[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

"On strike until the next UA comes out" Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: LMAO
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/Artificer_UA.pdf

>Where's the new UA?!?
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1091056194423160833

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread: >>64581885

Tell me why should the Fighter/Mage/Thief/... Guild accept your application over all other applicants ?
>>
Could minor illusion be used to change the colour of someone's eyes? If not, what would be used to do that?
>>
How should I encourage new players who's characters don't really have, well 'character' or backstory to develop one, or at least role play it a bit.

I was just going to introduce some NPCs, or factions and say, 'you know these people'. Is it bad to force a backstory?
>>
>>64587818
only if they stay perfectly still
thaumaturgy literally has a bullet point for changing eye colour
>>
>>64587818
Can't you simply use Alter Self?
You can grow yourself a dong with that spell, I'm sure it'll let change something as trivial as eye color.
>>
want to run a dexterity cleric (light). Any suggestions?
>>
>>64587929
My first thought would be a high elven cleric of Corellon/Sehanine/Angharradh (if FR) with a longbow and a free cantrip.
Or you can go wood elf for +1 wis. Although canonically, FR wood elves don't really give much of a fuck about the Seldarine, so there is that.
>>
File: why.jpg (252 KB, 1280x1024)
252 KB
252 KB JPG
Ever had your players do something inexplicably stupid?

I once had a group that made it all the way through an Aberration-themed dungeon full of mimics, gibbering mouthers, and other nonsense. They successfully discovered the invisible bridge without too much trouble, and even explored the optional side-path where they diplomanced the senile Spectator I'd posted there. (It was guarding a chest. Just the chest though, not the treasure inside.)

Everything had been going pretty well, overall.

And then, instead of stopping outside the boss room and letting the Life Cleric heal everyone up, they burst through the doors. I hadn’t even hid the fact that the doors probably led to the boss; they were really big and fancy.

Anyway, they’d entered the room, and I described what they saw. In the center of a wide, circular room, a skeleton sat chained to a chair. Its skull had a hole punched though it.

So what did the party do? They immediately charged into the center of the room and threw the skeleton, chair and all, into a Bag of Holding. They didn't look around. They didn't approach cautiously.

They just... ran right in. Like Leroy fucking Jenkins.

…the Mind Flayer then levitated itself down behind them, hitting them all with a Mind Blast. They'd all run right underneath it. All they had to do was look around a little, and they probably would've noticed it. They could've spread out and attacked it at range.

But no. They stayed grouped up and let the Mind Flayer approach to melee range at its leisure. Apparently, they just had an overwhelming urge to throw the fucking skeleton into the fucking bag. I guess they must've thought the skeleton itself was the boss or something.

Most of them still made it out alive, miraculously. Except for the Life Cleric, ironically, who had started the fight at around half HP. Fun fact about Mind Flayers? Their Extract Brain attack straight up kills you if it reduces your HP to 0.

He’s still salty about it.
>>
>>64587818
Disguise Self. Disguise yourself as yourself with different color hair/eyes. I dropped a hint in my current campaign that the way to spot a vampire is their red eyes and white hair, and the players met the king who is a vampire but who uses Disguise Self when he meets people that aren't his closest servants to make himself a blue eyed blonde.

Why disguise self over alter self? The prior is 1hr limit without concentration, Alter Self requires concentration.
>>
>>64587929
I'd say use a crossbow.
>>
>>64588032
I wasn't there for it, but my friends did something like that in a game. They did something so stupid it was either a TPK, or they would have to retcon about 2 hours of gameplay. They went with the later
>>
>>64588032
They put a polymorphed Phantasmal Giant Scorpion into a Bag of Holding. They're gonna fight the BBEG next week and the thing is gonna tear out of the bag at the most inopportune time to fuck their wizard up.
>>
>>64588032
Does "trying to steal the gems from the skull of a dormant demilich and upon his awakening pester him with a lot of stupid questions about his immortality" count?
It was one of those "I don't think that DM will actually make us fight a demilich at level 5" brainfarts. All the players had to do was to sneak past him, instead of waking him up.

So, yeah I made them fight a demilich. The new party they rolled was a bit more reasonable.
>>
>>64588059
>>64587865
>>64587896
Thanks, I'm pretty new and just looking through the PHB spell list
>>
>tfw you deal the final blow and you’re out of resources and on 1 hp

What are some of the best feels you’ve had playing 5e?
>>
>>64588136
To be fair you didn't "make" them fight it. They chose to fight it by bothering it.
>>
File: baby_bestiary.jpg (113 KB, 900x1164)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>64587709
So, is the Baby Bestiary worth investing in? I can't seem to find any references to the rules inside, but one of my players has an Owlbear egg and is looking to spend the next few in-game years training it.
>>
File: 1546571888694.jpg (157 KB, 1200x1023)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
>>64588253
It's not amazing by any means as it doesn't include statblocks for said children of creatures.
It only really tells you how difficult it is to train said creature and how to train it, which should be fairly obvious what kind of creatures can be tamed and which ones cannot.
Example: Bears vs Ankheg.
Even then, a campaign rarely has enough downtime/time skips to have something like a griffin mature to mount size.

Honestly isn't worth it, but I have both PDFs somehow, which means they must either be in the Trove or the sharethread, so if you want to take a look at it, check there.
>>
File: Child-Girl!.png (815 KB, 619x800)
815 KB
815 KB PNG
>>64588253
The important question is:
Does it have baby beholders?
>>
File: qqSx5Il.png (1.32 MB, 732x902)
1.32 MB
1.32 MB PNG
>>64588253
>>64588388
Oh, and here's the page from the bestiary for Owlbear Cubs if you just want to see that.
This is the whole section for the Owlbear cubs.

>>64588408
No, but the second book has a section for "Medusa daughters" and "Satyr foals."
>>
>>64588001
You could easily run a light Cleric as a Sunlight Druid, especially given how much Druids hate the undead
>>
>Party encounters Lich
>They are way too low level
>Panic
>Lich does not kill them just walks around talking in a very creepy way
>"Oh look at you, just look, oh you got caught up in my little trap? I am so sorry about that sweete. Yeah, well anyway, thanks so much for coming around."
>Player tries to speak
>"Oh thanks so much for coming around and going into my dungeon it puts a smile on my darn face, just let me finish honey I will let you speak, I just want to get this out, okay so anyway people make assumptions about me but you came in, and thank you by the way, but people assume things that they have no way of proving anything or you know I have no way of defending myself, anyway but you came here it was so sweet of you!"
Long story short my DM is very good at sounding like a psyco and we have a quest from a Litch.
>>
File: 1508933046582.png (92 KB, 449x435)
92 KB
92 KB PNG
Saying Kenku can't think for themselves is as dumb as people on /vp/ insisting that Mew can learn every move because the Pokédex says so
with the exception that richardfagging is just shitposting
>>
>>64588669
Well, technically, you will run into a wood elf cleric here or there, but they care more about the gods of nature, like Rilifane, Solonor or even Eldath and Silvanus. rarely Hanali Calanil or Aerdrie Faenya due to natural fertility and "motherhood" aspect. They don't obssess over Corellon and Angharragh like Sun Elves and Moon Elves do.
>>
>>64588774
Kenku have bird brains you dork.
>>
What advice do you have for finding new players and weeding out the shitty ones?
>>
File: undead.jpg (157 KB, 1280x720)
157 KB
157 KB JPG
Hey guys, I made some custom monsters and I need some help determining their CR

Acidic Undead Mutant
Medium Undead, chaotic evil
AC 13
HP 9
Speed 30 ft
Saving throws: +5 str, -1 dex, +4 con, -4 int, +0 wis, -3 cha
Damage resistance: Acid, Poison
Senses: passive perception 12

Undead fortitude
When the acidic undead mutant takes enough damage to reduce it to 0, it can make a con saving throw with a DC equal to 5+the damage taken. If it succeeds, it goes to 1 HP instead. If the damage is radiant it doesn't get to make this save.
Critical vulnerability
On a critical hit it dies instantly.

Actions
Bite- Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target Hit: 1d6+3 piercing damage and another 1d6 acid damage.
>>
Two questions for you, /5eg/ :

>were there any cringe worthy moments from that "competitive D&D" shit that started a few months ago?

>any way to pirate Debroah Ann Woll's new D&D show? I'm not paying for Alpha
>>
File: 1540302752488.jpg (279 KB, 881x1292)
279 KB
279 KB JPG
The Noblewomen wishes to larp as a knight!
>>
>>64588811
Ask them if they like Critical Role. If they say yes they're shit. If they don't know what you're talking about they're potentially good as long as you tell them to stay away from Critical Role.
>>
Rolled 18, 10, 4, 10, 13, 14 = 69 (6d20)

>>64588832
forgot the stats.
>>
>>64588832
Send her to fight orcs and goblins. They'll teach her what her place is as a woman.
>>
>>64588786
Yeah but Druids and Clerics are basically the same class with diferent mechanics.
If you can run a Druid without a God, you can run a Cleric.
So just run a light Cleric wood elf and call it a photosynthesis Druid. Prepare spells like control water and stonedshape and shit like that.
It works. You even get to keep Faerie Fire Domain spell in its original intent
>>
>>64588811
For finding new players, im not sure. Put up an ad at your LGS
For weeding them out, if they ever use a video game character as their primary reference point, you might have a bad player on your hands. The number of times I've heard "I want a character like Adam Jensen from Dues Ex!" or "I want something like Wrex from Mass Effect!" and had them be a poor player, get extremely bored of their character, and drop the character or campaign... its pretty tiresome at this point
>>
>>64588844
>10 con
Yeah she ain't fighting anything harder than a zombie.
>>
>>64588832
>>64588844
>Strong
>Cries the moment she feels any pain.
I like it
>>64588849
>Sends her retainers forward and destroys any weebgob that comes close.
silly eastern gobs think they can deal with western metalworking.
>>
>>64588874
>10 Con
You mean 4 Con? Or are you actually trying to arrange the scores a bit?
>>
>>64588803
And Mew has the DNA of every Pokémon.
>>
>>64588895
No I'm just retarded.
>>
What are some fun character concepts you have not had a chance to play yet?
>>
File: crocigator.jpg (11 KB, 425x283)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>>64588815
cont'd

Acidic Undead Mutant Crocidile
Medium Undead, lawful evil
AC 16
HP 43
Speed 40 ft
Saving throws: +6 str, +1 dex, +6 con, -5 int, +3 wis, -2 cha
Damage resistance: Acid, poison
Senses: Passive perception 16

Dangerous bite set up
When the Acidic Undead Mutant Crocodile is grappling a creature, it does another 1d10 damage to the creature by spinning.

