[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

"On strike until the next UA comes out" Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Artificer
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/Elf_Boipussy_Complete_Guide.pdf

>Where's the new UA?!?
https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1091056194423160833

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5e.tools/

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous Thread: >>64577866

Has your party ever been involved with factions far greater than them? Unions, armies, secret cabals? Are any of then your party's enemy?
>>
Is killing an entire village of chaotic evil cannibals an act of good?
>>
What was the pettiest way you killed a PC or DM's character?
>>
>>64581898
yes
>>
>>64581898
LN if done under orders from society

LG if done under orders from gods
>>
>>64581924
Invisible barlguras ambushed the party, entangled and beat the shit out of That Guy, and then they carried the body away Donkey Kong style, disappearing into the Underdark. The party had no leads on it except that Drow were involved, and decided to cut their losses. OOC they hated the fucker too.
First time I ever saw a guy rip his own character sheet in half at a table.
>>
File: jade-empire-combat-2.jpg (139 KB, 1360x768)
139 KB
139 KB JPG
>>64581898
Totally. It'll make you popular with fox ladies, too.
>>
Mystic Arcanum seems really underwhelming for what they're supposed to be. Would you let a player playing Warlock do a kind of ripoff of Magical Secrets and poach 6-9th level spells from other classes for their Mystic Arcanum?
>>
>>64581898
that's rude anon, they're called goblins.
And yes.
>>
>>64581985
What the fuck are they supposed to be? Everyone else only gets one 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th level slot until extremely late levels.
>>
What kind of a cleric would be best at being the hardest bitch to take down? I guess by that I mean AC
>>
>>64582049
Forge or light
>>
>>64582049
life
just heal the damage bro
>>
>>64582049
Nature, free Absorb Elements every round and all the other cleric BS. Forge is only +1 AC over the other heavy armor clerics, don't fall for it.
>>
>>64582047
I think that it's more about having a really limited and poor selection of 6th to 9th level spells (on top of being impossible to change said spells once you've picked them).
>>
>>64582120
5% can be a big deal anon
>>
>>64581635
Say no more senpai.
>>
>>64582047
They're supposed to be some super secret powerful spell apart from your normal magic, a reward of faithful service from a Lord of Hell or shards of madness plucked from the mind of an elder thing beyond the stars... and this is represented by a handful of mostly mediocre spells that have no connection to the patron whatsoever and really don't seem to add anything to the class identity.
>>
>>64582049
Arcana, take Contingency as your 6th level Wizard spell. Contingency is: "If I go unconscious, cast Word of Recall bringing me to [enter temple of your faith here]."
>>
>>64582157
Nigga that's a whole fucking 17 levels of playing
>>
>>64582128
You know what's better than 5% to not get hit? flat 50% damage reduction
>>
Since a Vampire’s Mist form only has a flying speed does that mean if it dies underwater it’s trapped until the 2 hours pass and it gets true death’d?
>>
>>64582137
I'm fine with a bard being a jack of all trades but gishfag with metamagics is too much
>>
>>64582157
>If I go unconscious

>never able to sleep again

alternatively,

>gets knocked-out by measly Sleep spell
>teleports out of the dungeon, leaving allies on their own
>>
>>64582218
You can swim without a swim speed. Your character doesn't drown when they fall in a pool of water.
>>
>>64582134
>Bonus Proficiencies
>At 1st level, you gain proficiency with shields, light armor, and medium armor.

>Metal Attunement
>At 1st level, you learn a ritual that creates a magical bond between yourself and one metal weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. The weapon must be within your reach throughout the ritual, at the conclusion of which you touch the weapon and forge the bond.
>Once you have bonded a weapon to yourself, you are proficient in it and can use it as a spellcasting focus for your Sorcerer spells. If it is on the same plane of existence, you can summon that weapon as a bonus action on your turn, causing it to teleport instantly to your hand.
>If you attempt to bond with a second weapon, you must break the bond with the first one.

>Extra Attack
>Starting at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

>Battle Magic
>At 14th level, when you use your action to a cast a sorcerer spell, you can make one weapon attack as a bonus action.

>Metallic Warrior
>You learn the Tenser's Transformation spell, which doesn't count against your number of sorcerer spells known. In addition, you can cast it by spending 7 sorcery points or by expending a spell slot. If you cast it with sorcery points, you are able to cast spells while under the effect and you can change the extra damage granted from the spell to acid, cold, fire, lightning, thunder, poison, necrotic, or radiant instead of force (no action required by you).

That's pretty close to what I had in mind, i'd prefer extra attack as its easier to work with. Stole that bottom ability cause it looks pretty cool. You could even steal that subclass' flavor and use it here.
>>
>>64582258
You can’t swim using a fly speed anon. An Aarakocra can’t swim at an increased speed by substituting move speed for fly speed when working out swim speed
>>
File: bloodborne.jpg (337 KB, 830x535)
337 KB
337 KB JPG
I'm DMing a Bloodborne-inspired campaign tomorrow, so I've been working on some homebrew mechanics for it to try and capture the feel a little.

If you're in my campaign, you probably know who you are. Look away or be spoiled. That means you, Nathaniel, Athena, Ross, and Ellisar.

Anyway, here's the overall situation:

The main characters are starting out on a boat. They're with about a third of their village, who are fleeing from an invading goblin empire. However, they're going to get sucked into what is basically an eldritch prison dimension, where a number of Great Old Ones are 'trapped.' Sorta.
>>
File: 1536018400309.jpg (30 KB, 330x275)
30 KB
30 KB JPG
>>64581952
Delightful.
>>
File: pew.jpg (733 KB, 1906x2221)
733 KB
733 KB JPG
>>64582328
GO TO BED, MAC
>>
>>64582328
Twenty thousand years ago, an ancient pantheon of gods took it upon themselves to stop the Old Ones from doing whatever it was they were doing (I haven’t completely decided yet). However, the gods were unable to actually kill them. Instead, they sacrificed themselves to merely chain the Old Ones temporarily. The Old Ones weren't actually worried about this, since even a decade trapped is a relative moment for them. However, the true trap was that the gods set up a time-loop. The Old Ones usually never bother trying to break out, since to their eternal perspective, they're about to be freed anyway.

Technically, the god-corpses still exist, but only as shades of divinity. More forces of nature within the prison than actual divine beings. This is mostly to rationalize the PCs being able to use the Cleric and Paladin classes, and other divine magic.
>>
>>64582281
Not bad. Fixes the problem of multiple attacks on a caster also, since sorcerer's can quicken shit.
>>
>>64582218
Doesn’t even need to be debated since their mist form specifically cannot travel through water. If they die underwater it’s gg
>>
>>64582218
It's weightless and can't pass through water, which means you could interpret it as a bubble that rises to the surface or just a lump that gets held in place. Personally the first one makes more sense to me, since it's mist. The fly speeds has nothing to do with it, as all a swim speed does is assure you don't have to spend extra movement to move to swim.
Also keep in mind that if the water is running water then the vamp just flat out dies with no chance to enter its mist form.
>>
File: 1256125.jpg (108 KB, 736x1104)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
reposting my desire for a comfy adventuring party of Fighter/Wiz/Rogue/Cleric
HUMAN ONLY!
>>
File: smart kyouko.png (58 KB, 421x248)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
Everyone is having fun playing in MY campaign!
>>
>>64582495
I will play wizard or rogue
>>
>https://twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/1095138051993423872
>two weeks to go
Well fuck, I hope they don't push back all future UA releases.
>>
>>64582510
congrats!
>>
Any DMs here looking for players by any chance? Alternatively, does anyone know of good places to find a group? My friends quit playing so I'm lost.
>>
>>64582328
>Nathaniel, Athena, Ross, and Ellisar
those had better be character names
>>
>>64582530
>it's TOTALLY coming out this time guys
>THIS TIME it's different
>PROMISE
I can't believe people are still falling for this.
>>
>>64582530
>future UA releases
>>
>>64582530
>two months of waiting
>it's going to be shit and I'm going to have to adjust it anyways
kill me lads
>>
>>64582460
So the mist form displaces the water? I don't think so chief.
>>
File: blood_minister.png (160 KB, 499x280)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>64582426
I'm actually not 100% on what's going to bring them into the prison. I think it's going to be an Old One making a half-assed escape attempt by reaching out of the prison, bringing in a few outsiders to sow chaos. Maybe it's even an automatic thing that the Old One in question isn't aware of.

The players are currently level 0 nobodies. They'll be offered power, and they'll accept. I know they'll accept, because they won't get to level if they don't. In character, they’ll fall unconscious and dream of a life they never lived, still themselves, but better. Essentially, this is where they’ll choose their class.

The characters will each travel to the island (where the Old Ones were trapped) for various reasons, and will all accept a transfusion of blood.

Basically this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbH9jh5zU08
>>
File: 1545428201931.jpg (441 KB, 1600x900)
441 KB
441 KB JPG
>>64582510
Glad to hear it, anon.
>>
>>64582564
Their original form displaced the water. If they’re under still water they can’t travel through water which they would be surrounded by.
>>
>>64582565
why the fuck would you post extremely detailed information about your setting when you know at least one of your players are lurking?
>>
>>64582534
>>64582566
Praise me more please
>>
File: Metal Magic.png (140 KB, 510x560)
140 KB
140 KB PNG
>>64582281
To add, if you *reaally* want to make them have more metal weapon type magic you can add this as a 1st level feature or tie it into Metal Attunement. Its not a requirement, but I know some people might like having it.
>>
>>64582601
what's really great about your game?
>>
repelling blast was a mistake
>>
>>64582624
War Caster & Repelling Blast is pretty based.
>>
>Forge Cleric throws a bunch of tiny dead animals someone else kills into a crematorium inhabited by a small fire elemental
What happens?
>>
>>64582624
Objectively wrong.
>>
>>64582637
I guess they burn.
>>
>>64582600
I'm pretty sure none of them browse 4chan, much less its /tg/ board.

Even if they do, the chance is low that they'll find this information while the thread is up, given how fast these threads move.

Basically, it's a low-risk way to allow anonymous commentary on the setting.

>>64582540
...yes, those are character names.
>>
File: 9fd.gif (2.08 MB, 500x281)
2.08 MB
2.08 MB GIF
>>64582601
Only if you promise to keep doing your best, anon.
>>
What artisan's tools would it make sense for a goblin pc to have proficiency with
>>
>>64582678
Cook's Utensils. Woodcarver's for a Batiri goblin in crafting their own mask.
>>
>>64582678
That depends on where the Goblin grew up and what they were doing. Alchemy, Cooking, and Woodcarvers usually come to mind, but who knows.
>>
>>64582637
bad stink
>>
>>64582699
They group up in a typical goblin village and then lived alone in the wilderness, occasionally going into human settlements to steal supplies
>>
>>64582637
There are a few possibilities.
>The dead animals go in and are burned to ash, like most things in a crematorium
>The dead animals are converted into magical biofuel, activating a series of conveyor belts and assembly machines that the party must navigate
>The element rapidly begins dividing, and the party must flee the onslaught of flame
>The fire elemental revives into an efreet, and turns the cleric into a genie girl as "reward" for freeing him before departing to unleash his evil minions and try to conquer the world
>>
>>64582713
Woodcarvers.
>>
>>64582713
I don't know how grew up became group up
>>
>>64582612
Everyone's really into the roleplaying and thought the combat was challenging but fair!
>>
>>64581885
UA link isn't working wtf

I want to play a qt boi
>>
>>64582540
nope just weird parents
>>
What sort of magic items do I give a Phoenix Sorc?
>>
File: zombie.jpg (109 KB, 733x1000)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>Make a way of the long death Monk inspired by this
>End up in a party of 2 Paladins and a Cleric
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>64582540
What's wrong with Ross?
>>
>>64582777
cyanide
>>
>>64582678
similar question, what artisan's tools would be useful for a wizard?
>>
>>64582426
I'll be using a number of homebrewed mechanics designed to better capture the feeling of Bloodborne.

