[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1496731099080.png (2.37 MB, 1400x1660)
2.37 MB
2.37 MB PNG
Equipment edition!

>To make cards, download MSE for free from here:
http://magicseteditor.boards.net/
>OR
>Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here:
https://mtg.design/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
https://pastebin.com/2AFqrY68

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Color Pie mechanics
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Primer: NWO and Redflagging
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/community-forums/creativity/custom-card-creation/578926-primer-nwo-redflagging

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
http://www.artstation.com/
https://cgsociety.org/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>63833806
>>
File: RC.jpg (114 KB, 744x1039)
114 KB
114 KB JPG
Maybe I should ditch this card. I'll never find a good painted art for it.
>>
>>63911391
Try searching western book cover art. They usually have dudes with guns on them. Normally it's pistols and repeaters, but you might get lucky.
>>
File: Double Barrel Shotgun.png (258 KB, 375x523)
258 KB
258 KB PNG
>>
>>63911612
Anon, please give me link to the image please.
>>
>>63911612
Is that from Lorado?
>>
>>63890011
Tweak cost numbers.
>>63890147
This thing breaks so many things.
>>63892764
I think 0 should not be in harmony. It's parasitic, but it's probably fine for an insular set. Also consider making every harmony card into a permanent, and give every permanent with harmony ying or yang.
>>63893031
Literally energy, energy was cool, sure why not.
>>63897516
Swamp one should not get itself.
>>63898133
Modes 2 and 3 are a bit too similar for my tastes, but it's a fine card.
>>63898326
>>63898692
Not feeling any of them
>>63898700
1. Also the damn 2nd ability should be sorcery speed.
>>63898770
yea yea cool should be UNC though. Maybe you can get away with it.
>>63900339
>>63900734
I think you could have this in black if your set required it.
>>63901585
Yeah not really feeling it.
>>63901780
>lets put hexproof on this card that enables degenerate combos
Hmm yea nah.
>>63902698
Spire at UNC seems weak, no?
>>63903272
Not sure about the first strike part. otherwise why not.
>>63904270
sure sure yea. I'd tweak those to
"Draw two, lose two life"
"Target player sacrifices, gain 2 life"
>>63904785
>01
Maybe 2/2? It's already got quite a bit. Compare to Watcher in the Mist.
>02
This is just a 3 mana 4/4 Trample with an extremely slight downside.
>03
Compare abilities 1 and 3.
>04
Could cost 2.
>05
This reads
2, tap target creature you control: Deal 4 damage to any target. I hope you can see how that's not okay. There's a Kamigawa equipment that's ninja related that's fairly close to this. Also Heavy Arbalest and Viridian Longbow.
>01-05
I'd tack on scry 1 or some small other bonus.
>>63906963
Hmm. Damn strong.
>>63907732
Nice :D. Rares don't need reminder text.
>>63909351
There's a card that does the same thing except for only colorless creatures, so it's probably undercosted.
>>63910241
Yea sure.
>>
>>63912773
Scry 1 on taplands made Theros duals rare.
Maybe I'll add "look at the top card of your library" without manipulation.
>>
File: Double Barrel Shotgun.png (249 KB, 375x523)
249 KB
249 KB PNG
>>63911391
Are you looking for something in this vein?
>>
Tweaked UB charm.
>>63912773
>02
What if it didn't untap during untap step?
>05
Now it has {3} activation cost to BLAM something.
>>
>>63913089
Something like this but I prefer focus on the double barrel like >>63911612
>>
>>63913074
The reason why constructed-grade lands are generally at rare is to sell packs. This isn't soapboxing, they've admitted it themselves. Scry 1 at UNC is fine development-wise.
>>63913107
I think even at 5: Deal 4 damage is way too strong. Heavy Arbalest should be your starting point for numbers, and that card was borderline playable itself.
>>
>>63913107
I still think this is absurdly pushed. Just the first 2 abilities on their own are so strong.
>Draw 2 cards and lose 2 life.
Succumb to Temptation 1BB
Notion Rain, with added Surveil 2, 1UB

>Target player sacrifices a creature
Diabolic edict 1B, generally considered overpowered. Arguably better at 2B
Away (Far // Away), 2B
To the Slaughter, 2B
>And you gain 3 life
Dragon's tongue invocation, 2B + reveal/control a dragon, 4 life.
Arguably worth 1BB or 3B

>Gain control of target nonland permanent with converted mana cost 1 or less.
This is effectively UB trinket removal, with the upside of strealing creatures too. NOT attached to an enchantment. Probably UU at the least.

This is way too versatile, heavily undercosted, and would likely be a 4 of staple of every modern UBx deck.
>>
>>63913248
Should I increase Equip cost or activation cost?
>lands
Oh, that's excellent.
>>
>>63913314
Ok, what about
>Scry 1 and draw a card.
>Target player saccs a creature.
>Third mode stays the same.
>>
If this one is still OP, I'll just make it cost 4.
>>
>>63912773
>Tweak cost numbers.
Which cost? Card cost or ability cost?
>>
>>63913457
Change "if it has" to "with"
>>
>>63912773
>Literally energy, energy was cool, sure why not
He actually hates making his counters work just like energy, and wants them to be like poison with intrinsic rules attached. I think currently its that each player mills themselves on upkeep equal to the number of insight counters they have.
>>
>>63913922
Right, I forgot you can't change CMC so the wording of Hydroblast isn't necessary.
>>
>>63911637
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/GB1OW
>>
>>63913997
Well, that wording is used in Fatal Push, but not because the CMC could change, but because the ability of Fatal Push can.
>>
File: UC05 Heavy Shotgun.jpg (133 KB, 744x1039)
133 KB
133 KB JPG
>>63914493
Ring of Aladin is a {8} costing artifact that deals 4 damage after you tap and pay {8}, but it's oooold. I think {6} and tapping a creature is ok.
>>
>>63914568
Uh, did you mean to reply to someone else?
>>
>>63912773
>There's a card that does the same thing except for only colorless creatures, so it's probably undercosted.
Fair enough, but that card is colorless and this is gold. How much do you think the one-sided Fight effect by itself would cost on a RG sorc?
>>
File: RW02 Hillside Pilgrims.jpg (175 KB, 744x1039)
175 KB
175 KB JPG
>>63914662
yes... >_<
Once that shotgun is tweaked properly it's time for rares like this one. The best thing about them is that I can do art challenge for them if I don't have clear idea for abilities.
So, should it be lifelink or vigilance?
>>
File: Remote Control Magic.jpg (108 KB, 744x1039)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>
>>63914733
"Too much" for unconditional. What about only creatures with power 4 or more? Would still be a slam dunk, but require some more nuance while retaining a better flavor feel.
>>
No changes from last time.

>>63915183
Eh, I could see that working as a design, but I don't really want this to only work for creatures with high power. Maybe an attack trigger?
>>
>>63914807
Great card, one of my favourites.
>>
File: rWUB.jpg (3.4 MB, 3726x3121)
3.4 MB
3.4 MB JPG
Time for monocolour rares! First batch is WUB.
>>
>>63917058
>RW03
Detaining on block is nearly worthless outside of multiplayer.

>RW04
Feel like it should be 3 mana to cast.

>RW05
I'd change it to
>[...] Destroy all other creatures [...]
I think it makes it more clear.

>RU01
>can't

>RB02
>Exile target creature card with converted mana cost X or less from a graveyard.
Why just Black and not Black in addition to its other colors? That's how these effects normally work.

>RB04
Isn't pinging everything a R ability?
>>
>>63917301
>RW03
>Detaining on block is nearly worthless outside of multiplayer.
It's because I want Duel ability word to be as consistent as possible.
>RW04
Really? It does nothing the turn you summon it.
>RW05, RU01
Thanks
>RB02
Because it saves space and Eternalise as a precedent.
>RB04
The Nightmare has lifelink, so it's drain. This way is way more elegant than writing out "you gain life equal to creatures damaged this way" or whatever.
>>
Made some changes to Hedam and decided to make a cycle of faction second-in-command legends. Not sure on some of these balance-wise. They're meant to enable or power up their faction's set mechanic. Let me know what you think.
>>
>>63917807
>It's because I want Duel ability word to be as consistent as possible.
Well, you might want to pick another ability. Delayed Flicker? Maybe Banish (the new O-Ring ability)?

>Really? It does nothing the turn you summon it.
Just not comfortable seeing repeatable Equipment tutor on a 1 mana permanent.

>Because it saves space and Eternalise as a precedent.
There's barely any difference in the amount of space, at least when I did a mockup (including flavor text). And if you want to save space, just make them Zombies without adding Zombie to the type. That's what Hour of Eternity, God-Pharoah's Gift, and The Scarab God do to approximate Eternalize.
>>
File: Adjective Man.jpg (38 KB, 375x523)
38 KB
38 KB JPG
Behold! It's the All-New, All-Different, Amazing, Astonishing, Avenging, Dark, Despicable, Extraordinary, Fearless, Fantastic, Goddamn, Immortal, Incredible, Indestructible, Infamous, International, Invincible, Irredeemable, Legendary, Mighty, Maximum, Minimum, Radioactive, Rampaging, Savage, Secret, Sensational, Sinister, Spectacular, Superior, Totally Awesome, Unbeatable, Unbelievable, Unstoppable, Uncanny, Unworthy, Young Adjective Man!!
>>
>>63918115
O-Ring ability is on WU legend rare.

What if it costs {1}{W}? This way tutor wouldn't happen till third turn.
Also remember my set doesn't have batterskull.

Is colour that much more important than type? But ok.
>>
>>63918789
>What if it costs {1}{W}?
I guess? Eh, get other people's feedback.

>Is colour that much more important than type?
It's not that I think one's more important than the other, it's the consistency I care about. Either have them both override the color/type, or make them in addition.
>>
Z-list Green Goblin lackey. Has a modified Goblin Glider and a big axe. Sac ability is there just because I thought it would be interesting. And it kinda sorta fits "headsman = executioner" flavor.
>>
bump
>>
>>63920851
Seems solid. Nothing much else to add.
>>
File: Look Up in the Sky4.jpg (55 KB, 375x523)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
Pretty certain this one is done.

>>63923252
Yeah, figured. I'm becoming more comfortable with doing these "boring legends".

But I have to ask, where is everyone? Did everyone else go back to school today too?
>>
>>63925222
That's the case for me, at least. Probably for others, as well.
>>
>>63925222
calling people "retards" for trying to build Esper Control on week -2 or sth
>>
>>63925296
Sorry, what?
>>
>>63925222
I didn't make RGZC rares yet, so I have nothing to post besides this >>63917058
>>
File: The Mortal Banner.jpg (98 KB, 752x523)
98 KB
98 KB JPG
Read Immortal Hulk. Shit's crazy. Name for Banner kinda sucks, but I couldn't think of anything else.