Actions:
Multiattack: The crocodile uses it's bite and tail lash. It cannot use these against the same creature.
Bite: Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 1d10+5 piercing damage along with 1d6 acid damage. The target is grappled, escape DC 14
Tail Lash: Melee weapon attack: +5 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hit: 1d10+5 bludgeoning damage along with 1d6 acid damage. The target fails prone
>>
What's the youngest character you ever played, anons? Wanna make a 16yo human monk, I think it makes sense if she starts at level 1, fresh out of the priory and all, but I don't think I've ever actually heard of anyone having a mid-teens character.
>>
>>64588931
I started playing when I was 14 and my first character was 14, my group where my sister and my two cousins who where all at least 5 years older then me, I was the front line Paladin Lawful Good and eager to be a hero.
>>
>>64587709
>LMAO
OP, you dick!
>>
>>64588931
I was thinking about playing a 10 year old shifter barbarian themed after a gothic lolita doll that turns into an 8ft tall Teddy Bear when she rages/shifts.
But I feel like roleplaying a 10 year old would be weird, specially when one of the people at the table is a... loli enthusiast.
>>
>>64588836
To be honest, I've found that those who like CR have been better than the weebs, autists and minmaxers you can get otherwise.
>>
>>64588972
>LoLfags
>>
So...how do we get rid of Crawford?
>>
>>64588931
me and a buddy played 16yr old Khenra twins, since they mature real fast
>>
>>64588975
it goes
Oldfag> Nerd> Normalfag> Autist> Minmaxer> never reads the PHB lol> Furry> Critical Role Fan> Political faggots (Left or right)> Weeb> Serbian.
>>
File: 1450939446921.jpg (42 KB, 480x542)
42 KB
42 KB JPG
>>64588984
I don't even play LoL. Did that game do the same thing?
>>
File: 1549857693646.jpg (83 KB, 431x468)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>64589019
Objectively wrong

Weeb > Normalfag > Minmaxer > Nerd > Critical Role Fan > Furry > Oldfag > Politics > Americans > never read the PHB lol
>>
I have 4 hit points at level 1. How hard is it to not die if I have 60ft range ?
>>
>>64589038
Yes. Here:
https://youtu.be/aUTU-GnxVuM
And here she shows up at the end, showing off the actual bear thing
https://youtu.be/tEnsqpThaFg
>>
File: annie.jpg (185 KB, 1215x717)
185 KB
185 KB JPG
>>64589038
one of the more well known characters is annie who has a pet bear and is essentially what your describing
>>
>>64589038
You pretty much described Annie, one of the original LoL characters.
>>
>>64589052
Why are you starting at lvl1? You'll die if you get hit, and that's entirely up to your DM.
>>
File: peacock-spiders.gif (4.13 MB, 640x360)
4.13 MB
4.13 MB GIF
>>64589051
>Delusional Weeb.
>>
File: 180415095149.jpg (17 KB, 334x363)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>64589062
>>64589060
>>64589057
G-Guess I won't play her
>>
File: AUN3WIb.jpg (479 KB, 1065x1448)
479 KB
479 KB JPG
>>64589071
>He does not start all games at level 1
>>
>>64588811
If they tell you their character's sexuality before their class and race - and without your prompting - you might start backing away.
>>
>>64589019
Every oldfag I've ever played with did at least one of the following things
>be a complete whiny faggot
>be a complete powergaming asshole
>have a "players vs DM" mindset
>never read the 5e PHB, says shit like "five foot step"
>be an out of touch boomer
The majority of the unfun people I've played with have been oldfags.
>>
>>64589086
Not saying you shouldn't play her, but anyone at the table who has heard of LoL will instantly think you're one of those fags who makes their own OC sasuke character.
>>
>>64589086
Why not? I played an alchemist not!heroin addict, rages were his withdrawals.
>>
>>64589099
If they tell you their class and race before their personality or motivation, that's a bad sign too.
>>
>>64589100
I play at a Parkinson support group and they are all fantastic people anon, its a shame to hear you had a bad experience.
>>
>>64589125
Yeah, people at support groups are usually based.
>>
When will Wizards of the coast do a 5.5 and rebalance some of this shite? Seriously, Half-Elf is incredibly popular because of Fey Ancestory already not to mention it's +2 for CHA which makes any Bard/Sorc/Warlock etc a fucking must to be a damn half elf. Every single fucking Race has dark vision for some unknown reason, Warlock is just a fucking dip class for MC shit, Sorc only has Draconic as a viable options, Hexblade is fucking broken, Wot4E Monk is useless at best, and the entire Ranger class from the PHB is laughable, god forbid you wanna Beast master. Martials get no fun shit compared to their caster counter parts and relies too heavily on "DM may I?" High level play just doesn't fucking happen outside of one shots, they all end at fucking 10. I really can go on, like how Frenzy on Barb is just fucking bad, they system has no way in hell to run a medium/low magic setting properly (Hur dur play another system) Tool proficiency wasn't thought through all the way, just look at the Assassin sub-class for example, a poor attempt and more DM fiat. Etc etc etc etc
>>
>>64589105
>>64589108
I might just drop the Teddy Bear aspect and make her a normal Werewolf, that might be enough to distinguish her from Annie
>>
>>64589154
They should just get rid of Half elf and Half orc since they are going the "Melting pot" pathfinder direction anyway.
>>
>>64589159
Why not a Werebear?
>>
>>64589159
Werewolf lolis are cool, yeah. Amp up the horror aspect, if the other players are cool with it. Like, you say there's a loli enthusiast in the group? Well, if he tries anything, go with it for a while and then murder him in his bed.
>>
>>64589179
Because Werebears aren't traditionally edgy, which is what I'm going for.
>>
>>64588059
>I dropped a hint in my current campaign that the way to spot a vampire is their red eyes and white hair, and the players met the king who is a vampire but who uses Disguise Self when he meets people that aren't his closest servants to make himself a blue eyed blonde.
That's anime as fuck. I dig it.
>>
>>64589019
>>64589051
Weebs are fine, but a bit below normal. The real pain is the Rules Lawyer. Doesn't matter whether you're arguing because you want to buff up your character or you run things differently when you GM, arguing about the rules is boring. Double intensity goes to Foreign Language Rules Lawyer. He doesn't speak English as his native language, he wants to convince people of something before he'll let the game continue, and he thinks the reason you don't agree is because of the language barrier so he'll argue twice as hard and take twice as long to talk down.
>>
>>64589154
White man, come home back to Basic/Expert or even AD&D.
Leave the 5e niggers and monkeys in the mud pit of their own creation.
>>
>>64587818
Thaumaturgy could do that
>>
>>64588906
Combat-wise, an eldrich knight with ac20 who just fries stuff with an up-leveled thunderwave until it drops dead.

In terms of RP, an aarakocra noble followed by 3 underlings. So basically 4 vultures, 3 of which are always circling around the party.
>>
>>64589225
>That's anime as fuck.
Not sure if that's a compliment but thanks.
>>
>>64589258
Prestigitation on a pair of contact lenses could do that

A glorified disguise kit could do that
>>
>>64588849
Are the gobos in that supposed to be supernaturally strong, or are the women just animecringe weak to allow for the rape? I know why the author has the rape, I'm just trying to get at how he justifies it. I get that weapons and shit make a difference, but it looks like these gobos are size of children, and if a woman can't fight off children why would she be worth impregnating?
>>
>>64588900
>>64588895
You were correct in your retardation, though, as the OD&D stat order was STR/INT/WIS/CON/DEX/CHA which makes no fucking sense
>>
>>64589258
For 1 minute.
>>
>>64589253
There's a particular sort that insists on everyone buying and using spell components, even if it gets the whole party stuck cause they can't cast a trivial spell. The bat wing enforcer.
>>
>>64589317
I think OD&D was pairing stats by their closest "opposite."
>>
>>64589282
They gang up on them and beat them senseless, even a strong woman will be overrun by a dozen young boys with knives. They then leave them malnourished while giving them regular beatings and torturing because they're just that evil a bunch of little fuckers. The incubation period of the gobbos is extremely fast so they're forced to give birth and be impregnated again at a rapid pace further draining their ruined bodies of vitality until they eventually succumb to their regular beating or death from malnourishment.
>>
My players are gonna travel by ship for 4-5 in game days. Session is gonna be about 2 hours long. Any tips for things that might happen?
>>
>>64589341
I had a situation like this happen. We tied up and knocked a baddy unconcious planning to interrogate him later but the DM didn't want us to get info out of him so had an NPC turn and fire a crossbow to kill him. I started counting turns so I could revivify him if we finished combat in time, and for the first time in the campaign since we had started he asked me "do you even have the diamonds for that"?.

Yes, I did have the diamonds for it. But it was nice to know he just wanted that guy dead so we couldn't Zone of Truth all the details out of him.
>>
>>64589365
They play cards the whole way, the crew say they see dolphins, but the party miss them by the time they make it on deck. They all get tattoos.
>>
>>64588836
Fuck off. Some fans of Critical Role are shitheads and may have high expectations, but the show has brought so much attention and new people to 5e, overall it has done more good to the hobby than bad.
>>
>>64589365
Run a single combat (sailor fight club? pirate attack? triton ambush?) that lasts 1 hour so it feels like way longer and your players don't complain the session feels short. Give them time to just roleplay too and further their bonds with each other
>>
>>64589365
At the sea, they meet a sacred crocodile who never made a decision in his life, and let others do his work for him.
The current had so far carried him from his temple across the continent and into the middle of the ocean. He's convinced he's only been away for a while, but in reality the temple has been destroyed and rebuilt several times during that time, and his tribe is just a footnote in history.
>>
>>64589431
The Critical Role fags in my groups have all been disruptive assholes who think the entire point of the hobby is to get the party into every possible worst case scenario they possibly can because they think it's funny.
>>
>>64589052
If anything hits you, you're dead. Just stay the fuck away, keep moving, and keep an eye out for hidden enemies.
>>
>>64589383
I bet he'd ask you to grind the diamond with your bare hands if your character ever wanted to cure himself of an STD.
>>
>>64589472
No, but he did ask me "where did you get all those diamonds I don't remember you buying them".

