[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1534076257172.jpg (145 KB, 1191x670)
145 KB
145 KB JPG
Up In The Sky Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Sidekicks
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous thread: >>63996364

Has your party had any aerial adventures, /5eg/? Any aerial misadventures?
>>
https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1083963895260286976
>>
>>64005110
>https://twitter.com/Wizards_DnD/status/1083963895260286976

Oh, this is gunna suck.
>>
>>64005086
>Any aerial misadventures?
My players once fought an Ancient White Dragon and a bunch of wyverns while on top of a flying Ancient Silver Dragon.

Needless to say, it wasn't supposed to be extremely hard (though they were maybe level 11), but it was fun. There was plenty of flying and falling, and people were saved thanks to Dimension Door.
>>
>>64005086
Wish i had, flying ships are awesome.

I wanna be a sky pirate.
>>
File: Djinni 5e.png (574 KB, 719x1000)
574 KB
574 KB PNG
I'm curious: as a player, what's a time your DM granted you something for your character that would not have happened via RAW or otherwise?
>>
>>64005110
What lazy shits. Can't even put together some playtest shit once a month.
>>
File: happyreimu.png (32 KB, 900x700)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>tfw you get to play tomorrow!!!!!
>>
Does 5e have rules for taking it in the butt in any of the sourcebooks? Has anybody found any good 3pp for taking it in the butt?
>>
Rate my sorcerer tweaks

>Sorc gets wizard arcane recovery at 1
>Origin spells ala Sorcerer, Tweaked
>Can swap out spells on level up equal to CHA modifier
>Spells known matches new UA sidekick numbers
>Capstone is exploding damage dice
>Each time you gain an additional metamagic feature, you can apply an additional mm to a spell (1 at lvl3, 2 at lvl10, 3 at lvl17 by default. cannot apply the same MM twice though)
>>
>>64005086
Barely would qualify, not really. A shame to be honest, I'd like to have some silly sky pirate adventuring.
>>
>>64005231
I am very happy for this Reimu.
>>
File: THoTD2_Goldman.jpg.jpg (39 KB, 720x720)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>And here's my Druid, DM!
>>
>>64005247
Constitution Save contested by the other guy's Performance check. Succeeding means you keep going. Failure means you can and are under refractory for 3d6 minutes if male, 1d6 if female. Adjust those numbers however you want though.
>>
>>64005231
>tfw you don't get to play on sunday
damn my friends, enjoying themselves in australia
>>
>>64005231
>Don't get to play until next week
ANGERY
>>
Rate my house rule
>mandatory 1 level dip into hexblade warlock
>>
>>64005303
Seems reasonable. I’ll use this. Thanks!
>>
>>64005361
Seriously? I just made all that shit up.
>>
>>64005379
You’ve got an inspired mind, anon. Consider going into 3pp
>>
File: kirby_daroach.png (857 KB, 619x676)
857 KB
857 KB PNG
>>64005231
>tfw you stole anon's game and they don't even realize even though they're supposed to play tomorrow
>>
>>64005352
All good here. Move along.
>>
>>64005258
>Sorc gets wizard arcane recovery at 1
Effective, but kinda boring. Random idea to add to Font of Magic
>Once per long rest, you can regain Sorcery Points up to your proficiency modifier after a short rest.

>Origin spells ala Sorcerer, Tweaked
That's the one with 10 free spells known right? Feels like too much imo. I'd add those spells to the spell list if they aren't already on there, and let the player pick one of the two gained per spell level as a free spell known. Gets some origin-appropriate spells in the list, and some innately in there.

>Can swap out spells on level up equal to CHA modifier
Why would you need to swap 5 spells? Most levels you already get one new spell, and can swap one spell out. That is more than enough.

>Spells known matches new UA sidekick numbers
Not needed if you are already added origin spells. It just gives you +1 at level 1, 19 and 20. So it's largely meaningless as a change. Keep it on par with Warlock, or change that too.

>Capstone is exploding damage dice
Sure.

>Each time you gain an additional metamagic feature, you can apply an additional mm to a spell (1 at lvl3, 2 at lvl10, 3 at lvl17 by default. cannot apply the same MM twice though)
As is, nah. Make it cost extra sorcery points or something and it might work.
>>
>>64005231
>both my games ended up in flames while this guy gets to play tomorrow
it aint fair
>>
>>64005499
Just kill the Reimu and take the free spot for yourself.
>>
>>64005258
>Sorc subclasses get expanded spell list
>>
>>64005496
>That's the one with 10 free spells known right?
I believe it's 6 extra spells known, one of each level from 1st to 6th.
>>
>>64005534
Gotcha. The one I'm thinking off gives 2 of each level from 1st to 5th. Either way, the spell list needs some origin spells added similar to Warlocks, and not the lazy Divine Soul method of "just have this entire spell list as well"
>>
>>64005401
I feel disgusted. Is this what it's like to be raped?
>>
>>64005258
stacking metamagics is stupid, practically begging to run subtle bullshit
>>
File: 1538636812800.gif (183 KB, 500x250)
183 KB
183 KB GIF
>>64005231
tfw next session is in an hour
>>
I recently found a small puzzlebox at a local thrift store. It is about 18 inches long by about 10 inches wide. Looking for some interesting things to put into the 3 compartments in it.

I want to have at least one magic item and a couple of interesting trinkets or smaller magical items. Just not sure what magic item would be good to have hidden away in it. Most of the rings and pendants seem a little lack luster and I don't want to give them something too crazy. They are only level 9's currently. Anyone got any interesting home brewed magical rings, pendants, badges etc?
>>
yaaay artificer yaaay
>>
>>64005738
Cartographer's Ring

When you turn this ring around on your finger and hold your palm facing up, the gem projects an illusory map of the areas you have travelled in the past hour.

Cap of Heroes

Once per day, you may cast Heroism as a 1st level spell.

While worn, the bearer has advantage on saving throws against fear.

Ring of Grace
While worn, you know and may cast Spare the Dying.

The ring has a pool of healing equal to 5 hitpoints. The ring generates a point of healing on each sunrise and caps at a pool of 10 hitpoints. As a bonus action, you may touch a target and expend as many hitpoints as you like to heal the target.
>>
File: You feel it too.jpg (73 KB, 920x517)
73 KB
73 KB JPG
>it takes three levels of multiclassing in a backloaded class in a suboptimal archetype to get a dex longsword
>also you need at least 13 wisdom
>it takes one level of multiclassing in hexblade to get cha nearly whatever weapon you feel like
>and medium armor + shield
>also if you stay for one more level you get one of the best consistent ranged options in the game
>>
>>64005843
Just use a rapier and call it a longsword.
>>
>>64005786
That Ring of Grace is quite powerful. The wording would need some changing though.
>While wearing this ring, you can cast the Spare the Dying cantrip from it as a bonus action.
>The ring can store a pool of healing power up to 10 hit points. As an action, you can touch a creature to restore a number of hit points to that creature, up to the maximum amount remaining in the ring's pool. The ring regains 1 point of healing daily at dawn. When found, it has 1d10 hit points stored.

Maybe a recharge of 1d4, but as a backup Grave-Cleric-in-a-ring it's already very good.
>>
>Posted at the very end of the last thread like a moron

A player of mine wants to play as a Cambion. In his backstory, the Mother he was born to tore his wings off. I could explain the entire background, but no need. He really just wants to play a Tiefling and skin it as a wingless Cambion for story purposes. I don't have an issue with that. How would you guys have the average City and/or Townsfolk react to a Cambion vs A Tiefling? I imagine the more urban areas wouldn't know the difference, but more educated folk would be even more horrified/stand-offish.
>>
>>64005843
>a dex longsword
Kensei weapons do not work with Sneak Attack. You do not treat Monk Weapons as gaining the Finesse property.

Yes, Hexblade is disgusting, we know.
>>
>>64005962
>I imagine the more urban areas wouldn't know the difference, but more educated folk would be even more horrified/stand-offish.
That's what I would imagine too. I guess Cambion's would be seen as more disgusting too due to their origin. The more educated would probably be interested or uncomfortable in his winglessnes.
>>
What is the most Klingon-like race in Faerun? I have an urge to play a war-hungry, “honour”-bound warrior culture.
>>
>Wall of Force invisible
>physically blocks things from passing through it
>makes sense
>can't Misty Step across it
>alright
>also blocks things like Hold Person or spells that Summon Lesser Demon on the other side of the barrier
>por que~
Invisible cover makes my brain melt.
>>
>>64005962
Everyone would be suspicious if not just scared shitless. There's no real difference to begin with between Cambions and Tieflings other than one being a monster, the other a PC race, and not all Tieflings having wings.
>>
I'm excited for the artificer rework.
Feels nice. :)
>>
>>64006048
Well, Tieflings aren't part Demon/Devil by relation. At least in 5e.
>>
>>64006074
Oh yeah, 5e changed tieflings to be cursed due to ancestors being warlocks. End result doesn't really change though, they look demonic, and are treated as such. Half-orcs are equally reviled by commoners after all.
>>
>>64006009
orc, dragonborn and halflings
>>
>>64006115
Really? In Faerun?
>>
>>64005169
Int score of 22 for playing smart and playing attention to all the name/factions of power in the DM's world.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (1.85 MB, 1920x1080)
1.85 MB
1.85 MB PNG
>>64005110
>REEEEEEE UA WHEN
>REEEEEEE ARTIFICER WHEN
>REEEEEEE CENTAUR IS MEDIUM
>REEEEEEE MINOTAUR IS MEDIUM
They could have just ripped off Coleville's S&F part 2. It was available on the trove for at least a time. C'mon wotc. Give us SOMETHING rather than just a bad cocktease.
>>
>Heist quest
>steal an item from the treasure vault in the lair of an Archdevil.