>>63925823
Already gave you feedback for those cards. Looking forward to the rest.
>>
>>63919129
Ok I tried to use template you recommended (like in that M19's Raise the Dead variant) but then the ability text covers up the p/t box because of difference of two letters' width, so I'll stick to Embalm/Eternalize version that overrides colour.
Trivia I've found: there are zombifyung effects that add black and Zombie, effects that replace colours with Black but add Zombie, but no effects that add black but replace creature types with just Zombie.

My set has no cards caring about coloyrs anyway. Few cares about types though.
>>
>>63926467
Banner the Mortal?
Cool card though, mechanics are tied with flavour very well. Did you make "normal" Hulk card too?
Much better than that Enchantress.
>>
File: Bruce Banner.jpg (101 KB, 752x523)
101 KB
101 KB JPG
>>63927207
I've been on and off with normal Bruce/Hulk. Dunno when I last did this, I don't think I've touched the card since my hard drive crash beyond reconstructing the last thing I had previously. Regardless, I haven't worked on it in a while.

When you say "Enchantress" do you mean the character called Enchantress, or a card that interacts with enchantments?
>>
>>63927153
Or you could just use The Scarab God wording. I just don't see why you're so dead set on hardcoding the Eternalize wording when even Wizards avoids doing that.
>>
>>63927364
That flying green woman who got denied art contract.
>>63927393
Current version fits nicely the text box which pleases my sense of aesthetics. Also nonzero cards care about being Gunslinger, Rogue or Warrior.
And I checked and WotC don't really avoid that. There are dozen or so cards that add Zombie type while overriding colours with black. I think Scarab God uses short version because it already has a lot of text.
>>
>>63927597
>That flying green woman who got denied art contract.
Took me a while to realize you did mean the character called Enchantress. I thought you were talking about a mG card with Flying that I didn't have art for. Anyway, this is the latest version of her. Buffed T by 1. Unfortunately, it seems all my tinkering with her didn't pay off, because this iteration is nearly the same as my first. Oh well. Guess I should've gone with my intuition.

>There are dozen or so cards that add Zombie type while overriding colours with black.
Really? Could you name some (that don't use Eternalize, obv.)? The only time I recall seeing this was Dralnu's Crusade.
>>
File: Double Slam-Fire.png (194 KB, 375x523)
194 KB
194 KB PNG
>>
>>63927742
Seems like they're all from Amonkhet.
Oh well.
>card
I know she should have flying but the text box would look so nicely without.
>>
>>63927742
https://scryfall.com/search?q=o%3Ablack+o%3Azombie+-o%3Atoken&unique=cards&as=grid&order=name
Rise From the Grave is what I always think of since it was in multiple core sets, but there have been several others.
(Not all from the link match the criteria, but it's an easy filter)
>>
File: Stormy Phantom Lady.jpg (46 KB, 375x523)
46 KB
46 KB JPG
>>63928477
>Seems like they're all from Amonkhet.
I double facepalmed. But whatever, it's not hugely important anyway.

>Enchantress
Sorry, keeping it. And I think I'll move it over to the finished folder.

Next up is... how about Phantom Lady? Think I got a good response to her last time. Teleportation technology = Flicker.

But seriously, are there any CO characters/concepts you guys want to see? Let me know and I'll see what I can do. Just don't ask for an entire team/group of people.

>>63928440
It's nice that you can at least keep it through combat if you lose. Not sure how to judge. I feel like there should be a lower cost in the cast cost and a greater cost in the Equip, since due to how it works, it's unlikely you're going to Equip it more than once or twice.

>>63928585
Only one of those cards does what he mentioned (turn a creature Black by overriding its colors, but adding Zombie to its existing types), and I already mentioned it, Dralnu's Crusade. Every other time the ability shows up, it's "black Zombie in addition to its other colors and types" which adds Black to the colors instead of overriding them.
>>
>>63917934
I'll throw my white rares into the ring as well; just finished up the first draft.
>>63928703
I'm wondering at the lack of flying. The body is unimpressive, but the tempo ability is really cool.
>>
File: download.jpg (229 KB, 1125x523)
229 KB
229 KB JPG
I have so many cards that I think are close to being done, I think I'll start posting multiples more often if these work out.

>Nyssa Raatko
Ra's al Ghul's other daughter. Crazy evil, she captured her sister, Talia, and continually killed and revived her to brainwash her, which is what the ETB ability is for. Last ability is having herself revived in the Lazarus Pit, which I've put on a few other cards too (Ra's himself, Talia, and Jason Todd).

>OMAC Unit
Part of a system designed to monitor and eliminate metas, they can adapt themselves to overcome their foes. Very hard to accurately represent, so here the P/T buff is supposed to show that they become a little more powerful than whoever they defeat. Not sure if the flavor comes across well, but I like the mechanic.

>Jay Garrick, the Flash
Might find different art for this. Golden Age Flash, and the very first. He's older, so I gave him a lower P, and the ability is supposed to encourage having a large number of creatures, which reflects how he's more or less the Team Dad of the JSA (a more relaxed superteam compared to the JLA).

>>63929744
>RW01
Interesting tax. UR ability feels out of place to me. Would've imagined it would be something to help you cast noncreature spells or get noncreature cards when you need them.

>RW04
Hoses tons of creatures. Throws me off that it's anti-monocolor, but is also monocolor. Seems hard to build around outside of hybrid creatures. Do you have any hybrid cards in your set? Real hybrid that is, where the cards can be cast entirely with one color, not the weird gold hybrid cards.

The other two I think are fine.

>I'm wondering at the lack of flying. The body is unimpressive, but the tempo ability is really cool.
Are you saying Stormy should have Flying? Dunno if she has that in lore, would have to look that up.
>>
File: Ruinous Totem.png (228 KB, 375x523)
228 KB
228 KB PNG
Got a card I felt was vaguely interesting as a sort of hot-political-potato. I don't actually know if I want to add the Crown of Doom style backlash protection to this or not, since it's such a low cost overall. If allowed to stick around for some reason, it just gets steadily worse on everyone's resources as keeping it for any length of time is a ever-worsening prospect.
>>
File: Coin of Fortunes.png (227 KB, 375x523)
227 KB
227 KB PNG
>>63930856
Split these up because I wound up making another one before going to bed, and didn't think to join them ahead of time. The much happier cousin to the political hot potato, in the form of a powerful mana rock that has to be shared to be used.
>>
File: Fading Hope.png (254 KB, 375x523)
254 KB
254 KB PNG
Still not sure if I want to try to salvage this set or scrap it and move on; lessons learned. It's hard to throw away all this work, but I've been made aware of a lot of issues, and many of them are brass tacks problems, like weak archetypes and lack of several core features necessary for draft/playability, and it seems like trying to wrestle a workable set out of this pile of cards might be a bit more than daunting. So I'm looking for a bit of advice, or just anyone's two cents who's familiar with what I have so far at all. Might be nice to sleep on it and come back to some thoughts that aren't my own. Thanks in advance.

>>63930890
>>63930856
I like cards like Totem. They are fun in multiplayer games where you build around them. Would be funny in say a creatureless control deck or something with a wincon like combo mill. Can't sac what you don't have. I have made stuff that works like Coin, and I like it as well, though the thought that playing against someone who can give themselves hexproof makes it not work at all made me chuckle a bit.

>>63930123
Nyssa feels weird to me because the first ability feels like it wants to be on a BR card, and the second is solidly BG or B. OMAC's mechanic would make for an interesting "white devour" thing along the lines of Champion a <thing> and such. Lot of ways you could spin it. I feel like given Banisher Priest it should have double white in the cost but I could be wrong. Jay doesn't need to be white does he? I mean he can be; that's fine. Just doesn't feel like there's too much there that needs it. It's also odd that his anthem includes himself since often times it's "other creatures" with this kinda stuff. I guess that's just an expectations thing.
>>
>>63917934
I like these
>>
File: harmony concepts.jpg (242 KB, 1125x523)
242 KB
242 KB JPG
Some additional ideas for the harmony mechanic. I kinda like the third one myself. It feels like it'd be the simplest to track but it also incentivizes gold cards I feel, so making play consistently might be a bit awkward in terms of draft. Middle is my least favorite but who knows, maybe there's something there I'm not seeing.

>>63929744
I dig the tax on 01, it feels like the UR love is there without even looking at the rest of the card. I agree that the second ability is kind of disjointed. Consider maybe making it do the flashback thing for additional self-synergy? 02 is probably fine but it's very safe. 03 is probably fine given Cathar's Companion but it does feel like it could be annoying in Constructed. Dunno for sure. 04 feels weird in that I think draft wants it to cost 2WW but constructed wants it to maybe even cost more than this, since it's so easily built around. Not sure how to gauge overall.

>>63918638
This not being "other Legendary creature and being a 2/2 feels a bit strange, but other than the obvious tracking issues that could crop up, it's kinda endearing.
>>
>>63928703
Dunno, maybe Midnighter?
>>63917934
I like Hadem the most, but I'm a sucker for tribal synergies. Then it's black knight one.
The blue cleric got me thinking. Is it possible to have 4 Treasure, target something with CMC equal 4, then pay for it with those Treasures? IIRC, activated abilities only check "if"s once.
>>63929744
So each monocolour gets a one guy from each faction then a "neutral" rare?
Last time I had monoW exploring each turn, I was told it's too easy card advantge in white. That's why all my monoW cards from exploring faction only explore once - when entering the battlefield - but they care about +1/+1 counters.
>>63931436
Well if you hate, loathe working on it then you should stop, but if you are just mildly nonplused, then I'd like to see it finished because Dinosaurs and Cavemen is my jam.
>>
>>63931857
If you go with the third, add "Lands are colorless" to the reminder text.
>>
File: CW05 Ehrmi Bladewhirl.png (239 KB, 375x523)
239 KB
239 KB PNG
>>63930123
>>63931857
The UR ability is meant to pair with enkindle cards. Each monocolored rare legend pairs somehow with its faction's mechanic.
>>63932338
>I was told it's too easy card advantge in white.
I disagree with that notion at rare.
>>
Dragon ersatz for the Wild West set. I decided that each colour will get a 4MM fatty at rare, this is the Red one.
>>63932839
Well, at least in my case, restrictions bred a creativity.
>>
>>63932839
>Each monocolored rare legend pairs somehow with its faction's mechanic.
So... you gave it a 5 mana ability to save 2 mana on your next noncreature spell?
>>
>>63933399
>Dragon ersatz for the Wild West set.
What, no Thunderbirds?
>>
>>63934473
In addition to flying and double strike on a body, yeah. That's excellent late game in limited.
>>
>>63934494
THANKS! This is so much better.
>>
>>63933399
Don't get me wrong; I'm right there with you on the creative importance of restrictions. That's the entire point and draw of set design--card design within tight boundaries, following skeleton restrictions and aligning with specific themes. But those restrictions shouldn't be based on faulty assumptions, and saying that white can't get card advantage even at rare is faulty. White is listed as tertiary at drawing cards in the Color Pie 2017 article and has several modern precedents of repeatable card advantage at rare: Mentor of the Meek, Weathered Wayfarer, Dawn of Hope, Kor Spiritdancer, Mesa Enchantress (reprinted outside of Planar Chaos), Puresteel Paladin, Sram, Stone Haven Outfitter...and those are just the card-drawers; white also generates card advantage though specific tutoring (Stoneforge Mystic, etc.) or the return of permanents from the grave. Now, white is listed as secondary at "friendly to lands," loves attacking and combat, and loves +1/+1 counters. Taking that into account, there's no color pie-related reason why white shouldn't get repeatable explore at rare.
>Card
I'm glad the other anon mentioned thunderbirds and that you decided to use them. Buffalo Spirit just doesn't have that same dragon excitement, and thunderbird gets much closer. I'm excited to see where you go with it.
>>
>>63931436
>Nyssa feels weird to me because the first ability feels like it wants to be on a BR card, and the second is solidly BG or B.
The first ability is actually mB. B can do Haste by itself just fine, after all. But you bring up a good point, and unfortunately I don't have a good answer. I have no idea why the card has G in it. Maybe it was needed in a previous iteration, but if it was I have no recollection or record of it. The previous iteration of this I have now is different only in the costs. Anyway, I'll try mB and see how that goes.