Cursed Soul:
Power was offered and accepted, but it came with a price that has been stamped irrevocably onto your soul. Restlessness is your new default state of being, monotony an intolerable agony.

• You are compelled by your nature to seek. You gain the title of Hunter.

• You have experienced a life that never was. Regardless, it has changed you, body, mind, and soul.

• You gain access to the Hunters’ Dream. For a time, you can find peace there.

• You may store up to twenty Quicksilver Bullets in your blood.

• When you die, you wake in the Hunter’s Dream. However, something is almost always left behind. Roll on the Indefinite Madness table, and suffer the effects.

• You gain an Insight Point. You cannot have fewer than 0 Insight Points at any time, though even at 0 points, the touch of Insight ever lingers.

• The deities of the wider world reject you for your cursed soul. To one degree or another, they find your very existence abhorrent. Beware their clergy.
>>
>>64582536
As far from here as humanly possible.
>>
File: l5nxhfiqfrf21.png (336 KB, 800x800)
336 KB
336 KB PNG
>>64582777
>Fire Dervish Cloak
>Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement)

>This flowing cloak sounds like a crackling fire when you walk in it. The cloak has 5 charges and regains all expended charges each day at dawn. Once per turn, you can replace any amount of your walking movement speed in order to spin in place instead. You can expend a charge for every ten feet of movement you sacrifice in this way as part of your movement, causing the cloak to erupt in an inferno around you as you spin. Creatures within 5 feet of you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d6 fire damage for every charge you spend in this way. When a creature takes damage from the cloak in this way, that creature can't make opportunity attacks against you for the rest of your turn. The DC for this feature is equal to 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Dexterity modifier.
>>
>>64582637
fire elemental gets snackies.
num num.
>>
>>64582819

The Hunter’s Dream
Long ago, those touched by the Curse were doomed to fall into madness. The Dreamer sacrificed himself in an attempt to save them. By trapping himself in a prison of his own creation, he was able to create a refuge where even Hunters might find some measure of peace, however temporary.

The Hunter’s Dream reaches out and connects to the minds of Hunters, catching them when they die. Before the Hunter’s Dream, the Soul-Cursed would fall into the Nightmare void between life and death, clawing themselves back to reality only at great personal cost.

The Hunter’s Dream passively reduces the effects of the Nightmare by providing a refuge in the storm. At its edges, an endless rain falls. If one were to wander into the rain, and further away, they would find much worse than rain.

The Dreamer appears as a hooded skeleton. He’s made peace with his situation, and offers conversation and advice to passing Hunters. He’s partially aware of the cycle.

Hunters may connect to the Hunter’s Dream by using way-lanterns. The lanterns are invisible and immaterial to anyone not touched by Insight. You’re not quite sure they actually exist. When looked at out of the corner of your eye, you could swear they look like skulls.

Once a Hunter has found a lantern, they can travel to and from it using the Hunter’s Dream.
>>
>>64581898
Yes, don't kill lawful good cannibals though
>>
>>64582636
you get AoOs when they leave your threatened AREA. So assuming they just walk immediately around you to reach the squishies, when you go to hit them behind you leaving your threat zone with repelling blast, you push them TOWARDS the squishies with each crackling bolt that lands.

Very bad strategy. At least without PAM.
Warcaster+Repelling+PAM is hilarious.
>>
File: madmans_knowledge.png (215 KB, 408x409)
215 KB
215 KB PNG
>>64582892
Insight points:

Insight points increase your ability to comprehend the eldritch. This can be both good and bad

Insight points are added to your passive insight score.

High passive insight can allow you to see that which can’t be seen.

High passive insight can cause you to take extra psychic damage from some effects.

You may spend Insight to remove Madness effects. More profound Madness is more difficult to remove.

Insight points subtract from some Wisdom saving throws, one per five points.
>>
So a cleric casts Spirit Guardians. And then they follow up with Sanctuary the next turn and spam cure wounds.

Does this work? I think it works with RAW.
>>
>>64582789
>You-you-you... You threw my sandwich away... My sandwich? MY SANDWICH?!!
>>
>>64582962
RAW: Sanctuary isn't stopped if an already-cast spell deals damage. RAI: A damaging activity ends the spell.
From Crawdad's Twitter
>>
>>64582949

Alternate indefinite Madness Table:

01-05 – You are able to stave off the effects of the madness. You do not gain a permanent effect.

06-45 – The madness has affected you in some way. Roll a d4:
• On a 1, you have developed a slight tremor in your hands. Reduce your Athletics, Acrobatics, Stealth and Sleight of Hand rolls by 1.
• On a 2, your memory has been affected and you can’t recall information as easily. Reduce your Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature and Religion rolls by 1.
• On a 3, you are not as attuned with the world. Reduce your Animal Handling, Insight, Medicine, and Survival rolls by 1.
• On a 4, your confidence has been shaken and you have developed a stammer. Reduce your Persuasion, Deception, Intimidation and Performance rolls by 1.
• These effects cost 1 Insight Point to remove.

46-55 – The madness you’ve experienced has distorted your perception of reality. Roll a d2:
• On a 1, you see things in the shadows that aren’t there. When you aren’t in bright light, you have disadvantage on all Perception rolls that rely on sight.
• On a 2, you are constantly hearing things. You have disadvantage on all Perception rolls that rely on sound.
• These effects cost 1 Insight Point to remove.
>>
>>64582678
potters or painters tools? albeit not of typical contents.

Leatherworkers, albeit not the typical skins used.

How about cobblers tools? Goblins like shoes, right?
>>
>>64583000
Good to know, I used this to dick over my players, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't cheating.
>>
File: YiJXDTi.jpg (403 KB, 1072x1500)
403 KB
403 KB JPG
>>64583017

Alternate indefinite Madness Table continued:

56-65 – The madness has caused you to forget something once important to you. Choose a skill you are proficient in. You are no longer proficient in it. You may spend 1 Insight Point to restore the memory.

66-75 – The madness has crept into your subconscious and you have awful night terrors when you sleep. Whenever you take a long rest, roll a d6. On a 1, you do not gain the benefits of a long rest. This includes regaining lost HP, regaining spell slots and any abilities that reset. You do however recover HD, and can switch out spells. This effect costs 1 Insight Point to remove.

76-85 – The madness has severely distorted your perception of reality. You are no longer sure of what is real and fake. You have disadvantage on all Perception rolls. This effect costs 1 Insight Point to remove.

86-90 – Your spirit has been broken in some way and you are now more susceptible to danger. Roll a d6 (1=STR, 2=DEX, 3=CON, 4=INT, 5=WIS, 6=CHA). Whichever you roll, reduce that Saving Throw by 1. This effect costs 2 Insight Points to remove.

91-95 – The madness you’ve experienced has caused you to lose the edge on many of things you were highly trained in. Reduce your proficiency bonus by 1. This effect costs 2 Insight Points to remove.

96-99 – You have been severely touched by the madness of the Eldritch. Roll a d6 and a d2. The d6 determines which stat is affected (see above) and the d2 determines how many points of that stat you lose. This effect costs 3 Insight Points to remove.

100 – You completely lose your mind and fall unconscious, your mind a slave to one of the Old Ones. While you aren’t dead, you are far from alive and nothing short of a Greater Restoration spell can break your catatonia. Even if/when you awake, you still suffer the stat and proficiency loss from above. This state cannot be undone by spending an insight point. (Sidequest activated...)
>>
Imagine being a fucking snake with a human head on it.
>This post made by the Yuan-ti gang
>>
>>64583073
no one gives a shit about your bloodborne homebrew

enjoy making the game for your players but you're spamming the thread with untested, unbalanced trash that would fit in on dndwiki
>>
>>64582426
>However, the true trap was that the gods set up a time-loop. The Old Ones usually never bother trying to break out, since to their eternal perspective, they're about to be freed anyway.
I like this idea
>>
>>64582722
Anon, you deserved this (you)
>>
>>64582947
Unless they run away from you in which you can push them away. You can also choose not to use repelling blast after pushing them away.
>>
>>64583097
I guess I was mostly hoping for some feedback on improving it. I imagine there are at least a few fans out there that have a passing interest in this sort of thing.
>>
What race would work best as the starting point for reskining into Half-Genies?
>>
>>64582811
what kind of wizard? if they're of an artificy bent like a transmuter, smiths or tinkers tools. or maybe jewelers if the more casty side of magic item making.

if more chemist, alchemist.

cartographer if a conjuration wizard l9oking to map the planes.

but calligraphers is probably the most vanilla. spellbooks and scrolls and magic circles takes some pretty fancy scripting.
>>
>>64583133
Isn't that just genasi?
>>
>>64583133
Gensai
>>
>>64583126
Ignore official booktards like >>64583097, I'll look it over if you put it all into a single pdf or pastebinm
>>
>>64582804
huh, because of the death explosion. neat idea.

>>64583133
oh boy another didn't read the book guy. next i hope he asks for something crazy like a human-orc crossbreed or a birdperson.
it's genasi
>>
>>64583133
was this supposed to be funny?
>>
>>64582993
Ross was a Barbarian that didn't dump INT
>>
What race would work best as the starting point for reskining into half-human, half-orc Hybrids?
>>
>>64583205
Halflings. Turns out, orc hybrids are teeny little potato people.
>>
>>64583202
sure dumped CHA though
>>
>>64583133
>https://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/featured-races/arg-ifrit/

Genasi or look into some Pathfinder races.
>>
Hey anons
Can someone give me some build pointers if I want to try to recreate the ad&d fighter/mage/thief multiclass in 5e? General concept is a clothed or light armored character that can swing a sword, throw a fireball, buff himself a bit or at least have some useful utility spells, deal with locks and traps and sneak around
>inb4 bard
>>
>>64583178
He doesn't clarify how bullets work, or for that matter anything he labeled as a mechanic except for the meme insanity table. This guy put a 1/100 chance of effective character death on a table and labeled it as "sidequest" potential.

His plot hook could have just been that the characters all awaken in the same room, hooked up to blood transfusions, but instead does some dumb shit that solidifies that they can sail out of there. He assumes they'll accept power to stay and do... what?

The entire thing is shit. Asking him to make a pdf is fine but fuck man. Can you blame me for writing imbalanced, dndwiki tier trash off when we have multiple playtested splatbooks and several core handbooks that are balanced and fun?
>>
>>64583239
>Pathfinder
>>
>>64583256
Either you go a rapier & shield dexfighter/rogue with sneak attack and arcane trickster or you do a bard. Eldritch Knight might work but might be a bit too martial for what you're looking for
>>
>>64583256
Fuck off min-maxing faggot.
>>
>>64583185
its weird how many bird or otherwise flying races we have stats for.