As a DM, how do I do this? I need some advice.
>>
>>64006074
tielfings are basically part devil, genetics doesn't really exist in the DnD world so having your bloodline tainted by azmodeus is basically the same as he's your great great great great great grandfather
>>
>>64005169
He gave my bard some extra Bardic INspiration dice for studying a book of elvish songs.
And some powerful warsongs that gave her some neato abilities she could cast with said dice.
>>
>>64005204
Yeah cause they should want to work over the holidays like a fucking wageslave shouldn't they
>>
>>64005169
He let me switch all of tiefling's racial stuff from fire to lightning so my special snowflake bronze draconic tiefling sorcerer would synergize better. he also ruled that hellish resistance and elemental affinity could stack to grant immunity, but that only came after an in-game milestone
>>
>>64006169
One of the other Archdevils helps the party get in and out undetected.
>>
>>64006072
Did they announce something?
>>
>>64005720
poppo no
>>
>>64006255
>>64005110
>>
>>64005169
He ruled that I had to pick all my eldritch blast targets for each beam before rolling to attack or damage (which was fair, RAW is a bit ambiguous but this turned out to be the SA ruling) reasoning that they came out at the same time. I finagled this so that, since they came out at the same time, something that granted advantage on the next attack roll (such as a guiding bolt or a familiar using the Aid action) would also grant advantage for multiple EB beams. He came to fucking hate this once I started sending out 4 beams a turn, preceded by my familiar giving me advantage, making it so I rolled 12 times a turn due to elven accuracy.
>>
File: 1530309269291.jpg (182 KB, 1024x750)
182 KB
182 KB JPG
>>64006278
Well, I'll be. Think they'll delay it again for the millionth time?
>>
>>64006169
Unfortunately unless your players are dynamite roleplayers they're going to be lost trying to plan a heist completely on their own. Write an NPC that has done the groundwork, can lay a few plans before them, a few problems they'll encounter, etc. Prompt them. They might even come up with their own idea once someone sets the stage for them. Also sets up a small dilemma at the end - give the guy who gave them all the information the large cut he asked for, or screw him?

Otherwise, just have fun with it. Think of all the stupid ways a party might try to sneak into an archdevil's lair and roll with it.
>>
psionics when tho
>>
>>64006383
Gimme my Duergar Mystic
>>
>>64005843
yes hexblade is broken
>>
>try to get creative to get around fighter's "I attack" meme gameplay
>DM doesn't allow any of it
>can't even macgyver anything because "it's not in the rules"
Guess I'll just fucking attack and action surge attack
>>
>>64006424
he dunt let you grapple things?
>>
>>64006188
pretty sure he's not making a self ruling on immunity, they generally don't stack twice on the same thing unless specified otherwise. resistance and immunity are seperate traits that you can't somehow grant twice
>>
>>64006293
Of course! Or they'll wing it and it'll be useless.
>>
>>64006009
Hobgoblins. Even made a hobgoblin PC once using a Klingon name I ripped off.
Used artwork of a samurai version of Boba Fett just to be even more asinine about it
>>
I think I caught the big dumb, help me out guys.

A CR 2 Creature is equivalent to 4 level 2 PCs, right? So, does that make it equivalent to one level 8 Character?
>>
>>64004816
What if there was a feat that let you concentrate on more than one spell? Would it be worth taking over an ASI? If you lose conc on one, you lose it on both.
>>
>>64006492
CR is not always an accurate indicator of how easy it is to kill. Some fairly low CR monsters have absurd damage output, or have some save that has to be tested.
>>
>>64006492
one lvl 8 character will fucking nuke a cr2 creature in a single turn most of the time
>>
>>64005231
Same here
>>
>>64006470
That's what I'm saying. I had lightning resistance twice, which was redundant, so he table ruled it to be lightning immunity.
>>
>>64006492
Yes, or at least, that's the intended idea. In practice it's not always the case. No, that does not mean it's equivalent to one level 8 character. Play around with http://kobold.club
>>
>>64006535
sorry i read it the other way around
have fun running around with an elemental resistance that classes don't usually get till a far higher level
>>
>>64006492
ehhhhh not quite. according to the math, yes, kind of sort of. but the scaling doesn't work perfectly across big level gaps and action economy has a disproportionately powerful impact... it'll be in the right ball-park at least.
>>
>>64005086
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>64006525
definitely an overstatement. you'll probably win without much fuss but a normal level 8 character can't consistently pump out 60-70 damage in a turn vs 15 AC or whatever.
>>
>>64006563
me
>>
>>64006492
CR is horseshit
A bunch of level 2 characters could murk a troll if its initiative is bad
>>
Covert 4e monsters to 5e:
- Bonuses to hit are cut straight in half across the board round up. (This puts Demogorgon from a +39 to hit to a +19 to hit which is in line with 5E Orcus). And say a Barghest (level 4 Brute +7 vs. AC to +4 to hit vs. AC)

- -3 ACs for Heroic Tier, - 5 for Paragon, -7 for Epic. Remove 1/2 level from AC and Ability score mods for all levels. So Demogorgon's AC goes from 48 to: 48 - 7 = 41 - 17 = 24 which is pretty spot on for a top CR monster. 4E demogorgon is CR 33 after all.

- Add 1/2 the monster's level to their damage for the round (minimum 1) This helps boost 4E monsters like dragons who have big AOE attacks that don't mirror the damage expressions of 5E's big blasts. This could also be because I'm working from Monster Manual 1 & 2 as primary sources. Rather than MM 3's improved damage expressions. So if you're using the new monsters you may not need to change the damage.

- Use Bloodied Value for HP for monsters levels 1-3. The HP in 5e does level out with 4e's standards so you won't need to tweak HP too much, but at level 1 a 34 hp goblin is going to shock the hell out of people. Elites and Solos, up to you if you change the HP. I personally wouldn't because it makes those fights memorable in how tough they are (I upgraded all my Demons and Devils to Elites or Solos for example).
>>
>>64006683

- Convert the usual +1/2 level to skills to 1/3 level round down, Minimum 2. This is your Prof bonus now. So a level 30 monster has a +10 prof bonus, and a level 10 has a +3. Rounding up keeps them on par up until about level 20, where they get a +7 rather than the PCs +6, so pick your poison. I round down for simplicity, a +1 difference isn't a big deal anyway.

- All save ends powers gain DC 8+prof+mod save based on effect (use your judgement on which ability score makes sense for the save) Remember that you scaled down their ability modifiers earlier!

- Solos gain Legendary Actions, one of which is to recharge an ability. They gain legendary resistances as well.

- Add Innate Spellcasting to taste as needed.

- Saving Throws: give proficiency in 1 save if its a soldier, 2 saves if its an elite, and in 3 if its a Solo.

- Use the same exp values for rewards and encounter budgeting as defined in 4e. I'm pretty sure this works out, but I'm not sure. I've been leveling the PCs as its naratively appropriate for years now so I'm disconnected with how exp all pans out comparatively.

What this does is it edits out the 4e math scaling to bring them in line (roughly) with what 5E monsters have while still keeping all of the fun powers and tactical problems 4E monster design added to the game. That should give you all the tools you need to take any 4e dude and make them work in 5E. I do this mainly so I can keep living the glory days while my PCs get to keep using their new shiny. Everybody wins.
>>
>>64006492
With this, it's probably better to use kobold.club to be sure. See how much are the XP thresholds for a single PC of that level.

A CR 2 is an Easy encounter for a level 8 PC. A CR 3 is somewhere between Medium and Hard.
>>
>>64005086
What is the best weapon for non-Rogue SMALL races?
>>
>>64006724
Dual Wielding Lances
>>
>>64006724
sword and board
>>
>>64006015
That's why it's the best spell in the game.
>>
>>64006609
Can I smell you?
>>
>>64006505
There's one Mercer wrote up for CR S1, so it's probably been tested a little bit

>Dual-focused
>Prerequisite: The ability to cast at least one spell
>Countless hours have been spent training your mind to
maintain focus on concurrent incantations, taxing as the
process may be.
> - If you attempt to cast a spell that requires concentration
while already concentrating on an existing
spell, you can maintain concentration on both spells
simultaneously.
> - If you take damage during this time, you must make a
concentration check for each spell individually.
> - At the end of each turn where you have two spells you are
concentrating on, you must make a Constitution saving
throw (DC equals 8 + both spells’ levels combined). On a
success, you maintain concentration on both spells. On a
failure, you lose concentration on both spells.
>>
>>64006505
you can twin single target concentration spells, but they still count as a single spell for the purposes of failing
>>
>>64006724
lance lets them get a d12, d10 versatile for 2h, and d8 1h are their strongest options. since d8 is the same strength as a normal sword and board/dual wield, mechanically its the only one without loss, so the strongest
>>
>>64006857
Interesting. About the same what I was thinking.
>>
>>64005843
One of my homebrew races has rebranded Elven Weapon Training, which in addition to the proficiencies allows them to use their Dex modifier when wielding a Longsword. It's not a big deal.
>>
File: DuAVFKn.jpg (32 KB, 800x500)
32 KB
32 KB JPG
>>64005929
This. Or call it a dueling sword if you prefer.
>>
My players are currently on a Quest for an old, blind Gold Dwarf. It's just some basic [Kill Enemy Here] Quest. As a reward, I wanted him to offer them either payment in Gold or a White, Crystalline Necklace. The Necklace is a Magical Item that gives the wielder, once attuned, access to the "Create Soulblade" ability that Duergar Soulblades have. The idea is that a Duergar Soul is trapped within the Crystal. The properties of the Crystal force the Soul to recreate an ability it had in life.

The Soulblade itself is a Finesse Weapon that the wielder is automatically proficient with. It does 1d6 force damage, and if the wielder has advantage on their attack, it does an extra 1d6. Is this a decent reward? Party is Level 4.
>>
>>64007022
I think that's cool. Would be useful in the hands of a Rogue or anyone else that could consistently generate advantage. Also balanced by the fact it doesn't get stat bonuses.
>>
>>64006857

>Fighter 2 into Wizard 18
>Action Surge + CON Saving Throw + Defense Fighting Style + Medium/Heavy Armor + Shield
>can do Hold Person into Cloud of Daggers with Action Surge as soon as he hits level 6 / level 4 Wizard

How do you stop this monstrosity?
>>
>>64007072
Can't cast two spells in one turn even with Action Surge.
>>
>>64007090
RAW you absolutely fucking can. SA confirmed.
>>
>>64007090

You can, read the book you fucking rapist piece of shit
>>
>>64007090
you can stupid fuck, both RAW and ruled by crawford the spellcasting limitation only applies to bonus action usage
>>
>spear mastery
>dual wielder
>sharpshooter
>twf fighting style
convince me not to make a thrown-weapons fighter
>>
>>64007205
>Taking that many feats over ASIs
If you like being useless maybe.
>>
>>64007210
you only need two ASIs to max out strength
>>
>>64007072
>Sorc3+/Pal2+/Fighter2
>quicken/upcast a smite round before
>Heightened Hold Person for forced save disadvantage
>AS Multiattack divine smite
>still have Bonus to quicken for a cantrip like BB/GFB to give yourself another crit melee attack
Good shit
>>
>>64007205
>dual wielder
why though
>>
>>64007245
for an extra attack as a bonus action
>>
>>64007090
How can one person be this wrong? I bet you don't even play 5e.