>OMAC's mechanic would make for an interesting "white devour" thing along the lines of Champion a <thing> and such. Lot of ways you could spin it. I feel like given Banisher Priest it should have double white in the cost but I could be wrong.
It's a better Bishop of Binding, but I don't know if it needs double W because of that.

>Jay doesn't need to be white does he? I mean he can be; that's fine. Just doesn't feel like there's too much there that needs it.
Wasn't sure if R could do the effect by itself, since as you point out, it's basically an Anthem. The only Anthem-like buffs for attackers I remember seeing in R were all +N/+0. But if it works in RW I'd like to just keep it there.

>card
Looks good.

As far as your set goes, it's up to you. It is your set after all. But personally, I think you should continue with what you have. You do have good ideas, you just need some direction. But I mean, even if you did decide to just start over, it would probably be easier to just erase the card text of the cards you have so far and begin again with the names and art in place than it would be to start from nothing.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (245 KB, 1500x523)
245 KB
245 KB JPG
>>63932338
>Dunno, maybe Midnighter?
Oh damn. I tried him a while ago and felt like I didn't get anywhere with him. I actually tried all of the Authority due to one anon and turned out to hate all of them (well, maybe not the city guy). Which is why I said no teams this time around. Oh well, I'm the one who offered. Anyway, here are some versions I pulled from the archive. They all have the same base idea, that he uses his famous powers to predict anything/anyone weaker than him and just avoid the damage or destroy the threat. Prowess because that's usually how I represent martial arts. Might have to hardcode Prowess since it seems to be on the way out. And ignore Warrior, it's from a previous design philosophy I had. I'll replace it with Hero now.
>>
File: RR01 Thunderbird.jpg (143 KB, 744x1039)
143 KB
143 KB JPG
>>63936663
For now I have this. I had other ideas for the second ability, but an embodiment of thunder just asks for simple target burn to evoke striking things with lightning.
One of the rejected ideas was rummaging or impulsive draw, since the thunderbird was related to visions in Winnebago lore, it ended up in flavour text.

I've made conscious choice of using "reflexive trigger" here with "When you do" instead of "If you do". As for why, it is better explained in this article:
https://blogs.magicjudges.org/rulestips/2018/12/dream-eaters-reflexive-trigger/

Finding art was a problem. There's not much of thunderbird art, so of course there's less gorgeous ones. And even if it was nice, it didn't work in a card frame. I settled for pic related since it conveys that the bird is BIG even if the head blocking the sun isn't as clear as I wanted to.
>>
>>63936891
IMO 7>5>6>4
>>
>>63936925
Reflexive triggers are an absolute godsend for the alt-cost burn abilities (discard, sac, exile/reveal the top card) because it makes the wording so much simpler and the ability more intuitive.

As far as art goes, I found this, which I think I'll make a card out of. Maybe an Elder Thunderbird?
https://www.deviantart.com/joelakerman/art/Thunderbird-289612822
Anyway, looks like there are some more pieces in the related pieces (on the right of the page) that might work well.

As for the card itself, it seems very powerful. Reminds me a lot of Glorybringer, except it's a lot easier to ping with. I'd say reduce damage to 3 or restrict the damage to only hit creatures.
>>
File: Untitled.png (460 KB, 771x759)
460 KB
460 KB PNG
Well, this looks familiar. Totally see why it was picked though, it's a great design.
>>
>>63937046
Right, I nerfed it to nonland discard just right after posting it.
I'd rather have it only hit creatures (it even works with flavour of heavenly being striking groundlings) than disconnecting the burn and the attack power.
>>
File: Crested Thunderbird.jpg (44 KB, 375x523)
44 KB
44 KB JPG
Pump might be a bit weird since R doesn't do Flying that much, but Wizards did make Dragon Tempest. Honestly just wanted to make it so it could pump other Thunderbirds without making it tied to creature type so it could be useful with other creatures (ie. Dragons).
>>
File: ezoc card new.jpg (123 KB, 744x1039)
123 KB
123 KB JPG
so i finally did my custom card and this time it has the beleren font!
also: does anyone know an alignment test online thatisnt the bogstandard one? id like to know where this plainswalker falls on the chart. i think he would be lawfulneutral
>>
>>63938552
I swear on all that is holy, that one day, I will find it... I will find out why this card has G.
>>
>>63938552
>Rare Planeswalker
>with Wither
>(This deals damage
>gains an Emblem
>"at the beginning
>this deals
>one damage
>to you"
>distribute
>on any number
>target creatures

Also as >>63938727 says, not green.
>>
>>63938552
I remember you.
The character may have Green philosophy or methods, but this card is monoBlack. I know Wizards put unnecessary colours on planeswalker but this is too much.
But maaaybe if he created 1/2 Spider tokens with reach and wither on the plus... and the ultimate removed any -1/-1 from your creatures... then I think it could be BG.
Unrelated advice: work on your capitalisation. Look up on Gatherer how Wizards uses capital letters.
>>
RRRR
Discard all the cards in your hand, then add R for each card discarded this way and draw that many cards.

How do I word this correctly?
>>
Blue rares, first draft!
>>63936925
I agree that the ping needs adjusted in some way. Definitely feels more dragon-like now, which is great.
>>63937084
Repeated creation of 4/4 flyers feels more like mythic territory, even on a 4RRR creature. The pump feels fine to me as a flavorful extra for a red rare, and is just a worse version of Moonveil's ability.
>>
>>63939398
Meant for
>>63937600
Also, updated white rare. Now with converge!
>>
>>63938727
the G is purely flavor since hes golgari besides his ability to make insects. he was probably way more green back when he was a golgari farmer wich is important to his backstory
>>63938907
im not sure what you are trying to say here. probably because im so new to magic. i just made this planeswalker because hes my character in a pen and paper rpg me and my friends play.
>>63938971
would it also work if i made his mana those split manas? so he costs 2 and then twice a greenblack splitmana? also im not sure how to do that splitmana thing with the editor im using (MTG.design because the one in the OP was wierd and didnt let me use any font but arial)
>>
>>63938988
why would that be red? sounds black or maybe white to me.
>>
>>63939638
How is a wheel plus a ritual even close to white?
>>
>>63939751
it reminds me of this greater good thing white stands for. small average joes giving their lives in masses for higher ideals and such. thats why it sounds abit white. it sounds like either an evil or selfless thing to do based on flavor
>>
>>63939914
Mechanical and color pie rules almost always trump flavor. You can use flavor to justify just about anything in any color.
>>
>>63939398
RU02 loses Prowess. Is it intended?
>>
>>63939619
MtG.Design has "syntax help" button right above the text box editor.
Also don't use split mana just to justify shoehorning in Green. Just make abilities Green.
>>
>>63939914
How the fuck does discarding cards represent small average joes giving their lives?
>>
>>63940122
they die
>>
>>63940138
discarding cards is not equivalent to death in magic. in the flavor of the game cards are spells players cast, if anything its more related to memory or knowledge
>>
>>63940039
Yeah. Enkindle can enable the copy ability by making noncreatures cheaper, but you lose it once you copy.
>>
File: createcard (2).jpg (184 KB, 400x560)
184 KB
184 KB JPG
First card I made for a enemy color tribal set, for wizards. Not sure if I'll continue with it but it could still fit in an edh deck
>>
>>63939619
>the G is purely flavor
That is not a reason to make something green. A card's mechanics should always justify its colors. Also if you've noticed, none of the planeswalkers ever printed have a guild watermark. If you could walk between planes, why would you give a shit about an organization confined to a single plane?
>im not sure what you are trying to say here
That's a list of every wording error on your card. There are a lot. Read actual cards and learn how to word things properly.
>would it also work if i made his mana those split manas?
No, that would make it even worse. A golgari hybrid card needs to be something that could be printed as both a monoblack card and a monogreen card.
>>
how about this?

blank slate
4 3black 3blue
restart the game and all players exile half their deck after shuffeling
>>
>>63939619
>the G is purely flavor
UGH

Does anyone have that image with that U-shifted Lightning Bolt?
>>
>>63939398
>Repeated creation of 4/4 flyers feels more like mythic territory, even on a 4RRR creature. The pump feels fine to me as a flavorful extra for a red rare, and is just a worse version of Moonveil's ability.
Glad you like it. Started at mythic, but I wasn't sure and lowered to rare. Might change pump to just R to activate.

>RU01
Would've expected an ability that draws cards, but OK.

>RU02
Up the body or give it evasion so it at least has a chance of triggering Enkindle.

>RU03
Double X just to get a 4/4? How about Awaken X?

>RU04
Didn't Wizards do this one already?
>>
>>63939427
Seems much better now.
>>
>>63938971
>>63938727
i actually just had a different idea to show green. what if i remove the ability to make insects from his +1 and instead make it "remove a -1/-1 from a creature" or something along the line? so it shows less of his insect thing but instead shows that he can regenerate just as well as decay things. thats pretty green right?
>>
gotta sleep now but while im gone can some of you maybe pitch some ideas how to make the +1 of >>63938552 more green?
>>
File: RR04 Treasure Hunter.jpg (161 KB, 744x1039)
161 KB
161 KB JPG
Retake on the Treasure Hunter
>>
>>63932338
I wouldn't say I loathe it but the idea of having to reset the skeleton, lay it out, parse the cards to see what I have already that fits, modify what doesn't, and fill the gaps does sound like more work than starting over, but by the same token there's sentiment here for me and there's something to be said about actually finishing a set for real instead of "I made 190 cards yay" consolation prizes. Maybe I'll tinker with both projects at once to help with burnout.