Three kinds of Aven, Aarocka, Kenku, Sirens, and Razorclaw shifters.

then there's winged tieflings, one kind of aasimar, winged elves...

Same is true for aquatic too though, I guess. that's just less day-to-day useful.
>>
>>64583256
>inb4 bard
i mean, you're literally just describing a bard though. maybe an arcane trickster/wizard multiclass?
>>
>>64583271
I think we could help him make it good honestly, which I'll happily do when he condenses it all into a pdf anony. I shitpost a lot but i'm a sucker for gothic fantasy
>>
>>64583287
>Creates all these flying races
>Banned in AL
Makes me think.
>>
>>64583274
useful for stealing bare bones concepts from. just remember to remove all fetish fuel and that paizo doesn't know how numbers, real or game combat, or basic social interactions work.
>>
>>64583287
The devs got a thing for bird ladies, I guess.
>>
>>64583256
EK-AT-Bladesinger multiclass.
>>
>>64583318
Pathfinder has fetish fuel?
>>
>>64583256
That's literally just a Bard, tho
>>
>>64583308
Are they?
>>
>>64583308
A lot of module plots can be solved by flying up a window and stealing something, anon
>>
>>64583238
WE WERE ON A BREAK!
>>
>>64583348
That sounds like more bad module design.
>>
>>64583284
How is this minmaxing, it’s an old archetype that doesn’t shine in any particular area but is fun for all the unique synergies in gameplay
>>
>>64583274
No one cares what game or system you take from for homebrew. There are numerous genie races in PF so taking from there is natural.
>>
>>64583367
Shut the fuck up. You want to do everything in the party and outshine others. There is never a good reason to multiclass outside of min-maxing.
>>
>>64583256
Hey anons
give me some build pointers if I want to recreate the Rules Cyclopedia Halfling, Elf or Dwarf?

General concept is 'is a Dwarf.' Or Halfling. Or Elf. You get the idea.
>>
>>64583336
are you new, ignorant, or memeing?

Lamashtu alone brings a ton of them to the table.
>>
>>64583348
Sounds like an admission that flight is too strong for low level play
>>
>>64583308
kenku and shifters don't fly. they're more like werebirds.
>>
>>64583459
I'm not that anon, I'm just commenting why it's banned -- it doesn't matter to me as my plots can't be solved by spell or ability X in 10 minutes
>>
>>64581885
So. How does one join the strike? Just stop DMing until the release?
>>
>>64583178
Thanks for the offer.

Overall, the idea I'm going for is this:

Characters gain insight, which lets them interact with the Eldritch. This can be good or bad.

Characters can die and respawn, but there are consequences. Insight points are a limited resource, and spending them should be a decision not made lightly. Thus, characters who hoard Insight are more likely to suffer madness debuffs than those who do not.

The setting includes firearms and trick weapons. They will be taken from a homebrew resource I found, which can be viewed here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxIsB-k2v2a-YWJDekdZS3F4Yjg/view
>>
>>64578959
The front page of the site has a download link you buffoon.
>>
>>64583477
Use cropped porn for your character art and/or Roll20 tokens.
>>
File: Lamashtu.jpg (82 KB, 720x720)
82 KB
82 KB JPG
>>64583431
>A complete room is designed with the Lamashtu symbol on 1 wall and a floor tile. Birthing pool for the pregnant victims to give birth to horrors.

The fuck. I guess it's a good thing I stick to homebrew settings then.
>>
File: everyday.jpg (28 KB, 279x319)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
Rolled 15, 6, 14, 18, 5, 6 = 64 (6d20)

rate my houserules
>you must like my dmPC
>>
>>64583535
>6 CHA
not even god could make me love someone like this
>>
>>64583535
>Clumsy
>Foolish
>Socially awkward
You'll be pregnant within a week, anon.
>>
>>64583403
What if you realised your class was garbage and are just desperate to be useful at all?
>>
File: -cueGnRCzpw.png (901 KB, 1280x602)
901 KB
901 KB PNG
>>64583509
Okay.
Insight is fine, but I do not like the sanity effects table: 1% chance of losing your character isn't fun, although I actually like the idea of a sidequest. You should make a list of effects, all of them bad, and force the players to pick from one whenever they would otherwise roll on the madness table. Hard choices are fun and you should force them.

What do you say?
>>
>>64583296
>>64583343
Bards don’t throw fireballs and are generally charismabros who know how to play music of some kind, not the same thing as a f/m/t which is more like a dex gish with thief skills
>>64583403
My campaign is just me and a warlock, dick
I don’t want to outshine anyone
The fun part of dnd for me is having lots and lots of tools to do unexpected things every encounter, I like having a big list of things I can do and see how I can combine them to overcome the encounter
A pure wizard fighter or rogue should be better at any given thing, the ideal of this character type is not being very good at any of them but like I said earlUse, being able to use the broad skill set to find interesting synergies and solutions
>>
>>64583403
what about F L A V O R?
>>
>>64583609
I could see doing that. They probably wouldn't choose the worst options at first, so as a result they would end up accruing more and more effects.

In-universe, characters who hoard Insight would essentially be going mad. It'd just be a creeping sort of madness, that isn't necessarily apparent at first glance. Might be pretty cool, actually.
>>
>>64583638
Bards can pick up Fireball through Magical secrets. Lore would let you pick it up as early as level 6 but would hurt your melee ability a bit without any extra attacks or other melee capacity.
>>
>>64582840
> This is really cool, thank-you.
>>
is it possible to forge a ring that allows the wearer to be mentally dominated by the wielder of another ring IE the ring of power

Does an item link spell exist?
>>
>>64583676
Are blade bards or valor bards more like what I’m describing
>>
>>64583607
all 5e classes are plenty playable, you were doing something wrong, or at the table with spotlight stealing optimizers, don't stoop to their level just find something they haven't stolen yet.
>>
>>64583607
i once multiclassed druid from a finesse battlemaster because of that. Tell you what though, pack tactics and maneuvers are a neat combo.

wouldn't recommend it as a minmax strategy at all but it was FUN
>>
>>64583638
>Bards don’t throw fireballs
Magical Secrets. Bam.
>dex gish with thief skills
Literally a Bard.
>>
>>64583673
I like the idea of forcing painful choices so you have to choose between crippling insanity X and crippling insanity Y rather than "here's hoping I don't get a 100 and lose my character lelel"
>>
>>64583695
Valor is more support. I think Blade Bards make the best Red Mage/FMT style characters.
>>
>>64583736
FMT?
>>
File: 1549307375313.png (841 KB, 960x960)
841 KB
841 KB PNG
Pets. Do you allow them?
>>
>>64583736
I wish Blade got seperate dies to use for their flourishes though. It's a waste to use Bardic Inspiration for a piddly amount of damage or a little extra AC.
>>
>>64583760
Female-to-Male
>>
>>64583761
Sure.
>>
>>64581924
Power Word Killed the paladin after she almost smote the lich to death.
>>
>>64583695
Blades Bard most likely they can use weapon's as spellcasting focuses for their bard spells. The only thing you have to deal with is waiting for those big damage spells to come online. Magical Secrets is a 10th, 14, 16, and 18th level feature. But with those you can swipe up really everything you probably want:

>Fireball/Lightning Bolt/Steel Wind Strike/Cone of Cold
>Haste
>Bigby's Hand/Distructive Wave/Sun Beam
>Banishment
>Wish
>Force Cage/Gate/Meteor Swarm
And you can cast all of this with your sword.
>>
>>64583727
Eh, it wouldn't have been permanent. I actually stole the table from someone else, where it really would have been character death.

So, I had the idea to turn it into a sidequest trigger. It would take one or two sessions at the most, forcing the party to track down some divine artifact or other.

I'm not married to the idea or anything, though. I'd kinda been leaning towards removing it anyway, since it would really mess with the flow of the story.
>>
>>64581924
not yet
>>
>>64583638
>Bards don’t throw fireballs
wrong, magical secrets
>complaining that they have a mental stat dependancy but wants to land a fireball
hmm
bards don't have to play music and can easily be a dex gish with thief skills; you already have expertise and weapon and armor proficiencies, so just pick lore to get fireball 1 level later than a wizard or one of the weapon focused ones and get it at level 10, and grab thieves' tools from your background
>>
>>64583801
>10, 14, 18
Is what I meant to say. You only get 6 spells.
>>
>>64583776
well you don't have to use them, get them back on a short rest at 5th and you get infinite d6s at 14
>>
How overdone are hateful, spiteful and savage druids who despise law and civilization? I've been tempted to make one for my next campaign but I'm not sure if its too cliche?
>>
File: tsun.jpg (44 KB, 521x319)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
>>64583810
Think of it as like watching an anime. The plot is good, the MC and the side cast are all cool, the tension is building up to a climax and--
>oh shit why are there straight episodes where FUCKING NOTHING happens
>it's just the MC getting closer to the sponsor-mandated girlfriend
>the climax is rushed and shitty and you're left with the taste of ass in your mouth

That's a plot tumor, don't do plot tumors
>>
File: DzEY8xZVYAUB9Dd.jpg (34 KB, 540x510)
34 KB
34 KB JPG
Mind-Flayer playable race when?
>>
File: Illithids.pdf (1.81 MB, PDF)
1.81 MB
1.81 MB PDF
>>64583897
Ah shit I forgot to link the PDF when I got home, sorry mate I've been knackered all day. I had a player use this, I'd recommend nixing the Magic Resistance because combined with everything else it's rather strong. Otherwise it's fine and you could play a Rogue illithid (as the document describes) if your DM doesn't want you playing Evil characters.
>>
STAT A RING OF POWER ITEMS AND ABILITIES, SPECIFICALLY THE ONE RING
>>
>>64583916
I've always wanted to play an Illithid that's trying to stave off his hunger through martial prowess and self discipline.
>>
>>64583883
Anon, if you're always worrying about whether or not something is cliche, you'll never be able to enjoy a campaign with horrible monsters, dastardly villains, devious plots, glittering treasures, exciting locales, kissable princesses, musical numbers, a large quantity of elephants, and at least one guy who sounds like Ed Wynn ever again.
>>
>>64583942
The document says they need to eat at least 1 brain a month to survive, but otherwise can subsist on stuff like duck liver and other organs from animals. Just have him sneak a brain from a bad guy sometimes. If he's an evil person, you were going to kill him anyway probably, why not eat his brain?
>>
>>64583943
You know what, anon? You're right. I should just play whatever is fun for me!
>>
>>64583918
Pretty sure that Cubicle 7 has beaten us to it.
>>
>>64582281
>Sorcerer that doesn't have 13+CON+Shields for AC
REEEEEEEEE FIX ITT NOWW!
>>
>>64583952
Need to circumvent that with a Psionic Power we probably won’t see until the next Mystic/Psion playtest draft. Preferably as a Wild Talent...if they ever impliment that as a subsystem again.

Actually.

Would it he so crazy to treat Wild Talents like the Dragon Mark subrace rules or something to that?
>>
Is GOOlock fun? The flavor speaks to me.
>>
>>64583688
sounds like fetishbait.