Nah you're all good nigga I'm just fucking with you. Plenty of people don't know about this.
>>
>>64007113
Oh sure, NOW you go to daddy Crawford when he makes a ruling instead of calling him an idiot.
>>
>>64007253
I'm one of the people that actually think crawfords rulings are generally good if we're talking about determining raw.
It's just what is written in the book is shit, not him
>>
>>64006724
A hand crossbow
>>
>>64007253
Seething.
>>
>>64007260
He wrote the book
>>
File: hobgoblin.jpg (208 KB, 848x1000)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>64007039
I imagine it falling into the hands of the group's Hobgoblin Samurai. Pretty useful with the Samurai's "Fighting Spirit" Feature.
>>
File: 1490063367681.jpg (109 KB, 1280x564)
109 KB
109 KB JPG
>Feel like Ive been halfassing everything as DM
>Players make a groupchat
>4/5 of them say they're always excited and its a highlight of their week
no no no this isnt right i'm not supposed to be good at something
>>
File: file.png (214 KB, 442x440)
214 KB
214 KB PNG
>>64005110
>WE HAVE A HUGE BACKLOG OF UA MATERIAL GUYS
>>
>>64007430
People lie, anon. Especially if they think they're sparing your feelings.
>>
File: 14396-23041-22705.jpg (24 KB, 320x240)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>64005231
>tfw you have a game on Saturday and Sunday
>>
>>64005086
Is Death Domain overpowered?
My GM let me take it way back at the start of the campaign cuz it was the only Domain available to the god I wanted to play, but nowadays it seems like he takes every possible opportunity to nerf me. Is this a reasonable reaction to an above-average subclass or does he just hate it?
>>
My group of friends is going to give 5e another try, we're 3-4 players and they usually gravitate towards martials so I will probably end up playing a cleric or wizard but I'll wait for them to pick their classes first since I don't mind playing either but they'll bitch and moan if asked to roll something else we already have a fighter, a barbarian and a melee cleric jhon, fuck your paladin.

For the cleric side I'm torn between life cleric just so I can save spell slots when healing and playing a quarterstaff wielding priest sounds cool. Tempest mechanically looks cooler, maximized shatter for mook cleaing and fighting from behind the frontline with a glaive to stay safe.

If I end up playing a wizard I'll just end up picking all the control spells I can think off and let the rest of the party take the spotlight..

We've never played past level 3, how do cleric and wizards play past level5? Any other class/subclass that might fill the CC/Support/Healer role?
>>
>>64007553
>death
are you worshipping orcus, what the fuck
>>
Would it be overpowered to replace my Zeal Cleric 1st level domain spells with Green Flame Blade and Booming Blade, or should I just take a level in Wizard?
>>
>>64007609
Kelemvor
This is before Grave domain was a thing
>>
>>64007553
>>64007621

twinned toll the dead seems pretty strong desu.
The channel divinity seems fine since it's got such limited uses, as if it wasn't already just a shitty smite
lvl 6 feature is niche and not an issue
Divine strike is the standard martial cleric feature
lvl 17 feature can be retarded but who the fuck even plays at level 17
>>
What's the ideal item setup for an Open Hand Monk? Flying boots seem like a great idea to give me options when there's aerial combat but that means I can't take boots of speed which would give me insane movement and I could take a much slower broom of flying for aerial combat
>>
>>64007609
Are you saying you wouldn't?
>>
>>64007637
not unless i was following someone from the egyptian pantheon, since death clerics thematically are basically just screaming out "I'm evil"
>>
>>64006424
>game has rules for proning, grappling, pushing and all kinds of shit
>player keeps trying to add effects to his attack at no cost
Why not roll a battlemaster?
>>
>>64007643
Well I've never actually used Animate Dead out of religious considerations
>>64007630
I don't even use the twinned cantrip feature that much, I mostly just smite with my Channel Divinity, Inflict Wounds, Blight, etc.
>>
>>64007599
Life Cleric is alright but pretty plain. You should try Tempest domain or Order
>>
>>64007656
>order
It looks solid but tempest looks better to me, grabbing a reaction action and fireball damage in a smaller AoE
I planned to spam command with my lvl1 spell slots, what are some good spells to trigger voice of authority other than healing word?
Is every other creature immune to enchanment spells like in 3.5?
>>
File: Not a Wizard.jpg (251 KB, 673x1000)
251 KB
251 KB JPG
>>64007599
>Any other class/subclass that might fill the CC/Support/Healer role?
Land Druid.
>>
File: file.png (106 KB, 293x187)
106 KB
106 KB PNG
>>64006424
Remind him that improvising is literally RAW, he should only say no when it's impossible.

>>64006492
>Equivalent
Not quite, a CR 2 creature offers a Medium challenge to those PCs.

If you assume that "equivalent" = Deadly = 50/50 odds (which may be incorrect), an equivalent would be four enemies of CR equal to half the party's level (this is dangerous at level 1 but more fair at higher levels).
>>
>>64007702
totally forgot about them, how is their CC game?
I know druids get a ton of AoE terrain hazards but how do they contribute in combat after casting entangle?
>>
>>64007690
A lot of high level creatures resist charm, but it's not that bad.
>what are some good spells to trigger voice of authority other than healing word?
Honestly that's the best one. Clerics lack good single target buffs so healing word spam is the best way to use Voice of Authority while still maintaining your Divine Strike upkeep.
>>
>>64007599
>Any other class/subclass that might fill the CC/Support/Healer role?
Bard (Lore or Glamour does it best)
Druid (Dreams or Land does it best)
Celestial warlock can heal+damage CC+support game is weaker because spell slot limits
Divine Soul Sorcerer gets access to sorcerer+cleric spells but your spells known is tiny
>>
>>64007763

Frostbite, Produce Flame, Shillelagh/Magic Stone, Erupting Earth, Ice Knife... Druids have plenty of damage that isn't on concentration.
>>
>>64007763
>he thinks Entangle is the druid wheelhouse spell
>>
>>64007022
It's strong, but go for it. Pretty much nothing in the game resists force damage. The extra d6 seems fine though.

>>64007430
I used to think my players didn't care about the game. It was just badly prepped beer-and-pretzels garbage, right? They showed up and we all had a good time sure, but they never talked about the game on Facebook or Discord (complete silence, not even memes) and we don't meet up outside of game day.

Then I learned the Artificer player kept a campaign journal.
Then it turned out the two Fighter players constantly talked about/referenced the campaign between themselves.
Finally there's the Bard player who's mostly here to socialize. He's not very invested, especially compared to band stuff, his main hobby. But he hangs out with tabletop nerds every now and then, and apparently he likes our campaign enough that another guy's game just didn't compare.

We're playing again tomorrow after a long hiatus. Feels good man.
>>
File: wizardsrule.png (1.09 MB, 1000x563)
1.09 MB
1.09 MB PNG
>>64007856
its a classic spell my dude
it even got a shout out in adventure time
>>
So, currently playing a Rogue Scout. I'd like to Multiclass at level 6 for some fun variance, and thematically the only real option is Fighter or Ranger. Which is fine! I don't/wouldn't try to dip into something that didn't make sense for my character or have any reasoning within my Character's journey thus far. Any suggestions? Or should I stick with Rogue?
>>
>>64007793
>>64007799
>>64007856
Looks like the level1 winner to me, restrained give advantage to attackers and imposes disadvantage on their own attacks, I don't get all the fuss about faerie fire

How is moon druid?
Did they add any decent CR2 beasts yet? I remember them falling behind hard
>>
>>64007929
Rogue Scout is solid on his own, that said a few levels into Ranger (either Hunter or Gloom Stalker) are a nice way to get Extra Attack and Ranger spells.
>>
>>64007928
>Adventure Time
That's gonna be a big yikes from me, friend.
>>
File: 1542790319709.jpg (123 KB, 463x601)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
>>64007929
ranger if you want magic
but if you want magic you should just go warlock
after all, on the skeezy-meter, rogue isn't that much better than lock
>>
>>64007929
Dip 2 levels of Revised Ranger
Or 3 if you want to learn an archetype, do any of them appeal to you?
>>
>>64007929
>>64007963
Well sure but warlocks are gross
Also if you're ever multiclassing into warlock it damn well better be after actually making a pact with an outsider in-character
Anyway, I say Ranger.
>>
>>64007963
The thing with Warlock is that it wouldn't make sense in the Campaign. My character hasn't really interacted with anything that would be considered a Patron, etc.