>>63932348
I could also just make it nonland permanents, even if that messes with land animation and such. Would save a few words too.

>>63932839
>meant to pair with Enkindle
So does my suggestion, which is why I made it. But hitting face is probably more useful to have in draft.

>>63936804
Some direction and a LOT of revamping. It's going to be rough. And I have a TON of art suited to making the set so I'm not too worried about that, and I have tribe names and stuff as well as what I recall of the flavor so I think I have the basics for at least keeping everything feeling roughly the same as it already does. I just need to fill a lot of gaps and actually build archetypes for three of my colors. And add artifacts apparently. Just not artifact creatures; those aren't something I want in the set at all for flavor reasons. Though perhaps that's not a good idea if it makes draft harder due to the loss of the colorless creature options. Hm.

>>63943679
The need for him to be equipped is lost on me; must be a flavor thing I missed. Seems sufficiently red otherwise; sacrificing the long term for a boost in the short term.
>>
>>63943679
Eh, not really a fan. I think I get the flavor though. He mines land to find Treasure, but only if he has tools. Not sure what to do with it though. Sorry to be so picky.

Wait, maybe just get rid of the Equipment clause and change it to exile lands from the graveyard.
>>
>>63944046
>So does my suggestion, which is why I made it. But hitting face is probably more useful to have in draft.
Yeah, school just started back up and I'm swamped, so I haven't been replying very thoroughly to feedback. My bad. I'll definitely consider your suggestion.
>>
>>63945548
No sweat man. Wasn't trying to be insistent.
>>
>>63944174
The only faction capable of filling graveyard with lands in my set is UB one.
>>
File: Great Thunderbird.jpg (130 KB, 744x1039)
130 KB
130 KB JPG
V2. Raised rarity, reduced cost of pump by 1.
>>
>>63947590
Oh wait. I forgot I used a different name in MTG.Design. Should be "Crested" instead of "Great". Unless you guys think "Great" is better, I guess.
>>
>>63947785
I like “Greater” personally.
>>
>>63948092
Hey, that works. Thanks.
>>
>>63941018
This card seems dangerous to me.
It’s a 2 cmc counterspell that you can Chord of Calling for, and hit off CoCo.
That’s not mentioning that it’s easier to recur creatures than instants.
I would cost this at at least 1UR, and probably 2UR to start.
>>
File: download.jpg (246 KB, 1125x523)
246 KB
246 KB JPG
>Hiro Okamura, Toyman
Kid super-genius who occasionally does work for the JSA. Specializes in robotics, and once created a giant Superman-Batman composite robot to destroy a Kryptonite meteor heading towards Earth. It wasn't the most practical, but it was the most fun. Anyway, ability here is mostly based on that. Creating a giant Construct based on the creatures you have, and sorta combining the best of both worlds.

>Karen Beecher, Bumblebee
I saw Bumblebee recently, and it's pretty mediocre. I'd give it a solid "OK". It's very generic and cliched, and you can see the plot coming a mile away. It's so safe, I'm surprised the weapons weren't all Nerf brand. I have no idea why people were hyping it up when they saw the trailer for it. Just seems like a bunch of people who hated the Bay movies and thought anything different would have to be better. Moving on, this Bumblebee is tiny. She flies, she shoots beams, she avoids attacks, it's all pretty standard. Tried to keep the stats and costs low to reflect that she's tiny. I pretty sure she wasn't always like that, but I don't remember much about her. Ping ability doesn't do a whole lot for her, but it's supposed to double as support for other creatures.

>Jason Woodrue, Seeder
Previously just a college professor who taught botany to Pamela Isley, then later turned her into the plant-human hybrid Poison Ivy. One of the more previous DCU reboots made him an acolyte of The Green, the collected power of all plants, thus gaining some control over plants. He didn't get a whole lot of screen time though, so the abilities here are just what I thought would be interesting. I wanted to make him a "toolbox" creature that could have multiple uses, which I think I did well. Previously the first two abilities were one ability, but people seemed to have a hard time understanding that when Plant mana was spent to cast a creature spell, the counter went on the Plant and not the cast creature. So it was split up to make that more clear.
>>
File: Ode to Ambition.jpg (108 KB, 744x1039)
108 KB
108 KB JPG
>>
>>63949007
I just realized that Toyman and Seeder are pretty similar. Total coincidence though.
>>
bump
>>
>>63949007
>artificer
>not blue
Make the contrast have flying and slap some {U} mana costs there.
>wasp lady
Good!
>>
>>63951040
*make the Construct have flying, not contrast.
>>
>>63949012
I feel like this could be a bit easier to cast at the very least, since for one more mana you can just straight tutor any card. Maybe 2B?
>>
File: RR04 Betrothal.jpg (152 KB, 744x1039)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Dunno if it should be rare or mythic. According to MaRo, "headscratchers" should be rare.
I really wanted to use this art and have effect similar to Cathartic Reunion, but on rare level instead of common.
>>
File: RR04 Betrothal.jpg (154 KB, 744x1039)
154 KB
154 KB JPG
>>63952263
Or maybe it should get you at least two cards since it's only for a turn.
>>
>>63951040
>>artificer
>>not blue
Kaladesh. Not to mention R getting more artifact interaction leading to having Artificers, and W having creatures that interact with Equipment which are Artificers.

>wasp lady
Thanks.

Any opinion on Seeder?

>>63952263
>>63952429
Light Up the Stage and Commune with Lava allow you to cast the exiled cards until the end of your next turn, so maybe that?
>>
>>63952892
Yeah but Green artificer?
Seeder is ok, seems perfect for silly Plant tribal Commander.

But do those spells allow you to cast cards without paying for their mana costs?
>>
>>63952429
This feels bulk rare to me.
>>
Bumping with Green rare.
>>
>>63954847
That is pushed.
Almost feels like a mythic, just from the impact it’d have on limited.
>>
>>63954846
I know that by the time Red hits 6 mana it has no hand, but I was worried about making it cheaper. Maybe {3}{R}{R}? 6 and 5 mana is difference of 3 turns statistically.
>>
>>63954887
What are the threshold mana costs for the pushed status?
>>
>>63954847
So, a better Rubblehulk? At the same CMC, despite not being gold. Uh, yeah. Up cost. Or get rid of the Warrior thing, which feels tacked-on at best. Speaking of, I don't like how the card as a creature will count itself and therefore always have greater P/T than the P/T boost granted by Bloodrush. But that's a small thing.
>>
>>63954908
It seems similar to Hazoret’s Undying Fury.
Which guarantees you four cards. Obviously the drawback is greater, but in limited you’re likely going to be casting this on turn 7 or 8. At which point it’s almost certainly only flipping the top two cards.
Not sure I would run a six mana maybe do something unless it was the only curve topping playable I had.
>>
>>63954940
I would put it at 5GG, and 3GG for the blood rush.
The floor value for that effect is low, but the ceiling makes it at least as powerful as overrun, and I would cost it as such.
>>
>>63955045
Hmm, maybe if I make it cheaper, ditch casting for free but let players cast things until end of -next- turn like Light up the Stage.
>>63954997
What if it only counted basic lands?
>>
>>63955157
>What if it only counted basic lands?
Don't think it makes a huge difference. I just want to know why you included Warrior on this card.
>>
File: RR04 Betrothal.jpg (152 KB, 744x1039)
152 KB
152 KB JPG
Another take on Betrothal.
>>63955272
Flavour. All Indians (Warriors you control) gather from all lands they control (you control).
But if it's not gettable then I'll just make colourshifted, slightly less efficient Rubblehulk.
>>
>>63955357
Maybe scale with creatures?
>~ gets +1/+1 for each creature you control and an additional +1/+1 for each Warrior creature you control.

>card
Without casting for free, you might as well just use the Shattered Perception ability.
>>
File: rares.jpg (162 KB, 750x523)
162 KB
162 KB JPG
more rares

>>63954847
I agree to drop the Warrior tag. Lands is an effective archetype, and this would crack some skulls without Warriors being included.
Also, creatures should, generally, be actually creatures. "The Great Gathering" is not a creature, but feels more like an enchantment. This is an easy fix.
>>
>>63955486
>Torrent of Ivory
Shouldn't this be "X or less"?
>>
>>63955518
no
>>
>>63955518
I guess I should be more clear, it's intended to be a pseudo one-sided board wipe for weenie aggro. Its baseline is "Destroy all creatures", with a variable mode to destroy only large creatures.
I'll likely cost it at 5cmc now that I think about it.
>>
File: wwwwww.jpg (808 KB, 2236x1041)
808 KB
808 KB JPG
Added new rare that is a rare for no reason other than players being bad at maths.
Anyway: Great Gathering is just Rubblehulk but more expensive. Betrothal now allows you only cast cards during the resolution of the spell, I hope it'll allow me to make it cheap and therefore usable.
>>
>>63956215
>Sunset Standoff
Which way do you round? This is important.
>>
>>63956443
You don't. Do the math. It's actually really clever, props to... whatever his name is. Frontier anon? Western anon?
>>
File: activated almonds.gif (1.87 MB, 268x268)
1.87 MB
1.87 MB GIF
>>63956502
>>
I finally found really neat art for a giant buffalo spirit-thingy. Thus I completed cycle of big mythical creatures for each colour, yay.
>>63956443
Lol, now I can see why it can't be on uncommon. To think it was a common at the beginning.
>>63956502
"Western anon", please.
>>
>>63956831
Forgot the card. -_-'
>>
Made the enkindle stick around on this one. Also finished a draft of green rares, coming up shortly.
>>63941658
>Would've expected an ability that draws cards
Each rare legend pairs with its faction's mechanic in some way. Ades (BUG) has tithe, which makes treasure tokens. You naturally get one treasure a turn from it, and I didn't want to overload on self-enabling.
>Up the body or give it evasion so it at least has a chance of triggering Enkindle.
I've made the enkindle stick around post-copy in order to make it more relevant.
>Double X just to get a 4/4? How about Awaken X?
It's a hasty 4/4 on a potentially empty board. I think making the awaken too cheap might make the card too swingy.
>Didn't Wizards do this one already?
They did a control magic variant that cared about power. Mine is similar, but cares about a card's colors instead.
>>63956852
Seems big, green, splashy, and expensive. Good Timmy rare, and an absolute bomb in limited.
>>
>>63958076
And the green rares
>>
>>63958107
And why not red rares, too, for good measure? Just wrapped up this first draft as well.
>>
To be honest, blue really shouldn't just be the only one who can counter spells. What do you guys think?
>>
>>63958786
Woops, forgot one little thing. Fixed it.
>>
>>63958814
Make it hit only blue spells, and you’re golden.
>>
>>63958076
>Made the enkindle stick around on this one.
Good choice. Even if the card was better without it, people often misread cards then play being 100% certain they read it right. Since almost all Impostor-cards tend to preserve their singular keyword ability (like hexproof or flying), players would expect the same and could miss that prowess disappears.

