[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1301384750809.jpg (131 KB, 800x800)
131 KB
131 KB JPG
Villains Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Sidekicks
https://media.wizards.com/2018/dnd/downloads/UA_Sidekicks.pdf

>5e Trove
https://thetrove.net/Books/Dungeons%20&%20Dragons/D&D%205th%20Edition/

>5etools
https://5etools.com

>Stable releases
https://get.5e.tools/

>Resources
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Previous session: >>63985891

What makes a good villain?
>>
>>63996364
A villain that genuinely believes what they're doing is right, and on the surface it seems so. Dig a bit deeper however, and you find that the ends might not justify the means.
>>
>warlocks require constant input from their patron in exchange for their normal class features
It's all so you can make them do wacky missions that put them in awkward or catch-22 situations and push them away from ever playing warlock again.
>>
File: 1421177718888.jpg (101 KB, 736x1070)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
Wizards, Sorcerers, Clerics, Druids and Bards all get 1 spell slot less for each spell level, to a minimum of 1.
Sorcerers, Clerics, Druids and Bards all get Arcane Recovery equivalents.
Wizard and Land Druid special ability grants them an extra use per day.

There, I fixed casters.
>>
>>63996364
Relatability that you can agree 'yeah, I might actually do that if I were in their situation' but also that you wouldn't really want to help them. Like the food stall across the road that has been doing better than your food stall, except their food stall is cutting costs with irresponsibly resourced food and they work their staff to the bone, unfairly.
>>
How powerful is a weapon that has permanent additional damage? Like a fighter who has an axe that always deals an additional bit of lightning damage

Rare, very rare?
>>
I'm starting a gritty sea campaign soon. Any tips?
Still not sure how I should bring the party together. They're all hired by a navigators' guild, but that's all I have so far.
>you all wake up chained up in the brig of a pirate/slaver ship (fun, but the same happened recently in OotA before we paused that campaign)
>you're on a cartography mission and a bigass monster attacks the ship just like >>63995757's story (nice read by the way, that's some good inspiration)
>the shipwreck already happened and you all start on a shitty little raft
>you wake up in the kraken's belly
>???
>>
>>63996443
That doesn't do anything but prevent 'no short rest' campaigns from being entirely shit.
>>
>>63996209
that's as much as a hammer m8
and on the subject of balance they might have been slightly too good as monks from level 1-4 if they had a d6 (+3 to hit, 2d6 +6, 40 feet movement). as is they make really good monks already.
>>
File: 1415840916299.jpg (212 KB, 1920x1080)
212 KB
212 KB JPG
Can a low magic setting be fun?
>>
>>63996473
Compare your homebrew to flame tongue and frost brand.

Consider how many attacks your pc will be making with it. Flame tongue on a barb is stronger than a rogue.

Flame Tongue
>1ba to activate
>2d6 fire damage extra
>rare

Frost brand
>extra 1d6
>gives res to fire
>very rare
>>
>>63996499
Yes
>>
File: 5eg 'fixes' 5e.jpg (17 KB, 236x477)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>63996443
>>
>>63996443
good rules if you have 1-2 encounters between long rests and never short rest. (editor's note: some people do play this way despite 5e not being balanced around it)

otherwise no.
>>
>>63996473
That really tells us fucking nothing
How much damage?
What weapon?

Low damage dice weapons need +damage unless they use sharpshooter or something where they need +to hit more.
>>
>>63996473
So more damage outside of a +1/2/3? I'd say legendary if its equivalent to +4 or more
>>
>>63996499
yeah man. just, you know. your casters are going to be pretty special people.
>>
>>63996522
>>63996473
Comparing to flame tongue is a pretty shitty way of doing it.
>+7 damage per hit
>rare

It deals almost twice the additional damage of paladin's improved divine smite for god's sake, which is a level 11 ability almost on par with fighter's second extra attack.
>>
>>63996499
If you're okay with casters being effectively gods/ not allowing them at all and possibly alienating players then sure.
>>
File: AlligatorsSwordYuGiOh.png (573 KB, 624x467)
573 KB
573 KB PNG
>>63996490
pic related gets 1d6 and natural armor
>>
>>63996561
>>63996549
>>63996545
I'm not sure about damage yet, I'm workshopping a weapon for one of my players that will get better as she explorersher backstory. I'm wanting to give it a lightning or thunder theme. They're going to be level 7-8 when she gets it, so I want it to be cool and exciting but not overpowering yet.

Maybe it takes a bonus action to activate and lasts for one minute, once a day? Deals an additional d8 or d10 of damage?
>>
>>63996579
True, but Centaurs get 40ft movement + more from Monk and Charge and aren't considered humanoids.
>>
Yoyo, I'm almost done with a thick meaty homebrew splatbook. Merchants, and weresharks and a bunch of stuff. If you give me your email and critique or test or whatever it, I'll give you the final one when it's done.
>>
If I'm running a Battle on the Big Bridge scenario, how should I handle it? I'm thinking of having a long battlemap with encounters that trigger as the party progresses, but I'm not sure how well that might go over. Any of y'all run this sort of encounter before?
>>
File: 1291762087618.jpg (143 KB, 421x409)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>63996443
Imagine a level 8 Wizard
Base game spell slots: 4/3/3/2
Your game spell slots: 3/2/2/1
He went from 12 spells to 8.
But the loss is top heavy. He lost 50% of his level 4 slots, but only 25% of his level 1 slots.

Might be cool.
>>
>>63996579
yup they do. and:

>their natural armor is not going to be better than their monk unarmored defense since they get +1 WIS. Centaur has the same AC
>they can't get their attack stat (STR or DEX) to 16 before first ASI, so they would deal less damage than the centaur monk (2d6+6 with +5 to hit vs 2d6+4 with +4 to hit)
>they only have 30 feet movement

they do get a bit of THP on short rest though which isn't bad. 1d6 centaurs would be noticeably better (from 1-4)
>>
>>63996651
sigurdchalphy@gmail.com

i'll take a look
>>
>>63996631
I'd make it bonus action to activate, lasts for one minute once a day, but it does flametongue damage, so 2d6.
>>
>>63996499
Yes, though D&D may not be the best system for it. If you want to try and make it fit for 5e, cap characters at a max of 5/6 levels of any full caster class. That makes the limit level 3 spells, possibly cast with higher level slots by multiclassing.

The strongest mage will be a sorcerer/wizard/bard who can cast fly many times per day or decimate a big chunk of army with a 9th level fireball
>>
>>63996499
Just keep the PCs at lower levels and have everybody very supersticious of magic and you'll be fine.
>>
>>63996473
It really depends entirely on how much damage.
+1 magical weapons are relatively common compared to other magical items, and they have +1 to damage and to hit.
>>
Could whoever thought a +7 damage weapon is the same tier as a +2 weapon please stand up
>>
>>63992991
Anyone any thoughts on this? I notice Counterspell isn't that talked about here.

>>63996443
This is really more a nerf to wizards in a top-heavy way as
>>63996689
Suggested.
Wizards are very strong, so maybe it's needed? Keep in mind, this comes at the expense of harming already weak alternative casters.
It also takes away what makes Warlock special (though it's relegated to a multiclass option forever, it'd seem).
>>
>>63996711
Sent your way anon
>>
File: 010.png (160 KB, 870x1200)
160 KB
160 KB PNG
>>63996841
You expected magic item tiers to be sensible, anon?
>>
File: 1541629173400.jpg (71 KB, 768x522)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
Trying to hammer out some houserules for my game and I'm curious: should I ban multiclassing or am I better off just banning warlock? Is barbarian / moon druid memery a common occurrence? How triggered will players get if I ban multiclassing altogether?
>>
If two half-elves breed will they make another half-elf, or something else?
>>
>>63996861
Clerics, Bards, Druids really aren't weak casters though. They also need to be toned down.
Sorcs get unjustifiably affected but I was already planning to give them a) half their sorc points back on short rest once per day b) an extra metamagic at 6th level c) one extra spell known at 2nd level and every 2 levels thereafter (bringing their total spells known up to 23 from 15).
>>
File: JeremyCrawfish.jpg (99 KB, 1280x720)
99 KB
99 KB JPG
>>63996634
>>63996697
But the real question is does pic related care about monk balance?
Centaur was 1d6 in UA. I just want to play a cleric without a weapon but still have 1d6 bludgeoning damage.
>inb4 playtest material
>>
>>63996913
We ban multiclassing.
No one is whining. We know the rules from the start.