>>64007968
Monster Slayer seems pretty fun.
>>
>>64007942
Pretty sure Bear or Allosaurus is still your best option at CR2
>>
>>64007992
Monster Slayer is solid. You'll want to either end with 3 Ranger levels, or 5. The trade off is between extra attack (more chances to apply sneak attack) or the Scout's ability to apply SA twice in one turn to 2 targets. You can also go 14 Scout/6 Monster Slayer and trade eventual proficiency in wisdom saves for advantage on all saves from favoured enemies.
>>
>>64007942
>How is moon druid?
Good, but not as good as 5eg claims.
>>
>>64008029
Moon druid just plateaus at off-levels because of the scaling wildshape.
>not as good as 5eg claims
Pre-5 and 18+ the moon druid is a nightmare.
>>
>suggest new campaign for friends
>I say only official content, forgetting about eberron
>pc makes kalashtar warlock
>I message him asking why he wants to play a kalashtar explaining that kalashtar don't exist in my setting but I'd be willing to get them to exist and that they'd like be similar to aasimar

Ideas on how to get spirit things into a generic plain jane fantasy setting?
I currently have no spirits, just the run of the mill undead and celestial types.
>>
How do I play a crown paladin?
>>
>>64008069
>Law. The law is paramount. It is the mortar that holds the stones of civilization together, and it must be respected.
>Loyalty. Your word is your bond. Without loyalty, oaths and laws are meaningless.
>Courage. You must be willing to do what needs to be done for the sake of order, even in the face of overwhelming odds. If you don't act, then who will?
>Responsibility. You must deal with the consequences of your actions, and you are responsible for fulfilling your duties and obligations.
>>
>>64008069
For god and king.
>>
>>64007992
>My character hasn't really interacted with anything that would be considered a Patron
>>64007980
>making a pact with an outsider in-character

how hard is it to find some fey?
>>
>>64007249
Yes, but you can use two weapons without the Dual Wielder feat. Look at what it gives you.

>You gain a +1 bonus to AC while you are wielding a separate melee weapon in each hand.
>You can use two-weapon fighting even when the one-handed melee weapons you are wielding aren't light.
>You can draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw or stow only one.

Without this feat, you're dual wielding with short swords or scimitars. With it, you could use rapiers for +1 effective damage. But look at what you get if you just increase your DEX by 2.

>+1 AC, all the time
>+1 damage per attack, regardless of your current weapon
>+1 to DEX saves
>+1 to initiative
>+1 to all DEX skills

5e's feats are good because they're backed by ASIs. You know how good a feat should be, because you can compare it to just increasing a stat. Feats are normally more powerful but apply to specific areas. The problem with Dual Wielder is that it's specific, but not more powerful than just increasing your DEX. It's not useless, but it is worse than an ASI in most situations.
>>
File: ghost elf.jpg (27 KB, 474x647)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>64008067
>take any other monster
>alter description and flavor
>adjust attacks, damage types, resistances, movements, etc. to be more in line with "spirits"
>Ropers become pits to the ghost dimension with the arms of the damned
>goblins become trickster fuckers who shank the life from you
>basic npc-types become benevolent ancestors or otherwise
>etc.
>>
>>64008059
It's mainly the real multiattack at low levels. PAM fighter is strong at levels <5 because monsters are like, orcs and goblins.

1d10+1d4+6 is a lot more than anybody else dual wielding or using a great weapon for 2d6+3.
Every part of PAM is crazy at low levels.
>2 attacks that add STR bonus
>attacks can target different enemies
>reach weapons are powerful, this demonstrates that
>orcs and gobbos can't approach without getting smashed
>can be combined with GWF, dueling (spear+shield) or defense

Moon druid is similar, but also gets spells like faerie fire, healing word, flaming sphere, moonbeam, hold person, pass without trace find traps ;)
>>
>>64008109
Dual wielder is for STR dual wielders, not DEX
>>
>>64008083
That'd just seem like an ass-pull to get a Multiclass I want, at least to me. We haven't interacted with Fey as of yet through the campaign. What's left?
>"I'd like to look for Fairies even though I've never had any interest in them before!"
I guess talking to the DM and asking for such an encounter is possible, but that'd seem forced and just blah to me. I'd never ask for the DM to change up his story even a bit for me to get something.
>>
File: flat,750x1000,075,t.u1.jpg (431 KB, 750x1000)
431 KB
431 KB JPG
>>64008083
>how hard is it to find some fey?
If your GM is into the idea, exactly as easy as finding any other sort of outsider.
>You walk into a tavern and see a mysterious elder god in the corner of the room
>>
>>64008109
you can't throw shortswords or scimitars
>>
>>64008122
Neither of them gets a benefit from taking it over the other. Both have 1d8 one handed weapons to use
>>
File: Hag.jpg (108 KB, 528x705)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>64008130
>you go to the local bakery and talk going-ons with the crone owner
>>
T MINUS SEVEN HOURS UNTIL GAME TIME
>>
>>64008163
145 hours until next session.
>>
File: 1431906507670.png (72 KB, 570x360)
72 KB
72 KB PNG
>>64008122
>>64008131
I'd never considered a Hammerdin build in 5e before today.
>>
File: emmittteal.png (134 KB, 291x330)
134 KB
134 KB PNG
>>64008163
>>64008173
>>64005231
33 hours until next game
I think /5eg/ might just be the happiest place on 4channel
>>
>>64008163
>>64008173
>>64008194
3 hours 15 minutes until I run a one-shot for my group.
>>
>>64008174
It obviously doesn't compare to PAM, but dual wielding warhammers as a Paladin of Moradin gets excellent when improved divine strike kicks in
>>
>>64008194
Makes sense. All the other generals have an undertone of "when will I actually be able to play this game?". The answer to the /tg/ complaints department is often "No".
>>
>>64005086
Does the ranger's natural explorer doubled proficiency bonus apply to passive perception when in your favored terrain?
>>
>>64005086>>64005086
Can kobold pack tactics be proct every turn in combat or is there a cooldown?
>>
>party follows a foul smell into a fungal garden with kobolds tending it
>just kobolds they say and walk in without trying to sneak
>kobolds run off and alert their boss, a beholder
>beholder comes and tries to communicate and tell the party how disgusting they look
>it's just a beholder we can kill it say the group of 4 level 8 dudes
>combat opens with players realizing their magic doesn't work and then the wizard gets a disintegrate to the face and is down to 2 hp
>party flees while fighting off slowing an paralyzing rays and the tentacles that suddenly sprouted from the walls
Good sesh, see you all next week.
>>
>>64008304
It's procced every turn, but it requires you to have a non-incapacitated ally within 5 feet of your target.
>>
>>64008321
neat, it just seems kinda vague considering sunlight sensitivity gives you disadvantage and this essentially cancels that out so I thought it might have been a CD reliant trait
>>
File: 1546892873719.png (251 KB, 705x272)
251 KB
251 KB PNG
>>64008304
Swap the PHB with whatever book bad the gay lizard midget as a race
>>
>>64008347
It's got very specific requirements, if you have a party of ranged fighters/rangers/rogues and casters you're probably going to be shit out of luck.
>>
>>64008358
I was going to play BM ranger kobold with a boar (for knock down attempts) it seems like a good idea, any thoughts?
>>
>>64008391
Ask your DM if you can play a kobold paladex, if find steed can summon a boar and if your steed can take attacks instead of your attacks.

I like goblin+worg better if allowed
>>
>>64005153
I love that shit. My players fought two Adult Blacks and a few dozen cultist mooks on the back of an Ancient Silver.

I ran it like a scrolling boss. The blacks flew past, breathing acid, before dropping off cultists. The players could get in a few hits on the blacks before having to fight cultists.

Once they got them down to half health the blacks landed ON the Silver to fight the players.

I headcanon Ancient Dragons as football field sized. The Silver shielded the players from the brunt of the acid breath while evasive flying from a souped up cloud giant castle with lightning cannon
>>
>>64005086
>Ranger never buys food in town, just skewers a pigeon with his bow and cooks it, more than once he hauled a monster carcass around with a wheelbarrow instead of buying rations
>Doesn't pay for a bed at the inn, just climbs the side of the wall and sleeps on the ceiling (in armor)
>Keeps track of his money down to the coppers, unsurprisingly always has more money than everyone else
>Doesn't bathe, claims it helps him hide better in the bogs ("The smell gives you all off!")
>Looks like a greasy unwashed 100 year old soviet bear with a beard that goes down to the middle of the torso (is 20)
>Hits exclusively on lonely spinsters (is 20)
>Vietnam flashbacks

I think I have a new favorite party member, /5eg/. And you? Any experiences with weirdo PCs?
>>
>>64007430
They're only saying that bcz you are a cute girl with big tits.
>>
GM here, I have a dumb question about rests. How often are they supposed to happen? How many times do you long rest per session? I want to use the Gritty Realism rules and I'm not sure if this is right:
>Short rest after each combat (so once per day in game time)
>Long rest once per session (so once every 2 weeks in game time)

Is this right?
>>
Which class, if any, can compare to the raw cosmic power of a Cleric?
>>
File: 1539512186049.png (703 KB, 1920x1080)
703 KB
703 KB PNG
>Roll sexuality
>Bisexual
Is there a better feeling?
>>
>>64008574
Just have Long Rests require a stable building without a risk of being attacked, a few nights at an Inn or the like.
Long Rests should be used to break up sections of an adventure.
>>
>>64008574
How many encounters do you get through in a session? The DMG has an amount of encounters per long rest session section.
Normally, one easy, four medium, one hard per long rest.
So if you can get through six encounters in a session, one long rest per session-ish.