>>63958107
I like that indestructible fits both White (because it's traditionally white/colourless ability) and Black (because it's nuRegenerate).
Mob has grokkable flavour. Pay the angry mod or get stomped. Question remains why would anyone need 13 mana...
>>63958575
>01
It's good you put land animator legend in Red (secondary colour to land animation), I know every colour gets Awaken, but if it's not spelled out, it looks weird outside Green.
>02
WotC would probably make the Martyr lightning based rather than flame, but it works here.
>03
Synergistic, I like it.
>>63958786
>>63958814
Alpha called, they want their Elemental Blasts back.
>>
File: rRGZ.jpg (4.92 MB, 3726x4161)
4.92 MB
4.92 MB JPG
Rares from Red to Multicolour.
Multicolour cards without the codes (which should be RZ01, RZ02, RZ03, RZ04 and RZ05) are the leaders of the factions represented by their colour and I didn't want to hide their names behind mana costs.
>>
>>63958076
>Ades (BUG) has tithe, which makes treasure tokens.
How does the card pair with this mechanic? It doesn't enable or trigger Tithe, it doesn't improve Tithe, it just does more of one of the effects of Tithe.

>It's a hasty 4/4 on a potentially empty board. I think making the awaken too cheap might make the card too swingy.
It doubles the cost of the spell just to make a 4/4. Why does a scaling spell with a scaling cost have a non-scaling bonus?
>>
File: bok-68-hero-s-demise.jpg (149 KB, 488x680)
149 KB
149 KB JPG
>>63960400
>>
>>63960572
Oh right. Now it's "Hero's Death".
>>
>>63960400
Jim and Tim were too good, second version in pic rel.
>>
File: purge it.png (1 MB, 623x763)
1 MB
1 MB PNG
>>63960400
>Redshield
careful there you might get disappeared
>>
>>63960400
also
>Ashleigh Birch
It looks innocent enough, but this card is so damn overwhelming holy heck. It'd be incredible without the activated ability.
>>
>>63962257
I saw name "Annie Oakley" and decided to be witty and clever.
Is it inappropriate? I chose the older looking version.
>>
>>63962307
No I mean the card is crazy good. It shits out value.
>>
I can't stand how the little holo foil thingy at the bottom writes over the flavor text sometimes.

Should you let it overlap the text, or should you add another line break to avoid it?
>>
>>63962435
You can put the flavor text as an actual line of rules text up in that box, then highlight it and Ctrl+I to italicize it, and sometimes that gives you a bit of a buffer.
>>
>>63962338
I hesitate between adding her an activated ability or just leaving that space for explore's reminder text.
Also Sir Redshield should be 2/2, not 2/4, I was too hasty. :-/
>>
Okay so as I work on this skeleton, is there a resource out there that helps you plot what exactly you need per slot in terms of body size for creatures? I can make curves on my own alright, so that's not an issue, but I don't remember there being an in-depth article about it in the Nuts and Bolts stuff. Maybe I'm wrong about that but I recall actual P/T numbers being glossed over in favor of more discussion on actual supertype distribution and casting costs. Or if someone has a neat formula or something, I'm all ears.
>>
>>63962697
That actually worked perfectly, thanks.

Not only did the bottom foil thing get avoided, but now the top line isn't brushing against the card types section.
>>
>>
>>63963847
I changed the text of Duality to give a broader effect. Does it fly?

Keep in mind that B, W, and W/B are different color identities.
>>
>>63958814
Either:
See >>63958864 but also increase the cost
Or
Make it U instead. Counterspells don't belong in R.
Yes, I am aware R counterspells already exist.
They shouldn't.
Ever.
>>
MtG is such a shitty game to design cards for. You have to jump through hoops just to make something work the way you want it to and not just be a boring combo enabler.
>>
>>63964043
Nonsense. What's your vision?
>>
>>63964064
A card that reanimates creatures that died at any point in the game.
>>
File: Obzedat's Aid.jpg (24 KB, 200x288)
24 KB
24 KB JPG
>>63964087
I was just looking at this card. Here you go senpai, just replace "permanent" with "creature" and "your" with "a".
>>
>>63964121
That also works on creatures that haven't died.
>>
>>63964043
>>63964087
>>63964130
lul
>MTG can't support my arbitrarily narrow card, therefore it sucks!
>>
>>63964284
Reviving creatures is narrow?
>>
>>63964337
Nice strawman. No, it isn't. Reviving only creatures that died at some point during the game is though. I'm honestly curious if any card game does something that inane. And how would you even track that? What if a card dies, gets shuffled into library, and milled? Does that still count? And what if players play with multiples, how do you know which died and which didn't?
>>
File: The Numen.png (284 KB, 375x523)
284 KB
284 KB PNG
Taking a mythic break. Does this feel mythic, god-of-a-setting worthy?
>>63960420
>How does the card pair with this mechanic?
The activated ability becomes better the more treasure you have. The card pressures opponents to either not pay tithes, thus giving you your tithe card's extra abilities, or they supercharge its tap ability on top of giving you treasure.
>It doubles the cost of the spell just to make a 4/4.
A 4/4 is very relevant. Especially with haste, as well as one that clears part of all of the opponent's board upon entry. I really think you're undervaluing that; even at X=1, bounce a creature and make a hasty 4/4 at instant speed for 2UU is a hell of a deal (although you did make me realize I needed to add an 'X can't be 0' clause, so I fixed that).
>Why does a scaling spell with a scaling cost have a non-scaling bonus?
Because balancing the card is more important to me than the aesthetics of matching the scaling. Small land creatures feel bad, especially late game when an X-cost bounce spell would be useful, and I also don't want control to be able to pump a ton of mana into the spell, clear the board, and then drop a hasty 10/10. Crush of Tentacles was mythic for good reason.
>>
>>63964424
>And how would you even track that?
By having a zone specifically for spent spells and destroyed permanents, something MtG does not have.
>>
>>63964477
Good. That sounds like a bunch of needless complexity.
>>
>>63964433
I'd do first strike over haste myself, but other than that, it's basically an activatable Eldrazi with how much it can do over and over with that ability. So, yes.
>>
File: Resurrect(14461).png (155 KB, 286x395)
155 KB
155 KB PNG
>>63964424
>>63964477
>>63964528
Hearthstone does it and I'm positive that other digital card games do.
>>
>>63964579
I had first strike on it at one point, but it felt completely pointless when the card also has indestructible. Haste isn't much better since it only has value the turn you drop it, but it does something, you know? Even if narrowly.
>>
>>63964663
Well I guess first strike would technically narrowly save it from Wither and such, but yeah I get you.

Christ this skeleton building is tedious. I'm trying to lay out as much as I can ahead of plugging existing cards in but I am not very sure of myself or what I'm doing with mapping my creature slots. Ah well, no rush I guess. At least what I'll be adding to it is already balanced(ish)? Small favors.
>>
>>63964709
Keep at it, man. The end result will be really cool.
>>
>>63964433
Dunno, for me mythics shouldn't require so many words to have wow factor. Maybe something like this:
>{W}{U}{B}{R}{G}: Search your library or graveyard for a permanent card, reveal it and put it onto the battlefield.
Or maybe a modal ability with that as the first mode and searching and casting for free i/s spell as the second mode.

I don't like instant speed discard. RG mana effects are much weaker than WUB.
>>
>>63964780
Any tricks you can share for expediting the effort? Or are you just so well versed at this point you can eyeball it?
>>
>>63964798
I want it to care about colors somehow, since that's the set's whole schtick. You're not wrong about it being wordy, but I did manage to get it to fit within the eight-line limit. The bad thing is that I don't have room for a sorcery speed restriction. I'm not sure. Whatever I go with, it has to involve color in some way.
>>63964809
Have a drink while you do it. More seriously, though, it helps me to do it in stages. I usually make a partial skeleton for commons, then I design commons. Then I make a partial skeleton for uncommons, then I design uncommons, and so on. Sometimes I even make the skeleton one color and rarity at a time (I need X white commons, and Y of them should be creatures, etc. etc.) Splitting it up like that keeps it manageable for me. As for how many of each card type, rarity, etc. I usually compare to existing sets that are similar to mine in size and scope using what is now scryfall, and I follow the nuts and bolts advice to keep green a bit heavier on the creatures and blue a bit heavier on noncreatures.
>>
>>63964949
Yeah I'm doing that stuff but assigning actual P/T info in a spread related to the CMC is snagging me. I guess I should have grabbed that example skeleton grump supplied and tried to work with that but I was worried that it wouldn't help much because I'd have to unmake what he did and change it for my stuff anyway. I guess I should try breaking it up by rarity. That might help. And it will certainly keep me focused on not just generating more rares I don't need yet.
>>
>>63964433
>The activated ability becomes better the more treasure you have. The card pressures opponents to either not pay tithes, thus giving you your tithe card's extra abilities, or they supercharge its tap ability on top of giving you treasure.
Fair enough I guess.

>even at X=1, bounce a creature and make a hasty 4/4 at instant speed for 2UU is a hell of a deal
Agreed, but that's a problem for your ability, not mine. Mine would just make a 1/1.

>I also don't want control to be able to pump a ton of mana into the spell, clear the board, and then drop a hasty 10/10.
I dunno, having to pay 22 mana and bouncing 10 permanents to get a 4/4 sounds like a really bad deal to me. I honestly just don't see anyone doing that. Don't use Awaken, save 10 mana, and use it to cast some giant U creature.

>Crush of Tentacles was mythic for good reason.
OK, best-case scenario, you cast a 0-mana spell, then Surge-cast Crush for 5 mana. You get an 8/8. You'd need 18 mana in my proposed ability to get an 8/8. I don't see how this is a good comparison.
>>
File: The Bloodied King.jpg (121 KB, 750x1046)
121 KB
121 KB JPG
>>
>>63964619
Don't compare digital to paper games.
>>
File: Sudden Realization (1).jpg (129 KB, 744x1039)
129 KB
129 KB JPG
>>
>>63969242
This was the most elegant way I could think of to make "Tutor and put it anywhere." Excluded battlefield and exile for obvious reasons.
>>
>>63963847
The current rules text has a problem: "Duality" seems to be an ability word, i.e. glorified flavor text, and as such other abilities can't refer to it. Luckily in this example the wording is easy to fix without changing the gameplay.

>Duality - When CARDNAME enters the battlefield, you may exile target creature card with a different color identity than it from your graveyard.
>When CARDNAME dies, create a token that's a copy of a card exiled with CARDNAME.

