunicate and declared heretical. True AD&D only, fuck off with that Skip and Penny.
>>
>>65708561
In another book that the same (((editor))) ruined the same year, with the same black cover. Oh someone wrote a good yearbook sometime between 1989 and 1996, I'd better edit it and make it worse and we'll put a black cover on it and print it for cheap with lots of errors and missing pages.
>>
>>65709658
>>65709762
>>65709790
With some types of game I do think more flowery descriptions are in order, but in OSR I'd argue very minimal descriptions are effective. At some point flair turns into obfuscation, and the objective of a OSR or arguably trad game in general is not to create something aesthetically appealing or narratively engaging. You chiefly want the players to be able to make informed decisions, whether it's in a "player skill" situation or if they're "roleplaying".
>>
>>65709921
>lots of errors and missing pages
Proofs?
>>
>>65709931
>>65709921
>>65709900
>young-fags pretending to be oldfags

Yikes and cringe
>>
>>65709931
>and the objective of a OSR or arguably trad game in general is not to create something aesthetically appealing or narratively engaging
You have to be 18 years or older to post here, sonny.
>>
>>65710076
You literally just posted a part of the rulebook describing what roleplaying is to a public that presumably would have never played them and then pretending it in any way adresses the point people are raising.

In case that's the specific bit you're talking about, there are ways to be immersive without breaking out the thesaurus every combat
>>
>>65709658
There is a place and time for "you hit the goblin - six damage", a place and time for "your dagger slices the goblin's arm - six damage", and a place and time for "your blade slices into the goblin's arm, sending droplets of blood flying everywhere, staining your armor and wrist - six damage".

Detailed prose needs to contrast with simple, quick, efficient descriptions in order to shine.
>>
>>65709883
Characters could keep special items or donate to let any party under the company bring it out (get XP for payout).

Thinking of 1d6 gold living expenses and anything under 1 gold is free.
>>
Do you have your players roleplay their own hirelings or do you take care of that as the DM?
>>
>>65710149
You'll have a very, very hard time convincing anyone in this general that OSR games are about story or beauty. Even if you personally value those qualities, the game system and its original intent put more weight in things like player skill and immersion
>>
>>65710196
I (the ref) do it. I would never let them do it, that defeats the entire concept of a hireling. They're just playing multiple characters at that point.
>>
>>65710214
I'd argue (pedantically) that OSR games are more about EMERGENT story opposed to narrative story, rather than not being about story.
>>
>>65710196
Hirelings need to be handled by the GM because otherwise they're just extra PCs. Hirelings are usually self-interested, that's why they need to get paid and are subject to morale/loyalty. The level of control the players have over them comes from them being their character's employees
>>
>>65710254
I've also seen it explained as D&D being a picaresque. Those tend to be very grounded and revolve around the random-ass events happening around the protagonists rather than following any traditional structure, overarching plot or even character development
>>
>>65707941
Yes, there are lots of FOEs
>>
File: cursed ring.png (3.33 MB, 6412x6390)
3.33 MB
3.33 MB PNG
>>65710196
By the GM. Otherwise players will just use them to do stupid dangerous stuff.
>>
>>65710165
>There is a place and time for "you hit the goblin - six damage", a place and time for "your dagger slices the goblin's arm - six damage", and a place and time for "your blade slices into the goblin's arm, sending droplets of blood flying everywhere, staining your armor and wrist - six damage".
The player knows how much damage he rolled. He doesn't need to be told he does six damage. Secondly, telling the player how much damage they do increasingly pushes the player toward mechanical play and not roleplaying.

Even saying "You strike the goblin," is better than saying, "You strike the goblin for 4 damage." You also don't want to simply give players information that they shouldn't know, like how much damage resistance a creature exactly has, what avoids its damage reduction, what keeps it from regenerating, etc. That's just poor DM'ing, since you're giving them meta-information they would other-wise have no clue about, unless they specifically researched the creature in question, and even then it wouldn't say how much the creature is "weak" to a specific element, the players would simply learn things like. "It's somewhat resistant to electricity" or "it's moderately resistant to electricity" or "it's immune to electricity."

The fact that enemies like Beholder's had specific parts of their body that could be targeted and damaged independently, and enemies like the Hydra and the Troll, which in 2nd edition specifically stated that it had thin limbs and it was possible to sever them, all gave winks and nods to the DM that "yes, combat can be used creatively", along with every single edition straight-up telling players and the DM alike that you should exercise your imagination more than the rules. No one is talking about "flowery prose."

They're talking about doing other things than saying "I attack," which, as I've stated, has been an active part of D&D since its inception.
>>
>>65710214
>You'll have a very, very hard time convincing anyone in this general that OSR games are about story or beauty
The story is the one that you create, and the role you played, so the entire game was singularly about "story." "Immersion" was interacting with the world in interesting and imaginative ways, not getting better stats.
>>
>>65710396
>damage reduction
False OSR

>2nd edition
Yikes!
>>
>>65710396
My example originally said "the goblin hits you"; I switched it around and forgot to remove that part. I agree with you, that would be nonsensical; there's no much point to repeating something the player already knows, but holy shit you're making a mountain out of a molehill. It's a minor detail and not the point of my post.
>>
>>65710396
>They're talking about doing other things than saying "I attack,"
You're moving goalposts and strawmanning, you don't need 30-second failed fantasy novel excerpts to push a goblin off a ledge
>>
>>65709670
The city has certainly become less friendly but in terms of inhabitants it actually used to be a lot worse.
>>
>>65710446
I literally agree with everything you said, so I think you might be misunderstanding my post.
> interacting with the world in interesting and imaginative ways
I know. That's why I brought immersion up. Immersion and narrative cohesiveness are not often compatible goals unless the system is made with that in mind (e.g Apocalypse World). Take a game like HIllfolk or Primetime Adventures: you're almost a screenwriter in those. Primetime Adventures even prominently features TV terminology and Hillfolk is explicitly for mimicking HBO dramas. The goal is to make a good story, but at the price of having absolutely 0 immersion (because the game prioritizes using characters to drive the story as opposed to acting "in-character"). I never even brought up "getting better stats".

