[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k / s4s / vip / qa] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / bant / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Settings] [Search] [Home]
Board
Settings Home
/tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread archived.
You cannot reply anymore.

File: 1542706631112335705.jpg (202 KB, 700x991)
202 KB
202 KB JPG
Let's discuss elves, their deep lore, rich culture and important roles in the setting and the party.
>>
>>63410072
Depends on the setting.
>>
File: 1541091662817.png (530 KB, 718x862)
530 KB
530 KB PNG
>>63410072
Which historical culture best matches with elves? They seem to be heavily Greek influenced to me.
>>
File: 1543359538186.jpg (72 KB, 283x275)
72 KB
72 KB JPG
>>63410135
They're the Roman Republic in my shithole of a setting

Honestly, given their affection with the woods (high elves are a meme), some Druidic Celtic culture seems the best fit. You could approach it from either angle, depending on how you want to depict them.
>In tune with nature, harmonious but fearsome warriors
>[ANGRY NAKED SCREAMING]
>>
>>63410135
>Elves running on imperialism
>homeland is some distant inaccessible island (not!Atlantis)
>handful of them in each region, formally owning / ruling it
>they care little about details of local politics, as long as the government swears allegiance and provides taxes / imports of luxury goods on regular
>every elf has aptitude for magic, they make sure it's a well know fact
>they hide the part that for most this doesn't develop beyond parlor tricks
>>
>>63410072
I like Grel from hackmaster. Psycho, nomadic wild elves that eat fairies to steal their magic. Good alternative to Drow.
>>
>>63410349
>eat fairies to steal their magic
[Fairy Meat intensifies]
>>
>>63410274
>given their affection with the woods
>>63410327
>Elves running on imperialism
Wow, only four posts and we've already got two of the worst ways to do elves.
>>
>>63410371
>two of the worst ways
Have you tried not playing D&D? Go do that so we can keep discussing D&D in peace.
>>
>>63410135
>Which historical culture best matches with elves?
Depends on the etc, etc.

Welsh would be my take. Hard to separate the longbow from elves, in my opinion. Of course Welsh elves means they were conquered and subsequently bred into half-elves by the English.
>>
File: Spoiler Image (55 KB, 848x480)
55 KB
55 KB JPG
>>63410072
Elves are a newly made race that will live in eternal youth for 1000 years until the cataclysmic end of the earth. After which they'll be returned to the begging of their existence to start the whole thing over again. Because the gods are afraid of change.

The overall answer though is that Elves are for suffering and exposition dumps.
>>
I have admittedly been stealing a lot of Dragon Age lore for my Far Traveler elf in DnD. S even if our DM has an idea of elven culture in his world (I doubt it, desu), I can just say "well, it's different where she's from."

I like the idea that they once had a sprawling empire and tons of power, but then had a massive calamity happen where they lost a lot of their power, history, and culture. So now they are scattered and kinda wild and cling to what little they know of themselves still, staying away from the humans who screwed them over first chance they got.
>>
>>63410391
With or without sheep-fucking?
>>
>>63410421
on one hand, gross
on the other hand, cute fluffy half-elves are yes
>>
>>63410135
I’m a fan of Celt-influences in my elves. I usually go with the idea that they’re mortal decedents of proper fae. So Elves would be painted warriors who worship nature spirits and are lead by tribal kings who keep druids as advisors.
>>
>>63410421
>welsh
>without the sheep fucking
That's like slavs without a tracksuit, or dwarves without beards.
>>
>>63410135
None. I usually steal Alfheim from the Mystara gazeteer. Add in a hidden valley which is a half extraplanar space for one elf city. I'll use a mix of Celtic themed stuff with some Norse.

Current campaign I'm setting up has the above. Alheim (name pending) for the high elves. The hidden valley for grey elves; the entrance is always in the same mountain range, but the location changes from time to time. Not sure if I'm going to bother with sea elves. Mermen/tritons do it better. Forest elves are nomadic, but stick to the same forests. There are a couple of scattered villages in other parts of the world. An old high elf city overrun by orcs with long term guerilla warfare going on.