As a side note, this card is totally busted. I don't see a way to fix the current design idea.
>Well hello yes I'd like to reanimate Emrakul and Griselbrand from my grave for five mana.
>>
>>63970754
Isn't five mana about the standard cost to pull creatures out of the graveyard?
>>
>>63970754
>>63972473
Thank you for the help on the wording. You’re right about the ability word business.

For balance I looked at Obzedat’s Aid (see above) and considered that it brings back 2 copies, but they’re both delayed and tokens. I could easily tone it down though.
>>
File: Ivory Evangelist.png (222 KB, 375x523)
222 KB
222 KB PNG
so Grandeur ended up drafting fine for the common slot, though a bit linearly. Both sides of that coin were pretty predictable. It's fun to draft archetypes, but a bit uninteresting to have your draft laid out for you once you start going into it.
In the rare slot, you could do some fun stuff for constructed.

The main problem with it was the uncommon slot. Nothing you put here is draftable, unless players want to rely on luck as they draft. At the same time, the uncommon slot doesn't offer much space for constructed-playable powerhouses. This left the keyword in a weird state, where commons worked in limited, rares worked in constructed, but uncommons were just fucking useless everywhere no matter what I designed. Noting this problems, and also thanks to feedback, Grandeur has been shelved.
So here's its replacement. It fits far more with the faction's themes of strict religious hierarchy, and wanton self-sacrifice for victory at any cost. So far, it feels very weird on the board, but I think I can make it work. Maybe.
Also thanks for all y'all and your feedback so far, it's been helpful : )
>>
Black rares are up!
>>63975607
I'm not a fan of the meta name; that needs some work. I'm also a bit iffy on the ability. What design benefits does it give you outside of designing regular sacrifice-matters cards? In other words, why keyword it? I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but I am curious as to your reasoning.
>>
>>63975745
>In other words, why keyword it? I'm not saying that you shouldn't, but I am curious as to your reasoning.
I think this falls under the category of "It is the faction mechanic, and I don't need to keyword it at all but people would be confused if four of the factions had keywords and one just had a non-keyword theme."
I kind of agree that it doesn't *need* to be keyworded, but keywording it establishes it as the main theme of the faction, which also does help with a bit of clarity in how the faction is to play.
>>
>>63975745
oh also yes you posted cards hmm

>Olrich
As much as these type of designs are quite cool, they also happen to be huge pains in the ass to track, and victims of evergreen keyword shifts.
I kind of like the melvin-y aspect of this design, though. But, it's self-sabotaging in terms of casting a spell with a keyword you want Olrich to have. Every cool keyworded creature becomes a lose-lose: Keep it in exile, or cast it? It seems more like it would be "Feel bad both ways." rather than "Yeah, I made the right choice" if you get me.
Also, should probably put the lifegain first, as in "You may gain 3 life. If you don't, you may cast that spell until end of turn." or put the lifegain as a delayed trigger at EOT.

>Ades
This is pseudo self-infinite. I play some really grody Teysa EDH stuff, and I can tell you that Pitiless Plunderer + Skullclamp is totally gross. Let's not even mention how ol' Ades here combos with Anointed procession. Sure, you need creatures for it, but lord almighty is it gross if you have them.

>Omahl
A bit boring. Not much else to say.

>Painful Truths
I think you can probably find some cooler design space for Converge than that one time they put common chaff in the rare slot.
>>
File: Biofiend Renegade.jpg (119 KB, 744x1039)
119 KB
119 KB JPG
I mostly just had to get this idea out of my mind.
I really hope they do something like this in milk though.
>>
>>63975953
>It is the faction mechanic, and I don't need to keyword it at all but people would be confused if four of the factions had keywords and one just had a non-keyword theme.
Fair enough, and totally valid for set design. I think you could do better, though.
>>63976026
>Olrich
The impulse ability was meant to be just enough self-enabling to prevent him from being a dead play. The card is designed to work with inspirit, the BWR faction mechanic. I'll include an example.
>Wording
Stolen straight from Chandra, Torch of Defiance.
>Ades
Definitely a fair assessment. I'll bump up the cost to activate the ability. Even 1B will help rein it in.
>Painful Truths
Also fair, but I do want a draw spell here. I took another whack at it, though. Better?
>>63976505
What's the benefit of choosing haste both times, other than enabling the adapt? That double riot is cluttering up what otherwise would be a really elegant design.
>>
>>63977007
>>63977007
>What's the benefit
More options. When thinking about it I felt like this is the way all the modes felt somewhat equal.
If it was a 4/4 base with only one instance of riot I don't see a reason to ever make it a 5/5 unless you're super scared of lava coil. Do you have a suggestion for a sweetspot of adapt cost vs effect that'd be appropriate for such a card?
>>
>>63977379
>options
Yeah, your options are 3/3 haste, 4/4 haste, or vanilla 5/5. Why would anyone ever choose 3/3 haste when 4/4 haste is an option?
>Sweet spot
Maybe 1RUG. Pushed, but manageable, and it'll curve out nicely.
>>
>>63911211
Can sorceries/instants be tapped while on the stack? I dimly recall hearing about a card that could do that but can't find it on scryfall.
>>
anyone know where I can get the Saga template?
>>
>>63978556
110.6d Only permanents have status. Cards not on the battlefield do not. Although an exiled card may be face down, this has no correlation to the face-down status of a permanent. Similarly, cards not on the battlefield are neither tapped nor untapped, regardless of their physical state.
>>
>>63977436
You can only adapt it if it has no +1/+1 counters on it. That's why you'd give it haste twice.
>>
>>63979586
I realize that, and I'm saying it's clunky. Having double haste adds no extra benefit.
>>
File: RC01 Lumière Express.jpg (120 KB, 744x1039)
120 KB
120 KB JPG
Choo-choo!
>>
>>63980481
That stat-to-cost ratio is pretty awful, man. Cool concept, though.
>>
Can you do 4 ability planeswalkers on MSE? mtg.design doesnt appear to be able to do it
>>
>>63980938
Yes, you can.
>>
>>63980781
It's a colourless, nearly unblockable haster tho.
>>
>>63981411
It's a seven-mana legend that dies to bolt.
>>
File: Brew Counterspell (1).jpg (77 KB, 744x1039)
77 KB
77 KB JPG
How's this for a Dimir mechanic?
>>
>>63982405
Feels like neutered investigate. Pretty boring.
>>
>>63981745
It's 6 mana 5/4 now.
>>
>>63982405
Might as well throw in my idea for a UB keyword.
>Index N (When you cast this spell, look at the top N cards of your library. You may reveal one of them with equal converted mana cost and put it into your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.)
Not sold on the name.
>>
>>63985614
So a better Transmute, since you get to cast the spell AND get card advantage?
>>
>>63985635
More or less, but the downside is you can't search your whole library. I'd try to keep the N value low. Or is the free CA just too good to have as-is? I'm kinda dumb when it comes to this stuff.
>>
>>63985676
Yeah getting dig AND a full-fledged spell is a bit much. I think that's why Surveil was what they settled on.
>>
>>63985697
OK, yeah, I knew this shit was beyond me.
>>
Might as well post this asshole. If you have any idea what I'm doing with this, please let me know.
>>
>>63978864
Thanks. You are a gentlemen and scholar.
>>
File: Stoneshatter Disciple.png (292 KB, 375x523)
292 KB
292 KB PNG
>>63986217
Was just gonna bump but I'll try. I dunno much about Dr. Strange, but I do like the idea of super-prowess. However I'd make it non-creature spell. The cost reduction chain also makes some sense as well, but again, I'd go non-creature on that. I mean I guess he could probably summon monsters and such but "Sorcerer Supreme" really kind of invokes the idea that he's just slinging magical confetti everywhere. You could also make him a PW; for some reason he kinda strikes me as one.

Just a random card from my folder.
>>
>>63989514
>>63986217
Actually, what if you made him a super-Spellshaper? Could do some crazy shit like a "WURBG , T, Discard a card: Look at the top five cards of your library. You may reveal a non-creature card from among them, and cast that card without paying its mana cost. If you do, shuffle your library."

I dunno. Just some over-the-top shit that popped into my head.
>>
>>63986217
How about
>Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, you may search your library for an instant or sorcery card with lower converted mana cost, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.
>>
File: Delayed Comeback.jpg (74 KB, 744x1039)
74 KB
74 KB JPG
I tried
>>
>>63990402
>Exile target creature and put three time counters on the exiled card. It gains "Whenever a time counter is removed from this card, you gain 1 life," and if it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend.
>>
>>63989514
>>63989535
>>63989970
Hey, thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! I think I'll go with the tutor suggestion, but keep the Spellshaper idea for another card.
>>
File: cm2-187-epochrasite.jpg (264 KB, 672x936)
264 KB
264 KB JPG
>>63991704
I actually used the reprint of Epochrasite as an example and the newer way to word is is just "It gains suspend".
It makes the card way less wordy.
>>
>>63992734
Epochrasite doesn't have that clause because it doesn't have Suspend naturally. Delay's Oracle wording still has that clause. Sorry, but you need to include it.
>>
First try doing this guy in a while. If this doesn't work I'll probably ditch the DFC idea.

Regular orphan injected with Venom (super steroids famously used by Bane) by a villain. After recovering, he realized that the Venom changed his physiology, allowing him to transform into a superhuman form which he dubbed Abuse.
>>
New Numen.
>>63993960
Haven't seen this one in a long time! I think the bodies on both sides could be slightly bigger considering the time and mana investment required.
>>
>>63995085
Should say OTHER creature. My bad. I did not intend for it to buff itself.
>>
>>63995085
Much better mythic. Simple and splashy.
>>
>>63995085
>10/10
>Each OTHER creature you control gets...
>>
>>63995085
What do you think, 2/2 and 4/4?

>card
Eh, kinda wish it did something else for creatures. Not a huge fan of that I/S copy ability.
>>
>>63995314
Thanks!
>>63995373
What's the issue with the ability? Or are you just not a fan?
>2/2 and 4/4
Yeah, that's probably fine considering Kytheon is comparable to the front and the back shrinks every turn.
>>63995324
Yeah, I messed up. See
>>63995106
>>
File: Bat-Signal4.jpg (39 KB, 375x523)
39 KB
39 KB JPG
>>63995840
>What's the issue with the ability? Or are you just not a fan?
Just personal taste.