My party exhausted themselves traveling and made it to town with FIVE levels of exhaustion.
They long rest in the inn, take baths, get some beers and a hot meal.
Four levels of exhaustion. While dining they overhear some thugs talking about burgling a wealthy manor just outside the town. They debate beating these criminals to the punch or taking it easy for a few days in town. I ask if they want to sit in their rooms for four days and do nothing. They decline and nearly die because the manor is guarded by gargoyles and a single cone of cold nearly killed the party.
>>
>>64008644
>Not playing an Eladrin that changes season every day with each one having a different sex+sexual orientation combination
>>
>>64008574
>Long rest per session
Unless you're running the recommended 6-8 encounters in a single session, this shouldn't be the case.
>>
Cleric, Wizard or Bard for best class?
>>
File: 1546906016582.jpg (120 KB, 750x743)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
>>64008644
>>Roll sexuality
>>
>>64008762
Paladin
>>
Redpill me on Barbarogue
>>
File: 1446047891178.jpg (24 KB, 170x236)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>And here's my Fighter, DM!
>>
File: 63-bugsy74.jpg (15 KB, 277x324)
15 KB
15 KB JPG
>>64008767
>He does not powergame sexuality.
>>
>>64008859
In my adventures with a That Guy DM, being gay or a straight woman was the powergame sexuality.
>constant will saves every time a pretty girl bats her eyes at the party
>but no attractive man ever shows up because that would mean the DM has to IC flirt with other men, or OOC pretend to be attracted to our sausage-fest of a table
>WHICH WOULD BE GAE!!!1!!1
>>
>>64008734
>>64008660
>>64008657
I gotcha,thanks. I'm very used to running hexcrawls but my current players wanted zoomergame so here I am and I'm pretty sure six hexes a day is pretty reasonable given 2km/hex and it being a very populated road.
>>
>>64008907
12km a day on a well used road?
What are they a party of slowpokes?
>>
What's a good name for a wizard that will use a sword and is it viable.
>>
>>64008978
Gandalf
Bladesinger is fine.
>>
>>64008977
They are running around with a band of slaves they freed, some of which are old and falling apart and shit. They could ride way harder if they were alone
>>
>>64008978
Eldritch Knight
>>
>>64008762
Lore Bard is the best spellcaster. Not even a competition.
>>
>>64008977
>>64008907
phb 181
travel pace is 18/24/30 miles per 8 hours traveled
24mi = 38km
2km = 1.25mi
holy slow
unfortunately anon is allowed to house rule travel to be the pokiest poke speed ever
>>
>>64009069
Wizard is a better spellcaster. Bard is a decent spellcaster that gets a bunch of other shit (d8 hitdie, Bardic Inspiration, Expertise, ritual casting)
>>
>>64009111
Wizard doesn't get to pick class exclusive spells that aren't his own.
>>
>>64009005
Eldritch Knight is a fighter that uses magic, not a wizard that uses a sword
>>
Is there a more agonizing time of suffering than the time between "just got level 8" and arriving at level 10 for pure Fighters?

Level 9 is so fucking shit, and you're so damn close to doing 3-4 attacks every round / 6-7 attacks one round per combat.
>>
>>64008978
Gundelf
>>
>>64009081
I explained why I'm not using normal travel speeds at >>64009002
thanks tho
>>
File: 1483400246009.jpg (37 KB, 490x810)
37 KB
37 KB JPG
>Tell me, Getafix, if your nature magic is so great, how come Druids don't have any good spells?
>>
>>64009111
What makes wizard better?
>Expansive spell list?
Bard can pick ANY spells albeit a very small number of any spells. The rest of the bard spells are good too. Can your wizard pick up healing word or find steed?
>Arcane recovery
Uh, I guess you get a few more spell slots.
>Focus
Bard has it better. Any instrument. If your dm is flexible, this includes spoons. Sage Advice says that a bard only has to hold their instrument, not play it
>Rituals
bard too
>Bu-but portent
Please let me show you my d6 inspiration that lets me hit 31 at first level on checks. I also help you hit max 31 on checks.
>Bu-but portent can stop enemy things
Cutting words does exactly that
>Bu-but portent doesn't use action economy
Okay, you got me. But it's 3/long rest at 14th level. At 5th level inspiration is spellcasting modifier/any rest.
>Wizards can mage armor themselves
Okay. Bards get light armor. 45 gp and they're 1 point of AC less than a wizard that used a spell slot to mage armor.
>Wizards get attack cantrips
Bards get weapons and can afford to spend spell slots on spells rather than mage armor and shield thanks to inspiration/cutting words.

What other class features does wizard get besides the ability to lose the ability to prepare different spells/cast rituals?
>>
>>64009251
>>64009005
>>64008999
I named him Odagax
Actually I'm playing Dark Souls 3, suckas
>>
>>64009278
> Can your wizard pick up healing word or find steed?
Healing word, no.
Find steed? Bitch I got phantom steed. I
>>
>>64009302
You?
>>
>>64009302
Bard gets phantom steed too.
Saying wizard gets a spell isn't valid because bard gets them too.
>>
>>64009273
>transforms into a dragon
>>
>>64009397
Druids can't actually do that.
>>
I'm planning a Fighter 2/Abjuration Wizard. What's a better level 1 start: 18 Str 12 Con or 14 Str 16 Con.
>>
>>64009397
>Things that can't happen
>>
>>64009236
>Is there a more agonizing time of suffering than the time between "just got level 8" and arriving at level 10 for pure Fighters?
Yes. It's playing a pure martial.
>>
>>64009431
Are you going to be doing more slapping or casting?
>>
>>64009420
Interesting to know that Druids don't have access to Shapechange... Oh wait
>>
>Trying to find game on roll20
Is there literally any better way? You cant even order the games via "Date posted"
>>
>>64009447
Slapping, focusing on defensive/utility spells.
>>
File: Beholder.jpg (96 KB, 569x580)
96 KB
96 KB JPG
>>64009481
>mfw there's a game with 50+ applications over a constant period
>>
>>64009488
How are you doing scores, cause I'd say 18 STR, 16 CON, 14 INT and then 12 WIS, dump CHA.
>>
>>64009481
game finder thread
>>
>>64009540
I rolled 16 16 12 12 9 8, Dragonborn.
>>
File: 400px-Elf_ranger.jpg (20 KB, 400x308)
20 KB
20 KB JPG
Is revised ranger good as a solo class?
>>
File: AnimeGirlMad.jpg (114 KB, 995x558)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
>>64009609
>rolled
>>
>>64009639
How original.
>>
What's a good statline for fighter 2/rogue 1? Using standard array and I'm a system noobie so idk how this shit works please help.
>>
I am playing a 6, 17, 10, 15, 8, 15 Rogue kobold how fucked am I?
>>
>>64009585
Those are dead.
>>
>>64009278
>healing word

shield + absorb elements is a better use of your slots.

wizard list is seriously incredible, even a lore bard doesn't catch up.

shield, absorb elements, find familiar

web, misty step, mirror image

fireball, counterspell, animate dead
wall of force, transmute rock, contingency, planar binding, simulacrum, clone, forcecage, wish, and a bunch of shit i didn't think about.

not that bards don't have a good spell list, but wizards are crazy. Their class features are also better as casting support.
>>
>>64009481
Sometimes Roll20 is acting weird.

In example, this game
https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/101693/planescape-planer-mercenaries
is open for players to join, but you cannot find it even if you look for the exact same parameters in the Roll20 search.
>>
>>64009278
>Please let me show you my d6 inspiration that lets me hit 31 at first level on checks.

it does not
>>
>>64007205
Sharpshooter’s last feature only applies to ranged weapons. Thrown weapons are still melee weapons, thanks to Crawford
>>
>>64009609
So I'd say 18 12 16 12 8 10 and pray they don't use anything that requires a WIS save or 18 8 16 12 12 10 and pray you don't have to make any DEX saves or need to go first.
>>
>>64009432
Shapechange dude
>>
>>64009773
Only melee throwing weapons are melee weapons, use Darts if you want a ranged throwing weapon.
>>
Does anyone have any opinion on the Giff race that was unoffcially released on D&DBeyond?
>>
>>64007599

5E has a ton of support options.

Cleric is obvious here, but all the domains give you some serious options.
Divine Soul for lets you have all cleric and sorc spells, you are cleric and wizard.
Celestial Warlock is a good backup heal source that doesn't run dry
Druids have healing too, but have a few more offensive options, Land Druids get a lot of spells
Bards do everything

Bard is worth considering here. Bard plus any other 3 idiots makes a functional party.
>>
>>64009778
Or dump charisma because it's literally useless if you're not a charisma-based spellcaster.
>>
If you had to be a one-man-party, which class would you choose?
>>
>>64009842
Idk. In my experience, Wisdom is the universal dump stat for anyone that doesnt primarily use wisdom.
>>
What would you go for a 4th level one-shot if you wanted to play a fire-breathing barbarian type?

>>64009842
WIS is going to be -1 either way, might as well make his CHA 10.
>>
>>64009773
the other two apply to all ranged weapon attacks
>>
>>64009861
If you enjoy getting feared/mindcontrolled/hold person'd then yes, dump Wisdom.
>>
>>64009861
>>64009868
Wisdom is used on the nastiest spell saves. It's worth more than charisma just because of that.
>>
>>64009278
>What makes wizard better?
>Expansive spell list?
Yes. Wizards have a huge spell list, more spells prepared and can cast rituals without having them prepared. Magical secrets doesn't make up for this. A bard is never going to have a stronger spell list than a wizard at any level.
>>
My party is going to encounter a wizard faction. How much would they buy generic mage NPC spellbooks for?

>spellbooks have 12 spells in them (usually)
>spellbooks have 88 blank pages
>blank spellbooks are 50 gp and have 100 pages
>>
>>64009892
But that's the thing, he's playing a dragonborn so he's literally not going to get the opportunity to make it anything higher than a -1 either way he goes. Given none of the other stats would be odd, he can put +2 into it at 4th and bump it up to 10.
>>
>>64007430
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

It's not just a thing that happens at work.
>>
>>64009894
more spells known, not prepared
>>
>>64008347

Waterdeep Heist added the knave's eye patch. It requires attunement, but removes your sunlight sensitivity trait, gives you advantage on sight based perception checks, and makes you immune to mind reading. I would strongly recommend it on a sunlight sensitivity character.
>>
File: Redcap-5e.jpg (255 KB, 1000x849)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Could I summon a Recap with Conjure Fey, hand it a Greatsword and let it go berserk?
>>
>>64009778
>>64009842
>>64009931
I need the 16 in Int so I can multiclass. Heavy armour so I figured 8 in Dex, 9 in Cha, 12 in Wis. 16 in Str for better armour and 12 in Con. But is that enough of a Hp boost.
>>
still working on that College of Dracolexi subclass for Bards that i'm converting from 3rd edition, currently trying to convert the words of power into something 5e-friendly, currently using a system of power points.
>>
>>64009980
uh, RAW stat block says three attacks with sickle so no
if your dm is generous, yes
>>
>>64009627
I'm doing pretty good with it.
I needed something to cheese with a party of 2 vengeance pallies and a hexblade, so far it has been doing well, I went for beast conclave and polearm fighting which has me doing a reasonable number of hits and damage a turn.
>>
>>64010020
Don't forget, if you're taking utility or defense spells CON also dictates your concentration saves.
>>
>>64009909
If its a gereric npc spell book it will have generic semi-useless or widely know spells that are probably worthless.
>>
>>64010051
Really? That's interesting. Why'd they bother adding the "Wielding a Heavy Weapon doesn't impose disadvantage on its attack rolls"? Just in case the Redcap did pick something up?
>>
>>64010095
Well, more like Shield, Absorb Elements, Feather Fall. Stuff like that, Counterspell and Dispel Magic later.
>>
File: rollcredits.gif (2.45 MB, 300x225)
2.45 MB
2.45 MB GIF
>tfw you've been talking about your game in here for months
>but it's a 4E game
>>
>>64009861

Dumping wisdom is crazy. Wisdom has the most important saves and the best skills.