There is no thematic bonus from multiclassing, only a numbers bonus. Numbers do not justify the existence of a feature that doesn't serve a thematic purpose.
>>
>>63996965
Follow-up question, would it be unrealistic to have an entire city founded and filled with half-elves born in this manner?
>>
>>63996499
yes, always fun playing a martial and finding creative solutions to problems that isnt just, ok i cast this spell
>>
>>63996913
Say multiclass must be approved
This gives you an out to say I don't want powergaming, but if it makes sense for you to start taking levels of wizard because you found a spellbook, ok.
>>
>>63996913
ban hexblade and agonizing blast and you won't need to worry about the rest of warlock
barbarian/ moon druid memery is only slightly more powerful than normal old moon druid which breaks the game in one go
you don't need to 'ban' multiclassing it's a variant rule
>>
>>63996965
half-elf
volo's guide in this is your life

You should say that half-elves don't exist in your world, nor do half-orcs. You can mechanically play one, but you're just another elf or orc. Interspecies breeding is a big can of worms.
>>
>>63996998
>no thematic reason to multiclass
you born that stupid or did you work for it?
>>
>>63996913
people are generally ok with multiclass approval, i.e your multi-classing must make sense for your character

your a ranger, you spent a fair bit of time in the city, you pick up some rogue skills as a result.
your fight a dragon, it breathed on you, it had an odd magical effect on your body, dip a level of dragon sorc.
>>
>>63997044
There is no character theme that isn't covered by base classes.
>>
>>63997042
I still think half-elves and half-orcs should have been human subraces. It's so weird that they're treated as their own thing, mechanically.
>>
>>63997024
>you don't need to 'ban' multiclassing it's a variant rule
Well feats are as well but when I said I wanted to ban Lucky, Great Weapon Master, and Sharpshooter I got like 50 posts full of asshurt about it. It's like players expect to be using teh variant rules and feel entitled to them.

But if that isn't the case, then perhaps I'll just go no feats, no multiclassing, and go from there. I know AL allows feats and multiclassing and it's munchkin central because of it.
>>
>>63996978
>Centaur was 1d6 in UA.
yeah and you also couldn't use them to make unarmed strikes.

ask your DM pretty please if you can bend the rules and have 1 extra damage every time your cleric makes an unarmed strike. it isn't going to break anything.
>>
File: Ribbon shrug.jpg (23 KB, 223x224)
23 KB
23 KB JPG
Why is Scrying a domain spell for Light clerics?
>>
>>63997042
I allow it but make them sterile.
>>
>>63997075
I ban Lucky.
I banned GWM, Sharpshooter and Spellsniper but granted all players the ability to deduct their proficiency bonus from their attacks and add it double to their damage if they hit.

It's like giving everyone a mini GWM/Sharpshooter, and it gives them a tactical choice even when they otherwise have none. They like it.
>>
>>63997088
Light lets you see, anon.
>>
>>63996978
>but i want more damage :(
>>
>>63997088
>metaphorically shining light on something you're trying to find
g eye wundr
>>
>>63997088
Divination magic is often illuminating.
>>
File: 1336748924536.gif (35 KB, 300x286)
35 KB
35 KB GIF
>>63997088
Why is Wall of Light a W*rlock spell but not a Cleric spell?
Why is Sunbeam a Sorcerer spell but not a Cleric spell?
Why is Sunburst a Wizard spell but not a Cleric spell?
>>
>>63997112
>I ban Lucky.
Just make it have 2 uses, or 1 use per short rest.
>>
File: (orosa1).gif (150 KB, 197x132)
150 KB
150 KB GIF
REEEEEE BUFF MARTIALS
>>
>>63997075
Lucky isn't overpowered if you run enough encounters and if you don't run it the retarded "disadvantage > super advantage" way

GWM and SS are in this weird special place where they're blatantly overpowered but usually taken by fighters who tend to be underpowered. particularly so if you only run 1-2 encounters per long rest (apparently most people do.) so with regards to those feats, i will say that they're definitely overpowered and I don't use them at my table (well, wouldn't. nobody actually asked to take them), I do understand that at some tables it acts as a crutch for an otherwise imbalanced party.
>>
>>63997163
Give everyone more options in combat
>>
>>63997153
they're arcane spells, for the sorc in particular
Sorcs need all the help they can get, and indeed they cast Sunbeam better than anyone because they can cast it with Quicken as a bonus action and immediately use an action to activate the beam again.

druids get the sun spells cause they're fucking druids, cant get more natural than the stars themselves
>>
>>63996978
The difference isn't that great honestly, I'd allow a d6.
>>
What Demon Lord is a good final boss for a party of 5 level 20s?
People were throwing ideas on Orcus around the other day, but on further thought, he's not really fitting since Power Word Kill every 2 rounds is a bit excessive, as is his ability to summon lichs and powerful undead. If you remove those he's rather easy all things considered.

>>63996969
That's true I suppose. If you compensate for sorcerer, then it's ok I guess. Be careful of making your rules too complicated, though.

>>63996913
>>63997075
>>63997024
I feel as though /5eg/ is biased against multiclassing, despite liking some of the more powerful feats. I think that's because, in general, there's aversion to powergaming here. Also, while feats are often thematic (sans lucky), multiclassing often isn't, unless the player works harder.

In particular, hexblade is considered a broken multiclass, since it gives so much to a paladin on 1 dip, and so much to other casters on 2 dips. Multiclassing can also have thematic problems.

One counter is that players, especially advanced ones, like multiclassing. They might have experience with every solo-class, or are more interested in the interactions in general. They might find single specs boring, especially if they know the level cap.

Overall it's the DM's call. I will say that Paladin/Hexblade is just flat out a better Paladin, but you lose out on very cool level 20 abilities. Sorcrer/Hexblade is also very nice, but worse than a Wizard/Cleric/Bard still, I think.
>>
>>63997153
why is Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting a Wizard spell but not a Warlock spell?
Same with Spectral Steed.
>>
File: (orohparry).gif (10 KB, 147x97)
10 KB
10 KB GIF
>>63997189
Yes, this
>>
>>63997156
I wouldn't mind Lucky if it was for the Player's rolls only.
I don't have a problem with the feat itself, only the effect it has on the game and making it extra difficult for the DM.

A player rolls, sees a shit roll and immediately declares Lucky to reroll it - that's fine.
A DM rolls behind the screen, his mind immediately begins to create a description of what happened so he can say it to the players, and then some dude declares Lucky and the DM's brain has to start over - that's not fine.

DMs are already having a hard time without bullying them with rerolls and having to rewrite history.
>>
File: Virgin.png (18 KB, 627x281)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
I've been playing a lot of dwarf fortress lately and I want to incorporate the weapon and armor quality mechanics into an upcoming game. Only a handful of dwarven metalworkers know how to alloy steel, so the gear the party will have access to at the first tier of play will be iron or bronze and function just like everything in the PHB. I was thinking steel variants of weapons would move up a dice class (a steel mace does 1d8 rather than 1d6) and steel armor and shields provide +1 AC. Steel gear will be difficult to find because of its rarity, and when it does show up it would be very expensive, I was thinking maybe ten or fifteen times the prices listed in the PHB. Any suggestions to refine the system further, or help balance it?
>>
How is shadow monk in gameplay? Anybody play one for at least five levels?
>>
>>63996364
A good villain needs a good villain song
>>
>>63997261
I had a Shadow monk teammate from level 3 to level 12

He was untouchable but he did not put out any damage.
If he wanted to stealth, he was invisible. Literally sometimes.
Best scout we've ever had.
>>
>>63997248
that player better have good reflexes because the roll needs to happen before the outcome is determined not after
>>
>>63997261
very effective stealthy assassins, access to the silence spell is no small feat, 90% of the spells in the game are vocal, this spell allows you to counter almost every spellcaster you may fight against

extremely mobile in darkness, even more so than standard monk
>>
File: 543.gif (1.99 MB, 400x400)
1.99 MB
1.99 MB GIF
>>63997285
Well, you're not wrong.
>>
>>63997248
The only rolls a player with Lucky can influence outside of their own are attack rolls aimed at them. Also, the luck point spent on the attack roll must be declared as spent before the attack roll is made.
>>
File: Screenshot_16.png (18 KB, 576x210)
18 KB
18 KB PNG
>>63996978
>>
>>63997290
And then you get into arguments like "I said Lucky before you started describing!" and "Yeah he said Lucky I totally heard him".

There is really no need to go through this slog, it's not even a cool feat. Just rolls and numbers, has no theme to it.
>>
>>63996965
Half-elves. If a half-elf breeds with a human or half-elf, the child will always be a half-elf. In this way the half-elf master race slowly overtakes and consumes the human population, except for a cluster of deviant humans who are only attracted to ugly people, and thus propagate an ugly race of humans as a perpetual underclass
>>
>>63997315
Is Jeremy Crawford the one married to a man or Mike Mearls?
>>
>>63997317
well if your players aren't your friends or something then I could see that happening but if so then you have deeper issues to address
>>
>>63996364
Is Advanced Dungeons & Dragons the only D&D edition that didn't have mass appeal to Soixterity focus builds?

5e is even worse than 3.5e in this regard. Dexterity is pretty much the most important stat in the entire game, even constitution can do with just 14-16 tops.
>>
>>63997338
Take a wild guess, based only on that picture you're replying to. Yes, Crawfish is the degenerate homo with a futa fetish.
Mearls is straight, pudgy, lonely man. Crawfish thinks he's a 'witch'.
>>
>>63997198
/5eg/ is biased against multiclassing because they've heard stories of shitty roll20randos cheesing the game when in fact most people who play 5e don't in fact power game or even optimize in a lot of situations. Otherwise, I agree with your post for the most part.