Had to remind him we looted 2k worth of diamonds from a chest in a session like 6 months prior.
Convo went like this
>Didn't everyone convert their share to gold
>Not me, I never converted to gold for obvious reasons
>Are you sure I swear-
>Why would I convert several revivifys to gold?
>>
>>64589124
Why? I always decide what I want to play first (class-wise), then race, then I figure out the backstory, and only with those 3 things in mind I can decide their personality and motivation.
>>
>>64589365
You can test your player's film knowledge by having a rival martial artist on the same group identify the party's pacifist, and starts punching the air nearby. "Do I bother ya?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_Ycw0d_Uow
>>
>>64589458
Bad players will be bad regardless of what they watch.
>>
>>64589503
I'm at a loss here. Are you guilty of planning ahead, guilty of playing the game, or simply Guilty in general, like a bastard?
>>
>>64589555
I think he just really wanted that NPC dead and I was guilty of being willing to use 300gp of diamonds to cast Revivify on him.
>>
>>64589514
>The film that said Aussie Peter Archer's voice didn't fit a New Zealander, so they dubbed him sound to sound like Peter Griffin instead
>>
what would be a fun druid race? maybe eladrin, genasi or a shifter?
>>
>>64589458

I'm gonna bet that you're lying.

I've never run into a disruptive Critical Role fan. Back when everyone was complaining about "WoW fans ruining the hobby," I never ran into a disruptive wow fan either. Before that, when people were bitching about Diablo fans, I never had a problem with that. Before that, I never had a problem with R.A. Salvatore fans.

People just like to bitch about whatever's popular. "Ohhh, I'm so much smarter than these newbie lemmings." Dumbass.
>>
>>64589581
So you're a dick then.
>>
>Players zone of truth a bad guy
>Spend 20 mins trying to work out a ironclad question that cannot be answered with useless information.
I always enjoy games like this.
>>
>>64589543
I mean this is a problem with youtube in general. It gives you the illusion of knowledge or experience because you've spend 10 hours doing something. Someone with no experience is going to listen and cooperate with people, and someone who's "experienced" at watching youtube is going to make demands and have like repeating patterns of mistakes, failure and anger.
>>
File: the original thonk.png (257 KB, 832x680)
257 KB
257 KB PNG
>>64589669
I'm a dick for wanting to res a bad guy that obviously had sensitive enough information that his allies killed him to prevent him falling into our hands so we could get said info out of him and foil their evil plot?

Fuck I've been playing Good wrong all this time.
>>
File: beast wars.jpg (46 KB, 640x640)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>64589658
warforged
>get mega AC in animal form
>get to roleplay as a transformer from beast wars
>>
>>64589695
Yer a dick fer derailing yer DM's RAIL ROAD, pardner.
By the point you get to Revifify, you should have known your DM's intelligence was limited and you shouldn't be trolling him like this, you cad.

>>64589645
I was wondering why he was dubbed. I just figured bad guys are either cartoons or right out of a comic book in Bruce Lee movies.
>>
>>64589670
>Finally figure out the perfect question.
>"Because go fuck yourself"
>>
>>64588960
Did you get to be the hero anon ?
>>
>>64589317
The first three stats were in that order for the primary classes of the game: Fighting-Man, Magic-User, and Cleric. Then the other ability scores were rolled in order of general importance.
>>
>>64589713
amazing, I love it. but I've just been made aware that Eberron and Ravnica races are a no go unfortunately
>>
>>64589752
DM has no reason to have an NPC's allies kill him if he has no info. If a bad guy turns and kills one of his own who's captured I instantly think it's because they know too much. Not my fault he did that and every other player at the table thought so enough to agree to let me resurrect him.
>>
>>64589431
But it does set up wrong impressions, because a lot of CR newfags forget that CR is first and foremost a show, rather than a D&D game.
And what Mercer's crew can get away with - and by god, if I were a DM in CR season 2, Mighty Nein would've been dead several times over due to their moronic actions and Marisha would have been kicked out of the game - won't fly at the regular table most of the time.
One CR fan I had a misfortune to DM, was legitimately suprised that I killed his character after a bunch of stupid decisions he made. He thought that the fact that he's a level 7 fighter gives him plot armor and let's him shitttalk the BBEG that's above him in power level.
>>
File: 170415095150.jpg (9 KB, 180x280)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>64587709
Characterconcept: An edgy Emocleric with black and red hair, skulls all over his clothes and a scythe that constantly talks like some edgy poet, his eyes turn blue whenever he casts a spell.
In reality he's a dork who constantly casts thaumaturgy on himself to change the colour of his eyes because hes too much of a bitch to wear contacts, and when he casts a spell he temporarily drops the thaumaturgy thing. When someone rummages through his backpack (without his permission) it's filled with books by pretentious poets that most people make fun of for being too edgy, and the cleric is just quoting them.
>>
Am I a dick of a DM for being relatively adamant about banning any and all non PHB races?

I've got a few various reasons for doing this, but the biggest is simply that I like to avoid the "wacky" and "super unique because I picked this race" types of characters. I know that both of these are still possible via PHB, I just find it much more likely once you let in Kenku and Aasimar and all that shit
>>
>>64589778
I was being sarcastic, your DM didn't account for something obvious and deserves the punishment he got.
>>
File: riot wizard.jpg (68 KB, 700x434)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>64589581

I mean, as a DM, I feel for the guy. I both love it and hate it when my players do clever shit that short-circuits all my plans.

Had one happen the other day due mainly to luck.

>"Despoilers! You claim you are here to help? Then speak the holy name!"
>PCs have to guess the right pantheon, of 3
>Then have to guess the right god, of 12 in the pantheon
>Then have a 50/50 chance to pronounce the name in a way that this jungle amazon lady won't consider blasphemous

So, the planned antagonist for the next two sessions became an ally, and I had some work to do.
>>
My DM doesn't ask which Cleric spells I've prepared. How would you feel as a DM if your cleric was casting spells that they didn't prepare?
>>
>>64589803
In my shitty opinion, yes. But please do share your reasons.
>>
>>64589788
You ever watch Evangelion? Shinji was an irritating and grating protagonist. Your character concept, while memetastic, seems equally bad, but for different reasons.
>>
>>64589816

Annoyed and sad. Half the game runs on the honor system, don't mess it up for everyone. Try to be smart and plan. Don't cheat.
>>
>>64589810
Oh, sorry. Sarcasm is hard to catch via text.

>>64589816
Don't cheat anon. Everyone at the table will know you're cheating even if they say nothing and you'll be That Guy.
>>
>>64589788
Reminder that Thaumaturgy only lasts 1 minute so you'd be casting it every 60 seconds to keep your eyes a different color.
>>
>>64589803
The PHB specifically differentiates exotic races from base races. You could introduce consequences for exotic races, like people being subtly or even openly hostile to those races.
>>
>>64589803

You're in charge of what's available in your setting. You say Kenku are no go and Aasimar don't exist, that's that.

It is good form to talk things over with everyone in session 0 and try to run a game everyone enjoys, though. "No weird shit this campaign, maybe next time I'll do some interplanar wildness and you can all be warforged and genasi" would be cool.
>>
File: Metal Bloodline.png (462 KB, 528x870)
462 KB
462 KB PNG
Have a png of the homebrew from last thread.
>>
File: whizzpoppers.gif (1.6 MB, 480x270)
1.6 MB
1.6 MB GIF
If I wanted to produce a fireworks like effect would I use minor illusion or prestidigitation? If I wanted to do something bigger could I do it with more illusion magic?
>>
File: sarchasm-.jpg (71 KB, 640x512)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>64589835
>Oh, sorry. Sarcasm is hard to catch via text.
I believe the technical term for that is the Sar-chasm.
>>
>>64589873
>Metal Blood
>What is hemoglobin
I'm sorry, I can't get past this
>>
>>64589846
He's very dedicated to the act.
>>
>>64589888
You use the Artificer when the UA is released.
>>
>>64589888
Minor illusion creates an effect in a 5ft cube and Prestidigitation allows you to make a shower of harmless sparks.
Pyrotechnics, a second level spell, actually creates fireworks that cause a blinding effect within 10ft.
>>
>>64587837
>I was just going to introduce some NPCs, or factions and say, 'you know these people'. Is it bad to force a backstory?
That's a really bad way of going about it. Just pick up on what they respond to and nudge them to rp. If they like an npc because he's funny or cool then bring back that npc and give them an opportunity to develop a relationship with them. It can't happen overnight, especially for new players.
>>
>>64589903
>What is hemoglobin
Something that your average fantasy setting has yet to comprehend, considering we didn't get that far until the mid-19th century.
>>
>>64589803
No, not really.
But it would be good if you talk it over with the players.
Common races are common for a reason. In my campaign the most exotic player race is a drow.
Kenkus, firbolgs, tieflings, aasimars and crawfordian elves are usually things that happen to other people and meeting one in a campaign is always a big deal as bestows an extremaly rare race.
>>
>>64589913
>when
Im not holding my breath for that one. How would that produce these effects though?
>>64589923
>Pyrotechnics
Thank you anon. I will look into this and maybe work something my DM on making my wizard more fun.
>>
>>64589904
Basically sounds like a chuuni character.