You also seem to be defining story differently than I am. I mean a literal narrative structure, not an account of what happened during the game.
>>
>>65710475
>false OSR
Dipshit confirmed. I have the 2e monster manual right in front of me. Skeletons suffered half damage from piercing or slashing weapons. Damage Reduction has been a thing, junior. Nice cope though.
>>
>>65701407
Is this Skerples?
>>
File: who can say.gif (240 KB, 200x150)
240 KB
240 KB GIF
>>65710591
Nah.
>>
>>65710538
>you don't need 30-second failed fantasy novel excerpts to push a goblin off a ledge
Nice strawman junior, I can already tell you're the type of autist that finds insane amounts of butthurt in enemies have personalities and expression of their own. Do you by any chance take medication daily?
>>
>>65710591
Skerples uses Office 2007 not 2013.
>>
>>65710512
>mountain out of a molehill

In case you haven't realized, rules-lawyers are a form of "That Guy" and should be shamed at every waking moment of their life until they learn.

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Rules_lawyers
>>
>>65710591
The layout is too nice for an skerples work. Skerples also wouldn't use color, he'd use several shades of gray and bolding for the bits of it in the text. That example board, rather than being filled by hand in an image editor, would be a piece of an Excel worksheet copied and pasted. The usage of a serif font also gives it away. Inexplicable grey borders are typical but not necessary.
>>
>>65710797
The sample board was lifted from the previous thread. You other comments are on-point though.
>>
File: life moves fast.gif (691 KB, 230x121)
691 KB
691 KB GIF
>>65710797
>>65710702
You people need to get out more.
>>
>>65710816 https://youtu.be/O-kHB2fWUS8
>>
>>65710797
>Inexplicable grey borders are typical but not necessary.
Oh I can explain those. I use a filled-in border, usually with a colour, to help break up segments in a work-in-progress document. So the bestiary might be green, the maps might be red, etc. Just helps keep sections separate for long documents. I forget to remove them sometimes.
I'm also moving everything (slowly) over to Affinity Publisher. It's pretty useful.
>>
>>65708450
>>65709900
>>65709921
>>65710214
>>65710475
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Rule_Zero
>>
>>65708317
What are you talking about? A dude in the last thread got flamed for saying "I attack" and hit.

This plays is full of nu-grognard.
>>
>>65709900
>True AD&D only
You mean the game that says the exact same thing?
>>
>>65709943
My copy of the DM's Option book is like this, extra chapters in place of the missing chapters. Duplicate pages over and over.
>>
>>65710940
>extra chapters in place of missing chapters
Which chapter is missing? Is it not in the index?
>>
2e is best edition
>>
>>65710867
Be not a niggard of your thought. We would include your "Rule Zero" in True AD&D if it were remotely relevant to the game. You lack this knowledge, most likely due to the paltriness of your intellect.
>>
>>65710983
It's definitely up there.
>>
>>65710963
You know how books are made out of 32-page signatures? There's no 65th page, it just repeats page 33 etc. over again.
>>
>>65710917
>A dude in the last thread got flamed
Are you possibly remembering? It garnered 5 responses,

>serious answer
>>65691790
>>65691810
>>65691916

>facetious retort
>>65691968

>starting shit
>>65691791*

And that last one wasn't about amount of description.
It was about the player rolling the die before declaring the attack.
>>
>>65711004
>In Basic D&D in 1980, the book says on the first page:
""Anything in this booklet (and other D&D booklets) should be thought of as changeable -- anything, that is, that the DM thinks should be changed... The purpose of these 'rules' is to provide guidelines that enable you to play and have fun, so don't feel absolutely bound to them."

>In AD&D, the player's handbook has on page 8:
"This game is unlike chess in that the rules are not cut and dried. In many places they are guidelines and suggested methods only."

Roleplay on D&D, not on /tg/ please. We can all tell you're a nu-fag.
>>
>>65711022
I think you have a misprint. Not in my Revised Edition DMG 2E
>>
>>65710867
>"DM fiat is everything!"
>DM falls to Cultural Marxism
>summons a Nubian genie
>rapes your characters in the asses (unable to refuse consent, DM fiat)
>forced alignment chance to Neutral Homosexual for all PCs
>draw dicks on their character sheets over the PC portraits
>shred character sheets if anyone protests one's dictates
>>
>>65711069
>Cultural Marxism
Retard alert, back to your containment board >>>/pol/
>>
>>65711069
Was this post supposed to have a point exactly? Are player's tied up in a DM's basement?
>>
I will never understand why people play 1e or 2 by the book and don't just play either B/X or RC or OD&D with the stuff they actually like from AD&D tacked on. AD&D is a horrible little mess and it isn't fun to play as is.
>>
File: pick your friends.png (11 KB, 419x243)
11 KB
11 KB PNG
>>65711069
>>
>>65701386
Don't build the whole world, build your initial hex and a few around it. Work outward as your players go.
>>
>>65711034
Gygax is the final authority on AD&D. AD&D is a serious tournament game. D&D is a distinct game that supports free-wheeling alterations. AD&D is ironclad. The only authority is Gygax. It is chess. He is Hoyle. Francois Marcela-Froideval and Frank Mentzer are the only inheritors of the game.
>>
>>65711111
That's why I never let my players roll up Nubians. You guys have some good qualities, granted—see in the dark, detect ghosts…but the tendency toward chaos is destructive to party dynamics.
>>
>>65711095
2E isn't that much of a mess. Very few house-rules are needed in comparison to things like 3rd, 4th, and 5th, because they were already options.
>>
>>65711034
And I can tell you're a paid shill forcing the "there's no such thing as AD&D!" meme just so you can "take back" the one bastion of free thought in gaming. Back when women were weak and had no Strength. You hate that don't you. Have to scatter the languages of AD&D like Babel, thwart progress among men.
>>
>>65710558