I'm also going with the 'orc descended from corrupted elves' flavor of orcs. Using Vault of the Drow for a reference for Drow, if the campaign goes on long enough to get underground.
>>
>>63410072
True Elves eat humans, dwarves and halflings and are functionally immortal unless something kills them. They are deathly allergic to iron.
>>
>>63410685
For sustenance or sexual pleasure?
>>
Oh boy, another elf thread with an anime girl in the OP and not even a question directly tied to a specific system or setting. You are getting lazy.
>>
>>63410072
I have a problem. All my elves are old, with age come skill at almost anything. Elves are generally lvl 10 plus in some class but they breed slowly and every lost warrior is irreplaceable. For this reason they have a "parent" mentality towards the lesser races over constantly having to fix shit like evil rituals and avatars of darkness and stuff. Due to this thwy come of as condescending arrogant pricks. (To be fair i played them like that)
Now the problem is that my players are a mostly binary bunch, they either like or hate npc's and they tend to avoid the ones they hate.

I was going for a "dickbag that you nonetheless have to respect for his willngness to sacrifice his life for yours" kinda feel but at this point the players would gas a thousand elves to earn a few coppers so i clearly failed.

Ways to make the stereotypical dickhole elf appealing to my players? Admittance of inferiority in some regards? Hard earned respect? Attraction to burly hairy human men? Hit me here.
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 225x225)
7 KB
7 KB JPG
If the Normans are Vikings, and the Vikings are Orcs, does it mean that the English are Goblins?
>>
>>63411203
>Attraction to burly hairy human men?
Elf-haters love this stuff, because they can call the male ones faggots and cucks. They certainly won't look better in their eyes. Honestly, you already ruined it if you never gave them any sympathetic traits.
>>
>>63410740
Both sometimes at the same time.
>>
>>63410072

>decide to roll high elf fighter and be chill army veteran who likes to help people and wants enjoy his early retirement.

>Learn rest of the party has all rolled half-elf blasters with chips on their shoulders.

What are the chances I end up tanking for a band of murder hobos?
>>
>>63410128
I am pretty sure there are some things that don't change from setting to setting
>>
>>63411277
I rather think i did. Imagine watching over retards for millenia, watching them light their pubes on fire and creating magical chernobyls over and over despite your best attempts at teaching them care and reverance for magic. Imagine still mustering the love and empathy to put your life on the line for these mouthbreathers, even as you're sheltered and safe from their calamities.

Also the elves did invite them to learn from their greatest craftsmen provided the players showed a speck of dedication.

