[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

How do you justify the use of scientific or otherwise culturally-focused names in fantasy settings. The minotaur for example is linked to the king Minos, which of course wouldn't exist in a fantasy world probably.

For example I use prehistoric animals a lot, but there wasn't a Greece or Rome in my fantasy world so I need to explain why they are named the way they are. So I have decided that the creatures are named after the explorer who discovered them. Pic related was first encountered by the late Pericon Dunkleosteus, a diver/pioneer of some renown. The Tyrannosaurus was introduced to the civilized world by the emperor Joznan Tyrannosaur (saur being a common last name suffix in many nations), who was the first mortal to use one as a mount (which is why the full name of the beast is Tyrannosaurus Rex, as it is the steed of kings).
>>
Nobody cares or even notices.
>>
Coincidence, and more importantly, the fact that no one wants you to make an ass out of yourself by "showing off" etymology shit you found on google and buzzfeed.

Imagine being that lame.
>>
>>63997419
this. you're being an absolut autist on top of being a faggot, OP.
>>
File: 8971011.jpg (102 KB, 801x534)
102 KB
102 KB JPG
>naming your monsters
>>
The game is a translated record of another world's story, and some aspects are too awkward or nonsensical to translate and thus use a commonly-accepted term or equivalent.
>>
>>63997470
If I wasn't an autist I wouldn't be here, and this stuff doesn't come up unless its relevant. In the campaign with the tyrannosaur lore it it, for example, because one of the players wanted to overthrow the kingdom and he was told he'd need to tame and ride a tyrannosaurus to prove he was worthy because that's just how things are done because the first emperor did it.
>>
>>63997340
I think you're getting way to deep into the 'tism and aren't even doing well at it. If you don't want to have things use common scientific names them the easiest solution is to make/find a conlang with names for those things and rename everything yourself. Why would the first part of someone's name be Tyrann? Why does Rex still mean king? What the fuck does Dunkleo mean for it to be part of a last name? What sort of king rides a fucking T-Rex?
>>
People know what a minotaur is, same with stuff like elves, a unicorn, etc. Calling it something else just because, even if it's functionally no different is pointless fluff.
>>
>>63997563
>What sort of king rides a fucking T-Rex?
The Baddest Motherfucker of Kings, clearly.
>>
You're overthinking tiny details OP. People in your setting probably aren't speaking English: Yet everything happens in English, translated into English for our benefit.
>>
>>63997340
>his setting isn't our own world
Into da trash, bruddah.
>>
/tg/ showing off their shit taste, as per usual
>>
>>63998090
Are you gonna do better or are you gonna smugly suck cocks in our general direction?
>>
>>63997533
>it's okay, because I am autistic
kek
>>
>>63997340
You do know that most of the Latin names that are used as scientific names nowadays simply describe the animal or what people that the animal to be when it was discovered. Just translate the Latin names into English and rearrange them a bit. The T-Rex would be a Tyrant Kings Lizard. Which could fit pretty well with your lore as it is. And the Dunkleosteus is an Bone Helm Fish. Besides, the real thing is named after the Paleontologist Dunkel and the Greek word for bone.
>>
>>63997340
Brevity.

There's little point in making up new names for something when there's an existing one that everyone already understands.
>>
Do you guys create unique "mundane" animals for your setting or do you have cows and goats mixed in with more fantastical creatures? Would having no normal animals in your setting be worth the effort, even if some of the things you end up creating are functionally equivalent?
>>
File: RT language.png (404 KB, 503x654)
404 KB
404 KB PNG
>>63997340
>culturally-focused names
Do you know how etymology works? Can you find me a culturally unfocused name?

Unless your players are fluent in Khuzdul and Telerin, you should consider that you're playing in a dubbed version of the setting.
Otherwise you're merely displacing the issue. What are the roots of the names of misters Dunkleosteus and Tyrannosaurus?
House Capet is called that way because its founder wore a Cope/cappa, house Hapsburg owned the Hawk's Castle, and so on.

I'm sorry but you have the autism.

>>63997563
>make/find a conlang with names for those things and rename everything yourself.
Terrible idea unless your ideas are truly original, and the hallmark of bad fantasy novels.