Then again, I don't really ban anything other than Mystic (and only because I don't understand it), but I do have multiclassing rules that amount to "you can't do it until 3rd level and you have to have at least 2 levels in your main class over the second one and can't crossclass between casters. Sorc requires talking to me, the GM to set it up since it's the result of extraordinary circumstances" because I think if you want to play a class you should start with that class and make it your main class instead of starting with say, fighter and going Wizard 19 and the caster thing is because again, I'm not familiar enough with the multiclassing rules for casters to allow it.
>>
>>63997314
I'm going to retcon the "the luck point spent on the attack roll must be declared as spent before the attack roll is made." part of what I said since I fucked up. The luck point has to be declared as spent after the attack roll is made, but before the outcome is known.
>>
>>63997352
>>63997317
I do however agree that it isn't a very interesting feat
>>63997112
>free SS
wew lad
>>
>>63997189
>>>/4e/
>>
>>63997443
This is what bugs me with Lucky.
You can control your own pace, you roll a dice, and either say the total number out loud or just say lucky. There is some time to think, other people aren't going to declare your total for you because they probably don't remember your bonus on attacks, saving throws etc. There is a leisure of time to make a decision.
But when you can affect other people's rolls, suddenly there is a competition for who can speak first: the guy yelling Lucky, or the DM declaring his total. It's a shit design.
>>
>>63997489
Give everyone more 4e in combat
>>
Is there any reason to not make a Strength-based two weapon fighter?
>>
>>63997305
>>63997287
So stealth and anti-caster play with some serious mobility. Kinda what I expected, but I like the confirmation

Are the damage problems any worse than monk in general, in your experience?
>>
>>63997525
Brute is UA. Otherwise, knock yourself out, it's pretty fun to bash people with two warhammers. And if you get two dwarven throwers, wo-hoo.
>>
>>63997477
It's like +4 or +6 damage in exchange for -2 or -3 to hit at levels 1-8 (the majority of campaigns).

Sure, it's "free" SS/GWM but they don't get the other bonuses like ignoring cover, and the numbers are not obscene like +10.

They also always have a simple choice to make on every attack. It's works well.
>>
>>63997525
The second weapon kinda doesn’t matter since you attack eighty billion times with the main one.
Plus more attacks naturally raises the value of having a really thick heavy weapon.
Try a 2d6er instead, imo. You’ll get way better results.
>>
File: Yotsuba35.png (101 KB, 392x275)
101 KB
101 KB PNG
>>63996913
>>63997198
You don't need to ban anything if you actually play with people you trust and are friends with.
>>
>>63997587
Given the opinions in 5eg, I would assume most people here play online.
>>
>>63997525
There's every reason not to make one.

If you want a strength-based two weapon user, play barbarogue.
>>
>>63997587
this. or rather, all the banning / houseruling / homebrewing I do is just to make players more able to pick something that appeals to them without worrying about mechanics.

for instance I had a friend that wanted to play moon druid but I asked him to reconsider since it's overpowered and the other players weren't going to be running particularly mechanically powerful characters. but in the meantime I've been working on a rebalance to moon druid so that he can actually play it if he wants. i hope that makes sense.
>>
File: Female steeder.png (171 KB, 560x592)
171 KB
171 KB PNG
>tfw got my wildshape
It's time.
>>
>>63997701
Aw, spiders are cute.
>>
File: 1539977377245.jpg (399 KB, 1777x1754)
399 KB
399 KB JPG
>>63997701
>Expends all its movement to jump
>Have to use your movement to cover jump distance
>Jump 0ft
>>
File: kuo toa.jpg (47 KB, 529x277)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
So you arrive at
*checks notes*
*checks notes again*
what
>>
>>63997874
I had to gurgle and gargle through this entire session, make sure you have a glass of water handy
>>
Is this the ultimate L20 Martial build?

>Fargoth from Morrowind
Race:
>Wood Elf
L1 Ability Scores:
>8/15+2/15/8/15+1/8
Class:
>L15 Arcane Trickster/L5 Eldritch Knight
That gives you 4/3/3/1 Spell Slots, 2 actions once per short rest, 8d6 Sneak Attack, Extra Attack (2 attacks with guaranteed Advantage every turn), Wisdom Saving Throws, Blind Sense, Reliable Talent, Evasion, Expertise in Stealth+Perception+Acrobatics/Athletics+1, Uncanny Dodge and Cumming Action for when you need to hightail it out of there, the Defense or Dueling fighting style, and finally 5 additional Ability Score improvements.

ASI's:
>Elven Accuracy (+1 Dexterity)
>Resilient (+1 Constitution)
>+2 Dexterity
>Warcaster
>anything you want, Lucky/Alert/Mobile,... hell even Shield Master at this point

Name a flaw. This guy basically wins every ability check he's good at and he can
>>
>>63997874
Yeah, you should probably change the names, unless you're feeling really gassy.
>>
>>63997058
>Mystic Theurge
>Fochlucan Lyrist
>literally any theurgical theme build
>dipping Barbarian in a melee caster for an angry sorcerer
>enraged bull druid/barbarian
>Cleric of War + Barbarian for Cleric of Wrath
>Warlock taking Paladin levels to represent an Archfey Patron becoming powerful enough to grant you divine power in exchange for a sacred oath of the ancients

I ask again, were you born this stupid?
>>
>>63998002
There is literally a Divine Soul sorc.
>>
>>63997701
equally skilled at sneaking as the Rogue
possibly better

moon Druid strikes again
>>
File: 1416699142392.jpg (17 KB, 640x368)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>63997936
>ultimate martial
>takes literally as many spell slots and different magical features as possible

*laughs in Crawford*
>>
Has anything changed in 2018? Or is the Tier List still:

>S tier
Bards
>A+ tier
Wizards
>A tier
Paladins, Clerics, Moon Druids
>A- tier
Sorcerers, Eldritch Knights
>B tier
Druids, Fighters
>C tier
Hexblades, Arcane Jews
>D tier
Warlocks, Rogues
>E tier
Rangers, Barbarians
>F tier
Monks
>>
Assuming somebody is bound to a tree with rope, what would the appropriate strength DC to break free of those ropes?
>>
>>63998139
this is the "1 combat per Long Rest" and "assume CBE SS where applicable" tier list, yes
>>
>>63998147
What material is the rope?
How competent was the person tying the knots?
>>
Would it be a stupid idea to take Sorcerer Divine Soul levels as a paladin to get more support options since we lost our druid? She just quit. It's not as optimal than other subclasses, right?
>>
>>63997936
>guaranteed advantage
?
>cumming action
>>
>>63998175
Just hempen rope from the PHB, the person tying the knots would be of average competence.
>>
>>63998147
Breaking manacles is a DC20 Str.
Slipping out of manacles is a DC20 Dex.
Breaking rope is a DC17 Str.
Those are in the PHB.

In Out of the Abyss, they establish that breaking an iron collar is also a DC20 Str, and unlocking manacles with thieves' tools is a DC15 Dex
>>
>>63998230
Both hempen and silk rope have a DC17 Str to break as per PHB
>>
>>63998242
>>63998238
I forgot to add, you can only attempt to break free once per long rest.
You can't just keep trying.

This is as per general PHB rules for skill checks, but also confirmed in Out of the Abyss.
>>
File: 1545992962984.jpg (464 KB, 1268x720)
464 KB
464 KB JPG
>>63998147
>Rope, whether made of hemp or silk, has 2 Hit Points and can be burst with a DC 17 Strength check.
>>
>>63998279
>>63998242
>>63998238
Thanks, I couldn't remember if that was specifically mentioned in there and didn't have the book in front of me.
>>
>>63998224
1st attack has advantage from your owl, 2nd attack has advantage from your bonus action
>>
I want the idea of yuan-ti to be that they are very adaptable and so if featured in a desert they can then create new ones of their own that are resistant to heat and require little water and that sort of thing.
What could be a mechanical trait that they have which could reflect this?
>>
>>63998332
That owl being alive after the first round of combat is in no way guaranteed.
>2nd attack has advantage from your bonus action
???
Also how would you have two fighting styles?
>>
>>63998378
>how would you have two fighting styles?
>or
>>
>>63997936
You don't have any level 4 spell slots, fag. Learn to caster.
>>
>>63997163
What game is this from?
>>
>>63998458
Street Fighter 3. His name is Oro.
>>
>>63998410
He does have level 4 slots, he just doesn't have any level 4 spells.
>>
>>63998410
No you stupid piece of shit cunt.

one third of Rogue level = 5
one third of Fighter level = 1.67

together 6.67 = caster level 7 = 4/3/3/1

I spit on your grave
>spits
>>
>>63998523
>>63998517
>Rounding up
Read the rules, fag
>>
>>63998517
>>63998523
Nope. RAW your spell slots only go up every third level of fighter, no decimals about it.
You get 4/3/3 and that's it.
>>
File: 1460156259850.gif (563 KB, 178x157)
563 KB
563 KB GIF
How does one become an evil king with an army of lesser creatures, such as goblins?
>>
>>63998544
>>63998551
you sutpid cunt, you stupid cunt oyu stupid cunt aaa
THEN why fighter 20 get 4/3/3/1 when 20/3 is 6 round down? bliyat suka PIDARAS
>>
>>63998577
Because multiclassing is for shitters.
>>
>>63998577
Because you're a multiclassing min-maxing fag.
>>
File: 1547006579610.jpg (65 KB, 600x686)
65 KB
65 KB JPG
>sperging in undercommon
>>
>>63998570
Become an evil king of lesser creatures such as goblins.
>>
>>63998601
i will uyebani your mazer
>>
File: deer.png (47 KB, 1149x408)
47 KB
47 KB PNG
Would you accept him into your game /5eg/?
>>
Really though since you have no 4th level spells the loss of that one slot isn't huge.
>>
>>63998642
Upcasting is a thing.
>>
>>63998627
No.
>>
File: monster-8.png (111 KB, 272x325)
111 KB
111 KB PNG
>>63998570
1. Be a powerful monster or a very powerful and very handsome man
2. Subjugate lesser creatures until you have enough to make an army
3. Band them together into an army, offering them spoils if they win, and brutal punishment if they lose
4. Conquer a kingdom with your army
Congratulations, you are now an evil king with an army of lesser creatures.
>>
>>63998139
Bard spell list is garbage compared to wizard. Magical secrets doesn't make up for it
>>
>>63996364
Livepost anon. Arrived half an hour early to one of the 11 Barnes & Noble D&D Game Night events. I’m meeting up with a few friends. Casing the store, gaming books visible from where I parked on an Endcap facing a window. Usually that kind of stuff at others in the chain is endcapped on a center aisle.