>>64583403
Nah. Assassin Shadowmonk is a great ninja, but a horrible "build."

Totem Barbarian Beast Ranger? Literally Minsc, isn't it? Go for the eyes Boo, I'll go for the throat!

Swashbuckler/StormSorc is like, the best debonair pirate.

There are tons of flavorful multiclasses that don't powergame.

And that's not even bringing up things that are mechanically motivated but gimmicks not optimizing, like the Captain America. Or the señior vorpal kickasso build of just grabbing as many cantrips as you can everything else be damned? hardly optimized, but fun to play if you can keep it all straight, and hilarious to roleplay having to hunt down and learn it all.
>>
>>64583996
Enjoy yourself, anon.
>>
>>64582128

AC becomes marginally More powerful as you stack it. MC into fighter at least 1 for Defense. Permanent 22 AC with no magic items is pretty incredible!
>>
>>64583721
Fun is good.
>>
>>64583761
as npcs? sure.

as players? kind of a stretch, but I'm willing if they can stay behaved and actually participate. If some dude's parrot is a better player than Steve, then I'll take any positive influence available.
>>
>>64584074
that's all that matters friend
>>
>>64583727
tough choices with consequences are generally always the better alternative to randomization.

if I could design an rpg only out of the former as some kind of diceless system that didn't suck, I would.
>>
>>64583761
>that pose
Is that really...?
>>
>>64584160
Quite right. I just see people here shit on warlocks all the time. Most classes, actually. The game itself, really. Point taken.
>>
File: bunch-of-savages.jpg (57 KB, 650x366)
57 KB
57 KB JPG
>>64581898
>entire village
see, this is my problem
if you're talking wholesale slaughter
take-no-prisoners
leave-no-survivors
show-no-mercy
then it is not an act of good.
Because if this is a VILLAGE of cannibals
it implies to me that there would be children
and other innocents you could spare
as a DM you want to give your characters tiny windows of redemption
through which they may realign themselves into a more righteous paradigm
and remain agents of good but if they slay and ENTIRE village?
no, that's evil
I might call it lawful evil, but it's evil
because think of the little cannibal babies
think about the cannibal mothers
who probably don't even eat meat on a daily basis
but even when they do it helps their mammary glands lactate
and give precious calories and nutrients to her developing child
get your PCs thinking about that the next time they slaughter a village and start waving the heroes' banner
>>
>have 2 weeks to prep for next session
>do nothing for 13 days
>spend 8 hours doing stuff for dnd the next day
>only use about 10% of it of due to my own volition, just improving almost everything they run into
>repeat every session
>players are all really happy with how the game is going an give me both praise and constructive criticism without my asking
this is not what I expected from DMing, but Im having a great time none the less
>>
>>64583952
mmmm, or he learns from an alhoon patron and undying pact lets him go without eating.
>>
>>64584130
>If some dude's parrot is a better player than Steve, then I'll take any positive influence available.
basado y rojopillado
>>
>>64584074
As fun as any warlock most of the time. Awakened Mind has good potential for shenanigans. Combine it with Comprehend Languages and you basically get bootleg ritual Tongues. There's some real whacky shit you could get up to with Mask of Many Faces + Actor + Awakened Mind. But I have to warn you that you need a DM who's willing to play ball with the concept. I've had a couple DMs who just no-sell Deception in general.
>>
>>64584193
The children are tainted anon. They grow up believing cannibalism to be normal. Even if they were placed in a home in which they tried to teach them otherwise, they will always believe it to be normal.

Killing them is a mercy. God will take them as they are innocent, rather than when they are adults killing others to sake their desires.
>>
>>64584119
To be fair there are a lot of classes that just happen to fuse really well together thematically and also happen to be really strong mechanically.

>Warlock/Sorcerer- Patron powers and Sorcerer Innate have EXTREMELY similar origins and have a very easy justification by the Patron's magic mutating into Sorcerous powers or your Sorcerous abilities origin came from your patron. EX) Celestial Warlock/Divine Soul Sorcerer, Wild Magic Sorcerer/Fiend, Fey, GOO Warlock, and Shadow Sorcerer/Hexblade Warlock
>Swashbuckler Rogue/Fighter Battle Master or Sword Bard/Swashbuckler or Sword Bard/Battle Master- Its the perfect duelist with both high charm, mobility, panache, style, and maneuvers.
>Celestial Warlock/Paladin, Divine Soul/Paladin, Fey Warlock/Ancient's Paladin- It kinda speaks for itself considering oaths and blessings working very well for this.

I think there are just some multiclasses that fit pretty well both mechanically and thematically for a lot of character concepts and improve fun. So i'm not the type to shriek when someone does it.
>>
>>64584251
Yeah, I've been there. That does sound enjoyable, though.
>>
>>64584214
Or Timeless body monk.
>>
man divination wizard is so fucking good
>>
>>64584272
I had a Paladin/Sorcerer that I wanted to do but my DM shot me down and accused me of power gaming.

I just thought a knight that grew up so close to dragons would likely awaken at some point to a Draconic Sorcerer.
>>
>>64584327
once you play a div wiz everything else feels fuckin useless man, no control over anything
>>
Any Barbarian build worth playing past 8? Or is it still just Barb 8 into MC
>>
File: D2isbetter.jpg (95 KB, 768x433)
95 KB
95 KB JPG
>>64584264
goddamnit anon have you never seen The Mighty Ducks?
It's about a ragtag group of youths who band together to play a white people's sport.
Their leader is a boozy Emilio Estevez who drives them towards victory.
In the context of the game, the party is Emilio Estevez and the cannibal kiddies are the titular peewee sports team.
And are you really saying that a 4 year old is going to know how the sausage is made?
>>
>>64584074
i enjoyed it. had an aboleth for a patron. his goal was world mind-control domination and revenge against the gods for sticking all these inhabited superislands in the middle of his perfectly respectable primordial sea.

my character was too young (and frankly gullible even if she wasn't) to realize his actual plans. She just knew she'd had someone steal her home before too, a lot of the gods definitely are jerks, good Mr. Fish took her in and gave her powers to protect herself from meanies with, and anywhere she helps Mr. Fish take over suddenly everyone is happy and kind and not being jerks doing things like stealing people's houses just because their parents left on another treasure adventure but still haven't came back even though it's been three years and now the house is... fork-cloved or whatever, so clearly Mr. Fish must be a good ruler and the rightful God.

honestly my single favorite character I've ever played
>>
>>64583892
Noted.

Okay, I've made a few changes. I think I want to keep at least some element of randomness to the madness debuffs. This forces players to occasionally suffer larger penalties, without the worst penalties showing up every single time.

However, within almost every tier the player must now make a choice. Mechanically, this means that this version of the table is actually less severe than the first version, since players can choose to spare their most important skills and abilities.

However, psychologically the choosing itself will likely cause them to second-guess themselves, and possibly even feel regret later. After all, it wasn't the dice that specifically made them degrade their Investigation rolls; they chose to take that debuff themselves.

The 1/100 sidequest has been removed entirely. the final tier now extends from 96–100.

I'm still trying to figure out something better for the 66–75 tier. It does not involve any type of choice on the behalf of the player, so it's less interesting than the others. It also encourages the party to sit around, twiddling their fingers, whenever the effect activates.
>>
>>64584200
Your players give you criticism? I wish my players cared that much.
>>
>>64584272
don't forget Oathbreaker/Hexblade for the ultimate edgelord combo, the dark power he now serves being the bloodthirsty blade itself.
>>
>>64584377
Nice.
>>
>>64584393
Some players might find it rude to give criticism without being asked for it.
>>
>>64584393
They sure do. We finished up one evening, our third or fourth session, and I knew it had been our worst. I was thinking about what went wrong, when suddenly one of them spoke up, saying "I don't know about you guys, but tonight felt off and I would like to fix that. What did we do wrong?" We figured out the pacing of everything was off because I didn't allow for the timeline to be flexible with what they were doing, and everything got thrown off from there.
They also pointed out things I did well, like details in combat or the world, the personality of some the NPCs, and a plot twist they liked. We've been doing it after every session since
>>
>>64584393
Id give my DM criticism but I know he’s a soft bitch and would take it personally without telling us
>>
>>64584415
That one and Conquest/Hexblade are also well put together.
>>
>>64584376
samefagging bc I forgot but
you could probably get those kids in a school or a monastery or even a military and they might do alright
gotta be careful though
oh! brain strike!
the clerics of evil gods run reform schools and boot camps for wayward teens
oh that's perfect!
I'm gonna suck my own dick about this for weeks!
>>
>>64584383
Thinking about it again, lowering initiative by 1 isn't anywhere near as bad as lowering proficiency by 1. Maybe if I had them lower their initiative by 3 or something, it would be a tougher choice?
>>
the find familiar spell says you can choose if your familiar is a fey fiend or celestial. If you make a chain lock how do you justify celestial/fey imps and quasits? Or Fiendish Sprites?
>>
>>64583916
>I'd recommend nixing the Magic Resistance because combined with everything else it's rather strong.
Still not as broken as the official Yuan-Ti Pureblood, but I'd definitely remove it to help coax a DM into letting me use this. Hopefully /tg/'s ever-rising animosity towards monster races and nonhuman PCs in general isn't reflective of wider trends. I always feel like I'm raising a red flag whenever I ask to use homebrew as it is.
>>
>>64584499
You don't, you stop acting like a functional illiterate and pick a creature whose creature type matches what you want
>>
>>64584512
Well Monster Races are stated in the book as being stronger than the regular races so its a little more justified to be wary of them in some cases.

>>64584499
>You gain the service of a familiar, a spirit that takes an animal form you choose...
Remember that Find Familiar is a spirit that takes the form of something. When you cast find familiar and summon an Imp that is a spirit you've summoned that looks like an imp but can be Fey or Celestial looking at your choice.
>>
>>64584393
I give mine all the time, but he's a newbie and kind of relies on me to double check his work and give him feedback. He's taken it to heart and the game is massively improved as time goes on.
>>
>>64584512
Monster races have always been hard to work with because they're attempting to turn multiple HD templates into normal progression creatures, so it feels tacked on.

Also the Yuan-Ti Pureblood has the issue that they took one of the highest ecl races and put it more or less straight into the system.

As for nonhuman PCs, it's a meme from the hfy/osr idiots, it's honestly nowhere near what it can be with turbogrogs; there's DMs out there who started out in 1e for who a group that isn't 3/4 human with at most one or two nonhuman tokens (and I insist, token, two of the same race is often a no) is a completely alien concept to this day.
>>
>>64584383
Looking good anon. It's very late here and I need to be up for work in 3 hours but I'll give it a one over again if you're up later!
Have fun
>>
>>64584512
I allow basically whatever in my games if you can make a good character and if you let me review homebrew first. Races not in the setting require some extra work and backstory to explain it but I try to be flexible cause I play with friends and don't have to worry about powergaming or any of that nonsense.
>>
>>64582244
>gets knocked out by measly Sleep spell
The spell simply can’t affect you if you have enough HP, and if you’re at ~24 or below, it’s no worse to be Recalled away by a Sleep than if they hit you for 24 actual damage in the same turn. Essentially, you seem to be worried that you’ll get punked by the spell, but it’s not as much of an issue as you think.
>>
>>64584586
Thanks a bunch for the help, I appreciate it.
>>
>>64584512
I find it funny that people say you should only use Human PCs, but Humans are almost universally the best choice for every class.
>>
>>64584353
whats MC?
>>
So I've got shitloads of RPG experience, zero 5e experience, and an urge to DM some shit.

