[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: Link_SSBU.png (186 KB, 360x450)
186 KB
186 KB PNG
What is the most heroic weapon loadout? At first thought I'd say sword and shield, but I would like to know what you anons think.
>>
File: nyaaaggghh.jpg (51 KB, 943x622)
51 KB
51 KB JPG
>>63994120
shield and spear, with a sword as backup
>>
File: conan.jpg (8 KB, 185x272)
8 KB
8 KB JPG
>>63994120
I guess a two-handed sword is even more hero-y. They're chad enough they ain't gotta hide, plus you get cool sword-on-sword clashes. It's a nice mix between "ME STRONK" power and "I have mastered the blade" skill too.

Spear is a good weapon before someone mentions it, but it's the weapon of militias and soldiers rather than heroes. Hammers are a good choice, but the "thrusting the blade into the monster's weak spot" just looks best with a good ol' stabber.
Plus you get some cool poses with it.

So yeah, for pure Hero weapon it's the Greatsword. Link's a "wily adventurer" that becomes a hero however, so sword and shield works well for him. He's supposed to hide and block before retaliating in a skilful or cunning manner as opposed to jumping in the dragon's mouth to stab upwards into the soft palate.
>>
File: 1529988495677.png (117 KB, 444x540)
117 KB
117 KB PNG
>>63994120
>At first thought I'd say sword and shield
And you'd be right.

It's really all it takes to make your character seem five times more heroic.
>>
File: rel0044.jpg (255 KB, 1423x1024)
255 KB
255 KB JPG
Bare handed.
If you need a weapon to kill a lion, you're a punk.
>>
File: rockules.jpg (28 KB, 600x322)
28 KB
28 KB JPG
More heroes should wield clubs
>>
File: Geppetto.jpg (132 KB, 800x1200)
132 KB
132 KB JPG
>>63994120
The most heroic weapon is a puppet on strings that you modeled after you grand daughter and sexualized the shit out of it.
>>
File: Rdf5IXZ.jpg (12 KB, 266x225)
12 KB
12 KB JPG
>>63994333
>>
>>63994120
Pretty much sword and shield, though the sword can be replaced by another weapon. A hero doesn't just defeat his enemies, he also protects those around him. That's why weapon+shield fits so well.
>>
File: 1499231604740.png (584 KB, 352x778)
584 KB
584 KB PNG
>>63994270
Damn right
>>
club and mammoth skin loincloth
>>
Sword and shield is right, you need the shield to protect your friends ~~~~~~~
Also it has to be a sword because it doesn't rely on brute strength ~~~~~

However. Lads. All of what I just wrote is wrong.
The most heroic weapon is and always will be the lance.
>>
>>63994729
Requires a horse to use properly, power comes from horse and not hero. Incorrect answer.
>>
File: green.jpg (9 KB, 225x225)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
Lance and horseback. Any other answer is completely wrong.
>>
File: sword n board.jpg (151 KB, 820x1312)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
Sword and Board
>>
>>63994750
>>
>>63994120
Heroes aren't defined by what they wear; they are defined by what they do.
>>
File: anduril1-1.jpg (25 KB, 350x522)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>63994230
I'm a fan of the two hander as well.
>>
>>63994120

What did Hercules use the most?
>>
>>63996383
His dick.
>>
Depends on if theyre a chivalric hero or a barbarian hero. the barbarian is the force of the self, pure confidence in one's skills, body and mind. As such a barbarian hero would be better with a two handed sword or an equivalent like a hammer or such.
A chivalric hero is a more complex kind of hero, one who uses wealth and resources to protect his fragile human body as well as the world in which he lives. A barbarian hero lives on the rules he himself made and is outside of society while a chivalric hero is a hero of society and as such its weapon of choice would be more defensive. A sword and shield is the classic example but a horse, a spear and a shield.
>>
>>63995962
that's just a longsword buddy, you can use that with a shield well enough
>>
File: mad.jpg (72 KB, 460x700)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>63994120
a sword, some top notch disguise skills, and the power of love
>>
>>63994230
I *like* the two handed sword more, but shields add too many hero points to ignore.
Sword and shield is the most heroic setup.
>>
File: baYi1iM.jpg (52 KB, 750x767)
52 KB
52 KB JPG
>people unironically saying shield combos
Shields are the equipment of the knight, the warrior, the soldier. Not the Hero. The Hero doesn't hide, doesn't take blows. He dodges, he parries, he's always active.
The shield is the item of someone constrained by common sense, by reality. That's not the most HEROIC loadout. That's just the best loadout in general. No, you need to be hot blooded! To charge forth with reckless abandon at the first sign of adventure! Of glory! You are one who grapples monsters, challenges gods and performs feats of strength to change the world.