>Colin
Thanks, will do.
>>
Has anyone made Multicolor/Hybrid Vehicles yet?
>>
>>63997752
Not that I know of. Any ideas?
>>
>>63997752
I don't see why Vehicles need coloured mana cost tbhon.
>>
Rare angel cycle!
>>63995929
Bat signal seems fine. Clear flavor, expensive enough to justify repeated-yet-narrow tutoring.
>>63997752
I did monocolored vehicles in my last set. It's in the pastebin. Deep.
>>
File: RMtri02 Worldspeaker.png (282 KB, 375x523)
282 KB
282 KB PNG
>>63999665
Crap, I keep messing up. Incorrect cost on Wordlspeaker. Forgive me.
>>
>>63999665
If you use nonelegant Enemy-Ally-Ally colour order at least order your cards so the first coloured mana costs line up in WUBRG
WBR>URG>>BGW>RWU>GUB.
Now for the angels:
>01
This could be UR, I guess White justifies permanent growth with counters as opposed to temporary boost from Prowess.
>02
Effect is neat, but I don't see WB in this. This could be monogreen if not for flying.
>03
Why would you need to ramp when you already have 6 mana, why put ramp theme on two angels? Also, apart from flying what's Blue here?
>04
Spicy, I think that's my favourite one. Feels like a proper tricolour design.
>05
Wordiness makes me like this one less than 04, but this also has good justification for being tricoloured.

I think the most interesting ability is the third ability of the Worldspeaker, but overall I like Warculler more.
>>
>>64000743
Thanks for the feedback, anon! I don't really have a lot of control over the symbol order, as far as I know. I'll try to be better about the card order, but to be honest I don't super care about it.
>I don't see WB in this.
Giving your stuff the activated abilities of other cards is pretty black. Flying and vigilance are pretty white. But to be honest, I designed it more with my set's factions in mind rather than individual color components. Same for each of them.
>why put ramp theme on two angels?
The angels pair with set factions. The WBG faction mechanic is explore, and the RUG mechanic is awaken.
>Wordiness makes me like this one less than 04
Yeah, the exile clause at the end pushes it to eight lines. It's a real bummer, but I don't think I can get away with not having it, yeah? What do you think?
>>
File: white commons.jpg (1.25 MB, 2250x1569)
1.25 MB
1.25 MB JPG
Okay, here's my first revamped set of commons. Since the set is larger now, there are more creatures and I had more room to get stuff white seemed to need in here this time. Only thing it's missing is a cheap flier (if it needs one), but I recall being told that Unlikely Veteran was probably better suited to uncommon, so if that's the case, then I can try to re-jumble things around a bit to put something in the CMC2 slot, since U already has a 1/1 flier for 1. Also missing is anything that destroys attacking creatures, so I'm not too sure what to do about that. One of the creatures I nixed was filling that slot so I may have to try and re-add it. If you see anything missing here mechanically, please let me know. It wasn't as much work as I thought but it's still kind of a pain filling in gaps instead of starting from scratch.
>>
>>64002546
Exile case is good, you should keep it. It just makes card visually worse than 04, but it's still good. Or at least not bad.
I misread 02, I thought you could make all creatures you control behave like lands if a land was on top of the library (since they'd copy mana ability), but after re-reading it, it's more of manafixing, making lands into utility lands, not ramp.
Therefore I retract my comment about two angels sharing a ramp theme.
>>
>>64002868
Unlikely Veteran would annihilate limited.
>>
>>64003218
As a common or in general? The design is really old and nobody had a problem with it when I posted it all those years ago so it's weird seeing people saying it's so strong. Huh. I figured it wasn't so bad because it's easy to kill early on, and would need some serious voltroning to make it really hum. As I said I don't mind swapping it to a higher rarity at all.
>>
>>64003342
At common.
>>
>>64003451
Alright, I'll bump it to uncommon then. Thanks anon. Hard to believe that's the only issue with all that though.
>>
>>64003491
Many limited decks often don't have a strong play until turn 3 or later.
If you're on the play, this thing is going to be a 1-mana 2/2 at a minimum. If it isn't dealt with quickly, it'll become a 1-mana 5/5 or more very quickly. It's good on offense and defense. It's just a very overwhelming card for limited aggro.
>>
>>64003654
Thanks for the explanation. If that's the only real issue with this set of commons I'm cautiously optimistic that this revamp will go well.
>>
File: RCLs.jpg (2.27 MB, 3726x2081)
2.27 MB
2.27 MB JPG
Colourless rares!
>>64002868
You can make "call the pack" create two 1/1 fliers and then replace the Veteran with defensive removal spell. This way you can fill both of your mechanic holes you mentioned.
>11
White doesn't get 4/3 stats at common and generally WotC avoid giving White big AND offensive creatures. White gets 2/1, 3/1, sometimes 3/2 but not 4/3.
But there are twelve 3/4s at common in monoWhite so I think just swapping the stats would be fine.
>12
I think you should change "as long as it's attacking/blocking" to "as long as it's your turn/ isn't your turn", so there's no misunderstanding about how vigilance works.
>>
>>64003749
Looking over it again, I do have something else
>Lessons of the Steppe
"Vigilance as long as its attacking" is literally just "Vigilance." The keyword has no purpose other than when it is attacking.
Plus, you have to tap the creature and declare it as an attacker before it gets vigilance, so this does effectively nothing the way it is currently worded.
I would recommend swapping Vigilance for something like Lifelink. Otherwise, it's just "enchanted creature has vigilance, plus first strike on the block."
I like the design though.
>>
>>64004031
>RL04
What in the everloving fuck made you think this was a good idea? This is... BEYOND broken.
>>
>>64004311
That's a filler ability until I find something better. Any comment on the rest?
>>
>>64004400
...You did this on purpose, didn't you? OK, fine.

>RC01
Still not feeling it. Prob. just personal taste.

>RC02
Eh... strikes me as too powerful, though I could be wrong. Maybe discard the same number of cards?

>RC03
>[...] with X currency counters on it.
No idea, sorry.

>RC04
Remove the Duel ability word here. Ability words should be very narrow, otherwise they lose their meaning. Not sure on the high Equip costs.

>RC05
I'd prefer this have a higher Equip cost actually. Maybe swap card cost and Equip cost?

All the lands should probably produce C.
>RL01
Isn't this already a card more or less?

>RL02
Why did you hardcode Regeneration in WU?

>RL03
Repeatable draw on land? Gonna have to say no.

>RL05
Seems interesting.
>>
>>64004031
Alright, I'm new to the party so apologies if you've addressed any of these issues before.

First, seems like a real missed opportunity with the trains not making use of the Vehicle type rather than making them straight up artifact creatures.

Is the Gunslinger type necessary? If this set were hypothetically to be printed it would be a parasitic tribal type since WotC do not use guns in any other sets, wouldn't rogue, scout or warrior work just as well?

third the land cycle is unbalanced, the GW and UW lands are fine but Redshield and Ashkoro are ridiculous and Great Council while not as bad is still oppressive.
>>
>>64005376
>Vehicles
The set has already too much mechanics and there are only five trains, none at common.
>parasitic types
It's because I'm not WotC I don't have to care about interaction with real sets or that they don't use guns. Also Ginslingers ARE necessary in the Wild West set, it's crucial.
>rest of the comment
Thanks, I'll make changes to the land cycle.
>>
File: do.jpg (925 KB, 2981x1041)
925 KB
925 KB JPG
>>64004553
>...You did this on purpose, didn't you?
No, I just forgot about
>RC01
I'll leave it as it is now for a time being, until I get more opinions, but I'' try to think of something else that would convey the speed of a locomotive.
>RC02
See picture related.
>RC03
Done, thanks.
>RC04
But all I did was to replace "~" to "equipped creature". I thought this was narrow enough.
>RC05
Done, thanks.
>All the lands should probably produce C.
I really don't want to do this because now the rare land cycle compliment uncommon Outpost cycle. I'd rather bump up ability costs.
>RL01
Yeah, Ghosty Township. Non-legendary, produces {C} instead of {W}. But I like it.
>RL02
Good point. See pic related.
>RL03
See pic related, dunno if I buffed or nerfed the card honestly... Well, graveyard recursion is not as prevalent in the set as it is in actual formats.
>RL04
See pic related. Or maybe one card per 2 life lost?
>>
>>64007726
>It's because I'm not WotC I don't have to care about interaction with real sets or that they don't use guns.
I think the type is fine, but generally speaking, you should try to take other sets into account. Sure, you're not WotC, but you're trying to imitate them, right?

>>64008112
>RC01
Forgot to mention, this card should be
>~ can't be blocked except by creatures with flash or haste.

>RC04
The fact that it's not a creature itself is the problem. Then Duel changes from "Whenever this creature attacks or blocks alone" to "Whenever some creature attacks or blocks alone"

>RL01
>produces {C} instead of {W}.
See what I mean?

>RL02
Better.

>RL03
Buffed. Put the chosen card back on top instead of into your hand. And change "other" to "rest".

>RL04
Just make it burn. Right now this says
>Discard your hand. Until end of turn, creatures you control gain "Whenever this creature deals damage to target opponent, you draw that many cards."
Plus it turns burn into draw. Lava Spike becomes Concentrate, etc.
>>
File: do.jpg (427 KB, 1491x1041)
427 KB
427 KB JPG
>>64008299
>I think the type is fine, but generally speaking, you should try to take other sets into account. Sure, you're not WotC, but you're trying to imitate them, right?
Well, WotC added Cyborg type solely for Unstable, Trilobite for just two creatures, so I thought adding Gunslinger won't hurt.
I agree that "Train" is frivolous, but I didn't want to make it Vehicles since I have many mechanics already; it's also short enough word to fit into the type box with "Legendary Artifact Creeature". If that's too much, I'll just change them to "Construct", although

>Forgot to mention, this card should be
>>~ can't be blocked except by creatures with flash or haste.
Done, thanks.
>See what I mean?
I see, and I'd prefer the land to have worse ability but retain tapping for coloured mana.
What if I made the ability cost {3}{G}{W}? Or maybe limit the number of buffec creatures to three?
>Put the chosen card back on top instead of into your hand. And change "other" to "rest".
But now it's monoBlue instead of Blue-Black... See pic related.
>RL04
>Just make it burn.
Sure. See pic related.
>>
Or maybe this one.
>>
>>64008898
>>64008724
just think about what Ramunap did to standard and consider how ridiculous these red lands are.
>>
>>64009216
>Something something, lands shouldn't give players "the reach".
Ah yes, true.
>>
>>64008724
Again, to be clear, I think Gunslinger is fine. My statement about keeping other sets in mind is more about mechanical balance. Train is fine as well.

>What if I made the ability cost {3}{G}{W}? Or maybe limit the number of buffec creatures to three?
Frankly I'm not sure. Balancing lands is kind of a nightmare.

>But now it's monoBlue instead of Blue-Black... See pic related.
It was also on Grim Flayer, which is BG, as well as Dimir Machinations and Plunge into Darkness which has similar mechanics. Plus I think the idea of the ability by itself is B enough for most people. Though it seems I was wrong on the wording, and it should be
>Look at the top three cards of your library. Put any number of them into your graveyard and the rest back on top of your library in any order.

>RL04
Wait. You were concerned about the last ability being mU, but you give this card a clearly mB ability?