Manager might not think highly of tabletop brands. Concerned they’ll have phoned preparations for tonight in.
>>
File: Timothy.png (79 KB, 1269x417)
79 KB
79 KB PNG
>>63998627
I see your Voynard and I raise my Timothy.
>>
>>63998224
Cumming action is for the wenches anon
>>
File: 1308235252438.jpg (53 KB, 476x356)
53 KB
53 KB JPG
>>63998825
Timothy is better than our Sir Bryan the honorable lawful good fighter who executed a captured bandit in cold blood on the first session
>>
File: 636252766618069332.jpg (451 KB, 918x1000)
451 KB
451 KB JPG
behold the Chain Devil, the highest CR creature that can be downed by a single level 1 adventurer in a single turn

at CR 11 he has a whopping 85 HP and resistance to silvered weapons
>>
>>63998825
who the fuck has a last name starting with I?
>>
>>63998786
Let us know when they start doing things, anon.
>>
>>63998786
Good luck!
>>
>>63998878
Stuff based on French names.
>>
>>63998869
>delivering swift justice to murderer/rapist bandits
>not lawful good
>>
File: feelsmonkman.jpg (342 KB, 681x1024)
342 KB
342 KB JPG
>level 20 monks get a single extra ki point and a feature that might help them if they run 3 combats (read: combats, not all encounters) between short rests
literally better to take a single level in any other class than monk 20. feelsmonkman
>>
>>63998889
>>63998888
Single table for play set up with a display table in the cafe for the PHB, Starter Set, Art & Arcana, and GGtR.
>>
>>63998869
even fascists can be lg
>>
>>63998873
How do you do that much damage at level 1?
>>
>>63998458
LETS GET IT ON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcrpsKq8q64&list=PL7BBA15DB126C716A
>>
>>63997254
Maybe instead of doing 1d8 they do 2d4
>>
>>63998935
fascists are always LE
>>
>>63998869
>Getting upset over a knight executing a bandit
Putting aside the fact that LG executing evil opponents is a thing going all the way back to the days of Gygax, what exactly do you think comes of banditry? Either one of his buddies knifes him for an extra share of loot, he dies when one of the dudes he tries to rob gets a hit in, or he gets captured, dragged to town, and hanged shortly afterwards.
>>
>>63998953
well you need to high roll.

>buy silvered greataxe with starting gold (starting budget of 5d4 * 10 usually rolls 125, a silvered greataxe costs 130 so good luck with that)
>half-orc war cleric 16 STR
>cast Divine Favor on self before fight
>deal 1d12+1d4+ 3 on hit
>crit for 3d12+2d4 + 3
>high roll for 36 + 8 + 3 = 47 damage
>bonus action attack again
>94 total damage

I didn't say it was plausible but it is technically possible without magic items. also you need to pass a DC14 WIS saving throw just to not be frightened in order to walk up and attack him in the first place but we're assuming dice roll god here
>>
>>63998931
The Employee in charge of the event is setting up. Brought out some boxes and a folder of sheets. Box had a flap open, while chatting with them about start time and the like caught a glimpse within, saw a pattern of a book cover within reminescent of the kind of spirally textured cover of the 3.5 ECS. I’m probably overthinking it though. Standby.

-Live Post Anon.
>>
>>63999059
>bonus action attack again

Wait, what?
>>
>>63999108
>war cleric
>>
>>63999129
So basically, you need to roll crits twice in a row and get at least average damage on all of the damage dice.
>>
>>63997254
But what about the greataxe?
>>
>>63997641
>Given the opinions in 5eg, I would assume most people here don't play at all
FTFY
>>
>>63998084
Giant spider has the same stealth bonus tho
>>
To anyone who thinks 5e combat isn't deadly enough, include Rot Worms into your encounters. The odds of players considering applying fire damage is low to none unless they're metagamers. They'll be in for a nasty surprise if they hit 0 hp.
>>
>>63999172
I'm not the guy you initially replied. His situation is very unlikely but hes right about chain devil being weak for its CR.
>>
First level pregens for all, and the pattern I saw was just a half covered portion of the dragon’s neck from the dmscreen reincarnated. First box is just full of starter sets.

Uncertain if someone from the store is running tables or if they’re drawing volunteers from the attending. Looks like we’re running LMoP.
>>
>>63999276
What did he mean by this?
>>
Is my math wrong here, or does upcasting Fireball at 7th do more damage on average than casting Firestorm?
>>
>>63999334
Area effect attacks don't really gain much damage after level 3 spells.
>>
Well, attendee volunteers and i jumped. Got a bit of swag for it. Fresh bag and dice. Second box contents remain a mystery. Other attendees mostly dads and their kids.

Gonna get rollin’ see you guys in a few hours.

-live post anon
>>
>>63999334
Slightly more, yes. This is presumably balanced by Fire Storm allowing you to "build" the area of effect, but really, Fireball is pretty silly. The devs themselves admitted to intentionally making it overpowered.
>>
>>63999084
>>63999276
>>63999413
Thanks. Have fun, and good rolls.
>>
Why does padded armor give disadvantage to stealth checks?
>>
How do you guys deal with players leaving an ongoing campaign?

I'm DMing a campaign for a group of 4-5 but one player will have to be off for business for a couple months but really wants to play before and after, is there any smart way to pull them into the game and reintroduce them once they return?
>>
>>63996364
What do you guy use to play online?
>>
>>64000156
roll20 & fantasy grounds with a voip
>>
File: 1346102793125.jpg (22 KB, 279x407)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>Old group disbands as people move away
>Join new group DM advertises as "roleplay heavy"
>Already some red flags when we talk character backgrounds but whatever
>Show up to the table
>Entire group are old-time friends, like, really deep history stuff from kindergarten
>I'm completely ignored like I'm not even there and feel nobody but the DM even wants me / cares if I play
>Constant in-group jokes
>Nobody talks to me, I ask someone a question and they don't reply
>NOBODY FUCKING MAKES EYE CONTACT WITH ME what the fuck these are adults and they are NOT autistic holy shit
>even the DM kind of forgets me and is just steamrolling through the game with his chums
>The worst part is they barely roleplay anything
>Characters are piles of numbers and dice rolls and in-game conversations / NPC interactions are like once every 2 hours
>Most of the time feel like they're just going through the motions on auto-pilot just to be playing something and don't actually care about the game

Now I know what being a DMPC feels like. I could have given him my char sheet and dice and go home and I doubt there'd be a difference.
Should I give this another chance or just cut my losses?
>>
>>63997701
You better be playing a Drow Druid, because otherwise there's noooo fucking way you've seen that THING on the surface.
Also wasn't there something about them being reclassified as monstrosities, not beasts?

>>63998365
Why do you need a mechanical trait for that? You're the DM. I guess if you had to you could write up something like
>Adaptable. Yuan-ti spawned in an inhospitable environment become acclimated and naturally adapted to it.
>>
>>64000156
Google Sheets for cheap shitty maps, hamete dice log, and a voip.
>>
>>63997366
>Mearls is straight, pudgy, lonely man
2 of those are accurate, but iirc he is actually married.
>>
>>64000156
Roll20, but don't ever play with people FROM roll20, use the platform and play with people you know and trust.
>>
>>63999973
'balance'
It gives the same AC as leather armour for half the price. It's meaningless and stupid. Nothing would break if you removed the disadvantage, since it makes no sense it gives disadvantage anyway.
>>
>>64000303
>don't ever play with people FROM roll20
I'm afraid to ask but why?
>>
>>64000261
erp with them
>>
>>64000332

Not him, but playing with randos from anywhere often leads to a bad time because people have different expectations of 5e. Roll20 just has a bad rap because you can filter through more people faster online. It's no different than jumping into an AL table at the FLGS.
>>
>>64000345
That does not sound helpful.
>>
File: GoodShitNigga.jpg (71 KB, 1024x749)
71 KB
71 KB JPG
>>63997587
>tfw table/friends are mostly casual players
>can play shit like non-hexblade bladelock and strength monks and still be about as competent as the rest of the party
>>
>>64000265
I just figured it would be more tangible if their lore is expressed in combat instead of just being something they hear about.
>>
>>64000261
>have an absolutely awful experience
>"should I go back"
>>
>>64000332
The ratio of retards who are out to make your game a living hell to sensible players is heavily, HEAVILY skewed in the direction of the former. You're going to get people asking for broken homebrew, metagamers, "That guy"s, powergamers, and edgy bois.
>>
>>64000448
My train of thought at first was, "well maybe they're not used to having someone new, they've been playing alone so long it takes time to get used to the idea and accept me". But now I'm not too sure, it was 2 days ago and I still think about how frustrated and pointless I felt.
>>
>>63998924
what do you lvl20-faggots even fight at that level? Are these people real?
>>
It's a rough working model ATM, we're only two sessions into the starter set (with this group) so I haven't seen how it fully scales up, but that'll be easy enough to deal with when the time comes.