So leave your goddamn common sense at the door and pick up a goddamn giant sword and cut a Dragon's head off with it to take back the Sun and Moon it stole from the Sky.
>>
>>63996930
>*dies*
not everything is your chinese cartoons or vidya
>>
>>63994120
The hero's wit.

Failing that, whatever the enemy uses, because 1. it seems more fair/honorable, 2. you're still better because you managed to take his weapon with only your bare hands.
>>
>>63994120
A sword and a horse
>>
>>63996383
He swapped between every weapon of his era, using a sword to slay Kyknos, using a spear to wound Ares, using his bare hands to wrestle the Nemean Lion or heave Cerberus, walloped the Lernaean Hydra with his olive-wood club, and so on. But the weapon he used most, for sheer convenience, was his bow and arrow, with which he slew a horde of centaurs (and Nessus), the Stymphalian birds, and Geryon. He also shot at several other of his beasts but many were so strong and fast that arrows were of no use.
>>
>>63997242
>using a spear to wound Ares
when did this happen? I know Diomedes wounded Ares with a spear but I don't remember Hercules doing the same
>>
File: SXTLQ2q.jpg (33 KB, 720x711)
33 KB
33 KB JPG
>>63997012
>thinks I'm referencing either of those
HERCULES HELD APART THE LAND AND SKY, OVERPOWERED THE GUARDIAN OF THE UNDERWORLD AND RESHAPED THE LAND WHEN HE GODDAMN WANTED

BEOWULF GRAPPLED GIANTS AND FOUGHT A FUCKING DRAGON

MAUI WAS ANNOYED THE SUN SET WHILE HE WAS BUSY SO HE GRABBED A HOLD OF THE SUNBEAMS TO MAKE THEM STAY STILL, MAKING THE DAY LAST LONGER

YOU ABSOLUTE COCKMONGLER HAVE SOME APPRECIATION FOR ANCIENT HEROES RESHAPING THE LAND
>>
>>63997258
The Shield of Heracles poem. After Heracles slew his son Kyknos, Ares attacked him in rage, only to get stabbed in the thigh.
>>
File: The-Mark-Of-Kri.jpg (68 KB, 958x539)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>63997148
>you managed to take his weapon with your bare hands
FUA
ROSU
FAHU
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 1280x720)
142 KB
142 KB JPG
>>63994120
Fools. It is not the sword, the symbol of nobility which keeps man down. It is the gun that births heroes, that which gives to even the feeblest the potential to shatter the world. The deafening crack of gunfire that echoes through eternity, as a man is able to prove conviction and heroism without the trappings of finery a pouncy knight shoulders vainly.
>>
>>63997376
I say this as an avid advocate for the second amendment, guns are the antithesis of heroism in the classical sense of the word. The entire point of firearms is to level the playing field. Anyone from the most decrepis old crone to a soldier in the prime of their life can effectively use a firearm. They're not heroic weapons, they're the tools of the layman. Thats what makes them wonderful.
>>
>>63997376
Guns are the weapons of men, not heroes. You don't have to be chosen to take up a rifle. You don't have to get a gun forged by a wizard. Literally the most mystic you can get is bullets made of silver to shoot monsters with.
>>
>>63997376
Also, thats not even Big Iron. Big iron had an octagonal barrel, no top strap, and a cartridge conversion cylinder in .45 full fuck. Thats a basic bitch songle action army, its not even a buntline.
>>
>>63994120
chainsaw and shotgun
>>
Sword, shield, steed, and lance.
In that order.
>>
>>63997376
Big iron on his hiiiiiiiiiiip-
>>
File: Elric_of_Melnibone.jpg (101 KB, 510x700)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>63994230
The two handed sword is an anti-heros weapon. Conan is a perfect example
>>
>>63997464
>>63997425
That's what makes them heroic. Heroism isn't magic or phophecy, it's bravery and courage in spite of insurmountable evil. Who's more couragous to fight a dragon, the vetern knight with a hundred battles under his belt acting on his reputation, or the broken man trying to keep his daughter from being sacrificed? That the gun allows the second the chance to convert conviction into action means it is the maker of heroes.
>>63997466
Fair, blame google images
>>
>>63997683
>That's what makes them heroic
Ever heard the phrase "when everyone's special, no one is"? It's not heroic when it's the norm, dude. You're just abusing the term at that point.
It might be righteous as all heaven but it's not heroic.
>>
>>63997683
Thats the point. The evil isnt insurmountable. The veteran and the scared man are both equally capable. Thats the POINT of firearms. That all men are equal. Killing is NOT heroic, regardless of the circumstance. It is a last stand against evil in the hands of good. That is all.
>>
File: Cap'n.jpg (25 KB, 340x450)
25 KB
25 KB JPG
>>63996930
>The Hero doesn't hide, doesn't take blows
He needs to take some to establish his opponent as a threat. Also it gives the author a plausible way for him to endure many types of harm