>Evil H.P.

Is there any other kind of Lovecraft?
>>
>>65710860
The source on that image is pretty farcical.
https://www.haaretz.com/jewish/1.5408457
>>
>>65710587
>>65710659
>>65710731
>>65710867
>>65711111
>quotes 2e, 1d4chan, and a dumb nerdpost to justify a paragraph of description for every attack
cringeola
>>
>>65711179
If you played 2e core only with absolutely no optional rules then sure it may very well be a good game. The problem is that no one plays that way, and what they play may on paper be referred to as "AD&D 2nd Edition" but in reality they are playing the beta test of 3.0. Late stage 2e had worse splat and feature bloat than 3e ever did. The only good thing that came from 2e is that it is backwards compatible with basic editions so there's lifetimes of material to put in your B/X sessions.
>>
>>65711207
Evil High Priest. More commonly abbreviated as EHP.
Lovecraft was probably Neutral or at worst Law aligned.

>>65711236
OK first off, that's my dumb nerdpost.
And second off I defended terse descriptions up-thread.

>>65711111 was a response to >>65711069 specifically.
Context be damned.
>>
>>65710731
Face it snowflake, the best pencil and paper RPG in the world is AD&D and men and women will never be equal in it because that's the way it's written and it's immutable.
>>
>>65711231
Can't access. Screenshot?
>>
>>65711294
Let's work on our CHA anon.
>>
>>65711125
Gygax was "co-creator" and also a rules-lawyering "that guy" who made his children cry.

2nd Edition, the one most often considered the "best" edition, wasn't even written by Gygax.

>AD&D is ironclad.
1e? Sure. Nothing else though.

>Francois Marcela-Froideval and Frank Mentzer are the only inheritors of the game.
The truth of the matter is, the game became popular and stable and well-written only after Gygax wasn't involved anymore.
>>
>>65711188
What the literal fuck are you going on about?
>>
>>65711333
Work on your fake outrage so you can take out the next Frank Mentzer who rises up to give you gold, snowflake.
>>
>>65711353
Excuse me you fucking faggot, your faggot do-nothing hero Dave Arneson literally made Ernie cry and it's documented. Did you scour all traces of it from the internet as he mocked Gygax for dying to his son's face? How'd that work out for him, isn't that cocksucker dead now too?
>>
>>65711125
>goes on and on about how you can't change anything in the rules
>ends up complaining about weaponless combat in his own system at the very end and suggestions on rules-lawyering it

Fucking kek
>>
>>65711353
Zeb Cook stole 2E from Gygax in 1985 and called it Oriental Adventures after he slapped it onto the framework of Francois' manuscript. Released it again in 1989 with nice black & cyan print but cut out all the Chinamen.
>>
>>65711390
>your faggot do-nothing hero Dave Arneson literally made Ernie cry and it's documented. Did you scour all traces of it from the internet as he mocked Gygax for dying to his son's face? How'd that work out for him, isn't that cocksucker dead now too?
You're making a lot of assumptions about shit I never said. Maybe take a chill pill little snowflake, okay? Don't get too mad or you might melt.
>>
>>65711417
And if the evil Lorraine Williams and Blumes hadn't ousted him, we would have gotten those improvements. Now the system remains time-locked like some Doctor Who shit.
>>
>>65711434
Yes the rest of the post was quite good.
>>
>>65711425
He was hired by TSR to make 2E, you fucking retard.
>>
>>65711449
Stop playing AD&D 1E then?
>>
>>65711417
Sorry, not "rules-lawyering", I meant "house-ruling."

Gygax was not the sole contributor or creator of D&D and Rule 0 dates back all the way to AD&D and Basic D&D, so it seems like he wrote that as his own personal blogpost to cry about people not liking some of the obtuse and vague fucking rules they had to decipher and the other designer's insistence that as a roleplaying game there would be necessity for players to adjudicate.
>>
File: 1548617329241.png (137 KB, 812x302)
137 KB
137 KB PNG
>>65711326
https://pastebin.com/raw/Z0n91LNz
>>
>>65707960
>a chicken that lays 2 eggs a day.
This is literally a high-tier treasure item. If you could keep that chicken alive and successfully breed it, you could revolutionize pseudo-medieval food production. People would kill you and then each other over this chicken.
>>
>>65701928
Read Dungeon Meshi, nigga.
>>
>>65703165
Wildernesses are wildernesses.
Wildernesses are not the underworld.
The underworld is not wildernesses.
The underworld is the underworld.