>Why do you cast a cantrip every minute?
>'Tis not a petty cantrip I cast, I must chant constantly to bolster the seal that binds the uncontrollable power that slumbers within this right arm!
>But that's clearly Thaumatur-
>UNCONTROLLABLE POWERRRR!
>>
>>64589888

Prestidigitation could do something like a sparkler. Minor illusions can be 5 food cubes, but they don't move. Your best cantrip option is Dancing Lights.

Higher level illusions can do wild stuff, bigger and brighter and cooler. Alternatively, you can use evocations for real fireworks. Gandalf was an evoker; his area of expertise was "fire and lights."
>>
File: 1548797463820.png (111 KB, 228x249)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>64589953
>>
>>64589850
That's one of the reasons I hate it when someone asks to play one. In most settings, a kobold or something walks into town and there's gonna be SOME kind of problem, but on the same token, no player really enjoys getting singled out constantly and consistently.

>>64589871
>>64589951

I never hide the fact that I actively dislike the non PHB races. It's always one of the top things I go over when I bring a group together

>>64589818

sure. in addition to the previously mentioned "my character's most identifying trait is the race I picked"

>most of the non PHB races are either monsters who need a good reason to be accepted into an adventuring group, while also needing to deal with the fact that in most settings, they're either super rare and stand out or are generally evil by nature. Players generally lose interest in this quickly

>Races that should act and behave in very inhuman ways tend not to be played that way at all, so these characters just get played as "scaly human" or "feathery wood elf" or what have you
>>
>>64589830
Except shinji, just like his character, was only pretending to be retarded to get attention and cause of a lack of life experience.

There's nothing wrong with the character concept, really.
>>
>>64589952
>how does an explosives expert produce explosives
>>
>>64589976
I thought about being an illusionist for the combined sound and effect but if it doesnt move there isnt much point to that. I wasnt looking for a complete rip of Gandalf but something similar to what he does with the fireworks and making a ship out of smoke to kind of add some entertainment value to the RP I wanted to do with him.
>>
>>64589904
>>64589953

Yeah, Thaumaturgy's only component is verbal, and he'd probably be muttering fake magic words under his breath even if he didn't need to.
>>
>>64590008
>Shinji was pretending
The whole point of the show was that Shinji was both protagonist and his anxiety was the antagonist. He was dealing with crippling depression while also being thrown into a robot made from his mom's parts.
>>
>>64589953
The somatic component can simply be adjusting glasses.
>>
>>64590015

Higher level illusions can move, and have sound and visuals all at once. If you want complicated flashy effects, illusionist is the way to go!

But remember the first rule of playing an illusionist: don't tell people you're an illusionist.
>>
>>64589980
Yunyun is fucking cute you expect me to believe a girl this pretty and talented with magic has no friends?
>>
File: oldboxer.jpg (332 KB, 785x1169)
332 KB
332 KB JPG
>>64587709
How do I go about making unarmed combat more fun? My players have taken to unarmed brawling recently and it's taking a while because they're at that level where hitpoints start to pile up (the fighter and cleric are at 4th-level and everyone else is at 3rd) and it's fucking boring for me because everyone has low-ass AC and attacks only deal piddly 1+STR damage. What are some ways I could make this actually have risk of losing for the players? I'm sincerely thinking of making them do CON saving throws, CD 11+STR, to avoid being knocked out when hit, but I don't think that's very balanced at all.

Pic vaguely related. helb
>>
Is Fighter/Druid or Barbarian/Druid a good idea?
>>
>>64590093
They fuck with a Monk. The monk fucks them up.
>>
File: Metal Magic.png (173 KB, 520x492)
173 KB
173 KB PNG
>>64589873
>>64589903
Metallic Bloodline? Warrior Bloodline? Its name is flexible. This was the only feature I did not keep in as taking spells from the Paladin can rustle so many jammies. Oh and Steel Wind Strike unfortunately does not involve a weapon attack so I can't put that here.
>>
So anons, in my campaign, most dragons were killed off a little over a century ago, meaning the ones born to repopulate are just about to hit 100 years old and mature to adults. Hit me up with some interesting ideas for individual dragons and their personalities
>>
>>64590103
Moon druid with 2+ levels of barb is great. Barb with only 2 levels of moon druid is OP but you don't get to cast anything.
Fighter is only worth it if you invest 5 or 8 levels in it for the extra attacks.
>>
>>64590103
Well, if you go Barbarian/Druid, you get to be the BarBEARian. That's gotta count for something.
>>
>>64590093
Con save on hit
Save increases each hit
3 fails and you're down
crit is an auto fail
>>
>>64590118
There is a team of five or six adventuring teenage dragons, one of each color. They wear masks and protect their area from giant monsters and extraplanar shit.
>>
>>64590130
Those all sound pretty fun honestly, I've also been fiending to try a fighter/Grave cleric vampire hunter type character. But I'm not sure how it'd work out
>>
>>64590118
Red Dragon who hates humans and has sworn to exterminate them like they did to his race but he does so by becoming top dog of a nation's military and starts leading his nation to war against others in brutal fashion.

A Black Dragon that takes the form of a Jack the Ripper style mass murderer and goes around murdering people at night for funsies.

A Copper Dragon that wants to buy land so dragons can repopulate in a safe place so he goes around as a merchant selling magical items he crafts himself for exorbitant fees but every item has a weird/annoying gimmick because he's a copper and can't help himself so people stop buying his items and he quickly breaks down and tries to palm them off for coppers.
>>
>>64590130
>>64590140
So as a Barb/Druid do you just shape shift and rage to win?
>>
A friend of one of my players has expressed interest to join our table and now wants to sleep with me.
Is there any way this won't backfire?
>>
>>64589780
If he thinks he should have plot armor, he's not a CR fan either. I think every single character of the first party died at least once. And the thing with impressions and expectations, is you should be talking about that with your players on session 0, so they know what to expect from you and vice-versa.

And the rest is just "training" your players by rewarding good play and creativity and having consequences for bad decisions.
>>
>>64590194
Is this friend a boy or a girl?
If a girl - is she cute?
If yes - why are you asking this question?
If no - contemplate if a bag on her head would make the situation better

If it's a boy - fuck no, what are you, a fag?.
>>
>>64590093

Tricky. I mean, unarmed combat is not as good as armed combat, that's why people invented weapons in the first place. But you should roll with whatever your party thinks is fun.

Yeah, think of some moves. Allow opposed athletics checks to do things like dislocate a limb. Put lots of environmental hazards around to make pushing and throwing more useful.
>>
>>64589257
>basic
lmao, at least AD&D is playable, but
>implying AD&D is any more balanced than 5e
Humans are literally just a shitty default you pick if you don't have a single 9 or are dumb enough to want to play a Paladin
>>
>>64589465
>If anything hits you, you're dead.

>doesn't know the difference between INCAPACITATED and DEAD

If they hit him for 4 HP, he is INCAPACITATED. He can be brought back to life with one Goodberry.
>>
>>64590237
Okay, I'm at the point where a bag would make things better. Now what?
>>
>>64590192
Yup.
>>
File: DM LIKE MERCER!!.png (177 KB, 1188x772)
177 KB
177 KB PNG
>>64590231
This is true. Most CR people (Like myself) just find ourselves caught up more in our characters is all. I'd understand the CR players who get really attached to their characters or build out a backstory that's got twists in it, but I can't support any of them thinking they are immortal or should have plot armor.

Its D&D, you die. If you get attached to your character, remember they could die at anytime in your journey, its pretty commonplace.
>>
>>64590194

Joining the game wasn't the goal. If you want to hit on someone, you show interest in their hobbies and try to spend time with them. "Oh, you like hiking? That sounds fun, could you show me some cool places?"

But hey, maybe they'll get hooked on the game, I've seen it happen. Be open to it, but plan for the possibility that they'll just be guest-starring and leave after a couple of sessions.
>>
>>64590262
Can you sleep with her without inviting her to the table? That would be preferable because I get the feeling she'll be sleeping with everyone at the table or is using you as a stepping stone to get the attention of a chad at the table.
>>
>>64590262
Lay down and imagine very hard she's Deborah Ann Wool. In our hobby beggars can't be choosers.
>>
File: kunt.jpg (60 KB, 604x453)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
>>64590255
Fighter and Rogue are also the smallest common denominators between all the AD&D classes and that never stopped them from being the most popular. Nothing wrong with that
I'll never forgive them for not putting Half-Orcs in the 2E PHB though, those cunts
>>
>playan tiefling devotion paladin with 16/10/13/8/12/16
>dueling fighting style, using spear as main weapon and sword as backup
>just lost my spear in a fight we had to run away from after I threw it
>no idea which ASI/feats to take
send help
+1con hybrid feat / +2str / shieldmaster for BA use / Sentinel
>>
>>64590130
I thougt you only get to transform into things based on your druid level. What CR 1/4 beasts that cant swim or fly could be useful late game?
>>
>>64590319
Why don't you, you know, purchase a new spear for the reasonble expense of 1gp at pretty much anywhere with a smithy?
>>
>>64590257
If they hit him for 8 HP, he is FUCKING DEAD. He can be buried under a nice tree if you liked him.

Reminder: average goblin can do this much damage with a melee attack, average orc does this much damage on average (and at minimum incapacitates). CR 0 scorpion can instagib him with a single sting.
>>
>>64590304
>Rogue
You started in 3e, memester, it's called Thief, 1e Assassins and 2e Bards are also Rogues
>>
>>64590115
>Steel Wind Strike unfortunately does not involve a weapon attack

Steel Wind Strike is not a Gish spell. Its as much a Gish Spell as a Fireball, Lightning Bolt, Magic Missile, or Guiding Bolt is when cast through a Weapon Spellcasting Focus. If it had a weapon attack as a part of casting it then this would be a different story.
>>
File: olaf.jpg (5 KB, 186x271)
5 KB
5 KB JPG
>>64590346
the obvious
>>
>>64590319

Pump strength. It helps with every attack, every damaging hit, slimbing, carrying wounded allies, escaping grapples, performing grapples, etc. But the best thing is that it it helps with any weapon you choose to use, rather than locking you in to a particular style.
>>
>>64588836
Hey wait a tic. I've been playing D&D since 3.0. And I've played every edition since. I only started watching Critical Role a few weeks ago and I like it.
Do those 2 weeks invalidate my well over a decade of playing D&D?
>>
File: 1517792698785.png (180 KB, 566x780)
180 KB
180 KB PNG
>>64590388
Oh no, please forgive me boomer-san
>>
>>64590401
>late game
>+6 to hit
great
>>
>>64590257
With 4 max HP, any attack that deals 8 damage kills him. Even less, if he's already hurt. A goblin can instantly kill him.