>you need to be hot blooded! To charge forth with reckless abandon at the first sign of adventure! Of glory! You are one who grapples monsters, challenges gods and performs feats of strength to change the world.
You seem to have confused 'hero' with 'braggart'. Heroes refuse the first call to adventure. You'll have a hard time finding quality characters who behave as you describe.
>>
>>63997783
I guess my point is more that it's not the weapon that is heroic, rather that it is individuals who are capable of being heroic at certain points. The gun, by enabling the most people to be able to have that choice to be heroic, is therefore the most heroic weapon.
>"when everyone's special, no one is"
The thing with that is that it's not true. Two people with a gun may have the same potential, but if only one of them is willing to leave a safe-room and act, then it's clear which is more heroic.
>>
>>63998052
>Two people with a gun may have the same potential, but if only one of them is willing to leave a safe-room and act, then it's clear which is more heroic.
The gun didn't make the one heroic and the other unheroic, the quality of being able to go and act is there without the gun.
All guns do is level out what acts are capable of being done. It doesn't enable heroism nor does it suppress cowardice, it just allows heroic actions to not be futile. A hero would attack a villain with his bare hands if need be, a sword makes him more likely to win and a gun more likely still.
>>
>>63998199
In that case the answer to OP is that weapons aren't heroic because heroism is a quality of people.
(Unless you have sentient weapons and they become heroic, I guess)
>>
>>63994208
First post, best post. Anyone who disagrees needs to read the classics.
>>
>>63996930
You've never turned down a dodge check because you wanted to protect someone standing behind you?
>>
>and now /tg/ is going to argue about the definition of a hero

Goddamnit. Why? We already know that the classical one is the best.
>>
>>63998460
>a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.

This one?
>>
File: 1272823308813.jpg (127 KB, 1024x514)
127 KB
127 KB JPG
>>63998460
Because a "hero" is a different thing to every different culture on this planet. You should understand this by now.
>>
>>63998482
bara alexander is best alexander
>>
>>63994120
Shield is good because it can be used to defend not only yourself but others too. Instant hero points.

>>63994230
This one is nice too, works better for anti-heroes or loners though. But still nice and heroic.

>>63994292
Works best in something designed to be for younger audiences. Easier to show the hero kill the bad guys without having to add tones of cuts and blood. Sure, blunt force can be really bloody, but it's easier to portray it as bloodless carnage than with a sword. I think it should come up more often too.

I'm going to have to say sword+shield combination is best.
>>
>>63994208
This. You're fighting with the weapons of a regular soldier. But you're heroic because you are very good at it.
>>
Spear + Shield is the loadout of myth and legend

single sword gets honorable mention
>>
>>63994120
Damn straight Sword and Board is loadout of choice for heroes!

>>63996930
>Doesn’t hide
That’s because he’s expertly blocking the blow leaving his opponent vulnerable faggot.
>>
>>63997242

Now I'm starting to understand why Hercules can be summoned under every standard class except for Caster in the Fate universe.
>>
>>63994208
I can smell the autistic renaissance fair faggots nodding to their heads at this post. My answer is a single sword, no shield.
>>
>>63994120
Bare hands
>>
File: the_new_mecca.jpg (83 KB, 800x533)
83 KB
83 KB JPG
>>63994230
I'd say the spear thing varies a bit more depending on region. European and Japanese heroes are associated with two-handed swords for sure. But when you look at Chinese ones for example, they almost always have a polearm.
>>
>>63999724
European heroes used spears too, especially earlier ones like in Greek or Celtic mythology.

>>63999264
Hi Beowulf!
>>
>>63994120
Single, one-handed sword.
No shield.