Where do I start?
>>
>>64583821
I wasn’t complaining about mental stats I just don’t want the character to be charisma based, playing all those roles AND being the party face is just asking for trouble
>>
>>64584638
multi class
>>
>>64584647
Read the PHB and DMG. Spend some time on 5etools. Pick a Module, read through and run it for some friends or something.
>>
>>64584647
buy the PHB, build a character or seven, find a game to play in so you can learn
OR
split the cost of the starter kit with some friends, play that and learn as a group
>>
>>64584377
Another anon, but I'll share a GOOlock I've played.
>Born to a rich family, strong magic bloodline
>When she's ~10 she has a dream where a voice offers awaken her
>She's semi-lucid and decides it must be some sort of dream metaphor for her latent magic potential speaking to her
>Accepts
>It was an ethereal parasite that latches onto her brain
>Feeds on her excess magic power and psychic energy
>Side effect is minor psychosis
>At her patron's subconscious urging, she runs away from home
>She's a reasonably smart girl and figures out what's really going on eventually
>Patron begins to feed her otherworldly knowledge in return for not resisting his presence
>She over time grows deeply affectionate of her patron and gets protective when people notice him
>Mutual desire for yet more magical secrets motivates both of them
I tend to play her as slightly sociopathic, but unceasingly polite. She's fun to RP, but damn some DMs just do not play ball with Deception.
>>
>>64584647
book
>>
>>64584660
>being the party face
There's four different classes with charisma as their primary stat

Also like the F/M/T is literally just Bard with a horrendous XP progression
>>
>>64584647
Reading the goddamned book.
>>
>>64582947
While dropping your hold on a weapon is a free action, I’d still be suspicious that a DM would let “I’m wielding a polearm to get AOOs then dropping it so I can cast a cantrip” fly, since dropping your hold on the weapon disqualifies you for making the AOO since you’re no longer wielding it.

It may work with a one handed quarterstaff though.
>>
>>64584477
Vengeance works with hexblade too though.

Crazy that half our options for paladin might as well have EDGELORD CHA GISH stamped right across the forehead.
How many mechanical variants on the Riku/Sasuke/etc archetype did you want available wizards? this is almost as bad as the birdman situation.
>>
>>64584660
On second thought
Eldritch Knight with criminal background also works since no FMT is ever going to have more than level 3 spells in a normal campaign.
>>
>>64584698
>>64584674
>>64584671
>>64584666
Ok, let's try again.

Where do I start that isn't incredibly obvious?

I figured the fact that I'd read the book and learn the system would be sort of a given.
>>
>>64584721
I still say spend some time on 5etools. It has all the books and important bits in them for free.
>>
>>64584721
You'd think that wouldn't you.
But you would be wrong.
>>
File: flat,550x550,075,f.u3.jpg (60 KB, 550x524)
60 KB
60 KB JPG
Has anyone ever given a player a new Familiar option as a reward for a quest?

>PCs helps Archfey's with a Dragon problem
>Paladin PC asks if he could swear allegiance to them and become a Paladin for them (Sounds random I know there was some build up for this)
>PC after a series of successful checks & RP gets their favor and becomes one of their new Paladins.
>In addition (Because they have the Find Familiar spell) they got a cute Fey Psyudodragon to carefully watch over him.
>>
>Campaign is roll for stats
>Other party members get 80+ each stat total (72 is point buy btw)
>You get 15+12+11+12+11+3 (64)

What do?
>>
>>64584814
ask to re roll and tell the DM that not having two 15s is sub-heroic character in terms of power and you will be lagging behind the rest of the party
>>
>>64584721
play the starter set with some friends or try out the adventurer's league at your local game store
>>
>>64582495
Dibs on Cleric. But I want to be a human looking tiefling with horns.
>>
>>64584814
put the 15 in INT and play a wizard
>>
>>64584814
I wouldn't have to do anything, the people that I play with would all be like ''yeah that's bullshit'' and let me either re-roll or do a point buy
>>
>>64584814
Point out that point buy is objectively better than rolling for stats unless you're gonna run a one shot
Then go 3/11/12/11/15/12, take a race with +1 Wis, and go Moon Druid 20
>>
>>64584814
live by the die die by the die
you got a 15
>>
>>64584827
>>64584844
>rerolling because you got a bad result
just ask your DM to lift the max-15 restriction on point buy, throw in a few more points to the point buy pool, and call it a day
>>
>>64584814
Put the 3 in Constitution, die on your 4th session, roll new character.
>>
>>64582600
>bitch in extreme detail about players and PCs knowing none of them have the stones to discover /tg/ under 4chan
>archives come up in a Google about one of my player's specific deity.
Welp
>>
>>64584863
Everyone can get a 15 in Point Buy tho.
>>
>>64584870
or as I said, they would let me do a point buy
>>
>>64584827
>not having two 15s is bad
Go play vidya
>>
>>64584855
>Then go 3/11/12/11/15/12, take a race with +1 Wis, and go Moon Druid 20
A character with 3 in Strength wouldn't even be able to carry their starting gear.
>>
>>64582536
Meetup. Com not kidding
Flgs via board notice
Adventures league
Craigslist even
Best is recruit new players from existing similar hobbies though
Or make better friends?
>>
>>64584882
so? if the goal is be better than point buy, then whats the point of ever rolling. just put 18s across the board
>>
>>64584892
I said for a heroic character. You can still have fun without those stats, but watching the rest of your party hit attacks you're missing because their to-hit is 2 higher than yours is frustrating. Watching the enemy make a save on your spell and then fail against your ally's spell despite his roll being higher is irritating.
Besides, you can apply that to any thing that gives you a bigger number in the game
>Why do you want a +1 sword, just go play vidya!
>Why do you want your spell save to be higher, just go play vidya!
>Why do you want to be better at a skill, just go play vidya!
>>
>>64584896
So either get lunk the fighter to carry some, or sell it off until you're left with the bare necessities. What does a Druid need beyond a spellcasting focus and some basic armor?
>>
>>64584855
Moon Druid is not allowed.
>>
>>64584931
my nigga
I seek imperfections as much as perfections
>>
>>64582536
Don't play with anyone on /tg/
Go visit your FLGS, see if they've got any ads up for local groups or even an AL group. AL play can be surprisingly good.
>>
>>64584945
>heroism is about starting with a silver spoon and not one but 2 "among the regional best" stats
nah, eat shit, minmaxer
>>
>>64584947
>rolling
>only viable class for shit rolls is banned

I'd run
>>
>>64584947
your DM is an asshole, time to be an asshole back.
3/11/12/15/12/11, take any race with +1 Int, Div Wizard to 20. You're the DM now bitch, you get to fudge the rolls.
>>
>>64584954
five 18s and a 3
>>
>>64584947
so if you rolled 10's across the board he'd make you play the uncommoner?
>>
>>64584968
It's not the class itself that is banned, we can't have double classes in the party and a Chad is already playing Druid.
>>
>>64584978
I don't get what you're trying to say to me I was agreeing with you
>>
>>64584967
heroic power level you fucking retard. maybe read the statement with a comprehension level above that of a third grader and you would understand what I'm talking about you fucking cretin
>>
>>64584986
Sure, there's plenty of great RP potential with a 10-type character.
>>
>>64584975
>Div Wizard to 20. You're the DM now bitch, you get to fudge the rolls.
This is legit, my Div Wizard frustrated my DM to tears and I promised I'd never roll another one.
>>
>>64584999
>muh array ;-;
>>
File: did you hear about x.png (136 KB, 816x768)
136 KB
136 KB PNG
>>64584987
>I want to play a master of sword and sorcery, an Eldritch Knight who blasts and slashes through evil with arcane might
>I want to play a farm boy who can shoot arrows real good, he doesn't understand none of that magic stuff or nothin but he's a local hero
>Sorry, you both picked fighter, one of you has to fuck off with your character concept!
your dm is an asshole and i am now supporting Div Wizard to 19, take a level of knowledge cleric in there so you can healing word and be a team player
>>
>>64585013
imagine if several players were div wizards at once, like 2 or 3. Hell, fucking 6
>>
>>64585025
Halfling Divination Wizard, take Lucky at 4th. Absolutely shit on his game.
>>
>>64585026
Jesus Christ.
>>
>>64584700
You can hold a 2H weapon one-handed when casting a spell though.
>>
>>64585038
Second this. Make the dice your bitch.
>>
>>64585026
who would even be telling the story then at that point
>>
>>64584975
Also not allowed, a Diviner Wizard would be a duplicate as well, >>64584987
>>
>>64585013
>>64585038
>>64585026
See, that's why the no duplicates rule works.
>>
>>64584499
how do YOU justify no celestial, undead, or shadow themed familiar options getting added to the list when the respective archetypes were?

like okay, sure, celestial flying snake is technically a tiny couatl. and a celestial sprite is a coure eladrin.

but like, you even said crawling claw as an npc option for familiars. why is it not available for players its not even good?

AND LANTERN ARCHONS STILL DON'T EVEN HAVE A STATBLOCK
>>
>>64585058
I can understand duplicates on the same subclass but I would totally fucking allow duplicate classes themselves
>>
>>64585048
Yeah, he really should. As a DM who allows just about anything as long as you can roleplay your character well (and have an actual character, not just a meme build you found on 4chan) I'm peeved at his DM for being such a restrictive cunt. Fuck him, fuck his shit game, fuck rolling for stats, and I hope anon's Halfling Divination Wizard with Lucky absolutely ruins that cunt's game.
>>
>>64584647
sounds like by DMing one of the sysyems you already know
>>
>>64584673
skill checks were a mistake.
>>
>>64585025
let the farm boy be a ranger
you get spells at level 2, not 1
>>
>>64584721
matt colville has some videos for beginner DMs that use 5e as their basis.
>>
File: bruh no.jpg (67 KB, 992x992)
67 KB
67 KB JPG
>>64585050
Jesus fucking christ.
3/15/12/11/12/11. Any Dex race. Vuman Rogue with CBE.
Nobody thought those stats would make you worth anything. But now you're going to show them just how wrong they are. Light them the fuck up, cowboy.
Don't forget Stealth Expertise so you can bait your party into a bad fight, then run and hide while they get TPK'd.
Scout, AT, and Thief are all fine subclass choices. AT is probably the strongest but Scout will make your DM annoyed because he can never keep you locked down.
>>
>>64584997
It needed a flaw, the 3 is the flaw

We didn't have these discussions when 18/00 str was a thing
>>
>>64585122
Ignore the "any dex race", I left that in by accident while reworking this post.
>>
>>64585122
>inb4 but that would be a duplicate class
>>
>>64585128
um alright then
>>
File: Faerie.jpg (92 KB, 774x1032)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>64584789
In hindsight a cute Sprite would also have been good. It would go around being cute, ripping out people's potted plants thinking they were sentient, and socialize and party with everything in sight. When things get dangerous it would turn invisible and be really supportive...