In 5E the dump stat is int. Only one class uses it as a primary attribute, it has no secondary effects, the save is very rate, and the skills are just okay.

The next two dump stats in line are cha and str. Str is nearly useless unless you are a strength melee character. Only reason it isn't the main dump stat is a lot of classes are martial. Even then any time you can go dex melee it outperforms str melee.

Cha is relatively safe to dump as long as you have as least one party face and you are okay with shutting up and staying in the corner doing social parts. DMs are more likely to punish you for dumping cha than for dumping int or str.
>>
>>64010218
Y'know, until the Mind Flayers show up. Then you're fucked.
>>
>>64008069
Fantasy Judge Dredd
>>
>>64009729

?? make one dumbass
>>
>>64006180
Releasing 2 pages of untested content on the second monday of the month (aka the 14th) does not involve working over the holidays.
>>
>>64008530
>hits exclusively on spinsters
I lost it, this guy sounds hilarious
Have any spinsters been receptive to his smelly hobo advances?
>>
>>64010331
Oh shit, -1 to my saves against a handful of attacks from a very small number of enemies that might never show up. What'll I do?
>>
>>64008767
>this nigga doesn’t roll sexuality

Powergamer orientation buy trash are against the spirit of D&D
>>
>>64007482
Only after like the 15th session have our games gotten good. Every now and again the DM asks ‘Was that fun?’
Every time Ive said yes because Im not going to say ‘No you are actually a godawful DM’ in front of everyone else
>>
>>64010409
I bet they don't roll for Comeliness or Honor, either.
>>
File: busy_backlog.png (24 KB, 543x398)
24 KB
24 KB PNG
>>64010364
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand what working at WotC implies.
>>
I polearm master worth it on a tempest cleric? It would save me 2nd lvl spell slots and introduce new tactics.
My plan is fighting at range with a glaive and use command on anything that ends its turn adjacent to me to proc an AoO as he runs away and another when he comes back.
Also using it on the enemy backline to make then run past our frontline to reach me
>>
>>64009853
Paladin
>>
>>64010406
Become a vegetable I guess.
>>
File: 1544140536916.webm (1.35 MB, 480x360)
1.35 MB
1.35 MB WEBM
>>64010431
Take that stupid licorice out of your mouth and give me planescape.
>>
>>64010051
>>64010105

it can use a greatsword, but it's multiattack only applies to the sickle.
>>
>>64010420
Knaves, the lot of them

I’ve been rolling comeliness and sexuality since my very first D&D game, where I rolled a pretty teenage lesbian
>>
>>64010337
My DM literally told me "You are NOT the police, You are NOT Judge Dredd" so I figure that one's a little off.
I guess I'll just play him as a retired police officer slash knight or something. Devotion to the king, try to look good, tell people to fuck off if it's not in the interest of my kingdom.
>>
How many teams are playing in your area (meaning as far as you're willing to travel on a weekly basis for a 5-hour game)? Do they all know each other, do they trade stories and players, do DM's ask each other before accepting someone if they're a problem player?

If there's very few of them, do you sometimes stick with a bad group or DM because you have no other choice?
>>
>>64005302
He's a THoT!
>>
>>64010500
Oh, pfff, he wants a gentler Hand. That’s fine. Maybe play up a wiser approach to the same things. Stern 50s dad knight instead of judge dredd
>>
>>64010500
>My DM literally told me "You are NOT the police, You are NOT Judge Dredd"
Wish my DM told the conquest paladin in my game that.
>>
>>64010560
What’s the ideal background for thots? Entertainer?
>>
>>64010432
PAM on a Cleric is very strong early. Basically anyone with a Halberd proficiency, +3 attack stat and PAM is going to be a premium damage dealer early (1-4). so if that's your campaign then go for it.

however the issue arises starting at level 4, 5 an onward when you would really rather be spending your ASIs on Wisdom and you don't get Extra Attack at 5 so using your Action to attack in order to set up the Bonus Action becomes less and less attractive. here's a recommendation if your campaign is going late and would still like to frontline with no slots: Spell Sniper > Booming Blade. scales neatly with level, encourages neat hit-and-run tactics, leaves your Bonus Action open for Healing Word, Spiritual Weapon / what have you
>>
>new lizardfolk pc
>wants to be cleric
>personal end goal is find an artifact to stop a plague afflicting his people
>is actually not awful

What should the artifact be? How can I make it sound like something that would help a plague but actually turn out to be nothing once he finds it?
>>
>>64010642
>chalice of the cleansing rain
>but it only has enough magical water to cure two people in his village
>>
Can one stealth cast spells using a stealth check or a sleight of hand check, or is this something only a sorcerer with subtle spell can do?
>>
>>64010670
only a sorcerer can do
>>
>>64010642
I mean, disease is really easy to cure in 5e anyway.
>>
>>64005086
Oh baby, did we.
>party doing Strahd
>way overleveled, like 10-12
>still fun playing escort duty for the civvies
>heading towards the temple
>get to the pass, get engaged by a giant roc and two vrocks
>the roc lands dramatically only to get crit by the Paladin and grappled by the barb, immediately fucks off
>eats another smite on the AOO, has taken roughly 150 damage in two hits
>Barbarian still hanging off its leg
>The party is pretty much all melee and a cleric, so I’m getting worried as the enemies are all flying
>cue the Battlemaster swiping Ismark’s bow and landing a tripping strike on vrock, knocking it prone 550 feet in the air
>splat
>the other one, however, manages to stun everyone but the fighter with its scream, and grabs the Paladin (me) who auto-loses grapples when stunned
>fighter grabs my other arm, tug of war ensues
>meanwhile the fucking Barbarian is playing Shadow of the Collossus
>wins like 8 contested grapple checks in a row as the roc goes higher and higher, clambers to its armpit and starts sawing at its flight muscles with his sunsword
>the rest of us dispatch the second demon in time to turn and see the bird tuck its wings and dive, plummeting toward the bride
>last second it snaps its wing open and the shock of deceleration shoots the Barbarian down at terminal velocity
>tries to grab the bridge, fails
>three separate people try and lasso him, fail
>then the fighter, who’s been planning this all fight
>uses her cape of the mountebank to ddoor over and grab him midair, then triggers her immovable rod
>passes the DC 25 strength save, dislocating her shoulder but saving them both
>the cleric nukes the bird dead
>sweet victory
The roc’s corpse is now damming the river, which might be a problem later on.
>>
>>64010642
>t actually turn out to be nothing once he finds it?
Why would you do that?
>>
>>64010593
I'm going varian human, starting with resilient con and grabing PAM at 4th level just so I don't overshadow the rest of the party.
Spell sniper sounds good, specially with a reach weapon, but it wouldn't synergize with command.
>>
>>64006188
Maryliz?
>>
>>64010665
>chalice of the cleansing rain
great name

option 1
>is decanter of endless water from a desert village
option 2
>is tankard of sobriety
option 3
>is a chalice enchanted with purify food and drink (drink only) for any liquid that it holds
>>
>>64010718
Because it's about the journey.
>>
>>64010754
It’s a campaign about family, and that’s what makes it so powerful
>>
>>64010689
Hmm, I figured that. I guess if we're talking 60 ft or something like that then one can still allow people to cast charm spells and the like without others noticing if no one is too close?
>>
>>64010069
>>64009627
Yeah I was thinking of running the hunter, which might work better with a longbow? The 1d10 const die makes me feel as though they're ok in melee too, even with a 5ft range weapon.
>>
>>64010218
>Even then any time you can go dex melee it outperforms str melee
This is patently untrue.
>>
>>64010744
Maybe lizardfolk culture has a folk tale about becoming a dragon and your cleric is on the hunt for this macguffin that turns him into a dragon that will protect his people.

It can be an item, a ritual or a quest from his god.
>>
>>64010670
It actually depends on your DM, the exact volume of the vocal components is not defined in the book, it just has to be consistent for each spell.

IIRC, sage advice implied it was on porpose.
>>
>>64010861
A lot of charm spells require you to be heard.
Well, not all of them, just some.
>>
>>64010385
He took some old lady to the town fair once while under our bard's amateur hairdressing care. Imagine a guy with a neat, well-done haircut and a beard as long as his femur full of moss and twigs
>>
File: 1538429153221.jpg (348 KB, 1280x1024)
348 KB
348 KB JPG
>Party Captured by Kobolds
>taken to a huge treasure chamber.
>You hear a small squeaky voice
>"Ah, more Adventurers to add to my collection!"
>"Put them over there I will get to them in a moment"
What does your party do?
>>
>>64011077
Pick up the nearest kobold by the leg and use it as a flail to beat the shit out of whatever has the squeaky voice.
>>
܂>>64011077
I hit
>>
64011152<<
what
>>
Rolled 7 + 6 (1d20 + 6)

>>64011077
SWING
>>
Rolled 15 + 6 (1d20 + 6)

>>64011188
and AGAIN because fighter
>>
>>64011077
obvious koboldification / petrification fetish
>>
File: 1374079053468.jpg (31 KB, 526x300)
31 KB
31 KB JPG
>>64011152
><<
What the fuck?
>>
>>64005086
So whats better for new players roll20 or fantasy grounds. Fantasy ground is aparently more complicated but roll 20 is run by a sjw.
>>
܂>>64011291
What?
>>
>>64011293
>not running an ad-blocker and using Roll20 without a subscription so you can suck up bandwidth costs while not contributing any revenue to the service in order to deprive the {{{Evil SJW Menace}}} of their profits
Seriously, though, just use Roll20, it's probably all your faggot little pea brain can handle.
>>
>>64011317
Are you a wizard?
>>
܂>>64011343
Just an illusionist.
>>
64011317܂>>
rolling arcana to replicate this spell
>>
>>64011339
Guess I could do that but really whats the big difference between the two?
>>
>>64010489
Oh, yeah. I guess by "Go berserk" I meant just use the Greatsword. Didn't mean to ask if it could use Multiattack with it.
>>
܂>>64011360
That's not how you do it, anon. I'm not the illusionist, I just pretend I am >>64011355 and it just works.
>>
>>64011413
clearly i failed my check
i'm going to have to find a patron to teach me these arcane secrets
>>
>>64010440
Why and what subclass?
>>
>>64011421
܂
>>
>>64011380
Fantasy grounds runs in its own app rather than on a site, so that might help people pay attention rather than keep your game in a tab.
The dice rolling is much neater, the macros are easier to set up than roll20, you can easily drag description blocks for spells and all that from books if you get them...
But it costs a load for the DM.