Bastard sword if you want to get a little edgy.
>>
File: glaive.jpg (9 KB, 600x395)
9 KB
9 KB JPG
>>63994120
>>
Shield, nothing else. No captain Murica bullshit, but the combination of noble protection and no "proper" weapon seems like a paticularly heroic combination
>>
File: copellia.jpg (151 KB, 800x1100)
151 KB
151 KB JPG
>>64000192
>>
>>63994120
Sword definitely. The shield is just to make it more believable.
A hero's weapon is always distinct, can be held in one hand, and is never the most efficient weapon in the setting.
It's why fairy tale knights use swords instead of polearms, and why modern day heroes use handguns instead of rifles.
Hell, sometimes future heroes will still use swords instead of rifles.
>>
Brass knuckles or caesti
>>
>>64002984
Name 5 heroes that use these.
>>
>>63994774
based Sain.
>>
>>63994774

Stop forgetting your sword you stupid oaf, Kent can't always carry an extra.
>>
>>63998415
the classics are garbage
>>
>>63996930
bland
>>
a thief's license and set of tools, erasmus' razzle dazzle, a few daggers, kirkov's cosmic karma kaleidoscope, the mirror with a leer, a dispel potion, a magic rope, a lamp with a fire elemental trapped inside, a sapphire pin, lowenhard's lariat of legerdemain, and a saurus
>>
>>63994120
Bow or spear, hero's are the smartest among us, because that improves life for the rest of the people. Bow and spear are the thinking mans weapons
>>
>>64003957
>hero's are the smartest among us
This is almost always untrue.
>>
>>63994120
Sword and shield. It's symbolically heroic.

Most practical? Most strategic in most situations? Most useful? No. But most heroic.

Swords aren't the most practical war weapon and are more useful as a peacekeeping one. They suggest a more personal and one on one encounter, not a slaughter, surprise attack, or fight between forces of disproportionate size. A character with a sword gives off a sense of fair play to the viewer. And if they overcome enemies who don't have sword, or unfavorable odds, it makes them look all the more heroic.
>>
>>63996930
>The Hero doesn't take blows
Taking blows is an extremely heroic action. Animeposter is a retarded faggot, news at eleven.
>>
>>63994120
Most heroic load out.

Nothing at all, nothing but your own body that you are willing to bear 10,000 arrows. Even if surrounded, and no hope of survival, they will make the sacrifice to save others.

If you wanna talk effective builds? liberal application of dakka.
>>
>>63994333
source?
>>
File: sword-and-board.jpg (62 KB, 382x280)
62 KB
62 KB JPG
>>63994120
Sword and Board, clearly.

>>63996930
But that's wrong you fucking faggot. What's the point of a hero if not to protect others and block blows, to both outwit and overpower enemies. Heroes are valiant, they're courageous, but they're not stupid.

When the odds are stacked against the righteous, you stack them right back!
>>
File: 1464572725785.jpg (79 KB, 607x607)
79 KB
79 KB JPG
>>63994292
>wielded by the most iconic hero
>gets cucked in modern pop culture

IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR
>>
>>63997283
To be fair, Beowulf's fight was how NOT to approach a dragon and he ended up dying for it.
>>
File: 1521881319245.png (121 KB, 304x470)
121 KB
121 KB PNG
>>63997376
You've doomed us all!
>>
>>63997491
Underrated post, I wouldn't say this is THE most heroic but easy top ten.
>>
>>63994120
the longsword is the archetypal heroes weapon of medieval fantasy.
2 handed, 1 handed with a shield or a buckler
>>
File: Speedy_Cerviche.png (259 KB, 620x450)
259 KB
259 KB PNG
>>63994120

I've always personally loved the idea of a custom made sword, the hero always fighting with a lone sword however when shit goes down, he holds it with both as the sword becomes two and he duel wields.

Something about that always makes my eyes pop, though in fairness, I can't think of anywhere this happens EXCEPT the legendary ninjitsu sword from the Samurai Pizza Cats cartoon.

Which granted, is not exactly the most 'heroic' of shows.
>>
File: Varian.png (865 KB, 846x502)
865 KB
865 KB PNG
>>64004987
>I can't think of anywhere this happens EXCEPT the legendary ninjitsu sword from the Samurai Pizza Cats cartoon.
This guy's sword could split into two.
>>
>>64005073

Ma boy!

I don't know what is about single sword fighting and then that moment of dual wielding that makes it so heroic to me. I think it's most of the time, duel swords are like a dance and more refined than simple sword and shield (however I do appreciate that a lot when it's done right). So maybe its the choreography of it, or maybe it's just dual wielding is cool as fuck.
>>
File: A-Fistful-of-Dollars.jpg (202 KB, 1200x899)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
This is the most heroic loadout. Complete with posture.

Feel free to steal it.
>>
>>63994292

>sees pic

Is that movie good?
>>
>>64005195
Has this happened in reverse? Where the "standard" is two weapons but in times of need the weapons combine to make one fuckhueg weapon?
Closest thing I can think of is like Power Rangers where they plug all of their Official Licensed Hasbro Power Rangers Plastic Shit® together to form a space cannon.
>>
>>63994120
Let's dive into this, as it has far less to do with practicality and much more to do with symbolism and association.