Ah well, mistakes were made.
>>
>>64585122
>3/15/12/11/12/11. Any Dex race. Vuman Rogue with CBE.
I'm doing 11/15/3/12/12/11 Vuman Rogue right now actually.

If I'm not getting hit, then the Constitution is not all that bad. Plus, my friend told me that this is totally fine since the module we're playing (HotDQ) is very linear in the beginning and it's basically impossible to die early.

I'm thinking either Arcane Trickster or Mastermind as a subclass.
>>
WHERE ARE THE PERCENTILE STRENGTH ROLLS MEARLS
YOU HACK
>>
>>64585165
>3 Con
>On a d8 class, no less
If nothing else, you'll get to reroll soon and hopefully get a not-shit set.
Or just point buy to something playable.
>>
Is the Weapon Master feat the only way to gain weapon proficiency outside of class proficiencies and a couple of racial bonuses?
What if I only want to gain proficiency with one or two weapon types and don't need more than that?
>>
>>64585122
>>64585165
And in case you're wondering why not STR 3, you wouldn't be able to wear your Burglar's Pack with a strength of 3. I'm carrying 80 pounds right now.
>>
>>64584789
Had a Wizard bully a gazer into submission once. Damn thing was absolutely broken though. Eye rays don't count as attacks, so it could still use them.
>>
>>64585186
Read the bottom right section of page 187 PHB
>>
>>64585165
>If I'm not getting hit, then the Constitution is not all that bad
uhhh
I guess it's workable if you're playing a ranged rogue, but god damn
be sure to make use of the hide bonus action once you hit level 2, if you happen to live that long
>>
>>64585165
>inb4your DM makes you cough due to your poor health giving away your stealth
>>
>>64585181
Percentile strength was a dumb mechanic that needed to die and built too much anticipation for 18 scores in a system where attributes otherwise mostly did nothing besides letting you qualify for shit
>>
>>64585186
Ask your DM to use the XGE training rules for a weapon?
>>
>>64585192
Level 2 is basically guaranteed in Hoard of the Dragon Queen, like he said.
>>
>>64585198
I want osr hipsters to leave.
>>
>>64585212
I know nothing about the module.
Is it a good one?
>>
>>64585228
No. No it is not.
>>
>>64585237
Oh...
Is Out of the Abyss any good?
>>
>>64585228
HotDQ is unironically considered to be THE WORST 5E MODULE of all time.

Literally all the reviews agree, and most literate people on /5eg/ also agree. It's basically a leftover campaign from the boomer era of D&D before they had any writers.

However, it also has "dragons" in it, so it's the 2nd most popular long campaign module after CoS.
>>
>>64585251
>It's basically a leftover campaign from the boomer era of D&D before they had any writers
Elaborate? t. boomer
>>
>>64585248
I can't remember. I do remember Curse of Strahd and Storm King being pretty good. That one has a lot of Underdark stuff which is hit or miss if I remember right? Might be fun.
>>
>>64585271
back when the game was just a dungeon crawl and you had very little in the way of plot or reasoning for a monster being in a place. you could have wyrms, vampires, and oozes all in the same room together and never have to justify it
>>
>>64585271
It has all the vanilla stereotypical shit in it.
Muh Sword Coast setting.
Muh evil dragons.
Even a talking evil sword that only bad people can use.
>>
>>64585284
>back when the game was just a dungeon crawl
damn, so dragon queen has a lot of fightin in it? I wanna do fightin
>>
>>64585296
If that's what you're into, then sure. Its extremely cliche and predictable by today's standards, but it might be neat for a first timer to go through
>>
>>64585296
>so dragon queen has a lot of fightin in it?
Pre 1e Dungeon crawls don't have that much fighting, no
>>
>>64585271
its a railroad with meh story that has to end specific ways because they wrote it to have a sequel
>>
>>64585323
How much railroady compared to Curse of Strahd, Out of the Abyss, Princes of the Apocalypse, Storm King's Thunder and Tales of the Yawning Portal? I felt that these were "super railroady", "railroady", "not that railroady", "super railroady", "railroady depending on the tale".
>>
>>64585160
>Paladin conjures Psyudo-dragon with Find Familiar
>Instead of Psyudo-Dragon a Sprite is summoned
>Sprite: "Hello! Sorry [X Archfey] told me to come instead. They said it would be more fun instead of some tiny dragon!"
You could try this? Gods give and can take away right?
>>
File: evilrat.jpg (48 KB, 960x918)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
Is it a railroad if the players go down your pre-planned path without even the slightest bit of resistance?
Is it a railroad if your setting does not have trains?

Experts say, "No!"
>>
>this guy was forced to roll for stats
>got shitty luck
>can't play the best class for having shit stats because somebody with good stats took it
>can't play the best class for annoying your DM because somebody with good stats took it
>stuck playing some crossbow rogue because it only needs one stat
>have to dump Con because your group actually tracks encumbrance
>all for the end goal of being overshadowed while playing one of the worst 5e modules ever written

Seriously, just run
>>
>>64585403
>>have to dump Con because your group actually tracks encumbrance

>his group is cheating
>>
>>64585348
It's built To use Milestones after specific episodes that you go through in order. I ran it and my players had fun with it, but I also tweaked it a bit on the fly to make it more interesting.
>>
>>64585403
or alternatively, play monk and live dangerously
>>
>>64584814
Well, since all martials are MAD except maybe rogue, your options are rogue or full caster. 15 goes in main attack stat. 3 goes in Cha unless its a cha caster then Int. EB-focus Hexblade could work. Then again, 3 in dex, heavy armor, Vuman magic initiate for shillelagh and magic stone with goodberry is probably best way to stretch your thin stats over a lot of mediocrity, gives good ranged and melee damage and hit and good ac, only problem is the low hp. Or moon druid, just always stay in wildshape.

OR you could double down, and choose a race with a -2 penalty like kobold or orc and have the rare chance to play at a stat of 1, in str or int respectively.

think about it. This your one chance to play a character as smart as a spider, or ooze, or a frog. Non-mammalian intellect here. Not even reptile, snakes and crocs have 2. Below zombies. below ochre jelly. on par with violet fungus, gas spores, and spine throwers, literal plants. A literal unthinking animal, acting purely on instinct.

Flavorwise, wildmagic sorc or ancest/totem barb would be best fit. Almost like a demoniac, literally possessed by the magic or the ghosts. Plus ancest guard does everything on its own so long as you can hit 1 attack a round, may be the rare time to go dex ranged barb. its less damage, but higher AC with med/light armor+shield, and ranged helps you stay alive so your team stays alive.
>>
>>64585403

But the previous game I've played with the same group was my most favorite Roll20 game of all time. The DM is only strict with me because he can most likely sense that I am Jewish, and he's a Labour Party supporter, so he always uses the rules to "contain" my influence. The other gouys get away with stuff outside the rules if they ask the DM for it. I think I deserve the special treatment, and that I should be happy that someone's willing to play with me despite the stigma.
>>
>>64585447
>Well, since all martials are MAD except maybe rogue
Yeah I already went with Rogue, see >>64585165. 3 Cha would make me basically an "NPC" according to these rules
https://dmingwithcharisma.com/2011/10/dd-stats-in-simple-language/
which are canon in the universe.
>>
How do you feel about tempting your players with death?

>Players discover some crazy magical loot that they would really want
>Some being (or perhaps a trap placed by one) won't let them leave with the items unless one of them sacrifices himself
>PCs are free to leave without magical it's at any time
>This is real death and they'd have to roll a new character, no Deus ex machina to save them
>>
>>64585400
Based and evilpilled
>>
>>64585447
>1 fucking STR
>15lb carrying capacity
nice
>>
>>64585165
Well, if you have a Druid in your party already as you said >>64584947 here, then it's really the best option.

Have the Druid summon a constant stream of Goodberries. Whenever you're knocked out, just have them pop one Goodberry in your mouth, and you're back up. The only HP that matters is 0 or 1.
>>
>>64585467
dude just leave the game
>>
>>64585450
>that spoiler
hilarious
>>
>>64585165
>3 con
>hotdq

hwoo dawgy.

and I thought marty and myself tied for "death in third combat of campaign" was bad.

I guess you get to be international champ.
>>
>>64585490
See >>64585450

At least if we have a cripple character, there's some weakness in the party of 80+ rolled supergods (everyone else has at least one 18 and two 16s).
>>
>>64585421
I suppose it would have been more accurate to say 'plays with the encumberance variant', since that makes your carry weight without penalties effectively 5 x strength score instead of 15 x strength score.

Leather, a hand crossbow, and 20 bolts Only comes out to 14 pounds, but he'll go over that as soon as he gets studded leather or has to carry literally anything else. With 45 pounds he has plenty of room to carry all of that. The burglar's pack does weigh 45 itself, but 10 pounds of that is the rope, and another 10 days is rations. The hammer and pitons are also just over 5 on their own and never get used. There's more than enough to ditch there to get under 45 pounds without missing anything crucial.
>>
>>64585467
>Posted on: 23 October 2011
This homebrew ruleset was made three years before the 5e PHB was printed.
I want to strangle your DM.
>>
>>64585506
>variant encumbrance
people actually use this shit?
>>
>>64585510
Huh, interesting. I didn't even notice. But isn't it actually more lenient on players than RAW? If I remember correctly, your character can't even talk if you have less than 4 Intelligence, and that ruleset still allows you to talk.
>>
>>64585395
Wouldn't a player get upset at the removal of their new toy? The sprite does make more sense, but its my fault as a DM that I did not award the better thing.
>>
>>64585516
I'd assume >>64585165 's DM is doing so, since otherwise weight really should never be so much of an issue that you'd go for -4 Con (start with 4 HP, gain 1 per level as a Rogue)
>>
>>64585271
hard railroad (there's even a scripted loss fight), no real plot beyond kill monster get loot, generally bad encounter balance and content.

they outsourced it to total amatuers while they finished up the phb and it shows. Strahd was the first one after the main team (mainly perkins if I had to bet) got back on module designing, and that also too shows.
>>
>>64585348
you felt strahd was railroad?
>>
>>64585521
RAW, your Int score has no bearing on your languages. I don't think having a low Int actually affects anything RAW aside from your Int checks and saves, and niche things like Intellect Devourers needing to beat your raw score.
But the whole "low int = illiterate" started with old editions, then got beat into the ground by Critical Role and never really recovered.
>>
>>64583367
>How is this minmaxing
>archetype that doesn’t shine in ANY particular area
Minimum
>but is fun for ALL the unique synergies in gameplay
Maximum
>>
>>64585573
the brilliant part of that is simply that grog is illiterate because of how he grew up, not because of a lack of understanding, at least not entirely. I've had players chose to be illiterate due to their backstory (one was raised by wolves, the other by a group of illiterate farmers.) neither were bellow 10 int, but only one of them cared about learning to read.
>>
>>64585530
>level 6 rogue
>10 hp
my sides
>>
>>64585573
There's no rule that says it, but logically it should be done.
>>
>>64585467
THEN YOU PLAY AN NPC.

If your DM is going to force stupidity then you force him to LAY in that bed he just shit in.