Covert 4e monsters to 5e:
- Bonuses to hit are cut straight in half across the board round up. (This puts Demogorgon from a +39 to hit to a +19 to hit which is in line with 5E Orcus). And say a Barghest (level 4 Brute +7 vs. AC to +4 to hit vs. AC)

- -3 ACs for Heroic Tier, - 5 for Paragon, -7 for Epic. Remove 1/2 level from AC and Ability score mods for all levels. So Demogorgon's AC goes from 48 to: 48 - 7 = 41 - 17 = 24 which is pretty spot on for a top CR monster. 4E demogorgon is CR 33 after all.

- Add 1/2 the monster's level to their damage for the round (minimum 1) This helps boost 4E monsters like dragons who have big AOE attacks that don't mirror the damage expressions of 5E's big blasts. This could also be because I'm working from Monster Manual 1 & 2 as primary sources. Rather than MM 3's improved damage expressions. So if you're using the new monsters you may not need to change the damage.

- Use Bloodied Value for HP for monsters levels 1-3. The HP in 5e does level out with 4e's standards so you won't need to tweak HP too much, but at level 1 a 34 hp goblin is going to shock the hell out of people. Elites and Solos, up to you if you change the HP. I personally wouldn't because it makes those fights memorable in how tough they are (I upgraded all my Demons and Devils to Elites or Solos for example).

- Convert the usual +1/2 level to skills to 1/3 level round down, Minimum 2. This is your Prof bonus now. So a level 30 monster has a +10 prof bonus, and a level 10 has a +3. Rounding up keeps them on par up until about level 20, where they get a +7 rather than the PCs +6, so pick your poison. I round down for simplicity, a +1 difference isn't a big deal anyway.
>>
>>64000519

- All save ends powers gain DC 8+prof+mod save based on effect (use your judgement on which ability score makes sense for the save) Remember that you scaled down their ability modifiers earlier!

- Solos gain Legendary Actions, one of which is to recharge an ability. They gain legendary resistances as well.

- Add Innate Spellcasting to taste as needed.

- Saving Throws: give proficiency in 1 save if its a soldier, 2 saves if its an elite, and in 3 if its a Solo.

- Use the same exp values for rewards and encounter budgeting as defined in 4e. I'm pretty sure this works out, but I'm not sure. I've been leveling the PCs as its naratively appropriate for years now so I'm disconnected with how exp all pans out comparatively.

What this does is it edits out the 4e math scaling to bring them in line (roughly) with what 5E monsters have while still keeping all of the fun powers and tactical problems 4E monster design added to the game. That should give you all the tools you need to take any 4e dude and make them work in 5E. I do this mainly so I can keep living the glory days while my PCs get to keep using their new shiny. Everybody wins.
>>
>>64000300
Not to the woman he wants to be married to though.
We all know Mearls writes erotic fanfiction about himself and the Raven Queen

>>64000513
A Drow inquisitor and a Drow Matron mother is a hard encounter for 5 level 20 players.
You could also fight Tiamat.
>>
File: The Eternal Question.jpg (83 KB, 1280x720)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>64000490
Have you tried talking to them like a reasonable, emotionally stable adult about your concerns?
>>
>>64000591
Well, if they really don't want me there or care if I play with them then I won't force them to act differently, I'd rather not play than waste hours sitting with a group of people who have to pretend they give a shit about me.
>>
>>63998081
that's not a mystic theurge, or anything he said
>>
>>63999334
7th level fireball deals 12d6 (avg 42) over a 20ft radius sphere.
Fire Storm deal 7d10 (avg 38) over ten 10ft cubes, which is a whole lot bigger and will always hit more enemies.

Fireball is a spell generally available to blasting arcane classes (Sorcerer and Wizard). It's powerful and destructive. Fire Storm on the other hand is something that generally only a Cleric or Druid would learn. It's more controlled and precise: "If you choose, plant life in the area is unaffected by this spell."

Plus, if you're casting a fireball at 7th level you might as well cast Delayed Blast Fireball.
>>
>>64000667
Yeah but like
talk to them first? If they're unwilling to integrate you after that, then yeah, fuck em
but don't just go spinning your wheels on your own without at least telling the DM your concerns
>>
>>64000667
>instead of talking to people about my issues I will simply avoid starting a dialogue because I've already determined their actions for them
You only have to have an 18 year old body to be here, but if you're going to act like a middle schooler maybe you should check out disney.com?
>>
>>63998779
>getting strong smite spells earlier than Paladin on a gish class isn't good
wut
>>
>>64000046
Sure. I've had to do it before. One of my players had to leave because her new schedule wouldn't allow her to be free when we used to play, so we just came up with whatever reason to justify her staying behind. The character did her own stuff for a while. When we changed our game day to one that worked for her, we figured out a way to have her meet the party once again.
>>
>>64000698
Not trying to be a contrarian or keep myself displeased, anon, but what do you expect the DM to do in this situation? Ask his friends to pretend to want me at the table? Ask them not to tell their in-group jokes or force them to talk to me? Make my character the focus of attention and let me roleplay when his friends just want to get the current quest done and more on?
>>64000714
I'm likely older than you. I experienced an extremely uniform negative reaction to my presence at a table of 4 other adults and my instinct tells me this is unlikely to be a one-time thing. Or were you there at the table to say otherwise?
>>
>>63999172
don't be that guy he even said it was possible and not plausible
>>
Do you all fudge rolls when DMing?
>>
>>64000775
Different anon here, but hey, you're the one that came looking for advice. All we're telling you is that you don't really know what went through their minds. Maybe they're just really awkward people who get uncomfortable around others they don't know. Maybe they did it without even realizing. But maybe they really are jackasses.

If you talk to them about your concerns, then you at least can understand what is the reason. And then you can leave or try again.
>>
>>64000835
Sometimes, but not often and only in favor of the players and only when we're down a player at the last minute (i.e. someone has work last second) and I've already prepped the encounter for the full group and it's basically super-deadly for the current number.
>>
>>64000835
only when it'd be cool
>>
>>64000835
Sometimes, when fudging the roll would lead to a better narrative outcome.
>>
>>64000867
Similar here. I only fudge to adjust for my own mistakes or things like that.
>>
>>64000859
Yeah, I can see the logic here. I'll probably talk to the GM soon to clear this up. Just writing that down made me more angry than I was leaving the session that night.
>>
File: Roll Dem Bones.jpg (19 KB, 640x344)
19 KB
19 KB JPG
>>64000835

Nope. Sometimes the party wipes the floor with my encounters, sometimes the encounter wipes the floor with the party. Dice are dice.
>>
>>63999047
>>63998922
Even though you could be Good and still kill the bad guys, I'd say "in cold blood" can be a bit of a red flag.

>>64000422
To make adaptability relevant in combat, it'd need to be crazy good. Maybe give them Absorb Elements 1/day (or at will if you're willing to bump their CR).
>>
>>63998192
>would a sorcadin be good
It's always good.
>>
>>64000667
Man, you know that greentext you posted here, just tell them the exact same stuff on Facebook or something. If they don't want you at the table, at least they'll make it clear.

>>64000519
>>64000540
Very useful, saved. Thanks anon.

>>64000835
Never, I always roll in the open, and I don't roll dice if I know I'm not going to like one of the outcomes.
>>
>>63996655
Advice pls.
>>
>>64000993
>administering justice dispassionately is somehow more evil than doing so while pissed
>>
File: lQGT6xM.png (58 KB, 1229x1160)
58 KB
58 KB PNG
>>64000835
I roll in the open and thus have never fudged a roll.

however I confess that I have occasionally fudged a DC.
>>
I have a player that I'm going to have coming in as a level 6 Forge Cleric in the town of Vallakis.
Instead of starting equipment typical for a 6th level of a medium fantasy campaign I'm going to let him have and design a smithy/house

What kind of awesome stuff that isn't too crazy should I allow here?

>A permanent copper circle to cast Magic Circle on
>A pet flame mephit that lives in the forge
>Continual Flame Sconces
>Small iron statuettes of his dead friends

Things that could be reasonably achieved in his power level and sufficient time
>>
>>63996427
Tbh this has become the new cliche

Bring back bloodthirsty, violent, irredeemable psychopaths
>>
File: Sundowner.jpg (17 KB, 474x504)
17 KB
17 KB JPG
>>64001332
Best villains are over the top warlords who love what they do
GIVE WAR A CHANCE, JACK!
>>
File: 1546927124254.gif (510 KB, 346x367)
510 KB
510 KB GIF
>>64001332
or mustache twirling cackling selfish egotists!
or villains whose motives are alien and incomprehensible to the protagonists while still seeking coherent!
or stoic and superhuman villains who are not driven by any desire to do evil but who simply cannot spare the time, effort, or empathy to go out of their way to avoid destroying everything the protagonists hold dear!

the big secret is that how cliché something is has usually got very little to do with how interesting or enjoyable it is.
>>
>>64001203
That sounds alright. Do the PCs have allies in this battle? Because if there is a contingent of guards already fighting the enemy monsters, you can explain it as
>the guards can't do shit to the monsters
>except hold them back until the party arrives
>even then, with heavy losses
>>
>>63996427
No. With a good villain, you dig deeper and find that they might be right.
>>
>>64000835
>>64001283
Honestly the thing I fudge the most is enemy HP. Sometimes I realize I've given a villain way too few to survive even 1 round with the party and give them more mid-combat. Sometimes a player is just 3 damage points shy of killing a monster and I say it dies anyway.
>>
>>63999059
>naked half orc war cleric who exists only to kill a devil in less than 6 seconds

the thought made me smile.
>>
>>63998873
But... Chain Devil is CR 8
>>
>>64001236
I dunno, it could be a simple dispassionate "eh, that's just the way things are" but to me it reeks of emotionless murder machine edge.