>Bladed vs. Blunt vs. Piercing
Thanks to civilized historical armies (at least the ones people care about), bladed and piercing weapons are seen as much more civilized. As such hammers, clubs and the like are usually associated with brutish, barbarian or aggressive warrior societies. Orcs, Dwarves, Hobgoblins etc.

>Ranged Weapons
Almost all characters I can think of from novels and legend that rely around a bow or crossbow are also renowned for their intelligence/cleverness. Cadderly from The Cleric Quintet jumps to mind for a modern example but also think Orion or rougish types like Robin Hood.

>Shield and spear
Classic loadout, but TOO classic. It's practicality takes away from the fantasy hero angle. Fits a powerful warrior character in today's aesthetic, maybe a mentor or just a badass the hero respects.

>Two-handed sword
Definitely heroic but in a "I am super strong, don't fuck with me" way. They require strength to use along with the bravery to not use a shield but it doesn't contain the savage element of a hammer or club.

>Sword and shield
I do think this is by far the most immediately telling sign of heroism today. Practically a shield is used to protect yourself but symbolically it just means that the character themselves is a natural protector. They likely don't fight for themselves or ironically their own safety but instead to save or protect others.
>>
File: Krull-Featured.jpg (86 KB, 970x545)
86 KB
86 KB JPG
>>63994120
>>
>>64005492
That weapon really did jack all in the movie. The real weapon was the magic flames.
>>
>>63994120
Pants, Half Empty bottle of Jagermeister and a blowtorch.
Hide your daughters, Captain's on deck
>>
>>63994120
A Shield and nothing else
>>
File: 0WXiffY.jpg (22 KB, 473x586)
22 KB
22 KB JPG
>>63994208
Agreed suck my spear sword fags.
>>
>>63998798
>Weapons of a regular soldier
U fookin wot m8
>>
>>63997783
I'm with that anon. A hero is just a man who knows he's free.
>>
>>64005277
There's Cloud's sword from Advent Children.
It was like, 7 swords that could all lock together for one big fucking sword.
>>
>>63997425
All weapons are there to level the playing field or give you an advantage.
That's what weapons are about.
>>63997464
Now that's only because you are a brainlet.
>>63994120
Lance, horse and Sword.
A sign, a friend and a tool.
>>
>>63994230
I can't disagree with any of this.
>>
>>64006240
>All weapons are there to level the playing field or give you an advantage.
>That's what weapons are about.
Melee weapons and bows take skill and strength to become good with. If you're fighting someone with more skill or strength than you, you have to get tricksy or they WILL beat your shit in.
Guns, on the other hand, depend solely on who gets the first shot that hits off. There is no effective defense besides hiding behind cover like a coward, and even someone with years more experience than you can be killed before they even know what's happening.
At least soon improved armour technology will make gunpowder weapons irrelevant because they don't have the stopping power to penetrate advanced materials and gunfags will get their shit pushed in by melee weapons again
>>
>>64007104
Do you not know how force works? If there is personal armor capable of stopping .308 reliably with no nreak down in integrity that covers 100% of the body, guess what else that armor is going to stop? A fucking knife, you dingleberry.
>b..but muh cutting force...
What dont you understand about 2700 ft/lbs of energy?
>>
>>63994120
Sling + custom ammo
>>
>>63994120
The most heroic weapon is diplomacy
>>
>>64007125
>he thinks that all kinds of mechanical stress work the same way
>using imperial measurements
>getting the units the wrong way around
Sure, something with enough tensile strength and flexibility can dissipate hits from single-point weapons like projectiles and piercing melee weapons. Sure, you can probably make it able to resist all but the sharpest slashing weapons too. But you know what the cost of that is? Incredibly shitty compressive strength. Just because someone can't stab you doesn't mean they can't hit you hard enough with a hammer to break bones and cause internal bleeding.
>>
>>64007232
>getting the units wrong way round
>he doesnt know the difference between foot pounds and pounds per square foot
Guy...
>a hammer swing is TOTALLY going to cause more trauma than a bullet!
>it goes smack not splat!
>he doesnt understand that force is equal to mass times (velocity squared).
>he doesnt realize light things moving fast hit harder than heavy things moving slow
>he doesnt understand force distribution

Yeah man, that poleaxe is definitely doing more damage than a .50 bmg. Totally.
>>
>>64007232
You do understand that at its most basic, a hammer is just a heavy bullet going really slow, right?
>>
>>63994120
Sword and shield for sure. I prefer heroes using other weapons but it's hard to beat the "Protect the weak, punish the wicked" symbolism.