>Grimgar Ashes and Illusions
It was pretty bad.
Only watched that one for the watercolor backgrounds.
>>
File: La_Gran_Tenochtitlan.jpg (3.29 MB, 5434x2529)
3.29 MB
3.29 MB JPG
>>65702024
>>
>>65711884
Thanks, much appreciated. I've seen those things in the wild before but it was nice to have a, err, review.
>>65711921
Fair point.
I wonder what would have happened if the Rhea or the Emu made it to Europe just a few centuries earlier.
>>
Let me get this straight
"1e" or "first edition" refers to AD&D 1e right? Not B/X? And 2e refers to AD&D 2e
>>
>>65712834
no. 1e is holmes. The first edition of kiddie dnd
and 2e is b/x the second edition of kiddie dnd
OD&D is original dungeons and dragons.
>>
>>65712834
OD&D/0e = original
Holmes Basic = restructure of 0e, meant to lead into AD&D
1e = AD&D
2e = redo of AD&D
BX/Moldvay = Redo and expansion of Holmes Basic into its own game
BECMI/Mentzer = another redo and expansion
Rules Cyclopedia/RC = compiling of a lot of BECMI into one tome
>>
>>65710196
I let the players run them until they try to have a hireling do something he would object to; then I roll the dice, or tell them what the hireling says.

There's no reason not to let the player just say what their apprentice or hired sword does as long as it's not ridiculous, it just wastes time with convoluted phrasings and "okay, he does that".
>>
Any tips on running ASE in a more scifi campaign?
>>
File: x9u9i959p8q21.jpg (5.41 MB, 2101x2877)
5.41 MB
5.41 MB JPG
>>65713498
What sort of tone are you going with? Genre/related media?

Focus on detail and style. Sure, a proton sword might not do more damage than a regular sword but if you describe it just right it'll be everyone's favorite item.

Figure out what you want to do with the resource economy. Torches might be out. Rations? How abundant is healing?

Write a table for Why Your Replacement PC Is In The Dungeon.
>>
>>65712996
>OD&D/0e
>0e
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb3WyTPix4Y
Pretty much no one refers to AD&D as 1e, except when differentiating it from 2e.
In an actual accounting of editions 1st edition AD&D is either* the 3rd or 2nd edition of D&D, and OD&D is 1st edition.

*depending on whether you count Holmes as separate from OD&D

>restructure of 0e,
Yes.
>meant to lead into AD&D
No.

Holmes was published while AD&D was in the pipes, so the editors swapped all mentions to D&D with AD&D.
But Holmes was meant to lead into OD&D.
>>
>>65710983
It's the worst TSR edition and only spared from being the overall worst by what a car crash 3.X is.
>>
File: giants.png (367 KB, 500x467)
367 KB
367 KB PNG
>>65712834
pic related is a good way to think about the editions
>>
File: giants.png (396 KB, 500x467)
396 KB
396 KB PNG
>>65713957
*Ahem*
>>
>>65711353
>2nd Edition, the one most often considered the "best" edition
Not in the OSR, it's not. But of course you knew that already, since you're just here to shitpost.
>>
>>65713991
It's what most of the people who still play 1st party TSR D&D are playing you DiyD&Dler.
>>
>>65714031
>It's what most of the people who still play 1st party TSR D&D are playing
I don't know whether or not this is true, but it does have the advantage of being more recent than most of the other TSR editions.
>>
>>65714214
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>65714031
Irrelevant. It's not what most of the people who play OSR D&D are playing, since it's not an old-school edition and requires a bunch of work to no benefit to be brought up to an OSR standard.
>>
File: THERC.jpg (190 KB, 500x467)
190 KB
190 KB JPG
>>65713986
>excuse me coming through
>>
File: THERC.jpg (211 KB, 500x467)
211 KB
211 KB JPG
>>65714257
I have improved on your original design.
>>
>>65713498
ASE is pretty fun. Best of luck.
>>
>>65713695
Nice one-page dungeon. I can use that.
>>
File: RCO008_1468145331.jpg (735 KB, 1226x1600)
735 KB
735 KB JPG
>>65714883
Thanks. Mad Magazine #24. For some reason the Television Room description is censored out in that image, but I found an uncensored version.
>>
>>65714965
>censored out
Oddly enough the other anon's version seems to be a photo of the original. It's not censored out, that caption tag has merely come off. You can see that the Crew's Quarters one is ripped as well, all of the tags' outlines show, and the black inking of the background is less even (or if you prefer, more visible). It's also missing the SCIENCE DEPT. header which presumably was a standard typographical element added later in the issue's construction.
>>
File: RCO017_1468145331.jpg (622 KB, 1226x1600)
622 KB
622 KB JPG
>>65715214
Well huh. Excellent detective work. That makes much more sense. "Jack Gleason" always threatened to sue them in the letters pages (Zak didn't invent LEGALLY ACTIONABLE), but I was baffled by the idea that someone would censor the text.
>>
>>65711125
>Francois Marcela-Froideval and Frank Mentzer are the only inheritors of the game.

I thought /osrg/ didn’t like BECMI?
>>
>>65715543
we dont like the organization of it and ... that's not our only need with it, but its the only big one.
there are two or three faggots in here who swear their oaths in court on the rules cyclopedia.
>>
>>65715746
Can confirm; am one of those faggots.