So yes, if he's careless enough to get close, he might as well be dead.
>>
>>64590401
I mean its definitely cool, but the average Barbarian will have better attack options at that point.
>>
>>64590413

Didn't you know? If you like something popular, you're automatically less cool than the cool guys who hate it.
>>
>>64590413
The OSR guys won't invite you to their incredibly awkward elder grog meetups, consider yourself blessed
>>
>>64590194
I had the opposite problem. While at FLGS, a DM tried to recruit us to join his table with some guys we kinda know there. First session was pretty great. Dude keeps sending the invite through my girlfriend via text, or invites "us" when she's playing 40k at another table, and endeavors to set play sessions when she's off work and I'm not.

He's a generally good, friendly dude who throws an exorbitant amount of money at D&D, (he's got two living rooms full of minis, labyrinth walls, and huts, he's wallpapered his play room with artwork from several editions and 3rd party splats. We're pretty secure in our relationship, so we have definitely considered playing, and I wouldn't be worried about her playing without me, but the dude is so transparent in this endeavor to try and steal my girlfriend that I have a hard time believing he'd be able to weave a convincing tale of intrigue.
>>
>>64590401
>turning into a mundane bear when fighting something that probably requires magical weapons to overcome resistances
>>
>>64590413
Depends on a season.
I'm with you on Season 1. S1 was rather decent and I liked it as well. It was corny, but I liked the characters.

S2 on the other hand is atrocious - it's pretty much a shortlist on everything you shouldn't do in a tabletop session. There is no plot, the characters are unlikeable special snowflakes, there is a textbook That Guy that's forcing herself as a leader of the group (did she mention that she's a lesbian yet?) and DM lets the party get away with literal mass genocide, because the fandom would otherwise yell at him on twitter.
>>
>>64590359
because it was his spear anon, its lost forever. Nothing else can replace it. Also I tried and the one vendor I asked didn't have a spear
>>
>>64588836
What about I Hit It With My Axe?
Literally pornstars playing D&D, and you can tell the Mohawk chick gets so snowflakey in her descriptions because at one point you can see two other players getting bored and snogging in the background.
>>
>>64590545
have you never shopped before in your life? suck it up and go to another vendor.
>>
>>64590514
>Make a story
>Your players are high on "Le ebin meme" and your wife is retarded
>They ignore your story.
Matt might be a shit DM but he is not at fault here.
>>
>>64590573
>watching a game ran by a rapist
>>
So I’m playing a LN cleric of knowledge (cloistered scholar variant human, tookmagic initiate for a familiar,stats: 12,10,14,14,16,8) and I’m wondering how I should play him, given his higher than average mental stats and ok physical stats, along with the abilities that the knowledge domain gives I was thinking something like a Jedi, but I could also go for a hyper logical Spock character too. I’m obviously the parties skill monkey, as we don’t have either a bard or wizard. Any thoughts?
>>
>>64590500
"Starting at 6th level, your attacks in beast form count as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to nonmagical attacks and damage."
Druids aren't allowed to have weaknesses because they're a caster.
>>
>>64590093
poison
>>
>>64590649
>Knowledge
>10 dex
This seems like a mistake
>>
>>64590661
I'm pretty sure they are talking about a moon druid 2/Barb X multiclass
>>
You are kidnapped and put into a white cell and told you must make a design choice for 6e or they will cut your balls off.
You must make four changes, you must choose a Race to remove, a Class to remove and you must make a Race OP and a Class OP.
What do you remove and what do you make OP?
>>
AD&D talk is making me thing how I'd make a 2e-style warlock tbqh

Current thoughts are
- Bard-style, as a rogue subset maybe with a more clerical bend but I already have a divine rogue variant of Bard with 1-5 cleric spell access in my notes
- Wizard-style, as a double specialist like the Ravenloft Arcanist and the Birthright Magician plus a few minor flavor shit for the patron (which doubles? fuck if I know, Evocation/Conjuration isn't really doable well since they're each other's opposition school?)
- As a specialty priest of a demigod-tier divinity
- As a broad caster kit with a minimal requirement of having some sort of conjuration access?
>>
File: b.gif (986 KB, 498x346)
986 KB
986 KB GIF
>>64590661
Why should the Druid who specializes in using Wild Shape in combat have using Wild Shape in combat as their weakness?
>>
>>64590682
>Moon Druid
>2
There's no actual balance justification for casters to have their spec unlocked at level 1-2, prove me wrong
>>
>>64590661
Monks get that feature too, silvered weapons are cheap and most campaigns are fucking monty hauls
>>
>>64590687
I would change the warlock, they don't get any spells but can perform rituals, they also get a special ability to augment themselves at costs, make themselves stronger at the cost of Constitution, give themselves faster movement but they must do the bidding of a demon, do extra damage but cut off a finger.
>>
>>64590675
First time playing 5e, Dex doesn’t seem to effect accuracy for spell casting, and I planned to stay back most of the time plinking with cantrips, so ac wasn’t a major worry, but I’m probably wrong, not that I can really change it/not to worried about optimization for this character
>>
>>64590706
>warlocks without pacts
>clerics without gods
>>
File: index.jpg (4 KB, 150x150)
4 KB
4 KB JPG
>>64590706
>Sorcerers get their archetype at 1 because it's the source of their powers
>Paladins ?????
>>
File: cutedwarfprincess.jpg (179 KB, 800x555)
179 KB
179 KB JPG
>>64587709
What magical realms are currently distracting you at the table, /5eg/?
>>
File: 1549003685162.gif (2.38 MB, 310x467)
2.38 MB
2.38 MB GIF
>>64590747
>Paladins
are great from day one and the power was inside themselves all along.
>>
>>64590103
Fighter/Druid kinda wank beyond 2 levels of Fighter for Action Surge, but there are better uses for Action Surge than repeating a multiattack as deadly as some of them are, i'd rather double cast some big ass spells

Barb/Druid works because Rage synergy with Wildshape is great
although thanks to Xanathars you dont really need Barb anymore because Guardian of Nature gives you on demand advantage without needing to reckless attack, and chances are as a moon druid your taking Warcaster and Resilient Con feats so concentration is mostly a non-issue.

and come 10th level the elementals have their own resistances, it may only be to non-magical but very few creatures have magical attacks so it's rare your not resistant to shit coming your way

Generally speaking when playing moon druid, you dont multiclass until your atleast 10th level, and then you probably want 11th level for 6th level spells and if your game is going all the way to 20th you'd be an idiot to pass up infinite wildshape so multiclass is off the table, but barring that your kinda free to pick up w/e.

should note that at 12th level you'll get giant sub lizard, which is huge and grapples on a bite, the reason i mention it is because this creature is big enough to grapple Gargantuan creatures, which means you can grapple every single creature in the game that isn't outright immune to the grappled condition.
so if you ever wanna wrestle with an ancient dragon, this is how you do that
>>
>>64590545
You need to download Brokkr. It's an enchantment for your scriveners pad that scryes various local shop inventories from anywhere in the city. If you provide the enchantment with your bank's letters of credit, you can even browse the inventories of larger vendors in neighboring towns or cities, then purchase items and have them delivered directly to your room at the local inn for a small upcharge.

If you don't have the conjuration experience needed, most Colleges or Libraries, and even some larger vendors will be happy to apply the enchantment free of charge. Just be aware that service may be denied in areas of low or no winds of magic.
>>
>>64590757
My character took some mummy bandages that where cursed with the spirit with a long dead queen and is using them under her armour, the bandages are animated and can help in grapples and offer some magical bonuses, brown wifu queen is essentially always hugging my strong Pally.
>>
What are some ways to get around regular physical resistance when you are currently in a kingdom where magic is outlawed?
>>
>>64590682
Eh, if they're going to do that they don't really want more than 5 levels of barbarian. Or 6 with ancestral guardians or something.

Really you only need 1 level of barbarian, or 2 if you really want to encourage enemies to attack you.
>>
>>64590729
AC is pretty important because it's the difference between 0 damage and actually taking damage. You're 10% easier to hit not having 14 dex. It's not the end of the world, but you should generally aim to get your AC as high as you can get it no matter the class
>>
>>64590805
Yeah, it's in response to >>64590130
>Barb with only 2 levels of moon druid is OP
>>
>>64590804
Hit harder, pussy.
>>
>>64590804
be a monk
>>
>>64590808
You can get away with it if you are a heavy armour chad, but your dex should never be lower then 10, if it is you might as well trash your character and start again.
>>
>>64590723
>they don't get any spells but can perform rituals
Ravenloft had a kit a bit like that, they lost actual spell access but could brew potions and poisons based on any spell they knew (spells were mostly limited to on self effects) as their way of doing an alchemist