A pole weapon would symbolize trying to distance yourself from the fight, and a blunt weapon would feel too brutish.
>>
>>63994120
I'd say Aragon-style. One longsword wielded in one or two hands as required. Makes for a good mix of swashbuckling action and brute force whilst also being a bit of an underdog due to being underequipped.
>>
>>64007264
Not that guy but the thing about bullets is that there’s a lot more than just mass and velocity. We have hollow point rounds and more which are made to avoid over penetration but that expansion causes more damage too. You also got vases like .45s making up for less velocity with more mass compared to 9mm.
>>
>>64007497
Making up for less energy with more TISSUE damage. Doesnt make a lick of difference if that holler point never makes it to the tissue. Trust me friend, i am more than aware. Muzzle energy is still queen and shot placement is still king. Marginal increases in tissue damage account for very little varience in actually halting a threat.
>>
>>64007497
And no, a hollowpoint and solid that noth have the same mass and veloicty will both do the same "damage" to armor. Until you statt talking about penetrators, its all the same thing.
>>
>>63994821
>SnB
>Posts a cleric of a god who favors the greatsword
>>
>>64007528
Tissue damage and design of the thing are exactly what makes it deadlier in a way beyond passing through for something of the same velocity and mass. Hydrostatic pressure can mess a guy up hard.

If you’re talking about being able to reach tissue then how about how it keeps it’s muzzle velocity? 7.62 has better range than 5.56 for a reason. Nothing about the bullet matters if enough wind drift screws it.

Marginal increases in tissue damage does have an effect. Causing more trauma in the area it affects does have an effect.
>>
>>64007528
Firearms are all about the transfer of energy. Chemical energy produced from burning gunpowder is turned into velocity, projecting the bullet forward. When the bullet impacts, a greater or lesser fraction of that energy is transferred to it's target. More energy dump is better when we're taking about stopping power, as it's this energy that destroys tissue and causes wounds. Hollowpoints, and expanding rounds in general, are more efficient at this energy transfer thing then jacketed bullets, which cover a soft core with a hard coating. The jacketed bullet is more accurate and can achive a higher velocity, but it's construction is not conducive to an effecent energy dump.

So higher muzzle velocity is a good thing. But it's only a piece of the puzzle. A heavier bullet can inherently transfer more energy then a lighter one, and a wider projectile can physically displace more of the target's material. It's been shown that bigger, heavier bullets destroy more tissue on impact, but smaller, faster ones penetrate more deeply into the target. I'm not even going to touch on hydrostatic shock, or shot placement.

I could go on, but there's literally libraries full of this subject, and the literature is redily available. Short form; the .223 round, in full jacketed format, fired by the AR15, is considered by many to be anemic for a rifle round, with lackluster performance. A softpoint, hollowpoint, or other frangible bullet does a better job in this caliber, but one is still constrained by light weight and small diameter.
>>
>>64007605
7.62 has better range because the projectile has a higher balistic coefficient. 6.5 creedmoor has more range than 7.62 despite being a smaller caliber AND a lighter bullet.
>>64007625
See above. 5.56 is considered "anemic" because the round is 1/3 the weight and 1/2 the energy of .308. You guys are arguing with a submoa shooter and avid hunter. I know how bullets work, i can plant one in a dinner plate from half a mile away.
>>
>>63996779
Damn, I love this movie.
>>
>>64007653
Why are you engaging with arguments with meleefags? Do you really think tomorrow someone will invent laser swords and armor that is 100% proof against bullets without the backface signature to break your ribs?
>>
>>64007653
>7.62 has better range because the projectile has a higher balistic coefficient. 6.5 creedmoor has more range than 7.62 despite being a smaller caliber AND a lighter bullet.
You forget the influence that higher mass has.
>>
>>63994750
>implying the greatest heroes don't have the greatest bonds with their steeds
>implying teamwork isn't the greatest heroic power of all
>>
>>64007653
>muh I shoot
I’ve seen glockfags who say you need tools to field strip a 1911. There’s a number of dishonest shit coming out if anyone.

There’s also some of that backed by joes who’re in the army. That’s stuff I trust more in an actual combat situation.
>>
File: voltron-LD.jpg (218 KB, 1200x1200)
218 KB
218 KB JPG
>>63996930
This, shield is acceptable, but commonly the hero uses a sword alone and often no armor (unless it's a legendary one).
In the Fellowship of the Ring no one had a shield, certainly not Aragorn or the Hobbits. Richard from Sword of Truth didn't use one as well. Conan usually has a sword, sometimes an axe, almost never a shield. Same for He-Man; there were shields packed with toys, but his main weapon was the sword and he didn't use a shield in the cartoon. Liu Bei had a sword, but no shield, and his brothers used polearms, so sword made him stand out. Even Voltron only uses a shield to protect itself from projectiles, but as soon as it can it forms it back into wings and charges with a sword alone. Same for its red paladin Keith. And let's not forget samurai, who didn't use shields at all (though their shoulderpads were kind of "wearable" shields, but remember the point about no armor).