I don't know, less grumpy old man, more pointy eared patient bob ross?
>>
>>63411277
Addendum; yeah, the attraction thing was mostly a joke.
Elves in my setting are a bond-for-life to one partner which just doesn't work with humans. Their emotions takes years to mature and develop, humans simply die to quickly to form more than a platonic bond to.
>>
>>63411399
They do.
What elves are, their rules, their disposition, their cultures, if they even have cultures and aren't just a single culture, even their morality is dependent on the setting.
>>
File: 1534914281372.jpg (241 KB, 920x728)
241 KB
241 KB JPG
>>63411411
Well, I don't know, maybe all your players are assholes and will hate elves regardless of what you do. Maybe you actually failed at portraying them in a positive light. Nobody likes to be berated and looked down on. I wasn't there, so I can't tell. Maybe your elves should do something for your players that is genuinely helpful and friendly and not part of a greater educational service.
>>
File: 1541272394096.png (655 KB, 1032x1920)
655 KB
655 KB PNG
>>63410072
Party mount, every one gets a ride.
>>
>63411449
Elf-hater please go.
>>
File: 1522786056301.jpg (163 KB, 736x732)
163 KB
163 KB JPG
>>63410135
It really depends on the subrace, but high elves work great for greeks. Especially if you make it more atlantean.
>>
>>63411445
Dunno. Thinking a self sacrificing cavalry carge at some point with a rousing speech about protecting the inheritors of the world. Set to the charge of the rohirrim naturally.
Crushed elf general talking on his death bed about feeling proud to fight side by side with the PC's. Pull out all the stops, fuck it, if this dont do it nothing will.
>>
File: 001_1482508170.png (2.67 MB, 1128x1600)
2.67 MB
2.67 MB PNG
>>63411507
Godspeed anon.
>>
I came up with an idea a while back to shake up elves. What if elves were long lived, but had very poor memory? I imagine elf cities built around libraries. A single elf might go exploring ruins that they themselves helped construct a thousand years prior, but had forgotten completely about. The ultimate punishment in elven society is to lock up an offender and prevent them from writing or speaking, and avoid speaking to them, such that in time they eventually forget everything, even their name. The introduction of cheaply produced human made paper revolutionized elf culture almost overnight. Suddenly elves all carried notebooks. Elves envy the humans for their ability to learn and remember things. To a human, elves seem caring, clever, and dexterous, but that they struggle to learn things is immediately obvious.
>>
>>63411548
Stealing
>>
>Go into thread about elves
>expect lots of lewds
>See only one lewd
>REEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1492896969403.jpg (47 KB, 381x248)
47 KB
47 KB JPG
>>63412083
How dare people talk about traditional games stuff on the /tg/ instead of posting /e/ and /aco/ pics.
>>
>>63412083
I gotchu
>>
>>63412083
Have this lewd.
>>
>>63410072
High Elf Archer is cute! CUTE!
>>
>>63411456
You miss understand. I love elves. Deeply. I love to give them that warm, gooey feeling inside.
>>
>>63412281
Does she get raped? I hope that she doesn't
>>
>>63411548
>Entire race of creatures practically with alzheimers
That's sad.
>>
File: 1373768010231.jpg (353 KB, 795x1041)
353 KB
353 KB JPG
>>
File: Lorwyn elf02.jpg (111 KB, 720x573)
111 KB
111 KB JPG
Thoughts on Lorwyn elves?
>>
Well, the setting I'm running has three elf races in it (system is 5e)
Wood Elves are gypsies, roving from region to region in caravans and only settling down for a season at most (usually Winter but sometimes Summer as well). When two Wood Elf clans cross paths they have a huge celebration and usually marry off one of their younger members to join the other clan. Since it could be upwards of 100 years before they cross paths again, this is a big event. They also love games of chance and skill and half the party is just that.
High Elves (which include Eladrin as a subgroup) are nearly extinct, having once been the dominant power in the region but at their height got nearly wiped out by a magical plague that took them several decades to eradicate but killed off around 80% of their population. This led to massive turmoil and their eventual overthrow by other powers. They now are highly reclusive and tend not to leave their island kingdom of not!Anglo-Saxon+Welsh England.
Dark Elves are merchants through and through. Their mightiest city is a massive and ever deepening mine shaft that drops nearly 4 miles into the ground with a diameter of nearly 2 miles, crisscrossed by magical bridges and with lots of elevators and ramps to ease up and down motion.From this city they export rare minerals and magical gems in exchange for goods and slaves to work the mines.
>>
>>63412528
Oh you sweet summer child...
>>
>>63410072
They're the precursor Atlantean expys, the great diaspora splitting them into ethnic groups, who have basically shepherded primitive human populations.
>>
>>63410459
This, but elves are mortal fey poisoned by civilization who left the Far Lands to the west to rule an island paradise.
>>
>>63410135

Literally the roman empire.

The role of Elves is to be the older, better civilization that is responsible for all of the ruins and other cool shit still laying around from a bygone age. All of the old knowledge is written in elvish, and they modern humans can't even imagine how some of the surviving wonders of the elves were even built.

This is why elves fit into european fantasy so much, and other fantasy settings so little: because Europe was fucking littered with roman ruins. The idea of an ancient advanced empire is just taken for granted.
>>
>>63410072
I feel that this continual elf threads are just redditards looking for the new /tg/ post to screencap and repost on reddit for internet points. It's fucking annoying now.
>>
>>63413743
OPs textis the same like the futa thread several days ago that got deleted. OP is just another shitposter.
>>
>>63411368
Oh shit this could be great.

You should talk your friends into changing their backstories into that of your various bastard children your character had while doing army stuff. The reason you're together is that your guy decided to build some bridges between you and them by adventuring.
>>
>>63413743
That or just want to talk about elves. Or just enjoy Noldorfag's bitch tears.
>>
>>63414067
Who?
>>
>>63412568
Cool stuff. I liked the hooves and horns that made them more animalistic, and I liked the narcissistic sprinkling of black personality.
>>
My high elves and wood elves are different as they both are on two separate continents.

The high elves are based on China and the cultures they influenced, like Vietnam and Japan.

The wood-elves are Native Americans. Including the Aztecs. The Elf-tecs I call them.