I'm an NPC now. Now what, bitch?
>>
>>64585487
he uses tensers disk for everything. or has a Small pack animal like a dog.
>>
Rolled 10, 4, 6, 15, 3, 14 = 52 (6d20)

this guy walks up to you and demands that you make a new thread, what do you do
>>
>>64585634
I tell him he's not wise enough to realize that we're not on page 8 yet.
>>
>>64585629
>implying this motherfucker is going to live to level 3 to get AT spells
>>
[Power Word Strip]
>>
Rolled 18 (1d20)

>>64585634
I make a Persuasion roll to tell him to make it himself, assume I have a modifier of +0.
>>
>roll stats in order
>choose two "strong" stats that you roll 4d6 drop 1 for
>roll 3d6 for the rest
>on a roll of 18 roll a d4, a 3 bumps the stat to 19, a 4 bumps it to 20
>no racial stat bonuses
I'm gonna do it and you can't stop me /5eg/!
>>
>>64585573
Oh, and this doesn't even involve the stupidity of "4 or less Int means you can't talk". Monodrones have 4 Int and can speak Modron. Kruthiks have a unique language that their 4 Int young can speak. Cranium Rats have 4 Int and fucking pan-linguistic telepathy.
>>
>>64585659
You passed. The man mumbles something about how /4eg/ never told him off like this and walks to the catalog
>>
>>64585678
before he goes, as a free action, I'll tell him that I also miss /4eg/ and that I pine for the days of balanced gameplay and martials with options
>>
RAW for moon beam
>When a creature enters the spell's area for the first time or starts a turn there
this means it hits what ever is in the square when it is first cast, right?
>>
>>64585685
Martials with options wasn't worth every class being the same thing.
>>
>>64585689
Yes it was, fuck casters.
>>
>>64585689
t. man who never actually played 4e
>>
>>64585688
No. The creature has to enter the area, it doesn't count if the area moves to envelop the creature.
The key RAI with Moonbeam, Spirit Guardians, and other similar spells is that they should only do their damage once per round. If it did damage on-cast and when the creature started its turn, it would do damage twice per round.
>>
>>64585694
Enjoy being under my boot for the rest of DnD's existence, caveman.
>>
>>64585710
Sorry friend, but I'm the GM.
Now, what class was it that you wanted to play again?
>>
>>64585710
I will engage in makumba rituals so crawford has a heart attack, don't worry
>>
>>64585573
some spells specify things below certain int are immune. 3 being the cuttoff for "is no longer sentient" with 3 being smart animals like bigcats and wolves (apes and skellies are 6), 2 being less smart like snakes and rabbits, and 1 being creature of pure instinct like vermin and plants.

5e doesn't really expect player scores below 8.
>>
>>64585708
ok, thank you. just wanted to make sure im not doubling the damage against my players
>>
>>64585728
He'll just keep delaying his heart attack until "next month" until he ends up outliving all of us.
>>
>>64585487
guess what a bag of holding weighs!
>>
>>64585738
does the module give one of those out so early in the game
>>
>>64585736
Shit, I've been bamboozled
What are good ways to get rid of a live Angolan guineafowl and 50oz of black candlewax?
>>
>>64585610
so he's minmaxing at being a generalist?

something doesn't real right about that.

isn't that just called a well-rounded character?
>>
>>64585730
Which is why rolling for stats is monstrously stupid, especially 4d6drop1; all it does is give players a 50/50 at an 18 in their best ability in exchange for a miniscule chance at a 3.
5.5 should have "point buy to 16, no 18's" as default, with standard array as a variant and rolling as a "this can fuck up your game" DM discretion rule
>>
>>64585650
i still feel going kobold sorcerer or wizard is the way to go.
>>
>>64585762
Could make a nice soup.
>>
File: 1548772647095.png (1.3 MB, 1921x2698)
1.3 MB
1.3 MB PNG
>>64585764
but well rounded characters are eeeeeevil, anon, let the dumb incels enjoy their suffering simulators where you HAVE to be intellectually or socially inferior to beat people up, just like bullies from middle school
Come have fun in 4e land, anon-san!
>>
>>64585762
just find a new target for the ritual, Kira Jr.
>>
File: IMG_5672.jpg (195 KB, 1024x713)
195 KB
195 KB JPG
Does the subclass seem decently balanced?
It's a Muscle Wizard. Classically a tongue in cheek archetype, I wanted to make one that actually is usable if not reasonable. I feel like a small sect of highly learned Scholars who train their bodies and minds in tandem could be feasible in some settings. Wanted some feedback before I format it in Homebrewery and make it look pretty.

>School of Fist Subclass (Name pending, open to ideas)

>2nd Level
-Mage Armor can now be cast as a bonus action if it is cast on self. When it is cast in this way your AC becomes 10+STR Mod+INT Mod

-Spellstrike. Once on your turn when you take the attack action to make an unarmed attack, you can choose to cast a spell as part of the same action. If the act hits, the spell is cast. Spells cast in this way have a range of touch. If the spell is an area of effect, it is centered on the point you struck. You have advantage on saves against spells you cast in this this way. Additionally your unarmed strikes scale in damage like monks. You use STR for attack and damage rolls of unarmed strikes.

>6th level
-Extra Attack
-All your unarmed attacks are considered magical for the purpose of overcoming resistances

>10th level
-whenever you cast a spell you can make a unarmed attack as a bonus action. This attack can be a spellstrike, however the spell cast can only be a cantrip. You can use this feature a number of times equal to either your INT Mod or STR Mod, whichever is higher, after which you must complete a long rest before using this feature again.

>14th level
-You add INT mod to the damage of your unarmed strikes and you add your STR to the damage of your spells.
>>
>tfw wanna try 4e but no game nearby and no r20 game with convenient schedule
>all my 5e games are slowly making me more jaded because of that guy
>>
>>64585767
Standard array is another equally valid option to rolling, RAW, this guy could just take the standard array.
Point-buy encourages min-maxing more than the other two options, I think.
>>
>>64585762
make a nice lifelike mold of an angolian guineafowl to use in lost wax aluminum casting.
>>
>when your players trigger a chain of events that gives nearly every underground faction in the city a reason to enact their plans and cause havoc
>>
>>64585799
standard array is literally just a poinybuy configuration with a good even numbers pattern
>>
What's an iconic, easily-recognizable item from 3.5e that wasn't reproduced in 5e? I want to introduce something from "outside of time" to bring into a 5e campaign.
>>
>>64585873
Wand of Summon Monster I
>>
>>64585797
>lizardfolk muscle wizard
>hit with an unarmed attack
>cast booming blade, as jeremy crawford would allow: https://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/08/05/does-booming-blade-require-a-weapon-or-does-natural-weapons-work-as-well/
>hit with the unarmed attack from booming blade
>get another booming blade
>repeat until i miss
anyway the 10th level feature is just war cleric's thing, except they get it at 1st and it sucks for them, which makes this pretty insulting desu. why is this a long rest, lmao
>>
>>64585797
Here's some tweaks.
>Just make their AC 10 + STR + INT if unarmored, ala Barb or Monk, don't bother with changing a spell's casting time, range, and ability for thematics.
>Clarify spell action. To spellstrike (Which I would call Spell Punch or Uppercut or something to clarify from the 900 homebrew gish classes) you must select a spell with a casting time of an action.
>Just make the 10th level ability the INT mod, don't bother splitting it.
>At 14th level, with only unarmed strikes you at best are dealing 2d10 + 10 damage. But you're a wizard, so you're spells are doing waaaaaaay more. this feature is underpowered and you're better off multiclassing into barb
>>
>>64585852
Okay, and?
>>
For conjure animals, they are both beast AND fey, right?
>>
>>64585890
I was going to clarify that those specific SCAG cantrips cant be used with this feature. And the limiter for the 10th lvl feature is because you could cast a spell with your attack plus an extra attack and then cast a cantrip as a bonus action every turn. Sorcerers are the ones usually bonus action casting to do two spells a turn and they have sorcery points to balance it, which recharge on a long rest.

>>64585895
These are great tweaks, I'll definitely be using them.
I will say though, by 14th level you're still casting a damaging spell each turn with spellstrike (which will be called impact casting by the way) and then doing a second unarmed attack via extra attack and then a cantrip with an unarmed attack bonus action. My fear was that this was way too over powered as you're adding mods to all this damage. I feel like it's way more than a regular Wizard but balanced because you're in close combat.

But hey if it's underpowered right now thats good. I'd rather have it be weak than be far superior to other subclasses.
>>
File: Rename.jpg (9 KB, 235x215)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Maximum brainlet here. How do I make a file look like the home brew/ official ones? I think it'll give my meme class some legitimacy but grug never went to collage
>>
File: farnsworth.jpg (89 KB, 1280x720)
89 KB
89 KB JPG
>>64581885
>Has your party ever been involved with factions far greater than them
My party somehow got itself involved in the god damn blood war because our god damn wizard made a deal with a devil for a Staff of Power.
>>
>>64586062
homebrewery
>>
>>64586062
The Homebrewery; it's what I use for all my brews. Takes some learning to get the coding down, but it's super simple so even a techlet like me can pull it off.
>>
File: w3jrzmu.gif (559 KB, 368x283)
559 KB
559 KB GIF
My party fell into an elemental vortex and rolled themselves into the Elemental Plane of Earth. What cool shit can I throw at them there? Purple Worms? Earth Elementals?
>>
>Have britbong in group.
>He is a lower class person but very nice and polite
>Puts on a upper class accent when he plays
>When he gets upset he reverts to his lower class accent.
>have a Norwegian in the group
>there English accent is the most snobby of the snob
>gets ripped by all the germans and bong players.
>have Italian player
>might be the most intelligent italian in the nation
>lazy as fuck
Americans don't know what they are missing, having a European game is always a clusterfuck of characters before a character is even made.
>>
File: 1361241512.jpg (104 KB, 750x400)
104 KB
104 KB JPG
I want to play an MMO Healer mechanically but not sure how to make a decent background for a character that primarily heals. I can't think of any believable reason any priest-like healer would leave a church to go adventure.
Also I assume Cleric is basically my only option but they seem too physical for me.
>>
>>64586132
I play with UK folk on rare occasion, but my main group is me, three other americans and a turk of all things.
>>
>>64586152
Don't talk about healing around here. The thread will sperg out en masse at the suggestion of healing anyone above 0HP.
>>
>>64586152
>MMO Healer
healing spells in 5e exist only to yo-yo people in and out of consciousness, and occasionally cure an ailment or something
>>
File: 636284780329420913.jpg (200 KB, 1000x1000)
200 KB
200 KB JPG
>Killing Weapon. Weapon (Sword), rare. This weapon scores a critical hit on a 19-20. When you roll a 19-20 on your attack roll with this magic weapon, the target takes an extra 7 damage of the weapon's type.