The non-magical "hero" would be a Dex-based Fighter in light armor, using a Longsword or a Bastard Sword.
>>
>>63994120
Spearfag reporting in!
>>
>>64008522
What about Boromir?
>>
>>64008560
He died.
I forgot about Boromir having a shield. Probably because he died to the one thing a shield would protect him from. And he's usually depicted with sword in one hand, horn in the other.

Also he was not "the Hero".
>>
File: dsss.png (116 KB, 1214x714)
116 KB
116 KB PNG
Swordspear.
>>
>>63994120
>>
>>64007104
>t. Eurocuck who never held a firearm in his life
Do guns require less skill to employ than a bow?
Yes
Do they require less skill than a crossbow?
No
Do they require less skill than a make who is also part of your magical heroic melee weapons?
Hahaha
Fuck no.
>>
>>63997464
The Dark Tower, while not /tg/ material, has Roland's guns being forged from the original Excalibur. So technically there have been guns forged from special materials and used by a hero figure.
>>
>>64007125
Don't bother
He's an retards thinking that modern ballistic vests are capable of 100% stopping 9mm round force.
>>
>>64005195
Because to be able to pull off duel-wielding effectively agianst someone using a two-handed sword or sword and shield implies a level of mastery that marks them as above and beyond the sword and boardsman.
>>
File: sho fu kan.jpg (68 KB, 896x504)
68 KB
68 KB JPG
>>63994120
>implying weapons fucking matter
>implying sword isn't just a tool
>implying a proper warrior cannot wreck your ass no matter what he's wielding
>>
File: 1475421471866.png (8 KB, 572x428)
8 KB
8 KB PNG
>>64009233
>actually fighting
>not smugging on people until they kill each other
>>
>>64008721
Soft armor, you're getting a nasty fucking blunt blow. Hard armor? It's more like someone thumping you in the chest with a text book. The force is distributed over a much larger area due to it's rigidity.
>>
>>64010985
Meant for
>>64008721
>>
>>64008205
6.5 creedmoor has L O W E R mass you fuckstick
>>
>>63994230
Was this actually a good movie or is it just a roleplayer meme?
>>
>>64009233
Dubs of truth
>>
>>64004395

Shadow Hearts: Covenant, the sequal to Shadow Hearts
>>
Shield and Mace
A two-handed sword is a weapon of a fallen hero, whose heart yearns for vengence.
>>
>>64003232
But that's wrong. Homer's works stand among the pinnacle of literature nearly three thousand years after they were written.
>>
>>64013146
pretty sad state of affairs for literature
>>
>>64013168
Hardly. Homer was the inheritor of an extensive tradition of oral poetry extending back to before the Greek alphabet even existed. It's really hard to top something that had centuries of refinement.
>>
>>64015309
homer is worse than fanfiction.net
>>
>>63994120
Hands. Hands can hold any weapon, hands can also be weapon. Best weapon.
>>
>>63997683
Bravery is not a function of firepower.
>>
>>63994120
Sword wielded two-handed.
>>
>>63996715
Longswords are primarily made to be held in two hands. You're thinking of an arming sword. The long in longsword is more than just a word - it denotes a weapon of greater than average length.
>>
>>64011797
The first one is great. (Ignore the sequel and spin-off movies) The OG 1930's short-stories are even better, but are hard to get into for Zoomers.
>>
>>64011797
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKMG-FdCGtM You tell me. This shit came out in 1982 and it's based as fuck.
>>
>>63997682
Berserk is just Conan on a quest for revenge against Elric. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>64016218
Read nigga read
It doesn't say firepower is proportional to bravery, it says that having the firepower allows those with bravery to be able to act. It's removing a dam from a river, not increasing the river's flow, if that metaphor makes sense to you
>>
>>63996433
A+ post
>>
>>64016638
If you aren't willing to act without the firepower, you aren't brave to begin with. Also, since it seems you didn't catch it, Deus Ex.
>>
>>63999264
Stubby, handless arms are manlier
>>
>>64016537
The only similarity between Guts and Conan is that they're both tough. The only similarity between Griffith and Elric is that they both have white hair.
>>
>>63994120
>>63994208
These are the weapons of myth characters from the industrial age
>Rifle
>Pistol (Revolver)
>Knife
>Bow
These are the weapons of myth characters from the middle ages
>Spear
>Sword
>Shield
>Bow
These are the weapons from myth characters in the Classical Age
>Club
>Sling
>Bare Hands/Improvised
>Bow
>>
>>64016537
>>64019017
Guts and Conan have very few similarities. Conan is about the purity and surity of the savage. Conan is notable because he has honor and clarity of thought and purpose, he's free of existential angst. He has strength and the freedom to act. This is constantly juxtaposed against the more civilized characters he encounters. Hence why he is called Conan the Barbarian, and why stories are not told about the time AFTER he becomes a King and ceases to be a Barbarian (no fuck your MMO)