I definitely see the point of the B/X partisans, and I'm probably buying into the OSE Kickstarter box set, but the RC is just so... complete. So good. It's literally all I ever wanted out of a D&D product, and the fact that it has some problems that need houseruling, well, so what? What edition (what game) doesn't, really? Frankly I think it's a bigger problem that they had Dykstra do art for it instead of using the B/W Elmore art they already had, or paying him to do new pieces. Elmore is a much better pen-and-ink artist than painter IMO, one of many, many guys who stiffen in paint.
>>
>>65715746
>>65715958
RCs biggest issue would be organization obviously but as a rules reference for playing d&d I find it hard to beat. So easy to take out the few bad things like the strange weapon system and the mystic.
>>
>>65716058
The mystic was fine.
Unlike M mystics, RC mystics only get 9HD.
But also unlike M mystics, RC mystics' abilities scale by level instead of HD.

An RC mystics starting at level 1 can, with average level up success, keep pace with any othet level 1 PCs up through master levels.
>>
>>65716114
Mystic has thief skills along with a whole other set of vaguely defined acrobatic abilities. Not to mention the damage is not the least bit balanced. Don't get me wrong I think it's cool I just would prefer to rework the whole class ever since actually allowing a player to run one.
>>
>>65713695
I'm going for a sillier sort of tone, kind of a wild west/bounty hunter type of campaign. I'm deeply inspired by Borderlands style and tone, and Heavy Metal/Metal Hurlant.

I'm running it using Stars Without Number, so the apocalyptic event in ASE is actually the Scream. Wizards are feral psychics and the ambitious that have discovered strange power in the Pre-tech ruins. This has made the planet a gold rush for those seeking wealth, power, Psychic and Pre-tech research.

Haven't decided on resource economy yet. Healing is available in the main city of Denethix from barely understood jury rigged Pre-tech, and scavenged/black market stims.
>>
>>65716737
Fun times. Have you checked out Ultraviolet Grasslands? Might be right up your alley.
>>
>>65702673
skerples tax system is trash and used as a crutch by weak GMs who don't have two braincells to figure out how to deal with high roller player characters
>>
>>65717135
It's not really designed to be used as a crutch. If anything, it creates more work for a GM and introduces more problems.
The hope is that it creates interesting problems.
>>
>>65714256
Says a retard who wouldn't know an old-school edition if it hit him over the head with a footman's mace
>>
>>
>>
Matthew Colville just posted a thing about players being dicks. I agree with most of the broad strokes of the video, but...

He argued that a PC thief being able to steal a PC cleric's holy symbol and ransom it back is partly the fault of the players but also a flaw in the game design of old school D&D.

It doesn't seem like a design flaw to me, because there's such an easy in-game answer to the problem.

"He stole from the party? Fuck, we can't twist this guy. Guess the rest of us better team up and kill him and split his stuff."

Seems like it would break the player of that habit quickly.
>>
>>65719593
>He argued that a PC thief being able to steal a PC cleric's holy symbol and ransom it back is partly the fault of the players but also a flaw in the game design of old school D&D.
That's 100% the fault of newschool play-acting though. Old school optimal decision-making would make the thief player know that's a retarded idea.
>>
File: DendeWhiteMage.png (1.18 MB, 640x480)
1.18 MB
1.18 MB PNG
>>65719593
Does 5E have a mechanical solution to that problem? Inviolate PC inventories?

Anyway, who in the world would ransom a cleric's holy symbol? Nobody fucks with the white mage.
>>
What are your favorite tables/mechanics for wasting time outside the dungeon, other than random encounters? (i.e. while you spend a few days healing back to full, or wait for your spells to come back, or return to town frequently, the monsters have a X in Y chance of getting Z reinforcements, shit like that that makes "5 minute work days" equivalent not viable)
>>
>>65719735
I use rapid healing and spells have rarely been a limiting factor. Mostly monster reinforcements, rival parties, bad weather, and factionalism.
>>
>>65719593
That fat fuck is lying out of his ass if he thinks that mentality was more common back in the 80s than it is now. I've played with roughly 10 groups of people who play 5e in the last year or two and I've seen PvP theft with 4 of those groups. I think I've seen petty PvP combat or theft outside of 5e maybe half a dozen times in the 30 years I've played D&D.
>>
>>65719593
The thing is that's not a problem. The famous story of Gary's kid getting his character killed and his shit stolen is an example. If it's obnoxious and the character had friends, the thief can expect the consequences to be pretty dire.
People actually tend to like a bit of inter-party conflict, it keeps things interesting. Especially with everyone wanting to copy Game of Thrones nowadays, how do they expect that kind of shit to happen without some tensions between party members? It doesn't have to be full on combat to the death, but disagreements are expected. You don't need everyone to be conquering purely through the power of fucking friendship.
>>
>>65719864
Probably varies in seriousness too. All my OSR groups agree to split treasure; all of them have PCs with suspiciously bulging pockets and mysteriously light offerings at treasure-division time. So it goes.

In the pirate group the Captain had a few crewmembers executed for theft which was pretty hilarious.
>>
File: Cheroot.jpg (38 KB, 447x220)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>65702707
Bingo! My sentiments exactly. You definitely deserve a Cheroot! :-)
>>
>>65702967
What's funny is Matt Mercer kind of agrees.
>>
>>65720204
>>65702967
Well, yeah?
5E does a really good job at supporting that sort of game. That's not a bad thing. It's just not particularly relevant in the OSR thread.
>>
>>65716950
I have, it looks awesome
>>
>>65720542
Grand. I'm probably going to be running it once the veins game winds down and the survivors retire.
>>
>>65720540
Agreed. I basically love OSR, 5e, and weird full narrativist indie shit for different reasons.