Also I honestly would be tempted to keep it broader than just fiendlock, but I think there's already a fan class like that for Ravenloft or something
>>
>>64590826
I do hit hard, its everyone else I'm worried about.
>>64590830
We dont have hat option unfortunately.
>>
File: 1548909391940.jpg (168 KB, 1168x562)
168 KB
168 KB JPG
Can anyone recommend a solid book for magic items and/or equipment in general? I'm assuming it'll be something 3rd party.
>>
>>64590746
>warlocks without pacts
Warlock specs are weird but I'm pretty sure their real spec is the boon
>Clerics without gods
They still have gods just none of the domain features (and the Ahtar say hi)
>>64590747
>Sorcerous origins
Then postpone the fucking features
>>
>>64590838
Is it ever wise to have good Str and Dex outside of Barb? Or should you pick one or the other if you're a Fighter?
>>
>>64590872
Dex is a good stat even if you ignore the AC component of it. High priority save, stealth, intiative, long ranged weapons.
For a non-EK str fighter you want Str>Con>Wis>Dex>Cha>Int. Wis and dex are pretty close, but getting hit by a wis spell is normally going to hurt you more than a dex spell
>>
>>64590872
The problem with fighters (and guides for fighters) is that people miss that Con is not the only bread and butter stat, you have Con AND Wis, you want them to be at least good so you have staying power and then you want to pick what kind of weapon you use, if you can have Wis, Con, Str and Dex over 14 with Str OR Dex at 17 at least before the game starts then you are golden, but often you have to sacrifice, for a Fighter, its cleaner to make a heavy armour Str fighter and then you can drop your Dex to 10 without worry, you want that Con and Wis real bad man.
>>
>>64590872
Fighter's pick 1 or the other, Battlemaster uses either of them for it's DC checks, you should not waste good stats on both when you have CON to boost.

if your a STR fag, Dex is still nice to have for Initiative dex saves and some of the dex skills, though generally you've already given up on attempting to stealth being a str fag.
as a DEX fag str offers nothing for you, fighters make for shit grapplers so it's not an area you should ever focus on.
>>
>>64590947
>as a DEX fag str offers nothing for you
You need it for jumping and climbing
>>
File: 1241231232.jpg (11 KB, 234x216)
11 KB
11 KB JPG
>Join online games that let me roll for stats.
>If I don't get at least 2 18s I will wait for the first session after making my character.
>Start blocking all the other players and the DM and leave the game without notice
>Report them for sexism on roll20.
>Find another group and try to get two 18s
>>
>>64590986
>uhh can I use acrobatics?
>sure!
>>
>>64590986
Just use rope faggot.
>>
>>64591008
>Making things up to try and impress/upset anonymous users on 4chan

Here's your (You).
>>
>>64589317
>OD&D stat order was STR/INT/WIS/CON/DEX/CHA which makes no fucking sense
They're grouped by their role.

STR/INT represent raw power, physical and mental.

WIS and CON represent mental and physical resistance and defense.

While STR/INT represent raw power, DEX and CHA represent fine control or subtle application of that power. DEX and CHA are able to do the "delicate" work for Mental and Physical abilities.
>>
>>64590986
comes up almost never, easily fixed with a rope and grappling hook
>>
>>64590986
don't both use strength?
>>
>>64591086
Yes yes, However where does HONOUR factor into this?
>>
>>64591014
But with STR you don't even need to roll anything.
>>
>>64591008
Doing god's work, anon.
>>
>>64591130
High Cha, low Wis/int.
Not a lot of power, but enough fine control to make what power you have seem important.
>>
>>64591086
That way it makes sense. Thanks anon even when I played B/X I never did make sense of it
>>
File: 1539729625498.jpg (38 KB, 400x400)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
>>64591145
>you don't even need to roll anything.
Whut the fuk mate? Ow am I meant to ave fun if we aint throwin dice?
>>
>>64591008
Based, but I don't understand why you're blocking them.
>>
>>64591166
So they cant cry at me.
>>
>>64589771
>primary classes
>cleric
Thief predates cleric
>>
>>64591014
>Allowing someone to use a skill unrelated to a check for a check
???
>>
>tfw found mom's old 1E PHB
>tfw the illusionist spell list has the gish spells that MU doesn't have
How did Fighter/Mage become the hot meme
>>
File: drowRanger.png (222 KB, 420x522)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
Should I always be Sharpshooting as a Fighter/Ranger with Archery Style? How's the math on that work out.
Sharpshooter feat gives -5 to hit in exchange for +10 damage should the player choose.

I assume there's a point where it's more or less always worth it at a certain point (excepting situations where you just need any damage to land at all).
>>
>>64591241
Because the current generation is populated by NWN/Baldur's Gate/general CRPG weenies who want to be able to do everything
>>
>>64590778
heh
>>
File: 1549776859847.jpg (152 KB, 713x902)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
My current character has basically two backstories, one as a mercenary and later as a sailor. Both are equally fleshed but I see the sailor part more relevant to the current campaign. Should I just set the other part aside? Both can be reworled easily to include origins. Just wondering when it's too much for backstory.
>>
>>64589365
>A shipwreck nearby is the home of a young bronze dragon. If the PCs approach, he asks to "borrow" some crew. He needs creatures who can swim through a human sized underwater tunnel and recover a captain's locket (of sentimental value to the dragon). He's too big to fit through the tunnel and hasn't mastered shape-changing yet. In exchange he'll part with some treasure.
>Some noncombat action: the ship hits some kind of reef, PCs are sent to repair a hole in the hull
>PCs and crew are hailed by a passing merchant ship in need of repairs. If they perform the repairs, a crewmate steals a box valuable supplies from the merchants...

I'm trying out a sea campaign right now, whenever I'm at a loss for ideas my plan is to just grab random events from FTL (refluffed from scifi to fantasy) or Sunless Sea.
>>
>>64591287
nah, even in AD&D days, Fighter/Illusionist was never what people rolled even though in retrospect it's the sensible 1e gish option by a gigantic margin (Bard with illusion spells or Fighter/Illu in 2e are about equal, fuck bladesinger)
>>
>>64591287
This. Back in my good ol' days, Wizard was basically meant to be played by the nerds who were having all the fun while us jocks were playin FIGHTERS! cuz they didn't involve much thinkin so we could fuck girls instead.

*sips energy drinks*
ayup
>>
>>64591329
I don't even remember a lot of multiclassing back then, seriously who came up with that ultragay dual-classing thing? Gygax on coke withdrawal?
>>
>>64590413
No, you’re fine. And even people who got into the hobby by watching CR aren’t *necessarily* bad. It’s just treating the show as The Way The Game Should Be Run And Played that’s bad.
>>
>>64590757
I am literally playing a cute dwarven noble girl. She is a shining spot of sanity among rock-eaters and alien priests and immortal medical professionals.
>>
File: 1507787056489.jpg (77 KB, 405x405)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
How do you guys handle certain events? In particular, the party pissed off a band of Hobgobbo's and their pet Orge's, currently the Hobo-gobbo's are tracking them because the ran the fuck away. We ended the session with them booking it, but now I have to have these fucks on their trails, and I know the party will want to set traps, fake tracks, hide and maybe ambush on the road, or just truck out of there as fast as possible. Overland travel of great distance. So what should I do exactly? How do I roll them hiding their tracks and shit vs the gobbo's tracking them with wolves.
>>
>>64588408
Beholders don’t have babies anon
>>
>>64591312
You can have both parts, but keep it to one page so your dm doesn't have to read a book
>>
File: 1517896192878.jpg (151 KB, 1280x720)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>64591394
Please tell us more because your party seems really interesting, does your character have a picture?
>>
>>64588774
can learn every TM/HM. crabhammer is not a TM.

and kenku can think for themselves they just can't synthesize or invent; they have no creativity. but you don't need creativity to make decisions, just to come up with options you've never seen or heard of before.
>>
>>64591312
I think it really depends on how well it builds the character.
You can write five pages of absolutely nothing that can be condensed into five bullet points, or one page of very dense material.
>>
>>64589038
its also a teen titans minor character, because LoL steals characters, like jynx is just a blue harley quin.
>>
File: michal-sowa-mage-cocnept.jpg (403 KB, 1000x1746)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>64589873
Simple, but good. Add >>64590115 in and maybe give the Metal Attunement feature one more unique thing. It feels like the only really unique thing is the 18th level feature. Some ideas:
>Sorcerer's body functions as a Metal storage space which you can use to store the Attuned weapon inside and call it when needed.
>Your Metal Attunement weapon, worn metal armor and shields can change color and style, this does not change how the weapon or armor is held or functions. This is removed upon breaking the bond or removing the armor or shield.

7/10
>>
>>64591359
>seriously who came up with that ultragay dual-classing thing
Honestly this might have been a Gygax thing

AFAIK the optional rule where levels above racial limit cost more XP was also probably a Gygax table thing which probably also made it easier to carry a dual-classed human.

More importantly at least from my impression of elder grogs who actually played 1e when it was current, the expectation that you were going to babysit a new character if someone's char died was definitely very much there, so I imagine it ended up being a hack related to that
>>
>>64591411
Beholders have babies and clades of beholders think most other clades are vile mutants to be purged for the purity of beholderkind based on older editions
>>
>>64591312
Honestly - I would pick just one backstory, flesh it out and leave the other one in a backpocket just in case - or as a backstory for a different character.
I may be a weird one, but I always was a fan of "the less convoluted backstory the better." The backstory should be a hook, you flesh out while playing, not a novel. The more detailed the backstory, the less room you leave for yourself and DM to expand on that in-game. And sometimes you risk overshadowing other players with your long and epic backstory.
Also, remember - your character is disposable and can die at any minute - which means all your hard work writing a novel worth of backstory goes down the toilet.
But, that's just me - and I'm laying in a bed with a serious flu, so I may be talking nonsense.
>>
>>64591231
what you've never experienced the parkour meme in your games?
i swear the number of fucking dex fags i've played with who try to swing using acrobatics for athletics shit
>>
>>64591411
Shut up, let me dream.
>>
File: 1517926482447.gif (510 KB, 346x367)
510 KB
510 KB GIF
What sort of creatures might live in the Feywild that aren't explicitly Fey creatures? Just looking for inspiration, I think I'm going to have at least one encounter with a Displacer Beast or two.