Guts more closely resembles Hercules or Orlando
>>
File: 27-BEOWULF.jpg (77 KB, 1000x563)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
>>63994270
agreed
>>
>>64015583
How so?
>>
Fist
>>
>>63994120
Scottish Claymore.
>>
>>64006141
Good point anon
Protoman used a buster cannon and a shield
>>
>>63996779

What movie is this?
>>
>>63994230

But anon stabbing the soft palate just ends up in a standoff.
>>
>>63994120
his heart on his sleeves
>>
>>64022271
Willow. Its what LoTR wishes it could be.
>>
>>64019061
but anon, you're wrong
>replace bow with shotgun in first category
>second is accurate
>sling with spear in third category
>>
>>64022338
David used a sling.
But the spear is the weapon of heroes even in the age of stone. In the age stone a torch is added.
>>
>>64019061
>classical age people are cavemen
What the fuck am i reading
>>
>>63994120
One's own will.
>>
File: 250px-Cloud_SSBU.png (51 KB, 250x250)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>63994120
Greatsword
>>
>>64023604
isn't that actually half a dozen regular swords?
>>
>>64023616
No, you're thinking of THIS sword.
>>
>>63997368
I love that game and I love you for acknowledging Rau. He had a pretty good arsenal too.
>>
>>64021513
try reading some time retard
>>
>>64003159

Considering his weapon skills, he can and will.
>>
>>64022338
When's the last time anyone did anything heroic with a shotgun? Heroic bowmen arguably still exist today in the form of the Sentinelese whose meager metal industry is devoted entirely towards giving steel-tipped arrowheads toward their otherwise stone age society. They decided making their bows the best they could be was literally top priority.
>>
File: 1498671028883.png (51 KB, 500x517)
51 KB
51 KB PNG
>>64025100
Not even that anon you're talking to, but can you actually form an argument or just shitpost? I really want to see an explanation for your way of thinking, why are Homer's works so low on the bar for you?
>>
File: lolth-certified-hero.png (280 KB, 780x1000)
280 KB
280 KB PNG
>>63994120
two daggers obviously
>>
>>63996930
heroes don't even dodge
they take all attacks head on
>>
>>63994120
The machete and the AK-47
>>
File: elric12.jpg (208 KB, 975x1500)
208 KB
208 KB JPG
>>63994120
Sword and shield is the most logical loadout.

However, if you look at most heroes in fiction, they generally don't have a shield. Aragorn, Conan, Elric, Geralt, Red Sonja, Guts, Fingolfin, Martin the Warrior, Beren... these guys almost always use a longsword, and primarily wield it two-handed (as a longsword is generally supposed to be wielded). Heroes are thought of as dynamic and skilled, and shields are rather boring to most people.

People want their heroes to duck, to weave, to outsmart and outskill their opponents. Hiding behind a shield is practical but not dynamic.
>>
>>63996779
Jesus, who made this terrible looking custome? Fucking unfitted loose shoulderpieces, which are made of the same Mytholon shit as the tassets. The chestpiece, since I wouldn't want to call it any real terms is atrocious as well.

Atleast it fits with the hairstyle.
>>
File: image.jpg (187 KB, 500x686)
187 KB
187 KB JPG
>>64004783
Captain caveman?
>>
>>63997464
That why real heroes pick up two guns.
>>
>>64025246
look at any wild west movie or story. if they arent using a knife, rifle or pistol, its a double barrel shotgun.
>>
>>64025246
Hobo With a Shotgun
>>
>>64025285
lol what a fag
>>
>>64025246
first, >implying real life
second, Literally every western ever.
>>
>>64025246
Ash Williams
>>
>>64025285
You can be pretty much guaranteed that anyone who would make such a hyperbolic claim of Homer's works is a shitposter. That's not to say there are no criticisms of them to be made, but even his critics tend to agree on his significance to literature.
>>
File: 1540744656719.jpg (206 KB, 850x601)
206 KB
206 KB JPG
Fists. Lots of fists.

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.