It's a little weird to me that there are people who only like one kind.

Then again it's also weird to me that there are people who are totally gay or totally straight so maybe I just like having options.
>>
>>65719654
No, you can do it in 5e too. If you're a brainless idiot.
>>
Is voice acting inherently FOE?
>>
>>65719593
realistically there is (or should be) a social contract in these sorts of games that PvP is not what we're here for, so don't go around doing things like this. A player who starts nicking stuff from their comrades is just being a disruptive little shit, which is an OOC problem with their expectations for the game. You need to handle it like any other case where a player refuses to engage with the game in front of them in good faith.
FWIW PvP conflict in ttrpgs absolutely *can* work, but not in something on the D&D mold, where the system doesn't really give you the tools to engage with this sort of conflict in a satisfying way.
>>
>>65721253
I don't know about inherently, but in all cases I can think of, yes.
>>
>>65712475
The wilderness isn't always the underworld, but it could be. You'd just need something else to play the wilderness's role of transition between the surface world and the underworld.

>>65713695
>Why Your Replacement PC Is In The Dungeon
If you've got one of these for standard fantasy, I'm interested
>>
>>65720540
It might be irrelevant the day that D&D 5e isn't the single most popular ttrpg on the market. It might be irrelevant when players stop looking at Critical Role as the way the game is supposed to be played. It might be irrelevant when questions clearly influenced by both are no longer asked in these threads. The idea that the OSR exists apart from these in any significant way is a quaint notion.
>>
>>65719593
>fault of the game and players
Nah, it's 100% the GM's fault. As a GM you must either explicitly allow inter-party conflict/backstabbing/betrayal/etc in your game, no holds barred (Paranoia style, up to killing the thief as you say in your example) or explicitly disallow it (with some exceptions, like "both players are OK with it because they think it'd be interesting conflict"). If you leave it up in the air you invite people to try and guess whether you're allowed to be a dick, the answer to which is invariably different from table to table.

>>65719773
How does bad weather and factionalism factor in?
>>
>>65719633
That's a ridiculous assertion. New school gaming can be held responsible for some of the ills of overwrought characterizations and other bad habits. Saying new school gaming is responsible for players acting like idiots or outside the bounds of common sense is totally biased and dismisses that people have acted like idiots since before we had a word for it.
There is always some mong that thinks he's got a brilliant scheme that involves fucking over another party member. That is a fact agnostic to editions and play styles.
>>
>>65721253
so while FOE is a stupid notion that has no bearing on whether something is good for the game...
Voice acting doesn't normally add anything to the game; you can achieve much better characterisation by considering the vocabulary and speech patterns of your character (do they swear much? use slang? use archaic words? use much jargon? use shitty grammar? etc etc). It forces you to think about your PCs mannerisms and how they'd have picked them up; things like social status, personality, etc. If you don't care about characterisation (which is also fine), why are you bothering doing a silly voice at all?
>>
>>65719593
It's a damn shame Arneson's old alignment rules are lost.
>>
>>65706282

https://www.lastgaspgrimoire.com/in-corpathium/

All day, every day.
>>
>>65702763
AS&SH, don't let the big book scare you, well over half of it is spells, monster, and treasure lists. Simpler than AD&D but crunchier than B/X. Pig-faced Orcs. Radium Pistols. Everything a growing boy needs
>>
>>65721726
t. newschooler on damage control
>>
>>65722031
Was just about to post this, my last campaign was a thieves guild game run in Corpathium, changed the name cause I don't like how Corpathium sounds.
>>
>>65722404
Case in point, an OSR player being an idiot
>>
>>65721726

whats really bizarre to me is that being a fucking sperg used to be normal and just a thing you had to deal with but all of a sudden being a sperg in dnd is a problem
>>
File: Grammarnazilogo.png (13 KB, 500x600)
13 KB
13 KB PNG
>>65719981
>inter-party conflict

>>65721709
>inter-party conflict/backstabbing/betrayal/etc

Intra, not inter. Inter-party would be between parties, like if your party had a fight with another party. Intra-party is within a single party.
>>
>>65720730
How is that weird? Do you fuck beasts as well? Cars? Aren't you just drawing a different line?
>>
>>65722980

t. sperg
>>
>>65723110
I used it in that definition. If you're not familiar, the story I referenced was two different parties fighting over a magic item. But I guess I shouldn't expect anything from someone trying to enforce English grammar on a Laotion cobbling forum.
>>
Just bought a 5e book because it's pretty, ask me anything
>>
>>65723336
why would you give your money to Wizards (who have plenty already) rather than supporting somebody smaller?
>>
>>65723403
I do both. I'd love to get more physical copies of smaller scale stuff, but this pretty much always means importing which means paying exorbitant amounts of money in shipping to my shithole country. Latest example being Old School Essentials, I can't be playing almost twice the price of the book in shipping alone.
>>
>>65723336
Which book?
>>
>>65723336
What book was it?

If it's not sufficiently pretty, I will mock you, as should everyone.
>>
>>65719593
numale DM invents non-problem to solve
more news at 11
>>
>>65723856
Monster Manual
>>
>>65723267
Not animals. Cars? I haven't wanted to but I also probably would if I got the urge.
>>
>>65721584
>If you've got one of these for standard fantasy, I'm interested.
https://coinsandscrolls.blogspot.com/2017/03/osr-table-of-replacement-pcs.html
>>
>>65700284
How does this post make you feel /osrg/?