Also, looking at the stat block for Pixies, they don't really have attacks, how might an encounter with a swarm/army of them go? Lots of Sleep spells?
>>
>>64591529
>acrobatics
Actually, dreaming is how Beholders produce offspring
>>
>>64591254
depends on the AC of the creature, in general though yes you almost always use it as the fighting style offsets the penalty in a really strong way.
if you can get advantage consistently even more so
>>
>>64591254
That’s a complicated answer, but generally if you have advantage or a flat bonus like Bless, it’s usually always worth using Sharpshooter.
>>
>>64591486
Thinking of this, ironically the Noh story would have been perfectly in line with some of the more out there ways replacement characters have been introduced in AD&D
>>
Is there a table somewhere that lists the expiration of herbs and potions?
>>
>>64591540
Pixies have really strong spells at their disposal and permanent invisibility, they're tricksters at heart, but also remember that they're good aligned, so while they may play a trick or two, they're not out for blood unless the party has pissed them off
>>
>>64591554
I am so proud that someone got that lame joke of mine.
>>
>>64591504
Thought they dreamed other beholders into existence and that there was a complete separation between “parent” and “child”
>>
>>64591312
>two backstories, one as a mercenary and later as a sailor
Add the reasons for becoming a mercenary, a sailor and for "joining the party" and you're done. Four or fine sentences. Keep everything else to yourself or add it as supplemental material that nobody will ever read.
>>
>>64591409
>we want to book it out of there
Con checks all around to move quickly and efficiently.
>we want to set traps and hide our tracks to delay their progress
Survival check versus the enemy tracker’s survival check.
>we want to ambush them
Stealth check versus the enemy’s Passive Perception and then run a combat, with the PCs having surprise if they win the check.
>how do I roll for the wolves
Have them group roll - that is, each wolf rolls, and if half of them beat the PCs, they win.
>>
>>64591608
Oh right, that's from the article where Ed Greenwood introed the creature I think
>>
File: Deathkiss-5e.png (174 KB, 370x600)
174 KB
174 KB PNG
>>64591529
>Let me dream
Alright if this was intentional this is the highest IQ joke I have seen in a while here.
>>
>>64591540
Unicorns and other magical beasts like blink dogs, behirs, bulettes, girallons, pegasi and the like. You can also just beef up normal animals, either by increasing their stats or for example having them be permanently blessed or hasted or having some fey behind buff them like that.
>>
>>64588811
Honestly I conduct a small interview with them and ask about their preferences, expectations and favourite experiences

If I like them enough from the interview I offer to run them through a single player one shot, super quick and done at 1st level. Nothing in the adventure is particularly difficult for a character skilled in the task (ex DC 12-14 locks, dc15 investigation checks) and enemies are positioned so they can be picked off or outmaneuvered but still lethal if they decide to rush in.

Finally I include an NPC at the end of the "dungeon". This gives the player a chance to roleplay with a non hostile character who often asks to accompany them on an adventure.

If I like the way the player used resources and roleplayed I'll move them to the shortlist or right into the party, if I dislike them I'll let them know I have some other candidates and will give them a call if they made it in. I haven't had anyone complain so far and all my games have gone great
>>
>>64591540
Fey animals with weird-looking fur

>encounter with Pixies that's a fight
This is the worst way to use pixies
>>
File: 1521109934189.jpg (102 KB, 768x768)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>our regular D&D house isn't available today
>tell the gang to come to my place
>I'm the DM so I start describing things
>my mom asks me where am I reading all that
>I tell her it's all in my head
>my mom just stares at me
>>
>>64591409
If you want to go at length, I'd probably do it as a chase sequence. The DMG has rules for in-sight chases. Either modify that to work with out-of-sight chases or roll your own. I'd pick a slice of time appropriate for the scale of the chase (30 seconds, 5 minutes, 30 minutes, whatever) and play each party in turns, resuming normal action rules if there's contact. The players play individually and I'd act the trackers as blobs of mobs that can split and merge as they come across terrain features, tracks and whatnot. Maybe throw random encounters into the mix for both parties.
>>
>>64591794
Ask her to join in.
Worked with mine. Now she won't leave my fucking house.
>>
>>64591825
>having a sufficiently human relationship with your mother to play games with her
>not having a mother who is completely impossible

not everyone can do these things
>>
File: Party.png (363 KB, 750x588)
363 KB
363 KB PNG
>>64591447
A little small but it's all I have at work. In order:
>Patches, Tabaxi Hexblade Warlock
>Zekicot, Gabbra (rock-man) Mad Scientist Physician
>Addis, Hill Dwarf Swords Bard
>Miles, Tiefling Storm Barbarian
>Ezekiel, Krysheni Death Cleric
>Karvouno, Black Dragonborn Zealot Barbarian

The game is fun but also a bit loose. The party was gathered by an eccentric item collector and sent them to a dangerous country to retrieve a few items without checking anyones' credentials.
>>
>>64591593
Yeah, they're going to be being commanded by a power mad greater Fey so they will have it out for the players, but they won't be evil for sure

>>64591711
Yeah you're probably right, I just know the party will want to try and fight them off. You think the Pixies will probably mostly just fuck with them? Going invisible, tripping them, stealing their things, etc?
>>
>>64588032
Yeah.

>You see a door. There's a skull carved into it and a 'keep out' sign.
>I open the door!
>....The Glyph of Warding triggers, everyone takes 30ish lightning damage.
>Well, okay, the door's open at least.
>uh, you don't see much - some undead cats and stuff. You kind of feel like you're being watched.
>Okay, I stab one of the cats.

The Cone of Cold the invisible mage inside cast took out 3/4 party members. They could've just healed and then explored the room, but....Apparently not.
>>
>>64591794
She's afraid that you're a witch, anon. Or she's amazed by your imagination and creativity. One of the two.
>>
How often do you fa/tg/uys play D&D or just ttrpg? For years I was pretty happy with my once-per-week group, but I recently got pulled into another one, had to start making new characters more frequently, kinda getting a little addicted. Almost considering looking for a third group.
>>
>>64589873
Pathetic powergaming shit!

Just do a hexblade dip!!
>>
Hey guys I'm looking to play in a dnd game via roll20. Is anyone runningbome?
>>
File: 1286210165302.jpg (23 KB, 429x410)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
How do you run an Underdark campaign?

How do you describe them walking for hours in caverns and tunnels? Do you just go
>"well you walk for 4 hours in these caves and found nothing of interest, do you go on?"
At what point does the alien setting, the darkness, the horrors lurking in there, the difficulty of finding food, water, shelter all become a little too banal?
>>
>>64591865
I foresee a lot of church in his future.
>>
>>64591878
uhh let's see
On Sundays I DM one game and play in another at a LGS.
I finished up a Lost Mines game dmed by Davvy Chappy and will be playing in a Mad Mage game with the same group soon.
I joined the /5eg/ West Marches thing.
And there's a Curse of Strahd game I joined on Roll20.
>>
how would I go about building a Kamen Rider esque pc in 5e?
>>
>>64591878
At uni I was playing with 2 different groups every week, with an occasional third session in the week sometimes. After graduating I'm only playing once/week.

Being useless NEET, I don't have the energy to play any more than that.
>>
>>64591912
how do you put up with his faggot voice?
>>64591903
by building encounters rather then rolling random encounters and just walking, you should never use a random encounter if you want players to be invested.
>>
>>64591899
Invite sent ;)
>>
>>64591707
Do you play irl or online?
If irl how do you find enough people that something like this is reasonable?
>>
>>64591878
I play twice a week on the weekends, and I DM twice a week at work. I work with kids in an after school program, it's helped a lot of them make friends.
>>
How do you guys feel about adding an extra layer of lethality to the game? In my experience DMing 5e, it's really hard to actually kill players and most of them are seriously adverse to the longer one injuries table. But I really hate the idea that the fighter can be gored by Minotaur horns, left in a bloody heal and then bounce up 6 seconds later as though nothing had happened.

I know I can make the enemies go for coup de grace kills, but people get salty about that too, saying it's unrealistic

My proposed rule was to alter the instant death clause. Instead of doubling your max go (which become impossible at higher levels) it moves to doubling your current hp. So if the fighter sticks to the Minotaur with his 10hp and gets smacked for 20, he immediately dies as punishment for not retreating . Think this could work?
>>
HAVE YOU EVER DONE... you know what?

https://www.strawpoll.me/17417444

VOTE GUYS
>>
>>64591989
Have animals or animal-intelligence monsters coup de grace. They just want to make one kill and take it for food.
>>
File: 1483843604107.jpg (36 KB, 456x364)
36 KB
36 KB JPG
>>64587709
>Fighter kills a man by piercing his splint cuirass with a lance
>wants to take the armor for himself
>"anon, you just punched a hole straight through his armor -- it's too damaged to use"
>"THAT'S NOT IN THE RULES MAN"

kill me
>>
>>64591846
Nah, I'm kidding. My mother's pretty cool.
I mean, she sucks at the game - comes with the territory when she still doesn't know what an "elf" is - she's a 65 year old lady, give her a break - but she's having fun.

There is something weirdly satisfying in getting both your gf (who is fortunately way better at DnD) and your mother to play a family DnD game.
>>
>>64591989
It's HEROIC FANTASY anon, WFRP 2E is over there
now fuck off with your HEMA bullshit
>>
>>64591960
Both actually though irl I admit my parties are usually all my friends or 1 random.

But when we need extra players I post a little flyer at the LGS that I frequent with some contact info and explain the situation.
>We play at someone's house, everyone brings snacks or drinks
>The group is mostly friends
>I'd like to get to know you a bit before inviting you into my home

Works great so far, only had 1 fat autist that the LGS owner practically begged me to take in, he lasted one session before we kicked him
>>
>>64591989
it's not double your max, it's taking your current + your max hp

if you have a total of 20 hp but only currently have 1 hit point, taking 21 points of damage is instant death.
but if your at full hp, you need to take a whopping 40 damage to be one shot which is very unlikely outside of fighting something way beyond you, but getting crit at low hp is certainly possible to just outright kill you
>>
>>64592020
He doesn't know a smith who can replace the damaged sections?
>>
>>64592020
>take armour
>give it to a blacksmith to repair at a fraction of the cost of the armour itself
why do people struggle with this
>>
>>64592003
yes I have eaten an entire extra large pizza by myself.
>>
>>64591475
I'll add those in.

>>64591894
Why would you want to continue perpetuating the same stereotype? Also I don't think you know what those words mean.
>>
>>64592038
Even heroes can die anon, tragedy is important to any story and if your players can go through any challenge with the idea that they won't die, well there aren't any real stakes are there?