The Elf-tecs are lead by a Great-Sky Wyrm(Feathered Serpent) that serves as avatar to their god. They drag any evil souls to the tops of pyramids to cleanse their souls of evil. This means the fiends don't get them, but they die. Garland wars are effectively inquisitions with Jaguar-men as Paladins.
>>
File: 1539040546476.jpg (75 KB, 480x366)
75 KB
75 KB JPG
>>63410072
>>
File: 1524047599298.png (196 KB, 532x516)
196 KB
196 KB PNG
>>63415383
>>
>>63413743
None of these threads are made by posters with a genuine interest in elves in the context of traditional games. It's just for shitposting and posting anime girls.
>>
>>63410072
Politically, I'd go with Greek. The Elves are organized into various city states that each have their own traditions and goals. This makes outward expansion difficult while allowing maximum internal chicanery.

Socially, I'd make them rather Norse. Egalitarian in a way that's difficult for large communities but works perfectly in small groups.

Economically, the'd be more focused on hunting and ranching than agriculture which makes them land inefficient but nutrition high. Also, I just like how Divinity did elves.
>>
>>63415457
As someone playing an elven mage right now, I find myself struggling to justify his continued travels with a bunch of filthy humans who barely have a tenth of his age and are about as mentally stimulating as watching ink dry.
>>
>>63415930
He gets beat up and wedgied without a protective layer of other people around him in public?
>>
>>63416064
Nah, with a 17 in both Charisma and Appearance, and 16 in Intelligence and Dexterity, he's pretty much an Elfchad.

It's the 6 Con that means a particularly stiff breeze might kill him that keeps surrounded by meathead meatshields.
>>
>>63410072
They are for Slaanesh and for rape. Prove me wrong.
>>
>>63411399
I purposely made my elves unlike traditional stereotypes with notable exceptions. They're androgynous, tapered ears, and typically graceful and long lived but their culture is more brutally imperial and their biology is more akin to predators like wolves minus the fur
>>
>>63416125
So he'd get beaten up and wedgied by people unimpressed with his smug face and demeanor.
>>
>>63416216
You seem really obsessed with getting beaten up and wedgied, something you want to get off your chest? Perhaps it's time you saw that therapist and moved on.
>>
>>63416179
And then I inadvertently posted what everyone else did
>>
>>63416284
heh
>>
>>63416284
Sorry, it's just that I imagined a wizard wondering aloud why he puts up with the presence of such small-minded simpletons, only to immediately get dogpiled and beaten senseless by random peasants.
>>
>>63411449
Elves confirmed for superior stamina and durability.
>>
>>63416348
With 17 carisma is more likely that those peasants adore him like a god.
>>
>>63415418
>there is no joke
But anon, the lack of a joke where one is to be expected is in and of itself a form of joke!
>>
>>63411260
>does it mean that the English are Goblins?
The only good goblins are the ones that don't leave their stinking island
>>
File: 1541555569851.png (366 KB, 800x450)
366 KB
366 KB PNG
>>63410072
ALRIGHT, LISTEN TO ME YOU KNIFE-EARED PIECE OF SHIT! IF YOU GO ANY FURTHER WITH YOUR PISS-STAINED PUBIC HAIR YOU CALL A WIG, I'M GONNA WRECK YOUR SHIT SO HARD THAT YOU WON'T EVEN BE ABLE TO WALK WITH YOUR LIMP DICK! I'M GONNA SHOVE MY FOOT SO FAR UP YOUR SHAVEN PERFECT LITTLE ASS THAT YOUR BREATH IS GONNA SMELL LIKE SHOE POLISH! THEN I'M GONNA TAKE THAT LITTLE RED ANAL BEAD ON YOUR BELT AND PUSH IT IN YOUR FACE! I'M GONNA FLAGELLATE YOU WITH MY FUCKIN' BEARD! I'M GONNA BUILD YOU A PAIR OF RUNIC MECHANICAL BALLS AND USE SURGICAL PRECISION TO SEW THEM TO YOUR GROIN WHERE YOUR MANHOOD OUGHT TO BE JUST SO THAT I CAN KICK 'EM WITH MY IRON FUCKING FEET, YOU TWAT!
>>
>>
File: 1396283114747.jpg (160 KB, 704x822)
160 KB
160 KB JPG
>>
File: 1411205153800.jpg (30 KB, 635x960)
30 KB
30 KB JPG

Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
[Disable Mobile View / Use Desktop Site]

[Enable Mobile View / Use Mobile Site]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.