>>65725512
>>
>>65726818
Too long didn't read.
>>
File: ISHYGDDT.jpg (91 KB, 377x449)
91 KB
91 KB JPG
>>65726818
>WOTCucks and Paizodrones eating shit
I feel nothing
>>
>>65726818
>tonal fidelity
you talk like a fag and your shits all retarded
>>
File: download (2).jpg (10 KB, 224x224)
10 KB
10 KB JPG
>>65726944
What I'd do, is just like... ha ha... like... aha... you know, like, you know what I mean, like... haha...
>>
>>65724914
Favorite art from the book?
>>
>>65727066
Kenku, Ice Devil, Death Tyrant, Flumph, Djinni, Hook Horror are all really cool. Still haven't had the time to fully appreciate all the art, though.
>>
>>65719735
Deadly monster known as "humans" that realize the easiest way to acquired fat chests of gold is to take them from Bozos who haul them out of dangerous dungeons.
>>
>>65727360
Better hope the bozos who come out of the dungeon successfully didn't find any powerful magic weapons to use on you.
>>
I'm warming up to OSR, what's a good fantasy system that doesn't use THAC0 and isn't DCC?
>>
>>65727654
ACKS
>>
>$63,784
>pledged of $16,966 goal
w-wow
>>
>>65727654
You realize it takes all of 3 seconds to convert THAC0 to a to hit modifier, right? Likewise for converting descending up ascending AC.

GYG
>>
>>65727929
Giving more than the goal shouldn't be allowed. If they want more than they just lied about the goal.
>>
>>65727654
Beyond the Wall
>>
File: beeple-01-20-19.jpg (1.7 MB, 1920x2400)
1.7 MB
1.7 MB JPG
>>65727654
Basic Fantasy RPG, Fantastic Heroes & Witchery, and Lamentations of the Flame Princess all use ascending AC (because it is superior).
>>
Aspiring GM that never played a single game in here: How seriously do you take distances and movement when running theater of the mind? How do you keep track of it?

Also: when a random encounter comes up and results in a non-trivial battle: do you make up "props" for the battle on the fly, or maybe roll for them somewhere? I mean characteristics of the battlefield that can be used in the fight.
>>
>>65729111
Not very. Generally I have concepts of close/medium/far, but that's it. I keep track of that just with my head.
I don't make up props, that sounds fucking retarded. The dungeon is already there, just because you didn't expect a fight in that room doesn't mean there won't be one. It's not like there's anything stopping fights from moving from one room to another anyways.
>>
>>65729111
I dont do TotM so hopefully someone else answers that. For random encounters I usually keep a grab bag of maps with something interesting on them and trust the players to come up with some innovative way of using the feature. They've collapsed ruined towers, set up a tripwire ambush in woods, cut down a tree and rolled the log down on enemies, etc.
>>
>>65729111
I divide distances in three categories: melee range, reachable with movement and too far away
>>
>>65723336
>5e
>buying
I play 5e on the regular and you disgust me
But seriously, if you can manage to somehow butcher 5e into an OSR kinda deal, then keep us updated.

>>65729111
I don't run TotM, but like most DMs I improvise map props on the fly all the time. You don't need the dice to come up with a small hill, a huge tree trunk, weird poison-coated mushrooms and a spice merchant's corpse. When I began DMing though, it did help to keep a list of combat props (updated whenever I had a decent idea) that I could refer to before the session, for inspiration's sake.
>>
>>65729349
>I play 5e on the regular and you disgust me
Why? Not him, but I have a lot of 5e books
>>
>>65729391
I'm exaggerating, but most of 5e's books are so poorly thought out and so poorly organized, I'd feel cheated spending $50 on them. The DMG and most adventures, specifically. I'd rather have a PDF I can CTRL+F easily, and not give Wizards my money. They can have my $$$ when they actually start releasing content that isn't a single shit module/setting no one asked for every four months, the hacks.
>>
>>65727654
Take a number. Technically any number will do, but 19, 20 or 21 works best given the stats and dice range we're working with. Personally, I like to go with 20 for ease of conversion. To get ascending AC, subtract your descending AC from this number (20 - DAC 9 = AAC 11). To get your attack bonus, subtract your THAC0 from this same number (20 - THAC0 17 = AB 3).

Or you could just use a table like this one.
>>
>>65729496
I found the DMG very useful, haven't bought any adventure though
>>
>>65729207
>>65729349

Kind of a continuation of the question, but square-grid battlemat related this time, since I have a love of trouble figuring out how battle encounters work out in a dungeon. Say my PCs are walking down a "single square wide" hallway (according to my map), so 5' or 10' or what have you. If a hostile monster shows up and the party decides to engage, am I expected to sketch up a simple one square corridor for the battle to take place? How would PC movement work in this regard? Can two PCS fight from the same square, for example?

I assume I'm overthinking it a bit, but I haven't seen any material covering good practices on running combat so I'm mostly trying to piece it together.
>>
>>65729793
That should be specifically covered in your game of choice's book.
Literally just read the examples of combat in your book. You're overthinking the hell out of it.
>>
Hey /osrg/. I feel most OSR game/retro are 1e, AD&D, etc. clone. What are good barebone (i.e. not too many shit added, such as supplements) OD&D clone ?