>>64001332
Or the villains who aren't psychopaths, but also aren't the usual "idealists with a seemingly good motive for which no sacrifice is too great" types. Like yeah, he's not a complete monster, he's just self-centered.
>>
>>64001465
They're alone in this. Voidsent are coming out of a haunted mansion that the players have a quest to clear out.
>>
>be dm
>have adventure planned
>5th level party
>3/5 say they can't come
>ask everyone if they want to continue main campaign or not, they do
>ranger finds the sewers and begins hunting kobolds for xp, alone.
>almost dies due to traps and many many kobolds
>lives
>escapes
>bard feigns injury at a commoner's house
>mom, dad, kid. Dad lets bard rest on couch.
>bard persuades dad to let him stay the night
>bard waits until everyone is asleep
>silence on the tiny house
>hides in kid's closet, tasha's laughter on the girl while dropping silence
>parents come rushing in
>dad runs to get neighbor
>mom carries kid outside
>dad knocks on neighbor door, bard sneaks out and casts enemies abound on dad
>neighbor answers, dad punches nieghbor, neighbor is a wizard and instinctively firebolts in response, dad dies
>mom sees this and screams
>guards arrive on the scene after hearing the commotion
>bard casts enemies about on mom
>kid runs, guards subdue mom and kid
>bard casts invisibility on himself, sneaks back into his inn room
>bard and ranger sneak into a mansion
>kill the wizard that lives there in silence

Ohboi. They were too sneaky about it. The guards are asking around but the bard was able to deceive guards. I can't fudge the insight check when the bard has +4 stealth, invisibility and gets a 22 on deception. I have to come up with a way to explain what happened concisely to the rest of the party next time. They will almost certainly be leaving this town and not coming back.
>>
>>63996575
Casting requires immense amounts of physical exertion. Each time you cast roll a con save. A failed save increases your exhaustion by 1.
>>
>>64001503
Just think, less than 5% of the time you instantly kill him and jump straight to level 5. In every other timeline you die horribly.
>>
File: Oni.png (234 KB, 509x386)
234 KB
234 KB PNG
What class is best at crit fishing (ie. getting more crits, getting better crits, etc.?
>>
>>64001642
>3 Champion Fighter/17 Zeal Barbarian
Get Lucky and Elven Accuracy. With this type of build your Brutal Critical Hits will have 3 extra dice alongside having a 19 for Critical Hit range.
>>
>>64001642
>>64001683
If your going for accuracy for Critical Hits a Half-Elf or Elf with Elven Accuracy can theoretically have the best chances due to their advantages being a lot better than others. If you want more damage, Half-Orcs have Savage Attacks which improves critical hit damage by one dice.
>>
>>64001617
So they're trying to cross the bridge to get to the haunted mansion? Then it's simple, the monsters come out in waves. Every time the party moves a certain number of feet forward through the bridge, another encounter charges out to fight them.

Of course, this means that the PCs could trigger several encounters all at once, or take their time, short rest, etc. You could justify this by adding some form of "capture the flag" situation for each encounter, like a glyph that they have to destroy or desecrated ground that they have to purify with holy water.
>>
>>64001731
That last part is excellent advice for this. There can be arcane wards set up around the mansion that the owner had set up in defense. The players could remove them, which would mean that the creatures are now open to attack. Thanks anon. :)
>>
>>64001639
A quarter percent of the time.
>>
>>64001807
It'd be way less than that but I did not have the time or patience to calculate it exactly.
>>
>Magic Jar is limited to possessing humanoids in 5e
But why?
>>
>>64001763
Glad to be of help, anon.
>>
>>64001503
>smiling on the thought of a naked half orc
>animeposter
not suprised tbhdesufam
>>
File: 3khrnri.jpg (87 KB, 610x357)
87 KB
87 KB JPG
why are the homebrew feats on dndbeyond so shit??

where do I find good homebrew feats for my players
>>
>>64001839
Because wizards are jerks, anon.
>>
>>64001890
You don't. Feats are never the right choice to pick.
>>
>>64001550
so it is. the database I was looking at has misled me once again.
>>
>>64001588
>I dunno, it could be a simple dispassionate "eh, that's just the way things are" but to me it reeks of emotionless murder machine edge.
see first scene of GoT

Ned Stark is 1000000000% LG
>>
>>64001904
By the time you can cast 6th level spells how often are you going to be running into humanoids with a good enough stat block to justify possessing them?
>>
>>64001969
I reiterate: wizards are jerks, anon.
>>
What are some interesting traps or puzzles you've guys used in the past? I feel like I've exhausted all of the interesting options
>>
File: 1493236029704.png (889 KB, 756x715)
889 KB
889 KB PNG
>>64001930
???
>>
>>64001836
That was just to hit both crits. With the maximized damage dice it would be 1/305 764 761 600th. But you are overkilling by 9 damage, so it's more often than that.
>>
>>64002020
If you are picking feats you are always playing sub optimally. I know this is hard to understand as an animeposter.
>>
someone pls edit this to have PHB
>>
>>64001642
Half-orc champion3/barbarianX is the standard, make sure to get advantage as often as you can and take GWM feat.

Critfishing isn't really any good in 5e though.
>>
>>64001890
google Wardrow's feat compendium
has some interesting options
>>
>>64001957
Ned Stark didn't execute the guy in cold blood. There was no cruelty in the execution.
>>
>>64002113
fucking hell it isn't even transparent.

brb killing self
>>
>>64002113
>>64002127
>jpg
Lol transparency. Magenta's a better attempt.
>>
>>64002122
you may want to look up the definition of 'in cold blood'
>>
>>64002155
>2. without emotion or feeling; dispassionate; cruel:
>cruel
Yes? Do you know it?
>>
>>64002181
the third sense of the second definition doesn't override the other ones
learn how a dictionary works you moron
>>
>>64002116
Elven Accuracy with Reckless Attack + Champion Fighter's improved Critical might be the best option for Critfishing.
>>
I want to make a tough guy halfling who specializes in climbing other creatures to beat them down.

Issue, not sure about class. I want them to be fairly tough, but it seems like I'd really want expertise in athletics.
>>
>>64001642
>>64002116
>>64002191
editor's note: critfishing sucks
>>
>>64002191
I mean, you're using a feat and taking a non-strength race and not being able to use weapons that actually synergize with critical hits in order to get maybe 45% extra chance of crit over your chances before, not to mention also not having the extra crit dice.
>>
>>63998139

BASED and REDPILLED
>>
File: risas.png (1.36 MB, 800x800)
1.36 MB
1.36 MB PNG
>he doesn't buy barding for his moon druid
>>
>>64002229
Your right I forgot Elven Accuracy did not work on Strength stuff. Orc is probably better for it then.
>>
Final Report from Live Post Anon, regarding the B&N D&D Night Limited Event.

The materials were just some starter sets. Turn out was a bunch of nerds, 17 all told to this event. Three gamer dads showed up with their kids. Two hung back to shoot the shit about old times and one played. One of the kids had previously read LMoP. So I chucked it over my shoulder and ran an adventure about a ship running aground on a Zaratan with a long abandoned Dwarven fortification on its back invaded by Sea Devils.

Fun was had. Swag was raffled. Got a lot of sheets of stickers, dice, dicebag, posters for Art & Arcana, and a mystery poster in a cardboard tube I’ll open later. Extras of those dice & posters were raffled among the players. Repeats to the DM’s were offered to the kids.

No news. No hints for 2019. But good fun and a couple of friends also showed up.

End report.
>>
>>64002206
the ol' 1 in rogue rest in barb seems to apply here.
>>
Is Open Hand Monk the best option for fighting dragons?
>stillness of mind for fear
>evasion for fire, lightning and acid breaths
>purity of body for poison breath
>open hand technique to knock them off the sky
>diamond soul for absurd saves
You're only really vulnerable to cold breath, but even then Boots of the Winterlands is only Uncommon
>>
>>64002385
Don't dragons have hover so you can't prone them out of the sky? Or maybe they don't, I don't know, I just know far too many enemies have it.

Monk is too melee-orientated, though, so open hand monk doesn't really fare well unless a teammate casts fly on you or something.