Seems like you ditched this design, but I still like the R land pinging best.
>>
>>64002868
>CW03
Should it count itself? From what I remember from your set you were never 100% consistent on these abilities. Though I will say that I'd prefer if it just didn't count itself, even if that means you change the number of creatures required to two.

>CW07
Almost wish this did something with Goats. Probably just unnecessary complexity though.

>CW08
Should have FStrike when attacking, not blocking. That's the only feedback you'll get from me on this until it's changed.

>CW11
What the other guy said. This isn't W. W doesn't get vanilla commons with power greater than 3 outside of Loxodon Convert, which I wouldn't use as precedent due to being from NPH. You could make this 3/5 though.

>CW12
I don't even know if Vigilance would work here since it would have to tapped to be declared as an attacker. Regardless, you could probably just make this 1W and give the creature FStrike and Vigilance unconditionally.

>CW13
I think someone else said this should drop the +0/+1, and I have to agree with him.

>CW14
You could stop it from blocking too if you wanted. Or maybe reduce card cost by 1.

>CW17
Sucks that it doesn't work when blocking.
>>
File: Killing Intent.jpg (49 KB, 375x523)
49 KB
49 KB JPG
>>
File: MU01 Saloon Stories.jpg (144 KB, 744x1039)
144 KB
144 KB JPG
Is there any better way to word it?
>>
>>64011749
What the fuck is this card? Unless you're only cast 1 mana I/S spells or somehow are casting them for free, the sac ability is going to be a net loss. What is the purpose of this?
>>
File: MU01 Saloon Stories.jpg (138 KB, 744x1039)
138 KB
138 KB JPG
>>64011926
Thanks, this is definitely not a reaction I want from players when they see the card.
Let's try once again.
>>
File: Untimely End.png (246 KB, 375x523)
246 KB
246 KB PNG
I was (very) slowly working on this set and then Dominaria came along and did a whole bunch of cool things in a similar space (historic, sagas, the general history theme) and now I'm not sure what to do. Only mechanic I had so far is repute counters.
>>
>>64012154
Much better. But looking over your previous card, I get the feeling that you intended the spells to be exiled after the effects went through. Correct me if I'm wrong on that, but exiling a spell on the stack like that means none of the spell's effects resolve.
>>
File: Grassy Lowland.jpg (40 KB, 375x523)
40 KB
40 KB JPG
I just had to install MSE on a new computer, and it is now showing this whatever symbol instead of the colorless mana symbol. Anyone knows how to fix this?
>>
>>64012945
It's the chaos symbol used in Plane cards. You probably need to install the correct updates.
>>
File: MR01 Reckless Runaways.jpg (174 KB, 744x1039)
174 KB
174 KB JPG
Is discarding two cards too much? Or maybe it's too cheap?
>>
File: Angel of Redemption.jpg (48 KB, 375x523)
48 KB
48 KB JPG
bumping with not! flashback
>>
>>64012227
I'm not saying you couldn't make Repute interesting, but I want to point out that for most people, the most unfun decks to go against, and the ones that aren't even really fun to play, are the ones that try to say "I'm going to do my thing and not even look at your side of the table."
>>
>>64014462
This + Primal Forcemage = Wreckage. I think it's slighly OP though
>>
File: MG01 Living Tradition.jpg (140 KB, 744x1039)
140 KB
140 KB JPG
>>
>>64014469
Are you the colorfucked anon?
>>
>>64014469
>You may cast this card from your graveyard for its recur cost. If you do, it's exiled when it enters the battlefield.
Flashback meets evoke.
>>
>>64004031
>Call the Pack
That'd be the easy solution but I have a Hound thing going that'll be more evident at uncommon where the "parasitic" tribal interaction cards belong for draft purposes (as I understand it at any rate). I'll figure something out with that slot I'm getting from Veteran.
>11
Fair. I figured white needed a bit of a beater and that an overcosted 4/3 would be okay.
>12
Will make some changes. You're right; that vigilance rider is stupid.

Thanks anon. I'll hit your cards up after I finish responding to the other post about mine.

>>64010891
>03
I've had people say it should be your way and should be "three or more". Ugh. I had it your way to begin with (except one example that was derp on my part) but I could change it back. I'll probably get told to change it again though...
>07
Would be funny as trinket text. If I can wedge in a Goat-themed uncommon or something I'll think about it.
>08
Alright alright, you win.
>11
3/5 it is.
>12
yeah, changing it.
>13
Lifelink alone felt too anemic to me. Is it really a problem?
>14
I looked at Forced Worship but missed Cage of Hands. Oops. I'll change it.
>17
I can change it if you think it's not too good. I suppose it wouldn't be considering Charge.

Thanks anon.
>>
>>64014462
>Is discarding two cards too much? Or maybe it's too cheap?
No, not at all. It's a fine cost. Combat celebrant only needs to exert. However i would say the card itself is OP. Based on the fact its a solid haste/trample body for 4 AND has this ability. This card is 6 mana atleast.
>>
>>64004031
Okay, here we go. I'll do my best.
>01
Interesting. I sort of agree that making it a Vehicle would be cool, but if you don't want to mess with that then I understand. I'd also suggest Trample, but you'd have to increase the cost to 7.
>02
Whew. Spicy. I see why the other one doesn't have Trample now. The fixed one looks a bit more consistent but less "fun".
>03
Seems fine. I recall another card that exists that functions like this but I can't recall the name.
>04
I can see doubling power, but both? Yeesh.
>05
Fireshrieker says this is overcosted.
>RL01
I feel like the blanket counter thing is a bit dangerous, but it relies on you having a strong board and the land open so it should be okay.
>RL02
I agree that this is odd in WU. The fix seems better.
>RL03
Hm. I agree this is a bit much. Fix seems better but seems less UB. Does mill have a place in your set? Could make it mill the opponent for a few cards and give you a card maybe? The second fix seems weak.
>RL04
Way too good. Fix is also too good on an empty hand if you cast burn off the draw. Second fix isn't very BR but technically can be. Though I will say it seems WotC is changing "life loss" to "damage" in black. At least it seems to be a trend anyway.
>RL05
Seems fine, though keep an eye on it. Could be oppressive given that RG is most likely to have easy access to high P/T creatures fairly fast.
>
>>
>>64016581
>03
Sorry for conflicting feedback, but we all have different opinions. Personally though, I'm just not a fan of having it count itself.

>07
Not even sure what could be done on a common and still keeping it common. Maybe sac a Goat on ETB, gain some life? Eh, don't sweat it, I was just spitballing.

>CW13
Eh, then increase cost by 1, and change pump to +0/+2 or +1/+1.

>CW17
How about some Equipment love? Grumps pointed out that you don't have a whole lot of Equipment synergy, so let's try that. Maybe something like In Oketra's Name.
>Equipped creatures you control get +2/+1 until end of turn. Other creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.
Or just make it Surge of Thoughtweft and have it cantrip if you have an Equipment.

No problem.
>>
>>64016894
>03
I think the usual thing is for creatures not to count themselves so I'll change it back. I prefer "two or more other" as well.
>07
As I said, I'll see what happens. Having funny little things like that in sets gives them character.
>13
Hm. I think what I'll do is make it 2W, +1/+1, and change 14 to cost 1W and 2W to bounce itself. I'm trying to mind my curves and make sure there's enough to do early game.
>17
I'm not married to the design so throwing in a little Equip synergy sounds good to me. I'll work up something like you suggested.
>>
File: RLs.jpg (468 KB, 1491x1041)
468 KB
468 KB JPG
>>64016737
Which one would be better?
-Upping the creature's mana cost to {4}{R}{R}
-Reducing p/t to 3/2 or 2/2 or 2/1
>>64016779
Thanks for the feedback, anon!
>RL03
See pic related.
>RL04
The newest fix is this: >>64009520 which gives haste and deathtouch to a creature.
>RL05
Maybe bump up the cost to {3}{R}{G}? This would effectively make it cost 6 mana which I think is ok.
>>
>>64016510
>Are you the colorfucked anon?
Perhaps

>>64016569
>Flashback meets evoke.
Sort of yeah. What you think of it?
>>
>>64017049
>01
Safer, yeah. It should target though.
>03
Hm. Fateseal is very strong so I wonder at this. I mean putting them in the yard is less powerful than putting them on the bottom of their library but I'm still nervous about this. Maybe 2 cards is safer.
>04
Hm. Safer, yeah. Does kinda of evoke the sense of "ambush" so if that's the flavor you wanted that works. It's still kind of repeatable removal though so keep an eye on it.
>05
Yeah try that. I just worry about repeatable land-based removal since lands are so hard to deal with.
>>
File: MZs.jpg (466 KB, 1491x1041)
466 KB
466 KB JPG
I think the left one is the more cancerous one, but I await any criticisms.
>>
>>64017340
>Hm. Fateseal is very strong so I wonder at this. I mean putting them in the yard is less powerful than putting them on the bottom of their library but I'm still nervous about this. Maybe 2 cards is safer.
Hm, what if I change it back to hit only your library but increase the "depth" to four cards instead of three?
>Rare lands 05 and sorta 04
You can remove the targeted creature though. Right now, only B(u) land works without a creature to target.
>>
Next thread edition?

>>64017644
>MZ01
Probably needs to cost so much it would be impractical. For a start, it draws more than Isperia, which is 2 mana more. Flavor text is... OK, it reads like Google Translate had an aneurysm.

>MZ02
Meh. Last ability needs some rewording. And do you want a timing restriction? Because right now it only allows you to cast the card as the ability resolves, which means reactionary stuff like counterspells likely won't be cast.
>>
>>64017105
It's close to unearth, but I like the ability to attack again with unearth things. Maybe if you add instant speed or the ability to do extra only if you recur it like this.

>>64018439
>Next thread edition?
Keywords with a twist
>>
>>63976505
there is never a reason to ever have riot twice on a single card itself, its fine to have cards to give other cards riot but having it both is useless, just make the base card +1/+1
>>
>>63982405
bad name for the mechanic imo, i actually do like the mechanic as it is though
>>
>>64018691
>Keywords with a twist
What exactly does this mean?
>>
>>64012227
repute has the infect problem where it has very few ways of interacting with it, that being said i think its a fine mechanic as long as its properly controlled
>>
>>64018726
Keywords or keyworded concepts but with a slight change to them. Like 'Hexproof from Black' or the keyword/ability word of the other guy that was a mix between Evoke and Unearth
>>
>>64018439
>01
Yeah, I'm not gaga on the design either, just wanted to use the art.
>02
>And do you want a timing restriction? Because right now it only allows you to cast the card as the ability resolves
That was my intention. Is it too weak?
>>
>>64012945
i think this could enter untapped and be fine, even as a common, if not you can bump it to uncommon fine
>>
>>
NT: >>64019966

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.