Honestly I could do with more experience on both to get an opinion but I wouldn't bother with fantasy grounds unless you know you're definitely gonna play for longer than a week or two and you have disposable income.
>>
Hello /5eg/, long time 3.5e/PF grog DM here.

I find myself with a group of 5 players, only one of which has played 5e before, and only two of which have played D&D for more than a session or two ever.

They're all very excited to play, and I have a vague idea of a silly adventure involving a small village and a deranged magical chef wreaking havoc on it. I'm reading through the PHB and DMG now, and will just reskin some stuff out of the MM for the walking cabbages or whatever. I'm confident in my ability to fly by the seat of my pants, I'm not worried about anything narratively - a decade's experience will do that.

I come to you lads with this question: What are the common pitfalls, alternate/house rules, and typical 'fixes' for this edition (and in the case of the former, how to avoid them)? Every edition has something or other that nobody likes, so I thought it best to ask the people most skilled at complaining about things what they are so I can make these guys and girls' first D&D experience less clumsy.
>>
>>64005110
this is just gonna be worse than the various homebrew artificers people have made anyway
>>
>>64005110
I swear to Christ, if they didn't change shit for the better with how long it took, I'm going to eat my socks for breakfast.
>>
>>64011435
Alright seem reasonable, thanks for the response.
I've read the rules and all but I would really want to try and play the game so I can get a grasp of its concepts ""physically"".
>>
Anyone here write a journal IC? Seems like a fun way to keep notes and flesh out your character a little more.
>>
>>64011447

Figure out how you want to handle passive checks (most notably perception), if you plan to use them at all. Is it a flat number that your party can use when there's no cues for them to initiate a Perception check themselves, or is it a "you can't roll lower than this because you're always at least this perceptive".

Does having one source of disadvantage cancel ALL sources of advantage, or just one? The former leads to situations which seem mechanically inconsistent, the latter means your party (and the monsters) should prioritize sources of advantage.
>>
>>64011447
crit fails don't exist
crit success only exists on attack rolls
>>
File: 1544428318379.jpg (52 KB, 221x455)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>>64011220
>koboldification / petrification fetish
>>
>>64011434<<
>>
64011546<<
>>
>>64011559
HOW DO IT WORK ANON AAA
>>
>>64011447
If you cast a spell as a bonus action, you can only cast a cantrip as your action.
Your bonus action can go before or after your action.
Your bonus action must go after your action if it triggers because of your action. See the Feat: Polearm Master
Potions are an action to consume
There's no benefit to mounted combat except that your horse can die and you can fall prone
>>
>>64011447
It's probably best if you don't use any houserules, really. It's unnecessary for too small a difference. You just have to look out for specific things and make sure it doesn't happen.

Always use the feats variant rule.
Multiclassing is a good variant rule to allow.
Point buy is a variant rule you should always be using over rolled stats unless your players are autistic or something. Rolled stats only help munchkins, but can be fine in a one shot or high mortality campaign.
Use revised ranger instead of ranger.
Use checkpoints or milestones for XP unless you're sure of a goal: Your players definitely want to kill monsters (monsters=exp) or loot stuff (gold=exp)

Things to watch out for:
Multiclassing non-core content (hexblade is an infamous one, revised ranger)
An experienced player playing something like a wizard and not picking spells thematically, but min-maxing instead. Or a martial and picking all the damage feats. If you don't have experienced players, you don't need to worry.
People picking from a range of every single book. Not always broken, but often snowflakey.

The only super broken stuff tends to be at very high levels you won't likely play and requires you to abuse a way you'd never allow anyway (wish+simulacrum) or it's in an additional book (healing spirits) but I guess moon druid is something people hate anyway (mostly at low levels) and that's core. I wouldn't ban it unless you're already banning other stuff.
>>
܂>>64011447
>What are the common pitfalls, alternate/house rules, and typical 'fixes' for this edition (and in the case of the former, how to avoid them)?
Rolling to jump. It's just a fixed number based on your strength.
Using critical success/fail for anything other than attacks and death saves. Modifiers matter more than whatever nonsense you roll on the die for a skill check. Someone with a negative modifier will never succeed a DC20, whereas someone with a +10 should never fail a DC10.
Even then a natural 1 on an attack is just an automatic miss, no fumbles.

>Every edition has something or other that nobody likes, so I thought it best to ask the people most skilled at complaining about things what they are
Awww, that's very considerate.

>so I can make these guys and girls' first D&D experience less clumsy.
Have fun.
>>
܂>>64011576
Look closely
>>
64011546>>
>>
>Rolling to jump. It's just a fixed number based on your strength.
The PHB says you can roll to jump, though.
>>
܂>>64011599
Just click quote and put the magic dot at the start. Now you know and can stop trying.
>>
>>64011434
I understand, master. I will experiment elsewhere܂ And return later.
>>
>>64011579
>There's no benefit to mounted combat except that your horse can die and you can fall prone
There's no downside*
>>
>>64011603
To jump further.
>>
Not sure if I'm just not used to this DM style but
>my turn, trying to suss out if we should retreat
>how injured does (party member) look?
>"are you proficient in medicine?"
>no
>"you don't know."
Another scenario
>sneaking around
>finds a bandit roasting a meal in their camp
>does he seem to notice us?
>are you proficient in insight?
>no
>"impossible to tell."

Essentially he'd locked us out of skill checks for everything but the most common ones (perception, athletics, investigation etc). I'm feeling like this is a slippery slope towards "Do I know what a goblin is" but am I just being paranoid
>>
>>64011579
>There's no benefit to mounted combat except that your horse can die and you can fall prone
>What is more movement speed
>What is free disengages
>>
>>64011682
This DM is pretty dumb. You might want to tell him to re-read the DMG.
Characters have more information than the players, if anything. It's why the players have to ask.
>>
>>64011603
Sorry, let me clarify, rolling to jump no matter the situation. Jumping ability (distance/height) is based on strength.

Rolling for jumping should be limited to whether or not someone can build up the speed, or come to a halt, due to slippery surfaces or similar. Or to perform a stunt mid-jump, which requires Athletics, not Acrobatics. The latter doesn't let you cover meaningful distance while you do a backflip.
>>
File: 1507199449215.png (230 KB, 300x420)
230 KB
230 KB PNG
>game got delayed for 7 weeks
>>
>>64011447
Some subclasses are notoriously weak or even self-detrimental if you don't know how to use them right, so be careful of anyone playing:
>Berserker barbariain
>Wrath of the Four Elements Monk
>Non-revised Beastmaster Ranger
>Champion Fighter
and some subclasses can be finicky and often depends on how the DM runs things
>Thief Rogue
>Assassin Rogue
>Wild Sorcerer
>Conjuration Wizard
>Illusion Wizard
But if a player wants to play something, let them I guess as long as they know what they're in for.

Alignment means basically nothing in 5e except for fiends/celesteials/some planar creatures.
Paladins do not need a god. They can also be 'bad guys' quite easily, though you might want to be worried if they are.
Clerics technically don't need a god but you should probably be concerned if they don't have a god.

A lot of races have darkvision, but this is just to make things play easier. Don't forget darkvision only sees dim light and no color which means relying solely on darkvision is likely to run you into traps you can't see / encounters you didn't see. Punish players for it if you want, or don't.
>>
how do i play an idol in d&d
>>
>>64011682
Your DM might fail to realize how few senses of the characters the players experience (none), and what information those senses give people. See if you can try asking "Does (party member/monster) look bloodied?". You might not be able to tell at a glance someone has a cracked rib, but you should be able to tell if someone's bleeding through their robes.

It is a slippery slope though, ask your DM if he could clarify what he means, use wording to not sound accusative but inquisitive/dumb.
>>
܂>>64011796
Expertise in Performance, Disguise Kit, Weaver Tools, and lots of money spend on fabric to craft your own frilly dresses.
>>
>>64011796
Glamour bard
>>
>>64011851
What race and class? How do I truly encapsulate it? I'm doing it for Strahd because I don't want to play Strahd and all my friends do.
>>
>>64011869
Why don't you want to play Strahd? Are you intentionally being a faggot to your friends because of it?
>>
>>64011909
It's not really my thing, I don't really like horror/gothic stuff and we're playing it because the girls in the group outvoted myself and my friends. I'm not being a faggot I'm just trying to make it fun for me
>>
.>>64011630
>>
>>64011869
Bard, Glamour as >>64011868 said. Race-wise, Halfling if you want to be child sized. But it doesn't matter too much. Just avoid the races generally considered ugly/not cute. Then play as a very optimistic person who wants to bring a smile to the faces of the common people. Let love guide your actions.
>>
>>64011727
>game got delayed for 7 weeks
>through December and early January, one of the most hectic travel months of the year and two of the only holidays celebrated globally
Gee what a shocker
>>
>>64011936
I got this.
>>
>>64011824
>>64011719
Definitely a weird experience, but I'll stick around a bit to see how deep it goes. The first time that medicine thing came up and raised red flags on is a scenario that happened early on in the session to someone else
>you feel a warm fluid drip from your forehead down to your face
>it's blood, you start feeling hazy and lightheaded
>"Can I tell what caused this injury?"
>not proficient so no.
>"really no pain, nothing if I touch my head?"
>You feel pain and touching it brings more blood to your fingers but no.