Having a paladin on the team to negate fear + give better saves against breath helps, but paladins aren't good at range either.
>>
>>64002307
do you armor up your druid after he shapeshifts?
how many sets of barding does your whole group carry for the druid?
How long does it take to armor up his beastform?
Did you buy special barding that shifts and warps itself to fit both the humanform and his shapeshifted form?
>>
>>64002190
It's called context, anon. It was pretty clear the paladin came across as cruel to the anon who brought it up.
>>
File: I Z U N A D R O P.gif (956 KB, 455x262)
956 KB
956 KB GIF
>>64002385
>Grapple the dragon
>it flies into the air
>knock it prone
>slow fall landing
>>
>>64002372
can halflings do strength?
>>
>>64002426
One to 10 minutes, same as normal armour, only can't be put on by the wearer, and requires 2 people to help.
>>
>>64002359
Thanks for the work. Enjoy your loot.
>>
>>64002433
I hope you aren't >>64002181 backtracking your idiotic misinterpretation of the dictionary

in the event you aren't, I disagree that this was necessarily implied by >>63998869
>>
>>64002433
>Not giving the Bandit one last chance to repent and redeem himself
>Not reading his last rites
>Not executing him swiftly and painlessly
>Not praying for his soul in the afterlife
>>
>>64002572
>Not giving the Bandit one last chance to repent and redeem himself
you mean "and then kill him anyway", right?
>>
strongly considering just changing Warlock to INT for my table. what breaks if I do this?
>>
>>64002595
Well yeah, redemption through death.
>>
>>64002509
Call it whatever you want. The phrasing and context in >>63998869 is pretty clear. The honorable lawful good fighter being worse than the guy who dreams of world domination.

So the third sense sounds extremely applicable. Being emotionless and dispassionate about a meaningless execution doesn't exclude it from being cruel.

>>64002572
This would be the lawful good way, but we weren't given information to support that the fighter did these things.
>>
File: funnybutsad.gif (3.79 MB, 446x324)
3.79 MB
3.79 MB GIF
>usually play a smart prudent character lawful good
>decide I'll play a dumb brute lawful neutral that could swing to good or evil
>realize too late that the party sees me as the de facto leader and will do what I say no matter how self-destructive or counter-productive
>have to prevent the party from a wipe by idiocy while playing an idiot
>>
>>64002420
They don't hover. Monks are melee oriented but have an easier time reaching dragons thanks to greater speed and ability to run up walls and jump into those scaly fucks.
>>
>>64002721
You need walls for that, though. Monks don't jump very far.
>>
File: 1542151116938.gif (529 KB, 350x180)
529 KB
529 KB GIF
>>64002639
>become de facto leader
>lead party on with stupid, self destructive choices anyway
>>
>>64002624
Warlocks primarily benefit from not needing to max Charisma in the first place. They have plenty of powers that don't use their charisma bonus, and are intended to support melee as well by spreading into dex/str. I don't think it would break anything, but I'd find it unfitting. I mostly GM, but I've been playing a celestial warlock recently. I don't think using Int would've made anything simpler.
>>
>>64002806
>read entire monster manual
>intentionally give party bad advice to anti-metagame
>>
>>64002639
I would lead them to a blatant party wipe if they never voice their complaints about dumb decisions.
>>
How shitty would it be to make a halfling divination wizard with halfling luck and lucky
>>
How much prep should players do before session 0? Do you usually make a character and bring it for approval or do you usually create the character afterwards? I'm dming for strangers for the first time and I'm not sure what is expected
>>
>>64002895
None. Session 0 should be all about chargen and a little world gen.
>>
>>64002908
>>64002895
i would follow up, none necessary but if the player chooses to then that's also cool. assuming you don't do "hey DM i rolled these stats 18 17 16 14 13 10 let's make a character"
>>
>>64002895
Read the campaign guide basically. Session 0 is about players coming together, pitching an idea, and working with the DM and other players to figure out why their characters have partied up.
>>
>>64002849
>be ForeverDM who finally gets to be a player
>sudden encounter of Ochre Jellies in sewers
>longsword fighter goes to engage
>fighter gets trashcanned by half a dozen Ochre jelly of varying sizes
I could have said something, but it's so much better when they get to experience the "oh fuck" scenario, since they only get that experience once.
Unless you're my stoner player who somehow has forgotten several times over two years that Trolls don't regenerate when hit by fire.
>>
>>64002796
Thank god I explicitly mentioned walls.
>>
>>64003009
This is about fighting dragons in general.

If you're fighting a dragon in the open world, you aren't going to have walls.
>>
>>64002895
Ideally:
They should have completed their entire character build. They should have given the GM at least a week advance to read over their sheet and backstory. Hopefully GM approves. If not, minor adjustments are made to comply with rules. If the GM has house rules that are not written within official sources, such as setting information that restricts available races, then it is the GM's responsibility to inform players before they are even told to create characters.

Ideally. In reality, probably less than half of your players will have created their own characters. Have a few pre-builts available for each class. Allowing people to play whatever is easiest on you, but giving people the framework of "any official sources such as the PHB, Xanathar's, etc." helps give them a framework to work in. If you don't mind, telling them to send it to you ahead of time can help, but it's not necessary if you're not running a super grognard-tier serious-bizniz game.

Most important thing is to be patient and have low expectations. If literally anyone reads a page of the PHB before they show up, you should consider yourself lucky.
>>
>>64001642
I want to marry that oni!
>>
Any resources for generating stats for custom dragons/monsters. Or is there a break down of how dragons are built mechanically. Looking essentially for tables to roll on.
>>
>>64002206
Roguebarian
>>
>>64002426
I buy lots of lube for my moon druid so he can claim my body whenever he needs to take a short rest
>>
>>64003051
The Monster Manual has a gigantic section dedicated to dragons with mountains of lore and stat tables, anon. Every color of dragon has separate stat blocks listed for all their life stages. The game IS named after them.
>>
>>64003067
????????
>>
>>64003067
Is this some kind of "The Ranger gets fucked by the shapeshifted Druid" shitpost?
>>
>>64003067
Based and lube-pilled
>>
File: 89a.png (268 KB, 567x405)
268 KB
268 KB PNG
>>64003039
You better be prepared to work hard, anon.
>>
File: take it.png (39 KB, 311x67)
39 KB
39 KB PNG
>>64003106
>>64003148
gotta relieve your dire wolf's stress somehow, anon. sometimes those feral instincts take over.
>>
>>64002871
I did exactly that and it was fun and not too obstructive. My DM was fine with it. Then again, I only played that character for three or four sessions while the party rescued my main character, whose soul had been torn from his body by the Deck of Many Things.
>>
Can one stealth cast spells using a stealth check or a sleight of hand check, or is this something only a sorcerer with subtle spell can do?
>>
>>64003031
Who the fuck fights dragons in the open, it's usually in their lair or they're attacking a settlement. But if you find yourself fighting a dragon in the open, grab a grappling hook with a generous amount of rope and wait for it to swoop down to to throw it, then climb and punch it good.
>>
>>64003203
I would allow it for an Arcane Trickster, because literally their whole subclass is about casting spells sneakily.
>>
>>63996482
make them buy tickets or beg for passage
give them some options in which ship they choose
get them invested from the docks in their lives
>>
>>64003208
Sometimes you don't choose when to fight the dragon.
>>
>>64003264
Then you throw the grappling hook and climb.
>>
>>64003208
>fighting in lair
>swoop down
Anon, have you ever fought a dragon before?
They don't fight in their lair, they specifically leave their lair to get the advantage of the open air, unless, of course, their lair somehow supports hundreds of feet of open air, like an underground canyon.
They also don't "swoop down."
They stay in the sky just in reach for them to move and blast you with their breath attack and then fly back up and regenerate it.
Anyone who can actually hit the dragon at that range gets to be on the dragon's shit list.
And, when the dragon is too injured, it just flies away to one of its many other lairs in its territory to prepare to fuck you up.
Fighting dragons sucks, man
>>
>>64003264
>>
>>63996482
Go for something kinda legendary that ties them into a story immediately, yeah. Like the kraken, except maybe it's some sort of good-and-bad protector sea creature that eats people but also keeps really bad shit at bay, and that creature dies, the players get out and they realize the bad shit it was keeping at bay is getting in.
>>
Starting a new campaign tomorrow. I feel pretty confident with the opening setup, which involves the party being tricked into smuggling a Troll head which regenerates and then causes mayhem. My concern though is that the party will find the head and appropriately cauterize it, leaving me without a Troll. What should I, or more accurately the small Illithid vanguard orchestrating monster attacks to throw a city into panic and confusion, do if the Troll attack does not go off as scheduled?
>>
>>63996482
>>64003228
Seconding the idea to pay for passage. The vehicles and transportation section of the PHB is one I wish I used more. It's a good way to get players to spend money and gain a sense of its value.

My personal opinion on the ship wrecks early on, don't do it. It sets the precedent that your players should count on the sea fucking them over immediately. Ideally, a well-stocked ship should feel just as safe to them as a harbor. Safer, perhaps, because there are fewer NPCs with suspicious motives around them. Use the ship as a safe haven, for the most part, to which they can withdraw from adventures on land. Take a cue from one of the most popular comics, One Piece. The crew in it almost never risks their ship and they consider it as valuable as any crew member. It's their home.
>>
File: 1547081848619.png (3.54 MB, 2001x3399)
3.54 MB
3.54 MB PNG
So I'm planning on doing a rogue/ revised beastmaster ranger in an upcoming campaign.