High crit weapons anyone?
>>
File: buttslut.png (210 KB, 960x800)
210 KB
210 KB PNG
>>64586152
You want to play Pathfinder if you wanna be a healslut.
>>
>>64586187
oops

>>64586188
How attack heavy is something like a low level Life Cleric expected to be, as opposed to just using concentration on buffs and occasionally throwing out heals?
>>
>>64586152
Life or Grave Cleric are both solid healers.
>>
>>64586242
>How attack heavy is something like a low level Life Cleric expected to be
Is someone at 0HP?
>Yes
Heal
>No
Attack something.
>>
>>64586242
I don't think there are really that many buffs you have lower level that you can just spam willy nilly, and if you're a Life Cleric, you get heavy armor proficiency, so there's certainly an expectation that you'll be getting down and dirty with some sort of weapon.
You're a full caster, but lower level you only have a few spell slots, and with the Life domain, you can just channel divinity instead of using spell slots to heal, so there's even more of an expectation of using spells for offensive purposes as a Life Cleric.
>>
>>64585251
My money would actually go on a Dragon Heist.
HotDQ is generic D&D shit, but DH is messy, unfinished, railroady and stupid. It took me a while to make something passable out of that module.
>>
>>64586302
Did you write down your notes or compile them?
>>
>>64586302
>Dragon Heist
>There is no dragon
>There is no heist
>>
>>64586302
Ironically Lost Mines is one of the most generic modules ever and one of the best.
>>
>>64586289
I see, I think I had the wrong idea of Life Clerics, they seem to basically be more healy Paladins.
>>
>>64586384
That would be more like Forge Clerics I think, but multiple domains give you proficiency in heavy armor, and all of them assume you will be participating in combat.
Consider that the iconic Cure Wounds is a touch range spell, so you'll want to be close to the melee characters anyways.
>>
Would having the GOO patron's Thought Shield simply reverse the damage instead of just mirroring it be too powerful?
>>
>>64583336
Pathfinder has some bizarre content.
Like weirdly sexualized pics of what I assume are supposed to be kids.

On the other hand, 5E has sex-changing elves, so I'll call it even in weird fetish departament.
>>
>>64586442
Wait is that obviously photoshopped-on bird actually in official Paizo art?
>>
>>64586442
5e fetishes are very clear, you have gender switch (been around since the beginning), tentacles, femdom. new editions have the scale fetishists (furies), and you have more mind control.
Pathfinder is all about Inter-racial, pedomorphing, transgenderism. Its rather more modern and does not have the trappings of 70s and 80s fetishism.
>>
>>64586512
I guess it serves as a censorship to cover her impressive rack. Or something.
It wasn't there in my book.
>>
>>64586413
So I take it there's no squishy, priesty type subclass? There's Arcana but it's clearly wizardy and not priesty.
>>
Anyone try the Stream subclasses on 5etools?
>>
>>64585960
Just fey. Beast forms tho
>>
>>64585610
The absolute level of sophism in this post.
>>
>>64586581
Damn, I was hoping for the sick synergy of conjure beasts by our druid and then beast bond by my ranger
>>
>>64586558
well, I would recommend just checking out all the domains on 5etools to see what you like the best
>>
>>64586522
I would say that 5E has its fair share of transgenderism fetish - especially when Crawford gets to pen a lorebook or a module.
But it is still a bit more tame compared to Paizo.
>>
I'm interested in DMing my first campaign after playing with my crew as a player for almost three years now. Do you guys think a campaign where the players are set as gladatorial slaves and have to try and buy their collective freedom against an absurd price? Slowly making the transition from mistreated slaves to gilded cage celebrities? Or does that all seem to ambitious/not suited for D&D?
>>
>>64585890
BB isn't an attack action.
>>
>>64586797
It's doable, but DND is not suited well to 1v1 combat.
>>
>>64586805
>Be Rogue
>In a 1v1 fight with a monk player
>Dab on the monk with scumbag tactics.
DND is tons of fun in 1v1.
>>
>>64582530
They will. No way they'll publish two UAs within two weeks.
>>
>>64586813
S T U N N I N G
S T R I K E
>>
>>64586813
>Monk stuns you
>you die
>Monk dabs on your corpse
>>
>>64586813
>Be Monk
>Stun you
>Do the Fortnite Default Dance on your corpse
>>
>>64586847
I blinded him at the start of the fight, then I thre caltrops everywhere and and swashbuckled my way around him diving in and out of combat by jumping from table to table and knocking him onto the floor and the caltrops whenever he tried to get up.
>>
>>64586813
>rogue
>1v1
If you're not a swashbuckler you're at a pretty massive disadvantage.
>>
>>64586813
>main action stun you
>dab as bonus action
>next turn repeat the process until you die
>>
>>64586878
see
>>64586873
Swashbuckler is the only class worth playing.
>>
File: blob.gif (17 KB, 127x128)
17 KB
17 KB GIF
>>64586892
>>64586865
>>64586853
>>64586847
>Monk tries to stun you
>Roll a dice
>You are not stunned
>You win.
>>
File: 1474879359985.png (60 KB, 295x217)
60 KB
60 KB PNG
>>64586917
You'd be pretty lucky to take 4 strikes and beat the DC 4 times in a row.
>>
>>64586917
this whole argument is just proving my point; DND is not designed for 1v1 or PVP.
>>
One shot ideas set entirely within a magic item heavy urban setting?
>>
File: 1540644027230.gif (3.59 MB, 298x224)
3.59 MB
3.59 MB GIF
>>64586928
You can make more then one stunning strike attempt a turn? wew, that would have fucked me.
>>
>>64586963
Every time you make a melee attack you can expend a ki to make it a stunning strike.
>>
>>64586936
A bunch of hobos with magical armor and weapons chasing a thief who stole the most powerful magical artifact in the kingdom around the city, the artifact causing chaos in its wake and every encounter leaves the city a bigger mess than when you started.
>>
>>64586936
Counterfeit magic items with unpredictable effects are being made by a wizard, this is lowing confidence in magic items produced in the city, you are hired to fuck this wizard up and break his fingers.
Smugglers are bringing in exotic animals for some faggot noble but they are retarded and some of them got free, deal with the animals that are free and find out where they came from.
The Sewers are suddenly filled with gobs, find out why.
>>
>>64586963
>You can make more then one stunning strike attempt a turn?
Why wouldn't you? There's no passage in the book that says you can only spend 1 ki per turn. There's an entire monk subclass built around spending multiple ki in a turn to cast spells.
>>
File: ea0.jpg (737 KB, 848x1200)
737 KB
737 KB JPG
Old-school AD&D nerd question.
Do you allow for the resurrection of elven PCs?
>>
>>64587088
>Do you allow for the resurrection
no, death is permanent.
>>
Is there an archive of custom backgrounds?
>>
>>64587131
Sure, your imagination
>>
>>64586062
Collage is unironically where you find the most brainlets Grug.
>>
Are there any children NPCs in dungeon of the mad mage?
don't tell me where or when just yes or no
my mate killed one of the orphans in dragon heist, he's killed at least one child in each campaign that has featured them
>>
I was thinking about a homebrew the other day.
How would you feel about using SCAG half-elf variant instead of the PHB one for half-elves by default, all the while giving the elves the choice of choosing either Elf Weapon Training or additional skill point?

My problem is that I feel that half-elves are a bit too much, while elves are a bit on the weak - or at least very situational - side. And yes, I like elves.
>>
>>64586928
You'd be pretty lucky to hit with all 4 attacks.
>>
>>64586797
>>64586805
At work, sorry for the late reply. I was planning on it being team matches, rather than one on one.

I was also planning on making 'crowd approval' a thing that will effect their payout, fame, and even how the enemies handle themselves. And to provide incentive to the players to do things like play to the crowds mood and get creative rather than just mindlessly attack.

But this is all still in planning.
>>
>>64587315
I don't recall.
But if you are a DM, what's stopping you from throwing in a random kid into the dungeon, for fucks and giggles?
>>
>"Hey bard can you check for traps?"
>sure mate
>rolls a 2, dm tells him theres not a single trap in sight
>"Now that i think about it maybe its better if i check for myself!"

How do you avoid players doing this.
>>
>>64587386
>The bard said there's no traps
or
>two eyes are better than one it's not entirely unlikely more than one person would check when they're life is on the line
>>
>>64587088
QUICKLY NEFORE THE RHREAD 404S TELL ME THE NAME OF THIS SEXY

IMABOUR TO. UST A NUT
>>
>>64587384
That's what I want to know about, i'm not the DM.
But now I know who to blame if a kid dies, thanks
its both of them
>>
>>64587405
>QUICKLY NEFORE THE RHREAD 404S
Only cunny threads 404 anon. Lawful threads go to the archive when they die.
>>
>>64587405
It's an OC but the artist is kekemotsu
>>
>>64587386
Roll it yourself instead of rolling it in the open. Use language like, "You don't see any traps."
>>
File: baby_bestiary.jpg (113 KB, 900x1164)
113 KB
113 KB JPG
>>64581885
So, is the Baby Bestiary worth investing in? I can't seem to find any references to the rules inside, but one of my players has an Owlbear egg and is looking to spend the next few in-game years training it.
>>
>>64587405
Let me teach you the magic of "Right click->save to file" and Google Image search so you can keep this cutie with you forever.

Honestly, I have no clue if she even has a name - it's literally the first elf pic I've gotten while searching for "cute anime elf".
>>
>>64583761
No, I don't even allow my beastmaster's to take pets.
>>
>>64587467
>No, I hate fun
Fixed that for you, buddy.
>>
>>64583761
>can we buy a bloodhound
>sure but you'll need to find a breeder
>players put it on the backburner and forget about it themselves
Best way to say no is to say yes but make them have to expend effort.
>>
>>64583761
My dm allowed me to get a wolf, but first I had to blow his dog. It was worth it.
>>
>>64587509
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!! If you say that, your party will jump through literally every hoop. One of my players dragged the party half way around the world to buy an Elephant.
>>
>>64587549
It depends on the type of players they are. Some will back down, others will do like yours.
>>
>>64587549
Did your players have not a single matter more pressing than buying an elephant? No lich with plans to turn humanity into undead? No orcish raiding parties gathering at the border? No kobolds stealing magical artifacts for their nefarious leader's purposes?

Sounds like you were the problem more than the players if they were bored enough they could drop everything and go globe trotting in search of an elephant.
>>
File: GayMarriage.png (185 KB, 1139x291)
185 KB
185 KB PNG
>>64587579
Players are dumb.
>>
File: songbird_ig.0.jpg (92 KB, 1200x800)
92 KB
92 KB JPG
>>64587549
I can confirm that.
One of the players kept pestering me for a mechanical gryphon as a pet. She was an homebrew artificer with a tiny toy gryphon as a "familar". It served more as a memorabilia than anything serious. It contained a soul of her deceased father (don't ask).
I told her that if she takes her sweet time, spends a lot of money and/or finds enough parts she'll be able to pull it off.
Imagine my surprise, when she dropped everything she was doing and started "upgrading" her toy gryphon into a 7 feet long, combat version of it. And then used her father's soul to make it sentient. She wasted 3 months of her life and a bunch of platinum coins building the damn thing. So that she can have a fucking Songbird as a pet.
>>
want to run a dexterity cleric (light). Any suggestions?
>>
>>64587709
>>64587709
>>64587709
>>
>>64587699
>Any suggestions ?
Posting in the new thread
>>
>>64586152
>I can't think of any believable reason any priest-like healer would leave a church to go adventure
Their sibling, who is another PC, is going to adventure. You want to keep them safe.
>>
File: you_must_be_new_here.jpg (249 KB, 704x538)
249 KB
249 KB JPG
>>64587579
>Implying that Players will not drop a story to go do whatever silly shit they want at the drop of a hat.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.