Thanks.
>>
>>65729901
White Box - Fantastic Medieval Adventure Game
>>
>>65729844
May I ask for a book recommendation for good examples of combat?
>>
>>65729956
The system you read the book of. I don't think I've read one that was bad yet.
>>
>>65729901
if you look in the trove, the best one is the straight reprint of LBB by WOTC
>>
https://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=magicitem

Generate 5 items, pick at least three and describe them, they must share a common theme, even if very loosely.
>>
>>65729956
Check out the Rules book of B/X Essentials a.k.a. Old School Essentials. IIRC it lays out a very comprehensively explained combat sequence.
>>
What's a good limit for non-human PC races?
>>
>>65727654
Use target 20.
>>
>>65730195
55 mph.
>>
>>65730195
You mean classes?
>>
>>65730195
limit on what?
>>
>>65730247
I'm realizing now that I worded that pretty poorly. I mean what are some good restrictions for non-human PC races that don't make them seem vastly superior to humans. I've considered giving them a lower max level, but I'm hoping to explore other options.
>>
>>65730032
What name does it have in the folder ? Just to make sure I'm looking at the right one. Thank you.
>>
>>65729507
Thanks anon, that opens up some options.
>>
How do you guys describe large, open-ended spaces such as villages or a large cave vault?

Do you use visual props? Also, how do you describe combat? Are OSR games easier to narrate due to how deadly and quick combat tends to be?
>>
>>65730605
Just use your imagination. How do you as the DM think it would look in real life?
>>
>>65730712
It's easy for me to be evocative when the immediate space isn't too important. But it's different when I'm trying to describe a large chamber in a dungeon for players. It's more technique than anything else I guess.
>>
>>65730311
>>65730195
If you do race-as-class, you can raise their XP requirements, or tweak the stats and powers of those classes.

If you're doing race-and-class, things are a bit trickier. We were discussing this in a recent thread and somebody was talking about letting humans reroll their lowest ability score, and maybe getting a +10% bonus to earned experience. Instead of letting humans reroll their lowest ability, you could let them allocate their scores to some extent, rather than just having to take them in order.

In AD&D cosmology, there's a difference between humans, who have souls, and demihumans like elves, who have spirits. Spirits are more transient and are quickly reborn, while souls are more tied to their state, so death means more to them, and the afterlife is more of a thing. Based on this, you could give humans a save vs. death to avoid their fate when the mechanics say they're a goner--a save that demihumans don't get. Or maybe you could let humans reroll one roll per day or something like that.

If you really wanted to give humans a boost, you could treat them as one level higher with regards to class abilities (things like spell slots and thief skills, but not basic stats like hit points--though you might have to give human fighters a +1 to-hit or something).
>>
File: beastmen as classes.png (110 KB, 1014x748)
110 KB
110 KB PNG
>>65730195
Why should they have an arbitrary limit to make humans the special snowflake race?

HFY went out of style years ago, loser.
>>
>>65730311

What do you mean, like homebrew races? Is someone in your party trying to play a half angel half demon who gets a +5 on all rolls? Be more specific about the problem please, it will help us give better answers.
>>
>>65730791
Describe not just what they see. Describe what they smell, what they hear. Incorporate their other senses to make the experience more immersive.
>>
>>65730808
One idea I had is to have a 7th stat when you're rolling abilities: your racial stat. It's used to qualify to be a demihuman. Maybe you have to get at least a 10 to be a halfling, 11 to be a dwarf, and 12 to be an elf. If you decide (or have) to be a human, maybe you can swap the score from your racial stat with any of your ability stats you choose, allowing you to ditch a lower score. If you really want to be an elf and your racial score is too low, perhaps you could trade in a higher score from one of your stats. If you allow this, demihumans can only ever swap a higher score *into* their racial stat, they can't boost an ability when their racial stat is higher than they really need it to be (they couldn't, for instance, swap a 15 in their race stat with an 12 in wisdom, to get a 15 wisdom and a racial stat still high enough to be an elf).
>>
>>65730808
I really like that idea of humans gaining some kind save vs death that other races don't get.

>>65730840
I'm talking mainly about typical demi-human races like dwarves and elves. I feel like they gain a lot of benefits with very few downsides.
>>
File: OSRG Volume II.pdf (7.93 MB, PDF)
7.93 MB
7.93 MB PDF
>>65730829
BEGONE FURFAG

>>65730844
this
>>
>>65730605
>How do you guys describe large, open-ended spaces such as villages or a large cave vault?
Pretty simply. Don't get me wrong, it's great if you can give evocative descriptions, but my mind doesn't really work like that when it comes to scenery, and a bare-bones description is functional and therefore adequate. If you really want to have descriptions be more interesting, pick two features to mention/emphasize. They don't even have to be significant. It you could stress the chalky gray stone, or the echoing sound of water dripping from the stalactites or whatever.
>>
>>65730962
The other big thing is encouraging players to ask questions actively. It's helpful to start a dungeon with evocative description but then after first impressions, you want to be more functional with description for the immediately actionable components of the adventure.
>>
>>65730962
Seconding this advice, focusing on functional description is absolutely necessary. Atmosphere will come from the dungeon as a whole, the entire adventure of the session, whereas focusing too much on the description of a single room will just get you bogged down.
>>
>>65730919
You could also have humans heal faster. Hell, maybe humans are just generally more robust and get a hit point advantage: better of two rolls each time they roll hit dice, maybe.
>>
New thread:>>65731484
>>65731484
>>65731484
>>
>>65717135
I like it because I enjoy at least quasirealistic medievalish settings.

I'm just tricking my players into playing tt crusader kings, to be frank.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.