[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: IMG_20181104_101919.jpg (276 KB, 1536x2048)
276 KB
276 KB JPG
My players really want to run games where they play as nations - like a tabletop version of Model UN with rules and fun. Are there any systems that allow for/encourage this, and if not, what would a homebrewed one look like?

I will clarify I don't mean something like risk. They want to have diplomacy, control over economics/troops, events to react to and no specified win state.
>>
Have you looked at Diplomacy?
>>
>>64004109
Never heard of it, but I'm checking it out now. Will report back with results.
>>
>>64004109
>>64004124
Ok, I'm assuming you're talking about https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diplomacy_(game) ? If so, I don't think it's quite what I'm looking for. My goal is a ttrpg with nations instead of an adventuring party, not a competitive board game where you could "win" or "lose". Thanks though.
>>
>>64004171
Closest thing I can pitch is Legacy:Life among the Ruins. It's a pbta game where you play as smallish factions in a post apocalyptic wasteland. You could probably hack it into something usable for you
>>
Just play a 4x game
>>
>>64004057
Im playing in a homebrewed one right now

basically everyone made a Nationstates nation, we got 3-4 weeks to make our nations ahead and pick which direction we wanted to go, then we were left at it.

There's basically me (Wannabe US)
Stalin (Wannabe USSR)
Hess (Wannabe Germany)
playing in a "What if WWII didn't happen game"

there's also a few other players but mostly little guys that we can push around with our wealth and power.
We call them Italys, because if you spook them enough, they switch side

The "League of nation secretary" apparently wants to pull us toward an alien scenario.
>>
>>64004299
Interesting. I've played around with Nationstates before, but I don't know how I'd make it into an even remotely playable system. Care to share any details such as how combat goes/dice rolls/diplomacy scenarios etc.?
>>
File: Ruleset 3.0 (2).pdf (1008 KB, PDF)
1008 KB
1008 KB PDF
>>64004057
You will have to change arsenal and building fluff, but this might help you.

Enjoy.
>>
>>64004430
Very interesting anon. Just for clarification, what's TN?
>>
>>64004447
> TN
Target Number

> Strong hit
Rolling a natural 6 on a 3d6 roll.
>>
>>64004393
Okay. so, first of, there's 2 phases
Phase 1 is the 'assembly' phase, the Secretary brings us the issue of the day.
the first issue we go was "Mosquitos are causing a ravaging plague in "wannabe USSR", so we offered ways to deal with them
some said "we should research a cure"
others said "We should drop mustard gas on them"

9 to 1, mustard gas won.

then the secretary says "early estimates say we'll need about 5K for the first tries to work, anyone wanna fork in some money?"

so players can fork in some cash, and add some conditions like "We do this, but it's my pilots that are doing the work." or "I keep any leftover mustard gas" and whatever.

phase two is the building phase. Players recieve tax funds every turn, and they spend it here to research, purchase planes, tanks and whatever comes on their mind.

I got stories to share.
>>
>>64004447
It's heavily altered Ultimate Campaign from Pathfinder, mixed with Fragged Empires rolls. The game had potential but was botched and censored to unplayability.
>>
>>64004454
Thanks!
>>
>>64004447
We've just begun our 3rd campaign. The game was much altered since we started playing it. A lot of balance issues.
>>
>>64004485
What apins me is that I can't really transfer you the most refined part we worked on: The Excel character sheet. All those calculations.
>>
>>64004503
And it's quite necessary too. Such a game becomes very complex, very quickly.
>>
>>64004485
Just to give you an idea, there's an army sheet, a leadership sheet, and 2 for every city you found. The city's layout and its surroundings.
>>
>>64004539
Huh, pdfs don't seem to be a good format for the Kingdom sheets.
>>
File: End Turn 12, Halflings.png (104 KB, 1896x854)
104 KB
104 KB PNG
>>64004561
Here's what the army sheet looks like.
>>
>>64004485
There's a lot of binary checks too. "=IF([target cell]=0;0;1)" and such. Should probably integrate graphs too.
>>
>>64004590
That said, I'd be willing to drop the Kingdom Sheet XLSX somewhere...
>>
>>64004635
Nah this is plenty. Thanks!
>>
>>64004652
Glad my group's commercial grade autism could be of use.
>>
>>64004692
Heh, I flip the sheet and it then fits.
>>
>>64004692
And with this, I'm gone for the night.
Enjoy.
>>
>>64004299
That sounds really neat, is it tabletop, online, or via the Nation-states website?
>>
>>64004471
Share stories and details on the system pl0x
>>
File: Spoiler Image (27 KB, 533x615)
27 KB
27 KB JPG
>>64004930
It's live, around a table at my College.

>>64004950
So, one of the things we came across were irregularities in the budget of the League of Nation, we decided to investigate and figured out easily enough that the tresaury was profitering with 'vague estimates' that were often boosted to 5 to 10 times what the project would actually cost.

So we decided to dissolve and pick a new general secretary of the league of nations, The "secretary" offered that everyone propose a candidate and then we'd pick among them.

Wakanda (one of the Italys) proposed his brother to be secretary general, I proposed a neet cousin, Stalin proposed one of his general and the little nation of Alaskia proposed... "Ballsy the Hamster.".

We laughed, and eventually voted him in.

The Secretary was surprised but said "Considering Ballsy the Hamster is um... Unfit to administer his position, we will have to elect a Vice secretary to speak in his name and interpret his noises..."

So we had yet another election, this time everyone knew the rules of the game, we voted unanimously for the Wakandan prince....'s mount.

DM decided to therefore postpone the actual election...
>>
>>64004950
>>64005408
Other than that, once, neither of the other big powers could make it to the game, but the Secretary still simulated what Stalin did, and revealed that the USSR had began producing destroyers.

Now you see, one thing about our system is that, whenever you do an action in phase 2, you roll. Not to see if it works, but you instead roll to see if you manage to keep it secret.

The more spies you send in a nation, the better are your chances to know what others are doing.

So, upon hearing about this, I decided to form my own alliance. With the two other minor powers on my continent, I announced that we would no longer "Bend the knee in face of warmongers", and offered a continental defence pact which every other guy on my continent soon signed. We spent the rest of the session working together toward making a united army, capable of facing the larger threat that presented himself as the "Oversea warmonger"

Now, Stalin got wind of this, and immediately got a little pissy, So he signed a form of 'Molotov ribbentrop' pact with the German major and proceeded to intimidate my allies, by proposing to pay for their every expenses, and some by menacing to lay to ashes their cities and salt their crops.

This had for immediate consequence the fact that both of my italian friends immediately switched side.

But I was prepared. once my turn came, I announced that "The continental sovereighty of Drenleq would not be threatened" sent an ultimatum out to the others, who sticked close to Stalin. Stalin also declared in response to this public Ultimatum "The 2nd warm water fleet shall dock in the capital of Alaskiaa to do some... Peacekeeping"

Fine by me, I announced that 300 of the 400 halftracks I had in reserve would motor out toward Alaskia. The rest of my troops would stand at the ready, and that all reserves would be mobilized.

As expected, Stalin was bluffing. He said "You know what... We're leaving port."

and now the Italys were alone...

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.