I'm not trying to murder my players at every turn, but it makes even shitty creatures like goblins capable of bringing down an unprepared or downright stupid party.
>>
>>64591989
Just have multiattacks keep going even if the player starts to bleed out. Once you start getting Barlguras, Driders, and other 3+ multiattackers you'll get some dead players, or at least quite a few sweating as they start their next turn unconscious with two failed saves.
>>
>>64591955
it's called good dming sweetheart look it up
>>
>>64592100
Having a shitty voice is good DMing? Surely it just takes you out of the experience.
>>
>>64591989
>doubling your current hp.
Nah, sounds pretty terrible. It will break in situations like dragon breaths or certain enemies scoring massive crits. You're better off attacking downed PCs then. I usually have all but the extremely experienced enemies ignore PCs until they rise from being downed at least once. If the PC is downed then, he'll usually receive 1 strike for 2 failed death saves. If he rises from that the enemies will maul him until he no longer resembles anything alive. Veteran scary foes (think e.g. mariliths) attack downed PCs multiple times as soon as they drop because they know better.

I also have a houserule that when you drop unconscious, your HP is not 0 but negative (times you were down*2). If healing doesn't bring you back to positive hp, you stay unconscious. Drop a bunch of times and healing words no longer bring you up.
>>
>>64591958
Hi may I ask what you are dming?
>>
>>64591989
How long are your encounters? Do you restrict short / long rests? Do you ever make a dungeon long enough where they start running out of hit dice on the short rests?
>>
>>64591989
Gain 1 level of exhaustion on being knocked unconscious
Remove heal-to-full on long rests
>>
>>64591847
I don't know why, but something about those dudes makes me think Dragon Quest. Still, glad you're all having fun. Also, you have character art on your work computer?
>>
>>64591989
>most of them are seriously adverse to the longer one injuries table
People die and get disabled to great lengths in war. If a character is too fucked up, just retire it as an NPC and roll a new one. The problem is probably that your players think you're going to incur a great cost when a death or a retirement happens. Make sure that's not the case and that they know it. Dead? Blind? Roll a new toon and keep playing.
>>
>>64592162
>expecting people to suck it up when their waifu hexblade monkadin sorcerer dies
>when all this talk of "MUH CHARACTER CONCEPTS" permeates every thread
>>
>>64591989
Whenever someone drops to 0, they gain a level of exhaustion.

Solves all these problems.
>>
>>64592182
death spiral shit, fixes nothing, there's a good reason they got rid of tons of abilities and creatures that ability and level drain
>>
>>64592157
Work is pretty easygoing. They were in my dropbox so I just made a collage in paint.
>>
>>64592071
WHAT DID HE MEAN BY THIS?
>>
>>64592131
>>64592153
>>64592182

I dig these ideas I'll give them a go

>>64592150
Yes to all factors, my encounters last a pretty solid amount of time. Often with new waves of enemies arriving if the PCs are loud/combat goes too long . I just personally feel that I'm 5e the players have A LOT of ways to stay in the fight and keep pushing forward which is what prompted me to start thinking of alternate rules
>>
>>64592003
Started from LMoP at level 1, that ended with the party at level 4 and we continued through a homebrew campaign that went all the way to 20.
The entire thing took about a year of weekly playing, around 5 hours per session.
>>
>>64592277
You guys play in the summer too?

We play from about 20th September until 20th June, we end the season with a weekend special at a summer house

We usually reach level 12-13 or so.
>>
For a question many threads back about why you SHOULDN'T awaken a whole bunch of animals:

When I entered my house today, I immediately heard these exact words from a room;
"FUCK NIGGA ... PUSSY"
And nothing else was audible.

That is all.
>>
>>64592306
Yeah we do. The place we play at even has AC and that's the only place to find refuge from the heat so nobody could even think about skipping.
Started a new campaign after the last one ended last spring, we decided to level a bit slower and now we are only level 8 after almost a year of playing.
>>
File: 1430781024510.png (15 KB, 400x335)
15 KB
15 KB PNG
>>64592337
I don't get it
>>
>>64592337
you left your porn on?
>>
>>64592181
I suppose it depends on playstyle and preference. That said, even the biggest carebear would realize that it's cool to come across your ex-PCs in the world even if they have two legs and an eye missing and have a tumor the size of a basketball on their left forearm and speak through a magical not-computer on their wheelchair.
>>
Is paladin/bard any good? Thinking of going Ancients pally and lore bard
>>
>>64592377
Awaken
5th-level transmutation
>>
File: 1488830288467.jpg (40 KB, 466x469)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
>>64592337
>>
>>64592397
why do you want to do both instead of one or the other?
>>
>>64591989
The game is designed for the players to win and is pretty much designed to be as nonlethal as possible towards players if you follow the recommended xp allowance.
>>
>>64591989
It should be obvious when a monster is likely to coup de grace: Smart creatures take it hostage or dumb creatures very clearly don't walk away from the corpse and 'have no intention on stopping the next turn'

Add a rule that every time you heal from 0 HP and choose to immediately get up again, you gain a stack of exhaustion.
>>
hey 5eg can I have some ideas for monk related one shots?
>>
>>64592419
Because I like the idea of a paladin who goes around helping and inspiring people with the strength of his arm and his songs. He's gonna be like Tom Bombadil but not as godly. Mechanically speaking I like the idea of be able to lead from the front while buffing allies and rebuffing enemies, and I can use the expertise to be an even better face character
>>
>>64592527
Isn't there a Paly that's like War Master or some shit?
>>
>>64592521
Players are all monks training in the school of the shadow and for their final test they are put in a labyrinthe dungeon and encouraged to *pssht, nothing personnel kid* each other.
But instead, the players band together to defeat their abusive teachers and escape this hell, only to finally realize this was the challenge all along.
>>
>>64592527
can't you accomplish this just by taking College of Swords?
>>
>>64592527
You could do all that just with just Bard, if you wanted. You could still call yourself a Paladin if you wanted.
You could do it just as a Paladin, too, but you'll be less group oriented than a bard.
Bard/Paladin isn't a bad multiclass, but generally, you don't want to delay class features without a solid plan in mind.
>>
>>64592521
https://youtu.be/a_WvskMCJk8
>>
File: 1506617915845.png (475 KB, 842x1128)
475 KB
475 KB PNG
Getting the chance to playtest a class I've been working on in an actual game this sunday. One of my friends has agreed to play it knowing it might be shit. Feelsgood but now I need a fun idea for a oneshot that will let me test him out properly, specifically his combat capabilities.

Fun ideas for a combat oriented oneshot?
>>
File: 1514341238831.jpg (86 KB, 600x849)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
Elven critical master duelist

>5fighter(champion) > 2 barbarian > 1-13 rogue

>By level 5 I critical on 19 and 20, and have 2 attacks +1 offhand attack, and roll 3 hit dice on advantage instead of 2
>By level 7 I can have advantage on all attacks forever with reckless attack
>Starting at level 8 I have sneak attack to add to any critical.

>With 9 or 12(action surge) hit dice per turn I critical just about once per turn and use sneak attack for that

>At level 10 that's 2d8 + 1d4 + 2d6(x2)
>At level 20 that's +14d6, once a turn, every turn

Is there a build with better consistent damage?
>>
>>64592929
>Siege of a city, can either be defending or attacking
>Have players defend/scale walls
>Get pushed back/ push into the keep
>Big bad fight is against the enemy warlord/Noble warrior king

You can add all sorts of magic users from either side along with fantastic beasts (griffons, Drakes, small dragons, etc etc) even RP segments could be included
>>
File: Impaler.png (72 KB, 195x272)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
Good item ?
>Legendary Spear
>Magical
>+0 to hit
>+10 to damage
>>
>>64593004
Any item is fine as long as you don't let one player stand too high above the others and you balance encounters around it properly.
>>
>>64593004
Any particular reason it does +10 besides "Magic"?
>>
New

>>64593058

New thread

>>64593058
>>64593058
>>64593058

New thread
>>
>>64593004
>Rubber Spear
>Normally just a bendy rubber spear, can be rolled/folded almost like a rope +10 to conceal the weapon
>Spear springs into a rigid metal state when it's wielder spots an attractive woman
>>
>>64591878
I unironically never played in my life.
>>
>>64593093
go back to fatal
>>
>>64592972
Reckless attack requires strength attack rolls.
Elven accuracy does not work with strength attack rolls.

Read your abilities Anon.
>>
>>64588032
Oh Lord, and the worst part is that they're usually so paranoid.
>Get into an old lady abandoned house on the hill suspected of kidnapping children
>"I kick the door in"
>"Eek! w-who are you people? Get out my house!"
>"WHERE ARE THE KIDS"
>"FUCK IT SHE CAN STILL TALK WITH JUST A HIT POINT LEFT"
>They charge in
>"Well that's initiative I guess"
>"they roll high"
>count 20 hits tho
>her face changes from fright to genuine pleasure
>"If that's how you want to do this" she says
>All the doors and windows shut close
>they go "oooh fuck"
>Her turn
>"My house, ass holes"
>It's a night hag
>Her two daughters come down from upstairs next round

And thats how they TPK'ed for the 3rd time.
>>
>>64592972
Oathbreaker is the best for consistent damage. You can multiclass out after level 11 for more damage elsewhere if you need to.
>>
One of my party members recently died and is rerolling a barbarian that's goal is to eat all sorts of exotic animals (dragons, shipwrecker crab, the like).
The rest of the group is also leaning heavy into this and basically going full dungeon meshi.
If I wanted to make some sort of magic sous chef to a barbarian what would be a good build?
>>
Is it true that rolling stats like this

/r 4d6k3
{Enter}
x6

is better than rolling stats like this
[[4d6k3]] [[4d6k3]] [[4d6k3]] [[4d6k3]] [[4d6k3]] [[4d6k3]] [[4d6k3]]
{Enter}

apparently if you roll as a set, Roll20 is more likely to give you rolls that are average within the set of all rolls

whereas if you roll 1 by 1, you get a context free roll every time.
>>
>>64594932
Roll20 dev here

can confirm

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.