Also is it ever allowed in any way to change the stat a skill check uses?
>cleric heads over to rescue one of us
>"it's a dislocated leg. I will need you to roll a Medicine but use your strength to put it back to the proper place. You can't use proficiency bonus."
>>
܂>>64011630
>>
>>64011956
>Also is it ever allowed in any way to change the stat a skill check uses?
Yes, that's a rule in the books. Most don't know about it though
>>
File: =).jpg (47 KB, 500x375)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>64011962
Is this what an INT ASI feels like?
>>
>>64011522
>>64011524
>>64011579
>>64011584
>>64011588
>>64011769

Thanks for the quick responses, guys, I didn't expect to get this out of the way during just my lunch break. Guess the generals are a lot faster these days.

I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind and return next week to tell y'all how it went.
>>
>>64011956
>roll a Medicine but use your strength to put it back to the proper place. You can't use proficiency bonus
I would call such bullshit right here. You can change the stat, but I don't think you can revoke proficiency.
>>
>>64011931
Sit that one out then, there's nothing worse than someone playing a meme character in a somewhat serious setting.
>>
File: 1547136869788.png (584 KB, 612x612)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
܂>>64011956
>Also is it ever allowed in any way to change the stat a skill check uses?
Yeah, and too few DMs use it. If you want to make a performance by cartwheels and backflips, a Dexterity (Performance) is definitely possible. The example in the book is using Strength (Intimidation) by lifting a rock or somesuch.
>>
>>64009236
well you dont get 3 attacks until level 11
>>
>>64012031
But I host our group at my house, anon.
>>
>>64011973
Fair enough but RAI is it okay to do that as a way to lower the chances of success on a roll? Like this DM changing a +5 Medicine to a -1 Medicine?
>>
>>64012009
we just like any chance to complain about shit passive-aggressively.
>>
>>64011931
Play an overweight NEET girl with bad acne and comically oversized glasses and just point out problems with the setting IC-ly the entire time.
>>
>>64012019
>but I don't think you can revoke proficiency.
Correct. That shouldn't be understated.
>>
܂>>64011630
i deed it
>>
>>64012050
Then be a big boy and realize you can't always get things the way you want. This time they want to play Strahd, next time you can vote to play something you like, you can even tell them you played what they wanted even if you didn't. Shit ain't hard, boy.
>>
I want to make an artificer subclass based on the one WOTC put out

One that's sort of made around having a suit of power armor. What are some ideas to have with it?
>>
>>64012083
Well, what do you recommend I play?
>>
File: 1494294859094.jpg (115 KB, 500x724)
115 KB
115 KB JPG
.>>64011630
>>
File: 1487418970867.jpg (71 KB, 500x540)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>there are more long-lived ancient races than "short" lived ones
>there are more races with Darkvision than races without

Anyone else bothered by this?
>>
>>64005110
>in development for FOUR YEARS
>wait a month because "we still have to finish it"
I'm going to laugh so fucking hard at the massive amount of salt from people who were still holding out hope that it had any chance of being good.
If it doesn't get delayed yet again, that is.
>>
>>64012095
A class feature you can only get if your dad sits in a chair for 10,000 years.
>>
.>>64011630
>>
>>64012047
But also when DMs use it they use it wrong.
>Strength (intimidation) just by being a barbarian
If your muscles are scary to someone, it's a situational change in DC. Some people would be less scared by the fact you're strong since it means they think you're just a musclehead and have no way to escape their forcecage.

The way it's shown in the PHB is they compound two rolls usually: Strength crush a helmet and intimidation to then intimidate your target.
Same as what you said there, you're compounding dexterity (acrobatics) and charisma (performance) together.
Though there are cases where it isn't really compounding a check. Using intellect (medicine) to identify a poison in its bottle is using intellect's memory recall but not using any wisdom at all, really, just medicine's proficiency.
>>
File: 8MbYlmn.jpg (273 KB, 829x912)
273 KB
273 KB JPG
>>64012102
>but somehow the short live humans are dominant
Yeah, I'm more bother by that.
>>
If one wanted to "extinguish the sun", what plane/god would one want to eliminate?
>>
>>64012163
Get all the death gods to join you to kill all life and sun gods.
>>
>>64010980
>>64010983
I see, thanks.
>>
File: 1547054623362.png (619 KB, 909x865)
619 KB
619 KB PNG
>>64012009
>>64011447
all these replies and nobody warned him about Moon Druid.
>>
>>64012152
>There are more insects than humans
>Despite insects not having knowledge of the universe and living hardly very long
>>
>>64012152
There's nothing wrong with that though
>>
>>64012113
>just by being a barbarian
True, fuck that. Though I'd rather have that than a DM picking a skill that doesn't actually apply to the thing you are doing, just to make you roll with a lower modifier.

>>64012113
>Using intellect (medicine) to identify a poison in its bottle is using intellect's memory recall
Or deduction, analytical ability, studied knowledge. Wisdom being the default key ability for medicine is dumb as hell anyway. Because I can hear the best I can stop you from bleeding out!
>>
>super comfortable with spontanous rp stuff and unexpected stuff
>combat encounters make me super nervous and I dread them every time
I don't even know if I enjoy them that much, it's all so much to handle
>>
>plan to run a small game for my established group, they have all been DMing for years but I never have
>ask them for simple character concepts
>Oh can I play a feral tiefling flying monk
>oh can I play a simic hybrid four armed grappler
>oh can I play a UA harvest druid

why.jpg
>>
>>64012223
Moon Druid was mentioned.
>>
>>64012257
What is it about combat that rattles you, anon?
>>
>>64012223
If he's coming from 3.5, he's used to druids being incredibly powerful. Compared to that edition, 5e Moon Druids are pretty tame.
>>
>>64011630.
>>
>>64012253
Wisdom makes sense because you have to check over your patient and be aware of their condition all the time. I guess they just wanted to link it to clerics and druids and 'spiritual rock healing'
>>
>>64012267
oh, it was mentioned. in an offhand way, so I overlooked it. excuse me for being a dumb animeposter
>>
>>64012223
I mentioned it briefly. I said 'don't ban it if you're not also banning other stuff or it's just petty'
>>
>>64012268
I dread that I will unbalance the encounter and it will be too hard or that it will be way too easy. I am not that good at multitasking so I tend to forget easily. It's hard to relax and enjoy the encounters and I feel like I'm very drained afterwards. They also sound cool on paper but I feel very limited because they often take so much time, so it pretty much feels like I can only ever squeeze in one combat encounter per session, or two but then it will be almost all we do that session. It doesn't feel as freeform as other things. If combat was something that sometimes took 15min yet felt like it had a lot of value then I'd maybe enjoy it more.
>>
So when a druid casts moonbeam on a square with a creature on it, does that creature immediately have to make a con save and take damage; or does it make the con save on the start of its turn?
>>
64012297<<.
>>
>>64012257
I don't get the same way you do, but I don't particularly care about combat either, even if my character is a powerhouse. I'm more interested in the story and party interactions, the rest are just speedbumps. Though, I must admit, my DM makes every encounter a deadly one, so it might be that as well.
>>
>>64012257
player or DM?
>>
>>64011576.
Look closely
>>
>>64012376
DM
>>
>>64012257
https://theangrygm.com/manage-combat-like-a-dolphin/

This makes combat even harder for the DM to do, but at least it will be fast.
Easier encounters can be more deadly like this.
>>
>>64011630
>>
>>64012340
>because they often take so much time, so it pretty much feels like I can only ever squeeze in one combat encounter per session, or two but then it will be almost all we do that session
have you considered trying to run them faster?

with a table of 3 (smaller, I know) I managed to roll initiative 4 times in 3 and a half hours. it was the most combat heavy we've ever been (storming a castle) but we made it work.
>>
>>64012340
Do you generally run games in person or online?
>>
>>64012102
Yeah. But it's not a problem since only humans are allowed at my table.
>>
܂>>64012440
like this, peabrain
you put it before the >>s
>>
>>64012171
So is there a generalized "plane of sun" or something? Im still new to alternate planes and dont feel confident just making shit up.
>>
.>>64012462
gayfagot
>>
.>>64012462
>>
64012462<<.
>>
File: 234463444.png (245 KB, 600x487)
245 KB
245 KB PNG
>>64012430
>I have a lot of trouble listening to GMs getting worked up over stupid, nonsensical things. Trivialities. Non-issues
>When that's his entire blog
>>
>>64012449
I run them in person
>>64012448
Yeah, well that's one problem, we're a very big party. Six players. So battles naturally take more time and there's more to keep track of (since I usually need a parity in trashmobs or otherwise the action economy makes quick work of the enemies) I've definitely made an effort for people to decide what they're going to do before it's their turn, but then there's usually questions and hesitation and only the martials ever seem to have their shit together honestly.
>>
New thread

>>64012529
>>64012529
>>64012529

New thread
>>
>>64012522
Perhaps you can delegate keeping track of certain things to the more competent players?
>>
>>64012553
I've been trying to nudge them in that direction, but I could maybe do something a bit more substantial. I've been trying to indicate that, if they have a certain effect that they place on an enemy or so on, then it's sort of their responsibility to remind me of it when it's the enemy's turn or I might forget it and so on. I'm also going to try out putting things on the enemies to symbolize status effects, I think that may help.

It's more that I'm just wondering if maybe I just don't enjoy dnd combat that much? I wasn't that enthralled when I was playing as a player either so.
>>
>>64010105
The wicked sickle that redcaps use is a heavy weapon. It deals 2d4, normal sickles deal 1d4.
>>
>>64012618
It might very well be the case. Try some different systems when you get the chance, and see if you like how they handle things better. Even if your table doesn't want to move on from D&D, maybe you can pick up some rules that you think work better.
>>
>>64012516
yuh that's the joke I believe
>>
܂>>64011630
I regret not mentioning that doing it correct does not require pressing the Post button to confirm.
>>
64012956<<.
help im a retard

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.