Can't decide if I should I do 7rogue/7ranger split or 9rogue/5ranger? Any opinions
>>
>>64003361
>Climbing the dragon
I had a player try this once.
The dragon just flew 300 feet in the air and ended up grabbing the little rogue off of it.
Bit and clawed the fuck out of her and then said, "I wonder if you'll bounce..." and dropped her.
81~ damage to a low health, 7th level Rogue is pretty disgusting and a good reason why someone in the party should always have a scroll of featherfall or featherfall prepared when you know you're going to fight a giant, flying, acid breathing apex predator.
>>
>>64003515
>multiclassing revised ranger
please stop
>>
>>64003527
at least it isn't RR gloomstalker 3 / assassin X
>>
>>64003515
Rangers are for fags, play a wizard
>>
>>64003520
Poor rogue. Monks have slow fall and the capacity to make the dragons fall if the party is helping with burning the legendary resistances.
>>
>>64003448
Come up with a completely different idea to supplement it. Illithids are supposed to be smart, so they'll have several plans going at the same time and not hinge everything on a group's ignorance of troll regeneration. I'd suggest a group of troglodytes crawling out of a cave connected to an old mine or the city sewers. The MM lists them as a favorite mind-slave for Illithids.

Also, if your campaign is starting at level 1 make sure to scale down the troll a little, maybe give it lower HP since it was just a head. At CR5 it would be a slog to take down with 84HP and could one-shot a lot of lower level characters.
>>
>>64003479
>Take a cue from one of the most popular comics, One Piece. The crew in it almost never risks their ship and they consider it as valuable as any crew member. It's their home.

based advice
>>
>>64003601
Troglodytes are a decent idea. The Illithids are currently in the city sewers, using thralls and minions to import illegal goods and monsters with the intent of weakening the city's infrastructure. Throwing out a Troglodyte could be a decent Plan B, with the hook that it risks revealing the Illithid's hiding place.

Campaign's starting at level 3, and I think it'll be fine. I've done this once before and the Troll was a cakewalk to that party, though the other party was bigger. But there are plenty of NPC guards to both whittle down the Troll's HP and more importantly draw its attacks if the PCs are critically injured.
>>
>>64003148
It isn’t a shitpost. It’s my dream life by the druid’s side~
>>
>>64003164
This. It’s important to keep your friend happy and healthy, and sometimes that means meeting their body’s needs
>>
>tiefling paladin of devotion
>get magic initiate for absorb elements
smart or dumb
>>
>>64003708
Why?
>>
>>64003708
I'd rather just get str or charisma maxed out as soon as possible
>>
>>64003708
Dumb. Never take feats.
>>
>>64003367
just grapple the dragon lmao
>>
>>64003208
Anon, any dragon worthy of the name is not going to passively wait for you to storm its lair or allow itself to get ambushed and fight to the death in a settlement. These are extremely smart creatures that have survived for hundreds of years against multiple threats trying to kill them.

Dragons will take a pro-active approach to serious threats by ambushing the threats or fighting them with minions or other buffs present. Dragons never fight "fair." and are always lethal threats - at least in the games I run. It should never be as simple as just "don't fight the dragon in the open" or "just throw a grappling hook at it." They are legendary creatures for a reason and any fight with a dragon should carry real risk of player death.
>>
>>64003907
??? are you >>64002071
>>
>>64003942
To add to this (and it's a personal preference), I generally also give my dragons access to all of the magic items that would otherwise be in their hordes. That potion of speed isn't just lying around to be looted by the adventurers. (yes, I understand playing dragons smart boosts their effective CR - so sue me).
>>
>>64004005
Don't be stupid. Everyone knows none of the feats are worth tanking.
>>
>>64004028
Personally I think a dragon would weigh the cost of using something an item that's in his hoard. They would likely be arrogant enough to think they could kill someone without them.
>>
>>64003152
I’ll try my best every day!
>>
>>64003708
Not worth a feat. If you want it so much, the right answer is take one level of sorcerer.
>>
>>64003907
Feats can be helpful. I don't recommend taking stats or feats for the sake of power-gaming at all, but feats provide some neat role playing flavor.
>>
Gonna be playing in an ERP game. What's she most Chad class? Aside from bards.
>>
>>64004056
Agreed. It depends on how serious the dragon sees the threat. If it believes its life or hoard is in danger it will use every resource at its disposal, but in earlier encounters (or if an especially arrogant type of dragon), you're right it won't want to use magic items if not absolutely necessary. That being said, dragons should almost never fight to the death (unless protecting young, etc.), so even if a dragon is arrogant in the first encounter, if it survives it will come back with a lot more firepower.
>>
>>64004160
Barb
>>
>>64004160
Depends. For sheer muscle it would definitely be barbarians, but if you're looking for an all-rounder it would probably be paladin since they have a solid mix of charisma and strength.
>>
>>64004160
>ERP game
>Plays a 'chad'
literal shitter
play a shemale
>>
File: Injury Poisons.png (32 KB, 1140x172)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
How many pieces of ammunition can you apply the Poisons in the DMG on?
>>
>>64004160
Paladin of Conquest
>>
>>64004160
Fighter or Paladin.
>doesn't need to study
>isn't handed bullshit bloodline magic
>didn't get fondled by a patron
>isn't a bitchboi to a diety
>not a furry or hippie
>isn't a faggot constantly blowing pipes
>no need to hide like some in-the-closet-fag
>>
>>64004277
>hurrdurr shemales
The worst meme of the century. You'd know this if you ever played any ERP games, anon.
>>
>>64004324
Poison, basic in the PHB can be applied to 3 pieces of ammunition and lasts a minute. Which is extremely low on both sides.
>>
File: Purple Worm Poison.png (32 KB, 1108x224)
32 KB
32 KB PNG
>>64004368
Right, but this is DMG Poisons, does that rule extend to them as well with the whole 1-minute timer and number of ammunition that can be affected?
>>
>>64004355
Everybody despises the one person playing chad mcdickface unless you're playing a gay campaign.
>>
>>64004324
Don't have dmg, but it looks like the specific injury poison is as many as you can. I mean as long as you have poison you can coat things because it lasts until used.

How much per whatever depends on the dm. 3ammo or one weapon per vial is reasonable, but if your dm lets you buy/ make a barrel you could go wild.
>>
What's a mechanic from older editions you'd like to see return?

>THAC0
unironically this for me
>>
>>64004419
I'd say the rule applies if the poison is purchased. The DMG mentions dosages and basic poison from the PHB in the Crafting and Harvesting section on poisons. Definitely a rule by DM though. If a player harvested it, I'd only give them a single dose on success and multiple if they harvested from multiple monsters or whatever. If they crafted it, I'd let them apply other bonuses with successful checks such as longer time limits or being apply to use it on more ammunition.
>>
>>64004645
Childhood spent in those tables

I would like to see meat grinder/ survival of the fittest games where making level 2 was a real accomplishment. I already make my players deal with taking the treasure back, aand the dungeon is never empty going back.
>>
>>64004645
>THAC0
Absolutely not. While I understand it and used it a lot, most new players find it incredibly obtuse and needlessly complex, because it is. I have a hard enough time getting players to read how their class works; I don't need them requiring an extra lesson just for armor class.
>>
>>64004645
removal of concentration.
>>
>>64004645
Bull rushing or charging an enemy to not be a fucking feat but just a basic combat thing like grappling.
>>
>>64004611
>>64004655
I think RAW and RAI its supposed to be one piece of ammo and one weapon per dose. If you have multiple doses you can apply each individual dose to another weapon or ammo.
>>
>>64004720
Poor little wizard boi. Go back to 3.pf now, shoo.
>>
>>64004787
I play cleric/paladin. I wish I could use bless without lowering my own damage output because of concentration.
>>
>>64004816
But anon, aren't you increasing the party's overall damage by boosting their accuracy and reducing the likelihood of them losing attacks to control effects?
>>
>>64004836
Yeah but I wanna use both bless and something else at the SAME TIME.
>>
>>64004836
For cleric, yes. Paladin, unlikely.
I too know that divine magic struggle.
>>
>>64004160
Paladin
>>
So the party enters the throne room of Zariel, Archduchess of Avernus, First Layer of Hell. They have to steal one of her treasures. She initially uses a disguise (through alter self), but then she drops concentration and reveals her true self:

"She is suddenly engulfed in flames, and her form changes. In a matter of seconds, her size doubles, her feet grow into hooves, the skin all over her body burns and cracks, both of her legs also crack, creating a second knee in each. Skeletal wings stretch from behind her back, with fire instead of feathers. She grows horns out of her head and her eyes melt away, revealing two firey pits underneath. She then says __________"

>tl; dr: I need good one-liners for Zariel when she faces the party
>>
New thread:

>>64005086
>>64005086
>>64005086
>>
>>64005074
"Forgive me the cliché, but it bears saying regardless: welcome to Hell."
>>
>>64003367
>Dragons don't fight in their lairs
>Lair actions
>>
>>64003361
Now the dragon flies over a forest so you get hit by a bajillion trees while attached to the rope
Great plan anon
>>
>>64005852
Anchor the rope to something solid or that you can wedge into a tree.
>>
A player of mine wants to play as a Cambion. In his backstory, the Mother he was born to tore his wings off. I could explain the entire background, but no need. He really just wants to play a Tiefling and skin it as a wingless Cambion for story purposes. I don't have an issue with that. How would you guys have the average City and/or Townsfolk react to a Cambion vs A Tiefling? I imagine the more urban areas wouldn't know the difference, but more educated folk would be even more horrified/stand-offish.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.