>this is a vargloblug, from varglo - cattle, and blug - soldier; it looks like a massive human with a bull's head. It is covered in svaffen, inscriptions made by putting gbuen ink under the skin. It wears a gyttre molldac, a cuirass made of dseaj, a red metal that becomes green-blue with age. In its hand is a glafui, a weapon similar to a bhutwu but with a curved blade instead of a straight one.
>so, a tattoed minotaur wearing bronze armor and a scimitar?
>yes

Defeats the purpose of communication. Most groups aren't here to LARP Tolkien's linguistics, so let's use our actual language to convey something, and use the shared general knowledge of the concepts to advance the game.
If your players aren't complete dumbasses, they'll adapt to the specificities of the setting quickly. I don't expect the same thing from a vampire from WFRP, Monsterhearts, WoD or DnD, and act accordingly depending on the game.
You can do exposition via linguistics, but that shouldn't be your primary tool unless you want to sound like a Cimmerian theosaurus and spend hours describing every single scene.
>>
>>63999618
100% unique. Largest issue is introducing players to these things without a visual aid.
>>
>>63999618
Unless the difference plays a role in the story, the six legged scaly animal with ocelli all over its body that gives you meat and milk is still a cow.
>>
SMUG SON OF A BITCH SO CONTENT YOUR TIME IS SHORT AND WE SHALL ALL BE DUST

FUCK YOU
>>
>>63997427
The only ones I get a bit off on are things named after modern day locations like Utah or Dakota, so I call the Utah raptor a Dire Raptor, and the Dakota raptor.... I'm still working out
>>
>>63999773
On that topic, there are a couple studies about the vocabulary used in sci-fi to convey the exotic without getting the readers lost, like Heinlein dilating door or Asimov motionless starcases.
>>
>>63999890
>and the Dakota raptor.... I'm still working out
The Dork raptor.

Because that's what it looks like.
>>
>>63999890
Call the bigger of the two the Direr Raptor, with the implication of a Direst Raptor on the table.
>>
>>63997340
>not renaming them entirely
What you have there is a goddamn murderfish, scourge of fishermen everywhere. They'll eat your hauls and eat your haulers if you give them a chance.
And everyone knows the reason one doesn't venture too far into the southern lands is the threat of the terror lizards roaming about. They say that the beasts that reign in that realm can eat a knight, horse and all!
>>
>>63997340
Think of it this way: It isnt that everything in that world is actually named the same thing as we have it. Trees are not called trees, grass isnt grass, and they dont speak English. Everything said and done, is just what the canonical conversation occurring is being translated into for our benefit and practicality. So there was no king minos, they dont call minotaurs minotaurs, but that is what their word for it gets translated into for us when we engage in that setting for our convenience
>>
>>63997340
I get where you are coming from but I do agree you are worldbuilding into the realm of player apathy. >>63998457 gave a pretty solid suggestion and I think using that method would be the easiest way to achieve your goal.
>>
>>63997340
If you're gonna remove latin roots from names I better not hear you using other words with latin roots. The cultural significance is huge anon!
>>
File: air bison.gif (2 MB, 640x360)
2 MB
2 MB GIF
I am not sure in doing this for all animals is worth given that you are one person and DMing is enough work as it is if you are doing it right, but why not The Last Avatar it. Mash whatever together and your players will get that this is supposed to be different/unique, but again it is not worth it.

>Badgermole
>Air Bison
>Cat gator
>>
>>63997340
Same answer as "Why do characters speak [your native language] in a setting where that language doesn't exist?": It's just assumed that it's all being translated from whatever language is spoken in-setting.
>>
>>63997340
It's for the convenience of the players. Worst comes to worst, you can just call them something that conveys what it is just as well. Like how Blizzard just calls Minotaurs 'Tauren' instead.
>>
>>63997492
unironically this^^

It's much better for your monsters to be mysterious, describe what they see without explicitly telling them what it is. Players get really paranoid when they encounter something they can't immediately classify.
>>
>>64000007
Doesn't rule out a Direster Raptor though
>>
>>63997470
>>63997419
I don't think he's being a faggot... just an autist, and not necessarily in a bad way.
>>
>>63997563
>What sort of king rides a fucking T-Rex?
perhaps the lamest and weakest thing i've seen written on /tg/ in a month
>>
>>64006464
He's right though. It should at least have steampunk implants and death rays in its eyes

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.